• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna lie, Rayman looks pretty bad in Brawlhalla. Why is it so hard for Ubisoft to get his design right these days? It was perfect in Rayman 3 and the Rabbids era.

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
I preferred his Rayman 2 design, honestly. I like that his current one takes a bit from both.

Related but kinda not, Rayman, to me, has to have that iconic big ol' nose of his. Every time I see fan art with a shrunken nose it just doesn't seem right... The Brawlhalla design kinda straddles it for me. Then again, we need to appreciate the context of the game. His style was changed to match the game's.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Anyone think we should get a big Twitter account going for rayman in smash? Kind of like how k Rool fans made kremling kampaigner? If we update it regularly and just share fun Rayman facts and fanart? Something like that could be cool!

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
Anyone think we should get a big Twitter account going for rayman in smash? Kind of like how k Rool fans made kremling kampaigner? If we update it regularly and just share fun Rayman facts and fanart? Something like that could be cool!
Absolutely! Let's really energize the Rayman fandom!

I was looking for a piece of Rayman fanart from a few years ago, and as I was doing so I couldn't find it because there was so much new fanart! I'm surprised how many fans the series has now. I thought he was pretty niche, to be honest. So if no one here does it I'll make one myself. :)

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Absolutely! Let's really energize the Rayman fandom!

I was looking for a piece of Rayman fanart from a few years ago, and as I was doing so I couldn't find it because there was so much new fanart! I'm surprised how many fans the series has now. I thought he was pretty niche, to be honest. So if no one here does it I'll make one myself. :)
Ayye I'd be down to start one if everyone's on board, we gotta get as many Rayman fans as possible to join, really make our voices heard!

What would we call the the name of the account

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
One already exists, just been pretty dead because there's not much to do.
https://twitter.com/RaymanForSmash?lang=en

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I am certain Rayman will be DLC considering the great relationship between Nintendo and Ubisoft. Not to mention he had his trophy featured in Sm4sh. If that isn't anything I don't know what is. I never played the games but if the guy does get in I'll definitely try him out since he actually looks fun. :)

Last edited:

Nothgard

Smash Cadet
I heard something that some characters on the mural were DLC. Which honestly makes no sence because if Ubisoft and Nintendo were so close now, why not give Ubisoft a rep in smash already? Ubisoft stated multiple times in how much they wanted Ray to be in Smash.
Maybe one of them, because springman and rex, they must be the first DLC.
all the characters in the banner must be base characters, maybe banjo could be the first DLC.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
With Banjo potentially in, I'll be able to put my full focus on Rayman. Could help if people here pointed out Rayman for Smash fanart to retweet.
Aye sounds awesome!
If you were ever to add admins to that Twitter page I'd totally be down to be one! I could help post Rayman trivia and fan art (crediting the artists of course). Either way I could always find cool stuff to send ya for posting. With dlc on the horizon we really gotta make Rayman's name heard!

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I've said this before, I'll say it again. I'm kind of grateful that Omni did what he did at the right time all those years ago. I was really bummed out, I'll admit, but I honestly don't think Rayman would have been as popular in the ballot as he probably was without Omni's hoax.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I've said this before, I'll say it again. I'm kind of grateful that Omni did what he did at the right time all those years ago. I was really bummed out, I'll admit, but I honestly don't think Rayman would have been as popular in the ballot as he probably was without Omni's hoax.
In hindsight I think it did a lot more good than harm.

It pushes Rayman into the Smash spotlight even further (great timing with the Ballot as well), and it raised the standards on how we should judge leaks.

It may be outclassed if the Grinch leak if that’s fake, but there’s no denying Omni’s Rayman hoax did help in terms of how people now speculate.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I feel like Rayman's gotta be dlc with how close Nintendo and Ubi have been lately, it just makes too much sense
I hope you're right because if its one of those darn annoying overexposed as heck Rabbids (Minions of video games). I know whose becoming my new punching bag...

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Personally, Rabbids are overhated, they are far more likeable than Minions (Also, I think Minions are the Rabbids of cinema, not the other way around. Rabbids came first) Hell, a lot of people really liked Rabbids after playing Kingdom Battle.

Edit: But no, please no Rabbids before Rayman. Thank you.

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Kingdom Battle Rabbids are fine. They were funny and cute with all the mario costumes. I guess I'm just salty for them putting Rayman on the backburner for so long, as well as the first rayman rabbids ending.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
The Rabbids work best when they have something more “sane” to bounce off of (like the earlier Rayman Raving Rabbids games or Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle), when they’re alone, their shtick gets old.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I'd still rather they just not be playable period. Yes, I'm a little salty and bitter, but I absolutely abhor those characters.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Still, if the banner leak was true, I still don't understand why Rayman isn't there. I would imagine since their so close together now he'd be in the base game. A lot more likely than BK thanks to microsoft being kinda distant
Edit: Not anything against Banjo, just that it really doesn't make sense in my mind not to put Rayman

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't think the Rabbids have overtaken Rayman because Rayman Legends was pretty huge. Now the Kingdom Battle game is probably just as Huge though so perhaps I am wrong.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Still, if the banner leak was true, I still don't understand why Rayman isn't there. I would imagine since their so close together now he'd be in the base game. A lot more likely than BK thanks to microsoft being kinda distant
Edit: Not anything against Banjo, just that it really doesn't make sense in my mind not to put Rayman
If I were to guess, the reason would probably be that Rayman is, for lack of a better term, “lower priority”.

I’ve always supported Rayman in Smash, but even I’ll admit support for him didn’t really start until the Smash 4 Trophy was revealed.

Assuming the leak is true, it contains characters that people have been asking to be in for over a decade. Banjo’s inclusion alone would be a huge deal. I can see how Sakurai would want to include the likes of Banjo first before Rayman.

Of course, this is just speculation.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I'm going to say this is right now.

If this banner leak is real and Banjo is in? That is HUGE for a number of reasons.

Banjo being chosen over the likes of Steve proves that fan demand, more than anything else, is the key factor for many characters here. The fact that Banjo, a character who hasn't had a major game in 10 years and good one for even longer, got in over Steve, the face of one of the best selling games of ALL TIME, should tell you everything. Why is this important? It's important because the argument that Rabbids would be prioritized over Rayman is a real thing and has striking parallels to the Banjo/Steve situation, where relevancy is prioritized over popularity. It's clear that Sakurai is looking at characters that were popular on the Ballot and what do you know? Banjo, Isaac, Geno, K. Rool, and more were popular on the Ballot. Granted, we don't have hard numbers on Rayman's performance in the Ballot, but if fan polls such as the Reddit poll are any indication, then Rayman most likely did well.

There's also the fact that with all of these characters being in, that leaves the door wide open for Rayman to be DLC. If Sakurai continues putting in fan favorites as DLC, then I could see Rayman being added in as a way to appeal to the western Smash fanbase. Jon from Gamexplain also put out that prediction about that 2D Rayman space game being exclusive to Switch and considering how close Ubisoft is getting with Nintendo? DLC may finally be our boy's time to shine.

Granted, this is all assuming the leak is real. It's very possible for this to be fake, so don't get pissed off at Sakurai if this is fake. If it's real, though, DLC is going to be very interesting.

Just my two cents on this.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I can't believe I live in a timeline where Banjo, my #2 most wanted, leaves the door wide open for Rayman, my #1.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I cannot help but to chuckle at this. I wonder if Ubisoft after sending them that one then saw the Miiverse post, realized how odd it looked that the decided to "fix it" in a way...even though the final product has some nightmare-ish angles.
I think this is the most likely reason. Back in the day people were sure that the different images meant he was playable, but I always figured the one Sakurai showed us was the one Ancel and Co. made, whereas the one we got was what Ubisoft as a whole approved of.

It's not hard to see that Ancel is a weird and quirky guy, and the people he brings on his teams are likely similar in weirdness, so the original trophy could easily be a manifestation of that. Ubisoft on the other hand, likely wants Rayman portrayed in a certain way, hence the generic version we got in the end. I hope that if Rayman's playable, they use the 1st trophy Sakurai got instead of the new one for reference. The proportions fit much, MUCH better, despite the derpy face and works better in 3 dimensions.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I think this is the most likely reason. Back in the day people were sure that the different images meant he was playable, but I always figured the one Sakurai showed us was the one Ancel and Co. made, whereas the one we got was what Ubisoft as a whole approved of.

It's not hard to see that Ancel is a weird and quirky guy, and the people he brings on his teams are likely similar in weirdness, so the original trophy could easily be a manifestation of that. Ubisoft on the other hand, likely wants Rayman portrayed in a certain way, hence the generic version we got in the end. I hope that if Rayman's playable, they use the 1st trophy Sakurai got instead of the new one for reference. The proportions fit much, MUCH better, despite the derpy face and works better in 3 dimensions.
I have to agree, the first trophy despite how odd it looked, its proportions seemed to be similar in a way to Rayman's model in R3, which like you said, works a lot better in 3D space than the final product that forcefully has to be viewed in a certain angle/position for it to work/replicate the look in 2D, while in any other angle it is put, it looks squished/deformed. And well, I guess they wanted to show something closer to his appearance in RO/RL because relevance I guess.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Thank You Arby's, very cool!

Also, I love how it also references Snake and Cloud. Foreshadowing maybe?
It's likely a reference to the PS1 Classic, seeing as there's also herbs and a typewriter from Resident Evil.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Well, it's all or nothing now.

Let's hope he's playable this time around. If not, let's hope he's not an AT.

Misterfan2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Misterfan2000
In truth, I do not think Rayman appears as an Assist Trophy, why?

Sukapon

Sukapon is a character without limbs, and appears as Assist Trophy, he does what Rayman would do if he were as such.
Rayman as an Assist Trophy would not be very different from what Sukapon would do (Echo-Assist Trophy?), so I think we will not see him in the cursed list.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
God, I hope you're right....
Can anyone name any examples of there being 2 ATs with a similar ability and look in the same game?
Closest I've got is Lakitu and Advance Wars but that their execution differs.

Top Bottom