• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just some food for thought:
Yeah, it is definitely interesting to say the least

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit I'm not really the biggest Rayman fan in terms of games that I played. I only ever beat Legends (and I guess Origins in a way). I do want to try out Rayman Redemption at some point. However, as a kid, the world of the internet made me a big fan of his design and world. It's the same reason I like Banjo and even the Rabbids, which is why I don't have any animosity towards those bunny freaks. In fact, I love slapstick humor in general and I don't mind the screaming. Though I do dislike the Minions because of the lack of slapstick and they actually annoy me.

Side note, if I was only allowed to pick two songs for Rayman among other tunes, it would be these:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I honestly don't understand why we still throw shade at Rabbids, it's been like 12 years or something since they mattered at all.
I stopped with the whole Rabbid hate a long time ago myself after they got separated from Rayman and became their own thing. I know it's frustrating seeing the hero of your childhood become overshadowed by a wacky screaming pest, but...to me personally, that didn't stop me from enjoying Rayman, even just enjoying the older titles like R2 and R3 was enough for me because they were games that marked me as a fan of him, and even getting to try Rayman 1 for the first time...in not the best way possible, that was on mobile and with touch screen controls, but at least I can say I had a taste of what the very first game was like even if...Bandland was my stopgap because it was near impossible to be precise with the controls, then Ubisoft removed the game from the Playstore.

The whole Rabbid overshadowing Rayman thing even inspired me to create personal projects I have developed for many years and that I can finally put together now, mainly focusing on Rayman and his struggle. So, in a way, I have to thank both Rayman and the Rabbids for giving me that boost of inspiration, as well as AC, PoP and so on. Like it is said, if life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

The Rabbids Invasion show has also made me see them in a different light. The humor is pretty basic, but just looking at them hurt themselves in silly antics is undeniably funny. And to make things even funnier, the brand McFarlane Toys, created the first figure of my favorite AC character, and they also did Rabbid stuff so, I began to show them appreciation because of that.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say I loathe the rabbids, I just wish Rayman got a little more love as well. Always was annoyed though how videos and journalists would say that the rabbids had more fans or more success cause I feel it simply isn't true (the only rabbids game to break a million sales without having rayman or Mario attached to them was rabbids go home). I feel like Ubisoft focused on them more cause with their basic design it was easy to make merch and churn out shovelware (rabbids land/rabbids in time) at a fast pace.

Oh, we're just one page away from 100 now.
YOOOOO let's make it to 100 gang!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I wouldn't say I loathe the rabbids, I just wish Rayman got a little more love as well. Always was annoyed though how videos and journalists would say that the rabbids had more fans or more success cause I feel it simply isn't true (the only rabbids game to break a million sales without having rayman or Mario attached to them was rabbids go home). I feel like Ubisoft focused on them more cause with their basic design it was easy to make merch and churn out shovelware (rabbids land/rabbids in time) at a fast pace.
Believe me, despite me not having that visceral hatred for the Rabbids anymore, it still makes me sad that Rayman seems to be still holding on by a thread. But as I said before, working on personal projects getting my imagination to work or to draw and write, enjoying the old titles again (Though Uplay's version of R2 is AWFUL in a modern computer, graphical glitches through the roof...they shouldn't have released it if it was made for Win98/XP) has made me able to handle the lack of a mainline title that resembles R2/R3, but that doesn't mean I don't wish for it.

And yeah, after seeing so much of them and how they work, they're very easy to adapt. Gotta say I love their cosplay stuff, it's great and they did it long before Mario. Though still, I feel Ubisoft has no excuse to not make Rayman merchandise available. I know his design defies the laws of gravity, but they made a Ed plush from Tonic Trouble and they got around the floaty-ness by using strings...and if it's a figure either make him hold onto something like the Lifesize Rayman statue or use transparent supports...But well, that's only for Ubisoft to decide.

Staarih

Smash Master
I feel like the Rabbids are just easier to implement in all kinds of weird, crazy, experimental stuff as they're inherently, well, crazier characters than Rayman. The Rayman "brand" seems to be more conventional or subdued by having him mainly appear in his own platformers and few other appearances. Which is kinda a shame, especially now as all things Rayman are very quiet, but I also kinda get it.

Anyway, I'm so ready for new Rayman if only to know he ain't dead haha. Though a new Mario+Rabbids would also be welcome, I loved the first one and the stronger ties to Nintendo the better.

Last edited:

Misterfan2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Misterfan2000
Just some food for thought:
Yes, it also bothers me a lot that, having a very good relationship (so good that Nintendo has allowed Ubisoft to use three of their IPs), Ubisoft still does not have a playable character in Smash.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
If Rayman doesn't become playable, then a Mii costume is the best I could hope for. It would suck, but what can you do.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Man if all this speculation and suspense only ends with a mii .......
View attachment 300824
I wouldn’t be certain that is gonna be happening, keep in mind that these Mii Costumes (Cuphead, Sans, Vault Boy, Bomberman) worked because were not that expression driven, a Rayman Mii Costume would look (and Sakurai would Agree with this sentiment) horrendous to sell as a Mii Costume because of how expressive Rayman looks in his Games, to put a Rayman Mii Costume in with only one expression in Gameplay would be worsened for Consumers who wanted a Playable DLC Character version of that Character (especially being a floaty character with no limbs).

Last edited:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
but guyyyyyys, the Minecraft costumes are limbless. Rayman as a costume is obvious. Wrap it up.

:4pacman:
Limbless isn’t impossible, the Rayman facial headgear however is impossible to make it look good. No one is gonna buy a Rayman Mii Costume that only has a blank expressive reaction

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Hate playing devil's advocate, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be a whole head replacement. It could just be the limbless body and instead of replacing the head they just give the mii Rayman's hair. Like, look at poor Geno who everyone was so sure would get at least a new head:
1611872672886.png

No I'm not saying Mii is likely. No I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer a deluxe costume. I'd just rather be cautious with what I'm confident in.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Rayman's best shot is if Crash proves to be too expensive to get for this pass.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Rayman's best shot is if Crash proves to be too expensive to get for this pass.
I highly doubt it would be a "settling for Rayman" thing, that's just not how Nintendo's decision-making should work. All of these characters were decided far in advance, so I doubt that if Crash got rejected for financial reasons that Nintendo would go "Oh so we'll just add Rayman instead. Same thing, right?" Wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I highly doubt it would be a "settling for Rayman" thing, that's just not how Nintendo's decision-making should work. All of these characters were decided far in advance, so I doubt that if Crash got rejected for financial reasons that Nintendo would go "Oh so we'll just add Rayman instead. Same thing, right?" Wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint.
Rayman's still a fairly recognizable icon to gamers, maybe not to the same degree as Crash and maybe not as popular in Japan, but he does carry a solid legacy

MattX20

Smash Hero
They could give him the chain grab from Rayman 3/Raving Rabbids to grab opponents from far away

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I don't know how many fan remixes of Rayman tunes you guys know but this one is a personal favorite of mine.
I know it wouldn't work for smash, but this remix of the Suspense theme from Rayman 1 slaps hard!

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
This Tricky Treasure remix wasn't done that long ago. Exactly the kind of music I could picture in a Rayman reveal trailer

Edit: Speaking of reveal trailers, I had the wildest idea for a Rayman reveal trailer, but I'm not sure if I should share it right now or get off my lazy ass and storyboard it for y'all lol

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
This Tricky Treasure remix wasn't done that long ago. Exactly the kind of music I could picture in a Rayman reveal trailer

Edit: Speaking of reveal trailers, I had the wildest idea for a Rayman reveal trailer, but I'm not sure if I should share it right now or get off my lazy ass and storyboard it for y'all lol
Gosh dang that remix sounds perfect for a smash trailer!!

And considering how phenomenal your other drawings were I'd love to see a storyboard!

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman

This one is ****ing great. Man I hope that 4chan leak ends up becoming true but since it was posted in a prediction thread, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Top Bottom