• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Obviously YouTube going down is proof that Rayman will be in the game.

His inclusion is so hype, one of the biggest websites in the world exploded.

:p

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Oh wow! That looks pretty authentic. Good work!

Looking forward to see the rest of the video.
Thank you very much! Took me longer than I expected to execute! Hopefully the video will be done soon ^-^.. glad you and everyone enjoyed

If by "authentic", you mean "clearly drawn by hand/in Microsoft Paint", then yes. That isn't a bad thing, by the way — it is legitimately quite well-drawn — but calling it truly authentic to Ultimate's art style is a massive stretch.
well, I didn't tried to hide the fact I drawn these (and I don't have the skills to make renders of the quality of Smash Ultimate; to add up, I wouldn't use anyone's work on this).

I know it's amateurish and rough, but I appreciate the compliment of my attempt as well

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
So if Rayman isn't playable, what would we expect his presence to be instead? As cool as the trophies were, I'd at least hope he appeared as an Assist (assuming he isn't being considered for DLC, of course).

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
So if Rayman isn't playable, what would we expect his presence to be instead? As cool as the trophies were, I'd at least hope he appeared as an Assist (assuming he isn't being considered for DLC, of course).
Assist Trophy or Stage are the next best things. With a stage we'd also get a music collection, surely.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
He would probably be an Assist Trophy. That or they would import the Smash 4 Trophies into Ultimate.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'd rather have nothing if he's not playable. At least then I can hope for DLC

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The problem is that Polokus being the Bubble Dreamer is a plot hole. Origins and Legends are somewhere between Rayman 1 and 2. And Rayman meets Polokus in Rayman 2, he didn't know him before.

I really want Rayman 4, the one that Murfy teased at the beginning of Rayman 3. Damn I miss a real Rayman... But hey, once Beyond Good and Evil 2 is finished, they'll make it !
Wait.. Origins has to be after Rayman 3, seeing as Land of the Livid Dead is a thing, there's at least one Teensie that likes disco music (introduced in 3) and all the Lums are now anthropomorphic like Andre.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman

Real talk, though. It'd be a neat shout-out, sure, but his fate would be sealed at that point. Plus we already have Sukapon.
Either give me the real deal (or atleast a trophy to mess around with in photo mode) or give me nothing at all.

Side note: Can we all take a moment to appreciate how clean & fun Rayman looks in SSF2? Please tell me I'm not alone on that.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I guess. I just dont care about regular trophies enough to feel any kind of way about them
Well as Smash 4 showed us, characters who were Trophies in the base game could still be eligible as DLC (Mewtwo for example).

It would be a case where he can be represented, but still have a chance at DLC. A role like an Assist Trophy seems a lot more permanent.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Real talk, though. It'd be a neat shout-out, sure, but his fate would be sealed at that point. Plus we already have Sukapon.
Either give me the real deal/a trophy to mess around with in photo mode, or give me nothing at all.

Side note: Can we all take a moment to appreciate how clean & fun Rayman looks in SSF2? Please tell me I'm not alone on that.
I like SSF2 Rayman from what I've seen, but I really wish there was a purple lum swing, and body shot. A lot of stuff just seems there ya know?

Well as Smash 4 showed us, characters who were Trophies in the base game could still be eligible as DLC (Mewtwo for example).

It would be a case where he can be represented, but still have a chance at DLC. A role like an Assist Trophy seems a lot more permanent.
Double post but idc because editing in a quote to an edit is a pain on Sb.

I know trophies dont hurt his chances as DLC, but they just lost their luster for me a long time ago. Trophies used to be the only way to see a 3D model for some characters, now they're just a collectable that I don't have time for.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918

Either give me the real deal/a trophy to mess around with in photo mode, or give me nothing at all.

You are definitely not alone, SSF2 Rayman is looking super fun especially with that vicious Down-Air spike, I can’t wait to use that once he and the other characters come out.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Double post but idc because editing in a quote to an edit is a pain on Sb.

I know trophies dont hurt his chances as DLC, but they just lost their luster for me a long time ago. Trophies used to be the only way to see a 3D model for some characters, now they're just a collectable that I don't have time for.
Ah, a case of diminishing returns.

Still love collecting them myself though I understand how one could get tired of them.

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
You are definitely not alone, SSF2 Rayman is looking super fun especially with that vicious Down-Air spike, I can’t wait to use that once he and the other characters come out.
I'm so glad he made it into SSF2 in general. I thought that all they were really aiming for in that game was porting over the roster from the first SSF.

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
Here's a video detailing his moveset in SSF2, and I'm stoked for it.

https://youtu.be/v5-APNKeuLU

After hearing the arguments, I'd say I'd now prefer a trophy instead, that way DLC is an option. I guess I was thinking about the possibility of an appearance in a future title maybe, though I did forget about Sukapon.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Here's a video detailing his moveset in SSF2, and I'm stoked for it.

https://youtu.be/v5-APNKeuLU

After hearing the arguments, I'd say I'd now prefer a trophy instead, that way DLC is an option. I guess I was thinking about the possibility of an appearance in a future title maybe, though I did forget about Sukapon.
Not really too big on Smash fan games, but I’m really liking what I see here.

I can already tell the plum will be the bane of a couple of people’s existence.
Uh-oh. I recently saw this in the General Speculation thread...

Suddenly, new franchises look a lot less likely.
Hm, it’s a bit disappointing, but I’ve been having my doubts about Rayman being in the base game for a while, so this was kind of expected.

Just hope they fix the stage select menu if 103 is the total amount.

I'm totally expecting any more third-parties (except for Shadow if he's in the base) to be DLC now.

I think it makes the most sense considering the money would probably be easier to distribute to the respected third-party companies through DLC.

Don't give up on Rayman he's still very possible for DLC.

However I do still think it's possible that Coro Coro could've messed up and we do have 5 more stages coming. It does fit in perfectly with the stage selection screen.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Just passing by to show my full support for Rayman, one my favorite character of all time with Olimar.

I don't care about the Brawlhalla inclusion, coro coro leak and stuff, I just want to show my support despise his chances. He's a very good candidate for Smash Bros since :ultbayonetta: was added to Sm4sh. I say this because a lot of people don't find him as iconic as Sonic or Pac-man (wich is a fair argument) but if the witch can make it in, and Rayman beeing an older character, supporting Nintendo since the late 90's and having support and history (with his trophy in Sm4sh), I think he can join the roster, base or DLC.

I would like to join the Rayman supporter list.

But if I can throw my opinion...

I know that despise Lucas and Mewtwo beeing trophy in Sm4sh, they becamed playable fighters as DLC. However, they are Nintendo characters, and old veterans. Rayman is a third party character, and him getting a trophy in Smash Bros was already a lot... And honestly, I don't see him as an assist trophy.

I think that Sakurai know the moveset potential of a character, and if they make it in as an assist, it's probably that they don't fit the bill for beeing a playable character, but they have one big aspect that can be used in an assist trophy. That's why I don't think Shantae could be an assist. Yeah, she has the hair whip, but she's a genie, she can transform into animals, use Risky's boot tools and weapons and use special items wich are more than enough for a full moveset, she's not only knowed for her hair.

Rayman doesn't have legs, arms or a neck, and is very agile in his last 2D games. He can also fly with his helicopter hair, throw energy balls throw with his hands (Even if he only does that in Rayman 2 and the spin-off like Rayman M/Rush) grapple onto purple lums (wich could be a good idea for a recovery)use special power-up from Rayman 3 wich could all be use as special moves, and you could litteraly port all of his attack from Origins/Legends as tilts, aerials and Smash attack! Or even use more out-landish stuff like the plump! Rayman has way more than one signature move, and that would be kind of a waste to just make him punch if he was an assist.

Edit: Sorry if my english is weird, I'm french.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Just passing by to show my full support for Rayman, one my favorite character of all time with Olimar.

I don't care about the Brawlhalla inclusion, coro coro leak and stuff, I just want to show my support despise his chances. He's a very good candidate for Smash Bros since :ultbayonetta: was added to Sm4sh. I say this because a lot of people don't find him as iconic as Sonic or Pac-man (wich is a fair argument) but if the witch can make it in, and Rayman beeing an older character, supporting Nintendo since the late 90's and having support and history (with his trophy in Sm4sh), I think he can join the roster, base or DLC.

I would like to join the Rayman supporter list.

But if I can throw my opinion...

I know that despise Lucas and Mewtwo beeing trophy in Sm4sh, they becamed playable fighters as DLC. However, they are Nintendo characters, and old veterans. Rayman is a third party character, and him getting a trophy in Smash Bros was already a lot... And honestly, I don't see him as an assist trophy.

I think that Sakurai know the moveset potential of a character, and if they make it in as an assist, it's probably that they don't fit the bill for beeing a playable character, but they have one big aspect that can be used in an assist trophy. That's why I don't think Shantae could be an assist. Yeah, she has the hair whip, but she's a genie, she can transform into animals, use Risky's boot tools and weapons and use special items wich are more than enough for a full moveset, she's not only knowed for her hair.

Rayman doesn't have legs, arms or a neck, and is very agile in his last 2D games. He can also fly with his helicopter hair, throw energy balls throw with his hands (Even if he only does that in Rayman 2 and the spin-off like Rayman M/Rush) grapple onto purple lums (wich could be a good idea for a recovery)use special power-up from Rayman 3 wich could all be use as special moves, and you could litteraly port all of his attack from Origins/Legends as tilts, aerials and Smash attack! Or even use more out-landish stuff like the plump! Rayman has way more than one signature move, and that would be kind of a waste to just make him punch if he was an assist.

Edit: Sorry if my english is weird, I'm french.
First of all, welcome to the Glade of Dreams!
61410CE6-2BB5-44AE-A08B-CE1E2F49E6A3.gif

Secondly, you do up a good point about 1st Party Trophies and 3rd Party Trophies. That being said, I still believe that a 3rd Party who’s a Trophy still has a better chance of becoming a fighter than one who’s an Assist Trophy.

Though as sad as it may be, even a character with incredible moveset potential can still get the Assist Trophy treatment. I’m characters such as Isaac fall in that regard.

Still, if he can get past that obstacle, I think he has a pretty good shot as DLC.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
First of all, welcome to the Glade of Dreams!
View attachment 170922

Secondly, you do up a good point about 1st Party Trophies and 3rd Party Trophies. That being said, I still believe that a 3rd Party who’s a Trophy still has a better chance of becoming a fighter than one who’s an Assist Trophy.

Though as sad as it may be, even a character with incredible moveset potential can still get the Assist Trophy treatment. I’m characters such as Isaac fall in that regard.

Still, if he can get past that obstacle, I think he has a pretty good shot as DLC.
I mean Shovel Knight went from trophy to AT. I don't know many more examples, but there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of evidence that 3rd parties that had trophies are more likely to be playable.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I mean Shovel Knight went from trophy to AT. I don't know many more examples, but there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of evidence that 3rd parties that had trophies are more likely to be playable.
Shovel Knight never had a Trophy, just went straight to Assist Trophy.

A regular Trophy requires a stationary 3D model, while an Assist Trophy uses animations and attacks. While an Assist Trophy does sound like it would be easier to translate to a fighter, the role of an Assist Trophy feels a bit more “permanent” if that makes any sense.

If development team went through the effort of making a model, animating it, giving it hit boxes, etc. for just an Assist, there may be little incentive to upgrade that character into a fighter. And if it’s a 3rd Party character, there may be even less incentive.

Of course, this is just speculation on my end and the possibility of upgrading Assist Trophies isn’t impossible, I don’t see it as likely.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
The only way I could see an assist trophy in Ultimate beeing upgraded to a playable fighter is, if we get a smash ballot, and if these AT character have a lot of votes...

As much as people make fun of some Waluigi fans, if they still ask for him and stay active, they could make the difference in a Smash ballot.

However, I don't think the new AT of Ultimate could get this treatment. If Bomberman is an assist, I think that's because they were candidates with "higher priority", especially in the third party realm of characters.
But character that were AT since Sm4sh/Brawl and are still AT in Ultimate COULD be upgraded to playable fighters with a Smash Ballot in my opinion.

But that's pretty much more of a theory than anything, and even if we got a Smash ballot for Ultimate, there will probably be new characters that people will vote for.

Also, I'm pretty sure this has already been talked about but... If I remember correctly, during the pre-release Sm4sh era, in one miiverse post, Sakurai said that he contacted Ubisoft to get the rights/concept art(I'm not sure about that tbh) of Rayman, and Ubisoft agreed and send them 3D models of Rayman, Globox and Barbara for their trophies. Sakurai was surprised to get those models if I remember correctly.
The fact that Ubisoft had 3D models of Rayman,Globox and Barbara in the first place still surprise me, since Legends and Origins were 2D games. And the Rayman/Globox models are too different from Rayman 2/3, they have the Legends design in 3D. I don't think they used it for marketing purpose, so that pretty much mean that they did it for Smash, even tho Sakurai just only ask to get the rights for the characters.

So, I'm pretty sure it mean that Ubisoft Montpellier would be more than happy to see the limbless wonder in Smash. I know it's hard to prove if third party companies want their characters in Smash, but I think Ubisoft would be willing to give the rights and even help Sakurai and the Smash dev team to create Rayman in Smash. Ubisoft Montpellier and Michel Ancel have a real passion for video games , and if they can get a character in Smash, they know that Rayman is the best candidate ; just look at Brawlhalla, they could have decide to use any other character, even the rabbids, but they went with Rayman.

So, it's pretty much up to Sakurai right now. I'm still sure he's going to be DLC, since we already have a new third party in the base game (:ultsimon::ultrichter:) and since we're getting less characters, I don't think we're going to get Rayman now, especially with the very possible SE rep (Geno, Sora, a DQ Character, ect...).

Or maybe he's going to be an assist and is held on for the last Smash direct.
If he is... I hope he get the Alucard treatment, and be a assist with 3 differents way of attacking/moving, ect... So he stand out a bit much than the others.

I just want him to get more love, so we have more Rayman games. Getting in as a playable character would be a dream come true, but if he's in Ultimate in any shape of form, I would be happy !

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The only way I could see an assist trophy in Ultimate beeing upgraded to a playable fighter is, if we get a smash ballot, and if these AT character have a lot of votes...

As much as people make fun of some Waluigi fans, if they still ask for him and stay active, they could make the difference in a Smash ballot.

However, I don't think the new AT of Ultimate could get this treatment. If Bomberman is an assist, I think that's because they were candidates with "higher priority", especially in the third party realm of characters.
But character that were AT since Sm4sh/Brawl and are still AT in Ultimate COULD be upgraded to playable fighters with a Smash Ballot in my opinion.

But that's pretty much more of a theory than anything, and even if we got a Smash ballot for Ultimate, there will probably be new characters that people will vote for.

Also, I'm pretty sure this has already been talked about but... If I remember correctly, during the pre-release Sm4sh era, in one miiverse post, Sakurai said that he contacted Ubisoft to get the rights/concept art(I'm not sure about that tbh) of Rayman, and Ubisoft agreed and send them 3D models of Rayman, Globox and Barbara for their trophies. Sakurai was surprised to get those models if I remember correctly.
The fact that Ubisoft had 3D models of Rayman,Globox and Barbara in the first place still surprise me, since Legends and Origins were 2D games. And the Rayman/Globox models are too different from Rayman 2/3, they have the Legends design in 3D. I don't think they used it for marketing purpose, so that pretty much mean that they did it for Smash, even tho Sakurai just only ask to get the rights for the characters.

So, I'm pretty sure it mean that Ubisoft Montpellier would be more than happy to see the limbless wonder in Smash. I know it's hard to prove if third party companies want their characters in Smash, but I think Ubisoft would be willing to give the rights and even help Sakurai and the Smash dev team to create Rayman in Smash. Ubisoft Montpellier and Michel Ancel have a real passion for video games , and if they can get a character in Smash, they know that Rayman is the best candidate ; just look at Brawlhalla, they could have decide to use any other character, even the rabbids, but they went with Rayman.

So, it's pretty much up to Sakurai right now. I'm still sure he's going to be DLC, since we already have a new third party in the base game (:ultsimon::ultrichter:) and since we're getting less characters, I don't think we're going to get Rayman now, especially with the very possible SE rep (Geno, Sora, a DQ Character, ect...).

If he is... I hope he get the Alucard treatment, and be a assist with 3 differents way of attacking/moving, ect... So he stand out a bit much than the others.

I just want him to get more love, so we have more Rayman games. Getting in as a playable character would be a dream come true, but if he's in Ultimate in any shape of form, I would be happy !
Erg... I have mixed feelings about your post. The idea of promoting Assist Trophies fills me with hope, but then you go and diss Bomberman, the subject of that hope... :mad: Argh!!

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Erg... I have mixed feelings about your post. The idea of promoting Assist Trophies fills me with hope, but then you go and diss Bomberman, the subject of that hope... :mad:Argh!!
That's why I used quotation marks in "higher prority" when I was talking about Bomberman. I know he has a potential moveset, I'm not someone who would say "He just drop bombs, duh". I just think making a new assist in Ultimate just to upgrade him right away with DLC seem... Weird.

I think he could have been a newcomer if ultimate's theme wasn't "EVERYONE IS HERE!" since this mean less newcomers, and the one we got are either huge fan-favorites, big Nintendo character or third party. And since :ultsimon::ultrichter: are the new third party rep...

But hey, we never know, maybe he's going to upgraded, or going to be a newcomer in Smash 6. But I'm sure that Bomberman will get more popularity with the casual audience, since he's one of the new BIG assist trophies.

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice

Someone mentioned earlier, those trophy models were used in a trailer for Legends. I still don't think Ubisoft would oppose his appearance in Smash, but the model idea has been debunked already.

D

Deleted member

Do we know the full story behind the Wii U trophies?

Why did Sakurai decide to add them?
Was Ubisoft saving the models expecting Sakurai to call them anyday?
Why haven't we seen the models used outside Smash 4?

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Do we know the full story behind the Wii U trophies?

Why did Sakurai decide to add them?
Was Ubisoft saving the models expecting Sakurai to call them anyday?
Why haven't we seen the models used outside Smash 4?
From what I understand, Nintendo published Rayman Legends in Japan.

That’s probably one of the main reasons they added them in, though there’s no official word on that. It could have also been done as a “thank you” to Ubisoft in some form.

Ubisoft just sending them models out of the blue is also pretty unlikely, what Sakurai wrote in the Miiverse post implied his team intended to make the Trophies themselves.

D

Deleted member

From what I understand, Nintendo published Rayman Legends in Japan.

That’s probably one of the main reasons they added them in, though there’s no official word on that. It could have also been done as a “thank you” to Ubisoft in some form.

Ubisoft just sending them models out of the blue is also pretty unlikely, what Sakurai wrote in the Miiverse post implied his team intended to make the Trophies themselves.
True.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I thought that model definitely needed some work the moment I saw it from all the other angles.
Speaking of which, anyone else noticed how the final model is different from the one in the original Miiverse post?
Consolation Prize.jpg
VS.
RaymanTrophyWiiU.png

...weird.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Yeah, I thought that model definitely needed some work the moment I saw it from all the other angles.
Speaking of which, anyone else noticed how the final model is different from the one in the original Miiverse post?
View attachment 171103
VS.
View attachment 171104

...weird.
I cannot help but to chuckle at this. I wonder if Ubisoft after sending them that one then saw the Miiverse post, realized how odd it looked that the decided to "fix it" in a way...even though the final product has some nightmare-ish angles.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
View attachment 171103
VS.
View attachment 171104

...weird.
The old model looks remarkably better, aside from the derp face.

The new one was clearly made with the intent of being viewed from one angle, which is why Rayman’s face looks all smooshed.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I support made some icons of his friends to, check the master list in my sig.

Top Bottom