• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
The weird part is that I have played tiny little bits of Rayman 2 and Rayman Origins before. I will admit to being on the fence as of right now about the, how do I word this, lack of character in Origins? Not sure if that's the term I want but I did take notice of how Rayman and Co. tend to stick with silly animations and gesture's compared to their speaking roles and more fleshed out personalities in Rayman 2.
There’s a reason for that.

When Origins was initially announced, it was a prequel to the very first game. It followed Rayman and Globox as they went from buffoons to the heroes they’re known as in other games.

At some point in development, it was changed from a prequel to a sequel to Rayman 3, and pretty much all sense of story was removed. The game’s manual does have a brief synopsis on what could have been the original game’s plot though.

Michel Ancel also stated that Rayman and friends aren’t necessarily stupid in Origins/Legends unlike what was shown in the original trailer for Origins, just “simple” and “carefree”.

Rayman Origins is a phenomenal game, but it’s change in direction story wise has always bothered me.

I thought the game would be what bridges the first Rayman game with the second and third (and to some extent it does, we have the return of not only Betilla but Polokus as well), it’s just a missed opportunity they didn’t expand it even more.

Plus the version of Rayman 2 I've had the opportunity to try was the N64 version. And from what I hear, it's the PS2 version that's the way to go with that game.
Dreamcast and PS2 are often considered the best. N64 is serviceable, it just doesn’t have as high quality music.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

When Origins was initially announced, it was a prequel to the very first game. It followed Rayman and Globox as they went from buffoons to the heroes they’re known as in other games.

At some point in development, it was changed from a prequel to a sequel to Rayman 3, and pretty much all sense of story was removed. The game’s manual does have a brief synopsis on what could have been the original game’s plot though.

Michel Ancel also stated that Rayman and friends aren’t necessarily stupid in Origins/Legends unlike what was shown in the original trailer for Origins, just “simple” and “carefree”.

Rayman Origins is a phenomenal game, but it’s change in direction story wise has always bothered me.

I thought the game would be what bridges the first Rayman game with the second and third (and to some extent it does, we have the return of not only Betilla but Polokus as well), it’s just a missed opportunity they didn’t expand it even more.

Dreamcast and PS2 are often considered the best. N64 is serviceable, it just doesn’t have as high quality music.
Honestly I get where you're coming from, it's how I felt about Rayman 1 transitioning to Rayman 2 ("Who are all these characters?! They weren't in the 1st game!!"), but with the current setting of Origins and Legends, I think I see what's up with the inconsistencies between games:

They likely take place centuries apart from the last, which allows them to reinvent some areas with only a faint resemblance to the previous time we visited it. Desert of Digeridoos is turning into a foul wasteland, and Gourmand Land seems to be turning back into the Candy Chateau. Centuries is plenty of time for Rayman to make new lifelong friends and treat them like they've known eachother for a long time, cuz technically, he has. That's the perfect excuse to introduce new faces like it's nothing.

There's also the likelihood that Polokus's emotional state affects everyone else's in their own ways, since he's the Spirit and God of the world. That's probably one reason why his creations try to keep him in a positive mood; if he's feeling good his positivity will radiate to them and they'll feel good, plus he won't create nightmares as easily from being in a negative attitude. He seems carefree and fun-loving in Origins and many of the good characters reflect that. He's like some type of reality warper that is emotionally linked to everyone, which would explain why Rayman is so energetic and positive (though brutally violent) now.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Honestly I get where you're coming from, it's how I felt about Rayman 1 transitioning to Rayman 2 ("Who are all these characters?! They weren't in the 1st game!!"), but with the current setting of Origins and Legends, I think I see what's up with the inconsistencies between games:

They likely take place centuries apart from the last, which allows them to reinvent some areas with only a faint resemblance to the previous time we visited it. Desert of Digeridoos is turning into a foul wasteland, and Gourmand Land seems to be turning back into the Candy Chateau. Centuries is plenty of time for Rayman to make new lifelong friends and treat them like they've known eachother for a long time, cuz technically, he has. That's the perfect excuse to introduce new faces like it's nothing.

There's also the likelihood that Polokus's emotional state affects everyone else's in their own ways, since he's the Spirit and God of the world. That's probably one reason why his creations try to keep him in a positive mood; if he's feeling good his positivity will radiate to them and they'll feel good, plus he won't create nightmares as easily from being in a negative attitude. He seems carefree and fun-loving in Origins and many of the good characters reflect that. He's like some type of reality warper that is emotionally linked to everyone, which would explain why Rayman is so energetic and positive (though brutally violent) now.
The Rayman series’ lack of consistent lore is probably like my only real gripe with it.

You bring up a good point about how Polokus is probably the one who causes all these changes. But like, the series has really good foundation for very interesting lore, wish they took advantage of it. :\

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The Rayman series’ lack of consistent lore is probably like my only real gripe with it.

You bring up a good point about how Polokus is probably the one who causes all these changes. But like, the series has really good foundation for very interesting lore, wish they took advantage of it. :\
Yea, seriously. I don't really know of another game that has that premise. It could be deeper than we see them portray it, but they're giving us surface level stuff.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I'll be honest here. Rather have Rayman than Banjo Kazooie too since the game over of that game scared the crap out of a young me. But if it's Banjo that's fine since Microsoft did him dirty thanks to their whole lego cars game.

Anyway' hoping to watch the direct but Hurricane Florence is blowing really hard over here so I dunno if I'll miss it

D

Deleted member

I'll be honest here. Rather have Rayman than Banjo Kazooie too since the game over of that game scared the crap out of a young me. But if it's Banjo that's fine since Microsoft did him dirty thanks to their whole lego cars game.

Anyway' hoping to watch the direct but Hurricane Florence is blowing really hard over here so I dunno if I'll miss it
Do your best to stay safe out there.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529

Stay careful out there! Smash hype can wait a little longer.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

As another person who’ll be hit by Hurricane Florence as well, stay safe.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

It's quite interesting and perhaps bittersweet how I've seen 2 be loved so much- because I had always remembered Rayman being kind of "zany", especially since having played the demo Rayman 3 in one of the electronic stores along with Wind Waker - back when I was wee 6 years old or so.

Many years later I'd play Rayman Advance, which had that slight Looney Tunes-feel to it, and me seeing Rayman as a "wacky" series kind of stuck. The existence of Rabbids took it even higher, since their proto-Minions humor spun off to it's own thing.

So when Origins and Legends came, to me it all felt such natural "progression", or a "reboot" back to the series' comedy-style origins when I remembered back to Rayman 3 + 1 - except it all became hella awesome.

Now this is not to say Rayman 2 is some black sheep in the series IMO - the game feels really otherworldly and strong enough to give Rayman workings of his own big story-driven stuff. - I just feel that zany and light-hearted tone has clearly been more consistent direction in most of Rayman-games up to this point, giving it much more vivid and clear identity on itself than saym Sonic-series has today. Maybe that's why the devs decided to stick on low-story substance in favour of "wacky" style we see in Origins and Legends.

Now here's a catch: if they brought back the tone and style of Rayman 2 into the next 3D-Rayman, they'd could allow that all be reborn as standard for 3D Rayman-games again. From there, they'd able to split the two drastically different tones the series of 2 and Origins, into their own series of 2D-Rayman and 3D-Rayman respectively. Kinda like what 3D-Marios and 2D-Marios have done so far.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
It's quite interesting and perhaps bittersweet how I've seen 2 be loved so much, especially because I always had remembered Rayman as kind of "zany", especially after having played the demo Rayman 3 in one of the electronic stores along with Wind Waker back when I was wee 6 years old or so.

Many years later I'd play Rayman Advance, which had that slight Looney Tunes-feel to it, and me seeing Rayman as a "wacky" series kind of stuck, especially when Rabbids took it even higher, and then spun off to it's own thing. Then came Origins and Legends, and that sort of just felt natural when I remembered back to Rayman 3 + 1 - except it all became hella awesome.

Now this is not to say Rayman 2 is some black sheep in the series IMO - the game feels really otherworldly and strong enough to give Rayman workings of his own big story-driven stuff. - I just feel that zany and light-hearted tone has clearly been more consistent direction in most of Rayman-games up to this point, giving it much more vivid and clear identity on itself than saym Sonic-series has today. Maybe that's why the devs decided to stick on low-story substance in favour of "wacky" style we see in Origins and Legends.

Now here's a catch: if they brought back the tone and style of Rayman 2 into the next 3D-Rayman, they'd could allow that all be reborn as standard for 3D Rayman-games again. From there, they'd able to split the two drastically different tones the series of 2 and Origins, into their own series of 2D-Rayman and 3D-Rayman respectively. Kinda like what 3D-Marios and 2D-Marios have done so far.

I’d still argue that the first three Rayman were similar in their sense of whimsy. They have differing tones, but the worlds do feel (more so in Rayman 2 and 3) in some sense, grounded.

Origins/Legends have remnants of that, but it’s more focused on wacky cartoon shenanigans.

The wacky cartoony nature or Origins/Legends is great, but when the series does make its eventual return, I hope that sense of whimsy from the first three games returns as well.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I’d still argue that the first three Rayman were similar in their sense of whimsy. They have differing tones, but the worlds do feel (more so in Rayman 2 and 3) in some sense, grounded.

Origins/Legends have remnants of that, but it’s more focused on wacky cartoon shenanigans.

The wacky cartoony nature or Origins/Legends is great, but when the series does make its eventual return, I hope that sense of whimsy from the first three games returns as well.
Hmmh, that'd make most sense. Whimsy is good definition here...

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
SegaNintendoUbisoft SegaNintendoUbisoft TrainerFireRed TrainerFireRed

Stay safe, my Raybros. I got hit by Irma last year, that wasn't pretty at all.

---

Rayman lore is weird but I like how Origins tried to tie some things from the past together by bringing up Polokus and Jano, the Guardian of the Cave of Bad Dreams. Jano being the creator of the anti-toons And Rayman essentially being created just to fight Jano, which forced his retreat into the Cave of Bad Dreams. I hope they tie more strings like that in future games.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Stay safe you too! Rayman/Smash hype isn't important as your well being!

I personally hope that future Rayman games can have some of both the Whimsy of the trilogy and the Zany antics of Origins/Legends, even if they just alternate between games or what have you.

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
I personally hope that future Rayman games can have some of both the Whimsy of the trilogy and the Zany antics of Origins/Legends, even if they just alternate between games or what have you.
I would argue Origins/Legends still do have quite a bit of that whimsical, almost fairytale-esque feeling to them (just to a lesser scale to make way for the more comedic visual style that Ubisoft undertook). Take, for example, the incredible music that plays during the Legends level "Enchanted Forest":

It's so...dreamy. Yeah, it doesn't last for long during the level itself, but it very much makes me feel that same feeling that the trilogy does for me; the feeling of a brave little limbless hero setting off on a grand adventure, eager for both what awaits him and also doing what's right (whether it be saving Teensies or setting off to defeat Mr Dark). It also helps that the green forest scenery during this section is absolutely gorgeous too!

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I would argue Origins/Legends still do have quite a bit of that whimsical, almost fairytale-esque feeling to them (just to a lesser scale to make way for the more comedic visual style that Ubisoft undertook). Take, for example, the incredible music that plays during the Legends level "Enchanted Forest":

It's so...dreamy. Yeah, it doesn't last for long during the level itself, but it very much makes me feel that same feeling that the trilogy does for me; the feeling of a brave little limbless hero setting off on a grand adventure, eager for both what awaits him and also doing what's right (whether it be saving Teensies or setting off to defeat Mr Dark). It also helps that the green forest scenery during this section is absolutely gorgeous too!
Now that you mention it, it does have those moments. I need to play Legends again soon, relive the wonder.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
We’re officially under one hour!

Could this finally be his time?
801440CE-31E0-4B84-A64B-78B95082E2F1.png
Best of luck to all the other character supporters as well.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
For those that wants Rayman I wish you all the best of luck for this Direct. He's honestly got a good shot in getting in if it makes you all any better based on being a trophy in Smash 4 and good relationship between Ubisoft and Nintendo. Will be bummed if he gets in over Banjo but will be happy for all of you never the less and understand why he might since there'd probably be better negotiations between Nintendo and Ubisoft.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
For those that wants Rayman I wish you all the best of luck for this Direct. He's honestly got a good shot in getting in if it makes you all any better based on being a trophy in Smash 4 and good relationship between Ubisoft and Nintendo. Will be bummed if he gets in over Banjo but will be happy for all of you never the less and understand why he might since there'd probably be better negotiations between Nintendo and Ubisoft.
Our appreciations, my dude! No need to be upset if Rayman makes it in over Banjo, I don't think the appearance of one will affect the other, I'm somewhat confident that we'll see Banjo down the line regardless. They're my #1 and #2 most wanted characters.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Our appreciations, my dude! No need to be upset if Rayman makes it in over Banjo, I don't think the appearance of one will affect the other, I'm somewhat confident that we'll see Banjo down the line regardless. They're my #1 and #2 most wanted characters.
I suppose I just don't know how many more third parties the game might throw whether Base and DLC. :laugh:

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
No Rayman, but the Isabelle fans sure as hell must be happy.
For sure! Ever since Villager got in Smash 4 she has been quite a highly requested character, so I'm incredibly happy for the fans (the thread for her is going crazy right now!). At first I was disappointed while watching the direct as I initially assumed she'd just be an echo of Villager, but seeing her have a (mostly) unique moveset was a great surprise! Always good to see Animal Crossing get some more representation.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Well, that was indeed a thing that happened.

Not really a big Animal Crossing guy (like, at all), but I'm happy for her fans. And hey, imo she looks like she'll be more fun to use than Villager, so that's something. But it looks like we'll have to wait just a little longer for our limbless boy...

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I love Isabelle and all but tbh that direct was preeeeetty underwhelming and I'm not just talking about Smash. Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing are great announcements though.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So this could be a load of nothing, but I thought to share it anyway.

Jon Cartwright from GameXplain said in their Direct predictions discussion said predicted that:
  • Kirby’s Epic Yarn would come to 3DS
  • FF7, FF9, FF10, and FF12 (specifically those games I may add) would come to Switch.
  • Isabelle would be revealed as the Smash fighter as a unique fighter
So what does this have to with Rayman?

In the same discussion, Cartwright predicted that a Switch exclusive Rayman game titled “Rayman Space Adventures” would be shown off.

Of course, that didn’t happen in this Direct. But all the (very specific) predictions he made leads me to believe he has some sort of source. And if this source is completely correct, it looks like a new Rayman game could come sooner rather than later.

Of course, take it with a grain of salt.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
So this could be a load of nothing, but I thought to share it anyway.

Jon Cartwright from GameXplain said in their Direct predictions discussion said predicted that:
  • Kirby’s Epic Yarn would come to 3DS
  • FF7, FF9, FF10, and FF12 (specifically those games I may add) would come to Switch.
  • Isabelle would be revealed as the Smash fighter as a unique fighter
So what does this have to with Rayman?

In the same discussion, Cartwright predicted that a Switch exclusive Rayman game titled “Rayman Space Adventures” would be shown off.

Of course, that didn’t happen in this Direct. But all the (very specific) predictions he made leads me to believe he has some sort of source. And if this source is completely correct, it looks like a new Rayman game could come sooner rather than later.

Of course, take it with a grain of salt.
Rayman Space Adventures? I don't even know what to make out of a title like that? Rayman Galaxy? Hope it's true regardless.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Rayman Space Adventures? I don't even know what to make out of a title like that? Rayman Galaxy? Hope it's true regardless.
Forgot to mention that this supposed game will be in the style of Origins/Legends.

So while we won’t get full on Mario Galaxy, it’s guaranteed to be a quality product, if it exists in the first place anyway.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Forgot to mention that this supposed game will be in the style of Origins/Legends.

So while we won’t get full on Mario Galaxy, it’s guaranteed to be a quality product, if it exists in the first place anyway.
What would be cool is an Origins/Legends styled game that makes more use of the running up walls and the ceiling mechanics, you know, running around planets and stuff. I'd be more than down.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Rayman Space Adventures is... an intriguing concept.

I'd prefer a 3D game, but hey, more Origins/Legends style stuff doesn't hurt at all.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Rayman Space Adventures is... an intriguing concept.

I'd prefer a 3D game, but hey, more Origins/Legends style stuff doesn't hurt at all.
I would too, but the gap between Legends and this supposed game helps lessen the blow of it being another Origins/Legends styled game.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I was scared I was hyped for nothing until the ending. Though I really feel horrible with punching a little dog that helped me make it so my town wasn't overrun with weeds, but she's cute and doesn't use a sword.

Speaking of leaks,didn't that one guy say not to trust a leak without Isabelle and Ken? Because I seen most of the supposed "leaks" had Rayman on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom