• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As soon as it stops working. ;)

I made a moveset for Rayman way back during the Brawl hype but that was mostly based off of Rayman 3. If he were to appear his move set would be based off of Origins and Legends.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Ah, it's fine to revive threads for characters you feel like talking about... Better than starting a new one, t'be sure.

Rayman Origins was a fantastic game, but I'm pretty reluctant to say that he represents Nintendo in any way. The raving rabbids almost represent Nintendo better, actually. Anyone play the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Smash Brosish game? Several of the hidden characters were rabbids while none were Rayman... kind of weird, actually.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Had Legends stayed exclusive, he would have had a greater chance in my mind. Still low chances mostly because of low demand here and especially in Japan.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Thanks Guybrush for reviving this thread! I doubt he'll be getting in thanks to recent events, but I'm always happy to see support for Rayman. He's got plenty of potential.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I was Playing the Free Rayman Challenge App (aka the "Ok, delaying it from under your noses to make it multiplatform was a **** move. Here's our apology") and it's like Rayman has all his tilts and dashes set, just capy over his Legends stuff. That leaves his B moves to be open to stuff from older Rayman games or for the team to get imaginative.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
How is the challenge mode? I know it's free, but would it be worth people's time?

And yea they'd have plenty of source material to work with for a moveset since Origins and Legends have an SSB-like feel already. Its like the work was already finished for Sakurai. I'd just change his "Down Air" (which is a ground pound and we've got too many of those), tweak his "Forward Smash" and "Up Smash", have some specials reference the older games like you said, and come up with my own material.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Challenge App is basically the Demo version with no limit plus they added Weekly and Daily challenges with leader boards. Definetly worth your time even if you have played the demo.

Oh and the levels have all the things left out of the demos like Teensies to save and score screens.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
At this point I feel like all Ubisoft characters, that matter, have equal chances. In a not bad but no good way.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Bumping the because of the awesome costumes that slightly (not really) help Rayman's chances.

I would have preferred the Mario bros being special guest characters and Rayman and Globox getting their own plumber outfits. But this is awesome also.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Lulz

I wonder if the other playable characters will get Mario costumes. (Viking Girl is Peach and Teensies get Toads or Koopas)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Toad Teensies would be the funniest **** ever.

It seems Ubi and Nintendo are still in good standings, and getting rather close, with Ubi being one of the only third parties still actually making games for the Wii U. Even with Legends going multiplatform, Nintendo chose to show it off in one of their Directs and the Wii U version of it has Mario costumes of all things. I'm really hoping this bumps Rayman's chances of becoming a third party Smasher. So many tears of joy if he gets in. ;u;

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Sadly it doesn't do much. But it is a good way to say your sorry for pissing off people and pissing off members of the dev team.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Rayman made it into Smash 4, I would be very happy. His abilities from the games would translate perfectly into Smash

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yea, I definitely agree. I'm not too sure he'll be in the game, but if he did make it...this would be one of my favorite moments in gaming history.

I like the RayMario costume and LuigiBox doesn't look bad either. Here's a little drawing I wanna show in light of the news of those.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Might as well post this here too, since it is the Rayman thread and all.
[collapse=Rayman Moveset]ACombo- Jabs with right fist, then left, finishes with right.
FTilt- Kicks forward, can be angled up or down.
UTilt- Same as ACombo, but upwards.
DTilt- Sweep kick.
Dash- Spins around while swinging fists.
FSmash- His iconic windup punch, can hold the smash indefinately and run and jump with it before releasing.
USmash- Winds up his fist for an upwards punch, but cannot hold the charge.
DSmash- Slams his fist into the ground.
Nair- Whirls around while kicking.
Fair- Kicks out forwards, similar to Mario's.
Uair- Does an upwards flip kick.
Dair- Slams down into the ground with his fist.
Bair- Kicks behind him in a downward motion.
Tether- Telescopic Fist: Throws out his hand for a grab, can be used to grab edges from a distance.
Pummel- Headbutts opponent.
FThrow- Spins opponent around and throws.
UThrow- Spins his hair into a chopper and grinds opponent onto it.
DThrow- Slams opponent onto the ground,
BThrow- Throws them back and kicks them away.
NeutralB- Energy Shot: Can be rapid fired by tapping special, can be charged by holding it then releasing.
SideB- Plum Toss: Throws a plum at the opponent that has a chance to stick onto their head, causing damage for a short while.
UpB- Flying Ring: A flying ring appears and Rayman grabs onto it to swing himself upwards.
DownB- Body Bounce: Throws his torso downwards, when used in the air it acts as a projectile spike.
Final Smash- (Nothing yet)
[/collapse]

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I haven't played a Rayman game since the N64 version. Wasn't there a Gamecube Rayman too? o_o; I wasn't aware this series was still a thing. Yay for Rayman :D

I wish I had those games still...

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
I haven't played a Rayman game since the N64 version. Wasn't there a Gamecube Rayman too? o_o; I wasn't aware this series was still a thing. Yay for Rayman :D

You should really really get rayman origins, best platformer ive played in forever

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
It's nice to see Rayman getting some attention

Might as well post this here too, since it is the Rayman thread and all.
[collapse=Rayman Moveset]ACombo- Jabs with right fist, then left, finishes with right.
FTilt- Kicks forward, can be angled up or down.
UTilt- Same as ACombo, but upwards.
DTilt- Sweep kick.
Dash- Spins around while swinging fists.
FSmash- His iconic windup punch, can hold the smash indefinately and run and jump with it before releasing.
USmash- Winds up his fist for an upwards punch, but cannot hold the charge.
DSmash- Slams his fist into the ground.
Nair- Whirls around while kicking.
Fair- Kicks out forwards, similar to Mario's.
Uair- Does an upwards flip kick.
Dair- Slams down into the ground with his fist.
Bair- Kicks behind him in a downward motion.
Tether- Telescopic Fist: Throws out his hand for a grab, can be used to grab edges from a distance.
Pummel- Headbutts opponent.
FThrow- Spins opponent around and throws.
UThrow- Spins his hair into a chopper and grinds opponent onto it.
DThrow- Slams opponent onto the ground,
BThrow- Throws them back and kicks them away.
NeutralB- Energy Shot: Can be rapid fired by tapping special, can be charged by holding it then releasing.
SideB- Plum Toss: Throws a plum at the opponent that has a chance to stick onto their head, causing damage for a short while.
UpB- Flying Ring: A flying ring appears and Rayman grabs onto it to swing himself upwards.
DownB- Body Bounce: Throws his torso downwards, when used in the air it acts as a projectile spike.
Final Smash- (Nothing yet)
[/collapse]
Cool ideas.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

What rock have you been under? Rayman Legends comes out next month for the Wii U (and other consoles).

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
What rock have you been under? Rayman Legends comes out next month for the Wii U (and other consoles).

I haven't played a Rayman game in years and didn't think about it until I saw this thread. Now I wanna play again. ;__________;

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'm making a video series now where i talk about characters i'd like to see. It will show off moves, the character's chances at getting in, and arguments for and against the character. Rayman will be the first character i talk about.

Also, there was a hilarious argument against Rayman saying he doesn't have a working 3D model skeleton. :laugh:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Rayman is the only third party I would rather have if Professor Layton can't make it in. I like him a lot. :)

Well I guess there is Bomberman as well but yeah.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Peacock, when you post the vid leave a link on this thread.

I played Origins for the first time in a while yesterday, and I was wondering: how tall would Rayman be in Smash? I see him as about the same height as Luigi; MAYBE with his hair being just a bit higher than Luigi's cap, but roughly his height.

OH, and what stages do you guys think would be good? I want Bandland/Desert of Digiridoos or the Fiery side of Gourmad Land or maybe the Land of the Livid Dead.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Maybe a horde of the grannies can invade from time to time like in the 1st cutscenes; they rise out from the bottom like zombies with and those spiky black tentacle obstacles come out too. The grannies attack; they're easy to kill but the black vine things are just hazards that stay for a little while before receeding. They behave like spikes too.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Yknow I don't often post on this forum, but from what I have posted, you can see that I support Rayman more than the popularly requested Pacman.

Smash brought in this 3rd Party thing with Snake and Sonic in Brawl and Megaman (and Sonic again) in Smash 4. But let's be honest, Nintendo and 3rd Parties don't really get along too well. I mean let's not kid ourselves, the Wii U is struggling with lack of 3rd Party. The options are pretty limited on which 3rd Party characters can be added in Smash.

Sega is onboard now that Sonic is confirmed. And Capcom is showing some support with Megaman. Whether or not Snake returns is left to be seen.

Without beating around the bush too much, I feel Ubisoft should get some love since they're one of the few still supporting the Wii U. And who better to represent Ubisoft in this cartoony mascot fighter than their very own Rayman?

Sure, Rayman Legends lost its exclusivity, but reports say the Wii U version sold the best. (Also I read somewhere that Legends was still Wii U exclusive in Japan. Yknow since some of you claim Sakurai is biased toward Japan, I guess that helps his chances a bit xP)

I want to see Rayman in Smash 4 as a thanks from Nintendo to Ubisoft for their support. If Nintendo can't show that, then they really don't care about 3rd parties and that'll only bring them down even more.

Sorry to get all essay on you guys, and I'm sure I've said some controversial things, but I just wanted to give my two cents.

Seriously though, Rayman's attacks in Origins/Legends were pretty much made for Smash Bros. Yknow as standard attacks.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
How is the challenge mode? I know it's free, but would it be worth people's time?

And yea they'd have plenty of source material to work with for a moveset since Origins and Legends have an SSB-like feel already. Its like the work was already finished for Sakurai. I'd just change his "Down Air" (which is a ground pound and we've got too many of those), tweak his "Forward Smash" and "Up Smash", have some specials reference the older games like you said, and come up with my own material.
There's a reason we have a lot of ground pounds, they're great moves.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
There's a reason we have a lot of ground pounds, they're great moves.
They're also pretty freaking common and predictable in smash now, and when you have other Down Air ideas swirling in your head that can be much more unique for Rayman, including a groundpound when about 13 fighters already have it seems like a waste dontcha think?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
:0 Wow! how could be possible that i never saw this thread....Rayman is the hero of my childhood! :3 I like this...and I may not have a moveset for him, but I have done many drawings of him....

:/ hmmm..too bad that this thread hasn't been active for a really long time....

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Rayman is my pipe dream character. I mean shoot Origins/Legends practically gave him a whole Smash moveset of A attacks. Just add a couple of iconic specials and boom! He'd fit right in too!

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Most wanted character hands down. Support fully! (Not to unlikely, most likely 3rd party character after Pac imo)

:0 Wow! how could be possible that i never saw this thread....Rayman is the hero of my childhood! :3 I like this...and I may not have a moveset for him, but I have done many drawings of him....

:/ hmmm..too bad that this thread hasn't been active for a really long time....
I demand the posting of these drawings! partially just to keep this thread alive XD

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Most wanted character hands down. Support fully! (Not to unlikely, most likely 3rd party character after Pac imo)

I demand the posting of these drawings! partially just to keep this thread alive XD
984294_455697291178512_572576772_n.jpg

:3 Here is one I'm kind of proud of.....Rayman and his voice actor David Gasman

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Whelp, this is my favorite character to get into this game (Scratch that, favorite video game character period, this guy is my childhood), and I'm going to keep this thread alive!

So here's my moveset for him!

My moveset borrows heavily from Rayman Origins and Legends, but I tried to incorporate some things from his older games. Rayman is one of the lightest characters in the game, with excellent recovery. Thanks to the fact that his limbs are detached, he has a distinct advantage of having a small hitbox but giant range (Think Donkey Kong's reach.)

Standard combo: 2 punches followed by a kick. The kick stretches out quite a ways, like his walking attacks in Legends.
Dash attack: Spins around with his fists swinging around him, like Legends.
Forward Tilt: His fist grows and he throws it in front of him, like Legends.
Down Tilt: Slams the ground, again like Legends.
Up Tilt:... I think you see the pattern I'm going with this.
Smash Attacks: Rayman does not have your traditional Smash Attacks. Instead, holding down the A button will cause him to start swinging his fists around, charging an attack that will launch his fist in whatever direction you want (Like Mega Mans Metal Blades). He can run while charging, fire in midair, it's an extremely versatile move. The catch is that his fist boomerangs straight back to him but doesn't track you, meaning you've got to go pick it up if you don't intercept it. You can throw both of your fists, but your attacks weaken in strength if your missing one or both fists. And if you accidentally throw it off the edge... yeah.
N Air: Basic kick in front of him
Up Air: His hair grows longer and spins like a buzzsaw, damaging enemies above him. Can juggle opponents with this.
Down Air: Dive attack, Meteor Smash, but Rayman doesn't stop if hits someone, so if you do it off the stage it will kill you. So you better hit your opponent!
Forward Air: Swings both fists in front of him
Back Air: Grabs his body and throws it behind him, and the rest of his body will follow behind it. His body will fall until it hits (or is hit by) a player or surface, which is when Raymans head and limbs will reattach. Hits for quite alot of damage, but you can't dodge or attack until his body reunites. And like his down air, if you go off the stage, you are going to die.
Neutral Special: Plunger Gun: Shoots a Plunger at your opponent. If it hits it's target, it will attach to their face and the target will have to take a second to pull it off (Even if hit in the air). Isn't a quick projectile, not to hard to dodge, sort of like Dedede's throw. Rayman has to reload between each shot, which he can do while moving.
Side Special: Shock Rocket: From Rayman 3, Rayman stops moving and shoots his hand out in the form of a rocket. Will explode on impact, but Rayman can't move while using (Like Snakes side special)
Up Special: Throttle Copter: Also from Rayman 3, Rayman shoots up extremely far, the highest recovery in the game. Also notable here is that after his second jump, if Rayman tries to jump again his hair will start to spin, allowing him to fall at a very slow pace and direct his falling with ease.
Down Special: Vortex Metal Fist: Combines his Vortex and Heavy Metal Fist from Rayman 3, Rayman throws a vortex in front of him with one hand and turns his other into his metal fist. If the vortex catches the opponent, it will draw them back to Rayman and he will bash them with his metal fist.
Grab: Lockjaw: Rayman's grab is also a tether, his final powerup from Rayman 3.
Grab attack: Rayman will shock the opponent with the Lockjaw
Forward throw: Rayman drop kick his opponent forward.
Back throw: Rayman slingshots his opponents backward with the Lockjaw.
Down throw: Rayman jumps up, whips his opponent in a spiral around him and slams them into the ground.
Up Throw: Rayman tosses the opponent above him, then spins his hair like a buzzsaw, launching them upward

Taunt 1: Rayman plays basketball with his body
Taunt 2: Sticks his tongue out at the opponent (The way he turned black lums into red lums)
Taunt 3: Does the peace sign like he does in Legends

Final Smash: Rabbid Storm: Rayman calls the Rabbids to help him, who will then swarm his opponents, screaming at the top of their lungs and being, well, Rabbids. They can be knocked back like Waddle Dees, but they are heavier and can't be killed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom