• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I've only played a couple of Rayman games, and I didn't like them. I love AC.
Im talking about who would be a better choice (also i found Rayman better than any of the AC games) and i've played all the AC games and most of the Rayman games. They honestly have no business in smash. They'd be better for Playstation All-Stars.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Im talking about who would be a better choice (also i found Rayman better than any of the AC games) and i've played all the AC games and most of the Rayman games. They honestly have no business in smash. They'd be better for Playstation All-Stars.
I find that untrue. Ezio is who I'm rooting for in terms of assassins and he would fit into smash very well. He would have good projectiles and good close-up too, and with the 3 games he's been in Nintendo has tons and tons to work with. As well as a no doubt mega stage. Rayman, is a crazy naked rabbit, and hardly call him fitting into smash. I also wouldn't call him an all-star for anything, with a seemingly dwindling fan-base around the UK and parts of America, the raving rabbids are losing their touch, and I can't find anything like as much to work with as they have with Ezio.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I find that untrue. Ezio is who I'm rooting for in terms of assassins and he would fit into smash very well. He would have good projectiles and good close-up too, and with the 3 games he's been in Nintendo has tons and tons to work with. As well as a no doubt mega stage. Rayman, is a crazy naked rabbit, and hardly call him fitting into smash. I also wouldn't call him an all-star for anything, with a seemingly dwindling fan-base around the UK and parts of America, the raving rabbids are losing their touch, and I can't find anything like as much to work with as they have with Ezio.
First of all, Rayman isn't a f****** rabbit. You have no right to argue on this topic anymore just because of that.

Second, AC games are barely even on Nintendo consoles.

Ryaman has more game son Nintendo systems than AC. (from the N64 and Gameboy Color all the way to the Wii U exclusive game Legends)

You seem to only know Rayman because of the first raving rabbids. Your argument now has no meaning just because of that.

The only point you have is the fan base. However, he is gaining fans because of Origins. Also, Rayman is currently doing more for Nintendo than any of the Assassins. He's more of an all-star than they are.

And again, your argument died the moment you called Rayman a rabbit.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Thanks for defending this thread from that ignorant troll, guys. Been offline for some time.

Anyway, Rayman's limblessness can provide opportunities for many types of attacks; there's short to long range, and even projectile ideas.

Rayman would be a great 3rd party edition

all his moves should be straight out of rayman 2: the great escape (his best game) non of that rabbit bull****
If all his moves come from Rayman 2, he'd be pretty limited. He'd only be able to shoot balls of energy, carry plums, hover and ride rockets. Its better for him to have moves from Rayman 1-3, Origins and Legends. The Rabbids can stay far away from Rayman and his moveset; a trophy and a sticker and maybe a cameo in his level would be fine, but that's being generous.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If all his moves come from Rayman 2, he'd be pretty limited. He'd only be able to shoot balls of energy, carry plums, hover and ride rockets. Its better for him to have moves from Rayman 1-3, Origins and Legends. The Rabbids can stay far away from Rayman and his moveset; a trophy and a sticker and maybe a cameo in his level would be fine, but that's being generous.
I agree with this.

Rayman has so many move options and Origins helped give him a lot potential "A" button moves.

Also, the only move i see coming from Raving Rabbids is the plunger gun. (Thankfully, it involves one of the few good things in the series and not the garbage rabbids)

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Well, I think that Sukapon and Rayman have a similiar problem. The characters in Smash Bros all have some sort of skeletal structure. They don't have a neck, or arms, or legs.

:phone:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Which isn't much of a problem since Rayman has had 3D models in the past. (A few games and a TV show) He would probably be one of the more difficult characters to make but he wouldn't be impossible. (difficult since he'll probably have cartoony features from Origins/Legends)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Well, I think that Sukapon and Rayman have a similiar problem. The characters in Smash Bros all have some sort of skeletal structure. They don't have a neck, or arms, or legs.

Hmm..they have a basic human structure so it may not be too difficult for them. I mean, their body parts usually remain close to eachother so their hurtboxes would be structured similarly to other anthropomorphic beings; the only times when it wouldn't is when they do an attack that requires a body part to be far from the others, like a long ranged punch in Ray's case. I somewhat agree with what you're saying though.

Does anyone have any DownB ideas for Rayman? I'm starting to reconsider whether its a good idea for him to use a plum, but IDK what else would be good for him.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Hmm..they have a basic human structure so it may not be too difficult for them. I mean, their body parts usually remain close to eachother so their hurtboxes would be structured similarly to other anthropomorphic beings; the only times when it wouldn't is when they do an attack that requires a body part to be far from the others, like a long ranged punch in Ray's case. I somewhat agree with what you're saying though.

Does anyone have any DownB ideas for Rayman? I'm starting to reconsider whether its a good idea for him to use a plum, but IDK what else would be good for him.
Well, heres some moveset ideas i found online. His down special involves throwing Teensies.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=433105270064597&set=pb.216561498385643.-2207520000.1349569100&type=1&theater

Although, i don't agree with a few moves in that link (The forward special, neutral special, and final smash)

EDIT: Making a moveset video for Rayman :awesome:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I haven't played a Rayman game before but from what I read and see about him, I want him in Smash 4. I bought Rayman Origins online last night for Wii and I am going to give it a try (it sold me with the 4 player multi-mode like NSMB and Return to Dreamland so I can have my girlfriend and friends play with me).

The biggest negative from what I gather is his lack of popularity in Japan. He looks like the perfect Smash character but I am afraid that will keep him from getting a spot (or attention).

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
When I first thought about what third-party characters might join SSB4, I imagined Rayman, but then quickly dismissed the ide--that Ubi isn't such a "legendary" publisher like Konami, Sega, Capcom, Square-Enix, or Namco-Bandai. Similarly, Rayman doesn't hold the same weight as Snake, Sonic, Mega-Man, FF/DQ series, or Pac-man.

...The more I think about it, the less crazy it seems.
Ubi's been a huge supporter of Nintendo's recent platforms, especially with the launch of Wii U (ACIII, Zombi U, Rayman Legends, et. al.).

Additionally, Nintendo plans to publish Rayman Legends in Japan, which should drum up more sales than the game may have seen had Ubi published it.

There seems to be a strong relationship between the two companies.

Honestly, I'm half-expecting this to happen...

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I hold out hope for Rayman; he really has great potential.

A while back I didn't like the DownB I had for Rayman, and decided to come up with something else. Now that I have it, I'll talk about the scrapped one:

Old DownB: Plum Seed. Rayman drops a seed in front of him and it grows into an unusually ripe plum. What does it do? By itself, nothing, but if you know how to use it...you'll have a multipurpose item.

The plum is a weighty item--it's as heavy as a barrel, so carrying it isn't the best idea in the heat of battle. It's large enough for anyone to stand on (thus acting as an improvised platform), can be thrown at foes like any regular item, and most importantly, launched at opponents. Simply strike the plum at your target and send them flying. The harder you hit it the stronger the impact!

This is great for players who don't have the time to fully charge their attacks to get a guaranteed kill, and good for those who want a bigger hit radius. Once summoned, the plum can be used by anyone, and since Rayman's CERTAINLY not the heaviest fighter in Smash, getting hit by a launched plum is not an idea to be taken lightly.

That was the Plum Seed idea. My drawing of it can be found on the 1st page, and since I'm scrapping the move from my moveset, I figured I might as well share the idea I have no use for. It was too gimmicky, not unique enough IMO and I have better ideas now. Thoughts?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Enjoying Rayman Origins so far but didn't realize how wierd the game is (it turned off one of my friends already although my fiance loves it mostly because of the cut sound it makes when you get the fairy that turn the yellow things pink and gives 2x points).

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
I used to think Rayman is Smash 4 sounded a bit ridiculous, however with his new outbreak and popular and fun titles being released it made me see Rayman in a whole new light.

His character and distinguishing features are already a prominent reason enough for him to be considered for Smash 4, so with his new games, renewed popularity and a chance for a hell of a unique moveset, I'd definitely like to see him make it into Smash 4. He has my support anyway.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm liking the Rayman support here.

I found out recently that Rayman was so named (in-universe) from being a manifestation of moon beams, meaning that he's a creature made out of focused light. Perhaps this is why he throws balls of energy in Rayman 2? That's pretty cool, and it gives me a few ideas for move set potential:

The circle on his chest is known to glow and create sparks at times, so what if he weaponized it in Smash? Since he's made of light, he could possibly expel an intense burst from the circle and stun foes, like a flashbang.

[COLLAPSE="Rayman's symbol activating"]

[/COLLAPSE]
Enjoying Rayman Origins so far but didn't realize how wierd the game is (it turned off one of my friends already although my fiance loves it mostly because of the cut sound it makes when you get the fairy that turn the yellow things pink and gives 2x points).
How far are you?

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'm liking the Rayman support here.

I found out recently that Rayman was so named (in-universe) from being a manifestation of moon beams, meaning that he's a creature made out of focused light. Perhaps this is why he throws balls of energy in Rayman 2? That's pretty cool, and it gives me a few ideas for move set potential:

The circle on his chest is known to glow and create sparks at times, so what if he weaponized it in Smash? Since he's made of light, he could possibly expel an intense burst from the circle and stun foes, like a flashbang.

[COLLAPSE="Rayman's symbol activating"]

[/COLLAPSE]

How far are you?

Just got through water levels and now in a mountain world, I think it is world 5.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I've only played Rayman Advance,Rayman 3 for GBA and Rayman DS.

Rayman 3 is a game with really interesting things for a moveset.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Got a codec idea for Rayman:

Snake: This thing's got no arms or legs or neck! How's it even alive!?
Colonel: I can't believe what I'm seeing either. This must be Rayman.
Snake: RayMAN? This is a man?
Colonel: Honestly I'm not sure what he is precisely, but he's rumored to have been created to defend his ethereal world known as The Glade of Dreams from evil forces, and protect its reality-warping god.
Snake: So he's some type of guardian. That doesn't explain the missing limbs...
Colonel: True, and what makes him even more strange is that he's unlike any of his world's inhabitants; while they usually have atleast 2 limbs he's got none at all. He's even strange among those he protects, with a magical force that keeps his body the way it is.
Snake: I'm not sure why he'd spend time saving people he can't relate to.
Colonel: I personally thought he was some experiment gone wrong, but Rayman defied the odds and proved to the world that he could protect them. He's well loved by many of the world's inhabitants, especially its god.
Snake: Alright, but is his limblessness just for show?
Colonel: Not at all, Snake. His disconnection means that all of his bodyparts are potential projectiles, and some are more devastating than others. He's quite fond of his fists, and being the energetic brawler that he is, you'll need to steer clear of those.
Snake: Heh, I see 'throwing a punch' is more than a figure of speech for him.
Colonel: It certainly is. Rayman's able to launch bodyparts at great distances, and that's not all that he's capable of. His hair can spin like a helicopter, and he can even throw spheres of light at distances his body can't reach. Keep your guard up Snake, he's even skilled at hand-to-hand combat, and he's unbelievably strong. He'll hit you with any bodypart he can use.
Snake: Noted, but I wonder: how heavy is someone who doesn't have limbs?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Unfortunately I am thinking Rayman's chances took even more of a hit with Rayman Legends announcing that it will no longer be Wii U exclusive.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately I am thinking Rayman's chances took even more of a hit with Rayman Legends announcing that it will no longer be Wii U exclusive.
I thought the same thing.
It's funny, no more than a week ago i wrote in this thread: Honestly, I'm half-expecting this to happen...

I'm not feeling that secure any longer. :ohwell:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I have a feeling we will be left wanting in the third party department once again. I expect Sonic and Snake to return and Megaman and Pac-Man to be in it but doubtful of anyone else. Perhaps Llyodd Irving or Dig Dug from Namco to give Namco 2 reps.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Based on this quote, "I think Snake and Sonic joining were fantastic. It made many fans happy, and it broadened the Smash Bros arena. However, introducing more non-Nintendo characters willy-nilly will lose the focus of the game, so I also recognise the need to narrow it down," I do expect more--just not a lot.

Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man, Mega-Man, possibly Mrs. Pac-Man, and someone from Square-Enix (Black Mage or a Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. I used to think Rayman had a shot--not a good one, but a shot. Now, with this development, the picture's much bleaker.

(However, i would expect some sort of concession from Ubi for Wii U owners. Not the demo, but my mind keeps going back to exclusive levels--and perhaps more importantly from the side of Nintendo--NFC communication, as we first saw in the original Rayman Legends video. Nintendo obviously isn't ready with it yet, but come September they may need a big-name title to really illustrate the feature.)

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well Sakurai isn't the only person pushing developments of Smash. As I stated many times on this board, Miyamoto was the first person to comment on Sonic saying he would be a great addition to Smash. Perhaps a few months after that, the Sonic trailer was uploaded to DOJO.

The only hope I believe for third parties is the fact that Nintendo is trying to win them back and if these third parties push hard to get characters in the game, I don't see Nintendo or Sakurai saying no).

I don't think Ubisoft is pushing Raymon for Smash but I could be wrong.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
The only hope I believe for third parties is the fact that Nintendo is trying to win them back and if these third parties push hard to get characters in the game, I don't see Nintendo or Sakurai saying no).
Hmm, you make a good point.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When Rayman Legends lost exclusive status, I think Rayman lost all his chances for SM4SH...

Not that I believed he had much of a chance anyway

volbound1700

Smash Master
Haha that is funny. I imagine this thread is likely to die very soon unless the impossible happens.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Damn it Ubisoft. I was gonna buy a Wii U this month for this game! Just when my hopes for Rayman were growing and then this happens. Even the people who were working on the game are upset; they could've at least made this a timed exclusive.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ok for the Rayman fans I do have a question.

I just beat Rayman Origins (well except for the last level, I plan to go back and get the teeth, I have 6 of them already but haven't tried to get the other 4). The levels were neat and fun but I have to ask, what the hell is going on in this game? I got to some air level and the final boss was the guy helping me all along and then Rayman dances with him and chases him. I didn't have a clue what was going on at any point in the story line. I thought the story was roughly Rayman and his friends were too loud and they woke up some guys underground and the boss was going to be that old Witch from underground. Then it just went off into this sky level as the final level. Very confused.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think the point was not to take it seriously and just go with the flow.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Ok for the Rayman fans I do have a question.

I just beat Rayman Origins (well except for the last level, I plan to go back and get the teeth, I have 6 of them already but haven't tried to get the other 4). The levels were neat and fun but I have to ask, what the hell is going on in this game? I got to some air level and the final boss was the guy helping me all along and then Rayman dances with him and chases him. I didn't have a clue what was going on at any point in the story line. I thought the story was roughly Rayman and his friends were too loud and they woke up some guys underground and the boss was going to be that old Witch from underground. Then it just went off into this sky level as the final level. Very confused.
That guy who was helping you orchestrated the whole thing. He put a microphone in the tree so that Rayman and co would disturb the Livid Dead and start a war. While you were busy setting things right, the Magician would build an army of robots and machinery powered by the Lums you gave him so that he could rule the world.

The Magician was Rayman's ally in the very 1st game, but by Rayman Origins he had grown tired of Rayman's stupidity as well as the Bubble Dreamer, because despite being the god of his world, the Dreamer couldn't protect his own creations (which is why Rayman was created), and he was sure he could do a better job. He was gonna use the army of mechas to kill the Bubble Dreamer while Rayman was busy.

Also, that dance was a distraction so he could escape. He figured Rayman and his friends were "intelligent" enough to fall for it and he was right.

Some hackers datamined the demo and found hidden dialogue that detailed this.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ok I got the game a month ago after reading about Rayman on here and that it was 4 player and decided to give it a try. Turned off some of my friends because of its wierdness but my fiance likes it because of the music and cute characters (she loves Yoshi Story which was her favorite all-time game, I got her Kirby Epic's Yarn and she loved it as well).

I had another friend who may have liked it (I can't tell if he is serious or not but he has played it again with me).

I loved the level designs and the challenge. Getting 300 of those Lumas is not too hard but getting the 350 for the medal is a challenge. The mosquito levels are a lot of fun. The treasure chest chase in the water level (first one, haven't tried second one yet) was challenging but fun.

grizby2

Smash Lord
rayman wouldn't just be a good character, he'd just be straight up badass.
Sukapon....rayman..... either of those two limbless characters would play nicely!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Rayman would be awesome for both this game and for Playstation All Stars but I'd prefer him in Smash. I think he fits in better.

Top Bottom