• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Medusa
chances: 10%
want: 0%
I don't care about KI... after dark pit and their lame codecs...

Agnes
chances: 5%
want: 55%
This will be a really bad day for Square Enix... but she has really cool characteristics, and her franchise is fresh and the music is simply awesome...

Pred
Black Shadow: 2%
Tetramino: 3%

Noms
Mallo x5

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Medusa's Chance: 8%
It looks like any Kid Icarus character is going to face low fan support due to Smash Bros already having too much content from that series.

Medusa's Want: 0%
I just don't see anything worthwhile about the character. Smash Bros isn't a game of quotas, we don't need more females or more villains or anything other fun an unique characters. I'm sure Sakurai could come up with something unique for her, but she just screams "Dark Palutena" to me, and we saw how successful the last "dark" clone was. KI has enough content and doesn't need her, the only thing from the series I would tolerate is if the Eggplant Wizard was an AT.

----------

Agnes's Chance: 10%
I think the most common reaction to the character is "Agnes who?" which doesn't bode well for her support. Couple that with other more well-known Square-Enix candidates and she doesn't look that likely.

Agnes's Want: Abstain
Agnes who? I've never had an interest in Bravely Default and I don't plan on changing my mind anytime soon. I have nothing against the character and wouldn't complain if she go it, but I rather someone I actually heard of.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
Medusa
Chance: 5%
Hades is the villain of KI, let's be honest.

Want: 20%
I like her, but she's not Hades.

Agnes: Double Abstain.

Nomination: Hades x5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Medusa's chances: 5%

Don't find a Kid Icarus character to be likely, even with Sakurai bias.

Want: 0%

Easily my least favorite of Uprising's main characters. Doesn't interest me as a fighter at all either.

Square Enix character #15's chances: 1%

Too recent of a third party for my tastes, and to be honest I don't have a large amount of interest in Bravely Default. I might get it someday but it's far from a priority of mine.

Black Shadow prediction: 8.48%
Tetrimino prediction: 1.39%

Nominations: Mallo x5

Running out of things to nominate...

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Medusa:
Chance: 8%

Very unlikely that we'll get yet another KI rep.

Want: 1%
No thanks. I never got into KI:U, but Medusa seemed boring.

The Square Enix Girl, Whoever you said she was
Chance: 7%
I highly doubt Sakurai would go through the trouble of getting another 3rd party in the game, especially one who isn't very highly requested.

No thanks. Give me a good 1st party before we get into more 3rd parties.

Nominations: Ultimate Ghost x5

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
Agnes chance: 5%
Though I am a thorough supporter due to numerous reasons, and the fact that Square Enix would probably highly support a bravely rep if they had a choice, the fact that they haven't said anything about wanting any of their characters to be in smahs, and the general lack of support makes me doubt.

Want: 80%
Unique moveset, modern, and also being a perfect representative of old FF games (Bravely is a reboot of the classic FF games). She's definitely a better candidate than just plain old dark mage. But right now it's not about how good of a condidate, but how popular (it's focused on the ballot now), so it probably won't happen.

Though I get kind of annoyed when people say she's not an FF character. Bravely Default could be argued as being more of an FF game than most modern FF games.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Biased people really ruin this game for me, so, this will probably be my last rating.

-Medusa:
Chances: 0%

DLC characters have the generic codec and Palutena and Pit don't know the DLC character in it. The codec was silly for Lucas, but for Medusa, it would be completely ridiculous.
Medusa is not popular in the ballot and with all the hate Dark Pit and KI in general received thanks to Sakurai bias, he will probably don't add another KI character, specially if it's not highly requested.

-Agnes:
Chances: 0%
Want: 20%

Lacks support in the ballot and she is not iconic at all.
20% want only for the music, I don't really care about the character.

-Nominations:
!Rerate Chibi-Robo X5

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Medusa's chances: 5%

Sakurai bias is possible, but the poor goddess isn't that popular of a character in the Kid Icarus fandom. Whether it's because of her lack of humor or general "generic" vibe with her villainy, a character like Hades always reigns supreme.

Her ballot support is even smaller in comparison to Viridi and Hades, while she has a rather quest following that doesn't go far as to vote for her.
She used to be iconic back in the day when Captain N was a thing, but those days are over and her chances of being in Smash are low as long as Sakurai's other babies exist.

Want: 90%

Loved the character in all of her appearances, even with the mediocre role she had in Uprising (which my girlfriend honesty can't let go of to this day). Hades is cool and all, but the idea of a goddess with snake hair and all sorts of magical traps seem more appealing to me. Plus, who wouldn't want to see that glorious sideboob in HD? :awesome:

Agnes: Abstain

Never played a Bravely Default game in my life and it will take a while for me to get around to experience. Plus the character doesn't seem as appealing as your average female Final Fantasy protagonist (minus Lightning).

Black Shadow prediction: 8.48%
Tetrimino prediction: 1.39%

Nominations: Style Savvy x5

Last edited:
Medusa
Chance 5%
not too highly requested and KI is kind of big on content. After being shafted in Uprising I dont see her happeinng

want 20%
Of all of the kid icarus characters my list is Viridi>>>>>>>>>hades>>>>Phosphora>>medusa>eggplant wizard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Magnus
So yeah she isnt too high up there

Agnes Oblige, Vestal of Wind
chance 1%
The first game did really well and now she is back for the bravely second game. It seems like the series has a very bright future but we arent in the future yet. maybe for smash 6?

want 99%
I fell in love with Bravely default very quickly. Probably my favorite RPG thta isn't Xenoblade and i have yet to even finish it.

Also
She can BE a black mage and more

loses 1% for being my least favorite of the 4 characters.
Edea Lee is the best

predictions
Black Shadow: 17%
tetramino (what the hell?) 1%

noms
next smash has new director 5

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I feel like DK was the only series that got "shafted" in favor of Kid Icarus.
If King Kruel or Dixie would've made base roster and would've brought stages with them everything would be fine.

Yeah, there would've been some differences in items, but I don't feel like those are Day Dealbreakers.

But Smash Run still is Bias Trial Uprising
Wait, what? Saying that KI was the reason that the DK series got "shafted" is a completely unfair assumption.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Medusa
Chance: 1.2%
I'm pretty sure Sakurai already stuffed Smash 4 with as much Kid Icarus content as he deems fit this time around. He probably knows that any more would be overkill. I'll give the Goddess of Darkness a small score of 1.2%.
I guess you never really know for sure with Sakurai though...

Want: 5%
I'm not totally against the idea of Kid Icarus getting an additional character, but I'm not all for it either. If we did get one, I'd rather see either Viridi or Magnus before Medusa.

Agnes
Chance: 0.5%
She's probably too obscure a character to most Smash players to really go through the trouble of getting her on the roster. I'll give the vestal of wind a small rating of 0.5%.
Square Enix has so many requested characters that the company should just make their own fighting game...

She doesn't come off as all that interesting to me.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Medusa's chances: 4.21%
It could happen, but as people stated - Kid Icarus got a fair share of content this time around. What could hold her back is the 'Sakurai-bias' and outcries against KI, and while she does go back a long way with the series, she's probably been outdone by the more comedic villains like Hades.

I'm fine with the KI content we got - it's now time for some other series to get a fair go.

Agnès Oblige Chances: 2.83%
A smaller Square Enix character who's might not be able to hold up a candle against some of her competitors.

Want: 14%
I've played Bravely Default and it's a pretty solid game. She could have an interesting Brave and Default mechanic combined with some magic, so there's scope for potential, but as for content I want to see in Smash 4 at this stage, just "That Person's Name is..." for now. Not having that song is... unacceptable, to say the least. :p just kidding. Maybe next time.

D

Deleted member

Medusa:
Chance:7%

Positives:
+She has been since The original Kid Icarus.(and she could be seen as the original villain of the series)
+Some moveset potentail.
Negatives:
-Lack of ballot support(This hurt a LOT in my opinion, if i saw more requests from her, i would see her more likely)
-In Uprising(the game where Sakurai takes the most content from) her role is overshadowed by Hades, who's revealed to be the true main antagonist.

Want:0%
I don't hate her, but i had enough of Kid Icarus characters.(and no, i don't hate Dark Pit, im just indifferent to him).

Agnes:
Chance:1.12%

Positives:
+The Bravely series are fairly succesful 3DS games .....and that's all i can think off.
as for the Negatives:
-She barely requested from what i have seen.
-Square is a hard company to work with(they said no to Cloud in PS all stars)
-Competition from many Square Enix characters.
-Agnes herself is not exactly a "Legendary"Character in the same vein as Pacman/Megaman/Ryu/Sonic.

I prefer the Black Mage from Final Fantasy when it comes to Square characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Medusa
Chance: 5%.
Want: 65%.

She has small support from a small series and everyone is kinda burnt out on Kid Icarus content at this point.
That said, imo she would complete the Kid Icarus representation for me, and I will not ignore the fact that she's ****ing Medusa, and that's pretty awesome. So I would not mind seeing her.

Agnes
Chance: 0.5%.
Want: 35%.

In the scenario that Square Enix gets "a character" into Smash Bros., I don't it will be anyone from something not called Final Fantasy - not matter if it's popular - so I can't see Agnes happened before that.
Even though I haven't played Bravely Default I have a general idea of this character's abilities and frankly it doesn't interest me. If she got in before something like Black Mage I would be scratching my head.
However I have to add a few points for the music.

---
Predictions: Black Shadow: 5%, Tetrimino: 1%.
---
Nominations: Jill Valentine x5

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Medusa: -chance in a theoretical next smash: 70% a very notable antagonist from a series with noticable creator bias.(and she arguably had ore fans prior to smash than palutena i noticed)chance as dlc: 5% people are generally sick of kid icarus in smash now.want: 0.5% no thanks, give us k.rool or another good villian and THEN we'll talk.Agnes: 0.5% unlikely. if sqaure gets a character neither company is going to waste the opportunity for a relatively obscure character from a niche rpg. even the most unexpected of final fantasy characters would have more of a chance than agnes.want: 0% i don't really care about this character and don't think she'd be a good fit for smash. i would also personally prefer the black mage.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Medusa
Chance
1% - Me thinks Sakurai is gonna want to avoid any more Kid Icarus Characters being added to Smash for now. The community is in an uproar about three of them being in the game anyways (I have a feeling it wouldn't have been so bad if the 3rd character wasn't Dark Pit due to being a clone).

Want
0% - I'm kind of in that group that doesn't want any more KI content added to the game.

Agnes
Chance
.01% - Take everything we've said about Square Enix characters before, and there's the chance argument. Are we done with Square Enix characters yet? If not, can we rate a concept called: Any Square Enix character being added to the game?

Want
0% - Again, the "third party characters need to be iconic" argument applies. Really, I'm good on third party characters for now.

Predictions
Black Shadow - 6%
Tetrimino - 2%

Nominations
Eggman X5

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Medusa
Chance: 2%
Want: 25%

Agnes

Double abstain: I don't know much about Bravely Default.

Predictions:
Black Shadow - 5%
Tetrimino - 3%

Nominations:
Gardevoir x5

I should probably start posting these much earlier so that I can actually say something about the characters. >w<;;

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Medusa
Chance: 2%
Want: 90%

Agnes
Chance: 0%
Want: 100%

Nominations: Azura x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
MEDUSA
CHANCE: 7.49%
WANT: 31.99%

AGNES
CHANCE: 2.55%
WANT: 29.29%
Next up we're rating Black Shadow and Tetrimino also please predict what score a Stlyle Savvy Character and Azura will get tomorrow. I'm going to try to get an updated nominations list up later today.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Black Shadow has a place in the Department of Redundancy Department.

Chance: 3%

F-Zero seems to be ignored on the basis of having its content covered.

Want: 10%

Make the guy unique and I'll consider it.

Tetromino

Double zeroes.

What. Why is this thing even being rated? Are we expected to believe that a Tetris block has anything remotely usable as a moveset? Even if it did, why would a Tetris block, of all things, be chosen, or even considered, as a contender? And if it's a joke nomination, frigging Reckless Safety Man is a better joke than this, and that one is stale as hell.

If anything, Tetrominoes are perfect Assist Trophy material. Not playable material.

Predictions:

Style Savvy: 4%
Azura: 4%

Nominate: Delphox x5

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Black Shadow:
Chance 5%
Want 5%

Tetromino:
Chance 30%
Want 50%

Predictions
Style Savvyist - 5%
Azura - 7%

Nominations - Smash 5 has a 10 year wait cycle x 5

D

Deleted member

Black Shadow

He's certainly not the most highly requested villain.

Want: 80%

Mainly so I can reenact this scene from the F-Zero anime:

Tetris Block

Chance: 1%

I could simply dismiss this as a joke, but you never know what surprises might be in store.

Want: 50%

I'm honestly curious of its moveset potential.

Predictions:

Style Savvy Character - 1.43%

Azura - 5%

Nomination: Young Link x5

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
@Nimbostratus wins extra nominations for Medusa, and @ POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA wins for Agnes.
Oh my god, I've won something.

Black Shadow:
Black Shadow isn't a AT, but he isn't the main villain of the F-Zero franchise or a reoccurring rival character (that goes to Goroh). I don't see him getting in.
Samurai Goroh is a lot more interesting as a F-Zero fighter.

Tetrimino:
Chance: .5%
The Tetris Company probably owns the rights to the block and the fact that its a block.
How the **** does a block fight?

Predictions:
Style Savvy: 10%
Azure: 9%

Nominations:
Samurai Goroh 10x

D

Deleted member

WATASHI WA SHINEN! SHINENZUUUU!:
Chance and Want:Abstain.

TETRIMINO
Chance:1%
Keep in mind that tetris is one of the most well known games of all time, and it can be said that tetris is as legendary as other third parties in sm4sh.
But if Tetris is getting any more content outside of the music, it will most likely be a DLC stage.
No thanks,i would prefer a tetris stage.

Predictions - Style Savvyst -2%. She is doomed.
Azura-3%. More fire emblem characters........isn't Roy enough?

Nominations: Concept: Tetris Stage x5

Last edited by a moderator:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
black shadow:
chance: 30% honestly depends on the chances of another f-zero character being added in general which is up in the air right now.
want: 80% yes please

tetrimono:
chance: 0% are you freaking kidding me!?
want: 0% no way in hell.

predictions:
style savvy: 1%
azura: 5%
nominations:
dark matter x5

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
"In the upcoming Puyo Puyo Tetris, the Blocks: T, O, S, and I each has its own personification. All aboard the Spaceship Tet, named Teto gou (テト号) in Japanese.[1][2]

T (ティ, pronounced as Ti) is the youthful pretty boy commander of the group, resembling Puyo Puyo's Schezo and Maguro.

O (オー, pronounced as Oo) is the ship's mascot that supervises the ship, resembling Puyo Puyo's Carbuncle.

S (エス, pronounced as Esu) is a space Sci-Fi Southern Belle type girl, with sharp abusive tongue and a Father Complex. She resembles Puyo Puyo's Raffine and Strawberryna, along with Rhythm Thief R's Maria.

I (アイ, pronounced as Ai) is the easily scared rat headed engineer, resembling Puyo Puyo's Risukuma Sempai."

I think I... learned enough.

Tetris Blocks:
Chance: 0.0000001% Best selling game in history, but isn't actually a character. I of confuse?
Want: 0% I am legitimately confused right now as to why this is a suggestion in the first place. Perhaps someone can enlighten me? As it stands now this would be a insult to all the other characters in the game, to be likened to this mere block so I'm afraid I have to give a big, fat, zero.

Black Shadow, hey all shadows are black, that's like being named wooden tree, who named this guy?:
Chances: 5% F-Zero is sadly neglected in a corner, and will probably never not be neglected.
Want: 30% i know nothing about F-Zero or this guy, but sheer sympathy for F-Zero fans alone makes me want to want him.

Predictions: Aqua/Azura: 10% I expect at least one crazy overrating.
Style Savvy: 5%
Nominations: Dr. Eggman x 5

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
"Watashi wa shinen! Shinenzu!!" :4falcon:"Falcon... PUNCH!!!" "MUGRAAAAAAAAHHH!" *Epic explosion*

Black Shadow chance: 2.45%
The main thing that's hampering his chances is that the F-Zero franchise has been dormant for so long - almost over 15 years since we've seen a full F-Zero game outside of shout-outs like Mario Kart 8 DLC's Mute City and Big Blue. (Seriously, where's my Captain as MK8 DLC? He's more deserving a spot in MK8 than Pink Gold Peach ever was... :\)

However, what would greatly boost his chances is a grand revival of the F-Zero series - which might take a long time, but I can only hope for a bright future.

As for moveset potential, it could go one of three ways - one is a unique moveset that incorporates whatever dark magic Black Shadow has alongside extreme speed and power, one is the 'borrowing' of Ganondorf's moveset to make Black Shadow the clone of Captain, or something inspired by the F-Zero machine he pilots - the Black Bull. We've also got Samurai Goroh being a possible candidate for a rival in terms of competition for an F-Zero newcomer, but it depends on whether or not they'll promote him to playable status like Little Mac.

Want: 35%
It'd be great if we got a new F-Zero character, but I think the series needs to be brought back in the most glorious fashion first. If there really is a future for F-Zero that shows off Black Shadow's potential, then I'd be happy to support him. But for now, we need a clear future for the F-Zero series.

I'll abstain from Tetrimono. As iconic as it is, I don't see Tetris getting any form of playable character representation.

Nominations: Isaac (GS) X5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Black Shadow

Chance - 0.45% - I've got a feeling that Ganondorf will receive his moveset revamp before he will even be considered. Goroh is more likely, were he not an assist trophy.

Want - 20% - Eh. Goroh first, please.

Tetrimino

Chance - 0% - It's a third party that's not even a character. What can they even do? Rotate and die when you make a row?

Want - 0% - What a waste of character prediction.

Predictions

Style Savy Character - 1.45% - More of an Assist Trophy character than anything else.

Azura - 2.35% - A playable character in Fates... well, that's bodes well for her chances...

Nominations

Secondary Ballot X5

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Black Shadow

Chance and Want: Abstained

Have absolutely no clue about the F-Zero franchise.

Tetrimono

It's a block for crying out loud. Normally, I wouldn't give a zero to any character because I like to keep myself open minded when it comes to suggestions. I believe that almost any character has the potential to be great in Smash Bros, regardless of whether they may end up as a clone, or if they're from a series with "too much representation". I can't stay open about this suggestion, though. Tetris may be a very popular game, but the Tetris block would best be suited for an Assist Trophy. I mean, might as well ask for Pong to be playable. :U

Predictions

Azura: 10%
Well for one thing, she's a fairly recent character with some good amounts of popularity. However, she's yet another FE rep, and people don't take too kindly to more FE characters, even if they are capable of bringing something new to the table.

Style Savvy: Abstained

Nominations: Fiora x5

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Black Shadow chances: 0.42%
People wanted him to replace the current Ganondorf in order to take his moveset, and create a new moveset more fitting for a new Ganondorf. But since the later didn't get the hoped massive revamps, the demand for Black Shadow pretty much went downhill. At least he's famous for the "WATASHI NA SHINEN SHINENZU" so I'll give him that.

Black Shadow want: 1%
I don't have as much problem about Ganondorf's Smash portrayal compared to some people. I'm not saying it is perfect, in fact I'd change a few unfitting moves (most notably neutral air) and add some badass magic like him generating an energy ball between his hands then crushing it to generate a darkness explosion. But overall I don't have much problem with the obvious Falcon inspiration in Ganondorf's moveset; at least he's not that weird clone from Melee.

-----

Tetrimino's day finally came! I've waited for it for too long!

Tetrimino chances: 20% because of my bias

Tetrimino chances: 0.22%
Before you start to read the long wall of text that's coming I just want to say that I don't expect this character at all for SSB4 DLC. I have some hope for it as an SSB5 on-disk newcomer, if anything. Because I have so much to say about this character idea, I'll structure my chances explanation in three categories: why a Tetrimino can be considered as a deserving Smash contender, my counter-arguments to ideas against this character, and the actual hurdles it has to face before ending up to become an actual fighter in Super Smash Bros.

1. What makes Tetrimino Smash material?

As we all know, Super Smash Bros., in addition to being an awesome fighter-platformer hybrid, is pretty much Nintendo's museum and a giant love letter to its history. In order to add some awesomeness, it even allowed third-party contents to be represented since Brawl! However, due to the fact Super Smash Bros. is primarily a massive Nintendo crossover, it won't let third-party characters get in willy-nilly, and as such only some of the most recognizable ones with standing-out relevance to Nintendo's history can hope to have a shot. For example, Sonic in Smash seems perfectly natural considering how much of a big deal the Mario-Sonic rivalry was before the Gamecube era, then he started to have his series appearing consistently on Nintendo consoles, not to mention Sonic himself is a popular culture icon; as such, Sonic being third-party is pretty much a non-issue when it comes to him warranting a spot in Smash.

Tetris is pretty much in a similar position when you think about it. It's a massively popular game known by pretty much everyone and which most people who are familiar with video games played at least once in their lives. The series sold pretty close to 150 million units worldwide, and the Game Boy version itself sold more than 30 million! Not to mention, this game was a huge deal at its time, as it was a system seller for the Game Boy and helped making Nintendo the unmatched leader of the handheld gaming market they're still today. It also inspired many Nintendo franchises such as Wario's Woods, Panel de Pon and Dr. Mario. As such, it's easy to understand why Tetris is such a big deal for Nintendo, and you can't say it doesn't warrant playable representation in Smash Bros. just because it is third-party. Tetris is such a famous series with huge legacy that whenever you see a geometrical form made of four squares, you can't help but think about a Tetris piece; as such, all the different blocks used in the game are easily recognized as gaming icons, and a playable Tetrimino would truly represent a huge part of Nintendo's history.

As far as creating a Smash fighter from a Tetris piece goes, it will require some very inspired creativity, like the one which gave us the Ice Climbers and the Duck Hunt Duo. Fortunately, there are enough elements from the source material to imagine some unique ideas, and possible creative liberties that would put emphasis on this character's uniqueness:
- include a shape-changing mechanic based on switching Tetrimino's current shape with another as well as rotating, in order to change its hitbox and hurtbox properties; it makes perfect sense to represent all the iconic shapes from Tetris and considering it's just a rearrangement of its body without altering most of its moves's original properties rather than arbitrary transformations like Zelda/Sheik;
- include moves that specifically take advantage of Tetrimino's current shape, like a "blocks stair" up B (to represent the simple but obvious block superposition mechanic), or generating and throwing small Tetris pieces on the stage taking its shape from the user's current one in order to complete lines and be rewarded by a powerful attack by completing one, or projecting its current shape for Smash attacks if we're looking for creative liberties highlighting the character's uniqueness;
- fast drop mechanic as a down aerial;
- various references to the Game Boy version of Tetris, the one that was the most influent for Nintendo, and the historically most fondly remembered one, such as a transformation into a space shuttle as a Final Smash, or taunts and victory screen involving sprites of Russian dancers and musicians as well as other sounds effects from Tetris, etc.

Just because you're not some mage with magic elemental powers from a RPG doesn't mean you don't have moveset potential. Sure, many of Tetrimino's moves would inevitably be created from scratch, but there's nothing wrong with that, as long as you're unique and inspired.

2. Let's debunk some arguments about why Tetrimino shouldn't be playable!

> Tetris is a third-party series! It is not owned by Nintendo!
Yes, I acknowledge this. But so do four characters currently playable in SSB4. They all had a notable influence on Nintendo as a whole and are all famous, timeless gaming icons. I know we're often rating third-party nobodies who can't compare with these in the slightest, but Tetrimino is not one of them. Tetris is a juggernaut franchise when it comes to its historical influence and a Tetris block has absolutely no fame to envy from these four guys.

> B-but no moveset potential!
Well I suppose you're one of these people who think anyone who doesn't come from an action-heavy or RPG game with a massive offensive arsenal at their disposal screaming "MUH MOVESET POTENTIAL PUT ME IN SMAHS!!!!1!1!!" should be ignored because it makes you struggle to imagine a moveset for them. You think whenever a character gets a move in Smash Bros. they don't personally use in the source material it's a crime that absolutely needs to be fixed (looking at you Ganondorf). Yet you love Captain Falcon and his "Falcon Punch!!" and "Show me your moves!" and you're begging Sakurai to find a way to bring the Ice Climbers back as DLC.
Well, of course the paragraph above is parodic, I had no intention to offense anyone. But I've already talked about some ideas that could make a Tetrimino a unique and inspired fighter. Unless Sakurai isn't as inspired as me for a Tetrimino moveset, "no moveset potential" is pretty much a non-issue.

> Tetris is not relevant!
Wait, seriously? You're saying that the most well-known puzzle game of all times which had a massive influence on Nintendo as a whole isn't "relevant"? Just because it didn't have much influence recently compared to the late 80s/early 90s doesn't mean its relevance is dead. If anything, Tetris had proven itself to stand the test of time; the game and its blocks are still as iconic as ever. No seriously, this unholy "MUH RELEVANCE RECENCY!!!!1!1!!" mentality needs to die.

> It's a freaking Tetris block! It's not even a character!
I smelt this one coming from miles away. I agree that those pieces as you generally see them in Tetris games are not actual characters, but that doesn't mean we can't establish a character from a Tetris block. And regardless, Smash helping characters to establish themselves is not unprecedented. It helped to establish as actual characters a black LCD shape vaguely looking like a human, a real-life game controller that looks like a robot (which becomes an actual robot in Smash), and your average fantasy "create your avatar" guy. Is it too hard to ask to create a living 3D Tetrimino with cartoony eyes plus tiny arms appearing whenever needed (like to grab an item)? Besides, Tetrimino's main characteristic is that it's a geometrical shape made of four squares, and adding needed eyes and arms to make it viable from a design standpoint is not going to break what a Tetrimino is at its core. At least not more than making a duck the duck hunt dog's best friend for example.

> It's a stupid idea which has no reason to be in the game except for shock value!
Okay I'll admit part of me wants to see the internet shocked by this reveal, but besides that, the main reasons why I want a playable Tetrimino are completely rational and justified. The potential creativity offered by the idea greatly interests me, and I'd be down with a such important series getting playable representation in Smash. Besides, characters are never chosen solely for their shock value; while I suppose Mr. Game & Watch and Duck Hunt may have surprised more than one people and made them think "WTF?" they're now fully established part of Super Smash Bros. and now everyone loves them and understand why they make sense as playable characters. The same will happen for Tetrimino: people will be shocked at first, but they'll start to bandwagon about how unique its moveset will be, will eventually understand why it makes perfect sense, and this character will on the long run be as beloved as Mr. Game & Watch.

> I don't want this character!
Okay, I'll not try to debunk that. (Unless you had some doubts about this idea and were finally convinced by what I said above, but that's another story.) You may not want this character because you think it is too far-fetched, because it doesn't interest you, or because you don't want a Tetris block turned into a character? I have no issue with it and I'm not going to force you to change your opinion.

3. Why Tetrimino isn't likely as a Smash DLC newcomer...

Tetris has a great, standing-out history with Nintendo and is on part with other third-party series with playable representation in Smash when it comes to fame. But that doesn't mean a Tetrimino is a likely newcomer. First, Tetris is neither owned by Sega, Capcom or Namco, which means Nintendo will have to negotiate the rights with yet another party, The Tetris Company. Also, is Sakurai interested in the idea? I thought about giving Tetrimino a shape-changing mechanic, as I think it's not only a way to make it a unique fighter, but also the best way to do it justice, but will Sakurai be as interested as I am? He's the guy who called Pac-Man "ridiculous" during Brawl times after all, thinking about his pizza shape, and I have a feeling he may think the same about a Tetris block. And if he's interested, will The Tetris Company be okay about a Tetris block as a playable character in a fighting game? They're rather strict about how the Tetris brand is used after all; for example, they have a planned set of color for each piece and they usually won't accept another color for each of them (for example, the L-Tetrimino is always going to be orange).

Even though most people acknowledge Tetris' importance towards Nintendo's history, there's admittedly not much serious and vocal demand for a Tetrimino as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. In fact, this character is mostly mentioned as a joke option in the Smash fandom, because of stigmas like "no moveset potential" or "it's not a character".

Despite Tetris' profile which makes it on par with other third-party series with a fighter in SSB4 when it comes to fame and historical Nintendo relevance, those issues are a big deal and make a Tetrimino as a DLC newcomer a pipe dream to be honest.

Tetrimino want: 100%
YES. ALL OF MY YES. MY MOST WANTED CHARACTER FOR DLC!

I have a long history with Tetris. The first time I ever touched this game, I believe, was when my older sister came from middle school with an handheld gaming system with many pre-installed blocks-based games such as Snake or Tetris, and I loved it. In fact, she assembled it as part of her technology courses. Later I assembled mine, the same one, in technology courses as well, and that's for best because I believe my older sister's didn't work anymore. This gaming system really made me attached to these simple, yet addicting games.

Many years later, actually less than one year ago, I found that a friend of mine owned a Game Boy and its version of Tetris. It was so great to rediscover this game I haven't touched since forever! Then I learned about how Tetris was a big deal for Nintendo's history, and as crazy at it sounds it made me wonder if a Tetris piece could be a playable character in Super Smash Bros. From scratch, I've managed to find some ideas for a Tetrimino moveset, at the point it actully really made me want to see it as a playable character! And when Nintendo announced that the Game Boy version of Tetris was going to be removed from the eShop, I quickly bought it before it vanished, and playing it again and again increased my want to see a playable Tetrimino in Smash. As much as getting two Tetris remixes from Brawl is awesome, this game deserves more.

This is something I have little faith into actually happening, but I swear if it is revealed through a live stream like a Nintendo Direct I'm going to have a reaction similar to Etika's to Mewtwo.
If you want you can visit the support thread; learn more about Tetris' history and Tetrimino's moveset potential!

-----

Style Savvy character prediction: 4.28%
A shot in the dark, though I believe it's a rather niche suggestion.

Azura prediction: 2.94%
Moar Fire Emblem but she has MUH RELEVANCE RECENCY!!!!1!1!!

Nominating:
Concept: DLC adventure mode x2
Concept: unpopular DLC character x2
(Rerate) Playable newcomer: Rayman x1

@ Aetheri Aetheri @BluePikmin11 I'm helping you to nominate your concepts, I think it may be interesting to rate them before the August Direct inevitably happens.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
You know, it's getting increasingly difficult to write witty intro lines for these twofer ratings.

--

Black Shadow

Often one of the characters brought up to be the second F-Zero character, the guy who took Batman's look and threw demon horns on it has his small share of fans.

...And that's about where the positives end. Here's what I feel: Any strong points that've been brought up in Black Shadow's favor are flawed.

He made the rounds for years in speculation, with the idea that he could take Ganondorf's current semi-clone moveset so that Ganon could get a new one. With the roster as is set in stone aside from minor balancing tweaks, Ganondorf can't exactly have his moveset reworked, now can he? And even aside from that, if Ganon were to get a revamp in a future game, who says there has to be a Falcon semi-clone to pick up the slack?

And therein lies the problem with his other argument, the one based around F-Zero getting another "rep". It looks at the Smash roster in terms of how many characters a series "deserves" to have, this ridea that the roster is some kind of virtual phallus-measuring contest between series. Thing is...it's never been about that. A character's identity and what series they hail from, while it still matters, isn't as important as what they could bring to Smash.

As a character whose only options are "Falcon clone for the sake of having someone carry Ganondorf's legacy" or "completely fabricate a moveset to retroactively justify adding him", Black Shadow has little going for him.

Want: 12%
It's not that I dislike the character, but he'd feel like an unnecessary addition. He has less of an argument than Roy, for Naga's sake!

Tetrimino

Chance: 0.5%
Yes, Tetris was a global phenomenon back in the 1980s. Yes, Tetris is very iconic as a series, on par with Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Street Fighter. Yes, the series has had a lot of success on Nintendo systems.

But would a Tetrimino even be viable as a Smash character? This isn't just a matter of picking out four special moves and a Final Smash to stand out with. There also needs to be a jab, dash attack, three tilts, three smashes, five aerials, a grab, pummel, four throws, three taunts, animations for each of these, animations for movement and jumps, numerous other little animations...the list goes on for a while! How would a Tetris piece actually do all of that in a manner that wouldn't feel like a massive thematic stretch?

Not knocking the idea, but where I've questioned the moveset potential of characters before, this one feels like it just flat out wouldn't work in Smash.

Want: 12%
Not ruling out the chance of the concept winning me over...but there's such a thing as being too oddball. It'd make a cool Assist Trophy, if anything, but asking for more feels like stacking your lines too high before you start clearing them.

Prediction for the Concept of a Style Savvy Character: 3.25%
A niche series whose primary demographic doesn't match up well with Smash? I can't see this being very high.

Azura Prediction: 1.87%
Some will point out that her home game won't make it out of Japan until at least three years after the Ballot closes. Many more will play the "no more Fire Emblem" card.

Nominations: Delphox x5

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Black Shadow

For the second F-Zero rep, he is one of the most likely candidates. In the past, fans requested that Black Shadow would be the Captain Falcon clone in Ganondorf's place, but with Ganondorf having the Capt. Falcon moveset for the third game in a row, hopes for Black Shadow's inclusion have been diminishing. Despite the recent Mario Kart 8 DLC featuring two F-Zero tracks and an F-Zero kart, there hasn't been any new F-Zero games since the Gamecube days, further diminishing Black Shadow's chances to the point he isn't requested a lot. He is an iconic character from the F-Zero series though and is especially famous for that Falcon Punch scene in the anime.

As epic it would be to see Black Shadow appear in Smash Bros as a playable fighter, he is simply not on my radar for my top 10 most wanted DLC characters for Smash 4. Perhaps I'll want to see him included in Smash 5 if a new F-Zero title will come out before Smash 5's release.

Tetrimono

He's simply just a set of blocks, and his third party status combined with minimal support hurts his chances greatly. However, the Tetris games are some of the most famous video games ever released, and there is always the element of surprise. I mean, what if Sakurai actually did figure out a way for Tetrimono to be playable? Sure it probably wouldn't happen, but hey, it's still a possibility. Remember when no one ever imagined the Wii Fit Trainer having a moveset for a Smash Bros? Well, look what happened to her. It just comes to show we should always be ready for the unexpected. We also have Tetris music in Smash Bros already, so that shows Tetris isn't entirely out of the picture for Smash Bros.

I really enjoy the Tetris games, but Tetrimono is simply far from my top 10 Smash Bros DLC wishlist. I will admit that a moveset for Tetrimono is somewhat possible, though I can't seem to pinpoint what it would be. I mean, I remember I was one of those people who never imagined Wii Fit Trainer being a playable fighter, but then I was surprised to see Sakurai managed to pull it off. Again, it just comes to show that a character who doesn't look like they could actually be in a fighting game could actually end up having the right moveset for said game after all.

Predictions:

Style Savvy Character: 5.54%
Azura (Fire Emblem): 3.13%

Nominations:

Jean Descole (Professor Layton): x5

Soon

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Black Shadow

Chances : 31%

One of the top F-Zero characters whose chances are not taken out by AT ( i'm looking at you Goroh ). If not THE TOP F-zero newcomer we'll see.

Want : 100%

Being the one who for the most part brought Black Shadow to be voted on this day of course i'm gonna want to see him in smash bros! If they can work absolute wonders for Falcons moveset, sure they can do it for this guy.

Tetrimino

Abstained. This is a object.

Prediction Style- Basically " Fashionista character " = 2.45%

Azura = 12.00+ given that she plays a major role in Fates, one of the top contenders for next FE Fighter right next to Corrin.

Noms

Hades x5

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
He's the Villain that Smash deserves, but not the one it needs right now!...or is he the villain Smash needs but not the one it deserves...I'm confused...

Black Shadow

Chance: 4%
F-Zero is pretty much that franchise that no one would know about if not for Smash. It has pretty much gotten it's big break once Captain Falcon joined the ranks of Nintendo's finest...But lately F-Zero seems to eb onne of those franchises that has been pushed aside for the time being. Fans wanted a new F-Zero to be announced at E3 and still nothing...Fans wanted a newcomer in Smash from F-Zero, but nope...Samurai Goroh is once again an Assist Trophy, but Black Shadow is currently MIA. Bringing in Black Shadow would give us a new villain, as well as give F-Zero a much needed boost, as it is one of those franchises that seems to slip through the fingers when it comes to content in smash...sure it pretty much gets a new stage every game, but these stages are very similar to one another being a bunch of platforms zipping through some race course with the occasional racers storming through as Hazards, with Big Blue being the only exception to this...It's almost as bad as the Lava stages for metroid...
Either way Sakurai must have some knowledge of F-Zero fans wanting a bit more...Falcon is cool but he's also not the only notable character from the game...

----

I'm not really into racing games all that much so I haven't ever played F-Zero...but I do understand that it kinda needs a bit mroe than what it's got...it is currently the only franchise represented in 64 with still only one playable character, Samurai Goroh seems an obvious choice for the second newcomer, but since he's stuck with teh NPC role, Black Shadow follows closely behind.

However there is one thing I want to mention about Black Shadow's possible inclusion. Various fans want Ganondorf to have a completely revamped moveset and give Black Shadow his old one. There is a problem with this...Yes, I agree Ganondorf's moveest could be better, but it isn't really the best way to go about by simply giving another character his old moveset...One: When people want a new character they want a NEW character, and not the same character just in a different outfit...and two Ganondorf mains have grown to love the character as he is, forcing them to switch to someone they may not care about is a bit unfair to them since it is Ganondorf that is regarded as the King of Disrespect, Not Black Shadow...
I was forced to shift my want score down slightly because of this because it isn't the right way to solve the problem...

----

OISZLTJ

Tetrimino

Chance: 0.1%
Tetris is arguably one of the greatest video games that has ever been made, Dr. Mario is a Nintendo title that functions similarily to the old school arcade game. Not to mention Smash had already featured a song in the Luigi's Mansion stage beinga remix of the original Tetris theme, which was a nice nod to the iconic game. So in other words adding more content to Smash isn't out of the question and since we already have the king of the arcade Pac-Man on board it seems fitting for Tetris to get a bit more in this game as well...

However...

There is just one small problem...Tetris doesn't have any characters...and from what it does have isn't exactly Fighter material, sure there have been ideas shipped out that featured various Tetrimino's in a 'humanoid' form or some to have arms and legs in a cartoony fashion, but I don't know...Sakurai is known for doing some things that are unorthodox, but this is a little bit too unorthodox...

Adding tetrimino's into Smash is possible but not as a playable fighter, an Assist Trophy could be cool where they fall from teh ceiling and crash down on the field, or even a stage where the characters are fighting on various Tetris blocks, while some blocks would simply fall from above or fall downwards or entire rows being revealed and the entire stage changes as everything collapses on itself...I kinda like this idea actually, a Tetris themed stage to go with all of Video Game's finest, imagine Mario, Sonic, Megaman, Pac-Man duking it out in the middle of a Tetris puzzle! This would be Gaming's finest moment right here!

----

I can't say I don't have fond memories of this game! Who doesn't? It got to the point where I use the word Tetris as a verb to describe fitting things into a tight space...'Let's Tetris these groceries into the trunk of my car!'...So do I want more content for this historic game in Smash....yes....As a playable fighter...no...I'm sure Sakurai could probably figure out a way to make them work but as said there are other things that can be done to implement more Tetris into the game without forcing it...And after writing this Rating I really really really want a Tetris themed stage now! Omega form could literally be a collection of Tetris pieces to form the FD styled stage...it's just too perfect!

----

Prediction:
Style Savvy Character: 5.4%
I've seen this idea being pushed a fair bit...from what I hear it'd be like a Wii Fit Trainer...cept with Fashion...Trendy...

Azura: 0.7%
Fire Emblem...after Kid Icarus it's another franchise that many fans I'm sure are tired of seeing a lot of in smash...

----
Nomintations:
Concept: DLC Adventure Mode x3
Concept: New Metroid Prime stage x2

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Here's an updated Nominations list for you guys. This does not yet include nominations made during Black Shadow/Tetrimino's day.

Hades - 159
Lloyd Irving - 159
Concept - All veterans returning: 150
Jill Valentine - 145
Jean Descole - 135
Concept: DLC Melee/Brawl Style Classic Mode - 124
Concept: SSB5 has a 10 year wait period - 123
Rerate: Young Link - 120
Adeleine - 119
Concept: No DLC after Ballot - 115
Concept: DLC Adventure/Story mode - 109
Mallo - 104
Concept: Moonstruck Blossom Music -103
Eggman - 99
Tiki - 90
Talim - 89
Concept: Mother 3 Stage - 88
Concept: Secondary Ballot - 87
Ghirahim - 80
Concept: Ms. Pacman costume - 80
Nabbit - 75
Concept: New Kirby Stage from New Kirby Game - 70
Concept: New Star Fox Character revealed around Star Fox Wii U release - 66
Delphox - 65
Rerate: Chibi Robo - 60
Concept: Advance Wars rep - 56
Starman - 53
Leon Powalski - 51
Concept: This is the Last SSB - 51
Gallade - 50
Rerate: Isaac - 50
Fossil Hero - 47
Monster Hunter - 46
Gardevoir - 45
Django - 44
Rerate: Rayman - 40
Concept - Smash Run for Wii U - 40
Concept - Unpopular DLC Character - 40
Lana - 39
Isaac (Binding of Isaac) - 38
Rerate: Pichu - 38
Alexandra Roivas - 37
Rerate: Shantae - 37
Terra Branford - 36
Anthony Higgs - 36
Galacta Knight - 36
Concept: Namco or Sega get a 2nd rep - 36
Captain Syrup - 35
Prince Fluff - 35
Samurai Goroh - 35
N - 33
Rerate: Paper Mario - 33
Concept: SSB5 has a new director - 33
Klonoa - 31
Concept: Pirate Ship Stage - 31
Concept: DLC used to promote new game - 31
Fiora - 30
Agumon - 30
Excitebiker - 30
Isabelle - 30
Saki - 29
Rerate: Wolf - 29
Gooey - 28
Bubsy - 27
Jin Kazama - 26
Concept: More DLC Custom Moves - 26
Serperior - 25
Dragon Quest Hero - 25
Concept: 4th Mii Fighter Type - 25
Endou Mamoru - 23
Cranky - 22
Isa - 21
Shy Guy 21
King Boo - 21
Pious Augustus - 21
Ryu Hayabusa - 20
Nester - 20
Sturm - 20
DK Jr - 20
Concept: remix DLC Music - 20
Concept: Full Ken Alt - 20
Abraham Lincoln (Code Name S.T.E.A.M.) - 19
Young Cricket - 17
Impa - 16
Doshin the Giant - 16
Mike Jones - 16
Rundas - 15
Chrom - 15
Captain Rainbow - 15
Muddy Mole - 15
Jirachi - 15
Sukapon - 15
Porky - 15
Poochy - 15
Concept: Boss Battle Mode - 15
Rerate: Bandanna Dee - 14
Concept: New Metroid Prime Stage - 14
Concept: Most Popular Character by Region - 13
Shadow - 12
Rerate: Spyro - 12
Mother Brain - 10
Viruses - 10
Concept: Rhythm Heaven Team made up of popular RH characters - 10
Rerate: Slippy - 8
Concept: SSB5 is a Playstation All Stars Crossover - 8
Qbby - 6
Alex Kidd - 5
Ultimate Ghost - 5
Neku - 5
Goemon - 5
Henry - 5
Patricia Wagon - 5
Zero - 5
Gunvolt - 5
Party Phil - 5
Rerate: Elma - 5
Rerate: Mach Rider - 5
Concept: SSB4 has an NX Port - 5
Concept: All veterans except Ice Climbers and Young Link - 5
Cloud - 4
Rerate Concept: DLC Alternate Costume - 4
Rerate: Simon Belmont - 3
Achilles - 1
Rerate: Lip - 1
Rerate Crono - 1
Rerate: Jibanyan - 1

Black Shadow

Tetrimino

Style Savvy prediction: 3%

Azura prediction: 2%

Nominations: Agumon 5x

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Black Shadow

F-zero has gone 3 games with just 1 character:crying:

Want: 100%
WATASHI WA SHINEN SHINENZU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tetrimo

Predictions: Style Savvy character 10%

Predictions: Azura 2%

Nominations: Pious X5.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Black shadow chance 8%
No new f-zero game but we need more villains and also he is probably being voted in the ballout but not really high

Want %50
We need more villains but I want black shadow take ganondorf moveset and ganondorf get complete new moveset from zelda games and big changes maybe in smash 5?

Tetris block chances %0
For DLC no it will fail to make money

Want %0
Why would I want this?!

Nomination
Nester x5
Donkey kong jr. X5
Alex Kidd x5

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Black Shadow
Most of his support comes from wanting him to replace Falcondorf. Not to mention that F-Zero is currently on hiatus and Samurai Goroh should probably have priority. (even if he's an assist trophy)
Meh

Tetromino
Third party non-character?
Want: 50%
Its so absurdly stupid I'd love it. But I think a Tetris stage should come first.

Prediction
Style Savy 6.72%
Azura 2.1%

nominate All veterans returning x5
I've also changed my mind about delaying it.

Top Bottom