• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Gengar

Chance: 2%
There's already a lot of Pokemon in the game and I'd imagine he's low on the priority list if they were to add another. (:squirtle::ivysaur:)

Want: 60%
One of my favorite Pokemon, and he could definitely have a pretty cool moveset, but there are others I would add over him. (Spoiler: It's not :squirtle::ivysaur:)

Prediction:
Inkling: 50%

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Gengar's chances: 0.5%

Any Pokémon newcomer is going to get a low score from me. Even ignoring the fact that Mewtwo exists, there's three veterans left that want a second shot, and I feel any of them would be picked before a new one. And then among potential newcomers there are still a lot of Pokémon to choose from. Popularity and Pokkén save Gengar from a zero, but it would still be a huge surprise if he got in.

Want: 50%

I was originally planning on giving him a much lower want, but after thinking about it...I actually wouldn't mind it. I quite like Gengar, he's certainly notable enough, and I think he could be an interesting fighter. Don't really support him, but his inclusion would interest me. Moreso than some of the more popular choices like Sceptile and the remaining veterans, to be honest.

Inkling re-rate prediction: 31.49%

Nominations: Karate Joe x5

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Gengar - Kekeh!

Chance
10% - Gengar is... certainly recognizable, but it isn't the most recognizable of Pokemon that we have left to choose from. This, combined with the fact that there's (to my knowledge) no ballot support for it, plus other Pokemon that might have better chances than it (Sceptile, Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Pichu to name a few) probably give Gengar a run for it's Poke. Err, I mean money.

Want
5% - I don't want to be part of Team Meanies here, but there are other characters, heck, other Pokemon that I'd rather see. I understand how popular Gengar is (such as a mega-evolution, a character for Pokken, however, these only go so far so I didn't say anything about these in chance), but Gengar can't be the 7th most popular Pokemon to make it into Smash. I have nothing against Gengar, but... Gengar seems a bit out of left field.

Predictions: Inkling again huh? Well, their game was released, but aren't they still a bit new? Wouldn't it be better for Nintendo to wait off until Smash 5 where their star power would be better spent? 27.2%

Nominations: Meowth X5

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Gengar:
Chances: 2% While Gengar's pretty popular and relevant, it's a gen one rep and it has giant competition in the form of the lost vets, Sceptile, Grovyle, Jirachi, Blaziken, and quite a few other pokemon.

Want: 30% I wouldn't mind Gengar, it's just I'd much rather have a gen 3 or 5 rep *Cough* Jirachi *Cough* and even for Gen one, I support it's counterparts Clefable/Clefairy more than I would Gengar. On the other hand, Gengar is pretty awesome so I wouldn't be upset, just that he's not on my wanted list as much as the aforementioned Clefairy and Jirachi.

Predictions : Inklings 35%

Nominations: Dark Matter x 5

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Here I am, and all nominations up until this point are accounted for my post's update is coming right after this is posted). Sorry I got behind the last 40 hours or so, I just moved into a new apartment and it took a day longer than expected to get the Internet hooked up. I got a few messages from people panicking about their nominations not being counted... my post is always time stamped with the last update, and @ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice on the few days I've been late is always good about scanning the list to make sure he gets the right character or concept announced for the upcoming day.

Keep calm and catch 'em all! :)

Gengar
Chances - 0.10% A very popular Pokemon, that is given special attention in multiple places (Pokken Fighters, has a Mega, been pretty popular in the anime... I even know multiple people with a Gengar tattoo, and he has more merchandise like hats and T-shirts than most non starter Pokemon)... but he still doesn't stand out ahead of at least ten other Pokemon... and we aren't likely to get even one more, let alone ten more.

Want - 55% He has potential to be one of the coolest possible Pokemon additions to Smash, if his Pokken moveset and style is anything to go by.

Predict Inklings - 35%, but they're a lock for NX Smash. I fully expect them to be our "Little Mac" of the next game.

Nominate - Paper Mario x5

HotNTasty

Smash Apprentice
Gengar

Chance: 0.138696255% (1/721) .01%
Pokemon currently has six reps, one of which was already a DLC Character, so if somehow the series gets another :ivysaur:,:squirtle:, and even :pichumelee:, get top priority. Now if we manage to get past ALL of that there's still the issue of which pokemon gamefreak wants in smash bros. Why would the pick Gengar? What makes Gengar stand out amongst 721 species or almost 360 evolution families? Pikachu is the mascot, Mewtwo the first legendary, Charizard and Lucario are both in the top 5 most popular species in most regions, Jigglypuff was a recurring character in the anime, the Squirtle and Bulbasaur families (:ivysaur:) , along with the Charmander family (:4charizard:), the three starters that began the entire series, Pichu was co-posterboy for baby pokemon AND creator Satoshi Tajiri's favorite pokemon as of his inclusion in Melee, Greninja is a personal pick of Sakurai by design merit. Does gengar come anywhere CLOSE to any of this?

Unless I can get an answer to this, I see no reason to rate him any higher than I did.

"B-but Pokken-"
So can we expect to see Suicune and Gardevoir in Smash as well? That that doesn't even explain why he should come before the vets, or why pokemon even needs that many fighters in the first place.

Want: 35%
Having played the fan game Pokemon: Type Wild, I can already say Genger Carries himself quite well in a fighting game. Also I fondly recall Team Meanie's Gengar as being one of the few character with a worthwhile personality in the first PMD. That said, there's other pokemon I'd want more.

Prediction:
Inkling: 52% I see people hyping them up due to being just out.

Nominations: Vaati x5

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Here I am, and all nominations up until this point are accounted for my post's update is coming right after this is posted). Sorry I got behind the last 40 hours or so, I just moved into a new apartment and it took a day longer than expected to get the Internet hooked up. I got a few messages from people panicking about their nominations not being counted... my post is always time stamped with the last update, and @ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice on the few days I've been late is always good about scanning the list to make sure he gets the right character or concept announced for the upcoming day.

Keep calm and catch 'em all! :)

Gengar
Chances - 0.10% A very popular Pokemon, that is given special attention in multiple places (Pokken Fighters, has a Mega, been pretty popular in the anime... I even know multiple people with a Gengar tattoo, and he has more merchandise like hats and T-shirts than most non starter Pokemon)... but he still doesn't stand out ahead of at least ten other Pokemon... and we aren't likely to get even one more, let alone ten more.

Want - 55% He has potential to be one of the coolest possible Pokemon additions to Smash, if his Pokken moveset and style is anything to go by.

Predict Inklings - 35%, but they're a lock for NX Smash. I fully expect them to be our "Little Mac" of the next game.

Nominate - Paper Mario x5
Smash 4 just got released though, I feel they may just port the Wii U version of Smash 4 for the NX seems likely, with an updated version of the roster with the DLC characters in their respective franchises. With DLC stages and maybe new modes. We don't even know if the NX is going to be a long term console at this moment, a new Smash just because of a new console it just seems too soon, porting it just seems the most likely for the NX.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Gengar
Chance: 1%
It has just about nothing going for him. 1+ because a few people might have voted for him due to Pokken.

Want: 0%
I don't have a problem with more Pokemon, it being on of Nintendo's biggest franchises and all, but I do have a problem with more Kanto.

Inkling Prediction: 55.29%

Nominations:
Leon Powalski x2
Tails x2
Shy Guy x1

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Gengar
Chance: 0.5%
I just don't think they're going to focus on another Pokemon. I'll give the gen one Pokemon a chance of 0.5%.
I really have nothing to say about this character...

Want: 3%
Isn't Mewtwo enough? Let's let other franchises have a turn at getting a DLC character.

Prediction - Inklings: 39.5%

Nominations:
x5 Tails the Fox

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Smash 4 just got released though, I feel they may just port the Wii U version of Smash 4 for the NX seems likely, with an updated version of the roster with the DLC characters in their respective franchises. With DLC stages and maybe new modes. We don't even know if the NX is going to be a long term console at this moment, a new Smash just because of a new console it just seems too soon, porting it just seems the most likely for the NX.
That's exactly what I expect too (a definitive edition port), for sure, but I really think 2 or 3 new characters (including Inklings and Ice Climbers) will be one of the selling points, along with all DLC on disc, updated graphics, online structure, new modes, and a few other pieces of new content.

By no means do I expect 100% more content... more like 10 or 15% more in addition to all DLC stuff.

Edit: If the NX (assuming it is indeed a true console) is not backwards compatible, a super port of Smash Wii U is almost essential for a successful launch.

Last edited:

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Gengar :094:

Chance: 3%
With two other veterans yet to return and heavy competition from Hoenn, Gengar doesn't stand a ghost of a chance.

Want: 20%
His moveset in Pokken looks fun, but I don't really want another Pokemon in Smash.

Nominations
Tingle x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Gengar:
Chance 1%
He was the used in the opening of the first pokemon games, but besides that he is very insignificant.
Want: 1%
The only gen 1 pokemon I'll accept are Squirtle and Ivysaur only because of thier veteran status. With such a rich cast of pokemon to use, why have so many from the original? Its like all the FE characters coming from Marth's games

Prediction: Inkling 24%

Can I use the nominations for the two days I missed please?

Nominate all cut characters returning x5 (or 15)

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I have to say, I'm disappointed in the people who rated Gengar low specifically because they want a different character more. While different things interest different people, why do some act like these ratings are some kind of competition? All you're doing by lowballing a character you see as a "competitor" is skewing our ratings and making it that much harder to get an idea of where the community things their chances are. Is that really worth that fleeting feeling of satisfaction from feeling like you've somehow helped your own cause?

To say no less about the ones who make arguments against newcomers, then never bring them up for veterans, and say the veterans are inherently "more deserving" as if that absolves them of any issues. If you're going to argue a point, at least be consistent about it.

...What? Don't give me that look!

...Uh...why can't I move? :scared:

--

Gengar

Chance: 3.25%

Pokémon's first Ghost-type (well, fully evolved, anyway) has stayed popular throughout the years, a fact made evident when the fans voted it onto Pokkén's ever-expanding roster. As, well, a ghost, it'd feel different from any character we have so far, with a whole host of moves involving deception, trickery, and instilling fear in opponents. Not only that, but as a Pokémon, it already has a lot of moves to work with from its home series (some more plausible than others, though), giving a surprising amount of moveset potential!

That's where the good points end...because Gengar's biggest obstacles...are the surrounding circumstances. With Mewtwo already announced as DLC, most of the Pokémon characters with remaining support are the ones who already had support going into Smash 4's release. Mewtwo himself also harms Gengar's moveset potential, due to stealing away Shadow Ball, the most common Ghost-type attack and one you'll almost always see on a trained one. Though being announced for Pokkén caused a blip on the radar for people, since Gengar is already pretty popular it hasn't seemed to do much. Gengar's biggest problem, though, lies in when he debuted--with four mons from Gen 1 already in Smash, most of the Pokémon fans are rallying around mons from other generations (or Squirtle and Ivysaur, because, y'know, veteran bias).

And when so much of the rest of the fanbase is indifferent at best of the idea of another Pokémon getting in, with some even vocally opposing the idea by claiming other series "deserve" a "rep" more, there aren't a whole lot of people Gengar can rely on!

As least you're in a different fighting game already, right, buddy? Now can someone switch him out so Mean Look wears off?

Want: 32.5%
The idea of an undead gas monster flinging shadows around and freaking out opponents is kind of cool, but there's a cap on that interest when Shadow Ball (and Shadow Sneak, to a lesser extent) are already in use. As it stands, Gengar doesn't measure up much to me even within his own series.

It's not a knock against him, I'm just not as interested as I am with other characters.

Inkling Rerate Prediction: 27.75%
The Mii costumes and non-playable trophy are major points against them, but don't entirely rule them out for the Smash Ballot. There'll be higher ratings that focus on that, and it'll leave the average a little higher than expected.

Nominations: Absol x5

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
GENGAR:
CHANCE: 0%

Forgive the ridiculously fitting pun, but he seriously doesn't have a ghost of a chance. Besides not being particularly notable among the 700+ pokémon, he already has to contend with the fact that pokémon has got a DLC character already and can't really make a case for another. His only saving grace is that he's playable in Pokkén.

WANT: 5%
I like him but have little desire to see him in Smash.

INKLINGS PREDICTION: 19%
Many are crying gloom and doom already.

ASHLEY × 5

:231:

Last edited:

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Gengar:094:
Chances: 1/720 = 0,0013...= 0% there are too much pokemon and 0 Trainers
Want: I love this guy/gal... but I don't think this is a game for it 5%

Inklings:
Pred.: 33%? rerating will urt a lot. :salt:

Noms:
Bub/Bob x 5

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Just trying to get this one in on time, so probably not going to have any details.
Gengar
Chance- .5%
Want- 5%

Inklings Predictions- 19%
Nominations:

Crono x5

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Gengar
Chance: 5%
I'm not rating high. I feel most of the Pokemon should be low. Pokemon is always such a mess when it comes to Smash. It's evolved and changed a lot in the past couple of years and it will always have different, new, and popular characters to add when Smash comes around. I feel the first gen is basically half of this part of the roster. I really don't think we should have another Gen 1 Pokemon, even if it a Pokemon that we've never had before. No, I don't believe in the whole water-grass-fire triangle thing this is just something fans came up with because of the Pokemon trainer and people started to stick to it. (PS: Most of the things this community comes up with is BS anyway and shouldn't be taken that seriously unless proven of confirmation by Nintendo or Sakurai).
Want: 5%
Isn't Mewtwo enough to complete this part of the roster, especially for the First Gen of Pokemon. If we're going to get another Pokemon as DLC at least, let it be from another Generation. Again don't believe in the water-grass-fire, at least get someone that makes "sense" in a way. I say get someone from either Gen 2, 3, or maybe even 4 because these generations have never been represented in the Smash roster before outside of being just Pokeball Pokemon. Again don't think we need another because I belive what we have for this part of the roster is the perfect team.

Inklings Prediction 50%
I really do believe the Inklings are a half/half chance of getting in. People will rate them low because of the costumes, even though this is also a another thing that shouldn't be taken seriously by fans. When this game was around during Smash speculation people were wrong about Duck Hunt Dog, Dr. Mario, Mii, and Dark Pit and they all ended up in the game. I can see them being last minuete additions maybe either before or after the ballot because again people were wrong about other characters and think they have proof but then Sakurai drops one of those big ol bombshells and proves us wrong again. I say it's a wait and see for this one but I would love to have them.

Nominations:
Paper Mario x3

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Gengar

Chance: 2%
Inb4 too many Pokemon of the first generation.

Want: 75%
Best Ghost Pokemon with huge trolling potential and more licking attacks than Junior. Did I forget to mention being able to use that broken Shadow Sneak in Smash? :troll:

Prediction:
Inkling: 75%

Nominations: Style Savvy x5

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Gengar
Chance: 0% (rounded down) - Even if Pokemon were to somehow get another rep at this point the competition there is far too enormous for Gengar to even be considered. With over 700 possible choices, dozens of which being more popular than Gengar and three even having veteran status, including Gengar in the roster would just be completely random and unwarranted.
Want: 30% - I'd love too see a ghost on the roster, just not him.

Inkling prediction: 19%

Nominations: Azura x5 (This is Aqua's recently unveiled name for the English translation of the game.)

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
GENGAR
CHANCE: 2.76%
WANT: 25.46%
Gengar boasts one of the lowest chance ratings we've seen so far, he truly didn't have a ghost of a chance. Next up it's the return of the Inklings also please predict what score Beast Ganon will get tomorrow.

@ Chandeelure Chandeelure I added your score.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Inkling:
Chance: 19%
We do have Link who has a Mii Costume, and Mewtwo did have a trophy before he was added. But it would seem weird to add a special costume and a trophy, and then make them playable. If this was Smash 5, they would have gotten a 99%, but for now I think Splatoon has gotten enough advertisement via Smash Bros already.
Want: 40%
I don't own Splatoon, and I still haven't decided if its worth it or not because of my stupidly bad interent, but they make a ton of sense. But I do think that they are better of for Smash 5 to hype that game up.

Prediction: ganon 27%

Nominate all veterans returning x5

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
@ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice Um, this is awkward. Feel free to add my last minute score at this time, as the new ratings should be concentrated at this point.
OH LOOK EVERYBODY! WE'RE ON DAY...

Character Chance Ratings

-: Ryu - CONFIRMED! (97.7%)
-: Roy - CONFIRMED! (97.7%)

1: Wolf - 97.5%
2: Professor Layton - 90%
3: Chibi Robo - 65%

4: Rayman - 60%
5: Snake - 55%
6: Inkling - 50%
7: Sceptile - 45%
7: Krystal - 45%
8: Paper Mario: 44.5%

9: Dixie Kong - 43%
10: Wonder Red - 40%
11: Impa - 40.5%
12: Bayonetta - 35%
12: Simon Belmont - 35%
13: Cross - 35.7%

14: Elma - 35.3%
15: Ice Climbers - 30%
15: Captain Toad - 30%
16: Toon Zelda - 29.3%

17: Chorus Kids - 27.5%
18: Magolor - 25%
19: Henry Fleming - 25.7%
20: Spyro - 25.3%
21: Anna - 23%
22: Ivysaur - 23.7%
23: Jibanyan - 22%
24: Squirtle - 22.5%
25: Quote - 21.5%
26: Phoenix Wright - 20%
26: Shovel Knight - 20%
27: Shantae - 20.5%
28: Tetra - 20.3%

29: Gengar - 15%
30: 9-Volt - 10%
30: Midna & Wolf Link - 10%
31: Lip - 10.5%
32: Geno - 7%
33: Young Link - 6.3%
34: KOS-MOS - 5%
34: Ray - 5%
34: Pichu - 5%
35: Daisy - 5.7%
36: Ridley - 5.5%
37: Monita - 3%

Character Want Ratings

-: Ryu - CONFIRMED! (60%)
-: Roy - CONFIRMED! (10.5%)
1: Professor Layton - 100%
1: Shovel Knight - 100%
1: Wolf - 100%
2: Bayonetta - 95.3%
3: Simon Belmont - 90.5%
3: Sceptile - 90.5%
4: Shantae - 87%
5: Wonder Red - 86.5%

6: Gengar - 86.3%
7: Snake - 85%
7: Impa - 85%
8: Magolor - 85.5%

9: Anna - 80%
9: Ice Climbers - 80%
10: Chorus Kids - 80.5%
11: Jibanyan - 69.7%
12: Chibi Robo - 60%
12: Paper Mario: 60%
13: Midna & Wolf Link - 60.5%
14: Phoenix Wright - 55%
15: Ridley - 50%
16: Inkling - 30%
17: Henry Fleming - 30.5%

18: Rayman - 25%
19: Cross - 25.7%

20: Elma - 23%
20: Quote - 23%
21: Krystal - 20%
21: Dixie Kong - 20%
21: Toon Zelda - 20%
22: Tetra - 20.5%

23: Squirtle - 10.7%
23: Ivysaur - 10.7%
24: Geno - 10.5%
25: Spyro - 7%
26: Young Link - 5%
27: Lip - 5.7%

28: Captain Toad - 5.5%
29: Ray - 4.5%
30: KOS-MOS - 3%

31: 9-Volt - 3.5%
32: Monita - 1%
32: Pichu - 1%
32: Daisy - 1%

Concept Chance Ratings

1: DLC Characters Receive Custom Moves - 90.5%
2: DLC Alternate Costumes - 85%
3: 7+ DLC Characters - 80.7%
4: Any NPC Becomes Playable - 65.7%
5: R.O.B. Eyes Glitch Fix - 50%
6: DLC Music Packs - 50.5%
7: New Palutena's Guidance Conversations - 45%
7: Rhythm Heaven Character - 45%
8: Concept: Alpha Form Stages - 10%

Concept Want Ratings

1: DLC Characters Receive Custom Moves - 100%
1: DLC Alternate Costumes - 100%
2: New Palutena's Guidance Conversations - 90%
3: R.O.B. Eyes Glitch Fix - 75%
4: DLC Music Packs - 65%
5: Any NPC Becomes Playable - 50.5%
6: 7+ DLC Characters - 45%
7: Rhythm Heaven Character - 40.3%
8: Concept: Alpha Form Stages - 10.5%

E3 Ratings

1: Ryu - 100%
2: Roy - 90%
3: Smash Direct Satisfaction - 79.5%
4: Digital Event Satisifcation - 55%

Abstains (Inactivity)

King K. Rool
Banjo-Kazooie
Isaac
Bandana Dee

Mach Rider
Dark Samus
Viridi
Zael

Abtsains (Indifference)

Ninten
B.B. Bandit Trio
Other E3 Conferences

RATINGS

Gengar

Chance - 15%: Pokémon characters, especially after Mewtwo, are universally unwanted due to the series' heavy amount of representation through the roster. If you're a Gen I Pokémon, your chances will be diminished even further because repping theory.

Gengar remains to be one of the most recognizable darkhorse Gen I Pokémon. As we've seen with Pokkén Tournament and Pokémon X & Y, Gengar's a Pokémon that will always be on the downlow for a guest appearance or a new feature or enhancement within its series. And we're not even delving into its numerous anime cameos! I mean,.Lucario pretty much espouses this regardless of his now irrelevised period of promotions and movie tie-ins. He and Jigglypuff aren't even a legendary or a starter! Just randos piggybacking on the more entitled stars, absorbing their limelight all the while.

But then again, so can be said about Machamp, Rhydon, Snorlax, Scizor, Heracross, Alakazam, Gardevoir, Garachomp, Lopunny, Gallade, Zoroark, Hawlucha, and most likely many others.

You'd have to make an elaborately convincg case for it to make it in over a congested, heavily-contested series with split support bases all over. And while some of Gengar's more recent attention gives him leeway over the lot, it would require a massive influx of interest brought to the Pokémon in order to increase its Ballot chances, which I;m sure are seldom at best.

Want - 86.3%: Ryu & Roy taught me to no longer look at every character from how they would fit, but what they would bring.

Until a couple days before this rating came up, the idea of Gengar realized in Smash.never crossed my mind even fantastically. It's a real shame it doesn't have more supporters, because Gengar is a really cool character who would be extremely fun and unique!

First off, Smash hasn't had the Ghost-type represented off one character. Yet alone reprised through a special move! Shadow Punch and Shadow Claw would be the most malleable specials. Payback, Sucker Punch, and Night Slash could make neat specials in themselves, utilizing cunning, critically-damaging attacks that are telling of its sleazy nature. That big, expressive grin could be of great use with Mean Look. Thief would be unique to take grabbable objects out of fighters' grasp. Status effects could be played with through Confuse Ray or Hypnosis, which Hex would serve his kit well for follow-ups or punish opportunities with other elements of the battle triggering effects. Obviously, a mega Gengar transformation will be its Final Smash without a doubt, which could bring in more damaging special attacks, enhance his vanilla moveset, or both.

Gengar's main means of attack would be its spinal protrusions, dark claws, and its large body. Gengar could prove to be a wacky fighter with his elastic-y tongue, which could be doubled upon for a Lick special, and the use of slapstick gag props such as giant wooden mallets and rolled newspaper for a cruel, trickster elements to its attacks. Taking its PokéDex entries and species behavioral characteristics into account, gengar might be able to have an effect where it gains speed when facing behind a fighter or even have a mechanic where it can linger in or blend with the shadows of fighters, stage elements, etc., and/or give Gengar's attacks ice damage in a close-range sweetspot (chills its surroundings by -10 ° F), possibly doubling damage if coupled with shadow effects. Oh, and did I mention Gengar has proven to be able to levitate, giving it access to Perach's aerial shifting properties?

And if it's just too much to cohesively weave a Ghost and Dark type moveset for it, Pokkén Tournament and Pokémon Type WILD bring more than enough moveset fodder to pad out the character!

PREDICTIONS

!Rerate: Inkling

Chance - 49.89%
Want - 52.98%

NOMINATIONS

*Concept: Most Popular Ballot Characters By Region x4
*Concept: (Shin) Megami Tensei Character (includes Persona & Devil Survivor) x1

It's really sad that no one remember the southern hemisphere...the third word. In that way, Africa would get the European and South/Central America woudl get the North american one...
I think it's a good idea, because everyone has their favorites, and maybe in the americas we like one character more than others, and get it first seems nice...
BUT... last week we get 3 characters in a row, so I don't think the ballot would give us more than 3 characters
I acknowledged other continents and the 3rd world when coming up with this. At the expense of sounding elitist, those aforementioned 3½ regions are the most major markets for Smash, yet alone gaming. The highest demand and concentrated votes for characters will come out of those regions. Counting one for each of them would make this Ballot DLC overloaded.

Or, they could always go with looping in the other regions by their closest dominate market.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'll just throw a nomination at this point in time - I ended up getting lost after one of our lectures. >_< Expect a pretty good read from me when I get back to my computer.
Sylux X5

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Zero. Surely you must have an inkling as to what we're up to here.

Chance: 40%

Okay, these guys are getting pushed for despite the costumes and trophy. While trophies do not mean that a character :4lucas: is :4mewtwo: deconfirmed automatically, the addition of costumes in wake of Splatoon's release seems to imply they wouldn't want to experiment with them right now. But who knows, perhaps if they are recognized from ballot support, then they might be added despite the seeming drawbacks against them.

I'm on the fence on this one. Their game is less than a month old yet gets Smash content a short time after it's launch, which I personally feel is enough for this outing, but I won't complain if they are added.

Pork Ganon prediction: 7%

Nomination: Sylux x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Inklings
Chance:
50%

Honestly call me crazy, but I think that they have a shot for a few good reasons.
1. Splatoon is a game that went gold. It sold a lot of units for Nintendo and was a pretty good seller for the system when the game first released. I am pretty sure this franchise has a future.
2. The Inklings are pretty requested, both from a combination for Splatoon's hype and the fact that they could be unique in battle.
3. They already have content in Smash in the form of costumes and a trophy to boot. The series already has representation.
I can't count them out just yet, even though they already have a trophy and a costume. I think that their chances are 50/50 at this point; it really comes down to if Sakurai and Nintendo want to push for their inclusion and promote the game now. Now is better than later, where Splatoon might be irrelevant in a few years (though I doubt that).
Provided if the Inklings and Splatoon are still relevant in a few years, then they might become the next Diddy Kong or Little Mac of the next game.

Want: 10%
I've grown a bit interested in their moveset potential, but I am not a fan of how the Inklings look and the game doesn't interest me at this current time. Maybe another day...

Ganon Prediction: 10.28%
I think the boar King of Evil will have a much more difficult time...

Nominations: Owain 5x

D

Deleted member

Finally a chance to Rerate the Inklings. I own their game now, so let's give this a go. Oh and on a side note, my older brother is absolutely HOOKED and plays it more than i do.

Inklings
Chance: 67%
+Incredibly high demand amongst smashers
+Splatoon is still a recent game of course. It's also VERYYYY popular with people unable to shut their yaps about it.
+Unique Moveset potential with OP stage control and good ally in team battles.
-Not 80+ because they have a Trophy and Mii Costumes. If anything they were considered before just being... put there.

Want : 21%

My want rating remains at a low score still, because i think the Inklings will find a better spot as a Assist Trophy. If they somehow become playable it's one DLC i aint buying, unless it's packed with a Splatoon Stage ( god the soundtrack is so cool )

Beast Ganon : 4% Prediction

I'm fine with :4ganondorf:

Noms : Black Shadow X5

Aaaand i missed out on Gengars day. That Pokemons got some potential thanks to Pokken Tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Inklings

Chance: 50%

The recent DLC trophy and costumes might be an indication of their exclusion from the playable roster, but they still have healthy ballot support.

One thing's for certain, though; They'll be near shoe-ins for Smash 5 after the success of Splatoon.

I rated them 100% last time, but thinking about it now, I wouldn't be affected either way.

Prediction: Ganon - 20%

Nomination: Snake x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So let's see what last time was like...

Inklings

Chance: 35%
Well, all we know about them is...they're going to be featured in a game which isn't even being released for a month. It's odd to even consider that they'll make an appearance in Smash without a game to their name (but like most things in Smash, it's been done before - Roy in Melee...). What they do have going for them is the fact that they absolutely stole the show at E3 last year. We know nothing about how well the game will do, or even if we're going to like it, so why is everyone so hyped about supporting them? True, they're a new franchise (maybe TOO new), but why does something being brand new automatically trump something established? Perhaps we should wait a bit to see how they are received. Besides, the 3DS will never be able to handle a 'paint everything' based moveset - their best moves would probably be similar to Mario's FLUDD. And doesn't everyone hate that move? Could be interesting, but we know nothing about them.
Also, like Toad, they've got amiibo already. We'll see... But as of now, it really feels like a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon. Maybe they'll be awesome, maybe the game will fall flat - we don't know yet.
Want: 15%
Just because it's new doesn't mean it needs to be included. Sm4sh already is chock full of newbies...its newest character is currently from less than a year old. 5 of the current cast did not exist before Brawl in 2008, whose newest character then was from 7 years prior. Yeah, I may be a bit biased, but I'm pulling for villains in established franchises - ones who were cameos in Melee in 2001 who have not gotten a chance to be playable.
They look like they fit the part, but I'm still sitting on my votes here since they're nowhere near my most wanted. How can I tell if I'll like a character if all I know of them is a hype trailer from E3?

So now that the game's been released, it seems the hype train is still going strong (side note, how is it? I'm terrible at FPS games, but this one looks fun...I may have to get it eventually. Is the single-player mode existent and not empty?).

But then again, they got a trophy and Mii costumes which look a little too eerily similar to the amiibo. That definitely hits them hard.

On the whole, I'll stick with my previous ratings; not much has changed in my mind.
Chance: 35%
Want: 15%
Prediction: Dark Beast Ganon - 9.1%

Nom: Ghirahim x2, Black Shadow x2, Classic classic mode x1

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Inklings

Chance: 50%

On one hand, they are a very popular pick and have healthy ballot support. On the other hand, the trophy and Mii costumes makes it uncertain on whether Sakurai would make them full-fledged characters if they gain enough support or not. It could go either way, honestly. Regardless of the outcome though, they are more or less guaranteed for Smash 5.

Want: 90%

They are kids, but also squids. They are also pretty adorable~

Their game is pretty charming, and I can't wait to play it~

Prediction: Ganon - 7%

Nomination: Gardevoir x5

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Inklings

Chance: 30%
I feel that the addition of both the costumes and the trophy after the release of Sm4sh shows that Nintendo is willing to promote them but still isn't sure if they should be added as newcomers right away. Despite this, they have a heavy presence in the ballot, though I feel like Nintendo would prefer to keep them for Smash 5.

Want: 20%
For a series that has just been out for nearly a month, I feel that it already has a lot of content. To be honest, I'd prefer them for Smash 5 so they can hype it and in those years in between surely the series would have expanded even more adding many other options to the fray.

Nominations
Tingle x5

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
INKLINGS!
Chance: 4%
If the Inklings can't ink the ground and swim around in their turf, what's the bloody point? And setting aside the sheer overhaul the engine will need to allow just one inkling to do this, let alone four or eight, how would you balance an ability like that? Only another inkling would be able to ink over existing ink, and if the ink evaporates within seconds, that's just not how Inkling ink works.
Want: 60%
That said, it would be pretty damn cool if they could find a way.

Beast Ganon prediction: 26%

Nominations: !Rerate Spyro x1, Crash x4

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Fun fact: It's been almost exactly two months since our first rating of these guys.

--

Rerate: Inklings

Chance: 25% -> 25%
So what have we learned in the last couple months? A pretty big mix of things. With Splatoon out now, the hype train has kept rolling, though in a different direction than before. With Inkling Mii costumes and now a non-playable trophy implemented in the latest patch, it seems Nintendo is playing it safe with their new franchise. On the other, the Smash Ballot may still be fair game, and between all the primary weapons, secondary weapons, and ultimate attacks to choose from in Splatoon, the Inklings have shown to have quite a bit of moveset potential.

The question lies now on whether they could get in via the Smash Ballot...but the answer to that is no less complicated.

The re-ratings so far have had a recurring theme: chances as high as ever, but diminished want ratings. That's something I've noticed elsewhere online as well: the Inklings seem more expected than wanted right now. Where their support was high in the weeks leading up to Splatoon, it seems they've fallen back a little, more into the middle ranges. Perhaps now that the game has satiated the fans, they're less impatient about getting Splatoon content right now.

There's also something else in play still...the question of whether Nintendo would throw a new IP into a playable role in Smash so quickly.
The biggest assumed advantage the Inklings have is that they could use Smash to promote Splatoon. But no character--not even Roy--was added to Smash for promotional reasons, and we've seen nothing so far to suggest their stance has changed. As Smash is a celebration of Nintendo and its games first, and a marketing tool second, the whole promotion argument falls apart like an ink creature in water.
Now that the only "promotion" Splatoon got in Smash were a trophy and Mii costumes, the argument that the Inklings could become playable to promote Splatoon is all but busted. It seems they'll have to rely on the Smash Ballot now...provided that would even give them a chance in the first place. After all...
Adding a character to Smash from a series that will be less than half a year old when the polls close could work out...or it could just as easily end up coming back to haunt them. The dev team has to know this.
Though I took a risk with my original rating, I feel more confident now that it's more likely Nintendo will hold off on putting the Inklings into Smash for a while. Until we have a proper, more-than-just-a-couple-months gauge on how well the series will hold up, it's just too early.

Want: 20% -> 30%
Early enough to where putting them in Smash now would still feel a little off, even though they've shown to have enough moveset potential to where I'm not worried about that aspect of them. If Splatoon continues to be a success, though, you can expect this to go up 40-50 points for Smash 5.

Ganon Prediction: 4.87%
Though it may be a different form of Ganon, expect the fact that Beast!Ganon is already a Final Smash to affect the ratings. I bet there'll also be some "no two Ganons" arguments, as well.

Nominations: Absol x5
Here's an interesting little thing: Most attacks Absol commonly run are actually on the more mid-power end, with less strength than the likes of Fire Blast or Hydro Pump but more accuracy and (with some) a greater than normal crit rate. That could get worked into Absol's moveset, with high-damage attacks that are also surprisingly fast!

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-Inklings:
Chances: 10%
Want: 0%

Yokta's post is pretty much what I think about them, their moveset potential is weird to use in Smash, or maybe they will make them a generic Mii Gunner clone or Swordman with a brush instead of a sword, but I doubt that.
I don't think painting the stage would be possible to do in Smash, specially in multiple Inkling battles... also add the DLC trophy, that's for me just screams: They are popular, but no, not in this game, sorry.

And for the want... meh, the generic Inklings are pretty boring IMO, the Squid Sisters would be much better, but that's impossible.
I will just give a 0% to all the characters I don't really want because the DLC slots are very limited.

-Nominations:
Dixie Kong Rerate X5

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Inkling:

Chance: 70%

Want: 70%

Nomination: Serperior x 5

Prediction:

Beast Ganon - 11%

Top Bottom