• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Toon Zelda
Chance: 42%
This is definitely an interesting character to rate. I can't help but feel that Toon Zelda the most likely candidate in the Zelda franchise to be added to the Smash roster, but most of the Smash fanbase doesn't feel that way. Let me tell you why I'm so optimistic about her chances. I want to rate fairly and don't want to appear biased since she is one of my most wanted characters, so I'll try my best to plainly give you all my opinions as to why I think Toon Zelda's chances are above average. I'll start by saying that The Legend of Zelda is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, so I'd be surprised if it missed the boat for getting some DLC content sometime in the near future.

The most obvious one is that Toon Zelda was planned to be in Brawl. She was eventually scrapped possibly due to time constraints. The point is that she was worked on enough to get her files on the final product. What you have to understand is why it was her who was going to be on the roster. Toon Zelda is an important icon in the Zelda franchise. The design has been used in about a third of the series, so it makes sense that she was chosen to further represent the franchise.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised of Sakurai wanted to revisit the idea of adding Toon Zelda as DLC. It wouldn't be the first time he's done something similar. In fact he's doing it right now with the characters being added as DLC. Mewtwo and Roy were characters that were going to be in Brawl along with Toon Zelda. Dr. Mario was already on the initial roster. He's added characters that he considered for previous Smashes like King Dedede and Miis. He's even added modes that he wanted in previous Smashes like 8-Player Smash. I don't see why he wouldn't consider bringing in Toon Zelda for DLC; in fact I think she's the perfect Zelda DLC character (Oops, my bias was almost showing right there, but I'll tell you why I think she's a perfect DLC character).

Wind Waker HD is available the Wii U along with Smash 4. Since much of the focus has been on adding characters who are relevant, why not add Toon Zelda? Many of you will say that Toon Link represents the game and art style fine by himself, and I completely agree, but the argument can be made for many franchises currently represented in Smash that have a decent number of characters. And Toon Zelda wouldn't just be representing that game, but representing all of the classic Zelda games where Zelda is a child just like Toon Link does.

If your thoughts are that she wouldn't sell well, I highly doubt that's the case. Toon Zelda is very recognizable to the general audience, and most casual Smash players (the majority of the fanbase) won't care that she would probably be a semi-clone like people on the Internet forums do. They'll just see her as a new character they can download and play. Speaking of which, Toon Zelda has the potential and would probably be more different to Zelda than Toon Link is to Link. She could be almost as unique as Lucas and Wolf, and nobody around here has problems with them.

For those who think that Sakurai wouldn't revisit the idea of adding Toon Zelda because she's not unique enough to be a DLC newcomer this time around, we aren't quite sure how things work for DLC now. All we've really seen so far are veterans. New semi-clones could very well be on the table. You have to remember that Sakurai is working with a smaller team, so it makes complete sense to me that he could consider a character that probably has a basis to work off of since Toon Zelda was considered for Brawl. We've seen veterans, and many of us are expecting to see Ryu too. Ryu is from a fighting game so he already has a complete move set to work with. All the DLC characters we've seen/expect have assets to work with. What does that tell you? It tells me that since the Zelda franchise didn't get a newcomer, Wind Waker HD is relevant on the Wii U now, and Toon Zelda was already considered and most likely worked on in the past, she is the most likely Zelda character we could get for DLC in Smash 4. With all that said, I'll give the wise young princess a score of 42%.
If The Legend of Zelda gets a new character for DLC, my rupees are on Toon Zelda...

Want: 100%
Since Toon Link is my main and Wind Waker HD is my favorite Zelda game, I'm completely alright with the idea of Toon Zelda in Smash. I just wish more people were as well.

Prediction - Anna: 11.7%

Nominations:
x5 Tails the Fox

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Well, looks like I'll have to file little Machie under Abtsain (Inactivity) this time. :cry:

Well, at least I'm here early for the next day. Expect a my post within this hour or the next.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Toon Zelda:

Chance: 28%

She was originally going to be in Brawl as evident by the data mining of Brawl. Not only that but two of the forbidden seven are in Smash 4, with a third(Roy) rumoured to be getting in as well. Although she does have a drawback of getting as she was not as requested compared to other characters on the ballot unless she's one of the five characters planned to be DLC as shown in the data mining of the latest patch of the 3DS version.

Want: 40% I don't mind her as much. Although I'd prefer someone like Ganon instead of her.

Prediction:

Anna:7.43%

Nominate

Lloyd Irving x3

Mother 3 Stage x2

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Toon Zelda
Chance:
15%

Zelda is a pretty big franchise and it's by far one of Nintendo's most recognized, the fact that Link's amiibo is the best selling proves that. So, anything from Zelda will sell.
But what about Toon Zelda herself? I think she is the most requested Zelda character now, but that might not be saying much as requests for Toon Zelda aren't that big, and thus ballot support is limited.
She could be implemented as more of a quick buck than anything. She would be an easy clone to make and she would sell.

Want: 0%
Not a fan of clones.

Anna Prediction: 17.77%
Oh boy. We'll get no sympathy in this Fire Emblem discussion tomorrow.

Nominations: Owain 5x

D

Deleted member

15 days ago...

Simon Belmont

Konami’s current situation is unfortunate partially because I like Castlevania and would be thrilled to see that universe represented in Smash. The iconic vampire hunter’s moveset has the potential to be at least somewhat unique thanks to his use of the whip, and I would be especially pleased if he coincided with additional content such as music remixes and trophies inspired by his series. How can I say no to his inclusion? Hands down, Simon Belmont is my most wanted third party character not featured in Smash 4. Is he the most deserving? No, but neither is Ryu, and neither was Snake back when he appeared in Brawl.

Oh well. On the bright side, there’s Miriam, the protagonist of former Castlevania series producer Koji Igarashi’s upcoming spiritual successor called Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.
Some other person said:
Um…King, I’d hate to break it to you, but that game won’t be available on a Nintendo platform.
KingBro1 said:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night
Bloodstained Wii U.png

If Konami continues to be the mess they are currently, then I know who I'll be supporting for Smash 5.

Now, on to today's subject!

Toon Zelda

Chance: 35%

I only rated her this high because she was one of the Forbidden 7 in Brawl. She doesn't have much else going for her aside from possibly being an easy clone of Zelda, but I can already imagine the possible resulting backslash. :4shulk:

Also, Zelda's Phantom retains the Toon art style from Spirit Tracks rather than being treated with a Twilight Princess-esque redesign. What does that mean? Either Toon Zelda was planned for Smash 4 at one point and was scrapped early in development or I'm overthinking it.

Want: 50%

There are other Zelda characters that I would prefer.

Prediction: Anna - 20%

Nomination: Zael x5

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to celebrate the success of Bloodstained's Wii U stretch goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Toon Zelda
Chance: 42%
This is definitely an interesting character to rate. I can't help but feel that Toon Zelda the most likely candidate in the Zelda franchise to be added to the Smash roster, but most of the Smash fanbase doesn't feel that way. Let me tell you why I'm so optimistic about her chances. I want to rate fairly and don't want to appear biased since she is one of my most wanted characters, so I'll try my best to plainly give you all my opinions as to why I think Toon Zelda's chances are above average. I'll start by saying that The Legend of Zelda is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, so I'd be surprised if it missed the boat for getting some DLC content sometime in the near future.

The most obvious one is that Toon Zelda was planned to be in Brawl. She was eventually scrapped possibly due to time constraints. The point is that she was worked on enough to get her files on the final product. What you have to understand is why it was her who was going to be on the roster. Toon Zelda is an important icon in the Zelda franchise. The design has been used in about a third of the series, so it makes sense that she was chosen to further represent the franchise.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised of Sakurai wanted to revisit the idea of adding Toon Zelda as DLC. It wouldn't be the first time he's done something similar. In fact he's doing it right now with the characters being added as DLC. Mewtwo and Roy were characters that were going to be in Brawl along with Toon Zelda. Dr. Mario was already on the initial roster. He's added characters that he considered for previous Smashes like King Dedede and Miis. He's even added modes that he wanted in previous Smashes like 8-Player Smash. I don't see why he wouldn't consider bringing in Toon Zelda for DLC; in fact I think she's the perfect Zelda DLC character (Oops, my bias was almost showing right there, but I'll tell you why I think she's a perfect DLC character).

Wind Waker HD is available the Wii U along with Smash 4. Since much of the focus has been on adding characters who are relevant, why not add Toon Zelda? Many of you will say that Toon Link represents the game and art style fine by himself, and I completely agree, but the argument can be made for many franchises currently represented in Smash that have a decent number of characters. And Toon Zelda wouldn't just be representing that game, but representing all of the classic Zelda games where Zelda is a child just like Toon Link does.

If your thoughts are that she wouldn't sell well, I highly doubt that's the case. Toon Zelda is very recognizable to the general audience, and most casual Smash players (the majority of the fanbase) won't care that she would probably be a semi-clone like people on the Internet forums do. They'll just see her as a new character they can download and play. Speaking of which, Toon Zelda has the potential and would probably be more different to Zelda than Toon Link is to Link. She could be almost as unique as Lucas and Wolf, and nobody around here has problems with them.

For those who think that Sakurai wouldn't revisit the idea of adding Toon Zelda because she's not unique enough to be a DLC newcomer this time around, we aren't quite sure how things work for DLC now. All we've really seen so far are veterans. New semi-clones could very well be on the table. You have to remember that Sakurai is working with a smaller team, so it makes complete sense to me that he could consider a character that probably has a basis to work off of since Toon Zelda was considered for Brawl. We've seen veterans, and many of us are expecting to see Ryu too. Ryu is from a fighting game so he already has a complete move set to work with. All the DLC characters we've seen/expect have assets to work with. What does that tell you? It tells me that since the Zelda franchise didn't get a newcomer, Wind Waker HD is relevant on the Wii U now, and Toon Zelda was already considered and most likely worked on in the past, she is the most likely Zelda character we could get for DLC in Smash 4. With all that said, I'll give the wise young princess a score of 42%.
If The Legend of Zelda gets a new character for DLC, my rupees are on Toon Zelda...

Since Toon Link is my main and Wind Waker HD is my favorite Zelda game, I'm completely alright with the idea of Toon Zelda in Smash. I just wish more people were as well.

Prediction - Anna: 11.7%

Nominations:
x5 Tails the Fox

I pretty much agree with your stance on the Toon Zelda ratings. Brawl's forbidden 7, big role in WInd Waker and other hand-held games (on the DS).

I would also argue that Toon Zelda can incorporate a few different spells and attacks to warrant her at least as a semi-clone to Zelda.

Chance: 40%

Want: 80%

Prediction:
Anna: 12.5%

Nomination: Medusa x 5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Toon Zeda
Chance: 15%
Originally planned for Brawl as a last minute clone, emphasis on last minute. Last minute doesn't really work when it comes to clones and she wasn't even close to finished in Brawl. Although she is among the more likely Zelda characters.
Want: 10%
A clone of a character who is already in twice. That said I am a big Zelda fan.

nominate R.O.B. eye bug fix x5

Prediction Anna 13%

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Roy C 85% W 30% (opinion has now changed to 0% want)
Ridley C 5% W 70%
Chorus Kiddos C 17% W 10%
Magolor C 23% W 100%
Midna and inferior Star Wolf C 0% W 0%
Ray C 10% W 20%
Tetra C 15% W 40%
Pichu C 45% W 90%
Ryu C 75% W 5%
Daisy C 15% W2%
Ninten C 10% W 30%
Geno C 0.1% W 7%
Squirtle C 50% W 40%
Ivysaur C 40% W 70%
Prof. Clefairy Layton C 3% W 0%
Spy and Pyro : C W
Dlccostumes C 75% W 90%
Music Packs: C 70% W 100%
somehow got out of date, will update it again
Toon Zelda:

Chance: 14% Just one percent lower than my Tetra rating, I feel that Nintendo would use her more unique and iconic role in the game. Wasn't she planned in brawl (with Tetra too) or something?
Want: 0% I really, really, don't want more clones. At least not for DLC.
We are rating Toon Zelda's chances alone right? Not her + Tetra? Or does Tetra also count as Toon Zelda, which would bring up my rating?

Seriously, if I'm misunderstanding this, please intervene and tell me.
Predictions: Anna 10% a ton of 0%s and then one guy will inflate it like crazy.
Nominations: Dark Matter (kirby) x 5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Roy C 85% W 30% (opinion has now changed to 0% want)

We are rating Toon Zelda's chances alone right? Not her + Tetra? Or does Tetra also count as Toon Zelda, which would bring up my rating?

Seriously, if I'm misunderstanding this, please intervene and tell me.
Yes, we are ratting Toon Zelda alone. Tetra as a transformation is disqualified due to no transformations in the main game, and Tetra solo was already rated exactly 20 days ago.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Toon Zelda:

Chance: 14% Just one percent lower than my Tetra rating, I feel that Nintendo would use her more unique and iconic role in the game. Wasn't she planned in brawl (with Tetra too) or something?
Nope. She was planned with "Toon Sheik". Yes, that's what it was.

Troykv

Smash Master
Toon Zelda... (Eh...)

Chance: 30%

Well... She was planned and scrapped in the end in Brawl... That is already better than be only considered.

Want: 25%

Eh... I'm not a fan of the Clones as no-fillers unless they have a lot the differences in game-play and animations.

Predictions: Anna

Chance: 14%
Want: 35%

Nominations:

Micaiah x5

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Look at this picture...Is there a trend I see? Or is it nothing to shake a deku stick at? We shall see eventually...

Toon Zelda

Chance: 20%
I'm not fully optimistic of her chances as DLC. She was indeed intended to be in Brawl but was left out, was it due to time constraints or was she just straight up cut last minute...I can't help but think of the redundancy of the Zelda roster adding a third clone character...two of which are clones of characters from the same franchise...Although yes, Wind Waker is a popular title and after it has stemmed several other 'ok' games...I'm not sure it really garners another character from that game specifically...yes, we have Link, Zelda and Ganondorf in their TP designs but they still represent the Hero, Princess, evil Pig Man of the franchise respectively, they are the most recent designs for all three as Skyward Sword did not feature Ganondorf so it wouldn't seem consistent if Link and Zelda were SS and Ganon still TP...Toon Link (represents the popular Wind Waker title) and Sheik (represents the popular Ocarina of Time title) could be exceptions to this as they could represent specific games...

As far as the Forbidden Seven go...We Have Dr. Mario, added in the base roster, Mewtwo, added via DLC, Roy, quite possibly on the way, Dixie Kong, highly requested DLC contender, which leaves...Toon Sheik (possibly Tetra), Toon Zelda, and Pra_mai (most likely a Plusle and Minun pairing), but is there really a trend happening, I mean two and quite possibly a third of the F7 are here or one the way, but this still doesn't confirm the others as those three are veterans (two of them clones as well)...Being planned initially doesn't mean they will be added to a smash game eventually, as James Bond was planned for 64 (inb4 James Bond is not a video game character), point is sometimes characters are looked at, considered, even worked on then shoved aside due to other circumstances (most will say time constraints, but that's not the only factor that leads to a character not getting in), perhaps Sakurai left Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik out because of redundancy? I mean Toon Link was still new at the time so just adding him on his own could very well have been more than enough rather than adding a Second Zelda in the same game...but only Sakurai knows for sure...

Either way it could very well be possible that with DLC Sakurai may try to 'finish the job' which could include adding in cut characters such as Toon Zelda...and with Toon Zelda most likely becoming at most a semi-clone of Zelda she'd be somewhat easy to implement...But the thing is Tetra is a more requested and more unique character and, while it may take a bit more creativity for her moveset, would probably be the better candidate over her alter ego...But some things keep me from rating her lower...

----

Want: 20%
I love Zelda, don't get me wrong, probably one of my favourite video game characters behind Link and Samus, but as mentioned in my chance score having three clone characters in one franchise especially one as big as Zelda is a bit much for me, as I think the franchise deserves better than half assed characters...As far as moveset goes Toon Zelda doesn't really have too much to work with since Zelda (in general) doesn't do much in game other than shoot light arrows and a bit of magic (both are already implemented with TP Zelda) so her moveset would be a variation on Zelda. Adding a third version of any character is a bit much as well, but I would rather have Tetra for the simple fact that she could have a more unique pirate based moveset as opposed to another character that is similar to another character, not too mention Tetra by rights is pretty much her own character even though she is an alter ego of Zelda.
But at the same time when it comes to the Zelda series lets actually have a new character that isn't another version of another character, the franchise has so much potential newcomers to choose from; Impa, Midna, Skull Kid, Ghirahim, (even) Tingle...all of these characters are probably the most popular amoung those that aren't already playable in Smash, and would probably be welcomed a lot more than another <insert one of playable Zelda characters here>

Either way...sure...A new Zelda character but I don't want a Zelda character just for the sake of muh reps...gimme Impa or Midna and I'll be happy...

Also one more thing to note, as I've heard of some people say that the 'Toonzeldaverse' is a separate sub series of the Legend of Zelda...It's not...It's still The Legend of Zelda, just in a different coat of paint so to speak, not to mention that these Toonzelda games appear in different parts of the official timeline, making them part of the rest of the franchise...as well as them following the same general formula for a Zelda game...

----

Prediction: 3.4%
Anna
Another Fire Emblem character... listen I know Sakurai likes the series and all, but it's kinda overkill for a possible sixth character to be added, that would make it on par with Pokemon...Even in Fire Emblem there are more popular choices...not to mention (assuming Roy is added as DLC) we do not know if we will get two characters per franchise, and if so I don't think Fire Emblem will be the one to get it...Sakubias or not...

----

Nominations:
Dark Samus x5
Dark Link and Dark Pit are both playable (in a way)...what about Dark Samus? (and no Samus's Dark Samus colours don't count, it's like saying Waluigi is playable because both Mario and Luigi have his colours)

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Toon Zelda
Chance- 11%
Sakurai might end up wanting some easy clones for DLC. And she was probably planned before. And she is relevant (Wind Waker HD, Spirit Tracks, etc.)
That said, I don't think she's getting that much support. And I feel like most clones we will get would be returning vets.
Want- 15%
Because I like Zelda. And seeing a Phantom summon would feel more right.
But I'd rather see Tetra, among other characters.

Anna Predictions- 17%
Nominations:

Crono x5

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I nailed another prediction? Whoa. I guess two out of 48 ain't bad? >_>

Meanwhile, it looks like I'll be way off on this one...

--

Toon Zelda

Chance: 17.5%
And the Forbidden Seven rear their...well, I can't call their heads ugly, but they're certainly controversial. Toon Zelda was mentioned in leftover data in Brawl's code, meaning she was likely considered for the game at some point. As several have mentioned already, it could give her an inside track if she has leftover data, or maybe she could even get worked on before the dev team turns their attention to the Ballot nominees.

That said...things are more complicated than they appear. For one, we don't know how far along the Forbidden Seven got, aside from Mewtwo. If Toon Zelda never even reached the conceptual stage, she wouldn't have a head start at all! Furthermore, the "easy clone" argument falls flat since if Toon Link is any precedent, she'd only be a semi-clone and save hardly any time at all in comparison to a full clone! And since we've seen how...vocal...the fanbase gets in regards to clones they aren't nostalgic about, even a semi-clone would be a more difficult sell than a fully distinct character. With all of that in mind, Toon Zelda wouldn't actually be the wisest of choices, as far as pre-ballot picks go.

While she could still make it through the Smash Ballot, though, she'll run into another problem: all the other Zelda candidates. Between frontrunner Impa, Assist Trophies Midna and Ghirahim, and alter ego (or ancestor, depending on which Toon Zelda you're talking about) Tetra, Toon Zelda's support is pretty minor. While that could change given the right kind of campaign and some other things rallying people around her...it seems that for now, the only Zelda we'll have for now is the one we already have.

Want: 25%
Mildly interested, I guess. I'm pretty iffy on semi-clones, but maybe she could be implemented in a way that made her more viable than standard Zelda (Lack of sweetspot mechanic, maybe?). And if she was fully distinct somehow even though Toon Link isn't? I'd be a little more interested.

As it stands, though, there're still other Zelda characters--and several characters overall--that I'm more interested in.

Anna Prediction: 7.87%
You know how we've had characters voted down because of the whole "only one DLC character per franchise" thing so many are assuming is unquestionably true? Combine that with the famous Roy zealousness and the fact that the Fire Emblem fans themselves seem satisfied overall with the characters already in, and you have a disappointingly low score.

Nominations:
Concept: Alpha-Form Stages x5

I've done all I can. Ready yourselves now...there isn't much time left.

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Princess Alphonse:

Chance: 25%

She was one of the Forbidden 7 and would certainly be easy enough to make, but I feel that more outstanding characters will be put in instead of clones.

Want: 30%

Eh...not really.

Anna predict:

Chance: 15%

Want: 56%

Nom: Moonstruck Blossom x3
Homecoming Hijinx x2

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Noooooooooooooooooooooo, I missed a day. :facepalm:

Sorry, guys. Thanks for accounting for the unupdated noms list in my absence, @ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice . My birthday plans/adventures consumed my day so I was unable to attend to my RTC duties. List is updated now though.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
@ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice
This is a bit off topic but...Something I wanted to bring up...Young Link is coming soon, and was wondering...Young Link could return as he was from melee or he could have an updated moveset based on Majora's Mask, a Young Link that utilizes the masks was something that has been passed around a fair bit and more often than not when people are talking about Young Link, I'm not sure if that day's rating will have one or both considered seeing as people may have different opinions on each version...
What I mean to say is, I think we should either focus on just one iteration (ie. melee clone Young Link) or have a double day focusing on both clone Young Link and Masked Young Link with separate ratings, because as said I feel like people will have different opinions on both...

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
@ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice
This is a bit off topic but...Something I wanted to bring up...Young Link is coming soon, and was wondering...Young Link could return as he was from melee or he could have an updated moveset based on Majora's Mask, a Young Link that utilizes the masks was something that has been passed around a fair bit and more often than not when people are talking about Young Link, I'm not sure if that day's rating will have one or both considered seeing as people may have different opinions on each version...
What I mean to say is, I think we should either focus on just one iteration (ie. melee clone Young Link) or have a double day focusing on both clone Young Link and Masked Young Link with separate ratings, because as said I feel like people will have different opinions on both...

I second the notion of Young Link (Melee) and Masks Young Link as a Double Day. Good idea.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I think (other than what happens with Ryu/Roy), there's 3-4 slots we don't know about. One is probably Wolf. That doesn't leave a lot of room for other characters, so I've been growing increasingly pessimistic in my scores.

Toon Zelda Chances - 1.5% A Zelda character isn't a guarantee, so their combined totals from me aren't great. What does she have to put her in a better position than Tetra (or especially Impa?)
Want - 15% I'd really like a new Zelda character, but I'd also prefer someone who isn't part of the Triforce-bearing trio.

nominate - Medusa x3, Hades x2

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Wow. Toon Zelda is super overrated. :glare:

Toon Zelda chances: 0.55%
We know she was going to be in Brawl if there was more time for the game's development, and as a clone she could probably be easy to implement. This incarnation of Zelda is also pretty well-known, appearing notably for example in that kawaii Japanese ad for the New 3DS over "realistic" Zelda (just like Toon Link appeared over "realistic" Link as well). But she doesn't have much going for her asides from that, and those aren't saying much anyway; I think the negative far outweigh the positive. Lucina and Dark Pit were added as clone newcomers late in Smash 4's development because work was already done for them as alternate costumes but Sakurai eventually judged them more fitting as fully fledged characters. We also know that Toon Link's role is to fill the niche of a child Link, which seems important to have according to Sakurai, but does he consider the same about Zelda? If anything the "Zelda alternate" niche is already filled with Sheik, especially now that both are separate characters, and Toon Zelda was very low priority for Brawl anyway; even if she was still planned for SSB4 for some reason I'm sure she would still be even lower priority than many other Smash 4 scrapped newcomers who I think have a batter chance than her as DLC. Plus the Phantom Slash, which comes from Phantom Hourglass, was given to the already existing Smash Zelda whose design is based on Twilight Princess! This makes Smash Zelda a sort of composite character, which makes the idea of a unique Toon Zelda a pointless long shot, so her being a clone is the only logical thing she could become. But Sakurai also acknowledges that people are usually not fond of clones and I really can't see him taking the risk of introducing a clone newcomer as paid DLC. My chances rating is in all honesty pretty generous and mostly based on the fact she was actually planned for a previous Smash game.

Toon Zelda want: 0%

No seriously, why? Current Smash Zelda is already a composite character with TP design, OoT spells and PH phantoms which pretty much removes any need for another Zelda. A unique moveset for a such character just wouldn't be worth it and neither she is as a character period due to Toon Link already already representing the Toon artstyle in the Zelda universe and Shiek already being an alternate Zelda. I see nothing positive in this character's addition series representation-wise and if I want a Zelda that isn't stuck at the bottom of the tier list I'd much rather buff or redesign (gameplay-wise I mean) the currently existing Zelda. A DLC I definitely wouldn't buy if it actually happened.

Anna prediction: 9.8%
I'm expecting some overrating based on the fact she's one of the few recurring characters in Fire Emblem.

Nominating:
Concept: Battlefield form stages x3
Playable newcomer: Tetrimino x2

I hope the Battlefield form stages concept will be rated before E3, I think it has a decent chance to be confirmed in a Smash update trailer. And the sooner we will rate it, the sooner I can go full force nominating Tetrimino :grin:

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Toon Zelda Chances: 12%

Want: 3%
There are other Zelda characters that I would prefer over Toon Zelda. I don't think she's vital for Smash Bros DLC.

Anna Prediction: 12.42%
Many people will bring up that Fire Emblem has gotten lots of love this time. I know this is preemptive, but I will say this. As much as I love Fire Emblem - once I get my Boy Roy:roypm: back, that's all I can ask for from the FE series for Smash 4.

Nominations: Yu Narukami X3
Rerate: Inklings (If possible) X2

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Toon Zelda

Forbidden Seven, StreetPass Puzzle Pieces, Wind Waker HD, might be easy clone.

Toon Zelda is the first character I wanted.

Takamaru x5

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Most aren't even 100% sure about whether that was supposed to be Toon Sheik or Tetra. It could have been either one of the two.
Considering almost every character file is referred to their actual names (Japanese mostly) I think it's pretty safe to say that the Toon Sheik file really meant "Toon Sheik" (In other words. A Wind Waker version of Sheik), Tetra was most likely never planned. Considered maybe, but not planned.

Well I thought about waiting to rate her until after the direct but since we didn't get a tweet from Sakurai (Which we apparently always get whenever there is something new smash related to reveal from him) I guess I might as well rate her now.

Well, Toon Zelda......

Well as has been stated, she was planned for Brawl alongside Dr.Mario, Mewtwo, Roy, Dixie Kong, Toon Sheik and Pra_Mai.

Two of those characters have been revived and one of them is supposedly on his way.
Crossing out Toon Sheik (due to no transformations) and Pra_Mai (even if they where Plusle and Minun which I doubt. If they where to work like the Ice Climbers then I wouldn't see them getting revived until the Ice Climbers themselves show up).

Which only leaves Toon Zelda and Dixie Kong as viable candidates as DLC. I don't feel they have as much of a shot going for them as post ballot DLC I think I should get that out of the way first since they have got some pretty stiff competition in their way. However, when it comes to pre ballot DLC. I think they stand a good shot.

Sakurai has a pretty good track record of reviving characters and content he wished to include in previous installments (Examples like these are characters like Bowser, Mewtwo, King Dedede and Lucas etc. As well as other features like the Final Smash, 8-Player Smash, Kirby's updated side special and battle damage) which where all things that he personally stated to wanting to include but couldn't for one reason or another or where simply found when dataminers where going through the games code.

Toon Zelda and Dixie Kong have also seen quite a bit of activity between Brawl and Smash 4 too in both games and various advertisements so it's not like either dropped off the face of the earth. Toon Zelda has also seen quite a bit of advertisement and merchandise alongside Toon Link, especially in Japan which I've heard that she's actually a pretty popular character there, apparently even more than Tetra if Chronobound's findings where anything to go by.....

Also one of the reasons why Sakurai always keeps a child Link within the Super smash Bros series is because he felt that it was very important to have one, after all. The vast majority of Zelda games featured a child Link. And if he goes by that logic than surely the same should apply for the child Zelda too. Which was probably why he wished to include her into Brawl and why he could potentially wish to finally do so for DLC. As for pre-ballot DLC I personally think that he will be mainly focusing on bringing in content that he wanted to include but couldn't due to time constraints, while saving post ballot DLC for the ones the fans want.

Bring that in as well with the fact that she's a pretty easy character to include and that he wants to include as many characters as possible whilst working with a smaller team. She would most likely be a semi-clone but honestly, I'd more or less expect every potential clone character DLC to be at the very least about as unique as Toon Link, Falco and Ganondorf anyway so that's fine by me.

So with that said, I'll give her a solid 45% chance.
Since it can go eitherway for her at this point. Pre ballot I think she has a good shot, post ballot not as much, but if Sakurai wishes to include any semi-clones then she's good to go really.

Want is 100%
Either her or Tetra or both would make me a very happy Wind Waker fan. c:

Anna: 8%

Nominations: Mallo x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Chances : 24%

Like 100 people before me said, Forbidden fighter way back in good ol' Brawl. Gives her a fair chance, along with the fanbase she has for SSB4 inclusion.

Want : No, thank you. Save the slot for a unique fighter please.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Toon Zelda

Chance: 30%. Probably has the best chance out of all the remaining Zelda cast, and was a forbidden fighter in Brawl.

Want: 20-40%. Played Wind Waker, and if they can make her completely unique, swell. If not, I'd prefer semi-clone at worst, like around Toon Link level at worst.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Character Chance Ratings

1: Ryu - 97.7%
1: Roy - 97.7%
2: Wolf - 97.5%
3: Professor Layton - 90%

4: Rayman - 60%
5: Snake - 55%
6: Inkling - 50%
7: Sceptile - 45%
7: Krystal - 45%
8: Paper Mario: 44.5%

9: Dixie Kong - 43%
10: Wonder Red - 40%
11: Impa - 40.5%
12: Simon Belmont - 35%
13: Cross - 35.7%

14: Elma - 35.3%
15: Ice Climbers - 30%
15: Captain Toad - 30%
16: Toon Zelda - 29.3%

17: Chorus Kids - 27.5%
18: Magolor - 25%
19: Henry Fleming - 25.7%
20: Spyro - 25.3%
21: Ivysaur - 23.7%
22: Squirtle - 22.5%
23: Quote - 21.5%
24: Phoenix Wright - 20%
24: Shovel Knight - 20%
25: Shantae - 20.5%
26: Tetra - 20.3%

27: 9-Volt - 10%
27: Midna & Wolf Link - 10%
28: Lip - 10.5%
29: Geno - 7%
30: KOS-MOS - 5%
30: Ray - 5%
30: Pichu - 5%
31: Daisy - 5.7%
32: Ridley - 5.5%
33: Monita - 3%

-: Anna - ?.?%

Character Want Ratings

1: Professor Layton - 100%
1: Shovel Knight - 100%
1: Wolf - 100%
2: Simon Belmont - 90.5%
2: Sceptile - 90.5%
3: Shantae - 87%
4: Wonder Red - 86.5%

5: Snake - 85%
5: Impa - 85%
6: Magolor - 85.5%

7: Ice Climbers - 80%
8: Chorus Kids - 80.5%
9: Ryu - 60%
9: Paper Mario: 60%
10: Midna & Wolf Link - 60.5%
11: Phoenix Wright - 55%
12: Ridley - 50%
13: Inkling - 30%
14: Henry Fleming - 30.5%

15: Rayman - 25%
15: Cross - 25.7%

16: Elma - 23%
16: Quote - 23%
17: Krystal - 20%
17: Dixie Kong - 20%
18: Toon Zelda - 20%
19: Tetra - 20.5%

20: Squirtle - 10.7%
20: Ivysaur - 10.7%
21: Geno - 10.5%
21: Roy - 10.5%
22: Spyro - 7%
23: Lip - 5.7%

24: Captain Toad - 5.5%
25: Ray - 4.5%
26: KOS-MOS - 3%

27: 9-Volt - 3.5%
28: Monita - 1%
28: Pichu - 1%
28: Daisy - 1%

-: Anna - ?.?%

Concept Chance Ratings
1: DLC Characters Receive Custom Moves - 90.5%
2: DLC Alternate Costumes - 85%
3: Any NPC Becomes Playable - 65.7%
4: DLC Music Packs - 50.5%
5: Rhythm Heaven Character - 45%

Concept Want Ratings
1: DLC Characters Receive Custom Moves - 100%
1: DLC Alternate Costumes - 100%
2: DLC Music Packs - 65%
3: Any NPC Becomes Playable - 50.5%
4: Rhythm Heaven Character - 40.3%

Abstains (Inactivity)

King K. Rool
Banjo-Kazooie
Isaac
Bandana Dee

Mach Rider

Abtsains (Indifference)

Ninten

RATINGS

Toon Zelda

Chance - 29.3%: Toon Zelda has a bit of a funny case consisting off from the Brawl dev cycle. Her namesake franchise is long overdue for a newcomer, when just about all of them are conflicted with the main Triforce trio and the obligatory child Link here to stay. Naturally, this will make any Legend of Zelda newcomer have a rough time breaking out through the Ballot. Let's see what this cel-shaded incarnation of our familiar princess has an edge over.

Any Smasher well-versed enough with the speculation culture and dev history will recognize her name as one of the Forbidden Seven. Allegedly, she was supposed to transform between either Tetra or *gulp* Toon Shiek. For whatever reason, she was cut at some point and is generally agreed to be left in the dust of scrapped concepts. Asserting this, Sakurai surely remembers how she was conceptualize, and like any good creator, he can surely reuse and remix these elements however he pleases.

However, its easy to assert that Forbidden Seven status is null when it comes to value. If Sakurai cared so much about them, he would've made sure they were all reimbursed their data in the initial game. With that logic, you might as well get the scrapped Melee retros, Mew, Meowth, Banjo-Kazooie, & James Bond (:glare:) in their too. Dr. Mario and Mewtwo (with a possibility of Roy) were lumped into this group, and you could see that there were other factors fans paraded them for and that were determined in Smash 4's development that make their case for their inclusion. Not filling some arbitrary roster count.

But what does Toon Zelda have in terms of recognition? Well, there's about 3 other stylizations of Zelda, counting the Wind Waker-style one. Wind Waker is a pretty popular game too, so it won't alienate especially after Toon Link. She's easily the most visually-distinct of them all. We've seen she still has some prominence with the Kyary Pamyu Pamyu 3DS commercial & the Nintendo Starlets Puzzle Swap panel.

Want - 20%: At best, she could be a completely fresh spin on Zelda's moveset, showcasing the many abilities of her Toon incarnations. At worst, she could be a straight-up Zelda clone, especially lacking a transformation with tight DLC character space. I can see her being convenient as a Zelda semi-clone with more nuance to her moves and hopefully an original special or two.

She does get a bit higher of a score than for most characters of her ilk, but I'd rather avoid her as much as possible. Legend of Zelda is long overdue for a true newcomer, and I'm sure people would want a character who delineates from the Triforce trio than bounds it into more redundant forms.

PREDICTION

Anna-banana

Chance - 23.145%

Want - 35.137%

You shall shine in all your glory tomorrow, mon cheri. You stood by my side to the ends of Pleiga and you'll always have some hefty heartspace in me. <3

NOMINATIONS

*Concept: No DLC Characters After Fighter Ballot x3
*Concept: Smash 5 has 10 Year Wait Cycle x2

*Concept: (Shin) Megami Tensei Character (includes Persona & Devil Survivor) x1

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
So a Chibi-Robo amiibo has been revealed in the Japan-only Direct. The Chibi-Robo day is coincidentally close to happening... I wonder if it will have a strong impact on the chances score. I guess it kind of increases his chances because MUH RELEVANCE RECENCY!!!!1!1!! it may convince Sakurai that Chibi-Robo! is stronger and more Smash-worthy than the average unrepresented series. Though I wonder if this amiibo will actually remain exclusive to Japan...

@ PK_Wonder PK_Wonder just asking for a confirmation of the E3 week schedule; here's what I'm suggesting/expecting based on what you suggested earlier:

June 12th: rating whoever reaches the top of the nomination list; no predictions this day (but nominations allowed).
June 13th: votes for most overrated, most underrated, and most accurately rated character; no nominations until the 18th.
June 14th: most hyping and deflating Smash 4 related moment, pre- or post-release.
June 15th: general E3 discussion and speculation day. We're not rating anything, just discussing.
June 16th: cooldown day.
June 17th: satisfaction rating for the Digital event and each character revealed.
June 18th: rerate for the most overrated and underrated character; predictions for whoever is at the top of the nomination list. Nominations are allowed again, and everyone gets 15 extra nominations this day as you suggested.
Unless both the most overrated and underrated are revealed at E3 lol, in this case return to normal except that everyone gets 15 extra noms.
June 19th and beyond: return to normal.

I think a most hyping and deflating thing should be done, it has been done in the original RTC for the April Direct, E3 2014, and the July character reveal, and there would be the possibility to include post-release things as well (Mewtwo reveal, Lucas reveal, ballot reveal, amiibo shortage...). You originally suggested a satisfaction rating for June 16th then a cooldown day for the 17th, but don't you think those should be reversed instead? I think it would be better to get fully hyped for the Digital Event day and wait one day of cooldown or hindsight for a more accurate rating, isn't it? Anyway, thanks for your feedback ;)

@JackerX so it's a 0% (or 1-5%) want rating I guess?

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Toon Zelda Chance: 20%
Pros
  • Could be used to represent a "Child Zelda" niche similar to how Sakurai used Toon Link to fill the "Child Link" niche, which are both aspects that appears in loads of LoZ games
  • Cel-shaded child Zeldas appears in pretty much every single Toon-style Zelda game, so she has notability in that regard
  • Major roles in post-Brawl games (Spirit Tracks and WW HD) increasing the likelyhood of Sakurai revisiting the idea of toon Zelda in Smash
  • Zelda uses Phantoms in her moveset, something that Toon Zelda originally used. Maybe she had it due to the possibility of making the idea of Toon Zelda as a semi-clone more fitting and convenient?
  • Still has some form of promotion to this very day due to being one of the Nintendo starlets in that Street Pass Puzzle even though there was already a Zelda as part of the Nintendo Starlets. Also, she was one of the characters featured in that New 3DS advert (even despite no Toon-style games being on the 3DS and the fact they could have used the Link and Zelda from A Link Between Worlds as they would have been more relevant to a 3DS advert)
  • Being a potential semi-clone character is both this and a con, funnily enough. It is a pro because she fits well as an easy to implement character whilst at least having a different style of gameplay to Zelda being as different as Toon Link is from Link.
  • Most importantly of all, she was planned for Brawl. Every other pro listed before hand in of itself may not seem much, but when combined with this fact, you truly do get a fairly impressive list of pros for someone who many would easily dismissed as a joke were it not for her being part of the Forbidden 7
Cons
  • Not exactly a major fan-favourite among the Smash Bros fanbase. Considering DLC is primarily aimed towards the core dedicated fanbase of any franchise and that consequently she isn't
  • People hate clones and semi-clones aren't exactly controversy free so her being an easy-to-implement semi-clone would also be a con for this reason.
If DLC packs are to be a thing and if Sakurai wants to use semi-clone characters to add to said packs as easily as possible whilst still providing derivative character that are far more distinct moveset and gameplay-wise than Lucina and Dark Pit, I could see her being a candidate. In conclusion, whilst I don't think she is that likely, I still think she is one of the most likeliest semi-clone candidates, hence 20% ( I still think Dixie Kong is more likely as I like to think of her and Toon Zelda as having surprisingly a lot in common, except she is actually a guaranteed sell due to actually being a fan-favourite and that she isn't called Girl Diddy with Blond Hair!:troll:)

(Although, ultimately, her chance depends partially on whether she is pre-ballot or not).

Want:50%-I could live with Toon Zelda. I could live without her.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Yeah i don't really want her. Don't kill me for this, but i never done a full playthrough of Wind Waker. So i don't have alot to run on.
Yeah but that's not exactly the answer I'm looking for it's mostly for an accurate number for the want score as I like tracking how the chances and want scores are evolving during the duration of the day.

D

Deleted member

Yeah but that's not exactly the answer I'm looking for it's mostly for an accurate number for the want score as I like tracking how the chances and want scores are evolving during the duration of the day.
0. Just take 0.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Toon Zelda Chance:
20%
(I think) this is the same rating I gave to Tetra before, not much to say that I didn't say to Tetra other than she's been planned in Brawl before and that he could be a somewhat easy semi-clone to make from Zelda. The Phantom raises a bit of an eye-brow for me, since that's a move that only Toon Zelda could use in the Zelda games, notably Spirit Tracks. Though that move could've been added for the sake of giving her a new move when transformations were removed. And her recent release of Wind Waker HD could give her the edge over some candidates, though maybe not over MM3D since that's been a highly anticipated title that could be promoted with Young Link.

Her chances are pretty good for the most part, can't really say much since I covered most about her with Tetra.

Toon Zelda Want:
2%
Don't really want Sakurai to revisit this idea, probably the 2nd least likable newcomer before Impa for me personally.

Anna Prediction:
5.66%
The more time I have with my Young Link analysis, the better, also Anna. <3 I have something big planned for him.

Nominations:
x5 Jibanyan

Last edited:
Toon Zelda

Now this is an interesting character. . .
chance 25%
Forbidden 7 yadda yadda.
Moderately popular and at least considered. To my knowledge WW hd did well. She also managed to wind up in that one New 3ds commercial (the one with "hipster bowser") so at least Nintendo moderately cares.
the doubt comes from likely not being unique and, while not hated, isnt super popular.

I legitimately wonder who is more popular. Impa or toon zelda. Impa seems more popular here but ive seen toon zelda much more since all of her popularity dropped from being a fad and zelda definitely has the "casual" vote. . .

want 75%
I dont really care for the zelda franchise with the exception of Windwaker, phantomn hourglass and aLBW and Hyrule warriors. Everything else I really dont care for. that includes OoT. I would definitely be ok with toon zelda or tetra.

prediction 5.5555%

noms Viridi 4
nintendoland stage

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So, since Tetra and Toon Zelda are, for all intents and puposes, the same...

Tetra:

Another Zelda character who might have a bit of a shot. She and Impa are really the only ones who may be able to get in, but frankly the Zelda series is reasonably interchangeable after the big three. Personally, I'd prefer someone else.
She does have a decent fanbase, and she's managed to appear in more than one game, so she does have that going for her. On the negative, we really haven't seen Tetra do anything in the games but be a snarky *****. When she wants to actually do anything, she puts the dress on and becomes Toon Zelda - which Japan seems to like, remember Toon Zelda was in the new 3DS faceplate commercial?
Her initial game was recently remade (but then again, so was Majora's Mask...), but a remake is not as impressive as a brand new game. I think there are just too many other Zelda characters who are liked even more. Granted, they're mostly Assists this round...​

One thing that the SSB fanbase has made abundantly clear, however, is that we generally dislike clones. Notice that Sakurai had to put out a statement calling us all spoiled brats since we didn't like him adding in his golden child as opposed to giving Link a unique crowd chant or giving Ganondorf his own victory theme. That may start to make Toon Zelda a bit unappealing in the minds of the developers, especially since Toon Zelda (PH type) is actually referenced in current Zelda's moveset now, so what more could they do to differentiate the two? Besides changing hitboxes, of course.

But especially in Japan, the Toon versions are going strong...I guess chibi-ness and kawaii work better, since the more realistic Zelda games are acclaimed here, but not really well done in Smash. I think the only franchise that is more lazily clone-ful is StarFox (big surprise, also much bigger in the West...)
Want: 0%
I used to be a huge Zelda fan, but I feel like they're doing everything possible to make me hate it. I had to force myself through Wind Waker. I'd stopped the original halfway through since it was so bad, and the remake made it tolerable by minimizing my dealings with Tingle. There was just nothing I liked about that game. I like the more gritty, realistic Zelda games (with a left-handed Link, but they're taking that away from me now too...).
I also don't like having multiple versions of the same character in the game. Toon Link is on the order of Dark Pit for me, since they're not even trying to make him a unique character. I preferred Zelda/Sheik as transformations, and Dr. Mario should have stayed an alt with the pills as custom specials. So a third Zelda, even if they are different? Next!
I also would prefer several characters in the series over her anyway.​
So for some bizarre reason, the other highly begged-for Zelda characters were made into assists this round - hopefully Midna or Debbie can get promoted out of that since they actually ARE unique characters with personalities. I'd take either or both over anyone else the Zelda franchise can throw up, since the biggest names now are just semi-clone possibilities (Young Link:4link::4tlink:, Toon Zelda :4zelda:, Impa/Tetra:4sheik:). Unfortunately, they're also both one-shots, even though their designs are a little more Japan-friendly than the grittyness of the rest of the Twilight Princess style (but then again, I'm still a bit surprised that Japan let the likes of Ganondorf or Ike through this round).

And I can also say that neither Tetra nor Toon Zelda made it to Hyrule Warriors, but Midna and Ghirahim both did, and were both rather unique and amazing. Pity that game didn't come out sooner to influence Ganondorf to further get away from Cap. Or at least to give him that glorious mane...

Therefore, I do now want her at all. I feel we're not getting a lot of DLC, and even if we were, we're probably not getting more than one Zelda character. So no, not her.
Anna: 7.4%
Nom: Stage Packs x5

Top Bottom