• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You're likely misinterpreting the quote, it's too vague to tell us whether or not he wants to satisfy with popular newcomers. Don't be surprised if Sakurai pulled off a surprise newcomer again, don't stick with the popular mindset.

Last edited:

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Ok, but there are facts that show she doesn't have no benefits to inclusion.
I'm guessing that being out of field was the reason, but you should think about it a little more, just my suggestion.

Though it does seem like something Nintendo would definitely do, after all these are Sakurai's choices, and they can range from popular to unpopular choices, so it's a wise decision to put them in a pair to make them sell.
No, it is extremely unwise to put them in a pack to force their sales. If people don't want want Monita, they don't want Monita. They would not be happy if they had to buy Monita to get a character that they do want, instead of having the ability to just buy the character they want.

I guarantee if Monita got in, AT LEAST 70% of her sales would come from people that solely want a complete roster, not people that actually want her.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Monita:

Support Thread inside:
http://smashboards.com/threads/a-nintendo-out-land-ish-choice-monita-for-smash-moveset-inside.332118/

Chance: 30%
We do know several facts that make the robot a capable candidate:
- The main star of Nintendo Land
- Nintendo Land sold over 3 million units world wide
- Nintendo Land is bundled with Wii U when first launched overseas
- can integrate various attractions and props as fighting theme

However, other popular contenders take the spot for DLC, so more characters like Monita will have their chances in Smash Bros 5.

Want: 100%

Ever since I played Nintendo Land a few times, I am impressed with the interpretation of Nintendo icons themed in colorful, animatronic-like aesthetics. When I delved deep into the smash boards, I strongly believed Monita as a viable fighter even when just a trophy is enough (SSB4 Wii U)

Prediction:

Mach Rider: 6%

Nomination: Medusa x 5

D

Deleted member

Monita

Well here we go. Perhaps the wildest Character idea i've seen here.

Monita in her own "series" is a helper. A tip-giver for noobs to Nintendo Land. She also has ONE arm, unless the character is given some overpowered weapons that can be used with one hand... hmph.

Chances : 5%

Chances are 5%, rather than Abstain. The character has a fanbase with her.

Want : Nope

If she's lucky, she can make a cool Assist Trophy character of some sorts.

I think a Nintendo Land level is the ONLY way the game can get represented : a cool tour-styled stage where a platform stops at various attractions, and the Miis you meet are from your Wii U system, or randomly generated.

Edit : Okay, ima take a shot at this whole prediction thing. Mach Rider? 42%+.

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
No, it is extremely unwise to put them in a pack to force their sales. If people don't want want Monita, they don't want Monita. They would not be happy if they had to buy Monita to get a character that they do want, instead of having the ability to just buy the character they want.

I guarantee if Monita got in, AT LEAST 70% of her sales would come from people that solely want a complete roster, not people that actually want her.
If they don't want her, then just don't buy the pack that comes with her and buy the character that's highly requested solely.
This is still irrelevant to her chances.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Monita

Chance: 20%
If they wish to represent one of Wii U's best selling games she's the only choice since the Miis are already taken, but Wii U era characters are better saved for 5mash in my opinion. Doubting she doesn't have a chance to appear in a future Smash game? :4wiifit:. Besides, there aren't too many characters to represent the Wii U era (only Inklings, Wonder Red, Elma and Monita come to mind) and Sakurai has defended the inclusion of both WFT and DHD by mentioning their sales, with Nintendo Land being one of the best selling Wii U games (though it doesn't even compare to what Wii Fit and Duck Hunt managed).

Want: 70%
She seems like she'll be the next WFT, and I've warmed up to the idea.

Nominations:
Tingle x5

@ PK_Wonder PK_Wonder I think you forgot to add Sari's nominations of yesterday of Patricia Wagon

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Shokio: "Next up we have Monita. Y'all, MONITA! The flying monitor ***** from Nintendo Land! ***** are you serious?"

Monita

Chance: 18%

Here she is, the "star" of what is arguably the best selling Wii U game in history with her colorful Nintendo theme park and nalgic animatronics. She's a modern face that some fans and casuals are familiar with due to how recognizable that game is. In fact, look me in the eye tell me that Nintendo Land was the main reason why people had pressured Nintendo into working with Universal on their own attractions in the parks. There are plenty of ways in which she can work by using several of the abilities from the mini games or even summon the animatronic enemies to fight.

The things she does have against her inclusion are lack of support and her overall reception. While we all know that Sakurai can be the bias individual to choose whatever character he wants, that's sadly not gong to be the case with the ballot since it reflects who are the most wanted choices for DLC. Unless official DLC packs are confirmed, then I'm not going to bother changing my stance on it. Then there's the reception and boy do I see someone's jimmies being rustled after I say this. The character herself had been deemed either too boring or flat out annoying by critics and fans alike. Maybe it's because her tutorials are too drawn out or her robotic monotone easily puts Fi's to shame. Again, hatedom doesn't stop a character from being playable when we have the most hated Nintendo character in history as a fighter.

And yes, this is the Angry Video Game Nerd threatening to kill the dog just like many of the other fans who were irritated by that smug *****'s laugh in Duck Hunt. It wasn't until Sakurai redesigning that dog and making him more likable when people started hate him less in comparison to dark ages. But the only exception I can name is a certain green manchild since he's loathed by the audience that even purchase the Zelda franchise the most and that's reason why you rarely saw him in any Zelda title until Hyrule Warriors happened. Kooloh Limpah's aside, she can easily be a mixed bag among the fans despite her merits.

Want: 80%

Loved the game and was one of the few people who liked it from the beginning unlike the many other users on this site that were salty about the lack of hardcore Wii U titles in the past. One of the few games that i can enjoy casually with my family and del nostalgic due to it's colorful atmosphere. While I don't necessarily hate the character herself, I would want her just for the sake of giving the series more love in Smash. And here's one more thing I'd like to say before leaving.

Monita > Party Phil > Nikki > any Streetpass exclusive "original character" (Do not steal) > Reckless Wii Safety Man > Bigley.

Now you may have your jimmies rustled for the night if you care about these guys more than the flying monitor of cheer and dreams. :troll:

Prediction: Mach Rider - 9%

Nomination: Takamaru x5 #SlashtheVote

Serell

Smash Apprentice
If they don't want her, then just don't buy the pack that comes with her and buy the character that's highly requested solely.
This is still irrelevant to her chances.
Then why are you saying putting her in a pack would increase her sales? No one would buy the pack. The only way to get people to buy Monita would be to have her bundled with a highly requested character and to have no other option of buying them separately.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Monita:

Chance: 25%
I've seen the support, whether they're joking or not, the support is there. I've also seen arguments that make me think there's a possibility that she'd make it in.

Want: 2%
Just an emotionless tutorial robot as far as I'm concerned. Still don't know how she got so much support.

Prediction: Mach Rider:
Chance: 50%
Want: 50%

Nomination: Sora x5
So, I need to know. How are these nominations being chosen? Is there a waiting list or are these characters truly being chose by whoever has the most votes?

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

Monita > Party Phil > Nikki > any Streetpass exclusive "original character" (Do not steal) > Reckless Wii Safety Man > Bigley.
That is SO wrong on so many levels...(ತ ൧͑ ತ)
Reckless Wii Safety Man > Monita > Party Phil > Nikki > any Streetpass exclusive "original character" (Do not steal) > Bigley.
That's better. :troll:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
You're likely misinterpreting the quote, it's too vague to tell us whether or not he wants to satisfy with popular newcomers. Don't be surprised if Sakurai pulled off a surprise newcomer again, don't stick with the popular mindset.
Highly requested popular characters will make more people happy...so what's vague about it?
If the leaks are anything to go by, Ryu would've been that 'surprise' newcomer...Monita falls flat in comparison to him when it comes to overall popularity and his legendary status in the gaming industry...
The only reason Ryu isn't highly requested was because of the assumption that Sakurai didn't want characters from another fighting game...

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
So, I need to know. How are these nominations being chosen? Is there a waiting list or are these characters truly being chose by whoever has the most votes?
It is the latter, they just get locked in a day in advance. Just check my list in the second post on page 1. Whoever has the most lifetime nominations by the end of a day is announced as the character for the upcoming day. For example, Mach Rider had the most total noms when today began, so we will be rating him tomorrow. If Toon Zelda still has the most noms at the end of today, we will rate her the day after Mach Rider. Make sense? :)

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Monita chances: 3.5%
Remember when I shown my skepticism about getting a Rhythm Heaven character because it would have made more sense as an initial roster thing rather than DLC? Well, Monita is like, thousand times that. I admit she has some merit to be included considering Nintendo Land is one of the best-selling Wii U games and the one that promotes the Gamepad the most, plus she could represent a part of the inspiration of the upcoming real life Nintendo-themed amusement park. On the other hand, the nature of the character makes her a very weird WFT-like choice for DLC who would very possibly end up to not be very popular, and while Nintendo Land sold a lot for Wii U's standards... it's honestly nothing too special for Nintendo's history as a whole considering the Wii U's poor sales compared to every other Nintendo console, which are probably going to be the lowest at the end of its lifespan. Nintendo Land isn't really in the same league as other comparable games like Duck Hunt, Wii Sports of Wii Fit which all outsold the Wii U by themselves. (At least the Wii U isn't failing as hard as the Virtual Boy...)

Monita want: 0.16%
I'm not interested and I would be disappointed if she got in over many other character choices. Maybe in SSB5's initial roster if the real life Nintendo amusement park becomes a thing and part of her legacy, but as SSB4 DLC... eh, no thanks. My quote from my 9-Volt rating also applies here, as she could have a moveset based on Nintendo Land minigames, which would mean her moveset would be saturated with Nintendo references as a whole which seems redundant in a giant Nintendo crossover game considering the nature of the minigames.
Guess she's still a better choice than a Roller Coaster Tycoon park visitor...

Mach Rider prediction: 11.32%
A "retro" game with quite some legacy, though not really in the same league as Game & Watch or Duck Hunt... but I overall have some skepticism about a "retro" character like that being seen as a strong possibility for DLC.

Nominating:
Concept: Battlefield form stages x3
Playable newcomer: Tetrimino x2

The only reason Ryu isn't highly requested was because of the assumption that Sakurai didn't want characters from another fighting game...
And also the fact we didn't think more than one third-party character per company was an actual possibility... though I guess it's more of a corruption of said rule but with "series" instead of "company" which I think makes more sense. And still, maybe this "one per third-party series" rule may be broken in the future...

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
This is the most generous group of Rate Their Chances voters ever. :smirk:

Monita Chances - 1.25% Be as memorable as R.O.B. was for the NES (and have a sequel called "Nintendo World" and a meta-real role at the REAL Nintendo theme park, and then we'll talk). This isn't to undermine Nintendo Land as a game at all. It's an amazing introduction to the Wii U. but Monita has neither the support (it's barely a blip) nor the longevity to get in as the token Wii U rep.
Want - 0% (but 100% for a Nintendo Land stage - WHY was this not included to begin with?)

predict 16%

nominate Hades x5

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
It is the latter, they just get locked in a day in advance. Just check my list in the second post on page 1. Whoever has the most lifetime nominations by the end of a day is announced as the character for the upcoming day. For example, Mach Rider had the most total noms when today began, so we will be rating him tomorrow. If Toon Zelda still has the most noms at the end of today, we will rate her the day after Mach Rider. Make sense? :)
Yeah, alright thanks. :)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This is the most generous group of Rate Their Chances voters ever.
Tell me about it. Where's all this Monita love suddenly come from? Is she the new Stork?

Monita
Chance: 1%
Alright hear me out; Monita is the perfect WTF character for the next Smash on the next console. Traditionally Smash newcomers have been based off of the last console's stars (once we got past the initial 'required' characters) and the odd retro representative.

However, the Smash DLC ballot has come to shake things up. The stars of the Wii U are getting voted for: The Inklings are already popular despite today being their release date, Captain Toad has a sizable fan base, Wonder Red likewise has a vocal fanbase and characters like Impa who got a huge boost from Hyrule Warriors are also getting the requests.

Monita is not getting the requests. She may get the odd request, but it's worth noting that DLC is made to sell. If Monita isn't popular she's a terrible choice for DLC as she won't sell as well as many others would.

I like Nintendoland a lot, but like Rhythm Heaven, I feel it'd be a better as a stage than a character...particularly if the character is Monita.

I consider myself a person with a high tolerance to so called 'annoying' characters; Toad's voice doesn't grate on me at all, Tingle to me is amusing, I find Slippy screwing up oddly endearing...but Monita broke me.

That monotone voice as she explains in lengthy detail how every single feature of Nintendoland worked with all the emotional attachment of someone checking their phone whilst asking how your day was and barely covering their contempt for you.

That soulless dead eye expression as she floated around like a more visible Navi forcing you to listen to those lengthy monotone tutorials before playing any game, essentially forcing you to "Hey, Listen!" without actually saying those exact words.

The fact she tries to kill you repeatedly in the Pikmin game like a child friendly version of GLaDOS.

She's creepy man. 2% is only so you can break her screen. Other than that I'd rather keep her the hell away from Smash.

Mach Rider Prediction: 10%

Nominations:
Vaati X 5

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Uh, isn't Nikki literally a Mii? I digress.

Iggy's Girlfriend:

Chance: 1%

Uh, this came out of nowhere. I feel that pulling moves from Nintendo Land attractions would not be a Sakurai thing to do, as he would probably designate each element into its own character, not helping that most of these characters are already in the game. (A stage on the other ha and...)

Want: 10%

I would rather MANY other characters get in than Monita. Not helping that when I looked her up the literally second thing shown on Google was R34 -_- Even still, I don't think she would make an interesting playable character.

Mach Rider predict:

Want: 56%

Nom: Homecoming Hijinx x2

Moonstruck Blossom x3

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
MONITA:
CHANCE: 1%
WANT: 0%

Sorry being harsh with the ratings, but that's exactly how I feel about the character. An extremely outLANDish (heh) choice for DLC indeed, as the thread title itself says. And I don't want her either.

MACH RIDER: 8%

ASHLEY X 5

:231:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The new smug hunt dog.
Chance: 10%

"The Ballot. Monita has little votes. She is. Impossible."

I get it, the ballot is a new thing and we're all going crazy about rigged polls (because no King K. Rool) and other Reddit stuff. The new perception is only popular characters get in and all retros, Wii Fit Trainers and other slightly out of left field stuff will never be in. Because of the ballot

But this is not the case.

Ballots like these have been done for Brawl and Melee too, and look at what happened there.
While the likes of Wario, Sonic and Diddy were in Brawl, the same goes for R.O.B, Pit and Pokémon Trainer.

Of course, the DLC might be geared a bit more towards popular characters, but there's still room for Monita.

And before you bring up "only six slots pre-ballot", that's bullcrêpe.

It's entirely possible there's no "pre-ballot" and "ballot". The ballot is a suggestion box and I don't think that when October hits, everything changes to a "Obvious Choice-Paradise"

Okay, with that out of the way, let's explain Nintendo Land.

"She is too. new for Smash"

If this was a Brawl-like situation, Monita would've been too new.

In Brawl, only the previous gen was covered instead of the then current one.

In Smash 4 however (and especially its DLC) the focus seems to be shifting more and more to the WiiU gen, with New Super Mario Bros U (which had the same release date as Nintendo Land) and even Yoshi's Wooly World having stages.

Robin, Lucina, Palutena, Greninja and Dark Pit all hail from the 3DS. They weren't too new!

"Monita only appeared. in one game"

Monita appeared in Nintendo Land.
This game was bundled with the Wii U and
sold over 3 million.

Almost everybody who owns a Wii U knows her! (And hates her)

"Monita was just. the park guide"

And the director, judging her having her face plastered on the Nintendo Land Tower (The central HUB that also appears on the box-art) and her explaining every single minigame.

"So. Monita is. A robot. What can she do"

Monita can use all kinds of props from Nintendo Land.

But unlike Mr. Game and Watch or Villager, she doesn't use them directly, no.

The props would attack for her, making Monita the first summoner that's brought to Smash.

While Monita summons props that attack, Monita would be able to move during the attack, summoning another prop.

The moveset in the Monita thread has not a single move that uses Monita herself.
Instead she summons props from Nintendo Land that attack. Monita can even move while props are attacking.

But while Monita has the reasons to appear as the new shock character, these reasons don't force her in the game.
Sakurai has many characters to choose from and that's where Monita will probably sit this DLC out.

Want: 100%

Because the Yoshi Carts deserve to taste a meal with salt.

Takamaru x5 #SlashtheVote

Last edited:

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Monita:

Chance: Negligible
She, unlike all the characters we've had this far (even the cut veterans and most of the characters we've rated this far), doesn't have a body. And only summoning props would be too cheap for a moveset (finishing even Classic on 9,0 difficulty in, what, three seconds?). ... And before you bring the "all of the newer newcomers hail from the 3DS" argument, let me remind you that the only things we've gotten from the Wii U this far were stages and OSTs, both two being quite secondary when compared to characters.

I. REALLY. DON'T. NEED. ANOTHER. ROB!

Mach Rider Prediction: Somewhere near 7

Nominations: ( :roymelee:/:roypm: is already leaked by sound files) (:172:/:pichumelee: and Daisy had their own days, and don't know if either of them is available for a re-rate)
Viridi (Kid Icarus: Uprising) (Playable newcomer) (My favorite Kid Icarus character)
Prince Fluff (:4kirby:/:kirby2:/:kirbymelee:/:kirby64: Epic Yarn) (Playable newcomer) (My favorite :kirby64:/:kirbymelee:/:kirby2:/:4kirby: character)
Emolga (Pokemon Black/White) (Playable newcomer) (One of my favorite pokemons... Plus, I needed someone to counter :4greninja:'s appearance, by having someone else from another recent generation)
:snake: (Metal Gear Solid) (Returning veteran) (My Brawl main, re-ratable, I missed his day)
King Boo (:4luigi:/:luigi2:/:luigimelee:/:luigi64:'s Mansion and many :4mario:/:mario2:/:mariomelee:/:mario64: spin-offs) (playable newcomer or stage boss on :luigi64:/:luigimelee:/:luigi2:/:4luigi:'s Mansion stage) (my second favorite character from the :mario64:/:mariomelee:/:mario2:/:4mario: series. Second only to the great Daisy)
Same exact nominations EVERY TIME UNTIL ONE OF THEM GETS ITS DAY! (I will then choose another character instead of the one who got its day)
(PS: The five nominated are Viridi, Prince Fluff, Emolga, Snake, and King Boo. Both five have a 1x of nomination each)

Monita
chance 2%
Now for this game? Very low. The ballot and general necessity of selling products brings problems.

But for smash 5 i think she(?) Could have a very good shot as being the "wtf" character. Hopefully there is a nintendoland 2. But this isnt for smash 5 but smash 4 dlc.

Plus she could have an alt of dark monita. And we know how that goes :4darkpit:

Want 15%
to be honest i loved nintendoland. I really want a sequel. Hell if metroid blast was made its own game i would buy it.

But even then i would rather have her in a nintendoland stage (absolutely godlike idea). Maybe an AT. Playable wouldnt be the best thing but i would still buy her.

Although i REALLY want her to be in the universal studios nintendo park. It seems too obvious.

Prediction 33.333%

Noms
viridi 4
nintendoland stage 1

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Monita:

Chance: Negligible
She, unlike all the characters we've had this far (even the cut veterans and most of the characters we've rated this far), doesn't have a body. And only summoning props would be too cheap for a moveset (finishing even Classic on 9,0 difficulty in, what, three seconds?). ... And before you bring the "all of the newer newcomers hail from the 3DS" argument, let me remind you that the only things we've gotten from the Wii U this far were stages and OSTs, both two being quite secondary when compared to characters.
1. She can float to move and attack with props. Having a body doesn't matter and is in fact very unique.
And I need to tell you every time again:
THERE ALWAYS HAS TO BE A FIRST TIME.

R.O.B doesn't have legs.
Mega Man uses a projectile to jab
Villager has Pocket
Wii Fit Trainer changes stats
Pac-Man has 8 projectiles in one move.

2. I said she would be able to MOVE when a prop is up. Not attack.
The props would stay out long, without much power, but Monita can move while attacking but can't deal damage when a prop is somewhere up in the air.

Even if you think that's still OP, use your brain and make it weaker.

3. THERE ALWAYS HAS TO BE A FIRST TIME FOR SOMETHING.
Something can happen without precendence. That's called a first time.
There are reasons to believe it will happen, namely these stages and the 3DS-characters showing the focus slowly shifts to the current gen.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Highly requested popular characters will make more people...so what's vague about it?
If the leaks are anything to go by, Ryu would've been that 'surprise' newcomer...Monita falls flat in comparison to him when it comes to overall popularity and his legendary status in the gaming industry...
Yeah, again there are multiple ways he can make fans happy with DLC that isn't just characters and popularly requested characters. If he specifically said popularly requested newcomers, I would have agreed with you, but that's not the exact case yet.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Monita
Chance- 1.8%
Want- 0%

Don't see it happening. Don't want it happening.
Doesn't have move set potential, doesn't have more than a small fan base (probably half of whom are trolling), and has only been in one game.

Mach Rider Predictions- 21%
Nominations:

Crono x5

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Monita
Chance: 5%
Want: 5%

Mach Rider prediction: 12.5%
Nomination:
Porky (Earthbound) x5

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
1. She can float to move and attack with props. Having a body doesn't matter and is in fact very unique.
And I need to tell you every time again:
THERE ALWAYS HAS TO BE A FIRST TIME.

R.O.B doesn't have legs.
Mega Man uses a projectile to jab
Villager has Pocket
Wii Fit Trainer changes stats
Pac-Man has 8 projectiles in one move.

2. I said she would be able to MOVE when a prop is up. Not attack.
The props would stay out long, without much power, but Monita can move while attacking but can't deal damage when a prop is somewhere up in the air.

Even if you think that's still OP, use your brain and make it weaker.

3. THERE ALWAYS HAS TO BE A FIRST TIME FOR SOMETHING.
Something can happen without precendence. That's called a first time.
There are reasons to believe it will happen, namely these stages and the 3DS-characters showing the focus slowly shifts to the current gen.
1. ROB still has a "main" body, with both a head, arms (two, not one), hands, a head... (legs are kind of optional, for robots, since they could be replaced with a machine like ROB's). And none of the afore-mentioned characters have the same problem (the problem of "no main body"). NOT HAVING A BODY IS A PROBLEM IN AND OUT OF ITSELF!
2. Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess! (There's still the "attack and escape" tactic, which would be a bit too OP if it's the whole moveset, hence why the Duck Hunt Duo has only one summoning attack, same with Zelda, so there's no way they'll put a character with only summon attacks, unless they want the fans to complain about it).
3. ... Everything that happened before in recent Smash games (Brawl and 4) had a precedence (for example, G&W was an iconic but very old character, so ROB could easily have been seen from miles away, because of their kinda similar "old and iconic" status... Monita has no precedence for the whole "no body" thing, hence why my point stands). The fact that the Wii U stages and OSTs have no unique playable characters in the base game means that there's from very few to no chance for playable DLC characters from Wii U games.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Highly requested popular characters will make more people happy...so what's vague about it?
"Wut. Villager?"
"Guys! Wii Fit Trainer! We got our surprise"
"Rosalina! Who would've thought that!"
"Greninja. Okay. Surprise! Lol"
"Soooo, Robin? Surprised me"
"Miis. But as fighters. Well done Sakurai. Didn't expect that one"
"Are you kidding me? Duck Hunt?"
"Why did Dr. Mario even return like"
"Two unique newcomers from the Mario series. Surprising."

Of course, the DLC group of newcomers will be smaller, but suggesting there'll be only one "surprise newcomer" is futile.

I think Sakurai meant he's doing DLC because it makes the fans happy.

It won't be a Popular Pick Paradise after October and everybody expecting that is in for a heavy ride with the Attraction Train.

1. ROB still has a "main" body, with both a head, arms (two, not one), hands, a head... (legs are kind of optional, for robots, since they could be replaced with a machine like ROB's). And none of the afore-mentioned characters have the same problem (the problem of "no main body"). NOT HAVING A BODY IS A PROBLEM IN AND OUT OF ITSELF!
2. Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess! (There's still the "attack and escape" tactic, which would be a bit too OP if it's the whole moveset, hence why the Duck Hunt Duo has only one summoning attack, same with Zelda, so there's no way they'll put a character with only summon attacks, unless they want the fans to complain about it).
3. ... Everything that happened before in recent Smash games (Brawl and 4) had a precedence (for example, G&W was an iconic but very old character, so ROB could easily have been seen from miles away, because of their kinda similar "old and iconic" status... Monita has no precedence for the whole "no body" thing, hence why my point stands). The fact that the Wii U stages and OSTs have no unique playable characters in the base game means that there's from very few to no chance for playable DLC characters from Wii U games.
Sakurai keeps moving the limits.
Let's take a look at the newcomers:

Mega Man:
Jab is a projectile:
Not before has a projectile been a normal move, let alone a jab.

Forward Tilt is the same projectile
Neutral Air is also the same projectile

Up Tilt is a powerful Shoryuken

Down Air is a projectile:
And not a normal projectile, a meteor smashing projectile at that.
And Mega Man is not OP, despite having one.
Why?
Because the move is balanced.
Its reach and lag is big to compensate.

Up Air is a pushing projectile:
This projectile can push opponents up and it's not OP either.

Forward Smash is a projectile:
Forward Smash is a projectile that increases range when charges.
And again, it's not OP.

Down Special is Leaf Shield
Something not seen yet. Ever.

Wii Fit Trainer:
Jab buries
Not before has a burying effect been outside of specials.
Now it's on a Jab.
And Wii Fit Trainer is far from OP

Down Special changes stats
Not before has a buffing move been in Smash.

Villager:
Up Smash is a projectile
And not OP

Forward Smash is a projectile that falls off ledges.
And not OP

Up Air and Down Air have RNG

Forward Air and Back air are projectiles

Pocket

You can now take any projectile and throw it out at any time.
And it's not OP.

Tree
A three-stage attack that makes a wall appear on-stage

Balloon Trip
A long lasting recovery based on an amount of balloons

Rosalina and Luma
Luma
Rosalina can attack from anywhere on-stage through Luma, whose position can be changed at wil.

Gravitational Pull
Take any projectile you want and throw it away.

Little Mac
KO Punch
A special meter that builds up through attacking and leads to an OHKO

Forward Smash
He has three.

Greninja
Shadow Sneak
Turn invisible. At will. Not OP

Hails from the 3DS

Mii Fighters
Fully customisable character

Palutena
Up Smash reaches to the ceiling
And not OP.

Pac-Man
Has 8 projectiles in one move
No precedence, not OP

Down Special
He can set down a wall that shoots windboxes. At will
(With customs they even shoot flames)

His Up B is a trap
As he can jump on it multiple times and can be placed on-stage

Robin
Air Smashes
And he can potentially smash opponents off-stage when playing carefully.

His Special and Smash Sword can break
A newcomer that can't use his Specials for a while?
No precedence.

Projectile Up Special
No precedence, not OP

Shulk
Monando buffs
A character that can change stats at will and can make himself kill better.
Only in Smash 4.

lol range
His giant sword can reach from anywhere.
And is not OP because it's balanced.

Also has no precedence.

Duck Hunt
Smashes are ranged
Wild Gunmen
Can

Bowser Jr.
MechaKoopa is a summonable item
His Clown Car mechanic
Him being heavier on one side than the other

All of this had zero precedence

1. Not when it actually works in a moveset

Monita can only summon one prop at any time.
The props are on stage for a time
Monita can move when props are still attacking

Pros:
Monita can move while attacking

Cons:
Monita can't attack for a long time if a prop is on-stage, leaving her vunlrable.

Possible balance:
Make Monita slow, so she can't run away fast.
Make attacks weak, so they don't give any reward
Make the props last longer, so Monita can't attack for a long time.
Make the props have lag, so they can't attack immediately

The "attack and run" tactic isn't more OP than straight up camping.

3. The fact that there are characters from the current gen show that there doesn't have to be a precedence for that either.

Laniv

Smash Lord
Monita

Chance: 12%
Not really seeing it. She's a high candidate for the new WTF character.

Want: 70%
What can I say, I love these weird, unexpected characters. :4gaw::4rob::4villager::4wiifit::4duckhunt:

Mach Rider Predictions: 45% Chance, 60% Want

Nominate Alpha Mode/Battlefield stages x 5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Monita

Chance - 0.99% - Sure, she comes from a best selling game. But the character herself wasn't a popular character, and move set wise she'd be forced to use elements from the attractions. Typically WTF characters have some interesting move set to them, but mostly being a mish-mash of elements already in the game seems to limit her. As they are already part the game at launch, you don't really have to sell this character, compared to DLC characters, who have to be able to stand alone, and this is where we run into trouble. If the character can make no guaranteed returns, then chances are they will be avoided. Maybe if she is unexpectedly popular.

Want - 35% - While I had fun with Nintendo Land, I'd prefer a stage rather than anything else.

Mach Rider Prediction - 17.38% - A semi-reasonable choice, but not at all likely.

Nominaitons
New Palutena's Guidance X3
Anna (FE) X2

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
"Wut. Villager?"
"Guys! Wii Fit Trainer! We got our surprise"
"Rosalina! Who would've thought that!"
"Greninja. Okay. Surprise! Lol"
"Soooo, Robin? Surprised me"
"Are you kidding me? Duck Hunt?"
"Why did Dr. Mario even return like"
"Two unique newcomers from the Mario series. Surprising."

Of course, the DLC group of newcomers will be smaller, but suggesting there'll be only one "surprise newcomer" is futile.

I think Sakurai meant he's doing DLC because it makes the fans happy.

It won't be a Popular Pick Paradise after October and everybody expecting that is in for a heavy ride with the Attraction Train.

Sakurai keeps moving the limits.
Let's take a look at the newcomers:

Mega Man:
Jab is a projectile:
Not before has a projectile been a normal move, let alone a jab.

Forward Tilt is the same projectile
Neutral Air is also the same projectile

Up Tilt is a powerful Shoryuken

Down Air is a projectile:
And not a normal projectile, a meteor smashing projectile at that.
And Mega Man is not OP, despite having one.
Why?
Because the move is balanced.
Its reach and lag is big to compensate.

Up Air is a pushing projectile:
This projectile can push opponents up and it's not OP either.

Forward Smash is a projectile:
Forward Smash is a projectile that increases range when charges.
And again, it's not OP.

Down Special is Leaf Shield
Something not seen yet. Ever.

Wii Fit Trainer:
Jab buries
Not before has a burying effect been outside of specials.
Now it's on a Jab.
And Wii Fit Trainer is far from OP

Down Special changes stats
Not before has a buffing move been in Smash.

Villager:
Up Smash is a projectile
And not OP

Forward Smash is a projectile that falls off ledges.
And not OP

Up Air and Down Air have RNG

Forward Air and Back air are projectiles

Pocket

You can now take any projectile and throw it out at any time.
And it's not OP.

Tree
A three-stage attack that makes a wall appear on-stage

Balloon Trip
A long lasting recovery based on an amount of balloons

Rosalina and Luma
Luma
Rosalina can attack from anywhere on-stage through Luma, whose position can be changed at wil.

Gravitational Pull
Take any projectile you want and throw it away.

Little Mac
KO Punch
A special meter that builds up through attacking and leads to an OHKO

Forward Smash
He has three.

Greninja
Shadow Sneak
Turn invisible. At will. Not OP

Hails from the 3DS

Mii Fighters
Fully customisable character

Palutena
Up Smash reaches to the ceiling
And not OP.

Pac-Man
Has 8 projectiles in one move
No precedence, not OP

Down Special
He can set down a wall that shoots windboxes. At will
(With customs they even shoot flames)

His Up B is a trap
As he can jump on it multiple times and can be placed on-stage

Robin
Air Smashes
And he can potentially smash opponents off-stage when playing carefully.

His Special and Smash Sword can break
A newcomer that can't use his Specials for a while?
No precedence.

Projectile Up Special
No precedence, not OP

Shulk
Monando buffs
A character that can change stats at will and can make himself kill better.
Only in Smash 4.

lol range
His giant sword can reach from anywhere.
And is not OP because it's balanced.

Also has no precedence.

Duck Hunt
Smashes are ranged
Wild Gunmen
Can

Bowser Jr.
MechaKoopa is a summonable item
His Clown Car mechanic
Him being heavier on one side than the other

All of this had zero precedence

1. Not when it actually works in a moveset

Monita can only summon one prop at any time.
The props are on stage for a time
Monita can move when props are still attacking

Pros:
Monita can move while attacking

Cons:
Monita can't attack for a long time if a prop is on-stage, leaving her vunlrable.

Possible balance:
Make Monita slow, so she can't run away fast.
Make attacks weak, so they don't give any reward
Make the props last longer, so Monita can't attack for a long time.
Make the props have lag, so they can't attack immediately

The "attack and run" tactic isn't more OP than straight up camping.

3. The fact that there are characters from the current gen show that there doesn't have to be a precedence for that either.
Most of this is also easy to implement, and not directly visible after playing the game for the first time (plus, my point about precedence didn't concern moves, let alone specified kind of moves... it concerns the characters' appearance and status). Your idea of a moveset for Monita include props and only props , with the possibility of moving around while using one. Add that to the fact that you're probably having VERY DIFFERENT ideas of which props, and you've gotten yourself a VERY CHEAP AND OP CHARACTER! (Also, the 3DS characters are there because it has been TWO TO FOUR YEARS THEY'VE SPEND MAKING THIS GAME! ... The most famous 3DS games got out in the middle of the development time, or right before, so they were a shoo-in for Smash... The Wii U was most likely still being developed and/or updated at that time, so very few of the stages, and not much OSTs either, were implemented). The Mii Fighters and the Villager were to be implemented in Brawl, so don't compare them to Monita here.
Also, even with ALL of the balance you can give it, there's still too much OPness in that idea of a moveset (plus, what is Smash without all of the fighting between the players? Monita's prop moveset wouldn't fit in because it's ONLY PROJECTILES! Every character has at least 25% of their moveset as direct attacks, even Mega Man).
Also, while most of them were surprising and unexpected to most of the fans, there were still hints left for all of them (except Greninja, strangely, which is why I hate him even more):
- Villager had his stage in Brawl, and was mentioned to be tried as a playable character in Brawl (in the beta version, probably).
- Wii Fit Trainer has a very easy to imagine moveset (and it was also fun to made, considering the unusual poses)
- Rosalina... well, Super Mario Galaxy was quite an important series in the Mario "canon".
- Greninja... I got nothing.
- Robin is the Avatar of a new FE game (FE was promotionned to the West back in Melee, so it's quite important and popular nowadays)
- Miis were planned in Brawl, considering their involvement in some other Wii games like "Mario Kart Wii" or "Mario & Sonic at the London Olympics".
- The Duck Hunt dog was the most hated video game character back in the NES days (so he's quite iconic), and the duck is more secondary (since it doesn't get hurt).
- Dr Mario came back to avoid "alienating" the Melee fans (same goes for Mewtwo's return)
- Bowser Jr... Well, it felt unnatural to have Bowser without his kid (which seems to be more important in some more recent "canon" Mario games, to the point of even coming in spin-offs).

Last edited:

RaenUE

Smash Cadet
NNID
RaenUE
3DS FC
0705-3752-9517
Monita
I can't see her getting in because of the ballot, especially since I've seen next to no demand for her (possibly because a lot of people discredit her because they can't imagine how she would be a fighter). She has plenty of moveset potential (I'm thinking something like Yukari Yakumo, or even the more recent Usami Sumirenko, as they appeared in the Touhou fighters, warping things from attractions in to attack, but a summoner could work too), and is from a very popular game. It does hurt her chances that Nintendo Land only has one game with no sign of more on the way so far. Her chances are low, but not impossible.

Want: 40%
I'd rather have someone else, but she would at least stand out. Not a bad choice, just not one I particularly want. Maybe if she was guaranteed to be a summoner I'd want her more.

Predictions:
Mach Rider: 9%

Nomination:
*Concept: (Shin) Megami Tensei Character (includes Persona & Devil Survivor) x5

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Most of this is also easy to implement, and not directly visible after playing the game for the first time (plus, my point about precedence didn't concern moves, let alone specified kind of moves... it concerns the characters' appearance and status). Your idea of a moveset for Monita include props and only props , with the possibility of moving around while using one. Add that to the fact that you're probably having VERY DIFFERENT ideas of which props, and you've gotten yourself a VERY CHEAP AND OP CHARACTER! (Also, the 3DS characters are there because it has been TWO TO FOUR YEARS THEY'VE SPEND MAKING THIS GAME! ... The most famous 3DS games got out in the middle of the development time, or right before, so they were a shoo-in for Smash... The Wii U was most likely still being developed and/or updated at that time, so very few of the stages, and not much OSTs either, were implemented). The Mii Fighters and the Villager were to be implemented in Brawl, so don't compare them to Monita here.
Also, even with ALL of the balance you can give it, there's still too much OPness in that idea of a moveset (plus, what is Smash without all of the fighting between the players? Monita's prop moveset wouldn't fit in because it's ONLY PROJECTILES! Every character has at least 25% of their moveset as direct attacks, even Mega Man)
1. What if she could move, but she's slow as heck?
Or the prop attacks would be weak.
Or Monita would be super light
Or the prop would attack late after been put down
Or putting down the props would take very long.

For clarification, Monita would summon a prop in place, the prop then attacks in the same place.
Monita can move around after putting down the prop.

After the prop dissappears, Monita can do the same thing again.

Because Monita can't attack directly the opponent can easily kill her if they run around a prop and aim for Monita.
Summoning a prop and letting it attack takes more time than attacking directly like other characters.

She can't combo either, since the prop dissappearing takes a while and summoning another one takes time too.

2. So now that the Wii U is out, Monita can easily be DLC. Nintendo Land is out for three years.

3. You're right.
100% prop would be very unorthodox.
Even full projectile-moveset Mega Man has a few close-range moves.

But the concept could still work.
A few moves could be reworked into direct moves, like Neutral Air and Jab.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Another character I have no idea about before ballot: Monita

Chance: Abstain
Just to prevent counterarguments like "Don't just rate 0% because you don't know the character", I decide not to try to give a Chance rating. Just to mention tho: Monita would be some of the less-requested character, and....

Look, I see people mention how she can be a "WTF Character", but for WTF Characters like these, I would say it's safer for them to be stapled directly into the game, since not much would expect these to be a good character, or at least a character they will love. Chances are, like the potato argument 20 pages earlier, only those who wants to collect all DLCs would get her.

Want: 0%
Again, no recognition of this character from me, so I won't really like her getting in. Have seen her appearing in some top 10s on Youtube, but I was still like "wtf what's this overrated thing" and feel like people are having weird choices.

Predictions:
Mach Rider: 2.7%
Who's this thing? (Sorry for unintended offenses) But yeah... I'll need some research *walks away*

*returns* Okay, just read a short article, he seems to be some kind of spiritual predecessor of Captain Falcon like KOS-MOS's case. So maybe I can give him a rating like KOS-MOS's result, with one percent added for being still relevant to nintendo as a classic character (We have enough of these tho, no?)

Nominations:
Slippy Toad x5
Bomberman x5
Slime x3

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
1. What if she could move, but she's slow as heck?
Or the prop attacks would be weak.
Or Monita would be super light
Or the prop would attack late after been put down
Or putting down the props would take very long.

For clarification, Monita would summon a prop in place, the prop then attacks in the same place.
Monita can move around after putting down the prop.

After the prop dissappears, Monita can do the same thing again.

Because Monita can't attack directly the opponent can easily kill her if they run around a prop and aim for Monita.
Summoning a prop and letting it attack takes more time than attacking directly like other characters.

She can't combo either, since the prop dissappearing takes a while and summoning another one takes time too.

2. So now that the Wii U is out, Monita can easily be DLC. Nintendo Land is out for three years.

3. You're right.
100% prop would be very unorthodox.
Even full projectile-moveset Mega Man has a few close-range moves.

But the concept could still work.
A few moves could be reworked into direct moves, like Neutral Air and Jab.
1. Even with a lot of balance, it's still pretty inconceivable (and could be VERY hard to implement, too). Plus, you're screwing up the defensive tactics just to balance the offensive tactics (something that shouldn't even be thought about).
2. ... No, I meant that she's still TOO NEW! Look at Melee, the only character we've gotten that didn't exist at the time the system and game were created was Roy, but he was put in to promote his first "canon" appearance and there wasn't any reference to GameCube games. Same with Brawl, the only things that were considered but that didn't exist before the gaming system (the Wii) was complete were the Mii Fighters, yet they were dropped. So far, the only thing that can reference the gaming system's games are OSTs (easy to implement) and stages (introduced here in Smash 4)! We have to wait AT LEAST A LITTLE before any Wii U character gets in as playable or even an assist (Dark Samus wasn't even an AT in Brawl)!
3. ... And THAT puts a good hole in the idea of the moveset alone. The only thing Monita can use to attack directly is her only hand (and arm), but do you think there would be enough animations or even poses for its attacks (jabs, finishers, smashes and the like)? There should be at least about as much non-projectile non-prop moves as Mega Man got!

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Miis were highly requested actually.

2. ... No, I meant that she's still TOO NEW! Look at Melee, the only character we've gotten that didn't exist at the time the system and game were created was Roy, but he was put in to promote his first "canon" appearance and there wasn't any reference to GameCube games. Same with Brawl, the only things that were considered but that didn't exist before the gaming system (the Wii) was complete were the Mii Fighters, yet they were dropped. So far, the only thing that can reference the gaming system's games are OSTs (easy to implement) and stages (introduced here in Smash 4)! We have to wait AT LEAST A LITTLE before any Wii U character gets in as playable or even an assist (Dark Samus wasn't even an AT in Brawl)!
She's not "too new", Robin and Greninja made it in the game, and their games were released after hers.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Monita
Chance 1.25%
I don't have a lot of time right now, so I'll just say that a character like this would have been better in the base game as a more humorous addition to the roster. I'll give the floating guide a chance of 1.25%.
She would make a great assist trophy or stage element though...

Want: 3.5%
I'd rather see other characters for DLC, but if she was a part of the initial roster I wouldn't mind all that much.

Prediction - Mach Rider: 7.8%

Nominations:
x5 Toon Zelda

Last edited:
Top Bottom