• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Squirtle
Chance: 20%
Want: 40%

Ivysaur
Chance: 10%
Want: 70%

Layton prediction: 6%

Nominations: DLC characters get custom moves x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Going to post my rating now since I gotta sleep soon, y'all need to read first, will edit in prediction later:

Professor Layton Chance:
25%

I think Martingale has most of the things I wanted to state in my rating really, but I'm going to post anyway so that people understand that he does have a chance.

Professor Layton is probably one of the more likely 3rd party candidates than most right now, I'd argue he has as much a good chance as Rayman (minus trophy appearance). For one, the Professor Layton franchise is definitely a very popular third-party franchise that has been close to Nintendo for quite a long time with its 7 games published exclusively on their portables. Outside of Japan, he's pretty much advertised with big Nintendo icons in NoE and NoA, most notably in the UK too. (Where Professor Layton is mostly inspired from)

He also comes from a puzzle genre (a genre hardly represented in Smash), and we know that Sakurai wants to appeal to all sorts of gamers out there, and he has a large female demographic with the series that can cater to make Layton sell as DLC.
Sakurai went on to note the importance of not catering to one specific audience while developing a Super Smash Bros. game. Doing so would definitely make developing and balancing the game easier, but it would also reduce the number of people that would play and enjoy the game.

And he does have some interesting moveset potential, notably with the use of his small fencing sword. In fencing, there's a lot of defensive and countering strategies involved in that sport. That could easily translate to Layton's playstyle as him being one of the more defensive characters who has lots of counter moves involved in most of his moveset, a huge mindgame and (literally) a puzzle to hit, but easy to launch and has a pretty large hitbox and has little range with his fencing sword.

Some of his notable inventions he crafted (Slot Machine Gun, St. Mystere Glider and the Catapult) can be used as special moves too, or maybe he can use the gameplay of PL to his advantage (such as the magnifying glass being used as a stun attack and hint coin as a counter ((A.K.A. cheating on a puzzle to win :troll: ))) to craft a moveset from.

Not only that, in the situation Sakurai did not choose him as a pre-ballot candidate, he already has a large amount of popularity going on with the ballot, he's big in Tumblr and Twitter and in many wish lists in many video game websites and forums. And technically, even though Level-5 has been keeping quiet with support for their characters, the creator of Layton has stated before aside with Sakurai that he would like to see Layton in Smash years ago, so it's safe to assume that they would make negotiations with him easier.

All in all, I think he's one of the more likely third parties currently being asked in the game, he does have great points towards his inclusion whether or not he's been chosen pre-ballot or not.

Professor Layton Want:
100%
Needs to happen, would go bonkers over his inclusion!

DLC characters getting custom moves:
13.324% Going to bet on a low rating.

Nominations:
x5 Young Link

Last edited:

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Chance: 40%. (For Ivysaur.) 15% (for squirtle.) 27%. (Both.)
Yes, that high for all of them. Sakurai said as much DLC as possible, and these two make sense to be characters. They already have movesets, excluding down specials, but Ivysaur could have something like a venoshock, and squirtle a rapid spin.

LAyton prediction: 14%.

Noms: Bayonetta x5.

(I hope I made it.) @ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
@ sogeki sogeki I added your rating.

SQUIRTLE
CHANCE: 26.91%
WANT: 50.24%

IVYSAUR
CHANCE: 26.44%
WANT: 49.19%
This was pretty much a tie, but Squirtle managed to beat Ivysaur by only 0.47% in chance. Next up we're rating everyone's favorite puzzle solving Professor Layton. Also please predict what score the concept of DLC characters receiving custom moves will get.

D

Deleted member

@Groose's propaganda from the old thread can be found here.

Professor Layton

@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 solved the puzzle took words out of my mouth and then some.

If Layton were first party, then my rating would be much higher.

Want: 100%

He'd be an interesting choice from what I've seen of his games.

Prediction: DLC Characters Get Custom Moves - 30%

Nomination: Zael x5

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
Dang it, I really wanted to start doing 2 characters/concepts a day.

Layton:
Chance: 16%. While characters can basically make him with mii fighters, they still aren't satisfied. I would have given him an extremely low score, if smash bros were not an nontraditional fighting game. While I'm not sure his moveset would work, it would be unique.
Want: 1%.

DLC characters getting custom moves prediction: 22%.
Nominations: Vaati x3
Bayonetta x1
Elma x1

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Herschel Layton:

So, I see very few differences between Layton and Wright (did we really rate him a week ago already?). Both are third-party title characters from franchises which are very heavily Nintendo, both are...not exactly known as fighters, and both have strong fanbases. True, he is a fencer...but that doesn't mean much - Zelda and Ganondorf are also swordsmen, but neither has lifted a sword for Smash. His gameplay is mostly centered around puzzles too, which does not lend to fighting styles. Besides, give a Mii the Top Hat, and you're done. You can even make his face better than you can make Phoenix's, since Layton is a little more Toon-y of a character.
Want: 0%
If we had to have one bizarre, non-fighter fighter character from left-field, I'd take Wright instead. Otherwise just give me Squirtle and Ridley, and then I'll be ok with absolutely anyone else.
Prediction - Custom Moves 21.1%

Nomination:
Takamaru x2
Chrom x2
Tails x1​

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Professor Layton

Chance: 15%
Third party, but very popular puzzle games and decently requested. I guess he's got a decent chance but at the same time as a third party character he doesn't really hold the same ground as other third party characters that are in the roster. The ballot may make him a surprise addition however.

----

Want: 5%
Don't really care to be honest...his fencing techniques will be sorta different from the rest of the roster (Marth/Lucina have a similar fighting style but not quite the same as fencing) but at the some time he'd probably just sort of be 'there' if he was added to DLC...

----

Prediction: 43.5%
Concept: DLC Characters get Custom Moves
It's almost a toss up I feel...Mewtwo came without customs moves, perhaps they weren't ready and will be added later through patching or a big custom moves DLC bundle for all characters...or DLC characters are not intended to get customs to begin with, because reasons...

----

Nominations:
Dark Samus x5
aka NOT ...a..fish? (I'm running out of things to put here)

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Professor Layton:

I've seen the Professor Layton series as a successful series and has been with Nintendo since the start of their series, but it really hasn't sparked any interest in me to pick up a title so his character doesn't really hold any interest for me.

Nom: Dragon Quest Hero x5

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Professor Layton:

Want: 2%

Custom Moves Prediction: 60% chance

Nomination: Bayonetta x 5

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Professor Layton
Chance: 18%
Basically the same as Phoenix Wright in terms of being from a third party developer, but whose games are published by Nintendo outside Japan (he even gets mentioned alongside Mario, Link, Phoenix et al. on the Nintendo UK website). Layton doesn't have Ryu and his sound files to overcome, though, since there are no other Level-5 characters already in the roster. Layton also seems to have a few more voices backing him than Phoenix, especially in the West.

Want: 65%
I like Layton, and I'd take him for the not-a-fighter fighter "slot" if Nick doesn't get in. It's easier to make a suitable Mii fighter of Layton than of Nick, though (why no Phoenix Wright hair option, Nintendo?).

Prediction for tomorrow's concept: 34.71%

Nominations: Anna (Fire Emblem) x3
Tiki (Fire Emblem) x2

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Professor Layton Chance: 2%

Pros:
+Represents a very well-recieved series of puzzle games on the DS.
+Has potential for a unique move set.
+Is popular.
+Is British.

Cons:
-Is Third Party
-While popular, he's not one of the most demanded characters.
-His series also isn't necessarily the most well-known.
-The Layton series as we know it is over; the next installment in the series will be noticeably different from its predecessors, and won't feature Layton himself.

In my opinion, Layton is the kind of character that would be an ideal choice for Smash if he were a Nintendo character. He certainly has the credentials for it, and he could make for an exciting addition to the cast of characters. Despite that, I don't believe he meets the higher criteria Sakurai has set for Third Party characters. As such, despite his positive qualities, I can't see him getting into Smash any time soon.

Professor Layton Want: 100%

But it would be awesome to have him in.

Last edited:

RaenUE

Smash Cadet
NNID
RaenUE
3DS FC
0705-3752-9517
Professor Layton
[Might add a coherent paragraph when I wake up]
+10% for ballot (and popularity), +5% for being a Nintendo-exclusive 3rd party, +5% for being on apparent good terms with Nintendo, +5% for moveset and aesthetic variety/uniqueness, -7% for being a moderately new 3rd party, but not particularly revolutionary

Want: 50%
While I don't have much attachment to Professor Layton as a character, I see him being an overall refreshing change of pace from the other fighters. His games have always that one "I'd play it if I had more time" series, and he's essentially a character that I wouldn't mind being in Smash, but don't feel any strong desire to see appear either.

DLC characters receiving customs prediction: 17%

Nomination:
*Concept: (Shin) Megami Tensei Character (includes Persona & Devil Survivor) x5

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Professor Layton
Chance: 6%
+Famous puzzle games
+Pretty much Nintendo exclusive
+Has a top hat
+Lots of moveset potential
-Third Party
~-Not exceptionally popular on the ballot

Want: 91%

Prediction:
DLC characters receiving customs: 48.3%

Nomination:
Spyro the Dragon [x10]

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Plenty of extra nominations to hand out today. First, @ Troykv Troykv gets TEN extra nominations for tying for the closest prediction for both Ivysaur and Squirtle. @Nimbostratus was in the tie for the Squirtle prediction, while @ A10theHero A10theHero and @IvanQuote tied in the Ivysaur prediction, so those three get five extra nominations.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Professor Layton

Chance: 5%
I don't really know what his chances are since he's kind of third party.

Never played any of his games, so I know very little about him.

Predictions: DLC custom moves 50%

Nominations: BB bandit trio X5.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Professor Layton:

Chance: 25%

A frequently resquested third party character that not's so obscure. His series sold over 15 million copies worldwide becoming the best selling series for Level 5. And all of his games are on Nintendo systems. That said though, he's not as requested as other third party characters when it comes to the Ballot compared to Simon Belmont or Solid Snake.

Want:ABSTAINED. I didn't play any of the games(And I regret it).

Prediction:

DLC Characters getting Custom Moves: 41%

Nominations:

Rhythm Heaven Character x2

Mother 3 Stage x3

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
PROFESSOR LAYTON
Chance: 5%

...I really need to expand my video game collection since I keep giving 0% wants lately

DLC CHARACTERS GET CUSTOM MOVES
Prediction: 56.89%

NOMINATION
Elma x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Professor Layton

Chance: 2%
He is third party and not iconic, at least not on the other third party characters level we have. Being Nintendo exclusive obviously doesn't mean much when Ryu is likely on the way. Also we are already likely getting one third party character and I don't see us getting many of those.
Want: 30%
He seems a lot more appealing then Wright and I would like to play some of his games.

Nominate R.O.B. eye bug fix x5

Prediction: DLC custom moves 45%

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
A Puzzling Late-On Addition? Professor Layton Chances
Chance: 45%

Okay, so yesterday I said I was going to abstain from the chance ratings. I lied. That is to say, I've taken a very long time to consider Layton in the grand scheme of characters in the game, his relevancy to Nintendo compared to other characters we've rated. I've also tried to consider the important demographics that Smash DLC wants to hit. Overall, I have to say that Layton has to be the highest chance of all third party characters, other than Ryu. Anything less than that seems ludicrous to me, given that he's seen as integral by many of the company figures of Nintendo. So Layton is getting 45%, one of the highest ratings I've given to a character other than Roy, Ryu or Wolf. He just has so many things going for him that it has to be this high.

So here's my reasoning in support of Layton. This is the thing I posted yesterday, so if you've seen it, no need to open up the spoiler. If you don't know much about him, please give this a read!

-Diverse moveset possibilities: proven capability in fencing, inventions such as the Slot Machine Gun, St. Mystere Glider and the Catapult, and in-game nuances from the hundreds of puzzles could build a moveset simply. He's also great at hand to hand combat (he slapped a mind-controlled wolf in the face so hard it was sent flying. So basically he has won the 74th Hunger Games.). These diversities offer a lot of unique moves and "mind-game" potential which would make him a very interesting character.

-15 million game sales across seven games. Well above StarFox and just shy of Metroid, so relevancy with respect to sales is not an issue. He is also one of the rare franchises that sells best in Europe, one of the hardest demographics with respect to video game sales of the main three-- and a demographic Smash could capitalise on.

-High popularity on tumblr and Twitter, strong female support, (a demographic Nintendo want to expand within Smash). Shigeru Miyamoto has praised Professor Layton highly for opening up the female gaming market. This doesn't mean he's only popular with the ladies, though, and placed highly on many gaming news websites' "characters that should be in Smash" lists, and now on quite a few YouTubers' DLC newcomer lists. Was rumoured to be a character included in Brawl, and rumours of his inclusion have been circulating since.

-The Layton franchise debuted on the DS, and we have yet to receive a character from a franchise that debuted on the DS or 3DS. Only Greninja, Lucario and Lucina debuted on these consoles, but none of these are suitable candidates to truly represent these consoles in the way Wii Fit Trainer represents the Wii. Layton epitomises the unique staple (3)DS character, and was one of the first franchises to truly explore the touch screen functionality.

-Liked internally by Nintendo; Nintendo UK's website lists him third out of all Nintendo characters in their character hub, even above the likes of Pikachu and just shy of Link. Nintendo UK consider Layton more relevant Nintendo than Pokemon, Metroid, Kirby, Starfox and so on. Make of it what you will.

-We need a puzzle game representative that isn't Dr. Mario, and actually incorporates puzzle elements. With platformer, adventure, minigame, open-world, arcade, RPG, FPS, fantasy, second life, sports, sci-fi, racing, and even more genres represented, a genuine and hearty foray into the puzzle genre is needed.

-Although third party in Japan, Level-5 and NoJ are very close, withLevel-5 mainly publishing on DS and 3DS for such favourites as Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Fantasy Life, Yokai Watch and more. (Though if they did Ni No Kuni on the WiiU I'd be very happy... Different topic.) Note the availability of the Inazuma Eleven anime on the Nintendo Anime Channel. Layton is a second party character elsewhere published by Nintendo, akin to Pokemon.

-Layton's creators have already stated they would willingly work with the Smash team to make his inclusion a reality.

And if anyone considers bringing the fact that Layton-7 is going to be mobile only:
-Layton-7 is a spin-off. Any official canonical Layton games are preceded with "Professor Layton". Layton Brothers Mystery Room is another spin-off which hasn't affected the chances yet. The reason the game didn't make it to 3DS was because of its highly experimental style which Level-5 considered too much of a risk to put through the hardcopy publication process on 3DS, though has stated interest on bringing it to WiiU. And really, if you're going to bring in this mobile game, better ignore the mobile ports of Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (although Sonic's games are slowly disappearing because Sega can't company.)

-Fantasy Life 2 is not actually an expansion of the first game-- it's basically a second version of the same game in which city building is key. It offers a free-to-play alternative to get people interested in the FL franchise which will be continued on console. Note that both of these are working titles and will almost certainly not be the published titles due to their misleading nature.

Want: 100%
LAAAAAAAYTOOOOOON.
That is all.

This guy can bring along some brilliant and unique stages, music, assist trophies (Granny Riddleton and Don Paolo would be brilliant!), and gives Level-5 the representation it deserves in Smash, being one of the integral companies in the success of the 3DS. This also means we could get Fantasy Life, Inazuma Eleven, or Yokai Watch trophies, items and assist characters which I would be very happy about! He'd also be ridiculously fun to play as, as mind-games would likely be his forté, and Sakurai did say that the characters have to bring something unique to the table. This is the thing!

Basically if this guy cost the full cost of Smash as DLC, I'd still buy it. I've been a supporter of this guy for the Smash Brothers games for basically as long as he has existed. Layton in Smash would be more than just a dream come true. I honestly wouldn't know how to emotionally react to it. Smash and Professor Layton were the two franchises that basically saved my life. I wasn't a social person and was very introverted, so video games were one of the only forms of therapy I had while I was severely depressed for years. I didn't tell anyone. One of these games helped me redirect anger away from myself, and one helped me to take life in a logical manner and not to feel overwhelmed by life's obstacles, as everything has a solution. It just takes hard work and lateral thinking, and getting angry wouldn't help anything. I learned so much. I got so involved in the stories too... They were a world away from the one I didn't like anymore, and it helped me through a lot. There isn't any telling where I'd be without these games. Layton feels more like an old friend than a made-up character in a video game. Seeing these two cross over would be unbelievable.
And that's why I have 100% want for this guy. Because he has done more for me in my life than anyone could possibly fathom, and he doesn't even exist. Sorry for getting so emotional folks.

ANYWAY!
DLC Characters Getting Customs Prediction: 22.3%
Mewtwo what are you doing here without your customs? I think they haven't been a priority for Smash in these DLCs, so they may be forgotten altogether.

Man, now who do I nominate?
Let's give 2 votes to Magikarp, 2 to King Boo and 1 to Funky Kong.

(And eh, just a quick thought I'd like to discuss: when you're a third party character who only appears on Nintendo consoles, are you really third party? I personally see it as a Pokemon-esque second party relationship in the case of Layton games. Layton-7 is a spinoff that was originally designed not to include Layton at all. But if The Pokemon Company, who share a similar only-on-Nintendo status, can publish iOS-only spin-offs such as Pokemon Camp, what's the difference?)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If only @Hoots were here to see this, not like he would care anyways.

Professor Layton

Chance: 29%

Layton is pretty much the most relevant puzzle them character thanks to the popularity of his games and being one of the faces of the Level-5 development team. He had a decent following going for him since pre-Smash 4 and he would fit in well with the Smash atmosphere. While some might say that he's one the same boat as Mr. Wright, the developer Level-5 has a VERY close relationship with Nintendo (Even to the point of having them publish the series in Europe) and he is often advertised in plenty of Nintendo Directs these days. The only really worry is that he not have enough support in the ballot unlike the more popular Banjo Kazooie, Snake, Rayman, and the indies. Then there's the fact that he's third party and there is a limited amount of room for one of those.

Want: 80%

Badass puzzle solver with a top hat is a better fighter than Phoenix Wright, even if I love him. Did I forget to mention how atrocious antagonists are along with the gripping stories? Layton is perfect for Smash and I would love to see what a Layton Kirby would look like in HD.

Prediction: 40%
Concept: DLC Characters get Custom Moves

Nominations:
Monita x5

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Professor Layton:

A bit higher than Phoenix Wright due to being from another company not represented yet. However, he's still quite new to compare with the legacy of the other third parties. If he were a first party though, then we'd have him already.

Unlike Ace Attorney, I still haven't played any of his games nor the crossover, so I'm neutral towards him at the moment (my opinion will change once I do manage to play his games.)

Nominations:
Monita x5

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
(And eh, just a quick thought I'd like to discuss: when you're a third party character who only appears on Nintendo consoles, are you really third party? I personally see it as a Pokemon-esque second party relationship in the case of Layton games. Layton-7 is a spinoff that was originally designed not to include Layton at all. But if The Pokemon Company, who share a similar only-on-Nintendo status, can publish iOS-only spin-offs such as Pokemon Camp, what's the difference?)
Level-5 doesn't have a second party partnership like Game Freak, plus when it comes to Game Freak we're talking about the developers for Nintendo's (and the World's) second biggest video game franchise any legal negotiations are more than worth it for a series that is guaranteed to sell...sure the Professor Layton games have their fans and success but it is no where near Pokemon...

Troykv

Smash Master
Plenty of extra nominations to hand out today. First, @ Troykv Troykv gets TEN extra nominations for tying for the closest prediction for both Ivysaur and Squirtle. @Nimbostratus was in the tie for the Squirtle prediction, while @ A10theHero A10theHero and @IvanQuote tied in the Ivysaur prediction, so those three get five extra nominations.
Wow o.o +10 Nominations...

Profesor Layton

Chance: 7%

Close with Nintendo but still third party... And not exactly a very popular o iconic one...

Want: 60%

He looks cool XD

Prediction: Concept: DLC Characters get custom moveset

Chance: 45%
Want: 76%

Nominations (overload!)

Micaiah x12 (YESH)
Tiki x1
KOS-MOS x1
Adeleine x1

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Level-5 doesn't have a second party partnership like Game Freak, plus when it comes to Game Freak we're talking about the developers for Nintendo's (and the World's) second biggest video game franchise any legal negotiations are more than worth it for a series that is guaranteed to sell...sure the Professor Layton games have their fans and success but it is no where near Pokemon...
Definitely not saying that Layton's success is even comparable to Pokemon's phenomenon sales-wise! But Level-5 do have a second-party relationship with Nintendo outside of Japan and in the case of Layton, that's where he makes his mark the most (Europe specifically). But Game Freak is also its own company, and like Level-5 doesn't have 100% loyalty to Nintendo (they're developing in part a game called Tembo the Badass Elephant for XB1/PS4/PC)-- just that their main franchise is wholly Nintendo apart from mobile spinoffs. That was the comparison I was trying to make! Sorry if I came across as "hur dur layton greater than pokemon get him in", just that it's important to note the symbiosis of Level-5 and Nintendo, which while it's not as strong as Game Freak and Nintendo, it's definitely still there in abundance.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Ahah, the "Ivysaur will be rated higher because muh Grass type" thing was completely destroyed :laugh:

Professor Layton chances: 5%
The well-known protagonist of the eponymous series, Professor Layton is the face of a multi-million selling franchise with almost all of its games released only on Nintendo platforms, and it proven itself to be quite popular among the handheld Nintendo audience. Plus it became one of the most iconic puzzle and visual novel series ever. I'd say he has enough going for him to at least be a contender for Smash Bros. despite being third-party... but he's still third-party after all and you all know how hard it is for third-parties to be playable in Smash Bros or maybe you're just underestimating it considering the higher-than-they-should-be chances scores Rayman and Shantae got, but whatever...

Not to mention Professor Layton isn't that requested by most Smash fans, being seemingly even outweighed by other third-party character requests, which for sure hurts him... though Ryu is apparently on the way despite the lack of initial demand, so maybe it could happen.

Professor Layton want: 52%
I don't have much connection with Professor Layton, for what I remember I just played one of the DS games for about five minutes, but I think he's among the most deserving least undeserving third-party characters to be playable in Smash Bros. and I wouldn't mind if he gets in. I have no idea how his moveset could be like, but it's just my ignorance I guess, so I won't lower my want score because of that.

Custom moves for all DLC characters prediction: 36.43%
I'm glad this day is happening this Friday instead of this weekend. I could have dealt with Saturday but Sunday was a big no-go for me since I'll not be able to be there during the later whatever happens, and I absolutely wanted to be there to rate this concept; expect a strong advocating post from me in both chances and want. Also thanks to everyone who helped me push this concept's nominations to make it happen tomorrow!

And for the prediction itself, well, I'm sure this day will be particularly interesting. This is probably the most unpredictable thing we've ever rated I think, but I'm expecting the overall chances score to be more pessimistic than optimistic. Guess I should prepare myself to a bunch of "If Mewtwo didn't get custom moves when he was released, why would he get them later?" or things like that. I'm also looking for the want score and hope it gets a high as possible.

Also is it known if Mewtwo amiibo data was found in the recent updates for Smash? We all know DLC characters are getting their own amiibos (though it won't matter anyway because of scalpers :troll: ) and if no Mewtwo amiibo data was found in the last update then it could strongly imply that his custom moves are coming later. It could indeed prevent things like playing with Mewtwo amiibo with custom moves in a future update then using this same Mewtwo amiibo on an older version without them which would cause the same glitchy moves as the ones we used to exploit before the 1.0.7 patch. Though otherwise it could easily just solved by just encrypting amiibo data I guess.

Nominating: since I'm done with "DLC characters get custom moves" I'll start nominating other things instead.
Concept: Battlefield form stages x1
Playable newcomer: Tetris Block (Tetrimino) x4

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Professor Layton:

Chance/Want: Abstain

Prediction:
Concept: DLC characters getting custom moves: 34%

Nomination:
Crash Bandicootx2
Spyrox3

Last edited:

Leaf_It

Smash Cadet
Professor Layton
He seems like a pretty good character to add, and would add representation from the DS, so I think the chances aren't terrible, but at the same time, they are aren't the best.

Sounds like he would be pretty fun, and I'm interested to see how he would play. I have nothing against him, so I see 50% as pretty neutral.

Prediction: 32.6%

Nominations:
x1 Flying Man (Flying bird men from the Magicant stage)
x1 Concept 4th Mii fighter type (Magic Mii)
x3 Isaac (Binding of Isaac)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I guess I'll have a go at this....
Professor Layton
+ It's a huge franchise during the DS era and it has been very close with Nintendo ever since.
+ Third party that fits in very well within the world of Smash Bros. (Heck some fans used to mistake the series for a Nintendo franchise for some time.)
+ Professor Layton has a huge following over at Tumblr and Twitter campaigning for him over at the ballot.
+ A potential for a fun and diverse moveset. We haven't really got any characters from the puzzle solving genre besides Dr.Mario so there is a lot that can be explored with characters like Layton and Mallo.
+ A good character that can appeal to the female demographic if Nintendo wishes to include a DLC character or two that can appeal to them, especially since a lot of female fans are pushing for his inclusion and Miyamoto himself respects the series for helping to grow the female consumer base.

- Well, he's a third party character....
- Sakurai may still have very high standards for third parties, even for DLC and despite the many feats this franchise has achieved. (And despite saying that you can vote for any videogame character you like...)
- The main series has more or less ended, with only spin-off's happening if Layton 7 is anything to go by....
- May not be as popularly (or as vocally at least) requested as some other third parties I guess....

Well I guess that's the general gist. Whilst I myself don't really have as much hope left than before. I'll keep my head up high for the sake of my fellow Professor Layton supporters. The series may not be as old as the likes of Sonic, Megaman or even Rayman and Banjo Kazooie. The series has still achieved a lot in the past 8 years from a movie to a crossover to even some imitators (Dr. Lautrec and May's Mysteries. You must have done something right if you got some other developers wanting to walk in your footsteps) up to Shigeru Miyamoto's own respect for what it has done for the DS era.

So I'll give him a solid 35% chance.

As for my want. That will be a good 100%

Professor Layton is my personal most wanted character and I'd be the most speechless if he where to actually make it into the Super Smash Bros series as a playable character. Even moreso than I was for Toon Link when he was included in Brawl. I fell in love with the franchise ever since I played its very first game. Professor Layton and the Curious Village, and I've been following it all the way to the very end. And even then I'm still following on with the series and supporting it. I've even made a 3D model of one of its characters and am also planning on making a model for Hershel Layton himself.

All in all. Seeing him as a playable character would be a dream come true for me as I'm pretty sure would be one for many fans too. So though I may not be as confident in him making it in. I'll still support him as much as I can, and I do hope the rest of the Professor Layton fandom does the same.

Prediciton: DLC characters getting custom moves. 36%

Nominations: Mallo x5

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Professor Layton:

Not too many people are promoting his inclusion.

Never played his games before.

DLC characters getting custom moves prediction: 50%

Nominations:
Sora x5

Last edited:
Mr awesome hat.

Chance 7%
he falls into a similar situation as phoenix being a 3rd party character with deep ties to nintendo. Layton just isnt from a company with 2 other characters.

He is gowever still 3rd party and his company is a bit smaller and he isnt super popular. Maybe he is in japan but i wouldnt know.

Want abstain
havent played his games. Dont know if i want to. . . Probably couldnt find the first game anyway

Prediction 33%

Noms
viridi 2
roy has awakening attire as default 2
4th mii class 1

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
The fact that they're calling a smartphone spinoff the officials eventh installment sickens me to no end.

Professor Layton(Layton series)
Chance:5%
Until 2013, Layton seemed to be the obvious choice for a Level-5 rep. Ever since his first game on the DS, he's had six games in his relatively short lifespan, all of them Nintendo exclusives: actually, he would have been the only third party character that is completely exclusive to Nintendo consoles (All of the other three had titles on other consoles), and he had the popularity and relevancy that not even most Nintendo characters had. The only question about his chances were whether or not a Level-5 rep was there: if there was, he would've been a shoo-in.

Until...
Ever since his first appearance, Jibanyan has quickly risen to the top of Japanese gaming and is actually managing to challenge Pikachu for his throne, rather well I might add. With a star like that, the other former mascots of Level-5 are quickly being brushed aside. Inazuma Eleven? Had the new trilogy rap up last year. Little Battlers? That was already dead long ago. And Layton? Well...we already know what had become of him, don't we?

Anyway, with Layton in smartphone bliss and a new star in town, Layton's chaces are really, really bleak. Pity too, because honestly he would actually fit alongside the Nintendo crew rather well.

Want:60%
Like I said, pity that he ain't likely. I've played through a number of his games, and I honeslty think they're really, really good, with the Unwound Future my favorite. I can see a fairly creative moveset there as well, with riddles to machine guns and all the other stuff Layton made. He's one of the few third parties I would not mind at all in the game, losing only to Slime.

DLC Custom Moves: 50% prediction.
I am just waiting for the looooong walls of text coming up.

Nominations: Slime(Dragon Quest) x5
Uh, can someone help me get this guy up before E3?

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Mr. Top Hat.

Chance: Abstain (don't really know him much. I only knew him thanks to his crossover with the famed Ace Attorney)
Want: Abstain (could have been a number, but I don't know him enough)

Prediction: DLC Chars gets custom moves
Abstain (I don't know if that would change anything, although being able to do the Mewtwo glitch with any update/patch and any color palette would be nice)

Nominations: (Daisy and :roymelee:/:roypm: are already nominated or leaked respectively so...) (:172:/:pichumelee: is already nominated)
Viridi (Kid Icarus: Uprising) (Playable newcomer) (My favorite Kid Icarus character)
Prince Fluff (:4kirby:/:kirby2:/:kirbymelee:/:kirby64: Epic Yarn) (Playable newcomer) (My favorite :kirby64:/:kirbymelee:/:kirby2:/:4kirby: character)
Emolga (Pokemon Black/White) (Playable newcomer) (One of my favorite pokemons... Plus, I needed someone to counter :4greninja:'s appearance, by having someone else from another recent generation)
:snake: (Metal Gear Solid) (Returning veteran) (My Brawl main, re-ratable)
King Boo (:4luigi:/:luigi2:/:luigimelee:/:luigi64:'s Mansion and many :4mario:/:mario2:/:mariomelee:/:mario64: spin-offs) (playable newcomer or stage boss on :luigi64:/:luigimelee:/:luigi2:/:4luigi:'s Mansion stage) (my second favorite character from the :mario64:/:mariomelee:/:mario2:/:4mario: series. Second only to the great Daisy)
Same exact nominations EVERY TIME UNTIL ONE OF THEM GETS ITS DAY! (I will then choose another character instead of the one who got its day)

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Layton
Chance: 25%
While not as storied as the other 3rd Parties, he has a realistic shot at making it in due to his near exclusivity to Nintendo hardware. However, he is getting huge amounts of support, so I think his chances as DLC aren't the strongest. I do think he is a very strong candidate as a Smash 5 newcomer though,

Want: 25%
While I have stated multiple times that I am against the inclusion of further third party characters, I am willing to make an exception for Layton. He's pretty much as close to being as Nintendo character as it gets without actually being one. He's not a big deal like the other 3rd Parties, bu he has been so consistent recently that I would welcome him in. That said I have never played any of his games, so I'm not exactly attached to the character.

DLC Character Custom Moves Prediction: 47.3%

Nominations
RH Character x3
Themed Stage Packs x2

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Prof. Layton

Chance - 0.5% - I'm highly skeptical of anyone coming from any third party, and Layton is no exception. He has the history with Nintendo, but that's not enough to overcome the ballot in my opinion.

Want - 70% - He's a worthy third party in my eyes. He'd be my preferred puzzle-based problem-fighter, over Phoenix, though I'm not connected to him personally.

DLC Custom moves Prediction - 49.87% - I haven't a clue.

Nominations
New Palutena's Guidance X3
Anna (FE) X2

Top Bottom