• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I know Cloud and Sora are more Sony icons than they are Nintendo icons. But having either of them in Smash would benefit SE more than having an obscure character with only one major appearance. And Nintendo working on SMRPG doesn't make Geno more likely pick for SE rep.
How on earth does Nintendo's involvement in Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars not make characters from that game more likely?

Square Enix does not necessarily reserve any right to tell Nintendo whom they wish to put in Smash (especially for advertising schemes). They only have the right to tell Nintendo no, which in this case they will likely let Geno rot.

Last edited:
How on earth does Nintendo's involvement in Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars not make characters from that game more likely?
I meant more likely compared to the more iconic SE characters. And many Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy characters have also appeared in Mario games.

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I meant more likely compared to the more iconic SE characters. And many Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy characters have also appeared in Mario games.
Which Mario game and what characters are we talking about here O.o... Fortune street?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Geno
Chance - 2%
A one-off character owned by another company. I seriously doubt Nintendo would want to go through the trouble of acquiring this character.

Want - 0%
A one-off character owned by another company. There are other major Mario characters I'd much rather have over Geno, and there are certainly other third party characters I'd rather have. Mallow's better anyway

Prediction:
Ivysaur and Squirtle - 30%
They could happen, sure.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Now these emails were probably by nobodies first of all
2nd in smrpg nintendo and square DO both own characters.

Nintendo owns mario and peach etc
square owns geno.

And you changed the first email. In the email they said they dont support the GAME. Not the CHARACTER. You cant change something your quoting. Because the context changes from clearly being about the game being on the VC it becomes a character.
The email was clearly a cut and paste because it called it a game instead of geno which is why it refernces the problem of multiple ips. And its the same situation as dk64. They cant just put smrpg because nintendo doesnt own all the rights and square cant just tell them to put it on because they "do not support the game"

Square can use geno whenever they want. They just dont want to or mlss wouldnt say that geno was owned by square
how do you know if they was by nobody? its from square enix support team center
i dont think they were talking about mario peach etc in the massage because the main question was who owns "geno"

square enix cant use geno outside of nintendo console because this is "mario character" they can use geno but there is a limit also nintendo already used Geno in super mario-kun comics without needing square so they are still able to use it

Laniv

Smash Lord
♥♪!?:

Chance: 12%
Geno, the crown jewel of pre-Brawl speculation. It's actually kind of sad to see him fall so hard.

Want: 3%
Meh.

Prediction for Squirtle and Ivysaur: 50% Chance, 70% Want

Nominate Chibi-Robo x 5

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

To be honest, I wanted to nominate him in the last RTC because I thought his score was inflated (yes, I find that 2% is inflated for this guy) and I will show why.

Geno
Chance:
0%

I don't think that he has any chance in hell for these key reasons.
  1. While he was highly demanded in Brawl (probably because of Sakurai mentioning him as an interesting request and nothing more), his popularity and requests died down during 4 speculation. I didn't see as much support for him as I did for Bowser Jr. and Rosalina, who are already in the game. Now, I see a lot more requests for Daisy and Captain Toad.
  2. He is a highly irrelevant Mario character. How irrelevant? His last appearance was as a cameo in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Hell, he didn't even appear in Mario Sports Mix or Mario Hoops 3-on-3, Mario games made by Square and feature other Square characters.
  3. The fan demand for Cloud and Sora didn't help them get in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. Why is this relevant, you ask? This shows how strict Square Enix is. They don't like giving out their properties to other companies, and I doubt that will change now.
  4. If Nintendo approached Square Enix to put in a character, Square wouldn't agree with Geno and I doubt that Nintendo would pursue Geno. Square would maybe request for Lightning or maybe even Cloud. These two characters have close-to-no relationship with Nintendo, but you can't deny that they are more marketable than Geno. There are also popular Dragon Quest characters that Nintendo might not overlook if they were to request a character, like Slime. And, in terms of Mario characters, Captain Toad, Daisy, and even Assist Trophy Waluigi would be more marketable and would give Nintendo more profit than Geno would.
  5. Square Enix has more of a relationship with Sony than Nintendo. That doesn't seem to be changing any time soon.
  6. Sakurai mentioned that third party characters need to be legends who are in leagues of their own. Is this irrelevant character legendary? Should we place him alongside Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man?
  7. Geno has a lot of stiff competition in terms of third parties. It's hard for him to get passed the demand for characters like Snake, Banjo, Bomberman, Simon Belmont, Rayman, and even indy characters like Shantae and Shovel Knight.
Overall, I say that Geno has a mountain of problems that makes it quite clear to me that he won't be playable.

Want: -100% (0%)
Let me ask something... why was he so requested? I understand the love for a game... but to be one of the most requested for Brawl? Really? During Brawl speculation, I had no idea who the hell this guy was and, during some research, I found that Geno only had one game under his belt. Why should he get in before Sonic? Or Mega Man? Or Bomberman? And even the Mario characters, why should he get in before Bowser Jr.?
If we were to rate him during the Brawl days, I would rate him pretty low even still. He has too much competition and too much going against him than for him.
Now, I never played SMRPG and I am not interested in getting it so I lack a connection with Geno admittedly. I am just really against him because I find the fact that it would be insulting if he got in before other 3rd parties and other Mario characters.
To quote what @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad said, his name describes my feelings for him.
Gee, no.

Squirtle Prediction: 7.07%
Ivysaur Prediction: 7.45%

Ivysaur will do slightly better because he is a grass Pokemon.

Nominations: Music DLC 5x

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I know Cloud and Sora are more Sony icons than they are Nintendo icons. But having either of them in Smash would benefit SE more than having an obscure character with only one major appearance. And Nintendo working on SMRPG doesn't make Geno more likely pick for SE rep.
Sora is owned by Disney.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Geno

Chance - 0% - I doubt he's popular enough to pull it off. Chances are, Square would instead insist on another charater and not even give him the time of day. He's doomed.

Want - 10% - Can't think of a good reason to like him.

Predictions

Squirtle - 5.67%

Ivysaur - 6.25%

In Charizard's shadow...

Nominations

New Palutena's Guidances X3
Anna (FE) X2

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
I think a role for Geno in a Mario & Luigi RPG would get more supporters in, even better when he gets a carreer like Fawful, who currently has more appearances and more popularity than Geno.

Or Starlow could return and tell her "real" name. O.O
Starlow isn't her real name ? :o
Forgive my ignorence, I only knew her from Dream Team ^^'

But yeah, if Geno and Mallow could come back in an Mario & Luigi RPG game, it'll help them to get known better, and maybe, be loved better (seriously, today is negative score day...Sadly for us ;v; Btw, edited my score-post with the best I could manage in a short time x3)

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Once again, if your Smashbaords flavor background is too dark to read today's text easily, please highlight the text as you go, with a TTS program recommended for more efficient reading.

Character Chance Ratings

1: Ryu - 97.7%
1: Roy - 97.7%
2: Wolf - 97.5%
3: Rayman - 60%
4: Snake - 55%
5: Inkling - 50%
6: Sceptile - 45%
6: Krystal - 45%
7: Paper Mario: 44.5%

8: Dixie Kong - 43%
9: Wonder Red - 40%
10: Impa - 40.5%
11: Simon Belmont - 35%
12: Ice Climbers - 30%

12: Captain Toad - 30%
13: Chorus Kids - 27.5%

14: Magolor - 25%
15: Henry Fleming - 25.7%
16: Quote - 21.5%
17: Phoenix Wright - 20%
17: Shovel Knight - 20%
18: Shantae - 20.5%
19: Tetra - 20.3%

20: Midna & Wolf Link - 10%
21: Lip - 10.5%
22: Geno - 7%
23: Ray - 5%
23: Pichu - 5%
24: Daisy - 5.7%
25: Ridley - 5.5%
-: Squirtle - ?.?%

-: Ivysaur - ?.?%

Character Want Ratings

1: Shovel Knight - 100%
1: Wolf - 100%
2: Simon Belmont - 90.5%
2: Sceptile - 90.5%
3: Shantae - 87%
4: Wonder Red - 86.5%

5: Snake - 85%
5: Impa - 85%
6: Magolor - 85.5%

7: Ice Climbers - 80%
8: Chorus Kids - 80.5%
9: Ryu - 60%
9: Paper Mario: 60%
10: Midna & Wolf Link - 60.5%
11: Phoenix Wright - 55%
12: Ridley - 50%
13: Inkling - 30%
14: Henry Fleming - 30.5%

15: Rayman - 25%
16: Quote - 23%

17: Krystal - 20%
17: Dixie Kong - 20%
18: Tetra - 20.5%

19: Geno - 10.5%
19: Roy - 10.5%
20: Lip - 5.7%

21: Captain Toad - 5.5%
22: Ray - 4.5%
23: Pichu - 1%
23: Daisy - 1%

-: Squirtle - ?.?%
-: Ivysaur - ?.?%

Concept Chance Ratings

1: DLC Alternate Costumes - 85%
2: Any NPC Becomes Playable - 65.7%

Concept Want Ratings
1: DLC Alternate Costumes - 100%
2: Any NPC Becomes Playable - 50.5%

Abstains (Inactivity)

King K. Rool
Banjo-Kazooie
Isaac
Bandana Dee

Abtsains (Indifference)

Ninten
RATINGS

Heart Cleft!? or... Geno

Chance - 7%: Ah, Geno, the character who exploded in the Brawl era. n extremely unlikely character who has somehow persisted in some form through the Smash 4 speculation era on to post release. Any worth he has as a unique fighter is trumped by his licensing difficulties and exaggerated demand purported from his fanbase in annoyingly copious amounts.

First, let's take a look at where Geno comes from. He was a one-time party member in Super Mario RPG, which was developed by Square-Enix. Geno and Mallow were the two OCs made specifically for the game, who happen to be property of Square-Enix as a result. Both of them have had their chances to reappear in Mario Hoops 3-on-3 and Mario Sports Mix only to be passed up for the more iconic Final Fantasy classic characters. Even Fortune Street could've got this through along with the Dragon Quest cast. Hypothetically, if Square-Enix were to get a character into Smash, Final Fantasyi would make the most sense by legacy and demand. Hopefully just not a wangsty philistine like Cloud or poster babe Lightning. Gods, modern Final Fantasy feels like a poser metal cliche storm of the photorealsitic anime aesthetic the series pioneered for just about all JRPGs midway through the earlier entries.

What I'm about to say may come off as "muh relevancy", but Geno's chances are severely hampered by his one-game wonder status combined with how he's pretty much treated as a fairly-obscure, forgotten relic of decades past. He does not have the consistency to match up to more recurrent darkhorses like Waluigi, Toad, or even Daisy. Who are already easier to implement by virtue of copyright and make a bigger splash in their series. Geno comes from one game in a Mario genre spinoff and that's it. I haven't seen the character having a huge following until Brawl for some reason and his fanbase quickly picked up King. K. Rool levels of vocallness.

It astounds me how durable Geno's supporters are, as he's been at least a Top 20 stickler in straw polls for the Smash Ballot. Whether or not this substantial amount of supporters can surmount the legal hell Geno's in.

Want - 10.5%: Geno is one of those characters who's impressions have been mared for me because of his frankly annoying fanbase. Whenever this starsend savior comes to mind, I conjure up memories of "that one character everyone wants for Smash but will never happen". His importance feels so forced I am a bit weary of him I'm sure I'll play or watch through Super Mario RPG to get a better idea of his character.

Now, I put my want score slightly higher because Geno wouldn't actually be that bad of a character. He's got uniqueness out of the bag, essentially being a possessed doll concealing tons of ballistic weapons within him and surrealist Mario flair in his projectiles, such as fiery fists as tank fire. He's even got a kit of some nifty star spells. You can even reference Super Mario RPG's input mechanics by having him do more damage by timing button attacks correctly.

Yet in all of this, the reach Nintendo would have to go just to secure this character doesn't feel warranted when there are other Nintendo characters who can provide something of what he has. Like, why should I want Geno for an input function when the Chorus Kids could do way more with it?

PREDICTION

Squirtle
Chance - 4.05%
Want - 20.43%

Ivysaur

Chance - 4.07%
Want - 20.46%

NOMINATIONS

*Concept: (Shin) Megami Tensei Character (includes Persona & Devil Survivor) x2
*Concept: Smash 5 has 10 Year Wait Cycle x2
*Concept: No DLC Characters After Fighter Ballot x1

Last edited:
Sora is owned by Disney.
Isn't Sora owned by both Square-Enix and Disney? I just used him as an example of a character that would be better and more iconic Square-Enix rep for Smash than obscure Geno, though Slime would probably have been a better example (being completely owned by SE and having more games on Nintendo consoles than Cloud and Sora).

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Geno
Chance: 5% - pretty low unfortunatelly. There is no need to list all the copyright issues and the fact that the character comes from a spinoff and never returned, outside of a cameo.
But, there is a very solid fanbase; during the wait of Brawl, Geno was the most requested character, and even now he's still one of the top requested.

Want: 100% - He's one of my favorite characters; likely or not, if I have the chance to support him, I support. After all, the ballot is up for allowing people to suggest their favorite characters, not to help Sakurai to decide what character is more important to a franchise.

Prediction:
Squirtle 5%
Ivisaur 5%

Nominate:
Karate Joe x5

EDIT:
I wanted to vote for Lip too, but I skipped the day unfortunatelly.
I don't know if I'm allowed to vote now, but my vote would have been:

Chance: 15%
Want: 80%

I hope this will help to bust up her want value a bit, that's surprisingly already higher than what I expected anyway.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Starlow isn't her real name ? :o
Forgive my ignorence, I only knew her from Dream Team ^^'

But yeah, if Geno and Mallow could come back in an Mario & Luigi RPG game, it'll help them to get known better, and maybe, be loved better (seriously, today is negative score day...Sadly for us ;v; Btw, edited my score-post with the best I could manage in a short time x3)
No, I was suggesting Starlow could be Geno without his doll possesion.

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
Geno

Chance: 0%
Want: 0%
The whole Geno support is one of the most random and bandwagoning (is that a word?) character ever. Anyone believing he has even the slightest chance is very delusional

Squirtle: 33%
Ivysaur: 33%

Nominations:
N x5

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Let me just say that it doesn't really matter if the character is a bandwagon, that only benefits them in the long run into getting considered for a ballot character, NebulaWords summed it pretty well here.
* And most important point : ALL SUGGESTED CHARACTER ARE TAKEN IN ACCOUNT :
Have they said anything about 3rd party characters having less chance than 1st or 2nd ones ? Have they said that some type of characters will be rejected immediatly ? What a lot seem to forget is they said :
"We will take each character in consideration". While it doesn't say that each one will have a spot, it doesn't say that there a specific character that should be suggested. (Well, they said "Video Game characters" *squints at Shrek and Goku fans*)
The Smash Ballot isn't a competition where the most voted one will have a spot. There will be several character who will be chosen. (As some thinks, at least 5 will have a spot)
It's where WE get to chose for a character WE WANT. Not about who has the MOST CHANCE getting in.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
@ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad I think you're being over-critical with Super Mario RPG. :p
Quite possibly actually Blue. I may have unfairly slighted the SMRPG. In all fairness it's a pretty good RPG, especially for the time.

I do personally prefer both Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi as Mario RPGs, but SMRPG is by no means a bad game.
I just don't think it deserves a character all to itself.

Supporting Geno feels like supporting Ray the Flying Squirrel for a Sonic and Sega All Stars game; yes he technically qualifies, but he's still one of the most minor characters in the most popular series of that companies IPs, and there's so many more other All Stars who made more of a splash than him.

Again; when Geno and Mallow appear in Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, or one of the SQUARE made Mario party games, for which there's little excuse for him NOT to appear, and then I'll be a lot warmer towards his Smash fanbase.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ray the Flying Squirrel isn't from the most memorable Mario RPG though. :p
And he's not minor with his role in SMRPG.
Ah, but similarly Ray the Flying Squirrel did not have a minor role in Sonic Arcade, the one game he had a major role in. He was a playable character on equal footing with the main character. As was Geno.

Said game is a spinoff from the main series. Same as Geno's game.

Many years later Ray then made a very minor cameo in Sonic Generations. Same as Geno making a very minor cameo in Superstar Saga.

They kind of are the same position and history wise.
Ray is to Sonic what Geno is to Mario; a one time spinoff ally with equal billing in that singular game who made a cameo many years later and was never seen or used again.

Also is SMRPG the most memorable Mario RPG? I'm honestly not sure. It's the only Mario RPG that didn't turn into a series, so I guess in that way there's no other games from the same series muddling with it.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Geno 0%

Nope mario rpg is ancient history and geno has not had a game ever since.

Want 70%

It would be swell for them to get in.

Nominations.

Viridi 10x

Prediction

Squirtle 15%
Ivysaur 17%

For a total of 32% chance.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Ah, but similarly Ray the Flying Squirrel did not have a minor role in Sonic Arcade, the one game he had a major role in. He was a playable character on equal footing with the main character. As was Geno.

Said game is a spinoff from the main series. Same as Geno's game.

Many years later Ray then made a very minor cameo in Sonic Generations. Same as Geno making a very minor cameo in Superstar Saga.

They kind of are the same position and history wise.
Ray is to Sonic what Geno is to Mario; a one time spinoff ally with equal billing in that singular game who made a cameo many years later and was never seen or used again.
Yeah, but was he the most remembered and beloved character in the game he starred in? That's likely the main difference between Ray and Geno.

Also is SMRPG the most memorable Mario RPG? I'm honestly not sure. It's the only Mario RPG that didn't turn into a series, so I guess in that way there's no other games from the same series muddling with it.
If the Rawest Forest music video and the many MANY remixes of Forest Maze aren't any indication and the critical reception the game got isn't any indication, then I don't know what is.

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Geno: the useless concurrence to Daisy, Captain Toad, Paper :4mario: and even Waluigi (even with his AT role).
(To me, Geno = "Gee, no!")

Chance: I would say 0%
Square Enix owns him, and they have much more iconic characters like Black/White Mage or Chocobo from FF (Final Fantasy), or the Slime from DQ (Dragon Quest). I wouldn't say he has a chance as either a 1st-party, 2nd-party or 3rd-party character.

Want: 0%
Over-requested, over-loved and over-exaggerated, so no (same than :4greninja: except for the 1st, I wouldn't want another ***in' :4greninja:).

Predictions:
:squirtle:: 50% (Would want, but ***in' :4greninja: is concurrence... too bad because I would love another starter, rather than another final evolution like :4charizard: or ***in' :4greninja:... I would love if :007: had :158:, Mudkip, Piplup and especially Oshawott as alts).
:ivysaur:: 30% (Wouldn't like as much, but would be nice)

Nominations: (Daisy and Roy are already nominated or leaked respectively so...) (Pichu is already nominated)
Viridi (Kid Icarus: Uprising) (Playable newcomer) (My favorite Kid Icarus character)
Prince Fluff (:4kirby: Epic Yarn) (Playable newcomer) (My favorite :4kirby: character)
Emolga (Pokemon Black/White) (Playable newcomer) (One of my favorite pokemons... Plus, I needed someone to counter :4greninja:'s appearance)
Snake (Metal Gear Solid) (Returning veteran) (My Brawl main, re-ratable)
King Boo (:4luigi:'s Mansion and many :4mario: spin-offs) (playable newcomer or stage boss on :4luigi:'s Mansion stage) (my second favorite character from the Mario series. Second only to the great Daisy)
Same exact nominations EVERY TIME UNTIL ONE OF THEM GETS ITS DAY! (I will then choose another character instead of the one who got its day)

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Sora is owned by Disney.
Isn't Sora owned by both Square-Enix and Disney? I just used him as an example of a character that would be better and more iconic Square-Enix rep for Smash than obscure Geno, though Slime would probably have been a better example (being completely owned by SE and having more games on Nintendo consoles than Cloud and Sora).
Nope, Sora is fully owned by Disney. "©Disney Developed by SQUARE ENIX" this statement( which can be found on the main webpage of Kingdom Hearts and on the case of every KH game) shows that SE only takes credit for developing the game, not owning it. Couple this with the fact that Disney made a game called KH V-cast, a title which SE was never involved with and was never credited for( as in, they weren't credited for anything in the game), and you've got definitive proof that Disney is the sole owner of Sora.
Here's a link to the game I'm talking about:http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts_V_CAST

If Nintendo approached Square Enix to put in a character, Square wouldn't agree with Geno and I doubt that Nintendo would pursue Geno. Square would maybe request for Lightning or maybe even Cloud. These two characters have close-to-no relationship with Nintendo, but you can't deny that they are more marketable than Geno. There are also popular Dragon Quest characters that Nintendo might not overlook if they were to request a character, like Slime. And, in terms of Mario characters, Captain Toad, Daisy, and even Assist Trophy Waluigi would be more marketable and would give Nintendo more profit than Geno would.
Square Enix has more of a relationship with Sony than Nintendo. That doesn't seem to be changing any time soon.
You're kidding, right? You're claiming that they wouldn't let him join because he wouldn't be more marketable than other characters? Smash bros. has allowed several characters that were considerably less marketable than other potential fighters for the roster before( examples include; Mr.Game&Watch, Ice Climbers, Roy, Pit, R.O.B, and Duck Hunt Dog).
You believe SE would rather let characters from their most popular franchises join even though it's practically agreed that they're extremely stingy with their IPs? There's no way they'd ever request their most popular characters, especially if it's common knowledge that they( most likely) wouldn't let those characters join even if Nintendo made a request for them. If Nintendo would ask for Geno, then they'd only be talking about Geno.Unless you can show me about 4-5 games that SE and Sony collaborated on, you can't just casually claim that they have more of a relationship together than SE does with Nintendo.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Yeah, but Paper Mario doesn't have the catchy up-beat music and engaging experience that made SMRPG a very fun game to play. It still has good music though.

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Geez, how many made the joke "Gee no" :u

Welp, I'm guessing the want score and chance score is going to be low. Because people don't want to look beyond the "Gee no, he's owned by Square Enix, no chance for him. Even Goomba or Slime would be a better choice. (Really ?)"
And I don't find it fair, I mean, each to their own opinion but heck, Pichu is getting a better score than Geno. Pichu of all of them ! :/

I'm not expecting you all to go "Ohhh look at these fans, let's pat them on their back and give them a slighter better score so they shut up." but can you guys please give more argument than the generic one I find ? There's only a few negative post that gives more than you do. :I
Ah well, Smashboard isn't all the Smash fans in the world. I think I can find more support elsewhere. At least it's less depressing than here <<

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
You're kidding, right? You're claiming that they wouldn't let him join because he wouldn't be more marketable than other characters? Smash bros. has allowed several characters that were considerably less marketable than other potential fighters for the roster before( examples include; Mr.Game&Watch, Ice Climbers, Roy, Pit, R.O.B, and Duck Hunt Dog).
You believe SE would rather let characters from their most popular franchises join even though it's practically agreed that they're extremely stingy with their IPs? There's no way they'd ever request their most popular characters, especially if it's common knowledge that they( most likely) wouldn't let those characters join even if Nintendo made a request for them. If Nintendo would ask for Geno, then they'd only be talking about Geno.Unless you can show me about 4-5 games that SE and Sony collaborated on, you can't just casually claim that they have more of a relationship together than SE does with Nintendo.
A 3rd-party rep MUST be from a big series that gave them a lot of money (and not JUST ONE GAME AND A FRIGGIN' MINOR CAMEO!). Examples being :4megaman:, :4pacman:, :4sonic:/:sonic: and :snake:.

Welp, I'm guessing the want score and chance score is going to be low. Because people don't want to look beyond the "Gee no, he's owned by Square Enix, no chance for him. Even Goomba or Slime would be a better choice. (Really ?)"
And I don't find it fair, I mean, each to their own opinion but heck, Pichu is getting a better score than Geno. Pichu of all of them ! :/

I'm not expecting you all to go "Ohhh look at these fans, let's pat them on their back and give them a slighter better score so they shut up." but can you guys please give more argument than the generic one I find ? There's only a few negative post that gives more than you do. :I
Ah well, Smashboard isn't all the Smash fans in the world. I think I can find more support elsewhere. At least it's less depressing than here <<
... you're still supporting him? WE'RE CLEARLY DOING "PHOENIX WRIGHT"-TYPE DEBATES THAT HE CAN'T GET IN, YET YOU STILL SUPPORT HIM?! ... Well, you must be one kind of a fanboy. At least, :pichumelee: is cute, an attribute that "Gee no" doesn't have. (like :4greninja:, people think Geno's "cool", because of his weapons, when he's clearly not! :4metaknight: and Proto Man are cooler, and have better reasons to be, like being mysterious, and having a mask or sunglasses respectively).
Also, Smashboards is smart, an attribute that can't be given to more social, less "Smash specified" sites like Facebook or Twitter.
So, Geno is still "Gee, no".

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Well, to be fair, Pichu is at least owned by Nintendo. And is a veteran with some demand.

Yeah, but Paper Mario doesn't have the catchy up-beat music and engaging experience that made SMRPG a very fun game to play. It still has good music though.
I disagree, but all this really comes down to personal opinion.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

For me, yes.
As I've played the games Goombas are in and not the one Geno's in.

Well, he has been playable in a Smash game before and is owned by Nintendo.

(P)owned by Square, while a generic one, is a factor that puts a big damper on Geno's chances.
Same with the fact he only appeared once, in a Mario RPG.

And to be honest: The pro-arguments for Geno are just as generic (Popularity and Moveset potential)

Replies in Blue again.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
... you're still supporting him? WE'RE CLEARLY DOING "PHOENIX WRIGHT"-TYPE DEBATES THAT HE CAN'T GET IN, YET YOU STILL SUPPORT HIM?! ... Well, you must be one kind of a fanboy. At least, :pichumelee: is cute, an attribute that "Gee no" doesn't have. (like :4greninja:, people think Geno's "cool", because of his weapons, when he's clearly not! :4metaknight: and Proto Man are cooler, and have better reasons to be, like being mysterious, and having a mask or sunglasses respectively).
Also, Smashboards is smart, an attribute that can't be given to more social, less "Smash specified" sites like Facebook or Twitter.
So, Geno is still "Gee, no".
Yup, despite all your negativy, I'm still supporting him. :p (And I'll support him until the end~)
And that's fangirl (my hating friend !), thank you very much ;p

You call this a "Pheonix Wright" debate ? I would call it more "Hater-Fans" debate in my opinion.
I won't argue your vision of "cool" characters. In mine, he is. We have personal reasons why we think that way. uvu
I guess we find Greninja cool 'cause he's a ninja. As for Geno, it's more his "Star Possessed Doll Gunner" part.
I find Pichu cute too ! I have nothing against him. Heck, bring Pichu back Nintendo ! I wouldn't mind much. As I said, I'm more in the troller side for Pichu (Hmmm tears, my favorite drink ewe *shot* Ok I'm going too far there-- xD)

Well, to be fair, Pichu is at least owned by Nintendo. And is a veteran with some demand.
True, Pichu have more chance because he was a veteran. But didn't Sakurai hate Pichu ? He was given a pretty bad description on his trophy if I recall. (And again, same thing, Geno is not only owned by Square Enix. Nintendo still have his part too.)

Replies in Blue again.
* For me, yes.
As I've played the games Goombas are in and not the one Geno's in. I've never played Super Mario RpG... I wasn't born when it came out ! And I haven't heard of Geno until no later than last year ! Heck, I haven't given the chance to play his game *sob* As I fail to see how Goomba could fit as a fighter, even as a better one than him, I won't say much about it. But again, not because he only got one game under his belt means it's going to doom him.

* Well, he has been playable in a Smash game before and is owned by Nintendo. *points previous replay*

* (P)owned by Square, while a generic one, is a factor that puts a big damper on Geno's chances.
Same with the fact he only appeared once, in a Mario RPG.

And to be honest: The pro-arguments for Geno are just as generic (Popularity and Moveset potential)
Oh I know Square is a ***** when it comes to characters rights. I know it's one of the big problems for Geno. But I think Legal issues are not going to be a problem, I mean, why would Nintendo do a Smash Ballot if they are not going to pay for characters rights ? Though they haven't said it out loud, they said that we can ask for who we want. I don't think there's only Nintendo characters in the ballot...
And yeah, I'll admit, most of my argument may come from the true Geno fans. I say "true" because, as I said, I'm only a recent Geno fan. I don't consider myself as true. More a Geno support kind of fan. I mean, these people have been asking for him for so long, I would be happy if they get their wish. I just find it sad that he got a lot of hate (to be honest, I'm surprised of today's rating. I didn't expect many to rate him with 0% so much...)

Alright, I'll leave it to there. I'll just hope he won't get a really bad score. Hopefully the few positive ones will help. See you tomorow for the Starters duo !

Last edited:

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Geno
Chance: 1% I never got the reasons for him. 3rd party, 1 game, what more needs to be said.
Want: 0% No thank you.

Predictions:
Squirtle: 25%
Ivysaur: 25%

Chibi-Robo x5

Nope, Sora is fully owned by Disney. "©Disney Developed by SQUARE ENIX" this statement( which can be found on the main webpage of Kingdom Hearts and on the case of every KH game) shows that SE only takes credit for developing the game, not owning it. Couple this with the fact that Disney made a game called KH V-cast, a title which SE was never involved with and was never credited for( as in, they weren't credited for anything in the game), and you've got definitive proof that Disney is the sole owner of Sora.
Here's a link to the game I'm talking about:http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts_V_CAST
Okay, I didn't know that Disney completely owns Sora and other KH characters. However, even without KH characters Square-Enix has still many other options for Smash (if it ever gets a character), so Geno has to compete with many Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and other Square-Enix's characters that are more important to SE than Geno. Some FF and DQ characters even have more appearances on Mario games than Geno. Giving him over 5% chance score is overrating, let alone giving him chance score of 30% (higher than Ice Climbers, Captain Toad, Rayman, Snake..., seriously?).

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
[quote="NebulaWords, post: 19230051, member: 303690"

True, Pichu have more chance because he was a veteran. But didn't Sakurai hate Pichu ? He was given a pretty bad description on his trophy if I recall. (And again, same thing, Geno is not only owned by Square Enix. Nintendo still have his part too.)

[/quote]

I wouldn't say Sakurai hated Pichu...

Pichu was deliberately destined to be a joke character who has no competitive value, and the trophy admits as much. The trophy bassicly says "Yeah, Pichu's a horrible fighter. Pick her if you want to handicap yourself in a fight, and rely on your speed to stay out of sight to pick up items."

Don't quote me on this, but I think she was chosen after a suggestion by one of the Pokemon directors when the team was looking for clones (likely Junichi Masuda, who admitted Pichu was his favorite Pokemon until Victini). Sakurai saw a chance to make a joke character as something interesting for the roster, as Jigglypuff was intended until they discovered hidden potential. I remember reading something to that effect from a translation of the official Melee Website.

Also, while I wasn't aware of his semi-third party status, if anything, it just makes the situation worse. At best, it just makes him another third party with a licence to overcome. At worst, with both Nintendo and Square having some stake in how they want him portrayed, they get into disagreements that take forever to settle. It's loose-loose, no matter how you look at it.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Geno
Chance: 1.1%
Not going to happen before other characters more prominent in the Mario franchise, and that's probably the least of his problems. I'll give the Star Road warrior a small chance of 1.1%.
Some characters exist only to be a pipe dream...

Want: 5%
I guess it would be cool to see him make it, but I'm not all that concerned.

Predictions - Squirtle: 12.4%, Ivysaur: 14.8%

Nominations:
x5 Toon Zelda

Top Bottom