• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
It's kinda sad knowing that some people just doesn't care about the Ice Climbers if they are not a team, that they just want the unique, different and weird playstyle and not the actual characters
Poor Popo and Nana :crying:
@ Chalo5000 Chalo5000 : Maybe so, but I still could see him changing his mind if they get enough votes. I don't think he'd make 3DS exclusive DLC just to make up for it, particularly since he wouldn't have a good excuse like technical limitations.
Just because Sakurai changed his mind before it doesn't mean he will change all of his statements :ohwell:
Try not to judge Sakurai for what he did, but for what he is doing NOW
But to be serious, I'd accept them as an alt. They're still Ice Climbers after all. And that's what matters to me.
THIS

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Ice Climbers

Chance: 60%

-Depends on if they want to continue to work on them or not and if they get overwhelming fan demand I feel Sakurai's team can make them work.

Want: 70%

-The roster just feels so cold and weird without them.

Sceptile Prediction: 20%

Nominations: Wonder Red x5

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ice Climbers

Chance: 50%

It's a tossup right now. If Sakurai can find a solution to the 3DS problem, then they'll be in the game for sure. If not, their going to be cut for good (unless they return in Smash 5).

Want: 90%

I'd love for the IC's to return to the series. While they weren't my mains in any Smash game, they had a really fun moveset that was really enjoyable and i'm a kind of guy that likes to see all vets return to Smash.

Nomination: Roy X5

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Y'alll just need to cool off...

:popo:Ice Climbers:icsmelee:

Well another situation where things are a little hazy when it comes to a character's chances. Sakurai wanted to put them in, had issues with the 3DS, then decided to cut them altogether to keep things consistent on both platforms. With the addition of DLC Sakurai does indeed have the opportunity to try to work out the kinks to try and get them in. But is he going to bother? Well so far we got 2 confirmed veterans from melee and brawl respectively, as well as a rumoured Roy, and a more than likely Wolf to come back...Ice Climbers seem to be in a decent position given their veteran status.
Sakurai knows that people want them, and there's no doubt that they are getting some support in the ballot. But is he willing to put forth the effort to get things sorted on the 3DS? I think chances are very likely that he will at least try, they were sort of abandoned due to not being a priority over other characters who have games in the works, but Lucas is part of a franchise that has seemingly come to an end and he's coming back as DLC. Overall there's still a lot of speculation in the air and there's still uncertainty. Maybe we will get a Solo Ice Climber, to me that kinda ruins the unique quality they had but at the same time transformations were removed, which is something that made Zelda/Sheik unique as characters. Some people may complain about the Ice Climbers exclusion and bring up Rosalina and Luma but remember the player's controls over Luma are more limited than the way the Ice Climbers are literally two characters being controlled at the same time...It's not like we got two Rosalina's on the field... I'm gonna spilt the difference because quite frankly I feel that is how the situation is, both good and bad...[edit: almost forgot their icons y u no hav nana icon?]

Want: 95%
Guys, getting Popo with Nana as an Alt is more likely than getting the Ice Climbers as a team
What would you prefer, having Popo with Nana as an alt?
Or not having anything?
I would choose nothing over getting a solo Ice Climber, one thing that made the Ice Climber'S' such a unique addition to the Smash roster was their teamwork. Their attacks were more effective, their recovery was more effective and overall they were more charming given their teamwork. It is unfortunate that they got cut to begin with as they were one of my most used characters in melee (I sort of ventured away from them in Brawl) and they were very fun to use...It would not be the same with just one as it feels like having just half of the character...
I didn't give them 100% simply because I didn't use them as much in Brawl so when they were cut it didn't hurt me as much as other more loyal users to the characters. But the roster feels empty without them (both)...

Prediction: 16.5%
Sceptile

Looking forward to this topic, votes are going to be somewhat low due to Mewtwo's inclusion, but there may be some optimism amoung fans. Sceptile is definitely the best choice for a newcomer for pokemon because of ORAS and his new mega form as well as being quite popular due to his role in the anime. Plus completing the grass-fire-water trifecta that's going on...but the question is will we get another pokemon? and if so will it be a newcomer?

Nominations:
Concept: NPC's become Playable x5

Last edited:

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Just because Sakurai changed his mind before it doesn't mean he will change all of his statements :ohwell:
Try not to judge Sakurai for what he did, but for what he is doing NOW
I'm not saying that he will. But he's demonstrated an open mind. In fact, were I to judge him by what he's doing now, I would take everything with a grain of salt. It's the trend. Besides, there's that other thing he said about "making fans happy." I think that if he thought fans would be happy with Wii U only Ice Climbers, he might overrule his identical rosters statement.

Another thing to point out is that he said that when the only DLC under consideration was Mewtwo. He hasn't stated that all DLC would be for both platforms. Granted, that's nitpicking his exact words, but I don't think it's a big stretch.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Alright, Ice Climbers!

Prediction: 33%. It's all about if Sakurai can get them to work for the 3DS or not. I absolutely would never believe that he would make them a Wii U exclusive. Doing so would just piss A LOT of people off, and I believe Sakurai is smart enough to know that...

Want: 100%. While there series have no future, Ice Climbers have always been the most adorable fighter and are greatly missed. I definitely want to see them back.

Sceptile prediction: 17.6%. Sceptile has everything going for him... except that we already have a tad too many pokemon reps.

Nominations: Ray (Custom Robo) x5
Go, Ray! Get on up there!

Last edited:

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
I'm not saying that he will. But he's demonstrated an open mind. In fact, were I to judge him by what he's doing now, I would take everything with a grain of salt. It's the trend. Besides, there's that other thing he said about "making fans happy." I think that if he thought fans would be happy with Wii U only Ice Climbers, he might overrule his identical rosters statement.

Another thing to point out is that he said that when the only DLC under consideration was Mewtwo. He hasn't stated that all DLC would be for both platforms. Granted, that's nitpicking his exact words, but I don't think it's a big stretch.
Sakurai COULD change his mind, I'm just saying that you shouldn't think that he WILL
Nobody knows how Sakurai's mind works, not even him
We should just wait and see what happens :smash:
And good night, I'm going to sleep :tired:

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
So, quick question. Would anyone have cared if the Wii U version had one or two extra characters that the 3DS did not?

The reason why they didn't makes sense, but at the same time, most people are more upset at the fact that the 3DS version held back the Wii U version. Would you have cared if the Ice Climbers were in Wii U but not 3DS?

Ice Climbers
Chances - To answer my own question, I wouldn't particularly care, but that doesn't mean Sakurai would ever break that rule. The moment he did there would be backlash. So the bigger question is can they get the ICs to work without compromising their unique duality/two-in-one character gimmick? Is the fan demand big enough to make it worth the work? Or will the their fans not speak up because they don't think they have a chance, thus creating a self-fulfilling prophecy?

They just have too many unanswered and difficult questions for me to give them a great score, but it's far from an impossibility.
I'm going to go with 35%.

Want - 40%

nominate: Black Mage x5

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I absolutely would. I would not have bought a 3DS to play Smash Bros, I would grudgingly have paid more money for a Wii U. I'd still do it, but I wouldn't be happy about it. And if they were going to have Wii U exclusive characters, they should have done that at launch. Making a Wii U exclusive character NOW after I bought a 3DS for the sole purpose of playing Smash Bros would be infuriating.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I think that my posts can imply that I don't mind the idea of Wii U exclusive DLC, but I think it would be better to maintain identical rosters since somebody would inevitably be angry about Wii U exclusive characters. But if that's the case, I don't think the Ice Climbers have much of a chance.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Ice Climbers... Before I start, I'll post my previous evaluations again.
K.Rool Chance: 87% Want: 100
Banjo & Kazooie Chance: 3% Want: 14%
Isaac Chance: 70% Want: 90%
Bandanna Dee Chance: 42% Want: 50%
Captain Toad: Abstained chance and want
Krystal Chance: 36% Want: 71%
Dixie Kong Chance: 40% Want: 43%
Impa Chance: 35% Want 79%
Shantae Chance: 10% Want 54%
Inklings Chance: 31% Want: 51%
Rayman Chance: 61% Want 89%
Snake Chance: 35% Want: 50%
Wolf Chance: 98% Want: 100%
Shovel Knight Chance: 13% Want 65%
Quote Chance 8% Want: 4%

I'm torn in half over this - I've kind of accepted them leaving and I completely understand Sakurai's decision. I'm a little uncertain about my wants and chances for them -I feel they have a very humble presence in Super Smash Bros, being series veterans since Melee, and you either love them, don't play as them that often or dislike them competitively. Their cut was extremely difficult to deal with, especially since I was so confident in their chances prior to the leak, and since then, I haven't returned to the Ice Climber thread. I'm not sure how to handle the Ice Climbers, unless they go solo, but that takes away from them being the Ice Climbers. My wants are around 40%, and their chances... I'll give 25%
Nominations: Roy X3
Ryu X2

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Ice climbers:

Want: 100%

I miss these guys, it annoys me that the 3ds version exists but hey thats what sakurai wanted to make first. It annoys me how it dragged the wii u version down, or else we'd for sure have these guys back. (yeah yeah i know about the 3ds priority situation). I hope that maybe they could somehow be in, but if they arent... obviously limitations. Not much else to say as they SHOULD be in but them limitations...unless he breaks his own rule, which im sorta hoping for... could go either way with these chaingrabbing (r.i.p.) goofballs.

Sceptile prediction: 30%

Noms: Roy x5 (I see he's not frozen)

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers

Chance: 80%

Want: 90%

I think many of us are going to be shocked here. Out of all the characters, Ice Climbers have the most evidence for being completed. In fact, Sakurai has said they were running perfectly on the Wii U. Evidence shows a lot of work was done on the 3DS version. Their victory theme is still in the game, and their trophy models internal number was directly placed with the fighters (specifically the melee fighters.)

"But Sakurai said they weren't working properly on 3DS!!!!11!"

That was 6 months ago. Sakurai also said the Ice Climbers were not a priority. A lot of solutions could have been figured out since then. There are many tricks they can use to water them down too.

For example, theres nothing saying they can't make a special rule on the 3DS were only 2 players can select ice climbers at once, rather than 4. Theres nothing saying the 3DS version cant have a single ice climber, where the Wii U version gets both. Theres nothing saying the Ice Climbers cant run at 30 FPS rather than 60 like the other fighters. There are sooooooo many solutions to get them working, and I'm pretty confident Sakurai has decided on one by now. Theres no way Sakurai is going to complete a fighter and then scrap all that work just because they couldn't have them ready by launch. We have evidence that at least 4 additional fighters are on the way. Two are Roy and Ryu....and I think its safe to say one will be Wolf. That leaves one mystery fighter, who I feel is Ice Climbers.

Nominate: Chorus Kids x 5

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Ice Grabbers;
Chance: 70%
Want:: 300% are you kidding me

Sakurai ditched the Ice Climbers because he said their franchise had no future, if everyone just keeps pushing we can get them back.

Nominate: Solo climber lol

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Ah, the Ice Climbers. It's about damn time!
Anyways, if you really want to see what IC supporters think, go check out the "Breaking the Ice" Ice Climbers thread! But for now:

Ice Climbers

Chance = Literally 50/50, or 50%
Basically what it comes down to is the fact that if Sakurai wants it enough, he can probably make it happen one way or another. As some have mentioned here, he... probably wouldn't make ICs Wii-U exclusive. I think he's known all along that people want the ICs to return. He might try to put tons of work into revamping (please, please do) the Ice Climbers', and optimizing them for 3DS gameplay, or perhaps he'll skip old 3DS and just release the ICs for New 3DS and Wii U players. Technically the same roster for "both," but even I know that's shady.

The most probable way the Climbers will make it in is, now that the smash team has the time (though I'm not sure it is as sizeable and powerful as it once was before) to make the ICs work for the 3DS, they will simply put the work in to make them work. But would Sakurai really want that? I mean, Rosalina and Luma made it in, and Duck Hunt Dog. Those are close enough to the ICs, right? That's what he may be thinking. Plus, what work!

Still, I believe that Sakurai is quite aware of all the people that miss the Ice Climbers. The question is whether he will console us with some more IC game elements in smash, or some new trophies, or if he'll go all-out and actually make the Ice Climbers somehow (we don't know if it's possible but there's nothing stating that it's IMpossible). The ICs are the most wanted veterans, but Sakurai never actually stated that he actually would plan on ever continuing their development.

It really is a toss-up. 50/50.

Want = 95%
They're adorable.
They're a duo.
They're the ORIGINAL duo in Smash Bros.
The way Sakurai revived their presence by including them in Smash is pretty inspiring.
They deserve a reboot of some sort anyways.
They're two HUMANS/super-ice-beings that look like Inuit people that are actually working together in Smash!
The only two-time veterans to ever be cut from Smash Bros.
Cut for a really depressing reason, even though they were pretty developed already on the Wii U.

The only reason I don't want them 100% is because if they do get in, I really want a revamped moveset that makes their grab and tech-chase game really good but not broken. No more chain-grabs, but please, some specials that are useful for tech-chasing! Also a way better recovery would be nice. Sure, let keeping the secondary Ice Climber alive be a main priority, but man, give the ICs some solid hits other than that super-slow forward air! Or idk, make them trap/combo characters without chain-grabs. No rushdown antics, but yes tech-chasing and setups that only two player-controlled characters could do. Maybe give them low damage so that they really have to nail those tech-options, but give them the tools they need in order to do so without frame-perfection or silly/broken chain-grabs.

Sceptile Prediction = 23.53%
Certainly possible and Sakurai may already be considering it... but it's also a toss-up. Just a somewhat less likely toss-up. Depends on what Sakurai's game plan is. And goodness knows what his game plan is.

Nominations:
x5 Ashley from WarioWare ;)

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Ice Climbers:

Chance: 25%

Together, I can't see them coming back. Solo, it could work, with them teaming up as a final smash or as a new special temporarily? Not getting my hopes up tho.

Want: 93%

I liked playing as them even without chain grabs. I'd like to see them again.

Sceptile predict:
Chance: 26%

Want: 49%

Nom:

3x Homecoming Hijinx song
2x Moonstruck Blossom song

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

K. Rool:
Day missed. Absent.

Banjo-Kazooie:
Chance: 9%, Want: 85%

Isaac:
Chance: 55%, Want: 75%

Bandana Dee:
Chance: 40%, Want: 100%

Captain Toad:
Chance: 45%, Want: 100%

Krystal:
Chance: 25%, Want: 50%

Dixie Kong:
Chance: 66%, Want: 100%

Impa:
Chance: 28%, Want: 100%

Shantae:
Chance: 1%, Want: 5%

Inklings:
Chance: 62%, Want: 70%

Rayman:
Chance: 33%, Want: 90%

:snake:
Day missed. Whoops.

:wolf:
Chance: 100%, Want: 80%

Shovel Knight
Chance: 0.3%, Want: 0%

Chance: 0.5%, Want: 3%

:popo:
Chance: 5%
If the Ice Climbers can overcome their 3DS hardware limitations, they're pretty much guaranteed somewhere down the line. But that's a fairly big if.
I only put their chance that high because of FancySmash's link:
"Nintendo Life reports that while this problem most likely could have been fixed it wasn't a priority for Sakurai as the Ice Climbers really didn't need promotion since there are no real plans for the "Ice Climber" franchise. Furthermore since both games share the same characters it would be unfair to only have these characters in the Wii U version and absent from the 3DS."
Source: http://www.latintimes.com/super-sma...firms-no-ice-climbers-and-explains-why-262292

Otherwise their chance rating would be a lot lower.

NEVERMIND; 8 PLAYER SMASH WITH ICE CLIMBERS WOULD BREAK THE WII U.

Also; SoPo is likely not happening. It's either Popo AND Nana or Nopo and Nada.

Want: 10%
They're unique, yes...but personally I never cared much for the Climbers, and I don't think anyone I've ever played against on a regular basis ever used them either, so I don't really miss them myself.
Even now I keep forgetting they're missing, a problem I don't have with nearly any other veteran bar the defunct Young Link.
Sceptile Prediction: 11%
With ORAS already released, I barely hear anyone asking for Sceptile anymore. Still if a grass Pokemon has to be selected for some arbitrary reason he's probably the most likely bar a returning Ivysaur.

Speaking of which...

Nominations:
3 X :ivysaur:
2 X :squirtle:
(A shame you can't split votes evenly)

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Not quite as polarizing as I expected. The Ice Climbers have a pretty warm reception so far, but how long will it stay?

...Hey, does anyone else feel a draft?

--

Ice Climbers

Chance: 20%
Popo and Nana got shafted this time around. They were originally planned to be in, as evidenced by the Ice Climber-themed content that still remains and the fact that their victory theme and crowd cheer are still in the games. But (someone correct me if I get any terms wrong) Nana's complicated AI proved too much for the 3DS' RAM to handle, and any time multiple sets of Ice Climbers were in play the game lagged to the point of unplayability. Sakurai wanted the roster to be the same in both versions, and so the duo was left off. To use a metaphor, it's as if they got injured and had to sit out this time.

But can the dev team solve the problems that held the Climbers down and rehab them in time for DLC? While it sounds easy on paper...the truth is more complicated than it seems, regardless of which option you look at. They could try to simply get Nana working in a way that doesn't overtax the 3DS...but doing so would be a time investment with an uncertain outcome. If they pulled it off, it'd be a success...but if they couldn't, they'd have a lot of wasted time on their hands with nothing to show for it. With development schedules as tight as they are, it could be too big of a blow for them to risk.

There's also another idea making the rounds: reducing them to a single Ice Climber, with Popo as half the costumes and Nana as the other half. It'd solve the very issue that prevented them from working in the 3DS version and still be a nod to their home game's single player mode. However, their nature as a duo character was their whole identity in Melee and Brawl. Not only would entire parts of their moveset have to be rewritten to work with one Climber, they'd be a hollow shell of what they once were. Not only would they not be as interesting, they wouldn't feel true to character any more...and we've seen Sakurai's worry of not being true to character be a big problem before.

Furthermore, what about Smash 5? It's almost certain the 3DS' successor will have the processing power to handle the Ice Climbers. Why would they change them now to make them DLC, knowing they'd have to change them back for the next game?

Finally, there's the third option: having them be exclusive to the Wii U version, or only available in the 3DS version to New 3DS owners. To be honest? This idea is ridiculous. Sakurai has said repeatedly that he does not want any characters exclusive to one version so that those who only own one version aren't left out. To act like he should throw that out just so one character can get special treatment!? It's...

...Okay, easy. This isn't the time or place to rant.

Can they still get in? Technically, yes. But the Ice Climbers have a real mountain to climb in order to make it, and there's no certainty there's even a path to the top to begin with.

Want: 20%
The Ice Climbers are an interesting concept that, so far, hasn't been implemented well in either of their appearances. Their duo mechanic didn't always work correctly, they had glaring issues in their moveset, and the only reason they've been high tier in two games is due to exploits that are infuriating when you're on the receiving end and have to watch helplessly as you die from getting grabbed once.

I'm not saying they can't be redeemed...I mean, of course they can. They just leave a bad taste in my mouth as it stands. Give some of these other characters a chance, and let Popo and Nana rest until the next game.

Sceptile Prediction: 18.75%
Dear Arceus above, I hope I'm low on this one. I can't shake the feeling I'm about to see another character with huge potential get marked down because someone else from the same series is already in.

Please remember, guys: the dev team doesn't think in terms of reps.

Nominations: Paper Mario x5
A character that could actually bring a lot of new ideas to the game...that unfortunately gets a lot of grief by people that assume he'd be a clone...

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers chances: 1.7%
Unfortunately I'm not optimistic about the Ice Climbers at all. I have no doubt Sakurai is aware of the backlash coming from the Smash community when we figured they were cut, and he would like to put them back in the game. However, with Lucas being confirmed as the first DLC character besides Mewtwo, and files of other characters being found in the DLC data dump, I have a feeling Sakurai just moved on and didn't want to work on them considering the risk he could take by spending time and money to make them properly work on the 3DS without too much sacrifice; if they "had the time to find a way to fix the issue" I think it would already have been solved. And if they can't find a way to make them work on the regular 3DS, I don't see them being sold as a system exclusive either considering the regular 3DS install base is the biggest one by a fair margin, which would mean less sales and as such less benefits.

That said, maybe I'll be proven wrong and they're currently being worked on, then they'll be officially revealed... at worst I think they'll come back in the next gen Smash considering how much Sakurai seems to care about cut characters.

Ice Climbers want: abstain (for now) (Edit: 18%)
Is the Mewtwo DLC already released for everyone? I checked about half an hour ago if there was an update to add Mewtwo's custom moves and there was nothing. If there's nothing, I'll now cut my want scores by 80% now, because I won't be nice with the fact that DLC characters could possibly never get custom moves, and if there's still none for Mewtwo in the next update I'll just stop caring about DLC whatsoever and stop participating to this game.

Edit: looks like Mewtwo is now available for everyone in Europe, and still no sign of an update to add his custom moves. My want scores cut now are going to be by 80% and if we still don't get them in the next update or at the very worst when Lucas is released then I'm not going to play this game anymore.

Personally I wasn't expecting or wanting the Ice Climbers to be cut before the full roster reveal for SSB4, but their cut had no strong emotional effect on me when I learned it. I think it's possibly because I saw them as novelty characters, here to have a "retro" character and a gimmick shared with no one else, but not really justifiable outside of that, and I didn't like how Nana's loss was definitive. I'm pretty indifferent to them, I can live with them staying cut, if they return then why not... except that there's most likely going to be sacrifice to get them back, like lowering Nana's AI or having them system exclusive, which would annoy me considering I still play the 3DS version for Smash Run and when I move. As such, I remove 10% from my otherwise unaltered want ranting (50%), making it effectively 40%. And because I'm still spiteful against Mewtwo's lack of custom moves and I fear everyone else after him will get the same unfair treatment I cut my want score by 80%, so 8%. And finally I give a 10% bonus regardless of my grudge against Mewtwo's lack of custom moves because I have a friend who's upset about them being cut... though I'm not sure he's aware it was due to technical issues.

Sceptile prediction: 8.87%
The bandwagon looks like it is much less prominent than during the months following Greninja's reveal... hopefully the overall chances score will reflect that.

Nominating:
Concept: DLC characters get custom moves (including Mewtwo through patching) x5

Again, I'll change my nominations if a new update is released. Guess what (didn't) happened? :c

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I guess there's little accounting for the fact that Sakurai already tried for two years to get them working. He already knows people want them. He knew that before he cut them. He could've split them up for the main game, but he didn't. Now it makes more sense to allocate resources towards other characters.

That optimism though. It's not leaving a lot of room for realism. :/

Chance: 15%

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Don't want my 3DS to Freeze: Ice Climber Chances
Chance: 0%

"Hmm, should I add the Ice Climbers who would pretty much require a rewrite of some of the fundamental programming of the game just so they can work in some respect, which in itself could cause trouble in other fields of the game? And what about WiiU? 8-player smash can't handle coin battles as it is, and since we didn't have Nana and Popo to worry about while developing this, we don't know what extra problems could be caused through this. And they're a franchise we probably won't be profiting from in the near future, so I'm not sure if they really need that much representation. "
"...Let's see who else is on the list..."

Please, guys. A bit of realism here. Ice Climbers will require a pretty substantial game change to work on regular 3DS consoles. And if you ask me, N3DS and WiiU exclusives are worse than just WiiU exclusives when it comes to characters. They don't have any chance as DLC. The Smash team won't want to rewrite fundamental game code just to give a small portion of folk Ice Climbers back. And enough of you are saying you'd be unhappy with one Ice Climber on their own, so that isn't an option either. Hell, Sakurai himself would refuse to take away half a character if he has to include it. It's all or nothing. We'll see what happens when Smash V rolls around. Here and now, they have a snowball's chance in hell. 0%.

Please understand.

Want: 55%
I have no qualms with them. I'd probably be happy to give learning them a go if they magically popped up.

Sceptile Chances Prediction: 18.67%
Pokemon is technically not Nintendo. Second party by Game Freak. Sakurai has mentioned before he has to jump through hoops to get a Pokemon in the game. While they obviously have a good rapport with Nintendo, it's another small wall.
That said; why are we adding random Pokemon now? Why Sceptile? For the Grass starter? Hell, you wanna include a Grass type, give me Ludicolo. Dancing Mexican pineapples can't be beat.

*Slips five votes for Professor Layton, twenty dollars, and a picture of Satoru Iwata with "please understand" scrawled insanely all over it into PK_Wonder PK_Wonder 's pocket*
This didn't happen, kappiche?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ice Climbers:
Chance: 12%
I'm really torn on this. If Sakurai could get them working I know he would, I'm just not sure if that's possible. And no, there's NO WAY they'll be reworked completely just to get them back in the game. I'd give 0.001% chance to reworked Ice Climbers.

Want: 50%
Honestly, I just don't care about them. I've never really liked the Ice Climbers as an addition. Others like them, though, so I support that. But personally I don't care. I don't... not want them back, I think they should. But personally I just don't care either way.

Sceptile Chances Guess: 13%
I think he'll get a decent ranking by some and be blasted by others. Sceptile does not seem to be getting a lot of feedback through online polls or anything and is barely brought up at all.

Nominations Lip x5

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Ice Climbers:

Chance: Both - 5%, One - 35%

Yeah, that low. I don't know why people are sleeping on the fact that Nintendo has made it clear that they wish to support the 3DS release and that the 3DS couldn't handle them. There's also speculation about troubles with 8 player smash's ability to handle them. Then there's the chance that they go Olimar/Alph with them, but then nobody will enjoy them as much without their signature style. I genuinely think they're a character that might be gone for now, and possibly outright replaced by RosaLuma.

Want: 15%

I'll be honest, I've never been able to control multiple things at once to a great degree, so there's personal bias, but I also just prefer not having to base playstyle on how AI was programmed. I like the cleaner playstyle of RosaLuma more. I wouldn't mind them coming back as an alt. costume duo a la Olimar/Alph, cos I like the ice mechanic, but I'm not invested.

Sceptile:

Prediction: 15%

Votes: AW characters

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Oh boy, here it comes :

Day 16 : ICE CLIMBERS
Unless Sakurai decides to give another shot, I don't think we will see the Ice Climbers coming back. Well, what I would think is that by any chance, Sakurai does try to bring them back, I would imagine he would keep them as the very LAST DLC so he would have more time to fix the 3DS problem. The problem being the main reason why they are not coming back, and probably won't until the next game (if Sakurai makes Smash5).
Want: 15%
Same as Snake, I'm pretty neutral with these characters, it would have been fun trying to master them but yeah...

SCEPTILE :
Prediction: 32%
I'll hold into my thoughts for tomorow.

Nominations: Geno (Super Mario RPG) x5

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
ICE CLIMBERS:
CHANCE: 5%
WANT: 50%

Well, the biggest problem, I believe is that Sakurai has already given a reason for their exclusion in this pair of titles, unlike the other DLC hopefuls, where he was silent. Going from past cases, I think ICs will probably have to sit this one out, as the vanilla 3DS cannot handle them, nor can Wii U's 8 player Smash.

As for want, yes, I'd like to see them back, but I personally feel that the trade-off of losing a character for a portable Smash was definitely worth it. And I'm very much against making the ICs an option only for N3DS and Wii U.

SCEPTILE PREDICTION: 3%

NOMINATIONS: IVYSAUR × 5

So that's where Swampasaur's avatar comes from. :laugh:

:231:

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Oh boy,
Ice Climbers

Chance: 50% It all depends on how bad the technical issues are.

Want: 40 % Mainly just because they're veterans.

Nomination: BB bandit trio X5

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Nice Climbers
Chance: 10%
We don't have to put in ballot votes for these guys because Sakurai knows that two cut climbers are many sad forum-goers. Kinda. So ballot/popularity is set.

Anyways, it depends on how severe the technical problems are and as it stands they appear to be pretty heavy.

But hey, Sakurai's a stubborn man (In the good way) and he might just try, try again.

Want: 75%
Is that how you spell "They're veterans I have no connection to other than finding them kinda cute?"
They are the only vidya game characters other than Young Link I find cute.
(Especially in those green parkas)

DANGEDIT:

Sceptile: 17%
The fan rule of Alltypestriangle has died down, as has the ORAS hype.

Magolor x5

Last edited:

Bill Nye

Smash Rookie
Ice Climbers
Chance: 30%
If they can make them work, they're in. That's pretty much it. I doubt Sopo would be made a character.

Want: 0%
I never cared for them, and I do not personally know anyone who likes them. I was honestly glad they got cut because it meant room for more Nintendo All-Stars. I think any character that makes it in smash should be recognizable before making it in, and if these guys hadn't been in Smash, I guarantee that 95% of Nintendo gamers would have no idea who they are.

Nominations: Ryu x 2
Ridley x 3

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Ice Climbers

The 5% is in regards to the fact that they are veterans and thus have some demand.
Other than that, they have one key issue: the 3DS. Yes, the developers have more time, but the 3DS is still a major issue. The developers might not be able to implement them despite their best efforts; there would be 8 Ice Climbers max on the 3DS... that might not be good for the system. Not to mention 8-Player Smash, which could be chaotic with 16 Ice Climbers.
People might complain about Sakurai cutting them for having no future, but this argument makes sense in a way. Despite reviving the franchise with Melee and Brawl, they still don't have a new game.
Also, think about Smash as a whole. The series has a lot of modes and a massive roster. If the Ice Climbers took longer than a usual fighter just because of the 3DS, wouldn't cutting them be more worth it than to still create them? Shouldn't the emphasis go towards other characters and modes?
EDIT: I forgot to mention this: Wii U or New 3DS exclusivity. This wouldn't make sense and the idea is ridiculous. Essentially, a 3DS owner will have to pay a lot more just to play the Ice Climbers if they don't have a Wii U or New 3DS. It would also be unfair for those users as they are blocked off from getting one character and Sakurai wants to make the roster the same for bother versions. Having them be available for Wii U only or Wii U and New 3DS will go against this principle.

Want: 0%
Oh ho boy! Here comes the salt!
I hate the Ice Climbers. I've hated them since Melee.
I hate how they look aesthetically. I think they look pretty damn stupid and boring. Their voices annoy me as well.
I don't like what they bring to Smash. The music is OK, but the stages absolutely suck. The Summit has to be one of my least favorite stages in Brawl.
I've played their game and I absolutely hated it. It has some of the worst and most frustrating controls that I ever had to experience.
I don't like their gimmick. It's not fun to play with and it was pretty frustrating to control.
Lastly, I hate their balance. In Melee, they had a technique called "Wobbling," which was impossible to escape and you had to watch helplessly as your character gets annihilated. In Brawl, they had a zero-to-death chain grab that you couldn't escape as well. Was it fun being the recipient of such techniques? No.
When I heard that they got cut, I was pretty happy about it. Not only did they stick out like sore thumbs to me, but now I don't have to worry about these awful techniques anymore. Could they be rebalanced? Absolutely. Will it be an easy task? No.

BTW, the website crashed on me a few times. Even it didn't want me to share my Ice Climber hatred.

Sceptile Prediction: 14.04%
I guess hopefuls?

Nominations: DLC Costumes for Characters 5x

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom