• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
90% of you wouldn't care much about him either if not for the leak.

Well no, a lot of us in the Rayman support thread have been wanting this character from the beginning. Yes the leak may have helped him but there are people out there who genuinely want this character in. So no, it's just the leak or trophies. These are just evidence of his chances. Its also more of wanting one of favorite charcaters to get in.
Of course people genuinely want him, but that's largely due to his involvement in Smash, whether by trophy or leak. People spoke of him quite irregularly beforehand.

Also, a fake leak is not evidence of his chances. And his trophy is evidence against his inclusion.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well I did say that Snakes chances aren't looking too great but then again I can say that for tons of third parties. Ubisoft isn't the only developer that delays or don't bring games to the table all the time. Besides they did eventually release them. I don't agree with most of the stuff Ubisoft do either but geez, must company drama be everything. Companies don't always have to be nice to each other just look at Sega and Nintendo people didn't think they would ever work together back in the day. Now their turned to one of Nintendo's best allies, for now at least.
Well Sega no longer develops consoles for one, so they have really dropped as competition for Nintendo...if it were twenty years ago, there wouldn't be a chance in hell that Sonic would be in smash but nowadays both Sega and Nintendo look back at the golden days and use it to their advantage, Smash isn't the only Mario v. Sonic collaborative game out there...
Try not to take the whole 'company drama' personally as when rating the characters everyone has to take these factors into consideration for the character's chances...Call me a realist, but these gaming companies first and foremost are businesses, businesses will strike a mutual deal with each other and if one party doesn't hold their end of the bargain then things may turn out a bit nastier than you might expect...and with Snake being excluded due to issues with Konami, then it isn't too farfetched to think that Ubisoft's actions may have affected Rayman's chances in Smash...that doesn't mean it actually has, and for all we know Sakurai is working on Rayman as we speak while Nintendo and Ubisoft are simply shaking hands with no hard feelings...but given all the information the chances seem less likely...

Last edited:

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
Of course people genuinely want him, but that's largely due to his involvement in Smash, whether by trophy or leak. People spoke of him quite irregularly beforehand.
That is true.

Also, a fake leak is not evidence of his chances.
Perhaps not, but it can contribute to his chances in the form of fan demand if the leak gets any mileage.

And his trophy is evidence against his inclusion.
Is that why Mewtwo is in the game?

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Rayman chances: 3%
Yes I know it's way lower than most scores here, but even though think he's in a better position than most third-parties... well, he's still third-party after all and I'm not confident on his chances at all. For the positive, he has star power as a video game character and I have no doubt he would sell well on the name alone, and he's the official mascot of one of the third-party companies that used the most to support Nintendo. And for the negative, Ubisoft said they didn't want to support the Wii U anymore, and considering they were one of the last third-party companies that used to support it, that hurts a lot. But what I believe is by far Rayman's biggest obstacle is his relative Japanese obscurity (I believe some of his games like Rayman 3 were not released in Japan); in other words the "he has star power as a video game character" argument only really applies for Europe and America, even though I admit the trophy cameo gives him some exposure. Speaking of which... what does that mean? It's not just a Rayman cameo, but also for his fellow companions Globox and Barbara, which possibly means more than just Rayman himself appearing. We have multiple possibilities for those trophies' origins:

> Ubisoft asked Rayman to be in the game but Sakurai wasn't interested? This actually hurts his chances by a considerable margin.
> Ubisoft asked Rayman to be in the game and Sakurai was interested but it was too late? This definitely helps his chances, but I don't think this outcome is very likely.
> This is a deal between Ubisoft and Nintendo to give Mario and Luigi costumes in Rayman Legends and in return Nintendo gave Rayman exposure through a Super Smash Bros. cameo? I don't think this outcome has any special effect on his chances.

Rayman definitely has a strong following, especially given how the trophy cameo made his support much more vocal than before, but I doubt support is overwhelming enough to give him a considerable chance through the ballot.

Rayman want: abstain
Without the Mewtwo custom moves fiasco this would have been an enthusiastic 100%, but with it being a thing I can't really be excited about anyone, not even towards one of my most wanted newcomers and a character who means a lot for me. Not only he meets my personal standards for third-party characters in Smash (at least when you ignore his relative Japanese obscurity), but his games are among the most influential of my childhood, alongside the Mario, Legend of Zelda, Pokémon, and Donkey Kong series, and seeing all of them properly reunified in Smash would be amazing to me. Because of that, I can't just cut 75% of my want score, but at the same time the idea of DLC characters lacking what I consider to be an awesome gameplay feature exclusive to SSB4 makes me cringe. And while him joining the fray as a playable character would be downright amazing I can understand why he's not playable and the trophy cameos are already awesome to me.

Snake prediction: 32.41%
This one will be interesting for sure. People will point out how Sakurai seems to want to reintroduce cut characters, but a lot will be more pessimistic and say he was most likely intended to be a one-hit wonder.

Nominating:
Concept: DLC characters get custom moves (including Mewtwo through patching) x5

Speaking of which, I'm disappointed Sakurai didn't talk about Mewtwo's lack of custom moves in the latest Famitsu interview. I hope at the very least he will notice the backlash coming from this fiasco.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Looks like we've moved onto the limbless wonder Rayman himself. Assessing time.

Here's my picture of the categories I'll use for assessing characters again again...
These points are for making a best estimate of their chances, although the weight of each category is still unknown at this time. Other unforeseen factors could keep the character from being added. I'll likely post this at the start of all my assessments.

Rayman

Popularity
Rayman's popularity is a bit hard to gauge atm. I know it's up there but it just has this sneaky feeling to it. Most polls I've seen seem to have him as a top 5 third party newcomer. I wouldn't say he's notably cracked into the top 10 of all newcomers recently. I feel like Banjo stole some of his third party thunder in the last couple weeks. And then there's the indies like Shovel Knight and Shantae experiencing popularity boosts. Rayman's high point was right after the fake leak but he's maintained a respectable following even as other third party characters experience their own "high points". I do get this feeling however, that he has staying power to rival the others, but we'll see.

Importance
Rayman is the main character of his eponymously named games. Like so many third party and unrepresented characters looking to join the Smash roster, he is his games' main protagonist and obvious rep. He's pretty much Ubisoft's mascot as well, giving him a status similar to Sonic and Pac-man, though perhaps not to that high of a degree. Still, Ubisoft is a big name and although Rayman might not be the most iconic mascot of a big name third party developer, he's arguably at least somewhat iconic and a mascot all the same. If Ubisoft is getting a rep, Rayman is clearly the first choice. And when you look around at the other companies that are unrepresented that could believably sneak their third party reps into Smash, few seem to beat Rayman's status. This all is helped by the fact that he's been at least relatively good to Nintendo throughout his fairly long history. He's no Shantae, but much of Rayman's success early on was with Nintendo. This was even recognized by Sakurai and co with the inclusion of Rayman trophies in Smash 4.

Uniqueness
Rayman by his very concept is unique. A limbless "something" man? I suppose he's a "ray man", but I really don't know. I think the story behind him is that he's some kind of spirit and one of a kind in his own universe. Yeah, there's some more uniqueness points. Given his unique appearance, it's no surprise that he comes with a unique set of skills and abilities too. Rayman uses his arms and legs as midrange projectiles... no one else can really say as much. In fact, I see Rayman playing almost like Duck Hunt in that regard. Yeah, a lot of his moves would be totally disjointed.... pun intended. It had to done. Rayman's hair is also it's own kind of "weapon" with it's "spinning" ability that also allows him to float a la Dixie. Other than that, he comes with a few other tricks up his sleeve like being able to shoot long range projectiles in the form of energy balls or lum assisted attacks. He's also been known to randomly use fruit to attack enemies, but not like Pac-Man, more like Peach. If that's not enough uniqueness for you, just remember... he has no arms or legs.

Relevance
I'm actually not sure how relevant Rayman is. I think Rayman Legends might've been his last game and it's somewhere between 4 and 2 years old I think. Respectable relevancy I guess. And even if it had been longer, he's a brand icon so he's likely to always be relevant as long as Ubisoft doesn't officially announce their ditching him... but then that would be like Sega ditching Sonic. Of special note is his relevancy on Nintendo systems still. Although Ubisoft did pull exclusivity of their last Rayman game on Nintendo consoles, it came out for them all the same. The recent leak also reinvigorated the notion that he could be a great addition to Smash.

Representation
Like I stated in the importance category, Rayman is a company icon and mascot to Ubisoft as well as the main character of his very own game series that happened to be named after him. So yeah, he not only represents a franchise but a company. The only question is whether we want Ubisoft to have representation in Smash. Capcom, Namco, and Sega do, so it's not like he wouldn't make sense. Even the Ryu leak opens up the door for possibly more third party representation too. If we're to get plenty more DLC and third parties will get more reps, I definitely wouldn't mind Rayman being one of them. I'll just give a "sure" regarding Rayman being represented through more than just trophies.

Limitations
Rayman is third party, and although he's a company icon, third party status is still a barrier to inclusion just due to the legal hoops that must be jumped through. Ubisoft and Nintendo's relationship isn't clearly great atm either, like Capcom's. I will say, however, that of any third party he seems to have his foot furthest in the door. Getting represented in trophies is more than any other popular third party rep can say. I know, Ryu.. but I'm talking about outside that leak for now, okay. Other than that, Rayman has few limitations when you consider all the other categories.

Final Assessment

Chance: 18%

This is about as high a chance as I'll give any third party character that's not named Snake or Ryu at this point. Rayman has just enough of all the right things to have great odds considering his major limitation. He's decently popular, he's decently iconic, he's very unique, and he's decently relevant. And he seems to at least have his foot in the door... his disembodied foot.

Want: 62%

Admittedly, I'm a big Rayman fan from way back but haven't played any of his games in years. I know Rayman mostly from his first and second games, both of which I loved. I actually wrote up a dream roster back in the early Melee days in which I envisioned Rayman being playable. I also had a ton of other characters unrealistically included too, heh. The fondness for Rayman still lingers, but it's faded with the years. I'm fairly indifferent to his Smash 4 inclusion. I gave him a boost above 50% though because if we have to get more third party characters, Rayman is among the most deserving imo... and just for old time sake as well.

~~~~

Well, looks like my points are being put to good use since we're doing a characters I've been voting for next again. Here's how I think the thread will vote for Snake...

Predictions for Snake

Chance: 32.1%
Want: 54.3%

~~~~

2 Points to Sceptile - (that one's for you Delzethin!)
2 Points to Shovel Knight.
1 Point to Bayonetta?

I don't want to pick Wolf because I don't think it would be interesting even though I really want him too.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Previous ratings(Stealing the idea too Pacack!)

K. Rool:
Day missed.

Banjo-Kazooie:
Chance: 9%
Want: 85%

Isaac:
Chance: 55%
Want: 75%

Bandana Dee:
Chance: 40%
Want: 100%

Captain Toad:
Chance: 45%

Krystal:
Chance: 25%
Want: 50%

Dixie Kong:
Chance: 66%

Impa:
Chance: 28%

Shantae:
Chance: 1%
Want: 5%

Inklings:
Chance: 62%
Want: 70%

Rayman

Chance: 33%
Third party problems, naturally, but there's the fact unlike other popular third party characters(Banjo, Shantae, Shovel Knight, etc) Rayman's made a cameo in Smash 4 Wii U already as a trophy.

Has a vocal fanbase on the ballot, albeit still less vocal than others; Banjo, Shovel Knight and Shantae. The 'leak' sure helped people come around to the idea of him.

He is fairly famous, but he's still a tier lower than the likes of Mario, Pac-Man, Sonic, Snake, Ryu and Megaman. He is as well known as Bomberman, and the likes of Rayman Origins and Legends has brought some new fans to the Ubisoft mascot.

Overall I think Rayman's the next most likely 3rd party newcomer. I just don't think that it's possible to still give him above a 1/3 chance since despite his trophies being included he didn't make the original cut and hasn't been announced as DLC thus far.

Want: 90%

I wasn't exactly a fan as a kid, I knew of Rayman, but come the Wii era the original Rayman Raving Rabbids quickly became my favourite initial Wii launch title, and I played the dancing game with my friends which lead to hours of drunken fun.

As the Rabbids began to take over the series though, they pushed me further and further out. Turns out I had a hidden soft spot for Rayman and it was his inclusion that had caused me to pick up the series in the first place. Watching him get slowly pushed out of his own game franchise was disheartening. I thought it was the end for him...

And then Origins happened. HOLY COW. This game was chock full of personality! Rayman himself took center stage, and alongside Globox and the Teenies, totally blew me away. Four player multiplayer platforming fun.

Going into Smash speculation as a result, I had three 3rd party wants, one of which I felt was an absolute must. Rayman...was not the must, but he was one of the three. (The must was Pac-Man, and score, that happened. The last was Bomberman)

When I saw Rayman's trophy I was blown away. I've never been so excited to see a trophy...but I'm aware that doesn't necessarily mean it's in his favour.

Snake Prediction: 28%
Vets seems to be getting in all over the place. Snake will have the biggest problems, but with Mewtwo and Lucas announced and Roy leaked, it looks like people will give him better odds than they would of pre-Lucas announcement.

Nominations:
Vaati X 3
Wonder Red X 2

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It's Ray-Man, hallelujah! It's Ray-Man, Ray-Man!

Raving Rabbid's Rayman:
Chance: 20%
A bit of popularity, a lot of iconicness and three trophies in the game.

Want: 60%
Do not care much, but he could be fun.

Solid Chance Snake: 26.78%

Magolor x 5

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Is it me, or do I see floating Inklings in the background?

Rayman (Rayman)
Gosh, I need to play all these games someday.

Chance:15%
I have absolutely no idea what to rate this guy.

On one hand we have this character who has been around since the early 90s, is a mascot of a company that is one of the biggest around, had a sub-franchise that was immensely popular during the Wii era, and quite honestly, is one of the biggest third parties around that has an iconic status(The only ones I can think that are above him are Slime, Snake, Jibanyan, Chocobo, and maybe Bomberman)

On the other hand we have this character who had his most recent release suddenly moved from a WiiU exclusive to a seven month late multiplat, upsetting quite some WiiU owners(or so I believe). Also, he has little to no recognition in Japan(though Sonic did join in during Brawl, so maybe it isn't such a big issue. Then again, Sonic had the anime and the Sega fanbase from Saturn~Dreamcast era, so maybe it does...)

Overall, I gave him a pretty low score. But this is also due to the fact that I'm giving third parties in general low scores. If there are more third parties in Smash DLC, expect this score to move up by at least 30%.

Want:40%
Overall, I'm pretty indifrent to him, as I haven't played most of his games, except for a tiny bit with Rayman 2 on DC. But unlike some of the other ones we've rated, at least he's famous in most parts of the world. I really need to play his games sometime, I have both Rayman 2 and Origins sleeping in my closet...but I'm currently too busy playing through the Metroid franchise.

Prediction:
Oh hey, it's a character that I actually play the games. Or rather I adore.
Snake:30%

Nominations:
Ray(Custom Robo) x5

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Rayman
Chance: 15%. He's third party, yada yada yada. It's still not impossible that he could get in. He's already got a trophy in if I'm not mistaken... though that doesn't amount to much.
Want: 0%. I don't like Rayman at all.
And again, I nominate Ruroken's Saitou Hajime x5.

D

Deleted member

Holy crap! There are squids in the background of the website!

The Directory has been updated.

Rayman
Chance:
30%

Out of all the possible third parties that aren't Ryu, Rayman has the highest chances in my eyes. He isn't as legendary as Sonic, Mega Man, or Pac-Man, but he is still quite popular and has quite a following. In terms of iconic status, I would put him below the likes of Bomberman and maybe Snake, but he does have a distinct advantage; he has a trophy. Ubisoft did provide the models for Sakurai to use; perhaps they can use this model and update it to put Rayman in the game. His moveset is already created as well thanks to Origins and Legends, making him pretty easy to convert into a fighter.
One more thing that Rayman has is, as mentioned before, fan demand and interest. While the demand wasn't as vocal before during speculation, interest and hope for the character was revitalized thanks to the fake leak by Artsy Omni. After that fake leak, demand for Rayman soared and thus could help him tremendously on the ballot.
Ultimately, I think Rayman does have a shot, better than most 3rd parties in fact. If Ryu is actually a DLC, then maybe Rayman's chances could be hurt in the process as maybe Sakurai doesn't want to put in 5 3rd party characters. I guess we'll wait and see.

Want: 25%
I'm a mixed bag on Rayman.
On one hand, I would enjoy playing as him and seeing his inclusion. I haven't played any of his games, but Origins and Legends looked fun judging by the playthroughs I've seen.
My main issue with Rayman isn't the character in question, I don't hate Rayman, but it's his owners... Ubisoft. I don't like Ubisoft for their recent practices where they delayed a completed game just so they can put it on other consoles (and that game was exclusive too!!!), outright ignoring Nintendo altogether now, and are releasing some pretty unfinished and unpolished games as of late. As a result, Rayman getting in Smash would be jarring to me for this reason.
Again, I do like the character and I would like to see how he would play in Smash, but I don't like the company in question.

Snake Prediction: 29.40%
He's a veteran, he will score high as a result. However, I think what has been happening with Konami recently will hurt his chances.

Nominations: DLC Alt Costumes for Characters that Aren't Mii Fighters 5x
Find a way to shorten this if you can...
Basically, the concept is getting alt costumes for the fighters in the game that aren't Mii Fighters, such as having a Dry Bowser alt for Bowser for example.
I will hold off on nominating Wright until we get through Ryu first.

Raymaniac
chance 15%
looking at some of my percents i feel like I've been too conservative so im going up a little.

If any 3rd party character that isnt ryu or snake i feel he is the most likely. He has a hiatory with nintendo and quite the legacy. Certainly he is unique.

Want 90%
yes please. I love his games so much and i havent even played 1 yet. Im even replaying rayman 2 right now on the 3ds.

Edit

Snake 25.63
idK lol

noms
wonder red 2
ridley 2
viridi 1

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Rayman
Chance - 15%
I gave Banjo & Kazooie 10% so I feel kinda obliged to give Rayman a better chance score. One thing Rayman has in his favour is that there is already Rayman content in the game, so at least we know Sakurai isn't opposed to Rayman being a part of Smash Bros. As third parties go he is probably in the best position right now.

Want - 25%
I'm not overly keen on Rayman myself. I did play the original Rayman on the PS1 but I don't feel overly nostalgic about it. I wouldn't be unhappy if he made it in though.

Nominations:
Bayonetta x3
Chibi Robo x2

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Rayman

Chance - 7.5% - I'm pessimistic about third parties, but he already has his foot in the front door. I'll admit that he's the most likely third party to be added at the moment, it's just I don't think any more third parties will be added (not counting Ryu and/or Snake).

Want - 60% - I liked Legends, but I'm not certain how interesting he is in comparison to the current third parties.

Snake Prediction - 20.13% - Vet status plus third party status equal confusing ratings!

Nominations

New Guidance Conversations X3
Anna X2

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Rayman.
8% Chances.
On my phone, so I'll make this short. I consider this a great score for a third party character. It's one of the highest I'll give them. Rayman has a lot of supporters, as well as the distinction of having three trophies when his company otherwise has no involvement in Smash. He is certainty a name to keep in mind, but that doesn't change what he is at the end of the day, a third party with many business hurdles in a game where slots are premium real estate.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
RAYMAN:
CHANCE: 45%
WANT: 40%

He's already in the game as a trophy, so there are no legal hurdles to cross, which gives him a leg up on over 3rd parties. I used to think he was the next in line after the ones on the roster, before the Roy/Ryu leak changed up everything.

As for want, I do like him as a character, and think he would be a worthy addition, but I'm not too excited to play as him.

SNAKE PREDICTION: 17%

NOMINATIONS: IVYSAUR × 5

:231:

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
For a third-party character like Rayman, the ratings over 50% seem really absurd. :L
I won't be as in-depth with Rayman, as I have a pretty tired brain today, I'm going to list his pros and cons in bullet points.

Rayman Chance:
35%
Rayman certainly has gone through a lot to gain a better chance than other third-parties.
  • With Rayman trophies in the game, Sakurai has easy access to using the characters in the game.
  • I don't think the controversy with Ubisoft and Nintendo would really matter for Rayman's case, it's probably really irrelevant to Sakurai's decisions on newcomers.
  • His popularity certainly has grown by large margin with the Omni leak and the ballot.
  • Has a somewhat big iconic status not a large plus by any means, as being from a third-party popular franchise is probably enough to consider the character.
  • Popularity within his franchise, certainly doing better than most C-Tier Nintendo franchises.
  • Has a bit of a close relationship with Nintendo.
  • Has a moveset that basically can be transferred from Legends to Smash easily, not a very unique moveset (It's pretty standard for the most part), but he is visually unique in terms of appearance.
  • The only minor negative is that he's third-party, and the fact he'll have to go through some many agreements to get the character in the game, to be honest I don't think it's much of a problem anymore, especially with the amount of third-party trophies from other IPs in the game.
I was kinda surprised how likely he is to get in the game when I did this analysis. I consistently had to raise his percent by 5% every time I found a good supporting point. He's actually pretty likely for the most part. I'm probably going to use these points with the other third-parties that I rate here.

Rayman Want:
65% Certainly wouldn't mind his inclusion, loved playing through the Rayman Legends Challenges app, that game kept me really busy throughout 2013's summer.

Snake Prediction:
34.56%
Will likely be as optimistic as Rayman's potential high score.

Nominations:
x5 Quote

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Reiman:

Chance: 30%

Rayman is a trophy in the game, so it's not impossible, but I think Sakurai is specifically teasing Ubisoft with the model they gave him.

Want: 50%

Indifferent. He would be cool, though.

Snake predict:

Chance: 30%

Want: 77%

Nom: Quote x5

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Rayman:

Chance - 15%
He's the one third party not named Snake who's worth looking at as far as DLC odds go. He had a bit of support before Omni's leak, which ended up kickstarting a pretty major following for the character thanks to the "people support what they think/thought is/was likely" rule. Points were docked for his third party status, as well as because, according to one John Harker on NeoGAF, Sakurai already turned him down for the main game. If that is indeed the case, it would seem as though Western-centric popularity (as evidenced by the confused Japanese reactions to the leak) wouldn't be enough to overcome that, sadly.

Want - 65%
His fans have sold me on him as a cool character, despite me not having played the games. I'd like to see him in the game, and threw a vote his way accordingly.

Snake Prediction - 32.5%

Nominate Shovel Knight x5

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Snake:

Want: 35%

Snake has veteran status, so I'd say he has priority over just about every 3rd party character. That said his chances are still low. 3rd party characters have very very little chance to be DLC to begin with. The game is about Nintendo and Nintendo all stars....not Video Games and Video Game all stars. The next big reason Snake probably isn't coming back is because of Konami. They can't even get their company figured out, so I doubt we are going to see Snake anytime soon. Also Snake hasn't been relevant to Nintendo in....well just about forever. Maybe there was MGS Twin Snakes, but Snake was always synonymous with Sony.
I feel Konami has much better reps for the game, such as Simon Belmont or Bomberman. Both who are great contenders for Smash 5.

Nominate: Chorus Kids x 5

Snake:

Want: 35%

Snake has veteran status, so I'd say he has priority over just about every 3rd party character. That said his chances are still low. 3rd party characters have very very little chance to be DLC to begin with. The game is about Nintendo and Nintendo all stars....not Video Games and Video Game all stars. The next big reason Snake probably isn't coming back is because of Konami. They can't even get their company figured out, so I doubt we are going to see Snake anytime soon. Also Snake hasn't been relevant to Nintendo in....well just about forever. Maybe there was MGS Twin Snakes, but Snake was always synonymous with Sony.
I feel Konami has much better reps for the game, such as Simon Belmont or Bomberman. Both who are great contenders for Smash 5.

Nominate: Chorus Kids x 5
we're actually rating RAYMAN today. snake is tomorrow :p

I have never seen that NeoGaf post before. any reason to believe he is credible other than being at neogaf for a long time?
even he seems unsure "some guy told me"

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
we're actually rating RAYMAN today. snake is tomorrow :p

I have never seen that NeoGaf post before. any reason to believe he is credible other than being at neogaf for a long time?
even he seems unsure "some guy told me"
Already rated Rayman haha, besides its almost tomorrow for me!

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmmm....

Chance: 35%

As many have stated above he got his own trophy, and also, not sure how true it is, but didn't Ubisoft actually give them a fully functional Rayman model? (This old rumour might have been disproved whilst I was out collecting gems).

Want: 65%

I'm mixed, when I was younger, I remember finding his games a bit iffy, whether that's because I was young an stupid when it came to gaming I'm not sure... whilst I thought he was pretty cool, his older GBC games do not rate incredibly highly for me.

However, I liked it when his wii title was leaked. It was good to see Rayman back in action and seemingly in a bit of a predicament. However I was horrified to find the rabbids taking over, and suddenly leaving Rayman as irrelevant. Fortunately Origins happened.

I'm still not very good at that game either, but whether that's still my lack of skill (probably), or the teamwork* abilities with my friends gained from the Mario Party games, I have no idea.

Would I like to see Rayman get in? Yes, he's pretty cool.
Would I prefer some other characters first? Definitely. (*cough*Isaac and myself of course*cough*.)

Snake Prediction: 32%

Nominations: Vaati X 5

*or the lack of...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Rayman:

Chance - 20%

Want - 60% I've kinda warmed up to him a bit.

Snake prediction: 56.27%

Nominations:
"Moonstruck Blossom" x2
Concept: Shadow Moses stage, music and Grey Fox AT included with Snake x3

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
Rayman (finally)

Chance: 55%

I have a feeling he could go either way with his 3 trophies already in the game and we've been shown an unused trophy (possibly a model for fighting?) and is iconic enough to get in smash. Japan doesn't quite know him though.

I love Rayman to death and I've been praying for him to get in since melee.

Snake Prediction: 20%

my 5 Nominations go to Vaati

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Rayman
Chance: 6%
Sure he's got those collectible trophies in Smash, but I'm one of those people who thinks the fact that he already has representation in the game while not being playble actually hinders his chances a bit due to being a third party. If Sakurai ever deeply considered the possibility of him being playable, I think he would have created him right off the bat and not have revealed his trophy in a Pic of the Day. Maybe next time he'll have a good chance, but for DLC I just don't see it. I'll give the anatomically disconnected mascot a total of 6%.
A third party who'll really need to pull himself together to have a shot at being playable...

Want: 16%
He has the potential to be a cool character, and who doesn't want another third party with the word 'man' in their title? Other than those reasons though I can't say I really care for him all too much.

Prediction - Snake: 18.2%

Nominations:
x5 Tetra
x5 Toon Zelda

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Rayman Chance: 10%
Other than having a trophy, Rayman doesn't have a lot going for him. Ubisoft barely even supports Nintendo nowadays.

Want: 1%
I don't want him in this game at all. The only reason I put one instead of 0% is because my friend loves Rayman.

Snake Chance: 1%
Want: 20%

Nominations:
9-Volt x4
Endou Mamoru x1

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
RATINGS

Rayman

Chance - 60%: Rayman is one of those 3rd parties who has the fan demand to make him fairly more likely than most. Though, I feel his chances still dwell in some uncertainty.

Rayman has a fair legacy of games to boot and his fanbase has managed to keep up with him through the years. Yes, even the Rabbids era. Not to mention, Rayman and a couple of his co-stars already have trophies in the game, which seems to be a special honorable mention to their series. Or perhaps, their developer.

Rayman's chances have been massively propelled with his fake leak, with Legends and Origins pushing his plausibility even further to casuals and fans alike. His appearance as a playable character has been heavily teased without any gain, so I'm sure he'll stay in the fanbase more prominently than in Brawl. It only matters if his fans are large enough to trump out the rest of the 3rd parties, which is already a tough spot for licensing and popularity reasons. Oh, and on another note, his games seem partial to the West, so I'm afraid i don't have much Japanese intel to conjecture off of. But I almost never hear about him from over there.

Now, I have only played Rayman 2 (I think? It was like the first couple of levels and that Mosquito section!) and the demo of Origins. So all I can really attest to for his moveset potential is what comes to me at face value. Right off the bat, Rayman's main gimmick involves the use of his "limbs" for ranged attacks. Some of which could be psuedo-projectiles or allow him to combo from a medium-far distance from himself. His air game would benefit quite well for this too, which carries over into his floaty attacks in the air. I couldn't forget about the helicopter hair too! His appearance is striking enough with his "ray man" anatomy and janky, kitschy aesthetic.

Want - 25%: Honestly, I really just do not receive his character or games warmly. I've only had scant experience with them and I wasn't very in tune with the gameplay, as well-designed it might appear to veterans. His series art aesthetic would be very fresh for Smash, but I guess it really doesn't mesh with my own aesthetic sense. Plus, I can't get the appeal of Rayman's design. It just looks really gross to me. Is he supposed to be cute or goofy or oddball or what?

Just gotta acknowledge that I'm biased to his series and I have little experience with it. Seems like he'd make a solid enough character for Smash and I'm sure I'd gravitate to his games more. Besides, there's a lot more characters that I'd take over him in a heartbeat, especially if we're getting a 3rd party.

Also, Ubisoft getting any shred of fame with their current practices makes me hesitant to support Rayman. They're on par with EA in terms of scumminess within the games industry. And like EA, they have an assortment of creative developers lopped up within their tendrils. Rayman seems to come from here, despite being something of a company mascot. Even then, his games strike from the nitty-gritty pretentious action-adventures and casual bubble gum pop wagglefests I see come out of their stable. I will acknowledge that I found their early support behind the Wii U commendable at best, and they haven't hurt the Smash brand with the Rayman cameo either. We really don't know about Ubisoft and Nintendo's current relationship. But it looks really bleak from the outside looking in.

PREDICTION

Snake

Chance - 65.5%
Want - 85.9%

NOMINATIONS

Concept: No DLC Characters After Fighter Ballot x3
Galacta Knight x2

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Plus, I can't get the appeal of Rayman's design. It just looks really gross to me. Is he supposed to be cute or goofy or oddball or what?
If you're genuinely asking; honestly Rayman appears to have been designed with one thing in mind; expressiveness.

Hands, and faces are the two most expressive things of the human body, and Rayman is the logical extreme of that, cutting away any unnecessary unexpressive limbs.
He's designed with big eyes which give him a mischievous, mildly cute feel akin to Sonic, Spyro and Crash, but that design is allowed to be ripped apart in order to get yet more expression from him:

So in short; he's a little bit of everything. Sometimes cute, mostly a wild taking, overly expressive weirdo oddball with a slight streak of Sonic the Hedgehog about him in the 'cool mascot' factor:

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Rayman
Chance: 5%
He doesn't exactly have the most going for him, being from a company that hasn't treated Nintendo well as of late. Really the only things that I'd say he has in his favor is that he'd fit in very well with the cast, and that his games were published by Nintendo in Japan. But I don't know, Sakurai wants to limit 3rd Party's and with 3 already in the game and with another probably on the way, I just can't see any more. He's probably got the best chance out of any 3rd Party, but that still isn't very high in my book

Want: 5%
I've only played one Rayman game, being Origins which I really, REALLY liked. I like the idea of having Rayman as a character in Smash, but not only do I think we have enough 3rd Party characters with the likely addition of Ryu, but I detest the idea of a Ubisoft character getting in, due to how poorly they've treated Nintendo as of late. I'd totally jump on the pro-Rayman train if that wasn't the case

Snake Prediction: 10%

Nominations:
RH Character x3
Themed Stage Packs x2

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Rayman

Chances: 30%

Rayman has a huge fanbase and the leak was very believable at first but I feel his popularity went down when the leak was fake. I played some of the Rayman games and he has the potential to get in game. He has a trophy.

Want: 0% No, I don't want him in smash. He could probably work, but nah. This is my opinion so don't get your panties in a bunch.

Nomination: KOS-MOS X5 as usual.

Troykv

Smash Master
Rayman:

Chance: 25%

A good chance, but still a Third Party

Want: 25%

I'm indifferent, but Ubisoft bothers me.

Predictions:

Snake: 20%

Nominations:

Micaiah x2
Tiki x2
Kos-mos x1

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Rayman
Chance: 15% - Rayman is probably one of the harder characters for me to rate as I can not tell whether his trophies in the game actually helps his chances or hurts them. It's encouraging to know that Sakurai acknowledges Rayman enough to get him in the game in some form, but does it mean he's already turned him down.
Want: 60% - I've never played a Rayman game but he still looks like a lot of fun to play.

Snake prediction: 51%

Nominations: Henry Flemming x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
RAYMAN
CHANCE: 29.56%
WANT: 48.36%
Rayman managed to get a much better score than previous third party characters we've rated, however we're rating an even bigger third party character next. Please rate Snake in Chance and Want. Also please predict what score Wolf will get tomorrow.

Top Bottom