• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
INKLINGS
CHANCE: 43.29%
Want: 45.19%
We may not know much about their game but that didn't stop the Inklings from getting a decent score. Next up we're rating Rayman. He already has a trophy but can he go further? Also please predict what score Snake will get tomorrow.
Did you end the day earlier than normal? I was doing homework and wasn't able to get my rating in.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
RAYMAN
Chance: 5%
- Rayman is Ubisoft's, and Ubisoft has a lot of tension with Nintendo last time I checked. His inclusion as a trophy does give him a higher chance at becoming DLC, but in general, I don't think we should expect Rayman any time soon.

Want: 0%
- I personally do not like the character. I've seen his games, and they look unappealing to me. His character design is... ech.. and I really don't think we need any new 3rd Party reps. On a side not, imagine his Amiibo, haha!

Prediction: Snake - 25% Chance/85% Want
- My prediction does not represent how I feel exactly, but a lot of people want Snake back, myself included, and I can only guess how much people are willing to bargain with themselves to agree to a theory that makes him more viable to come back.

Nomination: Wolf - x5
- We need him back

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Rayman
Chance: 20%
Well another third party character, but unlike other third parties Rayman is already in the game, though whether or not he will make the full transition into a playable character is another question. Rayman has been around for a while and has the fan support, he is an icon to an extent (I don't think he's quite as iconic as our current third party reps mind you, but he's still got quite the legacy behind him). But being an already present trophy within the game gives him quite a boost in his chances, but is Sakurai interested in taking him all the way...Well, quite frankly that is an impossible question to answer as it is Sakurai we're talking about...For all we know Sakurai's intent was just for Rayman to be a cameo, or perhaps he's leading us on as he always does...either way I'm still going to give him fairly low chances but unlike other third parties his chances aren't astronomical...

Want: 30%
Well, I've never played any of Rayman's games...yeah I know, back in his hay day I was the guy playing Crash and Spyro on the Play Station, I was aware of Rayman but was never interested in picking his games. Either way that doesn't mean I got nothing against him...I'm just very much unfamiliar with him and what possible movesets he may have...Overall though there are a lot of characters I would rather have, but I won't be too disappointed if he becomes DLC...

Prediction: 18%
Snake? SNAKE?! SNAAAAAAAA-
(I wonder how many times that's going to be done before it get's old) anyways snake has the edge over third parties since he's a smash veteran however, there has been issues with Konami leading to his departure from Smash in the first place...

Nominations:
as usual...
Wolf x2
Wolf Link & Midna x2
Dark Samus x1

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Rayman
Chances: 85%
Want: 105%

He's already got three trophies in Smash Bros. What else does he need to get in?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Chance: 70%
I've already made a nice wall of text as a case for Rayman, hopefully it'll tilt some opinions around.

My percentage also takes into account the Smash Ballot and Omni "leak," Rayman was the #1 newcomer on recent polls.

Some people say Rayman shouldn't be in Smash, but they probably don't know anything about him. The third parties we have all shaped the gaming world in some way, and you know who else did? Rayman. People can hate Ubisoft all they want, but Ubisoft is a giant of the gaming industry, they even have more games on the Wii U and 3DS than Namco and Capcom combined, and they have twice as many as Sega. But once upon a time, Ubisoft was a small company with hardly any influence at all, but do you know who it was that put them on the map? Who it was that was so successful that Ubisoft was able to expand into the company they are today? It wasn't a Persian Prince, it was a thingamajig with floating body parts. The first two Rayman games were both critically acclaimed, and Rayman himself has lived on to this day, something that other gaming characters of the 90's have all failed to do.

But why should we care what Rayman has done for Ubisoft? This is a Nintendo fighter, right? That's a riot! But even though people accuse Ubisoft of "betraying" Nintendo by making Legends multiplatform, they were still at least supporting Nintendo at all. Ubisoft was the first third party to support the Wii U and the last one to jump ship. And both Ubisoft and Rayman have been with Nintendo for almost the entire 20 years of Rayman's existence. His second game was on the N64, and it was a launch title for both the DS and the 3DS, and even though his first game wasn't originally on Nintendo consoles, it has since been ported many times. Hell, Rayman Raving Rabbids was changed completely because of the Wii, and the series became completely Nintendo exclusive.

And if you want to talk about moveset potential, he's got that in spades. Think Mega Man is all projectiles? Rayman would be the first character to literally have a full projectile moveset that's still a physical moveset at the same time. Ness got you down with his PSI Magnet? That thing can't absorb a fist, and that fist is going to hit him from across the stage. Rayman can float around with helicopter hair, could you imagine switching your fall speed from Fox to Jigglypuff? That kind of air control is Little Mac's nightmare. He's got all sorts of powers too, from the energy spheres from Rayman 2 (which would make for a completely unique projectile itself) to the laser washing cans in Rayman 3 that let him do an assortment of things, there's too much for all of it to fit!

On top of all of this, Rayman currently has three trophies within the Wii U version of Smash. Have people forgotten that?
Want: 100%
Other than Banjo and Snake, there's not a single character out there that even comes close to matching Rayman for me.

I don't even want to bother with a prediction for Snake, because knowing the Nintendo purists he'll have a pitifully low score.

I have no need to nominate anyone either.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Rayman
Chance:10-15%
he is 3rd party he has a trophy, he does have some what of a history with Nintendo but as it is right now I don't think his chances are that high It's really low IMHO.

Want 30%
I have played his games but It was never on a nintendo console ._. but I could definitely see move set potential. though his recent games never appealed to me.

Prediction: 24%
I can see him getting ratings of highs but a lot of lows of being kind of a one shot deal character :/

Nomination
Django x4
Quote x1

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Rayman

Chance 55% - His chances seem a bit off if you ask me. First of all, he already has a trophy, and there were "leaks" that were later confirmed false. These don't essentially harm his chances (if anything, the trophy actually helps him), but all this time he hasn't been here, I feel that he would have been announced by now. Plus, we now have Ryu looming over our heads...

Want 60% - I don't really know why, but even though I don't have much of a connection to him (rarely ever played his games, but I have played a couple), I wouldn't mind seeing him. His quirky character design definitely fits into the world of Smash in my opinion, and I assume he'd have good move set potential. I guess in the end, I wouldn't really mind seeing him in Smash... unless those "rabbits" are also there. Please keep those awful creatures away from my Smash please.

Snake 50% - Ooh dear, Snake hmm? I feel this fellow can go either way. Like Wolf and the Ice Climbers, he's a Smash vet., the only difference being 3rd party. This will prove to be... interesting.

Oh, yes, my nominations.
As always, chalk up 5 for the Ice Climbers (Ice Climbers X5)

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Rayman:

Chance: 50%
Despite being a third party character, Rayman has three trophies in the game, he would be a lot easier to include to other third parties. He is also the mascot for a large gaming company and has received several games on Nintendo platforms, even exclusives. He is an iconic character in his own right (he's up there with Megaman in terms of sales, believe it or not).

YES! YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!!!!!!!
Rayman is one of my favorite video game characters and franchises of all-time, up there with Sonic and Mario. I've always wanted Rayman in Smash, but thought he was a pipe dream, until the trophy was shown. Since then, I've become a vocal supporter. He is a perfect fit for Smash, he has the moves, has the icon status, and has three trophies, they already have the rights to use him. If I can have Sonic, Mario, and Rayman in the same game fighting each other, Smash 4 will be my favorite game of all-time for that reason and that reason alone.

This would pretty much be me if Rayman got in.

Snake: 25%

No Nominations.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Rayman
Chance - 18%
Highly-requested and already represented in-game with a trophy, but still a 3rd party from a company not on the best terms with Nintendo.

Want - 5%
We don't need any more -man characters in this game. Seriously, though, I don't think it's his time. Next game and I'd be okay with him.

Nominate Anna x5.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Rayman
Chance - 70%
People bring up Ubisoft's relations with Nintendo, but I don't really think that has too much of a bearing. One reason being that he's represented with three trophies in game. That alone gives him more of an edge over other 3rd parties. Add in the fact that's he's been getting a lot of requests, especially after the infamous leak, and his chances don't look too grim.

Want - 100%
I think Rayman would be a great choice for Smash. His series is fantastic and he could have a really fun moveset. He'd fit right in with the roster, and he'd also represent a western company that, despite some obvious shortcomings, has been supporting the Wii U.

Predict:
Snake - 50%
On one hand, he appeared in Brawl. On the other hand, Konami dun goofed.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
@Scamper52596 is the winner of FIVE extra bonus nominations for being the closest person to predict the Inklings' score. Just .01% away from a bullseye.

I nominate Paper Mario x5, and will post my Rayman rating soon.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Rayman: 15% Chance / 3% Want

Don't think he has much of a chance due to his nature as a third party. He's certainly more iconic than Shantae, but he's still a fair bit behind Ryu. Phoenix Wright is probably a better comparison to gauge his iconicness.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Rayman change:55%
Despite there tension ubisoft is still supporting Nintendo they do have more games on the both 3ds and Wii u then Sega or namco.Also rayman already had a trophy so he's half way there

Rayman want: 65%
Despite being a B lister in terms of 3rd party is pretty icon and is revelant.Most if not all of his games are on Nintendo consoles and I just love the character.

Snake prediction 52.55%

Slippy x5

MatvaradoxD

Smash Cadet
Rayman
Chance: 45%
I don't know how Nintendo and Ubisoft's relationship is at this point but it shouldn't be any trouble bringing him in. Rayman would be one of the closest possible 3rd party candidates to be implemented as a fighter.

Want: 40%
I'm pretty much rooting for my girlfriend when it comes to supporting Rayman since she grew up playing his games and would love to see her joy if he makes it in but as for me like I mentioned in my earlier post, would prefer for other characters to make it in before. So I guess it would be about 20% for me and the other half for my gf even though she'd go for 100% want lol. It would be cool to see how his move set would be though.

Snake: I predict 65% since everyone wants him back in.

Nominations:
Could we nominate the same character again? Cuz if so then..
Mach Rider x3
But if not then..
Ice Climbers x5
King K. Rool x5

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Rayman
Chance: 25%
If there's any third party newcomer, I expect it to be Rayman. Ubisoft is friendly enough towards Nintendo to make it work. The biggest problem is simply that he's third party. Not impossible, but third party characters are naturally harder to make than first party. While Rayman's third party competition is relatively weak, there are loads of first party characters who would be less hassle for the Smash team.

Want: 10%
Rayman's another character whose games I have not played. I'll give him the same as the Inklings for pretty much the same reasons.

Snake
Prediction: 70%
I think people overestimate Konami's relationship with Nintendo. Since Snake's a veteran, however, I think that people will give him a higher chance rating than is likely.

Nominations:
Henry Fleming (Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.) x1
Abraham Lincoln (Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.) x1
Ridley x1
Concept: Any Star Fox character DLC released near Star Fox U release date x2

D

Deleted member

Rayman has better chances over most 3rd parties, i will give him that.

Edit : And he would actually be a fighter i'd buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Rayman

Chance: 25%
Another third party character...well, let's see if I have anything new to talk about for this one...
Well, I didn't really know Rayman, but he does have quite a bit of history (or should I say, il a une histoire). He just is prone to falling into the same traps as all the other potential third parties. Furthermore, Ubisoft isn't really a cornerstone of the videogame market in the wat that Nintendo, Sega, or Capcom is - at least they weren't for a while. Now they're getting bigger, and I think that may be the Assassin's Creed series, not Rayman (but can you imagine Altaïr or Ezio in Smash? Lol)
With all of the potential third parties which could be included, I still think everything will come down to finances. Everybody likes to point out that for each of these characters, the creator is on board. I say "No ****, Sherlock, of COURSE they want that." As much as we may think otherwise, these companies are not stupid. They know that if their character gets featured in Smash, sales for that character's games will shoot through the roof. Yes, these companies want free publicity. It's up to negotiations now. And Nintendo by far has the upper hand. I even think Nintendo could demand that company X just gives them the rights to the character to use in Smash, and can even take 75-90% of the amiibo profits. In exchange, Nintendo provides company X with infinite publicity for their character.
So about Rayman specifically, he's got a few trophies (remember when we thought that meant they'd never get in as DLC?). Which honestly are coming out of nowhere, so it means that Rayman is on someone's mind. Rayman is known in Japan - he does have a Japanese Wikipedia article (unlike the last 3rd party we rated), so he did make it over that hurdle. I really think the major thing standing in his way is bureaucracy, and that's a pretty big problem for any character.
Want: 15%
As I've mentioned a few times, I don't like 3rd parties in general. I'd want them to be really important to consider them in a battle of Nintendo's all-stars. Rayman is...not that memorable to me. This is another one for the 'I've got so many characters I prefer' pile or the 'can we get some snubbed first-parties in before we worry about third-parties?' pile.
And another thing - how special would this amiibo look? I'm annoyed enough that Link is stuck on that yellow pole while the later ones all have the good sense to get a clear one.
Prediction: Snake
Chance: 42.5%, Want 67.5%
Nominations:
I want to try to get the promotions concept to the top before Ridley so we don't have to rehash that argument when we get to him. x5​

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Nominations:
I want to try to get the promotions concept to the top before Ridley so we don't have to rehash that argument when we get to him. x5​
I was thinking the same thing. I hope everyone takes cares to rate accordingly to whatever they rate that concept, making sure that their combined totals for all currently-NPC characters don't exceed what they rate said concept.

Spoiler alert - Ridley will take the biggest chunk of that rating for me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Rayman

Chance: 35%

While Ubisoft's limbless platforming hero originated on the Atari Jaguar and became a legend when his first game was ported to PS1, every mainline entry in his series has appeared on at least one Nintendo platform in some form or another. The recent Rayman Legends started production as a Wii U exclusive and was even published by Nintendo in Japan, but then it made a great escape from exclusivity and was ported to pretty much everything under the sun. I'm sure Ubisoft was rabidly raving at the additional earnings they made from the multiplatform release, but how Nintendo themselves felt about it is unknown to me. They likely viewed it as havoc, but that didn't stop them and Sakurai from allowing Ubisoft to create a brand new, detailed model of Rayman just for a TROPHY of all things.

With Ubisoft and Nintendo seemingly not on good terms after the Legends debacle and the former's lack of support for the Wii U as of late, it seems like all hope is lost for a playable Rayman, but I question why Nintendo was willing to pay Ubisoft to borrow the license just for a trophy. This is just speculation, but maybe he was going to be playable, but either (a) time constraints prevented his inclusion or (b) Nintendo became very furious over the loss of Legends' exclusivity, and the trophy simply happened to be finished before then.

A point towards Rayman's favor I'd like to bring up is the recent Ryu sound file leak. With the upcoming Street Fighter V not even coming to Wii U, why doesn't Nintendo seem to be angered by that? Super Street Fighter IV was a million-selling 3DS launch title after all, and Street Fighter II (and Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting...and Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers) was a big hit on the SNES back in the day. At least Rayman Legends was still released on Wii U even after Ubisoft ended its exclusivity, and nothing has been stated about which platforms the next Rayman game will appear on, assuming the series will continue.

Because of that last point, I'm leaning slightly towards (a), but part of me believes that Capcom has something major planned with the Street Fighter franchise and Nintendo that won't be the billionth Virtual Console release of SFII, hence Ryu's inclusion as Smash 4 DLC. I know some will bring up Bandai Namco's upcoming Project X Zone 2 on 3DS, which will likely feature Ryu along with several other Capcom characters and many Namco and Sega characters, but I'm not sure if an appearance in a minor crossover really warrants an inclusion in Smash Bros. in Nintendo's eyes unless said crossover is a Nintendo vs. Capcom game.

Want: 86%

I haven't played any of his games myself (I keep reminding myself to play Rayman Origins on PS3 and Rayman Legends on Wii U, so it'll happen eventually), but Rayman is one of the relatively few additional third party characters I would be very excited for.

Prediction: Snake - 35%

The countdown begins. Some will remain optimistic while others will exaggerate the negative details. Also, inb4 @NonSpecificGuy.

Nomination: Zael (The Last Story) x5

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/251612-...much-smash-bros-dlc-as-possible-made-for-fans

Would this change any of your views with DLC having more than 10+ characters now?
Just reinforces my beliefs that we'll have plenty :p

To compare with my other ratings. I'm of the opinion that Nintendo will milk the DLC hype train for as much cash as they can, and recent events have only strengthened that notion. As such, I expect plenty of DLC characters.

King K. Rool: Chance 80%
Want: 75%

Bandanna Dee Chance: 70%
Want: 95%

Isaac Chance: 65%
Want: 85%

Captain Toad Chance: 58%
Want: 90%

Inkling: 50%
Want: 20%

Dixie Chances: 39%
Want: 49%

Impa Chance: 25%
Want: 60%

Banjo Chance: 20%

Krystal Chance: 15%
Want: 0%

Shantae Chance: 5%
Want: 15%

That awkward moment when you realize you rated Banjo higher then Krystal, and that awkward moment when you realize you still agree with said ratings :p

Rayman Chance: 80%

MUST! RESIST! BIAS!

Rayman Chance: 40%

I won't put any 3rd party character over 50% other then Ryu, not because I think they are unlikely, far from it, but because there are too many unpredictable variables in regards to those characters. Deals that could be made, if Sakurai considers them special cases, etc. But as far as 3rd parties go, I'd say Rayman is one of the most likely. Ubisoft wants him as DLC, they probably wanted him into the initial roster as well, he's got fans that want him, he's got THREE trophies in the game already, and he's got enough legacy behind him that might get Sakurai to consider him.

I'd love to write a huge essay on why i think Rayman has a shot, but honestly, @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux said it better then I ever could.

Rayman Want: 100%

I'd put this higher if I could. Rayman is my childhood, I've wanted him to get into Smash Bros ever since I played the 64 version, and getting my hopes raised and crushed by that fake leak stunk. This is a childhood dream I've held onto for years, I'd burst into tears if it actually happened.

Snake Predictions: 56%

Veteran character, and Ryu destroys a lot of the arguments against him.

Noms: Quote x5

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
RAYMAN
Chance: 15%
Want: 40%

Still too lazy to type pros and cons. But I think he's the next major 3rd party character for the next Smash game.

SNAKE
23%

Nominate: Elmax5

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Rayman
Nominations:
Could we nominate the same character again? Cuz if so then..
Mach Rider x3
But if not then..
Ice Climbers x5
King K. Rool x5
You may want to rethink the K Rool nomination since we already rated him...also 5 nominations total unless you win the prediction from the previous round...

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
RAYMAN

Chance: 65%

This all comes down to whether or not Sakurai cares enough to make Rayman playable. Sure, he has a model in the game, but that's all it is so far. We don't know if Sakurai is actually going to care enough about Rayman to make a moveset from the ground up (I still don't know if Sakurai has seen the publicity of the ArtsyOmni leak). We also don't know the full backstory of why the trophies are in the game in the first place except for the fact that Sakurai himself asked for them. For all we know, he could have just added them for the sake of adding them (though I don't like to think that he did).

I'll say this, Rayman's chances are higher than any other third-party, but it really comes down to Sakurai's Rayman knowledge (if he has any).

This would be a dream come true for me. I'm saying this not just as a fan of Nintendo, but a fan of gaming as a whole.

Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Rayman, and Solid Snake all have a great history across dozens of gaming platforms. The Super Smash Brothers franchise has always been a big family reunion for the popular :4mario: and the not-so-popular :4shulk: video game characters. No matter what you people may think of Rayman, he is a video game character through and through. He also has a 20 year history with the world. Sure, you wouldn't see him on t-shirts as much as Mario, Sonic, and Pac-Man, but he has touched our hearts one way or another with just how zany he is.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Day 11: Rayman - Hero of the Glade of Dreams:
Chances: 67% ++He's already got three trophies in the base game, which is suspicious in itself since nobody expected him to appear at that time (Before Robin and Lucina's trailer)
++The A-OK from Ubisoft themselves, and a dedicated fanbase thanks to ArtsyOmni and his Smashification!
++Plenty of potential to draw from, be it from Rayman 1, 3 (which has lots of potential in the combat fatigues such as the LockJaw and Heavy Metal Fist, which also provides alternate costume inspiration!), Origins and Legends!
+Can be used to celebrate Rayman's 20th birthday this year, and I think that'd be a nice way to commemorate Ubisoft's mascot.
~If and when Ryu is included and Rayman is added in as DLC, that'll bring the roster to 5 third party characters, that is if they don't see Ryu as the last call for Third Party inclusions, so Ryu could be a challenge.
~Some may write him off completely because of their views on Ubisoft's actions with recent games.

Want: 89% Rayman is easily my most wanted Third-Party newcomer since I played Rayman 3 on the Gamecube as a kid and loved it. It wasn't until Rayman's trophy appeared just before the ultimate hype trailer for Robin and Lucina that made me think of him in the context of Super Smash Bros. The 'leak' by ArtsiOmni was a double-edged sword, gave us a morale boost while also being a joke. Regardless, I'm proud to support Rayman as DLC, and would love to see him added into the game!

Predictions for Snake: 46%
Nomination: Ridley X2
Black Mage X2
Young Link X1

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Rayman
Chance- 20%
Way too tired to give detailed explanations, but trust I'm not too tired to give a decent score. Rayman does seem like he might have a chance, already having some presence in the game, and he is sort-of-kind-of-iconic. Ehh, close enough, probably. I knew more about him then I did about Snake before Brawl (though I was quite young at the time, which might have something to do with it).
Want- 40%
Rayman is somewhat cool, but I'm not too interested in a lot more third parties. I wouldn't be that offended if he got in, though.

Snake Predictions- 24%
Oh look, Snake. I was just talking about you.
Nominations:
Ice Climbers x5

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
You know how sometimes a kid can get screwed out of something because one of their parents is being a massive jerkass? This is one of those situations.

--

Rayman

Chance: 15%

The Limbless Wonder's been on everyone's minds ever since @HextupleyooDOT pulled off his famous fake leak. A support base sprung up overnight when it looked like he was in, and they've stuck around so far. Rayman's never been one of the major faces of gaming--he's always been a bit of a second-tier character, and that still applies. He's not as iconic as Sonic, Mega Man, or Pac-Man, but he's arguably close to Snake, and at worst not that far behind. It puts him in an ambiguous situation: while Smash has started pulling from Nintendo's lesser known characters, there are still so many third party ones that iconic status is very likely still important.

As far as moveset goes, though, he's actually really well off. Rayman's moveset potential is surprisngly high, as this Youtuber points out. There're techniques at his disposal from a decent amount of games, and Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends in particular gave him a lot of attacks that'd translate easily into Smash. He certainly wouldn't get vetoed for lack of uniqueness.

So what'll likely prevent him from having a shot? Ubisoft.

In the last couple years, Rayman's patron company has put up a track record of the worst kind. They've turned their flagship series into annual releases, sent out games that were glitchy and unfinished, and altogether have acted like Mr. Burns is at the helm...or Giovanni, if you're more of a gamer than a TV-watcher. Ubisoft had Wii U ports of their games set up left and right, with Rayman Legends as a system exclusive and with Nintendo themselves publishing the game in Japan (which is why the Rayman series trophies are there, y'see). It was a win-win situation bound to pay off for both sides.

And then Ubisoft's powers that be decided Nintendo wasn't worth it. Rayman Legends was suddenly announced for other consoles, then the already-finished Wii U version delayed seven months, without the developers' consent, so that every version would come out at the same time. The promised Wii U versions of their major games disappeared. It was as if they suddenly saw Nintendo less as a business partner and more as an inferior company for them to exploit.

So here's what I wonder: Why would Nintendo so willingly collaborate with a company that just recently stabbed them in the back and has shown no remorse for doing it? With so many other characters to choose from, it doesn't seem very likely.

Want: 25%
He could be interesting, I'll give him that. His newest games gave him a lot of moves so tailor-made that you might wonder if Smash was an inspiration. And yet...considering the circumstances, adding him in right now just wouldn't feel right.

Snake Prediction: 31.25%
I see a lot of scores on both ends for this one as well. Some will argue veteran status, while others will argue the difficulty of being third party and Nintendo's soured relationship with Konami.

Nominations: Sceptile x5

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
Rayman:
Chance: 30%
He's third party, but he's got great popularity going for him, and he's from an iconic series.

Want: 50%
Seems like he would make a good fighter, I haven't played rayman since the N64, but I enjoyed his old games.

Prediction: snake: 60%

Nomination: 5x monster hunter.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Rayman
Chances: 40%
Want: 10%
I haven't really played any Rayman games but I do find Rayman a bit interesting and if he gets in I wouldn't really mind.

Nominate: Geno x3
Sora x1
Lloyd Irving x1

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Woohoo Rayman let's
Pros
He is an icon to the gaming industry.
He has trophies already in the game dedicated to his own series.
He's a pretty popular third party for the ballot.
He's the mascot of one of the biggest gaming companies after Nintnedo Sega Capcom and Namco.
He's had games on Nintnedo systems before.
We don't know why there were trophies before the game released and they do have the rights to use him.
He has a moveset potential something Sakurai goes on about for a quality character especially for third party.
Rayman Legends was actually published in Japan by Nintendo themselves.
Would fit into Smash perfectly.

This seems to be decent enough to warrant a spot, I think Rayman is one of the few third parties that they'll consider however let's look at some Cons:
Cons:
Like people, said Ubisoft has kind of ditched Nintendo a couple times in the past year. (I think this is just a silly excuse, company drama shouldn't keep a character from getting excluded).
People may not get excited for him as they were when the leak came.
He's not that popular in Japan and has somewhat of a low following over there than here.
Had lost chances when Legends and Origins when it was Wii U and 3DS were exclusive (This could've helped if he got in on the initial roster, but, like I said its kind of petty reason that people take too seriously. Does Nintendo and Ubisoft have to be enemies now just because they lost an exclusive deal NO. Companies do it all the time I don't understand what makes Ubisoft get backlash by something that other companies do all the time as well?

The reasons seem to match up here, let take a look at how he fairs out.

Chance: 50%
I wish I could give him a higher but because he is third party any third party is almost 50/50 at this point. I do think he has a good chance. It's not fair that you people are just shutting him out because Ubisoft hasn't been playing nice to Nintendo. The relationship has been getting better. Both companies seem to be willing to forgive and forget. They put him as a trophy and Nintendo seem to acknowledge the series and Sakuari accepted him as a trophy. So if that not way for saying "We burried the hatchet now you people can calm down and shush about the whole situation, I don't know what else will. He is an icon people say he's not but he is . He's been around for twenty years people. It doesn't matter where he got his start. Most third parties didn't start on Nintnedo neither should we exclude them from the game for that? Capcom relationship has been nonexistent for years before Megaman got revealed for Smash 4 should we exclude Megaman from the game too? This is coming from a Megaman fan mind you.

Rayman is one of my favorite video game characters. He would fit in perfectly in the Smash universe. Putting him there with some of my other personal favorites it'd be a dream. Rayman was apart of my childhood. His moveset would be incredible. Most of his moves can just be pulled from Legends alone. While I'm not going to hold my breath over him as possible though it would just be awesome in my books to actually see him playable.

Snake: 45%
It would've been at 50 but Im not too sure on Snake anymore than I used to be. He is a veteran that I would like to see come back, just so that all of those naysayers can shut up and so that Snake fans can finally have their last laugh, though there is also another Konami rep that I kind of would like to see.
Nomination: Impa

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Chance 10%. Sakurai seems to have already rejected Rayman with that trophy, the only reason he has hype is because of that bogus leak.

Want 10%. He's a remotely iconic 3rd party character so he's somewhat deserving (Unlike many other suggestions), I just have some personal distaste for him as a certain individual has ruined the character for me.

Predict Snake 15%

Nominate Dragon Quest Slime x5

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Rayman
Chance: 20%
He's relatively popular, a big enough name, and present on Nintendo systems, but he's not topping the charts or anything, and he was seemingly already rejected before.

However people who think Nintendo is specifically mad at Ubisoft seem to have forgotten Nintendo's relationship with the other third-parties have been in an even worse place this gen. Ubisoft still supported them longer than anyone else who wasn't Sega, and that was contractual. When the third-parties were cancelling their Wii U ports left and right Ubisoft was the last pillar of support. Sure they bailed eventually, but that was hardly their fault, and Nintendo probably knows that.

Want: 20%
He's very meh for me. And lets not pretend 90% of you wouldn't care much about him either if not for the leak.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Cons:
Like people, said Ubisoft has kind of ditched Nintendo a couple times in the past year. (I think this is just a silly excuse, company drama shouldn't keep a character from getting excluded).
People may not get excited for him as they were when the leak came.
He's not that popular in Japan and has somewhat of a low following over there than here.
Had lost chances when Legends and Origins when it was Wii U and 3DS were exclusive (This could've helped if he got in on the initial roster, but, like I said its kind of petty reason that people take too seriously. Does Nintendo and Ubisoft have to be enemies now just because they lost an exclusive deal NO. Companies do it all the time I don't understand what makes Ubisoft get backlash by something that other companies do all the time as well?
Call them petty reasons all you want but recall the reason why Snake is currently not in the game...What Ubisoft has done may greatly factor into Rayman's inclusion into the game or not...

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
90% of you wouldn't care much about him either if not for the leak.

Well no, a lot of us in the Rayman support thread have been wanting this character from the beginning. Yes the leak may have helped him but there are people out there who genuinely want this character in. So no, it's just the leak or trophies. These are just evidence of his chances. Its also more of wanting one of favorite charcaters to get in.

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
Rayman
Chance: 40%
This is mostly based on the fact that Rayman has 3 trophies in the game, and Rayman's trophy had 2 different models for some inexplicable reason. Also, Rayman seems to have been getting a lot mileage from inadvertent "leaks" or anything that links him to the possibility of being a playable character. First, it was the advent of his trophy. Second, was the supposed leak by Nintendo of Canada's Matt Ryan. And third, was pretty much the Artsy Omni leak. Apparently fans are asking the Rayman Team and Ubisoft about his inclusion, and both seem to approve.

By the way, Nintendo being open to 3rd-party characters in the fighter ballot could make Rayman a priority. After all, he is a long-serving video game character of almost 20 years.

I pretty much wanted him since Brawl, especially after learning that 3rd-party characters were going to be included, but I never thought it would be possible. With Rayman's 3 trophies in Smash 4, along with all the hype going for him to become DLC, I now have a glimmer of hope. He's something of a childhood favorite of mine.

Prediction: Snake - 20%
He is a veteran character, and fans have already asked Hideo Kojima about the possibility of his return, but I don't really see much rooting for him today.

Nominations: None

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Call them petty reasons all you want but recall the reason why Snake is currently not in the game...What Ubisoft has done may greatly factor into Rayman's inclusion into the game or not...
Well I did say that Snakes chances aren't looking too great but then again I can say that for tons of third parties. Ubisoft isn't the only developer that delays or don't bring games to the table all the time. Besides they did eventually release them. I don't agree with most of the stuff Ubisoft do either but geez, must company drama be everything. Its not like Nintendo gone through stuff like this before with other companies before Ubisoft.

Last edited:
Top Bottom