• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Inkling
Chance: 60%
Inkling's have an excellent chance, as a brand new Nintendo IP. I think they are pretty much a lock for Smash 5, but they also have a decent shot at becoming DLC for Smash 4. Not only are they very relevant and represent a new franchise, but also have garnered a lot of votes. Frankly I wouldn't at all be surprised if they are already planned. I'm sure Nintendo want to do everything in their power to advertise their new IP, and putting the character in Smash is literally the best way to do that.

Want: 40%
Splatoon is looking like a really awesome game and I'm very excited for it. It's been too long since we had a true, Nintendo EAD AAA new IP. I really like the Inklings, and would love to see them in Smash. That said I can't be terribly excited for a character whose game I have yet to play, but I'd be very happy to see them in the game regardless. Definitely among my Top 5 most wanted.

Rayman Prediction: 15%

Nominations:
RH character x3
Themed Stage Packs x2

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Please refer to my signature if anyone needs a reminder that he can change his stance with third-parties VERY EASILY.
If I thought it was a hard rule that could never change, then I definitely would've given Shantae 0%. But I didn't.
Even with the interviews Swampasaur brought, it doesn't change the fact that he can still change his mind like with he did with fighting characters earlier.
We don't really know whether he changed his mind, or whether Nintendo changed it for him. Ryu is a great marketing choice - if Capcom had really said they wanted Ryu while Sakurai wanted Mega Man, I could see higher ups going "Hmmmm... Ryu in $ma$h..." He's going to sell a ton of copies. I don't know that anyone will buy a Wii U/Smash for him, but it will certainly be more people than would buy them for Shantae.

If he's in, I'm now kinda expecting a Ryu trailer for E3. Because that's one of the most hype things Nintendo could drop at E3, honestly. Sakurai's desires might not have anything to do with it.

But guess what that kind of reasoning does not apply to? Minor characters who won't sell as many DLC copies and won't cause as much marketing hype. Sakurai has to change his mind all on his own and advocate for Shantae/whoever to Nintendo despite her not being the best marketing/sales choice. Because I don't see any Nintendo execs pressuring Sakurai to put Shantae in. Sakurai doesn't have to want Ryu for Ryu to be in.

And the other issue is then: why this non-iconic 3rd party rather than a different one? Why not Shovel Knight? He'd get more hype I think. Why not Professor Layton with his long Nintendo history? Why not Quote who's an indie darling? Why not Namco's own Klonoa? Why not a Bravely Second character? Why not a Nintendo-platform Final Fantasy protag? When you get away from the super-icons, there's also a lot more competition, because only a few characters are iconic and most are not. You inherently just have to give them lower scores.
It's not going to be fun at all if were to bring up the "iconic" argument every time we rate a non-iconic third-party character.
But it's always going to be a relevant argument, for the reasons I just gave. Sorry?

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I
We don't really know whether he changed his mind, or whether Nintendo changed it for him. Ryu is a great marketing choice - if Capcom had really said they wanted Ryu while Sakurai wanted Mega Man, I could see higher ups going "Hmmmm... Ryu in $ma$h..." He's going to sell a ton of copies. I don't know that anyone will buy a Wii U/Smash for him, but it will certainly be more people than would buy them for Shantae.
If this was the case, and they would not allow for Nintendo to put Mega Man over Ryu, I feel like Sakurai would have given up on a Capcom character, so their might have been a deal, we put Mega Man in now, Ryu later. Sakurai most likely wants to give the original mascots their spotlight (especially noting Mega Man's life in Capcom now, aka non-existant), and it seems like Ryu is the current mascot just because they're so focused on Street Fighting games.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't want it to be another Golden Sun where people pushed this like the next big thing and feel completely off after one bad game like Dark Dawn.
People were pushing for GS long before DD was even a glimmer in Camelot's eye.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Chance 35%: This is a high rating coming from me. I still think it would go against the ballot and Nintendo would want to make sure the new IP doesn't bomb before including them in Smash Bros. Of course, I could see them just advertise it the same way they did Roy and Greninja against the consumer's best interest, hence them having any kind of chance.

Want 0%

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
If I thought it was a hard rule that could never change, then I definitely would've given Shantae 0%. But I didn't.

If he's in, I'm now kinda expecting a Ryu trailer for E3. Because that's one of the most hype things Nintendo could drop at E3, honestly. Sakurai's desires might not have anything to do with it.

But guess what that kind of reasoning does not apply to? Minor characters who won't sell as many DLC copies and won't cause as much marketing hype.[...]
There's marketing for Smash Brothers and its DLC...

...and then there's marketing for the games of the characters that are in Smash Bros. Three Shantae games are on sale on the Nintendo eShop right now, and having her in Smash Bros would boost the sales of those games tremendously, *and* could also open the Japanese market to those games.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Inkling
Chance: 50%
I was originally going to rate higher, but after reading what people said yesterday in their predictions for this character, I decided to lower my expectations a bit. I figured that the Inkling is the epitome of a character that could happen, but just as easily might not happen at all. Though I have to say that I don't really understand the arguments that the Inkling's game isn't out yet so they won't get considered. They'll obviously be a ballot character if they were to make it in as playable, and the ballot ends this October. By the time they create the character and set a planned release date, their game probably would have been out for over a year. Their chances rely mostly on whether or not this game does well. By October we'll probably know as well as Nintendo, Sakurai, and the developers of Smash 4 whether it's a success or not. If the game does well, I'll consider them a pretty likely pick. For now, I'll give the ink shooting squids a 50%.
I'd say they definitely have an inkling of a chance at becoming playable...

Want: 85%
I know a lot of people were holding off giving them a want or high want percent until the game actually releases, and I definitly think that's a smart and intelligent thing to do. I'm going to have to be that guy though who's impatient because he already expects to love the game the Inklings star in; therefore, I'm going to give them a high want rating before I even play the game. I think they have a lot of move set potential, and I would probably love playing as them.

Prediction - Rayman: 14.9%

Nominations:
x3 Tetra
x2 Toon Zelda

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
@ A10theHero A10theHero , you are the winner of FIVE extra bonus nominations to spend how you please for being the closest predictor of Shantae's score.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
People were pushing for GS long before DD was even a glimmer in Camelot's eye.
Yeah but Golden Sun suffered from not being as marketed as hard as other Nintendo RPGs and doesn't have the backing like Splatoon.

Plus I'm meant more of fans making this the next major Nintendo franchise when it barely passed Custom Robo and still trailing a mile behind Punch Out

Bill Nye

Smash Rookie
Inklings
Chance: 35%
Splatoon will probably sell well, and they already have a fanbase. They still face competition from many other Nintendo icons, but they are likely leading the pack as far as the ballot goes.

Want: 10%
I wouldn't be mad if they got in. I'm sure they'll be fun to play, but I have no connection to them and would therefore be disapointed.

Nominations: Henry Fleming x 2
Ridley x 3

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah but Golden Sun suffered from not being as marketed as hard as other Nintendo RPGs and doesn't have the backing like Splatoon.

Plus I'm meant more of fans making this the next major Nintendo franchise when it barely passed Custom Robo and still trailing a mile behind Punch Out
Well... it was marketed fairly decently for something that wasn't Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, or Wii whatever back then. It had time dedicated to it at both E3 09 and 10, which is more than most c-list series can say. It simply didn't live up to the expectations.

And barely passed Custom Robo? That series only had two of its titles released outside Japan, and, even though VGChartz inflates sales numbers, according to them, Dark Dawn sold better than both of those games combined. Not to mention GS1 and 2, both of which sold over a mil.

In total, that puts GS maybe a mil behind Punch-Out. Is that really a mile?

Most people don't realize on average Golden Sun is as successful or more successful than several series already on the roster, at least at the times they were included.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Splatoon:

Chance: 45%

Insanely hyped, new ip, potential, check. Just think it's a bit too new to put in already.

Want: 50%

Indifferent, but think they could be in a sequel.

Reiman predict:

Chance: 20%

Want: 45%

Nom:

Quote x5

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
OOO the Inlkings
Chance: 50%
It's a new IP, which can either work for or against them. Already has an established fanbased (Squidboards is a thing, I think), and will most likely do well. I say they have an INKLING of a chance. Ba dum tss.

Want: 60%
The Inklings look cool enough and I would like them. But I have to play the game to make a final judgement.

Rayman Chance: 5%
Want: 1%

Nominations:
9-Volt x3
Anthony Higgs x1
Leon Powalski x1

D

Deleted member

I'm going to abstain from rating the Inkling's chances until their game comes out. I think they are plausible, but there's currently no way to tell how likely they are for DLC and I'm not sure if I agree with the notion they're inevitable for Smash 5. I can't help but get a similar vibe to Zoroark, Pac-Man, and Chrom (who were mostly expected but not wanted characters). As for want... 1%

I don't want them in at all. Originally I was really hyped for Splatoon when it got revealed at E3 last year. Over time, however, I lost interest in the game. Just as I was beginning to look into the game again, we then get the announcement that Splatoon doesn't have voice chat online at all and that killed my interest in the game. Like seriously, voice chat should be a given and there is no reason why we shouldn't have that. It seriously hurts, if not kills its competitive potential and for me, there just is no way I can justify investing in Splatoon when I won't have local friends to play with over the time it'll be relevant and I don't know if I can get a Skype match going online either. For me, Inkling's inclusion would be a reminder of Nintendo's archaic "we need to protect the kiddies!" stance that they have not learned from time and time again. I don't like the idea of that being rewarded with them being a Smash character. If they simply get fast-tracked into Smash for promotional reasons at E3, I am going to be very displeased in that one of my biggest complaints for this game's roster exacerbated. I hope Nintendo at least have the courtesy to wait until they see how Splatoon is received before putting them in. If they're ballot characters thought, fine, but I doubt I will care about their inclusion.

Ice Climber x3
Chorus Men x2

Last edited by a moderator:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I have missed this thread for quite a while. Finally to get posting again!

Chance - 30%

+ Cool possible moveset
+ Heavily promoted Nintendo IP
+ One-shot IP have been in Smash (Shulk - although now franchised)
+ Getting tons of support

- New
- Ink based moveset may get hard to execute on the 3DS
- Game isn't even out yet
- Ballot spot could go to more deserving and older characters

Want - 25%

They could be cool, plus I am interested in Splatoon BUT the game isn't even out yet. Plus I am not that looking forward to the idea of an IP that has not even started to get a rep. There are other characters which I support more and which definitely deserve a bigger chance plus they have an awesome potential moveset themselves.

Rayman Prediction - 15%

He may be somewhat of a legend plus has a history with Nintendo but I still don't see DLC characters being 3rd party maybe with the exception of Ryu who is all but confirmed. Ubisoft has also announced end of support for Wii U and what not. I just think him really unlikely. First party first.

Nominations:
Monster Hunter x 1
Andy x 2
Neku x 2

D

Deleted member

No offense XenoBrawler, but by the time Inklings would realistically be included in Smash their game will have been out for at least several months.
There is way more time for consumers to "get to know" the Inklings before they appear before Greninja.
While this may be true, putting in the Inklings feels more like a shameless plug by Nintendo. I guess you can say the same for Greninja, but putting the Inklings in would make it feel like that even more so by putting in characters from a very new IP.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
For those who remain wholly invested in the "legendary 3rd party" rule, might just want to keep this in mind when rating or speculating:
The longer you hold onto the "iconic" mentality with third-parties, something that no longer exists with Nintendo newcomers, the more its going to sting when the "rule" is broken, whether it be this time or next or whenever, because eventually it will break. Third-party inclusions are unpredictable, Sakurai is a liar, the indies are super motivated, some are fairly close with Nintendo, and popularity is pretty important nowadays.

I commend those people who try to apply logic and precedent to the third-parties, however third-parties are debatably the most unpredictable part of the roster. For every Sonic and Mega Man, there's a Snake and a Ryu. You think arguing logic and precedent would've ended up in favour of those two prior to their inclusions? Not to say logic and precedent aren't unimportant, but Smash fans should recognize that when it comes to creating and therefore predicting the roster, you've got to think outside the box as much as you're going to think inside it.

I'm not saying everyone should start expecting an indie, but opening yourself up to the possibility couldn't hurt.
Inkling

Chance - 50%: It's a straight toss-up with these celaphodic splat-slingers. It really could go either way. As if Nintendo would want to promote their game awhile after a positive release. Or if they would want to give newer franchises more room to grow overtime before considering them for a new game.

We don't know if this Smash will make more recent characters viable as DLC, just by virtue of expanding the lifespan of the game into the future release line. So I give the Inklings a solid 50% due to the fact that they have all the right factors to be supported (after release). It's only a question of if the fans want them enough. Their characters and even there game have a considerable amount of hype behind them. By the impressions we're getting of Splatoon, it looks like the hype will deliver and make a strong start for this ambitious new franchise. Although, there's always the possibility that Splatoon reeks of chum on release or performs lower than initially expected.

There's no question about their uniqueness. The Inklings could fill a niche of a sniping zoner with huge interplay between AoE mechanics. They could use their various ink-based guns and painting equipment to litter ink onto the ground, which could give them optimized buffs when they are on their ink. Almost like how Robin performs best with his tomes/Levin Sword and becomes less reliable with them expended. They could also morph into their squid forms, which allow them to hide and swim under the surface of their ink, as well as offer a rocket jump recovery attack. It would create a neat interplay in making them very immobile and heavy outside their ink, but very agile and strong within their ink. You can expect their standards and specials to utilize a higher-than-average projectile range & high priority. A directional aiming mechanic might serve them well too.

Besides the plethora of ink-based arms, their sub-weapons could spread ink in many unique ways, such as grenades, sprinklers, showers, etc. You could also take many of the platforming gimmicks found in the single player campaign for specials if you want. Oh, and the ink splatter would make great cosmetic effects too. Just imagine shooting your opponent with ink and having ink droplets stain their texture. Maybe more powerful attacks would straight-up palette swap them! It would disintegrate after awhile though.

Want - 30%: If this was Smash 5, I'd be rallying for the Inklings. Their franchise hasn't even came out of the womb and it should be allowed to grow and not be truncated. It would be shortsighted to include them like a year or two after release, special design exceptions or marketing nonwithstanding. Depending on the gap between the end of the current dev cycle (because clearly Smash 4's isn't over) and the next, there's going to be a fresh amount of Nintendo creative capital, with already 2 new IPs locked down. And boy they better spread it wide, because SSB5 only has so many iconic Nintendo characters left to choose as newcomers, while the lot are B-listers and fan favorites. If Splatoon becomes a hit or even gets a cult following, that's an easy A-list spot to secure for SSB5. And may the gods be gracious if we'll get an SSB6.

But, if it came down to us getting the Inklings in SSB4, I would just deal with it and praise the character. Because I do already.

Rayman

Chance - 75.7%
Want - 85.9%

Concept: No DLC Characters After Fighter Ballot x3
Galacta Knight x2

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
What's with the eye roll? How does it make him unbalanced exactly?
Okay maybe "Unbalanced by default" was a little exaggerated but I felt like you were comparing an hypothetical custom Mewtwo to the vanilla rest of the roster while I'm actually doing the reverse - comparing vanilla Mewtwo to the rest of the cast with access to custom moves. The entire point of them is to open the door to more playstyles and strategic possibilities like combos, etc. and if Mewtwo lacks them then he has has an automatic and unfair disadvantage against the rest of the cast which benefits from their customs, unless you manage to make him worth using in such a ruleset while still making him balanced for a vanilla (non-custom) ruleset. And if you want my opinion, that is 10x harder than balancing Mewtwo's custom moves :upsidedown:

Also considering they're not allowed in For Glory I'm not even sure if Sakurai cares much about custom moves being balanced. They admittedly nerfed Charizard's Dragon Rush (side B number 3), but I doubt all balance changes are done with 1vs1 no item neutral stage stock battle ruleset in mind anyway (I believe it originally dealt almost as much as damage as the original Flare Blitz in Smash 3DS pre-patch, so I think it's more of a "make the move more faithful to what we intended it to do" rather than a proper balance change).

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Inklings
Chance: 55%

+ Potential for awesome movesets
+ Fairly popular from the get-go
+ Brand new IP that Smash could market
~+ Relevant because of new game in May
+ Already going to have amiibos of them available
+/- The success of the game might sway Nintendo's opinion. If it does poorly, they might not want to sell it (especially since they've advertised it so much; if it fails, they might just rage-quit with it)
+/- I don't know what Sakurai thinks for sure, but the fact that they're brand new may or may not affect his opinion. I know in past games, Smash has advertised for brand new characters (Roy and to a lesser extent Marth), but I'm not sure if he'll repeat this.

Want: 90%
:088::mad088:

Prediction:
Rayman: 7%

Nomination:
Spyro the Dragon [x10]

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
inkling change:50%
i personally believe there changes aren't in the hands of sakurai but nintendo.If nintendo believes that splatoon needs a bit more advertisting than yeah inkling is pretty much gonna be in the game however if they believe spaltoon can sell will without the smash apperance than i exepct to see them in smash 5.I really don't think sakurai has word in the option.

Inkling want:30%

they'll be cool characters and would be without a doubt have an intereesting moveset.However i feel they are just to new to really have ve in the game yet.This isn't a roy situtation as this they are from an entirely new series and not a series with a history with nintendo already.And i feel they would be better suited from smash 5 as by that time i think will have a splatoon 2 and would be a perfect newcomer

rayman prediction:10.67%(if any othr 3rd parties are to go by)

slippy x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Inklings

Chance - 20% - Depending on how the ballots go, I can see them getting in. A bit too new to be notable, but at the very least they're a lock for the next game. I know the ballot goes on for a while after the game, though, so I still consider it reasonably possible.

Want - 70% - I'm already a bit hyped for the game, but I would like to wait just a bit for more of them.

Rayman prediction - 21.45% - I haven't a clue, but being third party won't help.

Nominations
New Guidances X3
Anna (FE) X2

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Well... it was marketed fairly decently for something that wasn't Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, or Wii whatever back then. It had time dedicated to it at both E3 09 and 10, which is more than most c-list series can say. It simply didn't live up to the expectations.

And barely passed Custom Robo? That series only had two of its titles released outside Japan, and, even though VGChartz inflates sales numbers, according to them, Dark Dawn sold better than both of those games combined. Not to mention GS1 and 2, both of which sold over a mil.

In total, that puts GS maybe a mil behind Punch-Out. Is that really a mile?

Most people don't realize on average Golden Sun is as successful or more successful than several series already on the roster, at least at the times they were included.

But time changes but look at some of those franchises

F-Zero had GX which commercially flopped and Climax hurt the series by not being advertised more. Mother's latest game didn't release in the West which lets be fair probably would had done well due to NOA calling it Earthbound again for sales. Fire Emblem didn't have the advertisement that it needed like FEA got. And not counting the retro series like Kid Icarus (at Brawl's release) and the like, Golden Sun wasn't up there with most franchises.

And some franchises ie FE didn't get western releases for most of games. When I say Franchises like Punch Out or even Advance Wars, they still had a pull and mainstay with Nintendo, they weren't big but they trumped Golden Sun.

GS for millions on their first 2 games but the reason I said it wasn't but because Nintendo didn't capitalize on it truly.

Compared the Xeboblade which both NOJ and NOA both saw something not took at it like crazy. They didn't with GS like they did, that why I compared Splatoon in theory where hopefully Nintendo will capitalize on it but first letting it develop before trying to hang with Nintendo's major series. Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, Star Fox, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and DK has that major swing of influence and popularit that it established.

Splatoon just needs to build its foundation.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Geez the ratings are all over the place. :O
I'm really liking it.

I have some things to say:
Please refer to my signature if anyone needs a reminder that he can change his stance with third-parties VERY EASILY.
Even with the interviews Swampasaur brought, it doesn't change the fact that he can still change his mind like with he did with fighting characters earlier. It's not going to be fun at all if were to bring up the "iconic" argument every time we rate a non-iconic third-party character.

Also if you're here to give a very low rating just to balance out the ratings, just don't rate at all, that isn't an honest rating. (I regretfully did this when it came to Muddy Mole back in the day, I've gotten a lot of flak for it.)

And I'm sure Risky's Revenge has been released in Japan.
I've seen multiple articles stating about it's release two years.

It appears there seems to be no Japanese release.. hmm.
The fact that all the characters we've seen in Smash have a legacy behind them. Even the heavingly rumored Ryu definitely has a legacy. Shantae is just small when compared to other potential third parties we've seen. She'll stick out like a sore thumb and I mean this in a bad way, she'll open up floodgates. Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Snake, Ryu all come from very well known and beloved franchises that been around for years and impacted the gaming industry, and helped revolutionize a particular genre in gaming.They are all well known household names. Shantae and Shovel Knight hasn't really done much for us gamers and are just fads for now. The fact that these two aren't really that well known in Japan hurts their chances even more.

I also hate the "advertising excuse" for characters like Shantae, Bayonetta, Shovel Knight etc. if that the case then why do they need Smash? If they're that obscure then what's the point? Third parties shouldn't need advertising to get into Smash the name should already be out there. People didn't want her before the ballot don't really see her getting in now. I'm positive Sakurai isn't going to change his mind about third parties he's created a trend with it and I think he's going to stick with it. Yes, even for DLC I'm sure he still have his rules and reasonings. People are just going to end up getting dissappoined at third parties characters, for still not getting in. Most people are being honest if they don't want her, then they don't want her. Don't force a character on us just so we can like them. We can rate them low if we like if they have a shot. If we don't likke them then let us be. You're signature means nothing it too is made up rule by you. You only made that so that the third party characters that you hope can be in so that they can be excuseable. So your signature rule is also abstain. The people that are pushing for Shantae and Shovel Knight is making me even more hesitant to try their games I've only heard praises no negatives those games can't be that flawless that people are making them out to be. I know there good games out there but even the good one have their flaws.
Play Super Smash Flash 2 if you want even more obscure third parties dang it.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't think you understand.
I'm just keeping open the possibility, all of didn't expect fighting game characters to be in because Sakurai said so until the Ryu/Roy files were found, that can easily change for non-iconic 3rd parties too.
And I'm not forcing you to like them, I just want you guys to just keep the possibility that other non-iconic third parties can join. if you keep the mindset and a non-iconic character gets in, it's gonna end up being very toxic.

And I'm sure there were Shantae supporters before the ballot, tons of them actually as I was a part of pre-Smash 4 speculation.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't think you understand.
I'm just keeping open the possibility, all of didn't expect fighting game characters to be in because Sakurai said so until the Ryu/Roy files were found, that can easily change for non-iconic 3rd parties too.
And I'm not forcing you to like them, I just want you guys to just keep the possibility that other non-iconic third parties can join.

And I'm sure there were Shantae supporters before the ballot, tons of them actually as I was a part of pre-Smash 4 speculation.
If they're not rating the character 0%, then they're not claiming that the character is an impossibility.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
As long as it's not 0%, then I'm ok with it for the most part.
Again not forcing you to like them, just keep open the possibility.

I also hate the "advertising excuse" for characters like Shantae, Bayonetta, Shovel Knight etc. if that the case then why do they need Smash? If they're that obscure then what's the point?
For the record, they aren't obscure at all, not Bubsy obscure, they are from pretty popular, relevant franchises that can get some people excited for their inclusion in Smash.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

For the record, they aren't obscure at all, not Bubsy obscure, they are from pretty popular, relevant franchises that can get some people excited for their inclusion in Smash.
Really? You may have seen Shantae be requested during preSmash 4. I've never once seen someone put Shantae for a possibility on the roster for possible third party for Smash4. She was never bought up by anyone in all honesty during pre speculation. Everyone quickly denied her here. I'm scared of even giving her a chance because really her community kind of ruined the experience of me wanting to support her.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
The Inklings huh?

Chance: 64% Inkling is doing great on the ballot polls from what I see, Nintendo is heavily promoting it, Roy was in Melee b4 his game ever came out to promote the newest FE game at the time.

Want: 10% No offense to the character or his/her fans, but I havent even played Splatoon yet, and cant be sure I'll like it b4 I play. videos are not enough for me to judge if I'm gonna enjoy it or not yet.
I know the game is going to be a high quality one ofc, becuz it's freaking Nintendo behind it! :colorful::starman: But I dont enjoy every Nintendo game as much as I do say, Zelda or Pokemon~

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990

I think I've said this before but I think Nintendo Does have a few rules they follow for characters and I only see them beak their own rules on their 1st part characters. So I know that they might have had good sales on their consoles but I think what they are looking for in a character is how Iconic they are they Need to go above and beyond and also fit in to the smash universe 3rd party has it easy But Indies I see them extremely outside the radar. Sure we got a few trophies for indie game titles but that's just it, trophies they need to have a massive main stream audience from East AND West or have a really good history with Nintendo. Again the only ones I really see having it sort of higher chance are the big company 3rd parties.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Really? You may have seen Shantae be requested during preSmash 4. I've never once seen someone put Shantae for a possibility on the roster for possible third party for Smash4. She was never bought up by anyone in all honesty during pre speculation.
She was wanted before, but mainly not expected in the main roster.

Everyone quickly denied her here. I'm scared of even giving her a chance because really her community kind of ruined the experience of me wanting to support her
You should, all of the popular indie characters people are supporting come from very good games that you can buy on the eShop.
Once you play their games, you'll understand why they support them.

I think I've said this before but I think Nintendo Does have a few rules they follow for characters and I only see them beak their own rules on their 1st part characters. So I know that they might have had good sales on their consoles but I think what they are looking for in a character is how Iconic they are they Need to go above and beyond and also fit in to the smash universe 3rd party has it easy But Indies I see them extremely outside the radar. Sure we got a few trophies for indie game titles but that's just it, trophies they need to have a massive main stream audience from East AND West or have a really good history with Nintendo. Again the only ones I really see having it sort of higher chance are the big company 3rd parties.
If that's your view, ok then, but I'll just remain open to the possibility.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
She was wanted before, but mainly not expected in the main roster.

You should, all of the popular indie characters people are supporting come from very good games that you can buy on the eShop.
Once you play their games, you'll understand why they support them.

If that's your view, ok then, but I'll just remain open to the possibility.
hey I never said they don't have a chance I just see it low but if their in their in if their not their not no sense in complaining right?

Old School Tommy

Smash Cadet
Inklings:

Chance: 10% (Inklings are overrated imo. Just because they have an amiibo, it does't mean they're pretty much guaranteed for Smash. MP 10 has their own amiibos)
Want: 30%

Rayman prediction: 10%

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/251612-...much-smash-bros-dlc-as-possible-made-for-fans
It’s a huge undertaking to create a fighter, so I think we can’t make them in large quantities. I’d also like to feel refreshed when the project is over. However, since we have decided to tackle [DLC] once, I’d like to offer as much fun [content] as possible. It will take a while from now, but please look forward to it.
Would this change any of your views with DLC having more than 10+ characters now?

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
INKLINGS!!
Chance: 35% - On one hand it definitely seems unlikely that Sakurai would put a character in Smash without knowing how successful the franchise will been, on the other hand Nintendo has been promoting this game like crazy. Splatoon has already recieved lots of coverage from almost every Nintendo direct since E3 and Inklings themselves already have three Amiibos. I don't remember the last time Nintendo advertised a new IP this much, where was all this promotion when Wonderful 101, Pushmo World or Code Name S.T.E.A.M. were in development?
Want: 90% - I love their design and I think they'll turn out to be fun characters to use.

Rayman prediction: 10%

Nominations: Henry Flemming x5 (Finally beat his game today)

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Hey so the Inklings huh well let take a look at these guys:
Let's look at some pros.
Pros:
From a new IP, that may be "Nintendo's New Secret Weapon".
Relevant, about to have their game released next month.
More than likely could show up as another preballot character.
Nintendo wants this to be one of their next big-hitter franchises "not named Mario, Pokemon, or Legend of Zelda".
Gameplay has been shown for possible moveset potential.
Customization available for both gender, weaponry, and clothing.
Already receiving positive reactions even with their game not out by just playing demos.
Getting requested by the ballot from the community and are pretty popular and plausible newcomers that is first party.
They have their own Amiibos that's compatiable with their own game and may work for Smash.
Possible characters that would attract Sakuari's attention.

Wow there's actually a lot going for them here actually.

But let's look at some Cons
Cons
Nintendo may think that they're not ready for Smash yet.
Needs more exposure.
The game may end up flopping.
May want to be saved for a possible Smash 5 newcomer.
May have to have more games under their belt.

Chances: 75%
This is as high as I'll go for now. The Inklings are pretty popular. Even without their game being out, they could end up being the new Fire Emblem of Smash Bros. It seems like something Nintendo would do. The Amiibos are also there which is all something that Smash have. I don't see why the Inkling won't show up here.

Want: 100%
Again this seem like a character that would attract Sakuari. They have moveset potential. It'll be another customizable character to add to the roster. They'll be heavy projectile users something we don't much of in Smash. It would be a new IP to have some kind of representation. We can get stages, trophies, items from this new universe. I have this gut feeling that the Inkling will make it as another pre-ballot DLC character they can easily get revealed at E3 or in a direct. We know a good bit about them already. Sakuari have to had known about Splatoon before we even did. They'll totally fit into the Smash Universe.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
We're on to the new IP now, Inkling. Messiest character yet~

Here's my picture of the categories I'll use for assessing characters again again...
These points are for making a best estimate of their chances, although the weight of each category is still unknown at this time. Other unforeseen factors could keep the character from being added. I'll likely post this at the start of all my assessments.

Inkling

Popularity
The Inklings of Splatoon are riding the high of having an imminent game release, being cool and interesting looking, being unique, having no preconceptions weighing them down, and making sense from a marketing standpoint to become DLC. Most polls I've seen, they're often top 5 newcomer material. People are really just starting to believe they'll get in too, even if they're not huge supporters. The theory is that Nintendo would try to cash in on what they expect to be a big franchise. The jury's still out on the game, but we can't deny they're putting a lot of marketing effort into Splatoon. People like fresh faces too, and the Inklings seem like they could be it.

Importance
The Inklings are a kind of "squid children" that represent Splatoon's brand, but no one Inkling is a main character or anything. This does open up the possibility for several alt looks a la Villager however. The most recognizable Inkling is arguably the default female Inkling. Lots of people instantly feel in love with her design specifically, but even more so just to concept of the characters. It terms of what they mean in the grand scheme of things? Well, they're relevant, but they have no history and haven't even proved to be the next big property of Nintendo's although they're being pushed that way.

Uniqueness
The Inklings could really present some very unique characters. Not only are they diverse in a appearance, but they're weapons of choice could potentially introduce a whole different appearance to the game... quite literally. It's hard for me to wrap my head around how they'd do this, but Inklings use paint guns and their weapons imply an ability to paint opponents at the very least. Could we really see a whole new texturing algorithm added to Smash for the Inkling weapons? Would be pretty awesome to see Mario completely covered in yellow paint or something. I imagine it wouldn't be too far from what they do for metal characters, except the colors and texturing would be different obviously. I don't see painted characters getting partially covered since that would require a bit much game coding to do and it just seems too busy of a feature to toss in the game for a single character. Partial painting of stages seems unlikely too unless it's something a single move could do in a specific way, although I could see a Final Smash completely covering every texture on screen in paint. Beyond the main gimmick of Inkling's weapons, we have a variety of ways to attack. I could see Inklings having paint pistols, paint bombs, paint mines, paint rollers, paint brushes, paint buckets, paint anything really being a tool for attacking. It's definitely a unique gimmick to base a moveset around that no one comes close to claiming too.

Relevance
Inklings are relevant. Or, at least, they're on the brink of relevancy. They've appeared in many directs and advertising for Nintendo, and the company thinks they could be the next big thing. They're arguably relevant even pre-release simply because Nintendo has been doing well to give them exposure. Nintendo's been pushing them so hard in fact that some believe the next logical step from the company would be to push them into the Smash roster. Whether the Inklings will get such love remains to be seen. As it is, it appears they're relevancy is only going to get greater until the day their game releases, at which point they'll be moving into the realm of increasing importance and perhaps even more popularity.

Representation
Inklings are part of a new IP that may or may not be a franchise title. They are the face of this new IP though and assuming it continues on to success, they're the only choice for representation of their game. I'm undecided on whether Inkings are ready though. I'll just say that, yes, they could use the representation if they live up to their hype.

Limitations
The only thing really limits Inklings is that they're an untested property. Some say they push from Nintendo and marketing opportunities overshadow this, but it truly remains to be seen what risks Nintendo is willing to make. They're popularity isn't Isaac and K. Rool levels either so assuming we get very little DLC it could be a lot of competition for them to get in past other "best of the rest" contenders. Many see Inklings as having an edge even if they're popularity isn't as big as Isaac or K. Rool because relevance and marketing opportunities though, and there's a belief out there that whether we want them or not doesn't matter because we might just get them anyways. I don't think it's that clear however.

Final Assessment

Chance: 55%

They're popular enough and I think there may be enough of a marketing opportunity there to get a little boost. The risk involved in backing an untested property prevents me from bumping their chances as high as the marketing opportunity alone would. I think a character like Wolf is a much much safer and more obvious marketing opportunity in the near future, and Krystal may qualify along with him. Still, 55% is not bad odds by my standards. Nearly as good as Krystal and Isaac who are from tested properties that are either just as popular or more so than Inkling.

Want: 35%

I'm just not quite sold yet. I think this character needs more of a chance to prove itself. I like the possibilities though.

~~~~

Here's how I think the thread will vote for Rayman...

Prediction for Rayman

Chance: 15.1%
Want: 51.5%

~~~~

2 Points to Snake~
2 Points to Sceptile - (that one's for you Delzethin!)
1 Point to Bayonetta?

I don't want to pick Wolf because I don't think it would be interesting even though I really want him too.

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
INKLINGS
CHANCE: 43.29%
Want: 45.19%
We may not know much about their game but that didn't stop the Inklings from getting a decent score. Next up we're rating Rayman. He already has a trophy but can he go further? Also please predict what score Snake will get tomorrow.

D

Deleted member

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/251612-...much-smash-bros-dlc-as-possible-made-for-fans

Would this change any of your views with DLC having more than 10+ characters now?
It doesn't change my views either way. I still expect eight or nine DLC characters and although I do think ten or more is plausible, it's a viewpoint I've maintained before.

As for Rayman, I will rate later. I don't really see the case for Rayman, but I will wait and see what other says before throwing in my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom