• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Troykv

Smash Master
Bandana Dee

Chance: 25%

If by adding to the character of Kirby, he is the most obvious choice, but turns out to be a character that produces mixed views on people, and also could be considered to be ignoring considering the "Sakurai Bias"

Want: 65%

Not exactly the character I most want to see, but Kirby is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises and would love to see Bandana Dee usable.

Personally, I don't care, at least in terms of chance.

This isn't some ordinary leak, it's actual data that was found on the 3DS version, PATCHED into the 3DS version no less. Apart from Sakurai trolling us (Which I suppose is a possibility) you can't really question the legitimacy of that. I'm curious for the want scores, but that's something that we should wait before doing.
It isnt "should they be rated " but when

Right now some people are very clearly salty as hell. Givd them a few days to settle before they get rated imo.

Personally my want would be high even if i hate playing SF

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It may be a good idea to wait a bit....perhaps even until the leak has been either fully confirmed or denied...

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'd like to just point out, while Bandana Dee didn't become popular until Return to Dreamland, he appeared before this in Kirby Super Star's Megaton punch mini game, and his role was enhanced in the remake, Super Star Ultra, where he also appeared in the Revenge of the King sub-game. This shows that Sakurai has some acknowledgement and connection to the bandana donning waddle dee.

Also, to those of you discrediting him because he's "essentially a Koopa Troopa/Goomba" because he's a Waddle Dee, that's kinda offensive. How would you like it if someone said "eh, Mario's just essentially a normal human being." It just feels wrong to look down on him for "being a waddle dee."

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I'd like to just point out, while Bandana Dee didn't become popular until Return to Dreamland, he appeared before this in Kirby Super Star's Megaton punch mini game, and his role was enhanced in the remake, Super Star Ultra, where he also appeared in the Revenge of the King sub-game. This shows that Sakurai has some acknowledgement and connection to the bandana donning waddle dee.

Also, to those of you discrediting him because he's "essentially a Koopa Troopa/Goomba" because he's a Waddle Dee, that's kinda offensive. How would you like it if someone said "eh, Mario's just essentially a normal human being." It just feels wrong to look down on him for "being a waddle dee."
also I really don't want to be that kind of prick but you can also say that about Captain Toad but hey they gave him importance too... so ya....

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
@ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice

My vote is I suggest we freeze any nominations for Roy and Ryu for about ten days to let the idea simmer and settle. Even if it's looking almost definitely true, at the very least for the sake of the Want Score so it isn't super inflated one way.

Since Roy has pretty much won the nominations for this day, so he should be rated at the end of the cool-off period automatically since he earned the most nominations. Ryu nominations can resume on that day and he can earn his most nominated spot as well.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Bandanna Dee
Chance: 30% - Everything I have to say has already been said. The biggest obstacle standing in BD's way is that we have no idea how Sakurai views him as he has given very little attention to recent Kirby games. However he's undeniably popular and if we do get a fourth Kirby character, it will be him.
Want: 70% - The little guy can count on my support. :)

Captain Toad prediction: 22%

Nominations: Henry Fleming x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Who exactly is it offending? Bandana Dee?

I think he'll survive...

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Bandana Dee
Chance: 20% - He's a unique character who's somewhat popular, but he doesn't exactly seem like a character that would be DLC.
Want: 99% - I'd like to be proven wrong though.

Captain Toad Prediction: 18%

Nominations: Crash Bandicoot x5

Edit: I'm too slow.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
@ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice

My vote is I suggest we freeze any nominations for Roy and Ryu for about ten days to let the idea simmer and settle. Even if it's looking almost definitely true, at the very least for the sake of the Want Score so it isn't super inflated one way.

Since Roy has pretty much won the nominations for this day, so he should be rated at the end of the cool-off period automatically since he earned the most nominations. Ryu nominations can resume on that day and he can earn his most nominated spot as well.
I'd say to do Roy and Ryu on the same day if that's the case.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
No need to be rude now GhostyLure. o:
Hmm they are being ignorant.Its like saying Luigi is just green mario, he's realistically very different from Mario but people see him as nothing more than what he is (Besides mario is a human in blue overalls that wears a hat. That shoots fire balls its like every first graders dream. Isn't that generic.)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I think you make a good point. Shall we leave it up to a vote? I want hear other people's opinions on this.
It may be nice to wait. I know Roy's near the top, but I feel like ratings may be skewed. True it could mean something, but they also found the forbidden 7 sound files in Brawl, and that amounted to nothing.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Hope i'm not to late
Bandanna dee changes:45%

I feel the fact that sakurai really loves old kirby is the only thing olding him back.If it was vice versa bandaana dee probably would already be in the game kicking butt.He's a main stay in the kirby universe.Could have a unqiue moveset.And is revelant i don't see why he wouldn't be in the game besides the fact that sakurai likes old kirby more than new kirby

BD want:93%

My 4th most requested newcomer for dlc(shantae,isaac,dixie beat him out by a bit) if he gets in bet your ass i'm partying(@ Chandeelure Chandeelure if he gets i want a 1 v 1 spear battle)

Captain toad prediction: 53.76%. He may not be ready for this adventure

Shantae x1
dixie x 2
slippy x 1
ryu x 1

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
BANDANNA DEE
CHANCE: 34.99%
WANT: 59.66%
Bandanna Dee managed to do pretty well. People's want rating for this guy were all over the place as he managed to get several 100s and 0s and everything in between. @ DaUsername DaUsername I was able to get your ratings just on time.

We just finished rating one of the cutest Nintendo characters and now we move on to another just as cute. Please rate Captain Toad in both chance and want, also please predict what score Krystal will get tomorrow.

IMPORTANT: In order to give people time to cool down from the leak controversy, we are freezing Roy's and Ryu's nominations for 10 days as @ PK_Wonder PK_Wonder suggested.

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Captain Toad Likelihood: 20%
Want: 55%

Krystal: 41%

6+ total DLC characters x5

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Captain Toad
Chance: Partly serious, partly joking, how will Captain Toad even jump in the game XD? I feel like Toad would wrap up the main Mario cast (assuming captain toad and toad are the same toad), aside from Waluigi/Daisy. However, Mario now has, what, 7 reps, not including the DK crew of two and Yoshi, and I feel like that would hinder him because of peoples view of over representing. 40%
Want: I'll go partial with him, because I wouldn't hate seeing him, but I wouldn't be completely ecstatic to see him. 50%

Krystal: 35%

X5 Ice Climbers

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Darn, I missed yesterday's voting. :/
Anyways, Captain Toad
Chance: 45%
+Fairly popular character
+Relevant (even though this shouldn't really be considered a factor, it is worth mentioning)
+/- He cannot jump. While many may see this as a problem since jumping is important to Smash, this is a chance to make him a unique/gimmicky character. The Captain Toad supporters all have really good ideas. I remember suggestions like having him empty his backpack (maybe to use a projectile or something in it) to be able to jump higher (in case you don't know, the reason he can't jump is cuz of his heavy backpack). Another suggestion is having platforms appear for him to use for his "jumps." Now, the only reason this isn't soley a "+" is because I don't know if Sakurai sees this potential in him (hence the low score).
- Some might say that the Mario franchise is already "over-represented". This really isn't an issue because what a character brings to Smash is much more important than what series he/she/it originates from. (But still, like with "muhrelevance", this is still worth mentioning")

Want: 90%
I've said the same thing so many times that I'm not gonna repeat this time. Y'all should know what I think by now. :p

Prediction for Krystal:
Chance: 25%
Want: 46%

Nominations:
Spyro the Dragon [x5]

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Captain Toad
Chance: N/A this does not mean he has no chance I just have no single Idea on his stance of the chance-o-meter.... on one hand he has his own game gained a great fan base on the other 7 reps... but I don't think it has a lot to do with it but still Im in cross roads

Want: 20% although he may qualify for a heavy character I just don't know what to really say about him other than maybe(?)... I'm just really Really neutral about him

Nomination
quote x3
6+ DLC Characters x2

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Captain Toad
Chances: 25%
Want: 5%
Honestly think if he got in his moveset would be boring and/or clunky.

Krystal: 35%
Nominations: Shovel Knight x5

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Captain Toad
Chance:
15%

I don't think that he is the most likely DLC candidate.
Like Bandana Dee, he is a rising star of the Mario franchise, starring in his own levels in 3D World and soon got his own game (the sales of the latter, I dunno). He might have some potential going for him, using items from Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker and possibly have a weight mechanic.
His downsides, however, involve the fact that he isn't highly requested and the fact that he's a newcomer.
One thing that does work in his favor was that there was an image of Captain Toad sleeping with Japanese text; this text read something along the lines of "Maybe someday I will JOIN THE BATTLE! too..." Perhaps this is a hint? Maybe Captain Toad was planned before the ballot? (you'll never know with Ryu and Roy being data mined)

Want: 100%
I played Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker and I enjoyed it for what it was. It was a pretty fun game with creative levels and puzzles and I think it gives him a pretty workable moveset. Honestly, I voted for him on the ballot at my college.

Krystal Prediction: 9.45%
I think the mighty have fallen.

Nominations: Phoenix Wright 5x

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
Captain Toad 20%

He could represent the Toad species in Smash, something that a lot of people wanted since Melee, being a Mario character also helps, I mean I don't think Sakurai cares how many characters a series have :drshrug:

Want 49%

He would be cool, but I'm not a big fan of him :awesome:

Krystal: She would be REALLY cool, I'll say 60%

Rayman x 2
Shantae x 2
Dixie Kong x 1

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Captain Toad:

Chance: 35%
A lot of what I said about Bandana Dee holds for Captain Toad - they're both named characters set apart from their race of generics by the addition of a piece of headgear. However, I think Dee has the better chances. The Mario series is overrepresented anyway, and even still Waluigi and Daisy are hotly requested (despite both being involved, one as an assist, and the other as Peach's dress), which definitely saturates the Mario series. True, as the flagship of Nintendo, they're allowed (and may give Pokémon an excuse to bring back other cut Pokéveterans...come on :squirtle:!), but nothing is certain. The captain's only existed as his own unique character since Galaxy, and we definitely got the only Galaxy character anyone cares about.
However, Treasure tracker was just released, and as a bonus, works with the Toad amiibo - the only one so far which does not have a Smash equivalent. Groundwork seems to be lain to put him in.

Now this does beg the question: Is this character really some brand new Toad, or the original Toad - the dude who couldn't be bothered to give Mario the right directions to Bowser's castle - with a new job. I feel this could go either way. A lot of people are asking for Captain Toad, and I feel some of that is based on wanting the original Toad playable - which seems impossible due to some unwritten rule that a single character may not exist in Smash in more than one role, a rule which nobody has ever managed to break (except :linkmelee::younglinkmelee:. And :mariomelee::drmario:. And :4zelda::4sheik:. And :4samus::4zss:. And :4tlink:
...wait, are we sure this rule exists...?)

Want: 5%
As noted, the Mario series is a bit overrepresented, and I'd rather the classics come back before Toad-in-a-hat. Honestly, I'd give it a higher want score if it was just a vote for pull-Toad-out-of-Peach's-nether-regions-and-make-him-playable. Or just retcon her buddy to be a generic and make Doki Doki Panic's Papa playable. Or even better, bring in Daisy and/or Waluigi playable. Honestly, there are just too many characters I want higher than him, and it's a limited pool of slots.
Predictions: Krystal
Chance: 12.5%, Want: 42.5%

Nominations:
Concept: Promoting NPCs x5

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Captain Toad
Chance: 55%
I think he a better chance than most characters. He's got a new game, he's a very reconcilable character, and they could possible utilize the already present toad amiibo if they wanted to be cheap. They can get around the no jumping thing easy if they want to really make him a character. And I believe the the over represented argument falls short now that Roy is getting back in.

Want: 70%
I think he could be good choice for a character, Toad in general has enough merits to be a character, but having an actual central toad character with unique abilities is even better.

Nominations
x3 Professor Layton
x2 Snake

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Captain Toad

Chance: 20%

+ He is relevant, having played a minor role in recent 3D Mario platformers as well as appearing in his own game aaaaaand...that's all he has going for him.

-- I can't think of any negative points outside of Peach already pulling out a generic Toad for her counter move. Sakurai certainly has not been very kind to the Toad race, has he? If he ever saw moveset potential for any sort of Toad, then the mushroom creature likely would have been a series staple since Melee or Brawl considering how iconic it is among Mario fans and Nintendo gamers in general.

Want: 50%

If we were rating Toad from the American Super Mario Bros. 2, then my rating would have been 100%. I never cared for Captain Toad in the slightest, but I do recognize that he does have his dedicated fans.

Abstaining from Krystal prediction.

Nomination: Snake x5

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Chance: 40%
Want: 70%

Krystal
Chances: 9% Want: 5%

Nominations:
9-Volt x2
Leon Powalski x1
Young Cricket x1
Bubsy x1 (what could possibly go wrong :awesome:... I apologize)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Captain Toad
welp, now for another controversial topic methinks....

Chance-20%
I rated him somewhat low because let's think of it this way. Why is Toad not already a playable character? Peach uses him as a weapon sure, but I feel like if Sakurai wanted Toad in Smash he would've already been added a long time ago, since Toad is almost as iconic as the big four of Mario...y'know 'The Princess is in another Castle' and all that...I feel like even Captain Toad with his own game and title (by title I mean 'Captain') his chances are slim. However given the fact that he does indeed have his own game and the surge of popularity he has received definitely bolsters his chances by a fair amount.
Then there's representation! Here's the real kicker....Mario does have quite a bit of characters in the game (even more if you count Yoshi, Wario, and DK) however I don't know if Captain Toad can hold a torch to the other characters, given that apparently Toad on his own cannot, even though he was around long before Rosalina and Bowser Jr. who made it in. If by Smash 5 we get another Captain Toad game (which actually seems pretty likely because 'Nintendo!')...then maybe...

Want-10%
Well, let's put it this way...if...and I strongly emphasize IF we are to get another Mario representative in the future (and I mean in the next game as well not just dlc for this game) I would rather have Waluigi...and I'll be damned if I ever see Daisy become playable (I mean she kinda already is)...but as stated before I feel like Toad should've been in the game already as more than just Princess fodder...having Captain Toad would indeed give us Toad in some form or another, but if that happens I'll be a little uncomfortable at the fact that the Mario franchise (including Yoshi, DK, Wario since they are directly associated) will need more than two hands to count the representative characters...

Prediction:
Krystal-50% (I feel like it's been this way since Brawl and each time she loses the coin toss)

Nominations:
Impa x4
Concept: Converting Assist Trophies or Poke Balls to Playable Characters x1 (thought I'd bring it up at least)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Captain Toad: 20%

Not exactly a good sign when the most iconic form of Toad is deemed unworthy of a playable spot by being made Peach's Neutral B three times. This alone puts Captain Toad at a disadvantage as I find myself hard press to believe Sakurai would include the much less known form of Toad into the game. The only way I can see him being made playable is if Sakurai has changed his mind on Toad ever since mid-2012 (He also ruled out a fighting character in Smash around the same time frame yet we're almost certainly getting Ryu as DLC). Which isn't impossible given that Captain Toad isn't a NPC, but I feel as if any form of Toad was going to be playable while Sakurai is still the director, it would have happened by now.

Want: 0%

No thanks. Captain Toad to me is the embodiment of the one thing I hated about the roster the most; the emphasis on recency. I don't see what exactly Captain Toad has done that makes him a better choice than the Toad that has been within the series all the way since 1985; it's not like the Toad people have come to know is incapable of doing anything Captain Toad can. Plus I have heard that he can't even jump in the game. If so, then what exactly is the point of adding him in; make a gimmick out of not jumping? Just give me the original iconic character instead; at least he actually deserves a playable appearance and it wouldn't appear Sakurai changed his mind just because "OMG new game, we need more Mario characters, let's make Captain Toad DLC!".

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Captain Toad Chance: 58%

He's in an almost identical situation to Bandanna Dee. Toad's are a huge part of the Mario series, putting :rosalina: and :4bowserjr: to shame in terms of importance to their franchise, but they haven't really done anything to make them really stand out. Then one steps up, puts on a headlamp and backpack, and BAM! New, important character to the Mario franchise! So far he's been in 4 games, one of which he was the protagonist. Combined with the fact that he's, well, a Toad, and I'd say his chances are pretty decent. Captain Toad's got a fanbase, he's got importance to his series, he's got relevance, he's got his own GAME, (Something that Rosalina and Jr. never got) and most importantly, he's a Mario character.

People try to claim that Mario is "overrepresented". Mario is the biggest gaming series on the planet, it has sold more then twice as much as most of the other represented series in Smash COMBINED. People recognize characters from the Mario series, those characters are some of the most famous in existence, it makes sense to add one as DLC. And out of the possible candidates, Captain Toad easily makes the most sense.

Even though I see him in a similar situation as Bandanna Dee, he's a bit lower because I don't think he'll be nearly as requested as Bandanna Dee on the Smash poll. For all I know that could be completely false, but based on what I've seen, the demand isn't as strong for Captain Toad as it is for Bandanna Dee.

Want: 90%

Again, for pretty much the same reason I want Bandana Dee, I want Captain Toad. He's got potential to be fun, I love the character, and Captain Toad is absolutely adorable.

Krystal Prediction: 18%
She won't get in before :wolf:

Noms: x5 Rayman

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

@YoshiandToad, please don't miss this game. :p

Chance: 30%
I consider him to be the most likely newcomer outside of King K. Rool because of the above image. It's from an official Nintendo JP event recap, and reads:

I wish I could Join the Battle!! someday...
*Disclaimer, this is just the Captain's dream.

It just seems a little fishy to me that they'd mention him as a potential candidate if they're not actually considering him for DLC.

Even disregarding the above image, he's a strong candidate. He's a distinct member of an iconic species from the Mario series which have been around since Super Mario Bros. and are highly recognized. He has tons of potential, and his only real issue is that he doesn't canonically jump, which isn't really too much of an issue when Smash Bros. breaks canon when it needs/wants to (see: Bowser and Olimar's sizes, Mewtwo's specials, Rosalina using Lumas as weapons, etc.).

Want: 100%
Captain Toad is my #1 most wanted DLC character. I was a major proponent of Toad in general being added to Smash before SSB4 came out, and Captain Toad has only managed to win my heart over more than Toad had before. He's equally as cute and has just as much potential, but has also become even quirkier, is more distinct, and is more in the public eye than before.

Krystal Prediction: 17.75%

Nominations:
Ms. Pac-Man Alternate Costume x5

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'm new to this, but it looks interesting enough, so I'll give it a shot..
-
Captain Toad:
Chance - 30% (Because it's Toad, and his chances are more now than ever)
Want - 0% (Because we don't need more Mario reps)

Prediction:
Krystal: 55%

Nomination(s):
Krystal x2
Wolf x3

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Captain Toad
Chance - 15% (Toad doesn't seem to be requested all that much in Japan, or so I've heard. Not to mention this guy has only had one game....which definitely doesn't mean he can't make it in but I think it at least means the character has to be unique or notable enough to make it in.)

Want - 0% (I've yet to find out anything about him that seems remotely interesting. I find it difficult to figure out what Captain Toad would be able to do. Pretty much all that I've gotten of note from the Captain Toad support is that he can't jump....and that's a negative. :p Also he might be able to throw stuff out of his bag)

Noms:

Inkling x2
Bayonetta x2
Chibi Robo x1

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Captain Toad

Chance: Depending on whether they'll be releasing more games for him. If so, 60%, eventually he'll get there. If not, 15%. I'll leave it at 25% currently.

Want: 75%, dude's adorable, with so much potential to be a cute but deadly force. Then again, overwhelming Mario presence, but then again for every Mario character we can hope for more characters for other series too!

Krystal prediction: 40%, although I personally just don't see it.

4 votes for *Concept: Advance Wars character
1 vote for *Concept: NPCs become playable

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Shame we couldn't rate Roy tomorrow. I completely understand the community's still in confusion and uncertainty, not to mention that these two have caused quite a bit of controversy amongst the fans.

For today: Captain Toad... I'm on the neutral playing field for Captain Toad, not much of a supporter, but I love his game; so I'll just cast my nominations instead - Rayman X5.

[EDIT] I predict Krystal will get around 48%

Last edited:
Top Bottom