• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Direct reaction
Well, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.
I already wasn't too hot on a Xenoblade 2 rep, and then they left out the only redeeming mechanic from the concept, the Driver/Blade stuff.
Pyra is a mess in terms of visual design, but at least there's Mythra, who's just okay I guess.
I can only hope they're fun to play, or this will be a complete dud for me.

As for the rest of the Direct, I'm underwhelmed, considering it's the first Direct in 1½ years. There were a couple games that looked somewhat interesting, but nothing that really gripped me.
Skyward Sword would have been interesting.....if it wasn't 60$. I can only hope it has significant improvements, because I'm not paying 40 dollars more(Wii U is 20$) for HD textures.
Mario Golf was a bummer, as it doesn't spell good for the rumors of a Golden Sun remake/sequel.
I hope Samurai Warriors 5 is good at least, but I have to say I'm iffy on the redesigns.

Last edited:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Direct Reactions:

Pyra/Mythra:

Good lord, the hype. Pyra and Mythra are easily my favorite newcomer reveal in Ultimate thus far. As I'm sure you all know, I'm a diehard Xeno/Monolithsoft fan, so seeing any new character from their games was my biggest wish for Ultimate. After Rex missed the boat and got a Mii costume, I assumed that XC2 simply wasn't going to be getting a fighter. Between Rex and Nia's costumes, the existing XC2 songs, and the XC2 spirits already in Ultimate, I figured we wouldn't be getting anything else. I've never been happier to be wrong. So, funny story, I rushed home after work to try and watch the direct, and as soon as I ran to my laptop and loaded the stream, it immediately opened on "Mythra Awakens!" I screamed in pure joy, and I honestly haven't been this excited for a newcomer since Shulk back in the Smash 4 days. Can't believe that was almost seven years ago... Anyway, personal attachment aside, Pyra and Mythra's moveset looks sick. Like Melee and Brawl-era Zelda and Sheik done right. I've been theorizing that, since we've seen so many specials from them, maybe landing normal attacks power up their specials akin to how blades work in XC2? The sky is the limit with them, and trying to dismiss them as another "anime sword user" is just laughable. Now, some are saying that they feel incomplete without Rex being directly playable, and I agree to an extent. However, the pair perfectly represent the core (crystal) elements of XC2 on their own, and I'm sure perfectly recreating the driver mechanic would have been a pain for Sakurai's team to implement into Smash, especially working remotely. Pyra and Mythra are far more marketable than Rex anyway, and you don't even need a driver to represent switching blades if you think about it. His absence is definitely a concession, though a super minor one IMO. I'm just happy they're here. Oh, and the Alrest stage looks nuts. And just think of the music. Counterattack will be in Smash. My life is complete. Jokes aside, here's hoping we get some songs from Xenoblade X, and if were lucky, maaaybe an option for the remastered XC1 tracks from Definitive Edition? I honestly feel guilty asking Sakurai for anything else, because he's already given me what I want. Seriously, Ultimate feels complete to me now. I got my two most wanted modern characters (a Persona rep and a new Xenoblade rep) and two retro picks that kid me never would have dreamed could make it in (Banjo and Sephiroth). There are others I'd like to see (KOS-MOS is bae but she's a longshot), but as far as I'm concerned, whoever Sakurai picks is just icing on the cake. I really can't overstate how happy the start of this direct made me. I'm still feeling it.

... Oh, and I guess some other stuff happened too.

Fall Guys:
Lmao this game is so dead. It didn't have anywhere near the staying power of something like Among Us. Still, I may check it out, play it on and off for a month or so, and then never touch it again. I think this is what happened to a lot of people.

Mario Golf Super/Sugar/Speed Rush:
Wow, I wasn't expecting a new entry in this series! I haven't played one since Toadstool Tour back on the GCN, but that game was my jam. The dashing mechanic looks fun, and if the story mode is meaty enough, I may give it a shot. I just hope there's a solid selection of courses, with a healthy mix of realistic and crazy Mario-inspired ones.

Project Triangle Strategy:
So Octopath Traveler was probably my GOTY for 2018. Aside from Smash Ultimate (which came out in December) and XC2: Torna (which is an expansion), Octopath captivated me like nothing else that year. The HD 2D artstyle is so gorgeous, and while I'm still waiting for Square to remake FF I-VI, Chrono Trigger, and Xenogears with that engine, I'm intrigued by Project Triangle. The only problem? I'm not the biggest tactical RPG guy. I've played a few Fire Emblem titles, but I just don't have the patience for the genre, I think. Meh. I'm glad this beautiful engine is seeing more use, I just hope this is more of a side project, and isn't the prequel or sequel for Octopath that we're supposed to be getting at some point. Still, I'm curious to see if this does indeed connect to the Octopath universe, and I just downloaded the demo so maybe I'll get more excited for it after I try it out.

No More Heroes 3:
Dang, this game looks gorgeous. I've never played the series, but I've always loved Travis Touchdown as a character. He's absolutely gaming's equivalent of Deadpool, and I still want to see him in Smash someday. Now that the entire trilogy is on Switch, it may be time to add them to my backlog and get to them... Eventually.

Ninja Gaiden Master Collection:
I haven't played a Ninja Gaiden game since the NES original (which really hooked me as a kid), but I'm glad to see this collection finally come to Switch. Maybe I'll check it out if it's on sale someday. And more importantly, this brings Ryu Hayabusa some relevance in terms of Smash speculation. As far as I'm concerned, he's the only remaining NES-era icon left to join, so I'd be pretty hyped to see him get revealed.

Skyward Sword HD:
I have a weirdly nonexistent history with this game. It's the only Zelda game I've never played. There's a lot of reasons for that which I won't get into, but if it's on Switch, maybe it's finally time to take the plunge? I just wished the visuals were touched up a bit more. It doesn't feel nearly as impressive as The WInd Waker's or Twilight Princess' remasters did, and those were on less powerful hardware. Those games have to be coming to Switch soon, right? I'm not usually a graphics snob, but I guess I was just expecting more of an overhaul, especially since Skyward Sword has such a timeless artstyle. It is pretty impressive that they got the motion controls working, though. Like the Link's Awakening remake, I'll probably eventually check this out, but not for full price. Oh, and I'm not at all surprised that we got nothing on BOTW2. That was always going to be an E3 reveal.

Splatoon 3:
If you would have told me 48 hours ago that we'd be seriously discussing this, I would have called you a liar. But again, I'm so glad to have been proven wrong. I really thought Splatoon was a once-per-console series, yet here we are. What a time to be a Nintendo fan. As much as I adored Splatoon 2, it definitely felt a bit too much like Splatoon 1.5 with not quite enough advancements to warrant calling it a true sequel. The story mode was okay, and while I enjoyed Salmon Run as a co-op online romp, it wasn't until the release of Octo Expansion that I really felt like the Splatoon formula was evolving. I was Team Chaos in the final Splatfest, so exploring a post-post apocalyptic Inkling/Octoling world sounds incredible. The Mad Max aesthetic weirdly fits Splatoon like a glove and I'm loving it! The multiplayer mode looks to have some much-needed changes, and my mind is racing with ideas for how both it and the story will be this time around. I could go into speculation, but I think I've rambled long enough in this post. Despite coming out in 2022, Nintendo is giving this title a weird amount of attention, so my hopes are pretty high.

Overall, it was a very solid direct for me. There were quite a few games revealed that don't do much for me, but this one had it where it counted. A dream-come-true Smash reveal and a Splatoon sequel that I was convinced wasn't happening until the next Nintendo console. Despite all the gushing, if I had to grade it, I'd give the direct a solid B+. The opening and closing reveals were straight up God tier, but everything in between wasn't quite enough to lift it to A-level status for me. But when it was good, man it was good. I'm so glad proper directs seems to be making a comeback. Really excited what else 2021 has in store for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Direct Reaction -
Came in with low expectations, but was somehow still disappointed. I'm fine with Pyra's inclusion, but at the same time the character doesn't excite me either. Only games that interest me out of the whole lot are Monster Hunter (which we knew was coming out anyway) and Mario Golf. The Danganropa-esque game looked kinda cute too I guess. Skyward Sword being priced at $60 is a joke. I've never played Splatoon, but I will admit Splatoon 3 looks nice and I like the post apocalyptic tone the trailer had.

Overall 3/10

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Direct thoughts?

...eh, it's pretty neat. But compared to 2020 which had a lot of awesome releases even if not Nintendo, nothing really caught my eye that much. After three days I still couldn't find anything to say about most of the titles. Some look neat, not so much others. Saving my money for other ventures.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Abstaining as well since I know basically nothing about this.

Neku chance prediction: 9.74%

Nominations:
Curly as Quote's alt/echo x5

Pillow

Smash Lord
Marina
Chance - 0%
Want - 0%
Talk about an obscure character lol. I actually had her game on the N64 when I was a kid, but I remember **** all about it, so my scores are indicative of that. I hope this day is short.

noms
x5 FromSoft

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Marina Liteyears

Chance 0 - Yeah I really don't think this will happen. I remember seeing some discussion on if she was owned by Nintendo or Square in the discord. No clue how that turned out. If she's owned by Square then she's straight up done. Her game appears to have been a one off in the late 90s. Square usually seems to only want to push or promote charcters in Smash that they're actually using. If owned by Treasure it still feels extremely unlikely because we haven't gotten anything from them since 2014. Safe to say Nintendo will not be contacting them. Just can't see a path for this to happen at all.

Want 0 - Nope, easy pass here. We could very well be down to 2 more characters left for the entirety of Ultimate. I'd rather not steer towards characters who aren't very well known from one off games right now.

Predictions:
Neku 8.42

Noms:
John Marston x10

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah sorry guys I have literally nothing on this one, abstaining entirely

Looks like there’s a first for everything

Nominations:
Kaede Akamatsu x5

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I usually don't post in here, but I'll post my thoughts:

Marine Liteyears

Chances 1%: I almost agree with everyone in here that her chances are close to zero thanks to her being owned by both Treasure and Square-Enix I believe? If fan demand for a lesser known or important Square-Enix character like Geno couldn't get him in, than I don't think Square-Enix would even think of Marina as a thought. Though I have 1% because nothing is impossible.

Want 100%: I would love Marina in Smash as I love Mischief Makers. Should would be a blast to play with her grab game possibly being one of the best in the game.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Abstaining. I feel lazy to do enough research on her.

Nom: 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x 5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
You are still light-years away from facing Brock Marina.

Chance: 0%

So there is some debate on whether Mischief Makers is owned by Square Enix or Treasure. But either way I don't think this is happening. Basically, it's an obscure one-off N64 game. It certainly has its fans and it got some praise on release but other than that it is mostly a forgotten game that hasn't been rereleased or even referenced in any modern game. There is no noticeable fan demand, it's not relevant, nor is it being pushed by Nintendo. Overall, I don't see how this would be Smash material. These days I am hesitant to give any character a zero, but at this point in the DLC cycle I can't see something like this being considered.

Want: Abstain

With 2 slots left, it is tempting to give this a zero and call it a day. But I should stick to my guns and so I will abstain because who knows, if I somehow got the opportunity to play this game, Marina might become one of my pipe dreams. Can't knock till' you try.

Prediction: Sorry Neku but it looks like you missed out on this train - 6%

Noms: Excitebiker x10

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't feeling much in the mood to post recently, but now I wanted to chime in here since I like this character.

Shake Shake
Chance: 0.5%
Mischief Makers is a relatively small game for the N64 developed by Treasure and published by Enix, who then went to merge with Square to become Square Enix, so I assume the rights of the game are under that as of now. It has gotten its small audience, especially compared to many other games on the N64, it helps that it's a 2D game in a console mainly populated by 3D ones. That said... when I mean small audience, it really is small, quite niche at that. I think you would be hard pressed to even see Marina get some sort of recognition in the game, since her ownership makes it even harder for her to show up. Sorry Marina. That being said, since it's a somewhat well-remembered game within its small niche, I'll say there's a SMALL possibility. Helps it was one of the unique third party N64 games too.

Want: 90%
Marina's a robot girl who's main attack is grabbing and throwing enemies, not before she shakes them doing her usual "shake shake" to get items off of them. This grab or grapple can even go beyond, being able to tank and counter attacks by holding them and throwing them backwards to the enemy. Would she be fun in a game like Smash? Well of course. While I could see her being mainly focused on grabbing and throwing, she has some dashes and dodges in the game that'd help her to get some mobility. That said, my want goes beyond just the playstyle, even if I think it'd be fun, this is just one of these games I have fond memories with, so seeing anything new of it, especially something like Smash, would be just great. I suppose she's what one would call a "pipe dream". She isn't huge or the like, or a glaring omission, but I'd love to see her.

Noms: All going to Worms. x10 if I'm not mistaken.

Neku prediction: 3%. I can imagine SE in general is seen as unlikely after Sephiroth.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
MARINA LITEYEARS

CHANCE - 1%
You could probably write an essay about all of the things preventing Marina from showing up in Smash Bros.

Her rights linger somewhere between Treasure and Enix, the original game being a collaboration between the two. As of now Treasure hasn't made a game in years, so even if Marina was the clear cut choice for a Treasure character, and belonged to the company entirely, it's extremely unlikely that they'd be under serious consideration in the first place. Not to mention Mischief Makers is a nearly 25 year old game and Marina / her game seems to lack the proper widespread fan support to lead a proper revival, Smash or otherwise. This is one of those characters who needs Banjo levels of support to even be on the radar.

I'll shed a little bit of a positive light on her though, Marina is generally pretty well received and has taken on a life of her own as a well-loved character and common subject of fanart beyond the game she originated from. She also had a few sporadic requests as far back as Brawl, and Nintendo themselves are responsible for publishing Mischief Makers here in the west. And I dunno, maybe a bit of a conspiracy on my end, but I have a hunch that Mischief Makers played a role in inspiring Nintendo's own Wario Land: Shake It just a little bit.

Fun fact, Marina has actually appeared as a guest in a fighting game before - Treasure's own Rakugaki Showtime! Since it's a game that revolves around grabbing and throwing, it's pretty much perfect for her. It's got a really cool sketchy sort of style to it.

Despite being a massive pipe dream of a character, I didn't want today to be all doom and gloom for Marina today. She's at least a character who a relatively small but dedicated group of people love a lot. Here's hoping she'll have a real shot some day.

WANT - 100%
I love Marina man, she's one of my favorite character designs ever and her abilities just lend themselves perfectly to being a fresh fun character - a jet-propelled robot maid grappler. She fits Smash like a glove, if only there was more of a push for Mischief Makers in general these days. It's a very charming game that I think has a lot to offer in the realm of both Smash and maybe a full on revival someday. I recommend giving it a shot if you get the chance sometime... although I had to drop it for a while after a frustrating experience with one of the bosses, but the game is still very fun! I still have to complete it once my classes have wrapped up.

But yeah, Marina is insanely cute, her game is very fun and creative and I would give a whole lot to hear that "shake shake" voice line in Smash.

NOMINATIONS: Billy & Jimmy x20
NEKU PREDICTION: 5.75%

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Marina

Chance: 0 to 1%. The odds are definitely against her, due to being a very obscure character and being owned by Square Enix. With that said, the 1% is because we have been surprised before, given the fighter’s that joined Ultimate.

Want: 50%. She would be a fun character to play as, and it would be interesting for her to encounter Banjo and Kazooie and Young Link (being the fellow Nintendo 64 reps). Overall, she would make a decent fighter and remember, there is always a chance a character that can be easily dismissed, could make it on the playable scene.

Prediction: Neku (5%)

Noms: 5 for Stage: Bowser’s Castle

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i actually google what mischief makers was for todays rating. abstain i did not understand what i was reading and cant give them a fair rating. nom grunty x5

neku is going to be an interesting one tomorrow cause i imagine therell be a lot of the new game boosts his chances and spehiroth killed his chances so itll be curious to see what everyone thinks now

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Marina Liteyears
She's the protagonist from a obscure N64 game that has not seen a rerelease since. Her parent companies do not seem to be in the running for new characters either. Square Enix seems to be settled for the rest of the DLC and Treasure has become a forgotten developer that hasn't really done anything in years. She's just one of those characters who's not on Nintendo's radar at all. With only two characters left for what we know, you can't really make the case for Marina.

Want: 1%
I remember watching a Vinesauce Joel playthrough of the game, that's all the experience I have with it. Game looks fine, I guess? Nothing that screams worthy of Smash to me tho. I like my third-party characters to not be hugely obscure generally, unless I like them personally. I'll give her a pitty percentage since I don't dislike her design and I would be pretty interested in seeing Joel's reaction. Few characters are left tho, so I simply prefer others.

Neku: 4.10%
Skullgirls rep x10

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Marina

0.1% Chance

Part of the biggest challenge to researching Marina was finding out who owned her. Her chances are a little different depending on who owns her between Treasure or Enix. Enix owning her would basically doom her. There is some evidence that Marina could be owned by Enix. Treasure does not own the rights to Guardian Heroes, the game they made right before Mischief Makers. That being said, when I looked at the instruction booklet online, there was no mention of Treasure holding the copyright. I talked about this with a few people beforehand and asked if they could find any solid evidence one way or the other. The fact that the rights are a bit of a mess makes sense when you look at how Treasure worked back in the 90s. Given the Guardian Heroes example, it makes sense for Treasure to not own her rights.

Even if Treasure owns her, she is not likely. First off, Treasure has noticeable competition inside in the form of Saki Amiaya. Yes, Treasure made Saki and due to his unique situation might be chosen instead of Marina. Even then, Treasure right now is a tiny company. They have 14 employees and have scaled back greatly. I guess it is still feasibly possible, but I am skeptical that Treasure would be looked at for a rep.

100% Want

…which is a shame because I love Treasure and their games. Gunstar Heroes is one of the best Genesis games. Guardian Heroes is one of the best Saturn Games, as is Radiant Silvergun. Sin and Punishment and Mischief Makers are some of the biggest hidden gems on the N64. I would love to see Marina in Smash as a result. She would help give some love to one of my favorite developers of all time. Also this would give us the slim chance of Ikaruga music in Smash. That would be sick. Also, imagining Marina saying “Shake Shake!” in a taunt would be perfect. Just something I would love to see.

TF2 Rep x Maximum, Haggar seems safe for now.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Double abstain, I don't have the will to write the same thing that everyone else already wrote for her chances.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Shake, shake, shake, señora!

Chance: 1%
Marina is the star of Mischief Makers, a sidescroller on the N64. She's a robot maid who is tasked with rescuing her creator and saving the planet through the power of shaking the **** out of everything she finds. While it was reviewed averagely, and there are no records of its sales, it was eventually reappraised and became a cult classic. There's even a small support base for Smash! However...

It has been brought to my attention that Marina is partly owned by Enix (now Square Enix) and partly by Treasure. Somehow I spent an entire fixed schedule nominating her without making the connection. Darn. So, yeah, if she were owned solely by Treasure, I'd have called her something of an underdog. But if it requires licensing by Square, then, uh, they already got a character dog. So I doubt they'd get another character, and even then her competition is now a lot harder to beat. Shame.

Want: 100%
Normally I'd give a character like Marina a lower score because I can't exactly say she deserves it over so many other characters. But it's clear that Pass 2 has no order of priorities, so why should I? If they're going to add random characters they might as well add some that appeal to me. Mischief Makers is awesome. Everyone should play it. And Marina would be great in Smash. We don't have a character that relies on command grabs to the degree that Marina would. And Mischief Makers has great music. Plus she'd be a Treasure rep, and with Treasure's amazing output I think they warrant a rep at some point.

Noms: Agent 47 x10
Neku prediction: 8.74% He'll be propped up by people who think FP3 will happen.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Marina Liteyears

Chance: 0.2% -
I can't say I have any confidence in her. Her ownership is complicated between Treasure and Square Enix, and thus she'd be extremely difficult to license. Combined with that, a double whammy, with one of said owners being Square Enix, who just got a character in this pass. While she does have a small cult following due to her game's quality, it doesn't have noticeable Smash fan demand. This is because of the game's obscurity, having never been rereleased after its' original appearance on the N64, and has never been pushed by Nintendo either. There's really just too much standing in her way.

Want: 40% - Neutral on her really! Her design is very cute and she does seem like a fun choice gameplay-wise! A grapple-based character with complex throws does sound very unique. The Nintendo representation also helps! Though I've never played her game, so I haven't had the chance to form any kind of attachment to her. Alongside that, there's only two slots left. While I wouldn't have any issues with her if she got in, there are lots of characters I'd definitely like to see more.

Nominations:
4x Strategy rep x10

Predictions:
Neku - 2.94% - Sephiroth happened, that's gonna be a big sting. Still, I see a lot of his higher scores banking on the possibility of a third pass.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Marina Liteyears
First things first, I'm genuinely shocked that someone nominated this character that wasn't me and that she made it this far.

Second thing, check out this awesome fan-render that EdwardSponge EdwardSponge made for her! The first time I saw it I teared up - I couldn't believe anyone even cared enough to make it!

Look, let's get this out of the way - I know she has no shot. She's owned by Enix & Treasure, which is a company that has been absorbed into Square and a company that hasn't made a game in years despite technically still being alive. Even if they were to go to Treasure for a character, I feel like they'd want to go with something like the Gunstar Heroes. I don't see her happening. I have never seen her happening. Even in my Smash 64 days she was a pipe dream. She's an obscure character from one game on the N64. ...But...

Want: 100%
Marina Liteyears has been since 1999 my most-wanted character. I would go on forums before we even knew what Melee was going to be called to try and hype her up. The thing is, Mischief Makers is a fantastic game. It has gorgeous, banging music, a crazy classic anime style, some killer boss fights and levels, and Marina herself is both super cute and super funny. She's a robot maid whose professor gets kidnapped by an evil empire lead by his villainous brother so she makes it her mission to shake everyone and anyone down.

That's the thing, her primary form of attack is grabbing! She can grab, toss, juggle, and shake enemies down for treasure. She also has a bunch of other cool moves, such as items that she can use in her games, or a Clanpot that can be used to catch projectiles and combine items.

I hesitate ever calling her my most-wanted because I know she's the biggest pipe dream of all pipe dreams...but she has always been in my childhood a game that made the N64 so special. I can play Mischief Makers over and over again - whenever I test an N64 emulator, it's always one of my first tests because I love the game that much.

I even voted for her in the Smash 4 ballot! As my only ballot submission!

marinavote.PNG

One of the first posts I made on this website after coming back after the Brawl days was posting in her support thread with some move ideas!

Marina is my dream "never-will". She is my number one most-wanted but I never talk about her because I know she will never happen. Any kind of Mischief Makers acknowledgement would be enough for me, but I've wanted Marina since shortly after Smash 64 came out. I used to dream about learning to mod Melee just to put her in somehow. She was the first Mii Fighter I tried to make. She was even the character I voted for in the Smash ballot, despite knowing she had a ghost of a chance. I just knew I couldn't let my voice go unheard.

She would be a grappling-based character no question, with a few other specials being based on the weapons you can get in the game like the missile launcher. However, I think down+B could be the Clanpot, which would work similarly to Villager's pocket or Oil Panic. Collect projectiles and items, and when there are three you mash down+b to fuse them into a much larger projectile or maybe even a useful item.

Up+B would be a variation on her boosters, but I actually see her jump working like Kirby's in that she gets a few using her boosters. Really, she would just utilize a lot of grabbing, throwing, and shaking.

I have three Final Smash ideas.

Idea 1: Galaxy Throw
Just like for Professor Theo when you defeat a boss, Marina grabs the enemy or enemies and tosses them so hard they leave orbit. Cut to them being commits up in space, and then after a moment they come crashing back down to the stage and go flying into the blast zones.

Idea 2: Blockman Rises
Marina grabs Teran who transforms into Blockman and makes his way across the stage, bringing destruction in his wake! This one is the most likely, but my personal choice would be...

Idea 3: The Beastector
"Through fire, justice is served!"
"A hero in shining armor is called."
"To punish evil forces, I have been charged!"

Lunar, Taurus, and Merco arrive to fuse their Mecha and form the mighty Beastector you face in the final battle and they bombard the stage with missiles, lasers, and mighty kicks! Or maybe they could fire off their arm missile, Marina catches it, heads to the foreground, and we have a reticle Final Smash like Bowser's new one. Either-or!

As for her stage, I've thought long and hard and I think it should be Clanball Land but it turns into Spike Land. It's a fun, idyllic representation of Planet Clancer with plenty of Clanballs to grab onto and cameos from Calina, Geold, Ondine, etc. I don't think it's a traveling stage, but the positions of the Clanballs and types of them could shift. Then, after a set amount of time it transitions into the much more dangerous Spike Land, full of spike ropes and hazards to avoid.

...Yeah, I've kind of put some thought into it. I don't just support her because she's "quirky" or "obscure", I support Marina because I always have and I always will. Even if I know in my heart of hearts it'll never happen, Mischief Makers is one of my favorite N64 games and Marina herself shaped my love of robots and is one of the most fun and memorable protagonists in one of the most fun and memorable games I've ever played. I'm in it for the long haul and you better believe I'll be waving her banner high every single chance I get.
I just want to see Marina in Smash in some way! Again, I know she'll never make it, but if I got a Spirit or (impossibly) a Mii Costume, I would be happy enough to cry.

On that note, I'll leave you off with a banger of a final boss theme. Jam to it, and if you get the chance, play Mischief Makers! It's a charming, funny, cool-as-hell side-scrolling platformer with an awesome grappling mechanic and a killer style. Treasure has made some great games, and in my book it's one of the best.

Nominations: Beatrice (Umineko) x10

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Henry Stickmin x370
Mii Costume: Madeline x350
Concept: Team Fortress 2 rep x320
Concept: A 4X strategy rep x310
John Marston x305
[Rerate] Velvet Crowe x295
Crazy Dave x285

300 - 251

Worms x275
Excitebiker x275
Mike Haggar x255

250 - 201

Agent 47 x245
Concept: A 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x235
[Rerate] Concept: League of Legends rep x232
Concept: Far Cry rep x214
Concept: Curly as Quote's alt/Echo x210
Zagreus x210
Tetra x205

200 - 151

Peppino (Pizza Tower) x197
Billy & Jimmy Lee x190
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's Alt/Echo x185
[Rerate] Carmen Sandiego x155

150 - 101

Kaede Akamatsu x145
Rallen (Spectrobes) x145
Riptor x140
Mii Costume: Monika x135
Trevor Philips x135
Boss: Rayquaza x135
Stage: Bowser's Castle x132
Estelle Bright x130
Senator Armstrong x120
Boss: Ender Dragon x118
D.Va x115
Concept: A BioShock protagonist x111
Mii Costume: 2B x110
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x108
Fulgore x104

100 - 51

Stage: Tetris x100
Concept: Skullgirls rep x99
Concept: Disgaea rep x95
Giygas x90
Echo (Bowser) x90
Concept: From Software rep x90
Junpei (Zero Escape) x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Ryza (Atelier) x75
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x70
Echo (Olimar) x66
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x65
Grunty (Banjo-Kazooie) x65
Ghirahim x60
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Magolor x55
Jin Sakai x55

50 - 25

[Rerate] Agumon x40
Mii Costume: Zagreus x40
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25
[Rerate] Louie x25
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20
Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x20
Demi-Fiend x20
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
[Rerate] Yuri Lowell x10
Jesse (Control) x10
Infernape x10
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Soma Cruz x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
[Rerate] Arthur x5
Pyramid Head x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
[Rerate] Brian x5
Firebrand x1

Team Fortress 2 rep passed Velvet Crowe, A 4X strategy rep and John Marston to become third on the noms list. 4X strat rep also conquered fourth place from Marston's hold.

Far Cry rep, Curly as Quote's alt/Echo, and Zagreus all shoot past 200 noms.

Carmen Sandiego stole more than 150 noms.

Grunty conjures over 50 noms.

Zhao Yun reaches 25 noms.

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Shake, Shake!

Chance: 0.3%

She's unfortunately got one game on the N64 and it's kinda obscure. Most people who play Mischief Makers come away saying its a great game making it a cult classic. From what I understand, her ownership is a split ownership and that unfortunately doesn't give her much of a chance. However, she still is Nintendo exclusive what ever that's worth in her situation. I believe she needs a new game before I could giver her a higher score.

Want: 90%
From what I remember she would be a blast to play. Marina's got quick movements with great control and a full grappler playstyle. I would imagine if she was able to do what she could do in her game she would pretty much be a hard counter to Min Min by catching her arms and throwing it back at her. That being said she probably would be able to catch most projectiles, shake them to make it bigger and be able to throw it back. Her all-direction boosters gives her quick movement speed on both ground and in air giving her the ability to close gaps fast. Marina has a cool design and despite the fact that I don't like all the Scream faces on every block, the game has charm.

Noms: Zhao Yun x10
Predict Neku: 6.57%

Last edited:

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Marina Liteyears
Abstain
Don't feel like there's much left to add, and I have no personal connection to the game.

Predictions
Neku: 6.3%

Nominations
Rallen x5

Last edited:
Top Bottom