• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Orb man who goes pew pew

Chance: 0%

You are probably wondering, who the heck is Vectorman and what business does he have being in the prestigious game of Smash? Well let me tell you a story.

It’s the year 2049 where humanity has polluted Earth to the point where they had to colonize other planets to have a clean life. As they leave Earth, they leave behind robots made out of orbs called Orbots who are programmed to clean up the planet in hopes that one day it may be habitable again. Unfortunately, an Orbot named Rastar becomes sentient and attaches itself to a nuke. The Orbot basically becomes Skynet by hacking into the worldwide computer network to take control of all Orbots, corrupting them. Rastar, now called Warhead, becomes a dictator and commands the Orbots to attack any humans who return to the planet and any other sentient beings.

This is where our orb chad comes in. Vectorman was in space throwing garbage into the sun during the corruption. When he comes back to Earth, he discovers what happened and vows to end Warhead’s reign and return peace to the planet.

For his attacks, Vectorman primarily uses his orb gun which shoots orbs that can be upgraded. The upgrades include spread shot, machine gun which increases fire rate, and the bolo gun which makes the firing rate slower, but allows the orbs to pass through multiple opponents. What also makes Vectorman unique and a mighty warrior is his ability to shapeshift. He can turn into a drill, bomb, rhino, and even a god dam tank.

Now onto his merits, Vectorman is a Sega Genesis classic. It’s a side scrolling run and gun game with fast-pace gameplay, smooth controls, and pre-rendered 3D models for the levels and characters. It, alongside its sequel, got favorable reviews and were even chosen as Genesis Game of the Year for their respective years. It’s a classic series that keeps getting included in many of Sega’s retro compilations.

But now, I have to go back to reality and say this ain’t happening. First, the series hasn’t gotten a game since 1996. There was going to be a third game for the Sega Saturn but it was cancelled. Supposedly they tried again with a game for PS2 but it was cancelled too. I’m not sure what happened, but I can say one thing: This series is dead and there are not even rumors of another game coming. When you combine that with competition from other Sega properties, this is basically a no-hoper. Arle Nadja alone is a big obstacle and there are other series from the Genesis era like Streets of Rage that are more popular and relevant. Plus I barely hear anyone talk about this series which is never a good sign.

Want: 75%

If you are into run and gun games, I implore you to try out these games. While they do have their flaws, they are classics in my eyes and for good reasons. The gameplay is satisfying and flashy and the games show off what the Genesis is capable of. Both games are available on the Genesis Classics Collection on Switch as well as various compilations that Sega has released throughout the years. Vectorman 1 and 2 are tied with Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine as my favorite Genesis games. I have a soft spot for the Genesis and it would be nice to have someone else other than just Sonic represent that era of gaming. Vectorman would be such a fun character and the music is very good too. The only reason this score ain’t higher is because many of my other wanted characters have had a bigger impact on gaming so I would prefer if they get in first.

Prediction: CJ - 9%

Noms: Among Us character x10

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Vectorman

Chance: 5%. Chances are if we get another Sega Rep, it would be either a new Sonic Character (while Tails or Eggman are more likely, I would like to see Shadow new Knuckles), Arle or a character that Atlus got involved with. But it would not be impossible, since we have seen characters that are left out of the field get in.

Want: 50%. I don’t know too much about Vectorman, but he would be fun to play as. Overall, he would make a decent Smash Bros rep and that is all I have to say about that.

Prediction: CJ (5%)

Noms: 5 for Boss: Ender Dragon

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Find-- no wait, different green Vector.

Chance: 0%. Easiest 0% I have ever given. This series is beyond dead, and it will most likely never return. It's a franchise that joins other SEGA properties in being getting abandoned with no new content in not one, but two decades. The fan demand for this character borders on nonexistent, being a tiny blip compared to even characters like Billy Hatcher, much less the big four and Sonic reps. The most notable thing about Vectorman is that both games are on a bunch of collections, and that's really it. That's not even something Vectorman has to itself; Shining Force has that. Phantasy Star has that. Streets of Rage has that. Vectorman couldn't even make it into the SEGA crossover games as a cameo, even PUYO had presence there! There is no reason for Sakurai, SEGA or Nintendo to want this character in at all. Even if this was base game I'd still be giving him a 0%, but when you have to pay for this character in particular? Get outta here. It would take a hundred miracles for this guy to get a MII COSTUME, let alone the coveted Fighter Position.

Want: 0%. Easier 0% than the easiest. Vectorman is getting double zeroes, and it mostly relates to the obvious reason. But in general, this is what I would define as a bottom-of-the-barrel choice when it comes to third parties, from a "how impactful would this character be" point of view. Vectorman has made no lasting impact, good or bad, and has been totally forgotten in the greater public eye. I won't say it's because his games suck, but it's because of the market already being on the move to 3D by the time of the character's titles. I don't see a reason WHY Vectorman should be considered now, next game, or the game after that, or the game after that. Nothing against the character on a personal level, I don't think Vectorman is trash and I'd play as him in a mod or something, but right now? I'd rather not. Though his games are fun, and at the end of the day, fun is what it's all about.

Arle x 10. CJ I nommed mostly for shiggles but the more I think about it the more he in particular makes sense. Still, we're rating a GTA rep so most people don't think he has a chance. 8.22%.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Vectorman

Chance 0 - I feel comfortable saying this isn't going to happen. Being SEGA owned might be his only advantage here. But even then, there's enough names ahead of him right now to the point where that's even pretty bleak. Nothing new involving Vectorman has happened in a while. It seems like he's not even really making the Sega crossovers anymore, which is a really big killshot when it seems like not even your home company has interest in you. And on top of that with Sonic reps being confirmed fair game again that just drops another what, like 5 names ahead of his? There's just nothing here telling me Sonic, Nintendo, or Smash fans in general want this to happen.

Want 0 - Yeah, there's just so many more names I'd rather get. Since we know beyond a doubt that Sonic reps are fair play again Eggman should get in long before he does, and then there's the likes of Arle and Kiryu and even more names on the Sonic depth chart just to name a few. And since we're not ending Smash Ultimate with like 50 Sega reps I just can't see this being the character they go for.

Predictions:
CJ - 8%

Noms
Far Cry Rep x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
[Rerate] Monokuma x170
[Rerate] Arle Nadja x165
Qbby x155
John Marston x150
Worms x150
Crazy Dave x145
[Rerate] Neku x144

150 - 101

Mii Costume: Monika x135
[Rerate] Concept: League of Legends rep x132
Beat (Jet Set Radio) x120
D.Va x115
Concept: Characters that don't have games on Nintendo platforms x115
Concept: A 4X strategy rep x110
Boss: Ender Dragon x103

100 - 51

Mii Costume: 2B x100
Stage: Bowser's Castle x96
Riptor x95
Zero (Mega Man) x95
[Rerate] Velvet Crowe x95
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x93
Boss: Rayquaza x90
Fulgore x84
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
Giygas x71
Concept: Among Us character x60
Echo (Olimar) x56
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Magolor x55
Jin Sakai x55
Ghirahim x55
Junpei (Zero Escape) x54

50 - 25

Echo (Bowser) x50
Tetra x45
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x40
Concept: A Challenger Pack with 2 Fighters x35
Ryza (Atelier) x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
Marina Liteyears x20
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's Alt/Echo x20
Filia (Skullgirls) x18
Peppino (Pizza Tower) x17
Yarn Yoshi x15
Billy & Jimmy Lee x15
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x15
[Rerate] Master Chief x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
Estelle Bright x10
Mii Costume: Zagreus x10
Mii Costume: Madeline x10
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
Stage: Tetris x5
[Rerate] Agumon x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
[Rerate] Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Firebrand x1

Neku slides past Mii Costume: Monika into seventh place. That's... really, really poor timing.

Concept: A 4X strategy rep conquers over 100 noms.

Concept: Among Us character vents past 50 noms.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Vectorman

Chance: 0%.
Yeah. I don't see it happening. Even within Sega, there are lots of characters to choose from. Sephiroth widened selection, so Eggman is on the table. Add Arle and Kiryu, chane is pretty much zero. This series is far from any enduring legacy franchises that left mark on gaming history. So, there is little to no reason to pick this guy up. At best, spirit event is all this guy will get.

Want: 0%.
Normally, I would abstain, but I decided to skim through to get basic idea about this character. No thanks. He doesn't check any criteria I set up. Legacy, fandemand, moveset etc... Only three slots left. I would pick Eggman, Arle or Kiryu before this character. Even then, there are far more deserving characters out there.

Nom: Characters that don't have their games on Nintendo platform

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Vectorman

Chance: 0.00000000000001%
Honestly Vectorman seems like the kind of character who might not even make it into a Sega-themed mascot fighter. Sega hasn't really done anything with Vectorman in the last 20 years besides as a ROM to throw in their Genesis collections.

Want: 35%
I loved the Vectorman games back in the day, and I was sad that the planned revival on the PS2 never came to fruition. But yeah I like the character, it would be cool to have him back in the limelight (however much he was in it to begin with), and I'm sure he's got enough stuff with transformations and whatnot for an interesting moveset.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Vectorman
Double zeroes
Aside from the occasional rerelease on collections, this guy has been largely forgotten and is pretty obscure nowadays. He has no legacy, relevance or popularity to speak of. SEGA doesn't even put Vectorman as a cameo in their own crossover games so why would Nintendo pick him over almost any other SEGA rep? He isn't getting in over Eggman, Kiryu, Arle or most other third-parties, SEGA or not. And he probably shouldn't be. Despite me not having played his games I'm not abstaining here. Vectorman just sounds like a joke pick. I have nothing against him but he doesn't seem worthy of taking up one of the three remaining spots in the pass.

CJ: 6.38%
Beat x5

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Vectorman

Double abstain. I have no idea how to rate him out of "low chances", and that I'm mos tlikely neutral on him.

Nominations

Lol rep x5

Predictions

CJ: 2.4%

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Vectorman

No new game in nearly 25 years is a major blow right there. Maybe if Vectorman had a lot of requests then the lack of new games issue might not be all that important. However I don't think I've ever seen anyone really ask for this. With lots of other Sega characters like Eggman and Arle existing, its almost impossible to see Vectorman getting in over them. Even some of the lesser talked about picks like Axel Stone and a Golden Axe character would probably have priority.

Want: 0%
I remember playing like 30 seconds of the first game on the Sonic Gems Collection. I'm sure if I played it longer then I could maybe get into it. But the unfortunate truth for now is that I'd want a ton of other Sega characters in Smash over Vectorman. Right now the Sega characters I want most are Axel, Arle, and Eggman in that order. When all three of those characters get in then maybe I'll think of Vectorman more. Even if those three did get in, I feel like I wouldn't really be hyped for Vectorman until basically every other Sega character gets in.

-----

CJ chance prediction: 1.00%

Nominations:
Curly as Quote's alt/echo x10

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Vectorman
Not much that needs to be said, there's not really anything positive to say for his chances.

Want: Abstain
I have no connection whatsoever to the games, but it would be funny if he got in, considering how obscure he is.

Predict CJ: 0.3%

Nominations
Beat x5

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Vectorman

There's steep competition from SEGA, and I don't think Vectorman is really in the running.

Want: 5%

I... don't know who this is.

Predict CJ: Let's do something bold and go with 20%.
Nominations: Filia x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Victor

Double zeroes. The Vectorman games are really good! But yeah Vectorman won't be getting in. He's simply very out-prioritized. There's plenty of Sega characters with good shots at a spot. Vectorman is just kinda forgotten nowadays. It gets on the collections but he doesn't make crossovers. Even when looking solely at retro Sega franchises I still think the likes of Altered Beast, Alex Kidd, Paradise Zone, Space Harrier and even Ristar are better known. Maybe if the series got a revival like Streets of Rage? As for want, like I said, the games are good and I'd recommend them. And you could have a very interesting moveset for Vectorman. But the game isn't influential or popular enough for me to deem it worthy of Smash. Just having good games doesn't cut it.

Noms: Marina Liteyears x10
CJ prediction: 11.69%

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Graphics the game

0% Chance

Vectorman was created to show off the Genesis hardware. It seems that Sega decided to ultimately leave him in the dust. He rarely shows in anything other than Genesis collections nowadays. Does not show in Sega Crossovers, nothing. The odds of him getting in over any Sega character is super low. Excluding another Sonic character (cough cough eggman) or Arle, you have tons of competition. Even if you decide it has to be something from the Genesis era, you have stuff like Ristar, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Altered Beast, and more. I fail to see how Vectorman makes it in.

0% Want

I actually like Vectorman, its pretty fun. I also am a big Genesis fan. But I do not really like him enough to say I want him in Smash. It is one of those situations where the longer time goes, the more negative I might be unless I really like a game. If you asked me a year ago when i was more optimistic, he could have gotten a 30%. Nowadays tho, I do not really want this. Shame, I like Genesis stuff a lot.

Neku x 10

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Vectorman
Nah, SEGA already has a ton of other characters that will get in long before this one. We're not getting into obscure characters like this when Eggman, Kiryu, and Arle aren't on the roster.

Not interested. I have a huge list of SEGA characters I want to see happen first. And even if they do get in I'll still put a 0% on this guy.

Nomination: Eggman x5
Predictions: CJ 12.6%

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Vectorman

Chance 0.1%
I'm not even sure if this character belongs to SEGA or Blue sky studios.
Lots of old Sega characters were made by another studio, in which case, it complicates things.

Want 1000%
Vectorman is in my personal Fave Five.
Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Classic Sonic, Vectorman, and Golden Axe are my absolute favorite sega ips.

Vectorman is a relatively agile robot who can shoot energy balls from the palms of his hands.
The thrusters on his legs give him the ability to double jump, and cause damage to enemies/objects in the process.

But he's also basically a shape shifter, as he can turn into a steamdrill, tank, robo-dino, train, among so many things.

Vectorman can also slow falling momentum by shooting down, something which is both unique and very fun to abuse.

Nobody probably cares about him, but I adore his games, and would be exctatic to have him in Smash.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Carl "CJ" Johnson from Grand Theft Auto.

Predict Don-chan from Taiko no Tatsujin.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the San Andreas mood:

Also just for fun, I'm gonna post some real world songs that can be heard in San Andreas via the radio:

how many days left on the current schedule?
Here is the current schedule:

Note that in addition to all of this, we will also be doing Sephiroth satisfaction ratings on Thursday.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
CJ

Chance: 5%. Grand Theft Auto is quite a big franchise, so having a rep is not quite impossible. It’s M rating would make things difficult, but if Snake, Bayonetta and Joker got in, then things are more likely. But I doubt he will make it in this Fighter’s pass.

Want: 50%. He would be fun to play as, and I can see him fight Snake, Bayonetta and Joker in a free for all. I can also see him fight a battle at Onnet (due to the cars). But I’m a bit conflicted of a Grand Theft Auto Rep in Smash. But as long as CJ is fun to play as, I think it just might work.

Prediction: Don-Chan (5%)

Noms: 5 for Echo: Bowser

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
CJ “Henry” Johnson Yes that was a terrible joke
I’m sure Sakurai enjoys GTA, but I don’t think he or Nintendo would want to promote something like GTA in Smash anything. Even then, I’m not sure how willing Rockstar is to lend out their IP.

I haven’t even played a GTA game, and even I can say it doesn’t tonally fit with Smash at all. Keep that **** as far away from Smash as possible.

Don-Chan: 30%

Noms
Crazy Dave x5

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Carl Johnson

Chance: 4%

While GTA is a huge series, I am not sure this series will get any rep. It's like COD. Sure, it's big, but characters themselves look generic and underwhelming aesthetically for Smash. These kinds of games aren't known for characters. Hell, I would argue that Red Dead Redemption has more for going in term of content fitting to Smash. Even within GTA series, there are more recent and memorable reps from GTA5. I mean GTA5 is far bigger than any GTA as it still constantly sells. I'm not sure CJ would be on Nintendo's radar. It's one of the series that don't have overlap with Nintendo fanbase. Sure, Smash is good at bringing new fanbases together, but there is little to no connection between Nintendo and GTA.

Want: 10%

I wouldn't be mad if this guy gets in, but aesthetically and moveset wise, I would rather choose other more charming candidates. Hell, Frank West basically covers most of stuff CJ can muster. Plus, he would bring more unique mechanic. Even from Rockstar, I would pick John Martson or Arthur Morgan over CJ. At least, their Dead Eye could be fun mechanic.

Nom: Characters that don't have their games on Nintendo platform x 10

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:ultluigi::ultluigi:,:4luigi:,:ultkirby:+:kirby64:, :ultfox:, :ultvillager::ultvillager:+🧀, 🍺

Chance: 0.01%
I really wish I could give something higher but right now CJ has basically everything stacked against him.
  • Rockstar doesn’t really have a special relationship with Nintendo. In the last 10 years, the only thing Rockstar has ever put on a Nintendo system was the Switch port of LA Noire. Neither San Andreas nor CJ himself have ever appeared on a Nintendo console in any capacity. Rockstar Games being a Western company does not help.
  • The GTA series is quite possibly the most controversial game series of all time thanks to its general violence as well as specific incidents like the cut Hot Coffee minigame in San Andreas and the torture mission in GTA V. We’ve seen Nintendo add M-rated characters to Smash before but I feel like this would be stretching the limit. Now can a GTA character be represented properly in-game without being overly censored? Absolutely. But just the bad reputation this series has with parents makes me think Nintendo won't want it near their big family-friendly game.
  • If Rockstar was choosing characters, one of the GTA V protagonists (most likely Trevor) would probably have priority. I feel like the three GTA V protagonists as well as a Red Dead character would be the only choices they'd offer Sakurai if given the opportunity.
  • Young Maylay - the voice actor of CJ - trash talked Rockstar Games earlier this year and said that he wants nothing to do with them (along with a ton of other inappropriate comments that wouldn’t be allowed here). Of course Rockstar could just get a new voice actor or reuse clips, but I feel like they won’t want anything to do with CJ after this. Again this makes me think Rockstar would only offer Franklin/Michael/Trevor to Sakurai.
Want: 100%
Which is a real shame, because San Andreas is easily one of my top 5 favorite games of all-time. I've poured so many hours into San Andreas and even now I can always find fun just by goofing off in it. I've been working on a writing piece involving CJ in Smash and while doing so he has quickly become one of my most wanted Smash characters. No matter how you look at it, GTA is a widely popular and influential series that I think deserves a spot in Smash already. Of course just about any GTA character would be alright with me but I think CJ would be the best choice. A lot of people have a ton of fond memories with San Andreas and its home to a ton of features/mechanics that would make CJ the most unique GTA choice.

-----

Don-chan chance prediction: 4.00%

Nominations:
Concept: Curly as Quote's alt/echo x5
Concept: A 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Carl Johnson

Chance 5 - CJ falls into the same issue that it feels like a few of the other pretty popular series have like CoD. GTA is very iconic, but that's pretty much all he has going for him at the moment. Moveset potential is there but isn't super interesting. Rockstar has a number of other characters that they could go for first realistically. Rockstar also doesn't have a lot of their content on Nintendo consoles. Rockstar is also a western rep so we already know how that all goes. On top of that there's a lot of competition from his own series here. I don't know a ton about the individual characters of GTA but it feels like a lot of them are pretty close to the same popularity as CJ is? There's just a ton of stuff going against him here. I'll keep the door open here a crack because the game and series are huge but I'm not really sure there's much else going on here in his favor.

Want 30 - Kinda hitting the issue I have with Call of Duty back when we talked about Alex Mason. I recognize how big and iconic the series is and it's one I've enjoyed whenever I've picked it up. At the same time though, I just kinda don't really have any interest in it being in Smash? I wouldn't argue it if it gets in and I'm not saying that he wouldn't fit, that's a dumb argument and one that's obviously not true given how everyone fits into Smash now. But at the same time I just kinda don't want to see GTA in Smash.

Predictions
Don-Chan - 3.43%

Noms:
Far Cry rep x10

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
abstain, never playd gta never going to. nom qbby x5

Here is the current schedule:

Note that in addition to all of this, we will also be doing Sephiroth satisfaction ratings on Thursday.
huh we havent been doing this for as long as i thought

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
All you had to do was counterpick to Spirit Train, CJ.

Chance: 1%. I will give him a 1% because I can see an avenue where CJ gets in; E3 2021 as a massive surprise pick that breaks the gaming industry in two. Other than that, to many a Grand Theft Auto character is a tough sell. I don't think content is an issue if Nintendo doesn't mind Bayonetta or Joker (two characters from games that would very quickly shatter Nintendo's family friendly image) being in the same room as Mario, at a glance CJ wouldn't have anything truly terrible about him, but that's about it. Young Maylay most likely won't work with Rockstar again anytime soon and CJ competes with the GTAV gang, who come from the more popular game. Bear in mind though, if Global Smash Roster is any indication, CJ (and Big Smoke) are the most popular requests for characters from GTA, and San Andreas is legendary for a combination of the right (and wrong) reasons and hasn't died down despite being almost two decades old, so it's not a curbstomp or anything. GTA has released on Nintendo consoles before, in GTA Advance and Chinatown Wars, but neither of those are the most popular of GTA games.

It also helps that he's the one with the best choice for a recovery. But I think this is a go-big-or-go-home character; either he's in, a Mii Costume for another GTA character's pack, a Spirit in another GTA character's pack, or there is absolutely nothing from the series. We also don't know how good Rockstar and Nintendo's relationship is, which could be worrysome. Music might seem like an issue, but all you really gotta do is spread the tracks out from across the series, there's plenty of original content to work with and you don't need to rely on licensed music.

Want: Now this is where things get interesting. I was previously under the belief that a GTA character would be too realistic. While I still think that of, say, Ryo Hazuki, Grand Theft Auto hits the right notes for me that I find it a much more believeable and natural inclusion. This series is a lot more wild and out-there than I was initially lead to believe, and San Andreas is probably among the most ridiculous (I'm not saying stuff like zombies or international conspiracies... maybe on that last one, but it is somewhat irreverant). It also has an iconic cast of characters and locations, with Big Smoke in particular having a legacy all to himself and being one of two standout candidates for a Legend Spirit.

And then there's the moveset. This is the backbone of why I want so many of my most wanted characters, and if I can't think of anything, then they tend to fall apart. CJ is not one of those characters. From a jetpack, to molotov cocktails, to a wide array of guns, to even his spray can, I can think of a lot of tools for CJ to use. And while carjacking might not be a thing in Smash, it would make for an excellent stage intro, and even Final Smash, as you can do a lot of damage in a car.

With that in mind, I think a GTA rep would be great, and who better than CJ? 75% Want. I never played San Andreas until this year, but it is probably one of the best choices I'd made.

Arle x 10. I am certain I made the mark this time. Don-Chan is a Bamco character which has seen better days in the speculation cycle. And has a fair amount of competition to boot. 10.75%.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Before I get into this rating, I will say now that my chance scores will be a little more harsher now with only 3 slots left.

All you had to do was follow the dam train CJ!

Chance: 5%

GTA is certainly a very popular series, especially in the west. GTA San Andreas in particular is one of the most popular titles in the series and was a big deal for its time. With a huge, varied map, stats that could be increased like in a RPG, and a whole slew of side activities, it blew people's minds and it got ports for Xbox 360, PS3, and phones so it got an extended life and for good reason. Aside from the graphics, it holds up really well and has certainly left a mark on Gaming.

But I just doubt this is happening. From the research I did, GTA does decent in Japan sales wise. GTA 5 is also the second western game to get a perfect score on Famitsu (the first being Skyrim). So while it's not nearly a big deal there as it is in other countries, Japan is certainly aware of the series and seems to like it. But that's not my big issue. My issue is the relationship between Rockstar and Nintendo. Rockstar's only game on Switch is L.A Noire and that was a while ago. GTA 5 is getting ports to PS5 and the Xbox Series X/S but not the Switch despite the fact that it could handle it. I'm just getting the vibe that Nintendo and Rockstar are not that close and while there have been a couple GTA games on Nintendo systems, their relationship is not strong at all so unless if GTA comes to the Switch in the near future, I think this is a big hurdle for the series.

When it comes to western companies, Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda, and even 2K are all closer to Nintendo and I can see any of them getting a rep. And even if Nintendo wanted a GTA character, they might just go with one of the protagonists of GTA 5 since that is the most popular GTA game over there. Though CJ still does have a chance, especially if they pull a Hero and gather protagonists from multiple games.

If we do get another western character, my bets are on Crash or Dragonborn as I think they will have priority.

Want: 80%

GTA San Andreas is one of my favorite games (8th favorite overall). It blew my mind as a kid, the fact that you had this huge world that you could just go and explore anywhere was super exciting because San Andreas has one of the best maps in Gaming. You have both quantity and quality with this map. Three cities to explore, a mountain, a desert with a military base, and plenty of side country to explore. While it obviously was not the first open world game, San Andreas was the first game that made me feel like I could truly go anywhere and do whatever I want. I spent so many hours playing around with cheats, exploring every nook and cranny of the map (To this day after a decade of playing it, I'm still discovering new things!), and causing mayhem with a wide range of weapons.

Due to that, CJ is most certainly my top pick for a GTA rep and while he is very vulgar, it's not like that is all of his personality. He is a likable character and has fun dialogue that doesn't have cursing in it. He would have a fun moveset with rocket launchers, sniper rifles, brass knuckles, and an assortment of auto weaponry. They can even include aspects of his gangster lifestyle like having spray paint in his moveset and having the Grove Street homies in his taunts.

It would be a big deal to have GTA, one of the most iconic franchises of all time, be represented in Smash, and it would personally be a big deal for me to have one of my favorite games represented in Smash. Oh yeah, I haven't even talked about the stage and music too. Simply put, I would die with hype if I could explore San Andreas all over again while fighting wacky characters. Imagine CJ fighting Mario, Simon, Sephiroth, and Duck Hunt in front of Grove Street with the San Andreas main theme playing.

Prediction: Don-Chan - 16%

Noms: Among Us character x10

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Chance: 10% Really unlikely, but I think since GTA is so important to the industry, his chances aren’t zero, although I do think it would be more likely to get someone from GTA V. If Snake can get in, there’s a chance for CJ

Want: 50% I actually think it would be pretty cool to get someone from GTA, and the moveset would probably be really fun

Noms: Other Street Fighter rep x5

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
CJ?... oooooOOOOOHHHH
GTA repesentation is something I can't see happening due to it being too grounded in the realism of the American crime world. We may have M-rated series repped in Smash but GTA is just filled to the brim with gang violence, drug usage, prostitution and the freedom to murder any cop and random civilian. San Andreas in particular had one of the biggest gaming controversies in the form of Hot Coffee and I don't think Nintendo or Sakurai would want to be associated with all that. Not only does that probably not appeal to Japan but could hurt the familiy friendly image of Smash Bros as well. Personally, I don't think GTA can be represented well when censored either. The relationship between Nintendo and Rockstar is also barely existent with the only support Rockstar has given to the Switch being a LA Noire port 3 years ago. The Switch didn't even get GTA V ported so I don't expect much more support from them. Speaking of that game, it's overall way more likely to get the spotlight in case GTA does get represented. SA is held to high regard but it just wasn't the phenomenom V was and still is. It was highlighted in the PS5 presentation, Rockstar is not letting that game go.

GTA is a series I have nothing against but I really don't need it in Smash. First of, western character competition. Second, Rockstar's lack of support for the Switch or most Nintendo systems in general makes me feel they aren't warranted a character. Lastly, I think I've expressed that the world of GTA just isn't suitable for Smash from an aesthetic or tonal standpoint. Playing as an actual criminal with a bunch of firearms in his moveset with a realistic urban area as a stage just sounds too jarring to me.

Don Chan: 14.61%
Henry Stickmin x10

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
CJ
There's no way Nintendo is ever gonna risk associating their family-friendly party game with something as widely known, vulgar and controversial as GTA. End of story.

They're okay games, but I don't think they are an appropriate fit for Smash.

Predict Don-chan: 2.4%

Nominations
Beat x5

Lyncario

Smash Ace
CJ

Chances: 0%

GTA4 isn't the last GTA that came out anymore, and considering that GTA5 has been out for years, I see no reason as to why Nintendo would pick CJ over Trevor if they wanted to have a GTA rep, not that I see them wanting one in the first place. Like, ok, it's popular, relevant, and an iconic series, but I really feel like it never crossed the mind of anyone at Nintendo at any point that a GTA rep in Smash could be cool. I really just don't think that it's possible at all.

Want: Abstain

I never played GTA of my life, though I do find the mems around CJ funny.

Predictions

Don-chan: 19.8%

Nominations: LoL rep rerate x5

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
CJ

Chance: 1%

I just, don't see GTA as a series that fits in Smash. I feel like there's a fundamental difference in themes between GTA and the other M-Rated series we currently have. Like, the other M-Rated games may have fantasy violence or warfare in them, but GTA's fundamental themes like drugs, criminal activity, gang violence, and prostitution are on a whole 'nother level. The series has had controversies and gotten in real world hot water based on how over the top the violence is, I just don't see Nintendo going for this.

Want: 1%

I don't really have that great an attachment to the series. I don't have much against the games itself, but from what I've seen it's not a series I want anywhere near Smash.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
CJ:

Chance 5%:

With how big GTA is as a series, we can't rule it out. Though, Nintendo may not want a character from a series notorious for gratitious violence, crude sexual humor, among other things..

Want 100%,:

Loved San Andreas when I played it.. So why the hell not?

Top Bottom