• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
2B Mii Costume

Chance: 0.1% -
2B is a Square Enix character, and as we've seen in the past, Square Enix content only comes with its' characters. And we have yet to see a company double dip in the same pass (and unlike last year, we aren't getting loads of Squenix spirit events, so their involvement has likely come to a close), so us getting another Square Enix character isn't likely. Now, I am leaving the door open since she wasn't deconfirmed wholesale. Sakurai had that dinner with Yoko Taro, and while it was after the pass was decided, we learned from Travis that Mii Costumes are a much more recent arrangement. So while this missed the boat for a character, it easily could result in the arrangement of a Mii. Yoko Taro's super lax with crossovers so he definitely wouldn't object to an offer to get her a costume. If it weren't for being tethered to Square Enix I would've given this a decent score!

Want: 40% - Never really been interested in Nier Automata or the themes the game presents, I never found it too appealing. Still, for me personally, this would be a much better result than her getting in as a playable fighter. Mii Costumes are harmless and at this point the final Miis will be revealed after FP11, so they won't be viewed as deconfirmations but bonuses! Plus it'd be a good way to throw the fans a bone without giving her a character slot, I was happy about the Dragonborn and Vault Boy costumes, and a lot of Shantae fans loved her costume, and same goes for the Arthur fans too! So it'd definitely bring some positive smiles to people's faces! So why not? It'd probably be more interesting than whatever FP11 will be anyway! xD

Nominations:
DJ Octavio x10

Predictions:
Pyramid Head - 4.53%

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
2B but Mii

12% Chance

To be honest, the fact that she is a Square Mii is what hurts her. Square has been shown in the past to be very...exclusive with their miis. Hero and Sephiroth were the only times we got Square Miis. That being said, I could see us getting one last one. For starters, there is the chance we get a Square Double Dip, perhaps for TWEWY. I find it funny how much the community has flip flopped on double dips. At first, saying a double dip was unlikely was something no one objected to. Then for a few months this spring everyone acted like it was just another fan rule made to be broken and saying that double dips were unlikely was considered weird. Now they are impossible again. To be honest, I personally think Neku could be a solid sleeper choice for last, given the TWEWY stuff this year and how the series is historically more underground especially in Japan. If we get another Square rep, 2B has a solid shot of showing up there.

If we don't... who knows. Maybe Square is willing to play ball for the mii, we can't say. In terms of coming without a Square rep, I would be less optimistic. If we do get a square rep, she has a solid shot.

100% Want

I don't really care for Miis tbh, and getting a Mii Swordfighter costume would suck since Mii Swordfighter is the worst one. But it means less competition for Neku and a consolation prize for 2B fans. Why would I oppose it? The only real downside is that we would have no Nier Music. But if this is the price I have to pay to get Neku in the game, I will pay it haha.

Kiryu rerate x 10

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
(and unlike last year, we aren't getting loads of Squenix spirit events, so their involvement has likely come to a close)
Sephiroth's release (which came with spirits) was only about 8 months ago and we got a Bravely Default II spirit event just a few months later in February. I wouldn't really say that their involvement in Ultimate is done with (even if we don't get another spirit event from them).

Either way, I don't think spirit events are a reliable way to see if a company is active since we've gotten two Deluxe Bethesda costumes (with a year in between each other's release) despite Bethesda having 0 spirits at all.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
2B Mii Costume

Chance: 10%. With one fighter left, and chances of her being a playable fighter has become 0% for Ultimate, her being a Mii Costume is still a possibility. Most likely case, she will be a Mii Swordfighter Costume, but we don’t know how many costumes are left.

Want: 50%. I prefer it if she got in as a fighter, a Mii Costume would still be cool regardless, and I can see her face off against R.O.B and Megaman. Overall, a Mii Costume of 2B would be a decent Mii Costume.

Prediction: Pyramid Head (5%)

Noms: 5 for Boss: Rayquaza

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Sephiroth's release (which came with spirits) was only about 8 months ago and we got a Bravely Default II spirit event just a few months later in February. I wouldn't really say that their involvement in Ultimate is done with (even if we don't get another spirit event from them).

Either way, I don't think spirit events are a reliable way to see if a company is active since we've gotten two Deluxe Bethesda costumes (with a year in between each other's release) despite Bethesda having 0 spirits at all.
I know, it was more of a smaller point. We just got tons of Square spirits last year so they were probably building up for it, and I was just trying to exemplify that Square's involvement is really winding down. Again, that can't PREVENT a character, but after last year I get a feeling that we won't see bears repeating. And thanks for correcting me on the BDII event! Either way, I still don't see our last character being a Square double-dip, (and if it were, they might've split Geno and Chocobo up, meaning Geno would cheat death yet again xP). Could it happen? Certainly, but I'm really not banking on it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
To Mii or no 2B

Chance: 0%
2B is a Square Enix character. Square Enix are notorious for only having Mii Costumes with their own characters. With them already having Sephiroth in this Pass and his Mii wave consisting of FF characters (and Geno) I'd say her time has passed. Her only hope is for a double dip for SE which is pretty unlikely.

Also worth noting is that Automata isn't on Switch. Nor are any of the other games in the series. 2B does get a cameo appearance on the Switch via PSO2, but this would still make this the only major piece of content from a franchise with no games on Nintendo systems in Smash history. I know that many like to believe that doesn't matter but the fact that it's never been broken to this extent (the only exception to the rule is Thunder Ceptor, which gets music as part of a Namco medley) has to mean something. Chances are she just isn't on Nintendo's radar.

Want: 100%
I probably won't buy it as I only buy Miis with music. But if she comes with music, **** yes, let's get Weight of the World to play on Nintendogs. Even if she doesn't, I'd say the game deserves the representation, it's a modern classic and 2B's an icon.

Noms: Magolor
Pyramid Head prediction: 4.27%

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Meat Boy x325
Corvo Attano x300
Tetra x260
Senator Armstrong x260
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x260
[Rerate] Kiryu x245
Ori x240

250 - 201

Gunvolt x225
Ratchet & Clank x215
Boss: Rayquaza x215
Stage: Bowser's Castle x207
Giygas x205

200 - 151

Sackboy x185
[Rerate] Tails x185
Kaede Akamatsu x185
Echo (Bowser) x158
Concept: Spirit Events continue after the Fighter Pass x155

150 - 101

Fulgore x147
Boss: Ender Dragon x143
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x138
Mii Costume: Monika x135
Concept: Destroy All Humans content x135
Soma Cruz x132
Magolor x130
Stage: Tetris x120
DJ Octavio x120
D.Va x115
[Rerate] Gene x110
Off The Hook x110
Concept: Crazy Taxi character x105

100 - 51

[Rerate] Eggman x100
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x100
Legends Trainer x90
Concept: Next game is not a reboot x85
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x75
[Rerate] Sora x75
Echo (Olimar) x66
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x65
[Rerate] Agumon x65
Ghirahim x60
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Jin Sakai x55
Lugia x55

50 - 25

Plague Knight x50
Springtrap x50
Mii Costume: Zagreus x40
E.M.M.I. x40
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Captain Charlie (Pikmin) x30
Joe Random (MLB: The Show) x30
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20
Concept: Bonus Fighter x20
Donbe and Hikari x20
[Rerate] Spyro x20
Nabbit x20
[Rerate] Earthworm Jim x16
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15
Echo: Ms. Pac-Man x15
[Rerate] Ezio Auditore da Firenze x15
Concept: Bonus Stages to fill out the stage select screen x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
Jesse Faden x10
Infernape x10
[Rerate] Gex x10
[Rerate] Concept: Echo Fighters Pass x10
[Rerate] Q*Bert x10
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x10
Omori x10
Mii Costume: Among Us x10
[Rerate] Brian x7
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
Siris (Infinity Blade) x5
Concept: Tsukihime rep x5
Concept: Challenger Pack with more than 15 spirits x5
Arcueid Brunestud (Tsukihime) x5
Firebrand x1

Kiryu beats up Ori and steals sixth place.

Concept: Spirit Events continue after the Fighter Pass crosses 150 noms.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
2B costume

Chance: 5%

I'm leaning towards no. I don't think it's a coincidence that Square costumes only ever came with Square characters. Sure you can point towards companies like Bamco and Capcom that like to spread their costumes throughout the pass but Square seems to be the exception. And that means that the best chance this has of happening is if Square double dips. Now I've argued before why I don't think double dips are likely, and I think it's one of the few fan rules that actually has evidence to back it up (Steve and Banjo being in separate passes is the main argument). Obviously there is the caveat that this fan rule could be broken and if Square does get another character, I'd say this is likely. But for now I'm not sold.

Which is a shame because I loved what I've played of Nier Automata. It's a profoundly beautiful game so I would love for it to get represented in any way possible. I don't understand the mindset that costumes are somehow an insult to the character, it's literally the second or third best case scenario for a character and it's an honor to get that level of recognition in Smash.

Prediction: Pyramid Head - 10%

Noms: Destroy All Humans content x10

Last edited:

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
The joke was taken, imagine there's a funny title here.

Chance: 1%
This point has been parroted multiple times so for the sake of brevity I'll keep it short: Square puts costumes with characters at seemingly all times, and it still looks unlikely that this pattern will break. They can break, but so far it looks like 2B will miss the Mii train for Ultimate.

Want: 100% Once the last character's announced, everyone's deconfirmed for a slot and you'll want your MW's at the Mii Costume table. While 2B isn't technically one of my MW's, I'd still love to see Nier represented in some form.

Predict Pyramid Head: 12%

Noms: Rerate Kiryu x all

Edit: meant to put 1% rather than 0.1%

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I'm not going to give a % chance, but I'm going to say that Square being stingy is heavily overblown. While SE mii costumes only came with SE characters so far, they still let Nintendo have spirit events for Octopath, Bravely Default 2, and more importantly, the reason why SE was seen as stingy to begin with was that they did not let Nintendo have a lot of FF content, but we now know that it's because FF rights are a massive mess internationaly, and DQ has Koichi Sugiyama as one of the holders of the rights, so no more need to talk about it, just google the guy if you want more info. Considering that the last mii wave was of some fan favorite characters, 2B being one of them is very possible in my opinion, if we assume the last mii wave will be similar, since SE and Platinum Games are both happy to work with Nintendo, and that 2B became a pretty popular request over the dlc period, especialy in Japan.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
abstaining. while 2B seems like the sort of costume we could end up with i dont know enough. noms go to spirit events continue after pass

Laniv

Smash Lord
2B 2B 2-Wah, 2B 2B 2-Wah, Perry! (but as a Mii)

Chance: 12%

She's a Square Enix character, right? Yeah, that kinda puts a dent in her chances because Square Enix Mii costumes tend to come with characters. Unless Neku or Sora happen, she's kinda done for.

Abstain on Want

Prediction for Pyramid Head: 27% Chance, 47% Want

Nominate Magolor x 5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Pyramid Head

Chance: 13%

First, Silent Hill definitely deserves the Smash treatment. It’s second to Resident Evil as the most iconic and influential horror series ever. It’s been around since the 90s and has made an impact on the industry and is a multimedia franchise. Its status alone warrants an inclusion.

But now let’s move onto the debates because there are several of them.

The first conversation is whether or not Silent Hill fits into Smash. Now we’ve had some dark series like Castlevania and mature series like Metal Gear and Persona make it into Smash. But Silent Hill would be by far the most serious and somber inclusion to the roster. It has a heavy emphasis on symbolism, mostly referring to the fact that the monsters are physical representations of people’s fears and anxieties. That includes Pyramid Head himself. Now do they need to incorporate the symbolism into Smash? Probably not. Pyramid Head can work just fine on his own, but a lot of the appeal to the character does come from that symbolism and due to the nature of Smash it would be hard to translate that symbolism. In addition, Silent Hill is gloomy. There is basically no humor in the series and unlike Castlevania it lacks that “fun horror” vibe which prevents it from naturally fitting in with the rest of the Smash cast. Silent Hill is….depressing which it is supposed to be but if they want to put it into Smash, a lively and cheery game, it would have to be altered a lot. But to counter this point, this would likely just be a concern from Sakurai’s perspective since he always tries to stay faithful to the original games. The thing is, Nintendo themselves chose this pass and I doubt that they would let that of all things stop them from making money (Since Silent Hill is iconic afterall). They could just say to make the stage as creepy as Dracula’s Castle and call it a day.

The next argument is whether or not Pyramid Head is too scary for Smash. I’m conflicted on this. On one hand, he is intimidating and I can see why little kids would find him frightening. But at the same time there are ways to make him less scary by removing the blood on him and just making his sword rusty. Plus would he really be that scarier than anything on Dracula’s Castle? I don’t think so. Speaking of stage cameos, there are some enemies that I can see being okay to incorporate in the stage such as the nurses, Air Screamers, and some of the canine monsters. If they wanted an interesting gimmick for the Silent Hill stage, they could implement the famous siren which transitions Silent Hill from the real world to the Otherworld. There are also audio cues to let the player know there are enemies nearby. I think it would be great to put in some hostile enemies onto the stage that attacks the players, and they can use the audio cues to warn the players beforehand. This would be a good way to insert the fear and anxiety aspect that the Silent Hill games give players in a way that fits with Smash.

Now to analyze Silent Hill’s place in speculation, I think it’s a darkhorse. While the series is iconic for sure, it has had a rough history in its later years. The last couple games received mixed reviews and aside from the P.T demo there hasn’t been a game since 2012. While there are consistent rumors of a remake or new game coming soon, it isn’t certain. Not to mention Pyramid Head isn’t a particularly requested character either. And when talking about Konami characters, Alucard and Bill Rizer probably would seem more appealing to Nintendo as they have games on the Switch. But despite all that I think Silent Hill could scrape by based on its brand recognition alone. Plus it has zero content in Smash despite its legacy.

Want: 80%

Admittedly I don’t have a lot of experience with Silent Hill. I’ve only played the second game and watched the film (Which is surprisingly good btw). But I have gotten a good idea of what the games are about and I gotta say, put that **** in Smash. I’ve said it many times, but I’m a big fan of horror so I would love to see a horror series get represented. Pyramid Head looks so cool, a Silent Hill stage would be da bomb (I love atmospheric stages like Luigi’s Mansion and Dracula’s Castle), and hearing the main theme in Smash would be a fever dream and I’m all up for it.

Prediction: Junpei - 9.99% (I just had to)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Even after middle school I'm terrified of Pythagoras Pyramids

Chance: 1% So, a horror character. Silent Hill is up there with Resident Evil when it comes to iconic horror games, funny enough with both having had quite a few movies each, but there are a few things one has to wonder when speculating for his chances. For starters, Konami. I believe they'd gladly cooperate as they've had multiple DLC Mii Costumes with Goemon and Bomberman so they'd easily be on board, the next question is if they'd pick Silent Hill which I feel may happen as the only competition that comes to mind is Raiden who to be fair is a pretty popular request and the biggest question of all is if they're willing to tone the series down, Pyramid Head is easy as you can remove the blood but what about the other content we'd get? The protags and side characters are easy to imagine but a lot of monsters in the series would be rough to tone down due to their freaky designs.

Want: 95% Silent Hill may be a franchise I've never played but I have nothing but respect for it be it 2 with the entire game being easily defined as a masterpiece, 3 doing a similar take on 2 but as a sequel to 1, 4's main area being unsettling but safe until later in the game, Shattered Memories' phenomenal twist and Downpour's genuine love with the series with cool ideas. When someone suggested how he'd work in the Newcomer thread, I endednup falling in love with the idea, having this slow beast of a man with a ridiculously long and powerful knife already sounds like fun but an idea that would have PH debuff opponents by shrouding himself in fog and using barbed wires and **** from his Dead by Daylight appearance sounds so good I'd be foolish to disagree with it. My only reason for this not being 100% is because I somewhat agree with the criticisms of overusing Pyramid Head as he only really makes sense for James and his guilt, though at the same time, the series has been dead for a long time and he's easier to make a make as a character compared to others so I'd completely understand the desicion.

Soma x10

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Pyramid head

Chance: 5%. Given that character is from a horror game, it could have a chance to appear. But with only one slot left, and it’s more likely that if we get a horror game character, it will be from Resident Evil, but that does not mean Pyramid Head is not down for the count.

Want: 50%. Pyramid Head would be fun to play as, and I can see him, Ridley and Sephiroth fight each other in Dracula’s Castle. Overall, Pyramid Head would make a decent Smash Bros rep and would be an unexpected fighter.

Prediction: Junpei (5%)

Noms: 5 for Echo: Bowser

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
abstain, never played silent hill and everything ive heard about it sounds terrible. also from what ive read theres no in universe explanation as to why his head is a pyramid which is odd for a game about symbolism. noms go to spirit events continue after pass

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Alright, tapped out for a while but this one looks fun so I'll do it

Pyramid Head

Chance 1 - There's some stuff in Pyramid Head's favor. First is that Silent Hill is owned by Konami. With Konami already having multiple characters in Smash that's a good start. Silent Hill is also not on Nintendo right now, but the series is pretty well known to the point where I could maybe see it getting into Smash regardless. The problem here is that, and this is why I haven't really been participating in the thread anymore, there's only 1 spot left and it's likely going towards a 1st party character. Usually I'd go about 25% or so on this character. But with 1 spot left I don't see it anymore.

Want 90 - Never played Silent Hill but I love horror stuff. Feel like the game would be right up my ally. If there's a remake/remaster out at some point in the future I'd likely be all over that.

Noms:
Ori x all(including extras that I might still have)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Meat Boy x325
Corvo Attano x300
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x265
Tetra x260
Senator Armstrong x260
[Rerate] Kiryu x260
Ori x240

250 - 201

Gunvolt x225
Boss: Rayquaza x220
Ratchet & Clank x215
Stage: Bowser's Castle x207
Giygas x205

200 - 151

Sackboy x185
[Rerate] Tails x185
Kaede Akamatsu x185
Concept: Spirit Events continue after the Fighter Pass x160
Echo (Bowser) x158
Fulgore x152

150 - 101

Magolor x145
Boss: Ender Dragon x143
Concept: Destroy All Humans content x140
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x138
Mii Costume: Monika x135
Soma Cruz x132
DJ Octavio x130
Stage: Tetris x120
D.Va x115
[Rerate] Gene x110
Off The Hook x110
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x110
Concept: Crazy Taxi character x105
[Rerate] Eggman x102

100 - 51

Legends Trainer x90
Concept: Next game is not a reboot x85
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
[Rerate] Sora x78
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x75
[Rerate] Agumon x70
Echo (Olimar) x66
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x65
Ghirahim x60
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Jin Sakai x55
Lugia x55

50 - 25

Plague Knight x50
Springtrap x50
Mii Costume: Zagreus x40
E.M.M.I. x40
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Captain Charlie (Pikmin) x30
Joe Random (MLB: The Show) x30
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20
Concept: Bonus Fighter x20
Donbe and Hikari x20
[Rerate] Spyro x20
Nabbit x20
[Rerate] Earthworm Jim x16
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15
Echo: Ms. Pac-Man x15
[Rerate] Ezio Auditore da Firenze x15
Concept: Bonus Stages to fill out the stage select screen x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
Jesse Faden x10
Infernape x10
[Rerate] Gex x10
[Rerate] Concept: Echo Fighters Pass x10
[Rerate] Q*Bert x10
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x10
Omori x10
Mii Costume: Among Us x10
[Rerate] Brian x7
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
Siris (Infinity Blade) x5
Concept: Tsukihime rep x5
Concept: Challenger Pack with more than 15 spirits x5
Arcueid Brunestud (Tsukihime) x5
Firebrand x1

Bandana Dee waddles past Senator Armstrong and Tetra to take third place.

Fulgore fights past 150 noms.

Eggman and Rhythm Heaven rep break past 100 noms.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Pyra-mid-head 😳
Chance: 0%
I just really can't see this happening. Assuming we'd end the pass with a Konami character, there's Contra competition to consider. An IP that, unlike Silent Hill, has bigger Nintendo presence and Konami has done more with as of recent. They don't have to go for the more Nintendo relevant series, yes, but Silent Hill is Silent Hill and that's more of a downside in this case. We don't have much Resident Evil content in Smash outside a few Spirits despite how big that series is. Some have speculated it's because they didn't really know how to properly portray the horror aspects of the franchise. If that's true then Silent Hill is definitely screwed since that series is even more messed up than the relatively campy RE. Nevermind the fact that Pyramid Head itself looks a bit too gruesome for our E10+ fighting/party game I'd say. Fighters as of late are aimed to be represented as best as possible so his appearance in something like Super Bomberman R doesn't apply. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard that it also ***** a dead body at some point and yeah I guess they could ignore that and leave it out but it would likely proof that this character would be crossing the line anyway.

Want: 0%
Nah, I just don't believe Pyramid head fits in. No offense to Silent Hill. It's an aclaimed, iconic franchise but untill it makes a proper return it should probably sit things out. When it comes to horror I think RE with somebody like Leon Kennedy would make more sense in the context of Smash and that series is also more overdue imo. This is also not forgetting any other character I have my mind on for FP11.

Junpei: 2.44%
Bandana Dee x10

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Pyramid Head

Chance:10%

I saw this on the Pyramid Head Support thread and figured I’d pop in. Silent Hill has an alright shot considering the deconfirms we’ve gotten. With Konami already supporting Smash and a rumored new SH game it would make sense for a deal to be cut resulting in Pyramid Heads inclusion. Resident Evil being spirited and other M rated series being included means Nintendo likely shouldn’t have that big an issue including it. The big problem for PH is that hes competing with Bill Rizer, Alucard, Frogger, and Raiden for CP11 when many of them have as solid or more solid cases to be made for their inclusion. Competition and without a new SH game being properly announced its hard to see why Nintendo would choose Pyramid Head.

Pyramid Head is up there with Phoenix Wright and Porky as my most wanted Smash inclusion. The possibility for a great moveset using the Great Knife and Spear, and the other forces of Silent Hill would be amazing to see in Smash. Silent Hill 2 is one of my favorite games ever so having SH would be a dream come true.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
also from what ive read theres no in universe explanation as to why his head is a pyramid which is odd for a game about symbolism
Part of the appeal is that there are few definitive answers meaning a lot is lead to a player's own interpretations which in turn makes the game more interesting in some areas and more disturbing in others, like, I believe Pyramid Head smothers the Mannequin to death in his first appearance which could symbolize the iconic twist, others believe he's ****** it as it could symbolize James' sexual frustration. Pyramid Head himself however is outright said to be an executioner to represent a desire to be punished

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
also from what ive read theres no in universe explanation as to why his head is a pyramid which is odd for a game about symbolism.
There is no proper explanation, but the designer said the edges of the helmet were made to suggest Pyramid Head is in pain. Heres a link. So the main idea I’ve seen is the Helmet is a representation of the main characters guilt weighing him down.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There is no proper explanation, but the designer said the edges of the helmet were made to suggest Pyramid Head is in pain. Heres a link. So the main idea I’ve seen is the Helmet is a representation of the main characters guilt weighing him down.
i didnt say there was no reason, i said there was no in universe reason. i read the thing about the designer explaining why

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
i didnt say there was no reason, i said there was no in universe reason. i read the thing about the designer explaining why
That is the reason in universe. Silent Hill monsters are reflections of the main character, Pyramid Head wears the Helmet because without it he has no purpose.

Unlike many pieces of media, Silent Hill monsters are their symbolism. It is their reason for existence. Take away their symbol and they would stop existing as that is their reason for manifesting in the first place.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That is the reason in universe. Silent Hill monsters are reflections of the main character, Pyramid Head wears the Helmet because without it he has no purpose.

Unlike many pieces of media, Silent Hill monsters are their symbolism. It is their reason for existence. Take away their symbol and they would stop existing as that is their reason for manifesting in the first place.
ok but you worded it in a way that made it sound like he never confirmed it was the in universe reason and the fans just assumed

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
ok but you worded it in a way that made it sound like he never confirmed it was the in universe reason and the fans just assumed
Sorry if I was unclear.

To be simple with it, we know he manifested because of the symbolism, but we don’t know exactly what the symbolism is. We’ve got a pretty good idea of it. Thats where the whole interpretation aspect of Silent Hill comes into play and why its still so well regarded after all these years.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Red Pyramid Thing (as he's called in Japan)

Chance: 5%
It is certainly possible, Konami is usually ignored in speculation despite having lots of candidates. Silent Hill definitely qualifies, it's one of the biggest and most acclaimed horror series in gaming. However I don't think it's necessarily the Konami franchise that Nintendo would pick first. Silent Hill is kinda dead, the last game (not counting PT) came out nearly ten years ago, and even if the many (many, many, many) rumors about upcoming new titles are real, SH probably won't be coming to Switch. I dunno, with Contra and Castlevania being alive-ish I'd expect those to get noticed instead.

Also of note is that fellow horror juggernaut Resident Evil was skipped over. We don't know why yet but there are potential implications there.

Want: 0%
I love Silent Hill but I do not want Pyramid Head as a fighter. I was always on the camp that he only makes sense when James is involved and turning him into a mascot diminishes his impact. Having him duking it out with Kirby and Pyra would be particularly egregious as its not even a horror themed game. I get that he's probably the best suited to rep the franchise because you can't really make a fighter out of James or Heather but still. I'd rather the series get a standalone stage, maybe some music, and that's it.

Noms: Magolor
Junpei prediction: 9.99% (nah that's not true but someone had to do it)

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gonna abstain today, as I don't know much about Silent Hill (and memories of it and Resident Evil have kinda blended in the past anyway). But I have to say I do agree with a lot of GoodGrief's points on the franchise. While Konami's a darkhorse, there's also many other of their franchises they could choose that wouldn't be quite as delicate as a horror rep, and Silent Hill has been inactive for a long time. Even if those revival games do end up happening, it'd be way too late to be a point of consideration for the second pass. And if Nintendo passed over Resident Evil, things aren't looking good for Silent Hill. It could get a spirit event (we DID get a Goemon Mii costume) but I don't really see a playable fighter in the cards.

Nominations:
DJ Octavio x5

Predictions:
Junpei - 4.29%

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
Pyramidion Cranium

Chance: 1%

Yeah, it ain't looking good for him. The combination of Silent Hill's dormancy and the competition for other Konami IPs does not put him in a good spot. I'd sooner expect a Contra character, or Frogger, or even Goemon.

Abstain on Want

Predictions for Junpei: 6% Chance, 42% Want

Nominate Tetris stage x 5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Abstaining since I haven't gotten into SH.

Junpei chance prediction: 9.99%

Nominations:
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Calcs (which I will probably do on Saturdays from now on)

Waluigi
8.46% Chance - 62.39% Want
I. 14.81% - 69.17%
II. 19.81% - 60.75%
III. 22.68% - 54.24%
IV. 10.52% - 52.46%
The winner of predictions was GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 by virtue of being the lowest prediction, with 9.69%

Isaac
13.00% Chance - 67.46% Want
I. 10.54% - 59.42%
II. 20.45% - 67.22%
III. 22.17% - 72.41%
IV. 13.18% - 66.67%
Isaac had one outstanding chance rating of 80%. Without it his chance score would be 7.86%.
The winner of predictions was waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi with 13.27%

Louie
3.06% Chance - 44.36% Want
The last time we rated him he got 1.30% chance and 46.50% want. The small uptick in chance can probably be attributed to Pikmin 3 Deluxe's sales data.
The winner of predictions was WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever with 2.87%

Octoling
17.72% Chance - 47.83% Want
The winner of predictions was GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 with 17.93%

I have finally done it. I've nominated a character that got a good chance score. This has been my mission for years now and it happened. Veemo *******

Mii Costume: 2B
9.89% Chance - 79.55% Want
This costume had one chance score of 40% (against a second highest of 12%). Take that away and her score becomes 6.13%
2B's is now the fourth likeliest Mii Costume and the most wanted.
The winner of predictions was Laniv Laniv with a precise 10.00%

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Junpei from the Zero Escape series.

Predict Concept: Virtual idols like Hatsune Miku

-----

Music post for today. I know there's probably better songs and you're free to post them if you find them, but this is a series I've been eyeing up for a while and I don't want to risk being spoiled.

-----

Abstaining today since I don't want to be spoiled. I only recently found out that the first two games are on Steam and I'm planning get them when a sale happens.

Virtual idol chance prediction: 7.00%

Nominations:
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Nein! Nein! Nein!

Chance: 3%

Zero Escape is a visual novel/puzzle series focused on groups of people who are put in a game of life or death where they have to solve multiple puzzles with a catch, such as a time limit or some kind of hinderance. The first game was released on the DS and the following two games got released on the 3DS so right there the series is comfortably on Nintendo's radar. Not only that, but it's probably one of the more popular visual novel series, notably doing quite well in the West despite the niche status of the genre in that region. But unfortunately when we look at it the other way around, it's a different story. Apparently the series struggled in Japan for a while, with the first two games flopping in sales. In fact the third game's development stopped halfway through, only resuming after strong fan demand. I don't think I have to exactly spell out how much of a obstacle that is considering how Smash characters are often chosen and the thing is Junpei doesn't have the Smash demand to counteract that.

Putting aside that, Junpei is a regular human being, although he is quite smart. So similarly to other characters ike Professor Layton I'd imagine his moveset would revolve around puzzle elements, like maybe some objects or weapons that are subtlety taken from the various puzzles throughout the series. I honestly can't picture an exact moveset and how it would work, but with Sakurai I don't have any doubts with that madman.

Want: 75%

I enjoyed my time with 999 (The only one I've played so far, which I should fix). The atmosphere of the game is something else man, it really pulled me in and made me intrigued about the characters, the motives behind the mastermind, and all the circumstances that led the characters to being in this odd situation. The puzzles are just the right difficulty and my jaw dropped at some of the revelations. It's an amazing game and anyone who is a fan of this type of mystery game should try it out ASAP. It's that good.

As for the content that would matter to Smash, I would really like a stage based off the location from the first game. Even when you know nothing about the place, it just gives off this eerie vibe that I enjoy. And generally I really like the music too. It's such a unique soundtrack and I love it when elements from different games clash in Smash, it's just part of the charm. And of course the Smash spot would give much needed recognition to such an underrated series.

Prediction: Virtual idols - 6% (Oh boy what a day this will be......)

Top Bottom