• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
...and the other has a very uncertain future...

...because I think he's a sinking ship....
I'm just curious, did you look at the arguments that me and Phantom brought up the other day in regards to Crash's future? Because there is enough evidence to say that Crash likely isn't doomed. This is the last time I'll bring it up but I'm very tired of people saying that Crash has no future when he has had such a strong revival.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I'm just curious, did you look at the arguments that me and Phantom brought up the other day in regards to Crash's future? Because there is enough evidence to say that Crash likely isn't doomed. This is the last time I'll bring it up but I'm very tired of people saying that Crash has no future when he has had such a strong revival.
The latter (sinking ship), firstly, was not about his series in general, just Smash speculation. I don't think his series will lose starpower, but I don't see a happy ending for Crash in Smash Ultimate.

The other one (uncertain future) is more interesting, because on one hand he seems to have done well both critically and commercially, but on the other there doesn't seem to be much in terms of things to look forward to. I don't think he's dead necessarily, but I am currently at the "wait and see" portion.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The latter (sinking ship), firstly, was not about his series in general, just Smash speculation. I don't think his series will lose starpower, but I don't see a happy ending for Crash in Smash Ultimate.

The other one (uncertain future) is more interesting, because on one hand he seems to have done well both critically and commercially, but on the other there doesn't seem to be much in terms of things to look forward to. I don't think he's dead necessarily, but I am currently at the "wait and see" portion.
Fair enough. I'll say that in regards to things to look forward to, well Crash 4 just came out last year so yeah it may take a while for them to announce a new game. If you are talking in regards to the many directions that the series could go in, then yeah I see what you mean.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Chief

2% Chance

Chief is in a weird predicament right now. He is kind of deconfirmed, he missed the boat at E3, and he would be a double dip which right now at least seems to be off the table. So why am I even entertaining the idea?

Vergeben. The fact that Verge doubled down at least to me makes me think there is a slim chance that somehow despite the decomfirmations and missing E3, Chief might maybe just finish the fight. Essentially, it is how much you trust Verg on his word.

Now in terms of what Verg leaked, Metroid and a mediocre Zelda anniversary line up. I know some people might bring up the champions thing, but even before E3 came out I said that was just Verg ****ing with people and not in the same boat as Chief. As for the DK game, there are enough rumblings around and other leakers that make me believe whether Verg is saying it or not, a new DK is probably on the horizon. So the question is, how much faith do you put in Verg?

As you can see, I do not put that much faith in him after all this. Part of why Verg was holding on for so long was that his track record was great. But now it isn’t. Maybe he will be right at the end of the day, but right now I am not confident.

You have other misc stuff that could make sense for Chief, but honestly I feel like its ride or die for leaks like Verg or King Zell, while everything else seems against Chief.

The one thing I will say before I end is that Chief, more than anyone character, has been someone the community has jumped through hoops to justify. Conventions like no double dips or interviews being a bad sign seem to be ignored by the community for Chief in particular. I know the idea of Chief in smash is tantalizing, but at the same time I think some of yall have been overconfident in him.

100% Want

I would love Chief in Smash. Legit, the idea of putting HALO in smash is super cool because it fully cements Smash as gaming’s greatest celebration. The “Nintendo All Stars” era of smash has long been dead, but this would be the nail in the coffin. Seeing Microsoft’s golden boy alongside Mario, Link, and Pikachu would fully cement this new era of smash speculation. And I am all for it.

Halo itself deserves its place in smash. It is a legendary series. There is a reason it was the game that sold the Xbox brand. Honestly, the idea of a first person shooter rep alone interests me. The idea of it being Master Chief is even more interesting.

Crash

30% Chance

This might just be me being an optimist, but I am not counting Crash out yet. Crash makes enough sense to put in, the problem right now is that E3 was his best bet. Granted, I am not as pessimistic as I was say, right after Kazuya.

Originally, I was going to not touch on this as much, but the amount of misinformation I have seen going around about the TFB situation and saying Crash is dead forced me to put even more of a focus on it.

I saw some people talk about the TFB situation, and flat out it does not matter in the slightest. Since his revival, Crash has had 4 different developers work on his series. He does not have a stable set of developers. So even in a worst case scenario, Crash seems fine. But the worst case scenario right now is not with Crash, its with Call of Duty. It is pretty well known that COD Vanguard…is in a bad state right now. Simply put, you have the least experienced COD Team which has made many of the weaker games according to reviews working on new hardware, it’s a recipe for disaster. TFB having to work on COD for a bit makes sense for two reasons. First, this is clearly an all hands on deck situation considering how many Activision studios are doing COD support right now. Activision is clearly trying to save Vanguard and also perhaps seek out a replacement for Sledgehammer. TFB, being coding wizards, make a ton of sense to put to the task. They put Reignited, N Sane, and Crash 4 on the switch, they know how to code quite well. I think the TFB situation is one big nothing burger no matter what.

Some people have brought up Liam Robertson saying Crash is dying, but that is just dumb for two reasons. First off, Liam has changed his story multiple times. First he teased that he would be releasing the video soon about how Crash was dead. Then he kept it patreon locked. Than he backpedeled hard after all the Wumpa League rumors began to circulate. Given his last big activision leaks were in 2016 with Skylanders ending, I would trust more active Activision sources, such as Canadian Guy, who have been in contact with multiple Crash devs and have contradicted Liam. Furthermore, if there is someone’s word who I would take over Liam’s about Crash, its ACTIVISIONS. Activision still labels Crash a core franchise. They talked favorably about Crash 4 overpreforming (even before the next gen and switch ports based on the timeframe of the investor report) their expectations. They cleary have something planned for Crash’s 25th anniversary. If I had to choose between someone who has backpedaled multiple times about the fate of Crash or the words of people that we know are in the know and ****ing ACTIVISION, I would take the latter’s word.

Essentially, people are looking for something to go full doomer over about Crash, when to be honest there just isn’t enough to even say. This is one of those circumstances where misinformation and rampant speculation just make a narrative that people want to believe. No one loves Activision. They are certainly no angels. But right now, there is not enough evidence to say that Activision is

Also on a further note, I saw someone bring up some wonky email stuff about Activision. If you look at their investor report, it would not make sense to go full COD. They said COD underperformed, while Crash and Tony Hawk overpreformed and helped offset their losses on COD. Most likely, its some intern who made an oopsie.

Now with that out of the way, lets go take a look at your regularly scheduled programing.

Part of the reason I am not counting Crash out yet is just the brutal fact that the third parties this pass were all very big choices. Tekken is arguably the biggest fighting game that is not Street Fighter. Final Fantasy is the biggest JRPG series that is not Pokemon. And Minecraft is Minecraft. The scope of each of these gives me that spark of hope that perhaps, there is room for one more “big” third party. It also helps that this is Smash Ultimate, where I could genuinely see them try to go out on a higher note. Combine that with the fact that Kazuya seems to appeal to Japanese fans a bit more than Western fans (for now, trust me give it two weeks after his presentation everyone will say he was a GOAT choice like Terry) and I think that you can squint and say that maybe one last big ish character can come.

I will say this, if we get a “big” character last, Crash honestly still is one of the better choices to bet on. Dante is dead, Doomslayer looks dead, Monster Hunter is dead, most “big” third parties just are not as much in play as they were when we last evaluated Crash. While I personally was wrong about some things with Mii Costumes, I still feel that the field of big candidates is a lot smaller than people are giving credit for.

Crash is in a good spot as a western rep because of how popular he is in Japan. While not an S Tier request there like he is in the west, Crash is very popular and has been for a while. In the Smash 2 polls, Crash was one of the most brought up third parties. The only other one on the top five that is not in smash is Doreamon, and that is because he is not a video game character. Everyone else in some way, shape, or form is in Smash. Crash also is very popular in Japan still in speculation. Based on my conversations with those more in tuned to Japanese speculation, Crash is really the only Western rep taken seriously right now. There are some passing mentions of Chief, but Crash is the only western rep that has significant traction there. I do not think I have to state that Crash is popular in the West. Crash has had a slow moving coup over speculation over the lifespan of ultimate, going from a dark horse that was quickly gaining support at the beginning of this games life span, to one of the most omnipresent forces in speculation. Simply put, if you want a crowd pleaser, Crash fits the bill.

It also helps that the timing for crash also lines up reasonably well. Even if you want to go full doomer about Crash as a franchise, which as I illustrated up there is dumb, Crash would have been selected in 2019. In 2019, Crash just had a huge revival, CTR did amazingly, and Crash 4 was on the way next year. Crash in 2019 was just in a perfect spot to be considered, given how in the public eye he was at the time.

Basically, the situation for Crash is still the same. The timing lines up well enough, hes still uber popular, and he has a noted presence on the switch and Nintendo history. The only change is that Crash was not our E3 reveal, Kazuya was. Big characters can be revealed in just a direct, Little Mac, K Rool, and especially Cloud show that. Without that E3 reveal, Crash is no longer the undisputed front runner right now, but I would still say if we get one more bombshell, which to be honest is not impossible given that all three of the third parties this pass were big, I think Crash would be it.

Also if you really wanted to be a *******, Crash would still be the smallest IP of the bunch at the time of the pass selection.

100% Want

Duh.

Look, yall know I am one of the original Crash for Smash stans. I have been pushing Crash since the ballot days. I love the Crash games on the PS1. I love CTR. The revivals have been great. I could talk more, but honestly I have talked in depth on this multiple times in the past. Look at any of my past ratings and how much Crash as a series means to me. Legit, i think it is obvious how happy Crash would make me. The idea of Sony's mascot making it into Smash is perfect, but also Crash just...fits so well into smash. Keep an eye on Crash for smash, I would bet on him being one of the biggest requests in Smash 6

Also there is the small caveat of opening the door to the idea of Spyro in smash. Which would be my true never ever want.

Nominating Concept: Tetris Stage x 20

Day over. Rate Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu in Chance and Want, Predict Arle and Concept: Phantasy Star Newcomer.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The man who cross-examined a parrot

Chance: 30%

Phoenix is in the best position he's ever been in. His biggest competitors Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and Dante are all now dead and when you look at his merits he has a lot going for him. He was raised on Nintendo systems and thus has a lot of fan demand, he fits with the theme of the last character being niche, the console ports of the trilogy came out in 2019 which lines up well with the timeline of when this pass was decided on, and finally with a shiny new game Nintendo has reasons to go for this. Especially since that new game is a localization of previously Japanese-only games, signaling confidence from Capcom that the series is still going strong. And speaking of Capcom they seem generous and easy to work with judging from all the content they got in base game. Since Bamco got a new character despite seemingly dragging their feet for the longest time, I would not be surprised if Capcom got a character for this pass and Phoenix is now their frontrunner.

Now I want to discuss the Capcom Mii costumes. Originally I argued that maybe they were gonna save the Capcom character for E3, hence why the MH and Arthur costumes released without a Capcom character. Well that theory is now dead, but as it turns out we got Kazuya despite getting the Heihachi costume. Now I suspect that this was probably because of Harada since he does pull stunts like using leakbait to surprise people. But without any confirmation of this idea it's safe to say that costumes for a company don't deconfirm characters from other franchises of that same company. With this in mind, Phoenix has no real obstacles so he's in a dam good position.

Want: 100%

** yeah I want Phoenix in Smash. I've already stated this many times but I'll say it again: I LOVE Ace Attorney. They are some of my favorite games and they have my favorite soundtracks of any entertainment medium. I adore the cast of characters, the humor is on point, the writing is top notch and Sakurai could come up with a bat** crazy moveset similar to UMvC3. This would be an absolute dream come true.

Okami from Okami........just kidding I wanted to see if anyone cringed from that (Not that I would be able to tell since I'm not omnipresent)

Chance: 13%

Amaterasu does benefit from some of the same points as Phoenix, such as having her competition die off and being a good fit as the last character. But unfortunately she is not quite in Phoenix's position. While her game is on the Switch there has not been anything since then and her future is uncertain. I do think she is better off than some of the other Capcom candidates like Viewtiful Joe, Morrigan, or Frank West but that's not saying much. Overall, a viable darkhorse pick but I'm leaning towards Phoenix being chosen if Capcom is approached for a character.

Want: 75%

This just reminded me that I got Okami while it was $10 on the eshop and it has been sitting on the main menu waiting to be played. I'll definitely have to play it sometime because, and this is why I'm confident in giving this score, this game is a bonafide classic. I've heard nothing but praise for the game. I've seen gameplay and yeah it looks great with the artstyle and combat. So while Amaterasu is not one of my preferred picks for Capcom she would be an interesting choice for sure due to her unique character design and the moveset potential.

Predictions
Arle - 35%
Phantasy Star - 11%

Noms: Pyramid Head x20

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Crash and burn
Chance: sadness
I'm doubtful that Crash (or any character people actually want) will be FP11, but I'm too much of a coward to actually give a chance rating.
I was one of the people who gave Crash a 100% want back in the Sm4sh RTC thread, and my opinion has not changed since then. Crash deserves to be in Smash.

Mr. Chef
Chance: 0%
Chief's chances died the second Steve was revealed.
"But what about Vergeben?"
He was lied to, simple as that.
Master Chief definitely should be in by now, but he isn't. We got Funny Block Man instead. Maybe if we're lucky, he'll show up in Smash 6.
Want: 99%
I think Halo is a pretty cool guy. He kills aliens and doesn't afraid of anything.

Wright prediction: 25%
Okami prediction: 5%
Noms: DJ Octavio x however many I earned

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
Phoenix Wright

To put it bluntly, Phoenix is in the best spot he's ever been in: his biggest competitors are largely out of the running, leaving really just Amaterasu as his competition, leaving Phoenix as the clear frontrunner for Capcom. Even putting those aside he has a lot of things going for him: his franchise is still very active, including new localization coming out soon, and he's arguably one of the most requested characters since Smash 4.

The only thing I see going against him is Capcom just not prioritizing Ace Attorney in Smash over a larger franchise, like MH, RE or DMC, and even then that hasn't stopped other characters (looking at you Banjo). I'm only giving him 30% as to not be over confident in a character getting in (50%'s probably the most I'd give for any character about now)

Want: 75%
I have no history with Ace Attorney as a franchise, but I'd still take him for the great music, moveset potential, and the memes. Oh boy the memes.

Amaterasu

Chance: 15%

It really feels weird to say that Amaterasu is the 2nd likeliest Capcom fighter left right now, but that's purely from process of elimination. She shares a couple traits with Phoenix imo (smaller franchise, high fan demand, brings something new to the table), and with how unique Amaterasu would be visually and mechanically, I wouldn't be surprised if she'd be a "Sakurai Pick."

That being said however, being a Sakurai Pick is the only realizable justification I can see for Ammy getting in, and that's assuming Nintendo and Capcom play ball. Okami as a franchise is fairly dormant and has an uncertain future, and I'm not sure Capcom or Nintendo would prioritize her over bigger names that would sell more units.

If my want score could go over 100% it easily would. Okami is hands down my favorite game of all time, and is a work of art unlike anything I've ever played, and would bring so much stuff to Smash. Amaterasu is easily my most wanted character period.

Unique moveset in the form of the Celestial Brush, Divine Instruments, and maybe even Godhood. Beautiful sumi-e artstyle that hasn't been seen in Smash, and a godlike (get it?) soundtrack. Trust me when I say I'd lose my collective s*** if she got in.

Predictions:
Arle: 40%
Phantasy Star man: 10%

Noms:
[Rerate] Dr. Eggman Xhowever many I earned I have no clue lol

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Phoenix Wright

Chance: 40% -
Phoenix is honestly in the best position he's ever been in. All of his competition has been killed off and Capcom is due to get a character. Furthermore, it's the franchise's 20th anniversary, and the Great Ace Attorney has been getting a lot of promotion from Capcom. Combine that with tons of support on the Smash Ballot (which has effected Ultimate newcomers) along with Phoenix's status as a smaller yet potent third party that'd benefit from Smash inclusion and you've got a great shot on your hands! There are also several other major reasons why the path has been paved for Phoenix.

1. Kazuya means that Capcom's Miis aren't an obstacle anymore, plus Capcom likes to spread their costumes around anyways. We could very well get more Capcom costumes alongside a new Capcom character, in fact we just got a new Capcom costume (Dante) alongside Kazuya shows that Capcom is still very much involved with Smash.

2. All of Phoenix's big competition is dead, and with our final character likely being a smaller character, all of our big doorbuster Capcom characters that would've been obstacles to Phoenix would've more than likely been E3 reveals. Every major character we've gotten throughout Ultimate's DLC has been revealed at a major event:

- Joker (The Game Awards)
- Hero (E3)
- Banjo-Kazooie (E3)
- Steve (standalone presentation paired alongside Minecon, speculated to have been the planned E3 2020 reveal)
- Sephiroth (The Game Awards)
- Kazuya (E3)

Meanwhile, smaller, often Nintendo-focused characters (Terry, Min Min, Byleth, Pyra/Mythra) were revealed in Nintendo Directs and other Nintendo-focused presentations. Most of Phoenix's fanbase is made up of Nintendo fans, and they know that Phoenix's fans would be watching during a Nintendo direct.

Mega Man likely isn't getting more content. A lot of people cite Chun-Li as major competition, but I don't see her happening. She would've been an E3 reveal considering how big she is, and given we have two fighting game characters in this pass (one of which was just revealed) I don't immediately see us getting another. Let along another female Chinese-themed fighting game character known for her kicking abilities. :ultminmin Sounds a bit arbitrary, but it'd be a little weird if the last two characters were big fighting game characters but weren't revealed together. Sakurai also mentioned that the final character will take awhile, which implies that they are complex. This fits Phoenix perfectly, but not Chunners. The porting of Street Fighter's gameplay style over to Smash is already a thing thanks to Ryu, so with him, combined with Min Min, a lot of work on Chun-Li would've already been done. Granted, we could get a Game Awards reveal, but I'm not banking on it, Chunners is out. Meanwhile Monster Hunter and Dante, big Capcom characters previously poised for good positions, are Mii Costumes, and early 2019 speculation darling Resident Evil has long rotted via a spirit event.

3. A common theory was that companies that got characters in the first pass would be the only ones to get them in the second pass. Kazuya, being from Namco, killed that theory, and Namco was dragging their feet on another character, so I can see Capcom pulling the same thing!

Honestly, there are no major obstacles standing in Phoenix's way at this point, and with the final character slot being perfect for a character with his circumstances, he's made a MONSTER of a turnabout!

Want: 100% - Yes please! Phoenix is one of the best characters you could add to Smash! His moveset would be incredibly unique and hilarious, he's had fan demand spanning back to Smash 4 and possibly even Brawl, and he's not just got Nintendo representation, but is a Nintendo MAINSTAY. My friend got me into Ace Attorney last year, and between the games and the anime I've had an absolute blast! Phoenix and his buddies are such lovable characters (sans Franny's abuse) the cases have been a blast to solve, and the universe is super fleshed out! Honestly, I see no downsides to Phoenix's inclusion!

Amaterasu

Chance: 10% -
A rising tide raises all boats, as many would say. This perfectly sums up Amaterasu's situation! A lot of what benefits Phoenix benefits her as well, with the one issue being, well...Phoenix! Granted, this pass has been unpreditable so we've seen our fair share of underdog (underwolf?) victories, but just because it can happen doesn't mean it will. I've also heard mixed reports on the status of her series. It seems to be long dormant, but I've heard from a few people that they're planning to do more with Okami? I'll need some confirmation. ^^; Anyway, there's also been a glitch with Cloud discovered recently where his move PNGs get stuck on screen. This could be attributed to Phoenix's speech bubbles but also Okami's calligraphy mechanic, which would no doubt take center stage as Amaterasu's main gimmick. So while Phoenix is by far the Capcom frontrunner, the wolf of the sun still has a solid shot herself.

Want: 50% - Amaterasu would be a cool addition! She'd bring with her a very atmospheric stage, a unique artstyle, and most importantly a unique playstyle! I've never played the game myself but I'd love to see how the game's calligraphy mechanic translates to a moveset! Furthermore, we'll have out second ever quadrupedal fighter alongside Ivysaur! And that Nintendo representation is a big plus as well! Not much else to say in this regard, pretty simple and sweet! While I'd vastly prefer Phoenix as the next Capcom rep, I certainly wouldn't complain if Amaterasu got in!

Nominations:
[Rerate] Louie xAll

Predictions:
Arle - 29.44% - Minus much of her series being unlocalized, she sits in a very similar spot to Phoenix, as she's a smaller third party and SEGA too is due for another rep.
Phantasy Star Rep - 21.30% - Smaller third party in a similar situation to Arle, but being a realistic-proportions anime-esque franchise I expect a lot of confident scores. Still, overall this concept remains a dark horse.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A dumb ordinary white wolf who happens to be a lesbian

Chance: 1% Okami is a critically acclaimed Zelda like game with focus on Japanese mythology, having done well enough to get a sequel and even a HD remaster which sold surprisingly well considering how niche the original was. Ammy's also a very popular character in her own right, with fans adoring her inclusion in MvC and being very upset at her removal, Ammy has all the points in her favour except one though, fan demand, she's always been on the low end when it comes to Capcom characters, being overshadowed by much more popular choices to the point she's only really seen as a frontrunner for Capcom speculation now due to most of her competition being dead.

Want: 100% I'm guilty of overlooking Ammy of other characters but she'd be fantastic too, Okami's great and I really liked Okamiden which my grandpa got me one day, the games have potential for one of the best looking stages and it isn't hard to imagine Ammy being super fun, though I imagine she'll take the MvC route in terms of special moves instead of having to draw brush techniques. I just really enjoy Capcom characters so while I would prefer a lot of others, that doesn't change how she'd be a godlike addition.

When I started this writeup it was the third of July, also known as Narumitsu Day in Japan

Chance: 10% The good lad Nick has a unique advantage compared to most Capcom characters and it's that he's gotten consistent fan demand, after Mega Man, I think it's safe to say he was the most popular Capcom character and until people realized Dante was a real possibility, the same applied to Ultimate. Like Ammy, most of his competition is now dead and unlike Ammy, Nick has a definitive future with GAA coming soon and AA7 being in the works according to the Capcom leaks. I could imagine Sakurai being unwilling to make him a fighter but Capcom has let him beat people up in crossovers before, twice. Though there is a unique problem for Nick, GAA. There's a new Ace Attorney game on the horizon, so he could give it a little push... Or get a Spirit event, and though it's a spinoff, I don't see Sakurai wanting to brush an important part of Ace Attorney history under the rug, so it's all or nothing

Want: 100% Some people may remember me mentioning having gone through the entire series out of anticipation for GAA back when we rated Edgeworth so it's pretty obvious this series means a lot to me, but Nick in Smash would be so crazy, I've gotten multiple friends into the series so we'd all be excited together, Nick's one of the most hype characters to watch in MvC due to his moveset and gameplay perfectly adapting AA's gameplay loop with you needing to get evidence and finding an opening before going absolute ape**** on your opponent and I want to see how Sakurai would go about this, would he try something else or would he be forced to admit it's way too good to leave out? I also want some sequel trilogy content as I love Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies, like, give me an Athena palette, give me a taunt where Nick opens his locket and smiles, give me Guilty Love and Mood Matrix as songs, I can go on and on but at some point I need to stop

Split between Soma and Junpei

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
Phoenix Wright - For someone who's been my Most Wanted since we got Banjo and Kazooie, I don't think his chances are particularly high. With Nintendo themselves being the ones picking the roster, I would find it weird they're prioritize Phoenix over Dante or a Resident Evil character.

There's also the matter of the moveset. As happy as I was to see Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, I felt his moveset was way too 'gimmicky' to be fun. While I feel Phoenix would be more at home in a wacky game like Smash, and Sakurai could probably do him more justice (no pun intended) I'm still not entirely sure what he would do a unique moveset for him, let alone one that's fun.

Amatarasu - She's in the same boat as Phoenix as far as someone Nintendo would pick, though I admit she at least has a lot more potential to have a good moveset based around her.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Phoenix Wright

Chance: 20%. With Dante’s out of the running, Phoenix’s chance has risen quite a bit and he is one of the most likely Capcom reps now. Of course he could be a Mii Costume and or spirit, but as the impossible happens, you never know who joins the fight next.

Want: 55%. He would be fun to play as, and I can see him face multiple villains, in the courtroom stage. Overall, Phoenix would make a decent Smash fighter, and if there is no objections, even more.

Amaterasu

Chance: 10%. It’s rather surprising, she is now more likely then Jill and Leon, Monster Hunter, Arthur and now Dante, did not see that coming. Her chance is quite high in comparision to some Capcom fighters, and while she might get a spirit, her appearance will be surprising.

Want: 50%. She would be fun to play as, and I can see her team up with Lucario in a match. Overall, she would make a decent Smash Bros rep.

Prediction: Arle (15%) and Phantasy Star Rep (10%)

Noms: 5 for Boss: Rayquaza

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Phoenix Wright

25% Chance

This would be higher if I was not so bullish on Capcom. But Wright honestly is the exact kind of character that I think makes sense for last: someone smaller.

Now, I am personally bullish on Capcom after they blew their load with Miis with Pythra and now Dante with Kazuya. While Miis are not the death knell we all assumed due to Heihachi, I would not say they are a great sign still. This combined with the Resi Spirit event makes me a little skeptical of Capcom as a whole.

That being said, Wright has everything going for him right now. Timing wise, GAA coming to the switch and getting pushed a bit means you could count him as a shill rep. Wright has been a solid fan favorite for a while. While I would not say Wright is an S Tier request, Wright is certainly a very popular smash request. In fact, his popularity right now is a boon in my eyes, especially since he did not get a Mii costume alongside his fallen capcom brother Dante. Combine that with a solid Nintendo legacy and you have a decent pick in my eyes.

The only reason I am not outright betting on Wright is just that I am bullish on Capcom. I personally think I would say Wright is easily one of my top bets for CP11.

100% Want
I mean, AA honestly is a great series. I know so many people it would make happy if Wright was in Smash. Honestly, Wright to me embodies the DS era, and I got me some DS nostalgia. I have been collecting DS games and I can say for sure that Wright getting in would make me super happy. AA has an awesome soundtrack that I would love to see implemented in Smash. Remixes of Objection, Pursuit: Cornered, Pursuit: Caught and more, its tantalizing. Honestly a pick I would be stoked for.

Amaterasu

10% Chance

Lowkey, this is a sleeper pick. Capcom competition has kind of been massacred. I doubt we will get a third fighting game rep after Kazuya and Min Min, so Chun Li is dead. Monster Hunter, Arthur, and Dante all were mii costumed. Resident Evil got a spirit event. The capcom field just has been bled dry to such a point that Ammy has almost no competition.

Well, almost. Phoenix is the capcom frontrunner now, and needless to say his case is stronger than Ammy's his series has a stronger legacy, he is a more popular pick, and his series is more active. That is not putting Ammy down. Okami HD did come to the switch, she is reasonably popular since Okami is a critically acclaimed game, and she does have some bits and pieces of a solid legacy. But compared to Wright, the doggo just is not in nearly as strong of a spot. If her demand was as high as Wright, who has had consistent demand since Sm4sh, I would probably have bumped her up 5%.

100% Want

Okami is the best 3D Zelda. This is one of my most controversial opinions, but I legit think that Okami is a better 3D Zelda than any 3D Zelda. It is a masterpiece of design except for fighting Orochi three times. The world design, the colors, the combat, its all so good. Amaterasu in Smash also would just be such a fun pick. We have had so many humanoid characters, and Ammy certainly is not. I could go on, but this is just one of those ideas that I would gush all about for a while.

Kiryu x 125

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Marvel versus Capcom 3: Fate of two characters

Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney

Chance: 6%

Trough many disconfirmations of most of Capcom's big characters/series (Resident Evil spirit even post-launch, Monster Hunter Miis, featuring Dante from the Dante series as a mii), Phoenix Wright is Capcom's biggest character from a new series that would make sense in Smash (note how I say from a new series, since while Chun-Li isn't out of the running, Street FIghter is already in Smash). And honestly, he does make a lot of sense for Smash, with his big popularity among fans, anime, many games with all of them being on Nintendo systems, The Great Ace Attorney series finally getting an internationnal release and with how it would seem thart Capcom wants to continue with the series with an eventual Ace Attorney 7, and also a lot of long lasting fan demand, Phoenix Wright has a lot going his way now that so many other Capcom characters are out. And yeah, I could totaly see Nick get in, especialy with how he would be more low-key despite his popularity, at least compared to the likes of Jill Valentine, a Monster Hunter, Dante, or Chun-Li. Talking about her, I see Chun-Li as really unlikely despite how she would be very cool, so that's also a point for him. Now, the Capcom miis. At this point, I think that we can rule out the miis disconfirming a company on top of series, which I think is more relevant since there's not really another series where I think that it could be a case like Heihachi and Kazuya, since we know that the latest mii waves are for fan-service, or at least we can do this for the most recent mii wave, which really is just good for Capcom since Wayforward only has Shantae, Bethesda got Doomslayer disconfirmed trough interview, and Bandai Namco just got Kazuya. So yeah, all around, it just really makes a lot of sense for Phoenix Wright.

Ace Attorney is one of my favorite series, and while I don't like it as much as DMC or some of the other series in top of most wanted, my love of AA is also more personnal, since I think that the games made me subconsicouly strive for a better justcie than the one in our current society, despite not being an awesome or op hero, and that really moved me since there's many cases of laws being told as justice that I really dislike. But otherwise, I love AA for many other reasons too, especialy for the writing, characters, and great court phases. I just like the series a lot, both as a piece of fiction to entertain me, but that also moved me personally. More than that, Phoenix Wright could have an incredible Smash moveset, and it wouldn't even need to be copy-pasted from MvC3. Also the music would be very good. And the Court Room as a stage would be so incredible. And if he ends up as a veteran in a future Smahs, who knows, we could maybe even have an Edgeworth echo, which would just be incredible too. But yeah, Phoenix Wright is indeed one of my most wanted.

Amaterasu, the good girl goddess of the sun

Chance: 3.5%

From Okami, Amaterasu, and before actualy talking about her chances, a bit of a side note. Amaterasu's true origin is Shinto mythology since Okami clearly resents Ammy as the goddess fom the myths at base value (though she of course goes on a brand new adventure that the original character of Amaterasu did not go on from my knowledge), and while some would take it as something that goes against her, Pit, Palutena, and to an extant Dracula show pretty clearly that even if you take very heavy inspiration from a mythological/classical book character, than it's ultimately not a straight out (I felt I needed to say this since it was also nneded to be said when Hades was being rated a while back, despite being very different from how Hades is portrayed in greek religion). Now with that being said, Amaterasu is similar to Phoenix Wright in the way that she's one of the bigger Capcom character from new series left after Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, and Dante got nuked. Something to note is that fan demand for Amaterasu has been present for quite a while, and while it's not as notable as the fan-demand there wwas for Phoenix Wright, it's still important to point out. Something else to point out is that while Okami wasn't that popular originally, it grew to be so, thanks to not only reviews for this game being excellent, but also more recently, Okami HD sold very well, especialy on Switch. Now, those reports of Okami HD working well on Switch are too recent for them to matter regarding Amaterasu in Smash from the quick search I made, though I do feel it's important to say it. In the end, I can see Amaterasu happen, though I also feel that Phoenix Wright would be picked over her, though both would work very well for the final character of the pass.

Want: 90%

Amaterasu, in Okami, is a wolf, and I really like both canines and felines alike, so having Amaterasu in Smash would first of all be awesome because it's a wolf, a very cute one at that, but on top of this, Okami is a marvelous game, with great combat, great explaration, a fantastic art direction, and an amazing soundtrack, so yeah, it would be great to have Amaterasu as a Smash fighter, and so to have Okami be given sizable representation since Okami is great. On top of all that, Amaterasu use many cool weapons that would give her a great moveset that would make her very fun to play, so there would really only be pluses to Amaterasu joining Smash.

Little bonus: I think that the overall chances of a Capcom character being in the pass are of around 10%, with it mainly being between Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu, with the rest being holden by Chun-Li.

Nominations:

Virtuals idols like Miku times allI got from this

Predictions:

Arle: 9.6%

Phantasy Star: 6.7%

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i used these two a lot in UMVC3

one of the two greatest pointers in gaming
chances: hmm my instinct is that if the last character is a 3rd party it would be someone on nick's level. so im gonna go with 50%. i can believe that nintendo would at some point suggest an AA character and i would hope sakurais selective creativity would lead him to come up with something. it could happen but i dont think its a certainty.

want: 100% i love these games. catchy music and great characters it would make a great pack. nick would have such a cool moveset and would be one of those wacky ones i love. a stage set in the courtroom would stand out, although im not sure many of the other areas would be good stage material. overall a great choice.

sun, sand and suffering on the most totally evil planet in the galaxy

sorry wrong thing
chances: 30% okami is a cult classic that is still held in high regard which makes me feel she is less likely. as i mentioned i think is gonna be a character of a more middle ground level. being a cult classic i think would have given her an edge normally but that edge is what make me think shes less likely. i know that doesnt make a lot of sense but sakurais selection problem makes even less sense.

want: 0% what interest i had in okami fizzled out a long time ago. one of those things where people going on about how good it was eventually put me off it. i wouldnt be annoyed or upset by her inclusion just underwhelmed. though im sure her move set would be cool.

all noms to spirit events continue after pass

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
OBJECTION! I object! That was... objectionable!

But for real, though, I'm double abstaining here. I just wanted to throw that quote out because Phoenix Wright-style courtroom antics are always a blast.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Phoenix Wright

Chance: 50%

Phoenix has long been a popular request and is often seen as an honorable Nintendo character. For all the Capcom franchises currently represented in Smash, the absence of anything Ace Attorney related is very suspicious to me. Most of his competition has been taken out as well, whether with Mii Costumes like Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry, or with Spirit Events like Resident Evil.

Ace Attorney is one of my favorite series of all time and I think Nick would fit great among the cast. I would be beyond overjoyed to see my favorite lawyer in Smash after all these years of growing up with him on my DS, 3DS, and Switch.

Amaterasu

Chance 35%

Okami isn't one of the biggest franchises of Capcom but it's still respectably sized and has a sizable fanbase for its inclusion. The series has also done moderately well in recent years.

While not at the top of my list, Okami is still a beautiful game and would fit fine in Smash. I'd be perfectly OK with her inclusion.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Poker Face

I'll echo the common sentiment that his odds look better than ever. Capcom is defiantly proven not disconfirmed with a Bandai Namco rep coming after a barrage of their Mii Costumes. Dante, long regarded (incorrectly?) as the frontrunner for the company, was unceremoniously disconfirmed. Chun-Li, basically the only other big Capcom character left standing, seems unlikely to come right after a traditional fighting game character and in the same pass as Min Min who was very clearly patterned after her. Phoenix being from a visual novel franchise makes him niche enough to justify skipping big events. But at the same time, his longstanding fan demand and popularity with Nintendo fans, that dwarfs his competition, makes him a logical choice to reveal in a Nintendo Direct, Smash Direct, or standalone presentation, since the audience that likes him will be there no matter what. Add to that the upcoming release of The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, a collection that's had a wave of marketing from both Capcom and Nintendo, a great sign of support that even gives him shill potential. Really, the only reason not to expect Phoenix as FP11 is because he'd be too good a choice.

However to play Devil's Advocate, we could very well see the franchise Spirited soon thanks to the new release. And despite Capcom always being the company with the most popular candidates, they've weirdly come away empty-handed for all of Ultimate, with only an Echo Fighter to show. Still, with how close Nintendo and Ace Attorney have been historically, I think the odds are close to zero that Ultimate support ends without any kind of representation for our spiky-haired lawyer, when every other Capcom franchise is in. At worst I'd expect a Mii Brawler for him.

Lycanroc Sun Form

Chance: 1%

It says a lot about how few Capcom reps are still in play that we're considering Ammy. Okami infamously sold poorly, but clearly Capcom saw something there because they ported the **** out of it. Thankfully its Wii port was so good that it helped spawn Okamiden. I hear that its current-gen port sold pretty well too. This has spawned countless rumors of a true Okami 2, and even the people involved (like Hideki Kamiya) want to make the sequel. Unfortunately, all that has amounted to nothing as there are no plans to make an Okami 2. We know Capcom's release slate past 2024 and there's no Okami title in the horizon. Barring the possibility that it's one of the three codenamed games, it's not looking good, but even if, it'd all happen too late for a promotional push. Amaterasu (and Viewtiful Joe for that matter) has a grassroots support base dating back to the Brawl era that's still very much alive. However it's still not enough to surpass the lawyer. When you take into account the other series' impact, iconicness, relevance, I don't see a path for Ammy.

Noms: half to Octoling half to Tetra
Arle prediction: 17.93%
PS prediction: 10.42% (and everyone forgets about Alis)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Octoling x428
[Rerate] Louie x375
Mii Costume: 2B x370
Pyramid Head x315
Meat Boy x305
Junpei (Zero Escape) x295
Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x270

300 - 251

Concept: Virtual idols like Hatsune Miku x260

250 - 201

Corvo Attano x250
Senator Armstrong x245
Tetra x230
Gunvolt x220

200 - 151

Ori x195
Stage: Bowser's Castle x192
Sackboy x185
[Rerate] Tails x185
Kaede Akamatsu x180
Ratchet & Clank x180
Boss: Rayquaza x175

150 - 101

Echo (Bowser) x143
Mii Costume: Monika x135
Boss: Ender Dragon x133
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x128
Stage: Tetris x120
D.Va x115
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x115
Fulgore x112
[Rerate] Gene x110

100 - 51

Concept: Crazy Taxi character x100
Giygas x90
Legends Trainer x90
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75

Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x75
Echo (Olimar) x66
Magolor x65

[Rerate] Zhao Yun x65
Soma Cruz x65
Ghirahim x60
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Jin Sakai
x55

50 - 25

[Rerate] Agumon x50

Plague Knight x50
Springtrap x50
[Rerate] Eggman x41
Mii Costume: Zagreus x40
E.M.M.I. x40
Concept: Spirit Events continue after the Fighter Pass x35
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Captain Charlie (Pikmin) x30
Joe Random (MLB: The Show) x30
Concept: Next game is not a reboot x30
[Rerate] Sora x29
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20

Concept: Bonus Fighter x20
Donbe and Hikari x20
Off The Hook x20
Lugia x20
[Rerate] Earthworm Jim x16
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15

Echo: Ms. Pac-Man x15
[Rerate] Ezio Auditore da Firenze x15
Concept: Bonus Stages to fill out the stage select screen x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
Jesse Faden x10
Infernape x10
[Rerate] Gex x10
[Rerate] Concept: Echo Fighters Pass x10
[Rerate] Q*Bert x10
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x10

Omori x10
[Rerate] Brian x7
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
Siris (Infinity Blade) x5

Concept: Tsukihime rep x5
Concept: Challenger Pack with more than 15 spirits x5
DJ Octavio x5
Firebrand x1

Pyramid Head butchers Meat Boy and ends the day in fourth place.

Concept: Virtual idols like Hatsune Miku dances past 250 noms.

Stage: Tetris and Bandana Dee make it past 100 noms.

Concept: Next game is not a reboot escapes the under 25 club.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's Wednesday, and you know what that means...

Calcs!

Kazuya satisfaction
81.05%
Sephiroth 91.53%
Stage Builder 85.25%
Terry 84.39%
Mementos 83.54%
Banjo-Kazooie 83.09%
Min Min 82.29%
Kazuya
Joker 79.75%
Fighter Pass (Vol. 1) 75.18%
World of Light 74.93%
Ken 72.48%
Pyra/Mythra 69.55%
Steve 69.35%
Hero 68.57%
Byleth 58.34%
Piranha Plant 56.60%
Incineroar 51.12%
Spirits 46.67%

Reimu Hakurei
17.05% Chance - 62.27% Want
I. 18.14% - 53.85%
II. 33.34% - 54.29%
III. 24.98% - 60.05%
IV. 24.17% - 63.27%
V. 19.28% - 67.33%
The winner of predictions was BlueEyedGrimmbat BlueEyedGrimmbat with 17.50%

11.91% Chance - 61.36% Want
I. 8.54% - 52.92%
II. 15.36% - 63.83%
III. 13.50% - 53.26%
IV. 9.68% - 60.06%

The Knight
10.09% Chance - 48.18% Want
I. 5.87% - 41.67%
II. 9.09% - 37.32%
III. 4.62% - 50.12%
IV. 10.00% - 59.38%

No extra noms given for Quote and the Knight because it looks like in the excitement of Kazuya's presentation you guys forgot to predict them!

Master Chief
8.37% Chance - 73.00% Want
I. 4.33% - 31.17%
II. 18.27% - 60.94%
III. 19.18% - 66.22%
IV. 14.59% - 65.32%
Chief's chance had one outstanding score of 50% (compare to a second highest of 20%), without which his score would be 5.39%
The winner of predictions was Ridrool64 Ridrool64 with 8.73%
With this personal best in want, Master Chief manages to become the fifth most wanted third party. Guess absence does make the heart grow fonder.

Crash
12.53% Chance - 82.14% Want
I. 27.36% - 57.50%
II. 51.80% - 77.95%
III. 49.21% - 70.49%
IV. 59.26% - 75.78%
V. 51.17% - 73.08%
VI. 51.43% - 83.65%
Crash also saw one chance rating of 50% that somewhat skewed his score (curiously, it was from a different individual than the Chief's). Remove that and Crash's score becomes 9.86%
The winner of predictions was waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi with 13.86%
Crash relinquishes his place as most likely fighter to Kazuma Kiryu and his place as most wanted to Phoenix (though the marsupial holds on to second place).

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Phoenix Wright

After everything that unfolded in this year alone, Nick is the clear Capcom frontrunner now. Monster Hunter got costume'd/spirited, Dante got costumed, and Chun-Li probably won't happen since I doubt we'd get two traditional fighting characters in the same pass (let alone back-to-back). It would also seem that company costumes don't mean much since we got a Heihachi costume followed by Kazuya. Oh and the Ace Attorney series is still going strong with the Great Ace Attorney ports getting a ton of coverage from Nintendo and Capcom. Things are looking up for Nick right now.

The Ace Attorney games are amazing. They all are challenging and each have a really great story. With how strongly tied to Nintendo the series is, Ace Attorney is long overdue to appear in Smash.

Phoenix Wright is easily my most wanted Capcom character. He's one of those characters like Layton or Banjo that you would forget is even third party based on how well they would fit in with the other characters. With how faithful to the series these DLC characters have been, I can see Sakurai going all out and making Nick an incredibly unique fighter using the various detective/lawyer aspects of the series.

-----

Abstaining on Amaterasu

-----

Arle Nadja chance prediction: 25.00%
Phantasy Star chance prediction: 5.00%

Nominations:
Mii Costume: 2B x10

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Phoenix Wright

Chance: 100%

You have to believe 100 % in your client and that's exactly what I'm doing. The fate is settled, Nick is going to be in Smash Bros., there is no doubt about it! There is no way Capcom franchises like Mega Man, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry and Ghost n' Goblins are represented in Smash but Ace Attorney out of all game series isn't – every game was released on Nintendo consoles, most (if not all?) of them exclusively at the time of the release. There is a lot of fan demand, the music fits perfectly to Smash, the court room is an awesome stage and the moveset could be unique and funny. Furthermore it's Ace Attorney's 20th Anniversary and apart from TGAAC also AA7 might get announced soon. Phoenix will be in Smash and I'm looking forward to him pulling his crucial turnabout and fighting his way into Smash.

I love Ace Attorney more than almost anything else and this inclusion will make me and many of my friends so happy. Hopefully Phoenix' inclusion will help Ace Attorney to gain more popularity and to get more people into the series.

Amaterasu

Chance 0%

Since I gave Phoenix 100 %, Amaterasu unfortunately won't stand a chance, there is only one spot left.

Want: 80%

I like Okami, I think she's a unique character, the artstyle is gorgeous and I especially love Okami music – this game has so much great music that I really want to see in Smash.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yakuza guy. Should be taken off the list imo because of the interview comments but that’s a whole other can of worms.
And he's who's currently ranked the highest? Weird.

Although at this point I don't really consider any one character more likely than next, sorta anyway. It's more the franchise than the character.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
And he's who's currently ranked the highest? Weird.

Although at this point I don't really consider any one character more likely than next, sorta anyway. It's more the franchise than the character.
Well we haven’t rated him in well over a year. Things change a lot. If we related him I would expect him to drop like a rock.

I’d nominate him if we don’t decide to move him to the deconfirmed list.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
When the Yakuza interviews happened I asked whether I should label Kiryu as disconfirmed and there was a lot of pushback, whereas there wasn't with the likes of Hayabusa. I do get the point that Kiryu just has a generic statement regarding him fighting women whereas Hayabusa's is much more explicit.

Regardless if it's a sticking point I can change his status, although the runner-up has also had a complicated history with interviews...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Phoenix Wright
Chance:
7%
While my hopes are higher with the addition of Kazuya proving Mii costumes aren't an automatic deconfirm, I admit there's a part of me that just can't see Capcom in this pass. I want to be wrong because Capcom is my favorite gaming company in terms of icons but there is one slot and hundreds of characters that could fill it. Getting over that barrier, Phoenix has a real shot as he's the last major fan-favorite (in Smash terms) Capcom character not already in...I'm surprised he isn't a Mii costume yet in fact. Maybe they're saving it, or saving him, for last, but who knows...

At this point he is my most-wanted left in the running and if it wasn't for Travis he'd be my most-wanted period. I've come to realize that the Ace Attorney series is hands-down my favorite videogame series. It's a brilliant, funny, intriguing, and lore-rich world with amazing localizations, fantastic stories, and nine excellent games (and one I'm not so fond of but still has plusses). I can't wait to play DGS when it drops - going into a new AA experience completely blind is going to be wonderful.

Amaterasu
Chance:
3%
Ammy...not only do you have the aforementioned Capcom hurdle to cross, you also have unfortunately the barrier of Okami being a beloved but ultimately niche title, not even an expansive series. It's a shame...but it is how it is.

Again, Capcom is my favorite company. If I had one wish to close out the pass after getting Tekken, KOF, Persona, and even Sephiroth, it'd be for a Capcom character. Any Capcom character would be a cherry on top of a DLC cycle I've loved. And Okami is such a BEAUTIFUL game, with absolutely wonderful music. I've mentioned this story over and over but when attending Tommy Tallarico's Video Games Live orchestral concert they played a wonderful Okami music medley that moved me to tears and I immediately went home and purchased it for the Switch. It's a masterful piece of art on every level, visually, musically, and from a gameplay perspective. A real delight through and through. Plus, Ammy would be so fun! She's a wolf goddess who attacks with painted brush strokes! How cool!

Nominations: Corvo xMax

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Amaterasu
Chance: 7%
I hadn't really thought she could actually happen, but now that she and Phoenix are the only Capcom characters left, I can dare to hope. A shame there's only 1 character to go.

Want: 1000%
Amaterasu is my most wanted character, period. It's such a unique game, with great designs, beautiful music, and all the potential for a moveset you could ask for.
This isn't even nostalgia talking, I played Ōkami for the first time a couple years ago.

Phoenix Wright
Chance: 25%
I would say Phoenix is probably the most likely character that's still standing. He has ties to Nintendo and is decently well requested. With a localization(remaster?) of TGAAC around the corner, his series is in the spotlight and ripe for promotion.

Want: 70%
Since the last rating, I still haven't continued his games. Don't get me wrong, they're really fun, I just have an endless backlog I've finally gotten the motivation to start clearing.
As I mentioned in my last rating, I'm iffy on his moveset, worried that they'll just steal the homework from MvC3. But I've realized that is silly of me, and so I've bumped his rating up a bit.

Predictions
Arle Nadja: 12.1%%
Phantasy Star: 3.8%

Nominations
Ratchet & Clank x10

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Phoenix Wright:

Many of Nick's biggest competitors in the Capcom sphere have seemingly been deconfirmed. It's hard to tell after Kazuya if something like Resident Evil is really out of the running but Dante is for sure. The Great Ace Attorney is coming out soon and there might even be an AA7 announcement later this year potentially. All of this combined with his long Nintendo history and I would say Phoenix might be one of the most likely characters currently. Many subscribe to the idea that if it's not MH, RE, or DMC then it's no one from Capcom, but I think the past has shown that this way of thinking can lead you astray easily. The biggest thing against Nick right now is there is only one slot left and a large amount of possibilities of who it could be. (That's what is against every character though) Also an AA spirit event to promote TGAA could end up being his death knell.

Phoenix is my most wanted still in the running. Lloyd was recently deconfirmed and I am really not feeling good about Sora's chances so Phoenix would be the best ending ever to Pass 2 for me personally.

Amaterasu
Chance: 10%

Like many others have said, Ammy also benefits from the current deconfirmation land that is Capcom. The problem is the series is dormant when compared to AA, but I could still see Ammy picked for other reasons.

Okami is one of those games that I've been meaning to play since it came out. I recently bought it on my Switch so hopefully I fix that soon. I think the character is great and could have a very interesting moveset. The stage would be beautiful and more animal/quadrupedal characters would add a nice variety to the game.

Last edited:

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
I’m gonna abstain. While I’ve played some of the Phoenix Wright games, I don’t really have any points that haven’t already been made. I’d really love to have him in Smash though. I barely know anything about the other character though.
Noms: Concept: Crazy Taxi Rep xMAX

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
It's the Wright time to support him.

Chance: 25%. I feel like people are a bit gung-ho about Kazuya's implications for Phoenix's chances: I agree they're a net boon but to say that the Capcom Miis aren't an issue at all anymore I feel is hasty. Consider that Kazuya's from the same series as Heihachi, and that not many people counted Bamco out since there was still no new Mii Costumes from them (and there still aren't. All of them are Smash 4 ports.). Meanwhile Capcom has gotten 2 brand new Mii Costumes and from different series at that, which puts us at an odd crossroads.

Is Phoenix too big to not be at E3? I wouldn't say so. The franchise is bigger than people give it credit for, especially online where hearing of people who don't know what OBJECTION! is, is just unreasonable. But it isn't a Mario or Madden when it comes to game sales nor is it a Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy when it comes to influencing the trajectory of gaming. I don't feel like this is another case of a character who got Kazuya'd.

I think his biggest weaknesses are that he could be Spirited at any time, and that he honestly feels too hype. While he wouldn't be the E3 reveal necessarily, I feel like Wright is popular enough that he probably would've been in by now. Again, it's not as bad as Crash or Chief where they'd be blowing a massive chance at selling papers but... I dunno. I think I just don't see it. Overall I think he has a chance and is Capcom's frontrunner but I feel like the question of whether Capcom is getting a character at all...? That's the big one. Positives speak for themselves at this point, but I'll say it anyway he's widely requested and very relevant.

Want: If I wanted to be an asshole and put 0% simply to tank his score I would but that would be dishonest of me. It's more like a 35%. I feel like a copypaste of what MvC3 did is a necessary evil when it comes to including him and that kinda bums me out but Ace Attorney is popular and people really want this to happen, like a lot. So, he'd be a solid final character. Not a personal pick but a crowd pleaser.

Playtime is over, Yami.

Chance: 10%. While our preconceived notions of "priority" are often mislead and don't take into consideration the full facts, Amaterasu simply doesn't have what it takes to push above other series without them getting knocked out of the race one way or another. Even among the "nicher" Capcom cast, she's still fighting Morrigan, Arthur (who just got a huge relevance boost) and other hopefuls. And then there's the big daddy Wright. Competition isn't her only flaw as her relevance is dubious at best and she doesn't have the level of fan demand necessary to push past that. Her nicheness ironically may be her greatest strength as a third party however as we are at the end of another set of reveals.

Want: 75%. I dunno guys I like Okami a lot. Pretty simple reason to want a character but hey, I think she would be fun to play as, Okami is a great game. Everything just kinda fits together to make her a great pick.

Arle... 17.64%. Is she in a better position than Kiryu? I'd say yes for different reasons but I think both of them are on the table. Phantasy Star is actually my pocket fourth pick for a SEGA rep, a bit ahead of Sakura Wars and below Puyo/Yakuza/SMT, the three of which are pretty much neck and neck.

Next game isn't a reboot x max. I need to work on these faster.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo and Concept: Phantasy Star Newcomer.

Predict Demi-Fiend from SMT:III and Nahobino from SMT:V.

-----

Songs for today:

Arle Nadja

Phantasy Star

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Arurururururururu

Chance 10% Hoo boy, Puyo Puyo. This series is massive, how massive? It's sold over 30 million, pushing it ahead of Megaten and Persona combined and being behind Sonic and Total War, literally top 3. That's pretty damn big all things considered. Arle's also a pretty popular request from what I've seen, especially in Japan, so the demand's certainly there too, she's primarily from puzzle games and has a more unique aesthetic, being more of a magical girl character, which nobody else can claim to have. The only issues I see are competition and most importantly, Puyo Puyo itself. How do you adapt it's mechanics into Smash? I've seen ideas on what to do with Puyos as blocks, but in Puyo Puyo, chaining combos is more important than just getting 3 in a row. Sakurai may be a genius but I can imagine him struggling with this too, though Madou Monogatari, Arle's origin games, aren't puzzle games meaning there's still enough to work with.

Want: 60% Most of my experience with Puyo Puyo is playing Sonic Mania and Trails of Azure, which both feature Puyo Puyo minigames, while the genre really isn't my thing, I really like the idea of a magical girl in Smash with Arle sounding particularly good as I can't think of any better options, I also occaisonally see Puyo memes on my twitter, my favourite being live action Arle or Carbunkle saying "We're ****ed" in what I assume is a stage play, which made her somewhat endearing to me despite general lack of experience. I'm also very curious as to how she'd be adapted so that gets bonus points, and I do really like the Puyo Puyo song that plays in Sonic Mania, perfect track for beating the **** out of your friends

Phantasy Star

Chance: 5% Phantasy Star is a name that most people probably don't recognize which isn't too surprising as in the west, it's pretty damn small, I myself only really knowing it by others who like it or Microsoft promoting it at E3, but in Japan? This is so ****ing popular holy ****, specifically, Phantasy Star Online, which is an MMO with the series being one of the first online video games on consoles, the series is still around to this day which is pretty impressive as it's been around since 1987, the real question is how much do Nintendo want it compared to other Sega characters, though I do feel it fares much better than most options due to again, it's massive legacy and popularity in Japan. Sakurai also apparantly has some significant history with the series which is probably what got is Terry so that certainly doesn't hurt.

Want: Abstain, too unfamiliar with the series to make a proper judgement

Split noms between Soma and Junpei, if I get an odd amount give Soma the extra non

Top Bottom