• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
The moveset(s) I've seen for her on this board haven't interested me much, but she looks fun in SSF2. She might be a little to sexual for Smash, though.
Eh, if Bayonetta can get get in despite being a sexually charged character, Palutena having a pole twirl taunt with an uncensored panty shot, Zero Suit Samus with her Speedy Ending attires, and Krystal using her Star Fox Adventures attire instead of her Assault or Command attires, Shantae has little in the way of obstacles. The worst I could see happening with her is either her vest is closed and her gainaxing is reduced or her bra turns into more of a tube top.
Now, if you want Sexual, try the Space Princess outfit from Pirate's Curse. Definitely far more risque and similar in looks to Krystal from SFA, but again, Pirate's Curse was rated E10+, the same as Smash 4 and Ultimate.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Eh, if Bayonetta can get get in despite being a sexually charged character, Palutena having a pole twirl taunt with an uncensored panty shot, Zero Suit Samus with her Speedy Ending attires, and Krystal using her Star Fox Adventures attire instead of her Assault or Command attires, Shantae has little in the way of obstacles. The worst I could see happening with her is either her vest is closed and her gainaxing is reduced or her bra turns into more of a tube top.
Now, if you want Sexual, try the Space Princess outfit from Pirate's Curse. Definitely far more risque and similar in looks to Krystal from SFA, but again, Pirate's Curse was rated E10+, the same as Smash 4 and Ultimate.
Bayonetta shouldn't be in Smash.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah and she was always an indie. Indie bac then was pretty much impossible to self publish.
So you’re saying any developer that didn’t publish their own games was an indie? Would you call HAL an indie? What about Treasure?

I just think it’s incorrect to refer to any developer as an indie just because they’re small or don’t have a publishing arm. Indies are a modern phenomenon, let’s use the term properly.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Both: 0% chance/100% want

Box theory explains chance score for both.

Dixie is the last character that I feel is too important to skip over, but I guess history repeats itself again which is unfortunate. And Shantae is one of my most wanted characters but she's just not a big enough deal to be included.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Dixie Kong

Chance: 30%
I think that there are so many potential characters that it's hard to know who Sakurai has selected. I'm not sure of her chances simply due to the intense competition of characters this time around. I don't exactly know if K. Rool getting in helps or hurts her chances, but she is not guaranteed for sure.
Want: 30%
I guess I'm alright with her inclusion. She isn't on my list of characters I want in, but I would be pleased to see her.

Shantae

Chance: 0%
If Shovel Knight didn't get in, the chances for another indie to get in are hopeless. Shovel Knight was the face of indies, and popular worldwide, while I've heard that Shantae isn't well known in Japan. Her chances were pretty much hopeless from the start, and with so many popular characters Sakurai has to choose from, Shantae has no chance.
Want: 10%
I know very little about her, and she seems alright. I just don't think she really deserves any spot. She isn't nearly as iconic as most other indie characters. I feel like the only support she actually has is in more dedicated communities like this one. However, that does not stop her from being an interesting character with moveset potential.

Nominations

FE Spear User x3
Takumi (FE) x1
Zeke (XC2) x1

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So you’re saying any developer that didn’t publish their own games was an indie? Would you call HAL an indie? What about Treasure?

I just think it’s incorrect to refer to any developer as an indie just because they’re small or don’t have a publishing arm. Indies are a modern phenomenon, let’s use the term properly.
Dont even try to say Im wrong on this. HAL and Treasure had Nintendo publish their games but they also HELPED with other stuff besides the publishing. like development costs and whatnot. HAL and treasure are not indie. they are merely a small company.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Dixie Kong:

Chance: 30%

She is always a "maybe" because regardless of the sittuations she is just easy to create compared with other newcomers; the recent revival had helped her; but maybe isn't enough.

Want: 40%

She doesn't appeal too much to me other that being cute xD.

Shantae:

Chance: 1%

Leaks essencially killed her chances, and outside of that, also Shovel Knight appearing in Smash Bros Ultimate as Assist Trophy killed her chances; a character that seems to have a closer relationship with Nintendo and higher demand in the Ballot Days; I just don't give her an outright 0% because I don't want to ended up oversighing some mistake xD.

Want: 55%

I like her; her design is pretty and she would be fun (but maybe a bit weird to implement her powers).

Nominations:

x5 Hanafuda Character.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Do you really think that Nintendo PR would have referred to Shovel Knight as ‘lesser’, or differentiated him in any way from other Assists just due to his indie status? No way. That’s not indicative of whether Sakurai or the devs feel there is a distinction or not.
No, they wouldn't call him lesser, but its still odd they wouldn't mention the term independent despite their support of things like Nindies. Help me, because I'm going to quote, and It brings me no pleasure, IGN said that the Nindies are doing very well for nintendo, even reaching the top sellers list alongside MArio and Zelda titles. Hopefully, I never have to use IGN as a source again.

This adds fuel to my fire, as Shantae's games are all on the Eshop and Nintendo would know they'd sell more with the smash fame boost.

Still tho, not a bad point, thanks for the criticism. If you have any more good points against the rest of my massive wall of text, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
In regards to Shantae's popularity in Japan: there is a good enough amount of fan art on pixiv and Japanese Twitter.
Not to mention the Charagumin figures of Shantae and Rottytops.

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Dixie Kong
Chance: 30%​
Solid character from a high profile first party franchise. The only issues I see lie with the fact that Donkey Kong already has plenty of representation, and the fact that Dixie would have been great to reveal in K. Rool's trailer.​
Want: 0%​
Throw a wig on Diddy and call it a day. I'm not much of a DK fan, and Dixie seems like something an uninspired executive might have come up with after seeing Diddy, so I have zero interest.​

Shantae
Chance: 5%​
Shantae's chances are severely overhyped. There are over a dozen potential candidates with more factors pointing their way than Shantae does, and characters like Lloyd, Isaac, and BWD beat her in just about every regard.​
Want: 5%​
She just doesn't seem that interesting, and I'm not a fan of generic animal transformations. I'm not exactly rooting for her.​

Nominations
Not sure how nominations work here, but I nominate Lloyd Irving.​

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Dixie Kong

Chance - 40%- With Isabelle around, we know now that semi-clones are still a thing. She now has a few more legs to stand on, to the point when I consider her one of the more likely characters. With that said, K. Rool may have made her less of a priority, so I don't view her as anywhere close to certain.

Want - 50% - With K. Rool around, I don't hate her for taking away what could have been an interesting moveset. Now I'm just apathetic.

Shantae

Chance - 10% - With WayForword being so silent on Smash stuff despite being so vocal on the ballot, I'm almost certain she's in Smash in some way, shape or form. Playable is another matter. At this point, I think if we get an indie playable, it will be her. That said, it could be that Sakurai will be content not giving an indie character playable representation, and I view that as being far more likely as Sakurai is not shying away from giving more third parties non-playable treatment.

Want - 80% - Admittedly my most wanted third party. While I haven't had a chance to play her games quite yet (I have half-genie hero laying around my house, though), I view her transformations interesting and view indies as an important part of Gaming history, and Shantae I think leads the Nindies group. She'd be one of my most wanted.

Nominations

Reimu Hakurei X5

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Dixie Kong

Chance - 50%
She's certainly gotten a boost in possibility since we had Chrom show us how Echos can have different borrowed specials. She could easily follow the path Ridley -> Dark Samus took by being revealed after K. Rool. She's also another fairly obvious pick for echos, but depending on how many of those are left there's more obvious and less represented options like Shadow in the waiting.
Want - 60%
I like her as a character. I think she could be pretty fun as a modified Diddy with DK's recovery balanced to be more air, less smash. Also all for more female characters in the game, especially ones that are purely female since we really only got Daisy and Isabelle so far in that regard.

Shantae
Chance - 50%
She's an odd one chance wise. I'd say she's only got a 1% chance due to how many other options there are and her indie status. But then we got the general weirdness around her inclusion from WF and Shovel Knight basically kicking down the door for Indie representation in Smash. Ultimately, it's a coin toss based on Sakurai's whim at this point. If and only if Sakurai himself wanted an indie character to be in the game as a full fighter, he'd likely have looked at SK and Shantae to decide between, and in that case he likely would have gone with the older and more Nintendo leaning character of Shantae.

Want - 100%
She's my top want for the game, followed only by Medusa. We NEED more magic characters in Smash and it'd be nice to have more girls as I stated with Dixie. Shantae is a magical girl with a TON of moves that could be used to make a really unique character. Incorporating her animal forms in some way especially would be unique as we only really have two true shapeshifters in Smash: Corrin and Ultimate Game & Watch.

Nomination:
Not sure how this works, but I saw someone say Deconfirmed characters as DLC and that'd be neat.
I can just imagine the bloodbath that'd happen if Sakurai ended the final Smash direct by announcing that DLC this time will focus on upgrading Assist Trophy characters to full fighters on top of obvious new fighters.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Dixie Kong
Chance: 30%​
Solid character from a high profile first party franchise. The only issues I see lie with the fact that Donkey Kong already has plenty of representation, and the fact that Dixie would have been great to reveal in K. Rool's trailer.​
Want: 0%​
Throw a wig on Diddy and call it a day. I'm not much of a DK fan, and Dixie seems like something an uninspired executive might have come up with after seeing Diddy, so I have zero interest.​

Shantae
Chance: 5%​
Shantae's chances are severely overhyped. There are over a dozen potential candidates with more factors pointing their way than Shantae does, and characters like Lloyd, Isaac, and BWD beat her in just about every regard.​
Want: 5%​
She just doesn't seem that interesting, and I'm not a fan of generic animal transformations. I'm not exactly rooting for her.​

Nominations
Not sure how nominations work here, but I nominate Lloyd Irving.​
How many animal transformers even are there in gaming? i dont get you.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Dixie chances: 50%. I really want to put higher but you know, Sakurai bias. He may just overlook her
Want: 100%

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
How many animal transformers even are there in gaming? i dont get you.
It's not that there are a lot of animal transformers, I just don't find the idea of transforming into animals very appealing. I don't want to play as an elephant, a spider, or a tiger. That seems pretty boring to me.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
It's not that there are a lot of animal transformers, I just don't find the idea of transforming into animals very appealing. I don't want to play as an elephant, a spider, or a tiger. That seems pretty boring to me.
Well I saw you nominte Llyod...and I uhh think we have ENOUGH swordfighters in this damn Smash. ohhh but he use TWO swords ohho so exciting, he can bore us twice as much.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
What if they were her smashes? Having the chargeup animation bethe dance would be super unique. No reason to lock the transformations to a down B or something.

Also, Shantae turns into a Harpy, a spider, and many other zany things. My favorite transform of her's is a dryad in a pot that drops edible food for shantae later lol. Also, blobfish is a thing.

Well I saw you nominte Llyod...and I uhh think we have ENOUGH swordfighters in this damn Smash. ohhh but he use TWO swords ohho so exciting, he can bore us twice as much.
Hey, don't knock on Lloyd, he's awesome.

Attachments

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Dont even try to say Im wrong on this. HAL and Treasure had Nintendo publish their games but they also HELPED with other stuff besides the publishing. like development costs and whatnot. HAL and treasure are not indie. they are merely a small company.
So, what’s the difference? WayForward was also a small(er) company.

Can I get a source verifying your claim that HAL and Treasure frequently received outside help? Not that that is a factor at all in whether these companies are indies or not, just to satisfy my curiosity.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Hey, don't knock sword users. Just because they use a sword doesn't mean they're boring and uninspired. Also, it's not the 2 swords that makes Lloyd unique, it's his moveset from his original game, which I'm betting you haven't played.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Dixie

Chance - 50%

Dixie's an interesting situation, as I am speculating on not just her inclusion, but playable form. Will it be as a unique, semi clone, or echo? These different criteria, imo fluctuate her chances, so I went safe on the 50%. It could go either way really. On one hand, Sakurai has given the DK series a ton of love in Ultimate, but on the other, would he go the extra mile and add Dixie? Or for that matter, in a form that is true to her character?

Want - 100%

With K. Rool out of the way, Dixie is my #1 realistic choice for the base roster. DKC is one of my favorite video game series of all time, and Dixie is my favorite Kong to play in all the games where she's playable. It would also round out the reps for DK perfectly. As far as I'm concern, DK, Diddy, Dixie and K. Rool are the stars of this series, and to see them all together after all these years would be a dream come true. Oh, and ideally, I'd want her to be unique, of course.

Shantae

Chance - 5%

I don't see how Shantae has any real shot. Shovel Knight is the defacto face of the indie gaming scene and he could only amount to an AT. Sure, Shantae has more of a history on Nintendo, but it's not like she's some classic character, alas Megaman and Simon. Only reason I give her a chance at all is WF were very vocal about getting Shantae in Smash during the Ballot days, but I don't think that's nearly enough.

Want - 15%

Ehh, not my cup of tea. Nor do I get the appeal. I'd be happy for her fans, but I just don't think she merits a spot. Hope I'm not offending anyone, but there are dozens of characters I'd like to see before her.

Last edited:

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Geez, you sure took this personally. Guess people like you are the reason Smashboards has a bit of a bad reputation.

What if they were her smashes? Having the chargeup animation bethe dance would be super unique. No reason to lock the transformations to a down B or something.
Having the transformations be her smashes would keep the transformation time to a minimum, so that'd be better. Still very far down the list of characters I have any interest in, though.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So, what’s the difference? WayForward was also a small(er) company.

Can I get a source verifying your claim that HAL and Treasure frequently received outside help? Not that that is a factor at all in whether these companies are indies or not, just to satisfy my curiosity.
Yes.

actually HAL IS indie. so we were both wrong.... it is officially independent but is closely affiliated with Nintendo

and Treasure is privately owned company with about 30 to 40 members but do employ independent contractors to help with development and partern with companies like Sega and Nintendo to increase the sizes of their teams. So both are considered independent.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Being from an indie game does not help with the already limited third party slots, as they are generally reserved for more iconic roles who have a deep history with Nintendo and/or gaming in general. The only exception to this was Bayonetta who won the ballot
I don't know what the real ranking on the Ballot was, but even according to what we heard from Nintendo, Bayonetta didn't really win the ballot.

They used two weaselly qualifications when they announced her ballot "win":

First of all, they said her placement was first worldwide among "realizable characters". We don't really know what "realizable" means, they didn't explain it. But I would guess the following issues made characters "unrealizable":
  • Obviously, characters they think had design issues that prevented them from being adapted in a reasonable way (think Master Hand or Mother Brain in a jar or the Bionis from Xenoblade, as extreme examples)
  • Characters that were already in the game as part of existing characters (Chrom, Toad), ATs (Dark Samus, Isabelle) or significant stage elements (Ridley)
  • Characters they wouldn't be able to get the rights to within the timeframe necessary under acceptable conditions (Snake, Simon Belmont, Banjo-Kazooie)
Well, you already see several characters added to SSBU that could've been written off as "unrealizable" and could've placed higher than Bayonetta on the ballot (Snake and Ridley could well have placed higher, for example).

The other thing is that they said she placed first in Europe, top five in the US, and first worldwide. They didn't mention her placement in Japan probably because it was not good. You'd think they'd have mentioned it if she were even top ten in Japan (this also fits with her results in online polls, which were not impressive in Japan).

But we don't know whether they're being totally honest. Other issues that I think probably could've been factors could be wanting to save characters for hyping future installments of Smash (Inklings and K Rool, for example) and promotional value for other games (Bayonetta helped promote the Wii U exclusive Bayonetta 2... K Rool doesn't promote anything that we know of at the moment). Given that we also got Corrin, who nobody wanted because they didn't exist yet, I suspect that promotional considerations played a role (the evidence that Bayonetta started being worked on just two weeks into the ballot isn't 100% proof, but I wouldn't be at all surprised). Who knows what her real rank was. "Realizable" is such a weasel word that they could've excluded anyone for basically any reason ("We already made a Mii costume for the Inklings, so it's too late to add them.").
The same thing happened on his blog post, no mention of him being anything "lesser" than popular characters such as Bomberman, Lyndis, or Waluigi. So either Sakurai doesn't make a distinction between indies and triple A characters, or more likely, he doesn't care as long as they are popular.
Or even more likely, they didn't have to talk about him being an indie, so the fact that they didn't doesn't mean anything.
Has there ever been a confirmed case of a character choking out another's chances? Much less an assist trophy blocking out a playable character from entry? That makes less sense than saying she didn't do well in the polls despite her topping most of them (I have actually seen this argument floating around).
You literally linked to a spreadsheet that shows Shantae not even making the top 50 in Japan. I'd also say that what's also important for character selection is whether they have global popularity - Ridley and Dark Samus are characters much more popular in the West, so there are already some newcomers that are more popular here than there. It could be that if another character did worse overall than Shantae but had broader support geographically, that character might get chosen over her, because they don't want to cater to only one continent.

The other issue is that these polls you're citing may not be representative of the overall Smash Ballot. SmashBoards or Smash Reddit users might only be a subsection of the people who responded to the Smash Ballot and probably have different tastes. Another issue is that Nintendo may have their own market research that they are using, separate from the ballot. By which I mean, scientific polls. Hell, the Smash Ballot itself provides useful information, but it is not a scientific poll, because it has huge self-selection bias and couldn't prevent single respondents from answering multiple times (meaning that a small group of dedicated and savvy fans could skew the results by stuffing the ballot). The same thing applies to all of those online polls being used as evidence. Perhaps they count for something, but you have to apply a hefty dose of uncertainty to them rather than taking them as gospel.

And in particular, I would be skeptical when the results seem to deviate significantly from other evidence that doesn't have those skew issues. Shantae fans are not about to buy 5 extra copies of her games in order to goose her sales numbers to try to get her in Smash, so sales are not vulnerable to these issues. Shantae does fine, but it is not a blockbuster series, I don't know that any of her games even hit 500k copies sold, much less a million. Supposedly the first game only sold like 25k copies. Meanwhile, Shovel Knight has sold over 2 million copies. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the Shantae games put together don't match it. Maybe people who like Shantae, like her a lot, and Shovel Knight has less passionate fans. I'm not so sure that's true though.

But my point is that you need to consider more than one line of evidence, especially because the polls you're citing are not scientific. And other evidence does not support her being among the most popular video game characters, because if she was that popular, her games would sell better.

I'm not saying that sales proves she's not in either! But you should still consider them as another piece of evidence.
Shantae:
Chances: 100%
There should be no question that she is in the game, only how she is implemented at this point. If you paid attention you'd say the same. I'm betting on DLC personally, but I'll take an Assist Trophy if I must.
lol wut

I mean, maybe your evidence deserves some consideration. But Sakurai making little references to games like the Rathalos picture resembling a battle in Golden Sun, or that other picture resembling Shantae's games... could just be Easter eggs, rather than some secret code. I believe this Smash 4 screenshot was considered a reference to the Nintendo Famicom Disk game Yuyuki (first-party game, based on Journey to the West). Diddy would represent Goku in that pic (no, not that Goku, this Goku is a monkey that's the main character in Yuyuki). That was just an Easter egg for dedicated Nintendo fans, it didn't mean Goku or Yuyuki got any content in Smash. I mean, nobody was expecting him to be playable. But as a first-party character, a trophy would've made sense! Yet he got nothing, and viewing that screenshot as secret evidence would've just led you astray.

The strongest evidence we've seen so far (other than leaks) has been palette swaps being removed (Dark Samus, Chrom) and ATs (Dark Samus, Isabelle) or final smash appearances (Chrom) being suspiciously absent. None of that applies to Shantae. We have no reason yet to believe Sakurai is sending coded messages with chair colors or blog posts. She could be in, but 100%? You're massively overreading the evidence.

If you want to say I'm giving her way too little chance, fine, but she ain't anywhere near a shoo-in, much less guaranteed.

Last edited:

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Dixie Kong

Chance: 90%- I feel she is too big of a Nintendo character to be left out of the game entirely. Other than Captain Toad and arguably maybe Isaac, she is the biggest Nintendo allstar not yet playable. After King K. Rool's reveal, at first I thought her chances of being playable has decreased, or at least a unique fighter. But with Isabelle being in the game as a semi-clone, I feel Dixie has more hope to have the same role. While I would personally prefer Dixie to be a completely new character, because she has the potential to be one, I don't know how realistic that is. I don't think she'll be an echo because copying all of Diddy's moves wouldn't make sense, so a semi-clone seems likely.

Want: 100%- She's my most wanted newcomer... by far. I have a long history with her because DKC 2 and 3 were among the first game I ever played, and I instantly fell in love with everything about Dixie: her design, personality, charm, and adventurous attitude. I also had Mario Hoops: 3 on 3 for the DS and I vividly remember choosing to play as her, despite the fact that Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Donkey Kong, Wario, Bowser, and Daisy were playable. I chose Dixie over all of them because she has just always appealed to me more. I love that K. Rool's finally in, but I'm personally always been more fond of Dixie. Make this game Ultimate and put her in.

Shantae

Chance: 35%- Something about her being in Smash just isn't clicking with me. I don't really see it happening. With this game introducing less newcomers then previous iterations, I wouldn't expect more than one or two more third parties. I feel like Rayman, Banjo & Kazooie, and Geno are all more likely in my opinion than her. While Shantae is without a doubt the most popular indie rep not already disconfirmed for the game (RIP Shovel Knight), I honestly can't see an indie being playable. I feel like the stars are just not aligning for her. And with it now being less than 3 months til launch, I don't see her being one of the last "OMG" reveals. She probably would've been revealed during the Nindie Direct. So, unfortunately, it's not looking bright for the Half-Genie Hero.

Want: 50%- I'm a huge fan of Shantae's design and abilities she has in her games. Personally though, I just don't think she's a big enough character to warrant an inclusion in Smash. I know a lot of people will disagree with that, and that's perfectly fine because we're all entitled to our own opinions, but I just don't think she holds the same historical significance as the other 3rd parties. Sonic is a video game icon who for a while rivaled Mario in popularity and relevancy. Everyone knows who Pac-Man is, and he kind of represents the dawn of video games with the arcade era. Mega Man represents 2D side scrollers, while also being a gaming icon in his own right. Ryu is the mascot of all fighting games, not just Street Fighter, which is fitting since Smash is a fighting game. Metal Gear is a series that, while has recently lost some of its steam, is an important part of gaming history as one of the first stealth video games, having popularized the genre. Cloud is a perfect way to represent the spirit of Final Fantasy in Smash, which is one of gaming's most iconic series. Even Bayonetta at this point is a video game icon, who starred in two games that are both critically acclaimed. Does Shantae fit in here? To me, no. The more I think about it, the more I see how it would be cool to have a indie on the roster representing that branch of gaming though. So this one stays at a safe 50%.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Geez, you sure took this personally. Guess people like you are the reason Smashboards has a bit of a bad reputation.

Having the transformations be her smashes would keep the transformation time to a minimum, so that'd be better. Still very far down the list of characters I have any interest in, though.
Okay so continuing the bad behavior towards me isnt exactly good or the site's reputation either.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Guys, Shinuto's response was to a post saying the same thing. It's just satire. Don't take it out of context.

Just drop it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yes.

actually HAL IS indie. so we were both wrong.... it is officially independent but is closely affiliated with Nintendo

and Treasure is privately owned company with about 30 to 40 members but do employ independent contractors to help with development and partern with companies like Sega and Nintendo to increase the sizes of their teams. So both are considered independent.
Independent is not the same as indie.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If you want people to agree with you, attacking their preferences is hardly an effective way to do so. Today is the perfect opportunity for you to make a constructive case to the nay-sayers as to why Shantae belongs in Smash. Ad hominems can only hurt your case.
Well alright, to speak on how transformations could work, given they shouldnt be as deep as say Pokemon Trainer, but still diverse enough to fit many different situations, her Transforms could be set B and work like Shulk, Say she becomes a monkey, She gains smaller hitbox, a simple claw swipe for A and the monkey bullet for B and down B to revert back to Normal. The interesting thing about Shantae is she has many potentail ways her transformations could work in Smash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Can somebody explain this "box theory" to me?
People noticed that, on the side of the box (the special edition box that comes with the steel book and pro controller), 9 characters are placed in order, and then the next 9 are skipped, so we are to assume they are on the other side.

Continuing this pattern, Corrin get's bumped out of their group and into the group with the Ultimate newcomers, so it is assumed that there is an echo fighter in the previous group, which is Palutena through Cloud since Corrin was bumped out. Since there is a blank space on the side we can see (technically two but one is for Isabelle, though I don't know why they had to cut her out of the image since she was revealed in the same direct), it is assumed that we only have one unique newcomer left along with Ken being the echo fighter, if we are to assume Vergeben is right again.

Most people take it into consideration without wanting it to be true, as they want to keep their expectations in check.

I really want it to get disconfirmed. Also, it only works with Vergeben's info if the SE character is DLC.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Well alright, to speak on how transformations could work, given they shouldnt be as deep as say Pokemon Trainer, but still diverse enough to fit many different situations, her Transforms could be set B and work like Shulk, Say she becomes a monkey, She gains smaller hitbox, a simple claw swipe for A and the monkey bullet for B and down B to revert back to Normal. The interesting thing about Shantae is she has many potentail ways her transformations could work in Smash.
If she were to make it in Smash, I'm at least happy to know that she'll have a lot of inspiration to pull from. Having never played a Shantae game, I knew that she transformed into animals, but never knew how fleshed out the mechanics were.

While I'm still not convinced that she's as imminent as some others believe (a lot of us Ashley fans thought that the VA's silence on Smash could be proof of a Smash-related NDA, and that obviously wasn't the case, so such proof doesn't phase me like it used to), if she does manage to get in, she could be a pretty unique newcomer.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
DIXIE KONG
Chance: 50%
Want: Abstain
Only if she gets the semiclone treatment or above. You already know that I don't like echo characters. Even then, I don't care about Dixie. She does have a decent shot getting in as a semiclone of Diddy Kong, and she was decently popular during the Smash ballot. However King K Rool already got in, so who knows if she's getting in at this point :/

SHANTAE
Chance: 70%
Want: 70%

Considering the ballot and WayForward allowing her inclusion (similar to Banjo) Shantae has a decent chance of making it into the roster. The only thing potentially holding her back is Shovel Knight being an assist trophy. He was the other form of indie representation being heavily requested, and seeing him becoming an assist trophy could mean the same fate for Shantae. But honestly, Shantae has been with Nintendo longer than Shovel Knight, and got her start on the Game Boy Color WAAAAAAAY back in the day. As for a want, she would be interesting with her various transformations, and she would use her hair for standard attacks. I've never played her games, but if she made it in, I would be happy for her fans.

Nominations: Xurkitree x5
I made a support thread for it, so go check it out :)

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If she were to make it in Smash, I'm at least happy to know that she'll have a lot of inspiration to pull from. Having never played a Shantae game, I knew that she transformed into animals, but never knew how fleshed out the mechanics were.

While I'm still not convinced that she's as imminent as some others believe (a lot of us Ashley fans thought that the VA's silence on Smash could be proof of a Smash-related NDA, and that obviously wasn't the case, so such proof doesn't phase me like it used to), if she does manage to get in, she could be a pretty unique newcomer.
yeah...but see you are using unintentionally a false equivalence here. Shantae doesn't just have Cristina Vee's silence, she has Wayforward and Matt Bozon's silence. And I'm going to assume they get FAR more tweets asking about Smash than Ashley's VA ever did.

So...yeah, not the same scenario at all.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Oddly enough, the japanese poll section that was part of the bigger polls was actually not a real poll, and it was conducted in a tentative at best way. This was push dustin's (from source gaming) putting polls from all over the internet together, and when he tried to find a Japanese poll he couldn't. What he did instead was go on the japanese ballot announcement on twitter and he gauged the responses to mentioned names with a scale of "favorable to unfavorable" based on what was being said around them with varying degrees of accuracy.

Take that part of the poll out and Shantae is now #3 in USA and EU. I would have included this information but my post was already long enough.

Everyone knows that polls aren't indicative of the larger ballot, however, they do show that Shantae has substantial support within core smash communities. Having core support is what made K Rool, Ridley, and Isaac strong presences on the polls and likely the ballot. Those characters are not extremely well known to the bigger casual audience that you are claiming would dwarf Shantae's chances. (except maybe K Rool).

I've said before that you'd only need roughly 20k votes to make it big on the ballot. And if you use the polls as a 1-1 test, you'll see that 50% of all the votes go to the top 20 characters. and after the top 50, there's around 20% of the remaining votes. Considering that Sakurai stated the ballot to have only 1.8 mil votes, we can kind of gauge what shantae would need to place high.

There's a very likely scenario that she did perfectly well on the ballot because of her focused fan support. People banded together to support Shantae as much as people banded together to support Geno. The larger audience is what I feel is the irrelevant data, because they weren't unified, contributing to the tail end of the ballot.

I can mathematically prove that she at least got top 100 if you consider her kickstarter backers as 1-1 shantae supporters and voters. She got around 18500 backers for HGH.
If she got half of her twitter following as voters she's definitely top 20.

As for foreign influence, Shantae's games have been localized in Japan, she's got enough fans there to warrant two different companies making statues of her (one is going to go for $400) And she made top ten in a recent German poll. It's tough to see how much support she has elsewhere because USA seems to be far more interested in smash polls than other countries.

All this is on top of the large amount of other evidence, which is what led me to believe that she's in the game at all.

If you want, PM me to continue this before we get removed for being off topic by a mod or something.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Dixie Kong

Chance: 70% --> 70%

Copy and pasting what I said last time when we rated her:

I think her only real issue is her competition with King K. Rool, but if there is major thing she has over him, its that she has relevancy going for. She recently reappeared as a playable character in Tropical Freeze, which is even getting a Switch port sometime soon. Her popularity also does her favors.
I'm leaving the chance score as it. She's still quite popular, and with the existence of Echo Fighters, she could very well come into Smash Ultimate as a Diddy Kong Echo.

Want: 70% --> 70%

Copy and pasting what I said last time.

My preferred choice for the next Donkey Kong rep. I'd imagine she'd be a fun character to use.
Shantae

Chance: 10% --> 10%

Copy and pasting from what I said before, because I think her chances haven't changed.

She has some decent popularity and a history of Nintendo, but the only issue is her indie status and her competition with other more popular third party characters. For an indie character though, I think she was one of the most likely alongside Shovel Knight.
Want: 30% --> 30%

Copy and pasting from what I said last time.

She's cool and has some unique moveset potential. Other than that, I don't really care for her all that much.
------

Abstaining from predictions.

------

Nominations

Leo (Fire Emblem Fates): x5

Tew

Smash Apprentice
Shantae:

Chances: 30%

Pros:
I think she has higher chances than some people are giving her credit for. First of all, I believe she has a higher chance than Shovel Knight. Shovel Knight was still rather new, when work on Smash Ultimate likely started. At that point Shovel Knight didn´t have an amiibo and didn´t appear in tons of other Indies and fighting games. He also isn´t exclusive on Nintendo or anything, only has 1 game and no long history. Yet he still made it into Smash. I actually think this raises Shantae´s chances. She has a longer history/more games and appears on multiple Nintendo consoles (the first exclusive on Nintendo, the next 2 started on Nintendo and were only later ported to other consoles too). With her abilities from Pirate´s curse and the transform abilities I too think she has more moveset options and could add something unique. She has a decent following in the west, ranking high on many fanvotes (though I think she isn´t that well known in the general public). There too seem to be some minor hints that she is in the game, if as an AT or actual fighter or something else entirely.

Cons:
On the other hand many characters have minor hints, like Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, Isaac, Dixie Kong etc. but I doubt we will get all of them. There is just so much strong competition and I don´t see more than 5 unique Newcomers at best. She also isn´t well known in Japan at all and the west already got Ridley, even subtitled by some Japanese fans as Captain America apparently.

Want: 100%

Fun games, great style, really like her design and possible moveset. I also really hope for an indie fighter. There are so many great Indies that give you hours of fun for often just 10-20€ (or whatever that is in $) and I feel like many of them deserve more attention. Even I as a year long gamer only recently got into Indies. And Nintendo too seems to appreciate Indies, they had an Indie Showcase and a Nindie Direct only a few weeks ago and the Switch is just perfect for Indies.

Dixie Kong:

Chance: 40%

Pros:
Honestly, I still believe the biggest pro for her inclusion is that Diddy lost his tail jab. It´s such a weird thing to remove imo. And Dixie would work perfect as an Echo with slight chances (mostly up b and maybe just b, thanks to Chrom we know an Echo can have some different moves). Just because Isabelle wasn´t an Echo, doesn´t mean Dixie would get the same treatment. Dixies design has more similarities to Diddy, than Isabelle to Villager. Dixie imo also doesn´t have that much special to make for a whole new moveset. Enough for 1 or 2 different specials, which probably fits better for an Echo. I also don´t think we will get 2 unique Newcomers for any series.

Cons:
Again big concurrence, besides the tail-jab-removal I haven´t seen any hints or leaks pointing at her inclusion. Though to be fair at this point I have no idea anymore what to look at and how to rate characters. This Smash seems different than any other Smash before in the way they pick Newcomers. Can´t really look at any patterns or fan “rules”.

Want: 10%
Not to be rude, but I don´t care at all if she makes it in or not. Am mostly neutral. Don´t really like playing with Diddy, but I also don´t dislike it. Her personality and design are “okay” to me.

Predictions:
(are Predictions still a Thing?)
Hilda: 12%
Impa: 12%

Nominations:
Fjorm: 5x

Top Bottom