• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Oh this is what I was waiting for :p

Bandana Dee: Chance - 85%

It may seem high for some but the question is, what doesn't he have going for him? The only thing I can think of is the fact that a smaller roster this time means he is in heavy competition with others this time around. But he has a lot more going in his favour:
  • A spear is a unique weapon that is not used by any fighter in the game.
  • He is extremely prevalent in recent Kirby games such as Rainbow Curse.
  • On almost every bit of Kirby marketing he is shown off with the other 3, he is a part of the main cast now.
  • He can draw inspiration from the amount of things other Waddle Dees have done in the past for his moveset if you want to have more than his spear.
  • He literally has a moveset wrote out for him in Return to Dream Land.
  • Likely scored very high on the ballot as he is highly popular and requested.
  • Kirby has been doing better than ever in recent years, a 4th character is not as unlikely as some think.
  • 'Sakurai Bias' is no longer a valid argument with the changes of Kirby and Dedede's Final Smashes to games from after Sakurai left HAL (Return to Dream Land and Super Star Ultra).
  • Popularity in both Japan and the West.
  • Has developed more of a character over newer games.
So, all these reasons combined make him seem extremely likely in my opinion. And with this roster looking to include fan favourite characters I am pretty certain he will make the cut.

Want - 100%

Take a wild guess why? :p

Elma: Chance - 60%

Rex and Pyra/Mythra are not happening most likely (DLC however...). Elma makes sense as a character as Xenoblade is quite popular now and maybe it links to that model Sakurai bought as I heard some say. Honestly I dodn't know enough about the series but from what I have read I think she has a good shot.

Want - 50%

She seems like a cool character but if she doesn't make it it won't affect me.

Either way both of them are in my predicted 12 newcomers:
my 12 predictions sig.png

EDIT: Forgot nominations!! Rhythm/Tap Trial Girl x5

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I believe this will be my first time participating in this, and whilst I'm a little confused as how to the nomination factor works (there appears to already be a set schedule), I'm pretty sure I understand the rules for the character rating.

Bandanna Dee (Kirby series)
Chance: 80%
I consider Bandanna Dee to be one of the most likely potential newcomers to be added to SSBU, alongside other popular choices such as King K. Rool, Dixie Kong or Ashley. Of course, with a limited newcomer count, he has some stiff competition in that most likely bracket.

Bandanna Dee has become increasingly important to the Kirby series, brings to the table unique move-set opportunities through not just his spear usage but also Parasol (Battle Royale) and the various items and activities (Megaton Punch for instance) both he and other Waddle Dee's have done throughout the series. He's also fairly popular, popping up in a lot of promotional material for Kirby.

Want: 90%
Banadanna Dee is certainly within my top 12, potentially 10 most wanted characters. I love the Kirby series and more representation, particularly an important character with unique potential for a move-set, is always a plus.

Elma (Xenoblade)
Chance: 35%
This one was a tough one to calculate, and I'm unsure if I've placed her too high or too low. I've not played Xenoblade Chronicles X, so my judgement of her chances is more so based on outside factors.

I believe the Xenoblade series has a strong chance of getting a newcomer, as it was one of the newer represented series in SSB4. That said, not only do I have doubts that a new Xenoblade rep could be Elma, but with a limited newcomer addition this time around does decrease the chance for a Xenoblade rep overall. I'm expecting only about 5 more newcomers, and if I was expecting a choice between one of the newer added series to SSB to get a rep (so Xenoblade against Punch-Out or more importantly, Animal Crossing), I wouldn't call Xenoblade a guarantee.

There is also the issue of who the newly added character would be. Rex and Pyra have had their chances decreased, but still remain fairly popular, and I see a lot of people ignoring the fact that Elma isn't actually the playable protagonist of her game. Whilst Elma does have more character, it was Cross (I think that was the default name) who was the main playable lead, and Sakurai has been more keen on avatar characters with the introduction of Pokémon Trainer, Villager and Robin. She has competition both within her own series to contend with, but also against a more popular series that has a strong likelihood of getting a rep... at least following what little pattern Sakurai tends to keep with his additions (at least one series introduced in the previous entry has always gotten a 2nd rep in the following game).

Want: 10%
I know almost nothing about her, but she would be an addition to a series which has only one representative. From what I've heard, she also is at no risk of being a echo, clone or semi-clone of any kind, so unique move-set potential is always a plus. With no interest in Xenoblade or her character though, a 10% want is as best as I can give though.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Bandanna Dee
Chance - 75%
Was likely before as a Kirby rep and is even more likely know that we know Ultimate is a little more fan servicey. With the project plan being Dec 2015 the Ballot will probably take more focus than we thought and it's been shown that a new Kirby character in general is highly requested from Japan. I feel we could get a Cloud Final Fantasy situation where Sakurai will choose Bandanna Dee to represent all those Kirby character votes.

Still the only thing against Bandanna Dee is "Sakurai Bias" but this games seems to be getting a decent amount of Kirby love, and Masked Dedede is refrenced which is post Sakurai. Yea don't see anything against his chances still.

Want - 50%
That 50% is completely driven by his fan base. I wanna see them happy. I'd rather Marx or the even less likely Gooey, but I'd be happy with Bandanna Dee.

Elma
Chance - 26%
I'm expecting a huge inflation of her chances after the discover of the Ballot placement. Rex & Pyra are almost defintely out of the equation, so Elma must be the next Xenoblade rep right?! Well with the direction this game is going and how based it is on fan desires, I don't think Sakurai will see a Xenoblade rep as neccesary. X had only just come to the west by the time of his project proposal. I really don't think Xenoblade was a Nintendo classic at that point that required more that 1 rep, especially one who isn't even the true protagonist of the game. That and there was little support for Elma at the time and I highly doubt she did well on the Ballot.

The only reason I give her 25% is that Sakurai does like the Xenoblade series and I think he's gone on record saying he liked X specifically. But with limited newcomers I don't see adding another Xenoblade rep as a priority.

(There's also the Mech gun thing so you know what I'll give her an extra 1% for that.)

Want - 30%
She's relatively boring. Her fighting style could be unique and I could like her for that, but I can also see them not playing up the switching between ranged and close combat on the go, and that's the most interesting part about her as a fighter. Mechs are cool I guess.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Bandanna Waddle Dee
Chances: 20%
a Kirby character is, by no stretch of the imagination, a lock for Smash Ultimate. I would have said that his chances were much higher before Ultimate was announced, but they've really been on a downward spiral since. To start, BWD has always had Dark Matter Blade to compete with, at least in recent memory, as I've seen him talked about as much as waddle dee, if not more. But fast forwarding to when smash was announced, and the weeks after the fact, His fanbase became somewhat threatened by the dream friends, though mostly Marx. As weeks became months, Marx became a very real threat to BWD and (Hilariously) his fanbase began to get more bitter and lash out more at people who like Marx, or any other kirby character. So much so that they spammed any Smash thread they could on /v/. Fast forward to E3, and now we know that the newcomer list is MUCH smaller than we all imagined it would be. This hurts, and in my opinion, kills his chances now, as he had already been withered down so much by bitter fans and so many of them jumping ship to Marx. The funny thing about it is, now that we know the roster was finalized in 2015, we know a good bit of new games that would have "confirmed" his spot aren't even out yet, so that'd knock him down a peg already, though this would also hurt any dream friend from Star Allies as well, knocking back down to whatever they were before. I wouldn't even say he's the most likely anymore, as not only are his chances so low now, Sakurai is also an extremely unpredictable man, so we very well may get a different character for a kirby rep, or no rep at all. If Sakurai always added characters we thought "for sure without a doubt" were coming, we'd be playing with Chrom and Zoroark by now, without Ike and Lucario. Simply put, he isn't happening.

Want: 0%
He is without a doubt the least interesting Kirby character in the series. He has no unique qualities and and only a hat to define him as a different thing from the regular spear ability waddle dees. MANY, and when I say mean I really mean ALL, of the Kirby characters are more interesting, have greater moveset potential, and would be a thousand times more unique. I personally am a Marx fan, though I'd be fine with Dark Matter Blade or something of the like.

Elma
Chances: 50%
Her chances are very good now that the roster was finalize in 2015, or close to it. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is WAAAAAY off in the distance and is definitely not getting anything on the Base roster, considering it may not have even existed yet. XCX was quite successful, and both Fans and Sakurai alike agree that the game is fantastic, so I would definitely not put it past him to Include elma. In fact, had it not been for the now very small newcomer limit, I would have predicted that Xenoblade would become the new Fire Emblem with over-representation. Perhaps we have been saved from it... hopefully...

Want: 40%
eh, I don't really care about the Xenoblade series, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. A dual wielding pistol user would be interestingly unique for smash.

Nomination: Louie x5

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Bandanna Waddle Dee
Chances: 20%
a Kirby character is, by no stretch of the imagination, a lock for Smash Ultimate. I would have said that his chances were much higher before Ultimate was announced, but they've really been on a downward spiral since. When smash was announced, and the weeks after the fact, His fanbase became somewhat threatened by the dream friends, though mostly Marx. As weeks became months, Marx became a very real threat to BWD and (Hilariously) his fanbase began to get more bitter and lash out more at people who like Marx, or any other kirby character. So much so that they spammed any Smash thread they could on /v/. Fast forward to E3, and now we know that the newcomer list is MUCH smaller than we all imagined it would be. This hurts, and in my opinion, kills his chances now, as he had already been withered down so much by bitter fans and so many of them jumping ship to Marx. The funny thing about it is, now that we know the roster was finalized in 2015, we know a good bit of new games that would have "confirmed" his spot aren't even out yet, so that'd knock him down a peg already. I wouldn't even say he's the most likely anymore, as not only are his chances so low now, Sakurai is also an extremely unpredictable man, so we very well may get a different character for a kirby rep, or no rep at all. If Sakurai always added characters we thought "for sure without a doubt" were coming, we'd be playing with Chrom and Zoroark by now, without Ike and Lucario. Simply put, he isn't happening.

He is without a doubt the least interesting Kirby character in the series. He has no unique qualities and and only a hat to define him as a different thing from the regular spear ability waddle dees. MANY, and when I say mean I really mean ALL, of the Kirby characters are more interesting, have greater moveset potential, and would be a thousand times more unique. I personally am a Marx fan, though I'd be fine with Dark Matter Blade or something of the like.

Nomination: Louie x5
I really don't see how Marx is a threat. He has literally no chance. The roster was finalised in December 2015 and Marx is only relevant again due to Star Allies. Also a lot of your comment seems more targeted to a minority of the fanbase.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
I really don't see how Marx is a threat. He has literally no chance. The roster was finalised in December 2015 and Marx is only relevant again due to Star Allies. Also a lot of your comment seems more targeted to a minority of the fanbase.
yes I suppose I did forget that, though the fans who have jumped ship to Marx have definitely still stayed that way. And no that was more aimed at the majority. I will change marx to Dark Matter Blade for the first part, since he could easily be interchanged with it.

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
yes I suppose I did forget that, though the fans who have jumped ship to Marx have definitely still stayed that way. And no that was more aimed at the majority. I will change marx's name to Dark Matter Blade for the first part, since his name could easily be interchanged with it.
Not really, Dar Matter has nowhere near as much support, in fact no Kirby character does.

D

Deleted member

>People are still bringing up Marx as a legitimate threat to Bandana Dee

Last edited by a moderator:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Not really, Dar Matter has nowhere near as much support, in fact no Kirby character does.
what ever you say man. :upsidedown: Smashboards isn't the only place on the internet someone can voice their support for a character. Just because his support thread doesn't have as many juicy "I support this character!!!" posts on it as Waddle Dee's does, doesn't mean he's not still highly requested.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
what ever you say man. :upsidedown: Smashboards isn't the only place on the internet someone can voice their support for a character. Just because his support thread doesn't have as many juicy "I support this character!!!" posts on it as Waddle Dee's does, doesn't mean he's not still highly requested.
Honestly, Smashboards is the only place I have seen him come up.

D

Deleted member

Considering Dark Matter is not very well known outside the Kirby fanbase, I really doubt he's been brought up by many as an actual contender.
Meanwhile, I've seen several top 10 most wanted character videos where Bandana Dee took the no. 1 spot.
>he doesn't think BWD is perfect Assist Trophy material
View attachment 149393
I'm not sure how to respond to this by saying anything other than "you have a very selective way of reading."

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
Bandana Dee:
Chance: 65%
Bandana Dee is the likeliest next Kirby rep IMO. There are other characters that are requested and could possibly make it in like Magalor, but Bandana Dee has been cemented as the forth main character at this point. If we're going to get a newcomer for Kirby, he has the best chance. He is also highly requested and is marketed quite a lot. His weapon is unique and could have an interesting moveset. There is a lot going for Bandana Dee, but I'm not sure if a fourth Kirby character is going to happen.

Want: 20%
I've never been a fan of the Waddle Dee's design, so Bandana Dee never really appealed to me. I'm a fan of his spear and some of his abilities, but the idea of playing as Bandana Dee just doesn't excite me much.

Elma:
Chance: 70%
I'd go as for to say that Elma is one of the likeliest newcomers right now. Now that we know the date for the project plan, timing is looking to be on Elma's side. Xenoblade X was a recent game at the time, so it makes sense that Elma would be considered. This is speculation, but I think Elma was probably battling with Corrin for DLC. Since Corrin got added, I could see Elma than being put in the next game. This is all a thought, so it might not mean anything. Xenoblade is an up and coming franchise, and I think of it as kind of a Fire Emblem situation. For a series that is rising in popularity, I could see another rep being added. The Xenoblade X series also isn't finished. With talks of a Xenoblade X2 and the probability of a port to the switch, Elma makes a lot of sense,

Want: 100%
Xenoblade X was a lot of fun for me, so I would love for it to get representation in Smash. Elma was really the only good character in the game, and she has a lot of moveset potential. She's probably my most wanted newcomer right now.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Bandana Dee

Chance: 40% - I still think he's got a decent shot, but I must say I'm not very optimistic that he'll make it with Sakurai hinting we'll get less newcomers. For me he's one of those they would have included under normal circumstances to spice things up, but if we only get around 8 or so newcomers then I'm not sure he's big enough of a deal to take up one of the few remaining spots as he's neither amongst the very most wanted characters for the game or an absolutely key character in his series (because let's be real, he's the 4th wheel). On top of that there's the news that the project plan was finalized in late 2015, which rules out his most prominent role since RtD, being in Star Allies. Like I said, he's still got a solid chance as demand for a Kirby newcomer has been notable, and even if we discount Star Allies he's still had a lasting presence, but I'm just not as optimistic about him as I used to be, not for the base game at least.

Want: 85% - With all that said, I'd love it if he made it in, it would really round things off for the Kirby series, and his fanbase also deeserves as much. He's also got so much personality, and with his spear I feel like he'd bring a lot to the game.

Elma:

Chance: 50% - I think she's our most likely Xenoblade newcomer, and the news of the project plan being finalized in 2015 only helps her even more. The only negative in her book is that she wasn't popular as a ballot request, not as far as we could see at least, so if that is going to play a hugely decisive role in this game's newcomer roster then that's obviously going to hurt her chances.

Want: 50% - I'm fine either way, I've never touched any Xenoblade game, but she at least seems like she'd be an alright inclusion.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Goomba with a Hat

Chance: 90%
Bandanna Dee is one of the few candidates I'd be comfortable betting money on being in Smash Ultimate in some form or another. For one, he's a Kirby character, and for a series as popular as Kirby and one born from Sakurai's own mind, we haven't seen a new Kirby fighter in over ten years. The series is due for a new character, and as basically the Kirby series' fourth main character at this point, even boasting playable appearances alongside Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede, he's practically the choice for a new Kirby rep. His competition within the Kirby franchise is also very limited, with most of his contenders either lacking feasibility as a Smash fighter or simply not being a noteworthy enough character to be up for consideration (in 2015, mind you, so that includes most, if not all of the DLC Dream Friends - sorry, Gooey). Furthermore, he seems to be very popular - I say "seems to be" as someone will inevitably come in here and go "UGHHH WE DON'T KNOW HOW WELL THEY DID ON THE BALLOTTTTT" if I say otherwise - both around here and in the Kirby fanbase. And, of course, his moveset is basically already written out for him by virtue of him being playable in Return to Dream Land, with only a few tweaks necessary to make him work in Smash. The only way I can really see Bandanna Dee missing the roster entirely is if some serious Sakurbias comes into play, and even then, I feel he would have at least been shown as an Assist Trophy or an element of Dedede's new Final Smash if that were the case.

Want: 75%
One of the few characters who I actually want beyond the level of "huh, that'd be cool, I guess." I love Bandanna Dee as a character, and even more, I love the Spear ability (which kind of sucks considering it's only ever been in three mainline games if you count it being exclusive to Bandanna Dee himself in Star Allies...). It's just so ridiculously fun to mess around with, and I'd especially love to take the ability for a spin in Smash. If he ever got in, Bandanna Dee would likely become one of my new secondaries.
Oh, and before anyone calls me out as a hypocrite for supporting Bandanna Dee, but hating on Captain Toad (because they're apparently seen as equivalent in the Smash fanbase due to being generic mooks with miscellaneous headgear to set them apart from other members of their species), bear in mind that I actually enjoy playing as Bandanna Dee. Playing as Captain Toad, a sluggish character who can't jump, in Super Mario 3D World, a platformer, just makes me feel like I'm missing something compared to regular gameplay.

Elmo
Chance: 25%
Elma is an incredibly tricky case for me. On one hand, she certainly has fighting potential, the timing for the project plan lines up in her favor, and she's from an already represented series. There's also the matter of the mecha gun figurine, which Sakurai teased was used as a reference for a character he was working on that many speculate was Elma. However, there's also the matter of whether he saw Xenoblade as really needing a second character at the time; my instinct says no, considering the series as a whole had yet to become the rising star that it became upon Xenoblade Chronicles 2's release several years later. She also doesn't fit in with this game's apparent theme of fanservice at all, as X isn't a particularly popular entry in the Xeno-franchise (quite the contrary, it's easily the black sheep of the Xenoblade line of games), and her Ballot results were likely terrible, due to her game only releasing in the middle of its run. Not to mention, the speculation that the gun figurine was for Elma is just that: baseless speculation. That gun could have been for anyone; for all we know, it may not even have been for Smash at all. I don't see her as terribly likely at the moment, but I'm not gonna rule her out just yet.

She'd have a fun moveset, but beyond that, I don't care for her. As an avid Xenoblade fan, I don't like Xenoblade X at all - I'd even go so far as to say I hated it before Xenoblade 2 came out and returned to the original style. Seeing it represented in Smash just wouldn't sit well with me, like if Paper Mario got in, but he was based entirely on Sticker Star. I guess I wouldn't object considering my favorite game in the series is already represented with a character and a stage, but I'd hardly rejoice at seeing a character from X, the game with by far the most flat characters of the series, get in Smash. Even if it's Exposition Elma, she's the best of a bad lot.

Welp, no use nominating Tingle now that he's confirmed to be on Great Bay again... now who will I nominate? :sadeyes:
. . .
Nominating Thwomp x5

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Banana Waffle Tea.

Chance: 20%
All in all I think he has a decent shot due to when the project plan came out. Plus he's an important recurring character.
Mostly because he and Dillon are my brother's most wanted newcomers, haha.

Elmo's World

Timing is right. That and I'm convinced the gun thing was for her Skell.
Want: 60%
Wouldn't lose sleep if she were excluded and I'm not really a fan of Xenoblade (could never get into the first one...just didn't click with me), but Elma's neat. Dual blades and dual guns, in addition to a giant mech. Plus we'd get more people of color in Smash and that's a really nice bonus.

Nominating "Reinhardt gets a trophy" x5 ( TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom if I can move the old noms to this that'd be great)

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Bandanna Dee

Chance - 65% - Just some slight removal of chance, due to overall increased pesimism. He was, and still is, a highly requested character who has cemented himself as the only real choice for a Kirby character. The only competion he faces right now is Dark Matter and Magolor, and both struggle to have the consistant apperences he has. Compared to them, he also has established himself as a major character within his own franchise, only just missing out on being as iconic as them due to only recently coiming into the spotlight. The only things holding him back are either being outcompeted by other characters or potential Sakurai bias, though that last point seems to be lessining with Ultimate's current stock in recent Kirby games.

Want - 100% - My most wanted character at the moment. I like the Kirby series, and I feel like these days Kirby just isn't complete without him. He's a glaring ommition that will get more ovious with each game at this point.

Elma

Chance - 40% - I honestly feel like Elma and Rex are see-sawing with each-other's chances. At this point, I think she has higher chances due to timing, but it could go either way. It's hard to give an acurate reading for this one, though, so I don't feel conforable going over 50% on this one.

Want - 50% - Have no interest in this series, and am completely nuetral on her.

Predicitons

Dixie Kong -64%- Clone posibly?

Issac - 3.53% - Poor him...

Nominations

Nihlego X5

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Bandana Dee
Chance 90%
If he was an assist trophy or a back ground character he would have been mentioned there in the tree house at E3 or be shown in DeDeDe's new final smash. Not even one generic waddle was shown at all let alone BWD. He has the biggest following in the Kirby fan base in Japan. Heck in the Kirby fandom in general he's high up on the list.

Want 100%
My number 1 want newcomer ever since he proved him self as a fun playable character in RtDL. (Not including CS)

Elma
Abstained
I don't know much about xenoblade x but I know that it is a spin off and that's at a strange place to be in for newcomers.

Nomination Django x5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Bandana Dee chances: 52%
What I wrote last time:
While he's certainly a good contender, I'm not confident enough to consider him more likely than not, simply because I feel that new character slots are going to be highly valued and as I already said I'm expecting a comparably lower amount of new content compared to previous sequels in the Smash series, making competition quite strong for potential new challengers. In Return to Dream Land and later games he became an important recurring character to the series, and his very most recent appearances seem to have cemented his status as a major part of the modern Kirby era, although the roster was probably decided when those were still early in development. Overall I think Bandana Dee has an very good shot at being considered, especially since he probably got visible demand in the ballot, and has a solid chance at passing the "priority" filter as well.
I believe my explanation for my previous rating is still accurate, except for the "I'm not confident enough to consider him more likely than not" part since I just gave him slightly higher than that. Recent analysis of Yoshi's Wooly World suggests that while Daisy's amiibo data was updated to include any potential amiibo series, the data for Waluigi's and Boo's were updated to only take the Mario series amiibo into account. Meanwhile the amiibo data for Waddle Dee was also updated to include any series of amiibo, which suggests that Waddle Dee may get another amiibo. Just like how Daisy is gonna get her Smash amiibo, it's possible that YWW's developers were aware of the fact Waddle Dee was going to get another amiibo in the future, and while Bandana Dee is not a generic Waddle Dee, it might be possible that it might be an element of the "Waddle Dee" set, similar to how Dr. Mario is considered as an element of the "Mario" set and has the same functionality as Mario in games that don't specifically discriminate the Dr. Mario amiibo. It's a good enough clue to feel better about his chances, but I still prefer to give him a good margin of error in case I'm misinterpreting the evidence.

Bandana Dee want: 55%
What I wrote last time:
He's alright. Not a terrible choice, but not one I feel strongly towards either.
I don't have anything to add compared to last time.

Elma chances: abstain
Since I don't have much time to write a long wall of text and since I don't know of to interpret the fact Smash Ultimate's plans started late 2015 when it comes to the chances of Xenoblade characters, I prefer to not give a rating.

Elma want: 58%
What I wrote last time:
I played Xenoblade X and while I enjoyed it I don't necessarily feel the need for it to get playable representation in Smash. I particularly liked the game's settings with its beautiful places (Sylvalum in particular is awesome) and species, but I also found it to have flaws that hold the game back, especially the characters. The original Xenoblade did such a good job at giving every playable character a personality and a purpose both in story and gameplay, with each feeling unique enough to be used for different strategies against different kinds of enemies. In comparison the way characters were handled in general in XCX left to be desired, there were a lot of them which much more limited character development and they felt less unique gameplay-wise (especially because they only had two unique arts each). To be completely fair I can sort of understand why it's that way, because in the settings of a colony that survived the destruction of Earth each character has their own experience and the support mission format was a good way to develop many backstories and make us care more than if the characters part of the support missions were NPCs. I also felt like the game in general suffers a bit from feature creep, and the amount of playable characters is a symptom of that.

Honestly port the game on Switch, cut a bit back on gameplay feature creep with more unique characters, give us more development on part of the lore of the game that's being barely developped on (such as telling us whatever is L's species and making Yggralith more than bonus bosses – especially with their frightening description, they sound like a main story kind of threat – not to mention continuing the game's story so we can have a follow-up to the obvious mystery at the end of the last main story chapter) and you have the potential for a truly awesome game with less unanswered questions and better gameplay, and in turn I could imagine myself fully wanting Elma for Smash.
I believe it's still accurate so I won't add anything.

Dixie Kong prediction: 60.53%
Isaac prediction: 20.87%

Nominating:
Returning game mode: Smash Run x5

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Bandana Dee
Chance: 45%
If there is any Kirby character that's getting in, it's Bandana Dee. The only plausible threat to his chances within his series is Susie, who's game didn't come out for a full 4 months after the project plan was finalized. The real question is whether or not they'll be a Kirby newcomer, which is a bit of a toss-up.

Want: 80%
Give me the DEE! He's one of my few remaining newcomers that I've wanted since the beginning that hasn't been disconfirmed yet.

Elma
Chance: 60%
Xenoblade Chronicles X was very relevant at the time, considering it released worldwide in the exact same month the project plan was finalized (except Japan, where it was released 8 months prior). Like with Bandana Dee, the question is whether or not they'll be a Xenoblade newcomer; it's unlikely that Rex and Pyra will beat out Elma since their designs weren't finalized until 2016

Want: 85%
For the exact same reason as Bandana Dee. However, Elma is slightly higher on my list

Prediction
Dixie Kong: 58% She's probably one the most likely newcomers at this point, as an echo or a newcomer
Isaac: 16.33% Yeah. I'm only rating him this high due to the amount of people here who want really him.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Bandana Waddle Dee
Chance: 50%

Exact same chance as Captain Toad IMO, total coin flip. Yes there isn't anything referencing Bandana Waddle Dee, but there's also nothing to indicate him either. Sm4sh had Dedede remove the Waddle Dees from his moveset and we all thought perhaps this meant there was room for Dee on the roster, but alas; nothing.

He has been making more and more frequent and active roles in Kirby games since Sm4sh's initial roster was decided, so maybe it's finally time to complete the Kirby mainstays lineup? I'm cautiously optimistic.

Exact same want as Captain Toad too. Well okay, maybe slightly less but I Dee is easily in my top three most wanted newcomers alongside Captain Toad and Dixie Kong with him and her constantly swapping in my want order. A character with a good spacing mechanic such as a spear user could be a lot of fun if done right, and Bandana Dee is by far the leader of the spear pack. The spear head you could even say.

Elma

I see her as pretty likely. With the reveal Rex and Pyra are unlikely to be making it on the base roster due to poor timing, Elma seems like the clear leader for a new Xenoblade character. With her guns and blades she can offer a lot of mix up playstyles.

Want: 70%
Of the three Xenoblade games, X is the only one I've really wanted to play. Still haven't tried the series, but Elma's design is fairly pleasant and I like the idea of a blade and gun weilder in one.

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Smashboards isn't the only place on the internet someone can voice their support for a character. Just because his support thread doesn't have as many juicy "I support this character!!!" posts on it as Waddle Dee's does, doesn't mean he's not still highly requested.
Even ignoring the huge circlejerk on Smashboards, he's still consistently the most popular Kirby pick across the internet by a long shot.

Source Gaming: "Mega Switch Smash Poll"
  • Bandana Waddle Dee: 498 votes
  • Marx: 113 votes
  • Magolor: 28 votes
GameFAQs: "Most Wanted Newcomer Poll"
  • Bandana Waddle Dee: 3rd place overall (tied with Isaac), 43.9% of Kirby votes
  • Marx: 16.6% of Kirby votes
  • Adeleine: 12.8%
  • Dark Matter: 8%
Reddit: "Official /r/smashbros Smash Switch Character Wishlist Poll"
  • Bandana Waddle Dee: 7th place overall, 732 total votes
  • Marx: 92 total votes
  • Adeleine: 42 total votes
  • Magolor: 21 total votes
  • Gooey: 16 total votes
  • Dark Matter: 7 total votes
Hell, even on /v/, where you said "they spammed any Smash thread they could," resulting in "many of them jumping ship to Marx," Bandana Waddle Dee still has more votes there too. Can confirm the /v/ thing though, Bandana Waddle Dee absolutely ruins Smash threads over there. Although, it is the closest out of any poll so far, by a large margin.

4chan: "/v/'s wishes for Smash 5"
  • Bandana Waddle Dee: 155 votes
  • Marx: 147 votes
  • Dark Matter: 68 votes
All of this is even ignoring the Japanese demand for him, and a good recent example of this would be some of the responses to this tweet. Even when ignoring the English tweets, a majority of the tweets asking for a new Kirby character for Bandana Waddle Dee. Shout out to the guy asking for Capsule J2 though. Unless there's some secret hidden website I don't know about, Bandana Waddle Dee has the upper hand in all cases, and by a large margin in many.

I'd much rather have Marx or Dark Matter too, simply because their designs aren't just Waddle Dees with a stick and an accessory, but don't ignore facts because you don't like them.

Didn't Sakurai say he wasn't a fan of the Dark Matter trilogy. That might not mean something but hey.
That couldn't be farther from the truth. Shinichi Shimomura (the director of the Dark Matter trilogy), actually worked with Sakurai on Kirby's Adventure for the NES, and Sakurai was more than happy to pass the reins onto him when he grew tired of making Kirby sequels. Heck, he even came back to provide the voice for King Dedede in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Bandanna Dee Chance - 25%: Not something I'm going to rule out, but his popularity is very difficult to gauge. Yes, you can force a moveset for him that's less bland, but he's still quite bland at his core, you'd largely be making an original character. I do not think Sakurai worked on any games where Bandanna Dee is a thing separate from Waddle Dee either. Some people give him more credit because of surviving the deconfirmation wave, but really, what role would you give this character if he wasn't playable? He would be a really boring assist. I don't think that means much.

Bandanna Dee Want - 5%: He's a Hat Goomba that I think is something of a waste. This isn't 0% just because he would be a somewhat amusing Pichu-esque joke character, as his "boss fight" in Super Star Ultra is hilarious. That boss fight is all I see when I see this character, it's the most memorable thing he's done for me. The fact his fandom doesn't embrace that aspect of him more and treats him as a capable fighter for some reason is largely a turn off, though.

Elma Chance - 55%: Rex and Pyra are blatantly banned from the design document. She would have a better moveset than the two of them anyway. We could just not get a Xenoblade character, but it could go either way now. This would be easier to gauge if we had any history of how Sakurai treats this franchise.

Elma Want - 10%: Know nothing about her, just higher than 0 because of blocking T-Rex and Pyro.

Nominate Fawful x5

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Bandana Dee

Chance: 25%
Bandana Dee has a decent shot, but he's a mid-carder. And, honestly, I think all the mid-card slots are gonna be echoes this time. If he's getting in, it's as one of the secret unannounced characters like Bowser Jr. or Lucario.

My initial want was pretty low from what I remember, because the fans were getting annoying, but after playing Star Allies I'm sold.

Elma

Chance: 5%
I really just don't see it. I always thought her chances were bad because of Xenoblade 2, but now I'm not even sure if Rex is getting in

Want: Abstain
Haven't played the Xenoblade series yet, but I plan to.

Dixie Kong prediction: 45%

Isaac prediction: 12.5%

Nominations:
Raiden x5

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Bandana Dee
Chance - 20%
Toad, the more iconic generic sidekick/enemy turned into something more has already got shot down. I'd say Kirby's Toad isn't on the greatest footing either. With limited newcomers, I'm thinking Bandana Dee might be one of those over-rated characters that does have a solid chance... but he is far from a lock at the same time. I'm thinking Kirby sits at 3 seats on this roster.
Want - 40%
He's cute and has a spear. But with limited space for newcomers, he isn't a priority in my opinion. But again.... he's cute.

Elma
Chance - 30%
I'm leaning towards her being taken in to not only boost the Xenoblade series to a 2nd rep, but I could also see her being chosen as another strong female character for the game. I'm not a fan of the biggest pushes on equalizing rosters for the sake of it in gender ratio, but it's hard to ignore that's been a big push in many games trying to create 50/50 or more female than male rosters as of late. I can see her meeting the qualifications of a solid female entry while also pandering to the Tumblr equality force.
Want - 25%
I think she could be pretty cool in terms of move set and what she brings to the table. Looking into the series a bit more (cutscenes and VA)... I'm not that impressed. Kind of looks like those generic MMO anime games that pop up on Steam saying look at these cute anime waifu girls that have other other forms that take off clothing for reasons... you know why. Cause boob windows and open stomach outfits are the true armor to win fights!!! Why aren't our troops showing off their man nipples and belly buttons?!?! Oh cause that makes no sense at all? That can't be!

But ya, cool move set and alright character in general. But looking into the series a bit more, not that impressed and looks like the Shulk's go around was actually the best designed cast in visuals. Seems the series keeps diluting itself to the current Pyra and Rex super generic waifu and protagonist with awful designs level of appeal. Looks like Elma's crew was the inbetween phase, the Metapod.

Nominations 5x Incineroar

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Bandana Dee

Bandana Dee.

A bit hard to be that confident with a newcomer that isn't Inkling (that their were already confirmed); but Dee is in a somewhat safe spot, with the only thing going against him is looking a bit... simple.

It would perfectly happen, it's the most likely of the Kirby ideas anyway, and has some cool stuff with him.

I'm a vivid supporter of Kirby Representation in general :kirby:

___
Nominations: Micaiah (Fire Emblem) x5.
Well... It looks like the things hadn't changed a lot about Bandana Dee; so the scores are the same.

------

Elma

Elma

Elma depends in one thing to be in Smash... her timing against Rex's timing. Because otherwise she has the appeal and potential to be the best choice for next Xenoblade Character... Being part of one of few notable games in the 2014-2016 Years it helps her a lot.

Want: 55%

Well, I would prefer her over Rex, her design is cooler, and she will have actual gun power. And that is fun.

Micaiah (Fire Emblem) x5
It's confirmed now; Rex's timing would need something similar to Greninja sittuation (but to a bigger extent); and Elma was still relevant during the beginning of the Smash Developement; basically that converts Elma in one of the choices in the safest positions to be a playable character; I think right now he's only problem would be want would actually think Sakurai about her in the game; and how she would conflict with the rest of the game-play that it seems to be more fanservice.

Anyway; the new scores based in the new information.

Chance: 55%
Want: 55%

Predictions

Dixie Kong: 44.4%
Isaac: 15.5%

Nominations:

Leon Kennedy x5

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Bandana Dee

I guess it comes down to whether Sakurai can put aside any fears of being seen as biased towards a franchise he first created. While Bandana Dee technically debuted at Super Star, it was as a Level 1 opponent for a sub game. As much as I hate seeing the "Waddle Dee with a hat" dismissal, he kinda was just that in the context of Super Star. The remake expanded on the character by being Dedede's right hand man in the new Revenge of Dedede mode. Return of Dreamland made the Dee into a "player 4" type of character, and Triple Deluxe added "Bandana" to his name. Star Allies wasn't kidding, Dee has had good attendance these past couple of years.

Sakurai doesn't pretend the Kirby games he didn't make don't exist, but he did refrain from adding Dedede and Meta Knight before Brawl out of the fear of being seen as biased. Maybe that persisted in Smash 4. We know Wooly World was originally going to be an Epic Yarn stage. I don't think he scrapped the latter stage and replaced it with Great Cave Offensive. The game was probably gonna have both in, but with knowledge that Yoshi was gonna have a game with a similar aesthetic to Kirby's Epic Yarn, Sakurai made the switch. Could be to avoid Kirby bias, or Wooly World was more recent and would've benefited from getting at least a stage. Who knows really,

I don't see Bandana Dee as just "a Waddle Dee with a hat" like his detractors do. Besides, can Corrin use their dragon-like spear arms like a copter? I don't think so. Checkmate, detractors.

Elma

Chance: Abstain

It's weird of me to dismiss Elma. I started the Xenoblade series with X, then I got Shulk's game on the Wii U's VC, and then 2 for Christmas last year. I started Fire Emblem with Awakening, and while I'm not rooting for Chrom to get his chance, if he actually got added, I'd be surprised for sure, but I would welcome it, even if he's made into an Echo Fighter of Ike. I put over 300 hours of Xenoblade X. Why don't I feel the same about Elma? Well, I kind of did everything in that game as my Cross. The moment I found out I could actually remove Elma and Lin from my party, I never went back to them unless either one was required for a mission. Cross can never be kicked out of your party so you're stuck with the avatar forever.

X was more focused on the open world gameplay aspects than the story. It was just there. Tatsu was a stupid idiot for going to that place in Noctilum blatantly ignoring that the monsters there sense organic life. If only the Cavern Clan Prone ate Tatsu sooner, or if Lin would just cook him already. Plus, all the side missions in the game have the NPCs all talk to you, not Elma. Even if Elma is the lead party member, everyone speaks to Cross. Looking back at X after playing 1 & 2, I'm kinda annoyed that Elma and Lin were required to be on your party for the story missions instead of giving you the choice of them joining you as guests like Bootleg Potato Head always is. You don't need Shulk to fight the final boss. You can pull it off with some combination of the other six party members. And with Rex & Pyra, you can kick them out of your party the moment Vandham and Morag show up.

I grew more attached to the cast of 1 & 2 than with X. Only a few characters stood out to me (HB and Mia). X did have a lot of party members. I think more than 1 & 2 combined, but with the just there story, everyone not named Elma, or Lin were just there too. Elma's "equal" to the story in terms of importance would probably be Lao. Too bad Lao went rogue and got himself chimera'd. Sure, Elma can dual wield guns and swords, and use a mech. You know who else can use that combo? Cross. Even Fiora could pull off using dual swords, Elma's dual guns would be replaced with the drones on Fiora's back, and Fiora has herself a mech. Unfortunately, she was tacked on to Shulk's final smash. Is it weird for me to want Cross over Elma?
Female peppy voice better be an option! But they'll just use the first option....

Nominations
Rowlet x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
This isn't 0% just because he would be a somewhat amusing Pichu-esque joke character, as his "boss fight" in Super Star Ultra is hilarious. That boss fight is all I see when I see this character, it's the most memorable thing he's done for me. The fact his fandom doesn't embrace that aspect of him more and treats him as a capable fighter for some reason is largely a turn off, though.
Excuse me but what the heck are you talking about?
Why do you think that we should look at that joke fight from SSU and "embrace that aspect of him more"? That boss fight may have been a joke but that doesn't mean Dee himself is a joke character. He's long moved on from being a weak right hand with nothing to defend himself. And we treat him as an capable fighter because he is one. Have you not seen him in RtDL or Star Allies. You seem to be rating him like SSU is the only game he has under his belt.

Also your argument about him not showing up as an Assist is dumb. Thinking he'd be boring is again just an assumption and to be fair there are alot of Assist Trophies in Smash I'd consider boring myself. Samurai Goroh for example just runs around swinging his katana wildly around. The Hammer bro throws hammmers, nothing unusual bout that. Assist Trophies aren't desinged to be interesting.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Bandana Dee
Chance: 30%
He's the fourth member of the Kirby gang and while not as prominent as the original members he's getting there. He's popular and in a game focusing on that, that's good. If this was a normal Smash I'd say he be a pretty good pick for playable but I feel there were more popular characters than him during the ballot that will take priority.

I'd be pretty indifferent to this guy but he sort of become the face of the "Wow a weapon that's not a sword he' 100% unique and interesting" argument that is just so dumb and won't die. Still, the character is fine in my books so I'm trying not to let other people's silly opinions sour me but it's just so annoying to see that the fact he has a spear is listed as a reason he should be included.

Elma
Chance 0%
She's not happening. With Rex and Pyra's design being done sometime before April 2016 and the Smash project plan being done in 2015 there is a very small chance they were done in time to be considered and so Elma is getting in for sure. Right? Nope. Again if this was a normal Smash situation yeah she would be a pretty good lock but let's be real here she didn't do well enough on the ballot to be made playable and DLC will go to Rex and Pyra. Unfortunately, Elma is just one of those characters where the stars aligned against her and so she won't be in Smash.

Want 20%
I just don't want Elma. She wouldn't be as interesting as Rex and Pyra and X was the weakest Xeno game across the board. I do want more Xeno characters in Smash but she represents the game I had the least fun with in the series since Smash is a celebration of games I can't say I want to celebrate X when Fie, KOS-MOS, and of course Rex and Pyra all exist even if they aren't all realistic possibilities. She could have a fun and interesting moveset but so could the other characters I mentioned plus countless others. I wouldn't be excited for her inclusion at all but she is a Xenoblade character and would mean more Xenoblade in Smash plus even if X was a weak Xeno game it was pretty good so that's why my want isn't at 0.

noms: Ray x5
Elma
Abstained
I don't know much about xenoblade x but I know that it is a spin off and that's at a strange place to be in for newcomers.
X isn't a spin-off mate.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
1/3 What does Dee already have going for him
Let's recap...
-Uses a weapon not seen before on the roster
The thing is that the reason a spear would be interesting would be because of how it affects gameplay. Corrin already has attacks that essentially mimic a spear and she has more reach than a stubby-armed Waddle Dee would likely have. I'm not sure what new Bandana Dee would bring by using a spear, when his reach would probably be even less than some of the sword-users.
''He's a generic member of his species, you can compare him to a Goomba with a hat''

This is Bandana Dee's ''Too big.'' Difference is that this argument is putting words in Sakurai mouth. Try to find one instance where a character didn't make it because of this.
There are tons of generic enemies that aren't playable. Aside from their more generic counterparts, there is no Goombario/Goombella, no Kooper, no Omega Pirate. I'm not saying they have as good an argument for inclusion, by any means, but there are plenty of Elite Mooks that never become playable. In fact, Bandana Dee would be the first and only Elite Mook added as a fighter. It can definitely still happen, but you can't claim that it has any precedent.
Personally I really doubt he cares with us having Pokemon
Pokemon is a wildly different series from Kirby, and Pokemon being "species" doesn't have any bearing on whether "generic species" from other games should get in. Including Pokemon as "species" is the only way that makes any sense for Pokemon characters to be included in the first place. Kirby, on the other hand, isn't a game based around collecting hundreds of species of animals and then fighting them against each other while the main character never participates in battle personally. This is an incredibly weak comparison.
:ultyoshi: and :ultrob: on the roster. Unlike Bandana Dee, those characters don't even differentiate themselves from all the other individuals in their species.
Let me show you the difference between Yoshi and Bandana Dee, from one year after Yoshi's first appearance:

Yoshi also debuted as an ally of Mario and got literally 3 games with his name on them within 3 years of his debut (Yoshi, Yoshi's Cookie and Yoshi's Safari) and then Yoshi's Island a couple years after that. Yoshi had multiple million+ selling starring titles before Smash 64 debuted. Bandana Dee is not Yoshi, they are not even in the same universe, it's ridiculous to act like Yoshi is a precedent for Bandana Dee, just stop.

I also don't know where this idea that R.O.B. is something like a generic mook came from unless you think his first appearance in a video game was Brawl. R.O.B. was a physical accessory for the NES and in the two games that used him, he (singular) was the creation of Professor Hector, NOT a generic mook or species. The fact that Sakurai used ROB as a generic mook in the Subspace Emissary does not mean that's what R.O.B. is. He got in as retro/Nintendo history character also, which would not apply to Bandana Dee.

All three of these analogies about generic species are horrible bases for saying Bandana Dee is likely. Pokemon, Yoshi and R.O.B. have very different things going for them from Bandana Dee, and much stronger arguments for their inclusions.
''Kirby doesn't need a 4th rep''

These aren't the Brawl days anymore. The Kirby series has grown significantly to the point where a 4th character feels more than justified. BTW Fire Emblem didn't really ''need'' a 6th rep yet Sakurai put Corrin in anyway. And that franchise hasn't sold near the amount of games the Kirby series has sold. Regardless it doesn't matter since Sakurai doesn't really look at the roster in terms of reps anyway.
Sales figures do not determine roster inclusions according to some mathematical formula. But they do matter. That said, at the size of the roster we have now, Kirby's sales are not a problem - it has plenty enough sales to justify a 4th character. So I wouldn't say Kirby isn't big enough (although I would note that DK has significantly higher sales but not even a 3rd rep).
Geno is unimportant to the Mario series, yet Sakurai himself wants him.
This I'm just curious about. Link?
Neither are clones like :ultdoc::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit:and:ultpichu:.
You're not arguing for Bandana Dee to be a clone, though. Clones obviously tend to be less important. And for another, Mario has sold over half a billion games. Mario shouldn't really be treated as analogous to smaller series. Pokemon is similarly just in a different universe in sales numbers. They could make Birdo and Waluigi and Baby Mario and Mallow playable and it wouldn't mean squat about series like Metroid or Kirby.
I'd also argue when the roster for Smash 4 was decided :ultrosalina:wasn't all that important to the whole Mario franchise.
See, but Mario Galaxy was a tentpole game. The two Mario Galaxy games sold almost half as many copies as the entire Kirby series. Sales aren't everything, but you can't just ignore huge disparities like that. If the Mario Galaxy games weren't Mario games, you'd never even dare to suggest that she was unimportant compared to Bandana Dee.
Also if Bandana Dee really was just multiplayer filler, then why do we see him consistantly show up in most Kirby games?
Because most of them are multiplayer? Sorry, you just left that one wide open.
Diddy Kong didn't have a trophy in Melee, neither did characters like Rosalina or Duck Hunt have one in Brawl.
Melee had far fewer trophies in general and was rushed. Super Mario Galaxy came out about the same time as Brawl, and we didn't get any content from it in Smash until Smash 4.
Finally I'll show the thing that made give him such a high score.
It's his description when playing as him in Star Allies and pausing the game.

Doesn't this seem suspicious? You cannot tell me with a straight face this isn't HAL basically hinting at him being playable.
Sure I can. His own series giving him praise is like me telling you that my mom says I'm awesome and using that as evidence. And not everything is about Smash. There's nothing about this that would be nonsensical if he weren't playable in Smash.

The argument about game data concerning amiibo is a lot more convincing than the fact that his character description in his own game says nice things about him.
You can say I'm looking to deep into this, but did anyone here recall that easter egg in Bayonetta 2 on Switch?
That is basically an explicit reference to Smash Bros. What you're pointing to is not. You don't need to read the tea leaves to think that "you should bring me along" to your "fight club" means "include Rodin in Smash in some way".
-Likely popular during the Ballot, which likely will play a big role in Smash Ultimate.
This I grant you and is the most important piece of evidence.
-Doesn't really have anything major going against him, with arguments detracting him being weak and don't carry much weight.
Most of your "debunkings" on the other hand, are very weak and based around acting like Kirby and Mario/Pokemon are series on equal footing when they're very clearly not.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Bandana Dee
Chance: 30%
He's the fourth member of the Kirby gang and while not as prominent as the original members he's getting there. He's popular and in a game focusing on that, that's good. If this was a normal Smash I'd say he be a pretty good pick for playable but I feel there were more popular characters than him during the ballot that will take priority.

I'd be pretty indifferent to this guy but he sort of become the face of the "Wow a weapon that's not a sword he' 100% unique and interesting" argument that is just so dumb and won't die. Still, the character is fine in my books so I'm trying not to let other people's silly opinions sour me but it's just so annoying to see that the fact he has a spear is listed as a reason he should be included.

Elma
Chance 0%
She's not happening. With Rex and Pyra's design being done sometime before April 2016 and the Smash project plan being done in 2015 there is a very small chance they were done in time to be considered and so Elma is getting in for sure. Right? Nope. Again if this was a normal Smash situation yeah she would be a pretty good lock but let's be real here she didn't do well enough on the ballot to be made playable and DLC will go to Rex and Pyra. Unfortunately, Elma is just one of those characters where the stars aligned against her and so she won't be in Smash.

Want 20%
I just don't want Elma. She wouldn't be as interesting as Rex and Pyra and X was the weakest Xeno game across the board. I do want more Xeno characters in Smash but she represents the game I had the least fun with in the series since Smash is a celebration of games I can't say I want to celebrate X when Fie, KOS-MOS, and of course Rex and Pyra all exist even if they aren't all realistic possibilities. She could have a fun and interesting moveset but so could the other characters I mentioned plus countless others. I wouldn't be excited for her inclusion at all but she is a Xenoblade character and would mean more Xenoblade in Smash plus even if X was a weak Xeno game it was pretty good so that's why my want isn't at 0.

noms: Ray x5

X isn't a spin-off mate.
Then what is it. it's not the next main line sequel to xenoblade it would have been called xenoblade 2.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Then what is it. it's not the next main line sequel to xenoblade it would have been called xenoblade 2.
Technically it is the sequel to Xenoblade. It's kind of like how Final Fantasy 1 and 2 have nothing to do with each other. X is another entry in the series it just has it's own story. I know that seems a little weird since the very next game was Xenoblade 2 but X is the second game and 2 is the third but called 2 because it follows up on the first game's story.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Excuse me but what the heck are you talking about?
Why do you think that we should look at that joke fight from SSU and "embrace that aspect of him more"? That boss fight may have been a joke but that doesn't mean Dee himself is a joke character. He's long moved on from being a weak right hand with nothing to defend himself. And we treat him as an capable fighter because he is one. Have you not seen him in RtDL or Star Allies. You seem to be rating him like SSU is the only game he has under his belt.

Also your argument about him not showing up as an Assist is dumb. Thinking he'd be boring is again just an assumption and to be fair there are alot of Assist Trophies in Smash I'd consider boring myself. Samurai Goroh for example just runs around swinging his katana wildly around. The Hammer bro throws hammmers, nothing unusual bout that. Assist Trophies aren't desinged to be interesting.
A Goomba with a spear that's been promoted to playable character status is less memorable to me than a joke character. I thought he stood out more as a joke. It's just my opinion, and I'm aware it's an incredibly fringe opinion. I'm not expecting to convert anybody with such a line of reasoning. That's why it's under the "want" section.

You have a very fair point about a lot of assists being bland, but a lot of them have gimmicks as well. I think the biggest gimmick you could get is having him be a Goldeen "dud" assist trophy, but that would not happen because his fans would find that too insulting.

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Bandana Dee

Chance: 80%
Opinion hasn't changed (minus being 5% less positive nya) nya. Still the likeliest Kirby nyucomer in my eyes nya~

Want: 90%
Opinion hasn't changed nya. A cute little orange ball wearing a bandana poking opponents eyeballs out is still a kink of mine nya.

Elma

Chance: 60%
Opinion has changed a little with the nyu info we got nyasterday nya. I believe she is fairly possible nyao nya~ Rex & Pyra do exist, but I'm starting to think they'll be dlc nyao nya. Wish we got this info sooner nyaaa~

Want: 75%
She is fine and I'd like to see her nya, but I'd personally prefer to see Rex & Pyra if we can't get both XCX and XC2 nya.
Nyot much to add, but I think she'd be fun nya~

Nyominations
Tingle: x5

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Technically it is the sequel to Xenoblade. It's kind of like how Final Fantasy 1 and 2 have nothing to do with each other. X is another entry in the series it just has it's own story. I know that seems a little weird since the very next game was Xenoblade 2 but X is the second game and 2 is the third but called 2 because it follows up on the first game's story.
The way I see it. X is to xenoblade as to megaman X is to Megaman.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If the numbered titles follow a same story and the other game doesn’t, we’ve got a clear case of a main series and a spin-off.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Bandanna Dee:
It's sort of hard to say, but I do think he's got a decent shot. My main concern is that Sakurai might have believed that the Kirby representation was good enough as is, and left it at that. However, Bandanna Dee has been established as a main character in the Kirby franchise, being featured in every game since Mass Attack one way or another, and even being featured on the Club Nintendo Kirby 20th anniversary badge right with Kirby, Meta Knight, and Dedede. I'm sure that Sakurai had to have taken notice of his character at this point, and perhaps consider him worthy to add in to complete the main Kirby cast. Perhaps he may even have some nifty ideas for his spear that me may want to implement. Considering the large influence the ballot will most likely have on the characters this time around, I think his sizable fanbase means that he's got a chance.

Want: 99%
The missing 1% is only because I want K. Rool just the tiniest bit more, and as such, Bandanna Dee is the newcomer I want the most right next to K. Rool. I love the little guy, from his cowardly yet charming debut as a proper character in Super Star Ultra, to his clumsy but persistent personality in games like Battle Royale. I really love the Returns to Dreamland crew, and I'd really love to see them all together, I just think they're such a good looking group. I'd like to see how his spear and perhaps parasol could be used in Smash, and he's just adorable. Plus, I really do think Kirby should have a fourth representative.

Elma:
Dunno about this one. Truth be told, I played Xenoblade Chronicles X for a bit, thought it was kinda neat, then dropped it for years. I dunno, it didn't really click with me I guess. But that means I don't really know Elma's significance very well, but people say that she's important, so I guess I'm inclined to say she's likely, especially since Sakurai is apparently a fan of Xenoblade.

Ehh, like I said, I bought XCX, and didn't really think all that much of it. On that note, I don't really think much of Elma. She's another armored anime-esque pretty human character that has good moveset potential for sure, but I can't say I'm all that interested in her. She would be another female character, which is cool, but I still can't muster much interest. Plus, (this is just a personal thing) The absolutely horrendous facial animations in XCX (or lack thereof) makes her just seem like a plank of wood to me. I'm sorry, I'm sure she has plenty of character depth later in the game, but when I see her react to a bunch of dead soldiers with the exact same dull straight face that she has on 24/7, it just makes her seem stiff, unexpressive, and uninteresting. This goes for the almost the entire human cast of XCX to be fair, but just something I feel. Perhaps I wouldn't feel that way if I got through more of the game, but that's where I stand as of now.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
If the numbered titles follow a same story and the other game doesn’t, we’ve got a clear case of a main series and a spin-off.
Except it's not. Xenoblade Chronicles X is a main game not a spin-off. It's just like Fire Emblem, the second game in the series has nothing to do with the first and the very next game continues the story of the first game but they are all main entries.

Top Bottom