• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Chance ABSTAIN

Want 100

I love the music. And if Andy makes his way in, maybe Sami could be an Echo Fighter? I always liked her for some reason. AW really deserves some more light than its getting right now and I think it'd be great to see it in Smash. More artillery users are always welcome, we only have Snake so far.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Andy

Chance - 0.05% - The last Advanced Wars game was ages ago. Sadly he never managed to get the recognition during his time, and now that time has passed. If he couldn't get in while he was in his prime, it's hard to argue when your series has seemingly been abandoned recently.

Want - 75% - Andy could be cool. Envisioning him as being able to summon tanks, solders, Anti-air support, etc. really makes me wonder how he would play. It's an interesting enough concept to get my vote.

Prediction

Ezio - 2.5% - I don't think he will do well, but who knows...

Nomination

Monster Hunter X5

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Andy want: 100% the game deserves some real representation.

Chance: lower than I’d like it to be.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Gotta get my write up ready but until then...

Fair warning to anyone using the Toy Story meme. You have been warned...

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Ura is gonna eliminate half of Smashboards if you keep making Toy Story jokes.

EDIT: How the ****!?

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Not Andy (wait he is?)
Chance:0%: Not gonna happen. you have paper mario, FE, and Isaac. All are far more popular. Intelligent Systems would have Paper Mario put in. so no.
want: 50%: Never played advance wars but has potential. paper Mario and Black Knight and Isaac would be preferable.
Nominations: Black Mage x5

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Andy:
Chance: 0%-Well, I can see DLC pack for him working, but my problem is simply that Advance Wars has spent over a decade inactive, and that just makes me think there's no desire to bring it back. I know F-Zero has been dormant too, but Captain Falcon was included in the first game, in a time when the franchise was active, hence his perfect assistance record. Also, I see all five characters being third-party, so much less reason to see this guy coming.
Want: 0%-I was just never interested in Advance Wars. I saw some gameplay videos of it, and it just didn't click on me. Oh, and I don't find Andy to be any more appealing in design when compared to other military characters like Doom Marine or Leon S. Kennedy.
Also, this has nothing to do with my chance or want rates, but I saw that scrapped Project M Sami, and I so did not like the idea it brought into some people about having her replace Snake for the sake of more first-party characters.
Nominations: Dante x5

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
What's possibly the most boring name and design for a Smash contender I've seen.
Chance: 1%
Want: 25%

-Irrelevant
-Series is dead
-Not popular
-Is a spirit
-Infantry and Tanks AT removed, which isn't a great sign for the series.
-Wouldn't cause much hype, and Reggie mentioned that Sakurai's team is aiming for characters that would get the community talking.
-Intelligent Systems works on Advance Wars. They also work on, guess what: FIRE EMBLEM! Say hello to Edelgard next fighters pass instead of more deserving characters like Paper Mario, who Intelligent Systems also works on.

Andy's feels like one of those characters that is just "there". His design is boring, and his name doesn't stand out at all either. It's like asking for "Jimmy" or "Chris" to be in Smash, when their name doesn't make them stand out or sound like anything special. Most characters with human sounding names usually have a last name or nickname to make them stand out from other characters with the same name. Without it, they just sound like an ordinary person. (Outside of gaming icons like Mario of course.) Simon Belmont is at least recognizable due to this, and his games are a classic. This is very nitpicky, but this is just my opinion after all. Advance Wars is somewhat forgettable. He does have some moveset potential, but honestly, I don't care enough about this character.

Ezio: 2.73% (probably not gonna happen)

Magikarp x5

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Gonna re-post what I said back in March. Although my Chance rating will be different given all that has happened in the past 10 months.

Before I begin I want to give you guys my sales pitch for Andy. I know he's not going to have the greatest of chances obviously (thanks daddy Intelligent Systems) but hopefully i'll influence you guys to give him a high want scores. Gonna have to abridge this somewhat because i'm a bit under the weather.

So what's that Advance Wars thing you're so passionate about Crazy Uncle Ura?

If you haven't already, you need to play Advance Wars (any one of the four games released worldwide) and see for yourself how fun and addicting the game is. If you still own a Wii U you can get Advance Wars 1-3 on the Virtual Console. Said alternative would be the best way to support the official release but otherwise you can look to alternative means like finding a used copy or something.

Advance Wars is the critically acclaimed turn-based strategy game made by Intelligent Systems. It's roots goes all the way back to 1988 when the franchise debuted on the NES as Famicom Wars. With that, the franchise is one of Nintendo's most senior franchises ever with only a handful of series that predate Wars (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Punch-Out, and the retro's) and is older than it's fellow TBS series; Fire Emblem. Wars is also a franchise that had perfect attendance on every Nintendo system prior to it's absence in the 2010's (spawning 12 games across the NES, SNES, Game Boy/Colour, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, and the Gamecube). The only exception to this is the N64 which actually had a game in development that got cancelled.

As you can see, this is a franchise with so much historical significance to Nintendo's history.

Despite what people might say, Advance Wars is not a "modern Fire Emblem (technically Fire Emblem is a medieval Advance Wars when you think about it lol). AW plays competently different from it's sister series. For an example, where Fire Emblem puts an emphasis on building relationships between characters and keeping your units alive, Advance Wars is all about that pure strategy experience with all the different kinds of units that can be used. I would also argue that while Fire Emblem is the better of the two in the story/narrative department, Advance Wars' gameplay is way more complex and requires for much better strategic planning. Really, the only two similarities between the two are that they're both TBS games.

It's also a misconception that "units are expendable" in Advance Wars which does have some truth to it but doesn't paint the whole story. In Advance Wars, you want to keep certain units alive on the battlefield to obtain a strategic advantage over your foes. If you just brain dead build a Neo Tank and send it to die a death, then you're not playing the game right. You also have to consider the money aspect of the franchise so naturally the more you spend on a unit (more so the much more expensive ones) you'll have more emphasis to keep those units alive. Your resources are only so limited and you want to make the best decisions that will lead you to victory.

Outside of the game itself, the series has achieved massive critical acclaim from critics all across the spectrum. Advance Wars was also retroactively awarded a perfect 10/10 score from Edge magazine and is in the elite camp of a dozen or two games that have gotten that rating along with Ocarina of Time/Breath of The Wild and Super Mario 64/Galaxy.

Fans have also been clamoring for the series to return as well. rNintendoSwitch did a poll asking what series not yet on the Switch they wanted to see on the console and Wars was voted in the Top 5 with nearly 4,000 votes accounted for (after Smash Bros was revealed of course). Indie titles like Wargroove and Tiny Metal show that interest in the AW genre is still alive and well despite the series' absence.

Okay so what about the goofy, dim-witted wrench kid anyways?

To put it simply, Andy is the face of Wars as a whole. He's the first central character of his franchise and is pretty much to Wars what Marth is to Fire Emblem. It's a common mistake among some people that Max and Sami are on equal footing on Andy when it comes to series importance. This just isn't true. Andy is the main character throughout the entire campaign and in the last AW1 mission he's mandatory to use while Max/Sami are optional if you met certain criteria. Even the Advance Wars logo itself bares Andy's signature wrench as it did for that game and all of the Wars World Trilogy

Yeah Andy wasn't the main character in every AW game but the other main characters of the franchise don't have as much importance as he does. Jake was the co-protagonist of Dual Stike alongside Rachel and Will was the main character of a game that was a serious departure to the classic style of Advance Wars. Andy himself represents the goofy, cheerful feel of the franchise better than anyone in the series and when it comes down to it he would have the most to offer as a Smash Bros character with his unique wrench gimmick (will explain later).

So now that I talked about Andy's importance to his own franchise, what about the Hyperactive Whiz Kid himself?

Andy at the start of the first Advance Wars is a new CO to the Orange Star Army (Orange Star being one of the four nations in Wars World; the setting in which Advance Wars 1-3 take place). Andy is a bit dim-witted and usually requires the aid of his strategic advisor for the fundamentals of the game. Even despite this, Andy is a bold, friendly, and courageous CO that will do anything to help those around him. Throughout the entire game, Andy is blamed by fellow nations Blue Moon, Yellow Comet, and Green Earth for attacks done on it's nations and the whole story revolves around Andy and co. fighting their way against all these factions. This goes on until it's revealed that it wasn't Andy who did the attacks but rather a clone of Andy created by the otherworldly, diabolical tyrant known as Sturm; the leader of a nation know as Black Hole. In a bid to claim Wars World for himself, Sturm orchestrated all the chaos in order to conquer all the nations amidst their unrest. However, Sturm's plot was discovered and foiled by Andy & co. who teamed together for the final conflict of the game and ended the tyrant's ambition. Andy himself is the central force against Sturm in the final mission and he's the one who takes center position against Sturm (the only CO that's mandatory to use in the game). It's here where his personality truly shows off where despite the odds heavily against him, Andy had none of Sturm's ambitions and motivates everyone to take him head on despite Sonja's plea to escape.

In the sequel; Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising, Sturm returns making good on his promise to take revenge on the nations of Wars World. Andy is once again thrust in to battle as he and fellow Orange Star CO's are responsible in liberating their nation from Black Hole's grasp. While AW2 doesn't have a central character the way it did before, Andy is still the most important character of the franchise once again. He's the leading force against Sturm once again in the end of the game and displays his courageous, fearless attitude where he takes Sturm head on despite knowing that doing so could result in his death. Even right at the end of the story, Andy is the only CO among the Allied Nations to stand up to Sturm when the latter attempts to self-destruct and kill all the allied CO's. Just watch the ending of AW2 and see for yourself. Even with Advance Wars not being a story heavy game, Andy's personality clearly shines bright here and we see just how far his courage will take him if it meant the safety of his friends and the world around him.

In Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Andy is not featured in the story as Jake/Rachel take on the mantel of lead protags. Despite this however, it's stated in the story of Dual Strike that Andy became a legend throughout Wars World for his efforts in putting an end to Sturm's ambition on two different occasions. Andy, however remains playable in Dual Strike despite not being apart of the campaign.

Andy: A Good Wrench Boy

and also someone that needs to be in smash like right now lol

Link to Artist

Chance: 5%

I'll admit i'm being pretty liberal with this chance rating but hear me out. Advance Wars was notable given that it was the only series that wasn't your throwaway one-off game hardly anyone knows about that didn't have one of the following...

A) An Assist Trophy (which was mysteriously cut from Ultimate despite having perfect attendance before)
B) A Mii Costume
C) Any Music Track

Don't you think there would be some sort of significant representation for a series that has such a prominent history on Nintendo platforms? Given this is a franchise that's spanned practically every Nintendo platform; console or handheld prior to the Wii U/3DS era. But no, strangely there's absolutely none of that sans the 4 Spirits (which further goes to show Wars is a series notable enough to have more than just a couple of Spirits). I don't think Sakurai would do the franchise dirty like that without having something in mind. Especially given the Infantry & Tanks Assist Trophy isn't something too difficult to program I would imagine. It's literally GBA-sprites given 3D form. And something that could easily be ported over from the Wii U. Of course, I could be grasping here but it's still worth mentioning.

Then of course, we had the Advance Wars trademark from this past December. Probably doesn't mean much but I did hear from someone that it was renewed outside it's 10 year mark. Golden Sun/Rhythm Heaven had the same thing happen in August so maybe not the best piece of evidence. At the same time, this was after Smash Ultimate released unlike all those other trademarks. I would think this would maybe entail a Mii Costume if nothing else? Most 1st party Nintendo franchises already have one so I see it as a possibility.

And lastly, the Wargroove factor. Unlike all the other AW-inspired indies, Wargroove seems to be the only one to really hit it's stride and achieve success on a much bigger scale than Tiny Metal/Into the Breach (and one that faithfully captures the spirit of Advance Wars at that). Wargroove topped the E-Shop Charts almost immediately after it launched so it's not hard to imagine that Wargroove is a million+ seller easily on all 3 platforms if not the Switch alone. And given all the pre-release hype for it, Intelligent Systems must have taken notice. If not then, then especially now since it's proven that Advance Wars is still marketable and profitable in the year 2019. IMO, that bodes well for Wars even if it doesn't have a character on the Fighter's Pass. I believe it's likely that the series gets revived by 2021 based on all this.

Aside from that, Andy's only chance of being DLC is if Intelligent Systems were working on a new Advance Wars since 2017/2018 and they planned to have him in to promote the release of said game which is really stretching things. I just hope there's another DLC Wave and Wars is revived in time for that.

Want: 100% (1000000% if I could)

Anyone who remotely knows me on this site knows how badly I want this character in Smash Bros. This is a series that i've been a fan of for the past 15 years and was a big part of my childhood growing up. I miss the Wars World Cast and the overall Advance Wars experience. It's unlike any other turn-based strategy game out there and I can sink in hours easily. The game's strategic depth keeps the player hooked and the kickass metal tracks that play give you the adrenaline, dopamine rush to lay the Smackdown on your opponent lol.

AW easily translates to a Smash setting as well. Given the units from the series, there's virtually no end to the moveset potential Andy would bring. That and of course, unique wrench attacks Sakurai can take liberty with. I gave a more in-depth moveset analysis in another thread so i'll post it here. Though it is mostly an overview.

The moveset would deal with Andy using his wrenches as his melee attacks and would have unique attributes to them like catching items, trapping foes, and healing his damaged units. As I said, this is where Sakurai would take creative liberties with Andy's moveset like how he did Falcon and Fox.

Andy's specials would reflect the Advance Wars series in that he purchases units from a fund counter (displayed in his stock icon). The more damage Andy inflicts and takes, the more funds he gets. His Down special would let him create a city that speeds up the funds he gets (as is the case with Advance Wars). Then of course his Neutral special would be him buying the units through a small sub-menu (think Shulk's Monado Arts kinda) but it cycles through the various different Advance Wars units (Infantry, Tanks, Indirect Units, Sea Units, and of course Air Units) all priced differently. The Up special would be something like a T-Copter or a B-Copter and his Side special would be a Mech rocket like Snakes's although it's faster but can't be controlled (like how it is in Advance Wars). Andy's Final Smash would be a Megatank (from Dual Strike) wielded by Max that goes trigger happy, obliterating everyone in it's path. Either that or a Carpet Bomb from the Bomber/Fighter units.

If Sakurai wanted to include CO Powers in the mix, Hyper Repair and/or Hyper Upgrade can be thrown in as a separate mechanic or even his Final Smash (healing himself and getting a stats upgrade, possibly even getting his units upgraded as well). Though with his Fund system, that might be a bit too much for a beginner to take in.
Want: 0%-I was just never interested in Advance Wars. I saw some gameplay videos of it, and it just didn't click on me. Oh, and I don't find Andy to be any more appealing in design when compared to other military characters like Doom Marine or Leon S. Kennedy.
Also, this has nothing to do with my chance or want rates, but I saw that scrapped Project M Sami, and I so did not like the idea it brought into some people about having her replace Snake for the sake of more first-party characters.
Nominations: Dante x5
The Scrapped PM build of Sami has absolutely nothing to do with Andy or Advance Wars for that matter and her design was essentially a semi-clone of Snake. And Advance Wars is a lighthearted war game (sans Days of Ruin) so I don't know what you're expecting comparing it to Doom Marine really.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ura Ura 's asking for it...

Holy ****, can we take a second to appreciate how well computer animation has aged...?

Want: 0%

Beyond the standard "This'll probably be an all-third-party DLC pass," "He's already a spirit," and "The game's reasonably niche" arguments, there's not much to say. IS found an IP that has staying power, so this decade-old niche series looks like it's pretty well DOA at this point. And if the DLC needs to sell, choosing a character who's from a niche, decades-old game is probably not the best way to go.

Besides, Andy's also been odd to me: he's supposed to be the commander of an entire army, but the character looks no older than about 15. What is this, the middle ages?

The game itself also lost the representation it had now that the Advance Wars assist is gone. Andy himself finally got representation in Smash at all with a Spirit - he never even got a trophy - so I think that's about all that he can hope for. I'll keep the 1% chance on the off chance that anything can happen, but without a massive fan pull, I can't see anyone who's been dormant that long getting anything.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
The Scrapped PM build of Sami has absolutely nothing to do with Andy or Advance Wars for that matter and her design was essentially a semi-clone of Snake.
I know, I just kind of felt like recalling it since we're talking about Advance Wars. Sorry if I didn't point that out.
And Advance Wars is a lighthearted war game (sans Days of Ruin) so I don't know what you're expecting comparing it to Doom Marine really.
I've played with military fighters in other games (see Stryker, Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine for reference on that), so in comparison to them, I expect Andy to be a lot much goofier than them, and a lot less brutal (not gory, just brutal).

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I've played with military fighters in other games (see Stryker, Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine for reference on that), so in comparison to them, I expect Andy to be a lot much goofier than them, and a lot less brutal (not gory, just brutal).
Well yeah, that's without question. Andy's playstyle would fit a Nintendo-fighting game to a tee. Happy go-lucky madness and cutsey sprites/animations. Nothing like any of those examples.
-Wouldn't cause any hype. At all. I'm serious.
You can dislike the character/series all you want but making a claim like that is false and completely disingenuous.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
(double post plz delete)

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
"Andy remember, friends stick together till the end." -Andy's Favorite Toy
Chance: .01%
Ignoring the spirit, we have to remember that the Advance Wars series has been ignored in favor of Fire Emblem.
Want: 45%
It would be cool to get an Advanced War character, but he isn't a top choice for me personally.

Nominations
1x Decidueye
2x Persona Mii Costume
1x Monokuma
1x Tracer

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Would do noms first but I definitely have to rate Andy omg

Advance Wars, or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and What’s an Airport

He’s a Spirit. He’s first party. Advance Wars seems to be in Ultimate what Golden Sun was in Smash 4: a ‘whatever, cut it, nobody cares’.

Plot twist Nintendo, a **** ton of people care.

But regardless, the only way he could make it in is if IS had been secretly making an Advance Wars remake/reboot parallel to Three Houses and were to be ready to announce it before Feb 2020. Plus it would have had to be in development longer than Arms, Xenoblade 2, FE Three Houses and Pokémon Gen 9. In other words, kind of a long shot.

Want: 100%
Real talk: people want Advance Wars back. Like, a lot of people. It constantly wins or is a runner up to F-Zero in ‘series that need a revival’ polls. Wargroove is also doing crazy business. So AW is not niche or forgotten. Andy himself is not a big hitter for Smash, but he is big enough that I would have expected him to have a huge growth had all or most of the fanbases gotten what they wished for (say, in a Grinch is real universe). Not a bad spot to be in.

Andy would bring so much to the table. A different personality from other Smash fighters. Awesome music. Creative stage choices. And most of all, a complex and unique moveset. You tired of anime swordfighters? This is a cartoon wrenchfighter! Put your money where your mouth is and support Andy!

This is also kind of a closet thing for me, but ah well, it had to be known eventually. I actually want Andy more than Isaac (sorry Isaac bros, you’ve been so good to me). So yeah, this had to be 100%

Noms: Ryota Hayami x5

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Andy

Welp, he's getting rated in large part due to the number of noms I threw his way, so here goes.

Chance: 5%
Perhaps a bit high, but basically his chances for DLC would rest on a new Advance Wars game being in the pipeline. As unlikely as a new Wars game would be for this year, IS is wrapping up with Three Houses and so there will soon be room for another non-FE title if they so choose. The success of Wargroove shows there's still a market for these kinds of games, so I don't think the franchise is dead yet. But without a recent game and without being a third party, his chances for DLC are not that great, unfortunately.

Want: 99%
Well this is about as high a score as I can give anybody. Andy is No. 2 on my list of requests for Smash, and really he's pretty much tied with Isaac for No. 1. Advance Wars is one of the most overlooked franchises when it comes to Smash, and it's level of representation severely undersells how big of a series this has been. Simply put, Andy is one of the most important Nintendo characters of his era, and it also happens to be that his era is severely underrepresented in general. The kid is brimming with personality, and that personality happens to be extremely reflective of his series as a whole. People say they can't imagine a CO in Smash, but Andy can dance just fine; his moveset would involve calling on the help of his various minions, potentially grabbing onto a Battle Copter to recover, zooming forward inside an APC, or pulling out an Artillery unit to launch a powerful projectile. His healing abilities and wrenches could also make for unique mechanics when translated into a Smash moveset. He definitely has the potential to be a really fun character overall, and even more crucially, he represents a franchise that's desperate for a level of attention that matches its track record of critical success.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The success of Wargroove shows there's still a market for these kinds of games, so I don't think the franchise is dead yet.
This is something people (or at least some folks in this thread) like to conveniently forget for the sake of their own narrative. Wargroove did crazy well both critically and commercially. The demand for games in the style of Advance Wars is very much present and Nintendo/Intelligent Systems knows this (if they don't then they're living under a rock). If it wasn't a proven fact before, it is now. I would argue that the situation in 2019 is so much different then it ever has this past decade on that alone.

But y'know, you're still going to have the folks that paint the doom and gloom image. "Lol AW is dead IS only cares about FE". Not much to argue when you keep going back to the same thing.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
O I do think we will get another AW. Just think not getting AW as a character. Intelligent Systems will put inn Paper Mario IMO as there next char.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Dante x190
Concept: 100 characters (counting Echo Fighters and Miis/Pokémon Trainer as 3) x180
Concept: World of Light expansion x180
Maxwell (Scribblenauts) x179
Concept: No fan favorite/highly requested characters x165
Concept: Style Savvy rep x165
Magikarp x164

200 - 151

Ryota Hayami x155

150 - 101

Hat Kid x150
Cranky Kong x150
Q*Bert x149
Kat & Ana x145
Sly Cooper x145
Bonkers (Kirby) x130
Concept: Boss Rush x130
Poochy x125
Monster Hunter x125
Tracer x121
Amy Rose x115
Vaati x115
Brash the Bear x115
Concept: Undertale rep x115
Impa x101
Porky Minch x101

100 - 51

Nathan Drake x100
Concept: Microsoft Rep x100
Aloy x100
Protector (Etrian Odyssey) x100
Concept: Third-party character from unrepped Company x95
Lora (Xenoblade) x95
Boss: Kracko x85
Freddi Fish and Luther (Freddi Fish) x80
9-Volt x74
Spyro x67
[Rerate] Erdrick x65
Ryu Hayabusa x65
Creeper x62

50 - 25

Yuri Lowell x50
Papyrus x41
Frisk x40
Frogger x40
Ninten x40
Noctis Lucis Caelum x40
Concept: Assist Trophy becomes Fighter x30
Thrall (Warcraft) x25
Cooking Mama x25
Black Mage (Final Fantasy) x25

Under 25

Boss: Perfect Chaos x20
Kamek x20
Earthworm Jim x20
Gooey (Kirby) x20
[Rerate] 2B x20
Decidueye x19
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Pyra & Mythra (sans Rex) x15
Reporter & Wrestler x15
Tetromino x15
Metal Sonic x15
Jin Kazama x15
Adeleine (Kirby) x12
Brian (Quest 64) x12
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x10
Concept: Bethesda rep x10
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x10
Amaterasu x10
Beat (Jet Set Radio) x10
Tora and Poppi x10
Concept: Spectator Emotes x10
Concept: Spirits aren’t disconfirmations x10
Saber (Fate) x10
Blacephalon x5
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x5
Monokuma x5
Concept: Another joke character x5
Neptune x5
Concept: Crazi Taxi rep x5
Oliver (Ni No Kuni) x5
Concept: Free updates (Splatoon-style) x5
Courier (Fallout) x5
Scorpion x5
Concept: Another literally who Level-5 Character who's popular in Japan, like Achilles or Mark Evans x5
Starman (Pro Wrestling) x5
Black Shadow x5
Marx (Kirby) x5
Malzahar (League of Legends) x5
King Boo x5
Concept: Master Chief Mii Costume x5
Crono x5
Worm (Worms) x5
Kyle Hyde x5
Lizalfos x4
Toon Zelda x3
Eight (Dragon Quest) x3
[Rerate] Slime (Dragon Quest) x3
Boss: Sans x2
Urbosa x1
Stahl x1
[Rerate] Steve? x1

World of Light expansion is now tied with 100 characters for 2nd place, and Style Savvy rep is tied with No fan favorites for 5th.

Black Mage gets out of the under 25 club.

Today’s newcomer is Kyle Hyde, with 5 noms.

O I do think we will get another AW. Just think not getting AW as a character. Intelligent Systems will put inn Paper Mario IMO as there next char.
I don’t think Paper Mario as a character is even on Sakurai’s radar. Plus Nintendo seems intent on killing PM as a franchise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Andy, aka not Dany

Chances: 5-15%
Wars is one of the oldest series Nintendo has in their catalog, with the first games appearing on the Famicom, and continued appearances in consoles like Gameboy, Super Famicom, GBA, GC, and finally DS where the last current entry (Days of Ruin) was released.

I don't give it too much chance due to currently being dormant and that IS favors FE by a lot. It really depends in Nintendo wanting to revive the franchise in the future.

Want: Abstain
Only entry I have played of Wars, is Days of Ruin. While I understand the gameplay is pretty much the same basis for both games, I cant really say much about AW apart from the base gameplay and that I would suppose Andy would invoke units to help him in battle.

Can't get a solid grasp/feeling on the character so I abstain.

Nom: Ryu Hayabusa x 5

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Look, I have nothing to add to what's already been said. The series is long dead and IS don't give two ****s about it, on top of not even getting the publicity of being a damned assist trophy. IS doesn't look like it has plans on resurrecting the franchise, much less Sakurai or his dev team pushing for an underdeveloped character in Smash like ****ing Corrin. I don't see any further plans to resurrect it post FE:3H either with how it's far more difficult to market dating, marriage, and children in a game about controlling infantry, tanks, planes and the like.

Want: 100%

AW is fun, sooooooo much fun. It combines this feeling of conquest and strategy and resource management with pretty visuals, a killer catchy soundtrack and some great character designs. I want AW to return, preferably in a big budget Switch title, but... with IS's long-standing propensity for Fire Emblem and the extremely pandering gashapon of said franchise, I don't see it happening, and honestly while I would love to see Lin or Sami in a bikini or bathrobe, I think if it ever comes to that, I might just decide to let the Wars rest.

Nominate: 2B x5

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean if IS brought back the series, they would want to do it in a big way. Putting a character in Smash, be it Andy or a new protag would be the way to go. Hopefully the former.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Andy
Chance:
1%
I mean, it's like what everyone says. He's a Spirit (with a battle I really enjoyed at that). The series has passed its day in the sun. The assist trophy is gone. I don't think there's a real chance, I'm afraid.

Want: 50%
Andy is in a unique position for me in that I have a lot of nostalgia for the GBA and DS era of gaming so a lot of the icons of that era just make me smile and Andy is one of them. I once saw a concept of Andy and Sami in a team together both in a tank that I liked. I can't really think of what the moveset would be right now but Advance Wars and the Famicom Wars series in general has a big time pedigree so I'd be pretty cool with Andy being in. Plus, more tank-y fighters isn't a bad thing. Gotta support my fellow first parties who have faded into the background. Advance Wars is a good game and I always enjoy somewhat deep cuts when it comes to roster additions.

Nominations: Ryota Hayami x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Bad Company
Chance: 0.01
Dead series and reviving such sseries through Smash isn't something they've done since KI strangely. If Isaac couldn't be made playable then neither will Andy. Not to mention he's owned by the same studio behind FE. There's no way in hell they would choose bringing back Advance Wars over shilling their latest game again.

Want: 55%
No attachment but it would be satisfying to see a dead series get games again because of Smash. Especially if the producing of new Advance wars games would mean FE would have to sit it out for a sec.

Cranky Kong x5
Ezio: 0.89%

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Andy

Advance Wars hasn't had a new game for a long time and as such, Andy's chances as DLC are...quite low, to say the least. Even if he wasn't that obscure, he still has a ton of competition from other first-party characters since I think we're getting mostly third-party characters. And among them are characters that are way more popular than Andy, like Bandana Dee, Sylux and Edelgard.

Want: 80%
I would absolutely loved it if Advance Wars were to get a rep in Smash (it's a shame that the Tanks Assist Trophy was removed). It was one of the underrated gems that really deserved a spotlight in Smash and I wouldn't mind if Andy represents the franchise as a playable character.

Ezio Prediction: 3.18%

Nominations:
Jin Kazama x5

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Andy

Insert all the standard arguments that everyone else has already said a bunch, spirit, old game, not 3rd party or promotional, etc. With FE:TH coming out this year, and while we've been assured it wasn't delayed we haven't heard anything about it so potentially they are pulling all hands on deck to finish it on time, I just don't see where they would decide to try and bring AW back at the same time they are making their big return to console games with FE. Even if they wanted to bring AW back I just don't see them doing it in any sort of timeline that would work for Smash DLC.

Want: 70%
While ultimately I ended up as a Fire Emblem fan over Advance Wars, I loved the AW games I played and found the games to have real charm on top of the TBS game play that I love. While I would love to get a revival of the series, the main thing holding me back is having trouble picturing an Andy in Smash that both represents AW and isn't super convoluted (no offence but I think him having to buy units with money being part of his kit sounds very complex for Smash).

Prediction: Ezio 2.7%
Nominations: Monster Hunter x5

Is it possible to suggest a Monster Hunter/Palico double day on Monster Hunter's day?

This is something people (or at least some folks in this thread) like to conveniently forget for the sake of their own narrative. Wargroove did crazy well both critically and commercially. The demand for games in the style of Advance Wars is very much present and Nintendo/Intelligent Systems knows this (if they don't then they're living under a rock). If it wasn't a proven fact before, it is now. I would argue that the situation in 2019 is so much different then it ever has this past decade on that alone.

But y'know, you're still going to have the folks that paint the doom and gloom image. "Lol AW is dead IS only cares about FE". Not much to argue when you keep going back to the same thing.
Honestly while I think Wargroove's success is great for the eventual revival of the Advance Wars series, I think it is 100% way too late in the game to have any baring at all on Advance Wars for Smash DLC.

I once saw a concept of Andy and Sami in a team together both in a tank that I liked.
Now this sounds like a super cool concept, if you have a link I'd love to take a look.

Last edited:

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
Andy (Advance Wars)

Like everyone else said here, him being a Spirit, comes from a dead series and he's a first-party character, meaning his chances are not looking great right now in this DLC wave. He's just like Isaac in this regard, but unlike him, he wasn't popular and that really brought him down.

Want: 90%
Well, if it means getting a new Advance Wars game, then I'm down with Andy being a playable character. He may not be my most wanted first-party character, but I definitely do want him in the game.

Nominations:
Noctis Lucis Caelum x5

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
While I would love to get a revival of the series, the main thing holding me back is having trouble picturing an Andy in Smash that both represents AW and isn't super convoluted (no offence but I think him having to buy units with money being part of his kit sounds very complex for Smash).
It's not really. It would just entail him having a fund system like he does in AW which he would buy from a small sub-menu. It's simple enough for a casual fan to grasp.

Of course if one were to implement a CO Power Meter as well, then it can be a bit too much although I think it would work.
Honestly while I think Wargroove's success is great for the eventual revival of the Advance Wars series, I think it is 100% way too late in the game to have any baring at all on Advance Wars for Smash DLC.
That's def true and all but at least going forward, it's going to mean a lot for the future of the franchise.

And apart of what I was getting it is Wargroove along with the other AW-indies like Tiny Metal and Into the Breach might have swayed IS to return to the franchise beforehand. Which is unlikely as I mentioned before but if it was the case then that could open the possibility of a character on the Fighter's Pass to promote the return of the franchise.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
It's not really. It would just entail him having a fund system like he does in AW which he would buy from a small sub-menu. It's simple enough for a casual fan to grasp.

Of course if one were to implement a CO Power Meter as well, then it can be a bit too much although I think it would work.
So there are currently 4 characters who I would argue have a "resource" in Smash. Olimar has Pikmin, used in many of his skills when they die you pick a new one with a single button push. Cloud has his limit bar, when full empowers the next attack and charge on button push and damage done and received. Inkling has paint, used in many attacks and is charged with one button combo push (two buttons but at the same time). Robin has limited use on tomes and sword, used in almost every attack and when the resource is out they can't attack with that one until it automatically comes back.

There is also only a single fighter who has a sub-menu and it has no "resource" tied to it other than a cool-down, and arguably it's not tied to his moves but his stats.

What you're suggesting would be a resource mechanic on the level of Robin or Inkling that is also paired with a sub menu like Shulk that would factor into his attacks. That's quite a bit more complicated than anything else in Smash. If it was a simple resource that only limited a few moves that you didn't have to pick from a menu it wouldn't be that different than Robin or if you had a sub menu but no resource it could be similar to Shulk, though picking your attacks from a menu sounds much more complicated than picking your stat buff. But as is it just feels like too much to me.

Personally I think a resource that charged over time and the amount you have determined which unit you spawned would be interesting. Would work somewhat similar to Wario's fart in a way. Then you could have down-B always spawn at least an infantry unit but if you haven't used it in a bit you could spawn a tank.

That's def true and all but at least going forward, it's going to mean a lot for the future of the franchise.

And apart of what I was getting it is Wargroove along with the other AW-indies like Tiny Metal and Into the Breach might have swayed IS to return to the franchise beforehand. Which is unlikely as I mentioned before but if it was the case then that could open the possibility of a character on the Fighter's Pass to promote the return of the franchise.
Honestly I really doubt Tiny Metal or Into the Breach would really push Nintendo to make an Advance Wars game considering their smaller nature, if they decided to bring back Advance Wars before now it would have to be under it's own merit. But yes Wargroove seems to be going very well and I would guess that would surely make Nintendo take notice, especially since it probably landed at about the best time. Now Wargroove will have several months of great sales under its belt while IS finished FE:TH and then when they're done Wargroove could be large enough that they decide to take another look at their AW series.

That said all that would be for a revival of the series, I seriously doubt that it would have enough impact to get Andy into DLC for this first pass when you look at all his competition.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So there are currently 4 characters who I would argue have a "resource" in Smash. Olimar has Pikmen, used in many of his skills when they die you pick a new one with a single button push. Cloud has his limit bar, when full empowers the next attack and charge on button push and damage done and received. Inkling has paint, used in many attacks and is charged with one button combo push (two buttons but at the same time). Robin has limited use on tomes and sword, used in almost every attack and when the resource is out they can't attack with that one until it automatically comes back.

There is also only a single fighter who has a sub-menu and it has no "resource" tied to it other than a cool-down, and arguably it's not tied to his moves but his stats.

What you're suggesting would be a resource mechanic on the level of Robin or Inkling that is also paired with a sub menu like Shulk that would factor into his attacks. That's quite a bit more complicated than anything else in Smash. If it was a simple resource that only limited a few moves that you didn't have to pick from a menu it wouldn't be that different than Robin or if you had a sub menu but no resource it could be similar to Shulk, though picking your attacks from a menu sounds much more complicated than picking your stat buff. But as is it just feels like too much to me.

Personally I think a resource that charged over time and the amount you have determined which unit you spawned would be interesting. Would work somewhat similar to Wario's fart in a way. Then you could have down-B always spawn at least an infantry unit but if you haven't used it in a bit you could spawn a tank.
The difference is that Andy would have most of the units from his series available for purchase rather than just summon something based on chance. Like different units with set prices that the player can easily summon through a menu. IMO, it's no more complicated than say Robin or Inkling's mechanics. And it also gives Andy a lot of strategic depth given he keeps the player guessing on which unit he's going to summon. Imagine Andy having options for long range attacks (Artillery, Rockets) and having heavy firepower up-close (Tanks, A-Air's, etc.).
Honestly I really doubt Tiny Metal or Into the Breach would really push Nintendo to make an Advance Wars game considering their smaller nature, if they decided to bring back Advance Wars before now it would have to be under it's own merit. But yes Wargroove seems to be going very well and I would guess that would surely make Nintendo take notice, especially since it probably landed at about the best time. Now Wargroove will have several months of great sales under its belt while IS finished FE:TH and then when they're done Wargroove could be large enough that they decide to take another look at their AW series.

That said all that would be for a revival of the series, I seriously doubt that it would have enough impact to get Andy into DLC for this first pass when you look at all his competition.
Maybe not but it might have had some impact beforehand. At the very least, it could have gotten the attention of said parties and Wargroove's success might have been the selling factor in returning to the franchise sometime. If not for Smash Ultimate DLC, then maybe for Smash 6 way down the line.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
The difference is that Andy would have most of the units from his series available for purchase rather than just summon something based on chance. Like different units with set prices that the player can easily summon through a menu. IMO, it's no more complicated than say Robin or Inkling's mechanics. And it also gives Andy a lot of strategic depth given he keeps the player guessing on which unit he's going to summon. Imagine Andy having options for long range attacks (Artillery, Rockets) and having heavy firepower up-close (Tanks, A-Air's, etc.).
You do realize you're talking about stopping and scrolling through a menu to find the exact unit you want to summon while in the middle of a fight right? I personally struggle to correctly get the correct buff when using Shulk because I don't know where each one is and I don't have time to stop and really look at the menu, so sometimes I'm literally picking my stats at random lol. And on top of having a more extensive menu which is sounds like you're suggesting with him being able to pull so many units, you want the added complication of the resource where Andy has to pick while thinking about how much money he has and what the prices of each unit is. It's way more complicated than anything else in Smash.

I could maybe see where he has like 4-5 units in his "summon unit" skill and then a few others show up in other attacks, but if you over do it it might feel like all Andy does is point at his units. At least Olimar has to throw his Pikmin places or wack people with them.

Maybe not but it might have had some impact beforehand. At the very least, it could have gotten the attention of said parties and Wargroove's success might have been the selling factor in returning to the franchise sometime. If not for Smash Ultimate DLC, then maybe for Smash 6 way down the line.
On this I will agree, I think if Wargroove is successful if could 100% impact the chances for an Advance Wars revival before Smash 6 where Andy would then have a good shot.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You do realize you're talking about stopping and scrolling through a menu to find the exact unit you want to summon while in the middle of a fight right? I personally struggle to correctly get the correct buff when using Shulk because I don't know where each one is and I don't have time to stop and really look at the menu, so sometimes I'm literally picking my stats at random lol. And on top of having a more extensive menu which is sounds like you're suggesting with him being able to pull so many units, you want the added complication of the resource where Andy has to pick while thinking about how much money he has and what the prices of each unit is. It's way more complicated than anything else in Smash.

I could maybe see where he has like 4-5 units in his "summon unit" skill and then a few others show up in other attacks, but if you over do it it might feel like all Andy does is point at his units. At least Olimar has to throw his Pikmen places or wack people with them.
Maybe he has 5 units he can summon from (Infantry, Tank, Md. Tank, Artillery, Anti-Air). All the sub-menu would show is the unit icon and the associated price so it would be easy to seamlessly select which unit to purchase. I would want more units personally but 5 covering most bases would work as well. Other units can be used outside the purchase system as well like Andy using a Rocket Launcher as his side special to cover the Mech Unit (similar to Snake) and using a B-Copter as his Up-B. Down B could be something like building a city or charging his CO Power Meter if that's a thing.
On this I will agree, I think if Wargroove is successful if could 100% impact the chances for an Advance Wars revival before Smash 6 where Andy would then have a good shot.
It is by all accounts so the silver lining of Andy not making it in Smash Ultimate is that his series has a good chance for the next game however long that might be. Although it probably wouldn't be Andy if IS goes the route of a new setting. Would still accept anyone from the Wars series in Smash since it's long overdue for representation. Hell, i'd be hyped for Sami if she were DLC despite me not wanting her that much.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Hm

I think Ura's funds mechanic could work, but if it's too complicated then there's other things that can make it simpler.

For example, some people may complain about having to do math while playing Andy; personally I'd have no problem with it but others might. To remedy this, perhaps each unit Andy can call out has its own individual cooldown timer; when the Andy player uses the Neutral Special, the menu will come up just like Shulk's and the player could quickly see a depleting bar to tell how much cooldown is left one each unit. Indeed, this is exactly like Shulk's mechanic except that there could possibly be multiple options cooling down at any one time, and each option cools down at a different rate (for ex., a Tank would cool down slower than an Infantry to reflect its higher price point).
I also think that five is a fairly reasonable number of unit types, but if they wanted to simplify it even more than that I think just having Infantry/Tank/Med. Tank or Infantry/Mech/Tank as the only three options would still be representative of the character to a large degree. Other unit types could appear in some of Andy's other moves, like maybe his down special brings out the Artillery unit for a quick second to fire one shot and then disappear.
Finally, if none of this is convincing to people then I'd say that Andy could work without having to purchase units at all; Advance Wars has enough interesting stuff that Andy could pull out for individual moves, like the B-Copter, Artillery, or APC.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Finally, if none of this is convincing to people then I'd say that Andy could work without having to purchase units at all; Advance Wars has enough interesting stuff that Andy could pull out for individual moves, like the B-Copter, Artillery, or APC.
This was actually the basis of some of my older movesets for Andy but I felt his moveset needed to better reflect the Wars series to be faithful. A fund system is exactly what Wars is always about, effectively managing your resources to gain the upper hand against your opponent through strategic planning.

Of course if that was the compromise, I wouldn't mind. Andy having a moveset kit of Artillery as his Neutral Special, Anti-Air/Mech as his Side Special, B-Copter as his Up Special, and a Tank as his Down Special would work just fine. Maybe throw in some weaker units like Infantry/Recon's, what have you as his regular attacks or throws.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Hm

I think Ura's funds mechanic could work, but if it's too complicated then there's other things that can make it simpler.

For example, some people may complain about having to do math while playing Andy; personally I'd have no problem with it but others might. To remedy this, perhaps each unit Andy can call out has its own individual cooldown timer; when the Andy player uses the Neutral Special, the menu will come up just like Shulk's and the player could quickly see a depleting bar to tell how much cooldown is left one each unit. Indeed, this is exactly like Shulk's mechanic except that there could possibly be multiple options cooling down at any one time, and each option cools down at a different rate (for ex., a Tank would cool down slower than an Infantry to reflect its higher price point).
I also think that five is a fairly reasonable number of unit types, but if they wanted to simplify it even more than that I think just having Infantry/Tank/Med. Tank or Infantry/Mech/Tank as the only three options would still be representative of the character to a large degree. Other unit types could appear in some of Andy's other moves, like maybe his down special brings out the Artillery unit for a quick second to fire one shot and then disappear.
I don't think a resource mechanic is inherently bad, just when paired with a menu mechanic which is also complicated. I really think it would need to be one or the other.

With a resource you could do a charging resource like Wario/Cloud or even a charged attack like Samus/DK/Mewtwo where the power/unit changes based on charge. You could do a set order resource like Olimar where the units he summon's come out in a set order like the Pikmin. You could do a more traditional usage resource like Robin/Inkling but the key there has to be ease of recovery like Inkling or additional options like Robin.

With the menu mechanic obviously your best bet would be a Shulk-esque menu that has a few different options, but I think again the big issue here is that you're using a menu to call an attack not change your stats like Shulk. So every time you want to do said attack you require several inputs to begin the attack. It's doable and wouldn't be any more complicated than some of the more complicated moves in Smash (Villager's tree/Ryu & Ken's special input attacks) but personally wouldn't be the best route in my opinion.

I think there is potential there, and from talking with you and Ura Ura I see it a lot better than when I made my first post, I just think that making him overly complicated wouldn't make him very fun in Smash.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I think again the big issue here is that you're using a menu to call an attack not change your stats like Shulk. So every time you want to do said attack you require several inputs to begin the attack.
Good point.

However, there is a slight difference between calling an attack directly versus calling out a minion to run around and do stuff for you. This is why I like to restrict the purchasing to stuff like Infantry, Tanks, and other things that aren't just gonna attack once and disappear, but rather run around for a little while before going away. You're not gonna be purchasing a unit when you need a quick action to hit a close-up opponent; you'll use one of his other standard attacks. Purchasing, since it takes time to charge, is usually gonna be something you wanna activate when you've distanced yourself a bit from the enemy, which gives you enough time to make multiple inputs (by multiple, we're only looking at two or three). In fact, using the minions to keep your enemy away from you long enough to make even more purchases would probably be part of the playstyle.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Good point.

However, there is a slight difference between calling an attack directly versus calling out a minion to run around and do stuff for you. This is why I like to restrict the purchasing to stuff like Infantry, Tanks, and other things that aren't just gonna attack once and disappear, but rather run around for a little while before going away. You're not gonna be purchasing a unit when you need a quick action to hit a close-up opponent; you'll use one of his other standard attacks. Purchasing, since it takes time to charge, is usually gonna be something you wanna activate when you've distanced yourself a bit from the enemy, which gives you enough time to make multiple inputs (by multiple, we're only looking at two or three). In fact, using the minions to keep your enemy away from you long enough to make even more purchases would probably be part of the playstyle.
That's true.

So then you're looking close to Dedede's Waddle Dees, I wonder if there would be issues with them wandering around the stage? Isn't that why Dedede doesn't have his Waddle Dee throw any more? If so they would probably need to have a set path or "action" that they take instead of just wandering like the AT used to do.

EDIT: actually now that I think about it, I wonder if that's the reason the AW AT didn't make it back?

Last edited:
Top Bottom