• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Troykv

Smash Master
I don't think I'd classify stuff like Link, Kirby, and Pikachu as "non-essential” characters, they are well known iconic characters from active and impactful franchises to the industry as a whole. Fox is somewhat synonymous with Smash at this point, villager is popular and somewhat active, and inklings are newcomers. Mario-multiverse characters had a low priority in Smash 4, but I think that they are more identifiable than most of the roster.

I don't think every irrelevant character should be cut, there can be space in between keeping and cutting everyone. I'd put a lot of priority on newcomers, but that doesn't mean that most veterans get cut.

That's a much better phrasing of the Mario question: I don't nescessarily want every non Mario or non-relevant character to be cut. I want to be open to the idea of cuts and emphasis that eventually the list of irrelevant franchises will grow. Stuff like F-Zero and Earthbound hold a niche of being included characters that are ultimately not relevant, but the amount of characters in that niche will grow to a point where making space for them is not as justifiable.

In the current state of Smash it's somewhat realistic to hope for little to no cuts but the topic is the concept of no cuts. Looking at the series' future I think that cuts are needed to better develop the game.
Somehow I ended up making a mistake for mixing spanish logic with english logic (I dislike having to have to deal with this, but is Okay)

I wanted to say this...

Every character that is esencial is safe... And the newcomers are priority above everything; the rest of the veterans are after thoughts.

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
No Cuts

Chance: 0%
There are going to be cuts. Unless this is a port, which I guess we're just assuming won't be the case because it'd make the vast majority of speculation pointless.

Want: 0%
Less Fire Emblems pls.

Elma prediction: 13%

Nominations:
Travis Touchdown x3
Funky Kong x2

Roberk

Smash Champion
Somehow I ended up making a mistake for mixing spanish logic with english logic (I dislike having to have to deal with this, but is Okay)

I wanted to say this...

Every character that is esencial is safe... And the newcomers are priority above everything; the rest of the veterans are after thoughts.
If that's the way I could make the game, then yes. As I said in my original post this topic/my opinion can get very controversial so I'm trying not to offend anybody. It's not that I don't want the "non-essential" characters in the game, it's that I want newcomers more.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
No cuts chances: 17%
I don't think it's a complete impossibility, as this new Smash is not being developped for two platforms, and we have no evidence of a Subspace-like development time sink yet. I'm also speculating that this game might take a higher proportions of assets from the previous one, and the art style of the Inkling CGI trailer looks similar to those for Smash 4.

However, Smash 4 has a huge amount of characters, more than a tenth being third-party which might mean it may be complicated to secure the rights for them all, and while it may be possible that a higher priority might be given to returning characters compared to new ones compared to Brawl and Smash 4, some veterans being cut for a new character is still possible. I prefer to set my expectations low about it happening.

Note that this is for the base game; it's possible that some characters might miss the boat in the initial release and all of them eventually get back in through DLC, and if I counted that my score would be considerably higher.

No cuts want: 100%
At this point I care about characters from Smash 4 returning in this game as much as potential newcomer if not more. Not having to worry about anyone getting cut and enjoying newcomer additions to the fullest would be awesome.

Elma prediction: 33.55%

Nominating:
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x1
Playable newcomer: Mimikyu x4

Graizen

Smash Champion
No Cuts
Chances:
99%
Want: 100%

I only took 1% because I really think some of the Clones will be taken out of the game for sure.
But I do not really see characters coming out this time. It has no motive or meaning.

Nomination: Agumon x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
No cuts
Chance:15%
It's just wishful thinking, highly unlikely
Want 85%
Obviously ideally everyone returns. But there are characters I'd have a newcomer over. And honestly as petty as it sounds, the amount of fire emblem characters annoy me and I hate how the Mii were implemented. Too the point where if not fixed, I'd rather see cut.

Nominations. Now that both are in the safe zone, I want to focus on just one. I will return to Lara Croft though after Parabo and Satebo have their day.
Nominate Parabo and Satebo x5

Prediction Elma 27.64%

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have analyzed almost everything coming in the next week. Really looking forward to Elma and Sora. I am not really interested in Story Mode personally.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
No Cuts

Chance: 1%
As we saw in Brawl and Smash 4, cuts are a condition of development that unfortunately are always going to be present. Between the characters you have to bring back, update, rebalance, and then add new characters that are built from scratch and then balanced against every pre-existing one, you have a large workload that gets exponentially larger the more you add to the game. That can mean the workload can go over the amount of time and resources you have to work with, and that can mean certain characters will fall to the wayside to make the best use of both without overextending yourself. There's also is the possibility of negotiations falling through and mechanical issues, which can easily kick a character out if they end up hitting that wall. As a result, there are multiple variables that can easily get even one character left out of the next roster, and there are not many options for avoiding those issues.

Want: 95%
While I understand the situation behind cuts, I would prefer the Smash 4 roster to remain as intact as it can.

Nomination: Lycanroc x5

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
No Cuts Chance: 0%- Cuts are inevitable and every single character added isn't just an addition, but a multiplication as confirmed by Sakurai.

The same with Pokémon, Jigglypuff was almost cut 3 times but kept just because she was a veteran.
There's actually no evidence she was in danger of being cut in Smash 4. If anything, the 3DS file listing seems to suggest that Jigglypuff was higher priority than every Smash 4 newcomer.

They won't care that characters were in the games 2 decades ago, they want to see the most recognizable and popular characters for the current and recent times.
But the thing is the characters the "casuals" would care the most about are already in Smash
:4mario::4dk::4link::4yoshi::4kirby::4pikachu::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4zelda::4ganondorf::4wario2::4diddy::4charizard::4sonic::4lucario: among others

From here on in, we're pretty much dealing with icing on the cake. Granted, I'm sure many of the "less important characters" will be lower priority than the newcomers, but I still think this argument doesn't really work.

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
No Cuts
Chance- 39%
I think a Port+ or 4.5 is pretty likely, which makes it very possible that no one needs to go. However, there's the possibility of third-party licensing issues, so that does bring it down. If it is a full new game, cuts are very likely. We'll see.
Want- ABSTAIN
I'm usually against cuts, but I wouldn't be that upset about seeing a few specific characters go, so I can't really put 100%. I don't really know how to translate that into numbers without looking at them individually, so I'll have to abstain.

Elma Predictions- 26%
"She's irrelevant" vs "XC2 came out too late" posts coming...

Nominations:
Ashley x5

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
No Cuts

Chance: 15%. Smash 5 is probably not a straight port, given its development time seems to be about the same as Smash 4's. As a result, I expect something similar to past games, where clones and some third-party characters will be especially vulnerable to Sakurai's giant pair of scissors. Even if it is a port, third-party fighters, DLC, and whatnot may present some challenges.

Want: 45%. This is a complicated topic indeed! It's a bit tricky to sum up. In Smash 4, there are a couple of characters whose gameplay I dislike (off the top of my head, Cloud and Bayonetta), so personally I wouldn't mind seeing them get the axe. If they could somehow revamp their gameplay, though, then that's also fine by me!

This isn't realistic, but my personal "dream Smash game" would be one with a significantly downsized roster, maybe 30 or 40 characters as an upper bound. That way each character could be made more distinct, veterans could be refreshed, and balance would be head and shoulders above some of the previous Smash games. (If this were the topic of a RTC week, I would rate this 100% in want!)

But "no cuts" isn't anywhere near strictly implying that, so I don't want to rate it 0% in want or anything. :p

Predictions

Elmo: 43.2%. Her heyday has passed for quite some time at this point, but she was relevant when Smash 5's development seems to have started... we'll have to see!

Nominations: Blue Bowser x5

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
No Cut Characters

Chance: 50%
Sakurai has stated that for the "next iteration of smash" (Smash 5), he doesn't want to have to cut any characters. I assume this also means clones, but, come on. It's inevitable that SOMEONE gets cut, and my bet is on the two newest clones, Corrin, and MAYBE Greninja. but that's pushing it.

Want: 20%
I only really like a few characters on the existing roster, but I'd hate to see anyone go really, even the clones. But if I were held at gunpoint and had to choose which were to go, I'd probably say the same characters I listed above.

Nominations: Fawful x5

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
No cuts
Chance 5%
There were so many characters in the last game, and if this is a new game and not I port like I think it is I doubt we'll see every single character return.

Want: 99%
I don't want to see characters get removed, but leaving out old characters could make room for more desirable newcomers I suppose.

Nominations: Geno x5

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
No Cuts Chance: 0%- Cuts are inevitable and every single character added isn't just an addition, but a multiplication as confirmed by Sakurai.

There's actually no evidence she was in danger of being cut in Smash 4. If anything, the 3DS file listing seems to suggest that Jigglypuff was higher priority than every Smash 4 newcomer.

But the thing is the characters the "casuals" would care the most about are already in Smash
:4mario::4dk::4link::4yoshi::4kirby::4pikachu::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4zelda::4ganondorf::4wario2::4diddy::4charizard::4sonic::4lucario: among others

From here on in, we're pretty much dealing with icing on the cake. Granted, I'm sure many of the "less important characters" will be lower priority than the newcomers, but I still think this argument doesn't really work.
Can you point me to where it says that Jigglypuff had a high priority? The only thing I can find is Jigglypuff not having a file.

snd_bgm_Z00_F_MiiFighter_00000000.idsp
64 Fighters (Notice the lack of Jigglypuff)
snd_bgm_Z01_F_Mario_00000000.idsp
snd_bgm_Z02_F_Donkey_00000000.idsp
snd_bgm_Z03_F_Link_00000000.idsp
snd_bgm_Z04_F_Samus_00000000.idsp
snd_bgm_Z05_F_Yoshi_00000000.idsp
snd_bgm_Z06_F_Kirby_00000000.idsp
snd_bgm_Z06_F_Kirby_00000000_001.idsp
snd_bgm_Z07_F_Fox_00000000.idsp
snd_bgm_Z08_F_Pikachu_00000000.idsp
snd_bgm_Z09_F_Luigi_00000000.idsp
snd_bgm_Z10_F_Captain_00000000.idsp
snd_bgm_Z11_F_Ness_00000000.idsp
EDIT: Yeah a lot of marks are checked when it comes to "casuals", I respect that rebuttal. I guess I'm more going for the fact that most people would recognize more recent characters over the less relevant franchises.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Purin is Jigglypuff's Japanese name.
0 Random N/A
1 Mii Brawler 0
2 Mii Swordfighter 1
3 Mii Gunner 2
4 Mario 3
5 Donkey Kong 4
6 Link 5
7 Samus 6
8 Yoshi 7
9 Kirby 8
10 Fox 9
11 Pikachu 10
12 Luigi 11
13 Captain Falcon 12
14 Ness 13
15 Peach 14
16 Bowser 15
17 Zelda 16
18 Sheik 17
19 Marth 18
20 Mr. Game & Watch 19
21 Ganondorf 20
22 Falco 21
23 Wario 22
24 Meta Knight 23
25 Pit 24
26 Zero Suit Samus 25
27 Olimar 26
28 Diddy Kong 27
29 King Dedede 28
30 Ike 29
31 Lucario 30
32 R.O.B. 31
33 Toon Link 32
34 Charizard 33
35 Sonic 34
36 Dr. Mario 36
37 Rosalina 39
38 Wii Fit Trainer 40
39 Little Mac 41
40 Villager 42
41 Palutena 43
42 Robin 44
43 Duck Hunt 45
44 Bowser Jr. 46
45 Shulk 47
46 Jigglypuff 35
47 Lucina 37
48 Dark Pit 38
49 Greninja 48
50 Pac-Man 49
51 Mega-Man 50
52 Mewtwo 51
53 Ryu 52
54 Lucas 53
55 Roy 54
56 Cloud 55
57 Bayonetta 56
58 Corrin 57
59 All Miis N/A
60 Giga Bowser (Final Smash) 58
61 Giga Mac (Final Smash) 60
62 Question Mark N/A
63 Unknown ?
64 Master Hand ?
65 Master Core ?
66 Crazy Hand ?
67 Master Hand & Crazy Hand ?
68 Bomb ?
69 Sandbag ?
70 Ridley ?
71 Metal Face ?
72 Yellow Devil ?
73 Mii Brawler (Enemy) 62
74 Mii Swordfighter (Enemy) 63
75 Mii Gunner (Enemy) 64
76 All Miis (Enemy) N/A
77 Virus ?
78 Narrator ?
79 Assist Trophy ?
80 Pokemon ?
81 Unknown ?
Jigglypuff seems to be right at the bottom of the unique characters for Smash 4, the clones save her from being the lowest priority. This is the list of character bins of Smash 4 and it apparently goes down in importance with Jiggs 4th to last only to clones on the base roster.

EDIT: Source for list

Last edited:

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
No Cuts

Chance: 25%
If smash 5 ends up nyot being some kinda glorified magical port built off of miracles and Sakurai's blood and sweat with a nyu fancy name and kitten loads of nyu tasty content, a few cuts wouldn't surprise me nyat all nyaa. Maybe they'll all come back as dlc nyaaa~:nifty:

Nyo cuts would be very very nice nya! The more the merrier nya! 70+ roster nya! Make my sweet dreams and fun nightmares come true Sakurai nya!!:nifty: I can dream damn it nya!!

Nyominations
Isabelle: x5

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Jigglypuff seems to be right at the bottom of the unique characters for Smash 4, the clones save her from being the lowest priority. This is the list of character bins of Smash 4 and it apparently goes down in importance with Jiggs 4th to last only to clones on the base roster.

EDIT: Source for list
That is weird, the listing for Smash Wii U apparently seems somewhat different from the 3DS version.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
No cutes :pikachu:

Chance 5%
Want 50%

I think it depends but timing is always a problem so there’s always a risk of someone getting cut or if a third party decides to back off.

Cranky x2
Kamek x2
Barbara the bat x1

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
No Cuts:

Even if I dislike/hate or feel apathetic towards some characters in Smash 4's cast, If someone out there loves them, then I don't want to make them feel bad that their favourite got the axe this time.

Abstaining from Chance

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Nominations: New Story Mode x5
Nominations: Hades x5
Noms:
Henry Fleming x5
All of 'yall can change your nominees. Those concepts/guys are in the schedule (check the OP for the upcoming week's schedule!). I will be cutting off a day's nominations at the post that officially starts the new day. Today's noms will be updated some time tomorrow evening due to heavy work schedule during the day.

This also goes for @waddledeeonredyoshi who's quote has disappeared among the multi-quotes for some reason.

Hmm... Should I expect that Micaiah ended up below other seven people the next week? I hope not; I have already finished my post.
She did. She missed out by three nominations. Sora and Banjo had a lot of support the past 3 days or so.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Cuts:

Chance: 0.1%
Unless it is a Smash 4 port, there will be cuts. Even if the engine is the same, they still need to make everyone function as well as balancing, developing and program them into the game. They also need to add new content, since that's what captures the attention of people the most - the newest toys to play with. Older content will thus have lower priority, particularly in such a beefy roster now.

Also, Nintendo saw how well DLC sold for veterans. Sakurai likes to make sure the bulk of the roster returns, but without a doubt Mewtwo was held back purposefully for DLC. Nintendo are a company in it for the money. A desired character is one way to make some extra dough post-release. I'm not saying we will see massive cuts for financial purposes, but a handful might stay out to be sold later when they are ready.

Want: 60%
Normally, this would be 100%. However, this is the first Smash game where I see certain cuts as justified considering the roster size and DLC as a fall back option. I am still hoping the majority make it back or return from past installments, but there are expandable characters now.

Elma prediction: 55.3%

Noms: Black Shadow x5

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No Cuts
Chances:
99%

I only took 1% because I really think some of the Clones will be taken out of the game for sure.
But I do not really see characters coming out this time. It has no motive or meaning.

Nomination: Agumon x5
A cut clone is still a cut character.

If you really think some of them will be cut your chance score should be much closer to zero. No cuts means NO cuts.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
All of 'yall can change your nominees. Those concepts/guys are in the schedule (check the OP for the upcoming week's schedule!). I will be cutting off a day's nominations at the post that officially starts the new day. Today's noms will be updated some time tomorrow evening due to heavy work schedule during the day.

This also goes for @waddledeeonredyoshi who's quote has disappeared among the multi-quotes for some reason.

She did. She missed out by three nominations. Sora and Banjo had a lot of support the past 3 days or so.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Cuts:

Chance: 0.1%
Unless it is a Smash 4 port, there will be cuts. Even if the engine is the same, they still need to make everyone function as well as balancing, developing and program them into the game. They also need to add new content, since that's what captures the attention of people the most - the newest toys to play with. Older content will thus have lower priority, particularly in such a beefy roster now.

Also, Nintendo saw how well DLC sold for veterans. Sakurai likes to make sure the bulk of the roster returns, but without a doubt Mewtwo was held back purposefully for DLC. Nintendo are a company in it for the money. A desired character is one way to make some extra dough post-release. I'm not saying we will see massive cuts for financial purposes, but a handful might stay out to be sold later when they are ready.

Want: 60%
Normally, this would be 100%. However, this is the first Smash game where I see certain cuts as justified considering the roster size and DLC as a fall back option. I am still hoping the majority make it back or return from past installments, but there are expandable characters now.

Elma prediction: 55.3%

Noms: Black Shadow x5
If mewtwo was held back for DLC why did he take 6 months to release...

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
No cuts
Chance: 1% - Even if they recycle a lot of assets from SSB4, it will likely be very difficult to include all the veterans in this increasingly over sized roster. Smash is reaching the point where it has one of the biggest rosters in the fighting game market, and the bigger it gets the harder it's going to be to balance and play test each individual character. We also need to take into account that the franchise is becoming increasingly dependent on third parties and there's no clear guarantee that the parent companies of these characters will keep allowing Sakurai to reuse them.

Want: 100% - I wouldn't be against it.

Elma prediction: 34%

Nominations: New Story Mode x5

Troykv

Smash Master
I know, I just hope she doesn't ended up waiting another week after the following week.

At least there are only like six options that seems likely to ended up surparssing Micaiah thanks to the additional nominations.

Ashley (WarioWare) x223
Arle Nadje (Puyo Puyo) x220
Geno x220
Blue Bowser x212
Lana (Hyrule Warriors) x207
Isabelle x182

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
No Cuts

Someone's getting cut if this isn't a port.

Want: 95%

Predictions for Elma:
20.23%

Nominations:
Arle Nadja x1
Geno x1
Lana x1
Micaiah x1
Tethu x1

:171:

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
No Cuts

Predicitons: 2%

I'm sure SOMEONE is gonna get cut. I'll be amazedly surprised if we end up getting none because everyone on the Wii U/3DS roster deserves their spot

Please keep them so we won't have to see Smash War III

Elma Predicitons: 16%

Nominations: Zeraora x5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
No Cuts

Chance: 25%

Another Smash game, another cut. Unless Sakurai finally realises he doesn't need to rebuild every game from the ground up anymore as Sm4sh is pretty functional compared to previous Smashes.

Want: 75%
Whilst I like a lot of the cast, there's some in the danger zone that I frankly couldn't care if they get cut or not especially if it frees up time to work on new characters. Unpopular opinion I know, but there's only about half of Sm4sh's newcomers I'd be genuinely disappointed if were cut, namely Pac-Man, Bowser Jr, Robin, Little Mac, Duck Hunt, Shulk and Villager. Maybe Megaman, but I have no real past connection to him.

Prediction for Elma: 23%
Simply because nearly everyone is on team Rex and Pyra.

Nominations:
Fire Emblem Heroes Summoner X 2
Isabelle X 3

andimidna

Smash Master
No cuts:
Yea, assets were reused from Brawl, but Smash Wii U never would’ve been intended to be a port. The upgrade between Brawl and Wii U is a lot more significant compared to Wii U to Switch in terms of visuals. I mean, look at BotW on both. You can see the Wii U version is inferior, but you at least kind of have to look for it. Looking at Brawl vs Smash Wii U is vastly different. They even had a stylistic tweaking that went less realistic and more colorful. We have vague knowledge about what’s actually happened, so I’m trying to stick by what seems to make sense.
If it was worked on for a long time, you still have to consider
1. Was it full-scale development? Dev team size compared to previous?
2. What was being developed?
Personally, I hope the majority of the development time before release is spent on single player aka story mode, and bringing over Smash Run (and other 3ds features).
They had that solid game already made, yet it undersold because it was for a system that undersold. For many, this will be their second Smash, after Brawl. To these people, Smash Wii U and 3ds could be as good as nonexistent

Now, all of this aside. Veterans are obviously among the highest priority to be able to be chosen. The only possibilities for this to be messed with is
1. Time/asset constraints
How do you predict this? No clue
2. 3rd party troubles
Not seeing another snake case this time around. That was it’s own thing
3. Technical issues
Like ICs, shouldn’t be an issue now
4. Other: Re-evaluation of their worth / only wanting to include the character once / being swapped for someone else as a replacement
This seems to be the criteria picked to justify all cuts, yet I can only clearly associate it with Pichu.
Maybe you could argue Wolf too, but I still think that if they had extended the DLC period just a liiittle bit, and added 1 or 2 more characters, we’d have had Wolf. Yet, things probably ended when things with the Switch were sorted out.
Honestly, it seems kinda obvious to prioritize Wolf over Roy, not that I love or hate either of them, but that part does confuse me.
I guess these one more
5. Overcrowded cast
It’s interesting to consider this bc it contributes to making it hard to balance, but I don’t think we’ve seen any sentiments like this from the dev team. If anything, it’s part of the magic of the game

Chance: 70%
Want: 90%
I don’t care about Dark Pit
Dr. Mario is kinda fun sometimes
Not sure why Roy is in this game, but his new design is really cool and his distinctions are good enough
I have no reason to want a cut, unless I hated a character ig lol
I mean, Sonic annoys me, but I’d never ask for him to get cut
That just doesn’t make sense
But if Dark Pit and Lucina get reduced to alts, w/e

Elma prediction: 18%
As an Azura fan, I feel you guys lmao

x4 Azura
x1 Ghirahim

Also stream No Tears Left To Cry when it comes out in 3 and a half hours thanks

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
No Cuts

- Coin-toss. It depends on too many things.

- The roster could really use some trimming and many characters should get updated/reworked to some degree. If that means cutting some characters, that’s fine by me.

Prediction

Elma: 14.5%

Nominations

Katrielle Layton (Professor Layton) x4
Black Shadow x1

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
If mewtwo was held back for DLC why did he take 6 months to release...
While they stated they only started work on the DLC after the game released, they never said they didn't plan on certain characters being DLC. The idea that in the project outline for Smash 4 DLC is a thing, Mewtwo's production is decided to be held back for DLC, and then they profit.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
No Cuts
Chance: 1%
Want: 90%

Elma Prediction: 16.42%

Nominations
Endou Mamoru x3
Decloned Dark Pit x2

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
No Cuts Chance 10%
While unfortunately all of the """""dessert""""" clones will be probably brought back, it's doubtful Sakurai will want to bring back all 3 Miis, WFT, 6 FE, and Rosalina simultaneously. Even if he does, it's doubtful the contracts for all the 3rd parties will go through.

No Cuts Want 0%
There are many, many characters from Smash 4's newcomers I wouldn't mind seeing cut. The time spent bringing them back would be better spent on getting new characters. Even though Dark Pit and Lucina take very little time, I think their inclusion is 100% a negative regardless.

Nominate Blue Bowser x5

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
No Cuts want: 0%

There are characters in Smash 4 I actively want out of the series.

Nominations:

Decloned Ganondorf x5

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
No Cuts
Chance - 20%
Not very good odds in my opinion, but it's not out of question either if it's a deluxe port.
:4cloud::4bayonetta::4pacman::4megaman::4ryu:- All 3rd party guests. Guest character shouldn't all stick around or else it makes the guest part silly sounding. License issues and not over crowding this Nintendo All Star celebration with non-Nintendo stars could seal someone's fate.
:4lucina::4drmario::4darkpit: - All were cheap clones added to pad the roster at the end. They have little Smash popularity and the desert course is usually quick to pass.
:4lucas::4feroy::4mewtwo: - They were all cut before. Fan demand brought them back, but is it truly enough to keep them around?
:4feroy::4lucina::4robinm::4corrin::4myfriends: - Series that even Sakurai questioned if over represented. Two clones. 2 DLC characters. Old characters with less relevance as time passes. Fire Emblem may very well see a cut or even two.
:4jigglypuff::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja::4mewtwo: - Despite being one of Nintendo's biggest franchises with a unique cast, people are eager to willing to start predicting cuts here. I disagree with this notion, but I'll place it here cause it is relevant for "No Cuts." People believe Pokemon has to suffer a cut or two to make room for new Pokemon.
:4mii: - Heavily relied on custom moves. Will that feature even return?
:4bowserjr: - Was one of the later additions and could be considered too much work for a low priority character that wasn't the best received in the end. I like the Koopalings quite a bit and more than Bowser Jr, but I could see the character or the Koopalings (keeping Jr.) getting cut cause of the model work load.

Want - 90%
This is messy. On one hand, I understand the nature of cuts to keep the workload reasonable or weed out poor choices in characters. Pokemon Trainer was interesting, but he was clearly a poorly received gimmick in the end with a large workload for 3 unique fighters to be tied into one character. Young Link got replaced by a much more distinct Toon Link, very few people actually want 3 or more versions of the same character. (Mario Kart, stop it please. Haters are going to hate. But I'll gladly take the Koopalings over Metal, Baby, and Cat/Tanooki any day) Some cuts do make sense. Others do not. Mewtwo should of never left the series in my opinion and I still think Wolf should of been higher priority over Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario combined.

People's feelings will get hurt whenever there is cuts. I honestly was pretty down Wolf got cut and bitter towards some additions that were made over him. However, I did worry and think he had a chance to be cut. But I really didn't want to see him get cut in favor of Mario cosplaying a doctor, Pit having a emo phase, or Marth with a gender change. That was insulting for me. I honestly skipped the Wii U even as a Nintendo fan as I was getting bigger on PC, was in college, and my Brawl main getting cut didn't help push me towards it. The biggest regret I had at the time was missing Pikmin 3.I picked up the 3DS and Smash on it later. I must say the handheld is too small for me to truly enjoy the game. I miss Wolf, but I took on a new main in Greninja.

Now with Smash Switch on the Horizon I'm getting to enjoy many fans theorizing or suggesting Greninja is an obvious cut. So I'm getting bitter again. Cutting for the sake of cutting is dumb. Saying fully unique characters from a large franchise should be cut even with high popularity just aggravates me. And part of what helps with the aggravation is that anything is possible in the land of cut characters. Sakurai could very well wild card cut a Pokemon as it could be any of them that is not Pikachu basically.

So while I understand cuts and moved on from :wolf: to a degree, I have a nagging fear I'll just relive the disappointment and :4greninja: will be cut. And that would actually be worse since he is unique and from a huge franchise that deserves it's roster spots. So if it keeps my ninja frog safe, I'd be much more for no cuts than having cuts even though I understand cuts happen.

Nominations - 5x Greninja

Last edited:

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
No cuts
I feel like this game is going to be Smash 4 + a few important newcomers in terms of roster. However, I can also see a few cuts. Smash 4 had a lot of newcomers and a lot of them were just added because they were the latest thing. I can see Sakurai trimming some of the fat to make a tighter roster, even if he's said he doesn't like cuts.

I want cuts. I won't name names here, but some of the clones in the last game and some of the DLC picks are imo not needed to return and in fact should be cut to make room for more exciting newcomers.

Elma: 45%
Nominations: Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
No cuts

Chance: ABSTAIN

I don't know how to rank this at this point.

Busy today, reasoning beyond "I don't like cuts" to be filled in later.

Elma prediction: 33.64%

Nominations: Isabelle x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I don't feel like writing much today, but this is a big topic.

Nobody Gets Axed

Chance:
1%
Want: 50%

I'd love an infinite roster. I wish everyone could get all of the characters they want. But it's just not realizable. We're already up to a roster size near 60, and this includes a few characters (with unique movesets!) who have already gotten the axe over the years. There's no way everyone is coming out safe, especially if we end up with more than a few newcomers.

I'd love for them to spend the dev time making big-characters people will enjoy, but DLC is a thing. If all it takes is to port, that's the perfect place to bring back vets (low dev time due to porting files + high demand for returning vets = it prints money). I'd like the less-important-but-still-loved vets to come back that way (Squirtle plz). Vanilla, though...bring on some new blood, but don't lose too much old.

Sm4sh left a sour taste in my mouth since none of my most wanted characters got in and they cut one of my mains. I didn't get into it until Mewtwo came back. It sucks to lose a character, so I really would like all of the older unique vets to return as DLC in this one.

Moment of silence for :wolf::popo::ivysaur::squirtle:, and half a moment for our others who did manage DLC...for now...:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy:

Prediction for Elma: 16.4%
Nominate: :4mewtwo::4mewtwo::4mewtwo::4mewtwo::4mewtwo:

Top Bottom