• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Toad

Chance: 1%
Toad has a ton of competition with more popular first party picks as well as third party ones. He's also still a part of Peach's moveset which I think hurts his chances (I know people will say that doesn't matter since Chrom is in Robin's FS, but from what I understand the reason for that is because Chrom was a last minute addition). His inclusion would also mean that we'd get another Mario stage as DLC which I don't see happening.

Want: 50%
Toad is a very important character in the Mario series so I wouldn't mind his inclusion too much. All I hope is that we get a Toadette costume/echo.

-----

Captain Toad

Chance: 10%
Gets a boost in chance since he's been heavily pushed in the recent Mario games and even had his own spin-off game. Aside from that his chances are still somewhat low for the same reasons as Toad.

Want: 40%
Same reasons for the regular Toad. I wouldn't want him as much though since they'd most likely try to implement his terrible jump height from Captain Toad meaning he could be another Little Mac in terms of recovery.

-----

Professor Layton chance prediction: 24.73%

Nominations:
Concept: SNK rep x5

LYD

Smash Rookie
Toad

Toad is already a part of Peach and Daisy’s moveset and Captain Toad seems to be overshadowing regular Toad a bit. In addition Toad really doesn’t have anything that differenciates him from the other Toads so he ends up in this akward limbo that as a character he isn’t unique from the rest of his species but he isn’t a generic creature like Piranha Plant either so, probably not happening.

Want: 27%
I like Toad but the fact that he’s undistinguishable from all the other Toads really takes away some of his personality in my opinion. I’d really like to see his Captain counterpart so that does take away most of my want chance for Toad.

Captain Toad

Chance: 27%
Now there are three main arguments I see people talk about against Captain Toad. I’d like to cover each of them:
  1. He makes an appearance in New Donk City”: Honestly, he can just be replaced when Captain Toad is on the stage, just like how Alfonzo replaces Toon Link in spirit tracks I believe.
  2. His backpack makes it so he can’t jump”: Look, we both watched the Piranha Plant announcement. We both now how creative Sakurai can be. Sakurai took a character that doesn’t walk, do I even need to say anything else?! If I do, here’s a moveset I came up with that embraces the backpack engine, for instance. And if I can came up with something like this, we can only imagine what Sakurai could come up with.
  3. We already have two Mario newcomers this game”: Okay this is the most reasonable argument, but didn’t Fire Emblem get three new characters last time around? Four if you count Roy as a returning veteran. And sure, Sakurai probably isn’t quite proud of such a huge Fire Emblem roster, but Nintendo is making the picks this time, so if they have some plans for Captain Toad in the near future I could totally see him getting in.
That being said, the first DLC doesn’t give us too much hope for 1st parties but if there’s one first party I thing would sell great, well, that character would be Captain Toad. Plus he’s rather unexpected when compared to most 1st party frontrunners (though I’d love to see Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee as DLC as well).

Want: 81%
While not main Toad we all know and love, Captain Toad still gives the Toad race some representation and is a truly unique and lovely character. Treasure Tracker was an amazing game too so Captain Toad has really grown on me as a character. I also think he’d have a ton of moveset potential as you can see in the moveset I came up with, linked earlier on this post.

Nominations: Kamek 5x

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Toad

SwiggetySwootieToadgotdabooty.png

Okay, before we start I'd like to take a quick look at Toad throughout Smash Bros. thus far, because it's actually kind of interesting to see what happened to what is by and large, a pretty iconic Nintendo character.

Smash 64
Sakurai put forth a column on who Japanese fans would like to see if there was ever a Smash 2.
The results came in, and as one could expect the likes of Bowser, Peach, Dedede, Ganon and Wario topped the polls. But Toad also made it into the top 10 most requested even beating out obvious choices such as Zelda, Marth, Falco, Wolf, Diddy Kong and Banjo Kazooie.

Melee
Sakurai managed to include a fair few of the popular results but decided to put Toad, for whatever reason, into Peach's moveset as a counter as presumably some sort of "best I could do at the time" option. Toad made a few appearences sans Peach in the Adventure Mode, running about on his own which would eventually lead to the infamous "Toad in Smash Bros." rumour. Turned out to be nonsense, but for now Toad's playable status was limited to a single (rather bad) move.
Smash Melee playable Toad.jpg

Bit undignified. Peach is a monster.

Brawl
Toad remains in his position however he is ALSO playable...if you play Masterpieces' SMB2 and kill Peach fast enough. Kind of lame, but again; very close to playable. Toad fandom began suspecting something was up, but no other Mario character made it as Wario was included as his own rep and Toad was the next biggest character.
Toad-playable-in-Brawl.png

Smash For
Toad was glossed over for Rosalina(and Luma) and Bowser Jr(and the Koopalings) and remained in his role. Toad fandom began dying off pretty quick when Sakurai came forward about why he hadn't changed Ganondorf. Fear of alienating the players meant every single moveset was being grandfathered. Toad seemed doomed forever to Peach's moveset. He did however get a Mii outfit which allowed Toad fans such as myself to fight it out thanks to Mii Brawler.
Smash For playable Toad.jpg

Ultimate
The stars seemed to align for Toad this time; he'd had his own game, something Smash For heavily featured and Mii costumes were getting made into playable characters such as Inklings and later K. Rool, Isabelle and Chrom. Sakurai finally allowed Toad to be a more hands on fighter, but he's still part of Peach's moveset(as well as a Mii outfit)...and worse, a fellow Blue Toad has been reduced to being in Daisy's moveset no matter how ill a fit that is.
Toad can however now grab, throw, headbutt, booty slam, punch, and shoot spores instead of just reacting to being attacked. It's an improvement!
ss_4.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 10.17.17 AM.png

Conclusion
With each and every single Smash iteration Toad slowly creeps more into a playable fighter.
But by gods it's a slow frigging evolution. I don't know if there's a character out there that's had more 'ALMOST' playable iterations than Toad has, apart from maybe Ridley who finally made the leap to full playable this game.

So with the history out the way, let's look at regular Toad's chances first:

Pros:
+ Chrom is a part of a moveset AND a fighter. This makes far less sense than it would for Toad
+ Easy sell to general Nintendo fans.
+ He's used HEAVILY in promotional material to the point

Cons:
- Third parties seem to be the focus of DLC going by Reggies status
- Piranha Plant's inclusion is likely the last Mario character for Ultimate

Chance: 3%
And that's generous. I honestly don't think Toad is ever getting in before Sakurai retires from the series, due to the fact Sakurai is pretty stubborn on not alienating the fans of previous playable Smash characters, so the inclusion of Toad now being in Daisy's moveset is a double edged sword. On the one hand he's a bigger presence on the battlefield showcasing that YES; he can fight(although that should be a non issue with Isabelle's inclusion now) but on the other that is now TWO Princesses he must escape if he wishes to be free.

Poor guy can't catch a break.

Want: 100%
I genuinely mean this: Add Toad to Smash Bros. and I will never bother complaining about a single roster choice ever again.

Wario's Woods is the greatest Mario puzzle game ever in my humble opinion and watching Toad slay demons, mermaids, a Ganon clone, a DK clone, AND DEATH with a handful of bombs before coming for Wario...invicinible, super powered Wario was a beautiful part of my childhood. I implore you to try Wario's Woods out if you ever get the chance, because god damn:
Warwoodr-2.png
"WAAAA!!?!"
Toad don't **** around.

In conclusion:

Right now, staring at the Mario cast and seeing Toad missing but seeing the likes of Dr. Mario, Rosalina and Daisy makes me feel like there's something wrong. Toad's also the only guy used commonly in advertisement that doesn't seem to get to Smash, and it causes some sort of OCD in my head:

That 3DS advert.jpg

Villager and Zelda may be different iterations, but they're there at least.

Finally, I do have to wonder if the people saying Toad has no moveset potential are forgetting he has 30 years of gaming history ranging from stacking monsters and bombs, handing out powerups(Mario and Luigi literally only cover fire flower, and even then there's an item for it), being the only remaining Mario character to be in every single Mario Kart, and whatever freaky deaky stuff Sakurai could do if he decided to develop Toad's spore creation skill. Heck, for you Mario RPG fans, we can even have him NOT forget his bazooka for Smash.

Toad, alongside Dixie Kong and arguably now Bandana Dee and Waluigi are the only big name Nintendo All Stars left. I've seen even Toad haters think it's a strange omission that someone who is a literal face of the Mushroom Kingdom has been left out the scrap as a proper fighter for so long.

Never going to fully stop wanting Toad, even if his fanbase gets drowned out by every other Mario character under the sun.
THE LAST TRUE ALL STAR!
(aside from Dixie Kong)

d7223hn-e083b4a1-4064-4cc1-ab1a-8492264c229a.png

(Due to the sheer length of this, I'll do Captain Toad as a totally seperate post. And yeah, it's going to be in the same style as this one so strap yourselves in.)

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
HEY LUIGI, BOWL OF SPAGHETTI?
Chance: 0.1%
He's part of Peach and Daisy's moveset and that's basically a hard deconfirm. I know Chrom's both playable and in Robin's Final Smash but some people have speculated he was a last minute addition, that and I feel Chrom was a "special case", so I don't see lightning striking twice for regular Toad.

Want: 4%
I'd just prefer the captain. I feel like he'd be the more interesting fighter, speaking of which...

Captain bup
Chance: 15%
I'm one of those people who think stage elements aren't hard deconfirms considering Alfonzo and Duck hunt dog. The captain doesn't even really do anything of note in that stage so they would easily be able to remove him if he's in the battle. His inability to jump might not be that big of a issue as Sakurai can be quite creative. They can atleast make him a character who wouldn't have a strong airgame. Still though, Piranha Plant might be all the Mario content we're getting.

Want: 73%
He's the last big main series Mario character left and his game was pretty neat. He's also kinda shares the same boat as Bandana Dee so I'd definitely root for him. (After Dee gets in of course)

Layton: 22.96%
Hollow knight x5

KloupLoup

Smash Cadet
A Toad=40%
toadS have been an integral part of the Mario Series for some time now and are IMO more important than characters like daisy or waluigi. For anyone saying toads are "basically deconfirmed" because theyre apart of the princess's moves or because they're spirits
1. toad isn't an individual character, but a species just like piranha plant
2. that means the princesses could use any toad as a counter, but any toad could also be a fighter
3. we have no confirmation that spirits have reduced chances of promotion, and are only going on assumptions. Sakurai does what he wants, when he wants. for whatever reason he wants. 90% of the reasoning we use is arbitrary. ANNYYWAAAY the Mario series is definitely getting a few more reps before this game is set and done, and Toad is definitely a top contender along with waluigi.

captain toad=20%
captain toad screams alt costume from its soul. not a big franchise, and no where near as impactful as regular toad. biggest advantage would be that he subverts the nonproblem of toad already being a part of daisy's and peach's movesets. the non jumping thing would be worked out or gotten rid of. easily fixed and not a real issue.
cooking mama X5
Layton=26.66666%

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Toad
Chance: 5%

I actually think Piranha Plant may help Toad's shot more than it hurts, but I still don't think he has much of a shot for DLC. Maybe for the next Smash.
Want: 30%
I enjoy playing as Toad in the games where it is an option. I'm sure he has moveset potential even if I can't really think of any.

Captain Toad

I think that he probably missed his shot by not being on the base roster and doesn't have much of a shot for DLC. Being a unique Toad though I think helps him over Toad.
I think he could be cool and I'm sure he would have a fun moveset, I would enjoy seeing him but don't miss him not being there. Others have a higher priority IMO.

Predicition: Layton 24%
Nominations: Ravio x5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Toad/Captain Toad. Combining them together because my reasoning is the same for both

Chance: 10 - Yeah, I don't think so. Thought he might have a good chance pre Joker, but with Reggie's comments I don't see it happening anymore. I do think that out of all possibly Mario characters, minus Geno, Toad has the best chance still, but still feel like it's pretty unlikely now.

Want: 50 - Toad, Waluigi, and King Boo are probably the final 3 unique newcomers who are still active in the series that I would be interested in seeing in smash. Don't really favor one over the other 2.

Noms:
Gen 8 Pokemon x5

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
Toad
Chance:10%-He is already used in one of Peach’s attacks, and a blue version is used in Daisy’s version. But he still gets 10%, because he is popular. Heck, he even got a fake leak for Melee.

Want:80%-He’s a cool character that has a lot of potential. The only problem is, he isn’t the most likely.

Captain Toad
Chance:70%-I know what you’re about to say: But he’s deconformed! But he can’t jump! But he is to expectable to make it in because of what Reggie said! Anyway, now that that’s over I can tell you that, to parody The Rock, It doesn’t matter if you make a cameo appearance on New Donk City Hall! Am I the only person who remembers the whole Toon Link issue! And how they fixed it bye replacing him when you play as him? Well that’s what they could do with him! His remake just came out, and Nintendo’s probably gonna want to take advantage of that! And that’s the end of my rant.

Want:100%-I really want to see what Nintendo could do with his issue of not being able to jump. Plus, would Captain Toadette be an echo or an alt?

Noms:9-volt x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Toad and Captain Toad

Chance: 3%

-I still think all DLC will only be 3rd party.
-The remaining 1st party characters are C tier characters at best and is not enticing as DLC.

Want: 0%

-not that appealing to me.
-I really don't like the Toad species at all.

Layton prediction: 18.97%

Nominate All DLC is 3rd Party x5

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Frog

Chance: 3%. He's a part of Peach/Daisy's moveset. It doesn't look all that good for him.

Want: 30%. I don't want him very much personally. But he really is one of the few notable absences at this point.

Leader Frog:

Chance: 5%. He's more likely than Toad, but not by much. We already got 2 Mario characters.

Want: 30%. I don't want him very much personally. But he really is one of the few notable absences at this point.

Noms: Grovyle x5

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Toad

Chance: 0%

He's still in Peach's and Daisy's movesets. That is not a good sign for him being playable.

I just don't see him as an interesting fighter. He is boring to me.

Captain Toad

I don't think that he's a likely character. The only way I can see him as a likely addition is if they decide to make a sequel.

I also consider him boring. I haven't played Captain Toad yet so don't blame me.

Nom: Kat & Ana x5

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
TOAD

Chance: 2%
It's clear to me that Sakurai doesn't care for Toad as his own character. He's even still a part of Peach's movset and captain Toad was relegated to background cameo...one that you likely won't even see unless your match on New Donk goes on for too long. The dream is dead for me. I don't think he's got any shots in Smash until the next game, when the pool of potential characters is even smaller.

He was my 2nd most wanted in Smash 4 after Little Mac, I just suddenly developed and intense love for the guy. He's been a recurring Mario character in my childhood for as long as I can remember. He's definitely the Mario series version of "Bandana Waddle Dee" except he actually has a way bigger legacy and is more reasily recognizable to the average person than BWD.

I actually would rather get a plain Toad that uses Captain Toad's moves the way Luigi uses his Vacuum as part of his grab and final smash. But i'd be willing to compromise...

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Peach's Meatshield
Chance: 1%:
Sorry, not gonna happen. Way too obvious, is already in multiple movesets, and probably would be overshadowed by a certain other character.
Want: 70%:
I would love a moveset based off Wario's Woods, 3D World, NSMB Wii, and NSMBU. But it probably won't happen.
The Pickaxe Wielding Warrior:
Chance: 50%:
Our most likely nintendo newcomer besides my Bandana Wielding Boi. He had a recent port, was in Odyssey, and could have a unique moveset based off Galaxy, 3D World, and Treasure Tracker.
Want:90%:
I would prefer Paper Mario, but he would be cool. Also a character with a pickaxe that isn't Steve (shudders) would be AWESOME!
Prediction:
The Puzzling Professor: 15%
Nominations:
Hollow Knight x5

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Toad

He's still part of Peach's (and Daisy's) moveset, so I don't think he'll make it in. Besides, there are other Mario characters that have a higher chance of getting in than Toad, like Geno or Waluigi. With Piranha Plant and Daisy confirmed as the Mario newcomers, I don't think they'll add one more, unless it's Geno...

I don't really like them at all. There are other Mario characters that I want first before Toad. It'd be better off being part of Peach and Daisy's moveset.

Captain Toad

He may be the most likely Mario character that would get in as DLC, alongside Geno. But then, he made an appearance in the New Donk City stage so that lowers his chances a bit. Joker's inclusion hurts it even more, since I don't think Captain Toad would be an unexpected character (since many people expected him to appear in Smash). So, unless there's a sequel to Treasure Tracker, I really don't think he would make it in. And again, with Piranha Plant, I don't think they'll add another Mario character.

I like him more than the regular Toad, to be honest. It'd be interesting to see how they would implement a character who cannot jump at all. But still, there are other characters I want first, but Captain Toad certainly is on my list.

Professor Layton Prediction: 25.71%

Nominations:
Nero Claudius (Fate) x5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Captain Toad

Pickaxe-Captain-Toad-2.gif

Whilst not as well known by the general public, Captain Toad is a seperate Toad...although Smash conflicts this a little since regular Toad's spirit evolves INTO Captain Toad.
However, the official stance from the creators of Treasure Tracker(pick it up if you haven't for Christmas, or at least try the demo) is that Captain Toad is not the same Toad that lobbed bombs at Wario, or fought Wart in Subcon.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker was a sleeper hit on the Wii U ranking 15th overall on the console, rivalling the sales for the far more established Yoshi series with it's Wooly World and even beating out fellow Mario spinoff star Wario.

Captain Toad seemed like a relatively likely choice prior to the New Donk City deconfirmation; famous Nintendo character gets own game which is well recieved and was ported not only to the Switch but also to the 3DS.

Instead, he gets a stage cameo...or an easter egg. Which kinda sucks because he only appears every THREE ROTATIONS of New Donk City so many people won't even get to see the Captain in his adorable glory walk on and...look around before walking off. Honestly it's underwhelming, and could easily have been removed with no ill effect on the stage.

Also we got this official bit of promotional work featuring the Captain advertising Smash from Nintendo. Literally dreaming of being in Smash:

oyasumi_chara.png

Somewhat generous, but it's literally because he's the only stage element character I can see that could be removed without any ill effect on the stage. If Nintendo were going first party, I'd still believe he's in with a shot as he had cross promotion with Super Mario Odyssey advertising the ports with Pixel Toads, so it's not like Nintendo is unaware he's become quite popular since his first appearance.

Unfortunately the inclusion gets muddier with Captain Toad's spirit evolving from regular Toad despite them being different individuals(so say the Treasure Tracker creators) and that it also looks like we're going to be heavily HEAVILY third party based. Whilst I certainly wouldn't expect Captain Toad right now, I don't think that's quite what Reggie meant.

Also, the jumping thing is an issue that the Smash fanbase uses itself to reason why Captain couldn't be viable.

He ****ing jumps in his own game:

LOOKATHIMJUMP.png

It's not very high, but he freaking jumps at the end of the Captain Toad Treasure Tracker Wii U game. Also Mail Toad mentions he can wall jump:

MailToad-reveals-Captain-Toads-jumping-ability.png

Want: 999%(or 100% since that's impossible)
It's no secret I'm a big supporter of the Captain(I'm probably one of the most vocal Toad supporters on the site) and I'd love to see the boy in action. Heck, I even ANIMATED a whole moveset for the boy which was a ton of fun because you can get creative with the mechanics in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.

I did, admittedly fall into the trap of making him not be able to jump, and I'd replace the Up Smash with a pair of Boo's either side to give more range and cover, but have a look at this if you're not convinced. It's all stuff Captain Toad either does or can use in his game(with a small aide from Wario's Woods here and there):

Also, yeah...I'm aware of the irony that Captain Toad's grab move became playable whilst Peach's did not. Lovely stuff.​

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Amanita Muscaria

Chance: 1% (normal), 2.5% (captain)

It’s honestly surprising that he isn’t in smash, to be honest. And yet, every Mario main game makes the normal Toad more and more generic as he gets pushed into the background. It’s like he’s the Tom Nook of the Mario series - someone younger and prettier came to dethrone him: Bowsette (srsly though, Toadette’s taking that title)

With the normal Toad stuck up Peach’s bloomers (and his blue-capped cousin getting a little too close to Daisy), things aren’t looking good for them. At least they got a more active role, but they did take a long fall from playable-in-SMB2.

Now Captain Toad, on the other hand, may have a shot. Sure, he’s been spotted on New Donk, but that’d be easy enough to patch out. He’s got his own games now, so he’s quickly growing in importance (and also is getting crowded out by Toadette).

And I’m really tired of this “lol he can’t jump disconfirmed!!1!1” argument. As if no character in Smash has had liberties taken in the first place. That’s the biggest non-issue.

What is an issue though are the Spirits. I’m still on the ‘DLC-will-be-third-party’ train, and the ‘Spirits-are-a-pack-1-disconfirm’ train (poor Tails...I hear his Spirit isn’t even good enough for him...). With the Mario saturation and the likelihood of surprise break-the-internet DLC...oof, Toad’s chances look like shiitake mushrooms.
I really hope than pun is acceptable.

As for me - Toad’s very much like Impa. A character who’s an exposition machine in most games, but really is forgettable otherwise. I don’t need either.

Nom: More DLC x5

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Toad

Nobody can argue that Toad isn't deserving to get in; he is the last true Nintendo All Star not made playable. However, it looks like he will forever just be a part of Peach's (and now also Daisy's) arsenal. I'm guessing he just hasn't stood out enough as a potential fighter in Sakurai's eyes to be included any other way. And from the looks of things, it doesn't look like that will change any time soon.

Piranha Plant is the outlier in my view of additional Mario characters, in that I am happy with its inclusion but I rather not have any more from that series in the game. With that said, Toad, as much as I like the guy, just doesn't have anything that really wows me and isn't so crazy like PP for me to take interest Smash-wise.

-----

Captain Toad

Right now he has a cameo on New Donk City Hall, which doesn't exactly count him out, but doesn't really help him either. Still, with the focus on unexpected picks, I just don't see him being included in the Fighters Pass.

What I said about Toad goes for him as well. Captain Toad just doesn't have enough to stand out to me, with his only known gimmick being unable to jump (something you can't have in a game about jumping around the stage). I'm just going to have to pass on this guy too.

KloupLoup

Smash Cadet
dude that was a really cool animation. pretty unique ideas there, especially like the platform creation. its easy to tell that you really care about the character, and I'll join you in rooting for [captain] toads inclusion (maybe the one included AFTER Waluigi. lol)

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Wario's Woods is the greatest Mario puzzle game ever in my humble opinion and watching Toad slay demons, mermaids, a Ganon clone, a DK clone, AND DEATH with a handful of bombs before coming for Wario...invicinible, super powered Wario was a beautiful part of my childhood. I implore you to try Wario's Woods out if you ever get the chance, because god damn:
Funny you should mention it because it just came out for the Nintendo Switch Online service NES library just today, along with Ninja Gaiden and the Adventures of Lolo. Or maybe that's just why you pointed it out...

Goomba

At this point, it's a wee bit late for Toad to be a new playable fighter. Both Red Toad and Blue Toad are integral parts of Peach and Daisy's respective moveset, and it's way to late to even try to take them out of there and give both Peach and Daisy brand new neutral specials. Chrom was a separate case, where he made a cameo in a Final Smash, but the running gag was that Chrom would get his chance another day, but the Final Smash was just a way to tide fans over. Toad has been part of Peach's moveset since Melee when Peach was introduced, and having Peach's meatshield also be a full-fledged character is something that Nintendo won't do...

Now Toad, as it has been said numerous times before, is truly a Nintendo All-Star, hands down. However, the score I'm going to give primarily comes from bias of me not envisioning Toad as both a unique character and a moveset in Peach/Daisy's arsenal. If Toad was never Peach's neutral special, Toad probably would have been added a while ago. However, Smash has a clearly defined moveset for Peach, and they are going to stick with that. Toad can't be a fighter, because he already is (in the form of Peach)...

Want: 2.%

Goomba with a Hat

Captain Toad is a different story. He is not necessarily a Goomba with a Hat, but a fleshed out character that has had a spinoff game ported to the Switch as well as numerous cameos across many mainstream Nintendo games (specifically Mario games). Captain Toad is also unique enough to fit the bill as a newcomer, with a moveset that can easily be derived from Treasure Tracker all the way to Super Mario Bros. 2 if necessary (even if he wasn't technically in it). While Toad is just a generic character that has appeared countless times throughout the Mario franchise, Captain Toad is a character, and is unique from the rest of the pack. Captain Toad can use any moveset that was geared for a normal Toad, and his role as the Captain of the Toad Brigade gives him even more possibilities stacked on top of the possibilities available for normal Toads (with a much worse recovery). However, he already has a spirit, though no Mii costume. He still is just one named character of an entire species of frequently appearing civilians, which might seem like a positive until we realize that Captain Toad as a character has only been a part of one spinoff game. This might pass for an unrepresented franchise, but the Mario series still has 9 characters, and Captain Toad has only starred in A GAME. That's where Paper Mario passes the Toads...

Chance: 2.5%

He'd be cool to have I guess. He would be representing the most prominent species in the game; of Toads. However, it still might be a bit off putting to see Peach and her Toad fighting a full-sized Captain Toad. To proportionally match Peach's Toads, Captain Toad's size would need to be pretty small. Even with a pickaxe, I don't find Captain Toad, or Toad for that matter, unique enough to be a fighter. I don't have a clear thought process with this one so I'll just write what I'm thinking about the order I think it....

Want: 10%

If you haven't noticed, all of my ratings must be multiples of 2.5%...

Nominations: Impa x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’ll rate the two Toads together because, well whatever

Chance: 7%

I consider both disconfirmed, because they’ve been in Smash. I’m not expecting first-parties regardless. But damn if there isn’t a good resume here. Iconic, that he is. Popular, I bet they both did great in the ballot individually. Relevant, there’s no possible timeline in which Toad won’t be relevant. Headlines his own ****ing spin-off (I have yet to play CT, though I will soon), that’s more than what Rosalina and Bowser Jr. have to their names. All we need is for Captain Toad to get a sequel and a main recurring villain and he’s already more important than Yoshi. It’s worth noting that, for all that he’s got going for him, Sakurai clearly doesn’t know what the **** is the deal with Toad. He seems to think that glorified counter is a proper way to represent him, and that it makes a difference to fans whether he just gets hit or if he looks badass at it.

Regardless, one of the only Nintendo characters I would deign consider likely, and damn if he doesn’t deserve it. It’s baffling that he hasn’t gotten in yet. I wonder why we even had a ballot if such an obvious character couldn’t get in even with it.

Ah well, prediction for Layton at 30% and nominations Mach RiderX5

FROG
CRAPPING FROG

No. These two are basically disconfirmed, as Toad is still stuck up Peach's dress, and Captain Toad is just a background character. They also both have spirits which hurt their already horrendous chances. Neither of them have much moveset potential, and there are other Mario characters I would like to see other than them. Also, Captain Toad can't jump. Another major problem.

Layton: 10.62%

Reaper x5
How do they not have moveset potential? Toad literally has decades of history of being playable in games that he could draw inspiration from.

Also CT can jump canonically, and even if he couldn’t that’s not anything that hurts his chances. We’ve had a plant grow legs.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Chibi Robo, I mean Lip, I mean Ray, I mean Saki
Repeat ad infinitum
Crappy Mama-Mia!
Oh god finally.
Chef Kawasaki
Best option for a Mario RPG rep
It's a plane! It's a boat! It's Paper Mario!
Mr. Game and Mario
The Legendary Series that got Sticker Star'ed
Toon Mario
Tree Paste version of an Italian Plumber
Flat Kingdom
A Third Mario to match the Link, Young and Toon.
The Mario spin-off that went flat
CRAPPING FROG
HEY LUIGI, BOWL OF SPAGHETTI?
Captain bup
Leader Frog:
Peach's Meatshield
The Pickaxe Wielding Warrior:
Amanita Muscaria
Goomba with a Hat
Additional support on why we should give 1 extra nomination to the funniest title as decided by TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom or GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 . See the first post on page 387. We aren't even done with the Toads' day, and we still already have more joke titles than we ever have. Figured I'd mention it again because this case has much more titles per day than the last.

h-h-hey (this is the link), I see you clicked on the spoiler. looking for a couple more players for a game of u-pick mafia where you can choose literally any character, person, or object to play as, fiction or nonfiction. Your role will be based around whatever you choose to be, and we are 1-2 players away before starting. Okay, now I'll d i s a p p e a r - o

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Additional support on why we should give 1 extra nomination to the funniest title as decided by TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom or GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 . See the first post on page 387. We aren't even done with the Toads' day, and we still already have more joke titles than we ever have. Figured I'd mention it again because this case has much more titles per day than the last.
I personally don’t think we should, I mean humor is subjective and I don’t really want to turn casual jokes people make into an actual competition.

I don’t make the rules and still kinda consider myself Wyoming’s replacement, though, so whatever TCT says goes.

But neat idea!

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
dude that was a really cool animation. pretty unique ideas there, especially like the platform creation. its easy to tell that you really care about the character, and I'll join you in rooting for [captain] toads inclusion (maybe the one included AFTER Waluigi. lol)
Thanks a lot! The Toad Brigade can always do with more members.

As for Waluigi; Heck, why can't we have both next Smash?

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
As for Waluigi; Heck, why can't we have both next Smash?
:ultmario:
:ultluigi:
:ultpeach:
:ultdaisy:
:ultbowser:
:ultbowserjr:
:ultrosalina:
:ultdoc:
:ultpiranha:
Waluigi
Geno
Toad/Captain Toad

Not to mention....

:ultdk:
:ultdiddy:
Dixie Kong

:ultyoshi:

:ultwario:
WarioWare rep

These last characters, albeit no longer associated with Mario himself in Smash installments and treated as separate series, really make you take a step back and assess the sheer number of representatives the Mario franchise has at the moment. Geno used to be the only one I was comfortable with, but now that he has been shown off as a spirit, then I will begrudgingly accept Waluigi into a possible Smash 6 as the very last character in the Mario series, if it ever happens at all.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
AFAIK there's no limit to any series characters. As long as they can bring something new, they can get a spot, and nobody in here hasn't brought something new except three of the Echoes who the devs forgot to give differences.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Funny you should mention it because it just came out for the Nintendo Switch Online service NES library just today, along with Ninja Gaiden and the Adventures of Lolo. Or maybe that's just why you pointed it out...

Goomba

Rating coming soon

Goomba with a Hat

Rating coming soon
I had no idea it was out today, I'm just a big fan of the game from the good ol' NES days. Fun coincidence!

Good timing TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom !

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
AFAIK there's no limit to any series characters. As long as they can bring something new, they can get a spot, and nobody in here hasn't brought something new except three of the Echoes who the devs forgot to give differences.
In my opinion, if Smash 7.4 from an alternate timeline has 16 Mario characters and 2 characters for Kirby, DK, LoZ, F-ZERO, Pokemon, etc., there is a high chance that the next character probably won't be a Mario character when there are larger targets for newcomers. My point is that once a series gets represented enough times, the developers' attention will then fall elsewhere. In this timeline, the attention is falling on unrepresented third parties such as Tales and Crash Bandicoot (I'm assuming.) Now, if Smash 6 is indeed a reality, then there could very well be Waluigi, Geno, and either normal or Captain Toad. However, 9 characters plus those three is still pushing it, regardless of what installment of Smash we are in, be it 8, 10, or 13. The Mario franchise should only make up about 12% of the roster, and it is above that as of now. Once we touch 144 characters, according to that, then I would expect to see 12 Mario characters.

Also, really? Which echoes don't have differences? I didn't actually know that (but I extremely doubt that it is because the developers forgot)...

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
BTW I mean practical [gameplay] differences. All of the Echoes have aesthetic differences. Off the top of my head, Daisy and Richter. I want to say Dark Samus is like that too, but she might have differences. Since other Echo Fighters have differences, I believe that the fact that they seem to be nearly 1-to-1 with Peach and Simon at least are kind of weird.

Essentially, my point was "If they can be unique, they should be in."

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I personally don’t think we should, I mean humor is subjective and I don’t really want to turn casual jokes people make into an actual competition.

I don’t make the rules and still kinda consider myself Wyoming’s replacement, though, so whatever TCT says goes.

But neat idea!
I like the ideas of good titles but I don’t know about choosing a best title. They all are pretty good tbh. Keep doing titles but as of now, no. Maybe in the future but we shall see.

SpyroFan69

Smash Rookie
Spyro The Dragon
Chance: 50%
Want: Over 9000%
Opossum, Spyro may have had his remake too late but Donkey Kong and Bowser got into Skylanders which Spyro is in. Nintendo OWES Activision for that! Don’t pull that popularity crap, R.O.B was not popular and he got into Smash. Practically no modern gamers would know who R.O.B is if not for James Rolfe (a.k.a The Angry Video Game Nerd.) How do you not want to hear Spyro’s GOD TIER music in Smash Ultimate? Also, Spyro could get in to get a 2nd chance in Japan. Also, there is an unbreakable rule with Spyro and Crash: “Whatever happens to Crash happens to Spyro.”

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Spyro The Dragon
Opossum, Spyro may have had his remake too late but Donkey Kong and Bowser got into Skylanders which Spyro is in. Nintendo OWES Activision for that! Don’t pull that popularity crap, R.O.B was not popular and he got into Smash. Practically no modern gamers would know who R.O.B is if not for James Rolfe (a.k.a The Angry Video Game Nerd.) How do you not want to hear Spyro’s GOD TIER music in Smash Ultimate? Also, Spyro could get in to get a 2nd chance in Japan. Also, there is an unbreakable rule with Spyro and Crash: “Whatever happens to Crash happens to Spyro.”
We are rating Toad and Captain Toad today, not Spyro.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sorry for being so late, on vacation, not a lot of time to do this.

Over 200

Arle Nadja x280

200 - 151

Rhythm Girl x195
Concept: All DLC will be third-party x195
Nero Claudius (Fate) x170

150 - 101

Grovyle x150
Concept: More DLC x145
Concept: Gen 8 Pokemon x141
Mach Rider x140
Concept: Stages outside Fighter Pass x135
Reaper (Overwatch) x135
Reimu Hakurei x125
Kat & Ana x115
Concept: No fan favorite/highly requested characters x110
Professor Hector x109
Hollow Knight x102

100 - 51

Concept: Third-party character from unrepped Company x95
Impa x86
Boss: Kracko x85
Andy (Advance Wars) x80
Lora (Xenoblade) x75
Porky Minch x66
Sephiroth x60
Concept: SNK rep x55

50 - 25

Concept: Boss Rush x50
Ravio x50
9-Volt x44
Creeper x37
Papyrus x35
Concept: Assist Trophy becomes Fighter x30
Dark Matter x30
Spyro x27
Ninten x26
Thrall (Warcraft) x25
Frisk x25

Under 25

Boss: Perfect Chaos x20
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Pyra & Mythra (sans Rex) x15
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x10
Decidueye x10
Concept: Bethesda rep x10
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x10
Concept: Style Savvy rep x10
Cooking Mama x10
Blacephalon x5
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x5
Amaterasu x5
Monokuma x5
Concept: Another joke character x5
Neptune x5
Concept: Crazi Taxi rep x5
Oliver (Ni No Kuni) x5
Ryu Hayabusa x5
Concept: Free updates (Splatoon-style) x5
Courier (Fallout) x5
Earthworm Jim x5
Concept: Spirits aren’t disconfirmations x5
Scorpion x5
Kamek x5
Lizalfos x4
Toon Zelda x3
Boss: Sans x2
Urbosa x1
[Rerate] Steve? x1

Hollow Knight jumps over 100 noms.

Concept: SNK rep bursts past 50 noms.

Frisk’s determination gets them to 25 noms.

Challenger approaching: Kamek with 5 nominations.

WaddleMatt WaddleMatt Your nominations for yesterday were counted, you posted within the one-hour frame. (Your nominations for today will also be counted)

:ultmario:
:ultluigi:
:ultpeach:
:ultdaisy:
:ultbowser:
:ultbowserjr:
:ultrosalina:
:ultdoc:
:ultpiranha:
Waluigi
Geno
Toad/Captain Toad

Not to mention....

:ultdk:
:ultdiddy:
Dixie Kong

:ultyoshi:

:ultwario:
WarioWare rep

These last characters, albeit no longer associated with Mario himself in Smash installments and treated as separate series, really make you take a step back and assess the sheer number of representatives the Mario franchise has at the moment. Geno used to be the only one I was comfortable with, but now that he has been shown off as a spirit, then I will begrudgingly accept Waluigi into a possible Smash 6 as the very last character in the Mario series, if it ever happens at all.
We can just cut Piranha Plant and Dr. Mario if need be so we can add characters that actually matter to someone.

Last edited:

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Challenger approaching: Kamek with 5 nominations.
Honorable mentions go to Kamek, Concept: Canon Voice Lines, and Dragonite for being deconfirmed before their days, despite being close to the top of nominations.
We had already disconfirmed Kamek for the base game, so it seems unnecessary to rate something that we had taken out of the running before the game had even released...

Spyro The Dragon
While today might not be Spyro's day, if you continuously provide ratings (or abstain), you can nominate Spyro every day to have him be rated by everybody else. You get 5 nominations a day, and currently, Spyro sits at 27 nominations. So, if you want to rate him, then rate Toad/Captain Toad and nominate Spyro SpyroFan69 SpyroFan69 .

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
We had already disconfirmed Kamek for the base game, so it seems unnecessary to rate something that we had taken out of the running before the game had even released...
With DLC, everything goes. People discussed whether stage elements were fair game for DLC, and the general consensus was that they are (along with anything that isn’t Assist Trophies or Pokeball Pokémon).

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
With DLC, everything goes. People discussed whether stage elements were fair game for DLC, and the general consensus was that they are (along with anything that isn’t Assist Trophies or Pokeball Pokémon).
Okay, if that's what we are doing. Just felt that it would probably be best to judge pre-game and post-game nominations with the same criteria, but I can see what you mean by that; we did say that stage elements were fair game after all...

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Toad/Kinopio

Having a In-Battle Role so prominent like being a AT or a tool can be very troublesome for a character's chance; and so far only one exception exists to this kind of situations (Chrom, and he's a bit iffy because he's most likely a late character choice). In the other hand, Toad is very recognizable and has many things to represent with his games, and people in Japan like him a lot, and that kind of stuff I know thanks to stuff like the Kinopio Pictures from Nintendo XD.

Captain Toad:

Chance: 15%

Basically the same stuff I said about Toad except the problem of being a AT/Tool; I would add for both Toads that the DLC focus is what mostly hurts them, because the Toads aren't exciting, they don't have a lot of Smash appeal.

Want: 50% (for both)

I respect the fandom of the Toads/Kinopios and I can see why they want them in the game, after all, Toad is the closest thing we have to "All Star Character" that isn't playable in Smash Bros despite don't being as exciting as other potential choices.

____

Prediction:

Professor Layton: 22.1% (Hey Professor! This time you have the potential of being a runner-up)

Nominations:

Reimu Hakurei x5

Last edited:

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Toad:

Chance: 0%. Generic Toad is not getting in. He's in both Peach and Daisy's moveset, and Captain Toad also exists, which renders him pointless.

Want: 1%. Why would I want a generic Toad when Captain Toad exists?

Captain Toad:

Chance: 5%. It's extremely unlikely that they'll add another Mario character as DLC, especially since we're already getting Piranha Plant, and that the remaining 4 characters are very likely going to be from completely new franchises. Plus he's in the background of New Donk. Maybe he'll get in in Smash 6, but for Ultimate, his chances are dead.

Want: 40%. He's not my most wanted Mario character. He isn't even my most wanted "Captain" from the Mario series (that would be Captain Goomba from the Superstar Saga remake, as a potential summoner character), but I still think that Captain Toad could make for a pretty cool character.

Nominations: Reimu x5

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
TOAD
Chance:
5%

At this rate, I feel Sakurai has cemented Peach's kit to rely on Toad and has even added a bit more Toadiness into her kit. Unfortunately I feel that Toad might not have the greatest chances to enter Smash at this rate as a result.

WANT:

100%

Toad is my favourite Nintendo character. I grew up with games like SMB2, Wario's Woods, SMK - and a lot of media featured the little mushroom retainer as a consistent sidekick to Mario for a very long time. Adorable and fast, Toad to me is one of the few Nintendo All Stars truly not playable in Smash yet. The Toads are consistent having appeared in almost every Mario game to date in some shape or form. Additionally, they have been playable in several platformers as well (SMB2, NSMB WII, NSMB U/LUIGI U/DELUXE/, SM3DW, SMR). Finally, Toad himself starred in Wario's Woods for the NES which also released on the Nintendo Switch Online classics list as of this week. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is another notable mention but that can wait for Captain Toad's area.

Overall, I hope that one day - we can finally have a Toad playable in Smash. We are overdue for one and it would make many of us very, very happy.

CAPTAIN TOAD

CHANCES

40%

Things aren't looking too good for the Captain with the cameos he has in Ultimate. There is always a chance for DLC; however, I'm not too optimistic about this. Captain Toad does not have a massive appeal compared to other characters of louder fanbase so it's tough to expect him to be grouped in the remaining 4 DLC characters. Only thing he has going for him is that Nintendo is picking the characters compared to Sakurai.

WANT
100%

I adore Toad; however, I feel Captain Toad was Nintendo's attempt at recreating the original Toad as his own standalone character. The two are confirmed to be different individuals; however, it makes me very happy to see Nintendo giving this plucky adventurer some love in recent years and I hope we see more of him in the future!

As a sucker for puzzle games, Treasure Tracker suited me perfectly and I definitely recommend it to anyone looking out for a new Switch/Wii U/3DS game. If we get a Toad in Smash one day, I hope it's the Captain - he brings the best of the traits we loved about Toad and expands upon it. And hopefully he brings Toadette alongside him!

It's tough being a Toad supporter for so many years especially since the Melee days ; however, I am very satisfied with Ultimate. Toad is my final wish as a character and hopefully we can see Captain Toad join the fray one day - but till then, keep on exploring Toad Brigade!

Top Bottom