• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Edelgard

40% Chance

Yeah I get it. People are annoyed with Fire Emblem representation. But it works. Fire Emblem has grown massive since Wii U/3DS. Three Houses is gonna be a big deal. There is a reason Nintendo announced it at E3. I feel that while I am skeptical of first party characters, there are three areas that I am willing to look into. Fire Emblem, Bandana Dee, and Elma.

Fire Emblem Three Houses is gonna be so big I can see it getting a promotional character. I feel she easily edges out Blythe due to her design and weapon. I feel her visual distinction and weapon would make her an ideal choice.

100% Want

I like Axe users. I want an Axe user. Honestly I love Axes, they are such cool weapons. Seeing an aristocrat like Edelgard wield a huge axe and crack some skulls sounds awesome. Also she is cute.

Nominating Thrall x 5

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Edelgard:

Chance: 5%. As I said before, while a FE3H rep is extremely likely, it's not going to be Edelgard, since she's not the protagonist. They're far more likely to pick Byleth, since he would actually better symbolize what's the game's about, that probably being the choice to support one of 3 Houses (think birthright and conquest, but there are 3 instead of 2), and is just going to be more recognizable to the general public than Edelgard will be at the time of release and beyond.

Want: 20%. We don't need another FE rep. Simple as that. However, if Edelgard is actually an Axe user, she'd at least bring something to the table, so there's that. It still wouldn't really warrant her inclusion, since all she is is another promotional character that beefs up an already overrepresented franchise.

Nomination: No Fan Favorite/Highly Requested Fighters as DLC x5 (If that's too subjective, then change it to All DLC fighters will be either 3rd Party or Promotional)

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Edelgard

Chance: 25%
Want: 50%

Seems like a likely choice. But it might be too early for her as DLC was probably chosen some time in 2016. Definitely if there's a season 2 of DLC. And at the least, she's an axe user to add variety to FE. But she would br the 8th FE character as well though.

Nominate Concept: All DLC will be 3rd Party x5

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Edelgard
Chance: 60%
I think a Three Houses character is reasonably likely, and I think it would be Edelgard. From what we've seen, she has better moveset potential than Byleth and is marketed more (and therefore likely more prominent) than the other leads. There was enough backlash around Corrin that if they do go with another FE character, I doubt they'd use the avatar again.

Want: 80%
While there are other FE characters I'd rather have, she's more likely than any of them, and I'll gladly take her. We need a non-clone female-default FE character. ****ing Corrin.

Troykv

Smash Master
It is not though.
BTW; do you ended up fixing the name in the schedule?

___

Anyway; I'll post my ratings:

Edelgard

Advantages: Being a new FE Main character is always an advantage. Edelgard seems to be the most important of the three main characters; and the one that will have the closest relationship with Byleth (the protagonist), Edelgard also has the advantage of being associated with the use of Axes; we don't know if her main weapon is actually Axes; but it seems it would be the case.

Disadvantages: Too new; unless is one of the latest DLC, and this is the main reason reason she has 25% instead of 60% (in that kind of situation the only thing that would stop Edelgard of appearing in the game are priorities)... Also Byleth looks like very potential competition, and we don't know how far the capabilities of Byleth go outside of being a Senpai, so they look like the boring choice.

Want: 50%

I'm pretty neutral with the idea of Edelgard as playable characters; at least she looks to be kind of original for a FE Lord.

Predictions:

Dixie Kong: 32.3%

Nominations:

All DLC will be Third Party x5

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Edelgard von Hresvelgr

Chance: 20%
I don't have a good read on if they'd try to push it or if the timing was right for when the DLC options were presented to Sakurai. I suppose it's possible, but it's somewhat difficult considering the game will just be releasing next year. Also, the game has four protagonists, so she's competing with three others just for game representative.

Want: 35%
I should honestly abstain because I don't know what she's like at this point, but I will say that I don't want them putting in someone just because they're an axe user. If they could make it interesting, then it's fine, and with magic Edelgard might work, but again I don't know enough about her. I do think we need more female characters, though.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Axe Waifu

Chance: 10%
Want: 0%

Let me just say it - I think people are massively overestimating her chances...and not without reason.

She does seem to be the new hotness, and with Nintendo deciding on the DLC (and therefore likely favoring promotional characters) and Sakurai likeing Fire Emblem, it does seem likely. Plus, she did seem to make a huge splash when it was announced - after all, who remembers the other two guys who are on the same level as her.

However... Putting aside that Sakurai's stated that Fire Emblem's overrepped and he had to be pressured even to put Corrin in, and the fact that Chrom was added on top of that (though obviously as the most last-minute of the characters considering Robin wasn't even given a new Final Smash...)... And the fact that I'm sure at least one person at Nintendo noticed there was a bit of a backlash to Corrin...

Edelgard's not even the player character of her game. She's the Chrom to Byleth's Robin. She's the Azura to Byleth's Corrin. In other words, if Three Houses gets a character (which is likely and shouldn't be since people will rage), we'll get...another blue-haired swordsman first. There's a chance that they'd skip over him to her, but there's also a chance that they'll just leave Fire Emblem aside and go with mostly third parties as well.

And besides, if Rex is too new to get included in the DLC pass, what's that say about her considering her game's not even out.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Under 25

Grovyle x5
Arle Nadja x5
Rhythm Girl x5
Concept: Surprise echo character DLC x5
Concept: CGI trailers for DLC newcomers (barring Piranha Plant) x5
Reaper (Overwatch) x5
Boss: Kracko x5
Concept: Gen 8 Pokemon x5
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x5
Concept: More DLC x5
Concept: Fighter pass will be entirely first party x5
Concept: DLC stages outside Fighter Pass x5
9-Volt x5

Newcomers for today are... well, everyone! Give the list a look, it’s short. I won’t make a top seven for a while, since the fixed schedule is pretty long. But hey, you can still look at the list and, y’know, count seven from the top.

Will give my ratings soon, not a lot has changed since the last time we rated Edelgard.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Edgelard
Chance: 30%
Sakurai and/or Nintendo does love their Fire Emblems.
Want: 20%
Indifferent to her. She looks like she has a good design though. And axes are nice. But I don't know if I will like her as a character or not.

Nomination
Decidueye x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Edelgard

On chances: I don’t think she’s getting in. She doesn’t appear to be the protagonist of the game for one, plus, after all the comments about Rex, I don’t think we’ll get any promotional reps, and that includes Three Houses. Also, Fire Emblem saturation is a thing, so the only character I can see making it in is Lyn.

On want: I like her design. But I don’t want promotional characters, let them earn their place in Smash. Also I don’t know if she’ll actually be a good character. 5%

(I won’t give out 0% anymore after Piranha Plant)

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Edelgard

Chance: 50%
It really depends whether Sakurai want to add yet another FE Character in Smash or not. She could be just like Corrin in Smash 4, being playable in Smash way before her game even came out. However, with Rex being deconfirmed in DLC, I'm not even sure if we're getting a Three Houses character in Smash at all.

Want: 90%
Like I said before, any Fire Emblem character that is not a sword user is a huge plus for me. And I kinda like Edelgard ever since she first showed up in the trailer, so yeah, I wouldn't mind if they add her in Smash as a DLC.

Nominations:
Nero Claudius (Fate/Extra) x5

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Robin is not the protagonist of Awakening yet got into Smash 4 over Chrom, Awakening's protagonist.
He is the protagonist though, sharing that position with Chrom, though Chrom does take precedence in advertising.
In fact, for the final and most important arc of the game, he is far and away the most important character.
Though I have no doubts Edelgard, along with Dimitri and Claude will be important. It is called "Three Houses" after all

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
He is the protagonist though, sharing that position with Chrom, though Chrom does take precedence in advertising.
In fact, for the final and most important arc of the game, he is far and away the most important character.
Though I have no doubts Edelgard, along with Dimitri and Claude will be important. It is called "Three Houses" after all
Robin is merely an adviser for Chrom all the way up to the final arc. Robin is a main character, but not a protagonist. Chrom is the front-runner in the story for the whole game and the character the player controls on the overworld map. He's the protagonist.

Also, Robin is not an exclusively male character.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Edelgard:

Chance 75. If what I heard about Nintendo picking Corrin is true I feel like there's a really high chance Edelgard, or at least one of the 3 main characters fo the new Fire Emblem game get in. There's enough differences in Edelgard and the regular sword fighters to make her a viable character instead of just Marth or Ike with an axe, which ticks the second box off as well. Only thing that keeps me a bit lower is that sakurai wasn't super ecstatic to put Corrin in the game, so there's a good chance he'll shoot down any Fire Emblem characters for DLC this time around

Want 25. Concept seems fairly good, and it seems like she would be a good mix of Robin and the other sword fighters from the series already. Edelgard would be a fairly tame choice though, and not one that would exactly get me super excited. I'd still likely buy her, but it's not easy to get hyped over a character whose game hasn't come out yet

Noms
Gen 8 Pokemon x5

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Edelgard

Chance: 20%

With Sakurai's comments about Rex being too new to make it in, to me that severely put a damper on the odds of anyone newer than 2014 making it in, plus the aforementioned concerns Sakurai has over FE bloat. It's still possible, especially as a promotional for Three Houses, but very unlikely to me.

Want: 80%

Two reasons why I'd actually want her for Smash.

My main reason I would like to see her in is that she's an FE Lord that uses both Axes and Magic, and is a woman. Hitting a lot of much needed beats for better FE representation than the sword and sausage fest we have now.

The second reason is gonna sound really douchy of me, but to be honest I kinda enjoy watching the community squirm a little bit with how heated and toxic discussions can get around here, and the salt fallout from seeing FE get even more representation would be pretty funny to watch.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Robin is merely an adviser for Chrom all the way up to the final arc. Robin is a main character, but not a protagonist. Chrom is the front-runner in the story for the whole game and the character the player controls on the overworld map. He's the protagonist.

Also, Robin is not an exclusively male character.
Oh yes, he definitely is a protagonist (or a deutragonist or tritagonist if you want to stretch it).
He would defintely count as "the leading character or one of the major characters in a drama, movie, novel, or other fictional text."
In fact, Google "protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening" and see what comes up. He influences the plot chiefly more than anyone else, despite "not being the overworld sprite."
It is, in fact, very possible to have multiple protagonists head a story.

And I'm using "He" because that seems to be the direction IS wants to take with Robin.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Juste Belmont's illegitimate daughter:
Chance: 30%-Knowing Nintendo, it's likely to have a character from Three Houses., However, since there are three main lords in the game, chances are they could choose another one.
Want: 0%-I don't want another Fire Emblem character. I don't care if they use another weapon or have some kind of magic tricks around, many (including myself) have had it with them and Nintendo should know that. Chrom was fine, but everything else is just overdoing it far more.
I know I'll have her in my copy of the game because I'll buy the Fighters Pass, but I'd like to think that won't happen.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Obigatory FE character except not really
Chance: 5%
Even despite Nintendo choosing a selection of newcomers this isn't as likely as people think. It's expected that we're gonna get a repeat of the Corrin situation but people seem to lack the context of how they made it in. First of it was Sakurai's dev team to push him to add in Corrin and not the higher-ups at Nintendo so they won't make that much of a difference. May I remind you Sakurai himself agreed with the ''too many FE characters'' when the number still was at 5. Seeing as nobody has been cut and Chrom's been added on top of that, it would take even more support for more FE to push Sakurai to do it again. Which will be way harder with him likely being aware how much heat Corrin got when they were revealed. Another thing that factored into Corrin's inclusion was their abillity to shapeshift their body into part dragon. Something that was pretty new to Smash roster. With that I may ask: What does Edelgard have to that makes her stand out from the other FE character enough to warrant her being playable. She's a magic user but we already have Robin for that. She's got a sword but so does everybody else. The most unique thing about her is that she uses an ax, however it has never been the goal with FE in Smash to represent the weapon triangle, besides that we kinda already got characters with heavy melee weapons with :ultkingdedede:and:ultganondorf:.
Oh yeah and she apparently has competition with characters from her own game.

No more characters from franchises that already have more than enough! No more characters that are added for the sake of shilling a game a huge group of people don't care about! No more characters from games not yet released in the west! Please give us some variety with this DLC, Sakurai.

Dixie Kong: 21.52%

CGI DLC newcomer trailers barring Piranha Plant x5

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Chance: 0%

If Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is too recent to add Rex or Pyra/Mythra, what makes people think Edelgard could get in? There are also a lot of Fire Emblem reps in the game and Chrom is a FE newcomer. Another reason, Nintendo wants the DLC to sell. After Corrin, they wouldn't do the same mistake twice. Yet another reason, there are behemoths that are sure to sell, have more potential, more demand, etc... Edelgard won't be in.

Not saying I don't like her, I like her design. But I don't know her. And I can't support another FE character when Isaac isn't in, when Lucina is a separate character rather than a costume for Marth (Olimar and Bowser Jr have other characters as costume), when Sonic only has 1 rep...

Also, nominating Chocobo. Likeliest SE rep for me. World of Final Fantasy came out on Switch, new Chocobo game announced to revive the series, iconic mascot, potential as moveset, can reference jobs and other Final Fantasy elements absent in Cloud's kit...

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Edelgauard the Three Houses

I've split her chance from 50% since Byleth is also extremely likely. Similar to Gen 8 Pokemon (or I guess Melmetal), I'm nearly expecting this with the disappointing current possible lineup of DLC. Some point to Rex/Pyra's disconfirmation as a likely reason as to why she won't be in, but this was back when Sakurai was in charge of the roster, and DLC characters hadn't been finalized yet. With Nintendo working on it, it'd seem that they've only been chosen recently, so there's a chance it could happen, though I'll admit this is her biggets problem.

Same situation as Pokemon newcomers, I don't want an advertising character. I could take a character from an older game, such as Hector or Meowth, a little easier than someone from a game that hasn't even released, and is clearly only here to promote X game of the week by Nintendo, especially when characters like Toad, Elma, Dixie, Bandana Dee, etc aren't playable yet.

I'll still be skipping on nominations for now. There aren't many left I feel need rating, as most are already on the schedule.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Oh yes, he definitely is a protagonist (or a deutragonist or tritagonist if you want to stretch it).
He would defintely count as "the leading character or one of the major characters in a drama, movie, novel, or other fictional text."
In fact, Google "protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening" and see what comes up. He influences the plot chiefly more than anyone else, despite "not being the overworld sprite."
It is, in fact, very possible to have multiple protagonists head a story.

And I'm using "He" because that seems to be the direction IS wants to take with Robin.
Google is not Nintendo. The advertising, the merchandise, nothing ever put Robin in the spotlight before Smash.

Regardless, this discussion is probably pointless. I was responding to someone saying Edelgard won't get in because she is not the protagonist, but it seems like you would (with the knowledge we currently have) consider her a protagonist, so even if our definitions of the word differ I imagine we'd come to the same conclusion in this argument.

I play female Robin both in Awakening and Smash so it bugs me when people refer to the character as "he" (and they do the same thing with Corrin, which is infinitely worse). You can talk without implying a gender, as I've done in all these posts. I don't bother to point this out to everyone who does it, only when I'm actually discussing something with the person.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Edelgard - Not gonna lie, I had never heard of this name before. I didn't realize the person in Parallel_Falchion Parallel_Falchion 's avatar was in fact Edelgard. Pretty neat.

Chance - 20%: In the last DLC cycle, Nintendo push Corrin to get in to promote FE Fates which was new at the time. With Nintendo making the DLC picks, it could very well happen again. Though I hope they get the more well-known characters like Dixie in first.

Want - 10%: I'll say this now. I'm not a fan of putting in characters just for the sake of advertising. That's why Corrin got such a bad rep the last time because he/she felt too new. Splatoon was brand new at the time of Smash 4 DLC and got a Mii costume plus Arms has an Assist Trophy in Spring Man. Recent characters should earn their place rather than being handed to them. Inklings deserved to get in and they earned it. Edelgard has a nice design and FE could use other weapons users with axes, lances, and whatnot. Though I would rather see Micaiah in first for Fire Emblem characters.

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
Whoa, I didn't know this already started...

Edelgard

Chance: 40%
I can definitely see Edelgard making it in Smash as a DLC since Three Houses is going to be released next year and the fact that Nintendo themselves planned the DLC. But with how Fire Emblem is being over represented in this game, I'm giving this a lower rating than usual. Still, she might have a chance here since Nintendo planned the DLC Fighters and they'll most likely pick this one.

Want: Abstain
Really don't know much about her.

Nominations:
Concept: A 3rd Party Character from an unrepresented company as DLC x5 (I ran out of ideas, really, so uh...how about that one?)

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
230: Quote
Well, you did it. You really did it. My heart skipped a beat when I saw that, thanks! Now I gotta find somebody else to nominate

EDELGARD

Well, here we are, starting fresh with a new DLC nomination. And because I missed Melmetal's day, I'm going to have to start with a character that we know almost nothing about. So, we have Marth, Ike, Roy, Lucina, Chrom, Robin, and Corrin. I personally am not against the idea of having more FE characters, but there was a large community of people who were against the idea of having 4 back in the days of Sm4sh, and that was before Roy and Corrin were announced in the same game. Now we have Chrom as well, but he is now an Echo fighter along with Lucina. And we have yet to see an axe-wielding fighter, so Edelgard would totally be fine with me in that department. Nintendo probably recognizes her potential to be the most likely FE fighter to be introduced as DLC, but I really believe that even Nintendo is wary about adding an 8th fighter to a series. FE is the second most represented series in Smash, yet they aren't Nintendo's second most popular series, which is my biggest problem. The FE games are great, don't get be wrong. I love all of the FE characters in the game at the moment. But do they really need 8? People thought 8 Mario characters was a lot (yet they added Piranha Plant, one of the biggest negatives for his inclusion), and I think Nintendo realizes that even if they want to promote FE {Tree Houses} Three Houses in some way, a new fighter would probably NOT be the best way to do that...

Chance: 10%

Then again, if Edelgard would primarily use an axe, then I would love to see her in the game just to get that new playstyle. I don't think a FE spear user is needed (because that spot goes to my boy Bandana Dee), an axe user from the series truly is. On top of the fact that she would represent an entire new game, I wouldn't be opposed to her inclusion. Then again, I would rather the final few roster spots go to series that DON'T have 7 current representatives. The score is going to be artificially higher, because hey, dat axe tho...

Want: 25%

You got away lucky today, Edelgard; you were saved by the edge of your axe.

Nominations: Impa x5 (I wanted to nominate a LoZ character, and this seems like the best bet.)

Edit: At this point, I really think that Impa should get a rerate, and that Toon Zelda and 9-Volt be rated for DLC. That being said, I did not want to see them on the set schedule, and felt that nominating again would be suitable. They haven't received a lot of coverage (besides Impa, but she isn't a lock and isn't speculated much for DLC), but would still like to see them up there. I now have a set path to follow.

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Tally the scores for prediction, TCT~Phantom.

Edelgard

Does Nintendo themselves really care for Fire Emblem?

Everyone's (understandably) concerned that we might see a repeat of Corrin, since Three Houses is positioned in front of the DLC period in the same way Fates was back then. But advance screening candidates was a Sakurai thing to do, him being a lover of new and potentially interesting things. Nintendo, on the other hand, is more of a tried-and-true backer, prioritizing established names above anything else. It's more difficult to imagine they themselves (and not Intelligent Systems or Sakurai) giving up such a space to an unproven character.

And this is all without going into moveset potential . Edelgard is apparently an axe user (as well as a sword user, but no one wants to think about that), but a different weapon alone does not a good moveset make. Especially when all we've seen of her so far is her use normal bronze-tier weaponry. She also has magic apparently, but how would that work when we don't know what the magic of the world of Three Houses is like?

People forget that Corrin was a transforming half-dragon, which was a great big basket of moveset potential on their own. Either Edelgard is hiding some serious tricks in her sleeve, or she's about as inspiring as a Lissa inclusion would have been, minus the staves.

Want: 1%
No more Corrins, please--Roy should have been bad enough. It's my earnest hope that Nintendo learns not to repeat Sakurai's gambit of vouching for unproven characters, especially when the last two times gave us, well, Roy and Corrin.

Prediction:
Dixie Kong: 40%

Nominations:
Arle Nadja x5

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Axe Lady:

Chance: 50% - It could probably go either way. Either Nintendo thinks like Sakurai and they're concerned about the FE character amount in Smash Bros., or they want this to be a promotional pick. However, from Sakurai's wording it sounds like he may have had some kind of veto power at the least, so we might not get anymore new FE characters at all if he once again had some concerns, although his team could convince him like with Corrin... I'm not sure.

Want: Abstain - I don't really care.

Predictions:

Dixie Kong 15%

Nominations:

Minecraft Creeper x3
Lizalfos (The Legend of Zelda: OoT) x2

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hmm, thinking about it now, Sakurai did say that Nintendo came to him with the characters and he decided whether or not a moveset could be made for them, correct? If that's the case, exactly how much of Three Houses has been shown off for Sakurai to effectively make a moveset for either Edelgard or Byleth? Granted, he did this with Greninja, but Greninja's moveset in the grand scheme of things isn't all that out of the ordinary for a ninja. What it took with Corrin was a rather unique moveset based on their known ability of dragon transformation. With Edelgard... well, we've seen nothing like that yet. All we know is that they have an axe. But hey, it's :ultvillager: not like we have :ultsimon: any axe users in Smash:ultrichter: already...

Point is, thinking about it a little more, I'm not sure if there was enough there for Sakurai to be inspired with a moveset. Give Sakurai credit, he may have added :ultpiranha:, but to him, that's a work of art. And you know what? I think it's justifiable to see character design that way.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Edgelord

Chance: 5%. Yeah, I really don't see it. I think people are massively overrating her chances because they think a new FE character is "inevitable" or something like that, when it couldn't be further from the truth. There's just so much more going against this character than there is going for her that I feel people are completely ignoring in favor of the latest "Nintendo's gonna pull five Corrins" scare. Why is a Fire Emblem Three Houses rep an inevitability when Rex, a character whose games released well over a year before Edelgard's is slated to, was out of the question and made into a Mii Costume? Why is Edelgard the character to choose when we know next to nothing about her and she isn't even the main protagonist of her own game? Why are we assuming Nintendo would be that tone deaf as to add an eighth Fire Emblem character when people already cried foul at Corrin's inclusion? It's stuff like this that just kills her chances to me, especially considering the only thing she really has going for her is... being a Fire Emblem character from the newest game. (Which is more a curse than a blessing due to, again, poor release timing.) If we get a second wave of DLC, then maybe I can see Edelgard being considered, but as part of the five fighters we know of now... no. Just no.

NO MORE ADVERTISING REPS. PLEASE. Give characters a chance to prove themselves as worthy contenders before just shoving them onto the battlefield without a second thought because $$$.
Furthermore, no more FE characters. The series already has way more Smash rep than what's probably Nintendo's tenth most popular contemporary series is entitled to.

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Has the whole Rex been deconfirmed for being too late thing been confirmed? Last I heard was people still saying it was possible he'd get in in terms of DLC and the Mii Outfit was in regards to the base game. Is it still up in the air and we only have what Sakurai said in the Direct? Cause what he said seemed pretty open ended to me.

1) Edlegard probably will be more prominent than Dimitri and Claude. It won't matter if they are more unique or have more personality, because we are long past "Eww girl character, that makes me girly if I play her" era and far into the "Eww boy character, I want boob waifu to think about later." Game companies aren't dumb in this regard, they will pimp out all the ladies making the "muh waifu" boys very happy while also pleasing the female crowd thinking they are doing it for female representation and equality.

2) She does have potential to be unique with her axe and magic. But so do Claude with his bow and Dimitri with his lance. In terms of a Smash style fighting game, both the lance and bow will differ more from the axe in terms of game play compared to the sword. In terms of looks, all three could stand out with Claude likely being the most stand out since he has a darker skin tone with dark hair. Edlegard's hair actually confused me thinking she is yet another white haired main character but apparently it is slightly blond. Dimitri would stand out from the FE guys, but he'd fail to stand out in visuals from other blond heroes we have.

Unique Gameplay? Claude > Dimitri > Edlegard > Byleth
Unqiue Visual? Claude > Edlegard > Dimitri > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Byleth.

3) In terms of gender politics, she'd be our first stand alone female representative for Fire Emblem as Lucina is a Echo and Robin/Corrin have no true gender.

4) Byleth exists as competition. He is my bottom pick for sure. But he is there.

I play female Robin both in Awakening and Smash so it bugs me when people refer to the character as "he" (and they do the same thing with Corrin, which is infinitely worse). You can talk without implying a gender, as I've done in all these posts. I don't bother to point this out to everyone who does it, only when I'm actually discussing something with the person.
At least you don't have to deal with people actively wanting (only) Male WFT cut cause he confuses insecure guys. That's our biggest sexist offense in the Smash fandom that makes using the M/F acronym for Villager, WFT, Corrin, Robin, or Inkling rather small in comparison since that's more a matter of which that person personally uses.

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Edelgard:

Chance - 5%

I really don't see it happening to be honest. Sakurai was reluctant to add Corrin last time and with this game getting Chrom as a last minute echo I really doubt that from Nintendo's list of fighters he would pick Edelgard axe or no axe. Also does Nintendo really need to promote FE through Smash? FE is a lot bigger now and Smash is already the reason for it, we don't have a reason to continue.

Want - 0%

The game isn't out yet so I can't say if I like the character or not but at this point I would rather have someone who isn't a FE character

Nominations: Rhythm Girl x5

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Edelgard

With Nintendo making the choices instead of Sakurai, she could be someone they would choose to promote next year's game. On the other hand, she might land in the "too new" category.

Want: 20%
It would be nice to finally get a sword-less character from Fire Emblem. However, there are other axe-wielding characters from the series that I prefer to see such as Hector or even Camilla.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Edelgard:

Chance: 5%
I'm gonna be honest. I don't think we're getting a fire emblem rep at all. I don't think any of the five fighters will be FE reps. Sakurai himself said there were too many FE reps before Corrin (i believe he said that dont quote me on it) and then his team kinda forced Corrin in. Now we also have Chrom on top of that. Sakurai would probably refuse at this point, and even then, if the DLC fighters were chosen by Nintendo, they're not gonna put in an FE rep that will sell poorly (due to previous trends with Corrin) and that will certainly receive backlash. If we DO get an FE rep, Edelgard is probably one of the most likely, but I just don't see it happening. That said....

Want: 25%
No attachment to Fire Emblem, but I like battleaxes. :)

Dixie prediction: 40%

Nominating "fighter pass is entirely 1st party or entirely 3rd party" x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Has the whole Rex been deconfirmed for being too late thing been confirmed? Last I heard was people still saying it was possible he'd get in in terms of DLC and the Mii Outfit was in regards to the base game. Is it still up in the air and we only have what Sakurai said in the Direct? Cause what he said seemed pretty open ended to me.

1) Edlegard probably will be more prominent than Dimitri and Claude. It won't matter if they are more unique or have more personality, because we are long past "Eww girl character, that makes me girly if I play her" era and far into the "Eww boy character, I want boob waifu to think about later." Game companies aren't dumb in this regard, they will pimp out all the ladies making the "muh waifu" boys very happy while also pleasing the female crowd thinking they are doing it for female representation and equality.

2) She does have potential to be unique with her axe and magic. But so do Claude with his bow and Dimitri with his lance. In terms of a Smash style fighting game, Both the lance and bow will differ more from the axe in terms of game play compared to the sword. In terms of looks, all three could stand out with Claude likely being the most stand out since he has a darker skin tone with dark hair. Edlegard's hair actually confused me thinking she is yet another white haired main character but apparently it is slightly blond. Dimitri would stand out from the FE guys, but he'd fail to stand out in visuals from other blond heroes we have.

Unique Gameplay? Claude > Dimitri > Edlegard > Byleth
Unqiue Visual? Claude > Edlegard > Dimitri > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Byleth.

3) In terms of gender politics, she'd be our first stand alone female representative for Fire Emblem as Lucina is a Echo and Robin/Corrin have no true gender.

4) Byleth exists as competition. He is my bottom pick for sure. But he is there.

At least you don't have to deal with people actively wanting (only) Male WFT cut cause he confuses insecure guys. That's our biggest sexist offense in the Smash fandom that makes using the M/F acronym for Villager, WFT, Corrin, Robin, or Inkling rather small in comparison since that's more a matter of which that person personally uses.
Rex’s Mii Costume will come with the Fighter pass, so that’s probably because it won’t be redundant and they’re not adding Fighter Rex.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Edelgard:

I'm still leaning on the likely side, but Edelgard is just one of a few options available from this upcoming game. Corrin situation did happen before and people were fuming but...that's ignoring that Fire Emblem has actually become pretty big since Sm4sh with Warriors and Heroes getting more people into the franchise. Heroes alone is the biggest mobile game Nintendo own(Pokemon Go isn't technically Nintendo's...it's messy) but it's beaten both Animal Crossing and even Super Mario on the platform. With Nintendo pushing their mobile service forward lately I wouldn't be surprised if FE was on the table for DLC.

Only things holding me back from a higher rating are Edelgard being too new, not actually being the player character(more a Chrom/Robin situation I guess) and that although I don't know much about this upcoming one, I'm gonna guess there's another two lead characters at least in a game called three houses on top of Edelgard and the player character.

Want: 10%
I've been on a Fire Emblem binge recently. Blame Warriors, the gaming equivalent of a stress ball.

The positives: She has a nice design, can offer something other than more swords which is nice variety for Smash and honestly I want a few more modern Nintendo characters in general.

The negatives: I'd rather Edelgard didn't get added PRIOR to her game being released as that really irked me about Corrin, as their game wasn't out yet...at least for us westerners and ESPECIALLY us Europeans. That said, I'm down with an axe weilder, I'd just prefer if she showcases her popularity first and THEN add her in if she's a popular, similar to Chrom.

As bad as it sounds, I'd still prefer Camilla for an axe wielder since she'd also be a mounted unit. Alternatively Ephraim is a popular mounted lancer unit who could be fun...I just really want to see someone throw a dragon/horse and their rider off in a Smash game. It amuses me so.

Lastly, there's plenty of other popular characters from the series who have people have loved for ages: Hector being the most obvious axe user, Lyn who has been described as 'Western's Marth' in her role as the first lord we were introduced to, the aforementioned Camilla, Tharja(although please no), Tiki, the nurse Joy of Fire Emblem; Anna, and the most recent protagonists of Celica and Alm who have been fan favourites prior to their remake even.

Top Bottom