• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Agumon

Chance: 1%

He isn't impossible, but Digimon is long past its glory days and probably not on too many people's radar. Couple that with what I said earlier about Namco Bandai possibly being content with Pac-Man going it alone and I don't see the chances all too high.

Want: 0%
I never was into the series and only watched a couple episodes back when it had any sort of popularity. With the number of confirmed DLC spots left own down to two, I would rather it be given to someone else.

-----

Jibanyan

Chance: 1%
This is another one of those characters who had much much better odds in a previous Smash installment than now. At the time of Smash 4's DLC, Yokai Watch was quite huge in Japan, but it seems it's popularity has died down considerably and doesn't have the legacy Dragon Quest does. Also, Professor Layton is the more popular pick from Level 5 which might place him above Jibanyan in priority.

Want: 5%
Yokai Watch was an ok series but not one I hold too much connection with either. Still, he gets a couple extra points for being a cat.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Coming in clutch with the late post as usual.

Tekken Rep Chance: 30%

Tekken is an immensibly popular fighting game that has worked with the Smash franchise in the past. Wouldn't be surprised to see somebody make the jump to fighter status. Heihachi was already a Mii Costume once, so...

Want: 85%
Heihachi/Jin are some of my most wanted in the current state of who isn't deconfirmed. I've played Tekken and Pokken myself, and it'd be cool to see how 3D moves are translated into 2D. Regardless, Heihachi is just a cool character and an icon at that.

SNK Rep Chance: 20%
SNK is also an iconic, popular franchise, and a specilation favorite as well. While the series hasn't been associated with Smash yet, it has been more and more associate with NINTENDO as of late. That's still pretty close I guess, but not enough to give it a higher rating. However, they aren't deconfirmed, and it's a plausible direction for a character slot.

Want: 25%
Have not played an SNK game, but Sari Sari , the resident SNK promoter, has convinced me with their posts to give me some motivation. Terry Bogard is kind of an icon, but nowhere near Heihachi imo. Wouldn't hate it, that's for sure, but please make it be unique.

Nominations: 9-Volt x5

TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom and GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 , this is less than an hour after the day close post. Count it if you could; that'd be awesome. Sorry for my consistent (fashionable) lateness.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Abstaining yet again; I have never played either of these, tho my sister still insists that Digimon is better then Pokemon. And honestly I has never heard of Yo-Kai-Watch before I joined Smashboards.
Nominations:
Specter Knight x5

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Agumon
Chance: 30% - Namco-Bandai is working on Smash, and they fully own Digimon in contrast with something like Naruto or Dragon Ball, but he'd have a lot of competition just within Namco-Bandai's list of characters, let alone among third party characters in general. Someone like Heihachi, Lloyd Irving, Nightmare, or KOS-MOS seem like they'd be more likely for various reasons. (KOS-MOS was in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which seems like it would help, and the others are arguably the faces of Namco's biggest non-Pac-Man franchises - I'm not sure who owns Dark Souls, or who the face of that would be)

Want: 90% - Digimon was one of my favourite shows growing up, though I felt like the fourth season had a drop in terms of quality and I haven't watched any seasons beyond that. (I should probably get around to watching Digimon Adventure Tri) Having Pikachu vs. Agumon would be up there with Mario vs. Sonic or Link vs. Cloud for me.

Jibanyan
Chance: 15% - I'm not sure if Yokai Watch is still popular or not; I was under the impression that its popularity was declining, but I could be off on that.

Want: 10% - I have no familiarity with Yokai Watch. From what I've seen of the character's design, he could be interesting in Smash Bros., but I don't know enough about the character to get excited about the possibility of him being included.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Agumon

Chance: 10%

While Digimon was a popular rival to Pokemon during it's Heyday, it's become opn the same level as other Mons franchises now and has been focusing on older audiences. While it did technical start as a Tamagotchi based game, the anime will always hang a shadow over the games unlike Pokemon which has become the opposite for that. Not to mention the competition from mainly Tales and Tekken.

Want: 50%

It would be cool if Digimon somehow did make it in. But I'm more of a Beelzemon kind of guy instead, even if Agumon is the mascot.

Jibanyan

Chance: 5%

While Yokai Watch was a very popular series at one time in Japan, it dropped down significantly like other fad series, even with a Yokai Watch 4 coming out. There's also other popular characters from Level-5. Mainly Professor Layton.

I wouldn't mind Jibanyan. Even if I lost interest in the series like other people mainly in Japan.

Activistion Predictions:

Crash: 46.77%
Spyro: 17.77%

Nominate Velvet Crowe x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Jibanyan

1% Chance

I have never been on the Yo Kai Watch train. It was hyped up as the pokemon killer, it did big things in Japan... That never happened here in the United States. I have heard the games and anime are pretty good, but Pokemon's stranglehold on the genre kind of kills this. It also doesn't help Layton actually had a ballot push unlike the cat, which gives him competition.

0% Want
Yeah I have never been high on Yo Kai Watch. I always found it...fine. It was just never my thing.

Agumon

10% Chance

Graizen Graizen in the past did a great job of making me think more seriously on Agumon. My main issue is just his competition. While Digimon has a stellar history as a monster catcher franchise, having huge franchises like Tales, Tekken, Soul Calibur, and more make it more unlikely.

Abstain Want

Protoman x 5

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Agumon
While Agumon is still a contender and being the mascot of the series means he would probably be picked before any other Mon... the franchise has lost a lot of power compared to its Nintendo "rival". There's just no competing with what is literally the number one media franchise on the planet. When it comes to Bandai Namco, I'd say it currently doesn't hold a candle to either Tekken (second most popular fighting game in the world) or Tales (not the most popular RPG, but one of Namco's most popular IPs nonetheless and milked to death by them).

Even Souls would have a bigger priority imo. I think the only Namco series that Agumon stands a chance against these days are Klonoa and others more obscure than it... which says a lot about its state compared to other Namco properties. That might change with their most recent releases, so... maybe next time?

Want: 10%
I mean... I'm not opposed to the idea, but there are at least 20 or 30 characters I'd rather have instead.

I used to be a big Digimon fan back in my childhood days (and since I'm brazilian, that means I grew up with this). I honestly think, to this day, that the old Digimon anime is way better than Pokémon.

In the games department, though? They never really caught my eye. Only ever played World 3 and 4. The fact that mechanics and evolutionary lines change with every single passing game certainly didn't help. I guess a case can be made for mixing up mechanics from different games for a moveset, but... that's still not enough to convince me.

Jibanyan
Chance: 15%
Slightly higher than Digimon, if only because its popularity has been on a steady decline, but hasn't completely faded into the background yet. However, YKW has way less clout than Layton, literally Level-5's top franchise. And if they're that far away from him... I don't think Jibanyan can compete with the likes of the bigger series from other companies.

I do think that if we were to get a character from YKW, Jibanyan would be the first candidate. He's the Pikachu or Agumon of the series and while he does have the moveset potential... I'm not sure if he would be picked in place of things like Doomguy, Crash, Phoenix Wright and Resident Evil.

Want: Abstain - I don't feel informed enough to make a judgement on this one.

Predictions
Crash Bandicoot: 61%
Spyro: 39%

Nominations
Kyo Kusanagi x5

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Agumon

Chance: 20%

While others have said that Namco may be content with just Pacman, Namco is only one side of the company in question and, from what I've seen, they like to remember their origins as two separate entities. Digimon is probably the biggest franchise to ever come out of their Bandai side and it's a lot more suited to Smash than the Tamagotchis on which it was based. I reckon Agumon has a decent chance, if not a great one, and I don't see Tales, Tekken or Soul Calibur as quite the competition that the rest of you seem to.

Want: 90%

With Banjo on his way and most of the other characters that I wanted in as assist trophies, Agumon is probably my biggest want right now. He just loses out a little bit to not being Patamon.

Jibanyan

Chance: 7%

I don't see this happening. Yo-Kai Watch tried to make it big but never really succeeded and doesn't have the history of Digimon. It's possible but I see no reason to include it.

The franchise is childish and the character annoying. I'm not into this possibility.

Nominate Velvet Crowe x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Digimon Music

Here is some music to get into the Digimon mood:

Yo-kai Watch Music

Here are some songs to get into the Yo-kai Watch mood:

I know I included a non videogame song for each series, but the videos were so popular and the animes are pretty big to both series that I just had to include them. Also the Digimon theme is catchy as hell.

I'll post my ratings in a bit.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Agumon

Chance: 20%. Given that Pokémon is one of the major franchises, a digimon rep, would turns things around, making this an even more of a crossover. Of Course Agumon has competition from other fighters, including some of Namco's own.

Want: 55%. Agumon would be an interesting choice, and seeing it fight the Pokémon would be a delight. That Digimon would be fun to use as well.

Jibanyan

Chance: 15%. Not as high as Agumon, but has a chance. Competition would be fierce, but the chance could rise.

Want: 50%. Jibanyan would be an interesting character choice. It would be fun to play, but for right now, Agumon is more likely.

Noms: 2 for Black Shadow and 3 for Marx

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Abstaining on Jibanyan due to unfamiliarity with the Yo-kai Watch series.

THE Digimon

The main issue that Agumon really faces is stiff competition from other Bamco franchises, notably Tekken and Tales, both of whom are much more popular than Digimon right now. Though, on the plus side, Pokemon vs. Digimon is one of the most notable retro rivalries out there (Not quite to the level of the red-capped plumber vs. the blue blur, but it's quite notable in its own right), so that should score some brownie points.

Want: 70%.
Outside of Yuri Lowell and Reimu Hakurei (Seriously, Reimu in Smash when?) Agumon would be, alongside Crash, a strong contender for one of the characters I want the most. It'd also be interesting to see how they incorporate the evolutionary stages of Agumon into Smash (or even WHICH evolutionary line they go for- Data Squad's GeoGreymon->RiseGreymon->ShineGreymon->Burst Mode? Or the more classic Greymon>MetalGreymon>WarGreymon>Omnimon?). Plus, again, Pokemon vs. Digimon is a retro rivalry and I have a soft spot for those outside of incessant versus debating.

Noms: Reimu rerate x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Agumon

Digimon is owned by Bandai Namco meaning Agumon would have to compete with characters like Lloyd Irving and Heihachi. I feel those two characters have much more going for them which is a big blow to Agumon's chances. While Digimon seems to be doing alright, its big craze from the late 90's/early 2000's has sort of died out which is why I think it will have less priority than Tales or Tekken.

I had some Digimon toys when I was younger but I never actually got into the series too much. Maybe someday I can get into the series for real this time though for now I have no interest in a Digimon character.

----------

Jibanyan

There is no denying that Yo-kai Watch was a massive hit in Japan. For its first few years it almost made Pokemon start to sweat and Jibanyan himself will even be an ambassador for the Olympics.

No, not some obscure Japanese-only event: THE ACTUAL 2020 TOKYO OLYMPICS. Regardless of your thoughts on the series that is a pretty impressive feat for a franchise that isn't even 10 years old yet.

1565671468543.png

That said though, worldwide appeal seems to be a big factor for DLC characters as Sakurai even said he added the DQ VIII Hero alt to appeal to western fans. The series never really kicked off that much in the west and Yo-kai Watch has actually been majorly declining in popularity in Japan. This decline started around 2015/2016 and AFAIK hasn't really recovered much since. On top of all of this, there is a chance he'd have to compete with Professor Layton if we were to get a character from Level-5.

Like Digimon I don't care about Yo-kai Watch at all. I'll give a few points to Jibanyan though since I like their design more.

----------

Crash prediction: 48.35%
Spyro prediction: 16.21%

Nominations:
Concept: Rockstar Games rep x15 (daily 5 + my extra 10 noms)

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Agumon

Bandai Namco is working on the game and the only other characters from the company that give Agumon competition is Heihachi and Lloyd Irving and I am not too high on their chances for different reasons. I don't want to go too off topic but Sakurai has said in an interview that he considered Heihachi for Smash 4 but didn't believe his moveset could translate well and Lloyd would have difficulty standing out from other swordsman though I don't know much about him so I won't discredit him.

As for Digimon, it is somewhat of a niche series. The games sell well and the franchise has lasted for around 20ish years. However, it is simply not popular like Resident Evil or Doom for example. For this, Nintendo might consider Agumon (the mascot of the series), but might push him aside for someone like Leon Kennedy who will make more money. I feel that Digimon is still a big enough name that a character could still sell fine, but overall I'm not too confident on seeing a Digimon get into Smash.

Want: 100%

I love Digimon. I grew up with the Rumble Arena games and the anime. I would be ecstatic if any Digimon made it into the biggest crossover of all time and maybe people will give Digimon more respect rather than write it off as a Pokemon clone.

I'm abstaining on Jibanyan as I don't know enough about the character to make a fair judgement.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Agumon

Chance: 50%

The idea of bringing the character to Smash bros was born in me and some other people a long time ago, more precisely at the time of Smash bros Brawl. When Sonic entered the game we noticed that the character had gained traction thanks to also being a great rival of Mario, and that was the same thing with Digimon compared to Pokémon, there was a rivalry.

Digimon is today the second largest franchise that Bandai Namco has, a short time ago surpassed the Tamagotchis (considering that Digimon also has Tamagotchis to this day).
Bandai Namco's three largest franchises are Pac-man, Digimon and Tamagotchi. We know that Pac-Man is already in the game, and that Square Enix recently put its second character on Smash Bros, and that character, Hero from Dragon Quest, is also Square Enix's second largest franchise second only to Final Fantasy, which also already It's in the game.

The push to make Digimon grow is huge recently, with new movies, big events, new anime, and many new games being successfully released worldwide.
We recently had the announcement of two more Digimon games for the Nintendo Switch, Digimon Story CS and CS Hacker's Memory, both in their full version, as well as a brand new game called Digimon Survive that will be released on Nintendo Switch in 2020.
The fact that so many Digimon games are appearing on Nintendo's biggest console is not only coincidental, after all it would be stupid for a company not to boost its second largest franchise worldwide through the most famous console of recent times.

New Digimon Tamagotchi has been unveiled in Japan in recent weeks, with new Digimon being unveiled in large quantities! In addition recently new Digimon Tamagotchi have started to be sold in US and European stores, showing that Bandai also wants to boost Tamagotchi sales along with Digimon.

And what bigger than that, than the biggest game of EVO 2019? The biggest crossover ever in video games? Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Putting a Digimon there would be a gigantic feat that would surely bring a huge amount of new fans in search of Digimon franchise games and other products. Remembering that many people around the world are in love with Digimon, a love coming from over 20 years.

Back to talking about the rivalry, which was so great at the time when the anime "Digimon Adenture" was on television while Pokémon was on other channels. This rivalry was wonderful, as great as the rivalry between Mario and Sonic, made children around the world discuss which was better. I remember endless conversations between fans of both franchises about which one would win in a battle, WarGreymon or Mewtwo? Who knows! But the important thing is that this rivalry still exists! And it sure would make the internet explode.

Agumon was not the first Digimon, but over the years he has become the great mascot of the franchise, and has been the main character in many games, anime, manga and even movies! He represents the franchise just like Pikachu, and thanks to that it's as big as the electric mouse for many people.

His moveset could be a representation of what transformations were in Smash Bros in the past, but with a huge focus on energy expenditure.
He could turn into Greymon, MetalGreymon and WarGreymon. In a Final Smash? Perhaps! But the important thing would be the enormous emphasis on creating a character that is never the same, and that forces your opponents to adapt to different shapes with different gameplay. Maybe returning to Koromon when expending too much energy could be a way of balancing his strength, but this I leave in the hands of Master Sakurai.

Digimon started as a Tamagotchi in 1997, an LCD game that is also seen as a toy, and through it Digimon has gained huge popularity selling over 14 million units worldwide.
Then we started to have many games, adding more than 10 games on Nintendo consoles through several different consoles like Nintendo DS, 3DS, Game Cube and Nintendo Switch.

Thanks to all this Agumon is in my opinion the strongest candidate from Bandai Namco and also the character I would most like to see joining the cast of Super Smash bros.

And I doubt each of you would not want to see a fight between him and Pikachu or Charizard!:grin:

Abstaining on Jibanyan due to unfamiliarity with the Yo-kai Watch series as well! Im sorry!

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
That one 6 year old kid on Halloween who's mom bought him a discount Agumon costume from an Ebay scammer and told her kid it was called "Charmander": LOOK GUYS! I'M CHARMANDER!

*Dead silence followed by maniacal laughter on the playground*

Abstaining on Agumon. Just wanted to make that joke.

Jibanyan
Want: 75%

While Yo-Kai Watch is very successful in Japan, and even outsold Pokémon at one point, it didn't do as well in the west. Jibanyan also competes with Professor Layton since they are both owned by Level 5. Layton is also a lot more requested than Jibanyan, and even had some ballot support. I did enjoy Yo-Kai watch 1 and 2, so I would be cool with Jibanyan making it in. Also I love cats, and his personality, so he gets an extra 25% want score.

Crash: 63.93%
Spyro: 12.68%

Concept: Fortnite character x10 (hate me all you want lol)

(My least wanted list would've been updated to remove Fortnite representation a while ago, but this website has done nothing to fix the red X glitch for MONTHS.)

Last edited:

Pxllation

Smash Rookie
NNID
Negatron341
Switch FC
SW-3793-0583-6602
Agumon

Chance: 60%
While at first this may seem a bit generous for a chance rating being this high for a character that 90% of the people here think has close to none, here me out on this first.
  1. Digimon as of right now seems to be in a very interesting spot when it comes to video game releases this year as there's a total of 3 games coming out onto the Switch, 2 are ports that being a special edition of both Digimon Cyber Sleuth and Digimon Hacker's Memory bundled into one cartridge coming in October 18th and the other is Digimon Survive which as of this post going up, still has no release date other than 2020. While this may seem like an arbitrary point to bring up, it's mainly to show that Bandai Namco is starting to push the series to a bigger range of audiences. (Plus it's not the first time Digimon has been on Nintendo consoles or handhelds)
  2. Agumon's main competiton here as many have pointed out are Heihachi from Tekken and Lloyd from the Tales which may present a huge obstacle in the way, however! While this is not a definite deconfirmation yet, Heihchi seems to have been reduced to a taunt for Pac-Man, a more painful fate than a Mii Costume and speaking of Mii Costumes, it's rather unknown what has happened to the Heihachi and Lloyd costumes if they even come back at all. And as for Lloyd himself(while this may sound like a personal gripe), at face value, this man just looks like another typical "anime swordsmen" BUT WITH 2 SWORDS, Wow! All I'm saying is, we already just got another swordfighter that was already part of this fighter pass, but really that's all I can think of against Lloyd, if I'm being honest with the current evidence we have, Lloyd is really Agumon's only threat here. Well him or someone else to represent Tekken.
  3. This only a minor thing to point out but this year was also Digimons 20th anniversary, coincidentally the same year that BN started to push out a lot of Digimon related content such as the announcement of a new show, Digimon themed food at Tower Records Omotesando Cafe? And the aforementioned new game and ports

Look, this thread will obviously feel a bit one sided here but Agumon has been my most wanted fighter since Brawl, just the very idea of Digimon and Pokemon going to head to head in an official Nintendo game is just amazing to me (Kinda like the Mario vs Sonic idea but maybe on a smaller scale). The thing that I think would make him a very unique fighter would be a digivolution mechanic based on how well Agumon performs in battle similarly to how well people looked after their Vpets which determined what your Digimon would digivolve into. (Depending on the digivolution, your strength will either be increased or decreased). irrelevancy is also out of the question here as well, need we bring up the Kremling King himself or the Bear-Bird duo?

Jibanyan

Chance: 55%
I'm not very familiar with Yo-Kai as a whole so I can't really give a full on opinion of it as I haven't really been exposed much to it, not to mention I didn't have the handheld it was exclusive too which I'll admit is a huge advantage in Jibanyans favour over our yellowly reptilian friend. Because of this I do find my argument to be kinda unfair in a way for Jibanyan as I can only state what I've seen come out of it or again what others have said before (if that made sense) so things like "very popular in Japan" "steadily declining as of recent years" etc.

So yeah, because I never got much exposure to the series outside of one or two episodes of the anime (which is okay I guess?), I can't really say my honest opinion other than...well I wouldn't be too excited to see Jibanyan join the fight but I would certainly would not be opposed to it (well unless me being salty at the fact he got in over Agumon but other than that, nah I wouldn't be mad but not excited).

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'll be posting the nominations/calcs for the next day or so:

Heavy (Team Fortress) x198
Crono x165
Kyle Hyde x165
Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer) x165
Saber (Fate) x157
Kamek x154
Concept: Rockstar Games rep x145

150 - 101

Ellie (The Last of Us) x125
Velvet Crowe x120
Rundas x115
Gene (God Hand) x115
Specter Knight x115
Ninten x110
Protector (Etrian Odyssey) x105
Adeleine (Kirby) x102

100 - 51

Aloy x100
Terry Bogard x100
[Rerate] Micaiah x100
Concept: Valve rep x95
Boss: Kracko x95
9-Volt x90
Frogger x85
Glover x85
Captain Rainbow x82
Noctis Lucis Caelum x80
Jin Kazama x75
Blaze the Cat x70
Concept: More Bosses x70
Sunflower (Plants vs. Zombies) x70
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x70
Concept: Another western character x70
X (Mega Man) x68
Kyo Kusanagi x65
Lara Croft x60
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x60
Brian (Quest 64) x60
Papyrus x56
Decidueye x52

50 - 25

Kratos x50
Proto Man x45
Amaterasu x45
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x40
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x40
Farmer (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons) x38
Gooey (Kirby) x37
Concept: DLC challenges x35
Earthworm Jim x33
Concept: Assist Trophy becomes Fighter x30
Qbby x30
Cooking Mama x30
Gex x27
Thrall (Warcraft) x25
Boss: Perfect Chaos x25

Under 25

Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes fighter x22
Reporter & Wrestler x20
Tora and Poppi x20
Johnny Silverhand x20
Concept: Spirits aren’t disconfirmations x20
Nightmare (Soul Calibur) x20
Concept: Grookey's final evolution x18
Marx (Kirby) x17
Black Shadow x17
King Boo x16
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Pyra & Mythra (sans Rex) x15
Concept: Another joke character x13
Concept: Lord Fredrik as an Echo Fighter of K. Rool x12
Mike Jones x11
Concept: Bethesda rep x10
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x10
Beat (Jet Set Radio) x10
Concept: Spectator Emotes x10
Concept: Medabots rep x10
Sir Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins) x10
[Rerate] Tetromino x10
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x10
Magolor x9
Toon Zelda x8
Gordon Freeman x8
Concept: At least one fighter in the Pass is not third-party x8
Blacephalon x5
Neptune x5
Concept: Crazi Taxi rep x5
Oliver (Ni No Kuni) x5
Courier (Fallout) x5
Scorpion x5
Concept: Another literally who Level-5 Character who's popular in Japan, like Achilles or Mark Evans x5
Starman (Pro Wrestling) x5
Malzahar (League of Legends) x5
Concept: Master Chief Mii Costume x5
Worm (Worms) x5
Balloon Fighter x5
Tiz Arrior x5
Rash x5
Concept: League of Legends rep x5
Serious Sam x5
Concept: A character outside the Fighter Pass x5
Goemon (Mystical Ninja) x5
Urbosa x5
Concept: Devolver Digital rep x5
[Rerate] Sans x5
Concept: Idolm@ster rep x5
Lizalfos x4
Concept: No More DLC x3
Concept: More Fighter Passes x3
Boss: Sans x2
Sub-Zero x2
Concept: Street Fighter Mii costumes x2
Rad Spencer x2
Stahl x1
Duster x1
Pappy Van Poodle x1
Dr. Eggman x1
Toon Zelda & Tetra x1
[Rerate] Chibi-Robo x1

Saber seals past Rockstar Games rep and Kamek, ends the day in fifth place.

Adeleine draws over 100 noms.

Kratos reaches 50 noms and so he is safe from the purge.

People with extra nominations:

3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus 5
Awakining Awakining 5
DaUsername DaUsername 50
Delzethin Delzethin 5
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 40
Nemuresu Nemuresu 10
PapillonXtreme PapillonXtreme 5
RealPokeFan11 RealPokeFan11 5
Ridrool64 Ridrool64 5
Sari Sari 10
shocktarts17 shocktarts17 5
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 5
Ultomato Ultomato 5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
After reviewing the front page, I edited the rules a bit for DLC.

1. I ultimately removed previous rule 6 about certain veterans, given that that was all the way from March of last year.

2. Rule 2 was separated. The first part on civility remains the same. As for The 2/2 rule, that is now the new rule 3.

3. The rule on deconfirmed characters is gone now. I honestly think they are unlikely, but at this point they offer something interesting in discussing say Waluigi or Isaac since they have a fan demand and DLC could have a season 2 and anything can happen.

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Agumon

While a Digimon rep seems plausible at first since it is one of Bandai Namco's most famous franchise, but that was way back then. Nowadays, it is heavily dwarfed by other franchises, especially ones from Bandai Namco like Tekken and Tales. And as such, they face stiff competition with those two series for a spot as the second Bamco fighter. Competitions aside, I think a Digimon rep isn't impossible despite not being as popular as it was back then and Agumon would certainly represent the franchise since it's one of the most iconic Digimon. But with so many competitions, especially the two aforementioned Bandai Namco series, this really hinders their chances.

I'm not really a fan of Digimon in general, but I have played Digimon Battle Spirit on the GBA ever since I got it from a video game store and I really loved that game. Basically, I don't mind if Agumon were to get in Smash but I want other third-party characters to get in first before Agumon.

Jibanyan

Like Digimon, Yo-Kai Watch was very famous in Japan back then, but nowadays it had a decline in popularity. Competitions from other third-party characters is still there since there's only two slot left in the Fighter's Pass, the only difference is that Jibanyan only had one obstacle it has to face from it's own company and that's Professor Layton. But it still hinders it's chance from getting in since Professor Layton is more likely to represent Level-5 than Jibanyan due to his games being all Nintendo exclusive and the fact that many people want him over Jibanyan. Still, Jibanyan is more likely to get in than Agumon due to Yo-Kai Watch is still talked about by some people despite the decline in popularity, which gave it an edge over Agumon in chance rating.

Unlike Digimon, I haven't played any Yo-Kai Watch games and as such, I have no real attachment to Jibanyan. Besides, I'd rather have Professor Layton represent Level-5 instead of Jibanyan. Like I said, there are other third-party characters that I want in first before Jibanyan and that's all I care about.

Predictions:
Crash Bandicoot - 58.34%
Spyro - 16.11%

Nomination:
Saber (Fate) x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Two other things for housekeeping, I will be going away in Maine from August 17-21st. As such, the rest of the RTC team will be taking over for a few days. I might log on to edit titles, but expect me not to rate much since I will be on the lake with the boys.

Also after Day 315 (The Knight (Hollow Knight) and Maxwell), the noms purge will take effect. For the next two days, there will be a x 10 in place for noms in order so you can save your character potentially.

Also I did my write up for Crash and Spyro. It is very emotional on want and very optimistic towards Crash.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Agumon

Digimon seems to be going through a bit of a resurgence lately, given the anniversery. This includes some games coming to the Switch. However, Bandai Namco are still such an enigma when it comes to how they want to participate in Smash, so I don't feel comfortable betting on him.
Want: 80%
I'll admit, I haven't played any of the games. I only know about the series thanks to Billiam's Digimon retrospective. However, Agumon has proven to be an enticing pick for Smash.

Jibanyan

I mentioned this with Layton, but I do think we are getting a Level-5 rep in the DLC. Problem is, it's a coin flip between him and Jibanyan. However, Jibanyan could easily be used to promote Yo-kai Watch, similar to Hero promoting Dragon Quest.
I actually really like Yo-kai Watch. It does a lot of things to stay different from Pokemon. Jibanyan would also have a lot of moveset potential.

Nominations: Dwight Fairfield x10 (assuming that starts today)

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
Agumon
Chance: 0%
Not worth entertaining.
Nothing against Digimon. I just don't really think it belongs in Smash.

Jibanyan
Chance: 0%
Not worth entertaining.
Don't know jack about Yo-kai Watch. Doesn't look like it belongs.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Pokémon "Rivals":
Chance 5%-In Agumon's case, I just find it to be an issue of competition with other Namco characters such as Heihachi, Lloyd and KOS-MOS; and also a thing of Digimon not being that really popular nowadays. As for Jibanyan, while I would've given him a bigger (and separate) rate, Yo-Kai Watch's enormous decline in fame, even in Japan, tells me he's just not as likely as he would've been a few years ago.

Want: 0%-Perhaps it's because I'm a Pokémon nerd, but I just don't see anything interesting about crossing it over with Digimon or Yo-Kai Watch. I don't find anything about their franchises to be attractive. And with so many other possible crossovers that can be done through Smash, I'd rather see other game series.

Predictions:
Crash: 31.45%
Spyro: 18.37%

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Agumon

Chance: 10% - Digimon is somewhat of a dark horse candidate in the Namco race and as a Prince of all Cosmos fan I can sympathize with him. He has also been going through a resurgence lately to some extent and having some new games come to Switch definitely helps his case. However, with rumors that Namco will have no new reps, alongside some extremely tough competition, things aren't really looking up for Agumon.

Want: 0% - Nothing against Agumon of course, In fact I think he'd be much more interesting than Lloyd or Heihachi and a cool surprise pick. But my most wanted character, as I previously mentioned, is the Prince of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy. Agumon getting the Namco slot means no Prince, so I'll have to give him a 0 here.

Jibanyan

Chance: 20% - Level-5 has really shown Nintendo loyalty with the Nintendo exclusitivity of the series. Plus the franchise's popularity had Pokemon sweating for awhile, which is incredible (and I'm saying this as a huge Pokemon fan). Plus Jibanyan has what it takes to be a unique entry. However, Yo-Kai Watch has recently taken a nosedive in popularity and, while it would've been a good promotional pick during the Smash 4 days, isn't nearly as appealing nowadays. Though the newest game is coming to the West after 3 was Japan exclusive, and he got decent support in the ballot, so we'll see what happens there!

Want: 10% - I've never been much of a fan of Yo-Kai Watch but it'd be interesting to see what Jibanyan would bring to the table.

Nominations:

[Rerate] Dovahkiin x 10 (not sure if this'll save him from the purge but it'll help!)

Predictions:
Crash - 35%
Spyro - 17.3%

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Per the request of Graizen Graizen , I've come to give my opinion on Agumon's chances.

I'm going to be somewhat generous and give Agumon a 50/50 chance. The franchise competition Digimon has among the franchises Bandai Namco own is Tekken, Tales, Soulcalibur and maybe Xenosaga, but as Sakurai himself has said: Tekken, and SC by extension, have inherent issues due to how their fighting game mechanics works: Sakurai would want, say, Heihachi to function mechanically like his home game (just like Ryu and Ken do), but that causes inherent issues because the main gimmick of Tekken is it's 8-Way Run system. Is it impossible? No, but Sakurai is as Sakurai does. That means that Agumon's only real competition is KOS-MOS or a Tales character like Lloyd Irving. The thing is, much as I hate to use this argument, neither KOS-MOS or Lloyd Irving are relevant to Bandai Namco as a company, while Digimon as a franchise still is.​
For all the people saying Digimon is past it's prime/heyday, I'd like to let them know that this argument only really applies to the Anglosphere. Digimon never went away in Japan (and it was also incredibly popular in... either Brazil or Mexico, I can never remember). Either way, Digimon is one of Bandai Namco's top earning franchises (that are not Licensed like Dragon Ball, One Piece and Gundam), PAC-MAN and Digimon both make Wikipedia's list of highest grossing media franchises, Tales, Tekken, Soulcalibur and Xenosaga do not (Tamagotchi does, though; though it earns less than Digimon).​
I'll also note that Vergeben has supposedly said Heihachi isn't happening, I'd take that with a grain of salt but it's something worth noting.
I'm not going to sugar-coat the fact that Agumon is in my top three most wanted characters. And I'd like someone in Ultimate that I actually want.​

As for Jibanyan, I'm going to have to pass on that. Jibanyan has a chance but I don't want him.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Agumon "Pepper Breath"

Chance: 60%

I'm not sure were the general consensus for Crash Bandicoot was but I would say Agumon has the same chance if not greater. With where the speculation scene is currently it seems there are two requirements to be on the high end of being likely in smash:​
  1. Have a history with Nintendo in some regards
  2. Have more recent entries on a Nintendo console currently
Agumon fits both of these conditions just as well as Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Doom with Digimon having a port of a high rated game coming to the Switch (Cyber Sleuth) and a new game next year (Digimon Survive).​
For anyone with the argument that Digimon is an anime this is an untrue fact, Digimon started as a Virtual Pet Sim and then became Digimon world 2 months before the anime aired. Although Digimon succeeded in the anime area far more than the games Bandai has consistently released Digimon games many of which appear on Nintendo systems.​
Got to say wouldn't an evolution mechanic be amazing as well, none of the other highly speculated characters have nearly as much potential for an amazing moveset like Agumon.​

I've given up my main hope of Sora coming to the game and would think that Agumon would be a more surprising pick and bring a different audience to the smash games. I grew up playing the Digimon Virtual pet sim and the first game but later moved to Pokemon Sapphire leaving the Digimon franchise (kept watching the anime though), with how the Pokemon company has been handling Pokemon lately I decided I'll try out Cyber Sleuth and get back into Digimon.​

Abstaining from Jibanyan but I don't see the character as being very likely anyway.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Agumon

I'm going to focus this entirely on the games because I think that's what is important to Smash. I have a huge amount of nostalgia for Digimon as a property, I spent a lot of time in my youth being very into it. But I also bought a LOT of disappointing Digimon video games. And to me that's a big problem. Digimon don't have a game that has set the sales or critical charts on fire. And when you're competing with the likes of Castlevania, Mega Man, Street Fighter, Pac-Man, Sonic, Persona, Dragon Quest; that absolutely means something. Digimon's strongest foot forward was the anime, but it took Bandai till 2013 to make a game that felt like the anime (give or take a Rumble Arena) and even then it only got a 29/40 from Famitsu. At least Pokemon released Yellow within a few years.

And that's before we get on to the competition from Namco Bandai's more centralised gaming properties. Tekken, Tales, Dark Souls (ish), Katamari, Xenosaga, Klonoa, Soul Calibur and a whole host of arcade greats like Dig Dug. They have a lot of viable options for characters to get through before they hit Agumon. All of which mean more to the art of video games than Agumon does.

As I've said, I loved Digimon as a kid. Watched all the anime I could, and came back for the Adventure Tri series a few years ago. But almost all of my affection for the franchise comes from the non video game stuff. I've owned digivices, figures, trading cards, games, dvds and plushes. I dragged a load of friends to see the movie in cinemas for my 9th birthday. I still love the franchise, and have no ill will towards Agumon. But if Smash is supposed to be a celebration of video game history, I would prefer to see something with that gaming pedigree.

Jibanyan

Conversely, Level-5 has a lot less competition for a rep than Bandai Namco with Layton being the biggest competition. I still think Namco, Capcom and Koei are the three to be looking at, but I'd be remiss to not giving Level-5 more of a chance. Especially when they do continually support Nintendo with exclusive titles. But I do think the Japanese exclusivity of Yo-kai Watch 3 to Japan is a mark against it. The franchise hasn't taken off in the west in the same way that it has in Japan. And whilst we've had characters in the pass that catered to one market or another, I do think the last two slots are going to be more globally appealing than what we've had up to now.

My want score again comes down to the fact that Yo-kai Watch feels like a lesser franchise. Obviously it sells massively and won GOTY from Famitsu in 2014. But that hasn't translated to critical acclaim in the west. It also leans very heavily on the mixed media franchise which makes it a questionable video game great to me. Sales of the first game weren't so hot until the anime premiered a year after the game launched. To me, a character needs to be in Smash based on the merit of their video games and Yo-Kai Watch doesn't do that for me. Even if I think Jibanyan is a really cool design. Also I'd just prefer Layton in general.

Digimon is today the second largest franchise that Bandai Namco has, a short time ago surpassed the Tamagotchis (considering that Digimon also has Tamagotchis to this day).
Bandai Namco's three largest franchises are Pac-man, Digimon and Tamagotchi.
Do you have evidence of that? Can't seem to find anything that backs it up, but willing to be proven wrong. But going to the Bandai website I can find no trace of Digimon information...

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
The ''Pokemon killer''
Yokai Watch was quite a big deal in Japan for a while but I'm getting the notion it has passed its prime. And Jinbanyan also doesn't really fit with the demographic that would purchase the DLC imo. Not to mention that the Hero is already there as a character that would primarily appeal to the east.

I might have a speck of interest for the Professor Layton series but I cannot say the same for Yokai Watch. The series just kinda exists in my eyes. I think it's just better suited for Mii costumes and Spirits.

Just add a bunch of guns and explosives and **** to it
Chance: 2%
Digimon is far from an underground series but when talking about Smash I don't think Agumon can stack up to the bigger guys. Judging by Sakurai interviews I'm pretty sure a Tekken or Tales rep would have higher priority. That is also assuming Bamco will even get a spot in the fighters pass.

Want: 1%
I've seen like three episodes of the anime on VHS when I was very young and that's basically all of my Digimon experience. Having Agumon in the game would be funny for a while with ''lol pokemon and digimon in the same game'' but once the novelty would wear off I wouldn't care for him much. I don't care for many third-party candidates and the Prince is my preferred choice for a Bamco rep anyway.

Crash: 58.24%
Spyro: 11.32%

Gene x10 assuming the bonus starts today

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Agumon

I'm going to focus this entirely on the games because I think that's what is important to Smash. I have a huge amount of nostalgia for Digimon as a property, I spent a lot of time in my youth being very into it. But I also bought a LOT of disappointing Digimon video games. And to me that's a big problem. Digimon don't have a game that has set the sales or critical charts on fire. And when you're competing with the likes of Castlevania, Mega Man, Street Fighter, Pac-Man, Sonic, Persona, Dragon Quest; that absolutely means something. Digimon's strongest foot forward was the anime, but it took Bandai till 2013 to make a game that felt like the anime (give or take a Rumble Arena) and even then it only got a 29/40 from Famitsu. At least Pokemon released Yellow within a few years.

And that's before we get on to the competition from Namco Bandai's more centralised gaming properties. Tekken, Tales, Dark Souls (ish), Katamari, Xenosaga, Klonoa, Soul Calibur and a whole host of arcade greats like Dig Dug. They have a lot of viable options for characters to get through before they hit Agumon. All of which mean more to the art of video games than Agumon does.

As I've said, I loved Digimon as a kid. Watched all the anime I could, and came back for the Adventure Tri series a few years ago. But almost all of my affection for the franchise comes from the non video game stuff. I've owned digivices, figures, trading cards, games, dvds and plushes. I dragged a load of friends to see the movie in cinemas for my 9th birthday. I still love the franchise, and have no ill will towards Agumon. But if Smash is supposed to be a celebration of video game history, I would prefer to see something with that gaming pedigree.

Jibanyan

Conversely, Level-5 has a lot less competition for a rep than Bandai Namco with Layton being the biggest competition. I still think Namco, Capcom and Koei are the three to be looking at, but I'd be remiss to not giving Level-5 more of a chance. Especially when they do continually support Nintendo with exclusive titles. But I do think the Japanese exclusivity of Yo-kai Watch 3 to Japan is a mark against it. The franchise hasn't taken off in the west in the same way that it has in Japan. And whilst we've had characters in the pass that catered to one market or another, I do think the last two slots are going to be more globally appealing than what we've had up to now.

My want score again comes down to the fact that Yo-kai Watch feels like a lesser franchise. Obviously it sells massively and won GOTY from Famitsu in 2014. But that hasn't translated to critical acclaim in the west. It also leans very heavily on the mixed media franchise which makes it a questionable video game great to me. Sales of the first game weren't so hot until the anime premiered a year after the game launched. To me, a character needs to be in Smash based on the merit of their video games and Yo-Kai Watch doesn't do that for me. Even if I think Jibanyan is a really cool design. Also I'd just prefer Layton in general.

Do you have evidence of that? Can't seem to find anything that backs it up, but willing to proven wrong. But going to the Bandai website I can find no trace of Digimon information...
Here the evidence: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

KMDP

Smash Legend
Thank you! Those merch sales are certainly impressive. Although I do think video game sales of around $90.5 million compared to Pac-Man's $14.098 billion is certainly a sign that Bandai Namco don't view games as being Digimon's default media.
Actually, Bandai Namco consider the V-Pets (Digimon's "default media") to be Video Games in themselves (and they're coming out with a new V-Pet pretty soon based around Evil Digimon).

And even then, if this guy -> :ultgnw: can be considered a Video Game character (because he is), then Agumon is fair game as well.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Agumon
Chance
: 0% - Want: abstain
I think Agumon belongs to the category of the (not exhaustive) minor characters or forgotten characters by Smash Bros, competing with them: Jibanyan, Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Mametchi, Goemon, Farmer, the 1st party Momotaro Dentetsu... This licenses are sidelined for the moment by Smash Bros, and I don't think that Agumon will be the one that would be different, the one who could bring the most hype.
Then, I think agumon can't simply be a 2nd Bamco rep. I even consider that he is less likely than Mametchi, Tamagotchi having already collaborated with Mario Kart and Pokémon, and having already 20 video games on Nintendo consoles*.

Jibanyan
Chance
: 15% - Want: abstain
I think his main problem is that he comes from a JRPG, but Jibanyan has some advantages:
- Like Professor Layton, the series is exclusive to Nintendo.
- Yo-kai Watch was the most important third-party series on 3DS just after Monster Hunter*.
- The first game on Switch, recently released in Japan, doesn't hurt the series, rated 37/40 by Famitsu. Although it's later than the Ultimate planning, this fact could prove that Nintendo would have been right to trust Yo-kai Watch, could prove that Yo-kai Watch would be legitimate.

Nominations: Concept: Another western character x5.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Actually, Bandai Namco consider the V-Pets (Digimon's "default media") to be Video Games in themselves (and they're coming out with a new V-Pet pretty soon based around Evil Digimon).

And even then, if this guy -> :ultgnw: can be considered a Video Game character (because he is), then Agumon is fair game as well.
Should have used the phrasing wikipedia used of "Console Games". But even then Digimon V-Pets only grossed $424.1 million compared to Tamagotchi's $2.955 billion. The licensed merchandise is $5.39 billion, which is almost certainly based off of the anime designs.

I've also never really thought that comparing Agumon to Mr. Game & Watch held much water, just because of MG&W's importance to the development of Nintendo's handhelds. And Digimon isn't even Bandai's most successful V-Pet (looking just at those sales).

I think Agumon belongs to the category of the (not exhaustive) minor characters or frogotten characters... This licenses are sidelined for the moment, and I don't think that Agumon will be the one that would be different, the one who could bring the most hype.
Just a note, Digimon has had a sharp uptick in activity the last couple of years. Digimon Adventure Tri, Digimon Story, Digimon Survive and Digimon Universe are noticeable reinvestment in the franchise after a long drought period.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Should have used the phrasing wikipedia used of "Console Games". But even then Digimon V-Pets only grossed $424.1 million compared to Tamagotchi's $2.955 billion. The licensed merchandise is $5.39 billion, which is almost certainly based off of the anime designs.

I've also never really thought that comparing Agumon to Mr. Game & Watch held much water, just because of MG&W's importance to the development of Nintendo's handhelds. And Digimon isn't even Bandai's most successful V-Pet (looking just at those sales).
Maybe not the most successful but recognisability for Agumon would be greater than the random Tamagotchi that ever individual gets. Although Digimon isn't as good of a franchise as Tamagotchi with sales I would say they are a better representation of the evolution of games with V-Pet to RPG.

Just a note, Digimon has had a sharp uptick in activity the last couple of years. Digimon Adventure Tri, Digimon Story, Digimon Survive and Digimon Universe are noticeable reinvestment in the franchise after a long drought period.
Not to mention the new Digimon games are coming to the Switch.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Understand "forgotten characters by Smash Bros / sidelined for the moment by Smash Bros". I edit.

FelFlick

Smash Cadet
AGUMON

Together with Lloyd, Chosen Undead, Heihachi and Nightmare, I believe we need a second Bandai Namco rep, only for the fact that they are making the game for so long.

Chance: 80%
After so many JRPGs anime swordsman in the DLC with Joker and Hero, I think that Lloyd chances got a hit. And Sakurai discarded Heihachi in Smash 4
due to his gameplay in Tekken. So now I believe that Agumon's and Chosen Undead's chances are higher than ever. Although I think the Banco rep will be a bonus character and the fighters pass will have Resident Evil for Capcom and Doomguy for Bethesda.

JIBANYAN

I would go with Professor Layton all the way instead, or even Endou Mamoru. Both could bring a totally different gameplay to Smash.

It's more popular in Japan than the other 2 series.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I had a write up for Heihachi (Tekken Rep, since we were really talking about him here, I've yet to see anybody push for Jin and Kazuya as the primary characters over Heihachi, I almost always hear of them as contingency plans) and SNK previously started but my draft mysteriously vanished. So I'm gonna skip that day, but for the record, Tekken Rep would've gotten 35/40% and SNK Rep would've gotten 40%/25%.

Agumon Chance: I actually think there's a solid chance for this guy. In fact, if Bamco gets a character I'm starting to think it'll be this guy. Digimon is even more of a popular force than Pac-Man (as a franchise IIRC, the games alone sell less but not by that much, been a while since I checked might be wrong), let alone Tekken, and Agumon has none of the issues Heihachi has. The guy has what appears to be plenty of fan demand, and wasn't a Mii Costume in Smash 4 like Heihachi or Lloyd. Only reason he wouldn't come is if Bamco got no character. I'll say... 65%.

Agumon Want: I'm gonna abstain because I haven't any experience with the series. Therefore, I am not qualified by my own volition to do this. However, lots of people seem to want him so that's a plus.

Jibanyan Chance: I'll say that he could've had a 40% if he had been done sooner. Unfortunately, his popularity seems to be heavily on the downturn. So I can't rate him much better than a 25%.

Jibanyan Want: Never played the games, nor watched an episode of the anime. Yo-Kai Watch is also getting abstained on for the same reason. Will note that many will lament the death of the puzzle trio should Jibanyan come to pass (Layton joins Arle in the "company competition" club, while Lip has three other issues, and while I know the overlap between the three's fandoms is relatively low, all of them have a justification for want in common by puzzle games getting the short end of the stick), so that's a thing.

Sunflower x 5.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Spiritual Litten

I think Jibanyan has relatively decent of a chance, at least good enough to possibly rival Professor Layton. That is to say, if anyone could rival the professor, this would be the character, specifically do to it's 'rising star' nature. However, it's latest game is a bit recent in terms of DLC scope, when the whole Rex incident is considered. Also, from what I can gather (unless someone can explain the situation to me) the manga apparently predates the games, though I don't know if that's a problem, considering the concept overall was intended for games. You could also bring up a sort of 'rivalry' with Pokemon, but I think there's a better series intended for that...

Meh, fairly neutral. I'll be honest, I'm not interested in the series, as I've followed Pokemon more over the years. However, I do suppose I'm in a bit of a sour spot with the Pokemon series right now, so I'd be fairly more welcoming to a little... competition.

♪ Porygon, digital monster, won't ever see it in reruns!♪

I'll admit, the rivalry between Digimon and Pokemon was never as big as say... Mario and Sonic. With many, the Digimon games never held up to the Pokemon games, and the Pokemon anime never held up to the Digimon anime. That said, Pokemon still won out thanks to... ugh, merchandising. Yep, toys, the card games, manga, you name it, Pokemon's put it's face on it. Digimon just couldn't compete. However! I think there's still a large audience that'd love to see Agumon, at this point, the face of Digimon, duke it out with Pikachu. In a way, Digimon predates Pokemon, as a tamagotchi esque game. Even if you were to not include these, as I do admit, they aren't quite what the average Joe thinks of when they hear Digimon, the games you would think of are still slightly before the show. I'll admit, it's a toss up as to whether or not the Smash team will go for it based on the rules applied, it's still a compelling choice a Bandai-Namco rep.

Want: 55%
Again, Digimon is something I have very little knowledge of, some of which might've reflected in my chance explanation (sorry about that, Digimon fans). Again, being more of a Pokemon person growing up, I never really put much attention into Digimon. And as said in my want for Jibanyan, I am in a bit of a foul mood towards Pokemon at the moment, so maybe that's why I'm more interested in seeing it, I'm not really sure. I do know that even if I wasn't upset with Pokemon, I think Digimon has a compelling enough of a history to at least be neutral towards it. I've got no beef with these digital monsters.

Predictions:
Crash: Does anyone think this is less likely after seeing Banjo? Maybe a few, but I think it'll be a near 50-50. 54.01%
Spyro: Ouch, sorry Dragonbob Dracopants, I like ya, but Crash is a lot more likely than you. 16.4%

Nominations:
Kamek x5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The original Charmander
Chance: 2%
If there's a Digimon rep, it'll be Agumon. Whilst Digimon is a very well known property as a whole, and arguably the only decent 'monster training' anime that could even stand up to Pokemon's all encompassing nature, in terms of video games Digimon hasn't been quite as notable as Tekken, Tales or Soul Calibur all series of which I think he faces some stiff competition from. Heihachi, Lloyd and Nightmare(Or Sophitia or Ivy) are all his biggest obstacles, with Klonoa also being a minor outlier and that's IF we even get a new Namco character.

Want: 85%
I like Digimon. Like, a lot. I grew up with the cartoons, I collected the card game and even had my own Digivice. Heck it was also my first MMO experience.

It's animated series was frankly superior to the Pokemon's offering...but as a video game property Pikachu stomps Agumon into the ground. Agumon himself isn't my favourite Digimon, but he's far from an awful choice and deserves his recognition as the Digimon mascot. Agumon vs. Pikachu isn't a match up I want to see as desperately as I did Sonic vs. Mario but it'd still be neat to see Agumon face off with Charizard.

The idea of a form changing character is pretty intriguing and Digivolving would lead to a LOT of creativity and movset potential, particular if you can evolve and de-volve on the go. Need some extra damage? Digivolve to Greymon. Need to be a smaller target? Devolve back to Agumon.

Overall whilst I don't think Agumon is likely, he's one of the few Namco characters I'd look forward to and would definitely purchase on day one.

Meowth? That's not right..

Much like Agumon there's no guarantee Level 5 will get a character, and even then Professor Layton is a stiff competitor with a bigger Smash fanbase behind him. Unlike Agumon, Jibanyan's a little more known for his games...although only just as the anime seems to again be the main draw.

Going against Jibanyan is a lack of Western support and Yokai Watch isn't anywhere near as all encompassing in Japan as Dragon Quest. As far as I'm aware the massive Yokai BOOM that occurred a few years back is dying down and we don't know if it'll end up as another Digimon with a dedicated anime and regular releases be it movies, cards or video games or something like Dinosaur King which seems to have just been snuffed out.

Want: 15%
I'll be honest...I want Agumon before Jibanyan. Much like most of my choices there's a level of prestige in my head, and after Pikachu, Agumon is the king of pet mons with Jibanyan in a distinct third. I don't dislike the character, but I feel there's bigger and more impressive third party choices out there. Maybe next time if Yokai Watch continues to remain strong I'll be a bigger supporter?

Predictions:
Cash Banooka: 52.3%
Spy and Pyro's beautiful baby boy: 6.7% (by virtue of most believing we need Crash first)

Nominations:
Lara Croft X 5

Top Bottom