• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Yep.... definitely a hype killer, and I hope Game Freak realizes their massive mistake and fix it. The Twitch chat was pretty mad about it.
I was already essentially passing from the game. I made a wishlist of things that pokemon DESPERATELY needed, with the promise that unless at least three of them appeared, with an essential one being reducing the weight of RNG of the game to offer a more reasonable PvP competitive atmosphere, I'd quit. NOT ONLY none of those were even barely mentioned, they did THREE things I explicitly asked them NOT to do, and did one of the things that I considered as a possible necessary evil (having to remove some old pokemon, wich if happened, I hoped would be mostly limited to the earliest stages of pokemon with evolutions, mainly the baby pokemon that pretty much nobody likes anyway) in the worst possible way they could have.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Also I wanted to give my thoughts on how I think today's Smash reveals affected other character's chances:

Chances increased:
  • Third-parties: With 3 out of 5 characters being third-parties Reggie's comments during the VGAs of bringing in new franchises seems more believable than ever. I won't be shocked at all if the other 2 characters aren't Nintendo ones.
  • Western: Unless I'm mistaken Banjo is the first ever playable character whose game series was created outside of Japan. I think this is a sign of more to come in the future as long as the fan demand is there. Big boost for characters like Crash and Spyro.
  • Capcom and Namco: DQ Hero's inclusion helps support the mii costume theory, that is assuming he get the Geno/Chocobo mii costumes from SSB4 when DQ Hero releases. If we do get the old Square Enix costumes then the other two companies with past SSB4 DLC costumes (Capcom and Namco) seem a bit more likely.
Chances decreased:
  • First-parties: Goes against both what Reggie said at the VGAs and the early 2019 board meeting of Nintendo using Smash to bring in new types of people. Unless its to promote something new or they are insanely popular I don't see us getting a first party for this season.
  • Square Enix: With the DQ Hero being playable it doesn't seem that we will be getting another SE character. Not saying it can't happen but characters like Sora, Geno, and another FF rep seem less likely now.
  • Steve: We got Banjo who can be seen as a Microsoft rep and one of Steve's biggest competitors. His chances aren't as great as they once were.
For tradition, we wait a day. This is so hype wears off a little bit. Reactions and hype cool down today. Satisfied tomorrrow.

As for rerates, I feel with two characters and our first western IP revealed, we should. I want feedback tho.
I think on satisfaction day we should list characters that we want rerated. Based on the amount of responses as well as significance of the characters, they should be added to the rerate schedule.

I consider this one disconfirmed, but to be democratic I want your input. Is Banjo, Erdrick, Luminary, Eight, or Solo a fan favorite? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer I'm going to get)
I would consider Banjo to be a fan favorite. He hasn't had a game in years but has a ton of fans and has been requested as far as back as the Smash 64 days.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Might as well just throw my impressions on the overall Direct:
*It was rather astonishing to see the Direct starting with a Smash reveal. Honestly thought it was some kind of World of Light expansion until Luminary popped up. Still, to me this was a leaked character, simply because "Erdrick" is meant to be a title, and with 3's MC as an alt, it might as well be considered legit, so congrats to Vergeben, Tansut and all the other folks for proving themselves right (again...).
*Astral Chain still looks cool and I'm looking forward to it.
*Same for Link's Awakening.
*I swear I saw different 4chan rumours talking about Witcher 3 on Switch. Don't know if there was any basis for all of them to happen, yet I can't help but wonder if any of them may have been legitimate.
*I knew we were gonna see a last news batch for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Despite how much those boomers like to whine about paying extra for Fox characters, I'm glad the Fantastic Four will (eventually) join the game, and I don't think there was any other way for them to appear.
*Oh, and congratulations to Vergeben again, for leaking the new Contra game (not very excited to be honest) and the Mana collection.
*And to the online store that leaked Ni No Kuni on Switch (can't remember which one).
*Banjo's in. I don't think there's much to say anymore. Other than western characters not being impossible and that a full-guests line-up looks all the more likely now, tempts me to start nominating a re-rate for that concept once Morrigan gets into the schedule, just to see if expectations have changed regarding that.
*And the cherry on top of the cake: a BOTW sequel. I can already smell success from just that teaser.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Stuff I liked

Luminary: I mean I wanted girl Erdrick, but this works. This is more of a love letter to Dragon Quest. I like the care that went into the moveset and flavor. Great trailer too. Decent.

DQXI: The game looks good. I will be getting this.

The Dark Crystal Tactics: A surprise to be sure but a welcome one. Loved this movie and hyped for the game.

No More Heroes 3: AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA YESSS!

FE Three Houses: Well its no longer just Harry Potter, so I am happy.

Daemon X Machina: Game looks good. I like this. Mechs make me happy.

Panzer Dragoon Remasterd: This was the best. Panzer Dragoon imo was always better than Star Fox, and this game looks gorgeous. I also hope if this does well we can get that Panzer Dragoon Saga remake since it is amazing.

Astral Chains: It still looks good. My wallet will hurt this summer with this, CTR, Daemon X Machina, DQXI, and Three Houses and Mario Maker

Spyro comes to switch: The worst kept secret in vidya. I am happy.

Banjo Confirmed: Hype AF. I am happy. Best DLC so far.

So whose up whose down for speculation? I feel @Sabi nailed most of it. Capcom, Namco, and Western Third Parties are the biggest winners. I feel the losers are accurate as well, though I would say Steve is the biggest loser since Banjo in makes minecraft content look...mii costume like.

Now for rerates, I am gonna say I wanna do them, but first, I am gonna ask for one thing first. Like what we did for the E3rerates last year, we will do a top three most overrated and underrated and get those done. We will likely do that the next day after satisfaction if you guys are up for the rerates. I will say that the ones I feel the most underrated myself would likely be Lloyd, Leon, and Sans. Most overrated would hands down be Steve.

Troykv

Smash Master
I was already essentially passing from the game. I made a wishlist of things that pokemon DESPERATELY needed, with the promise that unless at least three of them appeared, with an essential one being reducing the weight of RNG of the game to offer a more reasonable PvP competitive atmosphere, I'd quit. NOT ONLY none of those were even barely mentioned, they did THREE things I explicitly asked them NOT to do, and did one of the things that I considered as a possible necessary evil (having to remove some old pokemon, wich if happened, I hoped would be mostly limited to the earliest stages of pokemon with evolutions, mainly the baby pokemon that pretty much nobody likes anyway) in the worst possible way they could have.
They were removed forever? Or they just want to avoid people getting early advantage in the competitions prior to Updates?

____

Other that Pokémon (I think it needed to be as far as possible of E3 because of it's power of pretty much dilute the presence of the non-Smash games) I liked the rest of the Direct, nothing mind blowing other that the Final Reveal; but it had a lot of nice things.

I like that the Luminary Hero also had more Heroes (other the Loto/Eirdrick of course) to choose; what great way to bring fanservice to such long going franchise.

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Review of the direct, by me, a Guy with An opinion: satisfaction score 65%

Erdrick and co. are looking like gimmicky, slow swordfighters. Not that interested in them but I like how they blew the leaks out of the water throwing in all 4. I REALLY liked that.

Luigis mansion looked surprisingly good.

I hate that they revived The Dark Crystal for some reason.

Trails of Mana had me screaching Xenoblade for a moment and then dissappointed me. Nothing else wrong with it.

Having the Witcher on switch is just ****ing amazing.

Three Houses trailer didn't really say anything. It confirmed the time skip from the Thanibomb leak but that's about it.

I do not care about Resident Evil, Contra, Empire of Sin, Cadence of Hyrule, Animal Crossing,

No more Heroes 3 looked sick as hell!

Panzer Dragoon looks horrible.

I don't care about Daemon X Machina but the graphics update since last trailer shows it's developers are really listening and that's really neat.

Pokémon showed nothing new and I can't not be dissappointed about that.

I litterally screamed when I Saw Ebony Maw on my scream, that guy is great!

Astral Chain showed nothing new except Jojo meme material.

I laughed out loud when I found out they're still making Mario & Sonic olympic games.

The only thing in the highlight real I liked was Alien Isolation.

Banjo Kazooie is an overrated, boring character with a boring Moveset. I guess he deserves the spot for his legacy but I was really hoping they would waste a spot on him.

Breath of the Wild 2 is the best thing ever!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So, what did I get right?

Predictions

Luigi's Mansion 3 is called exactly that, and it gets a release date. Yep, very precise.

No FE Three Houses, Super Mario Maker 2.
Pokémon gets a little showing, maybe a release date. Three Houses got a trailer but SMM was just shown in the highlight reel. Pokemon I got right though.

One of the following gets announced: new F-Zero, new Advance Wars or new Golden Sun. As if.

Something with Wario. No Wario!

Astral Chain trailer. Yeah, and it's looking great.

Bayonetta 3 trailer. Weirdly still nothing. I wonder if something's going on behind the scenes?

Link's Awakening is a no-show. I honestly did not expect this to be a September game so I assumed they would leave it for a later Nintendo Direct.

Erdrick shown off in Smash, Banjo teased. Banjo way more than teased! Also Erdrick is actually Hero.

Microsoft happens. Only through Banjo, if I recall.

Hopes

All of the following get announced: new F-Zero, new Advance Wars and new Golden Sun. Wasn't gonna happen anyways.

Retro Studios' game is either a new IP or a revival. At this point I hope they were working on something before MP4.

Mysterious Murasame Castle reboot. Someday...

Any Square Enix character shown off in Smash, Banjo teased. Same as prediction.

Ori and Battletoads announced to be coming for Switch. No, but confident it'll happen down the road.

Fighter Pass 2 announced. They didn't need to.

Ace Attorney 7 announced with Phoenix Wright coming to Smash. TGS here we go!

ARMS 2. Nope.

Captain Toad 2. Nein.

Snipperclips 2. Niet.

Generally speaking, old game gets rebooted (especially if it's a Nintendo game). The Mana stuff, Panzer Dragoon, and No More Heroes if I wanna feel old. GG's happy.

noms Kyle Hyde X5

Oh and on the topic of rerates, I err towards the side of nah. Nothing really changed about our perception or expectations: everyone's still thinking it's third parties only and not much else to go on about. No major leaks debunked and no major leaks gain credibility.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My reactions

I was surprised that the Dragon Quest character was different, and honestly looks fun to play.

Banjo and Kazooie: many of use saw them coming, but Duck Hunt fooled us for a bit, just like King Dedede, then they arrived.

Luigi's Mansion 3 looks fun. We already got new stuff from the Pokémon direct, so I wasn't upset.

Some of the games shown here are very fun, and possibly I could try them.

Overall, a fun direct.

One more thing, They referenced the meme where my smash main is the president of Nintendo. Surprising and funny.

Not all predictions are true, but giving it an 82%

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Lets see what I predicted

Nintendo's Lineup
-Animal Crossing takes center stage, hyping a holiday release
Half Right. It did get a prime time trailer, but it did get a delay.
-Luigi's Mansion 3 gets a trailer and an October release
No word yet but I still feel October happening
-Daemon x Machina gets a trailer
Bingo
-Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem get quick trailers, a FE direct in the future is mentioned
On the money
- "New" WarioWare which ends up being very similar to Gold in terms of its direction
Nope
- 2.5D Metroid Game
Nope
-Crash Team Racing Trailer
Well, we didn't get it in the direct, but CTR did show off some awesome stuff so I am still happy.
-DQXI Trailer
Holy God Check
-Astral Chain info
Check
-Links Awakening Info
Check
-SNES Games announced for Nintendo Online, Special Joycons
Maybe someday
-Ports of W101, #FE, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5, Tales of Symphonia, and Super Mario 3D World
I got one right at least. Thought these were literally the safest port guesses. I originally had Resi 5 and 6 but I thought there is no way Capcom would port them everyone hates them.
-Mother 3 Localization announced
-For Nindies, Hat In Time takes center stage, alongside Spelunky 2, Bloodstained, and Trine 4
No nindies, I expect a Nindies direct in August.
-Banjo is the 2nd fighter pass character, Rare Replay comes to Switch
Well, he got third at least, no word on Rare Replay yet...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Reactions:

I didn't really care about a lot of it but I liked the new Luigi's Mansion 3, Link's Awakening, and Animal Crossing stuff. I guess I still need to play Breath of the Wild before its sequel can get me excited. Pokemon grabbed my attention too, of course, even if it wasn't much due to it already having a Direct last week.

Dragon Quest Hero looks cool; admittedly his trailer nearly killed my hopes for B-K, but then my happiness went right back up and even higher when Banjo-Kazooie were revealed. Nothing against DQ; I'm actually interested in the series and want to try DQ 11 and DQ Builders sometime, but y'know, I really like B-K. The Hero seems like he'll be fun to play, as well as the bear and bird of course give me my bear and bird.

I'm disappointed in no Pikmin stuff, but I can wait. I didn't actually expect anything related to Mother, as much as I'd love for it to happen.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Capcom and Namco: DQ Hero's inclusion helps support the mii costume theory, that is assuming he get the Geno/Chocobo mii costumes from SSB4 when DQ Hero releases. If we do get the old Square Enix costumes then the other two companies with past SSB4 DLC costumes (Capcom and Namco) seem a bit more likely.
This is what I suspect too.

Maybe Capcom might get a Resident Evil character or a Monster Hunter character.

Maybe Namco might get a Tekken character or a Tales character.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Some fun figures.

Banjo
21.97% Chance, 62.00% Want

Erdrick
63.31% Chance, 49.53% Want

Erdrick at the time of our rating was the most likely newcomer. So we got that. Banjo was a older rating (back in November) but he had a strong want score.

Concepts Microsoft Rep, Square Enix Rep, and Non Repped Third Party have been confirmed. They will be removed from the noms list. Rerate for Banjo also will be removed. Congrats on the confirmations. As for deconfirmations, the only character one I would be willing to knock is Slime. If you all think it is dead, let me know. I would also say no fan favorites is dead as disco since Banjo is the proletariat's choice.

As for the current scores, I will update the front page when I am home. The current front runner for Chance and want is Bandana Dee, though this is a grossly outdated rating. Following him in Chance are Crash and Lloyd. Crash also is second for Want right now.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Double Posting for some thread info.

A front page revision is halfway done. Expect it finished tomorrow.

Once I finish the score sheet, I will get a graphic for top ten of chance and want.

As for the plans going forward, I am going to say that I strongly believe rerates for a few characters are in order. Many scores are outdated, especially when we know 3/5 of the fighters pass.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Luigi's Mansion, Astral Chain, Spyro FINALLY getting the damn Switch port, No More Heroes 3, Banjo and Breath of the Wild sequel were the hypest parts for me.

I may double dip for Resident Evil 5 and Crystal Chronicles too...we'll see how my wallet is by the time all this is over.

Troykv

Smash Master
Chances increased:
  • Third-parties: With 3 out of 5 characters being third-parties Reggie's comments during the VGAs of bringing in new franchises seems more believable than ever. I won't be shocked at all if the other 2 characters aren't Nintendo ones.
  • Western: Unless I'm mistaken Banjo is the first ever playable character whose game series was created outside of Japan. I think this is a sign of more to come in the future as long as the fan demand is there. Big boost for characters like Crash and Spyro.
  • Capcom and Namco: DQ Hero's inclusion helps support the mii costume theory, that is assuming he get the Geno/Chocobo mii costumes from SSB4 when DQ Hero releases. If we do get the old Square Enix costumes then the other two companies with past SSB4 DLC costumes (Capcom and Namco) seem a bit more likely.
Technically the first Western created character was Diddy Kong.

But yeah, Banjo-Kazooie it's directly the first actual Western franchise to have playable characters.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I don't think Slime is quite dead (in the sense of anything is possible), but IMO the chances of us getting a second Squeenix character are even lower than a second SEGA character, and that's before we take into account that Slime's series is represented, which at least is grounds for us to keep Crono the way we kept Arle after Joker's confirmation.

It's not dead objectively, but it's pretty much got nothing now that we have Hero. And this assumes it isn't a stage hazard or doesn't play an active role in Hero's moveset, just for taunts: Slime is pretty much done for as a fighter until Hero is cut/gets a new taunt in a future game if THAT's the case. You can cut it off the list.

Wasn't CGI Trailers for Newcomers also confirmed? People debated if Joker counted but now it's totally confirmed, no in-engine footage used prior to the gameplay exhibition for either Hero or Banjo.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think Slime is quite dead (in the sense of anything is possible), but IMO the chances of us getting a second Squeenix character are even lower than a second SEGA character, and that's before we take into account that Slime's series is represented, which at least is grounds for us to keep Crono the way we kept Arle after Joker's confirmation.

It's not dead objectively, but it's pretty much got nothing now that we have Hero. And this assumes it isn't a stage hazard or doesn't play an active role in Hero's moveset, just for taunts: Slime is pretty much done for as a fighter until Hero is cut/gets a new taunt in a future game if THAT's the case. You can cut it off the list.

Wasn't CGI Trailers for Newcomers also confirmed? People debated if Joker counted but now it's totally confirmed, no in-engine footage used prior to the gameplay exhibition for either Hero or Banjo.
CGI trailers had already been counted as confirmed by Joker's. There was a debate, but that's how it was settled.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hero: 85%
Would still prefer a less generic name than Hero (individual names, or even Dragon Warrior if they wanted to go with a catch-all), and, like with the Koopalings, I prefer my characters to be just one rather than a whole cavalcade of alts. Though I like what they did with Hero much more than with the Koopalings.
But for the positives, I was always adamant on Erdrick being a pretty unique character moveset wise, and this absolutely outdid my expectations. The creativity of DQ's spells is absolutely on display and I like how they implemented the simple mechanic of a menu to get a ton of spells in. Almost makes it worth Joker getting almost no spells. (Still, super weird that Joker leans more towards generic swordfighter than DQ Hero).

Banjo-Kazooie: 100%
It could never be anything less. A dream come true. A homecoming for the ages. Being leaked couldn't even dent the excitement the reveal gave me. I bought the Fighter Pass tonight and it was because of Banjo.

Noms: Cronox5

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
DQ Hero:
Satisfaction :30%: I was going to give them a straight zero, but honestly they are well implemented. Kinda reminds me of Robin with all the spells. Still would have preferred Geno tho.
Banjo-Kazooie: 100%: Perfect. Their moves that we have seen or perfect and fit well. Although that Up-B appeently lets you act out of it, so that might be OP.
Nominations: Blaze x3 Specter Knight x2

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Well, they're essentially K. Rool 2.0. The trailer even references the fact for God's sake. Months of doubt, constantly being told he's dead, irrelevant, and not popular, all built up to this moment of triumph. Banjo-Kazooie beat the odds. Rare themselves finally said, "we heard you." That was the most reassiring thing for me because I felt so disconnected from this new age of gaming.

DQ guy: 1%
Don't like menu, don't like having MP management on top of that. Also didn't ever have any desire to see them in Smash. But i do recognize bandanna guy because I saw him around a lot during the Wii era. So a single point for that.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Erdrick and Co. 65%

Their Moveset looks uninspired and gimmicky. The menu is gonna be a pain and the people complaining about his sword even more. However, their renders look really good and I absolutely love that they went the Bowser Jr. Way with these guys.

Banjo kazooie: 10%

Uninteresting character from An uninteresting game with an uninteresting Moveset. The fact that 99% of the fanbase welcomes him as the second comming of Christ makes it even worse, as not liking him makes you a paria. Wastes slot of a DLC in my opinion. At least his 5 fans Will stop brainwashing the population into believing hes important now.

Nom: Rundas x5

Last edited:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
I personally have no huge attachment to either of these characters, but I may as well vote my satisfaction rating for either of them.

DQ Heroes: 40%
The magic menu looks a little unintuitive, but at the same time, that same menu gives them a wide variety of abilities, which far differentiates them from our current magic+blade hybrids (Those being Robin and Joker [albeit the latter only uses one spell, and is likely closer to what Joker would look like in a Persona fighting game]). The only Dragon Quest Games I really have a connection to are DQ9 and Dragon Quest Monsters, so I'm not too hyped, but he does look cool at least.

Bear & Bird: 60%
I'm not going to lie, I never really had any attachment to Banjo-Kazooie, partially for the same reason that I never liked Super Mario 64. The semi-open world collectathon genre just didn't appeal to me at the time (Partially because my tiny little mind was being entranced by games such as the Pokemon games and Sonic Adventure 2). But I can definitely see the precedent for Banjo in Smash. He's practically seen as one of THE Nintendo 64 characters. Banjo-Kazooie is widely seen as a beloved N64 Classic, and that alone is a huge plus for Nintendo (Even if Banjo only got two sequels, one of which was very poorly received).
He also looks pretty cool and that's fine by me. He also demolishes virtually every major leak, so hey, that's a plus in my book.

Noms: Saber (Fate) x2, Reimu rerate x3

I've been long overdue to start voting for a rerate for Reimu, what with Antinomy of Common Flowers now coming to the Switch.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Uninteresting character from An uninteresting game with an uninteresting Moveset. The fact that 99% of the fanbase welcomes him as the second comming of Christ makes it even worse, as not liking him makes you a paria. Wastes slot of a DLC in my opinion. At least his 5 fans Will stop brainwashing the population into believing hes important now.
These two comments seem to contradict each other.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
These two comments seem to contradict each other.
If you Read the rest of the sentence you see that I state the rest of the fanbase was brainwashed into believing Banjo's relevant.

But I see how I could have worded that differently

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Dairy Queen Hero: 60%

I wasn't interested at first, but the Luminary and the other heroes seem pretty interesting. If it weren't for our next character, the reveal would've been less satisfying. The thing I'm worried about is the drop down menu on his health bar, and the MP system. I feel like activating the drop down menu for his neutral special will make him hard to use competitively, if it makes him stop moving. And the MP system feels like it's pulling a Robin. He also seems very similar to Link with his neutral attacks, but we'll see. Would've preferred Slime.

Mermaid Man: BONGO!
Barnacle Boy: IT'S BANJO!
Mermaid Man: HANDS OFF ME WOMAN!
(RIP both of them.)

Bear and Bird: 100%

This was one of my most wanted characters, and 1st place on my list in terms of realistic characters. Banjo is an iconic character that was dead for years, and now he's finally back. One of my good friends had him as his most wanted, and said he would get a Switch with Smash just to play as Banjo. His gameplay looks absolutely amazing, and so does the stage. He looks like a ton of fun, and I wish he came first before DQ. I'll take him out of my signature after the stupid red X bug gets fixed.

HEAVY WEAPONS GUY x10

We get that you don't like the character, but there's no need to attack the fanbase :/

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
We get that you don't like the character, but there's no need to attack the fanbase :/
I might have felt a bit like a scared, cornered Animal with all the disproportionate explosions of praise around me for the past day. The reaction seems more rational than it probably is.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Satisfaction

Hero: 50 to 60%

Was surprised what Dragon Quest character got in, 4 of them, that at least made 4 characters to get in, similar to the Koopalings. They also have a fun moveset.

Banjo and Kazooie: 95%. While Steve could get another chance, Banjo and Kazooie are back and are ready to rumble. It is nice that Microsoft will let Nintendo use one of the characters. Overall, can't wait.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Satisfaction

Hero - 50. Eh, we all knew this was happening eventually I guess. Gets a small bump for not being just Erdrick and killing some of the current plausible leaks

Banjo - 70. Personally I never really wanted Banjo that badly, but seeing the vast majority of people celebrate the same way I did when Joker got in the game makes me feel a lot better.

Overall I'm not way too psyched about any of the new characters but it will be nice to start some new speculation, because the Banjo vs. Steve and the Erdrick deserves it vs. Erdrick doesn't deserve it debates were growing very tiresome.

Noms
Ellie x5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Hero: I was a Slime guy, but incorporating Erdrick and Eight as model swaps for Luminary is something I'm not really going to cry spilled milk over since I wasn't much of a Dragon Quest guy. The trailer did a damn fine job of making Hero stand out from Link and Robin, but I can still tell there's that bit of inspiration from the both of them. Dragonquestland (the name of the stage until we get solid confirmation of what is, I'm unsure of it being Alefgard and can't name any Dragon Quest 11 locales that resemble what we saw) is freaking gorgeous, and looks like it'll be a bit more involved than Joker's Mementos. (When are we doing actual satisfaction ratings on those, btw?) Hero looks absolutely gorgeous, and while I was hesitant with what they could do, this is quite the moveset. I'm impressed. [Oh, and in the future, there's pretty much not much of an argument against Arle short of Tails/Eggman getting in.] I'm going to be generous today: 85%.

Banjo and Kazooie: Hell yeah. I'm one of the extremely few guys desperately hoping for a Nuts & Bolts reference anywhere (most of you are probably desperately hoping there isn't one), but even I would've still taken THAT direction for their moveset, it just fits like a glove. They already just blow you away, and you can tell there's only a vague sense of bases in Duck Hunt (even more, they look so distinctive from everything else, I could reasonably buy that they're made from scratch). Spiral Mountain looks gorgeous, Bottles looks gorgeous, Gruntilda looks gorgeous. It's all perfect. Banjo gets to make his second HD appearance, first one that very few will have any complaints about, and I'm glad it's in Smash. 99.99%, the elusive 100 will only come under a very obvious circumstance. But hey, even if I get General Custer and Bubsy in the last two spots, 1/5 isn't so bad. Better than 0/5. Like how Hero killed Arle's arguments, Banjo killed Crash's, except Crash benefits from these immediately.

Sunflower x 5, and if today's a x10 day same goes for More Bosses. If not, just choose Sunflower.

Oh, and both of them will make for very good puppet fighters for some Puyo characters if Arle happens. That's very nice of them.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Erdrick and Co. 65%

Their Moveset looks uninspired and gimmicky. The menu is gonna be a pain and the people complaining about his sword even more. However, their renders look really good and I absolutely love that they went the Bowser Jr. Way with these guys.

Banjo kazooie: 10%

Nom: Rundas x5
Lades and gentlemen, the 5th doctor.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hero Satisfaction: 50% - Some parts of the character I like, other parts I don't. I like the whole shifting through spells, it makes his specials really unique, but his normals look really uninteresting, and even identical to some of the other swordies'. Given the look they went with I like that you can play as four different heroes, but I far prefer the retro DQ style as I like Toriyama's oldschool style more, so when Erdrick was just a rumor I was hoping we'd get the short and stubby version of him. I definitely think DQ has more than earned its spot on the roster, but I can't really bring myself to be super excited about Hero either, admittedly 15% or so of his score is made by the kamikaze move alone, which is going to be the funniest disrespect move in the game.

Banjo & Kazooie: 80% - Great to see how faithful they were to his original design, it's a wonder it took so long before we got a proper updated version of it. Other than that I adore how expressive they are in battle, they're right up there with Dedede and K. Rool with how much their personalities shines through, I love these types of cartoony characters. I can't really give a higher score since I'm not really a Banjo & Kazooie fan, so it's not magical for me in the same way other characters have been, but by the looks of things Sakurai and co. pretty much did them perfectly.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hero: I was a Slime guy, but incorporating Erdrick and Eight as model swaps for Luminary is something I'm not really going to cry spilled milk over since I wasn't much of a Dragon Quest guy. The trailer did a damn fine job of making Hero stand out from Link and Robin, but I can still tell there's that bit of inspiration from the both of them. Dragonquestland (the name of the stage until we get solid confirmation of what is, I'm unsure of it being Alefgard and can't name any Dragon Quest 11 locales that resemble what we saw) is freaking gorgeous, and looks like it'll be a bit more involved than Joker's Mementos. (When are we doing actual satisfaction ratings on those, btw?) Hero looks absolutely gorgeous, and while I was hesitant with what they could do, this is quite the moveset. I'm impressed. [Oh, and in the future, there's pretty much not much of an argument against Arle short of Tails/Eggman getting in.] I'm going to be generous today: 85%.

Banjo and Kazooie: Hell yeah. I'm one of the extremely few guys desperately hoping for a Nuts & Bolts reference anywhere (most of you are probably desperately hoping there isn't one), but even I would've still taken THAT direction for their moveset, it just fits like a glove. They already just blow you away, and you can tell there's only a vague sense of bases in Duck Hunt (even more, they look so distinctive from everything else, I could reasonably buy that they're made from scratch). Spiral Mountain looks gorgeous, Bottles looks gorgeous, Gruntilda looks gorgeous. It's all perfect. Banjo gets to make his second HD appearance, first one that very few will have any complaints about, and I'm glad it's in Smash. 99.99%, the elusive 100 will only come under a very obvious circumstance. But hey, even if I get General Custer and Bubsy in the last two spots, 1/5 isn't so bad. Better than 0/5. Like how Hero killed Arle's arguments, Banjo killed Crash's, except Crash benefits from these immediately.

Sunflower x 5, and if today's a x10 day same goes for More Bosses. If not, just choose Sunflower.

Oh, and both of them will make for very good puppet fighters for some Puyo characters if Arle happens. That's very nice of them.
If it makes you feel better, I would be okay with a Nuts & Bolts reference (at least a L.O.G. Spirit will do for me).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Satisfaction

Hero: 80%

I'm not overly familiar with Dragon Quest, and Hero seemed to share a lot of similarities with Link, Roy, and Robin in terms of his moves. However, incorporating several different Dragon Quest heroes into one character seemed like the best way to handle it, and the fact that the Dragon Quest 8 hero was included is motivating me to sit down and play that game. Given how big of a franchise Dragon Quest is, including it seems like an easy choice (even if there are Square-Enix characters that I would have personally preferred), and I'm looking forward to their release.

I've wanted this to happen since I was nine or ten, and it turned out better than I could have imagined. I didn't even think it was possible after the Microsoft buyout, and I'm still giddy almost a full day later.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Satisfaction;

Hero: 90%. It's not Slime, but that's part of the moveset and main render. It also proved Brave wasn't "Erdrick" either, but just the name of the literal character in the game instead. The Japanese name, no less, just like Packun Flower. Even more fun is Erdrick isn't the face, with Luminary taking that role, something I predicted over a week before. I knew Erdrick wouldn't sell on his own as the face, due to being a virtual unknown outside of Japan. So Luminary, a way more worldwide face, was used. I love the MP idea too. I also love how it's just "Hero" as the name for the international versions.

Banjo & Kazooie: 60%. Never got really into the games. I had more fun with DK64 and Super Mario 64, my favorite collectathon-type gameplay. But they regardless absolutely deserve their place, so I'm quite happy with it. Microsoft having its foot in the door is nice too. I honestly can't wait for the inevitable Microsoft content from other series; Rare, Minecraft, and hopefully Halo, just to name 3 things I really want to see.

Top Bottom