• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Yuri Lowell

Chance: 60% - His genre alone nets him a nice 30% of his score, and him being a smaller character (compared to someone like Steve), along with him being by and far the most popular character in the Tales of Series (the the point of being banned from popularity polls). Furthermore, Lloyd's costume is still missing and all but guaranteed to come back, and Yuri presents a perfect opportunity to do so. Vesparia (unlike a lot of competition like Symphonia) has a port on the Switch so tying him into a Switch game (something Lloyd cannot do, and from what I've noticed the Nintendo website for Smash DLC characters loves linking them to a recent game they have on Switch) seems quite obvious. There's also the matter of this year being a big anniversary for the Tales series, and while it missed the big March reveal (when the anniversary itself is in the year) they could've very well saves Yuri for later. What's really holding him back is less fan demand compared to other Namco characters, along with other members of his series. Furthermore, Namco seems content with their sole rep in Pac Man, so that in the end could kill his chances. Still, he is a decent amount of fan demand, is part of a genre and audience that Smash DLC adores, is popular among Tales fans, and would be very easy to negotiate. Plus we're on the end of the pass now, and smaller picks will likely be the norm.

Want: 0% - No offense, Yuri, but you're not the character I'd want. He doesn't at all seem interesting to me, his genre has already gotten loads of love in the DLC (and three JRPG characters in a row would be extremely excessive), and competition is a huge issue. Now, I do respect his legacy, but if we really have to have a Tales rep they should at least give us Lloyd, who has by and far more fan demand. Plus, most importantly, my most wanted character is a different Bandai-Namco character, and Yuri getting in, especially with the possibility of the next game being Super Reboot Bros, means that my most wanted will never get in ever. And that would really be saddening. So while Yuri certainly deserves it...now really isn't the time. Sorry, buddy...

Nominations:
[Rerate] Louie x10

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
"O brilliant blade of coldest steel, rend the infinite darkness and crush my enemies to nothing! You're dead! SAVAGE WOLF FURY!"

Can we take a moment to just appreciate how cool Yuri's chant during Savage Wolf Fury is (not that it helps you in his 1v1 duel against Flynn- in fact, trying to use Savage Wolf Fury actually makes the fight harder).

Chance: 50%
Yuri is in a curious spot right now, given it's been a while since Vesperia Definitive's release. However, none can deny that he's probably one of the front runners for Bandai Namco representatives (alongside Agumon or a Tekken rep), and as a Tales rep due to being one of the two most popular characters in the entire series (to the point where he topped popularity polls so frequently that he was essentially banned from them, a distinction he shares with only one other character in the series). In essence, whether one would say Yuri or Lloyd is the better pick likely depends on when they actually learned about Tales to begin with. Gamecube-era gamers would likely better remember Symphonia, whereas more recent fans are a lot more likely to have heard of Vesperia. Also, something something Lloyd Mii Costume.

Want: 80%
In case the fact that he's listed as a character I directly support didn't tip you off, yes, I want Yuri in the game. While my experience with the Tales series is limited, Vesperia Definitive definitely left a good impression on me! It helps that Yuri is a great character with a good character arc in Vesperia Definitive, helped by his interactions with the rest of the cast (though interactions between the members of the cast has always been one of Tales' strong points).

Noms: Reimu rerate x5

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I say he's 50/50 vs. Lloyd Irving but I'm actually leaning towards the latter

Lloyd has been way more popular in Smash speculation since the Brawl days, and has a bigger fanbase within Smash players it seems. Yuri on the other hand is more popular among Tales of fans and has been in games such as Project X Zone, but so has Lloyd in Soul Calibur Legends afaik. I think it comes down to who does Sakurai want to add first, Yuri has the Tales of fanbase and switch port going for him, but let's not forget that Lloyd was the chosen mii costume for Sm4sh and seems to have a deeper connection with Nintendo overall along with bigger support among Smash fans, since Symphonia was the best selling game for their franchise and the one that introduced the western audience to Tales of for the most part.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
IMG_20210420_214310.jpg

Chance: 20% Yuri is a very interesting character when it comes to Smash speculation to be honest, Tales has been requested for Smash for over a decade, the requests being for Lloyd, but Yuri is the most popular Tales character period, being banned from official popularity polls to give other characters a chance. This creates a dynamic where it's a question if Sakurai wants to cater towards Smash fans or cater to Tales fans. Beyond this very unique situation, Yuri does have some positives, while Sakurai did say "Who else but Lloyd?", this was well before Yuri's game got on the Switch, specifically, the Definitive Edition fans have been begging for quite amount of time, leading to the infamous "not that one" tweet from Bamco.

Want: Abstain, never played Vesperia and know **** all about it and I feel it's unfair to just say "I know nothing but they're competition 0%"

Junpei x20

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Popular McJRPGguy
Chance: 10%
Tales of is a big enough series to the point where it can probably be one of the final two. Many, including myself, agree that it would be a coinflip between him a Lloyd. Will they appeal to Nintendo/Smash fans or the general Tales of audience? Would Sakurai prefer Lloyd while Nintendo would rather want Yuri? How would the missing Lloyd costume fit into all of this? Who knows, I don't have much else too add to that debate.

Want: 0%
Yeah I haven't played his game or any Tales of game but I'm just interested in this. I am fully willing to admit I like my Scrimblos and that 3 JRPG characters in a row would feel fatiguing, despite :ultsephiroth:still being a really cool addition. Yuri just looks so 'meh' to me. There are much more exciting options for Namco characters out there and I'd also rather have Lloyd myself. He's far more demanded and atleast dual wields swords rather than have just have a generic single one. I'm also likelier to check out Symphonia more than Vesperia.

Gene x20

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
"But Im really Popular guys"

Chance: 15%

Yuri Lowell is the main protagonist of Tales of Vesperia originally released for Xbox 360 (in an attempt to get some japanese audiences to buy a goddamn Xbox) and later on Ps3 with an updated port that was japan only, and would later get a Definitive Edition for Nintendo Switch. The game was really well received positive reception and i ranked high among the series, although the sales are a little bit to be desired. Let's just say the popularity comes from the passion of the fans and not from the mass appeal, so don't think of Yuri Lowell as the Cloud Strife of Tales (as in, a character that debuted in a breakout title that turned the series super-mainstream, its not that) but it has proved to be liked enough by the community that Bamco has given Yuri a little more time to shine, such as appereances in many side titles (Tales of Graces, Tales of VS, etc), with the most prolific ones being the Project X Zone 1 and 2 appearances, where he was chosen to be the Main representative of the Tales series in that crossover, despite more recent games coming out such as the Xillia games.

But honestly, i don't see why people are putting him so high. Yeah, he's popular, he's been banned from polls because of it, but you know who else is really damn popular in their own franchise? Alucard from Castlevania.

Going back into the Alu vs Simon debate, you must understand one thing, Alucard had the main advantage of larger popularity, everyone loves the guy, and people will suck up any second Alucard shows up on Screen, and Sakurai even considered him for Smash, so why he went with Simon. Because while Alucard had general gaming popularity, Simon is just more prominent and important as a whole, as he represents the the origins of the series, is the most prominent member of the Belmont family, a heavily important character in general in Crossovers of Konami games, and a general icon of retro gaming and Nes. Alucard was merely a side-character that would later be used on a PS1 game that was really beloved and popular.............years after its release, back in the late 90s it came and went with little fanfare due to the fixation on 3D at the time.

This is an example of how general fanbase popularity doesn't make you more likely, everybody always rags about the "Smash Bubble" but then pulls stuff like this, when there is proof that being popular in the general gamign sphere doesn't guarantee you a spot either. Yuri has other advantages, i mentioned how Project X Zone 1 and 2 chose Yuri instead of more recent characters, but sometimes Crossovers in previous games don't make you the obvious candidate. Mario Hoops 3 on 3 and Mario Sports Mix had Black Mage, White Mage, and Slime as playable characters, yet for Smash they chose Cloud and Hero. and i do think that Rayman would be the likelier choice for Smash instead of the Rabbids, depite their crossing with Mario (and and announced Sequel)

The only real supporting thing in my opinion, is how the game is the second best selling one in the series second to only..............you guessed it, Tales of Symphonia. Despite being the protagonist of the second best selling main game, being a poll bait character, and now having proper Nintendo presence, i still think Lloyd is more likely. (not as much as it thought before)

Some people see Lloyd's absent Mii Costume as a dead giveaway he will comeback as one, and some other character will be FP10 instead, such as Yuri. I disagree on this notion. The reason why Lloyd was chosen in the first place as the Mii Costume, when Sakurai was talking about Tales representation back in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU days, he was asked about why Lloyd as a costume. The interviewer gave examples of Tales characters, but Sakurai said "who else but Lloyd?". His Smash popularity was fading after Pac-Man's reveal, his general popularity always lacked in comparison of other Tales characters, and Tales of Symphonia wasn't particularly relevant, and by that time Yuri was cemented as the Tales Fanbase's favorite Protag.

and yet, he chose Lloyd, he saw him as the default choice for Smash, even as a Mii Costume, im sure if he was a playable character the reasoning would have been pretty much the same. He had that chance to mention Yuri, but chose to mention Lloyd and explain why he chose him He could've given Yuri a Mii costume, (remember, Smash 4 is the game that gave us Cloud Strife, Lack of Nintendo appearances were no longer a large issue) but he didn't. If the Mii Costume is such a problem...............he could easily not bring him back and just put Lloyd in the roster, and have other Tales Mii costumes instead. I mean Ridley was the only Stage Boss that didn't come back in Smash 4, you can guess why.

I still see him as a Dark Horse rep though, you never know when it comes to Smash.

Want: 40%

I will admit, Tales of Vesperia is the first and only Tales game i played so far, and i can say the idea of a Tales rep sounds really good. The gameplay is super easy to translate so the transition would be like Simon and Mega Man to me. I also find Yuri to be one of the best RPG protags i have seen, for the simple reason that he is actually a character, with his own dreams, thoughts, feelings and ways of seeing life, rather than a blank slate that never says a single word because that makes for a "RElAtAblE PrOTAGonIST", and i can say that if he was chosen for FP10 or 11, he would be the only character i actually buy, due to my attachment to Vesperia.

Still, i can't give him that high of rating because:

1-We have gotten 3 JRPG characters in a row (Pyra and Mythra are counted separately) to have another one is kinda overkill. It doesn't have to be a cartoony character like Conker, even someone like Gunvolt, a Side Scrolling character would be a very weclome change of pace.
2-I still think Lloyd should be the Tales choice for Smash, and to be left in the dust in favor of Yuri is wrong in my eyes.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Yuri Lowell

Chance: 10%. Chances are, Lloyd will be are Tales of Rep, but even then, Lloyd could be a Mii Costume again. With that said, Yuri’s chance is quite decent since Pyra and Mythra got in over Rex, so I don’t see why he can’t appear before Lloyd.

Want: 50%. He would be fun to play as, and I can see him assist Pac-Man in a battle against Sonic and Bayonetta, or Megaman and Ryu or Mario and Pikachu or SImon and Snake or Banjo and Kazooie and Steve or Cloud and Hero in a 2v2 match. Overall, he would make a decent Smash Bros rep.

Noms: 5 for Stage: Bowser’s Castle

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Abstain. I know nothing about Yuri.

Nominations: Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x10

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Oh hey it looks like I’ve been awaken from my slumber~

Let’s get into the meat and potatoes, I wanna make this a good one cause I actually have A LOT to say on this one

Yuri Lowell

Chance: 50%

First off let’s discuss Tales as a whole. Tales of is a long-running Action-JRPG series that’s been around since Tales of Phantasia on the Super Nintendo in 1995. It's immensely popular in Japan and seen as the third pillar of the JRPG trinity next to Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. There is suspiciously no content from it in Smash yet, despite other Namco franchises appearing in PAC-MAN's taunt Namco roulette and being costumes for Miis. Lloyd had a Mii Costume in Smash 4, but it's nowhere to be found, leading to the question of who it could possibly come with. Now this is where Yuri comes in. Yuri Lowell is the protagonist of the game Tales of Vesperia, the tenth mothership installment of the series released in 2008 originally. It has since been rereleased multiple times and is now basically on every modern system available. It's expanded into it's own franchise and has had a movie (Which is really good I would recommend watching it especially if you want to learn more about Yuri), manga anthologies, audio dramas, and even a stage play (only Abyss has one). It has become one of the most popular entries in the entire series, having sold 2.3m units across all platforms and has continued to be marketed by Bamco to this very day. Now when I say Yuri is popular, it's not really a bluff. He's been banned from Tales Of polls for awhile now due to how well he's performed in them, he's so popular that he and fellow banned character Leon Magnus have both been indicted into the Tales of Hall of Fame. His popularity straight-up caused former Tales producer Hideo Baba to say that they were considering more characters of his archetype in future installments. He also has the most merchandise of any Tales of character, he's the only Tales of character to have a Nendoroid by the Good Smile Company which means they selected him personally to be one. The entire cast of Vesperia as a whole is very popular, they're also the only cast to all have scale models. He and the Vesperia cast are also the go-to characters for crossovers. Yuri has appeared in Project X Zone 1 & 2, God Eater 3, Exos Heroes, Granblue Fantasy, and many more. He's basically the Cloud to Tales in terms of how he represents the series. I also think that his gameplay style would be something that the Smash team would look at, he combines swordplay with hand-to-hand combat which I think could make for something really interesting. Combine that with Over Limit and I think you have something that lends itself really naturally to Smash Bros. Overall I think there's a lot of good points for Yuri on his own merits which is why I think he overall fairs pretty well.

Want: 100%

Those who have been keeping up with me recently probably know that I recently played and completed Tales of Vesperia. It is my first Tales game so it left a pretty good first-impression I'd say. I really loved the message it had about justice and morals and it's left a strong impact on me. I also loved the game's combat which I think lends itself well to a game like Smash Bros. Yuri in particular has literally become one of, if not my favorite videogame protagonists period. I love his outlook on life and his sense of morals and the fact that he's willing to go to any lengths to pave the best outcome. He's almost an anti-thesis of a typical JRPG hero and such a breath of fresh air from them. Honestly after playing I wish more JRPG protagonists were like him. I also find him interesting in terms of gameplay since as I previously mentioned I think his gameplay mechanics make him stand out, and I also think we should have more characters in the samurai archetype. I do hope if he gets in however, he's voiced by Troy Baker, as it'd feel wrong if he didn't come back as him (That was one of the few problems I had with Definitive Edition). But yes, he gets all of my support.

Anyways back to my slumber, I appreciate being able to come out here to rally for my boy.

Last edited:

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
Another thing I should've clarified, lol. I meant like Flash exclusive characters, like those funny aliens from Run. Honestly, I'll just take back my statement, sorry if I caused any confusion :4pacman:.
Okay. That makes more sense.

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
I’m gonna abstain.

Noms: Concept: Crazy Taxi Rep x10 (10 is the max for today, right?)

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
"Yea, I beat you into next week."

"Next week? But can you really?"

"Nevermind."

Chance: 35%

Yuri is in a sweet spot I'll say. As of now I'm not exactly sure what to make of Lloyd's chances but my gut is saying that he is more likely to be Mii costumed than not. If that's true, then that leaves the door wide open for Yuri who is so popular that he is banned from popularity polls. I would be a bit more confident in him if it wasn't for the fact that Bamco has been sleeping on the DLC but at the same time he is one of their likelier picks. It has been said time in and time again that Tales Of is very popular, especially in Japan and has a long history, plus Vesperia is on the Switch which is another thing to separate Yuri from the crowd.

But going back to Lloyd, Sakurai did pick him of all characters, but to be fair that was at least 4 years before this pass was decided on so there is a chance that Sakurai may have changed his mind. Like others have said, this basically comes down to whether Nintendo wants to please the Smash fans since Lloyd seems to be more popular in this crowd, or go with the uber popular pick that has their game on the Switch. This is also assuming that they pick Tales of instead of another Bamco series like Dark Souls, Digimon, or Soul Calibur.

Want: 75%

It's true that there are other Bamco characters that I would be more hyped for. Namely Nightmare, Agumon and Klonoa. But there is no way I can say no to Yuri. I've been playing through Tales of Vesperia and it's been a great experience. The banter between the party members, the music, and the magic spells and flashy combos. Yeah, yeah, he's another JRPG swordsman but he's so entertaining and I definitely think he deserves a spot in Smash.

As for noms, Ayumi will be in the fixed schedule so that just means I can go through my list faster, starting with:
Pyramid Head x125 (Citing the support thread since it's not listed for some reason, I'll let them know)
(100 for the contribution to the fixed schedule, 20 for today, and 5 extra noms)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Um wow really wasn't expecting these ratings lmao. That's awkward... Ah well

Chance: 3%
As Mr. Sakurai himself succinctly put it, "Who else but Lloyd?" I don't see much of a reason why Yuri'd be chosen. Sure, he wins popularity polls in the Tales fandom. He's always been incredibly popular with the hardcore fanbase. And... that's all he has going for himself.

Tales of Vesperia, despite being ported to every modern system, still sold less than Symphonia did in, like, 2? I think that's ignored way too often. There's also the fact that Lloyd is the popular choice in the Smash fandom. While that might be an artifact from the Brawl days when Nintendo affiliation translated to popularity, that's likely the data that the Smash team has per the Ballot. Combine that with the game flatout selling better and you have Lloyd as the character who would please both mainstream audiences and the Smash fanbase. I think that simply trumps Yuri's fandom in the hardcore Tales fanbase - the way I see it it's like if years after years of polling had Squall as the most popular FF protagonist, it's notable but they're still gonna add the guy from FF7.

Another thing worth noting is that recent poll they made for the favorite Tales games per region and Vesperia didn't even make the top 3 for Japan, which might suggest that it won't even be on the radar for Nintendo.

Combine all that, Lloyd looking like the next Mii Costume to return and Tales of Arise skipping the Switch and I feel like Tales as a whole won't be getting a fighter. A shame but it is what it is.

Want: 25%
I haven't played Vesperia which is something I'd really like to correct someday. But sans any connection it's hard to see Yuri as anything other than a generic dude with a sword. Would be cool to see Tales get into Smash as it's a franchise that's more than overdue but if I had to pick a Tales character I have no connection to I'd pick Velvet any day.

Noms: Gunvolt x20

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Heads-up because the post got left behind in the last page but today's a double noms day because there's no predictions for tomorrow. Also there's a tentative fixed schedule so if you missed it check it out and let us know what you think!

Junpei (Zero Escape) x245
Meat Boy x245
Corvo Attano x235
Tetra x230
Senator Armstrong x225
[Rerate] Louie x215
Concept: Virtual idols like Hatsune Miku x190

200 - 151

Sackboy x185
Kaede Akamatsu x180
Stage: Bowser's Castle
x172
Boss: Rayquaza x165
[Rerate] Crash Bandicoot x160
[Rerate] Tails x160
Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x155

150 - 101

Mii Costume: 2B x145
Gunvolt x140
Mii Costume: Monika x135
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x135
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x128
Boss: Ender Dragon x12
Echo (Bowser) x128
[Rerate] Officer Howard x125
D.Va x115
Ratchet & Clank x110
Fulgore x107

100 - 51

Stage: Tetris x100

Garchomp x97
Giygas x90
Legends Trainer x90
Concept: Darksiders rep x80

[Rerate] Gene x80
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75

Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x75
Echo (Olimar) x66
Magolor x65

[Rerate] Zhao Yun x65
Demi-Fiend x65
Ghirahim x60
Gooigi x60
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Jin Sakai
x55
Concept: Crazy Taxi character x55

50 - 25

[Rerate] Agumon x50

Plague Knight x50
Springtrap x50
Mii Costume: Zagreus x40
[Rerate] Reimu x40
[Rerate] Ayumi Tachibana x40
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Captain Charlie (Pikmin) x30
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20

Joe Random (MLB: The Show) x20
[Rerate] Earthworm Jim x16
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15

Echo: Ms. Pac-Man x15
Octoling x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
Jesse (Control) x10
Infernape x10
[Rerate] Gex x10
[Rerate] Concept: Echo Fighters Pass x10
[Rerate] Q*Bert x10
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x10

Ori x10
Concept: Bonus Fighter x10
[Rerate] Brian x7
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Soma Cruz x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
Pyramid Head x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
Siris (Infinity Blade) x5
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x5

Concept: Tsukihime rep x5
[Rerate] Eggman x5
Firebrand x1

Meat Boy hops past Corvo Attano and ties with Junpei for first place. Concept: Virtual idols like Hatsune Miku kicks Sackboy off the top seven.

Concept: Danganronpa protagonist finds 150 noms.

Concept: Crazy Taxi character rides past 50 noms.

Today's new nominee is Concept: Bonus Fighter, with 10 noms.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm gonna wait until after E3 and we're doing satisfaction until I give an opinion on the fixed schedule. I will say now it's a step in the right direction but given how near the end we are, it does still seem a little big.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Yuri

Chance 1 - I don't really think so. If there's a Tales Of rep I would think Lloyd is it. Lloyd's demand is far higher than Yuri's. Also, Sakurai saying that it's pretty much Lloyd or bust here makes me think that Yuri is pretty much out of the running. I know Yuri is fairly popular, but I don't think that's going to matter much here when Sakurai has pretty much picked his character from the series. There's also the issue of Namco having a lot of potential reps such as Nightmare, Agumon, Chosen Undead, etc. With all that, including major competition for his own series, I don't see Yuri being playable. There's also the chance that we just get nobody from Namco as they don't seem to be overly interested in adding in their own characters. That's still fairly weird to me but if that's how they want to play it then so be it I guess.

Want: 20 - Don't really have a big connection to tales of, but I'd much rather get Lloyd. For as far as Namco characters goes I want Agumon or Nightmare a lot more as well. Guess I wouldn't totally reject this but I can't see myself being all that interested either. Could do worse I suppose though.

Noms:
Ori x10
Joe Random x10

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yuri Lowell

Chance: 65%

Yuri is one of the most popular Tales characters in the fan polls and there's also the additional fact that Vesperia has just gotten a Switch release and is very relevant right now. He has certainly built up a strong following with this newfound relevancy, and Tales is one of the prime candidates to get into FP2 with the still absence of the Lloyd costume.

Want: 100%
Vesperia is one of my favorite JRPGs of all time. Adding in Tales would make it so that Smash has almost all the greats in the JRPG catalogue. Having Tales, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Earthbound, Final Fantasy, Persona, and Dragon Quest together would be a dream come true in so many ways. I don't care if its Lloyd, Yuri, or Velvet, I just love the series as a whole.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Why so many guests ?

We're just rating Yuri, we're not even at predictions yet.
It might just be bots, idk. The number of guests has been abnormally high the past few weeks.

Yuri

5% Chance

Honestly, if I was doing this a few months ago, this would have been higher. But right now, I just do not feel confident in anything Namco related. The mii costumes we got earlier to me seem like a bad omen, given the timeline we can infer of when Miis were negotiated. Even putting that aside, Lloyd is probably one of the biggest obstacles Yuri can face. I know some people bring up the Cloud vs Black Mage comparison, but this is a very different situation for two reasons. For one, as recent popularity polls for Tales of have shown, Lloyd is still a very popular protagonist. Secondly, both in fan eyes and in Sakurai's eyes, he is the Tales of choice. The fact that even knowing how popular Yuri is in the Tales of fanbase Sakurai still said if he chose a Tales of rep it would be Lloyd is telling. His popularity and Vesperia's popularity save him to an extent, but he is far from a front runner or even as much of a dark horse as he used to be for me.

35% Want

Look, Yuri is cool. But at the end of the day, I would rather have Lloyd. I think Lloyd's moveset would pop more. I think Symphonia would be a more satisfying game to see represented than Vesperia for most smash fans. I would personally be quite happy with Lloyd. Symphonia is one of my favorite Gamecube games. Ironically, if Yuri did not compete with Lloyd he would probably do better in want from me. But if I had to get a Tales character, it would be Lloyd.

Bonus fighter x 10

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Yuri Lowell
Chance: 15%
As some of you may know, my faith in a Tales rep is strong, I'd say it's almost guaranteed. That hasn't changed now either. As for Yuri himself, I have my doubts, but he's got a shot.
Lloyd is still who I think it's gonna be, but Yuri or the Arise protagonist are plausible options.
Why do I have so much faith you ask? To be honest, I forgot most of the reasons, but the main reason is this thing that looks suspiciously like the logos used in Smash. Now, people tell me it was used for the anniversary and that was that, but I doubt it.
I'll carry on until I get vindicated or burned :4pacman:

Want: 55%
Yuri is a cool guy. I played Vesperia just a few months ago, and it was a great game. The combat system, while wonky at first, gets really fun once you get used to it.
For those that are unfamiliar with Tales combat, it works based on a 2D plane direction+button system, almost exactly like Smash. Therefore, making the transition into Smash should be smooth sailing.
Anyway, back to the main topic. Yuri would be fun to have in Smash, however, he doesn't have that sweet, sweet nostalgia that Lloyd comes with yet. Still, he has some cool moves, and I would still be happy to see him get in.

Nominations
Ratchet & Clank x20

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Since were only a day away and many agree there's a non-zero possibility of a double reveal happening, has there already been established what will happen to this thread if both final characters get shown tomorrow? This thread might end sooner than expected.
Double posting because I can, but the plan if we get a double reveal and no extra content is a rerate schedule of sorts for satisfaction ratings. It might be nice to reflect on how opinions have changed on characters. As for after that, it depends on how the speculation forms are handled.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Hopes:
  • BotW sequel info
  • Cash Banooca is CP10
  • New Kirby game
  • FE4 remake
  • A teaser for CP11
  • KH 1.5+2.5 on Switch
Predictions:
  • More Skyward Sword HD info
  • More Super Rush info
  • More Splatoon 3 info
  • At least one Smash reveal
  • Padding
  • Memes
  • A new experimental IP
  • General sizzle reel(s)
Noms:
[Rerate] Crash Bandicoot x5

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Smash Double reveal (Swordfighter character and Master Chief)
BotW2 info
New Kirby game
New Donkey Kong game
Splatoon 3 Info
Mario Golf: Super Rush info
Mario Kart 9 teaser

Last edited:

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
E3 2021 Direct predictions
Direct starts with a big bang, Mario Odyssey 2 is announced.
Takahashi appears, and hands it off to whoever is working on the game.
A few smaller titles inbetween, before Xenoblade Chronicles X is announced for the Switch.
More filler, and then a new trailer for Project Hexagram Tactics drops.
A handful of indie titles are announced.
Rounding out the previous titles, DLC for Hades is announced.
Approaching the end, Aonuma will appear, announcing BotW 2 to be definitively coming in 2022. Twili are revealed to be in the game, establishing a definitive connection to Twilight Princess. A new design for Link is revealed.
Takahashi is back: "Oh, and one...", you know the schtick by now.
Uhh, Waluigi is revealed, I guess? I don't really know who might be FP10.
I think Lloyd/a Tales rep will be FP11, but on this one I'm stumped.

Nominations
Ratchet & Clank x20

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Nintendo E3 2021 Predictions:
  • BotW2
  • Shin Megami Tensei V info
  • New Donkey Kong game
  • A new Mario title, whether it be a mainline game or something like a new Mario Kart
  • No More Heroes III
  • At least one new port/remake
  • An unnecessarily long analysis of a game that'll go on for longer than it should
  • Not expecting: Bayo 3, Metroid Prime 4, or Switch Pro
  • Smash: My main guess is Crash, followed by Master Chief. I'm like 70% sure it'll be a single reveal and 30% it'll be a double reveal to end it all.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
  • Botw2 trailer
  • New Kirby game
  • Splatoon 3 news
  • Mario Kart 9
  • Some FE remake
  • SMTV info
  • NMH3 info
  • Some five other JRPGs
  • Smash: leaning on single reveal and saying that fighter 10 will be Rayman and that the TMNT leaker was talking out of his ***
Gene x10

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
E3: wild stabs in the dark

first and foremost: salt. although as people are already salty this probably doesnt count

i would say there's about a 50/50 chance of botw2 being there
updates on BDSP and legends, the one im most confident in
the final pokemon not programmed in to SW&SH are confirmed to be coming
splatoon 3 update, hopefully telling us what the small fry does
mario golf wont be in the direct but will be in treehouse
at least one of the last two smash characters
possibly one last update on SS HD
ports of 3rd party games but not ones im interested in
another look and mario + rabbids
every rumoured nintendo game is disproven

now as for who the smash character in the direct will be my instinct is still some not huge but not obscure 3rd party character. i just doubt all the big 3rd party picks and i feel it will be someone deemed less likely or perhaps a dark horse pick. and as ever half the fandom will be furious. some time afterwards sakurai will confirm the character's showcase

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
2021 E3 predictions/wishes
  • I'm still holding out on the Metroid Prime trilogy. I just think it makes sense as a way to hold people off since the 4th game is likely still a ways off. Speaking of....
  • A trailer for Metroid Prime 4
  • Maybe news for Bayonetta 3?? I feel like me and many others have been predicting this for every Nintendo direct and yet it hasn't happened yet. But eventually we have to get news.
  • A Switch port for The Ezio Collection
  • I imagine BOTW 2 will be a big talking point and I'll say it will have a vague release date of "2022". Probably a new trailer and some gameplay info.
  • An announcement of a port/remake of another Zelda title.
  • A reminder for some upcoming Switch games like the Great Ace Attorney.
  • The announcement of either Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or Xenoblade Chronicles X port.
  • A revival of a dead series (Golden Sun, F-Zero, etc.)
  • My boldest prediction for this E3: Xbox Game Pass on the Switch.
  • Generally, some pleasant surprises no one predicted
  • A few games no one cares about
  • 50% chance of the Switch Pro being announced
  • Now for Smash.
    • One reveal and the character will have their presentation towards the end of the month with a release date a couple days later.
    • Here are my top 5 predictions with brief reasoning.
      • 1. Crash - The clear choice for the next western rep. Nintendo has been advertising him a lot and his revival has occurred over the course of two years which leaves plenty of room for Nintendo to notice his success, plus all the new games are on the Switch. He is easily my top prediction and the character that makes the most sense.

2. Dragonborn - Skyrim was one of the first games shown off for the Switch and Bethesda has been very supportive of the system. Skyrim is one of the biggest games of the last decade. It did quite well in Japan and was the first western game to get a perfect score in Famitsu. Heck it even was an inspiration for Zelda BOTW. To this day it is still a popular game and the Elder Scrolls in general is a notable series.

3. Eggman - I'm fairly confident in Sega getting a character and while I'm placing my bets on Arle overall, Eggman makes more sense for E3. He is the last villain that would round out the villain cast well and Sonic has been overdue for a second character.

4. Capcom character - I'm leaning towards Dante or Phoenix. My logic is that they moved the Capcom character to E3 which explains why a Capcom character didn't show up with the Mii costumes. For Capcom themselves they have such a giant library of characters to choose from that I have a hard time imagining that they didn't go with a rep from them. Phoenix Wright has Nintendo seniority and has had consistent releases and strong demand while Dante has recently made a strong comeback. There is also Chun-Li who is a solid choice for the next Capcom character as she always appears with Ryu in crossover games and is downright an iconic character in her own right.

5. Master Chief - If you had told me a couple months ago that I would be putting him here, I would have given you a weird look. So what changed? Well all the rumors with Nintendo and Microsoft collaborating on something new, despite Microsoft previously saying that they weren't going to port anymore games to the Switch, raises an eyebrow. And with Microsoft being the first western company to get not just one, but two characters is noteworthy. Master Chief would be the perfect choice for E3 and he even made it to the front cover of Famitsu. I'm not exactly betting on this happening, but I could see Nintendo going the extra mile for Master Chief since, well he is the god dam Master Chief and it would have the masses talking.

Noms: Pyramid Head x20

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This is gonna be tough...

• At least Fighter 10 is revealed. Still don't know about Fighter 11. No bets as to who.
  • Something from Monolith Soft, be it Xenoblade or something else.
  • Something from Next Level Games, or at the very least Nintendo acknowledging the buyout.
  • Fire Emblem Remake confirmed.
  • New Kirby game confirmed.
  • Splatoon 3 update.
  • More Zelda stuff.
  • Maybe more sequals to Switch games? I feel like we might be entering that phase of the console's life.
  • Another 3DS port.
  • Something Mario related.
  • More third party ports.
  • Salt (Free Space).
Nominations: Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x10

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My predictions and hopes

Discussion of a new Mario game
New Donkey Kong Country Game
Breath of the Wild 2
Metroid Prime Games
New Kirby Game
Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shiny Pearl and Legends Arceus
Splatoon 3 discussion
Two new Smash Bros fighter’s (Hoping for Lugia and Shantae, but it’s still a slim chance)
New Godzilla Game

That’s is all for now

Noms: Stage: Bowser’s Castle (X10)

Pillow

Smash Lord
Nintendo E3 Predictions

What We'll Get
Double Smash Reveal
BOTW2
Splatoon 3
FE Remake
Mario Kart 9