• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My opionion

First of all, I’m surprised Kazuma got in, even before Heihachi. A bit disappointed that we only have one newcomer confirmed instead of two.

The Metroid Game sounds fun. Same with the Warioware Game, Mario and Rabbids, Mario Golf and a few others.

We also see a big comeback of Advanced Wars, which I was not expecting. I’m surprised by Super Monkey Ball as well.

Overall, I would give it a 8 out of 10. We got Metroid news which is hype

Noms: 5 for Boss: Rayquaza

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
overall pretty lame, not even my favourite series in the world could hype me

• our smash newcomer was just so uninteresting and has got the be the character reveal with the least fan fair. and he'll be the second character on the entire roster i never play, not even to try, after a certain unsettling gun slinger who shall remain name less. sakurai's showing a real trend towards characters from more traditional fighters with the last four character cycles having one.
  • botw2 looks amazing but it looks like we may have to wait a while yet for a full reveal
  • new character and new weapon for aoc look alright
  • metroid dread looks amazing, cant believe its real. looking forward to getting it and those amiibo
  • the surprise return of advance wars was quite nice even though i dont play. so kudos to andy and co supporters. maybe theres hope yet for chibi-robo HD
  • smt5 looks like its trying to hard to be the most edgy game ever
  • having finally seen what dangorapa (or whatever) is like, it seems like its trying to out anime, anime. and i dont mean that as a good thing
  • MHS2 and M+R2 i feel shouldnt have been there as they were in other events
  • and then there was the usual plethora of 3rd party ports i care little for
  • not sure SSHD should have been there as there was nothing new
  • i seem to have lost interest in the wario ware series as that just seemed kinda dull
all in all meh. All noms to tails

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
You somehow saw that and missed the whole 'You get an extra turn off of this to get 8 turns', being the key part of Press Turn combat? Can't think of many other JRPGs where you andthe enemies can double their turn counts
I saw that part too, and the way they described it made it sound almost exactly like the system in Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default. So no, this didn't sell me on uniqueness.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Nintendo E3 2021 Reactions

Things that I loved:
  • Kazuya in Smash. Not exactly a character I was hyped for but I'll still take it. Tekken more than deserves a rep by now and while I would've gone with Heihachi, Kazuya seems to be good too. With that said though, RIP to pretty much any other Namco character (Lloyd is definitely getting costume'd at the end of the month).
  • Metroid Dread. I never really got into the Metroid series but daaaaang does this look good. I love how it seems to be implementing horror/stealth elements into the game.
  • New WarioWare! I love how you can play as all of the WarioWare cast.
  • Danganronpa Switch ports! I've never gotten into the series but have been hoping to do so for some time since my laptop can't run the games. Now I'll be able to get into the series.
  • ADVANCE WARS IS BACK BABY! I've been waiting for a new installment for almost a decade now so I legit screamed when this was shown. Granted it's just a remake of the first two games but I'm still super hyped regardless. By far the best thing shown off today for me.
    • Also you guys better be buying this since if it sells then Nintendo might make more Advance Wars installments and maybe even revive other dead series.
As for the letdowns, the only real one is with... Zelda:
  • Based on the "we don't have any other Switch games" planned comment, it seems we're not getting anything else for the 35th anniversary.
  • While we got to see a bit of BotW 2, we still know almost nothing about it. Not even the name of the game.
  • Not too much to go off of for now, but the BotW 2 trailer seems to imply that Zelda will once again be a damsel in distress. I was really hoping she would be playable in this game so I'm kind of bummed about this.
I give the Direct a 9.5/10. If the Zelda stuff were fixed and the Smash character was one of my personal most wanted, this would've been a 10/10 Direct. But even as it stands now, this was one of Nintendo's best Directs in years.

Nominations:
Mii Costume: 2B x10

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I saw that part too, and the way they described it made it sound almost exactly like the system in Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default. So no, this didn't sell me on uniqueness.
I didn't play those but I don't think it's fair to slam the franchise that invented the whole damn extra turn thing because games that came out a decade later use a similar mechanic but I digress

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Kazuya is... whatever. I've never cared for Tekken, and Kazuya in particular I never gelled with. Not saying Tekken is a bad fit for Smash, I just personally never enjoyed the series and probably won't buy him. Which is par for the course for me with Smash Ultimate it seems.

However the rest of the presentation had some neat stuff that did get me interested:
  1. Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania. I haven't touched a monkey ball title since the original Gamecube one, but my SEGA nostalgia has been insanely strong recently and this came at just the right time for me to want to pick it up.
  2. WarioWare: Get it Together looks really fun. It's been a little while since I last played a WarioWare title, but I always liked the home console versions better than the handhelds because WarioWare is the ultimate drinking game video game(please drink responsibly). Going to get my friends around and have some drinks together when this one arrives.
  3. Fatal Frame: Maiden of the Black Water. I was kicking myself this time last year for never picking this up on the Wii U. I'm glad to see this isn't rotting on the Wii U and is getting the port treatment too. Fatal Frame deserves a chance at success.
  4. Advance Wars remakes. Wasn't expecting this. Always nice when Nintendo throws a bone to it's forgotten franchises. Whilst I can't see it doing as well as Fire Emblem, it's nice to see Andy, Sami and Max return.
  5. Two Point Campus. Okay, I already saw this one but I liked the look of this.
  6. Metroid Dread. Not much of a Metroid guy, but I really like the robotic creature designs in this one. I may actually grab this.
  7. Breath of the Wild 2 teaser. We don't know much, but that water melding ability Link has and the Skyward Sword elements have me intrigued.
Overall my satisfaction is around 85%. It was way better than I was expecting, even if the Smash reveal was the most disappointing part for me.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I didn't play those but I don't think it's fair to slam the franchise that invented the whole damn extra turn thing because games that came out a decade later use a similar mechanic but I digress
It's not a slam on the series, I was very clear about saying that as someone who has NEVER played SMT, this trailer is a terrible way to sell it to me.
I understand it's hype for SMT fans to have another title, but I want to make it clear that this is a terrible trailer to actually get a new player interested in it. At least based on gameplay mechanics. Since, you know, that's the whole point of trailers like these.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Advance Wars is finally back after all these years, all is right with the world.

As an aside, Kazuya in Smash is awesome and Mario Party is good again.

Best Direct ever.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
10/10 Direct

Kazuya was easily the weakest link. Looks fun to play but his gimmick looks to be a variation on something we've seen many times in Ultimate DLC. I also question why they picked him over Heihachi, I can't think of a single reason why they'd do that. I love Tekken and it deserves a rep but Kazuya's always been a pretty boring character to me, especially when stacked against the Machiavellian evil of his father. His trailer was fun though, with him yeeting everyone into the volcano (been loving the memes like Andy throwing Marth and Nintendo throwing Falcon). I'll still buy him, and I'm looking forward to the Sakurai Presents and FP11.

Surprised that Guardians of the Galaxy is coming to Switch. Will probably be a compromised version but still, pretty cool, and that game was one of the highlights of E3 to me.

Monkey Ball Banana Mania! I got super pumped when it leaked and while I'm slightly disappointed that it's a remake rather than a new game, it's a remake of the best games so it'll be great, and hopefully this leads to a true new entry.

METROID. ****ING. DREAD. Need I say anything? I stood up and jumped and clapped like a maniac when they showed the title. Samus' new suit looks amazing (and the implications of her not using the Fusion suit are huge) and it looks like it follows from the ending of Fusion in which she's a fugitive from the Federation. And it comes out this year. Beautiful.

Cruis'n gets a new game! That's cool. Looks fun. Though apparently this in an arcade game that already existed? Gonna have to look into it.

That new WarioWare though, looks fun as all hell. Stoked that it's a new game rather than a port, glad to see that the gang's all there. The artstyle looks cute and the microgames look fun. The gimmick of this one appears to be two-player so it'll be a fun party game.

Shin Megami Tensei V exists and is releasing and that's all I really need. The new protagonist design looks dope, though this trailer felt like it was geared specifically towards newcomers (which is fine, gotta get those Persona 5 noobs), but I'd like to know more about the narrative. Ah well, still hyped.

Fatal Frame 5 gets ported! I always wanted to get this game and I never gave it a shot. I could probably pick it up for cheap on the Wii U but whatever, I'm the kind of sucker Nintendo loves so I'll probably get the Switch version.

ADVANCE WARS IS BACK MOTHER****ERS- ahem. That is very good news. Play these games. They're amazing. That is all.

And it ends with a delightful Zelda Game & Watch and a look at BotW 2. Looks stunning, didn't expect them to go full Skyloft. No title but 2022 release window. I am sated. This game's gonna be real.

So yeah overall there were somethings I expected that weren't here but I mean. I came expecting gold and found platinum. Instead of good ol' reliable Nintendo we got experimental wild Nintendo giving some love to their other franchises now that they're trouncing the competition in the console wars. That gives me hope. What comes next? Golden Sun? F-Zero? Custom Robo? Sin & Punishment? Panel de Pon? Freaking Shin Onigashima? It feels like the sky's the limit and I'm all for it.

Noms: the last two characters I wanted to nominate were Ayumi and Octoling. Now Ayumi's on the schedule so it's all Octoling for me.
Octoling x123 (my extra noms) + today's 20

Editing in my predictions from yesterday, would make a separate post but I'm going to be posting a lot today and I don't want to get annoying.

Alright it's E3 prediction time!

Opens with Smash. Just the one reveal. It's not the massive third party everyone's expecting (no Crash, no Chief, no Dante, etc), instead it's a smaller third party character or a fan favorite first party. I try not to make specific predictions because I'm never confident in them, but just for potential bragging rights I'm putting my chips on Layton
Well I was right! Didn't get the specific character obviously but everything I was confident in happened.

Shin Megami Tensei V gets a breakdown. Gameplay and story get shown off
No story but true for the most part

Triangle Strategy gets a story trailer, drops the Project from the title
A no show. Seems they didn't want to show 2022 stuff

Apparently a new Monkey Ball got leaked, so that totally gets announced
Yup

No More Heroes 3, NEO TWEWY and The Great Ace Attorney don't get trailers but show up in a "coming soon" reel
I don't think any of them were shown which was kinda weird

A new WarioWare gets announced, releases before November
Damn straight

New Kirby game gets announced and gets a gameplay trailer, releases sometime this year
Surprised I was wrong about this one, was the most confident about it. They're probably giving it all the time it needs after Star Allies released a bit undercooked

50/50 on that rumored new DK
It was the bad 50

Something with the Metroid game gets shown off, whether it be 5, Prime Trilogy or Prime 4 (probably not Prime 4 though)
Big hunch pays off

Bayonetta 3 does get an actual trailer (hey Babylon's Fall got shown), no release window though
Nada. See Triangle Strategy

We either get Arms 2 or Mario Kart 9
Nnnope

A new Fire Emblem is announced, still codeveloped by Koei Tecmo, releases in 2022
We got the better version of this in Advance Wars

Both Pokemon games are shown, they spend a wasteful amount of time on the remakes and Arceus still looks like an alpha
Strange that these didn't get shown but I guess Pokemon likes to do its own thing

Conference ends with Splatoon 3, we get major story details, including the new pop duo and what happened to Off the Hook, and gameplay modes
Nyet. See Triangle Strategy

One last thing is BotW2, but we don't call it that anymore because it gets a name. No release date yet but it's followed by an announcement for a Zelda anniversary Direct
Well the gist of it was true, but we got a release window and no name

Treehouse games are Splatoon 3, the new Kirby and either Donkey Kong, Metroid 5 or SMT depending on whether they exist
I think SMT and Metroid are on Treehouse right? Not bad.

As for my hopes literally any Nintendo franchise other than the usuals getting a game would be ****ing sweet.
Of course the one time I don't put Advance Wars in my predictions it gets a game. But it looks like my hopes did the trick because ****ing sweet turned out to be an understatement. And overall I got more stuff right than usual.

Last edited:

Yiptap

Smash Lord
S TIER DIRECT! (If you didn't like the direct, I still respect your opinion, don't worry)
  • Kazuya was neat. I never played Tekken, so I don't have much of an attachment to the character. I would've preferred if the rep was Heihachi, but Kazuya is fine, nonetheless.
  • I probably won't even buy Warioware, but I got chills watching the trailer. It looks really cool.
  • I got freaking goosebumps from the SMTV trailer. I've never played or even watched a SMT game, but I'm instantly sold from the trailer.
  • DANGANRONPA COLLECTION ON THE SWITCH ONE OF MY HOPES CAME TRUE!!!
  • Mario Golf looks ok. That's about it.
  • I may get "The Mario Party Top 100: Good Edition", who knows?
  • I played Monkey Ball at an arcade once, but that's really all I have to say on the topic. I like the graphics, though!
  • Metroid isn't really for me, but I'm happy for its fans! The game looks stunning!
  • A little annoyed that Nintendo waited two years to give info on BOTW2, but something is better than nothing!
  • Advance Wars. Good for Advance Wars fans!
  • I'm pretty sure they spent more time on the Zelda G&W than BOTW2, lol.
So yeah, SMTV and Danganronpa mostly carried the direct for me, but it was overall an enjoyable experience. 10/10.
Noms: Omori x ALL

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm honestly still BREATHLESS from this Direct. It felt like, outside of a new Kirby and a new Style Savvy, that they hit me with everything that makes me happy.

-First off, Kazuya in Smash. Unbelievable. When the trailer first started I thought it was Dark Souls...and then I saw the pit of lava and I freaked out because I knew it was gonna be Tekken. I thought it was going to be Heihachi, but even if it wasn't it's still the second-coolest Tekken protag/villain (depending on the game) they had. I love the ominous nature of this trailer and how menacing and badass Kazuya is. I would have preferred Heihachi overall, but I understand they wanted to work with the devil gene and really one of my own big wants this pass was a close-range brutal fighter, and I absolutely got that (even after Pyra, who I've really been enjoying playing). So, hey, the Tekken dream no longer being dead and finally being able to have KOF vs. Street Fighter vs. Tekken in Smash makes me so, so, so happy.

-Honestly I'm so giddy I can't possibly nail down all the amazing stuff I loved. WarioWare is one of my favorite franchises. I've never clicked with SMT game despite playing a few of them but the new one looks overhauled with a SICK protagonist design. Hell, I'm excited to rate him in this thread. Advance Wars coming back? Amazing. Metroid Dread looking AWESOME! Super Monkey Ball! A home port of Cruis'n Blast! Fatal Frame being ported! A new WarioWare!!!! I was feasting I swear. Also, a Mario Party best-of/remake thing? Hell yes.

-BTW, I've played Cruis'n Blast at an arcade - it's super fun!

-Danganronpa being on Switch has me delighted and the fact that it comes with an expansion from a mode I LOVED in V3 makes me even happier. Can't wait.

-If I had a disappointing part it's that BOTW2 looks...kind of uninteresting. Zelda just being yanked away again, some spooky palace stuff, flying, it all looks fine but I hope the story is meaty like Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, or Twilight Princess. Otherwise, I'm not sold yet. The whole segment was fine, the Game and Watch is something I think I'll actually pick up because it's really cute and having those three games on one collectible is a cool value.

Rating: 10/10. It'll take more than some mild shrugging parts to make the whole thing bad. Overall, truly amazing stuff that has me over the moon, and that's enough to carry me.

Nominations: god i have no idea at this point

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
  • Kazuya was really funny, because A: He flew in the face of almost all our expectations regarding Mii deconfirms, and B: The fact that he casually tosses the corpses of various fighters off a cliff
  • Metroid Dread had me screaming like a loon the entire time. Holy %$#@ing %$#@ this can't be happening. It's been languishing in development hell for so long.
  • Ooh, Advance Wars. Looks like I'm able to hop into the series now

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's been an arcade game for a few years now, and I thought Blast was meh.
Yeah I know it was you who told me in the first place. But thanks for posting because now I can post this without double posting!

It's time for everyone's (?) favorite (?) game (???): Confirmed/Disconfirmed! This should probably wait until the Sakurai Presents but **** it, I'm doing calcs anyway so I have the spreadsheet open, might as well.

Confirmed

Kazuya Mishima
Kazuya was never rated. Jin was rated once and Heihachi 3 times but never Kazuya.

Tekken rep
31.03% Chance - 46.55% Want

Soft disconfirmed

Bandai Namco characters (Lloyd Irving, The Prince of All Cosmos, Yuri Lowell, Chosen Undead, Agumon, Velvet Crowe, KOS-MOS, Nightmare, Klonoa, Don-chan, Goku?)
The elusive double dip continues to be elusive, and I imagine that many will jump ship after we didn't get a second SE or Microsoft rep at E3. Plus, even if double dips are a thing, it's hard to imagine them back to back, especially when it's Bandai Namco, the company most reluctant to get a second rep.

Fighting game characters (Morrigan Aensland, Kyo Kusanagi, Sol Badguy, Ragna the Bloodedge, Chun-Li, Kasumi, all the ARMS characters that were never technically disconfirmed)
This is flimsier, and detractors will point to the overabundance of RPG characters and the fact that Min Min and Kazuya already make two in a Pass, but again, it's hard to imagine back to back fighting game reps not getting revealed together.

Jin Kazama
9.09% Chance - 28.15% Want
x55 noms
Only putting him here because he's not on the stage from what I've seen, but he's another Tekken character, which in turn makes him another Bamco and fighting game rep. And he could get a Mii Costume soon. Ouch.

Hard disconfirmed

Heihachi Mishima (if he wasn't already)
I. 7.82% - 24.82%
II. 42.94% - 56.40%
III. 37.58% - 53.60%

Other impressions

Who's hurt by this reveal? I'd say any character that would reasonably get shown off at E3. It's doubtful that they'll stretch the next reveal all the way to TGA which means that they had the biggest venue in the world and chose not to use it. Combine that with the Smash tradition of ending soft and yeah, you know where I'm going with this.

Who stands to gain? I'd say there's two groups.
Characters from companies and franchises with DLC Mii Costumes: if you're like me and you never thought these meant anything it won't feel like much, but a lot of people were on the other side of the fence. Expect this point to be made a lot.
Anyone who had a game shown off today: if you're like me and are expecting FP11 to have a major promotional component, today's 2021 focused Direct gave us a lineup of suspects, both first- and third-party. Keep an eye out on these games as a lot of release dates line up nicely with the Pass.

I'll be back soon with a noms+calcs combo.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Thoughts:
Note, I only watched with like partial attention so I haven’t soaked in the full scope of things.

Still, highlights:
-Metroid Dread. It’s gonna be my first Metroid game and after playing Hollow Knight I cannot wait! Loved the focus on this year’s games in general.

-Advance Wars is back! I love that!

-Zelda AoC DLC looks really fun, I was a bit worried it wouldn’t be worth the price but so far it’s looking pretty snazzy and a fun time killer.

Again, I haven’t soaked in everything so I’m just waiting until Nintendo uploads the Direct with timestamps.
This was my reaction in the E3 thread and after watching the Direct, some reactions and parts of Treehouse Live, these remain the highlights. I have pretty narrow taste and am pretty single-player oriented, so things like WarioWare being back is nice, but not enticing enough for a over-40-bucks price tag. Still, between the Zelda AoC DLC being surprisingly appealing and Metroid Dread looking really really good, I’m sure I’m set until Splatoon 3 releases.

Oh I just learned that Super Monkey Ball Goes Bananas or something is a remaster of all the games? That’s a lot of Monke.

Kazuya...I’m sure it looks really cool for fighting fans but since I’m not specifically he just looks like a pain to learn and fight. Very much a pick based on “objective iconicness” and with the Heihachi Mii Costume a decent enough break-through for Smash speculation.

Speaking of which, all of my nominations go to Off The Hook

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
My review of the direct.

First of all, Kazuya in Smash is awesome. I love every traditionnal fighting game characters in Smash for how sick they are to play, and Kazuya will be no exception. 10 hit combo looks so awesome to pull off, I hope that you have to input all of it.

SMTV was my biggest hope for this direct, and it delivered so hard. It looks so amazing, and we got a release date. Also confirmed the leak, which I'm very happy about since it was a very good leak. All the uis and the music are also amazing (the uis also don't overtake the game as much as P5, which ig great too). This is my favorite trailer in any Nintendo direct ever, and I'm very happy that Atlus took it's time, because they delived for sure. SMTV is one of those game that show off how powerfull the Switch can be, and I'm even more hyped for it now.

Metroid Dread. First of all, damn that's a great title. Second, it's a new 2d Metroid and it looks super cool. Glad to have seen it in the direct.

Zelda was in this direct. The GnW is nice, and it makes sense since Mario also got a special GnW for his anniversary. But more importantly, BotW2 still doesn't have a name, which is funny to me since I wrote that it would get an actual name in my bingo. Anyway, it looks great, what was shown hypes me up a lot. I'm especialy pleased by how the DMC references go beyond Link having a Devil Arm, since Zelda rode that motorcycle like Dante does in the initial trailer for DMCV.

Danganronpa is a series that I always though should have been on Switch and I'm happy that it's finaly there. It fits the Switch very well.

Fatal Frame and Advance Wars, 2 dead series that are getting a revival, and that's amazing in concept.

The Mario stuff was decent.

MHStories2 was cool, but nothing really new.

Warioware is nice to have, but doesn't do much for me personally.

I though that I was safe from it after SE's presentation, but no, we can't escape Guardians of the Galaxy and Life is Strange. They're everywhere, and will never leave us.

Monkey Ball... Huh.. It's neat, but very forgettable.

Worms was a thing that I also forgot quickly.

Overall, this direct was a 10/10 for me, mainly for SMTV. I am so hyped for it, you have no idea. This direct has incredible highs, and is so far my favorite Nintendo direct of all time.

Also the chat was omega-cringe according to the comments one the youtube trailers. I'm very glad I had it turned so that I did not see people clal SMTV an Undertale and Persona rip-off.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
E3 reactions:

Kazuya is fine. Tekken is fine. I'm not overall excited but it's a good pick. The stage and some of the camera cuts during the showcase were interesting to me. Want to see what's up with those

Metroid Dread. Holy ****. Between that and Far Cry 6 releasing back to back days Im gonna have a wonderful October of gaming. The new Mario Party game is hype too.

Danganronpa finally being on the switch is awesome too. Those who are pushing that idea for Smash just got a big boost for Smash 6.

Everything else was fine. Easily the best presentation with maybe only Ubisoft near it. Found SMT interesting as well but don't really have much else to say on it.

Seems like the idea of more DLC is pretty much dead and over with now too. A slimmer of hope remains for Kazuya's Sakura Presents but I don't expect it anymore. Kinda wild that this is actually almost over.

Noms:
Ori x all daily noms

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Oh boy this was one heck of a direct. Lots of surprises so here we go.
  • First, Danganronpa FINALLY gets a Switch port. And with an expansion of V3's minigame. I don't think I'll buy this since I've already played through the games on PS4 (At the most I might pick up V3 by itself for the expanded minigame), but I'm just excited that Danganronpa got attention in a major direct and that more people are able to play it. Seriously people, play it. Danganronpa is one of my favorite series and there is nothing like it.
  • New Mario Party? Didn't think about that at all. It looks good but I'm not a huge fan of Mario Party.
  • It's nice to see Monkey Ball coming back. I love that Sega is resurrecting so many of their I.Ps. I've never been that interested in Monkey Ball but it has me kind of intrigued now.
  • It's great to see another WarioWare game. I've been thinking about picking up a game from this series.
  • ADVANCED WARS?? It's returned? And I don't have to track down expensive GBA copies to try this out? Sign me up. It's an instant purchase.
  • SMTV looks interesting. I've been keeping an eye on this series for a while now. It's just a matter of when I'll be pushed to try it.
  • Fatal Frame??? That was another pleasant surprise. I gotta check that out someday. It looks interesting.
  • For general stuff, that was pretty much everything I cared about. Now onto the main topic: Kazuya
    • First, I was not expecting Tekken at all. I really thought it had zero chances due to Heihachi's Mii costume. It makes me wonder why didn't they just save that costume for Kazuya's wave? Because of that, that threw everyone off. Funny enough when I saw Ganondorf being carried to a volcano I actually was like "This reminds me of Tekken" and yet I did not actually register that it was Tekken until it was clear it was Kazuya.
    • Overall, I'm fine with Kazuya. Luckily even with Vergeben lying and getting me close to believing in a super hype character, I still had a level of hesitancy and I am glad. While Kazuya was never a character I actively wanted or even supported, I embrace him. Sure, he kills the chances of some of my most wanted (Nightmare, Agumon, and Klonoa) and I was hoping for other characters like Crash and Dragonborn. But you know what? I enjoy Tekken 7 a lot and I have respect for the franchise and its legacy. Plus I'm excited for the music as Tekken has a bangin' OST.
    • Plus I'm just happy that Bamco got another character after 7 years(!). Another great addition from their library.

Now let's take a look at my predictions:

2021 E3 predictions/wishes
  • I'm still holding out on the Metroid Prime trilogy. I just think it makes sense as a way to hold people off since the 4th game is likely still a ways off. Speaking of....
  • A trailer for Metroid Prime 4
  • Maybe news for Bayonetta 3?? I feel like me and many others have been predicting this for every Nintendo direct and yet it hasn't happened yet. But eventually we have to get news.
  • A Switch port for The Ezio Collection
  • I imagine BOTW 2 will be a big talking point and I'll say it will have a vague release date of "2022". Probably a new trailer and some gameplay info.
  • An announcement of a port/remake of another Zelda title.
  • A reminder for some upcoming Switch games like the Great Ace Attorney.
  • The announcement of either Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or Xenoblade Chronicles X port.
  • A revival of a dead series (Golden Sun, F-Zero, etc.)
  • My boldest prediction for this E3: Xbox Game Pass on the Switch.
  • Generally, some pleasant surprises no one predicted
  • A few games no one cares about
  • 50% chance of the Switch Pro being announced
  • Now for Smash.
    • One reveal and the character will have their presentation towards the end of the month with a release date a couple days later.
    • Here are my top 5 predictions with brief reasoning.
      • 1. Crash - The clear choice for the next western rep. Nintendo has been advertising him a lot and his revival has occurred over the course of two years which leaves plenty of room for Nintendo to notice his success, plus all the new games are on the Switch. He is easily my top prediction and the character that makes the most sense.

2. Dragonborn - Skyrim was one of the first games shown off for the Switch and Bethesda has been very supportive of the system. Skyrim is one of the biggest games of the last decade. It did quite well in Japan and was the first western game to get a perfect score in Famitsu. Heck it even was an inspiration for Zelda BOTW. To this day it is still a popular game and the Elder Scrolls in general is a notable series.

3. Eggman - I'm fairly confident in Sega getting a character and while I'm placing my bets on Arle overall, Eggman makes more sense for E3. He is the last villain that would round out the villain cast well and Sonic has been overdue for a second character.

4. Capcom character - I'm leaning towards Dante or Phoenix. My logic is that they moved the Capcom character to E3 which explains why a Capcom character didn't show up with the Mii costumes. For Capcom themselves they have such a giant library of characters to choose from that I have a hard time imagining that they didn't go with a rep from them. Phoenix Wright has Nintendo seniority and has had consistent releases and strong demand while Dante has recently made a strong comeback. There is also Chun-Li who is a solid choice for the next Capcom character as she always appears with Ryu in crossover games and is downright an iconic character in her own right.

5. Master Chief - If you had told me a couple months ago that I would be putting him here, I would have given you a weird look. So what changed? Well all the rumors with Nintendo and Microsoft collaborating on something new, despite Microsoft previously saying that they weren't going to port anymore games to the Switch, raises an eyebrow. And with Microsoft being the first western company to get not just one, but two characters is noteworthy. Master Chief would be the perfect choice for E3 and he even made it to the front cover of Famitsu. I'm not exactly betting on this happening, but I could see Nintendo going the extra mile for Master Chief since, well he is the god dam Master Chief and it would have the masses talking.

Noms: Pyramid Head x20
I was correct on BOTW 2 getting a vague "2022" release date, a dead series being revived, and the fact that we got one reveal with the presentation being at the end of the month. Still a lot of misses though, but that's par for the course.

Overall, I'll give this Direct a 8/10. If they had announced a new Xenoblade title and one of my most wanted characters, that could have pushed it up to a 10. But yeah this is by far the best E3 presentation this year. So many pleasant surprises and my jaw dropped multiple times.

In terms of where my head is at when it comes to speculation:
  • I no longer believe in many of the heavy hitters. Crash, Dragonborn, Eggman, Master Chief, Dante, Chun-Li, Ezio, etc. If they were in this pass, they would have been revealed today or earlier. Smash never ends on a high hope so I'm not expecting any of these anymore (Which is a huge shame).
  • I still believe that we won't get double dips. That means I'm not expecting anyone from Square, Microsoft, and no one else from Bamco.
  • For the last character, my gut still says Ayumi or Arle Nadja but now they just got even more competition which should spice up speculation for a while.
  • For franchises with no real frontrunner that got a Mii costume earlier this pass, they are back on the table. An example would be Assassin's Creed getting the Altair costume but it could still get Ezio as a playable character (Although that was at the end of the last pass but it was still announced in the same presentation where Sakurai said that the fighters were already decided).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Junpei (Zero Escape) x255
Mii Costume: 2B x255
Meat Boy x250
Corvo Attano x235
Tetra x230
Senator Armstrong x225
[Rerate] Louie x225

200 - 151

Concept: Virtual idols like Hatsune Miku x190
Sackboy x185
Kaede Akamatsu x180
Stage: Bowser's Castle x177
Boss: Rayquaza x165
[Rerate] Crash Bandicoot x165
[Rerate] Tails x165
Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x165
Gunvolt x160

150 - 101

Mii Costume: Monika x135
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x135
Ratchet & Clank x130
Pyramid Head x130
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x128
Boss: Ender Dragon x128
Echo (Bowser) x128
[Rerate] Officer Howard x125
D.Va x115
Fulgore x107

100 - 51

Stage: Tetris x100
[Rerate] Gene x100
Garchomp x97
Giygas x90
Legends Trainer x90
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x75
Echo (Olimar) x66
Magolor x65
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x65
Demi-Fiend x65
Concept: Crazy Taxi character x65
Ghirahim x60
Gooigi x60
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Jin Sakai x55

50 - 25

[Rerate] Agumon x50
Plague Knight x50
Springtrap x50
[Rerate] Reimu x45
Mii Costume: Zagreus x40
[Rerate] Ayumi Tachibana x40
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Captain Charlie (Pikmin) x30
Joe Random (MLB: The Show) x30
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20
Ori x20
Concept: Bonus Fighter x20
[Rerate] Earthworm Jim x16
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15
Echo: Ms. Pac-Man x15
Octoling x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
Jesse (Control) x10
Infernape x10
[Rerate] Gex x10
[Rerate] Concept: Echo Fighters Pass x10
[Rerate] Q*Bert x10
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x10
[Rerate] Brian x7
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Soma Cruz x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
Siris (Infinity Blade) x5
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x5
Concept: Tsukihime rep x5
[Rerate] Eggman x5
Firebrand x1

Mii Costume: 2B cuts straight to the core of the top seven, tying with Junpei for number 1 and letting Virtual idols like Hatsune Miku drop off.

Gunvolt shoots past 150 noms.

Joe Random runs past 25 noms.

Pyramid Head cuts past 25 noms... then 50... then 100. Damn, the dude is unstoppable!
--
Calcs

Conker
3.99% Chance - 49.39% Want
The winner of predictions was GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 with 3.69%

Riptor
0.63% Chance - 37.86% Want
The winner of predictions was GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 with 0.79%

Carmen Sandiego
4.26% Chance - 61.70% Want
Last time we rated her she got 4.43% chance and 69.73% want.
The winner of predictions was NintenRob NintenRob with a precise 3.00%

Yuri Lowell
26.08% Chance - 48.33% Want
Pretty unlucky for Yuri to get these scores the day before another Bandai Namco rep got in instead...
First time we rated him he got 17.25% chance and 32.06% want (just after Joker's presentation). Last time we rated him he got 28.21% chance and 46.24% want (in the days following E3 2019 - flipping two years ago!)
The winner of predictions was GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 with 23.70% (OK this is awkward)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
E3 Reaction

Honestly, I'm still trying to process everything. I'll admit, I have no opinion on Tekken, so this wasn't very hype for me, but I'm happy for the fans. WarioWare looks fun, as per usual. Danganronpa finally coming to Switch is AMAZING. But easily the biggest reveal? ADVANCE WARS IS BACK, BABY! I never played the games, but I'm excited to finally give it a try. Also a shout out to Fatal Frame V escaping the Wii U gullag. I heard that one had it especially rough...

Nominations: Concept: Danganronpa protagonist xMax

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Day 1: Concept: League Of Legends Rep
Day 2: Rean Schwarzer (Trails)/Estelle Bright (Trails)/Adol (Ys)
Day 3: Decidueye/Garchomp/Gen 8 (Pokemon Day)
Day 4: Professor Layton/Monokuma (Danganronpa)
Day 5: Reimu Hakuri (Touhou)/Shantae
Day 6: Quote(Cave Story) /The Knight (Hollow Knight)
Day 7: Master Chief/Dovakhin/ Crash
Day 8: Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)/Amaterasu (Okami)
Day 9: Arle Nadja (Puyo)/Concept: Phantasy Star Newcomer
Day 10: Demi-Fiend (SMT)/SMT 5 Protagonist
Day 11: Saber(Fate)/Euden(Dragalia Lost)/Katalina(Grand Blue)
Day 12: Ayumi Tachibani(Famicom Detective)/Officer Howard(Astral Chain)/Ring Fit Trainee
Day 13: Concept Zelda Newcomer/King Boo/Gooigi

Day 14: Rayman/Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear) /Concept: Disagea Rep
Day 15: Sakura Shingumi (Sakura Wars) /Axel Stone (streets of Rage)
Day 16: Andy (Advance Wars)/Ashley(WarioWare)
Day 17: Waluigi/Isaac (Golden Sun)

Well, after feedback from users, here is the fixed schedule. I took feedback from people both in the discord call we had and from pms. I hope you all enjoy this last fixed schedule.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I have never felt less emotions towards a Smash newcomer then I did with Kazuya. I figured he was Tekken, but I wasn't sure until Heihachi showed up. No opinion one way or another.

But regardless of that

Holy

METROID DREAD!!!

Even with Zelda, Metroid was the show stopper. 19 years later we get Metroid 5. New 2D Metroid and it looks amazing. Day 1 buy for sure.

Zelda was cool to see, was kinda hoping for a little more but Links new arm is amazing.

New WarioWare is cool. I might pick up. Advanced Wars caught me off guard. I never played the originals but I'm happy for their fans

Mario Party looks amazing. Might be the best Mario Party in years. I hope they add more boards from the GameCube era in a future update.

Now for the implementation of Kazuya.

With one character left, it really doesn't mean much. But the main takeaway is Mii Costumes really don't mean much. Heihachi mii costume was released ages ago yet we still got Tekken. The main franchise to benefit from this from the top of my head is Zelda. Though an argument could even be made that this could apply to Spirit Events.

Personally I don't think this means much in the long run.

That said, Kazuya is the first character in the pass who doesn't feel like he had base game in mins.

Min Min and Pyra were bringing games too new

We know Minecraft has been in negotiations for a long time.

Sephiroth fixes Final Fantasy 7s Representation.

Although it's possible Kazuya had been planned earlier. So we'll wait and see.

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
A really good direct!

By far Metroid Dread was the best game in that direct. The game is crisp and beautiful, and it is a return to a long neglected series. Hope it plays amazing on the Switch and becomes a best seller.

Tekken was not on anyone's radar, and that's what I love. I never played Tekken, so don't know much about the games, but there are so many made-up "fan rules" that it's nice to be reminded they're just theories and not laws. Heihachi was released as a costume, and now we have Kazuya. We'll have to deal with it. :)

It is sad, but I have to agree that Lloyd and Agumon are very much no-go now. I would've freaked if Agumon managed to sneak in, but he was a long shot anyway with Tekken and Lloyd being better reps for the company.

Other games of note: Warioware and Mario Party are fine games for social parties and friends. Advance Wars was an apparent nostalgia trip for many, so I'm glad for that. Love for Danganronpa is always appreciated. Fatal Frame is nice to see as well.

I'm not impressed with Shin. The game is fine I'm sure, but the graphics didn't wow me.

No Pokemon stuff, so I'm assuming a direct soon.

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
overall pretty lame, not even my favourite series in the world could hype me
  • having finally seen what dangorapa (or whatever) is like, it seems like its trying to out anime, anime. and i dont mean that as a good thing
I understand that opinion, and it does rely heavily on Anime style and tropes. However, having played the game at the behest of friends, I highly vouch for it's story. It's really fun if you enjoy social building/visual novel style as well as classic murder-mystery. (If not your thing, that's okay).

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ending the day now.

Rate League rep. Predict Rean, Estelle, and Adol.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
He was forced to play League of Legends
Chance: 1%
Expect low ratings for any character from here on out since we do have just one left. Anyway, LoL, I don't see it. This feels like something we should've gotten yesterday if it was happening since LoL has such a huge instalbase or whatever. I've heard it's owned by Tencent and is big with Chinese gamers and that Nintendo would want to use Smash to get a foot in there. The problem with that is that I don't even know how popular Smash itself is over there. Is there even any evidence the game released over there? If not, then a character chosen to appeal to China feels like it would come way to soon. Of course a LoL rep wouldn't have to be just appealing to them alone and could attract the general PC crowd yet I at the same time I feel like there are better options to do that with. Like Gordon Freeman or a Warcraft rep.

Want: 0%
For here on out I'll be rating characters in want based on how satisfied I would be if they were the final inclusion. Expect a lot of "Well I just rather want X'' in these final days. Anyway, LoL still gets a zero without that precedent. I can't say it's because I'm not a PC gamer anymore since I'm writing this post on my gaming laptop but I still have absolute no interest in trying out League. Maybe its because of the stigma around it, hearing about how unfun it is, how much of a timesink it could be or maybe because I never understand what the hell's going on when I see gameplay of it but I just don't feel I should even attempt it. So having any of those mofos be character 11 would leave me extremely bumped out.

Rean: 3.64%
Estelle: 8.72%
Adol: 17.21%
Bandana Dee x25

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
abstain. dont really have anything different to say from the last time and dont really wanna go over it again. id like to put my 5 noms towards a new concept: spirit events continue after the fighters pass

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Jesus christ this is so broad

Chance: 10% League is one thing, if nothing else. Huge. It makes so much money and is everywhere, with Riot recently expanding on their fighting game and ****. League has the legacy and iirc some Switch stuff is planned for the series so I'm confident in saying that it has a better chance than most, with so many options to choose from that Sakurai would find multiple characters he'd like to try and adapt. Only real issue is that I have no clue how big League is in Japan, which Smash typically caters to more than the west, otherwise I'd give a higher rating.

Want: I'll say about 40%, I haven't touched this godforsaken game in ages but I do remember liking a lot of the characters I saw, like Teemo and Thresh. I'm very much open to this but I don't have enough knowhow on the series to judge the category properly

Junpei x10

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Some music to get into the League of Legends mood.

Abstaining on LoL since I never really bothered to get into it.

-----

Rean: 8.94%
Estelle: 7.00%
Adol: 17.00%

Nominations:
Mii Costume: 2B x5

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Day 11: Saber(Fate)/Euden(Dragalia Lost)/Katalina(Grandblue)
Idk if I'm allowed to do this but can you please change Katalina to someone like Gran/Djeeta, the main protagonist? It will felt lackluster to have her just because of that leak back in the day that somehow introduce speculators to Granblue and successfully convince them. This is coming from someone who is more familiar with the series. I'm not trying to paint her as a black sheep but it would feel much more "sincere" if that's the right word to say.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Rising from the dead on this thread just because of the theme.

League of Legends Rep
Chance: 5%
Unfortunately, I think yesterday's reveal was the killing blow for League. I don't see Nintendo ending DLC on a western rep, and much less ending on a big series. Plus, seeing as it's mostly a PC-based IP, E3 would have been the best time to reveal it because of the overlaps people usually expect at these events.

I'm still willing to give it a 5% if only because of how close Nintendo has been with Tencent, as well as League getting Switch content and being big on regions that Nintendo is trying to get a foothold on. I do believe that League will still be a dark horse during Smash 6, especially if the spinoffs end up doing well.

That said... looks like we won the lane, but lost the game. :roll:

Want: 100%
A LoL rep (and in particular Ahri) has become my second most wanted after Sora in recent times. It's kinda crazy how it was one of those situations where you don't think about a game you like getting into Smash until it becomes a real possibility. Been playing League since 2016, so I'd be ecstatic to see it in gaming's biggest crossover.

Between the characters, MOBA mechanics, songs and the Summoner's Rift itself, I think League has a whole lot to offer and would bring a whole new audience to the game.

Predictions
Rean: 6.5%
Adol: 12.8%
Estelle: 4.3%

Nominations
Gonna use my 5 extra noms I've held onto for months.

Octoling x 10

BowserKing

Smash Lord
League of Legends rep

Chance: 5%. With only one more spot left in the fighter’s pass, a League of Legends rep’s chance is very low. I don’t see a rep from this franchise get in, but we have been surprised before.

Want: 50%. I have not played League of Legends, but a fighter from there could be fun to play as. But overall, a rep from that game would make a decent Smash Bros rep.

Prediction: Rean (5%), Adol (5%) and Estelle (5%)

Noms: 5 for Boss: Rayquaza

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Idk if I'm allowed to do this but can you please change Katalina to someone like Gran/Djeeta, the main protagonist? It will felt lackluster to have her just because of that leak back in the day that somehow introduce speculators to Granblue and successfully convince them. This is coming from someone who is more familiar with the series. I'm not trying to paint her as a black sheep but it would feel much more "sincere" if that's the right word to say.
Normally I would say the fixed schedule is kind of locked, but in this case it feels like something that would make things better, at least for Granblue fans. Sure.

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
I’m gonna abstain for today, I don’t know anything about League of Legends.

Noms: Concept: Crazy Taxi rep xMAX

Top Bottom