• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Probably gonna get nothing right, but who knows?

Hopes:
MARIO KART 9!!!
Earthbound Reboot
Phoenix Wright as Smash fighter??? (If not him, then Monokuma)
Kirby Game, maybe?
Silksong (I can dream!!!)
Danganronpa Collection
OMORI!!!

Predictions:
BOTW2
Something about Metroid
More Splatoon 3 info
Probably not DK, but there is a possibility
Some filler games (Examples: Knockout City, World's End Club)
FP10, no FP11 (Probably would reveal FP11 on its own to build hype)
The fighter wouldn't be Crash level, but still someone big, like Phoenix Wright The Knight
Not much info on BD and SP, more info on Legends
Windwaker Ports
Some amiibos revealed for Windwaker

Noms:
Meat Boy x All

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
A few more details on Splatoon 3, BoTW2, Metroid Prime 4, and Pikmin Mobile
A new 3D Kirby game, but it's not a full-fledged 3D Kirby platformer
Wario Ware on Switch
Another Yoshi's New Island
The next Fire Emblem remake
Another Musou in a Nintendo universe
LABO gets revived by some new game or DLC for an existing game
Another "99" free-download Switch game
Kid Icarus Uprising Remastered for Switch
Mysterious Murasame Castle on Switch
Chun-Li and a TMS rep as the final FP2 fighters, (honorable mentions: Arle, Captain Toad, A Rhythm Heaven rep, Kiran, and Euden)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
E3 PREDICTIONS

- First and foremost, a new WarioWare. It feels like a matter of time really, the Switch is the perfect console for some wacky gimmick involving the Joycons. I would be surprised if this didn't pan out by the end of the year.​
- It seems very very likely that we'll see that new Donkey Kong as well. My bold prediction? It will be a 3D game - Grant Kirkhope recently teased that he's got one more notable announcement on the way, and putting those pieces together leads me to believe he's doing the soundtrack on this game. I could be wrong but it makes total sense to me, especially since the Odyssey team is working on it apparently.​
- A new Kirby game seems like a no-brainer too... I'm not as convinced as some other people seem to be, but this is one of the potential announcements I'm looking forward to the most. If I had to bet I don't think it'll be like, a 3D Kirby or anything yet though. Maybe a weird spinoff akin to Epic Yarn or Mass Attack.​
- The long rumored 2D Metroid game. I think it's due time that we see this come to fruition, with various sources having been backing this up for years now. and being a nice buffer to kill time while we wait at least another year to see anything from Prime 4.​
- Animal Crossing Updates. Pretty standard stuff, but maybe they'll have something really cool to show off. I haven't played New Horizons in a while so it would be nice if they could catch my interest again.​
- Zelda Anniversary stuff, another really safe bet. As to what that content would be though, I don't really know. Obviously some focus on Skyward Sword HD, maybe some sort of Zelda collection akin to 3D All-Stars too. BOTW2 is the big one everyone will be hoping for and... not gonna lie, I can see it just being completely absent lmao. But I do think it's more likely that it will show up in some capacity.​
- Shin Megami Tensei V information. Seeing how this is one of the big ticket third party exclusives for the console this year I'd be surprised to see them ignore it... seems about as close to a surefire bet as any third party game can be right now.​
- Big collaborations with Microsoft. Either xCloud, a Master Chief Collection port, or both. Seeing how we didn't get any news of that during the Xbox presentation and Phil has been dropping hints about more Switch related endeavors... it's gonna be something. To what extent is kind of hard to say but I think it will be a pretty big deal.​

And now the big guns... Smash talk. I'll give a few possibilities that are on my radar. I'm not really sure whether we're getting one character or both, but I'll specify under what conditions I can see these characters being revealed under.

General stuff first, I genuinely do believe that we're just sticking with the companies that were involved in FP2, using that pool that is already available to Nintendo. That's the trend we've followed so far and I honestly don't see us getting anymore big new companies on board for this reason. Maybe a smaller Japanese company, but I'm standing by this for now.

And a bit of a hot take, I really just don't see us getting anymore Nintendo characters either. With the current standard heavily favoring major Switch games and that pool of options growing ever smaller, I really believe we're gonna end on two third party characters. Hold me at gunpoint I would probably bring up Gen 8 and Octoling, but they run into their own share of issues and I can't confidently back any individual first party. But here's who I do think has a good shot:

MASTER CHIEF - Yup, this is my most confident Smash prediction going into E3 and it ties in pretty heavily with that Microsoft stuff I talked about. I can absolutely see them revealing some major Microsoft / Nintendo team-ups and following up with Master Chief's debut in Smash. I know some people are still hesitant over double dipping, but I think Microsoft is the one that can get away with it. Halo and Minecraft target such drastically different demographics and it feels silly to think Nintendo would limit themselves like that over what... the feelings of their other partners? The community cares about this way more than I imagine Nintendo does.

Anyway, I anticipate we're getting one more big character. It's just a gut feeling... not a necessity, but I do think they'll have saved one more crowdpleaser for E3 and I think it will be Master Chief, ideally to tie in with MCC on Switch or at least xCloud. It makes a lot of sense to me. Can't really go off too much more than gut feeling at this rate but yeah.

A SEGA Character - Sega is in the perfect position to get someone new right now. Like I said before, we've been retreading ground from FP1 and collaborating with the companies that have already been on board with Smash DLC. Meanwhile, Sega stands as one of the only two companies without any content to their name in FP2... SNK being the other one, which is unlikely for fairly self explanatory reasons. So to me Sega is geared up perfectly to receive new content in some capacity. Will it be at E3? Well, it depends kinda, I think one of the characters on my radar could be revealed at E3 solo while the other one moreso relies on a double reveal.

ARLE - I don't give up so easily... I think Arle is genuinely in a great spot right now. As I alluded to before I don't think she would be a standalone E3 reveal, but consider the character I mentioned before. Master Chief for the west, and Arle for Japan - I hesitate to back this confidently but I think it would be a really great balance to strike between two massively influential and iconic characters largely obscured in their opposite region. Anyway, Arle has plenty of merits of her own that IMO put her in a great spot.

Have you noticed we haven't really had a Hero / Terry esque "retro" legacy pick yet? I think Puyo would be a great choice for this, as one of the longest running and most successful Japanese franchises absent from Smash in any capacity and Sega's distant second most successful IP. Puyo Puyo Tsu was pretty much toe to toe with SF2 in Japanese arcades back in the 90s, cementing the series as a phenomenon that almost got a damn theme park and still thrives off brand recognition to this day... according to the series director, Puyo Puyo is the most widely recognized Sega IP in Japan across age levels and it is barely even close. He compares Puyo's brand to that of Nintendo or Sanrio.

I don't want to back Arle too hard because like... I don't wanna get burned, she's pretty much my MW right now. But I'm feeling great about the odds of another Sega character and I genuinely do believe that Puyo Puyo is next on that chopping block. Although there's always a chance of a furry blue rodent getting another slice of the pie.

TAILS - Yeah, as much as I believe Puyo has every reason in the world to be in Smash I would be silly not to recognize that Sonic's brand is stronger than any other Sega property worldwide. People have wanted a new Sonic character for years and I wouldn't be surprised to see another series get a second character via DLC... not just because of Sephiroth but Pythra too, and ARMS already had content in the game in some form. Expanding on Sonic would be easy and it would make a lot of people happy. If we get only one character and it happens to be from Sega at E3, Tails would be my bet.

So why Tails? Honestly I just don't see Eggman happening after Sephiroth, they really drilled in this idea that Sephiroth was a big boss villain and I'm just convinced that's his unique role within this pass. Tails has a Mii Costume which I imagine casts some doubt over his chances, but I'm trying to be on the cutting edge here and predict a major upset (not in a bad way) before it happens. Like, Tails was a returning Mii Costume that came out over two years ago as part of the very first DLC pack. For all we know, and I'd wager it's even likely that this is the case, FP2 was probably not 100% locked in yet and saw finalization closer to E3 (and post Joker's success).

So I think this creates a notable grey area that still allows Tails to be properly discussed. And I think if not Arle, we'll double down on Sonic. It's a little pessimistic on my end honestly, because I really want Arle so I want to have this balance as not to get my hopes too high, but also because I've noticed that Steve / Sephiroth appeal to such a general wide audience compared to FP1's more experimental choices at large. Tails fits right into that as Sonic is about as mainstream as you can get. We'll see what happens.

So that's what I think. I'm gonna abstain on the noms for now because for all I know, they could be worthless tomorrow.

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
I predict that at least one new character will be revealed. Seriously though, pretty everything has already been said.

Noms: Concept: Crazy Taxi Rep xMAX

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
E3 Predictions

Hopes:

• Dragonborn or Crash as CP10, or other great E3 choices like Master Chief, Eggman, and Phoenix Wright.
  • CP11 (getting weary of speculation, and two E3 picks means that Smash could end on a higher note)
  • Mario Kart 9, or content sharing between 8 Deluxe and Tour!
  • Brand new Kirby game
  • Brand new Donkey Kong game, made by the Odyssey Team.
  • This may be more applicable to Namco's presentation afterward, but either We Love Katamari Reroll or a brand new Katamari game (Damacy Reroll was revealed in a Nintendo Direct so it could happen here).
  • Like the above, but more localizations for the handheld Taiko no Tatsujin RPGs (Rhythmic Adventure Pack was revealed in a partner showcase)
  • Pikmin content for the anniversary! Whether it be for Pikmin 4 or an official gameplay trailer for the new mobile game.
  • More Bethesda ports (Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3; not sure how well Fallout 4 would run, given how woefully inefficient downtown Boston is).
  • Metroid news, whether it be a trailer for Prime 4 or that rumored 2D Metroid game, to throw the fans another bone during the long wait.
  • Probably never going to happen, but a Civilization V port for Switch.
  • Breath of the Wild 2 information and a trailer.

Predictions:
  • CP10 is shown at the beginning, character ends up being a wildly Japanese pick ala Hero or someone from an already-represented series like Chun-Li.
  • Brand new Kirby game, citing the recent statements about the franchise's future.
  • Something for Donkey Kong to celebrate his anniversary.
  • More official news for Zelda's 35th anniversary. Possibly a 3D All Stars-esque collection or The Legend of Zelda 35.
  • Lots of minor JRPG shilling
  • General sizzle reel games
  • Some 3rd party ports, difficult to predict, but at least one heavy hitter among them ala Skyrim or The Witcher 3.
  • Breath of the Wild 2 information.
  • A new WarioWare, we're long overdue for one, and no doubt there will be a Switch entry in the series with a heavy emphasis on gyro.
  • Shin Megami Tensei V information
  • Some information on that secret collaboration Nintendo and Microsoft have been cooking up!

Nominations:
[Rerate] Louie x10

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Hopes:

-New Kirby game.
-DK game by Odyssey team, features all the old Rare Cast.
-Golden Sun (HA!)
-FP10 and 11 revealed.
-A new Wario LAND game.

Expecting:
-Almost nothing to interest me.
-DK gets cucked again.
-Kirby is a no show.
-BotW 2 will be the show's saving grace.
-Ports of games that i may or may not care about.
-A port of a last gen Nintendo game that will be overhyped.
-FP10 will be a character i don't care about, same goes for 11 if it even it is announced. (undecided on that idea)

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Expecting:
BotW 2 news
Update on games that is in production
And Smash FP10/or 11 revealed

I don't have a lot to say so..
Noms: Danganronpa Protagonist xAll

Fuzzy Pickles!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1409-9782-5984
Tomorrow is the big day. Here is to hoping that E3 2021 is just as awesome as E3 2010 was for us. On paper, it might just happen.

Here are my predictions going forward:

- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate gets its two final reveals: E3 2019 set the precedence in that we can have double reveals in presentation that last a little over forty minutes. If it does not happen within the Direct, we will see it within the Treehouse as a surprise.

- Lloyd Irving is announced as a newcomer: The Mii Costume has been absent all of this time when most others have either returned by itself or with an already playable character. Ten downloadable characters (counting Piranha Plant) in and Lloyd is still not here. That tells me Sakurai is holding him over. It helps that he is a Japanese role-playing game fan too. Why else do people think Xenoblade Chronicles has three characters?

- The Character Pass 10 reveal will start off the E3 Direct: Might as well start it off with getting the E3 trending everywhere on social media, forums, YouTube, etc. As long as it is not something like Cinderace - which would be a corporate mandate from the Pokémon Company - I don't see how this could go wrong.

- Donkey Kong will be at E3 and it will feature Kremlings and King K. Rool: The franchise featuring one of the Nintendo's most iconic character would never go without a game for seven years, unless a big title was being made right now. After Sakurai gave the order to keep King K. Rool out of the Nintendo Switch port of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze so that his grand return could be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, no way does the Kremling King and his minions miss out on the next game. We'll see Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong as playable, new Kremlings, and the return of Kritters and Klaptraps.

- Metroid returns: Whenever it is a 2.5D game or Metroid Prime 4 remains to be seen. I'm leaning towards a 2.5D game myself. Either way, a Metroid game that releases before the new console is bound to make millions.

- The Legend of Zelda: Breathe of the Wild 2 shows up: Because why not? We have to get something. At least a teaser trailer.

Now to see how close I get.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Just going to predict Smash because idk about anything else. Going off trends im guessing Master Chief or Crash. Only 1 character revealed. If multiple characters show up then I'm expecting a more dlc or bonus character announcement. Also prediciting a surprise Sakurai presents either after tree house or sometime within the last week.

Noms:
Ori x all daily noms

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
My expectations aren't too high tbh

What I hope:
-Shadow as our next DLC character right off the bat (Eggman & Tails fans would seethe while I thrive)
-BOTW2 gets released this year with a full blown trailer
-Metroid Prime 4 news and gameplay, set to release in 2022
-More 3rd party ports, including Tales of, FF7R (this one is impossible), DMC, a MvC collection and Dark Souls
-Final reveal to close off the direct, that one being either Scorpion, Zero or Raiden

What I expect:
-Obviously SMTV
-BOTW2 is a maybe
-DK: same as above
-Kirby: doubtful but fitting
-Smash reveal for CP10 will start off the direct, and it'll be Chosen Undead from Dark Souls, don't ask me why lol. There's a chance he gets revealed alongside Arle. Otherwise it'll likely be a worthless shill that will piss everyone off just as the other presentations already have.
-tons of bad ports that will get the spotlight for 15 minutes at worst and shall cost 60$ at release each
-some random update or DLC for a dead game that will get the spotlight for 10 minutes, possibly being promoted by a Smash shill pick

Note, I don't think it'll actually be this bad, but it's always best to expect the worst just in case.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Smash Reveals

• Lloyd Irving
  • Yuri Lowell
  • Chun-Li
  • King Boo
  • Porky Minch

Other stuff

• BoTW 2 info
  • Zelda All-Stars Collection
  • Mario Golf DLC announced
  • No Bayonetta 3 news
  • No Metroid Prime 4 news
  • Warioware Gold port
  • Splatoon 3 news
  • Mother 3 news because I'll predict this every time.
  • No Switch Pro
  • Another brief 3rd party reel

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
I predict the Direct will be better than the rest of the conferences this year.
That's honestly the only thing I'm really confident in.

Noms: Senator Armstrong x10

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
Predictions:

Double Reveal for Smash: No additional content. No Season 3 or Fan Vote.

Pokemon: They'll have something for the Summer/Fall of 2021. I'm thinking DLC for Snap, maybe (though unlikely) something for Sword/Shield, and probably another trailer for Unite. I wouldn't be opposed to more trailer content for Diamond/Pearl and Arceus. They intrigued many, but also disappointed some who were looking for different graphics for D/P and a more polished non-alpha look to Arceus. They might appease fans with short trailers.
Mario: Nothing big if anything. The franchise has Mario Golf and now Mario Rabbids 2 coming out, and both are advertised decently enough that they'd hold off on anything big from cannibalizing them.
NES/SNES: Something drip fed to us that barely anyone remembers.
Shin Megami Tensei V: Probably a guarantee.
Donkey Kong or Wario Ware: I hear the rumors, and I'm all for it. I think one of these two will get the surprise reveal for the Summer/Fall of 2020.
Kirby: No show.
Pikmin: Niantic will have a trailer for their upcoming Pikmin game. Pikmin-Go if you will. (I sincerely hope it's not called that).
Mother: Some sort of mention. A remake of some sort would be nice. For the anniversary.
Banjo Kazooie: Microsoft surprises us with the trailer for this remaster or new game at the Nintendo Direct, since this is where the fanbase largely is. (This may be my most out-there prediction)
Golden Sun: Remakes/Remasters revealed.

Then there are these four:

Bayonetta, Metroid, Zelda, FX-Zero/Star Fox

The thing is, Switch Pro+ is likely going to happen. They'll either pull a fast one and reveal it, or they won't. However, a powerful console will want to prove it'll have powerful games. This would've been planned years in advanced, and each of these I could see being re-tooled to fit their launch. Bayonetta 3, Metroid 4, BotW 2, and possibly even Legends: Arceus would all be great games to showcase a new powerful system. Add a new Mario Odyssey 2? It would certainly answer the question about where half these games have been. (Am I being too hopeful?)

FX-Zero and Star Fox would be my one true "Out There" idea. I remember the Star Fox racing rumors. I never liked the rumors because we have a sci-fi racing franchise already. I think the better idea would be a Star Fox vs. FX-Zero racing game that hypes old nostalgia on a new system.

As for Smash? Tough to call. No real good concrete leaks out there. I'm going to go with the gut. I'd say their relationship with Microsoft and Square Enix as of late will prove fruitful. Masterchief and Sora/Kairi for the last two fighters. However, I recognize Nintendo may want a 1st party in their last two. I wouldn't be sure who at that point: BotW Zelda, Impa, a Champion .... or what I'd hope for is Cynthia w/ her Pokémon.

Edit: Oh jeeze ....... and some sort of Animal Crossing monthly update.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alright it's E3 prediction time!

• Opens with Smash. Just the one reveal. It's not the massive third party everyone's expecting (no Crash, no Chief, no Dante, etc), instead it's a smaller third party character or a fan favorite first party. I try not to make specific predictions because I'm never confident in them, but just for potential bragging rights I'm putting my chips on Layton
  • Shin Megami Tensei V gets a breakdown. Gameplay and story get shown off
  • Triangle Strategy gets a story trailer, drops the Project from the title
  • Apparently a new Monkey Ball got leaked, so that totally gets announced
  • No More Heroes 3, NEO TWEWY and The Great Ace Attorney don't get trailers but show up in a "coming soon" reel
  • A new WarioWare gets announced, releases before November
  • New Kirby game gets announced and gets a gameplay trailer, releases sometime this year
  • 50/50 on that rumored new DK
  • Something with the Metroid game gets shown off, whether it be 5, Prime Trilogy or Prime 4 (probably not Prime 4 though)
  • Bayonetta 3 does get an actual trailer (hey Babylon's Fall got shown), no release window though
  • We either get Arms 2 or Mario Kart 9
  • A new Fire Emblem is announced, still codeveloped by Koei Tecmo, releases in 2022
  • Both Pokemon games are shown, they spend a wasteful amount of time on the remakes and Arceus still looks like an alpha
  • Conference ends with Splatoon 3, we get major story details, including the new pop duo and what happened to Off the Hook, and gameplay modes
  • One last thing is BotW2, but we don't call it that anymore because it gets a name. No release date yet but it's followed by an announcement for a Zelda anniversary Direct
  • Treehouse games are Splatoon 3, the new Kirby and either Donkey Kong, Metroid 5 or SMT depending on whether they exist
As for my hopes literally any Nintendo franchise other than the usuals getting a game would be ****ing sweet.

Noms: see reaction post
Waiting to count noms until tomorrow just because it might be pointless after the Direct.

And with this, I'm dropping off the face of the Earth until after the Direct. Here's hoping everyone gets something they like! (Unless you like things I hate, in which case **** you)
See you on the other side!

Last edited:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Literally everything I could have predicted has already been said by at least one other person, so I'm just not gonna bother posting predictions. My hopes, though? The big one is hoping that Reimu Hakurei is revealed for Smash. I know it's a stretch, but I can dream, can't I?

Noms: Reimu rerate xMax

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Just gonna bullet point these.
  • Smash. Look, we all know smash will be there. If we get both characters today cool. I would say for a double reveal I would not know lol, but I would say for a single reveal my gut says Crash. Likely getting him or whoever we get this month
  • New DK game. Probs made by the odyssey team. I would lean 3D but it could easily be 2d
  • 2d Metroid game by Mercury Steam
  • No more heroes 3 gets one last trailer
  • Neo TWEWY stuff
  • SMTV stuff
  • Gonna guess we will get a port or two shown off. Wii U ports are kind of dry, so I will guess Persona 5 Royal, Danganronpa, and Kingdom Hearts
  • Zelda HD collections with OoT and MM ports and WW HD and TP ports
  • BOTW2 is the big bombshell reveal with a title and release date

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
MAy as well get this out before the direct.

Smash: 1 character for sure, MAYBE 2. My wish is Reimu and Shantae, but I feel Reimu has the higher chance.

Metroid: Some sort of info on Prime 4, and a new 2d Metroid, having to do with those evil chozo.

Pokemon: Info on both games. I am actually excited for the DP remakes, as I love the design, and its my favorite games. I really hope that they go Platinum story, and also have more new fetures and stuff.

BotW2: New trailer, Playable Zelda. Xmas release date

Splatoon 3: probably some new info.

Indies: We may see some indie games shown, but we know Hallow Knight Silk song wont be there.

Surprises: I am hoping for something new for consol Mario Kart, and maybe some other old games coming back.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Last minute predictions... I have no predictions. As far as I can tell, Nintendo's a full wildcard. So consider this an abstention from predictions.

Except for the low hanging fruit that there will be no enhanced separate Switch model.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Kazuya wasn't who i qas hoping for but he'll do. Looked fairly cool, Sakurai presents should be hype

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So I will post my reactions later, but here is as of now the fixed schedule

Carryover 1: League Of Legends
Carryover 2: Rean/Estelle
Day 1: Decidueye/Garchomp/Gen 8
Day 2: Phoenix/Layton/Monokuma
Day 3: Reimu/Shantae
Day 4: Quote/Hollow Knight
Day 5: Master Chief and Crash
Day 6: Neku/Crono
Day 7: Arle/Concept: Phantasy Star Newcomer
Day 8: Demi-Fiend/SMT 5 Protagonist
Day 9: Saber(Fate)/Euden/Katalina(Grand Blue)
Day 10: Ayumi/Officer Howard/Ring Fit Trainee
Day 11: Concept Zelda Newcomer/Luigi’s Mansion 3
Day 12: Rayman/Sol Badguy
Day 13: Sakura/Axel Stone
Day 14:Disagea (might do a Concept or do Laharl depending on what Disagea fans think would be better)/Adol/Lloyd
Day 15: Andy (Advance Wars) and Ashley (WarioWare)
Day 16: Waluigi/Isaac

Changes: Well, most of Namco seems dead. Figured that we might only talk of Lloyd if his Mii somehow survives the slaughter yet again, but his day is pushed towards the end so he might get booted lol. We did a lot less big characters, though Chief and Crash are getting rerates due to the former having a certain someone leak them and the latter due to not showing up at E3. Rayman also hopped on the fixed schedule since Miis might no longer be a death knell.

The final day added was a rating for Ashley and Andy. Both got new life from the direct. Wonder if people will start guessing they are the shill reps...

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I know the satisfaction ratings will be held back for the 28th, but right now I want to say: I'm surprised, like, hella surprised. For starters, most people thought Tekken was dead because of the Heihachi mii, but here comes Kazuya just to prove the franchise can still pop later with a different fighter. While I don't expect this to happen, I personally believe series like Assassin's Creed have a chance again, even if there's only one character left.

I wouldn't have ever picked Kaz over his dad or his son, but I'll gladly take him for being the very first Tekken protagonist. I love fighting game characters in Smash, so most likely, I'll love to play as this guy as well. And the best part about this? We can finally put the whole "we can't have Tekken characters because of their 3D movement" to rest, big time.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Alright, let's open this classic can. It's been... 4 months, huh? A third of a year.

Early (pre-Sakurai Presents) Hard Winners (Hard = Factual, Soft = Speculative): Kazuya Mishima wins! Welcome to the great fray. As a result, Tekken is also a winner!

Early Soft Winners: Despite the Heihachi Mii Costume already showing up in Volume 2, Kazuya happened anyway. Thus, DLC franchises with Mii Costumes already can get in, which helps a LOT. So far it's only been for a veteran Mii Costume but who knows?

Characters I think this benefits:
  1. Dr. Eggman
  2. Frisk, Papyrus, or any non-Sans Undertale character
  3. Ezio
  4. Perhaps Monster Hunter shows up anyway?
  5. Mallow
Possibly this could apply to companies too, in which case there would be more to look at like Rayman.

Early Hard Losers: If you were holding out hope for Heihachi, well, he's deader than dead now. He's the king of dead. As is everybody else from Tekken.

Speculative Hard Losers: Bamco FINALLY got their second rep, and if the trend of one fighter per company per pass besides Nintendo holds up that spells the end for any other Bamco reps. Lloyd in particular has a Mii Costume waiting to come back, and odds are stacked as **** against him.

Early Soft Losers: E3 has come and went, and we got a decently big name there but nobody groundbreaking. Absolutely overhype third parties like Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, Sora and others, I think, have fallen badly to the extent I will make the claim right away they're donezo if they weren't for other reasons. I also wouldn't count on any more fighting game characters, since they'll likely make the backbone of Kazuya's next volcanic victims-- I mean Mii Costumes.

The full findings will be posted when we see the Sakurai Presents. I may have to bury my most wanted fighter, and at the very least I've already made a grave for two of my most wanteds (and PM is already dead).

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So thoughts.

• Kazuya was a huge surprise. I wrote him off after his dad's mii showed up earlier. I mean, he makes a ton of sense for a Tekken rep. I just assumed his father would come first. That being said, Tekken surely earned its place in Smash. Would be interesting to see where Smash speculation goes from here.I can assume Crash is no longer the front runner. The only huge "bombshell" character I would entertain rn ironically is Chief. Others like Crash, Dante, Dragonborn, or heck even Rayman I think would have made sense to show at E3. I do not think we will end on a bombshell personally. Overall, interesting choice and one I enjoy.
  • Rune Factory 5 looks ok.
  • MONKEY BALL IS BACK. I LOVED OG MONKEY BALL 10/10 DIRECT ALREADY. Legit the first two monkey ball games are amazing and this made my day.
  • New mario party looks to be a good version of the top 100. Glad old boards are back. Hoping they dont do a bad board like Mystery Land.
  • METROID DREAD AS WELL? I MUST BE DREAMING! Legit this looks like the best game in the direct.
  • WarioWare is not dead?!?!?! OK, I am glad we got more Wario Ware
  • OK HOW DID ADVANCE WARS COME BACK I AM SO HAPPY.
  • Golf gets more content added later. who did not see this coming.
  • Danganronpa got ported to the switch finally.
  • MH Stories 2 is cute.
  • SMT V looks great, I am hype for it.
  • Zelda stuff. BOTW2 is BOTW2. I wish they did not spend as much time on a Game and watch i won't buy
Overall, 9/10. Expect DK to show up in the fall direct. CP 11 when? Also Third Pass seems kinda dead.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Direct was overall god tier and so was Kazuya as a Smash pick, can't really say much else aside from the fact mii costumes aren't worth jack in speculation anymore.
The sky is the limit

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
For me, personally, I liked everything nothing there was too awful. The biggest disappointment to me was Advance Wars, IKIK us FE fans have been feasting in comparison but I wanted my FE4/6/Tellius remake.

Kazuya I was not counting on, nor was I counting on Metroid Dread being real.

The rest was pretty good!

7.5/10. -2 for no FE, -.5 for Mario Party Superstars not having GameCube boards.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Kazuya is cool I guess, I wish it was Yoshimitsu, but I'll take what I can get.
Kinda wish they'd just ended it and revealed FP11 too. Waiting is getting tiring when I know there's only a single fighter left.

Also looks like I'll get burned for my Tales prediction, but until I'm staring the Mii Costume dead in the eyes, there's still hope :4pacman:

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
E3 Reactions

Pros:

• Extremely happy to see BoTW2, and glad Zelda's getting more stuff for the anniversary.
  • New 2D Metroid to help make the long wait more bearable for Metroid fans! It looked super cool!
  • New WarioWare, not much to say there.
  • Already leaked beforehand, but Monkey Ball looks super fun! I might give the franchise a shot with this entry.
  • New Mario Party with 1-3 content! I can't wait to see some of my old favorites remastered!
  • No new Fire Emblem announcements means that FP11 is way less predictable!
  • Goku open-world look intriguing!

Neutral: Didn't care about Danganronpa, Advance Wars, or SMTV, but I'm glad those parts of the showcase made a lot of people happy.

Cons:
  • Don't get me wrong, Kazuya's a super cool character and I can see why he was chosen! It's just that his reveal killed off many characters I wanted, including my most wanted character ever, so it's VERY difficult to be happy about this. However, I am glad that Bamco finally got another character!
  • No Pikmin or Donkey Kong news at all.
  • Most of the filler was extremely uninteresting.
  • Not looking forward to speculation for the last character...

Overall I'd give this direct a nice 70%! No big booming announcements and a couple of major spills, but lots of stuff to look forward to as well! Definitely the best of this year's E3 and something that will make a lot of people happy!

Nominations:
[Rerate] Louie x10

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Super weak direct for me.

- Metroid Dread is by far the most interesting thing. I'm leaving it in its own bullet up here because it was that one moment where I felt happy and I want to cherish that it actually is a thing that exists.

And then there's the rest. Spoilering for heavy amounts of SALT
  • Kinda disappointed that so many things I expected, like a Mario Party and Monkey Ball, were just remakes. Good ones, but eh
  • BotW 2 showed way less than I expected, so I'm still on the fence of whether I'll care for it since I got bored of BotW about halfway in.
  • I guess we don't get more for Zelda 35th than the game and watch thing? Surprised they didn't bring in all 3D zelda games to Switch
  • As someone not into SMT, the trailer for it didn't sell me at all. It made the game look like just another generic JRPG ("you can find a monsters weaknesses for super effective hits!" why is this a mechanic you need to sell me in the trailer? It's like in almost EVERY GAME. Who is the audience for this?). I don't doubt SMT fans exist for a reason, but what that is I have no clue because that trailer was less interesting than doing the laundry
  • Why did they keep breaking away to Koizumi repeating the same exact info that the trailer just showed? Minor nitpick, but it felt like pointless transitions.

And then there's Kazuya.
I don't mind Tekken. The trailer had funny bits, I can like that. Buuuut this of all characters is one I can hardly enjoy.
In general I always dislike the "main dude in a fighting game"-type character since what draws me to fighting games is the goofy, wacky stuff like a guy with a leopard head, or a fighting dummy that copies other, or AN ACTUAL BEAR. I'd be down if the demon was the whole character I guess, but it looks like a DLC rage mode (AGAIN) so it's like Ryu with Arsen mode.
I also have the problem where I just cannot do traditional fighting game inputs in smash. I cannot count how many times I get Ryu/Ken/Terry in random and lose because every time I'm offstage the game figures out I'm trying to side B off the side instead of trying to get back on the stage. So this looks 99% likely to be another character I cannot play, which is a huge bummer since it's like giving me one less character for this DLC pass.

So yea, I'm super bummed about this. For me at best this is the type of character where I'll look at the character select 10 months from now and go "oh yea, it's that dude, forgot he was in this."

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"you can find a monsters weaknesses for super effective hits!" why is this a mechanic you need to sell me in the trailer? It's like in almost EVERY GAME. Who is the audience for this
You somehow saw that and missed the whole 'You get an extra turn off of this to get 8 turns', being the key part of Press Turn combat? Can't think of many other JRPGs where you andthe enemies can double their turn counts
View attachment 319244
Replace the Switch Pro with Warioware and these are what I predict
Also damn I got a bingo

Top Bottom