• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Abstaining. I played a little of the first Disgaea game but couldn't get into it.

Beatrice chance prediction: 2.58%

Nominations:
Conker x5

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Before I get to my rating, I feel I should post a link to the Disgaea Support Thread.

I know this kind of thing isn't common, but hey, it's the first support thread I made here, so I kinda have to, in a way. Plus, you can educate yourselves a little on the series.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Level 9999 let's go!

Chance: 10%

So, Disgaea is one of Nippon Ichi's most successful series with the series shipping 4.5 million games as of 2020. It has even started a manga and anime series and the series does have Nintendo history, including recent games on the Switch and the 6th game is releasing on the Switch worldwide this June. It's also worth noting that Nintendo did make Disgaea 5 temporarily free for Switch online members and they have advertised the games in directs so there is clearly some interest there.

Sounds like a pretty good resume huh? Well, I have my reservations. Nippon Ichi and their games are quite niche, and they don't have the same legacy and impact as other smaller companies like SNK. I can certainly understand why some people consider Disgaea a darkhorse pick and I can't be too harsh on it just because it's small, but my gut says that it likely will not happen. I wish I had more info to justify my reasoning but in general I think there are plenty of more likely Japanese candidates.

Want: 1%

I'm very meh towards this. I did play Disgaea 5 for a solid hour when it was free and it's just not my thing. There were some things that I enjoyed about it like Killia and the humor, but in general I couldn't get into it. Thus, I'm not interested in seeing it get content in Smash and I would be underwhelmed if a character made it in.

Prediction - Beatrice - 5%

Noms: Yuri Lowell x10

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
Abstaining. All I can say is, Disgaea getting anything before Tales does could tick off a few too many people.

Noms: Corvo Attano x5

Predictions: Beatrice: 2.3%

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
John Farcry
Chance: 0.1%
Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people know what Far Cry is, and I know the series has a bunch of games, and I'm sure they sell well enough because they keep making them.
But on the other hand, how many of you can even name a Far Cry character? I own a few of the games and I know I can't. But more seriously, why would they pick Far Cry over the significantly more successful Assassins Creed or the significantly more requested Rayman? It doesn't make sense.
Want: N/A

Disgaea prediction: 9%
Noms: Senator Armstrong x however many I earned

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Disagea

Chance 1 - So the good news there is that it seems like this series might be a front runner for a Nippon Ichi. Outside of Ys I've never heard of a single series listed on the wikipedia list of NIS series. So I suppose that should be more of a **** if I know who the pick is type deal there, but oh well. Bad news is that I think Adol is more likely and I can't see NIS getting two reps. 1 rep doesnt even feel that likely. Seems like most if not all of the games from NI are pretty niche so I just dont really see it in general though.

Want 0 - Yeah I'll pass. This feels like yet another suggestion that would only appeal to the Japanese fanbase and basically nobody else. We have enough Japan lean picks in my opinion. There's still so many great western picks out there who don't even get the time of day in the spec scene that characters like these should be put on the back burner until we get western gaming repped better. Should that happen or Disagea get more popular than sure, why not, but until that happens I'd rather have it not be in Smash

Predictions:
Beatrice - 2.34%

Noms:
Riptor x10

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
My time has come, Dood!

Chances 28%

Let me give everyone a brief history of the series. Disgaea is a video game series developed by Nippon Ichi who you might know them for their American branch called NIS America where they localized and distributed multiple japanese games for overseas, and yes this is the company who handle some games from SNK and Falcom, this might not be a huge achievement for us but for japanese game developer it's something special as if not for them their game would've not been notice on a worldwide scale. You could say they have a legacy wink wink.

Getting back on track, the first game of the series titled 'Disgaea: Hours of Darkness' was released on the PlayStation 2 and has been re-released on the DS, PC and Nintendo Switch, the series itself has been on the PlayStation console for awhile up until Disgaea 5 where they started cranking ports of the complete version of the game on Switch and PC (so far with the exception of 2 and 3) and recently decided to make the sixth entry to series a Switch exclusive. This is a good sign for the series as we know that Nippon Ichi and Nintendo is still up to support the Switch and promoting it on future Nintendo Direct.

This is probably good and dandy for their inclusion in Smash as one of the Dark horse pick but one thing that it being kept back is how niche they are and not really a good announcement for E3 with the slots getting more and more smaller with only 2 which I doubt will happen other than revealing them as the last character which subverted my expectations.

Want: 80%

At first I'm not really familiar with the series so I'm going in blind, while the grinding is pretty egregious but I kinda warm up to it, the humor and gags is decently hilarious. There's multiple choice of character to represent the series:

• We can choose the mascot of the game and NIS as a whole with Prinny,
  • We can choose the series' most popular character and add Etna,
  • We can go full on advertisement and add Zed to promote Disgaea 6, or
  • We can go with the main character, Laharl.

Everyone (with the exception of Zed) has been a reoccurring character in multiple other NIS game either as a cameo or playable character, but for me I have to go with Laharl even if it will make everyone mad that this is yet another ""anime swordfighter"" but more cartoony..

Outside of Ys I've never heard of a single series listed on the wikipedia list of NIS series.
Bad news is that I think Adol is more likely and I can't see NIS getting two reps
Uhh, I think you mistaken something. NIS has their america branch where they have been localizing and distributing japanese games for a long time and Ys is one of them (after switching from XSEED) but not only Falcom but other company like SNK, Spike Chunsoft, Koei-Tecmo, Sega and even Nicalis has some of their game localized by them. If you counting Ys as NIS rep you can say that to Danganronpa too lol.

Anyway here's the list of the games:

So yeah, you need to retract that statement back.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This guy, eh?

Chance: 1% Disgaea seems to be the biggest IP owned by Nippon Ichi, though this isn't saying much as they're a small ass company, the absolute lack of discussion around them in general being a good sign of that being the truth

Want: I've never touched a Disgaea game and I know very little beyond Laharl and Prinny, however, one thing I do know is that the games have over the top animations to the point I hear that basic spells or skills can pass as goddamn Limit Breaks, so I'm giving a 10% want out of morbid curiousity and faith in Sakurai to pull up some fantastically dumb ****

Estelle x5
Junpei x5

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
abstain. im never sure which one this is. is it the one with the two-face style bear or the one with that guy who always seems to be in his underwear

nom grunty x5

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Disgaea

Chances: 12%

I can see it hapening. Disgaea is one of those series from a Japanese third party that as of yet has no content in Smash. And while Disgaea has been mostly on PSP, it got on Nintendo recently with Disgaea 5, 6, and the older titles getting on the Switch. Furthermore, we know that Nintendo loves to promotes srpg, and they know that they have good potential, as with how FE is, both in and outside of Smash. It's also very possible that Disgaea gets in as spirits, but it's possible that Laharl, Killia, or a Priny gets in as a playable character too, for example. Not the most likely, but a possibility for sure.

Disgaea is a very cool series. You may know about the thing the series is most known for, which is that it's absolute overkill in term of damages, with the hightest damages going in at least the billions, and up to I think the quadrillions, so it would be very fun to have a Disgaea character in Smash with some set-ups that do ludicrous ammounts of damages. Also, the characters are just fun, and would just be cool to have in Smash, Laharl or Killia would be my picks for a Disgaea character in Smash, personaly. Also Disgaea has a collaboration with Hololive, which is first of all hilarious, but would also give the Smash roster an inderect link to Hololive, which would make it even more hilarious, partly because it would make so that inderectly crossed over with virtual idols, one of the possibly last things he has to cross over with to really have crossed over with all of fiction. But yeah, Disgaea in Smahs would be fun, and the game are good too, even if more on the complex side with how much mechanics they have, even if it makes them really fun in my opinion, check the series if you haven't, it's on the E-shop.

Predictions

Umineko - When They Cry: 7.6%

Nominations

Virtual idols like Miku x10

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Disgaea rep

Chance: 5%. While the franchise is quite popular and has some following, I don’t think we will get a Disgaea Rep for the second fighter’s pass. As a Mii Costume or Spirit is more likely, but then again, we should expect the unexpected.

Want: 50%. I don’t know too much about that franchise, over that a rep would be fun to play as. But overall, a rep from that Franchise would make a decent Smash Bros rep.

Prediction: Beatrice: 5%

Noms: 5 for Stage: Bowser’s Castle

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Disgaea Rep
Chance:
7%
I'm a little sick today so forgive me if this post is a bit zonked out. Anyway, Disgaea is an interesting series because it's a Known name to a lot of people, but it's still pretty niche. What's interesting is you probably have seen or heard of the Prinnies, the series mascot, it maybe you've seen the little demon girl if you read gaming magazines for Playstation back in the day. Nintendo has recently been promoting the series, offering all the games on Switch. The summoning and over-the-top attacks provide a lot of interesting potential mechanics no matter who the rep is, whether it's main character Laharl, a Prinny, or others. That said, the developer isn't someone like SNK or Falcom who are a slightly niche but superbly influential company, so I can't really compare Disgaea to them at all. While Nintendo IS clearly working with them to an extent I just don't see them in the same league. Nintendo works with a lot of companies - it doesn't automatically mean Smash, and I think that's the case here.

Want: 20%
The pros of a Disgaea rep are obvious - cool attacks, recognizability if they go with the Prinnies, and a unique cartoony art style. Combine that with a series with a lot of games and a lot of provenance that has been on many systems including Nintendo ones and you'd think it'd be talked about more. However, even if it's been around a long time and is known in some circles (especially if you grew up in the PS2 era) it still is a pretty niche series. Also, unfortunately, I have tried so hard to like Disgaea because it has fun characters and crazy attacks and the idea of playing as a demon king is fun! But I just can't get into it.vits a decent strategy RPG but the fight->summon->fight loop isn't very engaging for me, and this is from someone who tried it on both PS2 and PSP. Still, it has merit, even if it isn't for me.

Nominations: Corvo x5
Junpei x5

Beatrice Prediction: 6%

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Disgaea
Chance - 10%
This series has been around a while. It’s not exactly popular but it does have a rather dedicated fan base, and the art style and zany moveset potential fits well in Smash. Basically, not an impossible inclusion. However I think the series longevity actually kind of hurts it here a bit, because it shows how little the series popularity has grown despite its long run. It’s also rather Japan focused, less so than stuff like 2hu, and this is less of a death sentence than being Western focused, but all in all I’m not seeing it.

Want - 75%
I enjoy Disgaea and think it would fit very well in Smash. I’d prefer Etna with prinnies to Laharl but both would be fine. However I also think there are better options for characters.

noms:
xMax FromSoft

Last edited:

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
I’m abstaining, because I’ve never heard of this series.

Nominations: Crazy Taxi character x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Calcs (yay! I did it!)

Worms
8.17% Chance - 58.00% Want
The winner of predictions was GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 by virtue of being the highest prediction, with 8.93%

Zagreus
0.91% Chance - 49.56% Want
It's worth pointing out that Zag had one outstanding chance score of 13% (for reference, out of 17 scores, only three of those were above 0, and the second highest was 2%). Without that his score would be 0.16%
The winner of predictions was Inue Houji Inue Houji with a nearly exact 0.90%. That's 10 extra noms for you!
Zagreus is our latest character to join the illustrious Less Likely Than Goku club.

Concept: Curly as Quote's alt/Echo
7.35% Chance - 65.91% Want
Again, this concept had a single chance score of 50% (the only one in the double digits), given the user's post I assume they thought we were rating on a scale that presumed Quote was already in. Take that out and you get 3.47%
The winners of predictions were DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 and GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 by virtue of being the highest prediction, with a precise 6.00%

Concept: Far Cry rep
5.41% Chance - 27.00% Want
Yet again, another rating that heavily skews a chance score. For Far Cry, it was a 25% (the second highest score was 10%), without which its score would be 3.23%. This seems to have been a common thread with last week's characters.
Far Cry rep is now the fifth least wanted concept.
The winners of predictions were Perkilator Perkilator and BowserKing BowserKing with a precise 5.00%

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's Alt/Echo x270
Mike Haggar x265
Bill Rizer x265
[Rerate] Concept: League of Legends rep x242
Concept: A BioShock protagonist x251
Tetra x230
[Rerate] Carmen Sandiego x220
Estelle Bright x220
Ryza (Atelier) x220
Grunty (Banjo-Kazooie) x220
Concept: From Software rep x220

200 - 151

Senator Armstrong x195
Sackboy x180
Kaede Akamatsu x170
Stage: Bowser's Castle x152

150 - 101

Boss: Rayquaza x145
Riptor x145
Mii Costume: Monika x135
Meat Boy x130
Corvo Attano x130
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x128
Boss: Ender Dragon x123
[Rerate] Louie x120
Echo (Bowser) x118
D.Va x115
Todd Snap x115
Mii Costume: 2B x110
Fulgore x107
[Rerate] Officer Howard x105

100 - 51

Stage: Tetris x100
Junpei (Zero Escape) x95
Giygas x90
Legends Trainer x90
Gunvolt x85
[Rerate] Crash Bandicoot x85
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x80
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
Garchomp x72
Rean Schwarzer x70
Echo (Olimar) x66
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x65
Magolor x65
Ghirahim x60
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x60
Concept: Virtual idols like Hatsune Miku x60
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Jin Sakai x55

50 - 25

[Rerate] Tails x50
Demi-Fiend x45
[Rerate] Agumon x40
Mii Costume: Zagreus x40
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x30
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20
[Rerate] Yuri Lowell x20
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15
Captain Charlie (Pikmin) x15
Conker x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
Jesse (Control) x10
Infernape x10
[Rerate] Gex x10
[Rerate] Concept: Echo Fighters Pass x10
[Rerate] Q*Bert x10
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x10
Octoling x10
[Rerate] Reimu x10
[Rerate] Brian x7
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Soma Cruz x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
Pyramid Head x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
Siris (Infinity Blade) x5
Springtrap x5
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x5
Firebrand x1
[Rerate] Earthworm Jim x1

Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's Alt/Echo updates the nominations report, which puts him above Mike Haggar and Bill Rizer at the top of the list. Grunty and From Software rep join the top seven, tied for seventh place with Carmen Sandiego, Estelle Bright and Ryza. Damn, that's a five-way tie... Would make for an interesting schedule if this holds throughout the week.

Danganronpa protagonist escapes from the under 25 club.

Today's new nominees are Springtrap (5 noms) and rerates of Phoenix Wright (5 noms) and Earthworm Jim (1 nom).

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Disgaea Rep

Chance: 13%
I can see why people are giving low scores, but honestly, the "No games in too long" argument is kinda irrelevant here. The sixth game is coming soon, and the new trailer even came today. A rep could even be used for promotion (Although it'd be 10x scummier than Corrin)! However, as said by almost everyone here, Disgaea suffers from being very niche, and not being very well known. Also, this game mostly appeals to the eastern audience, so that's another argument against it. But we have to remember: Smash is a JAPANESE fighting game, so this isn't the best argument against a Disgaea character.

Want: Abstain
I can't rate a game I've never played very highly just because of the existence of Prinnies, but if I had to give a score, then it'd be 70%

Noms: Meat Boy xMax

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Get a load of Disgaea

Chance: 15%
Disgaea is a bit on the niche side, sure, but honestly that's along the lines of what I'm expecting from the last 2 fighters. It's an easy frontrunner for Nippon Ichi, which always helps. Nippon Ichi itself, while not the biggest publisher, is prolific, and has enough stuff on Nintendo systems where I would say they have a healthy working relationship with Nintendo (especially if you count NIS America). Certainly a lot more than some heavily speculated companies like Ubisoft and Acti-Blizz, for what it's worth. Disgaea 6 coming out at just the right time seems like a good omen at least, and imo Nintendo has really advertised it. Not that it would be a promotional rep, and I doubt Nintendo got inside knowledge on its development or anything, but it keeps the franchise relevant and talks with Nintendo ongoing at least. I'd put this firmly in darkhorse territory.

Want: 70%
I played a lot of Disgaea as a kid, as an Earthbound fan I've always liked my RPGs on the wackier side of the spectrum. Let's just say that Disgaea might actually be on the end of that spectrum. It's completely over the top and boisterous and tries its hardest to be as insane as it can be, but there is deep and rewarding gameplay hidden underneath all the humor. I actually haven't played the latest games, heard good things, maybe 6 is a good time to get back on the franchise. But, going back to Smash, yeah, Laharl in Smash would be neat. Not super hype but an understandable addition that I'd be able to appreciate personally.

Noms: Todd Mother****ing Snap x10
Beatrice prediction: 3.95%

Louie G.

Smash Hero
DISGAEA

CHANCE - 5%

Well, for what it's worth, there's no reason this can't happen. Disgaea is on the more "niche" end of things but it's been around for some time and picked up a substantial fanbase. Disgaea 6 is on the horizon and is coming to Switch... it even got a demo that was promoted in a Direct Mini, if I remember correctly. NIS has been around the block, they're a pretty notable Japanese developer that doesn't get discussed for Smash too often (like SNK, perhaps). Pretty solid credentials overall... maybe a little behind most other third parties in terms of overall notoriety, but how much does that really matter anymore?

But to be honest, I'm just not seeing it. I dunno, more and more I'm convinced we may not see any more new companies get involved with Smash at all. And we're nearing the end so it's harder and harder to give characters really generous scores unless I've got some sort of reason to believe they may be under heavier consideration.

For Disgaea, this feeling would have to be pretty much blind faith that I don't have at the moment. Disgaea 6 got a little boost from Nintendo, worth acknowleding, but nothing TOO significant that makes it feel like a game Nintendo has a whole lot of stock in (at least from what I've seen). NIS has rubbed shoulders with Nintendo and put a bunch of games out on their software, but they're also not a company that strikes me as a "significant partner" in the same way most others involved with Smash have been. I think SNK has been a morale boost for these smaller Japanese companies, but I'm unsure if we'll see that instance repeat itself. Wholly possible but not something I can put a whole lot of faith in at the moment.

WANT - 70%
I've never played a Disgaea game, but I really enjoy the character designs. Be it Laharl or Prinny (those are pretty much the two most viable candidates, right?) I think they'd be a character I enjoy playing and would love to see translated into Smash's aesthetic style. I would have abstained because I generally don't like rating series / characters that I'm not familiar enough with to give insight on moveset wise, but I'm positive enough toward the idea of Disgaea and like that art style enough where I figured I'd show my approval regardless.

NOMINATION: TAILS x10
BEATRICE - 2.64%

Last edited:

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Disgaea rep
Chance: 15%
I do think Disgaea has a shot. Although it is not the biggest franchise, the franchise has been running for quite a while. The series' first venture was back in 2003, and is now on its 6th mainline game, and also has a handful of spinoffs.

However, the series has primarily been PlayStation games. The only game appearing on a Nintendo console prior to the Switch was Disgaea DS; being, as the name implies, a port of the original game for the Nintendo DS.
With the Switch this has changed, with the majority of the games now available on the eShop.

Now, all this doesn't really warrant such a high rating, as it's still a relatively niche 3rd party franchise, but there's one important thing left:
The newest game is a Switch exclusive outside of Japan. Now, while that doesn't have to mean anything, I'd say it's still worth considering.

Want: 40%
I have all the mainline games on Steam, and even a few of them on the PS4.
Yet I've never played a single one of them :secretkpop:

Now, why would I do that? I'm not sure either.
They look interesting, I guess.

Predictions
Beatrice: 1.7%

Nominations
Ratchet & Clank x10

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Disgaea rep

Chance: 20%
I'll admit, this is one of those ratings with a bit of assumption making (sorry GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 ). Nippon Ichi Software have been one of the most dedicated third party studios when it comes to the Switch. Pretty much anything they can put on Switch, they're gonna put on Switch. Disgaea in particular has benefited from this, as almost every mainline game plus the Prinny games are on the Switch, with the English version of Disgaea 6 being Switch-exclusive. However, unless you count NIS America for localising games that otherwise wouldn't have been translated (i.e. Nihon Falcom titles), they don't exactly have much of a legacy. As such, Nintendo may not consider them to be as high of a priority in comparison to other options.
To be honest, I have yet to actually play a Disgaea game (6 will probably be my first). However, the series is quite appealing to my sense of humor, with its over-the-topness and non-existant fourth wall. Plus, the games look incredibly fun, if a bit grindy. I can definetly see why people who like the series like it so much. And hey, nothing wrong with getting a new company in Smash, right?

Nominations: Concept: Danganronpa protagonist xMax

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Abstain.

I played Disgaea 1, but never got to finish it. I wouldn't mind Laharl, but I wouldn't be too excited.

Nom: Ryza x 5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Beatrice from Umineko/When They Cry.

Predict Rallen from Spectrobes.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the Umineko mood (courtesy of Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen )

-----

Abstaining for today since I'm not too familiar with this series (I heard of one of the fighting games but that's it). The music slaps hard though.

Rallen chance prediction: 1.50%

Nominations:
Conker x5

Flyboy

Smash Hero
UOOOOHHHH....BEATORICHEEE...!!

Before we get started I just wanna recommend everyone check out Wunderwaft Wunderwaft 's awesome Beatrice support thread!

Seriously, read through this, listen to the music, and do some thinking. I'll be doing a writeup later when I have a bit more time.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Abstain. Considering every time I hear "Umineko", my mind defaults to cats for some reason, I don't think I'm qualified for this one.

Nominations: Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x5

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I wonder how many people are gonna mentally pronounce her name wrong

Chance: 1% Ok. So. When They Cry is a critically acclaimed VN series that actually has a surprising bit of Nintendo history, with Higurashi being on the DS and both Higurashi and Umineko making it to the Switch. Beatrice has quite a bit going against her. Higurashi is the real popular one, visual novels are much more niche than other genres and finally, Beatrice's the villain, not the protagonist, that would be Battler, who she constantly torments. One boom that stands out in particular though is the fact that Umineko has a fighting game, meaning making a moveset for Beatrice is significantly easier than otherwise

Want: 100% Hoo boy how do I ****ing begin here. Umineko is absolutely fantastic even if it sometimes tries your patience and Beatrice is such a charismatic villain who really steaps the show in most of the scenes she's in. She's absolutely hammy, managing to make you put a sickening smile on your face one minute but the sheer audacity some of her actions can leave you shocked and disgusted, while she also makes you feel crap about her circumstances, just like her game! In terms of play style, major ****ing shout out to Wunderwaft Wunderwaft who made the Beatrice thread and a moveset for realizing that a trapper moveset is absolutely perfect for her considering her role as the game master. Beatrice would also bring Umineko's fantastic 200 track OST, Umineko's soundtrack is great and I've made it my duty to inform Sari of 3 good songs. Umineko also has some of the coolest fight scenes you'll never actually see so that's also something to be excited about. Umineko may have taken me about 80 hours, but those 80 hours are well spent.

Estelle x5
Junpei x5

Pillow

Smash Lord
Beatrice
Chance - 0%
People were pretty down on the chances of Danganropa the last time it was rated, and this is a similar series but even more obscure (and not to an insignificant degree). Let alone casual audiences, I doubt most Smash fans have even heard of Umineko When They Cry. While Smash has lowered the standards for the significance of 3rd parties, I don't think the bar was lowered to such a degree where we could see a character like Beatrice.

Want - 70%
I admittedly have never played Umineko, though I do know it by reputation. That aside, Beatrice strikes all the boxes for a type of character I'd both like to see in Smash and enjoy playing. While Phoenix Wright remains my most wanted VN rep (and most wanted character in general), I really like VN characters in general because they tend to come with loads of personality that is readily apparent just from their appearance, movements and facial expressions - basically the type of characters that Smash portrays very well. She's not my most wanted by any stretch, but I'd gladly take Beatrice.

Nominations:
xMax FromSoft

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Abstain. Considering every time I hear "Umineko", my mind defaults to cats for some reason, I don't think I'm qualified for this one.

Nominations: Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x5
Funny enough Umineko translates to Seagull, don't get why Japan calls them sea cats but the title refers to the setting as it's a private island close to the beach

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Beatrice from Umineko: when they cry

Abstain, I have no idea what the series is beyond the surface stuff and I have no idea about it's chances in Smash.

Nominations

Virtual idols like Miku x5

Predictions

Rallen: 7.8%

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Beatrice

Chance: 1%

Umineko's a relatively obscure game. I can't deny that. Still, I've seen its red text thing make the rounds on the Internet, it's on the Switch now, and it was apparently popular enough to get a fighting game adaptation and an anime adaptation. Beatrice would for sure be a Terry pick if she were to get in - not mainstream, but highly relevant within their genre (in this case VNs). I can't say any of that is enough to put her in an even remotely likely position, but it's enough for her to crawl her way out of the no-hoper zone.

Want: 60%

50% is my score for when I'm unfamiliar and/or don't feel strongly one way or the other about a character, so Beatrice is batting a little above average. I don't have any particular attachment to her, but it would be fun getting a female magic-using villain from a visual novel. That's practically a "underrepped character type" bingo card. I guess I just like her style, too. At least from the little I've seen of her. Also, while I have no clue how such a mechanic would work, I think it would be really fun to carefully pick red truths that then must be operated under but trying not to say anything that'll disprove the existence of witches. Or something. That's Beatrice's whole deal right?

Wait, how are you supposed to disprove the existence of magic using colored text that you are supernaturally prevented from using to lie?

Noms: Junpei x3, Earthworm Jim xThe Rest
Prediction: Rallen: 0.24%

Last edited:
Top Bottom