• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

So, it has been a while since anyone has used this format right?

Yes it has your honor.

Honestly, I am shocked it was not used for a few days in particular.

Ok Detective, mind giving a brief summary of the character? Try to avoid spoilers if you can.

Sure thing.

Velvet Crowe is the main protagonist of Tales of Beseria. She lived a peaceful life...until the Scarlet Night three years before the game's story begins. Now she is on a quest for revenge and justice...

I'd love to go more in depth, but that would take us into spoiler territory. I know the game is a few years old, but better safe than sorry. I am gonna turn things over to the defense so they can argue this.

Tales of Beseria is the most recent game in the Tales franchise up until this point. While there is a new game on the works, without more details on it we can say it likely will not come out during FP2.

You say during FP2. Would that mean that if we did get a FP3, Velvet’s chances would potentially lessen?

Saying whether Velvet’s chances go up or down based on a game that is not even close to being out yet in a Fighters Pass that seems less likely to materialize seems like a waste of time.

Velvet offers more than just being the most recent main character in a Tales game. She also has a lot of moveset potential, arguably moreso than Lloyd or Yuri.

So you are bringing them up already?

I was afraid this would happen.

While Lloyd and Yuri are both strong competition within Tales, I think it is safe to argue that Velvet would offer a more visually expressive moveset from the two of them. Her arm mounted lance and demonic hand offer a moveset that would be quite flashy and help make her stand out from other Tales choices. Just take a look at some of the stuff in her support thread.

While Lloyd and Yuri both lean on their swordsmanship a lot (although Lloyd makes uses of dual wielding) Velvet offers a lot more with her demon claw and hidden blades. If Sakurai was solely looking for variety in the newcomer choice, he could have looked to Velvet over Yuri or Lloyd.

Sakurai has chosen characters for moveset reasons before. Robin was chosen over Chrom explicitly due to that in 4. Pyra and Mythra fight solo without Rex as adding him to their moveset was a hardware issue. While these examples are not the most common, we only have small snippets of Sakurai’s character choices, it does offer us a window to see that the argument for Velvet is there.

There is one counter argument I would like to crush before I hand things over to the prosecution.

Her design would not be an issue.

I’m serious. Pyra and Mythra being toned down shows that while Smash is still for good boys and girls, this design is not one that is too egregious. It at least is much less egregious than OG Mythra.

Fair…

Well the defense made their case, lets hear the prosecution argue against Velvet.

Gladly, so the defense already brought up Lloyd and Yuri.

I knew this was going to happen.

This has two big problems Velvet has to overcome. First off, Lloyd could easily become a Mii costume again. Every other Mii costume that was DLC in Smash 4 has come back in terms of the third party ones. While his Mii costume has yet to show up in Smash Ultimate, it could easily show up with one of the final two fighters.

Just because Lloyd could have his costume come back does not mean it will. Lloyd could easily come or his costume could even come with a Tales character, like Velvet.

While that is not untrue, it is something that has to be discussed. Lloyd is arguably a Tales character that makes more sense than Velvet that has solid odds of having his Mii Costume return. Outside of the red shell Mii hat, every other Mii Costume that was in Sm4sh has returned. Every third party mii costume has returned as well...save for Lloyd. While there is the scenario that Lloyd's Mii does not return, the most likely outcomes are Tales content, either just with the Mii or with a character.

This brings us to the next issue. Competition. Lloyd and Yuri both are huge competition. Likely due to Symphonia being a fan favorite in the West and especially among Nintendo fans, Sakurai noted that if he chose a Tales rep, it would likely be Lloyd. Yuri also is strong competition. Not only is Vesperia one of the most popular Tales games, Yuri frequently tops Tales popularity polls, to the point he had to be banned at one point.

Next up, there is the issues of her being a Beseria rep. Tales of Beseria is still not on a Nintendo system.

Joker and Banjo kind of put this argument down. Banjo has had no presence on a Nintendo system since the GBA, and outside of Persona Q2, Joker’s Nintendo connection is thin. Furthermore, Cloud before his Smash 4 appearance had next to no Nintendo connections outside of Kingdom Hearts and Theatrhythm.

Fair, all those are or were tangential to Nintendo, but Velvet is even moreso. Her non Beseria appearances are in the Tales mobile games, which means that as of yet she is even more tangential to Nintendo than even Joker.

Finally, there is the fact that representing Beseria right now does not make much sense.

What do you mean, it is the most recent game out as of now? It even got an anime adaptation alongside Zestiria.

Yes, it is the most recent Tales game. But we know another one is on the way and has been announced. Representing Beseria at this point just does not make as much sense as it would have in say 2018 or 2019. We are four years removed from its international release, and almost five years removed from its Japanese launch. Heck, the new Tales game already has a prominent role in the series anniversary poster, which kind of shows Namco is ready to move on.

Doesn’t Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Arms getting characters show us this does not matter as much?

Those are first party games, in terms of third parties this idea has not been tested as much. Regardless, it is something else that could be notched against her.

And this is not even discounting that we could easily not see a Tales of rep. We could see another RPG get represented like Ys or Legend of Heroes. We could easily see Namco not get another rep.

I think both of you have made your case. Velvet offers a very unique moveset and helps represent the newest installment in the Tales franchise. Yes sir, while that is true, strong competition within the Tales franchise, her lack of a Nintendo connection, and Beseria’s relevancy fading means while she does have a chance, she is likely not the most likely Tales Rep.

1.5% Chance

Abstain Want

Yeah, you think after I did that whole essay with the funny format, I would care more about Velvet. Well, to be brutally honest I am a Lloyd supporter. Even though things are a bit…rough with the Mii Costume still in limbo, I still stand by him and would love to see him, even if I think predicting him is no longer the easy softball I would have said in 2019. Beseria, as well as a few other Tales of Games are on my backlog, which means I personally do not think it is fair to judge her especially given how biased it would be with me being a Lloyd stan. Her moveset seems super cool and honestly she would be so visually unique, but at the same time I just feel myself wondering…why not Lloyd? Either way, until I play Beseria, I have to abstain on her in all fairness. I would have loved to go more in depth on the character description, but I do not want to spoil myself.

Rean Schwarzer x 10

I probably will do a few more of these in the future. It is a fun change of pace for the write ups.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Calcs

Concept: A 4X strategy rep
6.42% Chance - 40.00% Want
This concept had one chance score of 40 while the rest was in the 0-6 range. Without it, its chance score would be 3.06%. Also, there were only 4 want scores for this concept, which is an all-time low. All in all, these aren't very representative scores, scientifically pushes up glasses
The winner of predictions was BlueEyedGrimmbat BlueEyedGrimmbat with 7.50%

Crazy Dave
5.69% Chance - 44.18% Want
The winner of predictions was DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 with a precise 6.00%

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It is time...

For too long, we have ignored A true titan of speculation... a Popular pick. Well Listen up. It Is Time. This thread, will go even further beyond!

Goku is being rated today, For real. I mean, it was Obvious we would rate such an iconic fighter at some point. We rated so many Obscure characters, I think we should Lay back and let Someone iconic take the helm today.

Rate Goku.

Yes, actually. We are rating Goku. I know what day it is, take a look at some capitalized letters. But since this is the fourth party rep to talk about, rate Goku. Since no one could predict this, triple noms.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
CHA LA HEAD CHA LA

Chance: 0% We all know what's gonna be said, Sakurai has stated multiple times that Smash will only have video game characters, most likely due to Sakurai's vision but most importantly, he realized how much of a licensing nightmare it'd turn out to be. There's Shueisha, Toei Animation and Akira Toriyama to take into account and while Smash has tried to get **** done with a non video game character before, that being James Bond, we know for a fact that he was scrapped for 'adult reasons', and I get the feeling this isn't referring to all the ***** he gets but rather the licensing issues. Goku could be the biggest Smash request in history yet this cannot change these facts which Sakurai has said time and time again.

Want: 100% **** it, I wouldn't even be mad, I'd ****ing Joker laugh at a hypothetical reveal, Goku has always been the definition of Chaotic Evil Smash suggestions and some people just love to see chaos everywhere. As for judging the character on himself, it's Dragon Ball, easily one of the most beloved IPs of the entire medium, I'm not a contrarian so I enjoyed my time with Dragon Ball since I was like 14 and found the first manga volume at my local library and watching Kai a few years ago and most of Super so there's already pre-established interest for me. As a fighter, Goku absolutely has enough to work with, but the way I'd imagine him is a character who constantly be making himself stronger, imagine Deep Breathing but it'd constantly stack by having Goku use Kaioken, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan God, Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan (**** this name lmao) and maybe Ultra Instinct to reward him further for managing to get that far. I'd also ****ing adore a final smash where Goku just beats the **** out of you while changing into stronger forms before becoming Goku Blanco and blowing you back with a big ass Kamehameha. **** sounds fun

Beatrice x30

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Cha-La-Head-Cha-la!

Chance: 100%

Dragon Ball Z is arguably the most iconic anime of all time and is what made anime popular in North America. Goku is highly requested and would make the internet explode. With many appearances on Nintendo systems and in crossovers including Robot Chicken, there is no reason this shouldn't happen. I know Sakurai said "No 4th parties allowed" but come on man Goku needs to be the exception. He is uber popular, has inspired countless memes, and is just straight up awesome. Plus Sakurai totally is lying so when Goku does get in, it's more of a surprise. Plus it would be against the law not to have Cha-La Head-Cha-La and Dragon Soul in Smash.

Want: 100%

I love Dragon Ball Z. I grew up watching it and it inspired me to get into anime. It's full of kickass music, fights that go on for literal hours, and has the cool anime moments. Goku would have such an awesome moveset and if Kirby is allowed in the game, then Goku's strength wouldn't matter unless he could turn into Ultra Mega Awesome Super Saiyan Rainbow 1,554,380. Finally it has lovable characters and has that anime charm, you know what I'm saiyan???

Alright I just wanted to do that for the lols. Onto the real rating.

Chance: 0%

Dragon Ball Z is iconic and super popular as all heck, and many people do want Goku, unironically and ironically. But if there is one rule that we should trust and is the one rule that Sakurai always makes clear: No 4th party characters. This means no Goku, no Shrek, no Spongebob, no Steve Urkel, none of that. Maybe in the far distant future Nintendo will consider this but for now Smash is a celebration of Gaming so there is no room for anyone like Goku right now.

Want: 1%

Even though my previous want rating was a joke, there is some stuff in there that is true. I did grow up with DBZ and it's one of my favorite shows. It is what introduced me to anime, just like a lot of people. Goku is a genuinely likable guy and has a ton of unique abilities to make him probably the most stand out character in the roster. Also, the music. Aside from Cha-La and Rock the Dragon, there is also Budokai's original main menu theme, the Dragon Theme, Ginyu Force theme, Vegeta's theme, the SSJ transformation themes, as well as a ton of great music from the video games.

But as much as I love Dragon Ball Z, I do not want this to happen. I mean I would be kind of stoked if it did happen, but I do not want it to happen in the first place. I never would unironically ask for Goku in Smash because Smash is all about the Gaming crossover and there are still many eligible and deserving characters that should get in before we should even think about going into the 4th party territory. Goku would be hype indeed, and the internet would break again, but his inclusion would certainly open up the potential for picks like Elsa, Jimmy Neutron and Mike Wazowski and that is not a direction that I want Smash to go in. Once even one 4th party character gets in, even if it's a one time thing, it would forever open the floodgates and there would be no returning from that.

Noms: Bill Rizer x30

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Goku

0.01% chance

Look, it could happen. But this is one of those times when Sakurai I think should be taken on his word 100%. Yeah, he has flip flopped in the past on stuff like Ridley being impossible or Villager being too peaceful.But he has consistently made it seem like one of his main hills to die on is no non video game characters. That means no Spongebob, no Iron Man, no Spider Man, and no Goku.

That being said, Goku is the non video game character request. Dragon Ball is such a huge fixture in both Japanese and Western pop culture. It has had tons of video games, many good ones too. If we did get a non video game character, it’s Goku. But it’s not happening.

0% want

Yeah, I just don’t want to open the floodgates here. You know that opening the floodgates via Goku would change everything, and not in a good way. Now, people would be debating any fictional character in smash. I just do not want to have to deal with a smash 6 speculation period where we debate if Mickey or Iron Man is the Disney rep, or what have you.

Also we wouldn’t get Budokai music due to plagiarism so reeeeeeeeee.

Rean Schwarzer x 30

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Goku

Chance: 5% -
Sakurai breaks his own rules all the time xP He's going to cave eventually and let a fourth party into the game. And what better choice tha Goku? Extremely iconic Japanese character who still had tons of representation via video games! The Fighter Z series is strong as ever, and with Dragon Ball Super the franchise remains relevant as ever. And even with the memeatic fan demand, Goku has both genuine supporters and a lot of merit that may have caught Nintendo's attention. Sakurai just needs to pull the trigger and bring the idea into motion!

Want: 100% - H*** YEAH! And this is coming from someone with very little experience with the franchise! Goku would honestly be an excellent choice for a 4th party character and every moment of his addition would be hilarious. Plus it opens the floodgates to all sorts of wacky possibilities, which always makes for a good time! When making my joke Project M/Project Meme edit (titled "Project Spritzee") I downloaded a Goku from BrawlVault to add to the roster, and he was both surprisingly balanced and true to the character, which honestly sells me on the idea! People often worry about him being too powerful, but if this is how he's implemented then no problems here!

Also we gotta have these two as alts:

Nominations:
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's alt/echo x10
[Rerate] Louie x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Here's a little secret of mine: I barely read people's names on Smashboards. I just look at their avatars most of the time. So this site is pretty much illegible for me on April's Fools.

What I'm saying is, don't expect a noms update until midnight tomorrow. Sorry!

****, man, my brain can't even register this post as mine because my pfp isn't there, send help pls

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
MY FAVORITE CHARACTER IS STRONGER THAN YOURS
Just a hard zero here. No non-video game characters is a solid rule that's never going to be broken as long as Sakurai's in charge in my eyes. He'd really have to run dry on video game characters to even consider this, which won't be happening for a long time, especially not in Ultimate. Some argue he's basically a video game character with all the Dragon Ball games out there, which I mean... no not really considering a bunch of media properties can have multiple video game adaptations. Even in the insane scenario we do end up getting a 4th-party character there's no guanrantee it would be Goku. He's a very iconic character yes but so are characters like Spiderman and Spongebob, both also having a lot of video games and just being bigger names in general. Yeah, those are western but also known around the globe.

Want: 50% I don't know who dis guy is but I bet he would be very fun to play
0% I would rather have this rule be kept in its place. There are many video game characters I would want to see first before I'd unironically start entertaining this concept. And as far as 4th party characters go, I still have some preferences. I don't really have any attachment to Dragon Ball, I'll admit ve never seen it, though I do know the gest of it. Still, I would rather have Goku stick to MUGEN.

Skullgirls rep x30

Also in more serious news, it seems we can ad Hayabusa to the deconfirmed list. Does not seem like a April fools joke.
So going back to yesterday's Hayabusa interview talk. I found a new interview where he's explicitly deconfirmed by Yasuda. It's by Nintenderos, a Spanish website. I can speak Spanish, so I'll translate the quote:

"Finally, I can imagine that you get asked this a lot, but... Ryu Hayabusa is a truly iconic character and because of this there's many people who believe he should be added to Super Smash Bros Ultimate as a fighter. We know it's hard, but would you like for him to join the roster? We would love to see it!"

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
This is Godzillla slander and I won't stand for it.

Chances: 0%

Goku is RELEVANT and ICONIC. However, Sakurai said no characters who weren't video games characters as their origins, with Goku being one of the specific targets both times, the other being Spongebob and Ironman. So yeah, no Goku is no Goku.

Want: 65%

Goku is alright, but if I were to choose a DB character to put in Smash, I'd probably put Gohan or 17 since I prefer them. Goku could technicaly have a nice moveset, but most of what he does is pretty generic, because he's so popular that everyone copied him. If i were to choose a manga/anime character to get in Smash, I'd pick Giorno, Judai, Luffy, or Miku.

Last edited:

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
"But, muh Goku, he can beat-"
NO. GOKU CANNOT BEAT REIMU. GO AWAY. (Goku):

For how much popularity he has, for how iconic he is in the anime industry, "no non-video game character" is pretty much the only rule that every Smash speculator will agree on. Sakurai himself even said it. Smash is a celebration of gaming, and there's no reason to ruin that by putting in a 4th-party. No, having a ton of video games based on your franchise won't help you if you didn't originate from a game. Besides, there are other 4th party characters out there, and god knows how many 3rd and 1st party character who both have way bigger chances of getting in and deserve it more.

Want: 0%
Let's not.

First of all, I would much prefer no 4th party whatsoever. Smash being a massive video game crossover is enough on its own - nobody needs to turn it into a crossover of media as a whole. He's better off in MUGEN or fan creations.

Second, I have no connection to Dragon Ball whatsoever. That might sound crazy from someone who is an open Touhou fan and a closet Fate fan, but I've never touched DB and have no intentions of doing so. I'm still sinking into the Touhou rabbit hole, mind you.

Third, if someone put a sack over my head, tied me to a chair, pointed a pistol to my head and told me to name the one 4th party character I remotely even want in Smash, I would pick Jotaro in a heartbeat. (Giorno would be fine, but personally I think Jotaro is more iconic.)

The only good thing that would come out of it is that Goku would nuke the Internet ten times over if he was revealed.

Noms: Corvo Attano x35

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
(You have no idea how disappointed I am I didn't get my boy Krillin as my avatar. I am legit a little disappointed.)

Goku or Joku?
He's already in. In fact he's in three times. 300% confirmed:

:ultlucario:: Same dub voice, has a super form where he shoots a massive Kamehameha out his hands. Attacks with energy. Even has an after image counter.
:ulthero3:: Same art style, both being created by Akira Toriyama. Toriyama has a very unique visual style.
:ultsonic:: Has a golden super form and is well known for collecting seven mystical trinkets. Has an edgy rival who crosses his arms and says "hmph" a whole lot.

Goku's a character that's incredibly famous and he pops up a lot whenever Smash speculation happens. Fan Smash titles nearly always include him, and Dragonball is so huge in Latin America that episodes of Super aired supposedly in the town center.

Unfortunately, he's also not a video game character. People love to bring up that Lucario and Lugia both debuted in the Pokemon anime rather than the games, but that's a pretty different situation. I've seen people bring up Dr. Kawashima and Dracula in an attempt to justify Goku being the 'sole' exception, but seeing as it's the only rule Sakurai has genuinely stated rather than being a fan rule, we can assume the actual chance is:

I love Dragonball. I don't know why, it's hot garbage as shonens go, and Toriyama cannot plan to save his life. It's responsible for creating a lot of the awful power creep and obsession with power levels that plague modern shonen today...but Toriyama IS very good at writing likable characters, drawing easy to follow action scenes and making funny gags, and Dragonball absolutely excels at these things.
The cast are very likable for the most part, I really like Master Roshi's moments of wise reflection(not so much his handsy pervert jokes), the character arc that both Piccolo and Vegeta got, the moments where a secondary character gets to shine, etc.

However, Dragonball is also incredibly boring with it's characters abilities IMO, especially when comparing it to virtually any other shonen.

Goku's moveset in particular feels very vanilla to me even compared to his friends who tend to have more exciting ki based attacks such as Piccolo's homing bombs in Hellzone Grenade, Krillin's bladed ki buzzsaw in Destructo Disc or Tenshinhan's life sapping Tri-Beam. Yes, I'm aware Goku is capable of using at least the Destructo Disc, but it's never one of his attacks in any video game with him usually being stuck with bigger and bigger Kamehamehas and a Spirit Bomb at best, usually combined with his ever growing number of transformations that don't affect much other than make him stronger.

Something I see a lot of for some reason is people who want Goku playable in Smash seem to think he'll be this incredibly accurate unbeatable individual that only they'll play(for some reason nobody else will in their scenarios), but if we're really honest with ourselves what's more than likely to actually happen should he get in Smash is the near unstoppable god level Goku is going to get his ass beat by the likes of Pichu on the Battlefield.

Goku will of course, also open up the gates to all manner of non-video game characters. As much as people pushing for Goku think he should be the only exception...well, why should he be?
Because he's appeared in lots of video games? Well so have Batman, Spider-Man and Mickey Mouse.
Because he's a Japanese icon? Well so is Hello Kitty, Sailor Moon, Luffy and Doraemon and the latter even got requests for it in Sakurai's "if there was a Smash 2" poll.
Because Dragonball is a massive media franchise? Anpanman, Hello Kitty, Mario and Pokemon all dwarf Dragonball's overall sales in that department, and that's just from Japan. Batman, Marvel as a whole, Spider-Man, Mickey, Winnie the Pooh, Star Wars, Harry Potter and Transformers are all above Dragonball's success.

Truth be told there isn't really any catogary Goku and Goku alone makes sense. I don't want him. Happy for him to keep crossing over with Luffy, Naruto, Ichigo, Deku and the gang in Shonen Jump's own crossovers, but I have no desire to watch Goku vs. Mario.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Goku made it to smash, we just haven't trained hard enough.

Realistically I like him and would enjoy him being in the game. Even if you don't want to play him, you can say your main just bodied Goku lol.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What do you think today is?
the day the internet proves it can be more irritating

fine ill play along: super meme man

chances: 0% want: 0% there have been some terrible suggestions for smash characters, mewtwo, snake, inceneroar, bayo, a fifth fe character, terry, daisy, the belmonts, ken, pitto, doc, the koopalings, PP but goku would be even worse than all those ideas. bar bayo. dragon ball comes across and something thatd be hard to enjoy as it seems to be the origin of most things that make anime hard to enjoy and bring down the experience in jrpgs. as far as i can tell there is no upside to this and even rating it as a joke feels like a very bad idea.

nom grunty x5

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

Chance: 0 %

This article should sum it all. Non-video game characters, especially manga/anime characters in general are licensing nightmare. That's why Sakurai said manga characters won't join obviously. He already knew how much legal trouble it is. Spiderman has better chance of joining because Marvel holds right to Spiderman games. No, Sony doesn't own Spiderman game right. But, Dragonball rights are spread apart across the globe. It wouldn't be worth trouble. It would asking to split profit too much.

I grew up with Dragonball. But, this is like asking Bandai Namco to put Superman into DBZF or requesting Capcom to put Batman into Marvel vs Capcom. It's asking for betraying theme. I know what day is today. Even then, this is the line I don't want Nintendo to cross. There are still **** ton of video game characters to choose.

Ryza x 30

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Goku

Sakurai flat out said in that one interview that characters like Goku and Iron Man won't be happening. There's really nothing else to say here about his chances.

Chance: 50%
This is such a hard score to give.

So as far as me asking Goku to get in, yeah I would never do that. I think bringing in non-videogame characters like Goku is something Smash doesn't need. It opens up the door for other characters like Spongebob and Shrek who would ruin the feel of Smash. I like Smash as a giant videogame crossover and would like to keep it that way.

....With that said though... if Goku did get in... I'd be totally alright with it.

I love Dragon Ball. It's really stupid especially after watching a lot of better Shonen, but it's still stupid fun. Regardless if you want Goku or not, you have to admit his series has a ton of amazing content to choose from which is why I had such a blast doing today's music post (can you imagine if Ka Ka Kazi Daze actually made it in?). Goku himself would be a fun powerup character and it'd be cool to go into different forms. Also if he could go SSJ4 (which probably wouldn't happen unfortunately) then this score would go up by another 30 points.

The only other thing holding this score back would be my preference for other Shonen characters. Specifically, I'd probably want Luffy from One Piece or Jotaro from JoJo more than Goku since I enjoy those series more. But either way, Goku in Smash would be a site to behold.

Nominations:
Trevor Philips x30

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Chance 100% he’s absolutely getting in, no doubt about it. Give me one good reason he won’t be the next character. Go ahead give it to me

Want: 60% could be cool

Nominations: A living embodiment of the concept of Joycon Drift x5

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Goku (April Fools edition)

Chance: 0%. Technically a Goku can show up, but we’re not talking about that obscure monkey that is a spirit. The main reason why is chance is 0% is because of all the licensing he has to go through in order to get in. Of course popularity has over things to say, but the first rule of Smash is video games only.

Want: ???. While I prefer my Smash games with only video game characters, and Goku wouldn’t not be my first choice for a 4th Party rep, but on the overhand, he has tons of moveset potentials and appearances in Fan Games (Flash 2 and Crusade) that could show that he could work. But that is all I have to say for the matter.

Noms: Stage: Bowser’s Castle (5 noms)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Goku
Chance:
0%
I know this is a funny rating to match the theme and the day (and I appreciate it - it's a good bit) but I'm going to take it seriously, dammit! Anyway, when Sakurai namedrops you and says multiple times you aren't getting in, I'm pretty sure you're not getting in. Even if Sakurai were to open Smash to fourth parties (something I'm not inherently against) he has specifically said that Goku and Iron Man have no chance. When you consider that Hero was specifically given Dragon Ball-esque animations as a fun shoutout to those who want him, I think that torpedoes his already slim chances. Psyche Up will be the best we'll get.

Yeah. I'm that person. Look, I'm sorry, I just can't help it. I love Dragon Ball. I have zero objections to fourth party characters getting in Smash if they have a connection to gaming (and tbh I think the Support Thread rules should allow them - I'd love a Tony Hawk or Scrooge McDuck thread), and Goku has a long history as a pop culture icon both in Japan and overseas with a ton of great games to boot. FighterZ is still going strong and it helped ArcSys finally break into the mainstream. Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z/Kai, and Dragon Ball Super are all fun, charming, exciting shows that I've grown to love as a form of simple comforts. They have enough bite and charm in their characters to have depth and meaning, with enough silly excitement and cool fights to stay interesting, and each piece of DB media offers a unique experience. I have a channel in my home that plays every DB show in random order throughout the day, and it's so fun to be able to tune in and see it whenever I want.

I wouldn't say it's one of my favorite series' and Goku isn't even close to my favorite Shonen Jump protagonist (which would probably be Luffy). But he is truly one of the most iconic characters out there and I absolutely love that. Smash is about iconic characters with ties to videogames duking it out in a ridiculous dream match, and to me Goku fits that mold because of how games like Budokai and Legacy of Goku felt like staple games to me growing up and how FighterZ continues to dominate nowadays. He has charm, is iconic, would have a really fun moveset based around movement and powering up through his different forms, and he'd also be hilarious. Like, I'm sorry, I just think the idea is funny and I don't buy into nor do I care about the slippery slope argument of people asking for random non-game characters. At the end of the day, we ask for and rate characters that are just as ridiculous - is rating James Bond or Tony Hawk every so often really going to "hurt the integrity" of Smash, especially when we can't actually control who gets in as fans? Naaaah. I think as a rare treat a character like Goku, who would absolutely break the internet, is fun to consider.

Besides, I really don't think the memes are that bad. They started with tongue-in-cheek, but if the really well-done mods are any indication, for a lot of people it's as simple as seeing an exciting character they love mix it up in a game they love, and I gotta respect that.

Nominations: Beatrice x30

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Goku

Couldn't decide if I wanted to joke rating this or not. Going to be the straight man today I guess.

Chance 0 - 4th parties will never get into Smash as playable characters. I really don't think Nintendo or Sakurai would ever let that happen. Sure, maybe there was some room for it from the 64-Brawl days but now with Nintendo and Sakurai seemingly settling on Smash's identity being a video game crossover and with it being extremely successful in that role I can't see it going in a different direction. Plus, that's also the one rule Sakurai seemingly set in stone will not happen and to this point he hasn't even kinda budged from it. Not even a 4th party mii costume or spirit has shown up yet. Only thing close was the beam sword from the early smash days which has since been changed to no longer resemble a lightsaber.

Want 0 - Yep, still don't want this. I don't want any 4th parties in Smash in general but there are a few that I'd accept. Ones with extremely close ties to video games like Wreck It Ralph or Tony Hawk, or extremely close Nintendo ties like Mike Tyson would be the least objectionable ones for me. That being said, I still don't even want any of those characters. There's still far too many good video game characters and series who get no mentions for smash already that really should. We don't need to muddy the waters even more for a long time if ever.

Noms:
Bioshock Protagonist x 30

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
CHADKU

Chance:
100%
He's ****ing in.

Chance: 0.1%
Aight jokes aside Goku unfortunately doesn't have a chance at getting in. Sakurai has repeatedly said in multiple interviews that he and Iron Man are not getting in, which seems to kill the chances of fourth parties in general. A shame but it seems until the next Smash game we won't see a playable Goku.

Yeah, I want him in. Ironically enough despite originating as a manga, the Dragon Ball franchise has released a ton of games with a long history dating back to the 80s, which makes Goku more important to gaming history than some characters already in the roster, it's funny but that's how it is. I don't think Smash should be unrestricted with it's additions like MUGEN, but I do think franchises that didn't originate as games yet still released a ton of banger games should get a shot. It's the same case with Darth Vader from Star Wars, the Star Wars franchise has a ton of importance to video game history with how many high quality games of the series there are, with some being considered all time greats like Knights of the Old Republic.

I ****ing love Dragon Ball and Goku. If there is one character that can legit break the internet harder than Steve it's this character. EVERYONE knows who Goku is, even those who have never watched anime in their entire lives know who the character is! He's so god damn iconic that he was nominated to be the mascot of the Olympics at Japan before COVID messed everything up.

Goku has so much moveset potential that FighterZ has made like 10 different copies of him that are all unique and different, the character OOZES moveset potential, in fact I'd say he has too much moveset potential, it's impossible to put everything awesome he has in one moveset for Smash. You could go for a transformation gimmick where he can power up to different Super Saiyan forms. You can incorporate Ultra Instinct with how it's an auto dodge ggs ez form. He'd bring a lot to the table, of that I'm sure of.

Will we ever see Goku in Smash? Maybe, I'm not sure if I'm brutally honest. But if that day ever comes you just know that Smash has entered it's next stage of evolution.

Nominations: Beatrice x30

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Goku

I don't know how to give joke ratings, so I'll be the straight man today. To put it bluntly, the "video game characters only" rule is one of the few fan rules to be confirmed official (not counting honorary video game characters like R.O.B.). That alone kills Goku's chances for Smash. Plus, being a manga character, licensing him would be a legal nightmare. Seriously, if you think Square Enix is hard to work with, get a load of THIS mess.
I'm sorry, but I don't want one of the few rules we have getting broken. Smash is supposed to be about VIDEO GAMES ONLY, plain and simple. I like Dragon Ball as much as the next guy, but it does not belong here. Maybe if Bandai Namco made their own Smash-esque game, but not in actual Smash. Besides, can we at least keep this to honorary video game characters at least?

Nominations: Concept: Disgaea rep xMax

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Dunk All Gokus

DBFZ_Android16_FlyingPowerbomb2.png

I'm gonna follow the leader here and be realistic with this joke day, because what better joke is there than not making a joke about a joke? Anyway, Goku's not happening. It's just not in the cards. It's never been in the cards. The cards are being manufactured at a completely different warehouse 500 miles away. Smash is about the celebration of video games, and despite Dragon Ball getting so many video games it'd take you months to get through 'em all, Goku ain't a video game character.

As mentioned, Sakurai's explicitly namedropped him as someone who isn't getting in, ever. And while Sakurai's word hasn't exactly been golden before (as an example off the top of my head, he also once said Villager wouldn't get in because Animal Crossing isn't a game that lends itself well to fighting), I think we can trust him on this one.

Want: 80%

With that said, if Goku actually DID get in, you sure as hell wouldn't see me complaining. He would definitely be a fun character to play. We'd get all the complaints about how "SMASH WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT VIDEO GAMES!!!!" and all that jazz, but honestly I think people would end up enjoying Goku's presence in the game anyway.

His moveset could be cool, especially if they succeed where DBFZ failed and make Super Saiyan form some kind of install. Plus, Dragon Ball fights are all about zipping around and making use of the environment, so he works perfectly for a platform fighter.

Am I actively hoping for Goku to get in Smash? No, of course not. Would I be happy if it happened? Absolutely.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Carrot Cake
So Goku has a lot going for him, most of all popularity. Tell anyone in the western world to name a character from an anime, and most will probably mention Goku.
Manga, anime, merchandise, and games, Dragon Ball has them all, with Goku being the star in most of it.
As for the games, there's a plethora of them. The most recent game released in 2020, and there's plenty more all the way back to 1986, only two years after the first issue of the manga was released. So he has plenty of video game history.

But, there's a teeny tiny little problem with his inclusion:
He doesn't originate from a video game.
Which is unfortunate for him, as originating from a video game is basically the only hard rule of Smash inclusions. This has been restated by Sakurai as recently as 2019.
I won't rule him out for future Smash games, but for Ultimate he's without a doubt dead in the ground.

Want: 1%
I have a confession. I've never read or watched Dragon Ball. Brand me a heretic if you will, it just never caught my attention. However, I do respect its achievements, and know a decent amount about it from internet osmosis.
Not that this really matters, because I don't want a non-video game character, as it would "open the floodgates", as they say.
If we got one though, Goku wouldn't be a bad choice.

Predictions
2nd third party character: 17.8%

Nominations
Rallen x30

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Finally back... son of a Raditz, I got Yamcha'd.

Chance: What's there to say? 0%. At least as long as Sakurai's in charge, expecting Goku is a fool's errand. I don't really think there's much for me to add; he's one of the few characters the director has directly shot down himself. That pretty much says it all.

Want: ...I mean, I get "opening the floodgates" but in what world would Goku or SpongeBob be a worse choice than Blasto, Bubsy or Cid the Dummy? I mean, those are genuine bottom of the barrel but even more niche characters of notable quality like Plok still really don't have a reason to get in first. Granted, even I would give him a 35% as he's not the non-video game character I would want. That'd be SpongeBob, and even then it's still with an asterisk.

Of course, that assumes he has a game based moveset and not an anime based one, although there's enough overlap that I don't care. That's more relevant to SpongeBob, where how much I want him is directly proportional to how much of his moveset is game inspired and not toon inspired. I'd rather get every single other SEGA character ever made before Arle than get a show-based SpongeBob. But that's not really relevant to Goku, so I will say that there's no chance of him having a bad moveset. (Since there's no chance of him HAVING a moveset to begin with...)

Also no Budokai because it was plagiarized sucks. At least Tenkaichi music can get in.

Hey I have a question, what would you guys think of Goku in a Brawl mod or something? Is the idea of it officially happening just not as good to you because I think it'd be interesting seeing how he could work more than anything else.

No noms, because I've mostly drifted off. Also no predictions.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Of course, that assumes he has a game based moveset and not an anime based one, although there's enough overlap that I don't care. That's more relevant to SpongeBob, where how much I want him is directly proportional to how much of his moveset is game inspired and not toon inspired. I'd rather get every single other SEGA character ever made before Arle than get a show-based SpongeBob. But that's not really relevant to Goku, so I will say that there's no chance of him having a bad moveset. (Since there's no chance of him HAVING a moveset to begin with...)
Hang on, I'm curious about this. If you're at least kinda okay with a TV show character being added to Smash in the first place, then why the massive hesitation when it comes to the actual attacks being based on their video game or show appearances? Seems really specific to me so I was just wondering, plus I've never played a Dragon Ball or SpongeBob video game so maybe I'm missing something.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Ah, yes. The big meme himself.

AND THIS... IS... TO GO... EVEN FURTHER BEYOND!!!!

Chance: 0

I don't see Sakurai breaking his 'one rule' even if it is for one of the most influential anime characters of all time. Simply put: Smash is a celebration of gaming history and Sakurai's one consistent rule is that the characters he puts in have to originate in a video game. Goku fails this simple, fundamental criteria that Sakurai himself has EXPLICITLY stated, so he simply is not getting in during the Fighters Pass, and, as long as Sakurai is in charge of Smash, likely never will see any form of appearance in the series. The closest we'll get to that is Hero, who was originally drawn by the same guy (the legendary Akira Toriyama himself).

Want: 0.
Yep, I'm giving Goku double zeroes, for the primary reason that Smash is supposed to be a celebration of gaming history. Goku is not a video game character: he's a manga character first and foremost. Even ignoring the fact that he fundamentally has no place in a celebration of gaming, he also would be very difficult to balance while remaining faithful to the character, and he would open a set of floodgates that I'd really rather NOT have opened.

Noms: Reimu rerate x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alright let's try this out even if this website has been unreadable for me all day

The Monkey King, real name Carrot of the Veggie people

Chance: 80%
Of course Goku's going to happen are you ****ing stupid? He makes sense, for one he's iconic as ****, as we all know Smash only allows iconic characters everyone knows like Terry Bogard and the guy from Fire Emblem (the one with the weird hair, you know who I'm speaking of). Therefore if a character is iconic they're in, because as we all know there are only two iconic characters left to be added. That's why Sakurai keeps saying Ultimate is the last Smash ever[citation needed].

Speaking of what Sakurai said, we all remember when he said Goku isn't joining Smash. However y'all are fools because you didn't realize something: Sakurai can't be under NDA. He makes Smash. Why would he NDA himself. No, it's actually one of his galaxy brain ploys, like when he said there was only a few characters left then revealed 7 in the final Direct. He wants everyone to think Goku won't be in Smash so that everyone will be surprised when he is.

Other dumbasses will say **** about hard copyright. Bull ****ing crap I say. Who makes Dragon Ball? Toriyama, Toei, and Bandai Namco have the rights to the games. Toriyama is involved because of Dragon Quest, Bandai is involved because Sakurai owns those *******, so all it would take is Toei. It's literally just one party, how is that different from any other cereal mascot? It ain't.

Tldr Goku's as good as in, the only reason I'm not giving him a 100% is because I'm a cool original guy who plays by his own rules

Yeah double zeroes. Goku won't get in because Smash is about gaming and that's that. And the day a non-videogame character joins Smash, be that Goku or anyone, is the day I don't buy the new Smash game. A crossover without rules is meaningless to me, at that point it might as well be MUGEN.

Noms: Todd Mother****ing Snap x30

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
EL CIELO RESPLANDECE A MI ALREDEDOR.

He doesn't come from a video game, not eligible.

Please no. Look, i like Goku and DB as much as the next guy (im more of a OG DB person, i miss when Yamcha was useful, when the show was about martial artists and wacky comedy adventures over DBZ's more "dramatic" storylines, plus super forms and the escalation turned tired really fast) since im from Latin America and is required by law that i like DBZ in some form or fashoin (otherwise you will be rightly humiliated, expelled, and executed in a span of 3 days) and i enjoy the franchise despite its many, many flaws.

But i don't want Goku, or any non gaming characters in Smash. I don't want Rocky Balboa, Pegasus Seiya, Spongebob Squarepants and Spider Man duking it out with Mario and friends. I believe Smash should be about Video Game characters only, and specifically Nintendo for the most part. I have talked about before how by putting characters like Goku, they point of Smash becomes meaningless and without a theme.

Smash IS about Nintendo, and while we have gotten Non-Nintendo stuff, they have been from video games, keeping with the theme of Smash by expanding it (even if i feel Smash shouldn't have focused its DLC on mostly Guest characters) to add Goku is to basically open the floodgates to any random-ass character that you can think of, and if my thoughts on certain third party parameters are any indication, you can guess that this is the LAST thing i want.

Im kinda worried that people are slowly, and unironically starting to support Goku, bleugh. I guess you could say that about many other characters in Smash, but at least those are well........game characters.

Any other game i rated would be better here, by virtue of being a game character. Kos-Mos, Reimu, Bubsy, ****ing Sylux, i would unironically want any of them before any non-game character in Smash. I would rather have all Third Parties disappear from Smash forever before Goku could be even considered for the Smash roster, i would rather have the Smash series end. IM DEAD ****ING SERIOUS.

Also Goku is not gonna be voiced by Mario Castañeda so what is the point?

(i know we are rating this for April Fools, i just wanted to get this out of my stomach)

Noms:

Gunvolt X5.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Kakarot
I don't really see the point in us rating this, especially since Goku is already in the game, along with Super Saiyan Goku, SSGSS Goku, Goku Black, GT Goku, Ultra Instinct Goku, SS4 Gogeta, SSGSS Gogeta, and Vegito. What else could they possibly add?
Wait, we're still talking abput Smash and not FighterZ? Let me correct myself then.

REAL Chance: 0.01%
Sakurai has said on multiple occasions the non-videogame characters aren't happening. So unfortunately that rules out Goku. But then again, when has Sakurai ever been right about anything? He said many times that Ridley would be a stupid idea, and guess who's now in Smash? That's right, Ridley, and that's why I can't give Goku a 0.

Want: 65%
I mean, Goku in Smash would be the awesomest thing to ever happen, but you know who would be even better? Vegeta. Goku is a big dumb loser compared to the cool epicness that is Vegeta. Though either way we'd get Dragon Ball music in Smash out of it, so I coudn't be too mad.
But really if we're gonna get any "fourth party" character, there's one that rules above all the rest. I am of course talking about SpongeBob SquarePants.

Concept: "Basically Master Chief" prediction: 15%
Noms: Senator Armstrong x30 (or whatever the max is without using my bonus noms)

Yiptap

Smash Lord
The 1 most wanted Smash candidate

I mean, what can I say that hasn't been said? Goku is not from a video game, and Sakurai probably wouldn't break his own rule with Goku of all people.

Want: 50%
On one hand, Smash Bros is for video games characters and video game characters only. On the other hand, Goku. Most of my want for Goku is ironic, but there is a small portion of me who would be hyped af to see Goku in smash, and this is coming from someone who has very little experience with anime. It would be epic to see, although it would be just as hilarious to see Naruto, Deku, or Jotaro Kujo to get the Smash invitation.

Noms: Meat Boy x Max

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I know this is kinda offtopic but I have a criticism about the rating system. I love the idea that doing a good writeup lets you get more noms as it livens discussion due to inherently making people have to go into detail and also lets more characters get nominated at a time meaning more characters get discussed over time, but after seeing TCT nominate Rean, I realized there's an issue I have, if you do a big writeup for chance, you don't get any extra noms because you abstained on want score. I realized this with Rean specifically as there's no way I'll beat the Crossbell games and a Cold Steel game by the time we rate Rean and I can make a good writeup on his chances but want to experience the character for myself. As for how to fix this if I'm not just being overly petty, idk, maybe make it so you get +5 noms for each section you do a writeup on?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I know this is kinda offtopic but I have a criticism about the rating system. I love the idea that doing a good writeup lets you get more noms as it livens discussion due to inherently making people have to go into detail and also lets more characters get nominated at a time meaning more characters get discussed over time, but after seeing TCT nominate Rean, I realized there's an issue I have, if you do a big writeup for chance, you don't get any extra noms because you abstained on want score. I realized this with Rean specifically as there's no way I'll beat the Crossbell games and a Cold Steel game by the time we rate Rean and I can make a good writeup on his chances but want to experience the character for myself. As for how to fix this if I'm not just being overly petty, idk, maybe make it so you get +5 noms for each section you do a writeup on?
You can get 10 noms even if you abstain on one section, in fact you only need to write 5 sentences to do so.

Even if you, say, do a big writeup on chance and just give a want score with no reasoning, as long as the sentence count is reached you're eligible for the 10 noms.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You can get 10 noms even if you abstain on one section, in fact you only need to write 5 sentences to do so.

Even if you, say, do a big writeup on chance and just give a want score with no reasoning, as long as the sentence count is reached you're eligible for the 10 noms.
Ok, probably read it wrong when it was introduced then, thanks for the correction

Top Bottom