• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Abstain, I don't know how to rate this.

Nominations

Cynthia x5

Predictions

Neptune: 7.2%

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Jill Stingray (Mii Costume)

Chance: 10%. So, I started to nominate this concept back during the days of Sans and Cuphead, when indie Mii Costumes seemed to be a focus... then Min Min didn't have any indies come with her and Steve had Travis, but Travis is more just an independently-owned character then he is an "indie character" in the cultural sense of that term (even though Travis Strikes Again did have 55 indie games cameo as t-shirts, which, yes, did include VA-11 HALL-A). So, with only 4 slots left and therefore likely only ~24 Mii Costumes coming down the line... odds of this has gone down somewhat, but there's a case to be made.

Anyway... What's a VA-11 HALL-A? Well, it's what the full title implies: VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action is a cyberpunk bartending game (the "action" in the title is ironic, as the actual gameplay refers to mixing and serving drinks, so it's really just a visual novel with puzzle elements if you need to assign it a classification like that). We've got our usual artsy indie game trappings here: very specific genre/concept, character-driven storytelling with focus on ordinary non-heroes, and a queer-heavy cast. It launched in 2016, received a lot of critical praise pre-and-post launch. It got a bunch of console ports (including the Switch), some physical releases, and did unexpectedly well for itself - though sales data is hard to find. It's since inspired a few games in similar vein, notably the non-alcoholic game Coffee Talk, which launched earlier this year (if that sounds vaguely familiar to you, it was in a couple different nindie showcases).

VA-11 HALL-A especially found a pretty solid audience in East Asia, especially after some mobile game collabs over there, with its upcoming sequel (N1RV ANN-A) being demoed in Japanese at the Tokyo Game Show prior to it was ever shown in English. It also has gotten a lot of bar and cafe collabs in Akihabara, which normally wouldn't be saying much - a lot of Japanese games and anime get local cafe collabs - but it is slightly less common for Venezuelan IPs to get them.

So... where's this leave us for Smash Bros? Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It leaves us somewhere, I guess. If they particularly wanted to represent these sorts of very-specific-genre indie games, then I think VA-11 HALL-A probably has a healthy enough worldwide community (plus a known future as a franchise) that could raise it above competitors in that niche. That said, there's no shortage of more mainstream indie games that they could represent instead that also did well around the world.

It also just kind of depends on how they handle Mii Costumes going forward. The fact Sakurai basically apologized for 3/6 of Steve’s Mii Costumes coming from MineCraft makes me think that they will be trying to maximize potential collabs in the costumes, but who knows what that would mean for characters like Jill. It could be good for her – maybe they choose to highlight smaller games that are successful relative to their genres or to highlight indie games in particular – or it could be bad – Mii Costumes going forward could all be of the sizes that you’d expect for a Smash fighter, with some really shocking upsets about who gets Costumed (I mean, we’ve arguably been going in that direction for a while, but it's just usually big characters that people didn't realistically anticipate). Or it’s possible that they’ll have just a tonne of Mii Costumes backloaded at the end because “We’re sorry we couldn’t put literally everything in Smash Bros, here’s some costumes.” Who knows!

I also don't know how Smash needing to be for good boys and girls would work with a bartender who serves alcohol to robotic sex workers, low-key-knockoffs of Jim Sterling personas, and the Shiba equivalents of Solid Snake and Big Boss would work... I assume it’d be fine because she wouldn’t be serving booze in Smash, but who knows.

Want: 100%. I'd like to get more indies in Smash in minor roles! Jill strikes me as a really good choice for that, as she’s from a unique and interesting game that had a very natural rise to semi-fame with its audience. Just kind of a standard indie game success story: a team of three people made a game for a Game Jam; they liked making it; they made a full version; they demoed it at various shows; they released it; people enjoyed it; and now they have physical bar events in Japan. No Kickstarter or anything; they clearly expected this game to be niche and, like, it is niche, but it’s not nearly as niche as they evidently were expecting it to be. And I think that’s cool!

Oh, also I subjectively like the game and Jill herself is a great protagonist – she’s definitely a (depressingly rare) example of making the actual protagonist of a visual novel be the fan-favourite character. She's relatable, has good one-liners, and is generally fun. Also the music is very good.

Noms: Monika Mii Costume x 5 and Fortnite Character x5
Predictions: The Sega Genssis, but human gets a 12% from me.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Chance: 30% VA11 Hall-A got decently popular and i've seen crazier things happen, but It probably won't

Want: 100% God I loved that game and if you haven't played it, it is super chill but yeah, As much as I want it to happen it most likely won't

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Some VA-11 HALL-A music for today:

-----

Mii Costume: Jill Stingray

Chance: 2%
VA-11 HALL-A apparently got a decent amount of promotion in Japan so it could be on Nintendo's radar. There was even a special promotion where fans could make some of the in-game drinks at two real world bars for whatever that's worth. It could possibly be considered for a costume though I feel like Nintendo has their eyes on more notable indie games at the moment. Jill just doesn't seem nearly as recognizable as other indie characters like Sans and Cuphead which I feel will have priority when it comes to indie costumes. After those two we still have other big indies like Hollow Knight, Cave Story, Shovel Knight, and Touhou that would probably get first dibs when it comes to costumes. Jill being a fairly basic looking character that can't really be Deluxe'd compared to say Shovel Knight or Hollow Knight might not give Nintendo much of a reason to add her over those types of indies.

Want: 35%
I have yet to play VA-11 HALL-A so like with Hades my score would probably be higher if I had played it. While I have a good feeling that I'd really enjoy the game, I'm not so keen on the idea of a Jill Mii Costume. After getting a ton of cool costumes like Sans and Bomberman, Jill doesn't really strike me as really hype one like those characters. Her design is relatively basic and at best my reaction to a costume would probably be "hey that's neat" instead of "WOAH" like with Cuphead. Also when it comes to indie characters getting Mii Costumes I have a few other ones I'd like to see first like Hat Kid and Quote if he can't make it in as a character. Granted her outfit is pretty nice and her wig could make for some nice Mii creations, so in the end a Jill costume is something that I'd be okay with but not too excited for.

-----

Neptune chance prediction: 7.85%

Nominations:
Concept: Fortnite Character x10

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Smoking is bad for your health

10% Chance

Hey, Mii Costumes are relatively small, and I could see us get something in between waves due to the length of time this has gone, akin to Smash 4. So naturally, I am not as set in the thought of ~24 Mii Costumes. That being said, this is an uphill battle. The indie competition is fierce for just a Mii costume. While right now my gut says at least Shovel Knight and the Knight from Hollow Knight will get one, everything else is a wild card. But there are so many franchises out there that could theoretically have a Mii costume, especially indies, it makes this hard. I do really like that this was nominated though, as Mii costumes just do not get talked about enough.

100% Want

If we do not get Every Day is Night in Smash, we riot.

But for real, Va 11 Ha 11 a is great. It has a cute aesthetic without feeling degenerate. The characters are great. The soundtrack is great, as you can tell. The writing is great. The game is a knock out, give it a try. Now, usually I am more reserved with my characters, but even as a character I would likely give Jill decent marks. But for something as simple as a Mii costume? Sign me up.

Coco as Crash's Echo/Costume x 10

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Jill Stingray

abstain (I'm going to abstain a lot this week). Once again I don't have the time to do research.

Prediction: Neptune - 5%

Noms: Vectorman x5

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Jill Stingray:

10% Chance: I know Smash Bros does do a lot of Mii Costumes based on Indie games so she might be on Nintendo's radar. That being said, we don't know if Sakurai has considered her yet.

100% Want: VA-LL HALL-A is one of my favorite Indie games ever. Seeing as Cuphead, another favorite got representation it would be awesome to see VA-LL HALL-A be in Smash in any way, shape, or form.

Nomination: Raizing shmup rep x5

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Jill Stingray Mii Costume

Chance: 10%. Her being a Mii Costume is more likely to appear, as with multiple over fighters. Her chance of being a normal fighter is a similar stance as well. Plus we have seen surprising choices for Mii Costumes before.

Want: 50%. She would be a decent choice for a Mii Costume and she would be just as fun as the other Mii Costumes. Meanwhile as a playable fighter, she would fun as well. But since I don’t know much about that franchise, I think she would be a decent choice for a Mii Costume.

Prediction: Neptune (5%)

Noms: 5 for Boss: Ender Dragon

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Jiil Stiingray

I'm gonna abstain. I don't know where to place the odds of this happening. It's an indie, and we've had indies get costumes before. I'd expect some bigger indies to get the nods first, but I imagine Vall... Va11-H4... This game could also qualify. It got a sequel so it must have done well, right? And I remember seeing some advertising for it on Nintendo's Youtube so, uh, that's something. As for want, I don't have any standards for what should and shouldn't get a Mii Costume. I don't even buy them unless they come with music. But it looks like some people would be pleased to have her, so why not?

Scorpion noms x10
Predict neptune uhhh 8.74%

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Jill Mii
Chance: 10%
I'd say her biggest hurdle is that she has to deal with other indies that could be getting Mii Costumes: Shovel Knight, The Knight, Quote, you name it. That being said, this game is quite beloved and it did alright, especially for an indie, as Jill and other VA11-HALL-A characters have crossovered into other things. From how I see it what helps her the most despite not being as big as the aforementioned possible indies is that the game is already on Nintendo, and it got its fair share of promotion there as well. So yeah, mixing all these points together, I think it definitely is in the realm of possibility, especially for something like a Mii Costume.

Want: 80%
Would be pretty nice, I tried VA11-HALL-A on a whim and enjoyed my time with it. It's also pretty funny to imagine Jill fighting other characters in a game like Smash. Perhaps Dorothy would be more fitting in that sense? Well, Jill's the protagonist anyways. The simple option would be making her a brawler but I wonder if they could give her some cups as "weapons". What I'd definitely hope the most for though is for the Mii to get a music track like ones before. The game's OST is great and even if it's generally on the slower side, there's some tracks that aren't. Or they could simply do a remix of one of the slow tracks. Either way music or no music I'd like it.

Noms: Worms x10
Nep prediction: 7%. I wonder how it'll go.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Impa (Age of Calamity) x195
Alex Mason x190
Concept: Coco as Crash's Echo/Costume x170
Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x155
[Rerate] Frisk x150
Red (Angry Birds) x125
[Rerate] Chibi-Robo x125
Miriam x125
[Rerate] Maxwell x125

150 - 101

D.Va x115
Hajime Hinata x110
[Rerate] The Knight x105
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x104

100 - 51

Zero (Mega Man) x95
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x93
Boss: Ender Dragon x88
Riptor x85
[Rerate] Arle Nadja x85
Don-chan x85
Stage: Bowser's Castle x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Cynthia (Pokémon) x80
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) x80
Fulgore x79
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x70
Boss: Rayquaza x70
Giygas x65
Carl Johnson x65
Concept: Fortnite character x65
Concept: The remaining SSB4 DLC Mii Costumes return (or get the deluxe treatment) x60
Echo (Olimar) x56
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
[Rerate] Monokuma x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Magolor x55
John Marston x55
Jin Sakai x55
Ghirahim x55

50 - 25

T-Rex Runner x45
Crazy Dave x40
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x30
Qbby x30
Tetra x25
Ryza (Atelier) x25

Under 25

Echo (Bowser) x20
Yarn Yoshi x15
Concept: A Challenger Pack with 2 Fighters x15
Billy & Jimmy Lee x15
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x15
Concept: A 4X strategy rep x15
Mii Costume: Monika x15
Beat (Jet Set Radio) x10
Tetris x10
Worms x10
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
Stage: Tetris x5
[Rerate] Agumon x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
[Rerate] Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x5
Vectorman x5

Impa warps past Alex Mason and captures first place. Chibi-Robo and Miriam drag Red into their tie, and Maxwell joins the fray with all four now vying for fifth place.

Hajime Hinata and The Knight collect over 100 noms.

Qbby squares past 25 noms.

Joining the list today are Worms, with 10 noms, and Vectorman, with 5.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Give me a drink, bartender

Chance: 10%. I'm lenient when it comes to Mii Costumes, and that's why I won't give Jill a 0%, but I'm not actually that sure on her. VA-11 HA-11A apparently did well, even though prior to this day I was unfamiliar with it, and it looks like it could be a pick. But, there's a... near infinite amount of Mii Costumes even if we exclude the four (plus) next fighters. So I can't say it's guaranteed to happen. Plus, from a cursory viewpoint, it's hard to say what kind of Mii Costume Ms. Stingray could have. From what I am aware, the game is about bartending with an NPC interaction bent. That doesn't really lend itself to Swordfighter... Gunner? Brawler? A hat? I can't really say for sure whether any of these make particular sense.

Want: Abstain. I do not know enough about the game to fairly rate her want. Although, since she'd be a Mii Costume, the worst is that she'd replace a character I'd prefer to be a Mii. That's more than fine by me, especially since at best we have 24 Mii slots left (at worst, 16) vs. four Challenger Packs. I've been given a glimpse of a game I'd probably really enjoy, though. I'll give it a checking out someday. Perhaps in a few months?

Frisk x 5. If I qualify, Red x 5. Well if they're in the top 7 I might as well get them over with. I got them that high to just drop them?

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Abstain
I plan to try this at some point and don't want to spoil myself.

Predict Neptunia: 2%

Nominations
Beat x5

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Jill Mii costume

Chance - 0.5% - Va11-Ha11-A is a C-tier-ish even among indie titles, getting the occasional refence but not a major star or anything, at least in my eyes. She's also comes from Venezuela, which is... fairly far removed from anything that could be considered in the main game development spheres. Add on to that that she's a Bartender with no combat mechanics whatsoever, and you have a problem on how to get her a costume. The only think I can think of would be to use bear mugs as makeshift weapons, but that might require an alcohol content warning, so I don't see that happening.

Want - 50% - I don't buy mii-costumes. I don't enough about them, so I won't care here.

Nominations

Arle Nadja X5

amageish

Smash Master
Personally, I was inspired to nom this concept after seeing art (that I cannot re-find, sadly) of a Jill costume holding a mixer; howeever, that's addmittedly very Sm4sh-style. DLC Costumes this game have tended to have slightly more logical weapons then the days of KK's guitar-gun...

She's also comes from Venezuela, which is... fairly far removed from anything that could be considered in the main game development spheres.
Probably doesn't change your rating too much, but it's worth noting that the team is majority Venezuelan but none of them physically located in Venezuela anymore... The story of why they aren't physically located in Venezuela isn't a happy one, but the writer/programmer now lives in Japan.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Personally, I was inspired to nom this concept after seeing art (that I cannot re-find, sadly) of a Jill costume holding a mixer; howeever, that's addmittedly very Sm4sh-style. DLC Costumes this game have tended to have slightly more logical weapons then the days of KK's guitar-gun...

Probably doesn't change your rating too much, but it's worth noting that the team is majority Venezuelan but none of them physically located in Venezuela anymore... The story of why they aren't physically located in Venezuela isn't a happy one, but the writer/programmer now lives in Japan.
Don't forget that Cuphead is a Canadian IP and they were able to get a Mii Costume and music track into Smash. So it shouldn't be too hard to get some Va-ll Hall-a representation into Smash Ultimate.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Neptune from Hyperdimension Neptunia.

Predict Concept: A Bravely Default Character.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the Hyperdimension Neptunia mood:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Neptune

Chance: 0%

Like DrifloonEmpire had similar experience with Touhou as I did with Neptunia franchise. I used to have be in this fandom, but not anymore... at least not deeply.

Neptunia is a series known for cute moe girls and gaming parody. You can see plenty of reference to gaming as whole. For a niche franchise, it has quite a lot of presence in internet. You can bump into many people with Neptunia images or icons. It has kinda dedicated fanbase. But, that’s all that’s left of Neptune’s merits. At the end of the day, Neptunia is still a niche series. When a series like Atelier boasted passing 500k sales but this series hasn’t, you can see the problem.

While the sales is not an absolute measure, it’s still pretty significant factor… especially for third party. Nintendo would want popular and famous third party character to boost FP sales, but Neptunia fails to achieve any criteria.

Legacy? It’s just a dime in a dozen of JRPGs. It’s only unique factors are theme of gaming parody and moe girls with unique designs. The first game was infamous for its horrible gameplay, only saved by unique world, characters and theme of gaming parody. It’s a long running niche series like Atelier, but Atelier managed to break into bit more mainstream. Neptunia never contributed to anything to gaming to leave any legacy. It’s not like Fatal Fury which influenced Sakurai or overall fighting games. It’s definitely far away from Dragon’s Quest which defined JRPG.

Fan-demand? Virtually non-existent. I was the only one nominating her, and none of supporters from her thread ever showed up. For all the flak Reimu gets, she at least has quite many vocal supporters in internet. Neptune has none of that. Neptunia has none of advantages Touhou claims, let alone Banjo.

Critical acclaim? Most of entries in the series have been poor to mediocre. Even Neptunia VII which is considered best in the series is generally rated decent at best. Neptunia can’t claim advantage of Persona 5.

Relationship with Nintendo? There is hardly any. Sure. Compile Heart released Super Neptunia RPG and Megadimension Neptunia VII on Switch which can be said more than Persona 5 which isn’t still on Switch, but they are piss poor ports. They couldn’t bother to optimize properly when there are games that are way more demanding hardware wise than those two games. For the record, most of Neptunia titles stayed on Playstation and PC. Even if you bring Snake, Cloud and Joker, their parent companies have had good relationship with Nintendo. CH just ported those two games recently but with half-assed effort. So, I don’t see how that spells for good relationship. And most recent announcement which is “PS5Sep 16, 202090Go! Go! 5 Jigen Game Neptune: re★Verse” is bloody PS5 exclusive. Yet, it’s just remaster of already remaster of Rebirth 1 which is already remaster of the first game. If you look at graphic, you wonder why they didn’t bother to include Switch version. If Compile Heart had solid relationship with Nintendo, this should be also released on Switch.

Want: 0%

My score used to be higher, but my sour experience with fanbase especially with that announcement ruined my feeling toward Neptune and her franchise. I’m an avid Vert fan myself as I’ve been a Xbox player. (Irony is that the series never came to Xbox) I hate how the fanbase ****s on her. In term of moveset, Neptune isn’t interesting. She will be labeled as another anime swordman that steals precious slot. I understand that supporters of certain characters like Isaac and Lloyd are sick of this argument, but if she replaced your dear Issac or Lloyd, would you keep the same mindset? Sword is covered so much that it’s hard to justify another sword character that doesn’t stand out enough. I guess her unique aesthetic is her strong point, but that’s her only saving grace imo. There is HDD as transformation mechanic… but we kinda have that with Joker. And I would rather have Agumon cover that with digivolution.

I can safely use “deserving” argument here. Neptune doesn’t deserve to be in Smash. At least not in form of playable character. Hell, she should be grateful for even Mii costume… when someone like Heihachi got Mii again. There are tons of characters who deserve slots far more than her: Master Chief, Lara Croft, Crash, Agumon, Arle, Dante, Phoenix Write, so many more… It would be insult to those characters and their supporters if she takes up the precious spot. I don’t want to reward Compile Heart that keeps milking this franchise with spin-offs and remakes. They are totally out of touch with their fans. The fact that they hyped up the most recent title but only to reveal as another remake in 10th anniversary of this franchise just makes me oppose Neptune every chance I get. Neptune doesn’t deserve to be in Smash. She doesn’t have enough moveset to set her apart from other swordmen. She won’t bring any new gimmick. Her series is not something for celebration of gaming. I don’t want Compile Heart to be rewarded when they have done ****ty job on Neptunia.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Neptune

Chance 0 - Oh boy, where to start with this one. Been trying to hand out less 0s lately but this character deserves it. Most of the games haven't been well received, with a few of them posting review scores around the same level as Fallout 76 and WWE 2k20. Only 1 game was on Nintendo consoles as well which makes me feel like Nintendo wouldn't really want to pick the series for a spot. Also, the series didn't leave Japan until 2018 and while thats better than what non localized series have, it hasn't gained much popularity in the west yet. Don't see any real chance here

Want 0 - Yeah, I'd rather have Reimu here and I really don't want Reimu. The series doesn't appear to be either popular or good, which is basically a killer for the most part when it comes to me being interested in seeing you in Smash. I don't even see a remote case as to why this character should get into the game, which is impressive since I usually try and dig up something to keep from handing out 0s in chance.

Predictions
BD rep - 15.32%

Noms:
No Internet TRex x10

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
one day im gonna google who these characters i dont know are

probably not

abstain nominate chibi-robo x5

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Nep Nep

Chance: 1%

Could it happen? Yes, though she is very unlikely and not realisticly part of it, or even one of the 3 next Sega character getting in Smash, with her having Kiryu, Arle Nadja, Sakura Shinguji, and an SMT rep as competition for being the next Sega rep, if there is even one in the pass. Furthermore, there's also how she could be seen as too lewd as Purple Heart (I mean, just look at her outfit. Clevage, bare legs, oh my, how lewd(yes, ,all of this was just to reference that legendary scene), though I'd say that it would be easy to cover her enough for the CERO, and I don't think that the developers of Hyperdimension Neptunia would be against it, even if the series is very fanservicy, even if not more than say, Bayonneta, who is a very good comparaison considering that both characters are owned by Sega. However, a big difference between Bayo and Nep Nep is that Bayonneta's games from 2 and onward (at least eventualy) are Nintendo exclusives as they fund her series, so that's something where they cannot be compared. And she's also extremly niche, with her being more prominant on the PSVita, a failed handheld, even if weebs such as me still gave it a small playerbase with it's anime styled games, it's still not much, and most weebs didn't even had it, making her even more unlikely (even if she got 1 game on Switch). However, I gotta give her that she has a dedicated fanbase (even if they don't have a Smash campaign to put her in Smash unlike say, Shantae) and she's also pretty popular as a character, even if that comes more from the anime adaptation than the games themselves. So yeah, she's not a realistic choice at all, even if she's still a very small posibility.

Want: 75%

Did the fact that I called her Nep Nep gave away the fact that I like her a lot? If no, then did me directly referencing the "oh my, how lewd" scene gave it away? And if still not, then I guess that this does, since I directly said that I liked. Yeah, I like Nep Nep and her series a lot, it's just a very fun albeit niche series that works extremly well as an anime. She could also be extremly fun to play, but more importantly, the Smash team could make her so full of personality, which is one of her bigest strength, which I would like a lot, even if I know very well that she's nowhere near being a second tier smash pick from Sega and that she has no realistic chance.

Nominations

Cynthia x10

Predictions

Bravely Default rep: 21.4%

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
EEEEEEEHHH?!?!
Double zeroes
The Hyperdimension Neptunia franchise is known for parodying the console market, its moe aspect and not much else... Kinda feels like a big ****post honestly. It has a fair amount of games to its name but they're not really talked about often. And when they do, they are usually regarded as pretty low quality. (the wikipedia page even has the reception article totally blank funnily enough) With the exception of one spin-off, the series has basically no affiliation with Nintendo either and this is no Persona we're talking about Persona has kinda broken into the mainstream, Neptunia hasn't. Neptune would mostly appeal to a certain kind of demographic I don't think Nintendo really pays attention to. Even if we have to get a moe character, Reimu or Ryza would make much more sense. I don't really see Nintendo touching this franchise with a 10 feet pole. Anyhow, this franchise doesn't appeal to me at all and I will never play it. Neptune would just be a waste of a slot in my eyes.

Bravely rep: 23.15%
The Knight x10

amageish

Smash Master
Yes, though she is very unlikely and not realisticly part of it, or even one of the 3 next Sega character getting in Smash, with her having Kiryu, Arle Nadja, Sakura Shinguji, and an SMT rep as competition for being the next Sega rep, if there is even one in the pass.
FYI, Neptune isn't actually owned by SEGA... even though that would make sense if she was... She's the anime girl equivalent of SEGA, but she isn't owned by them. She is co-owned by the people who originally owned Puyo Puyo before it became a SEGA IP though, so that's... something.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Impa (Age of Calamity) x200
Alex Mason x190
Concept: Coco as Crash's Echo/Costume x180
Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x155
[Rerate] Frisk x155
Red (Angry Birds) x130
[Rerate] Chibi-Robo x130
Miriam x130

150 - 101

[Rerate] Maxwell x125
D.Va x115
Hajime Hinata x115
[Rerate] The Knight x110
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x104

100 - 51

Zero (Mega Man) x95
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x93
Boss: Ender Dragon x93
[Rerate] Arle Nadja x90
Don-chan x90
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) x90
Riptor x85
Cynthia (Pokémon) x85
Stage: Bowser's Castle x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Concept: Fortnite character x80
Fulgore x79
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x70
Boss: Rayquaza x70
Giygas x65
Carl Johnson x65
Concept: The remaining SSB4 DLC Mii Costumes return (or get the deluxe treatment) x60
Echo (Olimar) x56
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
[Rerate] Monokuma x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Magolor x55
John Marston x55
Jin Sakai x55
Ghirahim x55

50 - 25

T-Rex Runner x50
Crazy Dave x45
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x30
Qbby x30
Tetra x25
Ryza (Atelier) x25
Echo (Bowser) x25

Under 25

Concept: A 4X strategy rep x20
Mii Costume: Monika x20
Worms x20
Yarn Yoshi x15
Concept: A Challenger Pack with 2 Fighters x15
Billy & Jimmy Lee x15
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x15
Beat (Jet Set Radio) x15
Tetris x10
Vectorman x10
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
Stage: Tetris x5
[Rerate] Agumon x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
[Rerate] Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5

Frisk rises to tie with A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief for fourth place. Maxwell's tenure in the top seven was short-lived, and he gets taken out as Red, Chibi-Robo and Miriam carry on their battle for sixth place.

Echo (Bowser) claws its way out of the under 25 group.

A new concept appears: Raizing shmup rep, with 5 noms.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Neptune

Abstain. I still have company over and don't have time. I'm hoping to start actually rating again tomorrow.

Prediction: bravely default character - 23%

Noms:Vectorman x5

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Chance: 35% I've seen weirder characters speculated about and Compile Heart is a company that has nothing in smash afaik and their games tend to do decently.

Want: 75% I love the Neptunia games and would be happy to have her but at this time the most I could see her in is as a mii costume.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hypertension Ammonia

Chance: 5%
Hyperdimension Neptunia isn't a particularly successful franchise, regularly selling what the budget requires but not much else. It's isn't very well regarded either, regularly getting mediocre-to-bad reviews from critics. Hell, there seems to be a self-awareness to that quality, as every Neptunia fan I met has confessed that the games themselves aren't good. I will give it points for being somewhat better known than its sales and niche appeal would imply, as I think a good amount of gamers might know about Neptune and the games solely because of the gaming-focused plot and setting. And the history theme could maybe appeal to Sakurai? But aside from that, this isn't a franchise that has any reason to get in. It's not iconic, or influential, or just plain good, and with minimal presence on Nintendo, both for it and for Compile Heart, it's looking pretty rough.

Want: 10%
I'll be the first one to tell you that a game doesn't need to be good to be considered a classic, but still, a classic this ain't. I can't see what claim to fame this franchise could have. It's not even infamously bad, just in that level of quality where people who want to look at moe girls in a game can do so without being deterred or distracted by awful or great game design. I gave her some points because I think many would at least recognize the character, and that's something. I have no animosity towards Hyperdimension Neptunia - for one, the games appear to be made with awareness of what they are - so in, say, Smash 10 or whatever, sure, let's have her. But right now, to give priority to Neptune would be off, imo.

noms: Scorpion x10
Bravely prediction: 17.82%

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Neptune

Chance: 5%. That franchise’s chance of getting in is quite slim, especially compared to many others. With that said, we have been surprised by the fighter choices before who knows who will appear next.

Want: 50%. I don’t know too much about that franchise, but I do think Neptune I’ll be fun to play as. Overall, that franchise would be a decent idea and Neptune would make a decent Smash bros Rep.

Prediction: Bravely Default Rep (10%)

Noms: 5 for Boss: Rayquaza

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Character named after cancelled Sega console.

I gotta beat Super Casltevania 4 for Halloween Night so let's make this quick.

Chance: 1%

Formality at this point. VG character...........that's it.

It's an extremely niche franchise whose only real gimmick is beign Console Wars as anime girls. The games themselves aren't that popular or recognizable nor acclaimed for that matter. It's the biggest example of "Niche Weeb ****" that i can find. At least Sakura Wars is mainstream in Japan to an extent, but this franchise is niche even by their standards, and the only ones that care are the REAAAAAAALLLY hardcore who make this franchise look far more popular than it ACTUALLY is.

There's barely any interest or demand for this character and franchise in Smash, and for every Joker and Terry you throw t me to say "A CHARACTER DOESN'T NEED TO BE PART OF THE SMASH BUBBLE", keep in mind the likes of Persona got FAR more traction than Neptunia has ever had since P4 and SNK just has bad luck with American audiences but is popular everywhere else (similar to Tintin, Saint Seiya, and Football or Soccer as some call it)

Neptunia or Complie heart don't seem to be interested in pushing this franchise as hard as SNK wanted to push themselves.

I really can't say much here because the post i quoted below took the words right out of my mouth.......again. I will say one thing, it makes me believe i was a liiiiitle too harsh on Sakura and Western Reps to an extent. It's one thing to be popular in one region but unpopular in other parts, but this franchise for all intents and purposes is so damn niche it can't even hold that big of an audience in Japan where they would usually eat this up, it's like trying to rate a 1st person shooter rep whose game couldn't sell over a million copies in the US.

Not a chance aside of my token 1%.

No.

This is the type of **** i don't want in Smash. I may not be fan of "moe ****" in general, but i can respect franchises like Puyo Puyo and Touhou for their historical value, this is bargain bin Moe **** to its core. It's a trend that has popped off since the late 2000's and Has. Refused. To. ****ing. Die. I hate Kantai Collection, i hate Azur Lane, i hate all this Moe **** Waifu low tier trash that has become synonymous with modern Anime and Japanese media tropes, as much as the Bald Space Marines and Gritty realism and Edgy Live Action stuff that American media got in that same period, but at least that one died off for the most part.

..................i apologize if i sound like an hypocrite due to my Profile Pic, let it be known that i see this Homogenized Moe anime girl and modern anime as Modern "Cal-Arts" cartoons and other Modern American Animation trends.

I know people don't like to use "MUH DESERVING" **** in Smash, and i know i sound like an hypocrite when i welcome the likes of Vi from Bug Fables and Sophia from Blaster Master, but at least those characters are interesting in concept, and their games are well.....................well received and popular.

It pisses me off people pass on Dixie, Bandanna Dee and other Nintendo characters calling them not interesing and ****, and then we rate stuff like this.

And no just because i hate "Moe ****" doesn't mean i hate Moe characters or Moe in general. I love Maria Renard in Rondo of Blood for beign basically the greatest Easy Mode Mockery ever, and Card Captor Sakura holds a special place in my heart (despite its notorious flaws). Just because i love SOME doesn't mean i like ALL, unless you want to tell me you automatically love Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon just because you liked the original Ren and Stimpy. See where im going?

Neptune

Chance: 0%

Like DrifloonEmpire had similar experience with Touhou as I did with Neptunia franchise. I used to have be in this fandom, but not anymore... at least not deeply.

Neptunia is a series known for cute moe girls and gaming parody. You can see plenty of reference to gaming as whole. For a niche franchise, it has quite a lot of presence in internet. You can bump into many people with Neptunia images or icons. It has kinda dedicated fanbase. But, that’s all that’s left of Neptune’s merits. At the end of the day, Neptunia is still a niche series. When a series like Atelier boasted passing 500k sales but this series hasn’t, you can see the problem.

While the sales is not an absolute measure, it’s still pretty significant factor… especially for third party. Nintendo would want popular and famous third party character to boost FP sales, but Neptunia fails to achieve any criteria.

Legacy? It’s just a dime in a dozen of JRPGs. It’s only unique factors are theme of gaming parody and moe girls with unique designs. The first game was infamous for its horrible gameplay, only saved by unique world, characters and theme of gaming parody. It’s a long running niche series like Atelier, but Atelier managed to break into bit more mainstream. Neptunia never contributed to anything to gaming to leave any legacy. It’s not like Fatal Fury which influenced Sakurai or overall fighting games. It’s definitely far away from Dragon’s Quest which defined JRPG.

Fan-demand? Virtually non-existent. I was the only one nominating her, and none of supporters from her thread ever showed up. For all the flak Reimu gets, she at least has quite many vocal supporters in internet. Neptune has none of that. Neptunia has none of advantages Touhou claims, let alone Banjo.

Critical acclaim? Most of entries in the series have been poor to mediocre. Even Neptunia VII which is considered best in the series is generally rated decent at best. Neptunia can’t claim advantage of Persona 5.

Relationship with Nintendo? There is hardly any. Sure. Compile Heart released Super Neptunia RPG and Megadimension Neptunia VII on Switch which can be said more than Persona 5 which isn’t still on Switch, but they are piss poor ports. They couldn’t bother to optimize properly when there are games that are way more demanding hardware wise than those two games. For the record, most of Neptunia titles stayed on Playstation and PC. Even if you bring Snake, Cloud and Joker, their parent companies have had good relationship with Nintendo. CH just ported those two games recently but with half-assed effort. So, I don’t see how that spells for good relationship. And most recent announcement which is “PS5Sep 16, 202090Go! Go! 5 Jigen Game Neptune: re★Verse” is bloody PS5 exclusive. Yet, it’s just remaster of already remaster of Rebirth 1 which is already remaster of the first game. If you look at graphic, you wonder why they didn’t bother to include Switch version. If Compile Heart had solid relationship with Nintendo, this should be also released on Switch.

My score used to be higher, but my sour experience with fanbase especially with that announcement ruined my feeling toward Neptune and her franchise. I’m an avid Vert fan myself as I’ve been a Xbox player. (Irony is that the series never came to Xbox) I hate how the fanbase ****s on her. In term of moveset, Neptune isn’t interesting. She will be labeled as another anime swordman that steals precious slot. I understand that supporters of certain characters like Isaac and Lloyd are sick of this argument, but if she replaced your dear Issac or Lloyd, would you keep the same mindset? Sword is covered so much that it’s hard to justify another sword character that doesn’t stand out enough. I guess her unique aesthetic is her strong point, but that’s her only saving grace imo. There is HDD as transformation mechanic… but we kinda have that with Joker. And I would rather have Agumon cover that with digivolution.

I can safely use “deserving” argument here. Neptune doesn’t deserve to be in Smash. At least not in form of playable character. Hell, she should be grateful for even Mii costume… when someone like Heihachi got Mii again. There are tons of characters who deserve slots far more than her: Master Chief, Lara Croft, Crash, Agumon, Arle, Dante, Phoenix Write, so many more… It would be insult to those characters and their supporters if she takes up the precious spot. I don’t want to reward Compile Heart that keeps milking this franchise with spin-offs and remakes. They are totally out of touch with their fans. The fact that they hyped up the most recent title but only to reveal as another remake in 10th anniversary of this franchise just makes me oppose Neptune every chance I get. Neptune doesn’t deserve to be in Smash. She doesn’t have enough moveset to set her apart from other swordmen. She won’t bring any new gimmick. Her series is not something for celebration of gaming. I don’t want Compile Heart to be rewarded when they have done ****ty job on Neptunia.
..............Yikes.

And i thought that i was harsh with Sylux of all people, but i understand your frustration, as a former Paper Mario fan.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
And I thought the Kingdom Hearts series had confusing game titles. Why is the 4th main entry game called Megadimension Neptunia VII? I guess the remakes count for entry numbers but still that is way too confusing and doesn't make much sense regardless. Also the upcoming remake of the original game is going to be called Go! Go! 5 Jigen Game Neptune: re☆Verse which is making my head hurt just trying to think about.

Ok I've ranted long enough about videogame titles now onto Neptune's rating:

Chance: 0.1%
A relatively niche series that has never really had a true breakout title. The games usually get scores from 50's - 70's on a scale of 100 and from what I could find weren't that well-received in the West. Compile Heart doesn't really have a special relation with Nintendo as just about all of their games are on Playstation with the exception of some obscure DS games and a few recent titles. The Hyperdimension series itself only started appearing on Nintendo consoles recently, with one of the spin-off games getting ported to Switch in late 2018 and Megadimension Neptunia VII being ported earlier this year. With the already niche series only recently becoming acquainted with Nintendo, I feel like it's too late for Neptune to be considered. A Mii Costume is the best I can see happening but even that is unlikely.

Want: Abstain
I played a small bit of the first game many years ago but that's it. I couldn't really get into it so I'll just abstain from an actual want score. I'll be perfectly honest though: I can't see myself getting too hyped for this. Neptune's games don't look bad... but at the same time they don't look good. Based on what I've heard of the games they seem like guilty pleasures which is fine and all but I'd rather not get Neptune over most other characters in the speculation scene.

-----

Bravely Default chance prediction: 23.74%

Nominations:
Concept: Fortnite Character x10

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Nepu

Chance: 5%
Recently, the series has been trying to move to Nintendo over a bit, with Super Neptunia RPG on Switch and VII getting a port as well. It has-- admittedly, a sort of niche following, it's not huge, but it's there. It was to the point depending on what you followed you'd at least hear of it. But well... I think that's all it has going for it, and it really isn't a lot. The series just doesn't sell much. It isn't well-renown, and even still mostly makes its home in PC. Even with the recent ports I don't see Nintendo going for it. I think I'd even be surprised if Nep got a costume. As with anything, it definitely isn't impossible, but the general competition that comes for DLC isn't doing her any favors.

Want: 50%
I would be alright with it. I tried Neptunia a few years ago, and to my surprise liked it. I at least got through the main four games. Neptune in essence is a swordfighter, even while playing the games I noticed her skills were mostly your usual sword techniques. A way to give them more flair would be to simulate the combo system present in the games, where depending on which move you use, you get another set of moves you can use. I don't think it'd be too expanded because then you'd get too many moves, but at least they'd add a little bit to her. Another thing she could get is a transformation through the "HDD" form (yes the series is full of silly jokes like these) powering up her moves and making them stronger in general. She gets two of these forms, but only one is recurrent so that's probably the one that'd be used.
As for the music, while in general not all of the games' music is to my liking, there's some good stuff in there. They mostly upped their game with the Megadimension soundtrack. That'd be nice to have.

Nominations: Worms x10
Bravely Default prediction: 28%

And I thought the Kingdom Hearts series had confusing game titles. Why is the 4th main entry game called Megadimension Neptunia VII? I guess the remakes count for entry numbers but still that is way too confusing and doesn't make much sense regardless. Also the upcoming remake of the original game is going to be called Go! Go! 5 Jigen Game Neptune: re☆Verse which is making my head hurt just trying to think about.
It's called that because the third game was called "V" but the "V" stands for "Victory", so the fourth is supposed to be "V II" as in "Victory two". I found it dumb too.

Top Bottom