• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Well technically, depending on your definition of "stretcher", Min Min is already a rep for that. (Yes, yes, I'm being a smart-aleck here.)

Chance: 0%. It should come as no surprise that we probably are not getting the Stretchers for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I think even a Spirit Event is above them, much less a Mii Costume or a full blown Challenger Pack. These guys are not on the Global Smash Roster, which has pretty much every other video game character worth talking about; that's an extremely bad sign to begin with, if an anybody-can-add-anybody-from-gaming site doesn't even have these guys, that just shows perfectly how little demand there are for the characters. In fact there's no reason to add them, genuinely cannot think of a reason why they would be picked other than sheer shock value, and that's Sakurai's idea, not Nintendo's. I don't usually think of this, but what makes them stand out? Why should I care about what they can do?

Want: 5%. Well their game doesn't look very bad. But otherwise this would be little more than a kidney stone of a Smash pick to me. I would rather not get a character that merely makes me go "ok next". I want to care about a character, love them or hate them. I can't say this is a character I would care about one way or the other. Or even interests me to any significant degree.

Arle & CJ x 5. I don't know enough about Arknights to predict it.

amageish

Smash Master
Stretchers

Chance: So low it's effectively 0%. So, I think there's a moral argument to be made that if Nintendo wants to brag about its connections/support of Indie games with a Smash appearance, then it could be shown better with a slightly smaller game franchise. I mean, yes, Steve is an indie game in origin, but the claim "Even you, indie game, can get in Smash Bros... assuming you become the best-selling video game of all time and get bought by one of the biggest tech companies first!" isn't exactly a huge show of support for their indie partners. If Nintendo does consciously think "We want to show off our indie connections in Smash," then I could see them picking a dark horse candidate... Not that that's hard when basically every indie game is a dark horse candidate.

That said, that's a moral argument and this is a game of chance. Stretchers is just... too small. Even by small indie game franchises, this is insanely small. It was published by Nintendo, so they have that connection at least!

Maybe a spirit event, but Crypt of the Necrodancer/Cadence of Hyrule is still missing one of those and its an IP with sales in the millions. So... I'm not sure what's up with Nintendo and putting the indie games its associated with in Smash as spirit events. I suppose Travis did bring back indie Mii Costumes as a trend as well, even if nobody thinks of Travis as an indie character.

Want: Abstain. I honestly have no idea how it'd respond to this one.

Noms: Stingray Costume x 10
Predictions: 0.5% and a lot of arguing about the ethics of gacha games

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm trying to write 10 sentences about these guys, guess I'm also a stretcher

Chance: 0.5%
As has been noted, their game came out after the Pass had been decided. Sure, the game is owned by Nintendo, so they could have known about the characters in theory. In practice, The Stretchers was developed by an indie studio in Sweden, so I imagine Nintendo was pretty hands-off. Even if they weren't, it's hard to imagine Nintendo looking at this digital-only game and deciding that it warrants fighter-level promotion. It's too small. There's also the lack of demand, beyond the usual suspects (AKA the great people who make a support thread the moment a new Nintendo IP gets announced) I haven't seen many clamoring for the Stretchers in Smash. I've said that I think there's a really strong chance that we get a promotional Nintendo character, and I still believe that. Astral Chain couldn't get a character, Ring Fit Adventure couldn't get a character, I don't see The Stretchers getting one.

Want: 90%
This is probably going to be the highest score these guys are getting. What can I say, wacky Nintendo game with fun mechanics and solid moveset potential? That's all you have to say to convince me. The Stretchers looks like a lot of fun. However, even in the overly narrow category of eShop-only games released in the last year, I'd still rather get the guy from Good Job. Not to mention my love for the BoxBoy games, though those actually have a semblance of plausibility.

Noms: Scorpion x10
Amiya prediction: 4.2%

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
There is so much potential for a joke here but I got nothing

Chance: 0%

Yeah, this ain't happening. While the game is a Switch exclusive, I'm pretty sure it released after the second pass got finalized. And even if these goof balls were in contention, they have no shot whatsoever. It's a relatively random, small scale game with no notable impact or Smash demand. Aside from it's wacky, ragdoll physics based gameplay, there is nothing that makes it stand out from, well, everything else and I view that as a death sentence.

Want: Abstain

Never played it though I'm definitely intrigued as I tend to gravitate towards silly, ragdoll games like this. Once again, this thread has made me discover another gem.

Prediction: Amiya - 0.25%

Noms: Arthur x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x244
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x235
Concept: A Bravely Default character x230
Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins) x220
Adol Christin x210
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x206
Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x205

200 - 151

Alex Mason x190
Impa (Age of Calamity) x180
Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x155

150 - 101

[Rerate] Frisk x150
Concept: Coco as Crash's Echo/Costume x140
Red (Angry Birds) x125
D.Va x115
[Rerate] Maxwell x115
[Rerate] Chibi-Robo x110
Miriam x110
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x104

100 - 51

Zero (Mega Man) x95
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x93
Hajime Hinata x90
Boss: Ender Dragon x88
Riptor x85
Stage: Bowser's Castle x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
[Rerate] The Knight x80
Fulgore x79
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
[Rerate] Arle Nadja x75
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x70
Concept: Rocket League rep x70
Don-chan x70
Giygas x65
Boss: Rayquaza x65
Cynthia (Pokémon) x60
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Concept: Fortnite character x55
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
[Rerate] Monokuma x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Magolor x55
John Marston x55
Jin Sakai x55
Ghirahim x55
Echo (Olimar) x51

50 - 25

Carl Johnson x50
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) x50
Concept: The remaining SSB4 DLC Mii Costumes return (or get the deluxe treatment) x45
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x30
Tetra x25
Crazy Dave x25

Under 25

Ryza (Atelier) x20
Qbby x20
T-Rex Runner x20
Yarn Yoshi x15
Concept: A Challenger Pack with 2 Fighters x15
Echo (Bowser) x15
Billy & Jimmy Lee x15
Tetris x10
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
Stage: Tetris x5
[Rerate] Agumon x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x5
[Rerate] Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x5
Mii Costume: Monika x5
Concept: A 4X strategy rep x5

Adol Christin easily wins his duel with Alex Mason, cuts past Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content and Content from currently unreleased game and ends the day in fifth place. PMD content passes the other Content to take sixth, and Mason is shot out of the top 7.

Ghirahim and Cynthia battle past 50 noms.

Crazy Dave makes it to 25 noms.

Joining the list we have Mii Costume: Monika, and Concept: A 4X strategy rep, both with 5 noms.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
The Stretchers
The Stretchers franchise has a long and rich history. The series stretches all the way back to 2019, and is known for being flexible with genres.

Among its extensive library of games, you have titles such as:
- "The Stretchers"
-
-
-

Well, yeah. It's not exactly prominent. A single game released, with practically no information available on it. As mentioned earlier, the OST isn't even on YouTube. Made by Tarsier Studios, whose only other title of note is Little Nightmares. Pretty much the only noteworthy thing about it is Nintendo publishing it.

Want: 0%
I have no connection to this game whatsoever. This is the first time I've heard of it.
The game looks fun enough, I guess, but it doesn't really hook me. Can't say anything about the music, for reasons previously mentioned.
Usually, I like the idea of obscure titles like this in smash, but the character design in this game is so bland.

Predict Amiya: 0.8%

Nominations
Adol Christin x10

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
The Stretchers

Chance 0 - Yeah this isn't going to happen. The Stretchers are western characters. The Stretchers are indie characters. They don't really have anything to add to the spirit board and they don't really have much interesting in the way of stages or music. Just way too much going against them and way too many characters ahead of them to see them as legit contenders

Want 60 - Yeah, I'd like this. Their moveset would be pretty fun and I think i'd like another Ice Climbers type character. Nowhere near the top of my want list but I lean yes on them.

Predictions
Amiya - .21%

Noms:
TRex Runner x10

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Hoo boy, what a response. Better put this in a spoiler tab for people's convenience.
You do realize people tend to push and expect things from new games right?
Of course. If I didn't, I wouldn't be complaining about this as much as I have.

That is kind of how Nintendo has operated in the past...three smash games. Let me break down how many of our characters would fall onto your idea of bandwagoning onto a new/popular character.

:ultbanjokazooie::ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultbyleth::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ulthero::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultlittlemac::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultminmin:ultrobin::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultridley::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultwolf::ultzss::ultwario::ultkingdedede:

All of these characters, if I really wanted to be that guy, would be considered "bandwagon" characters by your logic.
The fact that you genuinely believe this sentence means you really don't understand my logic whatsoever. So, if you may, allow me to elucidate you on my stance.

My issue isn't with bandwagoning in general. At it's worst, it's an unavoidable reality of speculation that affects every fanbase whether big or small. Personally, I don't even see it as a strictly bad thing, since that's one of the main ways that fans of certain characters come into the fold: they hear about a character they may not have any experience with, and they decide to back them because they're popular (by whichever metric you wish to use) or they believe them likely to join Smash, and in the course of following this speculation they begin to get into the character's series and play their games, becoming a full-on, dyed-in-the-wool supporter.

Rather, my issue is with a specific form of bandwagoning, one that's more tied to a line of thought than it is any one character. In it's simplest terms, the idea is that new game/fanchise/DLC gets announced, or some rumor or piece of speculation comes out that catches on, and as a result of this, a character from such is now considered either more likely, or outright a shoe-in, to join Smash. BotW!Zelda is the example I used, however she isn't the only character to whom this line of logic applies to.

Despite your assessment that I'm some bitter boomer yelling at these newfangled characters because I want le ebin magic puppet man, a good number of characters I believe fall victim to this are characters that I not only believe would be completely fine joining Smash, but also ones that are significantly old, those of which being Monster Hunter, Dante, and Ryu Hayabusa.
  • Monster Hunter is a franchise that I don't have much experience with, however I'm well aware of how much of a culture phenomenon it is, especially in it's homeland, and Rathalos was a cool addition to Smash as is, so I would in no way take issue with them getting a character in Smash.
  • Dante from the Devil May Cry™ series is a character I don't have much experience with, however I believe he would be a fun addition to Smash... unless his trailer doesn't have him and Bayonetta squaring off and he doesn't come with Devil Trigger as one of his music tracks, in which case I don't want him anywhere near Smash. :ultpacman:
  • Ryu Hayabusa, unlike the other two listed above, is a character who I actually have some limit experience with via my time playing (and eventually beating) the original Ninja Gaiden on NES. As such, I would very much love to see him in Smash.
As for why these guys are victims of this sort of bandwagoning I'm talking about...
  • 2 new Monster Hunter games were announced recently in their own dedicated Nintendo Direct, so people have been lead to believe a Monster Hunter character is likely coming to Smash.
  • Hideki Kamiya does a poll asking people which of his characters they'd like to see in Smash, and the first three DMC games are re-released for the Switch, so people have begun to believe that Dante is very likely as DLC for Smash. (Though I will say with regards to the latter point, it certainly doesn't hurt his chances.)
  • IAmShifty professed that Ryu Hayabusa would be the last DLC fighter for Fighters Pass Vol.1, and for whatever reason people believed him and remain convinced that he's still coming as DLC for Vol.2.
Now I'm not saying that any of these characters can't or won't come to Smash. (Except for BotW!Zelda for Vol.2, though that assessment goes well beyond this topic.) Hell, I think Dante actually has a pretty good chance of making it in. But again, my issue is with the mentality that "new game = more likely for Smash". Just because the Crown Tundra DLC just dropped doesn't mean we're guarenteed or even likely to get a Gen VIII Pokemon as DLC. Just because Suda 51 didn't want to comment on Travis for Smash doesn't mean he's more likely to join than anyone else. (By the way, R.I.P. Travisbros.) Just because a new original IP from Nintendo has LITERALLY JUST BEEN ANNOUNCED does not mean they're coming to Smash in the immediate future. While we've had instances of this in the past, which is almost entirely limited to Pokemon and Fire Emblem, it's largely a falacy and it does nothing to help us figure out who's coming to Smash.

And since I'm still responding to this section of your post, I'll point out that most of the characters you listed there actually wouldn't fall under what I'm talking about.

Furthermore, you are stretching this "shoo in" mentality. Even the highest end scores still say she is far from a shoo in. I don't see every other post in this thread saying BotW Zelda is a shoo in just because Age of Calamity exists. Surprise surprise, while plenty of us entertain the idea, she is not seen as a complete lock.
Well, I've seen plenty to the contrary, but since this is largely relative I guess we can agree to disagree on this point.

>le Star Wars gif
At the risk of sounding shallow and pedantic, this ain't ****in' twitter mate. Keep your sassy gifs in your pocket, or at the very least don't use gifs from the objectively worst Star Wars movie.

Let us start off with the fact Smash tends to represent relatively recent franchises/characters and new developments on the era that preceded them.
Actually, let's not, because this entire point is nothing but a strawman. I never said they don't typically include characters from the current era in which each game was made, obviously they do. My point was that they don't typically do promotional picks for characters, with the sole exceptions of Roy (Included to promote his at the time soom to be released game) and Corrin (Included to promote the worst modern Fire Emblem game). This point actually ties in to what I was saying earlier about relevancy-based bandwagon characters. (For lack of a better term.)

BotW is represented in Smash, but given Nintendo is making a canon spin off and a sequel, it is clear it will keep growing in that regard. It is the future of Zelda. Music from BotW2 or AoC could easily be sold in a pass, there could easily be another stage, and given how AoC and BotW2 will introduce new versions of characters and new characters, it is easy to imagine them making a spirit board while still putting in existing spirits like they did with Min Min.
Sure, they could add new stuff, they could always add new stuff, but BotW is a bit of a different beast compared to ARMS prior to Min Min's release.
  • Unlike BotW, ARMS didn't have any music tracks in the base game.
  • Unlike BotW, ARMS didn't have a stage in the base game.
  • Unlike BotW, ARMS only had 5 Spirits in the base game as opposed to the 8 (9 if you include Link's Fighter Spirit) included in the base game, which is almost enough to fill an entire DLC Spirit Board all on it's own. (The most we've ever gotten from a DLC Fighter is 11.)
  • Unlike BotW, ARMS as a whole was significantly less represented in the base game.
All of these facts combined, plus simply comparing her to any of the other more diverse and exciting DLC fighters thus far (and Byleth), makes the idea of selling BotW!Zelda as a DLC Fighter incredibly difficult. I mean, why buy BotW!Zelda who'll come with a bunch of content that's already in the game when you can pick up Banjo, Terry or Steve, who are completely unique (both in terms of gameplay and visual design) and bring along with them plenty of unique, quality content that you'd never find in the base game?

As for your final point, you could do honestly whatever with the character. Make her moveset borrow moves from Link in BotW. Wouldn't be the first time they did that with Zelda, you never see her use the OoT spells that make up the core of her moveset in the games. You could splash some Musou elements in if you wanted to but there is no need. The BotW system seems like it is a good choice on its own. Given how everyone and their mother expects Zelda to be playable in BotW2, I would not be surprised if they chose that direction for her.
Again, you completely misunderstood what I was saying here. I wasn't talking about her moveset potential, I was referring to the content she could bring with her as I've described above.

Gameplay and Story Segregation. There is a difference in how a games story is shown through gameplay and through its cutscenes. The fact of the matter is that AoC shows Zelda is not as helpless as it would seem, at least compared to how you are illustrating it. Heck, your own argument about the Master Sword proves it. While in your playthrough you might have glitched to get the sword, in canon, Link does the trials. In gameplay Zelda might be a strong combatant, but in the story Link is her champion for a reason.
Define Irony: Someone arguing the exact argument I was making against someone else right back to me whilst under the impression that I made the argument someone else made.

The argument that person was making was that Zelda's moveset in Age of Calamity can be used as the basis for her moveset in Smash because Age of Calamity is canon to the BotW universe. I countered by pointing out how Musou games tend to over-exaggerate a character's competency in combat for gameplay purposes, and that Age of Calamity's canonicity doesn't matter in that regard and shouldn't be taken as an accurate reflection of Zelda's canonical power level. In other words, Gameplay and Story Segregation.

I hate to sound like a condescending asshole here, but you really need to do a better job at reading and comprehending what people are saying before you type out long, angry diatribes like this.

You have to remember that that was in 2016. Now it is 2020. We not only have a sequel to a mainline Zelda game, which alone is rare especially on this scope, we have a canon spinoff. BotW Zelda could easily be seen as worth a second look with two whole games more of content to look over and represent, especially given the more distinct direction the BotW part of the series has gone.
I don't doubt that BotW is a major sub-franchise for Nintendo, but being a popular, successful or relevant part of modern Nintendo history does not a DLC fighter for Smash make. Using recency as an argument in favor of a character's chances is a fallacy that many Smash speculators fall into, and I daresay it makes speculation much more obnoxious than it would be otherwise.

Also, I don't know how this argues against the statement you were responding to whatsoever.

First of all, you really are downplaying how much timing helps characters. It is part of the reason Rex is seen as far more likely than Elma.
Actually, Rex is seen as more likely than Elma because:
  1. XCX is considered the red-headed stepchild of the Xenoblade series, whereas XC2 is massively beloved and popular. I mean sure, Elma was added to XC2 as a DLC blade, but the general attitude
  2. Much like an ARMS character, Rex was actually considered for inclusion in Smash Ultimate base game but just barely missed the boat, and since Min Min got in as DLC it would make sense for Sakurai to also go back for Rex since his game has been out for well over a couple years now.
  3. Rex and the Numa Numa Crew are more appealing to general audiences compared to Elma due to their massive Ara Ara energy. I mean, have you SEEN all the lewd images made of the three of them!? 100% FLAWLESS LOGIC, YOU CAN'T ARGUE AGAINST IT!! :ultpacman:

But even beyond that, you clearly are strawmanning everyone who thinks that BotW Zelda has a decent chance.
So... people haven't been pushing BotW!Zelda for Vol.2 recently because of Age of Calamity? People have always thought BotW!Zelda was very super-dee-super unlikely? Well ****, I guess all those videos I saw of people stating the exact opposite were total fabrications, then. All joking aside, this isn't exactly a point that either of us will be able to convince the other of so again, agree to disagree.

For starters, as I have shown with characters who have actually gotten in, it is not a useless piece of information.
If that were true in the slightest, you would've understood my position and made reasonable counterpoints to it, instead of misinterpreting my point and going off on some unrelated tangent, all the while insulting me

While the characters that are the new hotness are generally going to get a strong look, it is important to have more of an argument other than just they are new.
I never made this argument against Inkling, nor did I ever make this argument against Joker, nor did I ever make this argument against Byleth, nor did I make this argument against Min Min. Just to make sure this rings crystal clear for you, allow me to reiterate: I do not have an issue with new or recent characters being added to Smash. I have never once argued that a character should not or could got make it into Smash due to being a newer character. That has never been by position, nor will it ever be my positon, save for more specific instances such as a character having made their debut mere moments ago.

You do not see as many people speculating on Ring Fit Adventure or another Animal Crossing character for instance, despite both being big hits on the Switch.
With regards to Animal Crossing, nobody's speculating about a new character because we got Isabelle in the base game, but even before then Isabelle was a very commonly discussed character back in the day. With regards to the RingFit Trainee, people began speculating about this character coming to Smash as soon as their game was revealed, and only died down once their Spirit event happened.

It is important to build your character's case or the case against them. Legacy, Fan Demand, Recent Releases, Worldwide appeal, and more. All important parts of speculation.
Ehh, most of those are debatable:
  • Legacy doesn't matter. If it did, newer characters like Joker, Banjo or Min Min would've been excluded altogether.
  • Recent Releases don't mean anything, as I've mentioned to the point of redundancy.
  • Worldwide Appeal doesn't matter. Sakurai has explicitly expressed this very sentiment with regards to Terry during Terry's Presentation (Timestamp 5:40): "Whether or not the character is fun to play as is more important than whether the character is new or old, or whether the character is recognizable to everyone."
Fan Demand is probably the only one of these points that I feel has some merit, at least with regards to Ultimate. Based on the characters we've gotten thus far, as well as several statements made by Sakurai, it very much seems that fan demand is one of the core tenants that has dictated who they've chosen for Ultimate, even putting aside the big NEVER EVER characters Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo:
  • Splatoon was a surprise hit and the series is considered one of Nintendo biggest tentpole franchises, which is beyond incredible for such a young franchise. As such, Inkling was a character that people not only wanted to join Smash, but fully expected to join Smash.
  • Castlevania content in general had been highly requested by fans for a long time, and it was this demand that lead Sakurai to include Simon, Richter, and a whole host of Castlevania content to the game. Source
  • While the Animal Crossing has always been very popular, especially with more casual gamers, Isabelle in particular had captured the hearts of many due to her cute design and friendly disposition.
  • Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus and Ken were some of the most highly requested characters in Smash for a while now, which is why they became Echo Fighters, with Sakurai having gone on record stating that Chrom and Dark Samus were specifically chosen due to their high demand in Japan and North America & Europe, respectively. Source
  • Dragon Quest has always been very popular in Japan, to the point that people would skip school or work just to buy the newest game. As such, there was plenty of demand from that region for Dragon Quest content in Smash.
  • Most recently, the immense demand from fans the world over to see Steve, or Minecraft content in general, in Smash was ultimately the reason why they decided to include Steve to begin with.
Ironically enough, despite this recurring trend of fan demand being one of the most common deciding factors in who gets chosen for Ultimate, I've seen no shortage of people severely downplay this aspect, if not completely ignore it, in favor of everything else you've listed. "What? You think [X Character] could make it in because the fans really want them? HOW ABSURD! [X Character] isn't popular enough! [X Character] doesn't have a legacy! [X Character] hasn't been in enough games! The only thing that [X Character] has is their fan demand, and even then it's most likely just people bandwagoning!". But I digress.

Boiling it down to I do not like any modern character that gets a smash push from fans is honestly what actually makes speculation dull.
Well, it's a good thing I don't say anything like that then, isn't it?

It is people who instead of looking at every aspect of the character and instead gatekeep what people can want that are what makes speculation dull.
Wow, I had no idea that I had the power to prevent people from wanting characters in Smash.

But seriously, how is recycling the exact same terrible, fallacious argument for every currently relevant character not incredibly dull? Why is it that you feel you can dictate to me what is and isn't dull with regards to speculation and accuse me of doing likewise to you and others, when I did no such thing? Especially considering you can't even bother to explain to me how such repetitive argumentation isn't dull?

I saw how you got into a massive argument on Sora's day which boiled down to "I really want Geno and never Played KH so Sora is basically every other swordsman"
Listen, I'm sorry that I believe Sora will just end up being Cloud 2.0, and thus find him boring. I'm sorry I was never willing to subject myself to babby's first Devil May Cry™ game, a game with a plot so long and convoluted that they had to make an entire game to try and explain all of it. But most of all, I'm ESPECIALLY sorry that I'd prefer we get one character in Smash before we get another. I swear, I tried really, REALLY hard not to let it happen but I-I just... I just couldn't do it!

or your honestly toxic attitude towards Travis fans when their character got deconfirmed.
Which is definitely what I did. I didn't try to make it crystal clear in that post that I was mocking the very same relevancy-based bandwagoning attitude that I've been very staunchly criticizing both in this post and others, and I certainly didn't try to explain that I would've said the same thing if it were literally any other character who is currently subjected to this relevancy-based bandwagoning. Nah, I just dropped in to tell Travisbros to eat ****, much like I totally did to Stevebros when Banjo was revealed, because I'm a petty--
>B-BUT TRAVIS HAS A NEW GAME COMING OUT SOON! HE'S SUPER RELEVANT! AND SUDA 51 REFUSED TO COMMENT ABOUT TRAVIS IN SMASH! HE DEFINITELY GOING TO BE A FIGHTER!
Let this be a lesson to all of you who think that relevancy and having a new game coming out decides who's getting in.
Oh wait, what? Who put this here? Wait a second, could... could this be that very post I made back on the 3rd that you're referring to?! BY JOVE, IT IS!! And look, it appears that some despicable neerdowell decide to embolden the very quote that explains my motivation in posting that comment to begin with! What's more, it appears that emboldened comment is entirely congruent with what I've been saying all along! Hell, there's not even any direct insult to Travisbros whatsoever! My word, this is incredible!

Before you gatekeep what people want, strawman what people are saying, and gloat when a character is deconfirmed, try to keep an open mind, civilly debate characters, and make a coherent argument next time.
Maybe next time you decide to make a lengthy response to someone else's post, you'll actually read what they said and understand what arguments they're making, rather than erecting strawmen, misinterpreting damn near everything they say, and making a complete ass of yourself. Maybe next time you'll try not to let your baseless, misinformed anger dictate how you respond to someone, and will instead think calmly and logically about what you'll say to refute their points. And maybe next time you'll learn to simply let people have their own opinions, rather than raking them over the coals and attacking their character.

And as a closer, since you've made me aware of the awesome power I hold over other people, I'll simply end by saying this: You're allowed to want BotW!Zelda for Smash. Don't let my take stop you from wanting whoever you want in Smash. After all, I'm just a random guy on the internet, and in actuality I hold no power over your opinions.

Also, make better arguments next time.

And I guess since I'm here, I'll leave my scores on The Stretchers. This should be quick.

Can you imagine? Yeah, comparing them to everyone else we've gotten as DLC thus far, I don't see them coming as DLC whatsoever. That said, I think they could end up as a sick Assist Trophy in the next Smash game, or even the next Wii Fit Trainer if they're lucky. (Or if Sakurai wants to be weird again, which is always a possibility.)

Want: 50%
I've never played their game, but the idea of these guys trying to fight Mario and Samus would be hilarious to me, so I'd be fine with them, I guess.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I can't really think of 10 sentences worth of content for this character so I'm just gonna abstain today. Though like others said, even if they were published by Nintendo, they're still a western indie game that came too late for FP2 consideration.

Nominations:
Don-chan x5

Predictions:
Amiya - 0.22% - Expecting Baldi-tier scores here.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Hoo boy, what a response. Better put this in a spoiler tab for people's convenience.
Of course. If I didn't, I wouldn't be complaining about this as much as I have.

The fact that you genuinely believe this sentence means you really don't understand my logic whatsoever. So, if you may, allow me to elucidate you on my stance.

My issue isn't with bandwagoning in general. At it's worst, it's an unavoidable reality of speculation that affects every fanbase whether big or small. Personally, I don't even see it as a strictly bad thing, since that's one of the main ways that fans of certain characters come into the fold: they hear about a character they may not have any experience with, and they decide to back them because they're popular (by whichever metric you wish to use) or they believe them likely to join Smash, and in the course of following this speculation they begin to get into the character's series and play their games, becoming a full-on, dyed-in-the-wool supporter.

Rather, my issue is with a specific form of bandwagoning, one that's more tied to a line of thought than it is any one character. In it's simplest terms, the idea is that new game/fanchise/DLC gets announced, or some rumor or piece of speculation comes out that catches on, and as a result of this, a character from such is now considered either more likely, or outright a shoe-in, to join Smash. BotW!Zelda is the example I used, however she isn't the only character to whom this line of logic applies to.

Despite your assessment that I'm some bitter boomer yelling at these newfangled characters because I want le ebin magic puppet man, a good number of characters I believe fall victim to this are characters that I not only believe would be completely fine joining Smash, but also ones that are significantly old, those of which being Monster Hunter, Dante, and Ryu Hayabusa.
  • Monster Hunter is a franchise that I don't have much experience with, however I'm well aware of how much of a culture phenomenon it is, especially in it's homeland, and Rathalos was a cool addition to Smash as is, so I would in no way take issue with them getting a character in Smash.
  • Dante from the Devil May Cry™ series is a character I don't have much experience with, however I believe he would be a fun addition to Smash... unless his trailer doesn't have him and Bayonetta squaring off and he doesn't come with Devil Trigger as one of his music tracks, in which case I don't want him anywhere near Smash. :ultpacman:
  • Ryu Hayabusa, unlike the other two listed above, is a character who I actually have some limit experience with via my time playing (and eventually beating) the original Ninja Gaiden on NES. As such, I would very much love to see him in Smash.
As for why these guys are victims of this sort of bandwagoning I'm talking about...
  • 2 new Monster Hunter games were announced recently in their own dedicated Nintendo Direct, so people have been lead to believe a Monster Hunter character is likely coming to Smash.
  • Hideki Kamiya does a poll asking people which of his characters they'd like to see in Smash, and the first three DMC games are re-released for the Switch, so people have begun to believe that Dante is very likely as DLC for Smash. (Though I will say with regards to the latter point, it certainly doesn't hurt his chances.)
  • IAmShifty professed that Ryu Hayabusa would be the last DLC fighter for Fighters Pass Vol.1, and for whatever reason people believed him and remain convinced that he's still coming as DLC for Vol.2.
Now I'm not saying that any of these characters can't or won't come to Smash. (Except for BotW!Zelda for Vol.2, though that assessment goes well beyond this topic.) Hell, I think Dante actually has a pretty good chance of making it in. But again, my issue is with the mentality that "new game = more likely for Smash". Just because the Crown Tundra DLC just dropped doesn't mean we're guarenteed or even likely to get a Gen VIII Pokemon as DLC. Just because Suda 51 didn't want to comment on Travis for Smash doesn't mean he's more likely to join than anyone else. (By the way, R.I.P. Travisbros.) Just because a new original IP from Nintendo has LITERALLY JUST BEEN ANNOUNCED does not mean they're coming to Smash in the immediate future. While we've had instances of this in the past, which is almost entirely limited to Pokemon and Fire Emblem, it's largely a falacy and it does nothing to help us figure out who's coming to Smash.

And since I'm still responding to this section of your post, I'll point out that most of the characters you listed there actually wouldn't fall under what I'm talking about.

Well, I've seen plenty to the contrary, but since this is largely relative I guess we can agree to disagree on this point.

>le Star Wars gif
At the risk of sounding shallow and pedantic, this ain't ****in' twitter mate. Keep your sassy gifs in your pocket, or at the very least don't use gifs from the objectively worst Star Wars movie.

Actually, let's not, because this entire point is nothing but a strawman. I never said they don't typically include characters from the current era in which each game was made, obviously they do. My point was that they don't typically do promotional picks for characters, with the sole exceptions of Roy (Included to promote his at the time soom to be released game) and Corrin (Included to promote the worst modern Fire Emblem game). This point actually ties in to what I was saying earlier about relevancy-based bandwagon characters. (For lack of a better term.)

Sure, they could add new stuff, they could always add new stuff, but BotW is a bit of a different beast compared to ARMS prior to Min Min's release.
  • Unlike BotW, ARMS didn't have any music tracks in the base game.
  • Unlike BotW, ARMS didn't have a stage in the base game.
  • Unlike BotW, ARMS only had 5 Spirits in the base game as opposed to the 8 (9 if you include Link's Fighter Spirit) included in the base game, which is almost enough to fill an entire DLC Spirit Board all on it's own. (The most we've ever gotten from a DLC Fighter is 11.)
  • Unlike BotW, ARMS as a whole was significantly less represented in the base game.
All of these facts combined, plus simply comparing her to any of the other more diverse and exciting DLC fighters thus far (and Byleth), makes the idea of selling BotW!Zelda as a DLC Fighter incredibly difficult. I mean, why buy BotW!Zelda who'll come with a bunch of content that's already in the game when you can pick up Banjo, Terry or Steve, who are completely unique (both in terms of gameplay and visual design) and bring along with them plenty of unique, quality content that you'd never find in the base game?

Again, you completely misunderstood what I was saying here. I wasn't talking about her moveset potential, I was referring to the content she could bring with her as I've described above.

The argument that person was making was that Zelda's moveset in Age of Calamity can be used as the basis for her moveset in Smash because Age of Calamity is canon to the BotW universe. I countered by pointing out how Musou games tend to over-exaggerate a character's competency in combat for gameplay purposes, and that Age of Calamity's canonicity doesn't matter in that regard and shouldn't be taken as an accurate reflection of Zelda's canonical power level. In other words, Gameplay and Story Segregation.

I hate to sound like a condescending asshole here, but you really need to do a better job at reading and comprehending what people are saying before you type out long, angry diatribes like this.

I don't doubt that BotW is a major sub-franchise for Nintendo, but being a popular, successful or relevant part of modern Nintendo history does not a DLC fighter for Smash make. Using recency as an argument in favor of a character's chances is a fallacy that many Smash speculators fall into, and I daresay it makes speculation much more obnoxious than it would be otherwise.

Also, I don't know how this argues against the statement you were responding to whatsoever.

Actually, Rex is seen as more likely than Elma because:
  1. XCX is considered the red-headed stepchild of the Xenoblade series, whereas XC2 is massively beloved and popular. I mean sure, Elma was added to XC2 as a DLC blade, but the general attitude
  2. Much like an ARMS character, Rex was actually considered for inclusion in Smash Ultimate base game but just barely missed the boat, and since Min Min got in as DLC it would make sense for Sakurai to also go back for Rex since his game has been out for well over a couple years now.
  3. Rex and the Numa Numa Crew are more appealing to general audiences compared to Elma due to their massive Ara Ara energy. I mean, have you SEEN all the lewd images made of the three of them!? 100% FLAWLESS LOGIC, YOU CAN'T ARGUE AGAINST IT!! :ultpacman:

So... people haven't been pushing BotW!Zelda for Vol.2 recently because of Age of Calamity? People have always thought BotW!Zelda was very super-dee-super unlikely? Well ****, I guess all those videos I saw of people stating the exact opposite were total fabrications, then. All joking aside, this isn't exactly a point that either of us will be able to convince the other of so again, agree to disagree.

If that were true in the slightest, you would've understood my position and made reasonable counterpoints to it, instead of misinterpreting my point and going off on some unrelated tangent, all the while insulting me

I never made this argument against Inkling, nor did I ever make this argument against Joker, nor did I ever make this argument against Byleth, nor did I make this argument against Min Min. Just to make sure this rings crystal clear for you, allow me to reiterate: I do not have an issue with new or recent characters being added to Smash. I have never once argued that a character should not or could got make it into Smash due to being a newer character. That has never been by position, nor will it ever be my positon, save for more specific instances such as a character having made their debut mere moments ago.

With regards to Animal Crossing, nobody's speculating about a new character because we got Isabelle in the base game, but even before then Isabelle was a very commonly discussed character back in the day. With regards to the RingFit Trainee, people began speculating about this character coming to Smash as soon as their game was revealed, and only died down once their Spirit event happened.

Ehh, most of those are debatable:
  • Legacy doesn't matter. If it did, newer characters like Joker, Banjo or Min Min would've been excluded altogether.
  • Recent Releases don't mean anything, as I've mentioned to the point of redundancy.
  • Worldwide Appeal doesn't matter. Sakurai has explicitly expressed this very sentiment with regards to Terry during Terry's Presentation (Timestamp 5:40): "Whether or not the character is fun to play as is more important than whether the character is new or old, or whether the character is recognizable to everyone."
Fan Demand is probably the only one of these points that I feel has some merit, at least with regards to Ultimate. Based on the characters we've gotten thus far, as well as several statements made by Sakurai, it very much seems that fan demand is one of the core tenants that has dictated who they've chosen for Ultimate, even putting aside the big NEVER EVER characters Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo:
  • Splatoon was a surprise hit and the series is considered one of Nintendo biggest tentpole franchises, which is beyond incredible for such a young franchise. As such, Inkling was a character that people not only wanted to join Smash, but fully expected to join Smash.
  • Castlevania content in general had been highly requested by fans for a long time, and it was this demand that lead Sakurai to include Simon, Richter, and a whole host of Castlevania content to the game.
  • While the Animal Crossing has always been very popular, especially with more casual gamers, Isabelle in particular had captured the hearts of many due to her cute design and friendly disposition.
  • Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus and Ken were some of the most highly requested characters in Smash for a while now, which is why they became Echo Fighters, with Sakurai having gone on record stating that Chrom and Dark Samus were specifically chosen due to their high demand in Japan and North America & Europe, respectively.
  • Dragon Quest has always been very popular in Japan, to the point that people would skip school or work just to buy the newest game. As such, there was plenty of demand from that region for Dragon Quest content in Smash.
  • Most recently, the immense demand from fans the world over to see Steve, or Minecraft content in general, in Smash was ultimately the reason why they decided to include Steve to begin with.
Ironically enough, despite this recurring trend of fan demand being one of the most common deciding factors in who gets chosen for Ultimate, I've seen no shortage of people severely downplay this aspect, if not completely ignore it, in favor of everything else you've listed. "What? You think [X Character] could make it in because the fans really want them? HOW ABSURD! [X Character] isn't popular enough! [X Character] doesn't have a legacy! [X Character] hasn't been in enough games! The only thing that [X Character] has is their fan demand, and even then it's most likely just people bandwagoning!". But I digress.

But seriously, how is recycling the exact same terrible, fallacious argument for every currently relevant character not incredibly dull? Why is it that you feel you can dictate to me what is and isn't dull with regards to speculation and accuse me of doing likewise to you and others, when I did no such thing? Especially considering you can't even bother to explain to me how such repetitive argumentation isn't dull?

Listen, I'm sorry that I believe Sora will just end up being Cloud 2.0, and thus find him boring. I'm sorry I was never willing to subject myself to babby's first Devil May Cry™ game, a game with a plot so long and convoluted that they had to make an entire game to try and explain all of it. But most of all, I'm ESPECIALLY sorry that I'd prefer we get one character in Smash before we get another. I swear, I tried really, REALLY hard not to let it happen but I-I just... I just couldn't do it!

Which is definitely what I did. I didn't try to make it crystal clear in that post that I was mocking the very same relevancy-based bandwagoning attitude that I've been very staunchly criticizing both in this post and others, and I certainly didn't try to explain that I would've said the same thing if it were literally any other character who is currently subjected to this relevancy-based bandwagoning. Nah, I just dropped in to tell Travisbros to eat ****, much like I totally did to Stevebros when Banjo was revealed, because I'm a petty--

Oh wait, what? Who put this here? Wait a second, could... could this be that very post I made back on the 3rd that you're referring to?! BY JOVE, IT IS!! And look, it appears that some despicable neerdowell decide to embolden the very quote that explains my motivation in posting that comment to begin with! What's more, it appears that emboldened comment is entirely congruent with what I've been saying all along! Hell, there's not even any direct insult to Travisbros whatsoever! My word, this is incredible!
Well, since TCT hasn't responded yet, and I doubt he wants to, I'll take up the torch here.
Let's start with your points on bandwagoning, which by the way, can all be applied to Geno, as a Geno supporter. Between Cacomallow and Sakurai statements, people jump on the Geno wagon just because of a new thing. So you're already being completely hypocritical, especially since Monster Hunter was already seen as incredibly likely, the new games just added to it. Check people's thoughts before the reveals; not much has really changed, people think Monster Hunter is likely but..they already kinda did? For Ryu, again, he was already seen as likely prior to the Shifty leaks; even before Shifty said that, he was already seen as incredibely likely because..let's face it, he's an NES star with a huge legacy and Koei Tecmo has no reps in Smash; he just makes sense to put into Smash. The only one of these 3 that's actually a real bandwagon is Dante, which..Yeah, those reasons are all pretty solid. But..That's not the huge problem with this.

BoTW has a lot of content in Ultimate, yeah. But that doesn't mean you can't add more into the game just because it already has a lot of content; that's bull****. BoTW is a gigantic game, and you seriously tell me that they couldn't get enough content for a fighter's pack, most of the time including 10 spirits tops and like 15 music tracks, and that's not even counting Age of Calamity? That's actual bull****! Oh, Zelda's moveset might be exaggerated in Warriors? Doesn't mean she can't have one! Hell, you could incorporate the SheikahSlate and all that it can do super easily, and also, ZELDA CAN SUMMON A PHANTOM IN NORMAL SMASH EVEN THOUGH SHE'S ONLY ABLE TO DO THAT AS A GHOST IN CANON. I DON'T THINK THE DEV TEAM GIVES A DAMN ABOUT EXAGERRATION OR NOT.

You saying all that **** about Zelda not happening? Byleth exists. And counters, ya know, all of that? Nintendo has released promo characters, and again, the fighter's pass is chosen by NINTENDO AND SAKURAI. If Nintendo wants to promote Age of Calamity, they can do that rather easily...

Also, ..DID YOU SERIOUSLY SAY THAT REX IS MORE LIKELY BECAUSE OF LEWDS? ARE..Are you insane? Also saying that X is the stepchild is kiiiinda ignoring that to a lot of the Xenoblade fanbase, it's 2 that's the stepchild, not X. 2, surprise surprise, isn't very popular among the Xenoblade community, while X is. So again, you're kinda straight up wrong here. Again. And also, your points against Zelda work against Rex too.

ROY AND CORRIN ARE THE ONLY PROMO CHARACTERS? ARE...Are you literally insane? Lemme just, uh, check the other promo characters real quick..Hmm...
oh yeah. Byleth. Incineroar. Greninja. Luminary (come on that entire Sakurai Presents was a giant Dragon Quest 11 ad). Are...Are you serious here? Roy and Corrin aren't the only promotional characters in the game, that's actually straight up dumb.

And saying that Sora will end up just like Cloud when you yourself profess to have never played a Kingdom Hearts game is straight up idiotic. Oh, just because one Squeenix character was kinda generic in his moveset even though Hero wasn't means that Sora is by default! I don't want Sora in, but I don't think his moveset would be dull; i just don't like Disney. And you straight up admitting to being an asshole reaaaaally doesn't help your case here. Straight up admitting to being toxic to people because their character was deconfirmed is not okay. Period.

Feel free to rip into this post, but i really don't care. Just trying to put my opinion into this discussion.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Well, since TCT hasn't responded yet, and I doubt he wants to, I'll take up the torch here.
>I'm going to fight someone else's battles on the internet
For what purpose?

Let's start with your points on bandwagoning, which by the way, can all be applied to Geno, as a Geno supporter. Between Cacomallow and Sakurai statements, people jump on the Geno wagon just because of a new thing. So you're already being completely hypocritical
I disagree. There are a lot of differences between Geno and the characters who tend to be subject to this relevancy-based bandwagoning. (For lack of a better word.)
  • Geno has a lot of tiny details piling up, along with the occasional rumor or alleged leak, which leads people to believe they could happen, whereas the others just had new game reveal so people begin to believe they're likely.
  • Geno's "evidence" is entirely contextual to him and him alone, whereas the "evidence" used for the others is identical, no matter who it's applied to.
  • Geno's "evidence" is largely dismissed as far-reaching conspiracy theories, whereas the "evidence" used for the others is treated almost like a rule of the universe.
especially since Monster Hunter was already seen as incredibly likely, the new games just added to it. Check people's thoughts before the reveals; not much has really changed, people think Monster Hunter is likely but..they already kinda did?
Ehh, I guess, but it doesn't change that this kind of effect still happens with that series, which was ultimately my point.

For Ryu, again, he was already seen as likely prior to the Shifty leaks; even before Shifty said that, he was already seen as incredibely likely because..let's face it, he's an NES star with a huge legacy and Koei Tecmo has no reps in Smash; he just makes sense to put into Smash.
No offense, but that's some serious revisionist history. Ryu was about as widely discussed as Terry was before the latter was leaked. That is to say, not very much. I rarely, if ever, heard anyone mention Ryu prior to IAmShifty's post.

BoTW has a lot of content in Ultimate, yeah. But that doesn't mean you can't add more into the game just because it already has a lot of content; that's bull****.
Never said they couldn't, just that it was unlikely for a variety of reasons.

Oh, Zelda's moveset might be exaggerated in Warriors? Doesn't mean she can't have one! Hell, you could incorporate the SheikahSlate and all that it can do super easily, and also, ZELDA CAN SUMMON A PHANTOM IN NORMAL SMASH EVEN THOUGH SHE'S ONLY ABLE TO DO THAT AS A GHOST IN CANON. I DON'T THINK THE DEV TEAM GIVES A DAMN ABOUT EXAGERRATION OR NOT.
My point wasn't that BotW!Zelda couldn't have a moveset. Rather, it was that BotW!Zelda typically isn't a fighter, which was the reason Sakurai provided as to why he chose a more traditional Zelda over BotW!Zelda. The guy I had initially said that to had told me that her having a moveset in Age of Calamity made her more likely for Smash, and I basically said that it didn't reall matter one way or the other.

You saying all that **** about Zelda not happening? Byleth exists. And counters, ya know, all of that? Nintendo has released promo characters, and again, the fighter's pass is chosen by NINTENDO AND SAKURAI. If Nintendo wants to promote Age of Calamity, they can do that rather easily...
Sure they could, but how likely do you think that is? According to most everyone in this thread at least, it's practically 0% across the board. Byleth existing doesn't mean anything either way.

Also, ..DID YOU SERIOUSLY SAY THAT REX IS MORE LIKELY BECAUSE OF LEWDS? ARE..Are you insane?
Yes I did, because that's a very super serious point I was making and it was totally not silly or sarcastic whatsoever. Holy ****, are you kidding me?

Also saying that X is the stepchild is kiiiinda ignoring that to a lot of the Xenoblade fanbase, it's 2 that's the stepchild, not X. 2, surprise surprise, isn't very popular among the Xenoblade community, while X is. So again, you're kinda straight up wrong here.
Oh, It isn't? Well, I guess all of the rave reviews, positive word-of-mouth, stellar sales, oodles of fanart, and entire DLC campaign which was also well recieved and sold well doesn't mean anything? Okay, whatever you say, mate.

ROY AND CORRIN ARE THE ONLY PROMO CHARACTERS? ARE...Are you literally insane? Lemme just, uh, check the other promo characters real quick..Hmm...
oh yeah. Byleth. Incineroar. Greninja. Luminary (come on that entire Sakurai Presents was a giant Dragon Quest 11 ad). Are...Are you serious here? Roy and Corrin aren't the only promotional characters in the game, that's actually straight up dumb.
Oh, well I meant in terms of coming to Smash to advertise their upcoming game. All of those characters joined Smash well after their games came out.

And saying that Sora will end up just like Cloud when you yourself profess to have never played a Kingdom Hearts game is straight up idiotic.
First off, that's my opinion, and I'm allowed to have it. Secondly, it's not entirely unfounded. Someone had told me to watch HMK's Sora moveset video, since he's a very big Kingdom Hearts fan and would probably be able to come up with something very creative for him. His moveset concept was basically Cloud with Bayonetta combos and Hero's magic system. Not gonna lie, I find that rather boring.

And you straight up admitting to being an asshole reaaaaally doesn't help your case here. Straight up admitting to being toxic to people because their character was deconfirmed is not okay. Period.
You, uhh... DO know that this section was entirely sarcastic, right?
I wasn't actually admitting to being an asshole here, I was being sarcastic because a lot of people read that comment as me ****ting on Travisbros when I wasn't. No offense, but do you legit not get sarcasm or something? I mean, I tried to make it as clear as possible that I was being sarcastic, but I guess I didn't try hard enough?

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
The Stretchers

This one's a stretch. Definitely not the front runner of the indies and as an indie they're chances are already very slim to begin with.

First off I have nothing against them personally. Even thought they would be hilarious it would anger me greatly for them to get in over everyone else. If they somehow made it in I would be saltier than the Pacific because it would prove indies can make it... BUT NOT ANY MEANINGFUL INDIES LIKE HORNET!

Noms: Impa x5
Predict : 1%

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Stretchers

Indie + Western = pretty much non-existent. It has none of advantage Minecraft got. No fan demand, legacy, sales.... nothing from what I've seen. It's too new for Nintendo to pick up. I would be surprised these guys even show up as Spirit, let alone playable character. There is little to no merit for adding these characters. It will discourage people from buying fighter pass. There is limit to how much unexpected newcomer can bring surprise. This isn't a good way to do that.

Want: 15%

I looked through video to see how these duo would perform. I can see some wacky and funny moveset out of them. Like everyone saying, I can see Ice Climber 2.0. Still, slots are limited, and there are far more interesting and deserving characters out there.

Nom: Neptune x 10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just want to point out that, while The Stretchers was indeed developed by a Western indie studio, it's published and owned by Nintendo. It's a first party title (or second party, if we're using online lingo). It's not a complete game-changer, but it does make it different from any random indie game.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Full abstain for today. I hadn't heard about them before now. Though the idea of this kinda character in Smash is pretty funny.

Noms: Adol Christin x5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Their inclusion is a stretch of the imagination

Let's start with the positives. The game is owned and published by Nintendo. That's all the positives. Now for the negatives: An incredibly small-scale title that was released late last year with little fanfare, to the point where its launch trailer didn't even break 100k views. The game has no large following, has left no noteworthy impact, and is already largely forgotten. The only way it could receive playable representation is via a surprise niche character in the base roster, but not as part of a DLC pass. It's absolutely not going to happen.

Normally I'd abstain here, on account of not having played the game. . . but nah. I may not care much for the vast majority of all characters that are commonly thrown around in speculation these days, but I'd still rather have a third-party character from a game series that I've at least heard of than a pair of characters from a game that you'd have to be pretty charitable towards to even call it "niche". And even with regards to the possibility of a "surprise character" (or whatever the term was that Sakurai himself used). . . I mean, take a look at past surprise characters. Mr Game & Watch was a representative of Nintendo's early history, as was R.O.B.. Duck Hunt was from a wildly successful NES game that still was rather widely known in the modern day because of the dog's infamy and memes. Wii Fit Trainer meanwhile was a clearly-branded representative of the Wii's more casual output. And lastly, Piranha Plant was a mook that has been around since the first Mario Bros. game. None of these are legacies that the Stretchers could live up to.

Nominating Concept: A Bravely Default character x10.

Predicting Amiya to get around 0.17%.

Also, ..DID YOU SERIOUSLY SAY THAT REX IS MORE LIKELY BECAUSE OF LEWDS? ARE..Are you insane? Also saying that X is the stepchild is kiiiinda ignoring that to a lot of the Xenoblade fanbase, it's 2 that's the stepchild, not X. 2, surprise surprise, isn't very popular among the Xenoblade community, while X is. So again, you're kinda straight up wrong here. Again. And also, your points against Zelda work against Rex too.
Uh, look, I may be the #1 person most critical of Xenoblade 2 on this board (aside from maybe Gwen), but I really wouldn't say that 2 "is not very popular among the Xenoblade community" by any stretch of the imagination. By the sheer virtue of being released on the Switch in its launch year, 2 was just a lot more successful than X, since that one released on the Wii U. As for fandom reception, there's plenty of people who are fans of the entire series that like 2, far too many to really call it "unpopular".
That said, that guy's take of calling X the "red-headed stepchild" is still as bad as ever.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Amiya from Arknights (not to be confused with Arkham Knight)

Predict Hades from Kid Icarus.

Today is the last day you can affect the top 7 so use your noms wisely.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the Arknights mood:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Amiya

Her game released exclusively in China in May of 2019, which was probably around the time Nintendo already knew who was going to be in Fighters Pass 2. Arknights did eventually get a worldwide release in January of 2020, but that was well after the second pass had already been decided on. If Takamaru was too internationally obscure for SSB4, why would Sakurai add a character whose game wasn’t even available in Japan at the time? If they were looking to add a character that would attract the Chinese playerbase, there are much better options like a League of Legends character. As for gacha reps, there are also a lot of better choices like a character from Granblue Fantasy or Fate: Grand Order.

Never heard of this character (or game) until today. I'm trying to find a category where I'd be glad Amiya made it in but I just can't. I'm not too crazy in the gacha scene, but I do know there are much more deserving characters of that genre. Granblue and Fate are two that come to mind, and for personal preference I wouldn't mind getting a Fire Emblem Heroes character. When it comes to characters in the tower defense genre I'd prefer a Plants vs. Zombies character or a Bloons monkey. Heck she can't even be my most wanted bunny character because Cinderace would beat her there. So really she's just a character that doesn't appeal to me at all especially with so many better options out there.

-----

Hades chance prediction: 5.40%

Nominations:
Concept: The remaining SSB4 DLC Mii Costumes return (or get a deluxe enhancement) x10

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Amiya, the Arknight.... does that joke works? I have no idea what goes on in Arknight beynod what Wikipedia tells me, and it's not much. Wait, I saw a gaemplay video of it once, I think. Ok. I don't think that Amiya was even in it. Why is this title so long?

Released in May 2019 for China and for the rest of the world in January 2020? Congraclatin Amiya, you and your entire game are part of the "my game is super popular but it released far too late to be considered as part of Ultimate's current dlc", a very prestigious club where you can also meet with Akira Howard (AAAAAAAAAH) and the Stretchers. Yeah, she gets a 0 because of the timing of her game, and even if Nintendo really wanted a character from a chinese company, why not just a character from Leagues of Legends, a game that is a thing since 2009, like Minecraft (never has a simple google search made me feel as old as this, and I'm just 19), and who is also way more popular, and also Tencent is doing a Pokemon MOBA which is kinda a big thing in term of having a good relationship with Nintendo even if it's more related to Gamefreak and the Pokemon Company than Nintendo themselves, especialy since I'm pretty sure that this was before Gamefreak moved to Nintendo's hq, but whatever, back to Amiya, the timing of the international release of Arknights and how LoL is a thing kills any hope that she could have to get in Smash in my opinion.

Want: 55%

Oh my god she is so adorable with her cute bunny ears and her cool floaty oversized jacket that makes her even cutter and she jus thas a modern look that is just cool yet makes her so cute, must protect! ...Anyway, despite my no knowledge of Arknights, I love her design and I find her adorable. And also, according to gamepress, she is a caster class, which means magic which means fun moveset that gets runed by campers online that just spams their fricking side b and neutral b over and over again, but she could still be very fun to play has whic salvages her. And she also seems to have summoneable swords, which is cool and also a motorcycle, which is also cool, and also pillars of darkness, which is once again cool. To note, everything I say is based on her data and artworks on gamepress, meaning that it's more than likely extremly innacurate. But still, her design still makes her ok in my book, because I just find her adorable.

Nominations

Cynthia x10

Predictions

Hades: 4.2%

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Amiya

Chance 0 - Game didn't get a full worldwide release until this year. That feels like an easy miss of the cutline right there. Even if you take into account the Chinese release in 2019 I'm still not sure if that makes the cut off point either, but it's scrapping way too close for my liking. Also like others have brought up, if Sakurai won't add characters whos games aren't released worldwide yet there's no chance he'll go for one that wasn't even released in Japan yet. I also don't think there's anywhere she really stands out. If we're going for moble reps Euden feels like the most likely while a whole host of others are more iconic. If we're aiming for China or just non console gaming reps in general then there's even more ahead of her. Don't think there's even a remote chance of this happening.

Want 0 - Like I've said before, I do not want mobile game characters in Smash. Outside of a very few exceptions there's not many I think deserve it. I also just don't really enjoy the genre. For me to even consider wanting a mobile character they have to be beyond iconic and have something special about them and I just can't see it here at all.

Predictions:
Hades 13%

Noms:
TRex Runner x10

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Amiya

I do not see a timeline where this character gets in. Arknights was exclusive to China for almost a full year until it got an international release in 2020. We all know how Sakurai feels about internationally obscure characters and the international release did not happen until after this fighters pass was decided. Now why would they take the chance on a rep from a game that wasn't even available to people outside of one country that isn't even Japan? Not to mention it's not even on the Switch. And just like what Sari said, if they wanted a game to appeal to the Chinese market, League of Legends is a much better choice. And while I don't know anything about Dragalia Lost, it seems like it would be a better choice for a mobile rep considering that it's published by Nintendo. In my eyes, this character is a no-hoper.

Want: Abstain

Haven't played it so I'll give it the good ol' abstain like usual. Though I will say that in terms of tower defense games, I would be much more hyped for Plants vs Zombies.

Prediction: Hades - 11%

Noms: Arthur x10

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Amageish beat me to the Gacha pun

0% Chance

Look, Arknights, from my limited research, is a decently big mobile game. We are not talking huge huge, but it is pretty big. But it was exclusive to China for a good while and did not break out of it until 2020. So the timing is already not in Amiya's favor. But it is obvious to me if we are getting a Gacha character, she is not first in line. Euden, a Granblue character, and Saber both have stronger claims there.

Fate has a stranglehold over the gacha market, it is by far the biggest gacha game. As much as I personally would prefer Saber to not be in smash, it is something that realistically could happen. If I made a list of the five characters I think this thread routinely underrates, Saber would likely clock on there. And keep in mind, I do not like gacha when I say that.

Granblue is another one of the biggest gachas. I know fake leaks are not something to talk about, but remember in 2018 when everyone thought that due to Verge saying that he knew another leaker heard about Katalina from GBF that we all started going doom and gloom? Now obviously, that did not happen, but but Cygames does have one advantage over fate...

The fact they developed Dragalia Lost for Nintendol. Euden has a solid chance due to Dragalia Lost being a Nintendo game with no strong representation in Smash yet. I could easily see him being a shill first party choice/gacha character.

Sorry Amiya, better luck in the future.

0% Want

I will say this, Arknights has cute commercials. That one commercial with the penguin in that bar that gets shot up, with that one song? That is a good commercial. Outside of that though there is no emotional connection for the character for me. Spots are limited. This also is not helped by the fact I am not a fan of gacha. It is hypocritical for me to say that as a Hearthstone whale, but gacha games are something I do not vibe with.

Coco as Crash's Echo/Alt Costume x 10

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
nooo you can't just put a mobile game bunny girl into Smash
haha bunny girl go avada kedavra (Amiya)

(That second one might be bordering on spoilers...? I don't think it is, but anyone who's gotten up to this point in the story will know what it's about.)

Chance: 5%...at best.
I wish I could give her something better, but I can't. 5% is me being generous and biased. If I removed both of that, I'd be giving her measly 0.1%. Yostar has had little, if pretty much no, interaction with Nintendo, and the latter as far as I know isn't that much interested in mobile gaming reps in Smash. Arknights is arguably just as popular as Fate/Grand Order, it's primary competitor in the genre, but unfortunately Arknights lacks the sheer legacy value that Fate has. She does represent a genre that has probably never been in Smash before: Tower-Defense.

The one good thing about this complete lack of evidence for and against Amiya is that she'd be completely out-of-left-field. Amiya is far from confirmed, but she damn sure hasn't been disconfirmed, either. She's practically the face of her game, really the only competition she has to get past in her own industry is Fate's Saber. Unfortunately, she then has to get through the truckloads of other characters clamoring for a spot in Smash.

The biggest hurt is how new she is in the gaming scene, especially worldwide. Arknights was originally China-exclusive and didn't make it into the worldwide mobile gaming community until several months ago. Gacha game players prefer Saber, and Chinese players prefer a LoL rep. Arknights is too new to the gaming industry to really stand much of a chance.

She does have a surprising amount of popularity - enough that Alpharad even made a video about it. (CDawgVA did too, but this is the Smash community we're talking about.)

Want: 95%
Which is honestly a shame.

When I first nominated Amiya, I can honestly say that I did not expect her to get much of a chance. But I wanted to see how she'd fare in today's "Everyone is here" world of Smash speculation. (Not very well, unfortunately.)

I also love Arknights. Of all the gacha games I've played, there was one thing about Arknights that pulled me in, the one thing that set it above every other gacha game I've played: the lore. Something about being a doctor in a near-apocalyptic world where natural disasters are common, cities can literally move, and a powerful material also happens to be the cause of a disease that enhances your magical powers but also kills you eventually and has no known cure yet? I also fell in love with the game's corporate-military style, and with many of it's Operators.

Above all, Amiya getting in Smash would prove once and for all that everyone can be in Smash, and just absolutely NUKE the Internet (just like Amiya does in Arknights when her Skill 2 or 3 is up). Anime bunny girl from mobile gacha game? People would lose their minds.

And moveset potential. Did you know that in the CN server, Amiya is possibly going to have alternate Guard version? Here's a screenshot from the PV for Story Chapter 8, where Amiya wielding a sword (right, front) can be seen:

amiya is a guard.png

Noms: Reimu x10

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Amiya

I'm late only to beat the dead horse... like everyone repeated, I say this is Takamura Chinese version. Very late world wide release spells doom already. Nintendo has already its gacha rep to shill. And that is fair successful worldwide afaik. Considering FP2 was already settled before this game's worldwide release, Nintendo has no reason to alienate or cause players to scratch their heads. There is difference between surprising but acceptable and downright wtf and unacceptable. And people forget importance of relationship. It's not just about having games on Nintendo system. What kind of relationship did this developer have with Nintendo? None from what I've seen.

Fierce competition is reason enough. If I have to pick tower defense genre, I would go with Crazy Dav. At least, EA has certain degree of relationship with Nintendo. It's much better than none.

Nom: Neptune x 10

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Abstain
Never seen the character before, and I stay away from gacha games.

Predict Hades: 1.5%

Nominations
Beat (Jet Set Radio) x5

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Amiya

Chance: 0% -
When this character was first nominated I had to google her to know even who she was, and after that my only experience with her was a singular Youtube ad on my phone. And I'm confident she doesn't even have the slightest chance. She was exclusive to China for over a year, and if your game isn't even available in Japan then how the h*** is Sakurai supposed to play it? Furthermore, her and her developer have no relation to Nintendo whatsoever and are mobile exclusive. Let's not forget competition, with much bigger (and equally detestable) mobile games, along with Nintendo's OWN mobile game which they would more than likely choose to shill instead. And if they wanted to get into the Chinese market, well there's other games that are MUCH bigger, have legacies, and are from companies that have a relationship with Nintendo. I really don't see any reason why Nintendo would go for Amiya, especially with such limited slots. No legacy, no Nintendo connection, no fan demand, no reason to be in Smash.

Want: 0%--- - I can't possibly give a lower score. The moment I looked her up and saw the quote "Let's get my five-star caster nominated!", I immediately got so sick I threw up buckets. Gacha waifu collecting has got to be one of the worst, most god-awful trends on the market, and one I've had nothing but bad experiences with. It has brought no positives whatsoever, and only doesn't get the same flak loot boxes get because of cute girl designs. It is downright predatory and has led to people dumping thousands of dollars on PNG files. Let's not forget the complete lack of inspiration these games typically have, especially once the Chinese companies have gotten in on it. Arknights is just following the leader set by Azur Lane and Girls Frontline, which in turn followed Granblue (grindy garbage) and Fate GO (it's own can of worms, and how it botches historical figures. And this is coming from someone who loves the Nuclear Gandhi meme), which in turn followed the transitional game Kantai Collection (a game that made me miserable for two years and ALSO has it's own massive can of worms). Amiya's not even notable among this group! Blow money, collect girls, usually a person or thing made into some kind of gijinka. Souless, predatory, and has had nothing but a negative impact. This is not the kind of thing that should be honored with a Smash slot, and being a cute girl doesn't make up for it. I'm sorry, but no way in h*** is anyone going to convince me that this character is somehow a good idea. I have little to no care for games like these and I'm equally disinterested in seeing them in Smash.

Nominations:
Don-chan x5
4x Strategy Rep x5

Predictions:
Hades - 10,75% - Predicting some somewhat decent scores, but with no Kid Icarus games on the horizon I don't see much faith.

The one good thing about this complete lack of evidence for and against Amiya is that she'd be completely out-of-left-field.
I fail to see how this is a good thing. Arlo's statement really didn't age well, and even then, Nintendo's not going to make a bad financial decision just for the sake of "being left-field".

Last edited:

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Abstain

I would give the double 0's but I'm not going to repeat what everyone else said.

Noms: Impa x5
Predict: 4%

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Double zeroes

This game released in May 2019, and only in China. I severely doubt that a game releasing worldwide at that point in time could qualify, but that's not even the worst part. It didn't even release in other territories until this year, definitely after the cutoff date. And it's not out in Japan, the country where Smash is developed. If Sakurai was reluctant to add characters that lack worldwide recognition, he sure as hell won't consider this game. Add to that the fact that it's not on the Switch, and there's zero connection between the devs and Nintendo. It doesn't appear to have found much success outside of China. So all in all I don't know what its claim to fame would be. Even if we're just looking at mobile gachas (a very narrow category, and one that by default faces significant disadvantages), there's several others that are more famous and successful, not least of which is Dragalia Lost - AKA the one Nintendo owns. This isn't getting in.

And thank God for that. I haven't played Arknights, but it's a Chinese gacha for phones. Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy, to put it nicely. Nor is it something that should get in Smash. Should Chinese games get into Smash? Sure, when they make something that has a positive impact on the industry. Should mobile games get into Smash? There's an argument to be made for it, I'm not exactly hoping for it but some have made their marks and deserve to be recognized for it. But should gachas get into Smash? I say no, they shouldn't. It's a heinous business model that preys on people who are prone to addiction. Everyone's probably heard stories about people spending ludicrous amounts of money on these games, and I personally know people whose lives have been impacted by them, so I won't mince words: it's a business model that deserves to be outlawed, not celebrated.

I have nothing against this game specifically nor towards its fans, I'm sure the lore and story is very interesting and unique. But I could never accept a game like it getting into Smash.

Noms: Scorpion x10
Hades prediction: I'm looking forward to discussing this guy, even if I wish the scores were higher. 6.66%

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
A reminder: today's the last day before the top seven gets locked. Use your noms wisely!

Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x254
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x245
Concept: A Bravely Default character x240
Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins) x230
Adol Christin x225
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x211
Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x205

200 - 151

Alex Mason x190
Impa (Age of Calamity) x185
Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x155

150 - 101

[Rerate] Frisk x150
Concept: Coco as Crash's Echo/Costume x150
Red (Angry Birds) x125
D.Va x115
[Rerate] Maxwell x115
[Rerate] Chibi-Robo x115
Miriam x115
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x104

100 - 51

Zero (Mega Man) x95
Hajime Hinata x95
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x93
Boss: Ender Dragon x88
Riptor x85
[Rerate] The Knight x85
Stage: Bowser's Castle x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
[Rerate] Arle Nadja x80
Fulgore x79
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Don-chan x75
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x70
Concept: Rocket League rep x70
Giygas x65
Boss: Rayquaza x65
Cynthia (Pokémon) x65
Carl Johnson x60
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) x60
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Concept: Fortnite character x55
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
[Rerate] Monokuma x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Magolor x55
John Marston x55
Jin Sakai x55
Ghirahim x55
Echo (Olimar) x51

50 - 25

Concept: The remaining SSB4 DLC Mii Costumes return (or get the deluxe treatment) x50
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x30
Crazy Dave x30
Tetra x25
T-Rex Runner x25

Under 25

Ryza (Atelier) x20
Qbby x20
Echo (Bowser) x20
Yarn Yoshi x15
Concept: A Challenger Pack with 2 Fighters x15
Billy & Jimmy Lee x15
Tetris x10
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
Stage: Tetris x5
[Rerate] Agumon x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x5
[Rerate] Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x5
Mii Costume: Monika x5
Concept: A 4X strategy rep x5

Carl Johnson and Scorpion get over 50 noms each.

T-Rex Runner runs to 25 noms.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Raise your hand if you had to Google this one
Double zeroes
So Arknights is a mobile exclusive gatcha game
, not affiliated with Nintendo in any way, that was only accessible to Chinese audiences untill after the pass was finalized, even Japan had to wait. It also seems to only be popular in its country of origin, certainly no Fate. Not to mention that Nintendo already has some mobile gatchas under their belt with Dragalia Lost and Granblue I think, and last I've heard, Nintendo's planning to phase out of the mobile market anyway. They'd have zero reason to go for it. Safe to say, it stands no chance. Not even as something as minor as a Spirit. And that's no skin of my back. I don't want a mobile game character. I don't want a gatcha game character. And, to put it nicely, I don't care for any characters from Chinese games. (I really hope that doesn't sound xenophobic btw) A character combining all three of those aspects is something that does not appeal to me in the slightest. I have no idea who this Amiya character is but it doesn't really matter. I'd just prefer to have anything gatcha be kept out of Smash.

Hades: 6.24%
The Knight x10

Last edited:

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
So I noticed that the primary thing everybody dislikes about Arknights is the gacha part. I'm not denying that the whole idea of the gacha business model is bad, because really, it is. But one thing I want to point out:

Arknights is one of those games where, if you can look past the whole gacha aspect, the whaling and rolling and that kind of stuff, then it's a good game. The gameplay of Arknights, in particular, is one designed in such a way that the one thing you need to win isn't luck or money - it's skill. The strongest high-rarity Operators won't help you if you don't know how to use them. I can say this as a player who has not spent a single dime on Arknights, and loving it nonetheless.

I wrote in more detail on the Amiya thread, but you get the idea.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Amiya

Chance: 5% at the most. Her chance of getting in Smash is rather low, due to her being a more obscure character. But then again, we have seen certain fighters get in years before, so it might not be impossible, but it’s best not to hold our breath.

Want: 50%. I never heard of this franchise until now, hence my 50% rating. Disputes this, she would be fun to play as, her joining in would increase the knowlage about that game. Overall, she would be a decent choice for a Smash Bros rep.

Prediction: Hades (10%)

Noms: 5 for Boss: Rayquaza

Top Bottom