• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Billy Hatcher, the 1st base coach of the Miami Marlins

Chance 3 - Don't expect this but not impossible I suppose. Let's stast on the positives. His game was well recieved and he's also been in multiple Sega crossover games. However, I feel like if we're going back to Sega it's either gonna be another Sonic rep, Arle, or Kiyru. The game never got a follow up after 2003 either so it feels safe to say that they may be done with the character.

Want 0 - Yeah I don't want this. Would rather have Eggman or Kiryu for sure. I also have 0 connection to the character and haven't even heard of him before now so I don't have a ton of interest here either.

Predictions
Jason and Sophia - 1.32

Noms
Riptor x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Billy Hatcher

Chance: 1%

Never say never I suppose but I just do not see this happening. Sure the game got good reviews and Billy has made appearances in modern games but that's it. To my knowledge Sega has no intention of making another game and right now Billy only has one game from 2003 under his belt. Not to mention he is not very requested for Smash and overall if we get another Sega rep, I think it will be either a Shin Megami Tensei character, Arle Nadja, Kiryu or Axel Stone. Looking at the competition, those aren't favorable odds.

Want: Abstain

Never played the game so I can't comment.

Prediction: Jason and Sophia - 2%

Noms: Arthur x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
More like Billy Bitcher

Hey, never say never, but I don't see how Billy gets in over all his competition. He's a one-game wonder, even if that game is pretty good. While Sega likes to have him in their crossovers, he lacks relevance, historical significance, scope, a fanbase. With the likes of Shin Megami Tensei, Yakuza, Puyo Puyo, and Streets of Rage in the mix, I'd say Billy's pretty much a no-hoper. Even with those out of the way I don't know if Billy'd get over a retro Sega series like Altered Beast or Space Channel 5 or ToeJam & Earl. It's just in a weird place unfortunately. I think Billy can hope for a Mii Costume at best.

Want: 10%
I like the game but he's not really Smash material. I'd rather get other Sega characters. Plus he kinda overlaps with Katamari and I really want the Prince.

Now let's hope Balan Wonderworld spawns a franchise...

Noms: Scorpion x10
Jason and SOPHIA prediction: will this finally be the time when a character I nominate gets a good score? of course not that's what Scorpion is for. 5.24%

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Good Morning!

I don't have much to say about Billy in terms of chance that anyone hasn't already said. He's a blip in SEGA's history. Barely anyone even remembers his game, there's no big clamoring for a sequel, he's not featured in any SEGA anniversary artwork. The adventures of Billy Hatcher were a one-and-done deal, and now he fades into obscurity.

Want: 70%

But god DAMN did I love his game. It was one of my favorite childhood games, and I still go back to it every now and then just for ol' times sake. He'll never make it in, not in a million years, and I would prefer other SEGA reps like Kiryu before him, but if he got in, I would be pretty damn excited.

amageish

Smash Master
Billy Hatcher

Chance: 1%. Welp, he has enough content and the corporate ties to technically fit in Smash Bros, therefore he gets a pity 1% from me! Billy has one good game that people like and some have nostalgia for. That's better then what some characters have!

Problem is that being a cameo-centric character owned by SEGA is, uh, not a great position to be in. SEGA is one of those companies that could probably just make their own Smash Bros out of all the IPs they own at this point - and, actually, if they want to make a proper crossover game where they don't shove all of their more Japan-targeted/"anime" IPs into a broom closet like they did with the Sonic and Sega All-Stars series, then I would be very happy.

The real problem is that SEGA has been doing uncharacteristically well with their original IPs lately, honestly... Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is coming out next month with the franchise's international audience experiencing steady growth. Streets of Rage 4 did really well for itself, both critically and financially. Sakura Wars has been growing an international audience that it lacked before. Panzer Dragoon got a remake that, while not loved by everyone, did pretty well for itself all things considered. Shenmue III had the usual "people found it a bit outdated" problem that comes with a lot of retro throwbacks, but most fans seemed to enjoy it from what I've seen. Space Channel 5 is back in VR, if nothing else. Yakuza is a franchise slowly making its way into the mainstream as well. And, heck, ATLUS is somehow pulling off a worldwide release for SMTV next year and is doing pretty well for itself in general...

So, I just don't see them going back to pick up Billy for Smash at this point in time..

Want: Abstain. Can't say I have an opinion on him. I honestly confused him with Alex Kidd when we were doing predictions...

Noms: Stingray Mii Costume x 10
Predictions: You know, Inti Creates is surprisingly overlooked in terms of potential indie cameo options... but I don't expect them getting a playable character. 3%.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Billy Hatcher

Chance: 2%

Yeah... I don't see it happening... at most, he would Spirit. From what I have researched, Billy's pretty much done. No sequel. Pretty much zero fan demand. There are still other heavy hitters like Kiryu, Arle or even Demifiend. Neither Nintendo nor Sega has any reason to go back to him. It doesn't make sense financially or for any other reason whatsoever. If they revived Billy years ago, we may talk about his chance. For now, I just can't see him being playable.

Want: Abstain. I never got into this game, so I can't comment.

Predict: 4%
Nom: Neptune x 10

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Billy Hatcher

Chance: 0%
Arle Nadja, Axel Stone, Kiryu Kazuma, and Sakura Amamiya. These are just a few of the names that Billy Hatcher has to compete with when it comes to Sega characters. All of those names are more popular/relevant so there is no way Billy is getting in over them. He hasn't appeared in a crossover in a long time and doesn't seem to have much fan demand for Smash. Best I can see happening for him is a Mii costume (which would actually work extremely well given that Billy is wearing a costume himself).

Want: 1%
I haven't played his original game, though I do know of Billy through a few other Sega titles plus I also had this McDonalds Billy Hatcher game as a kid for whatever that's worth. Normally I'd abstain because of me not playing Billy's main game, however Billy is a Sega character. If he gets in then he'd pretty much kill the chances of Axel and Arle who are among my most wanted characters. Not to mention I'd still want a ton of other Sega reps over Billy as well such as Kiryu, Eggman, etc. I did look at gameplay of the original Billy Hatcher game and can conclude Billy wouldn't be completely awful if he actually got in. He's far from the worst possible Smash pick out there, but at the same time he's also far from just about every other potential Sega character.

-----

Blaster Master chance prediction: 4.50%

Nominations:
Concept: The remaining SSB4 DLC Mii Costumes return (or get a deluxe enhancement) x10

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
G I N T EE G (or rather, G.I.A-N.T. E.G.G)

Chance: 0%. Billy Hatcher is a character devoid of strengths in the harsh, money making world of DLC. Arle and Kiryu beat him in every single regard for Smash candidacy, and how. Axel Stone, Sakura Shinguji, the Demi-fiend, even a Phantasy Star rep like Alis all beat him too, in fact I'd say almost as badly. On his own, he has negligible requests, is from a franchise that hasn't seen ANYTHING since '03, and only ever shows up for the odd cameo now and then. His only chance was in Brawl, when his game was still somewhat new, and then he had to compete with Sonic the mother****ing Hedgehog. Perhaps the single most one-sided competition set in Smash history. I guess he passes in the moveset department, so I'd believe he, like anybody, had a chance if Sakurai was picking. Alas, he is not, so the good egg boy is toast when SEGA has much more appealing picks. When you aren't even the front runner for your own development studio... (this is assuming secondary Sonic reps aren't happening. If they are, well, this guy is absolutely toast.) (Well, unless somebody on the dev team had been begging for this to happen. But we have no way of proving that.)

Best I can see is a Mii Costume. Probably Gunner, but Brawler is a possibility too. I think he's noteworthy enough for at least that, like Goemon.

Want: 0%. Come on, this is a SEGA rep. Pretty much writes itself. Even if we can't have Arle, there's no business for this guy getting in over Kiryu at all. Not in relevance, requests, iconicness, importance to gaming... even in moveset potential, Kiryu would be unique too. NOTHING that Billy has is worth it. Nothing personal though. I never beat it, but I did play his game on emulator after wanting to do so for years, and... it's alright. I kind of expected better, but hey, it's an okay title. I just think he has no business getting in right now.

Arle and CJ x 5 each.

Last edited:

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
Abstaining.

Noms:
Well, great, Amiya's in! Now, I want to see how Touhou stands after Steve, and the Xion Echo day got me thinking...
Marisa Kirisame as Reimu Hakurei's Echo x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Billy the kid
This little dude really feels like the Klonoa of Sega characters except that Klonoa might actually be more popular. Billy also has a single game to his name, generally considered "Okay" with barely any rereleases. It's not even on Steam. He has to rely on crossovers to stay relevant and his latest cameo (according to Wikipedia) was back in the original Sonic&SEGA All-Stars Racing from 10 years ago. SEGA is really showing some love to its IPs as of late yet Billy Hatcher seems to be the egg-ception. Saying that he'd be murdered by the competition implies he's even in the running at all.

Want: 0%
I haven't played the game and it looks like won't be able to at all. Gamecube version isn't easy to find and implies a huge price tag and my device does not support PC CD-roms. Any outcome wouldn't be worth it for a 7/10 game. I am not a huge SEGA dude, though I am willing to change that, but c'mon! Billy Hatcher? Over Dr Eggman? Arle? Kiryu? Jet Set Radio? Not a chance! I'll pass.

Jason and SOPHIA: 3.59%
The Knight x10

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Goooood Morning!

chances: 1% he's so not happening. while his game has become something of a cult classic its poor sales prevented it from becoming a full franchise. now he has popped up for the odd crossover here and there but im not sure that would add up to anything. there probably isnt some kind of order the sega characters would have to come in, you know this guy before this guy sort of thing, cause if there was i dont think the last two sega characters we got would have been on top. as for being suggested by nintendo im not they would have, theres no real pattern to the characters that got in as a result of their suggestions so theres no real way to tell. if he had had a hit switch title then he certainly would have been. and lastly theres very little support for him for smash. not that there was much for joker

want: 90% he would be so awesome. you can all say things like he wouldnt fit or he doesnt have potential but you know thats never stopped most of the other characters. maybe having him rolling an egg across the battle field would seem impractical but i imagine many would have said the same about steve's crafting table. i adored the GC game and would love to see some of it in smash. a moveset based on ramming people with eggs and attacking with animal buddies would be great. music and stage he would bring would be great too. this is a real missed opportunity.

nominate chibi-robo x5 and qbby x5

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Blly Hatcher, Eggman's long lost son

Chance: 0.1%

I agree with the notion of him pretty much being Sega's Klonoa. He's a platformer protagonist that acchieved a cult classic status, but in term of Smash, he just has no chancs. Not only is his game not that popular despite being a cult classic sinc it did not sell really well, but on top of that, just like Klonoa, why would Nintendo pick him over another Sega/Atlus character. To be a new Sega character in Smash, he has to compete with an SMT character (much more notoriety, importance to gaming history, had many games on Nintendo systems, and both Nocturne HD and SMTV are upcoming games), Arle Nadja (much more popular, especaly in Japan, including in Smash speculation, and is also much older and more important to gaming history), Kiryu (he's Kiryu from Yakuza he's awesome, and much, much more popular), Nights (literaly the same case as Billy but more popular and would bring a more innovative gameplay), and if you count her, Hatsune Miku. There's really no way for him to get in Smash over any of them except Miku if you don't count her. And I also probably missed a lot of them. While it is true that Bayonneta got in over all of them too, she also not only had Bayonneta 2 as a Wii U exclusive game at that time, but Nintendo also had pretty much adopted her the previous year, while Billy is still one of the orphans Sega left behind.

Want: 65%

His game is alright, I guess. Nothing too special from what I remember, but still pretty good. I don't remember it too much, execpte that it was alright, even if not on the level of SA1, SA2, Sonic Unleashed, or Sonic Generations when it comes to 3D platformers by Sega, but it was still fun. He could have a really interesting moveset considering his egg based moveset in his game as that's quite literaly what he's based off, at least way more literaly than Eggman, another Sega character based of eggs.

Predictions

Jason and Sophia: 5.3%
(also I must say that I was way off for the Deltarune content prediction, and this pleasantly surprised me)

Nominations:

Cynthia x10

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Okaaaaaaay okayyyyy okaaaa-goddammit the egg fell

Chance: 0% Let's face it, Billy's dead, roadkill, never to be seen again. He left no real impact as far as I can tell like countless seemingly forgotten Sega classics and Sega's current revitalization of forgotten franchises hasn't included him or anything from his era. To make matter worse, the competition is huge with Sonic, Bayonetta and Joker having already gotten in Smash. It's so easy to get another Sonic character, another Bayonetta character, another Persona character, a SMT character and Akira from Virtua Fighter. Outside of franchises already somewhat involved there's still countless franchises like Yakuza, Streets of Rage, Shenmue, Golden Axe, NiGHTS, Space Channel 5, Jet Set Radio, Alex Kidd, the fact that this list keeps going on means Billy would need an absolutsly immense miracle

Want: 0% I did not enjoy my time playing his game. Admittedly it's been a decade but even when giving it an extra chance by watching LPs and reviews, I remain convinced that Billy Hatcher isn't worth my time when SEGA has countless options I'd vastly prefer, especially when the one reason I even remotely cared about Billy Hatcher to begin with was because Sonic was in it, the I spent 2 euros when I found the game on PC at a store where I also found Gurren Lagann for 2 euros. I only felt cheated out of half of my money that day

Miriam x10

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Billy Hatcher

Chance: 5%. His chance is quite low for multiple reasons, and it’s more likely that the next Sega Rep would be a Sonic character (which itself is long overdue). But then again, we have seen several fighters appear that we did not expect to appear, but it seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Want: 50%. While I prefer a second Sonic rep overall him, Billy Hatcher would still be fun to play as. I can see him in the battlefield with Yoshi and Sonic in a free for all. Overall, he would be a surprising newcomer and a decent Smash Bros Rep.

Prediction: Jason and SOPHIA: 5%

Noms: 5 for Concept: Second F-Zero Rep

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Billy Hatcher
I'm sorry for any fans of his, but this is not happening. Only a single game ever released, with mediocre sales. Even from his own company, he's competing against giants like Sonic, Yakuza and Puyo Puyo for a spot. It also doesn't have a lot of fan demand, compared to other dead Sega series, and in the vast space of gaming history, it's not even visible. The only time he might have had a minuscule chance, is if Sakurai was picking. Unfortunately for Billy, that's not the case for DLC.

Want: 5%
I haven't played the game myself, but the character seemed oddly familiar. Thanks to Sari, I now know. I did play the McDonalds game, though I can't remember how it played.
Even so, I didn't really have a connection with the character.
So I checked out a speedrun of the game, and from what I can tell, it looks like a pretty fun game. I'd be happy if he got into the game, just for how unexpected it would be.

Predict Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA: 2%

Nominations
Adol Christin x10

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
The G.I(A).N.T EGG music is already back in my head.
Most of it has been said. Billy Hatcher just has almost no advantages whatsoever. The one game had about middling success, and SEGA kept using Billy in various crossovers. Despite this though, Billy never got anything beyond the original GameCube release for himself. Not a sequel, not a remake, not even a port, unless you count that 2006 PC one. Even if he wasn't stacked against both current thriving and legacy picks alike from SEGA, things wouldn't be in his favor. The one thing going for him is that SEGA did like using him in crossovers for a while, but it seems that has since faded. Even in that aspect, SEGA has other crossover characters they'd probably like to use. This all sounds pretty negative, but even nowadays the game, and Billy, is remembered in certain circles. So I think that at the very least, he could maybe get a Mii Costume.
Want: 25%
He would be neat as a playable character. I don't think I'd mind it too much, and if SEGA did their own Smash of sorts (which they really could do with how many franchises they have) I'd hope Billy would be there. While I prefer other SEGA characters a lot more myself (Arle, NiGHTS, Axel to name a few) Billy's got his charm.

Nominations: Adol Christin x10
Prediction: 3% for Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA (Sadly, because this'd be very cool.)

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Poached

0.1% Chance

Billy Hatcher is weird. The game is fine, but the issue is the fact that so much competition for a Sega rep exists. First, lets put aside Eggman or Tails or another Sonic rep. You still have Shin Megami Tensei, Yakuza, or Puyo Puyo that are bigger franchises that are, well alive. See, when you are stuck in limbo as a character who had one game you need a lot of fan demand to overcome that. And Billy does not. Even among more niche characters there is competition. Streets of Rage, Nights, Alex Kidd you name it. So we would figuratively have Billy, a character who has not had a game in almost two decades and is not that popular, get in over any of these? Yeah, his chances are scrambled.

0% Want

I played a bit of Billy Hatcher before, but it never caught me. It seems ok, but this is a character I have no emotional connection to. I have no interest in playing his game, unlike say Monster Hunter. We also are potentially getting more and more towards the end of DLC, so a character that would not make me that happy or people I know that happy is gonna get lower marks. Altogether, someone I would not care for much at all. A mii costume would be fine I guess though.

Coco as Crash's Echo/Costume x 10

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
i'm only rating hatcher right now, might do the Giant Egg later

Chance - 0%. I'm parroting what everyone else said. He only had one game that released almost two decades ago. Sega has many more options that would probably do better, both in popularity and in sales numbers. There's really no reason to add him. Maybe if he gets a remake or sequel, Sega's been reviving a lot of series lately, but that would only put him on equal footing with other sega reps.

Want - abstain. Before today, the only time I had heard of this character was in the thumbnail of an Alpharad video. I don't have a gamecube, so I couldn't even play it if I wanted to.

Noms: PMD x5, Maxwell x5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Announcer voice Eggman! . . .Junior?

Bit late to the rating, so I can only really echo the sentiments of other people who've already provided a rating. The competition for Billy is simply far too strong, and his game too obscure. One single title released in the early 2000s, and only cameos since then, with no sequel in sight? That's definitely not a solid basis for being a potential Smash DLC fighter. There's just no incentive for Nintendo or Sakurai and his team to go for this character, especially not with so many other potential characters from Sega.

Want: 0%
Normally I'd abstain here, but since I've seen a review of the game a while ago (Somecallmejohnny's, that is), and still have it present in my mind pretty well, I think I could safely give a rating here. Simply put, I have zero interest in this character, and while I really don't have any familiarity with Sega's other properties, I still know that I'd much rather see most of them before Billy.

Nominating Concept: A Bravely Default character x10.

Predicting Jason & Sophia to get around 2.46%.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x209
Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x205
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x200
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x191
Concept: A Bravely Default character x190
Alex Mason x185
Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins) x185

200 - 151

Impa (Age of Calamity) x165

150 - 101

[Rerate] Frisk x150
Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x150
Adol Christin x130
Red (Angry Birds) x125
Echo: Coco (Crash) x120
D.Va x115
[Rerate] Maxwell x110

100 - 51

Concept: Second F-Zero rep x99
Zero (Mega Man) x95
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x93
[Rerate] Chibi-Robo x90
Miriam x90
Boss: Ender Dragon x83
Stage: Bowser's Castle x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Riptor x80
Fulgore x79
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Hajime Hinata x75
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x70
Concept: Rocket League rep x70
Giygas x65
Boss: Rayquaza x60
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Concept: Fortnite character x55
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
[Rerate] Monokuma x55
Echo (Olimar) x51

50 - 25

Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x50
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x50
Magolor x50
John Marston x50
Jin Sakai x50
Ghirahim x50
Don-chan x50
[Rerate] The Knight x50
[Rerate] Arle Nadja x45
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x30
Carl Johnson x30

Under 25

Ryza (Atelier) x20
Tetra x15
Yarn Yoshi x15
Concept: A Challenger Pack with 2 Fighters x15
Tetris x10
Qbby x10
Billy & Jimmy Lee x10
Cynthia (Pokémon) x10
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) x10
Echo (Bowser) x10
Concept: The remaining SSB4 DLC Mii Costumes return (or get the deluxe treatment) x10
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
Stage: Tetris x5
[Rerate] Agumon x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Crazy Dave x5

Mii Costume: Jill Stingray passes Concept: Content from currently unreleased game, and is now in first place. Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content ventures past Arthur, Concept: A Bravely Default character and Alex Mason to find itself in fourth place; Bravely Default character also fights past Mason and makes it to fifth.

Monokuma has captured over 50 noms.

Challengers approaching! Today we have Crazy Dave with 5 noms and Scorpion with 10.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Billy Hatcher

I know I'm the one who nominated him, but I agree he isn't happening. His game was one-and-done, and hasn't even be rereleased on newer consoles. While he did make crossover appearances, those have long since stopped. On top of that, he's competing with everyone else at Sega. To put it bluntly, he doesn't stand a chance.
Want: 100%
Unlike most people here apparently, I don't have much interest in most of Sega's other games, namely because I never played them. Billy Hatcher, however, is a game I LOVED playing as a kid. Yeah, the controls and gimmicks were a bit uncooperative at times, but I genuinely enjoyed my experience. Though at this point, I just want Sega to acknowledge he exists again. Who knows, maybe this RTC day can be the start of something big for the thought of Billy Hatcher in Smash...

Or not. Not every character can potentially become the next Geno.

Nominations: Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x5, [Rerate] Jin Kazama x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA from Blaster Master.

Predict Sakura Shinguji from Sakura Wars.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some Blaster Master music for the day:

Also the date for the RTC Smash tourney is still being decided so to those who plan to participate, please choose the dates in this google form that are best for you. If you also plan to partake in this then please join the official RTC discord.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Jason and SOPHIA

Chance: 5%. Their chance is quite slim, at least that I am aware of, and that could be a slight problem. But then again, we have been surprised multiple times before and either way, if they get in, it would be surprising.

Want: 50%. I honestly don’t know much about that franchise until joining this sight (same with many characters), but I think they could be fun to play as. Overall, they would be decent choices, and if they get in, I’ll learn more about that franchise.

Prediction: Sakura: 10%

Noms: 5 for Echo: Bowser

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The game that has music featured in AVGN episodes

Chance: 10%

From what I've researched, I'm impressed. The first game was critically acclaimed and while it didn't do too well in Japan, Iwata actually commented on the game in an interview in 2010, acknowledging it's success outside of Japan. It went on to receive sequels, many of which were on Nintendo systems, and a remake in 2017 which came to 3DS and Switch first. Then the remake got a sequel this year on Switch. And fun fact: SOPHIA appears in Shantae: Half-Genie Hero as a transformation (I'm getting all this info on the Blaster Master Wikipedia by the way).

From what I can gather, the series is owned by Sunsoft. They made a bunch of games for the NES, including the famous Batman game based off the 1989 film which is considered to be a stand-out movie-based game. Then Sunsoft released some games on the Wii virtual console and now they are supporting the Switch.

So with all that said, I think there is a good basis for a Smash pick here. It even gets some legacy points for being one of the classic run and gun games and the moveset potential is there. So why am I still giving this pair a low score? Well it's probably just a gut feeling but with only 4 slots left, I don't think Blaster Master has enough to make it really standout from the rest of the viable Smash contenders. Sunsoft is not a big company and when it comes to Japanese companies, Level 5 and Koei Tecmo are next in line to get a rep. Not to mention there are first party and western characters that are eyeing a spot on the roster. I know that I went on and on about Blaster Master's merits, but to me it just gets lost in the mix. Like for example, if we are talking about NES run and gun reps, I think Contra is more likely.

But still, I would not be surprised if Jason and SOPHIA managed to gain a spot on the roster.

Aside from the above, I know nothing about the series but I want to try out the games now. It sounds like it's up my alley.

Prediction: Sakura - 30%

Noms: Arthur x10

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
"Let's go! GAIA-SOPHIA!"
Chance: 8%
Simply put, Blaster Master isn't one of the biggest series out there. Nonetheless, this is a series with legacy on its side, dating as far back as 1988 on the NES. While it's been on and off during its life, early on, it enjoyed middling success, getting varied sequels up until 2000. After that, the original game got a remake through WiiWare on 2010, and finally, nowadays has gained more resurgence through Inti Creates' Blaster Master Zero series. It's doing decently well; both the games were rereleased on different consoles from their original, and the fact alone that BMZ1 got a sequel is pretty nice. So you could say Blaster Master is more under Inti Creates' moniker now than it is for Sunsoft.

Going into Inti Creates as a developer, it's been pretty close to Nintendo, sure not on exclusivity levels or anything of the sort, but their games generally go on Nintendo first. Gunvolt, Blaster Master, you name it. They cared enough to flat-out release BMZ2 on one of their indie world streams last year. Despite all this, the series remains niche and as mentioned only recently gained a bit of resurgence thanks to Zero. When you put this next to the huge characters being contested for Smash, there being 4 slots left, and almost no fan support for Blaster Master to be in the game, it doesn't seem all that likely. Nonetheless, they've at least got the legacy to them.

Want: 80%
The Blaster Master Zero games are just great. Inti Creates never cease to surprise with their 2D games. Both Jason and SOPHIA on their own could be great fighters, but they could be at their best together, as it works in the actual games. SOPHIA III is a heavy-armored battletank, with loads of weaponry and tools (in BMZ2 it even gets a fire dash) Jason on the other hand, while weaker due to being just a human, has tons of weapons and abilities for his own. The way I could see this being implemented is that normally you'd have Jason on his own, he's nimble, weaker and lighter, but a faster fighter, while you could get on SOPHIA for a limited amount of time or hits. SOPHIA would be as it is in the games, a strong, armored battletank that's much heavier than Jason by his own. The mobility also wouldn't be as good. However their moveset would be, it'd be great to have them and I'd love to have some of the music in Smash.

Nominations: Adol Christin x10
Prediction: 25% for Sakura. Funny we're getting two characters that get into heavily armored machines in a row.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gonna abstain today, but as a whole Blaster Master doesn't have a ton on their side. The franchise has been on and off over the years and had a minor resurgence with Blaster Master Zero 2 (both due to its' merits and probably Kanna's design), but it didn't last. The good relationship with Nintendo is a huge plus, but if Level-5 tells us anything it doesn't always guarantee you a Smash spot. There's also little to no fan demand for the franchise to get representation in Smash, along with only 4 slots left, so things just aren't adding up for them.

Nominations:
Don-chan x5

Predictions:
Sakura - 34.28% - Expecting some EXTREME overrates here for a franchise that has little to no Western push and with most of it not localized.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Had a brain fart in my nominations and fixed it (last time), before it was even pointed out.

Anyway, Fae's friend and Ethan's son (two different references!)

Chance: 5%. While I've been handing out 0%'s like candy, today I think this guy could happen. But, it would be somewhat strange. Blaster Master is back, yes, but it doesn't seem like it's made waves. It's a strange case of being relevant, but not particularly popular. I think it'd also be something that would catch Sakurai's eye, but not Nintendo's. Still, this is a game that could happen to warrant a spot someday, and at least warrants a Spirit or two for now. Perhaps getting ninja'd in a regular event like Lotus was?

Want: 50%, but you can thank Super Mario Bros. Crossover for that one. That was my introduction to SOPHIA, and Blaster Master (and that stage 1 theme) as a result. Especially that bopping theme. Oh, how I loved that game. So I think I understand how SOPHIA would play. And I think the mount/dismount mechanic would be something not only totally new to Smash, but very interesting as it allows the player to change how the character works in an instant. That being said, I've not gotten the full Blaster Master Zero, or 2, or the original game... and I'm not sure if Jason dismounted would be as interesting.

Arle and CJ x 5 each. Shinguji isn't in her series most recent release (at least as a prominent, promotional character. If she is in the game, even as so much as a cameo, let me know), but otherwise would stand to benefit quite a bit from other factors. 18.20%, expecting a fair few underrates.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Jason and Sophia

Chances: 2%

Looking a bit into the game, I'm surprised at how good the reception it had was outside of japan, and especialy how popular it aparently was. It eve has quite a bit of legacy, with it dating back to the Nes, and having recieved sequels and spin-offs with some recent ones. However, the fact that it's popularity is not only mainly coming from western audience, along the fact that unlike other charaters mainly popular in the west like Rayman they don't have a massive push from their fanbase to appear in Smash, I just cannot see it hapening, despite how Nintendo seems to have a bit of a sweetspot for it, with it apearing on the Nintendo Switch Online for the Nes. I just don't think that they have enough on their side to get more than that. Maybe a spirit event could happen, but Idon't find that too likely to happen.

Want: 60%

I played Blaster Master on the Nintendo Switch Online for the Nes, and I think that it's pretty good. Furthermore, the idea of a character riding a tank in battle and getting out of it seems kinda very fun to me, even if I have no big idea of how it would be balanced (like, I guess that SOPHIA could have a sort of lifebar that isn't percents, and when it's depleted, SOPHIA is destroyed for the rest of Jason's stock, who in trade is much more agile but weaker, and he can also get out of SOPHIA whenever he wants to, I guess?). Anyway, they could be really cool gameplay, though I have no idea of what other content they could bring since I did not play the more recent entries, or rather any game in the series beyond the first one on Nes, though they could definitively be cool to have.

Predictions

Sakura Shinguji: 26.5%

Nominations

Cynthia x10

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Jason and Sophia

Chance 3 - I could see some reasons to pick them here. First, the series did get some releases somewhat recently. The games also seem to be well received. However, the series isn't very popular and comes from a 3rd party. There's a lot of 3rd parties I feel like Nintendo would be more interested in going for first.

Want 0 - Yeah not really interested in this character. Never heard of them before RTC. So obviously that means no connection and never played the games. Kinda at the point where I'd like.

Predictions
Sakura(This is gonna get hella overrated) - 35%

Noms:
Non Steve/Chief rep x5

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Tank and Tank

Chance: 1%. Blaster Master is a cult classic that managed to come back later on, I feel the franchise is too niche for consideration, especially as the rating is both Jason, the gunner, and Sophia, his tank jeep vehicle. I'll go into more detail here in the want section. I think the worst part for them is how the seem to have very little fan demand too, Sakurai doesn't just play magical chairs and while we've had niche characters before, Blaster Master just tragically has too much competition in literally everything else and would need a borderline miracle to get even a Mii costume for Jason.

Want: 0% I do actually want to try the games out though I have 1 major issue, again, the rating is for both Jason and Sophia so I'm trying to wrap my head around being able to exit Sophia midmatch, and simply put, I cannot see how that'd work without being horribly unfun, and if a character doesn't sound fun to me, I won't want them.

Miriam x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Are you a bad enough dude to rescue your frog?

Chance: 11%
I thought I was going to have to do a lot of convincing today but it looks like you guys know the games/did your research, so I'll spare you the rant. Blaster Master is an NES classic, remembered fondly for its inventive tank-person dual gameplay, banging tunes, unique setting and great Metroidvania level design. It's frequently considered one of the best games on the NES. But it's popularity was mainly centered in the West, as the game flopped in Japan. So Sunsoft, the developer, capitalized on it by converting some other games to Blaster Master titles in the West and developing a few new ones. However what I want to focus on here is its modern revival with the Blaster Master Zero games by Inti Creates. You know Inti Creates, they're the ones that make all those wonderful retro revivals like Mega Man 9 and 10 and the Curse of the Moon games that idiots like me live for. So Blaster Master Zero happened, it was hella good, and it got a sequel so it probably did well.

All this to say that the history factor is strong with this one. Sure, we aren't looking at a Ninja Gaiden or Contra, but this is still a combination of "classic game + still around" that would appeal to Sakurai. You represent a seminal 80's title, and the legacies of both Sunsoft and Inti Creates. That's not shoe-in material by any definition, especially with its Japanese unpopularity (unless the Zero games turned that around, which I'd hope), but it is enough where I could see this surprising lots of people.

Want: 90%
Like I said, I'm a sucker for retro. I love Blaster Master and I can't help but feel that it would be a great match for Smash. An underground, sprawling stage, great tunes, and a unique dual-stance character that can fight in a tank? Sign me the hell up.

Noms: Scorpion x10
Sakura prediction: idk like 17%

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Blaster Master

Chance: 5%
So from what I understand, Blaster Master was originally made by Sunsoft but now Inti Creates owns the license to it. Blaster Master does benefit from being a classic NES game but has a ton of competition with other more popular picks. Blaster Master was mostly popular in the West and while the new games seem to have done well the series still feels relatively niche. Also if Nintendo talked to Inti Creates about adding a character then there's a good chance that they'd go with Gunvolt instead since he seems to be much more popular.

I never got around to really playing through the original Blaster Master game so my only real experience with the series is through Super Mario Crossover. Because of this I'll abstain from a want score.

Sakura chance prediction: 12.80%

Nominations:
Concept: The remaining SSB4 DLC Mii Costumes return (or get a deluxe enhancement) x5

amageish

Smash Master
Jason and Sophia

Chance: 5%. Dark horse is a dark horse. We've got a retro throwback beloved in the West, if not in Japan. It's tied to two companies with pretty solid Nintendo history, if not amazing history. Unique potential for moveset and a good music variety. A franchise already known for collabs and crossovers... Yeah, all solid things to be.

Usual problem is the usual problem. With four slots left, it's hard to feel like anyone is a shoe-in, especially with third-parties as there are so many third-parties with "good Nintendo history" that just aren't going to get playable content in Smash at this point. Blaster Master has a lot of good things going for it, but nothing that makes me feel confidant...

Want: 80%. Yeah, this would be a really cool pick. Could make for a unique fighter, a unique stage, and an overall super cool fighter's pass. Heck, if they wanted to go insane, then Shovel Knight and Shantae appear in the new game, so you could use that to justify putting their spirits on the spirit board... maybe make Mii Costumes for them too, though I am still not sold on how a Shantae costume would look good...

Noms: Jill Costume x 10
Predictions: Based on the under/overrated day, I'm going to guess there will be a major splinter of scores here. Let's say it rounds off at 15%.

at least as a prominent, promotional character. If she is in the game, even as so much as a cameo, let me know
She cameos during the climax of the game and appears in a decent amount of flashbacks, with her saving a young Sakura Amamiya being the inciting incident in Amamiya's story. Lots of "I want to be like my hero!" talks and she has posters of the original Sakura in her room and such.

They also take like 3 chapters to acknowledge how Sakura and Sakura are both named Sakura, which annoyed me.

Top Bottom