• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I really doubt BotW Zelda would be a clone. She can't pull off many of Zelda's moves without the dress. Hell, if she could be a clone, then we probably would've had her design as Zelda's instead of ALttP's.
to be fair she does have two dresses

Louie G.

Smash Hero
BOTW ZELDA:

Chance: 0.5%

Yeah I'm sorry, this is the most direct and harsh that I'll probably ever be about something like this, but I would be absolutely floored (not in a good way) if they sold "BOTW Zelda" as a full-fledged DLC character. There is absolutely a chance for an original Zelda character, albeit not a great one IMO, but we'd sooner get any of the Champions or Impa as BOTW2 related content than a plain variation of Zelda. The fact that BOTW / Champion Link is simply "Link" on the roster should be enough to tell you that this is a huge stretch. Probably one of my least favorite theories the community has stirred up in a while, feel free to tell me you told me so if it does happen and I'll gladly own up to it, but this is one instance where I am absolutely confident in saying there is no chance. I rarely ever do this.

Not to mention, we don't even know when this game is coming out. Considering Rex and Min Min were too late for Ultimate's base roster, I heavily doubt that BOTW2 is timed correctly to get any new character specifically from that game or that variation of Zelda. Yes I know that Byleth is a thing... so I can't count it out entirely, but it's been a long time since we've got updated on BOTW2 and this would require Sakurai to get an early copy of the game yadda yadda, I think it's a different situation entirely. But I doubt it moreso just because... it's just ****ing Zelda lmao. If it was some variation of Zelda like Tetra then I would react differently, but it's literally just "Zelda". The only precedent for this is being separated from a character in Smash 4 (Zero Suit) or clones like Dr. Mario or Young Link. And at this point I'd argue those guys are only really there for legacy purposes in the long run (EVERYONE is here).

I dunno, maybe I'm being too harsh? I just REALLY REALLY don't see this happening.

Want: 0%
Yeah, big surprise lmao. I'm sure Zelda will have some awesome abilities and weapons to pull from in BOTW2 but dammit, why would I want an alternate version of straight up Princess Zelda over someone like Tetra, let alone any of the awesome Zelda characters that have been snubbed since Brawl? For the record, I would have even been cool with Toon Zelda because it at least offers a totally different style (same with like, Paper Mario and stuff like that). I don't really consider BOTW all that far off from the style that we have right now so this would just feel extremely redundant and kind of dumb imo. Hard for me to feel positively about an idea like that, let alone taking up an entire challenger pack.

Stretchers Prediction: 0.4%

Noms: Billy & Jimmy x5

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Zelda with a Bob Cut

Chance: 15%. I'm... uncharacteristically confident in this one, even if we have speculation layered on top of more speculation going on here.

First off, this years' holiday release is Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity. We're probably getting Breath of the Wild 2... at some point, possibly as a holiday release next year. That's just... a lot more of one Zelda world in a short span of time then we usually get? You know, for a franchise that tends to make its entries disconnected from each other, it's kind of insane we'll be exploring the same Hyrule three times on the same console, nevermind the potnetial of twice in a period of two years... So, while there are a lot of "promotional picks" that get brought up as happening then they don't happen right away and everyone forgets about them, Zelda (and her franchise) has known staying power in addition to preexisting critical and commercial success as an IP.

Wow, way to go me, my first point is that Zelda is, in fact, a well-known franchise. Mindblowing revelation there.

It also seems... fairly likely Zelda herself will be playable in the new game, given her redesign and Aonuma dodging questions about it like they were beams of a guardian. Considering that this is the person who looked reporters in the eye and unironically told them that a female Link couldn't happen as it would "mess with the balance of the Triforce," I'm not sure why he wouldn't just stamp rumours of a playable Zelda out if it wasn't happening. It's not like he hasn't been painfully, if confusingly, blunt about the issue of a female lead in a Zelda game before. This just feels like a rumour worth squashing...

So, she's likely to be central to two new games for double the promotions. She's already a well-known and liked character. We technically know she was considered before, but dismissed due to not being a fighter - a label which once dismissed Villager and they didn't even need a Warriors spin-off to rebuke the label. This... is a good place to be, honestly? Sure, there is no shortage of BotW content in the base game, but with not one but two more games in the oven... that'll leave more then enough to pull from. We did also get a BotW Mii Costume in this pass and I'm not sure how I feel about that honestly, but I think it may be a case of "Yeah, they double-dipped for this franchise, but this franchise is huge enough that your mortal rules do not apply to them."

My main concerns are: (i) other Zelda characters exist and could be chosen instead and (ii) it's entirely possible Nintendo will announce some other new games that could be promoted in Smash. I still think Zelda's in the best position as, while other LoZ characters may be more popular, Zelda making the titular Zelda playable in a mainline game for the first time outside of those ghost moments in Spirit Tracks would be objectively big news and the two-game factor that would make it harder for a new challenger to appear to overtake her... I'm not going too high as this involves a lot of speculation, but I feel like the stars are aligning over Zelda. It's just a matter if a moon comes crashing down on them.

Want: 90%. Look, I'd love a non-Triforce-user as much as the next person. Heck, BotW Zelda wouldn't even be my first choice for putting in another Zelda into Smash. However, I'd love to see a dedicated take on the BotW moveset within Smash Bros and Zelda herself has a great design. I'm not going to let the perfect be the enemy of the good here; I'd be very happy with this Zelda.

Noms: Jill Stingray Mii Costume x 5 and I'll introduce Monika Mii Costume x 15. Goodbye regular character speculation; LONG LIVE MII COSTUME SPECULATION.
Predictions: A metric tonne of "It'd be a stretch" puns and 1%.

AoC is being made by KT so i dont sakurai would get to see behind the scenes
Given how Three Houses was largely programmed/modeled by Koei, I am going to guess that wouldn't be a problem?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x239
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x220
Concept: A Bravely Default character x220
Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins) x210
Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x205
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x196
Alex Mason x190
Adol Christin x190

200 - 151

Impa (Age of Calamity) x170
Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x155

150 - 101

[Rerate] Frisk x150
Echo: Coco (Crash) x130
Red (Angry Birds) x125
D.Va x115
[Rerate] Maxwell x115
[Rerate] Chibi-Robo x105
Miriam x105
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x104

100 - 51

Zero (Mega Man) x95
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x93
Hajime Hinata x90
Boss: Ender Dragon x88
Riptor x85
Stage: Bowser's Castle x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Fulgore x79
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x70
Concept: Rocket League rep x70
[Rerate] The Knight x70
Giygas x65
Don-chan x65
[Rerate] Arle Nadja x65
Boss: Rayquaza x60
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Concept: Fortnite character x55
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
[Rerate] Monokuma x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Magolor x55
John Marston x55
Jin Sakai x55
Echo (Olimar) x51

50 - 25

Ghirahim x50
Carl Johnson x45
Cynthia (Pokémon) x40
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) x40
Concept: The remaining SSB4 DLC Mii Costumes return (or get the deluxe treatment) x35
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x30
Tetra x25

Under 25

Ryza (Atelier) x20
Crazy Dave x20
Yarn Yoshi x15
Qbby x15
Concept: A Challenger Pack with 2 Fighters x15
Echo (Bowser) x15
Tetris x10
Billy & Jimmy Lee x10
T-Rex Runner x10
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
Stage: Tetris x5
[Rerate] Agumon x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x5
[Rerate] Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x5

A Bravely Default character braves past Content from currently unreleased game and ties with Neptune for second place. Arthur also fights past Content from currently unreleased game and settles in third place. Adol Christin fights into the top seven, tied with Alex Mason for the last spot.

Chibi-Robo and Miriam shatter the 100 nom barrier.

John Marston and Jin Sakai ride past 50 noms.

Tetra plunders 25 noms.

Your new contenders for today are T-Rex Runner, with 10 noms, and a rerate of the concept Any new Xenoblade character, with 5.

Considering Rex and Min Min were too late for Ultimate's base roster, I heavily doubt that BOTW2 is timed correctly to get any new character specifically from that game or that variation of Zelda. Yes I know that Byleth is a thing... so I can't count it out entirely, but it's been a long time since we've got updated on BOTW2 and this would require Sakurai to get an early copy of the game yadda yadda, I think it's a different situation entirely.
It's the same Zelda from the first Breath of the Wild. And also why wouldn't he get early access to the game? He did for Breath of the Wild. If Nintendo wants a character to promote the sequel they'll absolutely give him an early build.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
BOTW Zelda

Chance 99% - Ok now, hear me out. Remember on day 500 when I said I expect a 1st party rep from a game that came out at at some point in 2021? Yeah. Since then it's still just basically just BOTW 2 that we know of. So for now the rating stands. Yes, I could and probably should assume we'll get more than just BOTW2 for 1st party titles next year, but I thought we'd get more than what we got for this year too and obviously that didn't happen. Until I see more of our 2021 lineup I have a hard time rating this any lower. Thats how confident I am in getting something from a release next year. Like I said, the rating will change drastically when more stuff from next year comes out but with so little info to work with right now it's hard for me to give her anything but that.

Want 0 - Yeah not really into this idea. I don't want more of the triforce trio in Smash anymore. We have enough Links, Zeldas, and Gannons. I also dont want DLC characters to be different versions of characters we already have no matter how different they play. Like I said with the Paper Mario days, I just do not want that at all.

Predictions
Stretchers - .51

Noms:
TRex Runner/ No Internet TRex x 10

Last edited:

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Another Zelda
Chance: 5%
While BotW 2 is a thing, promoting it via smash doesn't seem necessary. The previous title is already one of the best selling games on the Switch.
Even if they did, there's so many better choices. I don't see them adding a duplicate character as DLC. Not just because it's weird, but it would be a marketing nightmare.
There's also the fact that Sakurai already denied her for base game.

Don't get me wrong, I love Zelda(though I still haven't played BotW). It just feels like a waste when there's so many great characters in the series to choose from. From Midna, to Tingle, to Ghirahim, Impa, Beedle... and the list goes on. We already have three Links, we don't need three Zeldas too. If they absolutely need to add a duplicate, add Ganon!

Predict The Stretchers: 0,05%

Nominations
Adol Christin x10

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Zelda (Breath of the Wild 2)

Chance: 5% -
I know everyone's expecting a promotional pick this pass, but I don't think Zelda's gonna be the one. Sakurai may see her as redundant, Nintendo might not see it as a good business decision to sell a duplicate of an already existing character, and most importantly, promotional timing might not even add up. We don't even know when Breath of the Wild 2 will be out. They didn't give a 2021 date, just a "Now In Development". We've seen no gameplay, and while Sakurai could get the game early, the pass may end before the game is even released. Building on that, we don't even know if Zelda will be playable or what she can do. In the first game we saw light magic, but normal Zelda already has it. Let's not forget the amount of Breath of the Wild content already in Smash, with a stage, several music tracks, spirits. Link's new default model and moveset changes, it has plenty of representation as is. With the game being on the same map as the first, Sakurai may see that as redundant as well (though the game still has super cool locales to choose from). Finally, there's the guardian armor Mii Costume you get for buying FP2. A Zelda costume, and more specifically a Breath of the Wild-themed costume as a bonus. Why not save it for a Breath of the Wild character if they were being added.

Want: 0% - I love Breath of the Wild's incarnation of Zelda as much as everyone else (in fact, I like her way more than the design they chose for Ultimate Zelda), but I don't think she needs her own slot on the Smash roster, especially with only four left. Zelda as a series has gotten shafted in terms of characters, and we don't need two Zeldas when we already have three Links. There are so many fantastic characters they could choose from that are outside of the Triforce Trio. Impa, the BoTW champions, Ruto, Skull Kid, Midna, Giriham, Groose, the list goes on! Speaking of Impa, not only is she a reoccurring series mainstay, but competes with Zelda in also having recent Zelda promotional potential, and this is for Age of Calamity, which does have a release date. I'd greatly prefer Impa in fact, since, being a series mainstay, she feels like a natural next choice. Though I'd love to see any non-Triforce Trio member, and another Zelda just doesn't seem very appealing to me no matter how different she could be.

Nominations:
Don-chan x5
A 4x Strategy Rep x5

Predictions:
The Stretchers - 0.28%

Last edited:

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Nerd Zelda

Chance: 7%

I lean more towards this Fighter Pass not having a Nintendo shill pick, but even if I did, I don't think Breath of the Wild 2 needs to be shilled. I think if we do get the so called Nintendo 'shill pick', it will be chosen not for marketing a game but because Sakruai thinks the character would be fun to implement. The main point against her is that we have no clue if she is playable in BotW2, however we do have her playble in AoC. She also competes with arguably more interesting characters like Impa, Urbosa, Mipha, Ravioli, and Daruk. It also helps that we don't have any of their incarnations as playable yet. Despite all this, shes still a mystery and so we lack a lot of important pieces of information.

Want: 27%
She's still a mystery so this initial rating can change dramatically with information, but the potential is there. I warmed up to her when the BotW2 trailer came out. Although, ever since Age of Calamity was revealed, I have found new favorites I want over her from the Breath of the Wild world. On top of this, there are still many other characters that I want to fill in the last spots. I also think the current Zeldas we have now are enough to represent the Wielder of the Triforce of Wisdom and wish we had other Zelda characters represented.

Noms: Impa x10
Predict the Stretchers: 0.15%

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Chance: 0%. I am very sure we are not getting a Zelda rep this pass. Let's take a look at the very first piece of Vol.2 content revealed: the Guardian armor. It would make no sense to seprate the Zelda content. It'd be like if they had the Iori costume with Joker, and then the rest of the SNK stuff was with Terry. This is why I don't think we're getting her.

Want: abstain. I greatly dislike this concept, but I'm short on time and can't write the five sentences for the 0.

Noms: PMD x10

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
"Beware the Blood Moon Rises"
Chance: 15%

I can see it happening. This iteration of Zelda is technically the only person who really massively succeeds in BotW aside from MAYBE Impa(she doesn't die at least or fail in her duties like Link and the champions) in that she successfully seals Calamity Ganon for 100 years on her own.

With BotW Link already in Smash(thank god, otherwise we'd likely get a fourth Link) and an upcoming prequel AND sequel on the horizon to BotW, Zelda has frankly not been this hot of a property in quite some time.

That said Zelda is a dupe. We got TWO Zeldas already on the roster with Sheik, and if we get another dupe character for the Zelda franchise in which half of it's fighters are Link and Zelda's in various outfits it'll be a huge disappointment.

Also maybe it's just me, but due to the frankly **** awful voice acting of Zelda in BotW's dub, I can't see an image of her without immedietly hearing her grating, unemotional and frankly awful fake british accent. Like christ alive it's some of the worst voice acting I've heard in any video game, and I'm including the original Resident Evil in this.

Patricia Summersett, your british friend who claimed your accent was good was lying to you. We Brits lie to people all the ****ing time to avoid hurting their feelings. You're easily the worst voice in the BotW timeline thus far especially now they've changed Mipha's stupid voice too for Age of Calamity which is a HUGE improvement.

Also since this Zelda has either been trapped by her own power(BotW) or powerless(Age of Calamity) I suspect we won't know what this Zelda can even really do until BotW2 launches.

The Stretchers chance prediction: 0.5%

Calamitas

Smash Champion
"Wake up, Impa. We're going to Smash!"
. . .On second thought, that probably wasn't the best CD-i quote I could've referenced here.

Chance: 40%
It's honestly a distinct possibility. Breath of the Wild was absolutely huge in terms of its success, and as of right now is set to get both a prequel in the form of Age of Calamity, and a sequel in the form of the currently untitled BotW2. If there is going to be a character that advertises a recent or unreleased Nintendo game, BotW Zelda is probably the best choice. And really, unless BotW2 introduces a new obvious character choice, Zelda is probably the best one they could pick, too. Picking any of the champions would be clear favouritism over the others, which only really happens with Pokémon, and while Impa could also work, she's only just getting her abilities and moveset fleshed out with Age of Calamity. With this Zelda meanwhile, they could easily just do the same thing they did with the incarnation already in Smash (you know, with the spells from Ocarina of Time) as well as Byleth, and give her the blessings of the four champions to build her moveset. Though of course, there's still one pretty big issue that needs to be considered: Actually getting a new Zelda character in the first place. Sakurai and his team have been downright comically uninterested in actually giving us a proper Zelda newcomer since Melee, and instead just tossing in all kinds of items, stages and Assist Trophies since then. If there's going to be a BotW newcomer, I feel it'll have to be because Nintendo very firmly tells Sakurai that he should be doing one, and I'm not entirely convinced on that having happened.

Want: 75%
Personally I'd much rather have a non-Triforce wielding character from an earlier Zelda title - there's more than enough choices for that - but eh, I would take this incarnation of Zelda. Over the course of the various memory cutscenes she has become quite endearing to me, with the excellent German dub helping quite a bit there. I personally would just hope that they dub her into the various languages for Smash as well. They're already doing it for Age of Calamity again, and I couldn't be happier about it.

Predicting the Stretchers to get around 0.27%

Nominating Concept: A Bravely Default character x10.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Zelda from Breath of the Wild 2: Electric Boogaloo

Chances: 2%

I just don't really see it hapening. Like, sure, BotW2 is most likely hapening in 2021, but I just don't see the game needing shilling from Smash in any way, it's the sequel to Breath of the Wild, the game that started the Switch, and the best selling Zelda of all time. It basicaly shills itslef. And also, Smash isn't all that kind for Zelda newcomers, with the only good thing that it got being Sheik in my opinion, as it showed that indidual Zelda games could get one of their signature characters, even if Sheik isn't really the "OOT character" anymore. For comparaison, since they are used as an example of how Nintendo can go "screw it, we're adding this character, even if the game isn't releaset yet", Byleth come from Fire Emblem, a much smaller series than Zelda, and while 3 Houses got financial and critical sucess before Byleth got in, Byleth was still chosen before any of that was known, while BotW2 will sell over 10 million copies with ease, just like how Pokemon doesn't need that Smash dlc shill. The thing that she does have in her way is how the Zelda roster is 3 Links, 2 Zeldas, and Ganondorf (kinda), but eh. Also since this will be brought up, Sakurai's comment about how she's a researcher rather than a fighter is just anexcuse as to why she wasn't the new base Zelda, since Zelda did not get a moveset overall in Ultimate, and she would definitively need one if BotW was her base.

Want: 75%

I liked Zelda in BotW, even if she wasn't my favorite (that title goes to Sidon), I still think that she's a very good character, even if I'm not one of those that see her as "prime waifu material". Still, I like her very much, and she could be extremly fun to play in Smash, especialy if she use stuff from BotW that Link doesn't already use, which is everything that isn't the bombs, giving her quite a lot ofmoveset potential from the Sheikah Slate, and she has even more with her magic/divine powers, and also weapons from botw like spears, or the powers from the 4 champions, which could make her very fun, and I wouldn't even be bothered if they gave her stuff from the Zelda who's already in the game, as I played her semi-seriously before I focused to more combo based characters ever since Terry released rather than zoners like Zelda, but I still find her fun to play.

Predictions

Stretchers: 0.12%

Nominations

Cynthia x25

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Zild of the Wild, or Zelda of the Welda

Chance: 1% On her own, as we have basically jack all in terms of information about BotW 2, and Age of Calamity is probably too recent to work with, unless Sakurai has a build of the game which we can't prove. (And that wouldn't guarantee Zelda by any means.) That's not to say a Zelda rep is out of the discussion, but I don't think it will be another version of the woman herself. Sakurai previously rejected this version of the character, and I know Ridley was also a reject turned fighter but I don't think anything will change his mind unless Zelda can bring something totally new, and while I don't doubt she can I don't think she's really all that.

And who's to say our Zelda rep HAS to be from the latest game? There's more timeless picks like Skull Kid, Impa (hell she competes with Impa), even a CD-I character at this point would probably get a better reception. If it HAS to be a Triforce character, there is Ganon. Specifically the Downfall Ganon. That would be cooler than this. Probably more distinct from the DLC too.

Want: 10%. I mean... she's not from SEGA. So +10 for that alone. Otherwise, man this would be at best a boring pick and at worst just a massive disappointment. I know we're probably gonna get a disappointment at the end of the pass, but that's Pokémon or Fire Emblem's territory. And, I'm not against alternate versions of pre-existing roster characters, but I am going to be very disappointed that we didn't take the opportunity to add a unique Ganon.

Arle and CJ x 5. I completely forget who the Stretchers even are. Abstain on predicting them.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
BotW Zelda

Chance - 0.5% - I think BotW 2 is too late to be considered for Smash. Even if that wasn't true, though, there are other characters who are not Zelda that are more combat ready and wanted by the player base. In fact, Sakurai had previously said that the BotW Zelda was not a good fit for Smash, so he decided to use another design. At this point, it would take some miracle for her to occur.

Want - 35% - If I had to have another Zelda, I'd rather have Tetra. I feel she's enough of her own character that I don't see them as related.

Nominations

Arle Nadja X5

MisterMike

Smash Champion
-= BotW!Zelda =-
Chance: 0%
BotW!Zelda is one of the most recent victims of the bandwagoning epidemic that's been particularly bad in Smash speculation as of late, though it's existed for far longer. It seems that every single time a new game/DLC/guest appearance is announced, everybody immediately jumps onto that character and begins to insist that they're somehow coming to Smash in the near future. With the impending release of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity next month, people have begun to push her (and Impa to a lesser extent) as a potential shoe-in for DLC.

Putting aside the fact that we already have a Zelda on the roster, thus making the idea of selling another version of a character we already have in the base game incredibly weird, no matter how differently they may play, character reveals for Smash have seldom, if ever, coincided with new or upcoming releases. Hell, they rarely coincide with anniversaries or other significant dates, and those should be the easiest things to line reveals up with. There's also the fact that BotW is already well represented in Ultimate as-is with a stage, several amazing music tracks, and enough Spirits to fill an entire Spirit Board on their own, comprised of all of the most important characters. What would BotW!Zelda be able to bring to Ultimate that isn't already there?

While I could see her getting into the next Smash game if they decide to go full reboot with everything, as it stands today with Ultimate and Vol. 2, she has no chance. Better luck next time.

While my chance score was particularly scathing, let it be know that I don't hate the idea of BotW!Zelda in Smash. I agree with people when they say that she could have a particularly unique moveset, though I find the constant refference to her Age of Calamity moveset to be Phoenix Wright levels of reaching. "Oh wow, she has a moveset in a Musou game? WELL NO **** SHE DOES, MUSOU GAMES MAKE **** UP ALL THE GODDAMN TIME!!" It's just that there are so, SO many other character's I'd rather see, to the point that she doesn't even break my top 100.

Also, the fact that she's the current bandwagon character of the month has really soured any want I may have had for her.

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
I agree with people when they say that she could have a particularly unique moveset, though I find the constant refference to her Age of Calamity moveset to be Phoenix Wright levels of reaching. "Oh wow, she has a moveset in a Musou game? WELL NO ** SHE DOES, MUSOU GAMES MAKE ** UP ALL THE GODDAMN TIME!!"
Well I think the fact that Age of Calamity is a canon Musou game in the BotW universe makes all the difference when speculating.

BotW!Zelda is one of the most recent victims of the bandwagoning epidemic that's been particularly bad in Smash speculation as of late, though it's existed for far longer. It seems that every single time a new game/DLC/guest appearance is announced, everybody immediately jumps onto that character and begins to insist that they're somehow coming to Smash in the near future. With the impending release of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity next month, people have begun to push her (and Impa to a lesser extent) as a potential shoe-in for DLC.
BotW came out in 2017 and speculation about the Zelda of that game for the next Smash started there so I wouldn't say shes a brand new character. To compare, ARMS was released later that year as well and we have gotten Min Min since then. Now that we have more information about BotW Zelda with AoC and possibly BotW2, her moveset potential increases. Also Sakurai did consider putting the newest Zelda in Ultimate but decided against it because 'she's more into research than fighting', but as we have seen from AoC, she can indeed fight.

Other than that I though you made a good point about reselling a character that was already on the roster even if they had a new moveset. Although, I would totally buy an updated Samus. Now that I think about it, her inclusion would mean a second BotW stage which is probably the strongest point against her.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Well I think the fact that Age of Calamity is a canon Musou game in the BotW universe makes all the difference when speculating.
Well given how people use spinoff games as the basis for character moveset concepts in Smash all the time regardless of their canonicity (See Phoenix Wright in MVC3), I fail to see how it changes anything.

BotW came out in 2017 and speculation about the Zelda of that game for the next Smash started there so I wouldn't say shes a brand new character.
I never said she was a newcomer to speculation by any means, obviously she's existed for far longer. Speaking of...

Now that we have more information about BotW Zelda with AoC and possibly BotW2, her moveset potential increases.
People have assumed that she'd be using runes in her moveset for just as long as they've been speculating about her. Age of Calamity visualizes this and adds a few new tricks here and there, but it's basically the same thing.

Also Sakurai did consider putting the newest Zelda in Ultimate but decided against it because 'she's more into research than fighting', but as we have seen from AoC, she can indeed fight.
So that means he'll be going back to add in this second Zelda as DLC?

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Well given how people use spinoff games as the basis for character moveset concepts in Smash all the time regardless of their canonicity (See Phoenix Wright in MVC3), I fail to see how it changes anything.
Your words where: "Oh wow, she has a moveset in a Musou game? WELL NO ** SHE DOES, MUSOU GAMES MAKE ** UP ALL THE GODDAMN TIME!!"
Musou games do like to make up movesets however this is a different circumstance. Being a canonical entry into the BotW universe, Koei Tecmo has been closely working with the Zelda team for accuracy, meaning that Zelda's moveset in Age of Calamity is approved by the people working on BotW2. Age of Calamity isn't just some random spinoff—it has near the same authority as a mainline Zelda game.

I never said she was a newcomer to speculation by any means, obviously she's existed for far longer. Speaking of...

People have assumed that she'd be using runes in her moveset for just as long as they've been speculating about her. Age of Calamity visualizes this and adds a few new tricks here and there, but it's basically the same thing.

So that means he'll be going back to add in this second Zelda as DLC?
First off, I don't think many of us think she's a shoe-in as you say. I certainly don't think that. But Sakurai saying he considered her at least once is something many characters wish they had. It's nothing to scoff at. The bandwagoning has been going on a lot longer than just right after AoC was announced. Her bandwogning started with BotW and died when Sakurai said why she wouldn't be a good fit. Then it came back with the BotW2 trailer and spiked with AoC and I assume it will spike again when we get more BotW2 info. Your acting like this is a surprise or at least something that shouldn't happen. What makes the AoC Zelda gameplay interesting is that it means that Sakurai's earlier dilemma is solved. The earlier moveset speculation was just that—speculation. Now it's confirmed.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Your words where: "Oh wow, she has a moveset in a Musou game? WELL NO ** SHE DOES, MUSOU GAMES MAKE ** UP ALL THE GODDAMN TIME!!"
Musou games do like to make up movesets however this is a different circumstance. Being a canonical entry into the BotW universe, Koei Tecmo has been closely working with the Zelda team for accuracy, meaning that Zelda's moveset in Age of Calamity is approved by the people working on BotW2. Age of Calamity isn't just some random spinoff—it has near the same authority as a mainline Zelda game.
So I guess it's also canon that BotW!Zelda is capable of taking on entire armies by herself without the aid of Link or any of the other Champions, yes? I mean if that's the case, why the hell was Link ever even appointed her knight? Seems like she can handle herself pretty well with just the Shiekah Slate. And I guess all those flashback scenes in BotW showing Zelda relying on Link to fight off the Yiga Clan and all those other monsters was inaccurate then?

Just because this game's story is canon to the BotW universe does not mean that everything else automatically is. Just because BotW is canon to the Zelda series does not mean me glitching out of bounds during the Trial of the Sword and skipping basically the entire challenge to get the Master Sword as easily as possible is also canon.

First off, I don't think many of us think she's a shoe-in as you say. I certainly don't think that.
Oh, you'd be surprised. Plenty of people have expressed that she's more likely as DLC. Their rationale is that, because Age of Calamity is releasing soon, that Nintendo may want to advertise it, or even BotW2, by adding a character in Smash as DLC.

And don't worry, I don't think you think that.

But Sakurai saying he considered her at least once is something many characters wish they had. It's nothing to scoff at.
I think there's a world of difference, actually. When he was deliberating on which Zelda to use, it's not like he was picking between Robin or Chrom as the new Fire Emblem character for Smash 4 or anything. He was deciding on which design he would use for Ultimate's version of Zelda. It was between her modern design in BotW, or a more traditional design. One or the other. Ultimately, Sakurai chose a more traditional design.

The bandwagoning has been going on a lot longer than just right after AoC was announced. Her bandwogning started with BotW and died when Sakurai said why she wouldn't be a good fit. Then it came back with the BotW2 trailer and spiked with AoC and I assume it will spike again when we get more BotW2 info. You're acting like this is a surprise or at least something that shouldn't happen.
I'm not all too surprised by it, but yeah, I do think it shouldn't happen. All this kind of bandwagoning does is lead people to predict characters more based on current trends rather than anything more substantial, despite the fact that, as history has shown us, it's practically useless as a method of determining who's getting in, so seeing so many people fall for it time and time again is incredibly disheartening and makes speculation rather dull.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
-= BotW!Zelda =-
You do realize people tend to push and expect things from new games right? That is kind of how Nintendo has operated in the past...three smash games. Let me break down how many of our characters would fall onto your idea of bandwagoning onto a new/popular character.

:ultbanjokazooie::ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultbyleth::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ulthero::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultlittlemac::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultminmin:ultrobin::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultridley::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultwolf::ultzss::ultwario::ultpacman::ultkingdedede:

All of these characters, if I really wanted to be that guy, would be considered "bandwagon" characters by your logic. Yes, people tend to speculate on new things coming out... Because time after time, that is what tends to get represented in Smash. Pokemon and Fire Emblem are the biggest examples, but basically every other major franchise shows this to to some degree of how it is represented in smash. Arguably the characters that don't fit your "modern stuff bad" or "smash speculation bad" mentality are Ridley, K Rool, and Banjo. All of those could be argued to be "bandwagon picks" because they are popular. Heck, a character I know you support due to your last post on them in the thread, Geno, is the single biggest bandwagon pick in Smash history.

Furthermore, you are stretching this "shoo in" mentality. Even the highest end scores still say she is far from a shoo in. I don't see every other post in this thread saying BotW Zelda is a shoo in just because Age of Calamity exists. Surprise surprise, while plenty of us entertain the idea, she is not seen as a complete lock.

-= BotW!Zelda =-
Putting aside the fact that we already have a Zelda on the roster, thus making the idea of selling another version of a character we already have in the base game incredibly weird, no matter how differently they may play, character reveals for Smash have seldom, if ever, coincided with new or upcoming releases. There's also the fact that BotW is already well represented in Ultimate as-is with a stage, several amazing music tracks, and enough Spirits to fill an entire Spirit Board on their own, comprised of all of the most important characters. What would BotW!Zelda be able to bring to Ultimate that isn't already there

Let us start off with the fact Smash tends to represent relatively recent franchises/characters and new developments on the era that preceded them. Brawl represents the Gamecube era of Nintendo a lot with its releases (as well as some early wii stuff but a lot of that is in 4). From that era we can say that Meta Knight, Wario, ZSS, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Lucas, Sonic, King Dedede, Olimar, Wolf, Toon Link, and to a lesser extent Diddy Kong all were representing that era (In Diddy's case through the spinoffs he was in). Smash 4, we have Villager, WFT, Little Mac, Greninja, Rosalina, Bowser Jr, Corrin, Robin, Lucina, Shulk,Palutena, and Bayonetta. Ultimate, the fan service game, still has promotional characters, such as Inkling, Incineroar, Isabelle, Hero, Steve, Min Min, and Byleth. The main reason they do not seem like promo picks with sometimes is planning. Brawl's roster was planned in 2005, Ultimates in 2012, Ultimates in 2016-2019.

BotW is represented in Smash, but given Nintendo is making a canon spin off and a sequel, it is clear it will keep growing in that regard. It is the future of Zelda. Music from BotW2 or AoC could easily be sold in a pass, there could easily be another stage, and given how AoC and BotW2 will introduce new versions of characters and new characters, it is easy to imagine them making a spirit board while still putting in existing spirits like they did with Min Min.

As for your final point, you could do honestly whatever with the character. Make her moveset borrow moves from Link in BotW. Wouldn't be the first time they did that with Zelda, you never see her use the OoT spells that make up the core of her moveset in the games. You could splash some Musou elements in if you wanted to but there is no need. The BotW system seems like it is a good choice on its own. Given how everyone and their mother expects Zelda to be playable in BotW2, I would not be surprised if they chose that direction for her.

So I guess it's also canon that BotW!Zelda is capable of taking on entire armies by herself without the aid of Link or any of the other Champions, yes? I mean if that's the case, why the hell was Link ever even appointed her knight? Seems like she can handle herself pretty well with just the Shiekah Slate. And I guess all those flashback scenes in BotW showing Zelda relying on Link to fight off the Yiga Clan and all those other monsters was inaccurate then?

Just because this game's story is canon to the BotW universe does not mean that everything else automatically is. Just because BotW is canon to the Zelda series does not mean me glitching out of bounds during the Trial of the Sword and skipping basically the entire challenge to get the Master Sword as easily as possible is also canon.
Gameplay and Story Segregation. There is a difference in how a games story is shown through gameplay and through its cutscenes. The fact of the matter is that AoC shows Zelda is not as helpless as it would seem, at least compared to how you are illustrating it. Heck, your own argument about the Master Sword proves it. While in your playthrough you might have glitched to get the sword, in canon, Link does the trials. In gameplay Zelda might be a strong combatant, but in the story Link is her champion for a reason.

Oh, you'd be surprised. Plenty of people have expressed that she's more likely as DLC. Their rationale is that, because Age of Calamity is releasing soon, that Nintendo may want to advertise it, or even BotW2, by adding a character in Smash as DLC.
You assume so much. Let me put aside the fact that RTC is a bubble of sorts, we are a hardcore speculation part of an already niche part of the fanbase on one site. The fact of the matter is even if we look into shill reps, the general consensus is that BotW Zelda is far from the front runner. First, many people, particularly outside of here, will argue about the benefits of one of the Gen 8 Pokemon. Even putting that aside, you have Rex, who is generally seen as quite likely. While the idea of BotW2 getting a character has been floated around plenty of times, it seems at least on here and on the internet in general it is not the bandwagon pick you are assuming it is.

I think there's a world of difference, actually. When he was deliberating on which Zelda to use, it's not like he was picking between Robin or Chrom as the new Fire Emblem character for Smash 4 or anything. He was deciding on which design he would use for Ultimate's version of Zelda. It was between her modern design in BotW, or a more traditional design. One or the other. Ultimately, Sakurai chose a more traditional design.
You have to remember that that was in 2016. Now it is 2020. We not only have a sequel to a mainline Zelda game, which alone is rare especially on this scope, we have a canon spinoff. BotW Zelda could easily be seen as worth a second look with two whole games more of content to look over and represent, especially given the more distinct direction the BotW part of the series has gone.

I'm not all too surprised by it, but yeah, I do think it shouldn't happen. All this kind of bandwagoning does is lead people to predict characters more based on current trends rather than anything more substantial, despite the fact that, as history has shown us, it's practically useless as a method of determining who's getting in, so seeing so many people fall for it time and time again is incredibly disheartening and makes speculation rather dull.
First of all, you really are downplaying how much timing helps characters. It is part of the reason Rex is seen as far more likely than Elma. But even beyond that, you clearly are strawmanning everyone who thinks that BotW Zelda has a decent chance.

For starters, as I have shown with characters who have actually gotten in, it is not a useless piece of information. While the characters that are the new hotness are generally going to get a strong look, it is important to have more of an argument other than just they are new. You do not see as many people speculating on Ring Fit Adventure or another Animal Crossing character for instance, despite both being big hits on the Switch. It is important to build your character's case or the case against them. Legacy, Fan Demand, Recent Releases, Worldwide appeal, and more. All important parts of speculation. Boiling it down to I do not like any modern character that gets a smash push from fans is honestly what actually makes speculation dull. It is people who instead of looking at every aspect of the character and instead gatekeep what people can want that are what makes speculation dull. I saw how you got into a massive argument on Sora's day which boiled down to "I really want Geno and never Played KH so Sora is basically every other swordsman" or your honestly toxic attitude towards Travis fans when their character got deconfirmed. Before you gatekeep what people want, strawman what people are saying, and gloat when a character is deconfirmed, try to keep an open mind, civilly debate characters, and make a coherent argument next time.

Now onto my own ratings.

BotW2 Zelda

20% Chance

Honestly, as I said above, BotW is the clear present and future of the franchise. A lot has changed in 4 years, with a new sequel on the rise and a canon spinoff. It is clear that this is the direction Nintendo is likely to push the Zelda series for the near future.

Now, I am going to be brutally honest here, it is Zelda or bust in terms of another Zelda rep. I doubt AT promotions are on the table for Skull Kid or Midna. I am not confident in any of the champions due to the fact that, well, they all are parts of a greater whole of the four of them. But Zelda is different. She is core to the BotW Series. For starters, we know for sure she has a key role in BotW 2, she might even be playable. AoC also is expanding her role even further. So if we rep BotW further, it is Zelda.

Now in terms of the main argument of Sakurai choosing to use ALbW Zelda instead, I think this is kind of moot. Given the growth of the BotW part of the franchise and Zelda herself in the past two years, I can see Nintendo leaning on him for this one. We know supposedly that Nintendo are the ones that call the shots. As I said above, I could easily see them either taking AoC or more BotW content for her moveset inspiration to keep her distinct from our own Zelda.

So, why am I personally not super confident? Well, we only for sure have 4 spots left. While I personally think that the idea of either a few fighters after FP2 or an FP3 is not something we can completely discount, it as of now is uncertain if we are getting more characters. I also think that there are three character in particular right now that I think have slots locked down out of that list. So that means that I am not sold on her making it over a lot of competition. Think of my percents like betting odds. Zelda? 5/1 for example.

Abstain Want

After doing such a long takedown, you would expect that I would have strong feelings towards this character. To be honest, I do not. I want more info on her after playing BotW2 and AoC before I make my verdict. Who knows? Maybe she will be my preferred Zelda Rep. Maybe she will go down as a character I was against like Byleth. Who can say for now.

Coco as Crash's Echo/Costume x10

Today we are rating The Stretchers...from the Stretches. They may haphazardly save lives, but will they haphazardly get into Smash? Rate the Stretchers in chance and want. Tommorow we are rating Amiya from Arknights. Arknights is a mobile game that is relatively successful, would that translate to Smash success? Predict Amiya from Arknights

Now for other news. The RTC Tournament.

After a narrow vote, the RTC Toruney will be held on Sunday, November 1st, at 3:30 PM as a sign in time, and matches starting at 4:00 ish. Eastern Standard Time. Ruleset is in this Challonge link, sign up for it here. https://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/z5Svitd0BY#/signup/40ltlvbb4r7

The prizes are bonus Noms for top 3. Sad that your favorite character is not higher on the noms list? Win and give them a push. For more info on the tournament PM me, either here on on Discord.

Speaking of the discord, here is the obligatory discord plug.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
No music post for today because I seriously couldn't find any music tracks of The Stretchers online (all I get are Let's Plays and music from Dunkirk). The game does indeed have music but as far as I can tell no one has bothered to upload it yet. I guess I'll just post the launch trailer of the game so people know what it's about.

The Stretchers

An indie game published by Nintendo that was revealed and released in November 2019. The second fighter pass lineup was already decided on by that time so there's no way they're getting in unless Nintendo forced it in as a promotional pick (which I seriously doubt). Even if it weren't for the timing, The Stretchers doesn't really seem like a game that would get a Smash character considering that no one really talks about it.

Want: 5%
I'll admit the game does look fun and I can see the Stretchers being a fun Ice Climbers-like fighter. But there are just soooo many other characters I'd rather have first. Especially when it comes to indie characters since I have a lot of other preferred choices from that genre alone.

-----

Amiya chance prediction: 0.20% (first time in a while I had to google the character)

Nominations:
Concept: The remaining SSB4 DLC Mii Costumes return (or get a deluxe enhancement) x5

Lyncario

Smash Ace
The Stretchers

Chances: 0%

The 0% is for one big and ery obvious reason, which is that the game came out in November 2019, and by this time, we know that the second fighter pass was mostly chosen by NIntendo (in Byleth's presentation, Sakurai said that it was recorded in November, but also that the second fighter pass was already chosen). And it's also a western game. It's published by Nintendo, sure, but the highter ups at Nintendo just couldn't have looked at it and go "yes, this game will have characters playable in Smash Bros", I just don't see any reality where it hapened, especialy since it's made by Tarsier Studio, a company from Sweden, while Intelligent System is located near to Nintendo's hq, not more than a continent apart, making it extremly unlikely that they would choose them to be in Smash before or very close to the release of the game, especialy since Tarsier isn't nearly as close to Nintendo as IS is. I just can't see it hapening at all. And even then, how could it be picked over most western series, indie or not? It would be lucky to even get spirit.

Want: 10%

I just discovered them some days ago and I don't want them in Smash at all. Like, they would just kinda be there, I guess? I barely even have an idea of what their game is, and I feel like they wouldn't really be fun to play or fight by the look of the trailer, though I did not play the game (obviously), so I probably don't know them enough to really say. But yeah, I don't want them in from what I saw.

Prediction

Amiya: 5.9%

Nominations

Cynthia x5

After a narrow vote, the RTC Toruney will be held on Sunday, November 1st, at 3:30 PM as a sign in time, and matches starting at 4:00 ish. Eastern Standard Time.
Welp, I won't be able to participate in it due to school restarting the next day, and because of my European time zone, this would make me stay up way too late. Oh well, good luck to everyone that will take part in it.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
No music post for today because I seriously couldn't find any music tracks of The Stretchers online (all I get are Let's Plays and music from Dunkirk). The game does indeed have music but as far as I can tell no one has bothered to upload it yet. I guess I'll just post the launch trailer of the game so people know what it's about.

Holy ****, did the game bomb that hard?

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Stretchers

Chance: 1 to 5%. If they do get in, they would most likely become spirits or Mii Costumes. But if the Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt and Pirahna Plant can be playable in Smash, then almost anything is possible in this game.

Want: 50%. They would be an honestly surprising choice for Smash Bros, and they could be fun to play as. But overall, I would be surprised if they got in, and unexpected characters are what makes Smash very popular, unique and less predictable.

Prediction: Amiya (5%)

Noms: 5 for Echo: Bowser

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
The Stretchers
I just don't see any reality where it hapened, especialy since it's made by Tarsier Studio, a company from Sweden, while Intelligent System is located near to Nintendo's hq, not more than a continent apart
I get why they're not likely, but a character being made in Sweden is not an argument when we just got Steve. Where is Mojang located again?

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I get why they're not likely, but a character being made in Sweden is not an argument when we just got Steve. Where is Mojang located again?
That was a bad wording from me. I was trying to say that it cuoldn't be a situation like Byleth, where they would choose the character before/very close to the release of the game. I edited it to be more clear.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This fighter can streeeeeeeeeeeeetch

Chance: 0% Some characters just aren't fighting material, this is literally just 2 dudes with a hopsital stretcher thing, Smash is no stranger to giving creative movesets from nothing, but this is just ridiculous. This is a very unknown game completely devoid of fan demand, while there are characters that are smaller but still get the honour of joining Smash but those characters are either heavily requested or left an undeniable impact, this game is so unnoteworthy that it's Wikipedia page is shockingly empty. I feel like the only reason anyone could think this has any chances is by assuming it's a Nintendo IP and wanting to 'predict' it as a promotional pick

Want: 0% I don't know how anyone could look at this and consider it Smash worthy, I already mentioned the moveset stuff as I can't see how anyone could make anything even remotely fun from this, but the game itself is like 10 years too late for the market, a dumb physics based game would have been very popular then as seen by Octodad, which this looks like a considerably less charming version of. I'm genuinely curious what people who could possibly find anything appealing here have to say as I'm writing this in advance of the day out of boredom. I'm pretty open to smaller characters getting in Smash, hell, see who I've been nominating, but when a game's Wikipedia section doesn't even show how the game was received, I feel that's taking the piss. This day being the only way I'd even know of the game doesn't help either and I can't imagine anyone popping off or being able to fake excitement about this either if this somehow happened

Miriam x10

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Is it not illegal to attack medical workers?
Double Zeroes
They're western indie-characters and not one of the popular ones. Despite being published by Nintendo I haven't really seen anybody talk about the game so I doubt it's all that succesfull. Not that it matters since The Stretchers kinda came out to late in the context of the finalization of Vol 2 and Nintendo for sure isn't picking some western indie-game that hadn't proved itself at the time (and honestly still hasn't) as the promotional pick of all characters. With them being a pair of ambulance staff, I can't really imagine how they would work in Smash but I don't think they'd even reach that stage of development anyway. There are far better picks for indie characters or just challenger packs in general because these guys just seem like spirit material at absolute most.

Amiya: 0.70%
The Knight x5

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
but wasn't Min Min the ARMS rep? We won't get another stretchy fighter.

Chance - 0%. Same thing everyone else is saying. It's an indie that accomplished absolutely nothing with it's existence. The only thing of note is that Nintendo published it.

Want - Abstain. I've never played this game, and I don't care about it.

Noms: PMD x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The Stretchers

0% Chance

Indies in my opinion were always something kind of overrated in the Smash community. You need to be something that caught wildfire to make it in as a nod. Undertale, Bit Trip, Shovel Knight, Shantae, or Cuphead. All those are big deals in terms of indies. The biggest Indie game of all time, Minecraft, got in Smash. Yes I know it is not indie anymore but it started as an indie so I am counting it. The only "big deal" indie content I currently expect is a Hollow Knight or Hat Kid costume. Maybe Reimu if I am optimistic but I doubt it.

That brings us to these dolts. I did not know anything about them before this day. They clearly are not that big of a deal. Nintendo publishing the game is interesting, but the timing already does not help these two. We are more likely to get Mii costumes from say Among Us or Fall Guys, which already is unlikely.

1% Want

Pity want here, mainly because I think the moveset would be funny. The idea of two idiots with a stretcher could be fun. But this is not something I really want. Spots potentially are limited, and these dolts dont do it for me. Now, if we got spirits, I would be surprised mainly but I would not care. I would feel these two would genuinely make me dissapointed.

Coco as Crash's Alt/Echo x 10

Join the RTC Tourney

Last edited:
Top Bottom