• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Okay?
Elaborate.
It's questionable whether or not Agnès even counts as the protagonist of Default, since a very strong case could be made for Tiz, as he's the character you control by default. In Second, she's not even playable, and instead acts as more of a mixture of the damsel in distress and your exposition fairy via long-distance communication pendant. And II currently looks like it's more of a Final Fantasy style sequel instead of a direct one, since apparently the devs (for whatever reason) thought that Second turned out bad, hence Agnès chances of making an appearance are pretty low.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Neku

Chance: Abstain
Not in the mood to break down an actual chance score but I think he is easily one of Square's underdog/sleeper picks (speaking of underdogs...). The TWEWY anime and the game's increasing presence in Kingdom Hearts also helps show that Neku has not been forgotten by Square.

Want: 90%
I love TWEWY and Neku would be a great fighter. The game has a ton of amazing music tracks and Neku has a ton of potential thanks to the tons of pins in the game. TWEWY is also a very vibrant and colorful game which is always a plus for a Smash character to me. Along with Lara Croft, Neku is easily my most wanted Square character.

-----

Abstaining on Agnes

-----

Tracer chance prediction: 16.50%
Diablo chance prediction: 12.00%

-----

Nominations:
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x20 (using my 15 extra noms)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Dearly Beloved always makes me tear up. Have a weepy calcs update.

Takamaru
3.36% Chance - 59.56% Want
Last time we rated him he got 1.41% chance and 39.92% want. This was rated presuming that his AT was no issue, yet he still grew in both areas by a lot. Maybe people are more lenient to Assist Trophies, or Nintendo characters. Or it could be that being rated with Lip and Mach Rider made him look better than when he was rated with the likes of Waluigi and Isaac.
Winner of predictions was Ridrool64 Ridrool64 with 3.20%

Lip
7.49% Chance - 62.14% Want
Last time we rated her she got 3.92% chance and 48.94% want. That was just a couple of days after Joker's reveal, so of course things looked quite grim for her. Between then and now, we've gotten two first-party characters and Panel de Pon got an international release, which explains her rising scores.
Winner of predictions was Sari Sari with a near-exact 7.50%. .01% off! So you get 10 extra noms.
However, I should point out that there was a single outlying score that put Lip at over 40% chances. Without that, she'd have gotten a 5.09% chance.

Mach Rider
3.29% Chance - 57.31% Want
Last time we rated her she got 2.93% chance and 57.92% want. Honestly, not much has changed for her since then (this was when we were waiting for Joker to release).
Winner of predictions was Ridrool64 Ridrool64 again with 3.20%

Chorus Kids
11.32% Chance - 76.69% Want
Last time we rated them they got 10.69% chance and 54.50% want. The small surge in chance could be explained away by Byleth and Min Min being included since, but over 20% rise in want? I got nothing, that's just astonishing.
Winner of predictions was waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi with 10.66%
In a shocking turn of events, the Chorus Kids are now the second most wanted character!

Karate Joe
8.75% Chance - 75.82% Want
Last time we rated him he got 9.94% chance and 47.97% want. He took a slight dip in chance, so I guess perception of likelihood shifted from him towards the Kids a bit. But, damn, that's a nearly 30% difference in want!
Winner of predictions was waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi with 8.89%
And Karate Joe is the third most wanted character, right after the Chorus Kids.

Rhythm Girl
6.68% Chance - 72.73% Want
Last time we rated her she got 5.02% chance and 37.25% want. She was rated a few days after the other two, and the pattern is the same: a small change in chance (positive, like the Kids), and massive rise in want.
Winners of predictions were Sari Sari and NintenRob NintenRob with a precise 5.00%
Unlike the other two, Rhythm Girl barely misses out on the top 5 most wanted characters (she's 6th). She does however make it into the top 5 for first-party characters, landing 4th place.

Obviously it's quite surprising to see three Rhythm Heaven characters all nabbing +70 want scores in the same day. While normally you'd see that in characters where the fans really came out in droves to rate them, that wasn't the case here, and in fact the ratings were mostly the usuals (I don't think the RH thread was even notified). I can think of a few reasons why this happened though. One, there were few ratings. This by itself doesn't explain why the ratings were so positive, though it might be that people with negative opinions simply abstained. Two, ARMS getting a rep despite not much of a promotional bent might have made people more keen to get characters from new, unrepresented first-party franchises. Three, the future of the franchise is in doubt, which could've led fans to want a Smash rep more urgently to save or even level up the franchise. Four, I noticed that many marked the inherent moveset uniqueness of any of these characters as a positive, so that could be playing a big part. Either way, Rhythm Heaven basically runs the most wanted, and with most of the big dogs of speculation already having been rated in this rerate schedule, it looks like it'll be so for a long time.

Geno
39.88% Chance - 63.85% Want
First rating (post-Nov 1st Direct, pre-release): 18.10% chance - 43.03% want
Second rating (post-E3, pre-Terry): 8.09% chance - 54.39% want
Third rating (post-Terry, pre-Byleth): 39.71% chance - 61.90% want
Fourth rating (post-Byleth, pre-ARMS rep): 42.50% chance - 62.93% want
Won't go in-depth to why Geno's scores changed through time because it seems self-explanatory given each "stage" of speculation. However I'll mention that Geno pretty much seems to have settled, as the last three ratings have yielded similar scores.
Winner of predictions was YoshiandToad YoshiandToad with a precise 37.00%

Sora
34.78% Chance - 68.38% Want
First rating (post Nov 1st Direct, pre-release): 15.87% chance - 38.64% want
Second rating (post E3, pre-Terry): 7.32% chance - 47.47% want
Third rating (post-Terry, pre-Byleth): 39.40% chance - 63.67% want
Fourth rating (post-Byleth, pre-ARMS rep): 40.58% chance - 54.44% want
Sora's scores, unlike Geno's, aren't clear cut at all. The first 2 ratings are obvious, but the last 3 are pretty odd. Why was his chance score higher when we started getting Nintendo characters than after? And why did it fall between them and now, when we have a Kingdom Hearts game coming to Switch? And how do you explain that erratic want? I think it'd be better if we stopped rating Sora on the same days as Geno, given how they're sometimes seen as competition and that might be affecting the scores.
Winner of predictions was waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi with 34.68%
Sora is now the fifth most wanted third party character!
These two characters' roles as controversial choices was incredibly notable this time. Both their want scores were on track to get 80+ scores, and then they tanked. Though I wonder if Sora's controversial with the Geno fans that came to the thread to support their guy, or with the Smash fandom in general...

Rayman
22.86% Chance - 59.00% Want
First time we rated him he got 36.86% chance and 59.88% want. This was for the pre-release window; so I don't even know if his Spirit was a known factor. Second time we rated him he got 8.15% chance and 64.03% want. This is from after E3, and it's safe to say that the sentiment was that Spirits disconfirmed at that point in time. Last time we rated him he got 11.53% chance and 52.35% want. Obviously things got a bit better with the confirmation of further DLC, but it wasn't until now, with the Spirits barrier completely gone, that make have decided to be more confident in him. Want seems to come and go, but with no new games that's probably just cause of the whims of participants.
Winner of predictions was DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire with 23.43%

Travis Touchdown
43.45% Chance - 55.00% Want
First time we rated him he got 12.88% chance and 43.00% want. This was solely on the promotional potential of Travis Strikes Again, which now seems quaint in comparison. Last time we rated him he got 45.28% chance and 62.86% want. This is where his chances seem to lie after the bombshell announcement of No More Heroes III at TGA. But strangely enough his want really fell. Maybe the hype isn't as strong now? It's been pretty long since then and we've had little more in the way of advertising for it.
Winner of predictions was Blankiturayman Blankiturayman with a precise 45.00%

Extra noms

Artix Artix 15
Awakining Awakining 5
Blankiturayman Blankiturayman 5
Calamitas Calamitas 25
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 15
DaUsername DaUsername 97
Delzethin Delzethin 5
DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire 5
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 25
Icedragonadam Icedragonadam 5
KingofPhantoms KingofPhantoms 5
NintenRob NintenRob 30
Nemuresu Nemuresu 10
Ninjaed Ninjaed 20
Perkilator Perkilator 5
Ridrool64 Ridrool64 15
Sari Sari 15
SKX31 SKX31 5
Troykv Troykv 15
waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi 15
Wunderwaft Wunderwaft 5
YoshiandToad YoshiandToad 5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Got hit by Derecho and just got my power back. Will abstain for now since IDK how much time I have and I also don't care about these 2 characters.

Predictions
Diablo - 4%
Tracer - 9%

Noms:
Jin Sakai x3
John Marston x2

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Neku

Chance - 5% - All signs point to a new game on the horizon, but it's hard to say when it's coming out. Regardless of what you many think, The World Ends With You was certainty a memorable game for the DS which has a cult following which remains to this day. The hints of a rival to the series is causing the fanbase to flare, and the inclusion of a Smash character would definitely put the highlight on the series. The problem is, we don't know when this sequel is coming, if it is at all, and the timing will certainly play a part. Expect this to go up if there is a revival, but for now I'll be a bit conservative.

Want - 75% - Honestly, he seems fine, and an interesting addition. I don't know a ton, but he at a least seems like he could make an interesting move set.

Agnes

Chance - 7.5% - I'm giving her a few more points just because she's a bit more recent, being on the 3DS, and has an actual sequel alongside another game. Other than that, the two share similar strengths, so I'm giving her an edge.

Want - 60% - Eh. Don't care much either way. I'll take her over most third parties, but other than that I won't mind not getting her.

Nominations

Monster Hunter X5

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Im beat so I’m not making puns or witty discussion.

It’s blizzard day. Rate Tracer and Diablo. Also screw it, rate Concept:Warcraft rep too. Since I literally made this decision last minute, everyone gets five extra noms.

Predict the scores for Sephiroth and 2B.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Tracer
Chance: 30%. Overwatch is big. It was game of the year for 2016, it popularized the Hero Shooter genre (Didn't start in, though; That was TF2), and it basically became Blizzard's new cash cow. As for the whole controversy surrounding it... Nintendo wouldn't care. We have Konami reps already, and Nintendo's working with Tencent to bring Switches to China. The main reason I deduct points is the competition; Blizzard has stated Diablo would be their fighter of choice, and even then the Blizzard side would have to compete with the Activision side (Re: Crash Bandicoot). There's also been questions about other heroes getting the spot, but I doubt it. Tracer herself was singled out as the preferred rep by Kaplan himself (At least, I think it was Kaplan). If we get an Overwatch rep, I think it'd be Tracer. Still, it's a possibility.
Want: 40%. I'm neutral. My friends are into Overwatch, but it doesn't really click with me. Not much else to say.
Diablo
Chance: 45%. Pretty much the same points as Tracer, just shove him back about a decade. That, and the aforementioned favoritism on Blizzard's behalf. Don't know enough to say any more, though.
Want: 40%. Neutral, think he'd be cool, yadda yadda. You know the drill.
WoW Rep
Chance: 40%. WoW's a big part of the MMO genre, and is one of Blizzard's big franchises. But again, above point: They want Diablo first. And beyond that, not much else to say.
Want: 45%. Again, I don't know much, so I'm neutral. Still, an extra 5% awarded for the interesting concepts presented. I've at least heard of a lich king and an orc shaman. An WoW rep would bring a unique Western fantasy flavor to Smash we currently lack.
Predictions:
2B: 42.74%
Sephiroth: 29.76%
Nomination: Klonoa x10

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Sounds like the protagonist of a drawing game

Chance: 13%

Remember when people were causing commotion because of the Overwatch Switch case leak? Those were the days, and oh look, an Overwatch character has not made it into Smash yet despite what people were saying.

Moving on, there is one thing I want to address first. The Overwatch director was recently asked what character he wanted in Smash and he said Tracer. People are going to see that as a deconfirmation but the thing is that he was asked. He didn't say it out of the blue. No, he was asked and if he was under NDA, he was cornered and all he said is that he would like to see Tracer in Smash. He did not go into detail or anything like that so I see this interview as a non-factor.

Overwatch is a pretty popular game and it got released for Switch last year. Overwatch 2 is also supposedly coming out this year and on Switch too. I can see Activision wanting to push this game a lot, including adding a character from it to Smash and Nintendo does have an incentive to do that too. Overwatch certainly fits with Smash and Tracer is brimming with moveset potential and personality. Some people will point out that if an Overwatch character was to be announced it would have happened in the first pass because that's when Overwatch came to the Switch but to be fair Byleth was announced and released 6 months after his game came out so I don't see this as an issue.

As for obstacles, well Overwatch is in a similar situation to ARMS where there is no single easily identified protagonist. You can say Tracer is equivalent to Spring Man but Spring Man wasn't chosen. But on the flip side, the director of Overwatch did say he wanted Tracer, so this could easily be another Yabuki situation where Sakurai asks the director what character he wants. Still, there are definitely other options. But Tracer's biggest concern is the fact that Overwatch is an Activision IP. I really do think Crash is their frontrunner and I can't see Activision of all companies getting two characters in one pass. It could happen but so far there is no precedence for this. So yeah, Crash pretty much ruins her otherwise solid chance. But I'm still giving her this decent score because Overwatch was big for a while and I'm sure Overwatch 2 will be a big thing for Blizzard and Activision.

Want: 10%

Ouch. I wanted to give Tracer closer to something like 25% but the fact that she would effectively steal Crash's spot drops this score like a rock. I really didn't want to do this because while I don't really care for Overwatch, Tracer would be a wild character to play as and the stage would be neat. But I am cheering for Crash and even Spyro as well so I want them both to get in first.

Edit: After reviewing my next two scores where I give the characters a high want score anyways, I will just say that I would prefer them over Overwatch. Again not a fan of the game.

Diablos....er I mean Diablo. The Blizzard character, not the Monster Hunter monster.

Chance: 4%

Diablo 3 for Switch just came and went and now Diablo 4 isn't even confirmed for the Switch. Yeah, I think other Blizzard/Activision characters will take priority. There isn't much demand for this character and Activision has more popular and Nintendo-focused characters as I was just discussing. Besides, while the series is named after Diablo, there is a good chance that Sakurai would choose the playable character first. There isn't much for me to say other than I don't think Diablo would be a high priority for either Activision or Nintendo.

Want: 65%

This is a character who I never actually considered that much. But thinking about it, I want him in Smash. I've played a lot of Diablo 3 so I would be excited for it to get a dedicated challenger pack. Having a demon villain would be sick and he has great moveset potential. He can create fire walls, drain opponents of health, teleport, shoots a fire/electrical beam, and can create shadow clones. He would be super fun and the stage would be really cool.

He still loses some points because of Crash and Spyro though.

Warcraft rep

Chance: 5%

I wrote up the ratings for Tracer and Diablo earlier, not expecting to rate this. It's now midnight so I will make this quick. Warcraft is definitely a popular and very influential game. But most PC games are not popular in Japan and Warcraft is no exception. And again, I think Crash and even Tracer are more likely, especially since WoW has never been on a Nintendo system. Overall I can't see Nintendo being too enticed to go with a rep from this game.

Want: 55%

I've played a bit of WoW. I couldn't get into it but I did enjoy the gameplay and the world. I think the moveset and stage would be really interesting. There is also various creative designs they could use if they decide to use the playable character.

Predictions:
Sephiroth and 2B - I don't know how people will rate these so I will go with 35% for both

Noms: Ezio x10 (Using the 5 extra noms TCTPhantom just gave us. Thank you!)

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Tracer
Chance: 10%
Want: 20%

Diablo
Chance: 1%

Warcraft Rep
Chance: 30%
Want: 50%

I dont believe Nintendo and Activision Blizzard are in a particularly good point right now. While Activision Blizzard has allowed most of its games on Switch. The controversial "heated esports moment" is probably a sore spot for the both of them even if Tencent is doing business with the both of them.

A Warcraft rep is probably the safest pick. Not only is Warcraft a highly influential series but it's probably their least potentially controversial series. I'm not the biggest on Warcraft fan so I'll leave it at that.

Tracer and Overwatch while popular was more of a trend than anything else. Dont get me wrong when it first came out it basically took over the world for a while. But by 2019 when it arrived on Switch the general reaction was just "meh" as some of its playerbase had dropped off by this point. Even the announced sequel was met with a lukewarm reception. I would also like to argue that Overwatch has barely contributed anything to the "gaming zeitgeist". It didnt popularize or define shooters or even class based shooters. It popularized lootboxes though. In fact Overwatch was a series that was always dripping with controversy. From the over the shoulder pose (which btw is how I even heard about this game) all the way to Blitzchung (ironic cause Overwatch wasn't the controversial game) because of its timing on the Switch release. To the point that Nintendo was offering eshop refunds for the game, something Nintendo is not known for doing. So yeah... looking real unlikely.

Tracer herself doesnt do it for me. She lacks that legacy that Doomguy and Master Chief have when it comes to shooters. Not to mention both of those two come with so much more options for potential movesets compared to Tracer's two guns and blips.

Diablo, the series is Blizzards highest selling franchise (beating out even Warcraft surprisingly). It is routinely slated as one of the most influential Action RPG/Dungeon Crawlers of all time. With all three games doing particularly well both critically and commercially. Diablo 3 also came to the Switch while also being a light crossover with the Zelda series. Diablo himself is one of the few recurring characters in the series as the final boss. It's also worth pointing out that the Diablo series has potentially 3 games on the horizon. A rumored remaster of Diablo 2, the mobile Diablo Immortal, and Diablo 4 so the series is in a fairly healthy state right now.

Diablo himself has plenty to pull from in regards to his potential moveset. I reccomend the video by the Duke of Dorks where he gave Diablo a unique approach to stage control and zoning. Effectively forcing his opponents to fight like Diablo characters, basically forcing his opponents to play his game.

But you know what? None of that matters. Because the biggest reason Diablo will probably not be in Smash is the same reason why it would be amazing if he did. Diablo is figuratively the Devil. And as hilarious as it sounds to have a character that's literally Satan in Smash bros, Nintendo probably doesn't want to deal with a potential controversy.

Nominations: Chell x10

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Going to abstain from chance

Tracer
Want - 1000%
I love playing Overwatch and Tracer happens to be one of the heroes I like playing most (along with Wrecking Ball who is too cool and impossible). It's a character I like a lot in general, with a fun potential moveset, and representing a game that is still fairly significant and was much more so in its heyday. This one would be a huge addition for me, particularly since I expect Crash to reduce her chances significantly. I think in terms of large and popular third party reps, Crash is the one I expect and love, but Tracer is the one I would love much more but do not expect. Even if I would find it off to have her in this game before crash, I would be the last to complain lol
Also, while not informative of my want, I have to call out that it would be super cool to see an LGBTQ+ female main character recognized in smash brothers. That's pretty much a cherry on top.

Diablo
Want - 50%
I would enjoy this in the sense it's another big Blizzard title, but I have significantly less attachment to this series. I also wouldn't find playing as Diablo himself that alluring and would prefer to see something like a Crusader or a Demon Hunter. Or why not just give me Deckard Cain, that would be hilarious.

Warcraft Rep
Want - 75%
Interesting to me to see so many people think only of WoW when hearing Warcraft and not of the original three RTS games. Oh well, I guess in the end it makes no difference since it would probably be the same short list of possible characters: Arthas, Illidan, Sylvanas, Thrall or Jaina.
All of them would have excellent potential, and would be just cool to see in general. I also admittedly would have the want jump to 1000% if you gave me a playable Murloc, whether it's murky or just a generic one.

Since it's blizzard time I'll give you one more not in the books, feel free to ignore it in your numbers

StarCraft Rep
Want - 90%
While I'm nowhere as closely invested in StarCraft as I am in Overwatch, I would place this at 100% want if you gave me Kerrigan. It would be sick to see zerglings in Smash in general, and while getting a Protoss moveset on Artanis would potentially be super cool, I'm just so much more interested in what Kerrigan could bring. Raynor would be ok but probably the least interesting of the more likely characters.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Didn't the OW devs mention Tracer in Smash in a interview recently?
Would like to know if we have another Doomguy situation here.
Yeah. More specifically, it was during a Reddit AMA, here's the link for everyone to check out: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/i0t53g/comment/fzsim89?context=8&depth=9

Personally, I think that if it was a regular interview and they'd been asked that question, then there would be some ambiguity as to whether it would break NDA. But since it's an AMA, and the questions for those are vetoed, I think it's a pretty solid disconfirm.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Some songs to get into the Overwatch mood:

Some songs to get into the Diablo mood:

Some songs to get into the World of Warcraft mood:

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
Abstaining for Blizzard day.

Noms: Amiya (Arknights) x5
Is it safe to just nominate "Amiya"? As far as I know the Arknights character is far and away the most prominent character of her name.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Tracer
WIth the AMA where the developers said that they would like to have her in Smash a lot, I think that she is mostly disconfirmed. Even without that I never saw her as likely. The only reason she ever was in Smash speculation is because of how a Switchcase for Overwatch leaked and some Smashfans who lacks way too much self awareness though that it was a confirmation of Tracer in Smash for some reason. Like, what? It never made any sense, even for the already low standard of the Smash fanbase. But yeah, she has competition with Crash as Activision and Blizzard are actaly the same company, and that's a big yikes for her in my opinion.
Want: 30%
Meh, she bores me. This is most likely because I never played Overwatch, but I find her really boring for some reason, even outside of Smash. I always found Genji way cooler, but that may be because I find Raiden cool as hell and Genji takes obvious inspiration from him.

Diablo
Chance: 0.9%
Bla bla Activision Blizzard rep who is not Crash Bandicoot. Even against only Tracer, the only thing that he has is legacy because Diablo has a pretty big legacy and even Nintendo knows that, seeing how they let Blizzard put Ganondorf in the Switch version of Diablo 3. But yeah, he's unlikely in my opinion, but not much more than what Tracer is.
Want: 40%
He would be alright, I guess. I haven't played Diablo, but he's the devil or something so he must have some good moveset potential, at least enough to be fun and burn everything down. Also the music in Diablo is pretty good, even if nowhere near my favorite.

WoW rep
Chance: 0.7%
He's like Diablo in the way that he's an Activision-Blizzard rep who isn't Crash while also not being the adored child known as Overwatch wile having some very good points in legacy. But WoW isn't on the Switch, and there's no guest apearance of Ganondorf in it too. So yeah, WoW rep is just Diablo but with slightly worse chances.
Want: 35%
I have no idea what they would do or who it would even be, so I give it a neutral rating. I guess that they could maybe be kinda cool, but they just don't have the flair that characters like Bayonneta or Terry have.

Predictions:
Sephiroth: 8.7%
2B: 23.9%

Nominations: SMT rep x5

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Tracer

Chance: 20%. The creator of Overwatch wants Tracer to be in Smash, so this means that she is quite possible. Overwatch is very popular, and it’s appearance on the Switch only makes her more likely to show up.

Want: 50%. I think she would be a fun character to play as, and I can see her face off against Snake, Bayonetta and Joker, amoung others. Overall, I think she has some potential to be in this game.

Diablo

Chance: 15%. It also appear so that Blizzard wants Diablo to appear in Smash Bros as well. While Tracer is more likely, Diablo’s popularity and the fact that Diablo is an antagonist would help him out.

Want: 50%. Diablo would be a fun character to play as, and I can see him face off against Ridley and Ganondorf in a free for all. Overall, Diablo would be a unique choice in that he would be a playable third party antagonist.

Warcraft representation

Chance: 15%. World of Warcraft is quite popular, and I can see some representation in this game. It may not be playable characters, but it could be Mii Costumes or spirits that wouldn’t represent that franchise.

Want: 50%. I think World of Warcraft representation would help with the popularity of both franchises. With said, any playable fighter would be fun to play as. Overall, a warcraft rep would be a decent choice.

Prediction: Sephiroth (5%) and 2B (10%)

Noms: 5 for Boss: Rayquaza and 5 for Concept: Second F-Zero rep

Calamitas

Smash Champion
"Cheers luv, cavalry's queer!"

As far as I know, Overwatch has some popularity in Japan, so that's a plus. But on the other hand, that recent Reddit AMA is pretty damning, and of course, Blizzard has no real strong connection with Nintendo that we know of, and is, at the end of the day, still a Western company.

Want: Abstain.
While having a canonical lesbian be playable would be sort of nice, it's not enough for me to warrant a want score. Also, Blizzard bad.

World of Lightcraft

Chance: 0%

Warcraft has no noteworthy presence in Japan. Not much else to say on that series in particular. The lack of strong connection to Nintendo and being a Western company still applies.

I did play WC3 a decent bit back in the day, and I suppose I could get some enjoyment from a character like Thrall, Arthas, Illidan, Maiev or Jaina. But given that this is my only real exposure to that series, I don't really want a rep for it that much.

Don't you guys have phones Smash?

Same as it is with a Warcraft rep. Pretty much all the points I listed there apply here as well. Not much else to say.

Want: Abstain.
I only ever touched Diabolo for very short periods of time, and have a very minor interest in getting Diabolo 3 for Switch at some point at best. Nothing else for me there, so not enough to really give a want rating.

Predicting Sephiroth to get around 14.11%
Predicting 2B to get around 46.32%

Nominating Concept: A non-white/Asian human character x10
(At this point, I'll just continue boosting that one until either its day comes, or we get the next character revealed. Whenever either of those things come to pass.)

Tracer

Chance: 20%. The creator of Overwatch wants Tracer to be in Smash, so this means that she is quite possible. Overwatch is very popular, and it’s appearance on the Switch only makes her more likely to show up.

Want: 50%. I think she would be a fun character to play as, and I can see her face off against Snake, Bayonetta and Joker, amoung others. Overall, I think she has some potential to be in this game.

Diablo

Chance: 15%. It also appear so that Blizzard wants Diablo to appear in Smash Bros as well. While Tracer is more likely, Diablo’s popularity and the fact that Diablo is an antagonist would help him out.

Want: 50%. Diablo would be a fun character to play as, and I can see him face off against Ridley and Ganondorf in a free for all. Overall, Diablo would be a unique choice in that he would be a playable third party antagonist.

Warcraft representation

Chance: 15%. World of Warcraft is quite popular, and I can see some representation in this game. It may not be playable characters, but it could be Mii Costumes or spirits that wouldn’t represent that franchise.

Want: 50%. I think World of Warcraft representation would help with the popularity of both franchises. With said, any playable fighter would be fun to play as. Overall, a warcraft rep would be a decent choice.

Prediction: Sephiroth (5%) and 2B (10%)

Noms: 5 for Boss: Rayquaza and 5 for Concept: Second F-Zero rep
Sometimes I truly wonder if there's a character you don't think "would be fun to play as".

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Tracer

Chance: 5%
Since I sometimes still see people use the Hong Kong controversy as points against Tracer's inclusion, I'll address that in the spoiler tag below:

First off, I seriously doubt Nintendo cares about the Hong Kong incident to the point where they'd avoid collaborating with Blizzard. We have Simon/Richter in Smash even after all of the horrible things Konami did and Nintendo is even collaborating with Chinese company Tencent to bring Switches over to China. Oh and I sometimes get Overwatch ads on the Switch startup screen. So the idea that Nintendo would want nothing to do with Blizzard because they're this innocent company that makes games for kids is ridiculous.

On top of all of this, I still believe that all of the FP2 characters were decided on before the September 2019 Direct (the one that announced more DLC) which was a month before the Hong Kong controversy anyway. Backing out of a company deal isn't like swapping out a food item at the grocery store checkout: it's something that requires a ton of consideration and withdrawing from an already done deal could have severe financial consequences.

Now as for Tracer herself: Overwatch is still pretty popular, is getting a new game soon, and is now on Switch. And honestly... those are really the only major things she has going for her.

Blizzard is still a Western company which has a fair amount of hurdles on its own. Since Blizzard is a part of Activision I just can't see Nintendo choosing Tracer over Crash when the latter has much louder fan demand and a longer lasting history. It also doesn't help that the developer of Overwatch recently responded to a Reddit comment by saying that he wants Tracer in Smash. Responding to an in-person interview is one thing, but going out of your way to answer an optional text comment really gives me the feeling that she's not in. Of course there's a chance that the dev could've just been playing dumb, but I'm getting Matt Bozon vibes from how much they keep asking for Overwatch in Smash.

Want: 0%
I never cared about Overwatch and Tracer being an Activision/Blizzard character would most likely kill the chances of Crash who is one of my most wanted. Even if we had to get an Overwatch character, I would much prefer D. Va.

-----

WoW Rep

Series has virtually no presence in Japan which I think is basically a death sentence for a character's chances. The games are also PC exclusive which doesn't help when all of the other Activision/Blizzard big names like Tracer, Diablo, and Crash have appeared on Nintendo systems. Blizzard also seems more active on getting either Overwatch or Diablo into Smash first before WoW.

Never got into WoW since I hate subscription based games. None of the characters really interest me that much and a WoW rep would also get in the way of Crash so that's a big nope from me.

-----

Abstaining on Diablo

-----

Sephiroth: 11.07%
2B: 21.09%

-----

Nominations:
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x10

BowserKing

Smash Lord
The reason why I say the character would be fun to play as because, in my opinion, that is what should really matter in Smash. If they are fun to play as, I’ll give the character a higher rating, and they have potential to be Smash Mains. And if the moveset represents tha franchise very well, it would be a bonus. That is why I use it and that is my choice.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
I'm back from the dead, JoJo!
1597422415570.png

Now jokes aside, time to get back to rating.
Tracer:Chance 15%
Not much to say, she's a pretty popular character from a relatively new IP so I can see how she could be a choice. She's also been vouched for from her creator which signifies that Blizzard would be down to include her.
The knock against her character is the absolute ****show that Blizzard has become lately. Even Konami tried to clean up their reputation before Snake and Simon got in but they just seem to be digging themselves deeper and deeper into their hole via Act Man.

Want:0%
I was never a big Overwatch fan, even then if I wanted to get an Overwatch rep I'd only be interested in Hanzo or Genji. I only had about 2 Blizzard games so it wasn't a company I had much stock in. Then everything that came out about Blizzard for the past few years made me lose interest in any Blizz rep especially the HK stuff.
Abstain on the other 2

Nom: Yoshimitsu

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
That DB episode with her is still garbage
While it probably isn't a 100% deconfirmation, that Reddit AMA does seem pretty damning. Just doesn't seem like something you would say if you knew your character was actually negotiated for. Besides that, OW is a western FPS game that only came to Switch around the FP2 deadline so I think Nintendo would be on the hesitant side when it comes to her.

Blizzard bad and any interest I had in Overwatch prior is now gone in current year. Tracer doesn't even seem like she'd be any interesting moveset wise. I can think of many characters I'd take over her.

Chance: 0.01%
With the series having no presence on Nintendo systems or most consoles as a matter of fact and it also having no Japanese presence from what I've heard, it's hard to see Nintendo going for this series. People at Blizzard have also vouched for other series so that's some stiff competition, especially if you include Crash as well. To be fair, any Blizzard rep is way less likely than him.

Blizzard bad but I do have a softspot for WCIII. The campaign mode anyway, never really got the opportunity to get into the online/custom side of the game. I don't actively support characters like Thrall and Arthas since I know they don't stand a chance, they lack Nintendo presence and there are still western third-parties I'd prefer but I do think they'd be neat suprises if they did happen. Tho that's assuming it would be someone from III and not the way more legendary WoW which I wouldn't be familiar with. In that case I wouldn't care much.

Abstaining on Diablo, I know very little about it

Sephiroth: 9.42%
2B: 18.50%
Magolor x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Concept: A non-white/Asian human character x245
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x215
Tidus x205
Nate Adams x195
[Rerate] Ezio x180
Shuichi Saihara x176
Moogle x175

150 - 101

Alex Mason x140
[Rerate] Frisk x135
Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x130
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x121
The Stretchers x120
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x120
D.Va x115
Red (Angry Birds) x115
Zelda (BotW sequel) x110
Billy Hatcher x110
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x110
Echo: Xion (Sora) x105
Sakura Shinguji x105

100 - 51

Klonoa x100
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei rep x100
Proto Man x85
Concept: Deltarune content x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Riptor x80
Fulgore x79
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) x75
Boss: Ender Dragon x73
The Terrarian x65
Concept: Rocket League rep x65
Echo: Dark Bowser (Bowser) x62
Hades (Kid Icarus) x60
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x55
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x55
Amiya (Arknights) x55
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x54

50 - 25

[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x50
Giygas x50
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x50
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x50
Gooigi x50
Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA x50
Dr. Goomba Tower x45
Austin the Butler (Gardenscapes) x40
Stage: Bowser's Castle x40
Echo: Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool) x39
John Marston x37
Jin Sakai x36
The Bard (Wandersong) x35
Magolor x35
Concept: Returning stages x31
Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is half Nintendo and half third party x30
Urbosa x30
[Rerate] Monokuma x30
Boss: Rayquaza x29
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x27
Rival Pokémon Trainer x25
Concept: Dark Souls rep x25
[Rerate] Maxwell x25
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x25
Ghirahim x25
Concept: Fortnite character x25

Under 25

Echo (Olimar) x21
Yoshimitsu x20
Black Shadow x20
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x20
Lora and Jin x20
Concept: Fighter Pass 2 gets delayed x20
Zeraora x15
Wolf Link x15
Concept: FP2 character comes with an Echo Fighter x15
Cynthia x15
Taranza x11
Gran/Djeeta x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Concept: Bravely Default rep x10
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x10
Vi (Bug Fables) x10
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x10
Tetra x10
Demi-fiend x10
Chell x8
Mii Costume: Jacket x7
Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x7
Concept: Darkstalkers rep x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Mii Costume: Hat Kid x5
Concept: Portal 2 rep x5
Breath of the Wild 2 Ganondorf x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Cooking Mama x5
Jill (Drill Dozer) x5
Asuka (Senran Kagura) x5
Furret x5
Deku Scrub x5
Mii Costume: Edward Falcon x5
Concept: A LABO character x5
Concept: Bonus character x5
Concept: No AT promotions x5
[Rerate] Morrigan Aensland x5
[Rerate] Cadence x5
Octoling x5
Kazuya Mishima x5
Excitebiker x5
Zero (Mega Man) x5
Gil (Babylonian Castle Saga/The Tower of Druaga) x5
Concept: Generic Zora x3
Three Mage Sisters x2
Concept: A Pokémon Trainer who fights x2
Concept: A fighter who uses all kicks x2
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x2
Concept: Generic Goron x2
Kass x1

Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume crosses 200 noms and passes Tidus to take second place. Ezio and Shuichi Saihara both climb past Moogle. Ezio lands on 5th place, with Shuichi wallowing in 6th and Moogle barely floating over last place. It was a bad day to be a Final Fantasy character.

Gooigi and Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA reach 50 noms and are saved from the purge.

Ghirahim and Concept: Fortnite character escape the under 25 crowd.

Is it safe to just nominate "Amiya"? As far as I know the Arknights character is far and away the most prominent character of her name.
Sure, I'll know who you mean.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Maybe I'll be Tracer

As I said before, the devs saying they'd like to see her in on a Reddit AMA, to me constitutes a breach of NDA if she were actually coming. Leaving that 1% in case I'm wrong but it's not looking good. Unlike most people I actually felt pretty great about her chances. Blizzard is independent enough, corporate-wise and history-wise, for them to get a character independently of Activision and Crash getting in. And Tracer's iconic, from an incredibly popular, acclaimed and influential game that's on Nintendo, and is notable as a AAA game that announced its sequel would be coming to Switch just like any other console. The Blitzchung fiasco is unlikely to have swayed Nintendo in any direction, both due to timing and the reality that cash speaks louder than principle to corporations.

I'll take Crash or Spyro any day, but Tracer's more than earned a spot in Smash in my eye. Overwatch is definitely one of the breakout IPs of the last decade, and it's always cool to see some really fresh blood in Smash, like Splatoon and ARMS; makes you feel like you're not just reliving gaming history, you're also seeing it in the making. I don't do much in the way of online games so I've played very little Overwatch, but Tracer should be pretty fun in Smash.

That guy who dies in Suicide Squad, and also that movie by David Bowie's son

To me, Tracer's the only Blizzard character that could get in. Everyone else has to get in line. Diablo might be iconic to the PC audience but in the console landscape not so much, and since we've yet to see a PC-centric character get in, I'm gonna assume that it's not what they're looking at. Makes sense given how Japan doesn't really do PC gaming. Also I question if Diablo would be the rep chosen for the franchise since he's the villain, but who knows. As for Warcraft, it fares better than Diablo in the recognizability aspect: World of Warcraft is a much more mainstream game (or, was, I guess) and I assume most people can at least recognize the orc designs. But we've never seen a Warcraft game on a Nintendo system (not even ****ing Hearthstone! C'mon guys!) so the odds that it's a franchise Nintendo wants to get in bed with are low. Add to that the usual obstacle of being a Western company, and yeah, they're not getting in.

Want: 5%
I don't care about either of these franchises. I recognize their influence and all, but they seem pretty ill-suited for fighter representation. I think a stage or maybe Spirits would be better. You wouldn't see me complaining if they got in though. But, call me old-fashioned, I'd rather Warcraft at least get a game on the Switch first.

Noms: ****ing Tidus X10
Sephiroth prediction: 20.17%
2B prediction: too high for a character whose creator never met Sakurai until December. 28.91%

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Tracer

I don't know how much of this is my own bias talking, but I don't see Tracer happening. For starters, that AMA isn't the only time they've indirectly deconfirmed her (though it is the most notable). Secondly, keep in mind that Activision is involved here too. She's not getting in before Crash, plain and simple.
I'm sorry, but Overwatch in Smash is one of the few things I DON'T want. The game is way past relevancy even with the confirmed sequal (have they even updated us about that since Blizzcon?). Plus, Tracer herself is kinda boring, honestly. Like, she shoots you and then she teleports away. Okay... what else can she do? Seriously, WHAT ELSE CAN SHE DO? I still can't even figure that out. I may not know much about Master Chief or Doomguy, but I at least know they do more than just shoot people and bail.

Abstain on Diablo and Warcraft. I don't have an opinion on those two.

Nominations: Austin the Butler (Gardenscapes) x10 (assuming this qualifies for extra noms. If not, the usual 5).

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Tracer

Chance: 15% -
Overwatch, while its' playerbase is dwindling a bit, is still big, and with 2 on the horizon (confirmed for Switch as well), so Nintendo support with the series will carry on for the forseeable future. furthermore, with the controversies behind Blizzard for the moment, people are warming up to a Blizzard rep a little more (if evidenced by the want scores of the ratings above). Alongside that, Overwatch's Director WAS asked about Smash during an AMA and asked who people would want, which COULD be considered non-NDA-friendly, but he didn't go into detail, and for all we know we could get an Overwatch rep late into the pass and they could be surveying to help them choose who it will be. But that's just speculation, that could go either way at this point.

Aside from the AMA being potentially NDA-unfriendly, there's two main obstacles in her way. First being that we could very well get hit with a case of Min Min and get a character like Soldier 76, Reaper, or Lucio before her, though the Overwatch director favors her so that definitely helps negate it. The second is Crash, being internal Activision-Blizzard competition, but Blizzard is independent enough to make its' own deals, so we could possibly get both. It really just depends on whether or not that AMA was NDA-friendly.

Want: - 20% - Competition with Crash aside, I do see her time abilities creating some fun manuevers to play around, and Overwatch, despite being passed the hype days, has stood the test of time for now, and it has Nintendo support, something a lot of more "desirable" characters don't have whatsoever. Furthermore, I did play a bit of Overwatch with a friend a few yesrs ago and we had some silly headcanons for the characters so I do have good memories of her. But overall while she'd be fun, she isn't one of my top choices.

Diablo

Chance: 10% -
Diablo's in an odd situation. The state of the franchise isn't the best, and while Diablo 4 is coming, it has no confirmation for Switch, which isn't a good thing. But at the same time it's one of the few non-Smash 3rd party franchises (and a Western one at that) to get its' own amiibo: The Loot Goblin. This puts it in a unique position where Diablo is close enough to get an amiibo, but it doesn't seem as close as Overwatch does to Nintendo. While Diablo definitely feels like a historical pick for Sakurai, Nintendo's choosing the characters, and I don't know if Sakurai feels strongly enough about Diablo to campaign for him.

Want: 20% - Not really a character I have any experience with but would be interested in seeing what he brings to the table. Though I'd still prefer Crash, of course!

Concept: World of Warcraft Rep

Chance: 5% -
WoW has an undeniable impact on the MMO genre and is by and far Blizzard's most well-known and iconic series. While Diablo and Overwatch ended up overshadowing it in recent years, it still retains a big playerbase and has the historical and cultural impact that would definitely catch Sakurai's eye. Though like with Diablo, Nintendo is picking the characters, and World of Warcraft doesn't even have the Nintendo connections that Diablo ended up establishing, so it isn't likely that Nintendo would want to promote the franchise. While surprise picks were certainly a thing last pass, I don't see WoW being that choice unless Nintendo wants to add a character like Thrall to really sell the pass in China (a part of the world that LOVES Blizzard's games).

Want: 30% - I have no experience with World of Warcraft, but if we end up not getting an Elder Scrolls rep, then a character like Thrall would be a fun way to fill the Western fantasy character niche. Plus WoW has tons of cool characters to choose from, they'dno doubt pick someone unique.

Nominations:
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x10
Austin the Butler x5

Predictions:
2B - 40.21% - Expecting a LOT of overrates despite Nier/Drakengard's lack of care for Nintendo.
Sephiroth - 24.76% - While signs point towards another Square rep on the horizon, and FF7 remake is a thing, I don't see a huge spike in ratings scores for Sephiroth, especially since it'd be difficult to get a challenger pack's worth of content for him.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Before I get started here, just want to mention that no, Nintendo does not care about the China deal. If they did they wouldn't be working as hard as they are right now to expand into there

Tracer
Chance 15 - Not impossible I dont think. There's more than a few reasons to include her. Overwatch is popular in some parts of the east, but seemingly not Japan. Not sure what that means exactly but it's the same deal LOL has apparently. Also, Nintendo isn't going to care about Activision/Blizzards comments on China. They just started getting the switch over there. It would be weird if they were really bothered by someone supporting China while also supporting China at the same time. Crash being form the same company also does damage to Tracers chaces here because it feels like he's the golden choice there if we're getting someone from Activision. Dropping her score from 30 to 15 because it feels like overwatch isn't as popular as it was back in February when she was last rated.

Want 50 - Dont know much about Overwatch and dont play it. Would be fine with it since Tracer is fairly well known but otherwise I'd be a little down because I'd much rather have Crash. That being said I wouldn't mind too much since Overwatch getting into Smash would feel like

Diablo
Chance 5 - Hey, a new character. This one's kinda interesting too. On one hand, Diablo was a pretty popular series in the 2000s and does have a solid Nintendo history, making both of those reasons why Nintendo might care about picking them. Not that the latter really matters much anymore since we're at the point where we're arguing if an alt skin in a game with nothing to do with that character counts now, but I still think it still helps more to have it than not have it. The main things I think hold Diablo back right now are that it's a western series and that there's a lot of competition there and from Activision. I just can't see them going to Activision and asking for anyone but Crash right now. In the end I'll file Diablo away with the likes of Big Daddy and Dovahkiin for characters who would be super cool and probably deserve it but wont happen because they're from the west.

Want 70 - Never played Diablo but I remember it being really big when I was younger. Likely a series I'm gonna do since I'm crossing off a lot of stuff that I've wanted to play as of late.

World of Warcraft rep

Chance 2 - Not impossible, but feel very unconfident on it. I think WOW is the least likely out of the 3 we're rating today and also behind Crash and Spyro(who I think it owned by Activision at least) and since there's only 5 spots left that doesn't sell me much. Also, if we're getting a PC gaming rep I think League of Legends has a lot going for it including a potential Joker situation where there's likely games coming to the Switch in the feature from that series. Overall there's just too much infront of them in my opinion, although the game was very iconic and well known for a while so that could be enough.

Want - 50 Don't really care. There's a lot of others I'd prefer to get first but it's hard to deny that WoW matters in the history of gaming. So while it's not the top series on my mind to get a character, if it did then it's hard to argue it's not deserved

Predictions
Sepheroth - 13
2B - 35

Noms
Jin Sakai x5
John Marston x5

Last edited:

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Tracer:
That AMA really hurts Tracer's chances. IIRC Jeff Kaplan and Geoff Goodman are the ones in charge of Overwatch as a whole, so there's no way they wouldn't know about an Overwatch character getting added to smash. I haven't been too involved with Overwatch recently, so IDK if thats changed.

Want: 80%
I've played Overwatch, and while Tracer wasn't one of my favorite characters, I'd still be excited to see her get in. I'd much rather have a LoL rep was a western e-sports pick, but if I can't have that, Tracer isn't a bad consolation prize. I do have some concerns about her gameplay, as she be a ranged character with a lot of mobility. I think Sakurai would be able to make her not a completely degenerate character, but you never know sometimes. Bayonetta and Cloud were pretty damn strong at the end of Smash 4.

Warcraft Rep
Chance: 23%
I was going to give a low rating, but if what DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire said is true and it's going strong in China, around a 20% chance makes sense. That's around what I gave LoL reps a similar reasoning. A DLC pick that appeals to the Chinese market makes a ton of sense. WoW was one of the first big online games and if it's still really big in China, a Warcraft rep should be considered on the table.

Want: 20%
I'd much rather have Tracer if we're getting an Activision/Blizzard rep. This would be a pretty big deal though, so while it's not my first choice, I'd be OK with seeing it happen.

Abstain from Diablo.

Noms:
Alex Mason x5
Hades x5

Top Bottom