• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I don't remember KKR being the face of his franchise, but I assume you meant for DLC. In which case, you have Roy or Mewtwo from Smash 4.
At that point, though, Pikachu and Marth and Donkey Kong were all already in the game.

Spring Man not being the rep would change everything for potential newcomers, as it would give a case for the less "iconic" characters to get in over the face of the band from new series.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I don't remember KKR being the face of his franchise, but I assume you meant for DLC. In which case, you have Roy or Mewtwo from Smash 4.
DK was already in the game when K.Rool was added. Mewtwo and Roy are returning veterans.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
At that point, though, Pikachu and Marth and Donkey Kong were all already in the game.

Spring Man not being the rep would change everything for potential newcomers, as it would give a case for the less "iconic" characters to get in over the face of the band from new series.
The "from new series" is what's truly important. Still, that begs the question of what a "face of the series" is in some cases. For Xenoblade Chronicles X, people'd say it's Elma and not the avatar. Yet for Fire Emblem, we got Corrin instead of Azura. Hero's default skin is from DQXI. Also for both DQ and Persona, the mascots (Slime and Jack Frost) were set aside for the most recent protagonist. It's not always clear cut, so that rule (and others) should always be taken with a grain of salt.

That said, I do agree a character from ARMS (as opposed to ARMS 2) would trample at least one fan-made "rule", whoever is picked:
- Spring Man => ATs and spirits don't deconfirm
- Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle, Ninjara => spirits don't deconfirm, doesn't have to be the "face of the series"
- anyone else => doesn't have to be the "face of the series"

I've been hearing a lot about ARMS 2 today. Is that something in the works or rumored or is it just speculation?
The above being why people are speculating around a potential upcoming ARMS 2 announcement. A new face would respect all the previously established rules + be in line with the apparent trend of newcomers being the most recent addition to their series.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
None of those are the first character in their series. For the first character to rep a series, we've always gotten a main character - or a mascot, when applicable - be they first or third party.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
None of those are the first character in their series. For the first character to rep a series, we've always gotten a main character - or a mascot, when applicable - be they first or third party.
I... am aware, I've addressed that in the above reply. I just think we're focusing too hard on details when it's Nintendo who decides who feels most like the face of the series. If I take Trials of Mana, you could argue Duran is the face of the game, but you could argue just as well it's Riesz. Or for Golden Sun, Isaac, Matthew or the MC of a potential new entry in the series. In the end, Nintendo decides so their choice is the "correct" one - which we're trying to guess by speculating here.

I wanted to add something else though. Quoting myself from gamefaqs:

The "semi-reveal" + the free trial announcement both make me think Nintendo is trying to get people interested in the game again... but it already sold 2m. Most people already interested in it have already bought it. And it's not like more people on its online will make a big difference to Nintendo. They stand little to gain from ARMS now...

But as a lead-up to a sequel? Now we're talking! The first game fell more or less quickly under the radar so even with a DLC, Nintendo wouldn't be able to squeeze too much out of it. A sequel riding on ARMS early warm reception would definitely be the smart move to make.
I'll just add people grew relatively quickly out of ARMS so some people who've played the free trial will see no reason to buy it, having had their fun with it. Could also help explain why there's such a massive delay between Byleth and FP2 #1. Let me remind you Byleth's moveset was pretty much done in November. FP2 #1 comes out in June, 8 months later (or ~6 months after Byleth's release). Corona alone can't explain this. But ARMS 2 development slowed down, making them not prepared on time for the Direct? That makes much more sense to me.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I... am aware, I've addressed that in the above reply. I just think we're focusing too hard on details when it's Nintendo who decides who feels most like the face of the series. If I take Trials of Mana, you could argue Duran is the face of the game, but you could argue just as well it's Riesz. Or for Golden Sun, Isaac, Matthew or the MC of a potential new entry in the series. In the end, Nintendo decides so their choice is the "correct" one - which we're trying to guess by speculating here.

I wanted to add something else though. Quoting myself from gamefaqs:

I'll just add people grew relatively quickly out of ARMS so some people who've played the free trial will see no reason to buy it, having had their fun with it. Could also help explain why there's such a massive delay between Byleth and FP2 #1. Let me remind you Byleth's moveset was pretty much done in November. FP2 #1 comes out in June, 8 months later (or ~6 months after Byleth's release). Corona alone can't explain this. But ARMS 2 development slowed down, making them not prepared on time for the Direct? That makes much more sense to me.
I don't see how Coronavirus delaying ARMS 2's development would affect a character's release. Byleth shows that they don't really care much about the character matching up exactly with the game's release.

Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how Coronavirus delaying ARMS 2's development would affect a character's release. Byleth shows that they don't really care much about the character matching up exactly with the game's release.

Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying.
Let's say Stick Man is the ARMS 2 rep. You need a reveal trailer for both the character and the game. Now there's corona happening. One or the other wasn't fully ready yet but they've had to stop development.
=> can't do the reveal as initially planned. Because if they're announcing Stick Man, they have to be announcing ARMS 2 at the same time. What good would it do to reveal Stick Man, then 2 months later "oh btw new game announced, it's ARMS 2!!"... That news would already be 2-month old.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
So how are you guys planning to approach this new information? It's obvious ARMS is going to be the main discussion point until June, so instead of having them take up votes and such, it might be wise to devote some days to them.

You could do the short way and just ask for everyone's Top 3 Likeliest/Most Wanted in a single day. You'd tally them all up quickly that way, and you wouldn't have to spend time on guys like Misango or Byte & Barq.

Or, you could give every ARMS character their own day. After all, each one of them now had a greater chance of getting into Smash that 99.99% of all video game characters right now. And it's not as if any of them will have a shot at Smash after FP6.

Mini Direct: 5/10. Not very much that interested me beyond Good Job! and Smash. It's a little silly that they give so much time to Pokemon too, as if Animal Crossing didn't just steal everyone's hearts for the rest of the year. Are those Urshifus really expected to carry the Switch? Strange - but honestly, given the life cycle of game development and console generations, I'm not surprised that 2020 could be a slow year.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So how are you guys planning to approach this new information? It's obvious ARMS is going to be the main discussion point until June, so instead of having them take up votes and such, it might be wise to devote some days to them.

You could do the short way and just ask for everyone's Top 3 Likeliest/Most Wanted in a single day. You'd tally them all up quickly that way, and you wouldn't have to spend time on guys like Misango or Byte & Barq.

Or, you could give every ARMS character their own day. After all, each one of them now had a greater chance of getting into Smash that 99.99% of all video game characters right now. And it's not as if any of them will have a shot at Smash after FP6.

Mini Direct: 5/10. Not very much that interested me beyond Good Job! and Smash. It's a little silly that they give so much time to Pokemon too, as if Animal Crossing didn't just steal everyone's hearts for the rest of the year. Are those Urshifus really expected to carry the Switch? Strange - but honestly, given the life cycle of game development and console generations, I'm not surprised that 2020 could be a slow year.
For the ARMS days, I was thinking maybe we could group them based on the image that was shown to announce the rep. The first day would be Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Master Mummy, and Min Min. The second would be Mechanica, Twintelle, Byte & Barq, Kid Kobra, and Helix. Finally, the third day would be Max Brass, Lola Pop, Misango, Springtron, and Dr. Coyle. That's just how I would do it, though.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I think the optimal strategy would be to continue as normal prior to June 5th, and then on that day a mini-fixed schedule begins. I'm assuming June 11th is the day of a direct, because June 11th would have been E3 time and thus there is likely a full blown general direct planned for around that time, plus it's a Thursday which is Nintendo's favorite day of the week. We know we're waiting until June for Smash news, but we've been given breadcrumbs.

Day X-1: Spring Man (ARMS) - The protagonist of the game, but also an Assist Trophy. (6th)
Day X-2: Concept: ARMS rep with a Spirit/Ribbon Girl, Twintelle, Min-Min & Ninjara - All of the most popular and iconic characters are here. (7th)
Day X-3: Concept: ARMS 1 rep missing from base game - Nintendo could easily do this to us. (8th)
Day X-4: Concept: ARMS 2 rep (and, technically, ARMS 2 itself by extension) - As some are speculating. (9th)
Day before the presentation: June Direct Predictions. (As, by default, there is likely to be a June Direct since we have information upcoming.) If it turns out there is no presentation announcement on June 9th, which is usually the day, then we can skip this one. (10th)

There's not much point to nominating any individual ARMS character because either they're a Spirit, an Assist, or would be a really random choice, or we don't even know it/they exist.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I'd really rather not rate every single ARMS character personally. That a lot of ratings and eventually its going to just be typing the same thing over and over. I like the idea Ridrool has above or just pick a top 3.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Let's say Stick Man is the ARMS 2 rep. You need a reveal trailer for both the character and the game. Now there's corona happening. One or the other wasn't fully ready yet but they've had to stop development.
=> can't do the reveal as initially planned. Because if they're announcing Stick Man, they have to be announcing ARMS 2 at the same time. What good would it do to reveal Stick Man, then 2 months later "oh btw new game announced, it's ARMS 2!!"... That news would already be 2-month old.
Oh, I get it now, but that only applies if the fighter is a character from ARMS 2. I'm not seeing that as likely.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

We are currently discussing that right now for the Arms day. Just see what people think will be the rep. Expect info on it after the week ends. For now tho I would be in favor of a soft ban on ARMS noms, but we will see what people want.

In terms of after that, we will likely finish this week out and then do a top 3 day of some sort. Either overrated or underrated or something in terms of rerates. Instead of doing a huge month after Byleth something that would be a week tops.

Last edited:

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
I would really rather not have to go through every arms character and rate them. That sounds really tedious. I'd rather just have a day where we talk about arms or an over/underated kind of thing

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Direct reaction: Honestly it wasn't that great. The only announcements that really interested me were the ARMS newcomer and Clubhouse Games. Xenoblade looks good, too.

ARMS: I still think we should have individual ratings for each character, mainly because there's never been a situation where Nintendo showed a list of characters and basically said "one of them is in, but we won't tell you who until later", and there's the off chance that one of the characters we don't rate ends up being the one that's playable.
If you wanna prevent the thread from being 2 or so weeks of just Arms, maybe we could continue with the normal schedule but have an Arms rating every few days.
Something like:
Day 409: Spring Man/Ribbon Girl/Ninjara
Day 410: Crypto
Day 411: Octopath rep
Day 412: Master Mummy/Min Min/Mechanica
And so on.
We have two months, we might as well use them.

amageish

Smash Master
Direct Reactions: Given the circumstances, I really liked it! I wouldn't expect the Fall/Holiday titles to be revealed via a Mini Direct shadowdropped in the midst of a global pandemic, so I'm pretty satisfied. The games shown were all pretty cool and I like some of the smaller stuff Nintendo has been doing lately.

Xenoblade and Bravely Default 2 both look fantastic, even though Bravely Default 2's naming convention continues to confuse me. Good Job seems pretty cool. Clubhouse Games is exciting in a "Well, that is a lot of minigames" way, though I'm curious how much it'll cost... The 2K ports and Catherine's port being leaked in advance kind of took the wind out of the sails of that announcement, but it's still nice to have them formally confirmed.

Question: How did this thread function after the SNK leak? As that's kind of the closest precedent to the ARMS reveal, with the character being known to be in part of a certain set and everyone having opinions about who it could/should be...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Reactions:

I thought it was pretty nice. It's not the biggest thing ever, they confirmed that COVID-19 is affecting stuff, and they gave us some fun details and a good mystery for FP6.

I like that FP6 can possibly have Spirits and AT's alone. The fact these are treated on the table is a good thing and only makes speculation more fun. Albeit, it only really affect base game Spirits(and there's no DLC AT's as of yet to worry about), so that's pretty neat overall.

9/10. I'd have liked more downloads announced like some older games available(I don't expect some cause too obscure. But yeah), but overall, nice.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Question: How did this thread function after the SNK leak? As that's kind of the closest precedent to the ARMS reveal, with the character being known to be in part of a certain set and everyone having opinions about who it could/should be...
We didn't do anything special since the leak happened about two days before the actual reveal. Also the leak wasn't an official announcement like in the case of the ARMS character. It would've been super awkward if we had a week for SNK ratings and then it turned out the leak was an error and we didn't get an SNK character at all.

Fun fact: we were actually going to rate Terry about a week after the leak since he was on the top of the noms list at the time (courtesy of noms from yours truly). A similar thing happened with Joker who got revealed a few weeks before his rating.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Direct rating: 5/10
Personally I didn't really need something like this. Just more ports of old games, games I was never interested in, and stuff I'd just play on PC or another console. Not what I really jumped to a Switch for. Crystal Chronicles Remastered and that new Samurai Jack are looking to be the final games I'll be adding to my Switch library. Not that there'd be anything wrong with that, I'd have more than enough to play at that point.
ARMS being the next Smash DLC is a great surprise and I'm really happy to hear that Nintendo decided to give some attention to a new 1st-party franchise.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
After thinking about it I think this is how I think I'd do it

1 day for your top 3 guesses as to who the ARMS rep is
1 day for your top 3 least likely ARMS rep
1 day for the possibility that it's something surprising, like an Arms 2 character, a Bowser Jr type deal,or any other theories that might pop up

That should cover it all without having to make everyone rate 15 different characters when a lot of the ratings would be the same. If we really want to have all 15 plus Biff rated we could have relaxed rules days too where multiple characters go but you only have to hit the sentence limit on a few of them maybe? NGL, kinda warmed up to the idea of doing all the characters even though thats a lot of ratings and it hard for people who don't know the series and that would help with the best of both worlds there

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
NGL, kinda warmed up to the idea of doing all the characters even though thats a lot of ratings and it hard for people who don't know the series and that would help with the best of both worlds there
It helps that the game is free for NSO users, so most people are able to give the game a try and become familiar with the characters (I'm assuming that Smash players play online).

As for the 3 least likely characters, I don't know, would that be exciting? I feel like there wouldn't be much discussion in that.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
It helps that the game is free for NSO users, so most people are able to give the game a try and become familiar with the characters (I'm assuming that Smash players play online).

As for the 3 least likely characters, I don't know, would that be exciting? I feel like there wouldn't be much discussion in that.
Yeah, I suppose that wouldn't be. Whatever solution thats both fun and not overkill im down with

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Crypto from the Destroy All Humans! series.

Predict Concept: Octopath Traveler rep.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get in the mood for today's character:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've played the Destroy All Humans games, so I feel like I can vote on this.

Chance: 5% - the Destroy All Humans series was a lot of fun (even if the quality went down a bit with the third and fourth games - they didn't even get the original voice actors back for the Wii game, and the voice actors were part of the appeal for me), but it's a franchise that hasn't been around since the Wii. On top of that, at least from what I've seen, there's little to no demand for it in Smash.

Want: 55% - Crypto would be a fun character, and the developers could get really creative with him (I haven't played DAH2, but I've played the other games in the series). However, there are third party characters that I'd want much more than him - if not for this thread, I don't think I would have considered him.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Crypto Vaporizes the Competition!

Chance: 5%

Destroy All Humans is a series with a cult following. The first game was released in 2005 and was met with positive reviews and good sales. It was followed up by three sequels: DAH 2, Big Willy Unleashed, and Path of the Furon in 2008. Destroy All Humans 2 was received even better than the original due to its improvements to the gameplay. Big Willy Unleashed and Path of the Furon, however, were met with mixed to poor reviews and sales. These games were developed at the same time and were rushed. The rushed nature of the games were clear and the games suffered because of it. After the release of these two games, the series took a hiatus for a long time.

That was until last year in 2019 when Publisher THQ Nordic announced that the first game was being remade for modern consoles and that it will come out sometime this year. Right now, Crypto’s greatest boost to his chances come from relevancy thanks to this new remake. The trailer for the remake on THQ Nordic’s YouTube channel currently has 4.6 million views. Additionally, major websites like IGN and Gamespot have been covering news for the game and overall it has been getting quite a bit of good media attention. The games have even been played by some big Youtubers, most notably jacksepticeye who did some videos for the first game.

THQ Nordic themselves has been around for several years now and they have been working with Nintendo to bring some of their games over to the Switch such as De Blob, Darksiders, and a few other games. While they are not even close to being the biggest western company, they do have a fair amount of franchises with dedicated fanbases.

Most of you are probably not that familiar with Crypto and Destroy All Humans in general. You are probably asking: What could this series bring to the table? I’m more than happy to explain. Crypto has obtained over 10 ground weapons throughout the series that could be used for a cool and unique moveset. He has his trusty Zap-O-Matic which shoots electricity. The Disintegrator Ray shoots balls of hot plasma that does heavy damage to even heavy vehicles like Tanks. The Ion Detonator acts as a grenade launcher that shoots ion bombs that detonate and instantly vaporizes humans and destroys vehicles. He also has his iconic Probe, though I can’t imagine a way for Sakurai to implement it into his moveset due to its disgusting nature.

But wait, there’s more! Crypto also has the Disclocator Ray which shoots discs that stick to humans and objects then makes them fly around in random directions. There is also the Superballer which shoots rainbow balls that stick to...you guess it, humans and objects and makes them bounce all over the place, dealing damage with each bounce. Gastro, while a weapon, is actually a summonable Furon that is in a holobob pod and he deals damage with a turret and explosive shots. Crypto also has Burrow Beast, Venus Human Trap, Meteor Strike, etc. As you can tell, Crypto has weapons for any situation and they are all fun to use and have their own great designs. This isn’t even counting Crypto’s psychokinesis (PK) powers. He can lift and throw objects, magnetize objects and people together, and even stop time.

Crypto would be a glass cannon. He has a lot of firepower, but is very vulnerable in close combat and can’t take too much damage. He needs to rely on his guns and PK powers to out-range his enemies to win, just like in his own games. In that regard, he would play kind of like Mega Man where he has little close combat options. His ground speed would be average. But what would make him truly unique is the fact that he has a jetpack and in Path of the Furon and in the remake, the jetpack is fast and really mobile, giving Crypto a lot of air time and potential to do combos. In the aforementioned two games, while flying, Crypto can use PK powers and his weapons, giving him a lot of potential for air combos (he can also fire his weapons while using his jetpack in the previous games, though it was much more restrictive). Overall, he would play unlike any other fighter.

As for the stage, there are a plethora of choices to choose from. There is Turnipseed Farm, the first invasion site of the first game. Rockwell, the atmospheric 1950s looking town with a circus. Area 42, a military base where mutant humans are being tested. Capital City, the last invasion site of the first game, features hostile big robots and the final boss where you fight the president who is in a giant mech. There are other areas like Bay City, Albion, Takoshima, and even a moon base. As you can imagine, there is plenty of potential for a neat stage with various background elements going on, as well as stage hazards like enemies shooting at the Smash characters, mutants attacking, and even a Godzilla-sized monster who can step on the characters. The stages above have 1950s and 1960s feel to them, which would make them stand out from the stage roster.

As for the music, Sari chose some good ones, but here are some other ones that are worth checking out:

These songs (and more) would add a different type of flavor to the music selection. Some of the music in the first game was done with a theremin, an instrument that was used in many 1950s science fiction movies, which gives the music its signature feel.

So here is all the positives in a nutshell: Cult following with a lot of passionate fans, hype has been built around the remake, Crypto having a unique moveset, and great stage and music potential. I also forgot to mention that Destroy All Humans does have Nintendo presence: Big Willy Unleashed being on the Wii.

Now onto the negatives and hurdles that Destroy All Humans faces. And unfortunately, there is a lot. As I explained DAH does have a cult following. However, that is the problem. DAH isn’t exactly an iconic series, even with all of its games covering a range of game consoles and the remake getting decent media attention. It’s a series that many would consider to be niche and leagues below any of the other third party characters. Even comparing him to Joker and Terry is a joke. Persona 5 is one of the most popular RPGs in recent years and Fatal Fury has a long legacy and the series is very popular in certain parts of the world. People expect a certain level of importance to these third party franchises. They don’t want just any typical video game to get a playable rep just cause the game is good and it has a cult following. While the first DAH was a notable game for what it managed to do with its gameplay at the time: Being able to go into a saucer and destroy any buildings in site with some debris and smoke visuals, etc. it didn’t take over the world by storm and the series’ decade+ long hiatus certainly doesn’t help it out in the legacy department either. To add onto this, I barely see anyone request him, let alone talk about him in speculation. That is always not a good sign.

Another hit towards Destroy All Humans is competition. As I’ve said earlier, THQ Nordic brought over some games to the Switch, one of these is a series called Darksiders. The first two games got ported to the Switch. Has Destroy All Humans been ported to the Switch in some way? No. Another big point is that the DAH remake isn’t coming to the Switch. What this tells me is that even if Nintendo approached THQ Nordic for a character, they might choose Darksider’s War over Crypto due to being able to profit off of the games. It’s possible that THQ Nordic could be working on a Switch port, but if not, then it’s a hurdle for the series to get a playable character. This is not even including other series like Red Faction into the mix.

Overall, as much as it pains me to admit, Crypto is not likely at all. Destroy All Humans is too niche and THQ Nordic is a small fish compared to the giants like Activision, Ubisoft and Bethesda. Even a 5% might be a bit much, but you know what, I have hope. If the budget did get smaller then maybe Nintendo did approach some smaller companies. It’s a reach, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Want: 100%

If the essay I wrote didn’t already make it clear enough, I LOVE Destroy All Humans. I started playing the games as a kid and I thoroughly enjoyed them. What they did for the time was great. Letting you walk around as an alien with an entire arsenal of weapons to kill humans and blow stuff up in creative ways was unlike anything else I played. The games had a unique charm to them with the 1950s, 60s, and 70s atmosphere. Crypto is an entertaining character with a snarky, sarcastic and comedic personality that crosses over to the over-the-top nature of the games. This personality can be shown off in the way he moves, attacks, and in his taunts. He is the type of character that you can cheer for despite him being a vicious alien that goes around killing all humans who get in his way.

Most of what I love about Destroy All Humans comes down to what I mentioned above. Specifically the moveset, stage and music. He has more than enough weapons and powers to make an insanely fun moveset. I mean for pete’s sake, he has weapons that can summon ground beasts, meteors from the sky, a shrink ray, a weapon that can shoot balls of lightning, and a gun that shoots rainbow balls that attach to people and objects and takes them for a ride. If that isn’t fun then I don’t know what is. This isn’t even accounting for his flying saucer in which he can use for his final smash: The Quantum Deconstructor which shoots a glob of green thermonuclear energy that destroys everything in its range. The potential is there for a sick moveset.

I also covered the wide range of possible stages. These games are a love letter to the eras they are set in. How cool would a stage be if it had a Godzilla-sized monster destroying a city and battling the military while at the same time occasionally damaging the Smash characters? I know I'm kind of repeating points but right now I’m just fanboying. The music, omg the music. Whenever that theremin plays it just reminds me of all the science fiction and horror movies I love and have watched over the years. The soundtracks aren’t amazing like the ones for the Final Fantasy games or Mario, but they certainly add a lot to the game and can be enjoyed on their own. Destroy All Humans is one of my top favorite series with the second game being my 7th favorite game (For the record, I have beaten and 100% the game at least 7 times. I have not done that for any other game). It would be a dream come true if Crypto could join Smash and be with all these gaming legends and characters that would be cool to see interact with him.

For all of those who managed to read all of this, thank you. I hope I informed some people on why Crypto would be such a cool character for Smash. He may not be a gaming legend, but he still has a lot to offer for Smash. Maybe I convinced some people to give the series a try. That would be nice. For those of you who are interested in learning more about Destroy All Humans and what Crypto’s moveset could look like, check out his support thread, which I have a link to in my signature (I apologize if I’m not supposed to put in a plug/advertise a support thread).

Prediction: Concept: Octopath Traveler rep - 7%

Noms: Concept: Contra rep x5

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Crypto

Chance: 0%
His series has been dormant for a long time with the most recent entry being released in 2008. The original game is getting a remake this year but I doubt that alone would be enough to get him into Smash. Only the first game ever got released in Japan so it's safe to say that he's a literal who there, which I view as a death sentence for a character's chances.

Want: Abstain
Only thing I remember of this game was seeing a demo of it in some store. I don't know much about the series so I won't comment.

Octopath chance prediction: 4.53%

Nominations:
Mii Costume: Quote x5

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Crypto - abstain

I didn't even know about the existence of those games until like a week ago, and only because of this thread.

Prediction: Octopath rep - 4.5%

Nominations: Segata Sanshiro x5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Crypto

Chance 0 - Dead series with only one game being released in Japan. Oof. That's all I feel like I really need to know and that's really god damn brutal. I'd assume this is a western character as well, which doesnt help anything at all. Basically no shot here

Want 0 - Never heard of Crypto or DAH until basically now. Cant say I want this character in Smash

Predictions
Octopath rep - 2.58%

Noms
Big Daddy x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Crypto

Chance 0 - Dead series
I wouldn't call the series dead, considering that there is a remake of the first game coming out sometime this year. Not saying that helps out the series a lot, but it's another game after a decade+ hiatus.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
POTUS

Chance: 5%
Destroy All Humans is getting a remake this year, and it did have Nintendo presence back in the day, but that's it for the positives. It's not a famous series, it has its fans, but not much impact overall. From what I'm getting most games didn't release in Japan (I'd appreciate it if someone told me whether the upcoming remake will be released there). And of course, it's a Western series from a very small Western dev that probably has other priorities. Plus Crypto's crass and vulgar personality, I'm not sure how much that fits in Smash, and how much it could be sanded down.

Want: abstain
But man do I love Destroy All Humans. I have lots of fond memories from it, like switching between human bodies to pass undetected, and flying my giant flying saucer for the first time. It took the open world formula and imbued it with 50's Americana aesthetic (it helps that my PS2 could only display graphics in black and white), Hitman-like social stealth, and physics-based psychic powers to make you feel really powerful when you wanted to be. Crypto is a character I have a fondness for, so that's why I'm abstaining - instead of giving him the low score that I usually give to lower-echelon third party characters.

Noms: Ryo Hazuki x5
Octopath prediction: Honestly I don't know how people will rate post-ARMS, and Octopath is a very complex thing. Since I have no clue, I'll just do a joke number: 8%

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Crypto
Chance: 1%
So there's nothing really deconfirming him. There is also nothing helping him get in, which is more damming imo. Crypto has appeaeance on the Wii and thats about it for his relationship with Nintendo. His newest game isn't coming to switch. Destroy All Humans is a pretty unknown franchise. This probably isn't happening.

Want: 0%
I don't think I've heard of Crypto or Destroy All Humans before RTC. Gonna give him a hard pass and move on to the next day

Predict: Octopath: 8%( GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 stole my meme)

Noms: Gnar x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
crypto 100% real no fake
Chance: 0%
I know very little about this series but it apparently this will be the first time in twelve years it will receive another game. (a remaster not coming to Switch) Doubt it was ever that mainstream, and it definitely has little Japanese precence. Not much demand either. Can't imagine Nintendo going for this one.

Want: 0%
I know absolutely nothing about this franchise other that it was one of THQ's IPs, there's only one THQ series I'd like to see represented, we just rated it. I don't want many third-parties and I don't think Destroy All Humans is in a potition to deserve a fighter.

Octopath: 8.32%
Alucard x5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Tales from the Crypto

Chance: I'm not seeing it, 1%. As others have said, he has minimal Japanese presence and fizzled away a long time ago. Unless the franchise gets back up after the remake, he's the textbook definition of an eternal no hoper.

Want: 10%. I'll take him, but he's not exactly a character I'm gunning for. But hey, if the moveset would be interesting, he can probably pull through.

Paper Mario x 5. Octopath rep is stacked with candidates, so 13.39%.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Crypto

Chance: 10%. While Crypto is quite obscure, he may have a chance to appear. His franchise getting a reboot would help give him a chance. Of course there is competition between other fighters that will most likely defeat him, but then again who knows what will happen in the future, near or otherwise.

Want: 55%. Having an alien as a playable character would be a surprising yet fitting choice. Crypto would totally be fun to play as, and I can see him face off against Ridley, Dark Samus, Fox and Samus in a free for all type battle. I think Crypto has lots of potential in this game, and overall, he would be a fun addition to the roaster.

Prediction: Octopath Rep (10%)

Noms: 2 for New Zelda Rep and 3 for Concept: Returning Stages

Top Bottom