• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
    • Chance: 75% - If Kirby were to get a new playable character (something it hasn't gotten since Brawl), Bandana Waddle Dee seems like the obvious "next" choice. The character has made multiple appearances in the series since his expanded role in Super Star Ultra (a few of which he was also playable), he represents a very prominent species in the Kirby series, and he's managed to attain a pretty sizable fandom. There's also another advantage the Dee has: asset recycling. King Dedede's victory animation in Ultimate has a Waddle Dee appear beside him, something that could make development on Bandana Waddle Dee easier if they're willing to reuse in-game assets. Not to mention, while the character already exists in Ultimate as a Spirit, the inclusion of Min Min renders that disadvantage completely moot. Instead, the two real disadvantages working against Dee right now are A] the competition of other first party characters, and B] Sakurai's supposed bias against the modern Kirby games. The latter in particular, I don't even know if it's true or not, but regardless, Sakurai has stated that Nintendo is picking the DLC characters for Ultimate, which implies that Bandana Waddle could get regardless of Sakurai's opinions on modern Kirby.
    • Want: 50% - While I would like to see Kirby get a fourth playable character, I don't have any especially strong opinions on who it should be. I certainly think Bandana Waddle Dee would be a decent choice, considering he's a fan favorite, and also fights mainly using a spear and a parasol, the former being a weapon that currently no one on the roster fights exclusively with (Byleth only uses a spear for certain attacks), the latter being an item in Melee and it would be nice to see it come back in some form.
  • Dixie Kong
    • Chance: 70% - Like Bandana Waddle Dee for the Kirby series, and now that King K. Rool is finally in, Dixie Kong feels like the next step for playable Donkey Kong characters. Even if you can technically debate Dee's status as Kirby's Player 4, Dixie Kong's role as one of Donkey Kong's major characters is not debatable. From being Diddy's Player 2 in the second DKC game, then taking center stage in the third game, with a triumphant return in Tropical Freeze, and multiple appearances in spin-off games like Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast, the Mario Baseball games, and Mario Kart Tour, she really is one of Nintendo's all-stars and I'm surprised she wasn't added in sooner. Also similar to Bandana Waddle Dee having an in-game model to recycle, Dixie Kong's appearance and proportions are similar enough that she could potentially have Diddy Kong as a base to start her development. Of course, there's also the big disadvantage of competition from other first-parties, as well as the possibility that the developers think King K. Rool is satisfactory enough for DKC fans, though considering Fire Emblem managed to get newcomers in Smash 4's base game and DLC, Donkey Kong getting the same treatment isn't out of the question.
    • Want: 75% - It was great seeing King K. Rool making his triumphant return in Smash Ultimate's base game, and while Dixie hasn't been neglected nearly as much (considering her return in Tropical Freeze and recent appearance in Mario Kart Tour), it would still be great to see her make it into Smash just to have the whole Kong gang together, even if it's just as an Echo Fighter for Diddy Kong (which I know is not the most desirable outcome for Dixie, but I'd be fine either way). Here's hoping that if she makes it in, she can also bring Funky Kong (as a Donkey Kong Echo Fighter) with her.
  • Nominate: Content from a currently unreleased game x 5

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Fedora Slime

Chance - 5%. Sorry, but I don't really have hope. The DLC characters tend to be main characters, not sidekicks, and there's a heavy lean towards third parties. That... doesn't really suit BDee. His best chance is next game, assuming it's not a reboot.

Want - 99%. It's a shame, because he's my third most wanted, and the gap is slim between him and the top two is slim. He'd bring some much needed modern Kirby representation, and he could be given an element gimmick to make him more unique.

Double abstain on Dixie - I'm to tired to care about her.

Noms: Maxwell x5

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
Dixie Kong: 0%

I think Donkey Kong has been given enough love this time around. These challenger packs have been mini celebrations of the games the character comes from. I don't feel like there'd be enough content for Dixie to hold her own. There are already three characters in the game, including newcomer King K Rool. There are already plenty of stickers and an assist trophy. I just don't see this.

Want: 0%

I think there are too many other franchises that deserve representation.

Bandanna Waddle Dee: 0%

Similar to the argument above. I don't think there would be enough to justify a whole pack surrounding the character.

Want: 0% Same as above.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't feel like there'd be enough content for Dixie to hold her own.
There's barely any DKC content from DKC2 onwards, especially music which is one of the series' big claims to fame. As for Kirby, it's infamous for how the grand majority of its history lacks representation in music, stages, or ATs, and there's even glaringly missing Spirits like Adeleine.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Bandana Waddle Dee:

+ Extremely popular request in Smash circles, usually dominating polls
+ Popularity seems to be worldwide
+ Popular in Kirby communities
+ Was very popular around the time of the ballot <------ Real important
+ Moveset writes itself
+ Most important Kirby character not yet playable
+ Kirby developers seem to love the little guy
+ Since his debut? in Return to Dream Land, he's made an appearance in almost every game since, including main titles

+/- Base game spirit
+/- For some reason, missed out on Smash Wii U, not even getting a trophy

- Sakurai may or may not have a bias towards Kirby content he didn't create (even then I don't think its as bad as most say)
- Nintendo may not want to promote a supporting character in a franchise that already has characters <----- Real important
- Slightly contentious but not majorly so

Chance: 50%

Bandana Waddle Dee is very popular. He's been vital to the Kirby franchise for almost a decade and is beloved by the developers. I think Dee has the makings of a Smash character. The main issue stems from priority. Unless Nintendo is looking for popular picks from the ballot, why pick another Kirby character? He's the next character in line for the franchise, but no Kirby character seems like a fairly likely scenario as well.

Want: 90%

He's my favorite Kirby character and he fits Smash like a glove. Put him in, I say!
Dixie Kong

+ Popular request in Smash circles, usually being high in the polls
+ Popular in Donkey Kong (and Mario) communities
+ Moveset is easy to make
+ Can work as a semi-clone, cutting down development time (she can easily be unique too, but potentially being a budget option is good)
+ Most important Donkey Kong character not yet playable
+ Retro seems to love her, loved by Rare too
+ Recent resurgence in the two versions of Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart Tour

+/- Base Game Spirit
+/- Popularity seems primarily western
+/- Major Nintendo Heroine

- Can seem too similar to Diddy at a first glance
- Nintendo may not want to promote a supporting character in a franchise that already has characters <----- Real important
- Didn't top polls during the ballot era, K. Rool took the DK fans votes, even if those same fans still wanted her too
- Has lulls in visible support, meaning that while its there, its quiet

Chance: 35%

I don't feel confident in Dixie. Dixie should be in Smash and if the Rare buyout didn't happen, she would be by now. But, at this point in time, she feels like a character who needs fan support to get in and I'm not sure if she has enough loud supporters to make it happen.

Want: 80%

Dixie's really cool. I've beaten all the Donkey Kong Country games and she was a blast to use in every game she was in. I'd be happy if she were put in.

If you have counterpoints, be free to change my mind. I probably won't agree if you say Dee or Dixie aren't super important to their franchise though.

Nominations: Fighter Pass 2 being half first party and half third party. x 5

Predictions:
Nightmare - 15%
Sol Badguy - 11%

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
This makes me sad, because for every inch of me that would love to see either of these characters get in, there's a mile of reasons why I find it rather unlikely.

Bandanna Waddle Dee
Chance - 15%
There are indeed a lot of positives on this one, and to me it's nearly 100% certain with no room for doubt that if we get another Kirby character it should be this boy.
Not only that, but I'm definitely expecting a new Kirby game coming soon, just probably delayed in announcement and maybe work by the whole current events.

BUT, I'm more pessimistic because of a couple of factors. The first is that I wonder how making this DLC character as unique as possible would go, since, all things considered, Dee's moveset is essentially done already. And while different it still doesn't open up to a lot of super diverse crazy movesets like most DLC we've gotten. That said, I'm not super familiar with star allies so I don't know if there's something they could pull from there to make it a more interesting character... perhaps having allies from common kirby enemies than you can toggle like Min Min's arms? Or change from being made or clay or yarn to reference kirby side games?

The other thing I put against him, and will against Dixie too, is that their series are decently represented AND unlike every other DLC character so far outside of plant, they don't really introduce new worlds to Smash. And while to most of us here it's not a drawback whatsoever, from a DLC sales perspective it's a slight drawback, as well as from the perspective of a Sakurai who seems hungry to add really out there stuff to Smash as a last hurrah.

One thing I will say though, is that the fanbase for Dee is very out there, visible, and obvious and should be known to Nintendo, and in that sense I see him around the level of Geno or Waluigi as a character they could add in strictly to please a known fanbase.

Want - 50%
I don't particularly feel super invested in Dee, and like others I think other characters from Kirby would be much more interesting. Adeline in particular would be such a hype moveset to me. Within Kirby games though he probably is my favorite to use and the character itself is super appealing.
I also had my moments of disliking the comparison between Dee and Dixie, mostly because it really takes away from Dixie having actually been the main protagonist of her game with her name on the box and everything. I'll adamantly stick to my opinion that Dee is in a similar boat as Toad as a deserving rep of its property due to such consistent and evident showing, but where you can somehow rationalize why it hasn't happened. Dixie I would put into the level of Tails of how is this character still not in this game?
All that aside though, I do respect the Dee fanbase for keeping things going and also respect the fact the character has actually grown more visible and significant since the days you first heard the desire for him. If he gets in it will definitely be an earned victory and he will fit perfectly in this cast.

Dixie
Chance - 5%
I have sunk to extreme pessimism with this character. For one, like with Dee, the focus on new "worlds" and crazy movesets hurts her to a degree since, like Dee, she's a more honest character that doesn't add worlds as much as she just expands the DK core.
Not only that, but the other problem for Dixie is that while her significance in her series went down after Rare and then plateau'd after Tropical Freeze, the significance of other DK characters shot up. Cranky being playable was a huge deal, then Funky Kong being OP in Mario Kart AND then being the selling point for switch Tropical Freeze AND appearing along with Dixie in Mario Kart Tour... you can tell that there is a strong investment in Funky Kong as a character and my heart fears that it is at the expense of Dixie. So, even if we DO get more DK representation, I am not even sure it would be Dixie Kong.
Lastly, while I love the community still fighting for Dixie, it just failed to reach the heights of K. Rool, and in general it feels like after K. Rool got in most people just fell into contentment with that. It also lacks the visibility of interest in Dee, Waluigi, Geno, Isaac and several others that are clawing for a chance at a spot, and when you're talking about DLC needing to sell, this puts Dixie in a rough spot. I don't doubt people would love her inclusion in general, but the hype level just doesn't seem as intense. The most alive it felt was when she got added to Mario Kart Tour, but unfortunately by that point DLC was already decided on, so I don't expect much.

Want - 100%
After Ridley got sorted, Dixie was the main big character that I wanted in Ultimate. There was zero chance for Min Min to get in at the time, borderline disconfirmation for my other beloved Nintendo characters (Lyn, Kumatora), so for me it was all in on Dixie.
K. Rool happening was an extremely hype moment for an extremely hype character, and instead of seeing instant drop in chances I seriously, seriously hoped it meant Dixie could also get her shot. To me she's still an all-star character from one of my favorite platformers of all time and like others say, her not being in this roster is a really, really weird gap. Particularly since Nintendo clearly struggles to add cool female protagonists and here is one who is a fantastic example of one. And yet... why does it feel more likely we'll get a third zelda? It's so bizarre to me. This character should have already been in this game. That she didn't get into Smash 4 was shocking. That she hasn't gotten into Ultimate and may never do so is just disappointing.
I am currently still floored about Min Min being in and it makes me insanely happy... and at the same time I cannot believe we exist in a timeline where she got into Smash before Dixie Kong. Not because she's not deserving, but because the path here looked so different. I would not have believed in 2018 that Dixie Kong would feel so unlikely to ever get into Smash, while a character I loved who had ZERO CHANCE somehow got there.
Lol but then again, back then I would also never have believed we'd get a piranha plant before her, or waluigi or... lmao, anybody. It's been nuts. What a crazy roster.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That said, I'm not super familiar with star allies so I don't know if there's something they could pull from there to make it a more interesting character...
For the sake of education.

Bandana Waddle Dee is affected by elements, so he can add the elements of fire, water, ice, electricity and wind. These elements change the properties of his attacks. For example, his famous spear copter starts lobbing fireballs if he has the fire element.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU

Bandana Waddle Dee is affected by elements, so he can add the elements of fire, water, ice, electricity and wind. These elements change the properties of his attacks. For example, his famous spear copter starts lobbing fireballs if he has the fire element.
Yeah, essentially Bandana Dee’s moveset could be crafted from the following abilities (all of which he has actually used from his time with the franchise):

- General Spear-Based Attacks (Spear Thrust, Spear Throw, Waddle Copter, etc.)
- Parasol-Based Attacks (Aqua Shot, Parasol Drill, Circus Throw, etc.)
- Megaton Punch (Striking the ground with incredible force.)
- Elemental Abilities (as explained)
- Exclusive “Ground Thrust” spear-based move introduced in Star Allies. (Which can double as a “Spear Vault” with the right button input).

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Yeah, essentially Bandana Dee’s moveset could be crafted from the following abilities (all of which he has actually used from his time with the franchise):

- Exclusive “Ground Thrust” spear-based move introduced in Star Allies. (Which can double as a “Spear Vault” with the right button input).
What is this Ground Thrust? Is it like Mii Swordfighter’s Falcon Kick-like Down B or something else?

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
What is this Ground Thrust? Is it like Mii Swordfighter’s Falcon Kick-like Down B or something else?
Yeah, you’re on the right track.

He basically drags his spear against the ground for a fairly long distance before flicking it upwards to finish. Pressing “A” while the move is in motion will cause Bandana Dee to leap into the air and drop his spear, like a Pole Vault.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

Holy wow I didn't know about these. Can we have these pinned everytime we talk about Bandana Dee because this alone kills the "too little moveset" and "Not unique enough" arguments. The elemental abilities alone sound so cool and very unique.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Holy wow I didn't know about these. Can we have these pinned everytime we talk about Bandana Dee because this alone kills the "too little moveset" and "Not unique enough" arguments. The elemental abilities alone sound so cool and very unique.
Right, though I think it’s worth noticing that, iirc, these are not exclusive to Bandana Dee and instead an overall mechanic of Star Allies.

My personal favorite mechanic for him is a Jet Hammer-esque upgrade of his speae, that turns it into a semi-mechanical Beam Scepter or Parasol.

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman

That's news to me. In my post I was talking about cool gameplay gimmicks being a reason I might play a character, and this is one isn't bad. Does he have to get hit with the attack of just be near the element to use it? Can he do this in every game?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Only gonna do a Want score for Dee and abstain from a chance because he's really an enigma.

Want: 1%
The one percent is because my brother wants him lol. But like...I just can't get excited for him. He's just really boring. I'd prefer Magolor for a Kirby character and there are numerous Lance or Spear users I'd prefer. Dee's stubby limbs and twig spear don't allow for what I'd want in a spear user...I'm not even sure if it could pull off things Areadbhar could.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Bandana Waddle Dee:

+ Extremely popular request in Smash circles, usually dominating polls
+ Popularity seems to be worldwide
+ Popular in Kirby communities
+ Was very popular around the time of the ballot <------ Real important
+ Moveset writes itself
+ Most important Kirby character not yet playable
+ Kirby developers seem to love the little guy
+ Since his debut? in Return to Dream Land, he's made an appearance in almost every game since, including main titles

+/- Base game spirit
+/- For some reason, missed out on Smash Wii U, not even getting a trophy

- Sakurai may or may not have a bias towards Kirby content he didn't create (even then I don't think its as bad as most say)
- Slightly contentious but not majorly so

Chance: 50%

Bandana Waddle Dee is very popular. He's been vital to the Kirby franchise for almost a decade and is beloved by the developers. I think Dee has the makings of a Smash character. The main issue stems from priority. Unless Nintendo is looking for popular picks from the ballot, why pick another Kirby character? He's the next character in line for the franchise, but no Kirby character seems like a fairly likely scenario as well.

Want: 90%

He's my favorite Kirby character and he fits Smash like a glove. Put him in, I say!
Dixie Kong

+ Popular request in Smash circles, usually being high in the polls
+ Popular in Donkey Kong (and Mario) communities
+ Moveset is easy to make
+ Can work as a semi-clone, cutting down development time (she can easily be unique too, but potentially being a budget option is good)
+ Most important Donkey Kong character not yet playable
+ Retro seems to love her, loved by Rare too
+ Recent resurgence in the two versions of Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart Tour

+/- Base Game Spirit
+/- Popularity seems primarily western
+/- Major Nintendo Heroine

- Can seem too similar to Diddy at a first glance
- Didn't top polls during the ballot era, K. Rool took the DK fans votes, even if those same fans still wanted her too
- Has lulls in visible support, meaning that while its there, its quiet

Chance: 35%

I don't feel confident in Dixie. Dixie should be in Smash and if the Rare buyout didn't happen, she would be by now. But, at this point in time, she feels like a character who needs fan support to get in and I'm not sure if she has enough loud supporters to make it happen.

Want: 80%

Dixie's really cool. I've beaten all the Donkey Kong Country games and she was a blast to use in every game she was in. I'd be happy if she were put in.

If you have counterpoints, be free to change my mind. I probably won't agree if you say Dee or Dixie aren't super important to their franchise though.

Nominations: Fighter Pass 2 being half first party and half third party. x 5

Predictions:
Nightmare - 15%
Sol Badguy - 11%
I'd like to point out that the existence of Byleth shows that contentiousness isn't an issue in the choosing process-You don't need the Monado to realize that another Fire Emblem character would cause the fanbase to burst into flames. Beyond that, I think all the pros and cons have been covered here.
I'd also like to note that he was just getting started around the development of Smash 4, only really appearing in RtDL. He didn't have much going for him that didn't apply to other characters at that time.

What I've curious about is how the elemental attacks might work with the parasol, assuming he has that as part of his moveset. It already has the water element, so would that make them mutually exclusive, would the parasol just go untouched, or would the parasol's element change with the spear?

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
That's news to me. In my post I was talking about cool gameplay gimmicks being a reason I might play a character, and this is one isn't bad. Does he have to get hit with the attack of just be near the element to use it? Can he do this in every game?
In Star Allies, after you befriend an Elemental enemy (by throwing a heart at them) you just need to stand near them in order to fuse the weapon and element of choice together.

He can’t do this in any other Kirby game (for now?) however, in fact Star Allies is the first time combined abilities are used by someone else other than Kirby.

I'd like to point out that the existence of Byleth shows that contentiousness isn't an issue in the choosing process-You don't need the Monado to realize that another Fire Emblem character would cause the fanbase to burst into flames. Beyond that, I think all the pros and cons have been covered here.
I'd also like to note that he was just getting started around the development of Smash 4, only really appearing in RtDL. He didn't have much going for him that didn't apply to other characters at that time.

What I've curious about is how the elemental attacks might work with the parasol, assuming he has that as part of his moveset. It already has the water element, so would that make them mutually exclusive, would the parasol just go untouched, or would the parasol's element change with the spear?
I could see them bending the “rules” a little bit by allowing the Parasol to switch between each of the elements, or they could just subtly bring the elements into B. Dee’s moveset by allowing the elements to be activated when a stronger attack is landed. (Ex: Tipper/Stronger Hit on Spear Thrust applies a burning Sizzle effect which applies additional damage to an opponent for a short period of time).
(Ex: Tipper/Stronger Hit on Parasol applies a Splash effect which launches balls of water from the Parasol).

Granted, it depends on what his moveset would actually be.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Do you think the elemental effects would be a mostly aesthetic thing, or do you think it would change the properties of the attacks? For example, fire would give a multi-hit effect, spark would increase attack speed, and ice would increase single-hit damage at the cost of worse frame data. Elementless would be the jack-of-all-stats, of course.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Do you think the elemental effects would be a mostly aesthetic thing, or do you think it would change the properties of the attacks? For example, fire would give a multi-hit effect, spark would increase attack speed, and ice would increase single-hit damage at the cost of worse frame data. Elementless would be the jack-of-all-stats, of course.
I honestly don’t think it would be a central gimmick, since it‘s not exclusive to Bandana Dee and only appears in one game. A more likely, and imo funner scenario, is picking one or two of those elements and make them an upgrade of the Spear. Like a special move like Jet Hammer that gives the spear the zap or splash ability (since those are the elements associated with the Waddle Dee-adjacent Beam and Parasol respectively) that extends hitboxes with thunderstrikes and Aqua Ball-like water splashes.

Then, this zap element can interact with the Aqua Ball by zapping the water, causing a Friend Combo-like chain reaction.

I’m not exactly sure how to combine the Spear, Beam Scepter and Parasol yet but if you can, the elements can play a supplementary role in that.

EDIT: Here’s a Youtube vid that shows off the mechanic. Timestamps in description

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I honestly don’t think it would be a central gimmick, since it‘s not exclusive to Bandana Dee and only appears in one game. A more likely, and imo funner scenario, is picking one or two of those elements and make them an upgrade of the Spear. Like a special move like Jet Hammer that gives the spear the zap or splash ability (since those are the elements associated with the Waddle Dee-adjacent Beam and Parasol respectively) that extends hitboxes with thunderstrikes and Aqua Ball-like water splashes.

Then, this zap element can interact with the Aqua Ball by zapping the water, causing a Friend Combo-like chain reaction.

I’m not exactly sure how to combine the Spear, Beam Scepter and Parasol yet but if you can, the elements can play a supplementary role in that.

EDIT: Here’s a Youtube vid that shows off the mechanic. Timestamps in description

Yeah, I'm not really expecting the friend combos too much either. My movesets were mostly based on the Spear and Parasol abilities, and I wasn't sure how to integrate the elements into that, so I tend to leave them out.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
If elemental attributes were noticeable within Bandana Dee's moveset, I would definitely want them to be more than just for show.

It doesn't have to function like how Arsene powers up Joker, though.

Like I mentioned earlier, they could be subtly activated under certain conditions (perhaps by a combination of landing a stronger attack and chance, like Hero's critical hits) as a little nod to the feature.

I think it would be pretty fun if the elemental effects were randomized as well (Ex: A strong attack suddenly activates the Blizzard effect, freezing your opponent for a short period of time; in another instance, Ground Thrust activates the Sizzle effect, shooting out blazing balls of fire once the move finishes (akin to how it functions in Star Allies).

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I see the RTC thread is the new BWD thread.
Any thread can be a BWD thread if we post hard enough.

(Also, it's pretty nice to be talking about B. Dee with even more than just the people who normally chat in the dedicated B. Dee support thread, myself included).

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I could state with confidence that Dixie’s moveset potential is overrated if you want discussion on her
Well. Overrated in which sense? It would not feel new or flashy compared to the newest newcomers?

Because if I put together Dixie from all her appearances you can have a pretty original moveset. And even more if you bring up Tiny's moves or Kiddy Kong if Bandana Dee can pull off the elementals other characters give him.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Well. Overrated in which sense? It would not feel new or flashy compared to the newest newcomers?

Because if I put together Dixie from all her appearances you can have a pretty original moveset. And even more if you bring up Tiny's moves or Kiddy Kong if Bandana Dee can pull off the elementals other characters give him.
I don't really care about how much moveset potential a character like Dixie has, cause she just needs to be in the game already.

Bandana Dee on the other hand?
You literally have to go out of your way in order to prove to some people that he would be a fine choice for Smash.

Like man, Dixie supporters are basically off the hook for serious discussions because it's clear that she's next in line regardless.

On the other side of the spectrum, it's Bandana Dee Vs. The World.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I don't really care about how much moveset potential a character like Dixie has, cause she just needs to be in the game already.
Yep, that seems to be the sum of Dixie discussion and why it dies so quickly.
It's just strange because I feel pretty much the same thing with Bandana Dee yet he's regarded with a different standard.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
It's just strange because I feel pretty much the same thing with Bandana Dee yet he's regarded with a different standard.
I think it's just a matter of growth at this point, I mean, Dixie literally has her own game.

Bandana Dee just needs more time to be generally accepted in the same way as someone like her.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

First of all, I’m purely arguing to drum up discussion, since as said above, moveset potential is secondary to her other merits.

But, I don’t think Dixie has no moveset potential (we’ve all seen BirthNote’s doodles) and she doesn’t need like a meter or something, but like I have a hard time filling in the specials beyond Bubblegum Neutral B and Helicopter Hair Up B. What are some options for her side and down special? Again, I’m not looking for meters, just a little glue to tie her acrobatics together.

Difference with Bandana Dee is that I imagine Dixie’s basic moves to be her uniqueness and the specials would be cherries on top, whereas I’m still looking for such a hook for Bandana Dee. Purely personal.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think it's because we hear more about Bandana Dee and there's more Kirby characters as well, so more people are going to see the requests, not have it click with them, and try their best to find an alternative. From what I hear, most of the DK requests were devoured by K. Rool, and once he was revealed for Smash, most people probably decided he was all we were getting for DK reps. This was especially true when A: Spirits deconfirmed pretty much every major first-party request, and B: The first pass shifted speculation towards third-party characters.
Unlike K. Rool, Bandana Dee hasn't joined yet, and unlike Dixie, there hasn't been another Kirby rep to put a damper his support. As a result, he's requested more often, and so he runs a greater risk of being deemed "overrated."

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Bandana Dee

Chance - 58%
- Bandana Dee is seen as the most notable Kirby request in the Smash speculation scene for quite sometime. He has a decent shot since the rule was dismantled.

Want - 75%
- I personally prefer Marx, but I am on the Bandana Dee bandwagon. He is one of the popular first party characters alongside Waluigi, Dixie, Toad, etc. Kirby hasn't had any newcomers since Brawl and I believe Kirby is due for another character.

Dixie Kong

Chance - 75%
- Dixie's chances have improved greatly since Min Min got the nod and the spirit fan rule was dismantled. With her getting into Mario Kart Tour, it gives Dixie more recognition to those aren't DKC fans. She is rising in the ranks of the top characters not in Smash Bros. Dixie placed 4th in GameXplain's top 100 gaming females for Smash and placed 16th in Source Gaming's latest top 50 poll. There has been talks of something big happening for Donkey Kong in the near future and the series is overdue for a new entry anyway.

Want - 100%
- I've stated this before and will continue to do so. Dixie and Waluigi are at the top of my newcomer wishlist. She is among the very few Nintendo All-Stars that hasn't got in yet. She was playable in more games in the original DKC that DK himself and has appeared in three out of five DKC games. Dixie's inclusion would complete the core DKC cast alongside DK, Diddy, and K. Rool. Her debut game DKC 2 is considered to be the magnum opus for the series plus among the best games of the SNES or even all-time. Beside Samus, Dixie is one of the few female protagonists in that appeared in the 1990's. Like Kirby, DK is deserving of a fourth playable character. There was also the time in which she was actually planned for Brawl. My question is simple, how has she not gotten to be a playable in Smash Bros. for all these years?

Top Bottom