• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
One hand, he hasn't been mentioned as not in Smash, but I feel like if DOOM didn't happen it's not that much of a benefit for Dovahkiin considering how much less requested and relevant they are from Doom Slayer Guy.
I'm not seeing how that matters. Doomguy wasn't requested until last year because of the leaks, so I doubt Nintendo's aware of the demand. As for relevance? This is Skyrim, you just wait for the PS5/XSX port any day now.
Y&T has a point, if getting rights to western characters is as cumbersome as you suggest why bother going to the trouble of getting them for mii costumes, surely that would be the same amount of communications and secrecy
No, there's a big difference. With a Mii Costume you just need to get the design right, they send Sakurai a design reference for the character, Sakurai sends a mock-up of the Mii, necessary adjustments are made, and that's it.

With a playable character, there's a lot more that goes into it. Not just how they look, but how they move, how they talk, what they say, their moves, alts, the stage, music, how the spirited characters are represented. There's a lot of factors that the owner of the IP could take objection to, and they have to be discussed thoroughly because you can't spend tons of money developing something only for the IP holder to disagree. The language barrier is much more important here, because everyone needs to be on the same page.
Wait, I'm pretty sure I've nominated Klonoa more than once. D'you think you might've missed my posts? Or is this just before I voted for him?
The second time you nominated Klonoa was on the Doomguy/Dragonborn day, those nominations will be counted when the day is over.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
With a playable character, there's a lot more that goes into it. Not just how they look, but how they move, how they talk, what they say, their moves, alts, the stage, music, how the spirited characters are represented. There's a lot of factors that the owner of the IP could take objection to, and they have to be discussed thoroughly because you can't spend tons of money developing something only for the IP holder to disagree. The language barrier is much more important here, because everyone needs to be on the same page.
i suppose you have a point but i still say that as part of an industry that has to deal with langue barriers on a very regular basis it just doesnt make sense that it would prove to much of a problem here.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
i suppose you have a point but i still say that as part of an industry that has to deal with langue barriers on a very regular basis it just doesnt make sense that it would prove to much of a problem here.
Well, I dunno what you do for a living, but videogames, like all entertainment, have to walk that tightrope between art and product. Sakurai has a vision for how a character might work that could clash with the owner's artistic or commercial interests regarding them. So it's of the utmost importance that those differing visions are conveyed with as much fidelity as possible, and that's naturally going to be harder than when dealing without translators, by default. The culture shock can't help, either.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Day over

Today we got some Capcom Characters. Both Dante and Phoenix Wright are fan favorites of sorts for speculation. Also Ryu Hayabusa, another favorite but not from Capcom. Rate them in chance and want.

Tomorrow is an indie day. In one corner we got Shantae, the spirited indie. In the other the grandaddy of indies, Quote. Predict them.

Here is the fixed schedule. I shifted it around a bit so that we would have less characters rated recently early on.

Day 469: Dante, Ryu Hayabusa, and Phoenix Wright
Day 470: Shantae and Quote
Day 471: Saki and RAY
Day 472: Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee
Day 473: Nightmare and Sol Badguy
Day 474: Sylux and Porky
Day 475: Captain Toad and Paper Mario
Day 476: Crash and Spyro
Day 477: Master Chief and Kratos
Day 478: Isaac and Ashley
Day 479: Gordon Freeman and Heavy Weapons Guy
Day 480: Reimu and Arle Nadja
Day 481: Skull Kid, Midna, and Lyn
Day 482: Krystal, Shadow, and Bomberman
Day 483: Takamaru, Lip, and Mach Rider
Day 484: Chorus Men, Karate Joe, and Rhythm Girl
Day 485: Geno and Sora
Day 486: Rayman and Travis Touchdown
Day 487: Neku and Agnes (Bravely Default)
Day 488: Tracer and Diablo
Day 489: Sephiroth and 2B
Day 490: Meowth, Mimikyu and Lycanroc (I CAN DREAM HAROLD)
Day 491:Lloyd Irving, Chosen Undead, and KOS MOS
Day 492: Rillaboom and Cinderace
Day 493: Toxtricity and Urshifu
Day 494: Elma and Lara Croft
Day 495: Jibanyan and Agumon
Day 496: Tails and Eggman
Day 497: Andy and Ayumi Tachibana
Day 498: Professor Layton and Steve
Day 499: Rex and Waluigi
Day 500: We do something special.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Okay so this is a triple day were having not long after rating single characters/concepts per day and my opinion on these characters hasn't really changed much since Min Min really didn't shake many things up for these guys. Again, this is the reason why I'm so against this fixed schedule.

Would my scores/noms at the very least be counted if I just reposted my last ratings for these characters? I'll just abstain otherwise cause I don't have the patience for this.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Wacky Woohoo pizza man.
Chance: 45%
One of the character I'm the most sure on (if you wonder why "only 45%", it's because I do not rate them high, as I don't think that we're really able to predict Nintendo easily, outside of choices like Inkling). He's one of Capcom's biggest character that has nothing in Smash, he has his original trilogy on the Switch, and of course the famous "if you want Dante in Smash ask DMC for Switch" to DMC1 being ported on Switch one month later. Dante's chance are pretty good, if I say so.
Want: 95%
Oh hell yeah, Dante is an amazing character, and DMC is just such a great series, especialy 3 and 5, both being some of the best character action games there is, with 5 being the best there is curently in my opinion. And Dante would be so fun to play as. One of my most wanted, even if he's not top 5 (still top 10 tho). Also the music would be amazing.

The Ace Attorney
Chance: 15%
I think that a Capcom character will most likely happen in the pass, the order of likeliness being Dante > Phoenix Wright > Amateratsu in my opinion. But yeah, I feel that Dante is far more likely than Nick, who's main advantage is that his Nintendo presence and fan request exist since far longer than Dante. He still has pretty good chances, but not as much as the Wacky Woohoo pizza man. And the moveset should not be too hard to create, since MvC3U, a fighting game where Phoenix Wright is a playable character, exist.
Want: 100%
Dante is not in my top 5, but Nick sure is. He's one of my favorite protagonist, like Dante, and I like the Ace Attorney series so much. And just like Dante, the music would be amazing. Also, if he joins, there may be a chance that he could get Edgeworth as an echo in a following Smash, which would be so great.

The one who's not from Capcom
Chance: 35%
All things considered, Hayabusa has pretty good chances. Koei Tecmo has a good relationship with Nintendo since like forever, and they even helped for 3 Houses. And out of every KT characters, his chances are just so much greater than Kasumi's, who is the one other KT character that cuold get in Smash in my opinion. And Ninja Gaiden dates al the way back to the NES, to the beginings of console gaming. He just feels right in Smash.
Want: 50%
However, I do not care too much abuot him or his series. He fits and he deserves to be in, but I don't care that much about him, even if he's pretty muc a perfect fit for Smash. Like I said in the chance section, he just feels right in Smash.

Prediction
Quote: 24.2%
Shantae: 48.1%

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Some songs to get into the Phoenix Wright mood:

Some songs to get into the Hayabusa mood:

Some songs to get into the Dante mood:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Unbreakable Determination
Chance: 50%

Ive done this a few times now, here's the TLDR. Most wanted character, good relationship between Nintendo and Tecmo, NES character who maintained relevance within Tecmo crossovers. Ultimately the only thing stopping his inclusion is Sakurai just straight up not choosing him for Season 2.

Investigation-Cornered
Chance: 70%

Phoenix has the Nintendo history, a unique genre of games (Visual Novels), and the requests. MvC3 also showed how the character can translate to a fighting game. I personally have any attachments but I'd be OK with this.

Subhuman, no... Devil Trigger
Chance- 40%
Want-60%

There is only one reason I don't want Dante and it doesn't even have to do with him. It's the Smash community.You babies spent the better part of 4 years whining and moaning about Bayonetta, another character action game protagonist. Now you're telling me yall want her half brother, the guy who's running gag is that he gets stabbed a lot. No I don't want it, I don't think I can handle more whining. And for the record Dante will be probably broken. He and his fellow DMC costars were all powerful in the MvC series, and do I need to mention his sister again.

But aside from that, yeah. He'd be dope. Unlikely IMO, but he and his content would be dope.

Nominations: Jin Kazama x5

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Phoenix Wright

Chance: 75%

His series is an icon of Nintendo handhelds and he is viewed by many as an honorary Nintendo character. Capcom also already has a great relationship with Nintendo and he has massive fan demand, so I could see him happening.

One of my most wanteds and a 3rd Party I think even many 1st Party fans would be able to get behind due to his presence on Nintendo. I think he'd come with a great moveset and soundtrack too.

Dante

Chance: 40%

Came to Nintendo a couple years ago with some Switch ports. I could see him going either way.

Want: 15%

I don't really care for him, but good for his fans if he gets in. There's simply other Capcom characters I want more.

Ryu Hayabusa

Iconic NES era pick with decent fan demand. I could see him being picked.

Want: 30%

Same as Dante, don't really care that much about him but good for his fans. Not at the very bottom of my list though.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, I dunno what you do for a living, but videogames, like all entertainment, have to walk that tightrope between art and product. Sakurai has a vision for how a character might work that could clash with the owner's artistic or commercial interests regarding them. So it's of the utmost importance that those differing visions are conveyed with as much fidelity as possible, and that's naturally going to be harder than when dealing without translators, by default. The culture shock can't help, either.
well as it happens im attempting to get into the entertainment industry so ill just file that under advisement

anyway onto the rating

im gonna abstain on the meme lord and the video game worlds most violent ninja and focus on the king of the turnabout

nick
chances: 50% i can see it happening but as usual i can believe it wont happen as well. ace attorney is popular world wide and nick as many many fans and has appeared in plenty of crossovers. really i think the only thing that really stands in his way is if sakurai would want it or not. capcom clearly dont mind him being put in very unusual circumstances, like fighting galactus, so i cant think why theyd be against this.

want: 100% I love the ace attorney games and playing as nick in smash would be amazing, yelling objection to launch bowser and ganon off the stage? yes please. he would have such a bizarre moveset and itd be so awesome and a courtroom stage would be very different. he is by far one of my most wanted third parties along with his bff layton, sora, tails and nate.

nominate nate adams x5

amageish

Smash Master
Man, people using joke names becomes very confusing we're rating three characters at once... Well, here we go!

Dante

Chance: 18%. He's very possible, but oh boy there is a lot of competition within Capcom reps and I'm not even especially convinced we'll get another one - and, frankly, I think people are sleeping on Monster Hunter in terms of discuss base-game franchises that could gain playable characters. Anyway, Dante is from an iconic franchise that is influential within his genre. His creator already has Bayo in Smash and plenty of people would like to see them formally crossover (well, beyond them both appearing in the Shin Megami Tensei mobile game). He strikes me as very possible and would be a big hit if he got in, but there's plenty of competition to be had.

Want: Abstain. He's a great boss in Nocturne; this concludes my opinion.

Ryu Hayabusa

Chance: 25%. Koei's representation in Smash Bros is weird. This company has constantly collaborated with Nintendo and all they have is Fatal Frame, which is co-owned with Nintendo. They don't even have any content from Hyrule Warriors or Fire Emblem Warriors. It's just super weird.... Koei getting a character would make a tonne of sense. I do, however, think Warriors games and Dead or Alive do provide some competition for Ryu - not enough to upstage him as most likely Koei rep, but enough to stop me from considering him as the only plausible Koei rep. Ninja Gaiden has have a trilogy of iconic NES games and the last game starring Ryu was a timed Wii U exclusive, but also the most recent Ninja Gaiden game is a zombie game that is just garbage and since then the franchise has been quiet for 8 years. Being from a dead franchise often doesn't matter for Smash, but I definitely think he'd be a shoo-in with a comeback and until then... I think 1/4 odds ain't bad by any means.

(Also, I think I overrated Kasumi, so pretend I gave her like 12% for the sake of this percentage for Ryu making sense.)

Want: Abstain. I think my opinion on him would very wildly from what games they primarily pull his moveset from. Is this the NES Ryu? The hack-and-slash Ryu? The Dead or Alive Ryu? Some sort of amalgamation? Idk!

Phoenix Wright

Chance: 15%. Same as Dante, but Wright is from what I'd describe as the most niche mainstream franchise, if that oxymoron makes sense. Like, it's a murder mystery visual novel series that often has digital-only releases and has two spin-off-ish games that just haven't been localized, but also it's relatively famous for its meme-worthy soundbites if nothing else. I definitely could see him getting in, given his Nintendo connections and an demand, but, again, I'm not 100% on any Capcom rep in this pass, so I'm not giving him especially high odds.

Want: 100%. Wright is great and I'd love him in Smash. Frankly, the music alone would make his pass worth it for me, even if he had a gimmicky moveset I end up not loving.

Predictions: Shantae = 40% / Quote = 45%
Nominations: Moogle x5, kupo

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I don't feel like doing this as my thoughts on these characters have not changed at all but I really want to voice my support so I will make it quick.

_________

Featuring Dante from the DMC series

Chance: 60%

Tied with Phoenix as the most likely Capcom rep. It's suspicious that the games made it onto the Switch soon after that guy (i think it was the director?) said that Dante needs to be on Nintendo before getting into Smash. DMC as a series is very popular and influential. Dante has been getting a lot of support in recent times, just in time to possibly be chosen for DLC so I can totally see him happening.

Want: 80%

Yes Please! Dante is awesome and is the definition of cool. Awesome design, great music (Public Enemy anyone?), and fun moveset potential. He definitely has what it takes to be in Smash and any similarities between him and Bayonetta are mute with all the special abilities Dante has.

Objection!

I think Wright has the upper hand over Dante when it comes to him being requested longer and his legacy with Nintendo. Ace Attorney is very important for the visual novel genre and he is definitely someone that Sakurai would pick.

Yet another one of my most wanted characters. The Ace Attorney games are my favorite games behind Smash Ultimate itself so you can imagine how much I would fanboy over Phoenix getting in. I LOVE the soundtracks of the games and I'm hoping they add a pretty good amount like at least 20 tracks. Phoenix would have a wacky moveset and a courtroom stage definitely sounds unique.

_________

Unbreakable Determi......someone already took this.

Another 60 I know but this is the score I automatically give for the frontrunners who don't have any major obstacles in their way. Ninja Gaiden is a classic NES series and I have no doubt Ryu would be chosen as Tecmo's playable rep. People will bring up Sheik and Greninja but Ryu has enough unique abilities and weapons to make for an exciting moveset.

Want: 75%

Ninja Gaiden is tied with Castlevania as my favorite NES series. I really enjoy the fast-pace nature of the games and if Sakurai can nail the quick and precise gameplay of the games (Which he would be the one to do it), then Ryu would be a very fun character to play as. And two words: Unbreakable Determination.

Predictions:
Shantae - 35%
Quote - 25%

Noms: Ezio x5

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Wacky Wahoo Pizza Man: 80%
i honestly believe dante has one of the best shots out there. it just feels like everything is lining up for him, ya know? itsuno talking about ports, the timing of said ports, all these things that people have already brought up a bajillion times over the course of the past year or so. dmc is also probably capcom's biggest franchise not represented yet in any way, shape or form. i think he's more likely in than not at this point. still, i'm not THAT confident that i'm giving him a 100 or whatever.

Want: 75%
i gotta admit, even though i'd still vastly prefer wright, dante's been growing on me lately.

Furio Tigre-wait wrong guy: 75%
with all i said about dante taken into account.....i also think he's not nearly as leaps and bounds above phoenix as people claim, even if i do think dante's got the slight edge. because for some reason, people really like to act like ace attorney is this super niche series that stands absolutely no chance against dmc and i am SICK of it. first of all, while dmc is the biggest capcom franchise not yet represented, ace attorney is right on its tail. it's also the TOP candidate for any potential characters from visual novels. ace attorney also actually beats dmc in two categories: nintendo connection and seniority in the smash community. despite all this however, i still think dmc SLIGHTLY edges aa out, but at the same time, people should stop sleeping on phoenix.

yeah, if it isn't clear already, i want this man in smash.

Epic Funny Ninja Man: 75%
yep, same rating as wright. hayabusa has been decently requested for quite a while now, is probably the last really big nes icon at this point, and koei tecmo is probably one of the closest companies to nintendo period. not many other third-party companies have the distinction of having developed both a zelda and a fire emblem game, for starters. i'd say hayabusa has a good shot.

Want: 85%
in the early dlc days, i actually used to really want hayabusa. then i guess he just.....fell off my wants, but now that we're rating him, i've been thinking again, and i'd be glad to return to the hayabusa train.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Dante

Chance: 20%. He is heavily suggested to be in the game, due to popularity. Thing is, Capcom already has three reps and four franchises already in this game, but it's clearly not impossible.

Want: 55%. He would be fun to play as, with some deadly weapons in his arsenal. I also see him teaming up with Bayonetta against Ganondorf, but overall, he would be a decent addition.

The Other Ryu

Chance: 20%. So far, he has not been discomfirmed, at least not yet. His inclusion is still possible, but who knows what will happen.

Want: 50%. While we already have a Ryu and two ninjas, he would be fun to play as. I can see him go in a free for all against Sheik, Greninja and Ryu, amount others. Overall, he would be fun.

Pheonix

Chance: 10%. Most of what I said about Dante's chance is the same for Pheonix. However, I see Dante being the more likely one to get in over Pheonix, but his inclusion is not impossible however.

Want: 50%. He would be a fun character to play as, and a surprising one as well. To save time, he would be a decent choice for a Smash Bros rep.

Predictions: Shantae (20%) and Quote (15%)

Noms: 5 for Gyigas

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Dante
Dante's situation hasn't really changed. There was all that stuff about wanting DMC on switch before Dante should be considered for Smash and it happened, so that's pretty good for him. Dante is starting to turn into Ryu Hayabusa in terms of how much he's been rumored, but it's not there quite yet.

Fun fact, there's an odd rumor floating around that Dante is coming to LoL. There was an upcoming champions article where the description of one them was extremely similar to Dante. Doesn't have anything to do with Smash, just thought it was funny.

Want: 90%
I finished DMC 5 between Dante ratings. Yeah I still want him. Dante's pretty cool and would probably be fun to play in Smash.

Phoenix Wright
Chance: 25%
I think Phoenix is more likely than Dante due to fan demand. I've seen more demand for Phoenix than I have for Dante. Phoenix might be a an easier fit for Smash too,

Want: 85%
The Ace Attorney Trilogy was pretty fun. I like Dante a little bit more but I'd be OK with either of them.

Ryu Hayabusa
Chance: 5%
Ah yes, every fake leakers favorite character. Ryu's name has been thrown around for over a year now as DLC. I feel safe in saying he's leak bait at best. I think that if he was going to be DLC, he would have shown up already. It's not completely impossible, but I'd be surprised to see him in this game at this point.

Want: 20%
Nowhere near the top of my list, but there are many characters that I would pick Ryu over.

Predict: Shantae 30%, Quote 10%

Noms: Alex Mason x5

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Phoenix Wright

Chance: 80%
Everyone's favourite wacky lawyer is almost guaranteed I'd say. If Capcom were to give us a new rep, he'd likely be the one for several reasons. One is that he's extremely famous, iconic and popular. Two is that he's given birth to quite many memes, bolstering his popularity and of course, allowing him many cameos. Three is Nintendo history. I don't think there's a single AA game that has not been on a Nintendo console (and I believe all of them are Nintendo exclusives?). And of course, fourth point is that it's one of their best selling franchises. The only possible drawback would be the moveset, but that didn't stop MvC, that didn't stop PxZ so why would it stop Smash, notorious for having given improbable characters their unique moveset?

Subtracting 5% in case the moveset isn't up to par and that's it. I loved the games and Phoenix would definitely give us something unique. And fun too, I doubt the wacky stepladder man wouldn't be fun to play. I'm just a bit afraid he wouldn't be as fun to fight against, but that's why I subtracted 5%.

-
Dante

A few problems here: Bayo is in Smash, Phoenix exists, limited history with Nintendo. From what we know, Sakurai (or in Ultimate's case, Nintendo) approaches the companies to ask them for the rep. If Nintendo were to choose, they'd more likely go for Phoenix than for Dante. On the flip side, Sakurai was given a list and had to tell Nintendo if he can make a moveset for the candidates. If he said "no" or "not easily" to Phoenix, then I'd say Dante is the likeliest.

This time, I subtract 5% out of fear Dante might be broken. We know how "well" Bayo went in Sm4sh and how "well" Dante went in MvC. So long as he's balanced (as all things should be), then I'm all up for pizza boi. Hopefully with his DMC 3 look as an alt.

-
Hayabusa

Chance: 20% 70%
I'm not too confident about that score... but he does rep Ninja Gaiden and DoA. That's 2 relatively big names for the price of one. Unfortunately, that's not just what Team Ninja is mostly known for, but what they've mostly done at all. Only a handful side projects and co-developed games, that's it. And Nintendo history isn't too big for Hayabusa. Team Ninja as a whole did work with Nintendo quite a bit, but we're talking Hayabusa and his 2 franchises here. I'm feeling generous today, but realistically speaking, I'd give him a 5% instead.

Scratch that last part, I was made aware that Koei Tecmo enjoys a pretty close relationship with Nintendo, being closely involved in the development of FE3H. I knew of the Zelda and FE Warriors spin-offs, but not of their involvement in FE3H, which denotes a truly close partnership - that reminder is recent too. So close in fact I'm bumping up my score by quite a bit (want score remains unchanged, I just pray he won't be made OP).

Not a fan of DoA but Ninja Gaiden can be fun... afraid he could be broken, but he'd certainly be fun... I'm torn in half every time I think of pros and cons for him, so 50% sounds fitting.

-
Predictions:
Shantae - 6%
Quote - 7%

Nominations: concept: new ATs as one new item x5

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Not sure I think anything has really changed for these 3 so I'll just drop my most recent ratings again. Ryu up first

Ryu Hayabusa
Chance 35 - a logical pick that's had a lot of inflation due to fake/bad leaks. Unlike some who have had that though, i can see why he'd get picked. Probably the biggest NES characters not selected for a role yet in Smash. Tecmo also has content in Smash but nothing playable. Could mean something but also might not at all as we keep finding out with Namco characters not named Pac Man. Overall i think he's a pretty safe choice, perfect middle of the pass character like Terry was this time should he get it. Overall wouldn't gamble on it but i could see it.

Want 30 - never played a game and no connection to the character. Seems like an inoffensive choice really. Leaning towards not wanting bc i habe more characters i want first and we do have a few ninjas already but there's likely something to set him apart.
Dante and Phoenix

Phoenix

Chance 50 - I think a Capcom rep is likely and it feels like we're down to what's probably our most likely 2 now that Resident Evil is dead. Phoenix is less known than Dante, so he's going to get a lower score. From what I've seen he's more requested, but is also less iconic. If we don't get a Capcom rep in any of the DLC I'll actually be pretty shocked.

Want 100 - He's my realistic most wanted. Loved the series and think the character would be cool to have in Smash. Getting Phoenix in would probably satisfy my need for one more holy shot moment in Smash.

Dante

Want 55 - Due to popularity he's just a little higher than Phoenix. No lack in popularity and for me at least is just a step under being an icon if he's not there already. Phoenix is more requested and if it matters, more of a history on Nintendo than DMC does. Like I said above, I really think these two are probably the 2 major players for Capcom unless we get another Street Fighter rep in Chun Li, which I doubt happens

Want 40 - Low for a couple reasons here. First, I want Phoenix a lot more. 2nd, he'd mostly be a big combo character and I'm really bad at those, with Bayo being easily one of my worst characters so I don't think I'd have fun playing him. I like some of the music from DMC though and Dante is a big name so I can't be completely against it.
Predictions:
Quote - 4.23%
Shantae - 45%

Noms:
Riptor x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Man, people using joke names becomes very confusing we're rating three characters at once... Well, here we go!
Imagine how it's like for me, one time I was counting scores and I didn't get one of the jokes, fortunately I could use process of elimination to know who they meant.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Dante:
Chance-50%
Want-100%
Yeah, he's really popular now, and I know he was popular before Byleth, but he only really reached the upper echelons of hype after the one-two punch of the shared dates and Byleth's divisive reveal. He'd be a couple months too late to reach Nintendo based on popularity alone, and they wouldn't go back to change things based on the constantly changing desires of the fanbase. That being said, he might have been chosen even without the sudden surge of popularity, and he would be an awesome addition, brimming with style and flair. Just don't treat him as a lock based on current popularity trends.

Phoenix Wright:
Chance-50%
Want-70%
Like Dante, he's a popular Capcom character from a well-know game series. He might not be quite as popular as Dante, be it with myself or the rest of the fandom, but he has a shot, and it would be hilarious to see a mundane attorney beat up the strongest characters Nintendo has to offer.

Ryu Hayabusa:
Chance-70%
Want-80%
If we're getting a Koei-Tecmo fighter, it's him. He'd be another NES classic like Mega Man and Simon, and KT's worked with Nintendo on the Warriors spinoffs and Three Houses. I'd say he has a pretty good chance, and I would be quite satisfied with him.

Nomitate: Klonoa x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Phoenix Wright

Phoenix and Dante are looking to be the frontrunners when it comes to another Capcom character especially with Resident Evil seemingly out of the running. In the case of Phoenix, he's a super popular character whose series is almost entirely Nintendo exclusive. Considering how DMC only recently started getting games on Nintendo systems, Phoenix may have an advantage when it comes to longtime fan support for Smash.

Want: Abstain
I never got around to playing the PW games so I'll abstain on a want score.

Ryu Hayabusa

Ninja Gaiden has a ton of legacy, Koei Tecmo is very Nintendo friendly, and overall Ryu is just an icon of the NES era. Although the main leaks that supported him are now officially dead, it doesn't change that Ryu has a lot going for his inclusion.

Want: 60%
Ninja Gaiden is a both a very frustrating and yet somehow enjoyable game, so seeing an NES all-star like Hayabusa make it in would be great. I've also been interested in playing as a ninja type of character in Smash (yes I know Sheik and Greninja exist but I just don't like their movesets).

Dante

Dante has a ton of mainstream appeal like Phoenix and even the creators are aware of his Smash demand. The Switch getting a ton of DMC ports after Hideaki Itsuno remarked that Smash characters should have games on Nintendo systems first is also very suspicious. Granted while Phoenix does have a stronger Nintendo history, we've seen with characters like Joker that Nintendo history isn't the sole factor when it comes to making it into Smash. Considering how bigger of a series DMC is, I think Dante may have the slight upperhand.

Want: Abstain
Like Phoenix, I never played any of the DMC games so I'll abstain.

-----

Shantae chance predictions: 40.00% (people are gonna overblow her chances since spirits are back in the running, fully expecting +60% chance scores)
My profile pic chance predictions: 15.00%

Nominations:
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x60 (daily 5 + my extra 55 noms)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This. Is. SPARDAAA

Dante is on Switch, and he and his games are legendary. On the flip side, his support came way too late to be noticed, so that won't help him, and tbh I dunno if Nintendo would go for him over MonHun and AA considering DMC6 will probably not come to Switch.

I love DMC. Dante would be kickass and play awesome.

The miracle never happen

I think he's the Capcom frontrunner, high demand, iconic, very influential. He's just from a smaller series, but I think the previous stuff plus being almost a Nintendo character (the most Nintendo out of all Capcom's games save Mega Man) more than makes up for it. Docking some point because of high competition.

My most wanted third party. Would be a dream to have him.

What the...?

Last time I gave him 100%, won't do that again because I don't think we'll get many third parties, but he's got a great shot. Iconic, influential, Nintendo as all hell, and he's the frontrunner for a big Japanese dev with tons of Ninty connections yet very little content.

What can I say, I love Ninja Gaiden too. Lots of hundos today.

Noms: ****ing Tidus x5
Quote prediction: 11.2%
Shantae prediction: we got a Spirit so her fans are bound to give like multiple 70+ scores, I'll go 56.13%

waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi Quoting previous posts has always counted, for both scores and noms.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Fun fact, there's an odd rumor floating around that Dante is coming to LoL. There was an upcoming champions article where the description of one them was extremely similar to Dante. Doesn't have anything to do with Smash, just thought it was funny.
There's also a rumor about how an LoL character will join the roster.
This is how we get Dante in Smash

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Phoenix Wright is the last Smash character I truly want. I have previously voiced my thoughts on him in this thread not once, but twice. As we commence the speculation cycle for the rest of fighters pass two, I think Phoenix Wright's chances are as good as ever. This post will largely focus on the Ace Attorney himself, but I will chime in on Dante and Ryu Hayabusa near the end.

Phoenix Wright

With fighter pass two now underway, some things have definitely changed in the speculation community. For one, Min Min now deconfirms spirits, meaning that other third parties like Rayman and Shantae can now be considered "competition". On the other hand, fighter pass one added mostly third parties, with the biggest one being Banjo & Kazooie, an incredibly popular, long-time request from fans. With some companies, like SNK and Microsoft, now represented through DLC characters, it gives some breathing room for other third party companies, like Capcom and Namco.

With that said, I still think Phoenix Wright has pretty good odds. I would be incredibly surprised if there were no Capcom characters at all, as they have one of the largest pools of IPs to use of any company, and are notorious for DLC in general. Resident Evil may not be serious competition anymore, as most of the main characters from that series were added as spirits post-release, but as Min Min proves, one of them could be promoted regardless. Devil May Cry is also notable, as it recently entered the world of Nintendo through its recent Switch ports. One more Capcom series that I think is worth noting is Okami. Okami could bring a lot of Smash, being an artistic game and a cult classic, and Amaterasu would be a very unique fighter.

All things considered, Ace Attorney still has an edge with its seniority. As Ace Attorney has been a Nintendo mainstay since the GameBoy Advance, only being ported to non-Nintendo consoles last year, it feels Wright for Phoenix to join Smash. Worst case scenario, we may not get any Capcom rep at all, but I personally can't see that happening. Capcom has so many IPs that would fit well into Super Smash Bros., and while Ace Attorney is a series that wouldn't feel out of place in Smash, it's also competing with other third party companies and fellow Capcom reps.

Phoenix Wright is the only character I would main if they were added as DLC at this point. With his strong sense of justice, the ability to believe in his clients because he wants to bring out the best in them, and overcoming many ludicrous odds throughout the Ace Attorney series, I can heavily relate to him as a character. The fact that Phoenix can go against foes that are more experienced than him, and still come out on top, is what could make him satisfying as a lower tier character if he became one. Plus, he would be a funny comedic relief sort of character, with wacky moves like pulling out a ladder/step ladder as an up special, dropping The Thinker statue as a down air, and the infamous desk slam as a down smash.

The Ace Attorney games are also among my favorite games of all time. The Ace Attorney games are very high quality, containing likable characters, great stories, fantastic music, and gameplay that rewards creative thinking and reading comprehension. I have played every game in the series, except for DGS2, and the games do a fantastic job of gripping me into their world. In my opinion, Ace Attorney is too good of a franchise to leave behind as a niche in the gaming community, and Smash would give it the push it needs to become more mainstream, just like Persona and Fatal Fury. The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over; Phoenix Wright being added would make me pop off so hard, and I would do my best with going to tournaments with him.

Dante

As I said with Phoenix Wright, Devil May Cry is another Capcom IP that could enter Smash. I feel like he and Phoenix Wright are the two most likely Capcom characters to be added as DLC in my opinion, and Dante's chances are also pretty good. With the recent ports of Devil May Cry 1, 2, and 3 on the Switch, it seems like Capcom wants Nintendo fans to be more aware about Devil May Cry and Dante in general. Dante also has a ton of moveset potential for Smash, and he seems likely to be a higher tiered character in my opinion, potentially making him common and popular in the competitive Smash community. While the ports are much more recent than Ace Attorney's Nintendo debut on the GameBoy Advance, they do fit within the time-frame of when fighter pass two characters would have been negotiated for. If Capcom will have a representative in fighter's pass two, it's probably going to be a toss up between Phoenix Wright and Dante. May the best man win.

Want: 5%

I personally don't really want Dante that much. I feel like he would become another top tier, which would be cool, but I don't find myself playing as top tier characters that much. Aside from that, I haven't played Devil May Cry before. While I would be happy for those who wanted Dante, getting Dante would mean that Phoenix Wright probably wouldn't join instead. That would disappoint me personally, but I would accept that Dante got in instead and just move on. Plus, I wanted King K. Rool in Smash the most out of any character overall during pre-release, so I can't really complain no matter what happens. Dante fans are just as passionate as Phoenix Wright fans, so Capcom would win regardless.

Ryu Hayabusa

As a character that has been around since the NES, Ryu Hayabusa has the history and cultural significance to be worthy of joining the Smash roster. Ninja Gaiden is iconic for being tough-as-nails, being one of the first games to feature cutscenes, and its tight and precise gameplay. Koei Tecmo also doesn't have a wide variety of IPs that would work well with Smash, in my opinion. Ryu Hayabusa is one of the best choices for repping the company, due to Ninja Gaiden being one of their most recognizable IPs, as well as the moveset potential he could have combining his original NES games and the Xbox reboot games. The arcade version of Ninja Gaiden is also on the Switch, which is worth noting. He would be one of the only NES era third parties left that could be added, along with the BattleToads, Jason from BlasterMaster, and Bill Rizer from Contra.

With that said, I don't feel too strongly about Ryu's chances. Koei Tecmo and Nintendo already have a strong relationship, largely thanks to games like Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors. If Nintendo picks a Koei Tecmo rep specifically, I feel like they would have to have a really good reason for it, but it's definitely possible. Koei Tecmo is also competing with many other new-to-Smash third party companies that may want in, like Activision, Level-5, Ubisoft, Nippon Ichi, Team Shanghai Alice, and more.

I think Ryu Hayabusa would be a cool addition to Smash. He would represent one of the most graphically impressive games of the NES era, and Ninja Gaiden is among Koei Tecmo's most important IPs. All things considered, considering the playstyle Ryu Hayabusa would bring to the game, it wouldn't do a lot for me personally and I wouldn't find myself playing as him too much. It would be cool to see him alongside other characters like Mega Man and Simon Belmont though.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Donte, el exterminador de demonios.

I firmly believed that Capcom wasn't getting more chances for characters last Pass. Now things have changed a little, from the producer saying how Dante should need a Nintendo presence before his debut (which he now does) and his recent popularity whitin the fandom and his well defined popularity in the Capcom Sphere as a whole AND his franchise's return, should be an indicator of him beign a very plausible choice. Im not even taking into account the fact that Sakurai is friends with Dante's (and Bayonetta) creator: Hideki Kamiya, and i im firmly in the camp that believes that Sakubias is a thing, so i wouldn't surprised that should Nintendo ever propose him this character, Sakurai would probably go for it.

However, Min-Min showed me one thing, First Parties are now the ones leading this Pass, and i just can't see us having the same situation in which the rest of the Pass is JUST Third Parties. Im willing to die in this hill. For me this means that the spots for Dante to take are reduced, since adding at least one more Nintendo character would probably be easier and cheaper than adding nothing but guests like last time (yes i know Byleth exists, but the exception proves the norm).

IM not saying he is unlikely because he is a third party, no no no. If E3 wasn't cancelled, im pretty sure we would have seen ONE by now, but since Third Parties MAY not be as dominant as before, i wouldn't surprised if Sakurai skipped him. Not to mention he likes introducing characters from new companies each installment, and im expecting at least another one to show up. Not only that but i still believe Capcom may not be getting another character for the time beign.

Want:1%
Im sorry. Dante is cool and all, but i just don't like the idea of him in Smash, and nothing i have seen of him convices me.

Harvey Birdman, Anime Edition.

Similar to Dante above, but he has the benefit of having a longer history with Nintendo which means a lot of N Players overlap with Ace Attorney fans, making him more requested in the Smashshphere (read: Hardoce community, the same one that pushed for the likes of Banjo, K.Rool, Little Mac, Mega Man and Ridley) and his series while not as mainstream as the one above, sitll has a strong passionate following. Does not make a guarantee, but i think it helps. His moveset is also not an issue since if MVC3 can do it, so can Sakurai, A.K.A "i want to give a moveset to a Plant".

Want:3%

Im not interesed in Phoenix Wright's games, so he doesn't do it for me. I do have to say he feels much more at home here than Dante, but this is based on of much interest i have on the character, not if they are a good fit for Smash (which i do admit, Phoneix is) i also have to say my bias plays a big part here. My most wanted characters always come from action games, namely sidescroller platformers or adventure games, and characters like Pheonix Wright aren't just the kind of character i think "oh yeah, this character would be fun to play as in Smash as in its home games!". If im beign honest between Dante and Phoneix...........i prefer Sir Arthur.

This is it!, The Third Party character that i see as THE most likely choice. Why? Many reasons.

One, Sakurai has made a big fuss of wanting to expand Smash's horizons. Because of this, it's no surprsie to me that during the course of the series, many Third Party companies have allowed their most popular and iconic and versatile characters in Smash. We have almost all the major japanese third party companies here. Capcom, Konami, Sega, SNK and Namco. The only other one i can name of the top of my head is Tecmo Koei, and while they have an Assist Trophy in Smash, i wouldn't be surprised if they wanted a bigger slice of tht Smash pie. Why Ryu out of all characters? Ninja Gaiden isn't the best selling Tecmo series (DOA and DW sell better) but neither was Mega Man for Capcom. Ryu isn't just Ninja Gaiden's main character, he is Mr. Tecmo, in the same way Terry is Mr. SNK.

-Ninja Gaiden is a long franchise with spawns way back from the 80's as an Arcade beat em up game, an era Sakurai is undobdebtly fond of. It made its way into the NES as a trilogy and is Tecmo's most well known work for the System, not to mention one of the most memorable games on the library next to Castlevania, Mega Man, Punch Out and so on. As shown above, it was even mentioned in the Wizard, a movie that's just a walking advertisement for Mario 3 in America, so it's clear that in the large gameshpere of old school games, Ryu and Ninja Gaiden are Extremely fondly remembered among gamers. The series also made appereances in almost any old school system like The Game Gear, the Amstrad, the Super Nintendo, the ZX Spectrum, Game Boy, PC Engine, etc. It wasn't just a NES Trilogy, it was one of the most memorable franchises to come from the Third Generation.

-You may think the appeal of this franchise would only apply to Nintendo boomers who laugh at game journalists who can't even pass a tutorial, but you're wrong on that. After taking a hiatus on the Fifth Generation of Systems, it came back with a vengance on the Sixth with the Ninja Gaiden Reboot. A full on hack and slash series featuring multiple weaponry for your character. It was released on the Xbox and later went on to appear on systems like the PS3 and Vita, and not to mention it became a trilogy once again showing up in the Xbox 360 and even the Wii U. It also had a spin-off in the Nintendo DS. This franchise also appeals to the non-Nintendo hardcore gamers of the 6th and 7th generations, which are becoming all the more nostalgic of these games as time passes.

Lastly, He is a recurring fighter in the Dead or Alive series. He isn't just a cameo for show, no. He's actually one of the most prominent characters in the franchise and the ONE male character that isn't overshadowed by the large female cast when it comes to beign recognizable to outsiders of the franchise (outside of maybe Hayate and Zack). He was the main narrative character in DOA2 beign the winner of the second tournament and the one who defeats the big bad of the game, Tengu. He even appears in the Koei Tecmo's Warrior games, albeit in Unplayable form in Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce and Warriors Orochi 3. He would however get his playable chance in Warriors All Stars.

So basically, not only his franchise is one of the most prominent old school series of the third and sixth generation, not only is he agruably the most prollific and iconic and popular "Video Game Ninja" in its purest form, but he's also made appereances in the other 2 of Tecmo Koei's most recognizable franchises outside of Ninja Gaiden.

He overlaps with certain types of characters that we have seen in Smash before, but he doesn't feel like a rehash since he caters to both types. An old school third party whose series was heavily feature in old school Nintendo systems for all ages? Mega Man, Simon and Hero. A M-Rated Third Party character who caters to gamers outside of usual Nintendo sphere? Snake and Joker.

Moveset? Please, this guy has a Katana, can climb walls and wall jump, can use Shurikens, Windmill Shuriken that works like a Boomerang, A Shield made out of Fire, Fire Ninjutsu, etc. And this is only his NES iteration. I haven't gotten into the full on combos Ryu can do in the Modern Games or his MASSIVE arsenal like a Scythe, a Bo, Nunchucks, Claws, and even Dual Wielding Katanas.

and before you say "MUH SHIEK" and "MUH GRENINJA" Im gonna go and repost what i said months ago:
Have you ever noticed similarities between characters? I don't mean echoes or clones or characters re-ussing animations, but as it tropes and ideas a character uses. Back in Melee, we had Shiek, a ninja-like character, and another one in 4 with Greninja. Those characters tell us some of the ideas Sakurai is interesed that he revisist from time to time, and sometimes it feels like it gives us a picture as to what Sakurai wants from a character.

Shiek's Chain pre-Smash 4? That's like Simon's whip from SCIV (Sakurai said himself that Castlevania made a big impact of him, so i wouldn't be surprised he took inspiration from the franchise and made nods to it before Simon's debut in Ult, after all Sakurai referenced Street Fighter in Super Star with the Fighter copy ability) Yoshi's Side B and Jiggly's rollout? Basically Proto-Spindash (Sonic was conisdered in Melee even) Some characters as a whole embody ideas that are similar to other characters. Smash 4 Zero Suit Samus gives Bayonetta vibes with all the things they added to her, from the Heels to the Beauty Mark, to the new Side Smash and Up Special. So much so that her All Star Congratulations Picture is a Bayonetta reference (before Bayo herself was even confirmed). Duck Hunt is basically Proto-Banjo at this point in my eyes, it would explain why the Duck is always mounted on the Dog, which is an idea i have only see Sakurai use, other pre-Smash 4 fan movesets i have seen for Duck Hunt used the Duck to much lesser extents (and especially not in the way they are used in Smash officially)

Where im going with this, is that Sakurai likely wants a Ninja Character in Smash, no only he has toyed with this idea, but now he has a basis for said Theorical Ninja character thanks to Shiek and Gren, so development time could go smoother than usual (Hero clearly takes attacks from other sword users like Link's Dash attack, and Joker takes a lot of character animations, as a tweet once showcased)

That's why i think Ryu could stand a chance, because his archetype a Ninja warrior is something that Sakurai likes (he even added a Ninja Copy Ability in Super Star) and he has used this idea before, but only in the more superficial "super agile fragile character" style, he probably would like to go full Ninja with everything that embodies one like Ninjutsu abilities or other Ninja Weapons, and Ryu fits the bill.

And no i don't Shiek and Greninja "already beign Ninjas in Smash" hurt his chances, if anything they make him more likely (plus if an archetype makes a character more unlikely i seriously dobut we would have so many sword users)
I mean for christ sake, Sakurai considered NINJARA out of all people for the ARMS rep before setting on Min Min. Im pretty sure Sakurai has a thing for ninjas at this point.

Oh what? "MUH RELVEANCE"? Yeah sure, tell that to Banjo and Terry. and before anyone says "BUT BANJO WAS SUPER POPULAR AND THAT'S WHY RELEVANCE WAS IRRELEVANT" is a non-argument. Sakurai saw merit on the character and therefore he added him, despite his series beign dead since 2008. Terry's Smash reveal says "Smash X Fatal Fury" despite Fatal Fury beign dead since 1999, EVEN BEFORE MELEE CAME OUT, and that's because Terry has become SNK's number 1 mascot, which is why he appears in the KOF series despite his series beign dead (a case of Iconic Character, Forgotten Title).

When it comes to merit, moveset potential and legacy, Ryu is the only one who i have any majore confidence outside of Geno and maaaaybe Crash. The only reason he is not rated any highter is because of me beign a pessimist in chances, the fact that Nintendo may suggest another guest that will play more to their interest, or Tecmo beign satisifed with their representation in Smash for whatever reason, etc

Outside of that, yeah, this is my pick when it comes to predictions.

Want:70%
I could go on and on about why i like Ryu Hayabusa in Smash, but you can see i already kind of did when it comes to his chances. I will say that i hope his moveset is mostly based on his NES outings, but im not against using modern or DOA elements at all either.

He's probably the only Third Party left that i want alongside Crash. I mean i like characters like Bomberman, Sophia and Quote, but those 2 are the ones that i actively would like to see.

Noms:
Sophia and Jason Frudnick (Blaster Master Zero) X5

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It also contained a gif with somme sort of "rank counter" going from E to S. Even if it's not dante, this upcoming champion is clearly inspired by him. The reference couldn't be more clear, really.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Concept: A person of color x150
Tidus x125
The Stretchers x120
Moogle x120
D.Va x115
Zelda (BotW sequel) x110
Nate Adams x110
Alex Mason x110

100 - 51

Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x96
[Rerate] Frisk x90
Shuichi Saihara x90
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Red (Angry Birds) x80
Proto Man x75
Fulgore x74
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) x70
[Rerate] Ezio x65
Boss: Ender Dragon x61
Echo: Xion (Sora) x55

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x50
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x50
Sakura Shinguji x50
The Terrarian x50
Concept: More ATs as one new item x50
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x45
Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x45
Echo: Dark Bowser (Bowser) x44
Austin the Butler (Gardenscapes) x40
Echo: Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool) x39
Stage: Bowser's Castle x38
Gooigi x37
Billy Hatcher x35
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x34
Urbosa x30
Giygas x30
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x27
Rival Pokémon Trainer x25
Concept: Dark Souls rep x25

Under 25

Concept: Returning stages x21
Jin Sakai x20
Concept: Deltarune content x20
Riptor x20
The Bard (Wandersong) x20
Zeraora x15
Black Shadow x15
Wolf Link x15
Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is half Nintendo and half third party x15
Concept: FP2 character comes with an Echo Fighter x15
Lora and Jin x15
Boss: Rayquaza x14
Magolor x12
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x10
[Rerate] Monokuma x10
Gran/Djeeta x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x10
Concept: Bravely Default rep x10
Concept: Rocket League rep x10
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x10
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x10
[Rerate] Maxwell x10
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x10
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x10
Chell x8
Taranza x6
Concept: Darkstalkers rep x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Mii Costume: Hat Kid x5
Concept: Portal 2 rep x5
Breath of the Wild 2 Ganondorf x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Concept: Fortnite character x5
Cooking Mama x5
Jill (Drill Dozer) x5
Asuka (Senran Kagura) x5
Furret x5
Deku Scrub x5
Mii Costume: Edward Falcon x5
Concept: A LABO character x5
Cynthia x5
Concept: Bonus character x5
John Marston x5
Concept: No AT promotions x5
[Rerate] Morrigan Aensland x5
[Rerate] Cadence x5
Klonoa x5
Octoling x5
Kazuya Mishima x5
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x5
Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA x5
Excitebiker x5
Concept: Generic Zora x3
Three Mage Sisters x2
Concept: A Pokémon Trainer who fights x2
Concept: A fighter who uses all kicks x2
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x2
Concept: Generic Goron x2
Mii Costume: Jacket x2
Echo (Olimar) x1

Tidus fights The Stretchers off and takes second place for himself, as Moogle beats D.Va and moves on to a duel with those pesky Stretchers for third place, and Nate Adams and Alex Mason both tie with Zelda for sixth place.

Today's new nominees, all with 5 noms, are Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume, Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA, and Excitebiker. I'm excited to rate all of them for the music alone! ( Sari Sari I swear to God, if you don't pick the Avengers theme for that concept I will be mad.)

Calcs are coming.

Last edited:

Sphenodon

Smash Rookie
Haven't played any titles of these game franchises, but may as well give this a shot based off what I do know.
---
Dante (Devil May Cry)
WANT: 35%
CHANCE: 50%

Not that much to say about Dante, overall. He is in a good position by not really having flak against him and having Capcom interest in the Switch; having new, and more importantly critically acclaimed, titles is a boost as well. That said, I can't say he rings any bells in particular for my own interest. I've heard a lot of good about the games, but my sheer lack of knowledge with them makes it hard to comment on this any more than a tepid encouragement for what would probably be a rush of a character to play as. The memes are an added bonus.

Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
WANT: 50%
CHANCE: 40%

From the perspective of bringing in a visual novel rep and a mystery game rep, Phoenix Wright has substantial representational appeal. There's also the fact that not only does he have some presence in fighting games already, but a novel playstyle made by the SSBU development team would probably be remarkably unique. At the same time, a lack of recent appearances and being so comparatively hard to smoothly fit into a fighting game compared to Dante (his main Capcom rival) are obstacles.

Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
WANT: 15%
CHANCE: 40%

Ryu is admittedly a character I have next to no familiarity with. The >30 year age of the franchise is nothing to sneeze at, and I have no doubt that Ryu implemented into Smash would have a fun moveset and playstyle. I lack the familiarity to host much positive opinion towards Ryu, though.
---
Nominations: Magolor (5x)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
A non video game characters gets a Mii costume? I like that one, I might help nom it later.

But for now

Content from currently unreleased game x5

Oh and abstain, I just can't be bothered today

Predictions
Shantae 40%
Quote 12%

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Chance: 65%

Never wanna get too cocky, but I'm feeling like this is his time. Capcom's been gettin' a real good deal on representation in Smash Bros, and I feel like that trend's gonna continue into FP Vol. 2. And of the Capcom choices still left (Resident Evil got spirited away, and Monster Hunter is kinda still in the running but it got content in base game so I dunno if they'll loop back to 'em for DLC), I'd say Ace Attorney is in the best spot, for reasons others have mentioned.

Every mainline game the series has, and even its spinoffs, have all been on Nintendo consoles first and foremost. The original trilogy got ported to other consoles, and modern games like Dual Destinies and DGS got mobile ports, but they were all on Nintendo consoles first. Plus, Phoenix has been a highly-requested character for a while. Don't like gettin' my hopes up, but I feel like this is his time. I hope I'm right.

By the gods, yes. Phoenix has been my #1 most wanted character since the Brawl days. I have wanted to see this man fight with the best of 'em for the greater part of 14 years. Everyone else on my most wanted list is just "yeah they'd be cool", but Phoenix remains the only choice I'm legitimately hoping and praying for at this point. The Ace Attorney series is very important to me, and kickstarted my interest in getting a career in law. Phoenix is one of my favorite protagonists of any game I've played, and to see him realized in Smash would be my ultimate dream come true.

Sakurai, PLEASE. I'm begging you. Throw me a bone.

This party's gettin' crazy! Let's rock!

Basically everything I said about Capcom gettin' the good treatment in Phoenix's post. I'm dockin' a couple points because Dante hasn't had the long-standing Nintendo presence Phoenix has, but I sure as hell ain't counting him out. Plus, translating him into any fighting game is a no-brainer. You could make an entire moveset out of a single weapon of his. There is no shortage of inspiration to draw from for this man.

I want Phoenix first, but if Dante DID end up getting it, be that pre or post-Phoenix, you won't hear a word of complaint outta me. He'd be ****in' sick. Just look at him in the Marvel vs. Capcom games, and you'll see just how stylish this guy can be in a 2D fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkIMc8jv-rM

Full disclosure, I'm basing this mostly on the fact that a lot of leakers talked about him, and we never really got an explanation as to why so many people were hearing his name behind the scenes. But I feel like he's got a really good shot. Sure, Ninja Gaiden has been a bit dead in the water recently, but I could totally see them announcing Ryu and then being like "SURPRISE! New Ninja Gaiden in development exclusively on Nintendo Switch!"

Plus, Ninja Gaiden was a really popular game on the NES. So he could easily fulfill our "NES/Retro rep" quota that every Smash game seems to have.

I ****in' love ninjas, and Ryu Hayabusa is one of the best ninjas in gaming. I played a fanmade moveset for him in Rivals of Aether, and it just proved to me just how cool he could be in a platform fighter.

I wanna Izuna Drop a fool off the side of the stage.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That Ultra Necrozma theme is a banger, why don't we have that in Ultimate?

Also, I find it pretty funny that both Doom and Skyrim have songs called One They Fear or something similar.

Min Min satisfaction
82.29%
Min Min has the highest satisfaction score out of all the first-party DLC characters (which... wasn't hard, given the competition). In case you want to compare, these are the DLC satisfaction ratings, in order:
Stage Builder 85.25%
Terry 84.39%
Mementos 83.54%
Banjo-Kazooie 83.09%
Min Min 82.29%
Joker 79.75%
Fighter Pass 75.18%
Hero 68.53%
Byleth 58.34%
Piranha Plant 56.60%

The Boss
3.57% Chance - 27.73% Want
Winner of predictions was Sari Sari by virtue of being the highest prediction, with 3.41%

Decidueye
2.22% Chance - 35.04% Want
Winner of predictions was Calamitas Calamitas with 2.35%

Doomguy
9.22% Chance - 47.36% Want
First time we rated him he got 10.89% chance and 37.78% want. This was in the pre-Joker days, where he hadn't been "leaked" and his sole boon was that Doom Eternal would be on the Switch. Second time we rated him he got 37.24% chance and 55.59% want. That was after Hero-Banjo, and while the Steve/Doomguy/Hayabusa had been proven fake by Banjo, it seems that it being another Microsoft character in lieu of Steve was enough to keep people confident in the leak. As for the huge rise in want, might have been the retro ports, or the tons of discussion he got making people fans of him. Last time we rated him he got 2.86% chance and 44.15% want. This was after Byleth, and more importantly after the damning interview. So what changed since then to make his chances higher? Honestly... not much. People just started ignoring the interview happened, which is an interesting way of approaching discussion.
Winner of predictions was waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi with 6.84%

Dragonborn
17.53% Chance - 52.15% Want
First time we rated them they got 15.96% chance and 38.47% want. Same circumstances as Doomguy's first, but Skyrim was still Bethesda's go-to example of Nintendo support. Crazy to think that at some point Dovahkiin was the top dog for Bethesda and not Doomguy. Second time we rated them they got 25.71% chance and 53.00% want. This was after Terry's reveal, but before the Metro interview, so I assume people just thought them likely when not rated in close proximity to Doomguy - or, alternatively, Terry definitely killed Doomabusa, so Dovahkiin was free to run with it. Last time we rated them they got 19.69% chance and 47.40% want. Lo and behold, they were rated together with Doomguy, and even though Doomguy got like 2%, that still apparently hurt Dovahkiin too. I guess when people are reminded that Doomguy won't get in, that makes them feel that Bethesda is less likely overall? I guess that happened this time too, with chance still slowly dropping, though the Vault Boy Mii Costume might also have had to do with that. Either way, want keeps rising.
Winner of predictions was DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire with 15.64%

And now, the extra noms list

Artix Artix 15
Awakining Awakining 5
Calamitas Calamitas 5
DaUsername DaUsername 92
Delzethin Delzethin 5
DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire 5
Lyncario Lyncario 5
NintenRob NintenRob 5
Nemuresu Nemuresu 10
Ninjaed Ninjaed 15
Perkilator Perkilator 5
Ridrool64 Ridrool64 5
Sari Sari 55
SKX31 SKX31 10
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 10
Troykv Troykv 15
waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi 5

SharkLord SharkLord I looked at your posts again and it turns out, I should have explained the rules to you. When you rate a character or concept, you need to give two sentences per score (so if you rate both chance and want, you need four sentences of reasoning, but if you only rate want you just need two, etc). If you don't reach that number, your nominations won't be counted. Scores are counted on an individual basis (so, if you give two sentences for your chance score but only one for want, your chance score will be counted but not your want score), but nominations are all or nothing (you need to reach the sentence number on all your scores). With double and triple days the same rules apply (so if you rate chance and want for two characters you need 8 sentences, if you rate three characters you'll need 12, etc). If you don't know about a character or don't feel like typing so much, you can just abstain. If you abstain, you're refraining from giving scores, but you can still give nominations and they will be counted. Predictions are counted no matter what. It's a lot to take in, so if you've any more doubts, feel free to ask!

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
They totally delayed him to FPvol2 bro
Chance: 55%
Fake leaks aside, he's just generally a sensible pick many are set on Sakurai choosing, with him being an NES icon and Koei Tecmo having a healthy relationship with Nintendo. He might not be some huge, triple A, internet shattering inclusion but that won't bump him down by much if the first fighters pass is anything to go by.

I actually went ahead and played Ninja Gaiden on NES online a few months back... I didn't like it. The last few levels/bosses basically soured the experience to the point I had to savescum. Regardless, I see more potential in his hack and slash incarnation, which would grant him a big movepool. He'd probably excite me if I was looking for that in my newcomers but as it stands, Hayabusa would be a bit on the predictable and boring side to me.
Funny objection man & Pizza guy
Phoenix chance: 20%
Dante chance: 50%
While certainly one of the most likely Capcom characters, I never felt Wright was all that likely. Always thought his support hinged a little too much on his MVC3 appearance. Many people use that as proof he could work in Smash but I don't see Sakurai really wanting to copy and paste that moveset over in his own game like that. I'm also not sure if he ever was that heavily requested, and while Nintendo legacy certainly matters, it's a factor currently being fixed on Dante's front. Despite not being one of my personal predictions, I think he's just the much likelier of the two. Dante, allthough not being as quirky, has undeniably more moveset potential than Wright, is a creation by a good budd of Sakurai and DMC is overall just a more mainstream series.

Want: Abstaining on both, I haven't touched an Ace Attorney game (yeah I'm that guy) and am only in very early game of DMC1 to really form an opinion.
Shantae: 18.14%
Quote: 7.93%
Magolor x5
Deltarune content x5

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Dante
Chance: 52%
Recognizable, highly-requested, and popular in and out of the Smash fanbase. There isn’t anything really significant I’d say he has over Phoenix Wright. Nintendo could easily choose him and I would understand.
Want: 78%
He's a good choice for Smash. He has q lot of flair in combat that would be cool to see in Smash. I already wanted him more than Bayonetta, so I'd find him an overdue rep for his genre.

Phoenix Wright
Chance: 52%
Same as Dante. Well-known, gets requested a lot, and is popular in and out of Smash. He’d be a sensible enough newcomer that I could see Nintendo choosing; there isn’t anything serious putting him above the Phoenix.
Want: 8%
He's a good character, butI don't care too much about playing as him.I could just play Crusade if I really really wanted to. He wouldn't be the worst choice.

Ryu
Chance: 90%
Koei-Tecmo’s go-to character were they to get one of their properties as a Smash fighter. His NES legacy and lasting role in gaming over the years gives him a good reason on top of being requested often and Koei-Tecmo being heavily involved with Nintendo recently. It's honestly odd that he hasn't shown up in the past 2 Smashes at all. I think the only reason Nintendo wouldn't add him is if they strictly centered Pass 2 around recent and upcoming major releases.
Want: 5%
I think he fits in Smash and I understand why he would be added. I don't have much interest in how he would play. I'm frankly tired of seeing the ninja/speedy thief archetype and would prefer many others before him.

Nominations: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon content ×5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Dante

Chance - 10% - Dante hype came a bit too late to affect anything, I think. While he has had his games now technically eligible due to the prior comments, it's hard to say how much that will translate into him getting into Smash. The thing is, Capcom has huge competition, some of which makes it hard to stand out, and there have been several characters who have been in demand more for some time. While I won't completely run it off, I don't think it's likely.

Want - 40% - Remember the Bayo 4 glory days? I don't want a repeat of that. I would rather keep Dante away, as his games don't appeal to me.

Phoenix Wright

Chance - 15% - While fairly similar to Dante, he has the advantage of being around longer, at least for Nintendo Systems, and having been in demand for Smash longer. A small problem seems to arise in that for third parties, they have mostly chosen more conventional fighters instead of more out-their ones, the only exception thus far being possibly Pac-Man. They will have to get fairly creative in order to get Wright working, which may make him held off. That said, I think his longer-standing demand is enough to give him an edge over Dante, though it's fuzzy enough that I won't argue with you if you think otherwise.

Want - 75% - Phoenix just fits. Anyone who doesn't know "OBJECTION!" is objectively missing out on a big part of video game culture, and his notible Nintendo presence while being slightly off-kilter concept wise for a fighter makes him a great choice.

Ryu

Chance - 37.5% - I'm a bit conservative with my chances, but I think he's one of the most likely. With his company's content already in Smash, Ryu seems just a short distance away. He's practically Koei-Tecmo's mascot, who also has the advantage of being a classic Nintendo icon. Basically I only see him being skipped because something new and hip or of really big interest to Nintendo/Sakurai out-prioritizes him.

Want - 75% - Another classic Nintendo icon who would feel right at home. While we kinda already have two ninjas, I still think there's room to grow, and he's practically the father of the playable Ninja character. I don't see any problems with him otherwise.

Nominations

Monster Hunter X5

Troykv

Smash Master
Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series

I have a feeling, about a Capcom rep being definitely a thing in the future, Capcom still has many recognizable characters and several of them are really desired in Smash, Dante is one of them, Dante benefits a bit in the possibility of being in Smash mostly for... weird statements, that makes his relevance to Smash audience skyrock, still a popular choice with tons of appeal.

My experience with Devil May Cry is VERY limited, I literally only know of the series thanks to the hype a lot of Youtubers have for the series, talking about the games, specially 3 (and more recently 5). So I'm pretty neutral with Dante, the half-demon.

Pheonix is Wright, or Ryuichi... Naruhodo.

Same deal as Dante, just change, skyrocking relevance for instead, lasting support for the fanbase (Dante Smash Support is relatively recent all things considered); that definitely had helped some characters to be considered above other that "could made more sense" from a financial perspective.

Want: 60%

Unlike DMC, I actually have some experiences with Ace Attorney, I'm not used to playing Classic Adventure Games of any kind (the point and click kind or the visual novels, and Ace Attorney falls in the middle). But the engaging world of Ace Attorney really sold me the idea, and I would be happy to see him in Smash.

Ryu Hayabusa, the Dragon, the Ultimate Ninja.

Ryu chances in Smash are overall... weird, this character appears all over the place in discussions about leaks, and speculation, for some reason or another, but I can personally can take as good sign even if all of it is fake, Ryu Hayabusa is a gaming icon, he represents a legacy many follow, and the character, despite don't having new games in his own franchises for some years now, have managed to remain revelant thanks to be The Man of Koei Tecmo, one of his oldest characters that had survived the test of time, and became pretty much became a mascot for the company... And Tecmo is definitely in the radar for a future Smash Character in a potential attempt of Sakurai of getting something from Tecmo in Smash; just like with Terry, it could be fitting to choice Ryu Hayabusa as their rep.

Want: 70%

First of all, I love ninjas, so he'd be cool for default; anyway, I have a deep respect for the Ninja Gaiden franchise, specially the NES games which are the ones I played, they're incredible experience, harsh and cruel at times, but extremely rewarding, even I never managed to beat the games, I really like them... Also, I'm interested in how Sakurai could incorporate his secondary weapons in his moveset. (That reminds me I had never entered the Ryu Hayabusa thread).

Predictions:

Shantae: 21.3%
Quote: 8.3%

Nominations:

Medusa (Kid Icarus) x5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Before I get to my rating, let me talk about today's sponsor, Raid: Shadow Legends also just say that I'm still not a fan of this big new schedule either. I'll still do the ratings, though.

New Dante Mode! & Dante
. . . wait.

Capcom characters in general have a decently strong chance of appearing, considering the sheer number of popular franchises that they own, and that the first Pass didn't feature any, despite the Mii costumes on them. However, they're still far from being any kind of guarantee, so that's why I'm keeping their scores in general sorta low. As for Dante, he's essentially the frontrunner as far as Capcom characters go, considering that Resident Evil is pretty much out of the picture due to their post-launch Spirit event.

Want: Abstain.
Never played a single DMC game. I could probably get some enjoyment out of the memes that his inclusion would spawn, but I don't really care either way.

I see Dragon One

Most of the things that I've said about Dante also apply to Phoenix Wright. But while Phoenix does have a stronger connection to Nintendo, considering that all the games in his series at least started on Nintendo handhelds, I don't think he quite has the widespread popularity that Dante has, which would hold I think holds him back a bit more.

Want: 80%
One of the very few third-party characters that I actually still want at this point. I'd prefer getting Amaterasu as a Capcom character, but I absolutely wouldn't mind Phoenix Wright.

Blue Boruto's Dad

Yadda yadda yadda, NES icon, strong rumors from last year about negotiations, popuarlity, good relations between Koei Tecmo and Nintendo, and so on, and so forth. I don't think I need to go into much more detail here - Ryu Hayabusa is one of the most frequently discussed potential DLC characters for a reason.

Want: 0%
Gonna break my general "don't know - abstain" rule here once again. I just really don't like the general aesthetic of this guy, and we already have Sheik and Greninja for the ninja archetype in Smash. I see no need for another.

Predicting Shantae to get around 23.53%
Predicting Quote to get around 9.44%.

Nominating Concept: A person of colour x10.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That Ultra Necrozma theme is a banger, why don't we have that in Ultimate?

Also, I find it pretty funny that both Doom and Skyrim have songs called One They Fear or something similar.

Min Min satisfaction
82.29%
Min Min has the highest satisfaction score out of all the first-party DLC characters (which... wasn't hard, given the competition). In case you want to compare, these are the DLC satisfaction ratings, in order:
Stage Builder 85.25%
Terry 84.39%
Mementos 83.54%
Banjo-Kazooie 83.09%
Min Min 82.29%
Joker 79.75%
Fighter Pass 75.18%
Hero 68.53%
Byleth 58.34%
Piranha Plant 56.60%

The Boss
3.57% Chance - 27.73% Want
Winner of predictions was Sari Sari by virtue of being the highest prediction, with 3.41%

Decidueye
2.22% Chance - 35.04% Want
Winner of predictions was Calamitas Calamitas with 2.35%

Doomguy
9.22% Chance - 47.36% Want
First time we rated him he got 10.89% chance and 37.78% want. This was in the pre-Joker days, where he hadn't been "leaked" and his sole boon was that Doom Eternal would be on the Switch. Second time we rated him he got 37.24% chance and 55.59% want. That was after Hero-Banjo, and while the Steve/Doomguy/Hayabusa had been proven fake by Banjo, it seems that it being another Microsoft character in lieu of Steve was enough to keep people confident in the leak. As for the huge rise in want, might have been the retro ports, or the tons of discussion he got making people fans of him. Last time we rated him he got 2.86% chance and 44.15% want. This was after Byleth, and more importantly after the damning interview. So what changed since then to make his chances higher? Honestly... not much. People just started ignoring the interview happened, which is an interesting way of approaching discussion.
Winner of predictions was waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi with 6.84%

Dragonborn
17.53% Chance - 52.15% Want
First time we rated them they got 15.96% chance and 38.47% want. Same circumstances as Doomguy's first, but Skyrim was still Bethesda's go-to example of Nintendo support. Crazy to think that at some point Dovahkiin was the top dog for Bethesda and not Doomguy. Second time we rated them they got 25.71% chance and 53.00% want. This was after Terry's reveal, but before the Metro interview, so I assume people just thought them likely when not rated in close proximity to Doomguy - or, alternatively, Terry definitely killed Doomabusa, so Dovahkiin was free to run with it. Last time we rated them they got 19.69% chance and 47.40% want. Lo and behold, they were rated together with Doomguy, and even though Doomguy got like 2%, that still apparently hurt Dovahkiin too. I guess when people are reminded that Doomguy won't get in, that makes them feel that Bethesda is less likely overall? I guess that happened this time too, with chance still slowly dropping, though the Vault Boy Mii Costume might also have had to do with that. Either way, want keeps rising.
Winner of predictions was DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire with 15.64%

And now, the extra noms list

Artix Artix 15
Awakining Awakining 5
Calamitas Calamitas 5
DaUsername DaUsername 92
Delzethin Delzethin 5
DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire 5
Lyncario Lyncario 5
NintenRob NintenRob 5
Nemuresu Nemuresu 10
Ninjaed Ninjaed 15
Perkilator Perkilator 5
Ridrool64 Ridrool64 5
Sari Sari 55
SKX31 SKX31 10
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 10
Troykv Troykv 15
waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi 5

SharkLord SharkLord I looked at your posts again and it turns out, I should have explained the rules to you. When you rate a character or concept, you need to give two sentences per score (so if you rate both chance and want, you need four sentences of reasoning, but if you only rate want you just need two, etc). If you don't reach that number, your nominations won't be counted. Scores are counted on an individual basis (so, if you give two sentences for your chance score but only one for want, your chance score will be counted but not your want score), but nominations are all or nothing (you need to reach the sentence number on all your scores). With double and triple days the same rules apply (so if you rate chance and want for two characters you need 8 sentences, if you rate three characters you'll need 12, etc). If you don't know about a character or don't feel like typing so much, you can just abstain. If you abstain, you're refraining from giving scores, but you can still give nominations and they will be counted. Predictions are counted no matter what. It's a lot to take in, so if you've any more doubts, feel free to ask!
Oh, okay. That makes sense. Let's try this again:

Dante from the Devil May Cry series™
Chance: 60%. He's really popular now, but remember that he only became one of the great pillars of speculation after Byleth. Nintendo won't put him in out of overwhelming popularity alone now, and even if he was popular back then, popularity doesn't determine everything-Just ask Joker and Terry. That being said, DMC's gotten a bit of a push on Nintendo as of late, and he was still fairly popular back then, so he still has a chance.
Want: 100%. To put it simply, Devil May Cry is one of the most pure forms of awesome in gaming. It defined over-the-top hack-and-slashers, and as such, Dante has quite a fair bit of potential for a fun, stylish addition, both in terms of moveset and personality. Besides, who wouldn't want to play Subhuman over an Isabelle vs. Pichu match?

Phoenix Wright
Chance: 60%. The other big name of Capcom, and the visual novel candidate. Ace Attorney is a popular and recognizable series, and I'd argue the general audience know it better than Devil May Cry. If it's not Dante as a Capcom rep, Phoenix wouldn't be too much of a stretch (And no, lack of moveset doesn't rule against him. Case in point: :ultvillager::ultpacman::ultisabelle:
Want: 70%. I don't know too much about Ace Attorney, but it looks absolutely hilarious, and Cornered~Pursuit is a wonderful song. It would also be absolutely hilarious to see a random lawyer beat up Galeem and Dharkon. Don't want him as much as Dante, but I wouldn't complain at all if we got him.

Ryu Hayabusa
Chance: 70%. He's an NES star and a frontrunner for Koei Tecmo, a prolific company who hasn't had a fighter in Smash. They've collaborated with Nintendo on the Warriors games and Three Houses, and I wouldn't put it past the Big N to give them a little reward for their cooperation.
Want: 70%. He seems pretty cool, and I wouldn't complain if we got him. Besides, now we can get an actual katana user for once (Why don't we have one yet?).

Nomination: Klonoa x5

Top Bottom