• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

D

Deleted member

POOTIS SANDVICH

Chance: 1%

TF2 is certainly 1 of Valve's biggest games. It has been around for over a decade and is still being played to this day. Unfortunately, I don't see Heavy being a potential character in Smash since there's no indication Valve has any interest on working with Nintendo. They've put a lot of their focus on Steam and their own games, especially with Counter-Strike and Dota, so even if Valve were to get a character, those 2 games, or rather Dota specifically, have a slightly higher chance than any TF2 character does. Of course, there are other characters like Gordon Freeman, Chell, the L4D cast, and even the rest of the TF2 cast who have as much, if not more, of a chance than Heavy.

Want: 11%

The Heavy doesn't exactly excite me all that much, and this is coming from someone that likes watching random SFMs. Most of it has to do with the thought that Smash Bros x Team Fortress looks too much like a dream for it to get behind seeing it actually happen. Of course, anything could still happen, but I'm not going to use that as a way to believe the Heavy has a solid enough chance of being in the Fighter Pass.
---------------------
Crono Predictions: 6%
---------------------
Noms:
Zhao Yun x5

Last edited by a moderator:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It costs 198 nominations to rate this character... for 2 days.

Chance: 2%

Pros:
  • TF2 was one of the biggest multiplayer games many years back and Valve is a really big company.
  • Valve is open to crossovers as seen with the TF2 cast being in the Steam version of Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed as well as other Steam games. Granted this is only for Steam games of course, though someone emailed Gabe Newell about Smash and he said he'd be open to adding a Valve character if Nintendo approached him (though I don't think that is likely for the reasons stated below).
Cons:
  • FPS' aren't popular in Japan and TF2 doesn't seem to be an exception to this. The best I could find with its popularity over there were some small Japanese community servers and that was it.
  • Valve also has little to no relation with Nintendo. AFAIK the only Valve related content on any Nintendo system is the Switch port of Bridge Constructor Portal and the Portal content in Lego Dimensions. Since neither Bridge Constructor or Lego Dimensions are made by Valve, that means there is not a single Valve title on any Nintendo system let alone any TF2 related Nintendo appearances.
  • Heavy has a ton of third-party competition and in terms of just Valve characters he'd have to compete with characters like Gordon Freeman and Chell. I feel if they were to choose a character to represent Valve as a whole they'd go for Gordon.

Want: 100%
Team Fortress 2 was the game that got me into PC gaming. I originally got the game on PS3 via the Orange Box after seeing a ton of Gmod videos many years back. Once the Steam version became F2P and I was able to get a decent computer, it became my most played game throughout high school. I recently got back into TF2 and it is still a blast even after nearly 2,000 hours of playing it.

Oh and you know how each Smash character since SSB4 has gotten their own unique trailer? I’d argue that TF2 started this trend (or at least popularized it) with their famous Meet the Team videos. Meet the Medic for example currently has over 56 million views.

This and Meet the Spy are without a doubt the best of these videos

As for Heavy himself, he is my most played character and without a doubt the best character to represent TF2. He's practically the face of TF2 and would be able to easily represent the game through his moveset. Only question is if they'll incorporate random crits into his moveset like they did with Hero...

Crono chance prediction: 2.71% (not likely with :ulthero: and having a ton of SE competition)

Nominations:
Terry Bogard x5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire You gave Dovahkiin 15 noms, which would have saved him from the purge. However I checked the list and you don't show up as having extra noms. Did I make a mistake somewhere?
Just missed saving him from the purge! D:

Looking back I might've misread your post regarding standard noms for the pre-purge Day. I thought it meant 10 extra noms instead of just 10 noms, so in actuality I was the one who made the mistake. So my apologies there!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Just missed saving him from the purge! D:

Looking back I might've misread your post regarding standard noms for the pre-purge Day. I thought it meant 10 extra noms instead of just 10 noms, so in actuality I was the one who made the mistake. So my apologies there!
Oh, that's a bummer, if I'd known about that I would have spared 5 more. Oh well, c'est la vie.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Double post (sorry!). Since we're starting weekly schedules and college is getting heated, I'll probably update these semi-regularly from now on (Wednesdays and Saturdays are my days off so probably then).

The Knight
9.09% Chance, 37.32% Want
Winner of predictions was Sari Sari with 9.35%
Last time we rated him he got 5.87% Chance and 41.67% Want. That I believe was before Silksong was announced to be coming exclusively to Switch, which might explain the rise in chance (alongside with Banjo opening the gates for Western characters I guess). As before, Hollow Knight continues to surprise me with how few people seem to be familiar with or care about it - I don't think that bodes well for this indie sensation's continued relevance. Silksong had better not flop.

Maxwell
3.73% Chance, 48.37% Want
Winner of predictions was Artix Artix with 3.61%
Last time we rated him he got 5.50% Chance and 63.5% Want. Things haven't really changed for him aside from time making him more irrelevant by the day. One thing of note is that MK11's release coupled with Western characters becoming fair game did spark some discussion about Mortal Kombat's chances (something that wasn't there before), so that might have also contributed. Opposite to Hollow Knight, Maxwell continues to surprise me with how many people still remember and love his games.

Extra noms people

Artix Artix 5
Awakining Awakining 5
DaUsername DaUsername 50
Delzethin Delzethin 5
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 10
Nemuresu Nemuresu 10
PapillonXtreme PapillonXtreme 10
Ridrool64 Ridrool64 5
Sari Sari 15
shocktarts17 shocktarts17 5
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 5
Ultomato Ultomato 5

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Heavy
It's not looking too good for him. Very little is suggesting him, and any popularity he has when it comes to Smash speculation appears to be very recent, so I doubtthe ballot would be any help. Still, he is a strong part of gaming history and despite many rivals over the years, TF2 is still alive and kicking.

Want: 70%
I don't play TF2 that much, but I think Heavy would be a good fit for Smash. He could easily have a unique playstyle, the style of TF2 would mesh very well with Smash, and he has a lot of character.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Abstaining from Chance rating.

Heavy

Want: 0%

Not a huge TF2 fan myself. Heavy, while somewhat a gaming icon, would not add much flair or personality to the game. Sure, the Heavy has a personality, as we all have quoted their gruff sentence fragments in the past. But if I could compare this phenomenon of a character with character not adding character to the game, it'd be like adding a 3D Barbarian from Clash of Clans as a fighter. Most people are aware of the Barbarian. They are the mascot of their series. They are icons, and people know how they act. But in the end, their literally a barbarian. In the end, it's literally a guy with heavy weapons. Neither game will bring many good music tracks, and the stages are likely to be exactly what you expect. (Like part of a map, or somebody's base or town hall in the Clash of Clans example.) The spirits would be other units from the game. While they would bring something new to the table, each is just a unit of a game. Barbarian is a unit on a mobile game, and Heavy has the advantage of being on console. But their circumstances are the same. Heavy is no doubt more likely than a mobile game character, but I cannot properly rate that either.

Even if we take Overwatch, a somewhat counterpart to TF2. Tracer is a character. Scout is not. It's just a standard scout with personality tropes. Same applies to Heavy. It is meant to be a standard, impressionable character, but with a visually distinct design so you can point to it as an outsider to the series and say "Look, that's the Heavy Weapons Guy." I just don't think that Heavy would be a good fit for the Smash roster based on these reflections, comparisons and contrasts.

Come at me with "but Piranha Plant!" because that addition makes sense post release. It's not just a stencil design for a gatling gun character. Heavy was designed to fit a mold. Piranha Plant was created with no mold in mind before hand, besides "stationary". That's all.

Nominations: 9-Volt x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Heavy

Not a huge TF2 fan myself. Heavy, while somewhat a gaming icon, would not add much flair or personality to the game. Sure, the Heavy has a personality, as we all have quoted their gruff sentence fragments in the past. But if I could compare this phenomenon of a character with character not adding character to the game, it'd be like adding a 3D Barbarian from Clash of Clans as a fighter. Most people are aware of the Barbarian. They are the mascot of their series. They are icons, and people know how they act. But in the end, their literally a barbarian. In the end, it's literally a guy with heavy weapons. Neither game will bring many good music tracks, and the stages are likely to be exactly what you expect. (Like part of a map, or somebody's base or town hall in the Clash of Clans example.) The spirits would be other units from the game. While they would bring something new to the table, each is just a unit of a game. Barbarian is a unit on a mobile game, and Heavy has the advantage of being on console. But their circumstances are the same. Heavy is no doubt more likely than a mobile game character, but I cannot properly rate that either.

Even if we take Overwatch, a somewhat counterpart to TF2. Tracer is a character. Scout is not. It's just a standard scout with personality tropes. Same applies to Heavy. It is meant to be a standard, impressionable character, but with a visually distinct design so you can point to it as an outsider to the series and say "Look, that's the Heavy Weapons Guy." I just don't think that Heavy would be a good fit for the Smash roster based on these reflections, comparisons and contrasts.

Come at me with "but Piranha Plant!" because that addition makes sense post release. It's not just a stencil design for a gatling gun character. Heavy was designed to fit a mold. Piranha Plant was created with no mold in mind before hand, besides "stationary". That's all.

I think it's really strange to compare a full-fledged character with personality and even some lore to a generic unit from a mobile game.

Saying Heavy is just an archetype is weird considering he has a very distinctive and creative design and a **** ton of personality. If the name Heavy bugs you, remember that, like most of the guys in TF2, Heavy has a canon name.

That's like saying Joker is basically the same as the girl from Candy Crush because Joker has no name, hardly talks, and fulfills the archetype of the 'Wild Card'.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Man, the amount of money you'd need to keep using Sasha for an hour would probably take every person who owns Smash Ultimate buying the Pass twice and then some. Let's hope that for his sake, he gets that money.

Chance: There's a bit of an issue here, and that's that the Heavy would be totally game-changing. As far as we know, it would be only a matter of time before it happens, and the game is super popular and legendary... but. Heavy has never shown up on Nintendo anything. Nothing related to TF2, hell, I'm not even sure Valve has ever touched a Nintendo console. That would mean working with a company that's never had anything on Nintendo, which from a financial perspective seems rather odd. It also means Heavy has... let's just say not that much fan desire. Albeit, he has a good amount, but the possibility of TF2 in Smash didn't click until way too late to affect base game at all, and I'm not even sure it's on time for DLC. I'm normally not of the mind company competition matters anymore, but when your abilities and game are not that distinct from Portal and Half-Life, which are legendary... yeah, Heavy has that problem. Even intra-game, he competes with Scout and to some extent the entire cast. And other FPS characters such as Doomguy and Tracer also provide increasing threats. Considering the effort needed to communicate with a western company, if we assume Microsoft isn't the only one, I'd count on Bethesda, Activision or even some indie studios before Valve.

With all this in mind, and with something of a Heavy (ba-dum-tiss) heart, I hereby rate the Heavy a 0% chance. As far as I can see, Heavy will not become a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, at least until further notice. Down the line, or if we ever get a director change, maybe. But I don't think it's his time at all.

Want: 50%. I'm not a TF2 super-fan, hell I wouldn't say I'm a fan as much as having the occasional passing interest that never really sticks, but I think the Heavy has some fun moveset ideas. However, the content that would surround the Heavy? Probably not going to be that interesting. I can't think of much I'd like to see from TF2 beyond the character.

Hero has a bunch of similarities to solo Crono, is from a company I can believe would only get one character, and doesn't have Lara Croft's legacy or Geno's fan demand. Crono will be lucky to break 1.74%. (Also, I think he'd be the worst possible Chrono Trigger character but reluctantly accept him as the leading candidate. But that's for tomorrow.) More Bosses x 5 if it survived, if it got cut Multiple Same-Company Reps x 15.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
YOU ARE DED. NOT BIG SURPRISE.

Chance: oof
I'm pretty sure that everything I could say about the Heavy Weapons Guy has already been said. TF2 has nothing to link it to Nintendo, TF2 isn't really popular in Japan, and generally speaking Heavy just doesn't have too much for a moveset (Rather, it's Soldier, Demoman and Pyro that're best suited for Smash, moveset-wise).

Want: 10%
Even amongst TF2 classes, Heavy would not be my first choice for a fighter in Smash, despite being the face of Team Fortress 2. He wouldn't even be my third choice. And there's also the fact that TF2 doesn't really hold any special meaning to me.

Noms: Reimu rerate x5

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
yatatatatata
Chance: 0%
Not only has TF2 never appeared on a Nintendo system, any franchise Valve owns also hasn't. The two companies have never interacted with eachother and I don't really see that changing considering the state of Valve at the moment. TF2 is also an FPS and thus likely lacks any Japanese presence, which I consider a nail in the coffin to western third-parties like the Heavy.

Want: 1%
I have never played TF2 but I am familiar with how it has engrained into internet culture. So yes, the Heavy is a fun guy booming with personality, that said... he has no place in Smash. Unlike pre-Switch FF7 or Persona, TF2 has absolutely zero things to do with Nintendo. Having him show up in this Nintendo&co crossover game just wouldn't feel right to me.

Crono: 6.48%
The Blob x5

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Heavy Weapons Guy
Chance: 15%
He has it better than most in his genre IMO. Very recognizable as a character, unique body frame with weapon combo, the potential in his design is definitely there, and Valve as a company is very easy to work with when they're not making the product.

Does a 15% chance mean he is going to make it in the game? Well no. I do not see it as a likely scenario, Nintendo doesn't really have much reason to approach Valve for a character from Team Fortress 2. They've apparently gone to Valve regarding bringing a Half-Life title to the Nintendo Switch (information via ValveNewsNetwork), so realistically I think Gordan Freeman might be someone they'd be more interested in.
That said, I do not doubt the Heavy could appear as a Mii Fighter costume if such a deal was made. The character is very popular, and Team Forteess 2 is arguably the godfather of team-based shooters. It's likely the godfather of video game-based economies anyways, it's a marvel if you really dive into figuring out how it works. That said, there is still a huge community that has ties with Team Fortress, even if a great large portion of it has since been inactive for some time. The game and character have touched a lot of lives, so it is not like people wouldn't bat an eye to such an inclusion.

-that said, the character and game have notoriety. So it is not like they are under the radar. I just feel there are options under the Valve name that would be more into Nintendo's interests if they were to look that way, which who to say they are after Valve kinda flopped making a HL title on the Switch? I also think more people out there would be interested in seeing new Half-Life content in any form. TF2 still sees some every year and a half these days.

I love this character, and I love his game. TF2 is filled with personality and charm, if you're arguing it's cast of characters are nothing more than stereotypes I guess you're only familiar through the incredibly vast community made Garry's Mod and Source Film Maker takes on them. Which isn't to say there isn't truth into the characters having stereotypes built into them, but games like Team Fortress, namely Overwatch as it is an easy comparison, do this so much more often and attempt to drown in it a lot lore that really seems to exist solely to exist. Team Fortress 2 is a simple game contextually, yeah, but it is such an immense joy to play. Something I feel Overwatch falls very short at doing in it's effort to be easily accessible.

I think the Heavy could be a very interesting heavyweight fighter, having access to long range disjointed attacks through his minigun and attempting to "minigun-kata" on top of his normal punches. Attempting to design a whole "Team Fortress" character would be interesting too. I've seen a couple concepts about being able to summon an NPC Engineer that can setup buildings or a Spy that can be summoned to backstab. Trying to design a fighter based on defending your teammates could be intriguing, but I doubt could be very complex because of the eight player smash mode. Regardless, I think there's potential in a moveset from him. And Team Fortress offers an array of great possibilities for stages and music, I think the franchise would fit very well into Smash Bros.

-----
No interest in nominating, just felt like talking Heavy.

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Heavy

Chance: 0%
Team Fortress 2 is pretty dang popular back in the day and it's still popular to this very day, despite being heavily dwarfed by other games like Fortnite, Overwatch and Apex Legends. That being said, TF2 never appeared in a Nintendo console so this makes Heavy highly unlikely to get in Smash. Even Joker and Cloud had at least one game released in a Nintendo console and those were just spin-offs of their main game and yet here they are in Smash. Heavy, on the other hand, while he does make appearance in other games (like Poker Night in Inventory), none of them have been released on Nintendo consoles. All in all, TF2 may be popular, but unless Valve announced some kind of Switch port (which is highly unlikely considering what happened to the PS3 and XBox 360 versions of TF2), Heavy is highly unlikely to get in.

Want: 80%
I have played TF2 ever since the Tough Break update and I'm kinda loving the game. It's very fun to play, even though some of the servers that I got in are mostly tryhards. Heavy is the perfect candidate to represent the franchise since he's the most iconic character in the game (he even appeared in the front cover and some promotional materials for TF2) and I could see him using a variety of weapons that he has in-game for his moveset.

Prediction:
Crono - 1.85%

Nomination:
Jin Kazama x5

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Heavy

Chance: 5%
Want: 5%

Apart from that rumour of Nintendo courting Valve to make an RTS for the Switch (I mean wut?!), Valve and Nintendo have almost no proven history. If Valve had decided to port Portal or Half-Life to a previous Nintendo console then maybe I'd look at this differently, but they haven't and I can't imagine Nintendo is desperate for one of the "generic" (not my actual opinion) playable classes from a game that released 12 years ago, especially when Fortnite and Overwatch have become the new hotness, AND Valve has access to one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time. For this to happen the heavens would really have to align, and I doubt that they have.

I played every game on the Orange Box to death, except for TF2. I think Valve make wonderful games, but there was something about TF2 that held me at arms length. I loved Left 4 Dead. Portal 2 is one of my favourite games ever. Half-Life is obviously Half-Life. But with TF2, I was happy to watch those completely charismatic introducing trailers and leave my experience there. Plus I would much rather Chell or Gordon if Valve made it in the game. Plus with Tracer offering far more exciting gameplay prospects (and interest being revived today with Overwatched coming to Switch) and Doom Slayer being the grandfather of the modern FPS, there's more interesting potentials from this genre.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm gonna abstain on Heavy. I don't know enough about TF2 to make a concrete statement, nor the relationship between Valve and Nintendo (assuming there is one). Though I would like to see the reactions of the internet should he get in.

Nominations: Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x5

SKX31

Smash Master
POOTIS SANDVICH

TF2 is certainly 1 of Valve's biggest games. It has been around for over a decade and is still being played to this day. Unfortunately, I don't see Heavy being a potential character in Smash since there's no indication Valve has any interest on working with Nintendo. They've put a lot of their focus on Steam and their own games, especially with Counter-Strike and Dota, so even if Valve were to get a character, those 2 games, or rather Dota specifically, have a slightly higher chance than any TF2 character does. Of course, there are other characters like Gordon Freeman, Chell, the L4D cast, and even the rest of the TF2 cast who have as much, if not more, of a chance than Heavy.
Heavy:

Chance: 5 %

Going to answer as a start of my own rating, but there's a major reason why I rated Heavy as Valve's second option behind Gordon and ahead of Chell / Dota 2 / L4D. Counter-Strike didn't even figure in my ranking because, well, I forgot. But even now, I'd put CS:GO as dead last simply because there's a massive "Villager" problem with CS:GO. Counter-Strike was never designed with characters in mind - it was simply multiplayer from the very start and many of the weapons CS has only show their differences subtly a lot of the time. Counter-Strike's weapons look very alike to a newbie. Similarily most Dota 2 heroes only have 4 abilities to build a moveset on (meaning one might have to incorporate Dota's items - the itembuilds can radically change with each patch) and Chell suffers from the same problem of having a Portal Gun and then, uhm, the Companion Cube? Gravity is a difficult gimmick to build around in Smash.

TF2 however? Heavy and the other TF2 characters have way more obvious utility. Regardless of patches. He doesn't even need to rely on his signature Minigun - Sandviches, Shotguns and Fists and other items helps Heavy a lot. Also, the more obviously cartoonish style helps people imagine him in Smash. So I'm not surprised to see Heavy's fandom here.

That said, the lack of a Nintendo connection really, really hurts him. TF2's also lived most of its life, and it would be up to Valve to ressurect TF. Considering Valve's priorities lie with Dota, CS:GO and Steam at the moment I strongly doubt Team Fortress' return until Gabe and co. decides it's time to reallocate staff. Also, Valve operates under its own schedule and rules. We have no confirmed clues whether Nintendo and Valve talked about any Half Life Tactics. Or any other game, be it Orange Box or something completely out of the blue for Smashers like a Dota Underlords port.

Want: 45 %

Never played TF2, but have had a lot of exposure to it. I'll give Heavy style points for what he does and what his character is. Otherwise I'm rather neutral on the character - but would not mind his inclusion at all.

Noms: Jin Kazama x5

Last edited:

P47

Smash Apprentice
Mr. Weapons

I just can't see it happening. TF2's peak was years ago and if there was going to be a Valve rep Gordon Freeman would probably be the most likely one. Also there's no way TF2 on Switch is happening with the size of the dev team nowadays and how much it gets neglected within Valve (but I'd love to be wrong)

Want: 99%

TF2 is one of my favorite games ever. While Pyro is my favorite class, seeing any TF2 character in Smash would be surreal

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Heavy Weapons Guy

Chance - 0.25% - Unless we have a Joker and have a game on the way that we don't know about, I don't think any Valve content is coming to the Switch. TF2 was a landmark game, sure, but until we have a game on a Nintendo console I don't think it will happen.

Want - 40% - I have no strong feelings about TF2. In my eyes, there are better characters to reach for when it comes to third parties.

Predictions

Chrono - 0.23% - The Hero says hi.

Nominations

Jack (Harvest Moon) x5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Insert Team Fortress 2 Joke Here

I mean, never say never and all that. But really. . . other people have already put it quite well. The game and character might be well-known and iconic, but Valve has essentially no ties to Nintendo, and as far as I know, no real presence in Japan. Maybe if there was some kind of "Western Smash Bros." game that wasn't made by Nintendo, I could see him being in that. But Smash? Nah.

Want: 30%
I've never played TF2 in my entire life, but I enjoy the memes and funny YouTube videos as much as the next person. In terms of looks and what I know of the gameplay, he sounds like he could be a fun character. I could envision him having something like this charge thing he gets from the horrible German stereotype Medic as a Final Smash, even. But at the end of the day, the Heavy is still very, very low on my list of characters that I'd like to see in Smash.

Predicting Chrono to be around 1.2%.

Nominating Amaterasu x5 (I wonder if I'll eventually get her high enough to be picked up?)

BowserKing

Smash Lord
The next 2 are a very late entry

Hollow Knight

Chance: 20%. He has some potential, but competition is the main concern. That does not mean that that character wont make it in.

Want: 50%. Is very unique in design and has potential. He would be a fun character to play as well.

Maxwell

Chance: 15%. The main problem is that he is partly owned by Warner Bros, but I think they can make agreements. Also if Maxwell makes it in, certain things like Black Holes and Asteroid wont be allowed, due to how OP they would be.

Want: 90%. As a Scribblenauts fan, I would totally play as Maxwell. I even made a moveset of him (and Doppelganger as an echo-fighter) in the making moveset page (it's now in the archives). He has a lot of potential.

Heavy

Chance: 15%. Came from a very popular game and is very popular. Competition would be the main concern, but there is a chance.

Want: 50%. He would be a fun character to play as, with all sorts of deadly moves. If he got in, the fandom would defiantly explode.

Noms: 2 for Black Shadow and 3 for King Boo

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I am Heavy Weapons Guy. And this... is my chances.

Chances: 0%

I don’t think Gabe Newell emailing a fan about the Heavy in Smash helps him in any way...

One of my favorite games and would totally main him.

Nominate: Asha (Monster World IV)

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Heavy Dude

Chance: 4%

Team Fortress 2 is quite popular and iconic, but to my knowledge there has not been a single Valve game on a Nintendo console and Valve doesn't seem interested in working with Nintendo and vice-versa. Plus fps games aren't that popular in Japan and he is competing with characters in his own game and other fps games (Doom Slayer for example, who has a high chance but lets not go off-topic). I could see maybe Valve games coming to the Switch as a surprise but right now that is a stretch. I don't see any Valve characters happening, let alone The Heavy.

Want: 48%

Having a Team Fortress 2 character would be cool and the stage would be neat, but there are just so many other third-party characters that I want instead.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Heavy Weapons Guy

As much as I would love it, I don't see it happening. Valve is a pretty major competitor, with pretty much no ties to Nintendo at all. Most Valve games are on PC, and sometimes they also get put on Xbox or Playstation. Not even Portal, arguably the biggest Valve game they've made, has been on Nintendo consoles to my knowledge. Then there's the issue of popularity in Japan, or rather, unpopularity in Japan. This is why I don't think any Valve reps will be in Smash anytime soon.

Heavy specifically? He's the most likely candidate from TF2, in my eyes, other than maybe Scout. Heavy is undoubtedly the mascot of the game, and while I personally would prefer some of the other classes for their more interesting mechanics, Heavy is the way to go for sure. That said, in the remote chance we did get a Valve rep, would it really be from TF2? I don't think so. I think a much better choice would be Chell from Portal, from a purely objective standpoint.

All in all... Not going to happen.

Want: 35%
I love TF2. It's the best hat-wearing simulator game of all time. Any excuse to hear a single one of the absolutely hilarious voice lines from the game in Smash is fine by me. That said, do I want Heavy specifically? Not particularly. I would much rather have Engineer, Soldier, Demoman, Spy, or even Scout, purely because they would be more interesting in Smash for me. Not to mention, Heavy is, in my opinion, the least funny character in TF2 as far as voicelines go. Sure, he's got some classic lines, and I would be lying if I said I'd never laughed at a good old POOTIS POW- but every other character is just so much better to me.

Would I be hype as hell if ANY TF2 character got in Smash? You can bet your ass I would. Would I be MORE happy if we got any of the other mercs? Yes, definitely. Especially if they have taunt kills.

Chrono Predictions:
Chance- 11%
Want- 45%

Noms: [Concept] Any grass-type starter x5
Grookey died in the purge so I'm gonna try to get this going instead. Decidueye is already on the list, but I want to see how many people want/expect a grass type starter in general, regardless of which one it is.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
This hat is pretty heavy...

Gotta agree with the majority here. With nothing to it's name on a Nintendo console, and the fact that Japan has never been big on FPS games, Heavy doesn't really stand out all that much. Though TF2 has proven lasting power at least, being remembered even today. Be that as it may, it's not likely to see Heavy show up, especially when what we have so far are quite... heavy hitters. :laugh:

Want: 50%
I'll be honest, I've never played TF2, and I'm not the biggest FPS fan myself. That said, Heavy is brimming with personality, and if there's one thing I like about the TF2 characters, is that they aren't faceless soldiers, and have distinct personalities to set them apart from their comrades. I wouldn't be against Heavy, but I also can't say I'm actively rooting for him.

Prediction: Crono/Chrono
Hero really pulled the trigger on this guy, eh? I'm gonna say... 8.2%

Noms: Captain Rainbow x5

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
HEAVY IS PRETTIEST PRINCESS!

Want: 95%

While TF2 is very popular for an 11 year old game, it has no presence on Nintendo consoles, which hurts Heavy's chances quite a lot. Valve itself has never really been involved with Nintendo as a whole. Also, FPS games, and especially TF2, aren't very popular in Japan. The amount of competition from other companies is making him very unlikely as well.

Heavy Weapons Guy would probably be the funniest character they could add to Smash Bros. His personality is hilarious, and he has many, MANY memorable voice lines. These are some of my favorites:
"POOTIS SPENCER HERE!"
"YOU ARE DEAD, NOT BIG SURPRISE!"
"IT'S COWARD KILLING TIME!"
"GO AHEAD AND CRY, BABY!"
"DO I SMELL SOILED BABY DIAPER!?"
"WAAAH! WAAAAAAAAAAH!"
"I AM BULLETPROOF!"
"I AM PRETTIEST PRINCESS!"
If he happens, I hope these voice lines happen at random, during, and after the battle ends, depending on the character. He also has some interesting moveset potential, and his final smash can call in the Medic to give him an Ubercharge.

Though I'm not the music man here, I felt like adding this cool remix of the TF2 theme, made for Smash Bros.

Crono: 2.84% (Hero happened. Sorry Crono.)

Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
(I have no idea what to nominate lmao)

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, this'll be fun.

Chance: 10%
as much as I love this character and the idea of him being in smash, I really have to say the odds are stacked against him. He just doesn't have much of anything in terms of relation to Nintendo, even if Sakurai said that doesn't matter, I feel it probably still does at least a LITTLE bit, especially when Nintendo themselves are the ones that are picking the characters for Sakurai to choose from. That being said, I suppose it isn't impossible for him to get in, as TF2 is an insanely popular game with some of the greatest and most memorable characters of all time, as well as being from a generation defining game.

I absolutely ADORE Team Fortress 2. It's an amazing game that gets EVERYTHING right, including (especially, even) its characters. The Heavy seems to be the unofficial mascot of the game, so it would seem that he would be the one to choose. While the Spy is my favorite character in the game purely by a gameplay standpoint, I absolutely adore every single one of the characters in that game.

The Heavy would bring SO MUCH to Smash. A new genre of games represented, a fun stage, boat loads of amazing music and a character brimming with life and moveset potential. Hell, I've made TWO movesets for him (and some others) to demonstrate this:

Heavy Moveset.jpeg

and

Red Team Moveset.jpeg

The idea of an FPS character in smash is an amazing idea and something not to many seem to truly realize the potential of, giving us a character that could be a TRUE gunner, both in terms of character and playstyle, similar to Mega Man, in that their jab and some tilts could be used to fire their gun as their main means of attack, instead of tucking it away to a single Standard Special move.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman

Heavy

I sincerely hope this post is bait...

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
Heavy
Chance 5%:team fortees 2 is a well received game and heavy is seen as one of the mascots for Valve
However There are 3 Problem to this.
1:he hasn't appeared on a Nintendo system
2:Team Fortress isn't popular in japan
and 3:Heavy has competition with other fps characters like Doomslayer and Valve's first mascot Gordon Freeman,
making him unlikely.
Want 60%:Heavy would be a fun pick, he would fit well in the smash universe and would have a nice variety of attacks like machine gun/shotgun/sandvich and a few others.
Predictions:Chrono 3.60%
Nominations:Amaterasu X5

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
"Some people think they can outsmart me. Maybe...maybe. I have yet to meet one that can outsmart Sakurai."

Chance: 20%
In a post-Joker world, people on the internet learned to not let their memes be dreams. Naturally, they gravitated towards a familiar face, one who'd never entered the Smash speculation scene for lack of a prayer - until now.

True, no Valve game has ever graced a Nintendo platform (the closest we've got is a Portal-themed sequel of Bridge Constructor.) Then again, I wouldn't have ever expected Nintendo to approach Valve with the prospect of developing a Half Life game for the Switch either - if nothing else, it shows that Nintendo recognizes Valve and its properties. And if Valve can make it into the shortlist alone, then I don't think Sakurai would glance over any candidate from them that he saw.

Still, it's a Western shooter, which means one it'd have to compete with Doom, Halo and Overwatch for the honor of being first rep for the genre. Not only that, but the Heavy himself is more limited in his range of movements than the average assault rifle-wielding Joe - even in the context of the game, the minigun is a slow and unwieldy weapon with only one real use to it. It's very far from ideal as a fighting game character concept, and yet completely integral to Heavy as a character. There's a reason people segue the idea of a TF2 rep to the less iconic members like, Scout, Pyro, or Demoman.

Team Fortress 2 is more than ten years old, and still has an active playerbase in the tens of thousands. Imagine how many other games can claim the same, given how rarely it gets updated anymore.

Want: 60%
Team Fortress 2 is a very unique and recognizable kind of shooter, a little like what Persona 5 is to JRPGs. There's tons of people who love it even if they don't play it, and there's probably no other Western company who deserves recognition more than Valve does (well, assuming you have any investment in PC gaming). Sure, it seems impossible to expect it, let alone to hope for it...and yet, what are Smash speculation dreams made of, if not unreasonable expectations that the best will happen?

Still, it's far more respectful to recognize the grandfather of shooters before all else. The debate of who can appear afterwards ought to wait until that happens.

Nominations
Kratos x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Man, I need to stop procrastinating.
Heavy Weapons Guy
Chance: 0.1%
Not only has TF2 never been on a Nintendo platform, neither has any other game Valve has ever released. Valve's Nintendo debut being in Smash Bros. just doesn't make sense to me.
Want: 60%
Him getting in would be really cool, though. Sucks that it's never gonna happen.

Crono prediction: 4%
Noms: Another western character x5

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Heavy Weapons Guy
Let's be honest here: TF ticks nearly every possible box when it comes to (ugh) "earning" its place into Smash. However... while Nintendo and Valve do have some intersection in terms of common interests... Heavy faces, well, heavy competition from other Valve franchises (I'd say Half-Life and Dota 2 are pretty big contenders).

And even then, there are other western companies, all with their respective big hitters (like Ubisoft, Bethesda and particularly Activision). Past that, even, there are the big japanese companies, which could maintain contact with Sakurai and his team in a more frequent basis - not to mention easier negotiations. Tecmo, Namco, Capcom, Level-5, SNK...

No matter how I look at it... the chances for Heavy seem just too small. Plus, as others have said, TF2 is a shooting game, meaning even in its own genre, there are other options for Sakurai to pick.

Want: Abstain - though I will say that Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed (of all things) has me sold on the idea of several TF characters as a single "Team Fortress" fighter. No idea how that would look tho.

Predictions
Crono: 2,36%

Nominations
Kyo Kusanagi x 5

Also, a little bonus:

Team Fortress 2 is a very unique and recognizable kind of shooter, a little like what Persona 5 is to JRPGs.
I'm just going to leave this here...

I know you said P5, but the opportunity to meme was just too good to pass up.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Heavy Rain

Not impossible.
Hell, Heavy even makes a bit of sense. If we have Joker representing Sony and Banjo representing Microsoft that leaves PC gaming representation of which Valve is arguably the Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft of due to their game platform Steam. Yes, I'm aware Microsoft has a strong connection to PCs too, but Steam is a hell of a lot more successful than Games for Windows and is more associated with the PC gaming side of things.

Heavy also has a HUGE presence online on Youtube and pop culture thanks to Source Film Maker and the success of the Meet the Videos which I'm still somewhat convinced inspired Sakurai to make individual trailers for characters in the first place.

Unlike many other choices Heavy's game has managed to remain relevant for over a decade without any sequels despite many copycats trying to compete with him. This is an incredibly rare feat with even Overwatch not quite toppling TF2 into obscurity.

All is not well though for Heavy as despite being the very face of Team Fortress 2, one of Valve's longest running success stories, he has to face fellow Valve faces Gordon Freeman of Half Life fame and Chell from Portal, both of whom's games are hugely critically acclaimed with Freeman being named by many as one of the most iconic first person shooter characters of all time and is easily one of the biggest western third party characters ever.

There's also the fact that Valve haven't ever really worked that closely with Nintendo and first person shooters not being that big in Japan...however First Person Shooters are easily one of the biggest genres amongst the rest of the world and if Doomguy is considered far too violent, Heavy with his more...cartoony gore is a better bet. Not least because even in game there's an anti gore mode in Pyrovision.

Definitely not impossible and I'd put Heavy as one of the more likely Valve offerings for sure, with only Freeman as his competition.

Lastly with Overwatch being announced for Switch it's hard not to think Tracer may get chosen as a first person shooter character over her fellow class based shooter rival Heavy, but it's not like Heavy would play anything like her anyway.

You know, if we have to have nothing but third parties in the pass, give me a character I adore from a game I play far far FAR more than Super Smash Bros. Heavy is amusing, he can fill a nice niche as a heavyweight with a rapid projectile attack and he's excessively quotable.

He's probably my least favourite class to play as normally, but I can't deny I'd be picking him in Smash far more than any other third party option should he get in, and more than any first party potential newcomer not named Toad.

Team Fortress brings forth a whole heap of great music, spirits, assist trophy possibilities and a 2fort stage and...that's actually the first time I've cared about those extra things. POOT HEAVY IN.

Nominations:
Lara Croft X 5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Just as a heads up I will be extending the day till the morning since I need to pack for moving, only like 8 hours.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’d like to rate Heavy, but I don’t really know what to say other than I think he’s funny and would like to see him in, even if I don’t really care much either way.

I have played TF2 before, but not much. Might try it again sometime.

Last edited:

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
Heavy
I love TF2 and smash and you know what seeing them merge would be amazing.
Chance of getting in: 10%
I basically expressed all my thoughts in the support thread but basically, Heavy is iconic of team based FPS games. He fits the art style, and would be a fun ranged heavyweight with a unique move-set. TF2 was one major factor in boosting PC gaming and having a character from it just makes sense to me, but I understand he isn’t on a Nintendo console or nothin’ so... that hurts his chances.

TLDR: Heavy should be in smash because of he really just fits with the cast, and would be fun to play.

Heavy Weapons Guy
Chance: 15%
He has it better than most in his genre IMO. Very recognizable as a character, unique body frame with weapon combo, the potential in his design is definitely there, and Valve as a company is very easy to work with when they're not making the product.

Does a 15% chance mean he is going to make it in the game? Well no. I do not see it as a likely scenario, Nintendo doesn't really have much reason to approach Valve for a character from Team Fortress 2. They've apparently gone to Valve regarding bringing a Half-Life title to the Nintendo Switch (information via ValveNewsNetwork), so realistically I think Gordan Freeman might be someone they'd be more interested in.
That said, I do not doubt the Heavy could appear as a Mii Fighter costume if such a deal was made. The character is very popular, and Team Forteess 2 is arguably the godfather of team-based shooters. It's likely the godfather of video game-based economies anyways, it's a marvel if you really dive into figuring out how it works. That said, there is still a huge community that has ties with Team Fortress, even if a great large portion of it has since been inactive for some time. The game and character have touched a lot of lives, so it is not like people wouldn't bat an eye to such an inclusion.

-that said, the character and game have notoriety. So it is not like they are under the radar. I just feel there are options under the Valve name that would be more into Nintendo's interests if they were to look that way, which who to say they are after Valve kinda flopped making a HL title on the Switch? I also think more people out there would be interested in seeing new Half-Life content in any form. TF2 still sees some every year and a half these days.

I love this character, and I love his game. TF2 is filled with personality and charm, if you're arguing it's cast of characters are nothing more than stereotypes I guess you're only familiar through the incredibly vast community made Garry's Mod and Source Film Maker takes on them. Which isn't to say there isn't truth into the characters having stereotypes built into them, but games like Team Fortress, namely Overwatch as it is an easy comparison, do this so much more often and attempt to drown in it a lot lore that really seems to exist solely to exist. Team Fortress 2 is a simple game contextually, yeah, but it is such an immense joy to play. Something I feel Overwatch falls very short at doing in it's effort to be easily accessible.

I think the Heavy could be a very interesting heavyweight fighter, having access to long range disjointed attacks through his minigun and attempting to "minigun-kata" on top of his normal punches. Attempting to design a whole "Team Fortress" character would be interesting too. I've seen a couple concepts about being able to summon an NPC Engineer that can setup buildings or a Spy that can be summoned to backstab. Trying to design a fighter based on defending your teammates could be intriguing, but I doubt could be very complex because of the eight player smash mode. Regardless, I think there's potential in a moveset from him. And Team Fortress offers an array of great possibilities for stages and music, I think the franchise would fit very well into Smash Bros.

-----
No interest in nominating, just felt like talking Heavy.
THIS IS GOOD DAY

Oh yes I’m nomming Heavy.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
"I am Heavy Weapons Guy, and THIS... is my weapon."

I really love Team Fortress 2, and I really like the Heavy. I think the Heavy is pretty much the mascot of TF2, he has appeared the most in crossover games, so him getting in Smash would fit just perfectly, especially with the cartoony art style TF2 got. I also think he's the most iconic character from that game. I really don't understand why people think characters like the Spy or Scout deserve it more then the Heavy. Sure, they're also important characters, but the Heavy is just much more iconic and deserving of a spot in Smash, it would be like adding Luigi before Mario in Smash.

As much as I want him in Smash, I really don't he has a big chance, at all. As of now, we only have 1 Valve game, and that game is just a spin-off of the Portal series. Team Fortress 2 has ZERO representation on Nintendo consoles, which I think is really important for a spot in Smash. Ofcourse, we could still get TF2 on a Nintendo console, but that doesn't mean the Heavy will get a spot reserved to him.

I'm also really disappointed in Valve for not updating this game a lot anymore, and whenever we get an update, they're either just medals or a couple of hats from the workshop. Valve used to care about this game a lot, but now, Team Fortress 2 is getting ignored a lot. I guess I could say that a Switch port is impossible then because of this. I just hope one day, that Valve will surprise us all, by releasing more updates, like the long promised Heavy update, porting TF2 to the Switch and other modern consoles, and somehow getting Heavy into Smash, wether it's Ultimate or a future smash title.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Heavy

1% Chance

Yeah, I am gonna be realistic here.

Valve is a massive company, there is no denying that. However, Heavy just suffers from so much competition. First up, lets just say I feel Heavy would not be a priority in terms of Western Reps. I do not feel like listing every single likely Western character, but just know Heavy is not a frontrunner in this. I also want to note I feel Heavy, while a choice that has popularity on the internet, suffers from his support being, well, relatively recent. He was not super popular in Smash 4 and is only a semi popular choice now. Even with Valve characters, I feel he has strong competition with Gordon Freeman.

I honestly think if we got any Valve Content, the most likely thing would be a Portal Stage with a GlaDOS boss. Which hey if LEGO got her I guess Smash could too.

100% Want

God I would love this.

I have sunk thousands of hours into TF2. Thousands. Many of my greatest gaming memories are in TF2. Hanging out on trade servers, dump pl_upward shenanigans, ctf_doublecross shenanigans, the list goes on. I would love a moveset based around rallying the team to your cause. You know, since its TEAM FORTRESS 2. Soldier's rocket jump as a recovery. Pyro airblast and flamethrower. Demo stickies. And a Medic Ubercharge final smash to boot.

Protoman x 5

Day over. Today we have Chrono, from the RPG classic Chrono Trigger. Tomorrow we have Cadance, from Crypt of the Necrodancer. Rate Chrono and predict Cadance.
Oh yes I’m nomming Heavy.
After a character is rated, there is a two week moratorium on nominating them. Also please do not triple post in the future and edit your posts instead.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Best JRPG
Chance:1%: I don't think we are getting Crono. Unlike Geno, who can happen with another Square character, Crono can't. Hero kills him in a way he kills all but Geno's chances.
Want:100%: I love Chrono Trigger. The game is extremely well written and fun. It's an amazing game. It deserves to be in Smash.
Nominations: Specter Knight x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Chrono Trigger Music

Here are some songs to get into the Chrono Trigger mood:

I'll post my ratings later.

ze9

Smash Ace
Crono
Square already got one (or four?) Toriyama-designed character in this Fighter Pass, I really can't see another one getting in. Also I think the next Square rep would be Geno, since he is far more requested.
+1% because Sakurai seems to like Chrono Trigger.
Want: 95%
Yes, please. I love Chrono Trigger. I could see him getting a moveset where he summons Frog, Robo, Marle and the others and his special moves (techs) change depending on who's with him. The stage would alternate between the different timelines, middle age, future, prehistory and culminate in Zeal + day of Lavos. Or it could simply be Zeal. The only bad thing is that at this point it's pretty much confirmed that we wouldn't get more than 2 songs, and no remixes... But as long as one of them is Corridors of Time, I'm on board.
Come on, Sakurai...

Last edited:
Top Bottom