• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Travis Touchdown

Chance: Abstain -> 25%
I'm not going to pretend it's impossible. Maybe Nintendo likes the fact that No More Heroes deliberately chose the Wii as its birthplace, and that there's an upcoming game featuring this character. Maybe Sakurai likes Travis' moves enough to pick him from the list. There isn't exactly enough to keep Travis solidly outside of possibility, especially when Suda51 stays in close contact with Nintendo and vouches for Travis' inclusion.

Want: Abstain -> Abstain
That said, Travis just isn't getting onto my wishlist anytime soon. We've already got one modern action game protagonist with adult sensibilities, and she does cover a bigger sphere of influence than Travis does. Still, it'd be a wider bit more coverage than simply electing in-house Nintendo advertisements would provide.

Prediction:
Dovahkiin: 6%

Nominations
Andy x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Travis Touchdown (with Henry Cooldown as an Echo because **** it I get to dream sometimes)

I actually think his chances are not too shabby. His games are mature, but no more than Bayonetta, and if Bayo gets to flaunt her stuff in the Battlefield, I think it’s fair that Travis gets to... erm... stroke his blade. Like Disney content for Sora, mature content is something that could be tastefully toned down and Sakurai has shown he can find that middle ground.

No More Heroes is a Nintendo franchise through and through, though Travis never became an icon to the degree that guys like Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton did.

Finally, Travis Strikes Again is coming, it’s Switch-exclusive, it’s heavily aligned with Nintendo advertising-wise, and it releases in mid-January. What I’m saying is I wouldn’t be surprised if Travis was our first or second DLC character.

As for want, I do have to dock some points objectively because he’s not an icon. He’s probably around Bayonetta-level when she was included (though she’s definitely a big name now, and I’d argue she’s pretty close to at least Dante-level icon). Back to Travis, his games are just really fun. Super harsh too, this wasn’t your casual Wii game. I very much enjoy the criticism of otaku and nerd culture throughout, and while that’s not something that can or would be conveyed through Smash, at least a glimpse might be good enough.

Or people will just believe the stereotype. It happened with Doom, it can happen with NMH, I guess.

Oh yeah, number. Uhh 85% want

Nominations: Mach RiderX5

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Travis Touchdown

Chance-5%
I know almost nothing about this character, but from what I hear, it's another Rated M hack and slash game. I dunno, it did get its start on the Wii so... Maybe?

Want-0%
I don't know or really care about Travis. Cool sword tho

Nominations: Spyro 5x

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Travis Touchdown

Chance: 25%
I gotta admit, Travis might actually have a chance to become a playable fighter in Smash through DLC. Suda51 even wants Travis in Smash and he also has an upcoming game, so he could be good as a promotional character. However, he's not as iconic as Sonic, Mega Man or even Cloud and Ryu. Being a M rated character also hurts, but they can easily tone it down without damaging it's presentation unlike Doomguy. Still, Travis has a good chance of making it in Smash...if it wasn't for the fact that Nintendo themselves chose the fighters for DLC. If Sakurai was the one choosing the fighters, then Travis is most likely, but with Nintendo...not so much, but it could still happen.

Want: Abstain
I really don't know much about Travis or any of his games since I haven't played any of them.

Dovahkiin Prediction: 7.82%

Nominations:
Nero Claudius (Fate) x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Travis
Chance: 5%
Again, I don't see Nintendo themselfs going for vulgar characters like Travis, especially those who aren't icons or don't have huge fan demand, like him. The NmH producer (forgot his name) has talked numerous times about Travis in Smash before with Sakurai, but with Nintendo choosing the DLC that won't matter. Also he apparently imagined Travis using alot of wresling moves? We already got :ultincineroar: for that.

Dovakhin: 17.38%

CGI DLC trailers x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It’s been a while, huh? Missed me?

Over 200

Arle Nadja x225

200 - 151

150 - 101

Rhythm Girl x150
Concept: All DLC will be third-party x140
Nero Claudius (Fate) x110
Kat & Ana x105
Grovyle x105
Concept: CGI trailers for newcomers (barring Piranha Plant) x105

100 - 51

Concept: More DLC x100
Concept: Gen 8 Pokemon x95
Mach Rider x95
Concept: Stages outside Fighter Pass x90
Concept: No fan favorite/highly requested characters x90
Reaper (Overwatch) x90
Boss: Kracko x85
Professor Hector x84
Concept: Third-party character from unrepped Company x80
Impa x70
Lora (Xenoblade) x65
Reimu Hakurei x65
Hollow Knight x52

50 - 25

Andy (Advance Wars) x40
Porky Minch x40
Papyrus x35
Concept: Boss Rush x35
9-Volt x34
Concept: Assist Trophy becomes Fighter x30
Creeper x29
Concept: All DLC will be first-party x25
Thrall (Warcraft) x25
Sephiroth x25

Under 25

Boss: Perfect Chaos x20
Ninten x20
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Pyra & Mythra (sans Rex) x15
Frisk x10
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x10
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei rep x10
Decidueye x10
Concept: Bethesda rep x10
Concept: SNK rep x10
Ravio x10
Blacephalon x5
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x5
Amaterasu x5
Monokuma x5
Concept: Another joke character x5
Neptune x5
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x5
Lizalfos x4
Toon Zelda x3
Urbosa x1
[Rerate] Steve? x1

Grovyle and CGI trailers cut through 100 noms.

Hollow Knight passes 50 noms.

Sephiroth wings it past 25 noms.

We have a new concept: SNK rep, bursting into the scene with 10 nominations.

Cetus Cetus You have to pick between DLC stages and DLC bosses, as the former is already a concept.

WaddleMatt WaddleMatt You can nominate rerates, so sure. As for fixed days, I see no reason why not, but that’s up to TCT.

AirMac1 AirMac1 Uhhh... You didn’t win any extra nominations...

Also he apparently imagined Travis using alot of wresling moves? We already got :ultincineroar: for that.
Another reason why Incineroar was a mistake.

Cetus

Smash Apprentice

Over 200

Arle Nadja x225

200 - 151

150 - 101

Rhythm Girl x150
Kat & Ana x105
Grovyle x105

100 - 51

Mach Rider x95
Reaper (Overwatch) x90
Professor Hector x84
Impa x70
Lora (Xenoblade) x65
Reimu Hakurei x65
Hollow Knight x52

50 - 25

Andy (Advance Wars) x40
Porky Minch x40
Papyrus x35
9-Volt x34
Creeper x29
Thrall (Warcraft) x25
Sephiroth x25

Under 25

Ninten x20
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Frisk x10
Decidueye x10
Ravio x10
Blacephalon x5
Amaterasu x5
Monokuma x5
Neptune x5
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x5
Lizalfos x4
Toon Zelda x3
Urbosa x1
[Rerate] Steve? x1

Cetus Cetus You have to pick between DLC stages and DLC bosses, as the former is already a concept.

WaddleMatt WaddleMatt You can nominate rerates, so sure. As for fixed days, I see no reason why not, but that’s up to TCT.

Did I ever say anything about DLC bosses? :thinking: Well um... I guess uh... DLC stages? :shrug: idk

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Travis Touchdown

25% Chance

Suda being bros with Sakurai helps. He also has a good base to work with for smash. He does not have too hurdles with his inclusion for an M Rated character, granted most don't and this is blown out of proportion a lot. Travis also has NMH TSA coming out. This was announced at the big Switch unveiling. It being on the main stage there is a bit of a big deal. I could see Nintendo as a promo pick.

100% Want

Yeah I love NMH. The soundtrack alone is reason enough to do this. I love the games, mainly for the flashy combat. A swordsman based around style and goofy stuff rather than something super serious sounds fun as hell to me. Suplexing people and doing stupid jumping strikes, hell yeah.

Sephiroth x 5

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Travis Touchdown

Chance: 25%
I want to believe. No More Heroes for Wii was inventive and brilliant, a sharp-tongued take lampooning the cycle of violence in videogames and nerd power fantasies in games. It was tough, weird, and clever, and also a bloody cathartic mess. An absolute gem on the Wii and it got a bunch of coverage even from Nintendo Power as it was coming out. No More Heroes 2 was moved up on the Wii as well to fill in the Holiday gap when Brawl was delayed to the point that SUDA51 was thanked in the Brawl credits. And when it was time to bring Travis back, what did they do? They gave him a Switch exclusive and a big spotlight in the Direct that had me bouncing off the walls.

With his new game on the way and Suda's Smash history (including multiple interviews where he has stated he will ask Sakurai to put him in the next game) his chances are better than ever. They're not GREAT - he is a niche character, tied to Nintendo but still niche, and his M-rated sensibilities can work but would be tricky to work with - but this really feels like his best chance.

Want:
100%++++
I did some deep thinking and Travis really is my most-wanted. I wanted him so badly during the lead up to Brawl. I wanted him so badly in Smash 4. One of my friends voted for him in the ballot and every single time a new Smash trailer dropped this cycle we crossed our fingers praying for a familiar phone call from Sylvia. His games are absolutely incredible, hilarious and biting sendups of otaku culture with shockingly deep and moving moments, memorable characters out the wazoo, astounding music (Philistine, Pleather For Breakfast, Mach 13 Elephant Explosion, We Are Finally Cowboys, and more), and so much life and personality that it frankly blows my mind more people don't support him. His support thread is practically anemic. Well, if I have to be the number one Travis Guy, I'll accept this. Maybe Travis Strikes Again isn't a traditional NMH game but I'll be buying it anyway because you know it's going to be a bloody good time.

Moveset potential? Travis drips with it. This dude is a nerd who won a lightsaber on eBay and was convinced by a girl in a bar to become an assassin. He has wrestling moves he learned from Thunder Ryu, sword combos, physical attacks, and special moves galore. The dude can turn into a tiger and summon a mech if he wanted. It's ridiculous! The mix-ups between slashes and grapples could be so smooth and exciting and you throw stuff like luck (the game has a slot machine mechanic during combos that functions similarly to Game and Watch's Judge ability) and his wild specials (the aforementioned Tiger or even the ability to speed up and slow down his attacks) and you have a carried character with a ton of personality from an incredible series that made Nintendo its home.

Put him in!

Nominations: Style Savvy Rep x5

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman

Over 200

Arle Nadja x225

200 - 151

150 - 101

Rhythm Girl x150
Kat & Ana x105
Grovyle x105

100 - 51

Mach Rider x95
Reaper (Overwatch) x90
Professor Hector x84
Impa x70
Lora (Xenoblade) x65
Reimu Hakurei x65
Hollow Knight x52

50 - 25

Andy (Advance Wars) x40
Porky Minch x40
Papyrus x35
9-Volt x34
Creeper x29
Thrall (Warcraft) x25
Sephiroth x25

Under 25

Ninten x20
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Frisk x10
Decidueye x10
Ravio x10
Blacephalon x5
Amaterasu x5
Monokuma x5
Neptune x5
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x5
Lizalfos x4
Toon Zelda x3
Urbosa x1
[Rerate] Steve? x1

Sorry, I saw someone else nominating more, so I thought yesterday was a special day.

As for Travis, I’m abstaining on him.

Noms:Concept:Crazy Taxi rep x5

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Chance: 20%. He's in with Sakurai, and Nintendo is promoting TSA a quite a bit, so I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai suggested him, and Nintendo said yes, even if it's a long shot. IMO, him and Steve are FAR more likely than Shantae and Shovel Knight, even in the next game. However, there is Incineroar, who would make his wrestling moves a lot less unique in the roster. While that doesn't stop him, I do think it does hurt his chances a tiny bit. Overall, he's far better off than most of the other picks, but lacks the corporate advantage characters like Steve and Byleth have.

Want: 0%. When I learned more about Travis: I learned 2 things: 1: He's an Indie and 2: He uses wrestling moves. Number one was a big red flag, since I think the only 2 indie characters who deserve a slot at this moment are Shantae and Shovel Knight, who are both deconfirmed, as I feel that the first indie rep should be known for being an indie like those two, which guys like Steve, Sans and Travis (I'm not sure if his first 2 games are even indie at all) are not. Then there's his wrestling moves, which would have kept me from giving him zero, but then Incineraor showed up, so Travis lost that redeeming factor in my eye. If getting him in didn't mean he would steal a slot from Shantae/Shovel Knight, my rating would be a lot higher.

Nomination: No Fan-Favorites x5.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Travis Touchdown
Chance: 12%

I'd of said no chance but then Bayonetta happened. No More Heroes, like Shantae, is a Nintendo focused series, and like Bayonetta it's hyperviolent and kinda rude. Suda21 definitely wants Travis in, that much is certain, but so did Wayforward and all they got was a spirit. Is Travis a big enough deal to get in over Shantae, Shovel Knight AND Rayman? I have some doubts about the latter for sure, but I'm honestly not sure where he stands with the two indies. A lack of a Wii U game didn't help keep him in people's minds during the ballot unlike the other two for what that mattered.

Want: 50%
Okay, I freaking LOVE No More Heroes. It's honestly one of my favourite series, and Travis is both half badass and half nerdy otaku enough that I could see some of his less brutal attacks being used in Smash, including his ability to scream the name of his favourite dessert and transform into a tiger. That's pretty damn cool...but objectively does Travis deserve playability in Smash? Is he a big enough icon? I have my doubts on that one and I'm definitely unsure if he should beat out Bomberman or Rayman as a third party option.

It's also a difficult one because just like with Bayonetta they'd have to castrate the hell out of Travis to make him work. He can't jerk off his blade to max it's power, he can't slice Palutena's head off into quarters with his blade, or cleave Falcon into two perfect halves either as he would in his own game...Incineroar also just took his wrestling element, and we have about a billion swordsmen who honestly fight similar to Travis already since Travis doesn't really fight much differently from say...Chrom or Shulk only with a katana instead of a big hefty blade. You can pretend he does all you want, but there's only so many different ways to swing a sword around and Travis is very much in the Chrom sword school of 'feeling over technique'.

He's also a third party which I'm really not down with, but DAMMIT do I love his games. If he was a bigger deal, you betcha I'd be supporting him heavily, but right now I can't get behind it. Super excited for Travis Strikes Again though!

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So Travis, we meet again...

From before...
Want: 0%

Man, we're really hitting all of the edge lords lately.

Honestly, I have no attachment to No More Heroes, but from reading his support thread it seems that his character is defined by being super edgy. Can't say I'm a huge fan of that excuse for a personality.

He's third party, which by nature is a hit against him, and he's not exactly iconic to boot. Yes, he's Nintendo exclusive, but that doesn't make you an icon. Add in the fact that his game is not at all timed right, and I can't really see it.

Also, after reading what VexTheHex had to say about his series and gameplay, I can't support him in the slightest.
Yeah, no changes here either. I don't need some edgy dude in, and "lol but he's actually a loser' is something that doesn't translate well into a moveset unless it's Pichu's self-damage. Besides, if we want a dual-wielder, I'd rather Dovahkiin. (Heck, I'd rather Dovahkiin than anyone else for any reason)
I'll keep the chance/want scores the same.

Yes, Trav's got a new game on the horizon which is perfectly timed. We've also got the fact that Sakurai is friends with the creator. Everything seems to be looking good for him...

but...

Along with the fact that Travis is not iconic in the slightest, Nintendo's picking the DLC, which means that the creator and Sakurai being friends is not relevant. And to his best argument - how funny and anti-hero he is... we'll I'll just call back to Sans's day:
But the biggest thing - Humor. Does. Not. Translate. Into. Fighting. Games.

People love Sans since he's got a certain sense of humor and he talks in an accursed typeface. But unless his attacks involve him writing something in comic sans and the other characters cringe themselves into a KO, that won't translate. You know where we got some humor? Paly's guidance. You know what one of the most divisive things in the game is? Paly's guidance. Humor is not necessarily universal, and I can't really see them favoring a series enough to give them a stage with an entire codex - and even then, it'd probably be a Sans/Papyrus guidance, which as Viridi has shown, does not imply the character must be playable.
So yeah, he won't be able to make innuendo-laden moves because of censors, he can't make any jokes since they don't translate into fighting, and he has a potential to piss off the casual gaming crowd...which are the exact people who this intends to sell to...

Yeah...I'll keep the 5% chance since anything can happen, but it's not looking good...

Nom: More DLC x5

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
Abstain. I don't know much about Travis.

Nominations:
3rd Party Character from an unrepped company x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Travis Touchdown

Chance - 10% - He seems to be the big indie Nintendo pushed back in the day, acting as the grand finale to a Nindie direct and the representative for indies developing games for the Switch when it was first revealed. Travis has made a small name for himself, but I'm not certain he has what it takes to get in. He's mostly just another sword fighter, and it's hard for him to stand out. More famous and well supported lucked into getting Spirits, and I don't think he can get in if they can't.

Want - 40% - Eh... not really. There are better characters that I support more. I would rather not loose a spot to him.

Nomination

Arle Nadja X5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Imma just explain the joke since you didn't get it.

It's a common joke to imply that Todd Howard is the ultimate shill for his game, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which has been repeatedly ported over and over again. Dovahkiin is the protagonist and player character of the game. To implement Dovahkiin into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate requires the permission of Bethesda, and by association Todd Howard, who gets to promote his game in another game.

Troykv

Smash Master
I will abstain this day's rating because I don't anything interesting to say about Travis; and I think I would be a bit late to give a proper read to his chance.... So I will just do the rest of the stuff.

____

Predictions:

Dovakhin: 14.5%

Nominations

Reimu Hakurei x5

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Abstain.

I've never played his game, and...have no interest in him tbh. Don't really know what to say about him.

Nominations:

Porky Minch x3
Ninten x1
Creeper x1

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure out of 5 characters, we will get one more hero, so no to no more heroes
Gee, even for a joke that's a mouthful. I really had no better ideas here?

Travis is pushed by his creator who's friends with Sakurai. Plus. Sakurai isn't picking, Nintendo is, draw back. He's getting a upcoming release, plus. It's likely he's not seen as iconic, draw back. Case point, I don't see why Nintendo would choose him when there are certainly more iconic picks for them to make. Not saying he wouldn't sell, but his face is a lot less known than some of the front runners we see around here. I'm also not sure how Suda21 wanting him matters, aside from connections to Sakurai. Even then, with Sakurai sitting in the backseat and watching Nintendo steer the vehicle, that friendship won't get him far (seriously, has anyone tried to take a ship on the road? It just doesn't work...)

I'm just not the kind of guy who plays M rated titles, OK? Yeah, I know nothing about Travis. From what little I know however, he doesn't impress me much.

Predictions: Dovakhin
...Yet another M rated character. Well, guess I'll be abstaining again tomorrow... Dovakhin though... Uh, 21%?

Nominate: Professor Hector x5

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Chances:

"No one wanted to believe...
Believe he could get in...
But when the truth... Finally dawned.
It dawns in Smash!
In their tongue he is Dovakhkiin...
Skyrim born!"

60 PERCENT!!!!

High chance 'cause I think Bethesda discussed Smash Bros stuff with Nintendo, and while I don't think they gave a clear answer, it does line up with Skyrim being on the Switch. Plus, Doom's on the Switch too, so they're clearly warming up. It would be a great chance to get your marketing push for your Switch ports if I were Bethesda.

Want-50%
I've never played Skyrim, but honestly the prospect of this guy in Smash is just... The memes... Oh lawd, the memes! He does have the generic swordfighter style which might be a tad overdone at this point, but his setting is a lot different than that of Fire Emblem, so there's lots of possibilities for a cool and unique moveset.

Nominations-Oliver (Ni No Kuni 5x)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
FUS ROH DAH:

Chance 20% - Bethesda said "Oh yeah my dudes get hyped" (may or may not be an exaggeration) when asked if they have talked to Nintendo about Smash, so maybe they could've worked out a deal later on. However, I'm not really sure about it, plus they could also go with Vault Boy or Doomguy.

Want: 40% - Honestly I have no real interest in Skyrim (though the fus roh dah thing is funny and there was a silly Minecraft mod or command-thing with it), however I did play it with my younger bro on the 360 a long-sometime ago (probably like 2013 or so) and had some fun with him and even just watched him play, so I wouldn't be against it and would be happy to give my bro the news. He probably wouldn't care anymore, though...

Nominations:

Ninten x3
Porky Minch x1
Creeper x1

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
You know most people play with mods and never look back.

Chance: 40%. Out of all the third parties without a rep, few have been discussed as much as Bethesda. And Dovahkiin is probably the likeliest of the Bethesda crew simply because of how infamous Skyrim was a while back. Doomguy and Vault Boy do provide decent competition, though; they're probably not as likely. Aside from being western made, Dovahkiin has no big deal holding them back.

Want: 55%. I enjoyed Skyrim on the PS4, though again it was a modded experience and I can't imagine what vanilla feels like. Plus, I haven't played it in quite some time. I should get around to finishing the Story at least.

Noms: Arle Nadja x 5. Celica will have 11.20% chance.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Dovahkiin time, bois!
Chance: 40%: Out of all of Betheseda he is probably the most likely along with some Fallout rep (probs Vault Boy, Mysterious Stranger, or maybe Courier from New Vegas? New Vegas probably will get a Switch port along with Fallout 3). Nothing is really holding him back other then Doomguy or Fallout rep. And I would say that Fallout rep is very very likely, but I love New Vegas and Fallout 3 so I'm biased.
Want: 80%: I would LOVE the Dovahkiin. Of course, I would prefer the Courier from New Vegas as a Betheseda char. But Skyrim is an awesome game so eh.
Noms: Courier (Fallout: New Vegas) x 2, Hollow Knight x 2, Frog x 1
Celica will have a 7% chance

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica i expect good writing from you today ;).
I'll do what I can...

Ok, I'm not an idiot. Recent leaks notwithstanding (I'm trying to avoid those...), DLC is most likely going to be a thing, so I'll go from that route. Skyrim's pretty old at this point (first released in 2011), and it's hit by the same 'one shot only' problem that affects everyone but the Fire Emblem cast and the Kid Icarus clone. And the fact that the Dragonborn is a blank avatar character. And the fact that there are people who are convinced that Sakurai is a vehement racist and wants no western characters in the game. Also, if we look at the fanbases for Bethesda characters in the first place, Doomguy's got a lot more pull from various sites.

Still, The Elder Scrolls series is one of the more memetic video game series - every game has at least three lines that immediately end up on Know Your Meme or the like. Everyone remembers "Arrow in the Knee" or "Stop right there, Criminal Scum!" Unlike TESV however, there wasn't really a marketed character for Morrowind or Oblivion (and Arena and Daggerfall didn't really make the same splash that the later ones did in the first place). Skyrim's marketing, however, centered around a male Nord with the worst armor in the game a specific look, and he appeared in all trailers and promo art.

Skyrim was pretty important in the Switch's marketing. Back in October '16, the first Switch trailer used it as a major selling point to the extent that it was the second game shown off for the console. Skyrim was technically shown off for the Switch before a Mario game. The only game shown before that was Zelda: BotW, which definitely feels like it has influence from Western RPGs like Skyrim...and in return, Skyrim Switch included Link's outfit as its own crossover content, allowing you to spawn a treasure chest (BotW-style) with amiibo just like in BotW. In addition, the Dovahkiin's helmet is probably one of the most recognizable pieces of headwear in games nowadays - even TF2 got the helmet as a crossover - to the extent that most people on this site recognized my stock icon I made as "the guy from Skyrim" without me even saying anything.

Now, we know that Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash, but that could mean pretty well anything - and again, that article is headed by a picture of Doomguy since he's the one that has the most fan pull. Still, there are a lot of ways that Bethesda content could end up in Smash, from a simple trophy like Rayman had (assuming those are returning...) to an assist to a boss and up from there. In terms of all of the ways Skyrim could get representation, I'll just refer back to my previous post on the topic:

Now that Rathalos is confirmed, having Alduin as a boss characer seems unlikely...but there's the undeniable awesomeness of having a born dragonslayer fighting literal dragons like Ridley or Corrin in Smash. Also the epicness of being able to actually cross blades with Link after their games heavily referenced one another would be incredible.

But there is one thing in Skyrim's favor as well - Skyrim was one of the first, actually the first, western games to achieve a 40/40 on Famitsu. Skyrim's Wikipedia page reports all of the GOTY awards it ended up getting. Also keep in mind that the modding community is going incredibly strong for Skyrim as well, which still gives the game longevity. It is possible that these factors could go towards bringing Skyrim content in. Furthermore, Skyrim as a whole is relatively tame and depends on the dragon shouts as a mechanic. We've had M-rated games in Smash, but people like to joke (or seriously argue) that a Doomguy without epic violence or a Vault Boy without nukes would be a bastardization of the character. Dovahkiin however doesn't depend on questionable content for sticking to form.

I'll plug my character design and moveset again, since I'm really proud of it and I think it'd make a fun kit: Definitely looking for feedback on this.

In the end...this is my pipe dream character. This is the one character who, if he showed up, would excite me to the point that I wouldn't need anyone else in Smash ever. I really want to see him KO characters offstage with just his voice. I want to hear Kirby and his cute accent squeak "Fus Ro Dah!" I want to see my absolute favorite game of my absolute favorite genre with my absolute favorite artstyle in Smash. This would be nothing less than a dream come true for me.

Dragonborn for DLC!
Also, please come visit the Dovahkiin thread!
Well, now what new is there to say about the Dragonborn that I haven't bored everyone with already?

The best place to start is to consider all of the points in his favor. We know that Bethesda talked to Nintendo about Smash, and all of the datamines show no Bethesda content in the game whatsoever. If those talks did lead to anything positive, it's likely that we'll get a character inbound, and Beth doesn't have too many choices. Realistically, the only ones that hit the targets for 'iconic and recognizable' are the Dragonborn, Vault Boy (who may be problematic since Japan isn't really too stoked about nuclear stuff in the first place, plus Fallout's not on Switch), and Doomguy (who is the grandfather of a genre that Japan is really really not a fan of and embodies violence like Ivy Valentine embodies fanservice - you can take it away, but we all know why people like the character...)

The think that's always made Skyrim stick out in my mind (besides me being an incredibly large fan of The Elder Scrolls) was the Switch release trailer back in October '16. It starts with a guy playing Breath of the Wild - of course they're showing that off, we've known that was their big game for ages. Then after he goes off portable, he pulls it out again and plays WAIT IS THAT SKYRIM?!?!? It was phenomenal to see i) Skyrim, but portable, ii) a Bethesda RPG on a Nintendo console, iii) Wait, we saw Skyrim for Switch even before they gave us Mario?

True, I never really considered Skyrim for Smash before that trailer, and I didn't even vote him in the ballot - that was back in the days where I was pretty 'first-party only!' for Smash, and I'd considered Nintendo and my Bethesda RPGs as completely different worlds. I hadn't even considered mixing them beyond simple tongue-in-cheek jokes (funny story - I was just resetting all of my amiibo in preparation for release, and I remembered I'd given them all silly or punny names...my Charizard was names Dovahkiin). But after Skyrim ported to Switch and Breath of the Wild started to break the barriers between Nintendo games and the RPGs I can lose myself in for months, I started to realize that this would be the absolute best timeline.

One thing that Skyrim has over all of the other Bethesda games is that it is exceptionally well known, and that's also worldwide. Skyrim was the first Western game to score a 40/40 on Famitsu, which lets it join such games as Zelda: Ocarina and Breath of the Wild. The modding scene is still going strong (despite not being able to mod on Switch), and the memes have been overflowing (we're still expecting Todd Howard to port Skyrim to literally everything). There has also been a good overlap with BotW in general - Skyrim's Switch port gives you BotW-style chests with Link's new gear, while BotW took several cues from Skyrim in its production.

And another thing that people don't tend to consider much in terms of characters - Dovahkiin's really easy to design to fit into the game world as well. Sure, it's easy to consider him in Smash now that we've got Rathalos as a boss (I smell a Classic mode boss!) and characters like Ridley and Charizard, but it's also easy to think about him in relation to the other cast. He can use a sword, but wouldn't need to be a Link or Marth clone. He can use magic - even charged specials and timeouts - but would be totally different from Robin. I'm always looking for feedback on my character concept idea, so come check it out.

Not to mention that he's got a really iconic helmet. Enough so that it's recognized in other games. And Smash has a character whose whole schtick is putting on hats to look like characters and using their most iconic moves...

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the other possibilities - it'd be phenomenal to see a Skyrim stage: maybe something touring or just atop High Hrothgar, with a day/night cycle so you could see the aurora come in from time to time. Maybe even recycle Ridley's boss fight on Pyrosphere for an Alduin battle. And Jeremy Soule's incredible music would be beyond amazing. Consider: Dragonborn (the main theme), One They Fear or Watch the Skies (played when fighting dragons), the chant of Sovngarde. Or even if they went to bring in Morrowind's or Oblivion's main themes as well...absolute eargasm.

So all things considered, I believe that Dovahkiin would be an incredible addition to the cast. I love the game, the aesthetic, and everything about it. I'm wishing on every star that exists that I'll get to see Todd Howard port Skyrim to Smash Bros. Even just typing this up is hyping me incredibly.

So in conclusion:
Want: ∞ (Fine, I guess we cap out at 100%)
Chance: 1%

Wait, what?

...yeah I'm biased. Except when I'm biased, I usually lowball my chance scores since evidence has shown me that Sakurai tends to do the opposite of what I would. And I don't want to get disappointed.

I can argue that he's (I guess I should say 'they're'...we can get a female alt costume as well. Honestly, give me the alts from my concept and I'll be in heaven) iconic and a perfect fit, but none of that changes the fact that Skyrim released in 2011. As in, the game had it's 7th birthday about 3 weeks ago. Now we can all talk all we want about how K.Rool threw relevancy out the window, but he could always be the exception, not the rule. And look at all of the third parties we've got in the game: Mario's #1 rival; the grandfathers of fighting games, JRPGs, and Metroidvanias; and reps from Sakurai's BFF and Nintendo's newest exclusive. Meanwhile, Dovahkiin is western (we only have a handful of western characters in the game now, and all are from Nintendo properties), and isn't old enough to be a big name on that level. There are loads of people who don't really recognize him. In fact, he's an avatar in the first place. Robin actually is the best comparison - he's the player character, who everyone plays differently (but let's face it, everyone goes stealth archer mode) and everyone makes to look differently (and nobody uses the worst armor in the game like the marketing). True, unlike other western RPGs, the Dragonborn's had a consistent look across all of the marketing and tends to use a sword, but even the marketing disagrees on whether he carries a shield, dagger, or nothing in his off hand.

In terms of Bethesda reps, they're really sitting on Elder Scrolls right now. TES6 isn't coming out for ages and TES Online has been out for a bit and doesn't really focus on Skyrim (at least it avoided the problems of their recent online game...). On the other hand, Doom's port did really well, Doomguy is more popular in the west, and there's even another Doom game coming out in the near future. Doomguy is really his biggest competition - sure, he's also a nameless avatar character, but it all depends on whether we go with Todd's homegrown baby or the new hotness.

And that's all assuming we're even getting a character from Bethesda in the first place. WayForward talked to Smash and got a Spirit. Yacht Club talked to Smash and got an assist trophy. And both kept silent until release. Bethesda has let it slip they talked, so there's really no guarantee that it went anywhere. And even if it did, there's a chance that they're only getting Mii Costumes. Because of the fact that we've seen all Mii costumes and we've noticed what's not there that was before, it's highly likely that we'll get some Mii Costume DLC packs down the line, and it'd be easy enough to make a Doomguy gunner and Dovahkiin swordfighter (in which case, I may need to start playing a Mii swordsman).

But oh man do I want this to happen. If they come out one day and drop that we're getting Dovahkiin in Smash, I'm instantly changing my main no matter how bad he ends up being. I'll go in for a Premium account just to get him in the back of my posts. I'll buy the entire fighter pack sight unseen since I'll be so hyped for the game. I pray that I'll be able to see the Dragonborn finally get a chance to cross blades with Link, that I'll be able to see Kirby squeak out a "FUS RO DAH!," that I can join my favorite Nintendo game with my favorite game of all time. But it all feels like such a pipe dream...just one that would e absolute bliss if it came true...

Dovahkiin for DLC!

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Dovakiin

Chance: 15%. I just don't see him. If there's going to be a western guest character, it'll be Steve/Banjo instead. He does have bit of an edge because if Skyrim on Switch and Todd Howard's shilling of Skyrim though.

Want: 10%. No not interested. I like playing Skyrim, but I don't want to see him in that much.

Celica Prediction: 14.33%

Nominate All DLC is 3rd Party x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Abstaining on Dovahkiin. The only thing I will say is that they are probably the most likely Bethesda rep should the company ever get a rep in Smash. They have a lot going for them but their lack of history with Nintendo really hurts.

Celica chance prediction: 13.58%

Nominations:
Concept: SNK rep x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Abstaining today since I don’t care. Mach Rider x5

Over 200

Arle Nadja x235

200 - 151

Rhythm Girl x155

150 - 101
Concept: All DLC will be third-party x145
Nero Claudius (Fate) x115
Grovyle x110
Concept: CGI trailers for newcomers (barring Piranha Plant) x110
Kat & Ana x105
Concept: More DLC x105

100 - 51

Concept: Gen 8 Pokemon x100
Mach Rider x100
Concept: Stages outside Fighter Pass x100
Concept: No fan favorite/highly requested characters x95
Reaper (Overwatch) x95
Professor Hector x89
Concept: Third-party character from unrepped Company x85
Impa x70
Reimu Hakurei x70
Lora (Xenoblade) x65
Hollow Knight x55
50 - 25

Andy (Advance Wars) x45
Porky Minch x43
Concept: Boss Rush x40
Papyrus x35
9-Volt x34
Creeper x30
Sephiroth x30
Thrall (Warcraft) x25

Under 25

Ninten x21
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Concept: SNK rep x15
Ravio x15
Frisk x10
Decidueye x10
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x7
Blacephalon x5
Amaterasu x5
Monokuma x5
Neptune x5
Spyro x5
Concept: Style Savvy rep x5
Concept: Crazi Taxi rep x5
Lizalfos x4
Toon Zelda x3
Urbosa x1
[Rerate] Steve? x1

Rhythm Girl dances past 150 noms.

Concept: More DLC passes 100 noms.

Today’s newcomers are Spyro, a Style Savvy Rep and a Crazy Taxi Rep, each with 5 nominations.

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Dovahkiin

Chance: 20%
For all we know, Bethesda's talk with Nintendo might possibly mean we're getting a Bethesda rep in Smash and out of all the characters they have, I believe Dovakhiin is more likely to represent the company. Skyrim is a very popular franchise and as such, he would Bethesda's first choice when it comes to getting in Smash. However, like I said during Doomguy's day, being a character from a Western company really hurts their chances and not to mention he has stiff competition with Doomguy himself (who had more history with Nintendo than Dovahkiin) and someone from Fallout, another really popular franchise from Bethesda.

Want: 55%
I gotta admit, I really wanted to see Dovahkiin in Smash. Seriously, who wouldn't want to see him shout Fus Ro Dah at the characters during the battle. He's not my most wanted character, but I would be happy regardless if he made it in. If not, then it's alright since I have other third-party characters that I wanted in Smash more than this guy anyway.

Celica Prediction: 15.21%

Nominations:
Nero Claudius (Fate) x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Buy my game
Chance: 30%
This is why I gave Doomguy such a low score. If Bethesda's talk with Nintendo amounted to anything big I see it being Dovakhin. Skyrim is THE game you think of when you hear Bethesda. It sold over 30 million copies, gets ported so much it's become a meme and helped popularize the Open World genre, even inspiring BotW. It alone is huge enough to potentially overshadow Doomguy's relevancy and history with Nintendo. I've said before Nintendo likely wouldn't go for many third-parties, especially from M-rated series but there isn't any over the top gore and violence from what I know so potential censorship wouldn't be as jarring as if they were to put in Doomguy or Travis and Skyrim is also that big enough of a deal for Dovakhin to be one of the exeptions. Let's not forget Skyrim got featured in the Switch reveal trailer. He's also more likely to appeal to the east than Doomguy atleast.

Want: 55%
The memes that would spawn from it would be pretty epic to say the least. And who knows, it might even convince me to pick up Skyrim.

Celica: 6.81%

CGI DLC trailers x5

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I'll do what I can...

Well, now what new is there to say about the Dragonborn that I haven't bored everyone with already?

The best place to start is to consider all of the points in his favor. We know that Bethesda talked to Nintendo about Smash, and all of the datamines show no Bethesda content in the game whatsoever. If those talks did lead to anything positive, it's likely that we'll get a character inbound, and Beth doesn't have too many choices. Realistically, the only ones that hit the targets for 'iconic and recognizable' are the Dragonborn, Vault Boy (who may be problematic since Japan isn't really too stoked about nuclear stuff in the first place, plus Fallout's not on Switch), and Doomguy (who is the grandfather of a genre that Japan is really really not a fan of and embodies violence like Ivy Valentine embodies fanservice - you can take it away, but we all know why people like the character...)

The think that's always made Skyrim stick out in my mind (besides me being an incredibly large fan of The Elder Scrolls) was the Switch release trailer back in October '16. It starts with a guy playing Breath of the Wild - of course they're showing that off, we've known that was their big game for ages. Then after he goes off portable, he pulls it out again and plays WAIT IS THAT SKYRIM?!?!? It was phenomenal to see i) Skyrim, but portable, ii) a Bethesda RPG on a Nintendo console, iii) Wait, we saw Skyrim for Switch even before they gave us Mario?

True, I never really considered Skyrim for Smash before that trailer, and I didn't even vote him in the ballot - that was back in the days where I was pretty 'first-party only!' for Smash, and I'd considered Nintendo and my Bethesda RPGs as completely different worlds. I hadn't even considered mixing them beyond simple tongue-in-cheek jokes (funny story - I was just resetting all of my amiibo in preparation for release, and I remembered I'd given them all silly or punny names...my Charizard was names Dovahkiin). But after Skyrim ported to Switch and Breath of the Wild started to break the barriers between Nintendo games and the RPGs I can lose myself in for months, I started to realize that this would be the absolute best timeline.

One thing that Skyrim has over all of the other Bethesda games is that it is exceptionally well known, and that's also worldwide. Skyrim was the first Western game to score a 40/40 on Famitsu, which lets it join such games as Zelda: Ocarina and Breath of the Wild. The modding scene is still going strong (despite not being able to mod on Switch), and the memes have been overflowing (we're still expecting Todd Howard to port Skyrim to literally everything). There has also been a good overlap with BotW in general - Skyrim's Switch port gives you BotW-style chests with Link's new gear, while BotW took several cues from Skyrim in its production.

And another thing that people don't tend to consider much in terms of characters - Dovahkiin's really easy to design to fit into the game world as well. Sure, it's easy to consider him in Smash now that we've got Rathalos as a boss (I smell a Classic mode boss!) and characters like Ridley and Charizard, but it's also easy to think about him in relation to the other cast. He can use a sword, but wouldn't need to be a Link or Marth clone. He can use magic - even charged specials and timeouts - but would be totally different from Robin. I'm always looking for feedback on my character concept idea, so come check it out.

Not to mention that he's got a really iconic helmet. Enough so that it's recognized in other games. And Smash has a character whose whole schtick is putting on hats to look like characters and using their most iconic moves...

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the other possibilities - it'd be phenomenal to see a Skyrim stage: maybe something touring or just atop High Hrothgar, with a day/night cycle so you could see the aurora come in from time to time. Maybe even recycle Ridley's boss fight on Pyrosphere for an Alduin battle. And Jeremy Soule's incredible music would be beyond amazing. Consider: Dragonborn (the main theme), One They Fear or Watch the Skies (played when fighting dragons), the chant of Sovngarde. Or even if they went to bring in Morrowind's or Oblivion's main themes as well...absolute eargasm.

So all things considered, I believe that Dovahkiin would be an incredible addition to the cast. I love the game, the aesthetic, and everything about it. I'm wishing on every star that exists that I'll get to see Todd Howard port Skyrim to Smash Bros. Even just typing this up is hyping me incredibly.

So in conclusion:
Want: ∞ (Fine, I guess we cap out at 100%)
Chance: 1%

Wait, what?

...yeah I'm biased. Except when I'm biased, I usually lowball my chance scores since evidence has shown me that Sakurai tends to do the opposite of what I would. And I don't want to get disappointed.

I can argue that he's (I guess I should say 'they're'...we can get a female alt costume as well. Honestly, give me the alts from my concept and I'll be in heaven) iconic and a perfect fit, but none of that changes the fact that Skyrim released in 2011. As in, the game had it's 7th birthday about 3 weeks ago. Now we can all talk all we want about how K.Rool threw relevancy out the window, but he could always be the exception, not the rule. And look at all of the third parties we've got in the game: Mario's #1 rival; the grandfathers of fighting games, JRPGs, and Metroidvanias; and reps from Sakurai's BFF and Nintendo's newest exclusive. Meanwhile, Dovahkiin is western (we only have a handful of western characters in the game now, and all are from Nintendo properties), and isn't old enough to be a big name on that level. There are loads of people who don't really recognize him. In fact, he's an avatar in the first place. Robin actually is the best comparison - he's the player character, who everyone plays differently (but let's face it, everyone goes stealth archer mode) and everyone makes to look differently (and nobody uses the worst armor in the game like the marketing). True, unlike other western RPGs, the Dragonborn's had a consistent look across all of the marketing and tends to use a sword, but even the marketing disagrees on whether he carries a shield, dagger, or nothing in his off hand.

In terms of Bethesda reps, they're really sitting on Elder Scrolls right now. TES6 isn't coming out for ages and TES Online has been out for a bit and doesn't really focus on Skyrim (at least it avoided the problems of their recent online game...). On the other hand, Doom's port did really well, Doomguy is more popular in the west, and there's even another Doom game coming out in the near future. Doomguy is really his biggest competition - sure, he's also a nameless avatar character, but it all depends on whether we go with Todd's homegrown baby or the new hotness.

And that's all assuming we're even getting a character from Bethesda in the first place. WayForward talked to Smash and got a Spirit. Yacht Club talked to Smash and got an assist trophy. And both kept silent until release. Bethesda has let it slip they talked, so there's really no guarantee that it went anywhere. And even if it did, there's a chance that they're only getting Mii Costumes. Because of the fact that we've seen all Mii costumes and we've noticed what's not there that was before, it's highly likely that we'll get some Mii Costume DLC packs down the line, and it'd be easy enough to make a Doomguy gunner and Dovahkiin swordfighter (in which case, I may need to start playing a Mii swordsman).

But oh man do I want this to happen. If they come out one day and drop that we're getting Dovahkiin in Smash, I'm instantly changing my main no matter how bad he ends up being. I'll go in for a Premium account just to get him in the back of my posts. I'll buy the entire fighter pack sight unseen since I'll be so hyped for the game. I pray that I'll be able to see the Dragonborn finally get a chance to cross blades with Link, that I'll be able to see Kirby squeak out a "FUS RO DAH!," that I can join my favorite Nintendo game with my favorite game of all time. But it all feels like such a pipe dream...just one that would e absolute bliss if it came true...

Dovahkiin for DLC!
Beautiful...

Dovahkiin Chance: 5%
My man put it perfectly. He has all the credentials a character could need...I just really don’t think it would be something that Sakurai would opt for. Maybe it’s a little bit more likely with Nintendo at the helm with DLC choices. I mean they have seemed very into Bethesda lately. I don’t know. A small part of me thinks that he could kind of be like the next Cloud. The DLC third party that no one expects Nintendo to choose that ends up making perfect sense afterwards. Who knows? I’m still doubtful.

Want: 100%
Are you kidding me!? This would be a dream come true! Skyrim is such an incredibly special game to me. I have never been as enthralled by a game as I was with Skyrim. Literally hours and hours of every day, of every week, for many months of just nonstop immersion. And I don’t even feel like I wasted my time! It’s so beautiful and captivating and deep and detailed and I just can’t get enough of it! If it somehow creeped it’s way into my favorite series of all time, I would be overjoyed. Trying to picture a Khajiit on Corneria alongside characters like Pikachu and Cloud and Snake is mind boggling in the best possible way.

Celica 5.5%

Ryu Hayabusa x5

Last edited:
Top Bottom