• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Abstain, again. I never heard of this character before.

Travis T. 15%

Noms: Hornet(Hollow Knight) x5

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Carmen Sandiego

Chance: 10%. She is a very recognisable character, but many people would be surprised that she can make it in smash. Of course, the main issue is the fierce competition between many other fighters, but her popularity could turn the tide around some of the fighters. Who knows who will show up for #7 in the fighter's pass.

Want: 50%. I can already picture her trailer, stealing an invitation from any character that is now playable yet. She would be fun to play as in addition to that. I can also see her fighting Joker, who is trying to take all the stuff Carmen stole. Overall, she would be a fun and surprising choice for a new rep, and that is what matters.

Prediction: Travis (10%)

Noms: 2 for Falinks and 3 for Echo: Dark Bowser (14E)

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Chance: 5%. I don’t know if the Carmen Sandiego series has ever had a push in Japan, firstly. Second, while she is a character de jure born of games, Sakurai might not even know this if he was introduced to the character by her much more well known cartoon appearances (assuming he and Nintendo ever considered them at all). As a result, I can’t see her getting in Smash. But if the stars align, it could happen, so I think she’s better off than de Blob or Crypto.

Want: 30%. There’d be an interesting novelty to including an edutainment character. But I feel like Joker stole the thief aesthetic, even if he doesn’t actually put it to use. And I don’t think of her as a gaming character anyway. She might be from one, but that’s not her most iconic appearance to me. It might be in general, but I didn’t even play her games and I was passingly familiar with the character.

Hm? That’s odd. I had a title joke, but it was stolen. And my five nominations to Paper Mario were also stolen. I can at least predict Travis Touchdown getting a 43.85%, right?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Carmen Sandiego

Unfortunately I'm abstaining again. I would do research but I got a headache.

Predictions: Travis Touchdown - 56%

Noms: Concept: Contra rep x5

D

Deleted member

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

Chance: 1%

I don't really have much to say about her chances as I didn't do enough research on her. I don't necessarily see her all that likely since Nintendo doesn't probably have any sort of relationship with whoever owns the franchise. Most of the characters already in Ultimate and DLC all have an established relationship with the company in some form whether if it's because they own them or the companies involved have done stuff with Nintendo previously, so it's very unlikely that we'll find Carmen Sandiego on the Smash roster.

Want: 80%

I'll tell ya what though; she'd be that super out there pick I can get behind. While I've never played or seen anything remotely related to the series before, I do remember the times SSoHPKC said Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego off the back of my head when I watched a lot of his LPs back then. She also looks cool, so yeah I'm pretty sold on Carmen Sandiego being in Smash. She'd probably have the most straightforward Splash Screen ever like "is here" as an answer to the question of where in the world is Carmen Sandiego, so that would be a fun thing to see.

------------------
Predictions:
Travis - 36.32%

------------------
Noms:
Devolver Digital Rep x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Woo-hoo! Carmens day, let me start by sharing this awesome video
L
(the red head who starts the off, Ivy, is voiced by Abby Trott, who is also the theme song for Lifelight)

Carmen Sandiego is an interesting choice. On paper she's a perfect choice. She's no doubt iconic, the red hat and trench coat is very much her signature look. I think many of us would have played at least one of her games growing up, probably on a School computer. I myself played Treasures of knowledge

(it was this game that Jules first appeared, who later returned for the Netflix show)

Her franchise was so successful, that it quickly spawned game shows and animated cartoons. And she continued to get games all the way up to 2015. And we've never had an edutainment character before. But despite being edutainment, she's not on level of Putt Putt in terms of age appeal, Treasures of knowledge may be point and click, earlier games really made you use your head. And the recent Netflix show can be really mature. As a former secret agent and world renowned thief, she obviously has plenty of moveset options with plenty of gizmos and gadgets up her sleeve.

So she is with out a doubt worthy in her own right, but she'd also bring some nice diversity to the roster, she'd be the first Latino on the roster I believe and she would be the first fully unique female villain (although she's more morally ambiguous, especially in later games. And she's straight up hero in the Netflix show)

She's also no stranger to Nintendo, with games on the NES, SNES, GameCube, Wii and DS

But she's got two pretty big points against her however

1. She's very rarely brought up in Smash speculation, so obviously she's not even close to a fan favourite.

2. It's hard to figure out how big she got in Japan. I know the first game was highly successful there which led to the creation of "Where in Japan is Carmen Sandiego" but finding information is a little difficult, I did find this video online https://youtu.be/qyhAAgr7Yp0 And I know there's a Japanese dub coming to the Netflix adaption. And I think the 90s cartoon had Japanese dub but it was seemingly lost to time. Either way I don't think she's unheard of there, it's just difficult to find evidence of her significance.

As for what she'd bring to Smash, let's see

The stage would probably be either her Vile Hideout or Acme headquarters. Or maybe a travelling stage that takes you to famous real world landmarks. But it'll probably be the first two.

For music, there's plenty to choose from, even if they're not particularly memorable
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUarXxb_U_N3oGSQFFyBpzcVnIGzdu_fQ
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJo2rJAw1MtP7PsgsAbbyKjthayXWf5cU

That said, if Cloud can get an Advent Children alt, Carmen can get a Rockapella remix (please)

I can picture a couple of Spirits coming from treasures of knowledge, Jules and Hawkins could be ACE spirits, while the Legend would no doubt be Chief. The other spirits would likely be some of the whackey villains of earlier games

Now for why I nominated her, as I said before, she's barely discussed with Smash speculation, I want that to change. She's perfect for Smash

Iconic? Check
Relevant? Check
Moveset potential? Check
Other content potential? Check
Bring in much needed diversity without it feeling too forced? Check
Presence on Nintendo systems? Check

Why is she so overlooked???

I get that most people probably know her better for her various TV shows, but every single TV show pays tribute to her gaming origins.

The original show was literally a game show.

The 90s cartoon actually takes place in a video game with the "Player" trying to capture her.

The Netflix show had a Google Earth promotion and recently an interactive episode.

She's rooted very much in video games.

Now for scores

Chance 5%
Want 95%

She's just not talked about enough and I think that's unfortunate. I hope more people open their hearts to her, she's an awesome character with one of the coolest designs out there. I hope with Netflix show doing well, they release some more games, perhaps something with more gamer appeal (although they attempted this with the GameCube game..... It doesn't look great if I'm honest)

Nominate someone who isn't the star of their own game x5

Prediction Travis 29%

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Carmen Sandiego is always in Smash. We just can’t see her!
Joking aside...

Chance: 7
The main issue here is would the current owners (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) want to see her fighting? Also, is Sakurai/Nintendo aware of her?
Want: 100
Despite these flaws, she could be one of the craziest fighters. Maybe even steal the platforms of a stage.

Nominate: Not sure how this part works so I’ll put down Otto Matic.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Carmen Sandiego

I couldn't find anything about how popular her series is in Japan so I think it's safe to say she isn't the most requested character over there. While her series as a whole is pretty popular, I just don't see Sakurai/Nintendo going out of their way to add someone from an educational line of games.

Want: Abstain
On one hand, I think old school PC games are a genre that deserves to be represented in Smash in some form. Carmen also has a cool design and moveset potential where I can see her being an even more sly Joker. On the other hand, I've only heard of the series through the occasional passing mention so she's far from my most wanted. Also there is a very good reason why I put two of her cartoon themes in today's music post: the music from Carmen's actual games are just quiet ambient tracks that each had only about 5,000 views on Youtube. Hearing catchy tracks while fighting is something that plays a great part in my desire for a character, so unless they made it where Carmen would come with music tracks from her TV shows (which would be a first for Smash) then her inclusion would greatly disappoint in the music department.

Because I'm not too familiar with her series, I'll abstain from my want rating altogether. Props to whoever nominated this though. It's up there with Kunio and Terry in the not so popular Smash requests that more people deserve to know about category.

Travis chance prediction: 33.54%

Nominations:
Axel Stone x5

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Carmen Sandiego
Chance: 0%
Not the type of video game character I think Nintendo is looking for as far as Smash DLC goes. She has no noticeable demand from the Smash community. She didn't really have any special relationship with Nintendo. I think Nintendo would have bigger priorities.

Want: 70%
She would actually be good for a laugh. Not my favorite educational pick, but it would be unbelievable to see the genre represented in Smash at all. Yea h I think I'd be fine with her.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Carmen Sandiego

Chance: 20%

Her fan demand hasn't been the greatest. While her series may be decently popular, I don't know how likely she would be in terms of priority.

Want: 100%

I think she would be a fun pick to represent the educational genre. She'd also fit fine among the cast.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Carmen Sandiego

Chance 1 - I really dont think so. There's a lot of questions here that need to be answered here. She's not really iconic from her games, so would she be considered by Nintendo? Do we have to base her off her game appearances? Can music and other things be pulled from her Netflix series or is that not allowed? Its really tough to know. Throwing all that out for a minute, I have a hard time seeing Sakurai and Nintendo going for an educational game rep, and if he did IDK if he could make it true to both an educational game and how she's perceived publicly. I also have no idea what Japan thinks of her so that's likely an issue as well.

Want 65 - I'd take this. Carm is a pretty big pop culture icon and technically works for Smash since she originates in a video game. Would be a cool "Hey guys, look who actually counts for Smash but you had no clue" moment.

Predictions
Travis Touchdown - 37.20%

Noms
Big Daddy x5

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Carmen
Chance: 5%
OK so I know she was a thing at one point. She's kind of fallen out of the spotlight though. An educational rep is an interesting idea, but an unlikely one. A major issue I see with her is the lack of demand. It's not like Nintendo would have no idea who she is. She's been on Gamecube, DS, and Wii.

Want: 30%
Why not? She could be a cool WTF character choice. She's not completely unknown today. Maybe give her a traveling stage that moves all over the world?

Predict: Travis Touchdown 40%

Noms: Gnar x5

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Carmen Sandiego

I honestly thought this was an Aprils Fool's joke when I first saw the heading, but alas it turns out that Carmen DOES come from a video game first and not a TV show. She could be the "Out There" pick that Smash usually has, but besides that I don't expect her to make it in.

Want: 95%
Sue why the hell not. It has to be the new Carmen Sandiego though, you know the one from the Netflix show? It's one of those rare instances where the New design is so much better then the old.

Nominations:
Cooking Mama x5

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Carmen Sandiego - Abstain

I've heard of her, but I've never played the games nor watched the shows or anything. All I know about her comes from hearsay (and not much). Suffice to say that's not enough for a fair rating.

Predictions: Travis Touchdown - 54%

Nominations: Junko & Monokuma

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Remember: today is the last day your nominations can alter the top seven.

Mii Costume: Quote x160
[Rerate] Paper Mario x140
Reporter & Wrestler x130
Ryo Hazuki x125
Big Daddy (BioShock) x120
Mii Costume: Hollow Knight x115
Gex x115

150 - 101

Segata Sanshiro x105

100 - 51

Gnar (League of Legends) x95
Chun-Li x90
Bubsy x90
Concept: Devolver Digital rep x85
Decidueye x80
Proto Man x75
Papyrus x75
Sackboy x75
Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x75
Hornet (Hollow Knight) x75
Falinks x72
Meowth x69
Brian (Quest 64) x65
Concept: Darksiders rep x60
Alucard (Castlevania) x60
Concept: New Zelda character x52

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
Earthworm Jim x50
[Rerate] Concept: Gen 8 Pokémon x50
Sirfetch'd x50
Echo: Zeraora (41e) x45
Concept: A character who isn't the star of their own game x40
Kasumi (Dead or Alive) x35
Terra Branford x35
Concept: Contra rep x35
Minato Arisato x35
Boss: Ender Dragon x33
Concept: DLC music packs x30
[Rerate] Kratos x30
[Rerate] Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x30
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x27
Echo: Dark Bowser (14e) x27
Urbosa x25
Giygas x25
Concept: Civilization series stage with music (Standalone) x25

Under 25

Echo: Lord Fredrik (67e) x21
Concept: Level-5 rep x20
Rival Pokémon Trainer x17
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x16
Concept: Returning stages x16
Zeraora x15
Ahri (League of Legends) x15
Junko & Monokuma x15
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x10
[Rerate] Agumon x10
Concept: Dark Souls rep x10
Guardian (Destiny) x10
[Rerate] Monokuma x10
Gooigi x10
[Rerate] Steve x10
Gran/Djeeta x10
Lora and Jin x10
Black Shadow x8
Chell x8
[Rerate] Professor Layton x8
Taranza x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Gordon Freeman x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Mii Costume: Hat Kid x5
Concept: Portal 2 rep x5
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x5
Breath of the Wild 2 Ganondorf x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
Otto Matic x5
King Graham x5
Concept: Fortnite character x5
Magolor x5
[Rerate] Andy x5
Axel Stone x5
Concept: Nippon Ichi rep x5
3 Mage Sisters x2

Big Daddy passes Mii Costume: Hollow Knight and Gex, takes fifth place.

Concept: New Zelda character crosses the 50 nom mark.

Concept: Civilization series stage with music (Standalone) advances to the post-25 noms era.

Today's newcomers are Axel Stone and Concept: Nippon Ichi rep (both with 5 noms), and Junko & Monokuma with 15.

I'll post my ratings in a while but I want to do some real research to get a grasp on her chances. But first...

Hm? That’s odd. I had a title joke, but it was stolen. And my five nominations to Paper Mario were also stolen.
I can't let this go unnoticed. This is some high class subtle humor.

amageish

Smash Master
In reality, I think I had something else pinned there and completely zoned out. It never happened.
That's understandable haha. It just was kind of funny to see Ryu on his own.

Carmen Sandiego

Chance: 2%. This feels like the western equivalent of arguing that Saber should be in Smash. Yes, both Saber and Carmen are objectively video game characters in origin and they totally could be in Smash, but it's hard to deny that the general public reaction should be "Wait, what?". I mean, heck, I saw a not-insignificant amount of people thinking that Joker was an anime rep primarily, in spite of the P5 anime being... adequate?

Perception aside, she is an iconic character and must have had some presence in Japan given that cursory Wikipedia-ing says she got a Japan-exclusive game about Japanese history/geography in 1989. Given how Sakurai is so into gaming history, I'd be surprised if he hasn't at least heard of her. Nintendo picking her as a character though? I'm not sure if she would be on their radar right now. She doesn't seem to have significant fan demand or much of a Nintendo presence (and I haven't seen evidence of the Nintendo titles being localized in Japan). She has general culture relevance and popularity on her side, but that popularity coming from a Netflix show and not a video game... could mean something?

Want: 60%. Sure! Why not? I like the idea of an Edutainment rep. I imagine she'd play as a mix of Joker and Villager, being a sneaky thief who can also just pull random stuff out of her pockets as she feels like it. I'd also love to see the reaction videos to her reveal, as that would be intense (assuming we get animated trailers again).

Nominations: Level-5 Rep x5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Why is she so overlooked???
I get that most people probably know her better for her various TV shows, but every single TV show pays tribute to her gaming origins.

Probably that and the fact that her franchise is most well known for being PC games, so not a lot of people grew up with her games.

Carmen Sandiego

Chance: 5% - An iconic character from the 90's who got several cartoon spinoffs, Carmen Sandiego looks to be in quite a good position initially. She's had a very sucessful franchise with several entries on Nintendo systems, making her well qualified for the position. Furthermore, she continues to remain relevant, and has a new show coming out soon, so she'll be fresh in everyone's minds. Despite being an educational series, she really makes you use her head and is more in line with Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton. Let's not mention the techniques and gadgets at her disposal which would make for some god moveset ideas.

Though the real issues for her start for two reasons. Her popularity in Japan is difficult to gouge and more than likely didn't make a splash there. Despite being on Nintendo systems, she was mostly well known for her computer games (and PC being a niche market in Japan means less exposure). Very few western icons made it big and Japan, and the cartoons were more than likely not dubbed for a Japanese audience (correction, looks like they were dubbed in Japan!). Then of course there's fan demand. As people have mentioned there isn't a lot of demand for her on either side of the world, and she's more than likely not on Nintendo or Sakurai's radar. If they're going to make another deal with a western company they'll more than likely go for a character like Crash instead.

Overall a very iconic character with rich history that is unfortunately overshadowed by circumstance. But I think she'd be a nice surprise!

Want: 40% - Now here's a character that I have history with! My parents bought us several Carmen Sandiego computer games when my sister and I were kids, and we played them almost constantly. The characters were super fun (though the French Alien lady (Madame Le'Zard I think) freaked me out when she transformed), and I really loved the KnowBots in one of the entries. Furthermore, Carmen Sandiego is a female rep done right: Moveset potential, iconic character with legacy, several entries on Nintendo systems, she'd be a character who'd be in on her own merits and I fully support that. And as I've said in other write-ups, I feel that a character should have at least one of their games appear on Nintendo systems before Smash is considered for them, and Carmen has that down pat and more.

Nominations:
Concept: Civilization series stage with music (Standalone) x5

Predictions:
Travis Touchdown - 38.74%

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Pauline but evil

Alright so I've been reading up on Carmen Sandiego all this time and I still know less than what NintenRob NintenRob 's post taught me. So I think I'll just give my ratings based on that.

Carmen Sandiego is an iconic videogame character. I dispute her being more known as a TV character than as a videogame; I'd argue she's equally known for both. It's honestly no small feat for a character from such a normally ignored genre (the edutainment game) to be that iconic, but that's just a testament to the quality and popularity of her games (seriously, the sales numbers for some of these games are insane). She has Nintendo appearances on several consoles, from the NES and SNES to the Wii. And she's still relevant, with her latest game being from 2015 (which makes her more relevant than Castlevania and Bayonetta, to my surprise), and of course the Netflix show. Normally, that would be enough to get any character up to "getting in any second now" status, but sadly Carmen is a Western character.

Now we still live in the era where Western characters in Smash is more of a speculation thing than a concrete reality, with only Banjo-Kazooie and Microsoft representing that half of the globe. We don't know if what's been keeping them out is just the difficulties of negotiations or if Sakurai simply isn't looking their way. Regardless, that hasn't stopped Western characters like Crash or Master Chief from seeming likely - so what makes a Western character likely to break the barrier?

First, there's impact. Sakurai's a gaming historian, so he's bound to know about the Carmen Sandiego games. If you're thinking about edutainment games, aside from the notorious Mario is Missing and Mario's Time Machine, your mind will probably go to Carmen. Not only are they amongst the most famous and successful in the genre, they're also games that people are willing to play even despite the educative angle. They strike that delicate balance that so many fail at. Of course, the counter to this point is that Carmen's impact is very much focused on computers - we can't really say for certain, but it doesn't look like PC impact matters much for Sakurai's choices - and that the edutainment genre is, of course, its own highly separated niche.

Aside from that, another factor is Japanese presence. Of course successful franchises created in Japan are bound to have at least some notoriety in Japan, but as for Western franchises? It's hit and miss. For every Crash there's a Spyro. I think it can be said that Carmen had at least some popularity in the region. There was of course the Japan-exclusive Where in Japan is Carmen Sandiego?, which was created because of the success of the original game over there. Mr. Nintendo also mentioned that shows got dubbed over there. One thing I could find is that Konami made a port for the NES of Where in Time?, and while they were very much a hired gun back in those days, it's still a huge Japanese developer making a game for the series, so that's gotta count for something.

What about company relationships? This one's tough. The corporate synergy factor of Smash can't be ignored. All of the companies present are ones with strong relationships to Nintendo. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is a book publishing company based out of Boston. If they have an established nexus to Sakurai I'd be shocked. This isn't even a big Western company like EA or Rockstar where the relationship is small but there's room to grow. The only thing to gain from a relationship with HMH is either new or old Carmen Sandiego games on Switch. Even SNK at least makes King of Fighters games. And would HMH even see value in featuring Carmen Sandiego in Smash?

A last factor, and sadly one that doesn't favor Carmen, is demand. So far, our only Western character is Banjo. Are the Banjo games all time classics which defined their genre and their era? Yes, of course. Were they successful in Japan? Yes, that's also true. But Banjo & Kazooie got in for mainly one reason, and that's demand. Since so far that's the only example of a Western character getting in, it's possible that they're an exception to be made for huge fan favorites. Carmen... Well, she's been under the radar. The way this rating's been going, I hope that changes, but yeah, that's kinda the killing blow.

Anything else is probably easy, moveset-wise she's a thief, she's used cool gadgets in the past and if need be she can probably use things related to geography, art, history, etc. You can have the pick of the litter with stages. While there might be some rights issues with characters from the TV shows (which were distributed internationally by, who else, Disney), the fact that the Netflix show uses characters from several incarnations without anyone's involvement except for the current IP holder makes me think it's all good.

Chance: 9%

Want: 86%

Man, Carmen's such an underrated choice. A female, hispanic villain, who's the greatest thief alive. She's just so cool and fits right in with the Smash pantheon of gaming stars (picture Kirby with that red fedora), despite how unlikely it may seem. And hey, edutainment game or not, a classic's a classic. She'd be unexpected for sure but I would welcome her.

One extra point because in the new show she's Argentinian and I'll gladly take the representation.

Noms: Chun-Li x5
I don't know how we've managed to not rate Chun-Li until now but that needs to change.

Travis prediction: 69% (more like in the low sixties but that's too fun not to do)

I did not expect to make a long-ass post about a character I didn't nominate, never mind Carmen Sandiego of all people

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Carmen Sandiago

Chance - 1%
I don't think it'll happen, unless Sakurai really wants to go for a WTF third party pick. (which I guess to be fair isn't THAT unlikely since it's Sakurai we're talking about)

Want - 90%

I think she'd be a really cool addition and she represents a genre (edutainment) that doesn't currently have a playable fighter in Smash. Also there's just something so delightfully WTF about her addition that I just really love the idea of her being added to Smash.

I don't feel we've really gotten a true "WTF" third party character yet. (Does Terry count? :p) We've had a lot of surprising third party picks but they still all had some level of demand and support behind them. I think Carmen Sandiego would be the way to do a WTF third party addition right.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Carmen Saniego

Chance - 0.5% - Carmen Saniego is a multimedia franchise that's gain much notoriety, with multiple games and shows to show for it. The Netflix reboot was a real shot in the arm for her, but the question remains that she has reached Japan. She's not that popular among the Smash fandom, and the main thing that would have gotten her in is popularity. Lacking that, I don't see why they would pick her.

Want - 55% - It'd be cool, but I have no strong attachment to her. I'm not certain she'll contribute much but can at least accept her place in both history and, should she be added, Smash bros.

Nominations

Nippon Ichi rep X5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Gonna double abstain today. I know next to nothing about this character. I will say though that I'm very doubtful of her chances.

Predicting Travis to get around 23.38%.

Nominating Concept: New Zelda character x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Travis Touchdown from the No More Heroes series.

Predict the idea of Quote from Cave Story becoming a Mii Costume.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the hired-assassin otaku mood:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Abstain again. I know a little about him, other than he's a Marvelous rep. I think I'll be abstaining more often.

Quote costume: 56%

Noms: Hornet(Hollow Knight) x5

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Travis goes to the Super Bowl to see a Touchdown
Chance: 70%

He’s a popular character, nobody can deny that (a YouTuber named HMKilla even has Travis as one of his most wanted). Furthermore, it’s not like he’s irrelevant with NMH3 coming out. However, CERO might be a problem with how they prevented Mai from being a cameo.

Want: abstain
I’ve never played No More Heroes, so I can’t give a fair judgement. However, it would be hilarious to see him interacting with the Smash cast the way he *ahem* does, if you know what I mean.

Quote Costume: 50%

Noms: Sirfetch’d x5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
However, CERO might be a problem with how they prevented Mai from being a cameo.
CERO might be an issue for Travis? Can you explain on that because I dont know enough about the series but last I checked Travis isn't super revealing and is also a dude,and they seem less strict on mens nudity

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
CERO might be an issue for Travis? Can you explain on that because I dont know enough about the series but last I checked Travis isn't super revealing and is also a dude,and they seem less strict on mens nudity
I think they're referencing the fact that Travis literally slices his foes to pieces. Multiple times, in fact.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
*Insert touchdown joke here*

Chance: 55%

I have a good feeling he will be in this second pass. One thing I've noticed about the DLC characters for this game is that most of them have been outside of the usual circle of speculated characters. I mean, how many times have Joker and Terry been brought up before their reveal (or for Terry, before the SNK leak), and how many people were confident in Byleth being FP5 or Arms getting a rep despite having some content in the game already? What I'm getting at is that Travis fits that criteria of being just outside of the typical speculation circle, yet like Terry, he has merits of being included. I know he has been talked about more often these days, but I still wouldn't consider him within the circle of the same Crash, Dante, Geno, Sora, Shantae and other widely speculated characters.

How does he have merit? Being primarily on Nintendo consoles, being moderately requested, No More Heroes 3 coming out this year, having interesting moveset potential, and being the sort of character that one would not expect to fit in Smash, but once you think about it, he would work in Smash. That's the type of character that Sakurai seems to lean towards. He is probably one of our front-runners.

Want: 80%

Put this man in Smash now. He has a unique personality that could work in Smash via his taunts and how he plays. He is cocky and funny. He would add a different type of flavor to the roster and he is the type of character that you can't help but like and cheer for. He has interesting moveset potential as well as some wacky music and stage selection. His games are wacky, but it's the type of wacky that totally fits with Smash. The only reason this score isn't higher is because I don't have much experience with his games, but what's not to love about the content he will bring?

Prediction: Mii Costume Quote - 50%

Noms: Concept: Contra rep x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
A beam katana I bought on ebay
Chance: 40%
I'll be seriously suprised if NmH content doesn't happen in some form. The series seems mostly loyal to Nintendo and they welcome it with open arms as all the mainline games seem to be exclusive and them bringing NmH 3 to both E3 and TGA. Looking like they want this franchise to turn into another Bayonetta for them to me. Not to forget how much Suda51 himself wants it to happen.

Want: Abstaining

Quote costume: 58.46%
Alucard x5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
The master of bait-and-punish playstyles...

Chance: 65%. It's a good time to be a fan of Travis Touchdown. The guy has become an up-and-coming Smash request and got a huge boost in both relevance and popularity due to both Travis Strikes Again and No More Heroes III putting him back on the mark. From what I've heard, Suda51 and Sakurai have a good relationship as well. While I don't think he's a lock, Travis is easily somebody I could see on the roster and would be surprised to see miss Smash completely.

Want: 40%. I am not a fan of Travis Touchdown, though I don't mean this in the sense that I am a hater. Rather, from what I can gather, No More Heroes is the kind of game that a playthough might get me hooked on the concept, but I'd definitely need a hands-on experience in order to figure out what's the hype.

Since Paper Mario is getting locked in today, DLC Music Packs x 5. I think a Mii Costume for Quote is very likely, though I am curious why not just straight up rate Quote? 53.79%.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Travis Touchdown

Chance: 40% - As mentioned above, most of our DLC choices were unexpected outside the main discussion characters like Joker and Terry, and Travis fits this description perfectly. And in the mean time, he's been gaining plenty of positive momentum. The series has had close ties to Nintendo all of its' life, we're getting plenty of creator teases, and No More Heroes 3 is going to be a Switch exclusive. Honestly things could be lining up for Travis, both to promote the port, and to thank Marvelous for their positive company relationship (a positive relationship that even the Neptunia series of all things apparently references). Travis himself seems like a character Sakurai could have fun with, and since he's been developing a legacy since the Wii days, both the Historical potential for Sakurai and promotional potential for Nintendo look appealing. He's got a lot of competition from the heavy hitters but I think he has a good shot!

Want: 50% - Pretty neutral on Travis as a whole, would be perfectly fine with his inclusion but wouldn't be bouncing off of the walls with excitement either. But I do appriciate the Nintendo history and a lot of the fun ideas he could bring to the table. Furthermore, a No More Heroes x My Hero Academia fanfiction of all things introduced me to his character, and I think personality-wise he'd be a super fun addition to the roster!

Nominations:
Concept: Civilization series stage with music (Standalone) x5

Predictions:
Mii Costume: Quote - 54.87%

Top Bottom