• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Satisfaction Ratings

Ice Climbers: 5%

- Meh. I hardly used them in Melee.

Pokemon Trainer: 50%

- Rather indifferent. It’s cool to see Ivysaur and Squirtle back, though. Female Trainer is also a nice bonus.

Ridley: 1%

- I never cared for him but his fanbase was rewarded for their patience.

Snake: 20%

- Meh.

Wolf: 15%

- Meh. His new design looks cool, though.

Daisy: 40%

- Well, his dedicated fans were rewarded.

Pichu: 1%

- I see its gimmick is still there...

Inkling: 7%

- Meh. Nice use of their arsenal and ink gimmick.

Y. Link: 8%

- Meh. I hope he’s not too much like Toon Link.

No Cuts: 0%

- All the fat is back with even extra fat it just feels unhealthy. I was hoping they’d cut down on the fat and we got the complete opposite of that. Ganondorf looks cool and Zelda looks cute, I guess.
I’m taking it this game is a day one purchase for you, yes?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm just going to give 100 to everyone. It's great to have every veteran in the game. Inklings and Ridley look great and I'm especially happy to finally have Ridley and this is exactly how I wanted Daisy in the game.

Also want to give special mention to Zelda and Ganondorf. They're some of the most hype worthy things in the direct for me. Rivaling even Ridley

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I didn't bother watching E3 because, judging from how Smash 4 turned out, I assumed the series was headed in a direction that wouldn't appeal to me, that I'd no longer be the target audience. But then I checked the website today and boy you wouldn't believed how quickly I changed my tune.

Ice Climbers: 100%

GOOD. Never remove retro reps again, that scared me last time.

Pichu: 10%

Not amazing when I think about its own merits, but I realized I have a soft-spot for it due to Melee nostalgia.

Young Link: 85%

I doubted there'd be many changes to the Zelda cast. Now that I've seen them, having Young Link actually helps the franchise as a whole feel more fully represented. And thank god everyone didn't get a huge BoTW overhaul.

Pokemon Trainer: 90%

I strongly prefer some of the core mechanics of Pokemon and the Trainer itself be represented than Charizard going solo just because he's popular.

Snake: 90%

Kills the pretty ridiculous things people say about Konami.

Wolf: 80%

An extra villain is good.

Inkling: 1%

I'm not a Splatoon person.

Daisy?: 100%

jesuss I didn't believe it could even be close to happening but it did and I'm so hyped I don't even care if she's a clone she's exactly the type of Nintendo character I support because I actually recognize her from years of playing Mario Party. Strikers, Kart, and other spin-offs back in the day, and it's just so satisfying, after being passed over three times, to finally able to play as her as on the battlefield.

RIDLEY!?!?: 100%

Absolute legendary moment.

No Cuts: 100%

I got my bare minimum roster like I wished for.

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr::4dk::4diddy::4yoshi::4wario2::4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4fox::4kirby::4metaknight::4dedede::4samus::4zss::4falcon::4ness::4lucas::popo::4marth::4gaw::4pit::4olimar::4rob::4villager::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu:

And Lucas and Mewtwo are on the base roster. I'm not getting my most-wanteds, but this is as good as it realistically gets for me, so I'm getting this one for sure.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Here are some of my thoughts:
Ice Climbers: 80%
Glad for their fans but never really was a fan of them myself. They did remove chain grabs and wobbling though.
Pokemon Trainer: 100%
Squirtle and Ivysaur look fantastic and they corrected all of the Pokemon Trainer's major design flaws, I can't wait to try them out again in person
Young Link: 20%
Least liked veteran, guess it's just to say they have everyone back. Not a fan.
Pichu: 50%
I find the new design of this character great although I wasn't a fan of them originally, I might pick them up because of some of their properties.
Wolf: 80%
Looks a like a fun character to try out, he definitely looks imposing and on the mark. He is much better visually than last time, and it looks like his moves have changed.
Snake: 100%
Fantastic return to the series, so glad for his other fans and he seems like a blast.
Inkling: 100%
Looks like a fun and unique character: Resource management, movement options, debuff capabilities, diverse move sets. Looks very fun but possibly very strong
Ridley: 100%
My most wanted character, and he breathes of intensity. His aerials look pretty good, his specials are pretty good and his visual design is spectacular. Some think he looks awkward scaled down but I don't mind at all, he was executed really well.
It feels whole to have a roster with all of the smash characters throughout it's history, and most of these characters were good inclusions into the cast to help diversify and strengthen the roster.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Im going to be that guy and leave a 100% for everything. The fact that every character is back shows the true dedication Sakurai has to his work, and I couldnt be happier (Well, I could, but id be pretty much nitpicking)

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Just gonna make it easy and give 100% satisfaction to everything.

It's probably the hype talking, but I am so excited for everyone coming back! I didn't play Young Link, Wolf, IC or Snake but I know they have their fans and so I'm happy that their happy. I'm so excited for Inkling and gimmickless Pokemon Trainer, and Pichu is my favorite Smash character and I never thought this day would come.

Great day to be a Smash fan.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Satisfactions:
Snake: 100% - "Kept you waiting, huh?"
Pichu: 75% - Not someone I ever expected to come back, but I love how adorable the little guy is in this game. Might not be one of my favourite Smash Fighters, but I'd happily play Pichu again just to see the little guy in action.
Ice Climbers: 80% - They were definitely coming back, it's no surprise given how they're so connected to Smash Bros at this point. I'm just glad they're back.
Young Link: 50% - Like Pichu, not one I expected, but not really someone I wanted back all that much. A little disappointed he doesn't have more influence from Majora's Mask, but that'd probably make him clunky to play - Maybe a Fierce Deity Final Smash? (I'm gonna be disappointed if that's not YL's Final Smash, aren't I?)
Wolf: 85% - Like the ICs, it was only a matter of time until Wolf rejoined the roster.
Pokémon Trainer, Ivysaur and Squirtle - 65% - Never expected these guys coming back at all. Love the fact that you can swap between Red and Leaf as the Pokémon Trainer. Not my favourite addition, but I'm pleased for their fans.
Daisy: 7.8/100 where's the WAAAAAAAA - But in all seriousness: 70% - Although I never really wanted Daisy since I want Waluigi when it comes to Mario newcomers, I actually like her spunky attitude in this game. I'll probably end up playing her more than I would Peach, so I hope she's got enough to make herself an interesting Echo Fighter.
Inklings: 90% - They look to be an ink-credibly fun fighter in this game.
: 10000000% - The biggest fan-request by far, and he looks awesome, albeit probably gonna be nerfed pretty hard in the final release build. One of my most wanted, and I'm glad that us Space Pirates finally got our dream at long last after 17 years.
Absolutely No Cuts: 100% - With no cuts outside of Assist Trophy disconfirmations like Takamaru (R.I.P) and Bomberman, this game deserves it's moniker as one of the most ambitious crossovers ever.
Final Satisfaction: 100% This game is worthy of it's "Ultimate" sub-title. LITERALLY Everyone, Ridley and the Inklings as newcomers alongside Daisy as an Echo Fighter... At this point, any other newcomer reveal would just be the cherry on the cake to me. I'm super excited for this game Now that I actually had a good night's sleep unlike yesterday...

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to join the "100% for absolutely everything" crowd. Ridley alone would carry everything else into god-tier levels of hype

D

Deleted member

Ice Climbers: 70%
A character I've never really cared for but I'm glad they removed the broken parts of the grab. Also, I'm a huge fan of the Down Smash change. Only hitting on one side per climber is a super nice touch, even if it is a nerf.

Pokemon Trainer: 90%
I loved Squirtle and Ivysaur back in Brawl and was sad to see them cut in 4. No idea if they'll be good or not though but the new animations look clean. Only issue is that you're forced to switch when you die. I can live with the lack of a true down b even if I would prefer it to somehow be implemented alongside the Pokemon switch, but Sakurai can't just tell me that they removed stamina to avoid punishing you for sticking with your main and then forcing me to switch when I die. Also, where's the ability to switch to either of the other two inactive Pokemon instead of just being in a set order? It's the little things that bring this down to 90%.

Young Link: 0%
Never cared for Young Link. Maybe I would if I ever played a game he appeared in (aside from Melee), but the only young version of Link I need is Toon Link.

Pichu: 100%
My most wanted veteran. I love him and the new meter + seemingly higher stun on electric moves gives me hope he won't be terrible. That last part might just be placebo from the 20 second trailer on the website though. Edit: Meter is misinformation, ignore. Stun could be a thing unless it's a random trip chance which still could have its uses depending on the probability.

Wolf: 50%
I like him but his new look is super ugly imo.

Snake: 70%
Never was a fan of Metal Gear but Snake was always fun to play in Brawl.

Inkling: 90%
I'm super into Splatoon 2. I love Inklings but I can't help but be disappointed that they don't really spread ink on the stage. I get that there could be balance issues associated with it but even if it was purely aesthetic or just quickened the ink refill rate this score would be 100%.

Daisy: 0%
I know she took barely any time to create and that her fans are happy but I could not care less about a new character. Her reveal was so nonchalant and lackluster too, especially when compared to what Lucina and Dark Pit got back in 4.

Ridley: 90%
Stoked that everybody's favorite purple space dragon is finally here. The leak took out some of my hype for it, but my main issue is that one part when they had him stand up. He looks so creepy when standing upright it's taking away from my enjoyment.

No Cuts: 98%
Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Pichu are the highlights for me, on top of the fact that none of my more "risky" favorites like Dark Pit, Lucina, Corrin, and Greninja are back. I took 1% off because it means less newcomers, but that's not a huge issue since I expect us to get 5+ DLC fighters to fill out the roster. The other 1% is the fact that the smaller newcomer lineup makes it more likely we get Echoes of characters like Dixie that I really don't want to be shafted out of an original moveset. I could live with her being a Lucas-esque semi clone though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Lads, it's 100% everywhere. Even Young Link who I thought was replaced by Toon Link a long time ago. Egg on my face. It feels great that everyone gets to duke it out at least one time for a decade. A true Smash tribute.

Adding Ridley? Poetic. The most requested first party character this past decade after the entire Smash Bros. cast? Hmmmm Sakurai planned this amazingly.

Inkling were pretty much a guarantee but they earned their spot. Splatoon is their biggest new IP since Animal Crossing/Pikmin. No complaints.

Thank you, Sakurai.

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
I'm giving 100% to all since everyone is back, which is something that I never thought would happen but dreamed of. This already feels like the ultimate Smash game.

Also, Ridley looks awesome; looks like all of those "too big" arguments (including my own) have been rendered completely moot. Once again, Sakurai has impressed me and many others with making a seemingly impossible character work extremely well in Smash. Sometimes, it's good to be wrong.

I have no qualms with Daisy; I'm not surprised that she ended up being an Echo Fighter and she seems cool. Certainly underestimated the chances of a popular character becoming an easy addition into Smash. Also, a very vocal few are finally satisfied, which means that there should be a bit less conflict in the Smash community.

The Inklings were executed quite well despite it seeming rather difficult to implement all of the core mechanics of Splatoon into one character.

Sakurai, you have outdone yourself yet again. For that, I thank you so immensely.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Might put separate ratings later, but for now, I'll sum most of it up in a few scores as possible.

Returning Veterans:

Snake: 80%- Other than playing Brawl, I have 0 connection to Snake, but I think he's just so cool and breaks a lot of boundaries when it comes to Smash. While Ridley stole the spotlight, Snake was definitely one of those "never ever" characters after his odd cut from Smash 4 and the Konami controversy.

Pokemon Trainer: 90%- I'm super hyped for Pokemon Trainer, they are one of my favorites. While I'm still not able to exactly "play as" the Trainer and pretty much just control Pokemon, I'll take what I can get. Also, those are some nice looking buffs. It's a missed opportunity to not include full model swaps for other regions' trainers, that would've been great for some extra gen representation.

Ice Climbers: 50%- While I initially missed them in Smash 4, I quickly got over it. I don't care that much about them tbh, and they were very expected so not a real shocker.

Wolf: 10%- I couldn't care less about Star Fox, as a franchise it's been continuing to fall flat on its face for the past few decades now. I'm happy for Wolf's fans though, and I feel like his cut from Smash 4 wasn't deserved. I'm "fine" with him but if I had the choice I'd put the dev time into something else in a heartbeat.

Pichu: 0%- Now this is where I start having real gripes with Smash Ultimate. I get it, when you bring back everyone, you have to bring back everyone. Even the joke characters who were never meant to be taken seriously. I just feel like this is hinting at a direction for the franchise to prioritize absolutely no cuts, which I think is very impractical in the long run. Even if this is only for the "Ultimate" Smash that is supposed to be a celebration of the franchise and potentially Sakurai's last game, how would you follow up? There has to be fat cut at some point to allow room for growth. Now Pichu fans will complain that he was brought back only to be cut. Worse yet, it'll plague speculation and discussion with "well even Pichu can make it back" and "no cuts!". This'll be a nuisance.

Young Link: 0%- Pretty much the same thing as Pichu. Toon Link carried on Yink's moveset and childish nature. Yink only existed to rep OoT/MM. Now we have Ganon representing OoT (a much-needed change) while Yink is there like "I'm here too!". Also, 3 Links. Clone this and clone that, but we know that Yink and Tink are visually and mechanically different enough to qualify under the game's new label for clones: Echo Fighters. Yink and Pichu feel like filling a quota rather than worthwhile additions.

Daisy: 50%- One of the best choices for a Mario rep. The core of the franchise's reps has been established since Melee and now it's more of scraping the bottom of the barrel. RPG characters are too obscure/irrelevant. Captain Toad's biggest benefit for inclusion, his game, I didn't like that much, so that on top of Toad's meh-ness really kills him as a potential newcomer (for me). Waluigi, oh Waluigi. This first half of 2018 in the Nintendo community had Pokemon fans asking "where's muh Pokemon news" on every Nintendo post/video while everybody else asked, "where's Waluigi in Smash, he totally deserves it.". That's a whole nother conversation for another day, but the point is that I'm kinda glad Waluigi didn't make it in. Originally I was sorta fine with him until his existence just became so... annoying. To get back to the main topic: I'm fine with Daisy because she took very little development resources and actually isn't too bad of a Mario rep compared to the other options (for me).

Inklings: 75%- They look fun. I like the ink managing mechanic. Wish they had a few alts from Splatoon 2 though, the green Inkling Boy on the cover of 2 is an Inkling design that I actually really like. I haven't gotten into Splatoon yet, but I respect the Inklings' inclusion and I'm happy for them and their fans.

Ridley: 80%- Never really a "big" (heh) Ridley supporter but I respect the "never ever" character finally making it in. As Sakurai said it would, his appearance looks a bit odd though. I accepted for a while that Ridley wasn't happening and those reasons Sakurai gave for not including him before are still present in Ultimate, so I'm not that invested in him myself.

Overall: I'm happy for the fans. This Smash is obviously supposed to be a love letter to Smash fans themselves. While that's all fine and good, it raises some concerns for the future of the franchise. How can you top a game which has a name that means "final", "apex", and basically, "nothing better". You can't have the same shock of everyone returning for every new entry, and space is needed for growth if we want to get the games at reasonable intervals. Some characters that are pretty low-tier when it comes to significance are being immortalized by this notion of "no cuts", and I feel like that's a bit disrespectful to potential newcomers and overall impractical for the series. Will there be a reboot? Will we have to deal with a potential reset of content? That won't go over well, and Smash Ultimate is only adding fuel to the fire when it comes to setting up for disappointment. I'm very satisfied with this Smash and I'm excited for it, it just makes me worried for the series' future.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Having all but completely given up on the character's chances to get in Smash, this was a total, joyful shock to me. And the way the character was handled seems to legitimatley be the result of Sakurai spending his time rethinking the character and working hard to finally bring him into Smash. And I can say it was quite successful. His design works nicely with his proportions and is creepy as hell. It's one of the best ways I can picture him being implemented into Smash. Sakurai changed his mind alright. He listened to the fan's years of calls, thought it over once again, and finally found a way to make him work, and made sure he worked. The magnificent man, he did it.

Oh, and of course, this can finally bury every single "too big" or "bad proportions" argument deep into the grave. For good. Maybe not everyone's satisfied with how he looks, but a lot of people are. It's gonna boil down to opinion at this point, and that's fine. Fact of matter is, Ridley is in Smash now. Sakurai saw that through, and he works. There's no arguments left to suggest or enforce that Ridley won't be getting in anymore, and nothing can be said to bring down his supporters anymore. It's over.

I still don't think there was much reason most of could've had to think his odds of getting into this upcoming Smash game were better than not, but hey, I think that also made it all that much more of a surprise. A great surprise, at that. I'm completely satisfied with Ridley so far, and I really look forward to playing this calculating yet vicious blood knight of a space dragon when the game comes out.

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!: 100%

I haven't had much experience with Metal Gear, but Snake being cut was one of the things that left a notiecable mark on Smash 4's roster for me. Something felt missing without him. And now that he's back, it's great. The character is great, he plays great, and the codecs were freaking amazing. Let's hope those comes back, too!

Daisy: 50%

Eh, was never that much of a supporter for her, and I didn't really want her to be just a Peach clone, either. Given how echo fighters seem to differ from clones in some regards, however, I mind it less.

Inklings: 100%

Even though I haven't gotten in the Splatoon franchise just yet (aiming to get Splatoon 2 soon, since I hear it outclasses the original with what multiplayer and online content it has to offer by this point), Splatoon has firmly established itself as a great and successful new IP of Nintendo's in the last few years, and I think the Inklings have earned their place in Smash Bros. So I'm glad to see 'em in this one.

Young Link: 60%

Toon Link is the one that I care dearly about. That said, the fact that all three Links could be on the same roster this time is something I ultimately turned out to be okay with now that it's reality. I probably won't play him much, but I will be sure to have him and TL duke it out, now that such a showdown is finally possible.

Pichu: 95%

I actually really wanted the little guy to come back. If not for the fact that Ridley got in, and the fact that every single veteran in Smash history also returned to being playable in this game, this would've been the biggest shock to me thus far. Here's hoping he's not too much of a joke character this time, eh? In any case, I always had a soft spot for Pichu, so I'll be happy with his return no matter what. Come to think of it, this may be considered a different Pichu (yeah, I'm a believer of the theory that Brawl and Smash 4's Pikachu is Melee's Pichu, only evolved :p).

Even if I never was the biggest Ice Climbers player, much like Snake, something felt sorely lacking on teh Smash roster without them. They left a gaping hole in the roster that only they could refill. Never seriously doubted they would return, but that doesn't make said return any less satisfying.

Squirtle: 100%

I really missed Squirtle. Perhaps not as much as Ivysaur, but leaving only one of the Pokemon Trainer's team out while keeping the other two would've felt completely wrong. I may prefer Ivy, but Squirtle deserved to return just as much Ivysaur.

Ivysaur: 100%

By far my favorite of all of Pokemon Trainer's three Pokemon. I wanted him/her and Squirtle to return so badly, but never thought it possible. To see Ivy actually returning, along with Squirtle, left me overjoyed, in all honesty.

Pokemon Trainer: 60%

Mostly because I didn't want the transformation mechanic to come back, period. Sounds like they've got a much better handle on it this time, though, so I can live with it.

Wolf: 95%

Not as attached to him as I am to some of the other returning veterans, but aside from being a clone (not even that similar to Fox or Falco, at that) I never really understood why he was cut in the first place, nor why he never became DLC for 4. So it's good to see him back!

I can't even complain about Dark Pit or Lucina. Sakurai and the other devs went above and beyond to do something for the fans that I wasn't sure could've happened, unless the game was a port. It's not a port indeed, but yet, everyone, from Luigified clones, to near-complete clones, to characters already cut from the franchise, and even to every last third party character, somehow got brought back anyway. And keeping it short and simple, that is amazing.

So far, even with the knowledge that, the base game at least, won't have many newcomers this time, I think this is the Smash I'm most hyped for yet. And 4 was seriously hype for me. I'm very satisfied with what we know about the roster so far. Nothing could ruin this for me at this point. I'm very happy.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Snake Satisfaction: 90% - I never knew just how much I missed Snake until he was gone, but having the soldier of fortune back to brawl with all these new fighters makes me extremely happy. That said, I don't know how I feel about his new Final Smash.

Ice Climber Satisfaction: 100% - I really missed these guys! So happy to see the Climbers make a comeback!

Wolf Satisfaction: 85% - Wolf was missed, but not as much as others. That said, he looks fantastic. The redesign is wonderful.

Pokémon Trainer Satisfaction: 100% - I was a Pokémon Trainer main in Brawl, and with the changes (and the female trainer!) I'm happy they are making a comeback.

Young Link Satisfaction: 25% - I personally feel he's redundant with Toon Link, but I know some fans will be happy.

Pichu Satisfaction: 45% - Never really was a fan of Pichu in Smash, but it's pretty cool to see him return. A bit of a shock (haha).

Inkling Satisfaction: 100% - My most wanted newcomer, and they represent their franchise perfectly. Awesome.

Daisy Satisfaction: 90% - Daisy is my favorite Mario princess, and I never actually was a big fan of the whole "Sports spinoff" representation idea. Glad to see the spunky princess get some love!

Ridley Satisfaction: 70% - Never was a fan of Ridley, but seeing him makes me happy for the fans who've waited for him so long. He looks disgusting and monstrous - which fits him perfectly.

No cuts satisfaction: 70% - I feel like Young Link is completely redundant, but I can't say the fact every fighter is back makes me unhappy.

D

Deleted member

100% Across the board
I feel the marketing for the game(being every character and stage((kinda)) are back) is brilliant for those that dont want to go back to previous iteration.
Sure there are a few things i wish was change in regards to clones and echoes.
-I get echo characters are model swaps, but i feel pichu and young link should've been echos
- No changes to lucina and dark pit at all(even with like very small thibgs like Lucinas stance)
- Alph as an alt and not an echo.
But otherwise I think this is a fantastic and a great way to showcase the smash legacy for over 20 years to the fans of the series.Also anyone who complains at this point are just looking for things to complain about.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Satisfaction

To be honest my second most wanted character overall, the adorable little duo were among my favorites in Melee and Brawl, and while there wasn't much reason to doubt their return here I'm extremely happy they're back regardless. Really hated to see them go last game, can't wait to use them again!

Wolf: 100%

I wanted him back as well, but kind of more for his fans? I didn't use him a lot in Brawl personally, I like Fox and Falco much more. But he shouldn't have been removed to begin with. I generally don't like when the more important and popular fighters get removed after they're added, and he's no exception. He belongs in Smash and I'm glad he's back in.

I've gone back and forth on him a few times for varying reasons but in the end I threw them out the window and realized I really wanted him back. I like third parties and he's a cool one, and he was really fun to play as. And I wanted Konami back on board, so there we go. It's going to be fun watching him fight the newer characters, especially other third parties.

Pokémon Trainer: 80%

Here's where I have a little more mixed opinions! I completely hated the Trainer's gimmick in Brawl and would have liked Ivysaur and Squirtle back, but as separate characters. And still kind of would have preferred that, honestly. That said, my main reason for my distaste (stamina) is thankfully gone, so that already makes me like it a lot more than their Brawl inclusion. And at least he seems to be the only transformation character this time. :p

Pichu: 70%

I said on his day I'd accept his return if we somehow got every other veteran back too (except Young Link, Oops) and well...here we are! I hated him in Melee and I don't expect to like him any more this time around, but admittedly it's kind of cool having the whole gang back together and I'm happy for his fans. At the very least, I'll have fun fighting him.

Yeah, definitely the one I'm most mixed on. I'll still give him a decent score since I did like playing as him in Melee at least, and once again I think everyone showing up is overall pretty cool. He just feels redundant compared to every other character when Toon Link already exists. He's not an echo fighter at least so he'll probably be different enough from the other two.

No Cuts from 4: 100%

Are there characters I probably wouldn't have missed if we lost them? Yep. Did I particularly want any of them out? Nope. I wanted as few cuts as possible and I'm happy to get my wish. Smash 4 for the most part had IMO an excellent cast and apart from the clones pretty much everyone brought something different to the table that I wouldn't have wanted to be removed, regardless of how much I like using them. Even the clones really aren't that bad, and every character has their fans. I think I said this yesterday, but the roster is also so large with everyone in that I'm completely fine with there probably being less newcomers this time around. I'm also happy they decided to confirm everyone immediately. Now we don't have to worry about losing our favorite fighters and can just focus on waiting for the remaining newcomers.

Inkling: 100%

With how big Splatoon already is, Inklings were basically necessary this time around. I do enjoy the games and they seem like a very unique and fun character so yeah, happy to have them on board. Well deserved.

Daisy: 30%

Only reveal I don't care much about. I like Daisy alright as a character but I never had much interest in her as a fighter, so eh. She's not the worst clone choice they could have added at least, and I like Peach enough so knowing me I'll probably end up using her sometimes anyway. Congrats to her fans.

It happened. After all this time it finally happened. And I'm so happy. I love Ridley, he's been one of my most wanted for a long time. But last game made me lose hope on ever seeing him pretty much. I honestly would have given him a 0.5% chance if I had been here on his day. I had no faith until that leak showed up, and even then I wasn't too sure. So when he finally appeared I was absolutely thrilled. I think they did an excellent job with him and I couldn't ask for more here. Glad this is finally over and am very excited to get a chance to fight as the giant dragon.

Overall a great showing and I'm very much looking forward to seeing more of the game!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
:icsmelee:: 100%
The Climbers are back, baby! It was wrong not having them in, and I'm glad to see them again.

:pichumelee:: 100%
Not gonna lie, I'm more excited for Pichu than I thought I would be. Perfect joke character, and he's cute as a button as always.

:younglinkmelee:: 90%
I'm surprised to see him, but not unpleasantly so. That said, I'm cool with just having Toon Link too, so I wouldn't have missed him.

:snake:: 85%
I have no personal investment with the character, but thank god regardless. He was sorely missed and I'm beyond hyped for his new codecs.

:pt:: 100%
I never thought he'd be back, but here we are. Thank god for the female version too.

:ivysaur:: 100%
My favorite of the three, and the veteran I thought least likely to return besides Young Link. He's also free from fatigue!! I'm very, very happy he's here.

:squirtle:: 100%
I really enjoy Squirtle too, and I'm glad to see him.

:wolf:: 100%
MY BRAWL BOY IS BACK, BABY!! He looks so, so good, and I can't wait to try him out!!

Daisy: 100%
Honestly, much happier with it than I ever expected to be. Since she's not a unique character, I'm happy. I enjoy playing Peach, and I've always used Daisy's colors since I like yellow, so I'm happy to try her out.

PRAISE BE UNTO SAKURAI. I admit that his design isn't my ideal, but his Meta Ridley alt is perfect, so I don't really care. He doesn't have as many references to his games as I was hoping, but he's in the game so I'm not complaining. I'm glad he's not slow, and I'm super excited to try him out.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
:snake: 58%: I was never a huge fan of him, didn't think he belonged in Smash. He's a bit wonky to use, but for what he is, they did a good job.

:popo: 85%: I was never a big fan of them either, and the wobbles made me actively dislike them. They look cooler this time around, and nerfing of chain grabs (from Smash 4) and specifically of certain IC grab aspects makes them more appealing to me. They aren't intended to be a grappler fighter, and now they will behave more as intended, and so I like their inclusion more as a result.

:wolf:100%: Glad to see him back, now I'm just waiting to find out how he's changed aside from aesthetics (which look good!)

:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard::pt:90%: I was kinda hoping they'd find a way to do switching without taking up a special move. But I like Ivysaur and Squirtle better than Charizard, so it's cool. Hope they buffed the other two enough to make them more usable. Bullet Seed is back... although it seems maybe to have more range?

:younglinkmelee: 30%: We'll see how he's changed and how he compares to Toon Link, but he feels awfully redundant as an inclusion especially since he appears to still be using arrows/boomerang/bombs/spin attack.

:pichumelee: 40%: I didn't see a need for this. But at least he's more unique. Not sure how they plan on balancing him, but if there's an argument for a character just should be bad and low tier, Pichu is the one for it. It doesn't make sense for his character (a weaker Pikachu) to be stronger even with the self-damage, and he's not supposed to be super quick like Sonic to make that the compensating factor (he could be faster than Pikachu, but not fast enough to make up for the downsides).

Inklings 80%: They look potentially interesting, but I'm not like super hype for them.

Daisy 70%: Curious to find out how she differs from Peach, but explicitly acknowledging her as just clone material is fine. It reduces the feeling that they would be spending a lot of resources on her. I hope she has that annoying/amusing "DAISY!" yell from Mario Kart for one of her taunts or something.

Ridley 99%: On the one hand, he's completely new and looks a little more wonky to use than the Inklings (mastery of those will require ink management, but standard moves don't seem that difficult to use), but I'm a little worried maybe he won't be that good based off the footage from E3... He looks cool and the moveset looks pretty cool. He looks so... brutal.

No cuts 88%: To be honest... I didn't want everyone back. I didn't want to see Bayonetta back. Or, to a lesser extent, some of the clones. I was more indifferent to Cloud. Either way, I wanted Bayonetta and Cloud nerfed a lot. Based on MKLeo's performance... maybe they didn't nerf her enough. We'll see in the final build though. And I don't see the point of bringing back Pichu or especially Young Link. On the other hand, I didn't want to see Mega Man cut, or WFT (who was one of the more vulnerable non-clones) and I enjoy some of the characters returning. So overall, it's a pretty good thing.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Inkling satisfaction: 85%
Pretty cool. I'm glad that they're not doing the whole "every single move has to be directly based off of something in the game" thing and just letting them use regular melee attacks for some moves. I thought they'd be really gimmicky, like pretty much all of the newcomers in Smash 4 were, but the ink mechanic looks cool and they look like they'll be fun to play as.

Ice Climbers satisfaction: 70%
At first, I was very upset that the bane of my existence came back, but then I saw that Nana doesn't grab and I was immediately relieved.

Pokémon Trainer satisfaction: 100%
Again, initially quite upset, but I was fine after Sakurai said they can switch on the fly and there's no fatigue mechanic. I'm so hyped to play as Squirtle again! He was so fun in Brawl.

Snake satisfaction: 100%
RAIDEN HYPE TRAIN RIDES AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pichu satisfaction: 35%
It doesn't look like he'll be any better, and I never cared, so I can't be too excited.

Young Link satisfaction: 50%
I'm interested in seeing how he'll differ from Toon Link.

Wolf satisfaction: 100%
My boy is back! He's actually back! And he's just like I remember!

Not cuts satisfaction: 50%
Glad no one I liked got cut, but I'm disappointed that we still have 6 Fire Emblems and 3 Kid Icaruses.

Daisy satisfaction: 50%
Eh. She's an echo, which means she won't take away from Waluigi's chances in Smash 6, so that's good at least.

Ridley satisfaction: 85%
He looks really cool, both aesthetically and gameplay-wise.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Considering the upcoming Overrated/Underrated ratings, I was thinking...should we rate potential Echo Fighters under a separate term?

After all, the criteria for them seems to be very different than that of regular fighters, and we still aren't quite sure what direction the devs are doing in with them. Not only that, but certain characters--Dixie Kong, Isabelle, etc.--could have an argument for being either a distinct newcomer or an echo, and I'd imagine different people have different feelings about either potential outcome.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Snake Satisfaction: 95% - I was so sad when he was cut in Smash 4, he was never one of my mains, but still one of my go-to characters for when I just wanted to have fun and mess around with friends. He looks great now, the sound effects for his moves really pack a punch, and I'm so happy that David Hayter is back to voice him.

Ice Climber Satisfaction: 75% - I never really cared for ICs, but they do look good now. No more grab shenanigans as Nana is inactive during grabs, and they're generally just so much more expressive.

Wolf Satisfaction: 80% - Happy to have him back, he was another very unfortunate casualty of Smash 4, we really need as many villains as we can get. I think his new model looks a bit weird though, especially around the snout area, I like the design itself, but the model could use some touching up imo.

Pokemon Trainer Satisfaction: 75% - I little bit conflicted on this one, I really liked that you could play as solo Charizard before, but Ivysaur was always my favorite of the bunch, but I still won't be able to play solo Ivysaur, so it's hard to gauge whether the sacrifice is worth it. Still, they did remove the stamina penalty which is a huge plus, I just wish it didn't switch out on death so we could just choose to play as who we want to. I love the Leaf alt though, and both Ivysaur and Squirtle look so good in the new style.

Young Link Satisfaction: 60% - He looks good, but he was never someone I could get super hype for, even as a huge fan of Majora's Mask.

Pichu Satisfaction: 95% - I really did not expect to be so happy to see Pichu come back, but as soon as he popped up on screen I just got a huge smile on my face (even though I was nervous as ****). Something about this underdog character who was counted out forever coming back just really hammers home this "Everyone is here!" concept, and he looks so happy and expressive too! I kinda hope he's still awful, because bodying your friends with him was the charm of the character.

Inkling Satisfaction: 50% - I didn't really care for them when they were first revealed, and I still don't, it's alright that they're here and I don't hate them either, but Splatoon in general doesn't really do much for me. At least them being able to splatter ink all over characters is funny.

Daisy Satisfaction: 50% - I'm not really sure how to react to her, like, it's alright I guess? Contrary to others I like that we're getting these easy clone characters (although people seem much more willing to accept it now that they have their own classification), Daisy just isn't someone I care enough about to have an opinion on either way. The most I can say about her inclusion is that it's hilarious when you think about the amount of **** Memoryman3 got (although it was still kind of deserves as he's completely mad).

Ridley Satisfaction: 100% - Contrary to what most people probably expect from a Ridley fanboy like myself this score was far from a given. The first step was always to get him in the game, but the second step was almost just as crucial, and that was how they implemented him. There were a lot of things that could go wrong with Ridley, they could have given him a bad design, made him have some sort of stupid size gimmick, or just misunderstood the character's personality, luckily none of those happened, instead they made perfection. His design is an amalgation of his Super, Zero Mission and Other M designs and it works incredibly well, they have really focused a lot on his cruel nature to the point that it's what really sets him apart from the rest of the cast, and his size is just right. I was quite worried that the day he'd finally happen that Sakurai might have made a mess of him as I didn't agree with his assessment of Ridley's character previously, but instead he absolutely nailed it, he just kept things simple yet effective, and I'm so grateful for that.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Character satisfaction
I can't gush enough about this, I'm really happy with how he was handled. The horror inspiration behind his introduction scene, the emphasis on his relationship with Samus, his sadistic nature and dark humor coming through when playing with Mario's hat, his design taking inspiration from his other appearances and Xenomorphs, and of course his moveset emphasizing his brutality and fierce nature. It was what I was hoping for with the character and Sakurai more then delivered with him. He's easily the character I'm most excited about and I can't wait to play as him.

Daisy: 60%
I did like her in the Mario Party games as my sister loved playing as her and that attached her to some of my fondest memories, but other then that she was just there for me. So her being included I'm pretty ambivalent about, but I am happy for her fans who campaigned for her.

Inklings: 70%
I'm not as excited about them as I don't have as much attachment to Splatoon, but they look great and their gameplay seems like it'll be fun.

Snake: 75%
Again, not a character I'm too attached to, but it's great to see him and he does look as fun as he did back in Brawl.

IC: 65%
It's nice to see them back after mechanical issues kept them out last time, but other then that I'm ambivalent on them.

Young Link: 50%
The character I'm most ambivalent about as he stands out less compared to the others due to the other Links being present. He's likely going to be at least somewhat differen, so moveset-wise I don't think it'll be that much of an issue, but as it is now I don't really care either way for him.

Pichu: 65%
Not as invested in them, but nonetheless it is good to see this cute little guy back.

PT: 80%
On the one hand, I got used to Charizard being his own character, so having him put back into PT is a bit disappointing. However, how they brought back PT does more then make up for it. PT as a whole being back means Squirtle was brought back alongside them, and since that was my first starter in the series, so I'm very happy to see him again. Additionally, they tweaked him so that each Pokémon stands on their own without being tethered by their mechanic, and they added Leaf to him, which is nice since she was absent since FRLG. Those little changes I felt make the character stronger as each of his parts are more well rounded, and overall I'm satisfied with the implementation.

Wolf: 90%
He was one of my mains in Brawl, so I'm glad he returned just for that. The changes to his design along with the more lively tweaks like his smug smile also help since it allows his character to shine through a lot better then previously. I look forward to seeing more of the character in the future.

No Cuts: 99%
I will miss not getting as many newcomers as before, but I feel the trade-off is worth it since we not only get all veterans back, we get them in revised forms that I feel so far are stronger then previously. It's a direction I feel has been done very well so far, and I'm glad they went with it for this game.

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Ridley

Satisfaction - 90%

I've never been a huge Ridley fan myself, but I think he was implemented in the absolute best way possible. Everything about him seems to hold extremely true to his character, from his absolutely brutal gameplay, to his down right repulsive design. I'm super happy for his fans, who've waited decades for this moment.

Inkling

Satisfaction - 95%

Inklings were my most wanted newcomer in Smash 5, and I thought they were implemented fantastically. All the different weapons, skins, the ink mechanic where opponents are slowed in your ink / take more damage when covered in your ink, its all great. Super glad to see Sakurai do them justice.

Abstaining on everyone else. Pretty much most of my opinions on them boil down to "That's great, but I don't really care a whole ton."

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm just going to give 100% to everything.

I'm very happy about the direction they're taking with this Smash. I really like how all the characters are returning, even if they were characters I never really played in the previous games. Maybe this will be a good chance to give some of them a try.

I was always super excited for Inklings since I love Splatoon so much, so getting to see them in action was my favorite thing they showed. They look super fun to play, and I love their alternate costumes.

Pichu was an exciting return for me personally because I loved to play him when I was a kid, and now that I'm aware of his self-damaging gimmick I can take pride in beating all my friends with arguably the worst character.

I expected Ice Climbers to return, so I wasn't too surprised when I saw them. They're great characters, so it's good to see them back.

Young Link was pretty cool to see standing alongside Toon Link. Hopefully they feel different enough from each other. It already looks like Toon Link has a new Forward Smash to help differentiate him.

Seeing Pokemon Trainer was also very cool since it seemed Transformations weren't coming back. Glad to see they made it work. I like how more generations are also represented this time around.

Wolf is awesome. Even though I don't care for him too much, I know a lot of his fans are happy to see him back.

Snake was pretty amazing to see come back. I never thought that would happen. I know there are a lot of Snake fans excited to return to an old friend.

Daisy was certainly an interesting choice. No doubt she has her fans, and I'm glad they were able to throw her in there as a quick clo-excuse me. A quick "Echo Fighter." There. Now doesn't that sound better? Sheesh...

And Ridley, of course, was a pretty big deal (heh). I was never able to get behind the hype for the character, but I understand and respect why a chunk of the Smash community wanted him to be playable. And I'm happy to see that Sakurai figured out how to make him work.

Overall, I was just extremely satisfied with everything they showed off yesterday regarding Smash Ultimate.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
:popo:-100% Had to happen, also no Wobbles!
:wolf:-95% would be 100% but I liked his design from Brawl a lot better but regardless he's still back and ready to shred things
:snake:-100% didn't think it would happen but here he is!
:pt:-70% higher because Leaf, bringing Squirtle and Ivysaur back is interesting, though I did like the idea of Charizard as a solo fighter better tbh...
:younglinkmelee:-10% Only really this low because no slingshot, but sure
:pichumelee:-20% I mean sure...Pichu didn't really need to come back but I guess if they're bringing everyone else back guess he's gotta come back as well
Inkling-65% They look interesting, will probably have a better opinion if I'm actually able to play them
Daisy-5% yeah I don't really care tbh, she's a clone so not a whole lot of work went into her compared to being a unique fighter, so no time was taken away, the concept of "Echo Fighters" does makes sense though. As they sort of act as alts for characters but with slight alterations.
Ridley-100% HE ****ING MADE IT!!!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Daisy: 90%
My most wanted. And she's in. The moment I heard that Echo Fighters got to be their own category all my senses were sharpened and when her smug face appeared on my screen I felt so relieved. That said, she is very much cloned with all moves seen so far being the same animations as Peach, even things that I thought Sakueai would not clone, like Toad and the Float.
There are only a few things left to discover about my most wanted, and I cannot wait to take a back-seat in speculation after that.

Ridley: 75%
Not really my most wanted, but he's implemented quite well. Very, very nice for the fans that have waited ages for this moment to happen.

Inklings: 70%
I read too much of Munomario777 Munomario777 's famous Inkling sets to be hyped really. Only one move that puts down ink, no mobility perk from said ink and overall quite generic tilts too. Treehouse boasts with Inkling being filled to the brim with Splatoon references, but there are very few weapons, subs and mechanics present to truly call it a good moveset.

Pichu: 50%
He's part of the deal

Part of the deal too, but I like the character.

Icies: 55%
Part of the deal, Summit is back baby!

Snake: 65%
Part of the deal, but an unexpected and hypeworthy return of an unexpected and hypeworthy character

Wolf: 75%
I just think he's neat

Pokémon Trainer: 80%
Squirtle is back! Ivysaur is back! The gimmick finally works properly! Swift Switching!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Everybody And no cuts is 100% by far

Because sakurai always banged his head on the wall every time he cut somebody he at long last figured out a way to cut nobody

And Ridley alone make it the best roster in video game history the western most wanted if king k rool is in congratulations sakurai you created the worlds first dream roster in video games history

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Never really played as them but I welcome them back wholeheartedly

Pokemon Trainer: 100%
Ivysaur was cool and Squirtle is my favourite out of the three. The team looks more fun than ever.

Wolf: 95%
Probably my favourite out of the Star Fox trio. Do prefer his older desing tho.

Snake: 85%
Didn't play as him back then, but I do recognize how amazing of a series Metal Gear is and it's a franchise I want to try out. Hope he has codecs for everyone.

Young Link: 80%
No experience with him in Smash but Oot 3d was my first Zelda. I might try him out. I do kinda prefer him to adult Link.

Inklings: 75%
Look fun but they could've had a little more depth to them.

Ridley: 70%
Never was a supporter for this guy but it's nice to have him regardless.

Pichu: 55%
No experience with this guy either. Being just a worse Pikachu is a bit dumb. Not offended at his inclusion however and he's kinda cute I guess.

Daisy: 15%
We don't know if echo characters share the same spot on the roster or not so I wasn't really wrong on her. Glad they didn't actually waste time constructing a spinoff filler moveset for her and it's nice Daisy fans can now finally shut up. Tho echo fighter or not, it is a bit upsetting how she got in over Wah.

No cuts: 50%
There wasn't anyone I really wanted gone (I hate Corrin but they could be my go to punching bag) but while having everyone back is nice and all it is a bit of a bummer that the amount of newcomers will be downplayed in exchange. I'd probably make some cuts if I knew that were the case.

Troykv

Smash Master
When we start the underrated and overrated nominations Top 4; the already we'll avoid everything that is confirmed/disconfirmed or just the Veterans + Daisy and Ridley?

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Satisfaction Ratings

I listed a dozen possibilities that I thought would compromise this utterly, but I never considered that the idea itself would be something Smash would ever aim for. Sakura had already gone on record saying that he wouldn't cut anything if he could, and this time around, he's committed to making that ideal a reality. Really makes you wish Smash were some evergreen PC title instead, where new content could just be patched onto the old stuff over and over, instead of having to be remade from the ground up with every new console.

Now, you could be practical and be efficient, focusing only on what’s unique and high priority - or you could be Sakurai, and make the impossible happen. I'm sad that there are people who actually feel like veterans should be compromised for the sake of newcomers, when there's nothing true about that logic at all. Why should a game series devoted to honouring Nintendo history ever turn its back on its own past?

Ice Climbers: 99%

The original “Screw the haters” character, their arrival was almost completely expected and yet still a thing of beauty. My sole 1% off is because I've yet to be convinced that they've been buffed enough to make up for Nana's sudden loss of a grab game (which was a part of their identity, yet at the same time justifiably cut), so I can only hope that they're getting enough attention to keep them viable.

Pokemon Trainer: 96%

Ivysaur was the best, and a Pokemon Trainer balanced to actually be good is even better. Forced switches on KO could've gone the same way as the stamina mechanic, but both Squirtle and Ivysaur look better than ever.

Wolf: 90%

His exclusion was never justified, so this inclusion is just setting something right. Hope they fix that jaw soon, though.

Man, I want to know what Hideo Kojima thinks about this! A solid choice that nevertheless never really got to be in a more balanced meta, Snake’s exclusion was a sore empty space in the roster, so it'll be a good Smash title to have his moveset back once again.

Pichu: 100%

I have to admit, the reasons behind Pichu’s re-inclusion is less about representing Johto and more about getting that “Everyone is Here!” tagline accurate. But if both the animations and the moves are anything to go by, this little mouse is finally getting some overdue justice for his moveset.

Young Link: 90%

While still technically the least-wanted veteran, Link's focus on Breath of the Wild means that the three Links now represent three distinct eras of Legend of Zelda. His model looks as on-point as all the other Zelda character redesigns to reference past titles, so all that's left is to prove he had a moveset worth bringing back, even with Toon Link around.

Inkling: 95%

It’s not entirely faithful, sure, but it’ll work great. Splattershot plays out just like it does in Splatoon, which I almost thought it wouldn’t. The alternate costumes are just the best too.

Daisy: 100%

An echo fighter was really the only way to go about this. The main draw of Daisy is her character - whereas other female characters have attitude projected onto them, Daisy has attitude at her core, and that makes her a great inclusion character-wise.

(Not to turn her inclusion into a zero-sum situation, but she now essentially represents the Mario spin-offs in Smash. Waluigi now needs a significantly-better argument than sheer populist vote, assuming no Ballot comes around.)

Ridley: 99%

With an absolutely perfect tagline, Ridley's overdue debut hits as hard it deserves to. 50% damage in one hit? That right there is how you show visceral brutality in Smash. Kind of hoped he'd extend his limbs out a little more, but I daresay he fits right in regardless.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Giving 100% to all.

And 101% to English Marth.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Gonna end the day now and post the calcs for satisfaction tomorrow.

Today we got our most overrated and underrated characters. Now I do not want you to just go on opinion, look at our Chance scores and see who you feel we overrated and underrated. You get to do a top three for each one, but note that your order does not count, but it is good to gauge opinion.

For the record nothing we have seen outright deconfirmed like Takamaru or Waluigi is eligible for this.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Overrated
Decidueye
With how many Pokémon are in this game, plus Ivysaur completing that elemental trio (not that it ever mattered but I’ve seen people use that as an argument), I just don’t see him being high priority.

Elma
Nothing changes with E3. I never saw why people thought she was ever likely in the first place. It would be like repping Xenoblade 2 with just Pyra, and we all saw how that was rated.

Celica
The more popular Lyn didn’t make it in, she probably doesn’t stand a chance. Unless she could be an Echo Fighter, like...

Underrated

Chrom
Given Echo Fighters, and Chrom’s enduring popularity, I think we slept on this guy. Admittedly, the existence of Echo Fighters makes a lot of characters not likely.

Dark Samus
Pretty much the same as Chrom. Robin’s FS not being shown and Samus’ DS alt being a no show makes them suddenly sleeper candidates.

Isaac
He’s looking likelier by the day and with this game being so fan service-y, he’s got a serious shot.

Runners-up include Sable (with Takamaru out of the game, Sable is looking incredibly likely, but he wasn’t rated), Lip, Excitebiker (we all lowballed retros because we thought Taka was the one), Black Shadow and pretty much any easy Echo Fighter. (Hell, Blue Bowser not looking as bad now, huh?)
Yes he is

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Elma
Nothing changes with E3. I never saw why people thought she was ever likely in the first place. It would be like repping Xenoblade 2 with just Pyra, and we all saw how that was rated.
While I agree with you on the Pokemon portion, how on earth is this a legitimate comparison? Have you played XCX at all??

Elma is essentially the main character of X, despite the fact that she's not your avatar. She's actually a direct parallel to KOS-MOS from Xenosaga at many points, and the game centers around her team (of which you are no more important a member than any other) saving humanity.

Contrast this with Pyra, who is a character whose entire point is bonding with a driver to prevent herself from getting hurt and fatigued while fighting. Bonding between blade and driver is the entire gimmick of the game, and having Pyra alone makes no sense despite her arguably being more important than Rex himself.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Let me start with Underrated first

3. Dark Samus

I considered Chrom for this spot but Robin could still have him as his final smash. Dark Samus’ assist trophy is mysteriously MIA. The Dark Samus esque alt is gone now too. Things are looking up for her at least.

2. Excitebiker

Takamaru is dead. Now we need a new retro king. Excitebiker fits that mold well, the only competition for him I could see is the so far absent Prince Sable.

1. King K. Rool

The big guy is a fan favorite. Ridley paves the way for him so well. Sakurai acknowledges fan demand, it is his finest hour.

Honorable mentions: Simon Belmont, Lycanroc/Mimikyu, Geno, Isaac, Ashley

Now for Overrated

3. Rayman

As we drift away from E3, my confidence in a new third party not from an existing company in the game fades. Crash suffers from this too, but Rayman is the most obvious. I like Rayman, but right now he feels too high.

2. Captain Toad

With Toad being played up in Peach and Daisy’s moves, I feel less confident. It’s one thing to just appear out of peach’s dress, it’s another for Toad to do other stuff. Also Daisy being revealed before him makes me think that he is not as likely.

1. Decidueye

The two hit punch is people underrating his competition and Ivysaur coming back. He no longer had the grass starter niche on lock. I feel that him being that high and not around the other gen 7 mons is something to note.

Troykv

Smash Master
We will get a new version of the Top 10 Pictures after the Overrated/Underrated Re-rates?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
While I agree with you on the Pokemon portion, how on earth is this a legitimate comparison? Have you played XCX at all??

Elma is essentially the main character of X, despite the fact that she's not your avatar. She's actually a direct parallel to KOS-MOS from Xenosaga at many points, and the game centers around her team (of which you are no more important a member than any other) saving humanity.

Contrast this with Pyra, who is a character whose entire point is bonding with a driver to prevent herself from getting hurt and fatigued while fighting. Bonding between blade and driver is the entire gimmick of the game, and having Pyra alone makes no sense despite her arguably being more important than Rex himself.
I did play Xenoblade X, and I never felt like Elma was the main character. She always felt like a questgiver/deuteragonist to me. The comparison to Pyra might have been off, but the point I wanted to get across was that I can’t see a sidekick get in over the main, playable character.

Top Bottom