• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Most Exciting: E3 2018 - The August Direct runs it close, but you just can't top bringing everyone back + Ridley, it's a fantasy scenario made real. Right from the game's reveal I was set, over a decade's worth of waiting had paid off, everything after that were just bonuses.

Least Exciting: October - This is when the lack of actual daily updates really showed, other than the Grinch leak happening right at the end of it there was nothing to discuss, we were really just going in circles over various theories. I still think their overall marketing strategy for this game has been a bit questionable.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Most Hype: Everyone is here
Way before Smash Ultimate got confirmed in March I was actually rooting for Smash Switch to be a port, mainly so we didn't have to discuss who would return and who wouldn't. That showcase remedied all that by satisfying every fan of each character through their inclusion.

Least Hype: Anytime Vergeben speaks
He's reponsible for spoiling over half of the reveals and it looks like he isn't gonna stop anytime soon. People get so devided with his messages that they forget the biggest issue. Some ****head is basically intentionally spoiling characters supposed to be suprises. Wether you believe all his statements or not, what he does is has a negative effect on the community. And there needs to be something done to make him **** off. He could get doxxed for all I care.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Least Hype: Anytime Vergeben speaks
He's reponsible for spoiling over half of the reveals and it looks like he isn't gonna stop anytime soon. People get so devided with his messages that they forget the biggest issue. Some ****head is basically intentionally spoiling characters supposed to be suprises. Wether you believe all his statements or not, what he does is has a negative effect on the community. And there needs to be something done to make him **** off. He could get doxxed for all I care.
Don't go looking for a Scroll of Truth if you're just going to seethe over what it says.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Most Hype: Undoubtedly the August direct. We'd gotten spoiled on Simon (and he's not too fascinating to me - the only reason I somewhat liked him was that I ended up with this headcanon of him delving through Nordic ruins with Dovahkiin), but K.Rool came out of nowhere, and looks amazing. Sorry Riddles, but K.Rool is actually more hype than you right now.
Runner up: Everyone is Here. I was scared to watch at E3 since Ridley had been suggested and I didn't want to be let down again. I also was praying that they'd bring back my boy Squirtle, even though I knew people on the whole hated transformations. So when I got home after E3, I wanted to just check online before I watched and see if Ridley was in or not. He was, and I saw the Trainer too. I didn't spend time looking at the whole list (or its length), I just went straight to YouTube to watch it. And then they started rapid-firing veterans. I wasn't counting; I just thought "Yeah, makes sense" for them (and was really hyped for Squirtle) until they got to Snake. And then "Everyone is Here?" Wait...Pichu? Do they mean literally everyone?!

Least Hype: The info droughts, especially when leaks and various theories kept coming up. Especially when the last direct happened and showed that not only was the box true, the fake leak right before it made it sting for a lot of people. I really didn't have stock in the Grinch - I had no nostalgia for any of the characters and I even was anti one of those characters, but that last direct was a let down in more ways than one. I actually have to go back and watch the other two directs since that last one made me the least hype I've been since June.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Most hype: Probably the initial reveal, as I like the Inklings and I was also excited to see how Link would turn out. Plus, new Smash game!
Runner up goes to Richter coming out of nowhere.

Least hype: When Sakurai said not to expect too many new fighters. That put a damper on everything and on anyone who supported anyone. Also Ashley not getting fighter status.

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Most Hype: Undoubtedly the August direct. We'd gotten spoiled on Simon (and he's not too fascinating to me - the only reason I somewhat liked him was that I ended up with this headcanon of him delving through Nordic ruins with Dovahkiin), but K.Rool came out of nowhere, and looks amazing. Sorry Riddles, but K.Rool is actually more hype than you right now.
Runner up: Everyone is Here. I was scared to watch at E3 since Ridley had been suggested and I didn't want to be let down again. I also was praying that they'd bring back my boy Squirtle, even though I knew people on the whole hated transformations. So when I got home after E3, I wanted to just check online before I watched and see if Ridley was in or not. He was, and I saw the Trainer too. I didn't spend time looking at the whole list (or its length), I just went straight to YouTube to watch it. And then they started rapid-firing veterans. I wasn't counting; I just thought "Yeah, makes sense" for them (and was really hyped for Squirtle) until they got to Snake. And then "Everyone is Here?" Wait...Pichu? Do they mean literally everyone?!

Least Hype: The info droughts, especially when leaks and various theories kept coming up. Especially when the last direct happened and showed that not only was the box true, the fake leak right before it made it sting for a lot of people. I really didn't have stock in the Grinch - I had no nostalgia for any of the characters and I even was anti one of those characters, but that last direct was a let down in more ways than one. I actually have to go back and watch the other two directs since that last one made me the least hype I've been since June.
Which character were you against in the grinch leak?

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Most Hype: August Direct, my favorite newcomers (The Belmont and K. Rool) of the game were revealed here, and the leak overall was a filled with pleasant surprises.

Least Hype: ... Well; I dislike info droughts, they're like sand, rusty and boring.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Which character were you against in the grinch leak?
If you must know, Geno. I realize that every character has fans, but he just rubbed me the wrong way - especially as he hasn't made appearances in 20 years, while other Mario characters who've been in every Mario spinoff were shunted aside as unimportant. I get every character has fans though, he would have just been a tough pill for me personally to swallow. That is unless I got my dream character as well, then I'd accept anyone. In addition, I wasn't truly against Shadow, but I wanted to see Tails in and it would also get a bit competitive there as well. Shadow's the obvious echo, but I'd have preferred Tails getting in in any way, even as a clone, to just being forgotten.

The rest of the Grinch were characters from games I also hadn't played, so I don't really have connections to them outside of knowing that they have fanbases here.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
If you must know, Geno. I realize that every character has fans, but he just rubbed me the wrong way - especially as he hasn't made appearances in 20 years, while other Mario characters who've been in every Mario spinoff were shunted aside as unimportant. I get every character has fans though, he would have just been a tough pill for me personally to swallow. That is unless I got my dream character as well, then I'd accept anyone. In addition, I wasn't truly against Shadow, but I wanted to see Tails in and it would also get a bit competitive there as well. Shadow's the obvious echo, but I'd have preferred Tails getting in in any way, even as a clone, to just being forgotten.

The rest of the Grinch were characters from games I also hadn't played, so I don't really have connections to them outside of knowing that they have fanbases here.
I was always indifferent towards Geno until recently tho, but I feel the same way with Steve getting in over Banjo as you do with Shadow over Tails.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Most Hype:
1) Seeing the Ice Climbers come back in the E3 segment - I don't even play Ice Climbers, but the fact that they were cut from Smash 4 always rubbed me the wrong way.
2) Ridley reveal - I knew who it was from the first frame of the trailer (ominous space tube? Gotta be Ridley!), and I couldn't have been happier. I've been a big fan of Ridley since I was just a little kid, and have always wanted to play as him/ have an action figure of him. Smash is making both of my childhood wishes a reality.
3) Hanging out in the Ashley thread - that thread used to be bumpin', and I think I might have some nostalgia for the days (a few months ago) when I'd pleasantly chat with a bunch of complete strangers online. It's what got me back on SmashBoards, in the first place.
4) Isabelle - Honestly, I'm as psyched for Isabelle as I am for what many consider the "hype" inclusions. It was depressing to see people disappointed with her, but as a lifelong Animal Crossing fan, it was a really nice touch to an already awesome game.
5) Last, but CERTAINLY not least, King K. Rool - every time I get upset about something this game did/didn't do, I go back and watch some K. Rool gameplay. He was the character I voted for in the Ballot, and his reveal truly set the bar for this game's roster. The only reason Ridley seemed impossible was because Sakurai considered him "too big" (he's still the most recurring character in the Metroid series behind only Samus herself). But K. Rool's been out of comission for a while, now, so his revival in Smash, of all places, was really cool.

Least Hype:
1) The entire month of July - With the threat of limited newcomers looming overhead, everyone and their mother wanted to get new information, and fast. So when an entire month flew by and nothing was announced, it made me crazy. I needed to talk about something, and I'd already exhausted all talk about Ridley back in June. Sure, October was equally as torturous for others, but I was still on Cloud 7.5 because of Isabelle, as well as the fumes of K. Rool the month prior. October didn't really screw with me until the last week or so.
2) The Massacre of 11.1 - Shadow. Isaac. Black Knight. Spring Man. I'm not a guy who believes Spirits=Disconfirmation, but ATs are still up for debate, and boy, did Sakurai really "honor our favorite characters" this time around. So many characters I would happily pay good money for are stuck in that stupid little rainbow-colored dome. If AT Promotions end up not being a thing, then the future of DLC looks to be what I feared most: a bunch of third-parties.
3) Ashley's Fate - Ashley is the character that got me back into Smash speculation. With an interesting background and fun moveset potential (I implore you to go hunt my moveset down in the Ashley thread if you don't know what she can do), this really seemed like my favorite WarioWare character's time to shine. When they showed that five-second clip of Ashley as an AT back in August, it put a HUGE damper on an otherwise perfect Direct. Had K. Rool not been revealed directly afterwards, I might have put off following Smash for a while purely because of the disappointment.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Most hype: It's a tough call, but I'm going to have to go with Ridley's reveal. I've seen the absolute unit dragon pop up so many times in discussion, the whole "too big" back and forths, Sakurai's comment on him being too hard to work with while keeping him true to character. And then E3 came along, Everyone Is Here announced, various changes to characters, etc. I was already extremely excited. Then Sakurai with his typical last announcement. The cross appeared, the screen went white, faded to black. A dark, seemingly abandoned facility appeared. I wasn't sure who it was. The camera closed in on the floor, I saw it were Samus' footsteps, and I knew. I never even finished a Metroid game, but I knew how big of a deal this was. Even before he appeared on screen, I was dumbfounded. "There's no way, THERE'S NO WAY IN HELL THEY MADE HIM WORK." Megaman got snatched, I panicked. Mario's skull got crushed, my eyes were glued to the screen. Samus stopped, she knew. The ground shook, it was destroyed, Ridley came from below, I saw his reflection, heard his cry, and witnessed first hand, a meme come to an end. I knew volume was being made all over the world. The fight for Ridley's inclusion had suddenly turned into the supporter's favour with one footstep, and it's a moment I won't forget any time soon. K. Rool surprised me as well by a lot, but Ridley's reveal, to me, was a much bigger deal, even if I didn't care for either character.

Least hype: It starts with "Ver" and it ends with "ben". I hate leaks, I really do. I hated how a ton of speculation was around him, and it hasn't even stopped yet, and it won’t until the last DLC drops. It's why, despite my hatred for leaks, I appreciated the Grinch leak so, so much as it finally breathed new air into the community instead of just going full kencineroar/vergebox. I was so hopeful that, despite the insane amount of characters, one of Vergeben's claims would finally end up wrong. I didn’t even care about any of the characters on the grinch leak. I just wanted his streak to end, and that we could freely speculate on DLC. But sadly, many people’s (including mine, sadly) predictions already include two derived from his claims.

To put it simply, I’d rather be blissfuly hopeful about my most wanted characters and be disappointed for a few moments once they don’t make it in, than just give up hope from the start and be a pessimist the entire time. And it’s not easy to avoid leaks when everyone and their mother talk about them.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Most hype: August Direct
We got 5 characters in one sitting: a legend, two fan favorites and the king of the ballot! And Richter, love you Richie. It all felt unreal, where could they go from there! Suddenly, people were feeling like they were heard, that any character truly had a chance, and that rules had been broken.

Least hype: November Direct
The truth: they just blew their wad. This is just not how you market a game. You don’t put all the bad news together at the end. Nintendo built up a hype they knew they couldn’t deliver. I’m not going to blame Vergeben for ruining this surprise, because tbh I didn’t believe it until I saw it, that’s how far fetched it was.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Most hype: August Direct
Boy, was that a blast, 4 fan-favourite characters and 1 nice surprise for once. I still had issues believing King K. Rool and Richter Belmont were in the game later in the day.

Least Hype: Grinch weeks
While I don't blame anyone for believing those leaks (even I had my own reasons to keep them in mind), it was a really painful thing to see just how divided the community became for that. Was it really necessary to attack Andre and GameXplain just for not believing them? And let's not even get into Incineroar fans and those who supported Vergeben's claims, I could've told people to stay calm and wait before jumping into any conclusions, but it was quite clear that only few were emotionally prepared to be wrong about anything, so I remained silent instead. Man oh man, am I not wishing for another time period like that. So many comments, so many insults, so many memes, so many wojaks and other kinds of 4chan jokes, wasted...

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Most hype moments:
-Smash Ultimate announced
-Ridley
-Everyone is here
-Simon + K Rool, August Direct in general
-5 DLC characters
-Piranha Plant

Hypest single moment:
That Simon trailer was the best character trailer ever, IMO. My three most wanted (Ridley, Simon, K Rool) all got in and all had good trailers, and I'm more excited to play as Ridley and K Rool, but that trailer was so fun. It wasn't as hype for me as when Mega Man was revealed (as you might guess), but just as a standalone cinematic, Luigi in Dracula's mansion is the best.

Least hype moments:
-Everyone is here (no more speculation about veterans)
-Isabelle's boring-ass trailer after waiting an extra week for it (Isabelle is fine, but that trailer was the worst character trailer ever)
-box theory being proposed, seeming plausible and then being confirmed
-Piranha Plant

Most WTF moment:
-Piranha Plant, by a mile

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Most hype moments:

Least hype:
-Everyone is here (no more speculation about veterans)
Hmm? They were plenty of talking points with move set changes for nearly everyone and how exciting it was to have the whole cast. I'd take that over the toxic talk of cuts any day of the week.

Most hype:

Everyone is Here - Best trailer in Smash history
Ridley - The long battle has been won.
August 8th - Amazing direct showcasing so many goodies and treats. Honestly should have been the finale.
World of Light - Looks like a fun experience

Least hype:

Entire month of October - Just a mess. No information, people fighting against box theorists due to not having what they wanted on it, and then the Grinch hoax happened. I am amazed that it was fake considering the whole backstory and amazing work on the art style and attention to details. But it created fake hype for many which ruined the community for a few days somewhat.

No eShop demo - Why?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Hmm? They were plenty of talking points with move set changes for nearly everyone and how exciting it was to have the whole cast. I'd take that over the toxic talk of cuts any day of the week.
While we could still discuss characters like K Rool, Isabelle, Dark Samus, Bandana Dee, etc. that were plausible, we kind of ran out of plausible (IMO) characters to talk about. Discussing the 10th most popular possible FE newcomer is not that fun.

Much of the speculation time was spent discussing no chance obscure characters. I mean, I also listed it as most hype because it was an exciting reveal and it meant that no characters I like were being cut, and Wolf was returning, etc. But since we're also talking about "speculation", this removed like half of the mystery. Also, there are a few characters I would've preferred not to return, so it has a negative side as well.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Considering that this game only gave out information in a few big chunks, seems like everyone will have the same few talking points. Regardless...

Let's get the negatives out of the way first. I'll leave out the Grinch leak because that actually had nothing to do with the game itself.

Bottom Five
5. Isabelle trailer. Not the character herself (although I don't care much for her either), but the trailer was just a misfire. It was an in-game AC cutscene of Isabelle walking around her office, and then opening a letter. That's it. Compare it to all the other trailers, which had fun character interactions from multiple series (you know, being a crossover and all), and then realizing that Isabelle is just a semi-clone, there wasn't much for me to work with.
4. The long period between August 8th and November 1st where the only new info we got was the Isabelle trailer. Although the bombshell of the August Direct was fantastic, Sakurai was right in that he blew his wad. The fact that the last Direct was overall underwhelming didn't help. I went from "holy crap I need this game now I can't stop thinking about it" after August to waiting every day for a Direct announcement or something.
3. Spirits. Hoo boy, that was... that was something. Nintendo obviously blurred it out thinking it would be something we would get interested in, but it turned out to be... glorified gacha. And while I understand why trophies are gone, the game just feels like something is missing without them. The only reason this isn't lower (higher?) on the anti-hype list is World Of Light honestly looks pretty fun, and is closer to what we expected Spirits to be, I think.
2. Only four new stages. I clung to that CoroCoro page so freaking bad, man. I'm not even asking for the world, I would have been happy with just 10 new stages, but only four? I'm happy with the vast majority of the ones they chose to bring back, but I could probably have given up 10 of the old stages to get 5 new ones. At least we're getting more with DLC.
1. Box Theory being true. So many months of arguing over this crap, thinking Nintendo was smart enough to not openly telegraph their remaining fighters in a promotional item, only for that to be horribly wrong. That hurt more than the Grinch leak being fake, frankly, even if I thought the last trailer was a good one. It makes me question Nintendo's ability to market their product, but thankfully, there's five big reasons why I'm buying said product...

Top Five
5. Ken/Incineroar trailer. Despite it killing Grinch out of the gate, this is a great trailer. The design for Ken is fantastic and got me hyped up for his inclusion in a way I didn't expect. And the way they brought Incineroar to life with all of the details on his design ruled, showing off an expressive, fun fighter just like I hoped. Even if these weren't maybe the best characters to end the cycle on for most people, it worked just fine for me.
4. Everything in the August Direct that wasn't K. Rool. Although I was skeptical about Simon Belmont in Smash, his trailer completely won me over, with his and Richter's inclusion getting me to play their games. Chrom and Dark Samus were no brainer echo additions that made a lot of fans happy, the confirmation of Fountain Of Dreams returning was a legit hype point in its own right, and 100+ stages/800+ tracks was just... man.
3. Ridley. While not as invested in him as K. Rool, he's been a request of mine since Brawl, and the second biggest (lawl) for this game. Despite Vergeben's leak, there was a lot of uncertainty, considering Vergeben's track record is 50/50 at best and the idea that Sakurai finally added a character he publicly rejected twice seemed unthinkable. Sure enough, he arrived and I jumped up and down with joy. With him, I knew the King was also on his way.
2. Everyone Is Here. Once I saw Cloud, I was excited, because I seriously thought he was on the chopping block. Then I saw Snake and flipped out. The text "everyone is here!" had my jaw on the floor because I never once considered this a possibility for Smash, but I'm really glad it happened, even if Snake and Wolf were the only cuts I really wanted back.
1. K. Rool. I got the character I voted for and the main villain of one of my favorite video game series finally returned. Once the gameplay footage started and they showed all the homages in his moveset, I cried. I got my last "major request" for Smash and felt a sense of closure. I got chills when he was added to the banner at the very end of the Direct.

Last edited:

aarchak

Smash Ace
Oh man, I agree with basically everyone with the August direct being most hype. Of course, the month-long drought of info during October was by far the least hype, especially with all the talk about leaks.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Most Hype:

1. The August Direct for sure, unfortunately had the drawback of having all of the pre hype section being used already.
2. EVERYONE IS HERE! Really glad not see Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy cut as well as the return of Wolf and Ice Climbers and the rest.
3. The very first trailer.
4. Confirmation of DLC(Lloyd still has a shot, a bigger at that)

Least Hype:

1. The final Smash Direct. They exhausted nearly everything after the August Direct and this one dragged Spirits on for too long and covered useless things like changing the language setting. Only good things were confirmation of DLC, newcomers, and the World of Light reveal.
2. Nintendo Direct in September. Isabelle's trailer was just really boring.
3. The drought between August and November

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Most hype... definitely the Everyone is Here trailer. Snake, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Wolf, Pichu, Inkling, everyone from Smash 4... you can't top that, in all honesty. You just can't.
Although I will give an honorable mention to K. Rool's reveal. Even if I personally saw it coming from a mile away, the celebration that ensued among K. Rool fans as well as Smash fans in general was just a wonderful time to be part of the Smash fanbase.

As for the least hype, not counting the extended periods of nothing happening since I kind of see that as cheating, I have to go with the entirety of the November Direct. They just... really frontloaded their hype on this one. It really felt like just one piece of bad news after another. Box theory, the literal worst possible timeline for remaining reveals, ended up being true? Spirits are just glorified Stickers? No Stadium modes outside of Multi-Man? No mention of the Stage Builder? No Trophies?? And then came the Third AT Purge, which housed a couple of particularly rough deconfirmations that they saved right for the very end. Even if I don't care for the characters myself, seeing Isaac and Shadow get AT'd after all this time really hurt. As if that didn't sting enough, they revealed a generic Mario enemy as our first DLC fighter, and although many have since warmed up to Piranha Plant, myself included, at the time, it really felt like a slap in the face to fans of any character who isn't in yet, especially the ones who just got AT'd not ten minutes before.
Really, this Direct just felt bloated and drawn-out, and it could have easily been about 10 minutes shorter if they didn't go into such patronizing detail on instruction-manual-tier info like the freaking Options menu. (Did anyone actually enjoy hearing Villager's name said in 7 different languages, by chance? Yeah, me neither.) And all this came after a nearly 2-month-long drought of absolutely no new information. The only part of the Direct that jumped out at me, personally, was the World of Light trailer at the end, given that an actual Adventure Mode has been one of my top hopes for this game since day 1. But even that didn't stack up to all the frankly bad information that they decided to save for this one Direct. People who say the Grinch Leak is the only reason this Direct was received negatively coughGameXplaincough are dead wrong, and anyone who was disappointed by this Direct after two months of waiting has every right to be. It wasn't exactly horrible, but it completely failed at hyping me up to the point where I honestly left the Direct considerably less hyped for the game than when I entered it. And that's not what you want to do a month before your game drops. I'm still gonna buy the game, obviously, but this Direct just deflated my hype to a degree that I didn't think possible.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Most Hype:

'Nuff said.

Least Hype:

Honestly, this is hard for me to say. I've been pretty much satisfied all-around this pre-release cycle (except for those awful Grinch "Leak" wars...), so I guess I'd say the info drought throughout October. That was an extremely draining experience for me since I was really excited for the game and I wanted to sink my teeth into any new morsels of info Sakurai would bring out before each Direct, but the lack of any info just left me feeling frustrated, and then when the Grinch "Leak" reared its ugly head it just made me feel even more miserable. Fortunately the November Direct came by soon and finally revealed all the necessary details, so it didn't last too long for me.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Most Hype:
Spirits Mode, World of Light.
:ultpokemontrainer: returns.

Least Hype:
"Now for out last new challenger."
Ken and Incineroar reveal.
It felt disappointing at the time.

Last edited:

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
Most hype: King K. Rool. I wasn't really in the speculation scene nor really following the trailers back then. I was browsing Reddit when I came across a link to the reveal trailer. I couldn't believe it at the time, the big guy has made it after years of being sidelined by his source material. It was then that I started following the development of the game.

Least hype: October was not a fun month at all. I may have entered the scene at the wrong time. I've become at peace with the Direct in spite of not being initially enthused about Incineroar (he sold me with those wrestling motifs in time), because at least it did give us answers at last.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Aw shoot, looks like I forgot to post yesterday.

I had a tough time thinking about what would I call my favorite day in this RTC. I guess the first Layton day comes close to that, mainly because I thoroughly enjoyed writing out that long essay post detailing everything regarding Layton's chances of making it into Smash Bros. It stung learning that Layton got the lowest want score compared to all the other times he was rated in the RTC threads (first time he was rated here, he didn't even surpass 40%). It felt like my essay didn't convince others about Layton's appeal as a Smash fighter. Luckily, the second time he was rated, it turned out his want score did increase to over 40%, so that was reassuring for me (and lifted a load off my chest considering how I feared Layton would do even worse in want considering how people's tastes were getting more critical towards those they didn't want with the reveal of little newcomers back when he was rerated).

Now for today's topic!

Most hype: Chrom's reveal

Chrom was my second most wanted in the Smash 4 speculation days, and as a huge Chrom supporter/fan I remember how much it hurt to see how Sakurai brutally deconfirmed him in Robin's reveal trailer. When Echo Fighters were first revealed in Smash Ultimate, it gave me newfound hope seeing Chrom in the game. He'd make the perfect Echo fighter considering how Sakurai made all those comments in the past how Chrom would play similar to the likes of Marth and Ike.

Cut to that August Direct, and Chrom was the first revealed Echo fighter in it! Words cannot describe how happy I was to see he was confirmed to be playable in Smash! My first and favorite FE lord finally made it into Smash! It was a dream come true! He even turned out to be a pretty interesting Echo Fighter, with his moveset making homages to the various FE characters we have in Smash (an up special that's just like Ike's and being an Echo of Roy, who is based on Marth).

Though I must say, that whole August Direct was pretty hype. Although he was leaked, Simon's reveal trailer awesome and made me want to give him a try! The information that was also revealed was good stuff.

Honorable mention goes to the Everyone is Here trailer. Even if there were veterans I didn't care for seeing to make a comeback, having every veteran back is an incredible thing on its own right. I never though my Melee main, Pichu, would come back (I doubted he'd come back, and I wasn't completely rooting for him to come back either), but here we are! My interest in playing Pichu is back in full force! The way how Pichu was revealed was very memorable to me: he was revealed right after Snake's bit in the trailer! Having Pichu be the first comeback-veteran revealed after that moment definitely helped clear out all my doubts about the "Everyone is Here" tag because it initially sounded tot good to be true!

Least hype: No Eshop demo

Had a tough time thinking of a moment that didn't make me hyped, but after hearing it being mentioned here, this one I gotta agree with. I really liked how there was an Eshop demo for Smash 3DS prior to the game's launch; it was a great way of getting the chance to play Smash 4 early if you weren't lucky to play it at those live events. It would've been great if Smash Ultimate had an Eshop demo with a good number of characters to try it out, but alas, Nintendo wasted the golden opportunity away...

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Most Hype:

The initial reveal. I was 100% sure we wouldn't hear anything about Smash until E3 2018. And even then, that was a stretch. And then on the March 8th Direct, everyone lost it. It was one of the few times this hype cycle Nintendo was able to catch everyone off-guard. NO ONE was expecting it.
Everyone is Here. Seeing ICs confirmed back, only to have Pokemon Trainer a minute later, followed by SNAKE and PICHU!? They may have only been veterans without CGI trailers, but they sure packed a wallop in the hype department.
Ridley and King K. Rool. While I wasn't fans of these characters, it was very nice to see the many fans of these characters finally get what they have been looking for for years.
Richter. Prior to his reveal, we thought the only thing that was gonna happen was Simon's reveal, with a bunch of filler. A lot of us also had the idea that 3rd Party franchises couldn't have echoes, so we got a good shock twice, seeing that there was more to it than Simon, and that the door was open to secondary 3rd party reps (or echoes, at least).
Kirby Survives. Not much to this one, except for me to recommend watching Nintendo NY's reaction to seeing Kirby crash after escaping Galeem.

Least Hype:

Every. Time. Vergeben. Leaks. HE STILL DOES IT!!!!. All he ever was was a hype killer. All of those trailers, I knew who was being revealed from the first shot. Shot of (whatever it was Ridley's trailer took place in)? Oh. It's Ridley. Shot of a Castle? Oh. It's Simon. Shot of the ring? Oh. It's Ken and Incineroar, all because of them.
Filler in directs. It happened a lot during the E3 and November Directs. There were so many things that didn't need to be explained that just... were to fill the time quota. The veteran changes, the Sprit showcases, and the menus, to name just a few. I know they can't be all hype, but come on. I'd rather not be given the false hope that there'd be more and learn the other stuff on my own, since those of us who actually care will learn on our own.
Castlevania OST getting leaked. This pretty much confirmed Simon getting in, and was pretty much the final validation of Vergeben.
Info Droughts. The months of July and October had nothing to show except a bunch of leaks from 4chan, Vergeben and the Grinch, along with Box Theory.
Box Theory being real. Out of all the theories to be real, the one theory that was involved in killing hype had to be real, and it didn't help that the only two remaining fighters were both leaked by Hype Killer Vergeben. Speaking of those two...
Ken and Incineroar. Ken was predictable and Incineroar was not the right choice for the obligatory Pokemon Rep. They confirmed Box Theory, strengthened Hype Killer Vergeben and killed off the base roster. It would have been much more logical to put K. Rool's, Ridley's or Simon's trailer, since they had a little more going for them, even if they were leaked as well.
All of these Characters getting deconfirmed: Including, but not limited to: Krystal, Knuckles, Zero, Skull Kid, Shadow, Isaac, Geno, Waluigi, Mimikyu, Octoling, Spring Man, Pyra, Rex, Shovel Knight, Bomberman, and Shantae. All of these characters got shafted, despite having dedicated fanbases and things that they would have been able to bring to the table.
Stickers returning in the form of Spirits: All of the buildup for that green mode... for Stickers that deconfirm DLC fighters. Sure, World of Light is nice, and it's cool to see some of the more creative event battles, but it's still just a deconfirmation-filled pseudo-gacha (not full gacha because I don't think there are microtransactions, thankfully).
Shantae's Deconfirmation. Imagine this: There was a Smash Bros direct that pulls to all the stops to deconfirm people's favorite fighters. A savage round of this new thing that deconfirms fan-favorites, followed by a savage round of Assist Trophies, followed by another round of (Ugh) Mii Costumes. You lose some of your favorites along the way, but it seems that your #1 most wanted survived. You now get to enjoy the unveiling of the new story mode. And then, at the literal last minute of the direct... Game Over. Your favorite fighter candidate is nothing more than a sticker with stat-boosts and a scenario. I'm not telling you to like Shantae or not, but to survive all of those deconfirmations to be given a sense of security, only for the direct to end off with your favorite getting deconfirmed. I don't care who you support or who you don't, no fighter with a fanbase that unironically wants them deserves to have that happen to them.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Most Hype
Not gonna lie, it's probably the K. Rool reveal. I would say all of that direct, but the Castlevania stuff was largely leaked, so the hype wasn't there anymore (can't even say this was Vergeben's fault, Nintendo actually hurt themselves here). The direct tried to make it look like the end was near for this direct, but K. Rool comes swingin' at the last possible moment. It also gave us some of the best Dedede reactions of all time. Nobody can argue with that. Runners up would be:
  • Everyone is here: Nice to see everyone's favorite is back from previous games. We might have are gripes with one or two of them, but I'm sure someone out there loves Pichu.
  • Ridley: Let's be honest, Ridley is too big... of a reveal not to bring up for an honorable mention. People have been asking for him for years, and ask and you shall receive. Didn't know Japan really didn't like Ridley though (from what I've heard). Is he the rest of the world's Corrin?
  • Inklings: I would say Inklings were hype... but it's hard to get hype from how short their reveal was. I'd honestly say they were robbed a reveal when every other newcomer had something more... well, almost every newcomer (we'll get there).
  • World of Light: I must admit, I think spirits looks a bit like a mess, but the bit we've seen for World of Light certainly looks interesting. I wonder if the DLC characters will play into the story somehow (maybe DLC additional scenarios to the mode?).

Least Hype
Well this is a tough one. I personally had a lot of these moments. I'm gonna disqualify lack of Bandana Dee (or for those of you reading at home, just go ahead and insert your own most wanted but not in the game character), since DLC is still in the air, but here are the ones I had issue with:
  • Lack of information all October: Can't be mad at this one, Sakurai did say to expect little information. Low and behold, was he not kidding. The aftermath of the August direct through all of October was barren. So barren, the Grinch had to come along and shake things up. Thanks Mr. Grinch, they may call you a mean one in Whoville, but for giving us something to talk about, you're a pretty swell guy.
  • Isabelle's trailer: And here's what I meant when I said almost every newcomer. What's worse of a hype killer than Simon's music reveal hurting his reveal? Well, take the same scenario of already knowing the character that was leaked, and slow the reveal down to a snail's pace. And while your at it, don't involve any other series to add any charm. Yeah, we might've known Simon from early on, but Isabelle was in the same boat, and Isabelle's reveal was so boring, when the sad thing is it didn't have to be. Villager had a rather decent take on Smash acceptance. Open the mail box, see the letter, and run off to join the battle. But for Isabelle, we had to watch her meander around the office, talk to Pete (who in my twisted reality was the character that died in the reveal, since every reveal supposedly has a character death), and then find that she's a semi-clone. The only redeeming thing here is that she brought a new Animal Crossing game with her. Well... thanks for that at least Isabelle.
  • Ken and Incineroar: While I don't have any problem with Ken really since he's an echo... it was really odd that he kinda got his own trailer. I know it was more in the sense of some of Smash 4's mixed trailers, but no other echo so far has gotten a cinematic, aside from Richter, who really played off of Simon's reveal. Then there's Tony Tiger's stage alter-ego. Back when I gave my opinion on the last direct (which I remember like it was a couple of days ago... because it was a couple of days ago), I said that Incineroar was probably the worst additions to the game, or at the very least, the worst way to end the base roster. Another Pokemon, alert the presses everyone, Game Freak forces another one of their critters into the roster. This is coming from someone who likes Pokemon, though in recent days, I can't help but think they've been making increasingly poor decision after poor decision.
  • Piranha Plant: ...actually, I've moved on from this. If you wanna count it, go ahead, but this little weed is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things when I think about it.
  • Box Leak was real: take what I said about Nintendo hurting themselves with how Simon was revealed, only they've basically confirmed the entire roster. C'mon guys, at least try to have a semblance of mystery on the roster...
  • World of Light before world of light: By this I mean, characters killed before they even had a chance. That's right, an in memoriam. This goes out to you, Isaac, Shadow, Chibi Robo, Rex, Springman, Black Knight, and to an extent, the spirits gang (Geno, Dixie, Shantae). For many, this was more brutal than the Ken/Incineroar reveal could ever be.
  • Spirits: I would go on about spirits mode, but most already have to a point where this would be redundant, and my list of least hype is already quite long, so I'll just give it a shout out.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
If the first day of DLC speculation isn't going to be just nominating characters, could it be also be either the concept of all DLC be only 3rd party or Rex(since he was the most predicted DLC character before the November Direct)

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Welp, here we go I guess.

Most Hyped Moments :

- King K. Rool's reveal. Ridley was a great surprise but the addition of King K. Rool was what hyped me the most because he was one of the "Shamed" Trio (Ridley is too big, King K. Rool is too old and weird....) and he gave me hope that they may complete the trifecta with Geno aka Mr. Irrelevant...
- Isabelle's reveal. Right before the infamous Smash Info Drought, this lil' cute secretary has appeared and in a way, it was quite predictable if they were going to announce a new AC game (which they did). The hype though was when I realized she was NOT an echo but her OWN fighter. Way to go my loyal secretary. Please do not kick me too hard for not coming back to the village for so long.... ;w;
- The Grinch Leak. First of all, kudos to the mad lad who took the time to set it up. It's not an easy thing to pull it off and as much as it hurt after it was rendered null, it helped with the drought and gave me hope for my Starboi...
- The World of Light Trailer. Such an amazing cinematic and I loved every moment of it.

Least Hyped Moments :

- Ken and Incineroar's duo reveal. Wow, what a shock. Ken was for sure to be there so it's no real surprise but as much as I love Incineroar.... Seeing it's eye shape in the dark broke my heart and sunk down below. I mean, I was happy but it gave me a bad feeling and something that is supposed to hype you up shouldn't give you a bad feeling.
- Geno is an icon/Spirit?? I did not see it when I was viewing the direct the first time, but when one of my fellow Genobro showed the screenshot, I was heartbroken. Was it... It ? All this time... It seemed like everything was lined up perfectly for his return and.... Just like that ? Our voices got heard in the previous game and it seemed we got Sakurai's "blessing"... So why ?
- The AT/Spirit Massacre : For an ULTIMATE game, this was the most brutal that I have ever seen. While I was rooting for my boy to get in, I also wanted everyone to be happy with their choices getting in, Sakurai did not share that same feeling though and one by one, dreams were broken.
- The DLC Waiting Game : Two years. We have to wait TWO years to get all the info about the DLC and we don't know who it will be. Is it wise to torture us more ? How is this hype worthy ? In what I can see, for someone who doesn't really follow Smash that close like I do unless it's brought back to the spotlight, I may even forget it is a thing in a year unless Sakurai released hints or bits of info in the future.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Most Hyped Moments:

1. King K Rool's trailer: By far my favorite moment about Smash 5's speculations. I wanted him since 2002/2003, I was so damn happy. I can't even describe, that was a magical moment.
2. The rest of the august direct: That was so hype man. Freakin Simon Belmont included !
3. Ridley, nothing else to say, that was crazy.
4/5: Can't say what I prefered between "everyone is here" and "Kincineroar trailer", both were awesome !

Least hyped moments:

1. All of the last direct (except Piranha Plant, Ken and Incineroar): I hated it and the worst in that I didn't expect many things (Ken, Incineroar, 1 echo, 1 unique) and a fun adventure mode (and I was sure that a new subspace was impossible). Nothing else to say, I felt like I lost 37 minutes and I was just sad about the direct. It nearly killed my hype.
2. "Don't expect too many newcomers", Smash is all about the newcomers for me.
3.Assist trophies: Isaac's fans got disrespected, same for Skull Kid. And what they did with Shadow broke my heart.
4. Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee's treatment, that's just dumb man.
5. Trophies replaced by glorified stickers.

Troykv

Smash Master
- The DLC Waiting Game : Two years. We have to wait TWO years to get all the info about the DLC and we don't know who it will be. Is it wise to torture us more ? How is this hype worthy ? In what I can see, for someone who doesn't really follow Smash that close like I do unless it's brought back to the spotlight, I may even forget it is a thing in a year unless Sakurai released hints or bits of info in the future.
Actually, we should know most of the information in 2019; unless something unexpected happens in the last reveal that will most likely be in Late 2019.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Most Hype Moment
The first day of E3, with the Everyone is Here trailer and the Smash Invitational right after. As someone who went to the Invitational in person, that was an amazing day. I arrived there at 2:30 in the morning and waited paitently outside for 10 hours before being let inside the theater, all just to celebrate this brand new installment of Smash that no one knew anything about at the time. The cheers people had for very character returning were absolutely deafening, and it was amazing to see everyone go completely ballistic over Ridley. Once we were inside, there he was; daddy Sakurai was right in front of all of us on the stage, and I had the stupidest grin on my face. I was among the first 20 people who entered the theater too out of 700 people, so I was in front of the stage and got a clear view on everything. From the audience chanting the DK rap during the 3v1 Nairo match, to the ZeRo vs. MKLeo grand finals, it was so amazing to experience a brand new Smash installment with hundreds of other fans. It was also amazing how we went from only knowing that the Inklings would be playable, to learning that "Everyone is Here" plus Ridley and Daisy, plus mechanic changes like directional air dodging and revamped power shielding. That was a fantastic day, and one that I will not be forgetting any time soon.

Second most hype moment for me would be the reveal of King K. Rool. The Kremling King was by far my most wanted character, and I told people over the years that I would commit to maining King K. Rool if he was ever added. Lo and behold, I completely lost my mind. I still can't believe that he was actually added. Considering how many other fan favorites got screwed over, I got extremely lucky, and am eternally grateful to Sakurai. Even though no character announcement could ever come close to my excitement for King K. Rool, it's still my second most hype moment because experiencing the announcement of Ultimate with all of those people was truly a magical moment. Both experiencing Ultimate at E3 and King K. Rool's announcement were once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, but watching the Direct with hundreds of others and seeing Sakurai in person is truly a surreal experience.

Here is my reaction to King K. Rool if anyone wants to see it:

Least Hype Moment
The info drought throughout October for sure. News was coming at a steady pace since E3 back in June, with the demo becoming playable at many other conventions and tournaments. The demo was enough to keep us excited until the August Direct, since many people were playing it for the first time over the coming months. After the August Direct, I think many people including myself got hungry for more info. I really wanted to play as King K. Rool, but the E3 demo was being used even after the August Direct. As someone who is looking into video game development as a career, I understand that it can be difficult to compile a new build, since there may not be enough time to test for bugs if they want the new demo to be as polished as the initial demo.

By the time October was underway, Isabelle was revealed a couple weeks prior, and some people felt that the announcement of Isabelle alone was not enough information. Predictions happened every week for an October Direct, which obviously did not happen in the end. Interesting developments happened in the speculation scene too, like the "New" label on the fighter section being removed a few weeks after Isabelle was revealed. Plus, there was the whole thing about a leak that "rustled some feathers", and the sassy Geno leak being discovered as a fake. There was also the Grinch leak near the end of the month, which seemed too good to be true but not out of the realm of possibility since we already got Ridley and King K. Rool. Once the November Direct started and I saw the boxing ring, I knew that Grinch leak was as good as dead, but it did get us all excited over nothing.

Overall, October was the month were we grasped at straws. We were thirsty for new information of any kind, and while some interesting theories and speculation happened throughout the month, it all proved to be meaningless in the end. I feel like the Belmont trailer could have been saved for an October announcement like Robin's trailer for Smash 4, but we were left high and dry instead. Thankfully the worst is over, as November is upon us and review copies may be out in the wild soon. Events also seem to be moving away from the old E3 build at last, as the game has since gone gold and people are now playing the final version at conventions and tournaments. With the rumors of a regular Nintendo Direct next week, presumably covering other Nintendo games to be released early 2019, November should pass by us much quicker than October ever could. By this Friday, four weeks remain until Ultimate releases. October was rough, but there's not much longer left to go!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
This has been another interesting speculation period and one to remember for sure.

MOST HYPED MOMENTS:
Everyone Is Here - I have to admit. Before E3, I didn't have much interest in speculation considering the result from the last go-around. I had taken a long break from Smashboards after the DLC of Smash 4. I had seen the initial announcement trailer and thought to myself "Here we go again". I didn't know what to expect this time so I kinda staying on the sidelines kinda following updates as they came. E3 arrived and I wondered what Nintendo had to offer this time. Smash was on the table this time and I decided to see if there any updates to the new Smash Switch title. Lo and behold I was in for a huge surprise. I started watching and seeing the usual veterans come back then the cut characters from Smash 4 started appearing again. Ice Climbers, Snake, and Wolf showed up and they got my attention immediately. Then the text "EVERYONE IS HERE!!" came up and thought Sakurai actually brought back every single veteran even Young Link and Pichu. My thoughts were that this could be something special
Ridley - Ridley was a character who was among the most controversial in the Smash 4 speculation scene with the shadow analysis and late stage boss reveal which was upsetting with a lot of fans including myself. The ending trailer had me mystified, what could Sakurai have in store for us? Mega Man and Mario were killed off sadistically and that's when it dawned on me. He actually did it. He really did it. Ridley is a playable character in Smash after so many years of wanting him in. It was a dream come true having a top newcomer wish finally get confirmed. This is when I absolutely was certain that K. Rool was in. Ridley got me back into the speculation scene.
Ken & Incineroar - These two have been talked about quite a bit with the Box Theory which didn't set well considering people thought we would only get two more characters before the release day. When the trailer dropped, I actually really enjoyed it that much. Ken's design in Ultimate looks awesome and then came in Incineroar and boy he looks fun as hell to play as. His moveset looks great and he has great personality to go with it.
Other August Direct Reveals - The night before the August 8 direct, it was leaked that Simon was going to be in. I didn't know what to expect with Simon. I was at work when I found out officially and I look on the site and saw the name Richter and thought "who is that?". The trailer had me sold on them, poor Luigi getting tormented and becoming the thing he sought to destroy. Plus a damn good remix of the original Castlevania theme.
K. Rool - The best hype moment here for me. I knew he would be in, but didn't know when. I was at work when I found out through the K. Rool thread and started building hype moments within myself. I had the biggest grin on my face when he was fully revealed after 10 years of uncertainty. His future is now secured and the hope to return in the DKC series is as big as ever. Sakurai and the team really did justice to K. Rool in his movements and little things. I am 100% satisfied with his moveset and portrayal in the game. It truly is ultimate.

LEAST HYPED MOMENTS
The Lone Blemish - The whole E3 direct was absolutely amazing, except for one thing. Waluigi being relegated to AT status again. Three consecutive times. I believe he is deserving of a playable shot this time. This got recognized by the Washington Post of all news media outlet which I did not expect at all. Then two fake Waluigi "fans' constantly harassed Sakurai's Twitter account therefore making the genuine portion of the Waluigi fanbase look bad. All the comments saying "Hur dur Waluigi izz a meme" and "Waluigi doesn't deserve to be in because of the fans". It got old real fast. People that claim that we like Waluigi for the memes alone are plain dead wrong. I have enjoyed Waluigi ever since the dawn of the century 18 years ago.
Information Drought - October was really dry month when it came to information and trailers. With nothing to talk about, all of these leaks kept coming out of the wood works, mostly by people who were seeking attention and glory.
Grinch Hoax - My interest was piqued when this thing called the Grinch Leak started coming out. It contained Banjo & Kazooie, Isaac, and Shadow. It was too good to be true. No one could really debunk the leak. My brother was very skeptical of it from the start and I personally leaned toward it due to it having two of my most wanted characters on it. There was always a chance that it could be an elaborate hoax. It created buzz in the Smash community that was dry in the month of October. Then of course it turned out to be a fake which was disappointing and that multiple people were in on it. Creating fake hype isn't a good thing and that leads to disappointment. It was funny seeing the Grinch associated with Smash for that short amount of time.
November 1st Assist Laydown - Being a Waluigi fan, one good thing was that he was confirmed as an Assist early in the cycle therefore ripping the Band-Aid off quickly. Also, as an Isaac and Shadow fan, speculation went on and they survived initial AT deconfirmations. My hope for them grew the days and months went by. Then the last direct was a difficult pill to swallow. It sucks that they were deconfirmed this late in the cycle. Both of them were deserving of slots in the roster.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Hype:
-:ultkrool:
-:ultridley:
-Everyone is here!
-The entire August Direct
-Stage hazard switch
-The game being announced in a random Direct

Unhype:
-The Box theory reality
-:ultincineroar:
-:ultpiranha:
-Most of the November Direct
-AT disconfirmations
-Vergeben's DLC leaks
-Info/calculation droughts

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Most hype
Everyone is Here - Prior to E3 I was far more pessimistic about cuts than the vast majority of users here and I was honestly expecting up to 12 veterans who could potentially not return. I was so happy to have been proven wrong.
King K Rool - Because long live the King.
World of Light - One of my main hopes for Ultimate was the return of a story mode, and I’m excited that against all odds it became a reality. I know that some people are turned off by it seemingly being only event matches with RPG elements, but I’m not too bothered by that (I felt the same formula worked fine in Soul Calibur VI’s story mode).

Least Hype
Captain Toad Deconfirmed - This is strictly a personal disappointment so I won’t dwell on it too much.
The Grinch Leak - Despite Sakurai constantly warning us not to expect too many newcomers, a certain French printing leak appears and suddenly we’re all expecting nearly as many newcomers as SSB4 had on its base roster. Just to be clear, I also believed it was most likely real (I was one of the fools who fell for that green pixel argument :facepalm:). I was however very frightened by how the community was hyping themselves up far too much over it. I feel that it contributed to making the November direct a lot more disappointing than it could have been, seeing as how a lot of us went in expecting seven newcomers because of the Grinch leak.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Time for something else.

Who was the most hype character? Who do you want to play the most?

And least?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
The most hype character was easily, easily, EASILY King K. Rool. For Echo Fighters, Daisy is the one who excites me the most. Incineroar deserves an honorable mention for being ****ing awesome, but being leaked and the face (or is it the heel?) of broken dreams kept him very far away from his potential title.

The least hype character was, indeed, Piranha Plant, mostly because there's so many assumptions being made to justify its existence, and while my most wanted wasn't disconfirmed, it just honestly came at the worst possible time. I still don't feel totally over it, like I got with Isabelle. Ken, while not a bad choice, was the least hype Echo by default. Who DIDN'T see him coming?

StormC

Smash Hero
Most Hype
Unique: :ultkrool: Who else? Not much more needs to be said about him.
Echo: :ultken: I'm not counting Richter since he's basically the real unique fighter of the Belmonts, but Ken looks fun and I've always liked him more than Ryu. It'll be nice to use that moveset with a character I actually enjoy, and his design translated really well to Smash.
Veteran: :ultsnake: After Brawl, I got into the MGS series, and Solid Snake became my favorite video game character with Metal Gear Solid as my favorite game. After the Konami fiasco I just assumed he was a no hoper until the leaks. Then... everyone was here. Having him and Cloud in the same game is incredible.

Least Hype
Unique: :ultisabelle: Seems like she's a semi-clone of Villager, which sorta kills all those "but she can summon buildings!" theorycrafting. She's cute and all, but I don't play Animal Crossing, so. Her underwhelming trailer didn't help matters.
Echo: :ultdaisy: Never really cared for her character and she doesn't seem different from Peach in any meaningful way. I would have put Chrom here, but his fans got screwed over hard in Smash 4, so I'm happy for them.
Veteran: :ultyounglink: Pichu was funny, but Young Link is blatantly unnecessary with Toon Link there.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Most hype character:

Isabelle. If I wasn't in my public library when I saw the trailer I probably would have danced around in joy.

Least hype character:

Dark Samus. I never got into the Metroid series to be interested in them and I never used Samus to begin with.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Most hype: :ultkrool:
It was gonna be :ultridley:, but the more I see of the King, the happier I am. He looks like a perfect love letter to the DK series, and I love everything about him from his trailer to his moves. Also that fantastic uSmash animation with the planking.

Most hype echo: :ultdaisy:
I'm actually inordinately excited to see another princess in Smash. I love playing as Daisy in the spinoffs (unless I can play Hammer Bro), so seeing her join the Mario crew in Smash is really cool. Plus I love her annoying voice.

Least hype: :ultinkling:
...and that's not even uncool, it's just I have no connection to Splatoon. They do 100% deserve it though. That's one of the things about this set - I'm actually decently hyped for every newcomer, unlike Sm4sh where I was bummed by most of them.

Least hype echo: :ultdarksamus:
I only cared about the Metroid series insofar as Ridley needed to be in. Otherwise, I have no attachment to the series, and I'm not really that good with Samus' moveset anyway.

Top Bottom