• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Gonna address these in sections...

-An anvil (maybe the down-air instead)
-Pistons (could be some throws)
-A chest (maybe F-Tilt)
-Sand, gravel
-Nether Portal or the End portal
This is kind of what I mean when I say 'construction'. Placing objects to attack. The Terrarian could do that too, with things like Dart/Boulder traps, Teleporters, or even the Sentry Summons like the Staff of the Frost Hydra. I also question how the Pistons would work without Redstone.

-A crossbow
Which is functionally very similar to a bow. And again, something the Terrarian does better, not just in regards to bows but the Repeaters (crossbows) as well (On top of various zany guns as well- read: The entire Minishark family of guns).

-Potions, splash potions, lingering potions
So basically temporary buffs/debuffs. Once again, the Terrarian can do it better, with flasks to imbue melee weapons, and of course various debuffs inflicted by the Terrarian's many weapons (e.g setting a foe on fire with the Solar Eruption). Heck, I could even find a means to make the moving summons of the Terrarian, such as the Slime Staff, act as buffs.

-Ender pearls
Teleporting, then? That one's pretty common. The Terrarian can do that too with the Rod of Discord.

-Elytra (the wings)
An up special and possibly a multi-jump. Once again something it's totally outclassed in by the Terrarian, who has so many different pairs of wings it's ridiculous.

-An axe, a pickaxe, a hoe, and a shovel
That's no different than smacking somebody with a frying pan, golf club or tennis racket. Plus an Axe in that regard is already used by the villager. Also once again the Terrarian can do that too, except trade the hoe with a sickle and the shovel (which is also used by Villager) with an entire set of hammers.

But regardless, we're getting off-topic. This is about Reimu, not Steve. If you want to continue this, we should take it to private messages.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Smash DLC is about having big game icons join, but I think an implicit understanding with that is that the character must be associated with Nintendo to a degree, or at least "fit" the aesthetic easily in some way. They aren't going to add Arthas or some Dota or League character, for example.
I'd argue about that, not least because of League's and Dota's upcoming spinoffs possibly getting to the Switch (Possibly, but I'm being a bit more confident in that since a Dota 2 map-turned-standalone-game is indeed coming to the Switch.). But this is not the right time to go too deep into it, I think it's best saved for when a League / Dota character is actually being rated. Someone here's already nominating a League rep as a concept.

Not saying Nintendo port = Smash Rep, otherwise we'd have Raynor / Kerrigan already (Starcraft 64, baybee!). Those ports / association help make it possible, I agree on that. I'm pretty (overly) bullish on their chances, but I'm fully aware that it's pretty much reliant on Sakurai taking an interest in the genre. Which itself isn't a guarantee.

To be fair a Touhou fangame has a lot more weight than one for another franchise. Hell, for one, they're selling those on the eShop and physically with no repercussions.
That's very much true, I'm just not sure how big of a factor it actually is. Still, Nintendo's open to Touhou as an IP, so that's a potentially major positive in its own right.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Gonna address these in sections...

This is kind of what I mean when I say 'construction'. Placing objects to attack. The Terrarian could do that too, with things like Dart/Boulder traps, Teleporters, or even the Sentry Summons like the Staff of the Frost Hydra. I also question how the Pistons would work without Redstone.

Which is functionally very similar to a bow. And again, something the Terrarian does better, not just in regards to bows but the Repeaters (crossbows) as well (On top of various zany guns as well- read: The entire Minishark family of guns).

So basically temporary buffs/debuffs. Once again, the Terrarian can do it better, with flasks to imbue melee weapons, and of course various debuffs inflicted by the Terrarian's many weapons (e.g setting a foe on fire with the Solar Eruption). Heck, I could even find a means to make the moving summons of the Terrarian, such as the Slime Staff, act as buffs.

Teleporting, then? That one's pretty common. The Terrarian can do that too with the Rod of Discord.

An up special and possibly a multi-jump. Once again something it's totally outclassed in by the Terrarian, who has so many different pairs of wings it's ridiculous.

That's no different than smacking somebody with a frying pan, golf club or tennis racket. Plus an Axe in that regard is already used by the villager. Also once again the Terrarian can do that too, except trade the hoe with a sickle and the shovel (which is also used by Villager) with an entire set of hammers.

But regardless, we're getting off-topic. This is about Reimu, not Steve. If you want to continue this, we should take it to private messages.
Steve just has to flip a lever to use the piston, plus even without one it's not like Smash always follows canon. Which is how Isabelle is fighting.

I don't see how it's any "better" when they're all just shooting projectiles, even if the projectiles have different effects. It's not like he could somewhat spam stuff like in Terraria, or Minecraft's Beta (and possibly current-day but I believe they added a cooldown for all throwable projectiles (bow has to charge for distance), albeit it's kinda short so *shrug*).

Potions can include just lobbing a Potion of Harming at an opponent for instant damage, maybe charge it for a higher-level effect.

The ender pearl has to touch something to teleport Steve. It could be an up-special to throw at a ledge or an opponent. It wouldn't be like the Rod of Discord.

It's still a pair of wings that work differently from the wings in Terraria, and more like the Wing Cap from Super Mario 64. Could be combined with Fireworks to launch you higher, like in Minecraft. I don't think the variety of wings matters.

Tools can be used differently; swing an axe around, swing a pickaxe down to spike people off a ledge, swing the hoe from underneath, etc. Just because they have the same weapons doesn't mean they have to be used the same; different fighting styles, y'know.

This is really just a matter of opinion and preference, so meh, I won't continue it if you don't want to. Terraria has a lot of unique stuff, yes, but Minecraft has its fair share of stuff as well. It still counts to show that Steve still has a wide arsenal, definitely more than "he's just Link or Villager."

Last edited:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
The anvil and TNT wouldn't work as Aerials though. After all, you can't place blocks without another block to connect it to- one of Minecraft's core rules. In order to get falling anvils you need to either push an anvil off a ledge or remove the block underneath one.

I don't see how it's any "better" when they're all just shooting projectiles, even if the projectiles have different effects. It's not like he could somewhat spam stuff like in Terraria
Some of the Terrarian's Bows have wildly different properties, like converting wooden arrows or changing where the arrows even come from (Hello Daedalus Stormbow!), and that's not getting into the arrow types themselves.

That's all I'm responding to now. Now if we want to continue debating Steve, we should do it in PMs so as to not derail this thread.

Last edited:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
All this Steve talk is off-topic, please knock it off.
Sorry about that. Back to Reimu.

One thing that appeals to me about Reimu is that it's not only easy to create a moveset for her, but there's a lot of potential for unique mechanics. Perhaps freeform flight akin to Hisoutensoku, which act as Third and Fourth jumps?

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Sorry about that. Back to Reimu.

One thing that appeals to me about Reimu is that it's not only easy to create a moveset for her, but there's a lot of potential for unique mechanics. Perhaps freeform flight akin to Hisoutensoku, which act as Third and Fourth jumps?
Her up B would be some form or free flight, but with a timer. Make her aerials shoot projectiles for example and you'd have an annoying flying Reimu spamming projos. Just like in the actual games, yay! To compensate, increase her landing lag after her up b depending on how many projos she spammed.

That'd make her an edgeguarding monster but not so much of an aerial dogfighter. Rushdown characters finding an opening would (and should) be a pain to her.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
but not so much of an aerial dogfighter
That wouldn't make much sense, considering that Touhou is basically all about what are essentially aerial dogfights (except with magical girls, basically). I'd make her Up B her trademark Ascension Kick (Which is basically a Flash Kick) instead.

Only a few of Reimu's aerials should shoot projectiles, imo. But it should mostly be saved for her side, down and neutral specials.

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
That wouldn't make much sense, considering that Touhou is basically all about what are essentially aerial dogfights (except with magical girls, basically). I'd make her Up B her trademark Ascension Kick (Which is basically a Flash Kick) instead.

Only a few of Reimu's aerials should shoot projectiles, imo. But it should mostly be saved for her side, down and neutral specials.
Yes they're essentially dog fights... but at a distance. Not close quarters. When you have enemies coming from the side or behind you, you're in a bad spot because you've got almost no options for that. On the other hand, when you're fighting bosses, you're almost always at the other end of the screen, which is more or less your safe zone. Gotta translate that vulnerability into smash.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda torn on how much projectiles should be emphasized in Reimu's moveset. On the one hand, I can understand giving her a lot of projectiles to emphasize her origins in bullet hell, though aside from spell cards her projectiles are mostly needles and Ofuda/Talismans. On the other, she has a plethora of moves to take from the fighters, namely kicks and gohei swings, and I think you can emphasize the sort of one-touch-death game-feel by making Reimu fast but light and giving her tippers on a lot of her moves to encourage good spacing. Also, the grounded fighters have an aerial dash mechanic, called grazing, which I would select for her up-b. Either way moveset potential is the least of Reimu's worries, and I trust Sakurai to design her uniquely and faithfully.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think there is a good balance of melee and projectiles to be hit with Reimu. For example, take this video with her moveset from Urban Legend in Limbo:

As you can see, there is a decent mix between both kinds of moves. It's interesting that she seems to be considered a rushdown character in that game, when people (myself included) tend to think she'd be a zoner in Smash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
alright. The Steve argument wasn't my intention, but y'know...I'm sorry. I really was just bringing up Minecraft in a silly manner originally since the description sounded like it, and I wasn't expecting Terraria vs. Minecraft to come up today after both have existed for so long and both are good games with many differences...

As for Reimu, I don't really know what to say about her. I think she'd be cool, but I don't know much about Touhou and I learned of its existence by someone or something mentioning it while I was doing some Undertale stuff back in 2016; either I first knew of it when I downloaded one of its games' soundfonts for Undertale-related music, or it was simply because of seeing people bring up the fact that Undertale was inspired by Touhou alongside EarthBound and whatever.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm kinda torn on how much projectiles should be emphasized in Reimu's moveset. On the one hand, I can understand giving her a lot of projectiles to emphasize her origins in bullet hell, though aside from spell cards her projectiles are mostly needles and Ofuda/Talismans. On the other, she has a plethora of moves to take from the fighters, namely kicks and gohei swings, and I think you can emphasize the sort of one-touch-death game-feel by making Reimu fast but light and giving her tippers on a lot of her moves to encourage good spacing. Also, the grounded fighters have an aerial dash mechanic, called grazing, which I would select for her up-b. Either way moveset potential is the least of Reimu's worries, and I trust Sakurai to design her uniquely and faithfully.
Definitely! My personal vision of Reimu is a zoner who's a nightmare for other zoners in particular, but struggles to kill, and blows up fast if you ever get in on her. I think problems killing would do a lot to offset the necessary strength of her projectile/aerial game.

alright. The Steve argument wasn't my intention, but y'know...I'm sorry. I really was just bringing up Minecraft in a silly manner originally since the description sounded like it, and I wasn't expecting Terraria vs. Minecraft to come up today after both have existed for so long and both are good games with many differences...

As for Reimu, I don't really know what to say about her. I think she'd be cool, but I don't know much about Touhou and I learned of its existence by someone or something mentioning it while I was doing some Undertale stuff back in 2016; either I first knew of it when I downloaded one of its games' soundfonts for Undertale-related music, or it was simply because of seeing people bring up the fact that Undertale was inspired by Touhou alongside EarthBound and whatever.
Touhou has 6 official fighting games, so Reimu's actually appeared in more fighting games than anyone in the Smash cast who's not from a fighting game series themselves (and that's counting the Smash games!) Out of all the possible newcomers, she has some of the strongest obvious moveset potential thanks to this.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
so Reimu's actually appeared in more fighting games than anyone in the Smash cast who's not from a fighting game series themselves (and that's counting the Smash games!)
Sonic comes close at 5, assuming Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U are treated as one game.

Of course, this could be counted as equals if you count Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and Hisoutensoku as one game, as the latter is just an expansion pack to the former. I definitely agree that her fighting game appearances give her a lot of moveset potential though.

I think problems killing would do a lot to offset the necessary strength of her projectile/aerial game.
That's how I would make it. Really good projectiles and the single best air mobility in the game, but low kill power, save for maybe one or two risky moves.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Zoner is a category for Reimu since she has a lot of magic spells. While I haven't dive deep into the touhou games, she can use her rod as a physical while using her shrine maiden techniques.

Though, IDK if she could have a gimmick of building magic to making her attacks more powerful by succesfully parrying attack or going rush down. Balence would be she can't store it unlike Hero's MP.
In touhou bullet hell, its a high risk of rushing in for damage while avoiding being hit to manage space and using spells.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Zoner is a category for Reimu since she has a lot of magic spells. While I haven't dive deep into the touhou games, she can use her rod as a physical while using her shrine maiden techniques.
Well, it's not necessarily magic. For Reimu it's more sacred arts like exorcism and the like.

In touhou bullet hell, its a high risk of rushing in for damage while avoiding being hit to manage space and using spells.
Not quite. In mainline Touhou games, Player Spell Cards are treated as 'Bombs', which are basically panic buttons- you get limited uses of them, but they (usually) deal immense damage to bosses and clear away bullets. (Said Bombs are also completely different between player characters. For Instance, in LoLK, Reimu gets her trademark Fantasy Seal, sending out homing orbs of light, Marisa gets her trademark Master Spark, a giant laser beam, Sanae gets Wily Toad, a delayed, screen-wide nuke, and Reisen gets Barrier Wave, which creates a temporary 3-health barrier around her, which acts as 3 extra hits, and is the game's non-conventional bomb). On top of this, most player attacks do the same damage regardless of whether you're close-up or far away from an enemy. And sometimes, being closer to a boss can help you avoid an attack... like a certain baka's most famous spell card- to the point where Spell Cards that have obvious, easily abusable safe spots are often put into video montage named after said spell card, complete with Beloved Tomboyish Girl playing in the background, like so:

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
No, Patrick, Touhou is Not an Anime

Chance: 50%
Things have never looked better for the shrine maiden's franchise. Sakurai's comments bring to mind a sense of wanting to bring more Japan-centric franchises to the global stage - and you'd find few landlocked franchises as major as Touhou. Dragon Quest already proved that it's fine if your appeal is mostly Japan-centric, and Fatal Fury proved that it's fine if your home platform isn't a Nintendo console either. Reimu doesn't even really need the "indie" card - Touhou's big enough that it could get into Smash all by itself.

Of course, that would directly pit it against all the other major players in the game industry, which is where I think the major issue really is for this franchise. Whereas most other companies are old industry giants that work by the same rules that Nintendo does, Touhou is run by a one-man show who issues little more than guidelines to the titanic multimedia juggernaut that follows in his wake, a nebulous mass of intrepid fans and opportunistic third-parties that expand the Touhou brand however they like. While other inclusions can be seen as investments towards better company relationships, adding Reimu under that logic would be more like building a sign at the waterhole and hoping the wild horses come to drink.

That's the risk as I see it from Nintendo's perspective. From Sakurai's, I believe that he might find a lot to appreciate about a game that inspired dozens of other games to be made, and a magical shrine maiden is hardly lacking in moveset potential. If everyone is willing (and it sure seems like ZUN is more open to collaboration than ever), then there's not much else in the way of this happening.

Want: 40%
While I haven't got any personal attachments to the character, she'd certainly be unique addition to the cast. I'd certainly prefer to see an indie that's actually stood the test of time over any that merely clamour about their significance.

Nominations
Thrall x5

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Reimu

45% Chance

Yeah, I am on the side of slightly less likely than not, but still a solid chance.

Competition being out of the way for Reimu does a lot. While perhaps not what you think of first for indies, her main competition among supported indies has kinda dried up. Shovel Knight got the honor of becoming and Assist Trophy, Sans got his music and the best mii costume in the game, and Shantae got a spirit. When you think of big indies that had any real following for Smash, those three are the main ones coming to mind. Her only other indie competition is Steve, which is both stretching it as indie at this point and also something I am not super confident in right now.

Now, people might say franchises being too locked to one region is a death knell. I disagree. Hero showed that having a minor presence in all but one region is not an issue. Dragon Quest prior to Hero was extremely niche in the west, while a juggernaut in the East (and it did ok in Europe I heard). While Reimu does not apply to the same extent, the basic principles stay the same.

I guess my main gripe is despite being a go to in the realm of bullet hells, Reimu has a lot of competition in general. For me, the things I have the most confidence in are big names like Crash and Resident Evil. The goal of DLC is to get as many people to hop aboard to smash it feels like to me, I feel they will go for the biggest crossover appeal possible.

100% Want

She's alright in my book. I mean her franchise has a killer soundtrack and is extremely fun. I like bullet hells

Nominating Lloyd Irving x 5

day ends tonight

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Chance: inevitable (100%)
Chance: 100%
Did Reimu get leaked? Because that's the only reason you should give any character a 100% chance. I wouldn't argue if you said 99% or something, but 100%? Come on.

As for my own ratings, I think I'll abstain this week. I don't really know enough about Touhou to give a good rating. (But even if I did, my chance score would definitely not be 100%.)
Predicting a 20% chance for the Tekken guy.
Nominating Ryu Hayabusa from the Ninja Gaiden series 5 times.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Wow. This has to be ths longest debate I have ever seen in this thread. Even the debates on Saber during her day wasn't this long.

I guess it shows that many people are supportive for Reimu.
Being fair, the Saber debate had to be stopped because it was getting too heated up with the discussion about sexual themes.

That said, to the ratings:
Chance: 30%-She may be an indie, but not a complete foreigner to Nintendo, and if there's anything I've learned from Terry is that you can't discount any character without looking at their history first. Sometimes what may look like a foreigner to you may have more going for them than you think. Sadly, indies don't go far into Smash. Shovel Knight? Assist Trophy. Shantae? Spirit. Sans? Mii costume. Reimu doesn't have that much going for her to guarantee a unique character.
Want: 50%-I'll be sincere, I've become pretty neutral about most possible characters that could happen in Smash. The only ones I'm against right now are just your average FE and Pokémon characters, but that's just because I'd rather keep the trend of "brand-new franchises only" going, simply because there's more value into that kind of characters than promotional ones, and even then, I don't hesitate ads anymore.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Day over

rate Jin Kazama from Tekken and predict Velvet Crowe from Tales.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This is the best title typo we've ever had, please don't change it

Garfield's owner

Chance: 0%
Jin will not get in over Heihachi. He's the main character, and the mascot, the one that got in to rep Tekken in Smash in every way (Mii Costume, Pac-Man's taunt), Sakurai's mentioned him and only him, even PlayStation All-Stars "Raiden over Snake" Battle Royale put him in. Bandai Namco has shown themselves willing to use Heihachi even after his VA's passing (not to mention that this isn't even the first VA to die), so the character isn't retired.

Want: 0%
Why would I want anyone from Tekken that isn't Heihachi before Heihachi? Afterwards, sure, though Jin isn't really the most interesting side character in the series, but yeah, I'd take him as a second Tekken rep.

Noms: Prince of Persia x5
Velvet Crowe prediction: She's gaining traction, but conventional Smash wisdom has her under Yuri and especially Lloyd, so 8.73%

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Jon Doe... I mean, Kazama

Chance: 1%
No way Jin gets in before Heihachi. Many people tend to forget that. YareYare741 pretty much said it all already. Then again, Jin does have a few tricks Heihachi doesn't so maybe from a gameplay perspective he could get an edge? That's why I'm giving him a whole percent.

I honestly never had real good fun with Tekken. The fun I did have playing Tekken was because my friends and I would banter or do stupid stuff, like spamming a move or sandbagging. Some characters were more fun than others but compared to Smash or Soul Calibur? Nah. I'm just not a Tekken fan.

Predictions: Velvet - 11.3%
Lloyd has a better shot at being the rep, but her unique moveset potential might give her the edge. Also she's a girl, but I don't think Sakurai cares about that.

Nominations: Riesz x5

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Jin Kazama

Chance: 10%
Want: 5%

If we're getting a Tekken character its going to be one of the Mishima family. Obviously Heihachi is the obvious choice and by far the most likely. Hell he's one of the more likely DLC characters. But there's still a world Sakurai picks Kazuya or Jin (or Yoshimitsu if Sakurai wants both a Tekken and Soul Calibur rep) but Jin is third on that list. He isn't introduced until Tekken 3 and Heihachi is probably the main character of Tekken (even if he almost always plays an antagonist) but Jin is the protagonist Tekken 3-5 which isn't nothing. But then Tekken 7 pivots back to Kazuya/Heihachi so who knows. Tekken isn't as clear cut as Street Fighter/Fatal Fury.

We need more old boys in Smash. Don't need another younger skewing fighter, give me Heihachi with silver hair and a moustache. (Oh you expected me to have something more substantial to say after yesterday? Nope, you're not getting that for a while). Tekken is cool, but Jin is probably not the right choice.

Nominate: Goose with no name x5

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
EDIT: I have researched Tekken so here goes?
A Dude
Chance:35%:
Jin IMO is pretty likely as a rep, on par with Heihachi. Reasoks is, he is the closest thing to a hero the Two men games have, as well as being very prominent in marketing, which definitely puts him above Kazuya. Also he looks to be the protagonist for Tekken 8 when that comes which bumps him up even more.
Want:75% Tekken representation would be cool, plus it would be the 2nd time Tekken, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, and Fatal Fury crossed over (Tekken 7). As well, Jin could be pretty unique with his Devil form. But Heihachi does sound as interesting as Jin. Definitely tied for both chance AND want in my eyes IMO.

Nominations: Blaze x5

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm just gonna abstain, not because of not knowing how to score him, but because I have nothing to say

Nominate no more stages after the pass x5

Prediction 3%

D

Deleted member

Jin Kazama: The other Tekken Guy

Chance: 15%
I feel like Tekken as a franchise is one of the most influential 3rd party franchises yet to get any character and with Smash Ultimate DLC focusing a lot on third party characters Tekken has a massive chance in my opinion it's one of the more likely franchises to get a character yet that doesn't mean Jin has an instant 50+ chance no way as there are other characters to choose from and characters I feel Sakurai would choose from first.

Mainly Heihachi of course as he was considered for Smash 4 and he was even the only Tekken Character to get a Mii Costume so I say that's a good grasp on how Sakurai feels about Heihachi and if Tekken got a character it would be him. Sure there's the hard to transition Heihachi's/Tekken's flow into Smash problem but Sakurai also said that he had a hard time getting Ridley to work in the past and he's now in the game so like all of us he's human and could make a workaround.

Though if he still has trouble getting Heihachi to work and still wants a Tekken Character I could see him going for Jin Kazama but that's the only way I could see him going for Jin instead of Heihachi.

Want: 20%
I feel like Tekken should get a rep and that it would be fun to see Tekken get a rep so I would really be open to any Tekken character though if I had my way I would go with Heihachi as I like the dude more and I feel like he would offer more to Smash than Jin plus we don't have any character that fits the "Bad*** Old man" role and I like those characters like Master Roshi (DBZ) or Rayleigh (One Piece) for example.

Nominate: Concept: First Parties after the pass x5

Last edited by a moderator:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Im sorry Jin
Chance: 0.1%
Heihachi would simply have more priority. Nothing much else to say. Tekken representation also isn't looking that likely to begin with with Heihachi already having a cameo, his VA's passing, the competition from other Namco series and the fact that we just recently got a different fighting series represented.

Haven't played Tekken, I don't know if that series would be my first choice for another Namco character. Plus Heihachi just seems more appealing imo.

Rayman x5
Velvet Crowe: 5.85%

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Some songs to get into the Jin mood:

Ratings coming soon

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Jin Kazama

Chances: 10%
I'll be blunt, there is no Tekken character that will get in before Heihachi. Now Jin and Kazuya have the benefit of being main characters in the story, but that means absolutely nothing when Heihachi is the mascot of the game and is constantly used in crossovers. Katsuhiro Harada, the director of Tekken, has gone on to say that Heihachi is his favorite character. Masahiro Sakurai, the director of Smash, has gone on to say that during Smash 4's development he considered Heihachi alongside Pac-Man. If Heihachi wasn't a factor I'd rate Jin higher, but there is no way he or Kazuya will get in over Heihachi as the first Tekken rep.

Want: 30%
I do like Jin, but I like Kazuya more, and I like Heihachi the most. I want Heihachi to be the first Tekken rep and then I might start considering the others. It just wouldn't be right if anyone else got in before Heihachi.

Prediction : Velvet 6.72%
Nomination : Heihachi x5

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Jin Kazama

Chance 1%

Some people on here have already stolen my thunder. Heavy competition from Heihachi who is the mascot of the series and is featured more heavily in crossovers, and Sakurai himself singled out Heihachi as the one Tekken character he considered for Smash 4. With that said, Jin has been the main protagonist since Tekken 3 and has been on most of the games' front cover so that does help a little bit. Not to mention, Sakurai always brings in the main protagonist of the games before or at least the same time as the villain. Mario, Link and Kirby before their respective villains for example. What's interesting is that Sans is the first Undertale character to be represented before the main character, even if he's only a mii costume. Whether or not that means that Sakurai is starting to open up to the idea of putting in villians before the main protagonists if they are more iconic or the mascot, that is up to debate.

Still, while it's been a little while, the fact that Sakurai only brought up Heihachi is quite telling.

Want: Abstain

Never played Tekken. My biggest connection with the series is PS All Stars Battle Royale. I feel that I don't have enough knowledge about the character to give him a fair want score.

Noms: rerate Geno x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Jin Kazama

Chance: 5%
It's hard to see a Tekken character get in before Heihachi. He's practically the face of the series and was even considered by Sakurai in SSB4. Yes there is the issue of his voice actor passing away, but he's had numerous voice actors in the past as well (one of which also passed away in between games). His appearance in the King of Fighters All-Star mobile game where characters are fully voiced eliminates any argument that they are done with him appearing in spin-offs. As for Jin himself, even when ignoring Heihachi he'd have to compete with Kazuya as well as other possible Namco characters.

Want: Abstain
Never really got into Tekken so I won't comment. All I'll say is with Terry finally making it in though I'm a bit more open to other fighting game series getting into Smash.

Velvet Crowe chance prediction: 6.73% (I'm expecting this rating to be similar to Jin's in that they have a ton of competition within their own series)

Nominations:
Kyo Kusanagi x5

Top Bottom