• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Master Chief

Chance: 20%
Want: 0%

Another member of the "Now that they've got a game on Switch, they should get in Smash!" crew. Not that I'm knocking that since that's the crux of the argument for one of my favorites...

Doom's got a lot going for it right now. It is one of the progenitors of the FPS genre, which is something that is not represented in Smash. Doom's got a lot from the earlier Nintendo consoles, so we do have the history argument, and the recent Doom port for Switch did very very well, and it's also got a new game on the horizon, which has a lot of hype around it. Plus, there is a decent fanbase which has popped up around it, unfortunately a bit late for the ballot though. Not to mention that curious interview with Pete Hines that Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash, and yet there's nothing Beth in the base game. There are quite a few signs pointing to a potential inclusion from a Beth character.

But, I'll let my bias take over from here...

Doom is violent. Like, really really violent. True: we've got all the M-rated goodness of Snake and Bayo toned down for Smash, but Doom kinda sorta centers around its M-ratedness in a way similar to Mortal Kombat selling itself by its fatalities - yeah, it's a fighting game and doesn't need them, but take them out and people start to question it (see MKvsDC or Armageddon even removing unique fatalities). We can censor Snake and it'll still mostly feel like Snake. If we censor Doom...it'll feel a bit like generic space marine #57.

Latching onto that point, we all like to talk about how acclaimed it is, but nobody seems to talk about whether it's got worldwide appeal. We're all quick to claim that Tingle's out since America hates him, but we'll throw out characters like Doomguy without considering what Japan may think of them. Now I'm admittedly not looking very hard, but isn't it a huge stereotype that Japan's really not a fan of FPSs? Or super gritty violence in general? So do they even like him? And who's picking the DLC characters? If NoJ is involved and that's not a big player...let's just say that's not exactly looking good.

Finally, there's also the dragon in the room - now Doomguy (and Vault boy)'s definitely got the advantage over Dovahkiin just because they've been around much longer, been in more games, and have that Nintendo history. But Skyrim does have a few things on Doom....well, I'll save those arguments for the Dragonborn's day. Still, Both Doom and Fallout are not originally Bethesda properties, they were acquired, but Elder Scrolls is Bethesda through and through. If Bethesda had a choice, would they prefer their baby they made from scratch, or the one they bought? Sure, it could be irrelevant, but the meme isn't Todd Howard trying to port Doom to literally everything with a microchip. (Yeah, that meme exists too, but that's more random people porting the original Doom to various things, not Bethesda execs doing so)

Of course, there's also the dark horse FPS character in Master Chief as well, which people are also considering as an alternative to Banjo/Steve as a Microsoft rep. While people will probably come after me with pitchforks for suggesting this, there's a lot of thematic overlap between Doomguy and Master Chief (and even Samus to an extent...). NOTE THIS DOESN'T MEAN I'M STUPID ENOUGH TO THINK THOSE GAMES ARE LITERALLY THE SAME! But if I were to say that we're getting a power-armored badass marine from a Western FPS wearing a OD green metal suit and using a decently large energy gun, there's still some ambiguity who I could be referring to.

So I'll say that I wouldn't care whether or not Doomguy got in - assuming Beth's other big "D" got in first. But until I can "Fus Ro Dah!" characters off the edge of Final Destination, I'm staying off of the Doom train.

Nom: More DLC x5

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
DOOM DUDE, DOOM MAN, DOOM BOI, DOOM GUY, DOOM THING, DOOM WHO THE HELL KNOWS?
Chance: 1%
Want: 5%

Let's just call him the Doom Slayer. Yeah, that sounds pretty bad***! Too bad his chances seem to be doomed. (Sorry I had to.) Doom Slayer is owned by Bethesda, a third party western developer that is currently being attacked over the dumpster fire called Fallout 76. From bugs and glitches, to duffel bags, to broken promises over returns, this game turned out to be an abomination, and people are actually filing lawsuits against Bethesda over it. Which is sad considering Bethesda has 2 reps to choose from for Smash Bros. Doom Slayer and Dovahkiin. (Vault Boy has zero moveset potential and makes no sense to be in Smash) After the massive damage and lawsuits caused by Fallout 76, I'm assuming Bethesda will probably not be willing to put in the money to add a character to Smash. Even without this disaster happening, the chances would still be slim. Doom itself is a very dark first person shooter all about ripping the skulls of demons in half while in hell... Yeah... already, he shares major problems with Scorpion. A character who's main appeal is blood and gore. Without that, he would feel very bare-bones. Putting him in Smash Bros would dumb down the character, and he would lose his appeal. Snake and Bayonetta are rated M characters but Snake was fine, and Bayonetta only needed minor toning down. It made its way onto the Switch, but that's the only reason he has a 1% chance score. He also has competition with the Dragonborne, Dovahkiin, who is also on Switch, is more iconic, and would draw a lot more appeal. He also more support than Doom Slayer, and I know this is one of CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica 's most wanted characters. He would be cooler in Smash, and wouldn't suffer from being dumbed. down, while also generating a lot more money. Besides, we already have characters in robotic suits with arm cannons. (Samus) As for want, I've never played Doom, and I don't really care much for Doom Slayer. I'd rather see Dovahkiin myself. Time to say "FUS RO DAH" to this guy, and he will meet his doom in Ultra Space.

Predictions: Travis Touchdown 12.5%

Nominations: Reaper x5

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The end is here... looks we've finally reached...

Doom's Day

Chance: 10%
Bethesda apparently talked to Nintendo recently so that does open up a few doors for him. Doom Eternal's release next year may also spark more interest for Doom Slayer's inclusion. That said however, I just can't see them adding a character from a series famous for its violence. Yes I know Snake and Bayonetta are from rated M games but their games don't have such a heavy emphasis on gore. Also unless I'm mistaken, Doom isn't all that popular in Japan which may hurt his chances.

Want: 15%
I wouldn't mind him too much considering Doom's impact on gaming. However I'm usually against realistic/gritty third parties unless they have an incredibly strong history with Nintendo. Not to mention there are a ton of other third parties I'd prefer to see.

Travis Touchdown chance prediction: 3.27%

Nominations:
Concept: SNK rep x10 (using my 5 extra noms from my correct Erdrick chance prediction)

Off topic but with the Game Awards this Thursday and hints that Nintendo may announce something, should we have a day (or maybe a double day) where we predict if something will be announced?

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Doom Guy

Chance: 5%
Bethesda talked to Nintendo...doesn't mean anything came of it. Really, Doom Guy is from an M-rated game made by a Western third party. None of those completely disqualify him, but they lower his chances. Also, just having your game ported to a Nintendo console doesn't do much, especially when it was exclusive to Nintendo's competitors before that. He's still not really associated with Nintendo or the Switch.

Don't really care for FPS games, not too big on most games with an M rating either. He and his games just don't appeal to me. And it's not like he has anything that really warrants him a spot in my eyes; he's not really associated with Nintendo and isn't really a gaming icon on the level of Sonic, Pac-Man, etc. He falls way short of clearing the third-party bar for me.

Noms: Andy x5

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Doomguy:

Chance: 10%. He's not a spirit, so he's in the running. However, there's nothing really going for him besides a switch port, so I'm gonna stick with my default: 10%.

Want: 15%. I don't know much about him, but I do know that there are other characters I'd rather have as a Rated M rep, like Monokuma, Master Chief (ehhhh They're similar, but he's more iconic), a Skyrim Rep, or someone else. I don't hate him, but I don't know him.

Nominations: No Fan Favorites x5.

Last edited:

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Doomguy:

Given that Bethesda met with Nintendo and Doom is a piece of gaming history, I believe that Doomguy has a nonzero chance at inclusion. However, Doom is a tremendously violent video game, which wouldn't be as much of a problem if it wasn't so crucial to the Doomguy's identity and thus could be omitted without leaving a hole in Doom's representation. It's not a stretch to imagine Nintendo wouldn't agree to such graphic carnage, so I can't see Doomguy flying on any more than a wing and a prayer.

Want: 30%

Doom, as I mentioned before, is an icon in the gaming world, being the grandfather of the FPS, and that contribution alone warrants my respect. Furthermore, Doomguy's design is, overall, inoffensive to me. However, I believe that Doomguy would be somewhat out of place in Smash, and he's not a character who I actively want to join the battle.

Nominations: Porky x5

Edit: Prediction: 5.01%

Last edited:

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Doomguy

Chance-10%
Doomguy is... A thing I think. How much of a thing he is though is questionable. Bethesda DID discuss Smash with Nintendo so... It is a possibility. Though with Dovahkiin and Fallout existing, I'm not sure.

Want-0%
I'm sorry, but I've always seen him as a bit generic. I get that he is the grandfather of all shooty shoots, but still. I mean, if they can come-up with something then great.

Nominations- DLC Stages/Bosses x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Doomguy

Let me preface this by stating how much I despise when people refer to him as Doom Slayer. That’s a ****ing stupid name.

Now for chance... bad. We don’t know if being Western hurts, but it certainly appears to be. Japan hates FPSs. He has competition with Dovahkiin and BJ, both of whom are iconic, and also a ton of overlap with Master Chief. He is iconic, influential, and Doom deserves a spot but... his moveset seems like it would be very ****ing boring. Just give me Master Chief as the space marine and BJ as the Bethesda/id Rep.

Want: I don’t even know what to rate him. I love Doom and think it merits a spot, but I just wouldn’t want to see him. 35%

Noms: Mach Rider x5

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Doomguy

He may be the grandfather of FPS games, but when it comes to being in Smash, there are a lot of hurdles he has to face. First of all, he's rather violent and I don't think Smash is a good place for someone like him. Another thing to note is that he's from a western company and given how Shovel Knight and Shantae ended up in Smash, I really think his (and pretty much any Bethesda characters in general) chances are quite low. And finally, when it comes to Bethesda themselves, it's most likely they would pick someone more popular like Dovahkiin or someone from Fallout.

Want: 5%
FPS games are not really my forte and that includes Doomguy himself. Besides, even if I DO want a FPS rep, I would rather pick Master Chief, who is more iconic than Doomguy despite having almost no connection to Nintendo. From Bethesda, I would pick Dovahkiin over Doomguy any day of the week.

Travis Touchdown Prediction: 5.78%

Nominations:
Nero Claudius (Fate) x5

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I know people want to dismiss him as only considered because of a port of 2016, but it's important to note that Doom 64 is a Nintendo exclusive, and 2016 literally starts by proving it's canon. The Doom Slayer timeline goes 1-2-64-2016-eternal, and the only platform holder you can legally play all those games on on is Nintendo (GBA, GBA, 64, Switch, Switch). Not even PC got Doom 64, they have to emulate it to pull off his entire story line.

Now don't get me wrong I don't think he's very likely (the eternal super shotgun is probably still too realistic for Nintendo despite being the silliest it's ever looked), but dismissing 64 when it's now as relevant as it's probably ever been is just wrong.

I'm not putting a number chance, because with only 500% to go round I'd need to be more careful splitting everything than I have the will to (and outside of Slime I wan't planning to reply to this thread again)...

but I'll put a want in: 70%
Fighting Ridley to Rip and Tear, pumping a shotgun into Link and using a chainsaw smash attack against Mario... is just exactly what smash should be... a mash up of the greatest video-game heroes, doing their stuff. My number 4 most wanted... and I'd love to see him! But it's not like Slime where I can barely contain my want. If Doom Slayer doesn't happen I'm not going to be too sad, but if he does I will be very excited.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Doom Guy:
Chance: 5%-I just have a problem seeing a western guest in the game. Not to mention, we're talking about a very gory character that abuses firearms and ripping techniques, don't know how you won't trigger CERO or the ESRB even if you get around that stuff. Also, not that I want to throw shades or anything, but how is Dovahkin any more popular? I'm pretty sure most people would call him "Skyrim guy" if he were revealed.
Want: 10%-I'll be fine with him, but I won't shed tears if he doesn't make it. There's other guest characters I'd rather see.
Nomination: All-guests Passx5

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
0/0 Doom is almost too gritty for western audiences let alone Japan. I think if we get shooter representation it will be the much more cartoony Overwatch.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Doomguy:

Chance - 5%

Iconic and Bethesda talked to Nintendo but yea I don't know how you would turn down the violence for him. Alos I feel other third parties are more likely at this point. I don't know what else to say now..

Want - Abstain

Never played Doom, not big into FPS.

Nominations: Rhythm Girl x5

Also quick question, will we do rerates eventually?

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
The DOOM Slayer (and yes, he's called that since "Doomguy" has and will always be an unofficial nickname.)

Chance: A good 40-50%.

Do thee not know how Doom not only has 2 Switch ports (2016 and Eternal, the latter available at launch), but also a SNES port (Doom), two GBA ports (Doom 1 and 2) and a console-exclusive N64 title (creatively named Doom 64)??!?! (Though Cheezey Bites thankfully gets this, proving that at least one other person here knows).

Doom was never always about gratuitous blood, guts and gore. Despite being lambasted for its violence, Classic Doom's relatively tame sprite animations haven't exactly aged too well in that department. Said violence and gore were only cemented in the minds of the Doom fanbase by a combination of the morally-panicked cries of clueless parents/priests and Brutal Doom's widespread infamy (which the modern iteration of Doom takes plenty of inspiration from). That's not even getting to the other rated-M characters like Bayonetta being added in (and don't you even think the Smash Ballot excused her, Nintendo and Sakurai were well within their right to pick a more inoffensive runner-up over whoever became the ballot winner), who is arguably even more sadistically violent than the Doom Slayer is (at least he's efficient with his kills and doesn't stoop to torturing them in often BDSM-suggestive contraptions).

One of the big comments made about Ridley's inclusion was the sheer brutality of his moveset/animations. How would this be any different for the Doom Slayer? Would the scrubbing away of the red stuff and the more overtly satanic imagery detract from the merciless, wrathful rampage wrought upon by a pair of fists, a sharp blade and an excess of lead? Hell no! What many people also tend to forget is that the Doom Slayer can also be humorously expressive (fist bumps, anyone) and has a comedic, tongue-in-cheek attitude that many people prefer to gloss over with the sound of "Merr, violence". What better way to juxtapose his pure rage with this fluffier side than in the (mostly) lighthearted Smash universe.

Speaking of guns, I ask you to take a good, long, hard look at some of the weapons in Eternal's lineup (which will most likely be the one used prominently) and ask yourself this question: Do these weapons bear enough resemblance to contemporary firearms to warrant the Doom Slayer's exclusion? The answer? Of course not! These things would either count as being futuristic-looking enough and/or possessing an appropriate amount of fantastic additions which bring them well outside the realms of reality (double-barrel shotgun with a grappling hook attachment in the form of twin chain-fired blades which can only latch onto organic targets, anyone?)

To those thinking the Dovahkiin has a chance... please stop, you've had one too many flasks of Sleeping Tree sap. This person has less character than the Doom Slayer (no doubt due to being a literal blank canvas which the player fills in the details, including gender and race), only has a single port to his name (as opposed to five plus a console-exclusive title) and whose home game doesn't exactly possess any sort of notable legacy on par with Doom being "the king of the FPS genre". Sure, Bethesda would likely prefer a home-grown game's inclusion, but I'm sure that they'd still get the appropriate amount of financial royalties as Doom's publisher from the free advertising and exposure that Smash would bring.

As for Fallout, unless they confirm that supposed Fallout 4 port for the Switch, don't even try to consider the possibility of anyone from this franchise - which has had practically zero presence on a Nintendo console period - has even a sliver of hope of becoming a fighter.

And Wolfenstein? With today's political ****show being as chaotic as it is, the last thing we need is arguments about Nazis in Smash, since that'll just drag us further down the sewers alongside crowds of undesirable people which one should never associate themselves with.

Want - 100 bloody percent. If he isn't chosen, I'll still be happy on the condition that the five DLC characters chosen by Nintendo aren't Corrin-styled corporate decisions made to push a future game (though including the Doom Slayer on that basis would admittedly work well for advertising Eternal on the Switch, especially when packed with a "Buy the game, get the fighter in Smash" deal).

Nominations: I dunno. Continued support of the game for a majority of the Switch's lifespan in the form of regular updates released several months apart from each other and including new fighters, echo fighters, stages, music and mode updates/additions?

Edit: added in additional Doom 1 GBA port. Thanks RileyXY1 for bringing light to this!

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Doomdude
Nintendo is choosing who can be DLC. They are less likely imo to allow characters from brutal series to fight against Mario, Pikachu and the Squid Kids than Sakurai. This puts a damper on the chances of any character from M-rated games, let alone a series as reliant on violence and gore as DOOM. Ignore Doomguy as a character for a sec and think about how a DOOM stage would work. I don't think they can put in Hell with any of its grotesque demons, along with music that would sound nothing like the rest of the ost. Some major censorship would have to be done to not up the age rating. Then there's also the fact DOOM and the entire FPS genre isn't all that popular in Japan. While there have been some rumors going around about Bethesda talking with Nintendo about Smash, I don't see it being Doomguy.

Want: Abstain

Travis: 11.27%

CGI DLC trailers x15
Hollow Knight x10

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
Doom Guy
Chance:5%-While he may deserve to be in, he is from a rated-M game series. But he still might somehow get in, because he is from one of the most popular SNES games.

Abstaining on want because I don’t know enough about him.

Noms:9-Volt x10, Concept:Crazy Taxi newcomer x10

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The DOOM Slayer (and yes, he's called that since "Doomguy" has and will always be an unofficial nickname.)

Chance: A good 40-50%.

Do thee not know how Doom not only has 2 Switch ports (2016 and Eternal, the latter available at launch), but also a SNES port (Doom), a GBA port (Doom 2) and a console-exclusive N64 title (creatively named Doom 64)??!?! (Though Cheezey Bites thankfully gets this, proving that at least one other person here knows).

Doom was never always about gratuitous blood, guts and gore. Despite being lambasted for its violence, Classic Doom's relatively tame sprite animations haven't exactly aged too well in that department. Said violence and gore were only cemented in the minds of the Doom fanbase by a combination of the morally-panicked cries of clueless parents/priests and Brutal Doom's widespread infamy (which the modern iteration of Doom takes plenty of inspiration from). That's not even getting to the other rated-M characters like Bayonetta being added in (and don't you even think the Smash Ballot excused her, Nintendo and Sakurai were well within their right to pick a more inoffensive runner-up over whoever became the ballot winner), who is arguably even more sadistically violent than the Doom Slayer is (at least he's efficient with his kills and doesn't stoop to torturing them in often BDSM-suggestive contraptions).

One of the big comments made about Ridley's inclusion was the sheer brutality of his moveset/animations. How would this be any different for the Doom Slayer? Would the scrubbing away of the red stuff and the more overtly satanic imagery detract from the merciless, wrathful rampage wrought upon by a pair of fists, a sharp blade and an excess of lead? Hell no! What many people also tend to forget is that the Doom Slayer can also be humorously expressive (fist bumps, anyone) and has a comedic, tongue-in-cheek attitude that many people prefer to gloss over with the sound of "Merr, violence". What better way to juxtapose his pure rage with this fluffier side than in the (mostly) lighthearted Smash universe.

Speaking of guns, I ask you to take a good, long, hard look at some of the weapons in Eternal's lineup (which will most likely be the one used prominently) and ask yourself this question: Do these weapons bear enough resemblance to contemporary firearms to warrant the Doom Slayer's exclusion? The answer? Of course not! These things would either count as being futuristic-looking enough and/or possessing an appropriate amount of fantastic additions which bring them well outside the realms of reality (double-barrel shotgun with a grappling hook attachment in the form of twin chain-fired blades which can only latch onto organic targets, anyone?)

To those thinking the Dovahkiin has a chance... please stop, you've had one too many flasks of Sleeping Tree sap. This person has less character than the Doom Slayer (no doubt due to being a literal blank canvas which the player fills in the details, including gender and race), only has a single port to his name (as opposed to four plus a console-exclusive title) and whose home game doesn't exactly possess any sort of notable legacy on par with Doom being "the king of the FPS genre". Sure, Bethesda would likely prefer a home-grown game's inclusion, but I'm sure that they'd still get the appropriate amount of financial royalties as Doom's publisher from the free advertising and exposure that Smash would bring.

As for Fallout, unless they confirm that supposed Fallout 4 port for the Switch, don't even try to consider the possibility of anyone from this franchise - which has had practically zero presence on a Nintendo console period - has even a sliver of hope of becoming a fighter.

And Wolfenstein? With today's political ****show being as chaotic as it is, the last thing we need is arguments about Nazis in Smash, since that'll just drag us further down the sewers alongside crowds of undesirable people which one should never associate themselves with.

Want - 100 bloody percent. If he isn't chosen, I'll still be happy on the condition that the five DLC characters chosen by Nintendo aren't Corrin-styled corporate decisions made to push a future game (though including the Doom Slayer on that basis would admittedly work well for advertising Eternal on the Switch, especially when packed with a "Buy the game, get the fighter in Smash" deal).

Nominations: I dunno. Continued support of the game for a majority of the Switch's lifespan in the form of regular updates released several months apart from each other and including new fighters, echo fighters, stages, music and mode updates/additions?
Actually, Doom has two ports for the GBA. Both the original Doom and Doom 2 were ported.

Troykv

Smash Master
Doom Guy

Technically not impossible, and it fits some of the criteria of the Third Party characters that appear in Smash Bros; however Doom Guy suffers a little but very important problem; his main appeal is related with very bloody and gross stuff that isn't fair game for the kind of game that Smash Bros is.

Also; it's a western character created with western sensibilities... isn't exactly fun for japanese people.

Want: 40%

Well... I'm not sure what to expect from him; but isn't exactly the kind of character appeals to me in Smash Gameplay.

_____

Predictions:

Travis Touchdown: 9.6%

Nominations:

Reimu Hakurei x5

FancySmash

Smash Lord
At Doom's Gate

So let me get this straight, what we have here is a character from a rated M series that's even more violent than the already existing M rated series', Bayonetta and Metal Gear? Hmm, that already doesn't bode well for him. Not even taking into account the competition he has in both the form of FPS representation, and Bethesda representation. I'm just not sure this would be the choice Nintendo goes for.

Here's the thing, I know next to nothing about FPS games. The closest I've played is... Splatoon. Definitely not the right guy to give a fair judge of want from this.

Predict: Travis Touchdown
Hasn't his creator pestered Sakurai about getting this guy in Smash before, and each time Sakurai waves it off? Yeah, not looking great... 11%

Nominate: Professor Hector x5 (I'll hold onto my extra nominations if that's OK)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Doomguy

Chance: 25%

For the base game, I'd say his chances were much lower, but seeing as DLC's only just started development, he seems more likely. We know that Bethesda has spoken to Nintendo about Smash Bros., and they do seem to consider the Switch to be a priority; they're putting quite a few games on the console while other graphics-heavy titles are skipping the system, and Doom Eternal is apparently being launched at the same time on the Switch as it is on other platforms.

As far as violence goes, many people said the same sort of thing about Bayonetta (along with her sexuality), and that didn't stop her from being toned down and included. A game or franchise being M-rated is no reason whatsoever for it to not make it into Smash - in case anyone's forgotten, both the very first third party character, along with the winner of the Smash Ballot, came from M-rated third party franchises.

Brutality isn't an inherent part of the character; Doomguy's made it into Quake Champions and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 without them feeling the need to include him ripping off someone's arm and beating them to death with it, so the same thing could apply to Smash.

My main concern is the difficulty of negotiating a character's inclusion when there's a language barrier in the way. Sure, in this day and age, it shouldn't really be an issue, but Sakurai hasn't even included Rayman in Smash yet in spite of getting permission to use the character multiple times and the existence of a crossover between Rayman (well, the Rabbids, but that's a Rayman sub-series) and Mario. First person shooters aren't traditionally popular in Japan, and while Sakurai has brought up John Carmack alongside developers like Hideki Kamiya, Tetsuya Nomura, and Yoko Taro, I don't know how likely it is that he'd include a character from a genre that's niche in his home country and a company that only recently put their latest games on Nintendo consoles.

Want: 95%

My main experience with the Doom series comes from the 2016 game, but based on that alone, he seems like he would be a ton of fun. Even if they limited his moveset to remove realistic firearms (which, for the 2016 game, would pretty much be the shotguns and the primary fire of the assault rifle), they could still base his gameplay around the mobility of the Doom games, as well as encouraging that players get up close and personal like they did for Doom 2016.

The main reason why it's not 100% is because there are a few characters that I think should REALLY be in by this point. Rayman, for starters; it seems weird that Sakurai's gotten permission to use him twice, and only included him as a trophy or sticker when he's the mascot of a major third party company. Also, Bandanna Waddle Dee and Elma seem like they'd make a lot of sense - both Kirby and Xenoblade were strangely ignored in this game, in spite of a bunch of new releases since Smash 4.

He might not be my most-wanted third party character, but he's definitely in the top three.

Not going to bother making a prediction for Travis.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Doom Guy

Chance - 7.5% - With Nintendo at the reins, things do not look that good. Yes, Doom is super iconic, but it's hard to say that Nintendo would want him in. I think Nintendo would rather have another character from their lineup rather than him.

Want - 40% - I recognize that he's iconic. I just would rather have many other characters first.

Prediction

Travis Touchdown - 8.35% - Not likely...

Nominations

Arle Nadja X10

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Doom Guy

Chance - 10%. So there's been rumors of one of the 5 DLC characters being a Bethesda character. It's possible but I don't think it's likely, since I only recall Edler Scrolls having some notability in Japan out of all Bethesda's properties.

Want: 50%. I guess he would be okay. I'd be fine either way.

Travis Prediction: 6.55%

Nominate All DLC is 3rd Party x5

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Doomguy

Western. Third Party. Hyper violent to the point Bayonetta and Solid Snake pale in comparison. For some reason I can't see him happening, even though DOOM is a genre defining game.

I still haven't played the latest DOOM which is ridiculous since it was on my wishlist. I actually love first person shooters(which you may not be able to tell thanks to my love of cutesy platformers). I'm not super familiar with Doomguy as a whole although I recognise DOOM for the massive success story it is within video game history...not entirely sure I want to see him brutalise Isabelle, Yoshi or Pikachu honestly. I feel he'd need to be toned down similar to Bayonetta.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Doom guy
Chance- 25%
Want- 90%

Not my first pick for a shooter rep. I'd also think he'd fit in better in say, the next Mortal Kombat more than Smash.

But I'd be down. Doom 2016 was a blast, and Eternal is my most anticipated game of next year.

Not sure how likely he'd be.
Nominations- Porky x5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 Hate to bother you, but noms? (Post-Crash/Pre-Doom Slayer) It's been a while.

EDIT: Just now I notice that exact name in the viewing section, meaning it's probably already being written.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sorry for lateness, DM'd a day-long D&D session.

Over 200

Arle Nadja x210

200 - 151

150 - 101

Rhythm Girl x145
Concept: All DLC will be third-party x130
Kat & Ana x105
Nero Claudius (Fate) x105

100 - 51

Grovyle x100
Concept: More DLC x95
Concept: Stages outside Fighter Pass x90
Concept: CGI trailers for newcomers (barring Piranha Plant) x90
Concept: Gen 8 Pokemon x90
Mach Rider x90
Boss: Kracko x85
Concept: No fan favorite/highly requested characters x85
Reaper (Overwatch) x85
Professor Hector x79
Concept: Third-party character from unrepped Company x75
Lora (Xenoblade) x65
Impa x65
Reimu Hakurei x60

50 - 25

Hollow Knight x42
Papyrus x35
Andy (Advance Wars) x35
9-Volt x34
Concept: Assist Trophy becomes Fighter x30
Concept: Boss Rush x30
Creeper x29
Concept: All DLC will be first-party x25
Thrall (Warcraft) x25
Porky Minch x25

Under 25

Boss: Perfect Chaos x20
Ninten x20
Sephiroth x20
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Pyra & Mythra (sans Rex) x15
Frisk x10
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x10
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei rep x10
Decidueye x10
Concept: Bethesda rep x10
Blacephalon x5
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x5
Amaterasu x5
Monokuma x5
Concept: Another joke character x5
Neptune x5
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x5
Ravio x5
Lizalfos x4
Toon Zelda x3
Urbosa x1
[Rerate] Steve? x1

Arle Nadja is over 200 noms. There are no more categories for her to inaugurate.

Kat & Ana and Nero Claudius cut past 100 noms.

Reimu Hakurei shoots her way through the 50 nomination mark.

Porky Minch warps over 25 noms.

Today’s new challengers are Frog (aka the best character ever), Ravio (both with 5 noms), Urbosa, and a rerate of Steve for some reason (each with a single nom).

Quick tagging of those with extra noms:
FancySmash FancySmash Sari Sari Sid-cada Sid-cada and Ze Diglett Ze Diglett have 5 extra noms each, while waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi has a whopping 20 extra noms.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I think the reason why the Steve rerate is a thing is because when we did Steve day, he was considered leaked until further notice, but recent developments have changed Steve's likelihood.

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
Doomguy

Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash, so it's possible that we're seeing a Bethesda rep., but I don't believe Doomguy would be the one representing the company in Smash. For one, like everyone said here, he's a violent character and such had no place in Smash at all. He may had some Nintendo history, but it's not enough to warrant him a spot in Smash and the fact that he's from a Western company also hurts his chances.

I gotta admit, I haven't played any Doom games for a while, so I abstain on want.

Nominations:
3rd Party Character from an unrepped company x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Travis Touchdown

Chance: 3%. Yeah, I haven't heard anything about him. Sadly I don't think he was popular or notable enough to be considered DLC by Nintendo.

Want: ABSTAINED

Dovakiin Prediction: 4.55%

Nominate All DLC are 3rd Party x5

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Travis Touchdown

Suda51 really wants him for Smash and Travis Strikes Again will probably give him a renewed interest for his inclusion in Smash when it releases next year. Unfortunately that is all he really has going for him as he still has a ton of competition with tons of more requested third party picks. Also since Nintendo provided Sakurai the possible DLC options Travis may have just barely flown under the radar.

Always wanted to play No More Heroes but never got the chance so I won’t give an exact score. I will say that I'd probably be pretty happy with his inclusion.

Dovahkiin chance prediction: 9.81%

Nominations:
Concept: SNK rep x5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Touchdown like in football?

Chance: 15%. I'm pretty sure that Travis Strikes Again has come way too late to matter in his chances. Suda51 wants him to happen, but who doesn't want their character in a crossover? I... can't really see much going in his favor. At least he doesn't have to worry about being too mature, seeing as Bayonetta basically gives a pass to people of a lower tier than her.

Want: I'm going to abstain this time. Had I played No More Heroes, I might've been more apt at talking about him or his chances. Unfortunately I can't see much from this guy, a shame. I'll get around to it at some point.

Arle Nadja x 5. Dovahkiin prediction: 10.67%.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
IDIOT McHOMERUN
Chance: 20%
Want: 55%

Oh look! Another rated M character! The only difference between him and Doom Boi is that he doesn't need toning down! And he doesn't come from a company that's in full damage control! Travis Touchdown recently got a new game on the Switch called Travis Strikes Again. He would require barely any toning down at all, the only thing needing it is his use of curse words and sexual references. His developer Suda51 apparently really wants him for Smash as well, and he would make great promotional material that isn't a Fire Emblem character. Though he isn't highly requested as a character, and I think Crash would be better in the promotional department for the N. Sane Trilogy. As for moveset, he's got a lot of potential. He carries a beam katana, and has a wide variety of special attacks seen in the Travis Strikes Again trailer. Though I am indifferent towards him, he seems like a lot of fun to play, so 55% seems reasonable to me. His trailer would fit too perfectly, considering he's traveling through the video game dimension, he's eventually gonna end up in Smash at some point during his journey.

Dovahkiin: 18.71%

Reaper x5

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Travis Touchdown

Not a gaming icon on the level of other third parties in Smash. Has some interesting abilities and has appeared on a Nintendo console, but other than that there really isn't much to warrant his inclusion IMO.

Never had an interest in him or his games. I wouldn't want him in over a many others, including other third parties. Crossovers with third parties should be for truly notable characters, as they have to justify themselves over many other deserving in-house options.

Top Bottom