• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Takamaru

Chance- 50%
Sakurai has considered the guy but opted not to because us westerners would go "Who the hell is Takamaru." But he has made some recognition thanks to Smash 4. And people seem to want him in so...
Want- 25%
Yeah not interested. Still a complete unknown who has only had one game. Also, anytime someone mentions his move set potential, the only thing I'm thinking about is how Ryu Hayabusa can do all of those things and more.

Nominations- Ryu Hayabusa x5

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Chance: 84%

The frontrunner for the retros; he's the only one we can reasonably predict. He had a 3DS port in America, plus he was an Assist Trophy in Sm4sh, so Masahiro has no reason to reject him.

Want: 42%

He seems to be the retro with the best, most legit moveset potential. Apparently, he was also part of an NES quartet with :4link::4samus::4pit:. If that was true, Takamaru getting in would be justice.

Nominations: Urban Champion ×5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Takamaru

Chance - 65% - He's the most likely retro curetly in my opnion, having good moveset potential and known to be on Sakruai's radar. That said, relative obscurety in the west, despite an E-shop release and a few reference now, and competion prevents me from going much higher. I don't feel comforable giving any retro higher than him, though.

Want - 75% - He'd be interesting to be sure.

Prediction

Rayman - 78.35% - Should be relatively good...

Nominations
Anna X5

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Takamaru

Chance: 45%

One of the few characters that we know for a fact Sakurai has considered to be playable in Smash Brothers. It's pretty easy to see why, he has a unique design and plenty of potential for an interesting moveset. He was passed over due to lack of popularity in the West (Which has not changed), but that hasn't stopped other characters from making it in in the past. If anything, including Takamaru in Smash is probably the best way to boost his popularity in the west, look at what happened to Fire Emblem!

Want: 60%

If it weren't for Smash Brothers speculation I would have no idea who Takamaru is. I would not be particularly stoked to see him included, but I wouldn't mind the chance to play as him. Samurai are cool, ya know?

Prediction for Rayman: 42%

Nominating Bomberman x5

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Takamaru

Chance: 25%
He's been considered before and was seemingly excluded solely due to the lack of Western recognition, but that's the problem here: things barely changed at all in that aspect. The 3DS VC just came and went with little impact, and the Assist Trophy in Smash 4 probably doesn't matter much either since the only people in the West who cared enough about it were the people who already knew about him since, honestly, casuals barely remember the Assist Trophy characters themselves if they weren't already recognizable. Honestly, the only way to definitely make him more well known to the West would be if A) Nintendo were to really go all out with Murasame Castle references, B) a new Murasame game, or C) if Takamaru became playable in Smash in the first place... oh the irony there. Painful irony. I guess the 3DS VC release and AT might be enough to change Sakurai's mind but I doubt it.

Want: 50%
Eh. I wouldn't mind I guess because as far as potential retro characters go, he's alright. Still, there's a samurai I'd much, much, MUCH rather see playable in Smash, even if I admit I'm biased as hell for that one. I don't think it should be too hard to guess who I'm talking about if you know me well enough.

Rayman Predictions: 40%

Nominations: Dr. Eggman X5

:094:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Takamaru

Chance: 50%
He's been the character that Sakurai considers, but has always ignored due to his lack of familiarity to the west. Now that his game has finally come over to the west, things may actually look up for him since that barrier looks to have been breached. Really, now it's just a question now of whether it's enough to convince Sakurai that the character has enough familiarity to be put into the game, and whether there are other Retro picks that could be considered over him.

Completely neutral on him.

Nominations:
Dillon x3
Lycanroc x1
Mimikyu x1

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Takamaru

Chances: 75%
Seems to be mentioned quite a bit as the next retro rep in line although you never truly know what will happen int that catagory.

Never played the game but bringing the franchise back in some spot light would be cool and who knows what could happen if he seems to be a popular addition but I think i would still prefer someone like balloon fighter.

Nomination: Ryu Hayabusa X5

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Takamaru <Murasame Castle> as a playable character:
Chance: 50% - Sakurai said before that Takamaru was considered before being dismissed for lack of exposure outside of Japan. While I doubt the VC release has changed his mind on that, there's still that chance that he becomes the next Marth or Pit, brought in as a nostalgia pick for Japanese fans, and it spin off into a new series of games for him.

Want: 30% - Sorry Takamaru, you're cool and all and i've no doubt that you would be fun to play, but if any swordsman was being promoted out of the ATs, i'd rather it be Saki.

Predictions:
Rayman as a playable character: 60% Chance, 80% Want

Nominations:
Cross/Rook <the Avatar> from Xenoblade X as a playable character: x5

D

Deleted member

Takamaru

Chance: 75%

He's already been considered before and was an AT. His one issue was western exposure which has been solved. By far the most likely retro character.

Want: 5%

That said, I would much prefer Excitebiker and Lyn, depending on whether you look at him as a retro character or as a sword fighter.

Rayman Prediction: 35.7%

Nominations: Lyn x3, Excitebiker x2

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Takamaru

He'll certainly be considered again, we'll see if it leads to anything this time. There's definitely a good shot, but no guarantee.

Want: 35%

Rayman: 38%

Lyn x 5

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Takamaru

Chance: 66%
Been considered in the past before (Melee and Smash Wii U / 3DS), and probably will be considered at the least once more. He's definitely one of the big retro picks in general (probably the retro pick) and has an actual shot of making the next game. He's still somewhat obscure, but that's kind of the point of the left field pick from the old era, right?

Want: 70%
Samurais are cool.

Nominations: Celica x5

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle, 1986)

Chance: 65%
He certainly has a solid shot because of his Assist Trophy status + highly considered retro rep status from Sakurai, but I feel like being a sword user holds him back a bit, just because of all of the sword backlash from Smash 4 and how he's completely unknown in the west. Pretty sure he's the most likely retro character, unless the Ice Climbers returning count as a new retro character.

Don't really know who he is, but samurais are cool. He's pretty much the only samurai character to have a solid shot at getting into Smash, unless they go crazy and pull something from 1-2 Switch.

Nominations: Lyn x5

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Takamaru

Chance - 60%
Considered in the past, made the move to the West thanks to the recent release and Smash 4 as an AT. Has a decent demand despite being retro. I think he stands a good chance.

Want -
50%
Neutral but I think we expect and don't mind the retro pick nowadays. If he is in, that would be alright with me.

Rayman prediction: 61.6% chance

Noms: Phoenix Wright x2, Cranky Kong x1, Toon Zelda x2

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Takamaru

Ommitted in the past due to Western obscurity but he's been making a better name for himself...I don't think he's the most likely assist trophy to get promoted however...

Want: 10%
Not as familiar with him but I feel people mainly choose him simply to fill the 'retro' slot, to which I don't feel there's an absolute obligation...

---

Prediction:
Rayman 55.6%

---

Zelda Newcomer x5

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Takamaru

Chance: 50% An assist trophy is a powerful thing, and Sakurai's favor is even more powerful. On the other hand, his exposure to Western audiences is minimal at best. It's a tough sell for anyone outside of his fan-base, which leaves me ruling him as a coin-toss.

Want: 20% I'm not attached to this character in the slightest. It's another sword-fighter from a series I don't care about. No thank you.

Predictions: Rayman 38%

Nominations: Chibi-Robo x5

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Takamaru:
Chance: 50% One of the most likely retro chararacters that has an assist trophy in SSB4, and of course his game got localized in the west. His real competition is Ayumi Tachibana and while she is Japan only(unless her costume in Super Mario Maker counts), she has that "WTF" factor that Sakurai likes to include for some retro characters like Mr. G&W, R.O.B and Duck Hunt.

Want: 100%
I would love to have an eastern swordfighter in this game.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Takamaru joining Smash Switch is clear as day, in my opinion. We have already seen Nintendo and Sakurai dedicating some love to the Famicom game with Nintendo Land's mini-game, 3DS Virtual Console release, Takamaru's AT role and Mii costumes in Smash 4.

I feel what happened back in Smash 4 early planning in terms of the newcomer selection was that one retro and one retro hardware representative were planned from the very start. Duck Hunt Dog was the first selected to be Smash 4's 'surprise' character according to the Smash 4 slideshow proposal. Takamaru, was not in specific competition of that category. I feel, Takamaru was competing against Little Mac for the only standard retro newcomer spot. Although both had strong reasons to get into Smash, I think Mac was ultimately chosen over because of his worldwide appeal, especially noting the retro revival game that was Punch Out!! Wii that came out in 2009.

Being the only category Takamaru likely had a chance to be chosen in, it is VERY easy to understand why Takamaru could not get in Smash 4 despite merits. Getting in as DLC was not an option for Takamaru either, as I feel it was likely the retro category was hardly considered for the DLC selection. Now here is the interesting part.

Assuming that development started around in 2016 when Sakurai confirmed that he is working on the next project (likely being Smash Bros. Switch), there were no notable retro revival games from classic franchises from Nintendo that came during the timespan of Smash 4 and now. Given that selection of newcomers were likely selected from the beginning, Sakurai will have likely chosen the next standard retro candidate the same way as he did in Melee and Brawl (With Pit and Ice Climbers coming to mind). With no retro revivals to compete with, given everything I explained here, with Smash 4 content and pushes of the Murasame game from Nintendo, and one spot likely being reserved for one retro character again like Mac, with everything considered, it all lines up for Takamaru to be the next contender.

Sakurai had already noted the game's historical relationship with Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus as an important point of Takamaru back in the Pic of the Day. I feel that status gives him the edge of consideration also. The only thing that would stand in the away for competition is if there were a major retro revival for a classic franchise other than Murasame Castle that Nintendo wants to promote badly, assuming the game comes out in 2018 in time for promotion. But I feel that is very unlikely at this point in time. I would be very surprised if anyone else got chosen other than Takamaru, unless in the case that Sakurai reconsiders Balloon Fighter and puts him in competition of Takamaru in honor of Iwata. Those are the only two candidates I can see Sakurai reconsidering for top retro candidates again. That and obscure status potentially being very large obstacles of Sakurai adding Takamaru, those are his only problems I can see. But, I can see Sakurai getting past that pretty easily and taking the risk to make the samurai finally playable in Smash.

Takamaru, to me, is literally in the very front of the line to get in Smash now.

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Takamaru
Chance- 68%
Don't have much to add. I pretty much agree with everything said by people with similar scores. Bumped this up a little from what I expected just because some of the points have been so well-conveyed.
Want- 90%
I don't have much personal attachment with the character, but I like the idea of a samurai. He could be a lot of fun if done right. Along with Isaac, they're probably the only swordsmen that interest me at all for this game.

Rayman Predictions- 35%

Nominations:
Andy x3
Dillon x2

Last edited:

MrNantendo

Smash Cadet
Mah boi Takamaru today

Chance: 85%

The only thing holding him back before was that he was a Japan-exclusive character with one game however Nintendo Land and his debut on the 3DS VC changed that (as did Smash and his appearances there). Now he is known and was popular enough to get a Mii Fighter outfit. The only thing getting in his way is if Sakurai wants a retro-rep or not this time and if they don't get lazy and just keep all the AT as is.

Takamaru is my number 1 character for Smash, I really hope he gets in.

Nomination: Susie (kirby) x5

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly agree with BluePikmin.

Chance: 100%
The conditions that Sakurai set (which carries the implication that it would happen, especially as he seemingly wants that to be the case) have more or less been met and he is one of the only feasible "retro" characters remaining.

Want: 10%
Not even going to lie, I do not like him that much. I prefer him to most of the alternatives, however.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Chance: 80%
All these points that were made have convinced me that he has a good chance
Want: 55%
Sure I guess

Rayman Prediction:
31.12%

Nominations:
Sonic x2
Shadow x2
Greninja x1

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Takamaru:

Chances 75%: I believe it is more likely than unlikely that Takamaru will get in as he is from what I've seen the most or among the most requested retro characters.

Want 75%: I don't know anything about him but he seems he like he would make a great addition to Smash Bros. My hope is that if Takamaru gets added he'll get the Pit treatment. Meaning hopefully he'll get a full brand new game. Imagine as Murasama Castle was like Legend of Zelda set in Japan now it could play like the newer Legend of Zeldas like Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword (minus the motion control hopefully).

Nominations:
Jibanyan 2x
Midna 2x
Skull Kid 1x

Last edited:

Mighty Moose

Smash Cadet

He's easily the most feasible retro character remaining, and we all know there's going to be a retro addition. Ironically this could also hinder him, as from the outside it almost seems Sakurai prefers the quirky/wtf/unique retro additions over more regular choices (G&W, ICs and ROB all getting in before Little Mac for example). I can't think of anyone else with a shot except Balloon Fighter though, and i'd give the edge to Takamaru over him in several areas.

Want: 55%
I know basically nothing about Takamaru. However, i'm a softy at heart, and since he's so popular with people my heart says '**** it, it'd be cool to have him in anyway.'

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Takamaru

Sakurai has considered him in the past, but ended up opting against him because Murasame Castle was a Japan-exclusive title and thus quite obscure to the West. Now, his game finally had a western release through eshop, so it's helped boost his recognition amongst Westerners. With a rather unique moveset emphasizing a Samurai-based fighting style combined with shuriken throws, it's no surprise Sakurai would consider him as a Smash fighter. Only real issue is that his Western exposure isn't that strong, but honestly, I think his chances have been improving.

Don't really know much about the character beyond his AT appearance in Smash 4 and the Murasame minigame in Nintendo Land, but I wouldn't mind him. He has some pretty nice moveset potential. Samurai-style fighters are a welcome addition in my book.

------

Predictions

Rayman (Rayman): 35.34%

That trophy appearance in Smash 4 + his solid popularity = a probably decent chance for his inclusion as a third party.

------

Nominations

Professor Layton (Professor Layton): x5

Pennate

Smash Cadet
Takamaru:

Chance: 70%
Takamaru was already considered for Smash 4, which shows that Sakurai considers him a viable fighter. If Takamaru is intended to fill a retro character slot, his biggest competition would likely come from a few of his contemporaries that happen to have encountered similar situations in past titles, such as Balloon Fighter or Mach Rider, but Takamaru nevertheless has the strongest case for inclusion because the release of his game in the West eliminates the primary reason for his exclusion.

I'm neutral on this matter. I wouldn't object to Takamaru's inclusion, but I wouldn't request it, either.

Nominations:
Excitebiker x3
Ganon x2

D

Deleted member

Takamaru

He was a character highlighted when his picture was shown way back when in the Smash picture of the day! And a cool trophy my knowledge of the Mysterious Murasame Castle is limited but he'd represent the series well.

Don't really care if he gets in or not but he seems a cool character would love to see what he could do.

Nominations
Decidueye x5
Isaac x5 (Isaac from Golden Sun.)
Captain Falcon x5 (I guess most of the veteran characters are returning but I'll vote for him.)

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Takamaru

He was a character highlighted when his picture was shown way back when in the Smash picture of the day! And a cool trophy my knowledge of the Mysterious Murasame Castle is limited but he'd represent the series well.

Don't really care if he gets in or not but he seems a cool character would love to see what he could do.

Nominations
Decidueye x5
Isaac x5 (Isaac from Golden Sun.)
Captain Falcon x5 (I guess most of the veteran characters are returning but I'll vote for him.)
Isaac has already been rated a few days ago, and I think will not be able to be nominated for a rerate before a cooldown period. I think TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom you should define the post-rating cooldown period after which a character can be nominated for a rerate, something like 30 days would do it I think.
Captain Falcon is in the "don't bother nominating" list, he's one of those veteran characters deemed so likely rating him would be considered by most to be a waste of our time.
Also you're limited to five nominations per day, but you're using fifteen in your post. To be fair we only have to ignore your nominations for Isaac and Captain Falcon to have legal nominations, so I suggest you to change them to only five for Decidueye.

Edit: apparently there's already a rule for rerates: "If you wish to discuss a character again start nominating them for a rerate, however please wait at least two weeks before renominating a character." (first post)

Last edited:

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Takamaru

Sakurai set his eyes on him in smash 4, he could easily do it nyagain and this time make him playable mew.

Never played the game before nya, but looks interesting enough mew.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Takamaru
Chance: 55%

I think there's going to be at least one retro and one assist trophy promotion, and he's a frontrunner on both accounts. Echoing what others have said, he's been considered before but didn't make the cut because of Western obscurity. He's certainly going to be in consideration again, and he has now gotten a little more exposure thanks to his game being localized and his content in 4. He also does have some demand. Whether or not that will be enough for Sakurai to decide to bring him in this time, I'm personally not entirely sure. I think a coin flip would be fair, but after thinking about it I've decided he's at least slightly more likely to get in than not.

I will also say that I fully expect him to become playable eventually, even if it's not this game.

I'd be fine with it. There are other retro characters I'd personally prefer, but I do like them in general, and he has potential to be a fun enough addition.

Rayman prediction: 42.18%

Nominations: Jibanyan x5

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Takamaru

Chance: 60%

He was an Assist Trophy back in Smash 4, which proves that Sakurai's got his eye on him. Alongside that, every game's gotta have one retro character, and Takamaru fits the bill pretty cleanly.

Want: 75%

He looks like a damn cool character, and I would LOVE to see what Sakurai can do with the guy.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Takamaru want: 20%

If there has to be a retro character, I would pick him. His upgrades make his moveset potential interesting.

Nominations:

Decloned Ganondorf x5

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Takamaru

Well, he was considered before, and didn't make it in. Sakurai thought maybe he was too obscure. He's gotten a little more prominence since Brawl, in the form of an AT, Mii costume and inclusion in some other games (Nintendo Land, Samurai Warriors 3).

If Nintendo wanted to revive Takamaru in some form for a Switch game, for a game featuring samurai and ninja, he would get a big boost, but there's no indication really that that will happen.

There is also a bit of a glut of sword users in the game already. However, Takamaru would likely be more like Link and Robin, with more projectiles and such, rather than Marth/Lucina/Roy/Ike/Shulk who don't have any (Cloud and Corrin fall somewhere in between). Still, swords with magic/projectiles is not an unrepresented archetype, so Sakurai would need to think of some way to make him stand out. He is very well-suited to making a fighter, but throwing stars and fireballs won't necessarily make him that different from Link/Robin (he could perhaps be lighter and quicker than those other two though).

Takamaru chances: 25%
He's got a pretty decent chance, and has been getting a bit more recognition. But he is still relatively obscure nonetheless.

Takamaru want: 55%
I'm fairly indifferent. If Sakurai can make him interesting he could be cool, but he doesn't represent a totally different type of character. A samurai is cool, but not way cooler than some other options.

Nominations: Roy x5

Rayman prediction: 35%

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Takamaru
I think Sakurai has shown he likes him, and he would probably be easy to implement. He makes sense as a retro character. It just depends how many newcomers are added this time. I think he may have to wait a bit longer.

Not invested in him but he seems cool.

Rayman prediction: 53%

Nominations: Pyra/Mythra x2, Elma x2, Mipha

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Takamaru

A character that's been considered since Melee. Out of the remaining retro Nintendo characters there are, Takamaru is the one who has the highest chance right now imo. His only competition I can see being are Balloon Fighter and an Excite Biker. While Western familiarity has been an issue for him, his game being represented in Nintendo Land and his game finally releasing in the West definitely helps. Not to mention, he has an assist trophy, a mii costume, and even a remix/medley of music from his game in Smash 4 already. I think the exposure is the push Takamaru needs to finally be added.

Before Duck Hunt's reveal, Takamaru was my #1 choice for a retro newcomer. While not a big fan of the game he comes from, his design and style of swordplay won me over in wanting his inclusion. His mii costume was a great inclusion but only raised my want for the character. He's definitely one of the few characters I still really want in Smash.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
don't know how much time is left gotta do this quick
Takamaru
Want: 70%

Rayman prediction: 19.95%
Noms: Crash Bandicoot x5

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Gotta get back, gotta get back, Samurai Tak!

Chance- 55%
As many others have said, Sakurai seems to be fond of this character, but resisted on the account of him being "too obscure". I think his appearance as an AT (along with the other stuff mentioned) has put a pretty big push on his chances. Also, idk if anyone has mentioned this, but I think it's possible that the brand new Murusame Castle melody featured in Smash 4 may be a relic of Takumaru's consideration. Maybe it was created to pitch the character but was turned down, but the song remained in the game and the model was used to create the AT? Not likely, but certainly possible.

Want- 60%
I think he'd have a cool moveset, and I'm always down for some retro characters. Although a big factor of retro characters for me is seeing the old characters adapted in HD, and we already saw him as an AT, so a teeny tiny bit of hype is lost for me. Nowhere near enough of a factor to make me not want the character, though.

Rayman- 64.99%

Banjo Kazooie X 3
Doomguy X 2

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Surprisingly short on time tonight, and I haven't been able to read any of today's discussion, but I'll quickly add in my thoughts:

Takamaru
Chance - 50%

Independent of anything else that may be happening with Takamaru, I think Sakurai has intentionally set him up as the next "retro" character to be added to Smash. As of Sm4sh he was a relatively obscure, Japan-only character, but now he's a character even casual Smash fans should be able to recognize due to the Assist Trophy and Mii Costume. I'm reluctant to call him a lock simply because the "retro" category is inherently unpredictable, assuming it's actually something Sakurai cares about, but I think it's difficult to call him any less than a coin-flip after his previous representation.
Want - 50%
I'm guessing I'd enjoy playing as him, but NES-era characters don't particularly interest me, so an indifferent want rating it is.

Nominations - Lucina x5

Prediction - Rayman - Chance 37.5%, Want 55%

Another day where I simply don't know what to expect, though I'm guessing he'll have some ardent supporters.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Takamaru Chance: Abstain

I don't have an attachment to the character but he would be pretty cool. I couldn't be opposed to his inclusion.

Rayman Prediction: 53%

Nominations: Shovel Knight x5

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Takamaru Chance: 60%
He's been considered for every game since Melee but dropped for being too obscure. Guess who's only gotten more appearances with time? From Captain Rainbow and Nintendo Land to a Smash 4 assist trophy + Mii costume and even a Western eShop release. Since Murasamejo and Zelda were sister games (same engine, different directions) it'd be interesting to see how a redesign could parallel all the shifts Zelda has seen especially after Breath of the Wild redesigned Link. He'd also fit in well with Link, Samus and Pit who all debuted in '87. Sakurai seems to love these kinds of details (remember Pac-Man and Mr. G&W's debut comparison?) almost as much as he loves bringing back old characters.
Movesetwise he has enough to separate him from other swordsmen; a quickdraw sword style and a focus on projectiles and parrying, where avoiding blows is just as important as landing them. That said, he's been considered so many times before and dropped so many times as well. He could easily fall victim to 'low priority' or 'overlooked for another retro rep'.
Takamaru Want: 75%
Besides Little Mac and maybe Prince of Sable he's easily my most wanted retro rep. I'd love to see how they work things like his context sensitive controls, his different projectiles and scroll abilities. The gameplay flow of Mysterious Murasame Castle basically boils down to "keep moving forward", so a character who can keep the pressure on while shutting down attempts to camp would be accurate and great to have.

Nominations: Elma x 5.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Takamaru:

Chance: 45%

Want: 5%

I have no connection with the character and I'm not seeing much he'd offer. Then again, I haven't played the game or done research so I don't really know.

Rayman Prediction: 40%

Nominations:
Ken Masters Alt Costume for Ryu x5

Top Bottom